Skip to main content

tv   Real Money With Ali Velshi  Al Jazeera  November 15, 2013 7:00pm-7:31pm EST

7:00 pm
>> this is al jazeera america live from new york city. i'm tony harris with a look at today's stories an update. ball state university in indiana remains on lockdown. there are reports of a possible gunman on campus in munsey. the police are on the scene, as you can see here, and are trying to secure the area where the gunman was seen. a michigan man was in court today facing numerous charges including second-degree murder, manslaughter and possession of a firearm. wafer is accused of killing a young black woman. the woman was trying to get help when she was shot. >> the bill is passed.
7:01 pm
>> a republican-backed bill that would allow people to keep their current medical insurance and also buy outside of the obama exchange. running water has been restored in some parts of the philippine. a crucial step towards preventing the outbreak of disease. typhoon haiyan hit there one week ago. the death toll has surpassed 3600 people. those are the headlines. if you would like the latest on any of our stories. let me direct you to our website at www.aljazeera.com. >> obamacare backlash, the latest white house change now has the insurance company's exasperated. we'll explain what it phones for you. the small sits are making a big problem. kids who graduate from high
7:02 pm
school will get free college tuition. we'll take to you the birthplace of the popcorn machine. i'm david shuster in for ali velshi, and this is "real money." >> this is "real money" and you're the most important part of the show. join us on twitter. the troubles keep piling up for president obama and his signature healthcare law. the president is facing a backlash over his plan to extend insurance policies canceled because they don't imply with the affordable care act. on friday executives gathered at the white house to say that his moves would create new problems for the industry and create higher premiums. insurance commissioners grade,
7:03 pm
and in case you didn't know it, the insurance plans are regulated by the states, not the federal government. but house republicans passed a bill that not only renews insurance plans canceled by obamacare but allow allows issue besides obamacare law. the bill will never see the light of day in the u.s. senate and become law. just in six weeks obamacare law has gone from problematic to chaotic. first confuse over policies up for cancellation. at the heart of the latest issue is why those canceled plans don't measure up to the requirements of obamacare. insurance companies are canceling policies because they don't comply with the new law.
7:04 pm
our resident expert in all things healthcare explains why. >> reporter: insurers have been mailing out millions of letters to people who buy their own health insurance plans. their welcome message, your old policy is no longer valid under obamacare and new policies in many case also cost more. there are ten reasons why those old plans may not make the grade. they're called the ten essential health benefits benefits and they're required under any insurance plan. unbeknownst to many americans all those benefits were always covered. first is outpatient care. the treatment you get without being admitted to the hospital. emergency room tripses will have to be covered. maternity, care before and after your baby is before. mental health, prescription drugs, physical, and occupational therapy, lab tests also preventive care,
7:05 pm
counseling, physicals, and dental care and vision care for children. plans that offer all ten benefits typically offer more robust health insurance than policies being canceled, and they're not allowed to discriminate based on gender. yet not everyone will need that coverage. a 55-year-old single man may have little need for maternity care but yet he has to pay for it. the administration did not make it clear in pushing the plan. >> the president never wanted to say this too explicitly. >> reporter: but insurance companies were well aware and priced in those costly benefits into new policies. and it's those pricing increases for some people that hel offered plans to sicker patients. >> the only way we're going to be able to afford health insurance for all americans, and the only way we're going to make this whole new system work is if in effect the young subsidize
7:06 pm
the old, and the healthy subsidize the sick on the theory that some day the young are going to be old. some day the healthy are going to be sick. >> reporter: while that formula for healthcare is relatively clear what happens now as insurers and commissioners try to sort through those old canceled plans is bound to be confusing uneven process that plays out differently in different states. al jazeera new york. >> some states have already announced that they will not allow insurance companies to offer plans that don't meet obamacare's new requirements that includes rhode island where insurance officials say 2014 plans have gone through a rigorous review problem to make sure that they meet the new standards. but it's a different story in california. they support the president's decision to let insurers renew
7:07 pm
plans. joining us from san francisco, mr. jones, if the healthy are not subsidizing the sick, if the young are not subsidizing the old, won't premiums go up for those who are not part of the system? >> reporter: well, allowing people and individual policies to renew their 2013 plans and 2014 plans will not be fatal to the risk pool. we're talking about people that have been given assurance, a promise that they can continue with their existing plans. but some of theming are go to move into the exchange because they're eligible for a premium subsidy. the other thing to recognize are the robust risk measures in the affordable care act. risk adjustment that will allow those plans that have a disproportion nat of sick people to get payments to offset those costs. it's certainly not fatal to
7:08 pm
allow people to renew, but conversely they were told they could stay in their existing plans, and i think they should be able to if they decide to do so. >> aren't there some insurance companies that will not survive this certainty in the next coming year? >> no, not at all. it's disengenius for blue shield and others to say this is fatal. when you look at the notices they've sent out in california those cancellation notices are steering people to different products. and fo to make sure that there e transfer payments to mitigate those costs. >> let's put aside the blue cross and blue shield and anthem there are other insurance companies, and aren't they free to jack up premiums a year from
7:09 pm
now because they won't have a clear look at rates for 2015. >> unfortunately in california they've been jacking. rates and they'll continue to jack up rates. there is nothing in the state law that gives the commissioner the ability to regulate those rates. i support having that authority, and there is a ballot on our ballot next year. what is incredibly important are consumers who were promised to keep their plans for another year should be able to do so. anthem and blue cross and blue shield will get a chance to renew customers in the first quarter. it was a challenge, but we did it. i'm confident that all companies can d do the right thing here. >> when someone has to suddenly going to the hospital and their plan doesn't cover it. if they can't forward to pay for
7:10 pm
that emergency room visit, who should pick up the cost? >> that's the whole point of the affordable care act. get everyone insured. that's why we're requiring insurance. we need to move the other 5 million into coverage, that's exactly what we're trying to do. >> you would acknowledge that the situation is up in the air. that situation will not be resolved because california and other states have decided not to enforce the requirements of the obamacare put out. >> no, that's not true at all. with regard to any new plans sold in 2014, they do have to comply with the affordable care act. that means the uninsured buying plans in 2014 will be buying plans and required to buy plans that are comply with respect with the affordable care act. it's just the smaller group of people in existing plans will be given the opportunity to renew. we're talking about sizable share of those having a premium
7:11 pm
subsidy such that they'll move into the exchange any way. i think it's important not to confuse those two points. >> fair enough. thank you for being on "real money." we appreciate it. >> thank you. >> you're welcome. states are split whether to allow insurance companies to renew old health plans or insist that the new plans meet obama's care new requirements. this means that the first years will be uneven, to say the least. let's get analysis of how that affects consumers. let's go to the university of southern california public policy in los angeles. they're allowing these policies to exist and they're not going to be canceled. what does it mean for consumers in the end? >> well, there is a real question whether the president's state policy will have a meaningful affect, whether or not the policy can be implemented. the national association of
7:12 pm
insurance commissioners have come out and said we don't know how this is going to work. more over, we view having a different sets of rules going into the marketplace that is detrimental to the overall system. >> would you agree there are those who say, look, the best course is to just stay the course. every plan for the benefit of everybody must have these requirements, the ten requirements that were in the piece we just saw, in the end that's better for everyone because then it makes the system work faster? >> well, there is certainly an argument to be made in that along those lines. i don't believe it's clearcut. the argument in favor is that if we had very bear bones plans, the healthy people will gravitate to those plans and leaving the unhealthy people in
7:13 pm
the comprehensive plans. and so in the extreme you don't want to happen. you do want people who are fortunate enough to be healthy now to be helping out the people who are not healthy now, vice versa when fortunes change. on the other hand, how much do you want to take it? how much do you want to restrict that freedom? one of those ten sings benefits is acupuncture. i have no problem with acupuncture, but there is a question of just how comprehensive things need to be. do you include everything under the sun in these benefits. >> people who simply have insurance now, they're essentially contractors, self employed. they're gets insurance by themselves yet they're the one who is are receiving notifications that their bear bones policies are not meeting
7:14 pm
the grade, that is right? >> in california it's 2 million folks, and roughly 1 million folks have been told they won't be able to have their plans next year. throughout the country it's 5 million people. 0 million people were expecting to get insurance through the new marketplaces. in some sense the filipino are bearing a heavy burden in hoping the other 30 people to access this. >> thank you for being on the program. we appreciate it. >> thank you. >> j.p. morgan chase agreed to pay $4.5 billion to investors. jp more dan bought bear-sterns in 2008. and they said the settlement does not include claims involving washington mutual whose banking operations it also
7:15 pm
bought in 2008. and this deal is not part of jp mormorgan's settlement with the government involving morgan securities. it's the kalamazoo promise. move into the city, and your kids will get a free college tuition. >> literally like bought a house within two weeks without selling our other one. people said you're crazy. i said someone will always live in the suburbs. but i want my kids to go to college without debt. >> popcorn and the sweet smell of success. we'll go to a factory that has been in business for generations.
7:16 pm
7:17 pm
>> 70 years ago it was glen miller the famous band leader who put a city on the map in a song ♪ i got a gal i'm not going to sing it, but in kalamazoo. they have a college program. the kalamazoo promise is now modeled at other cities and philanthropists around the country that they're trying to emulate. >> donny washington is already thinking about graduate school. >> law school is definitely something that i'm into. >> reporter: part of a social
7:18 pm
experiment funded by an anonymous donor and designed to revitalize kalamazoo, michigan. >> it gave that you extra push. >> reporter: students who completed grades 9 through 12 in kalamazoo gets 65% of fees covered. those who go through all 12 years in a kalamazoo public school gets a full scholarship. requirements, live within the school district. there is no gpa requirement, and the money can be used up to ten years after high school graduation. homeless when he moved to town be he said without the promise he would an different man. >> i probably would be dead or in jail to be honest with you. >> reporter: one in three live in poverty while many are struggling to stay in the middle class. since the promise was announced in 2005, enrollment in the district shot up more than 24%. as families who otherwise would have avoided kalamazoo started moving in and snatching up
7:19 pm
property. >> people are like, you're crazy. someone will always want to live in the suburbs, but i want my kids to go to college without debt. >> reporter: kristin estimates she'll save $160,000 of tuition on her three daughters. now she plans to open a business downtown. now dr. janice brown because of increased enrollment more teacher jobs were created and the first year of the program 70% of promised students enrolled in two local schools both saw big jump in tuition revenue. >> $30 million in our communities twirling around that wasn't there before. >> reporter: dr. brown is the only one who knows the identity of the donors behind the promise, and she's not telling but they've already paid $50 million to send kalamazoo children to colleges and trade schools around the state and pledge to do so forever. >> anyone who can do that could live anywhere in the world.
7:20 pm
and they live in this small unique funky place with a weird name called kalamazoo. >> reporter: 0 similar programs have popped up around the country, and dozens more in the works. >> pittsburgh public school have 26,000 students, more than twice as many as kalamazoo. pittsburgh figures it's an endowment to honor the promise it made in 2016. the university medical center pledged a $150 million grant and says it considers the money an investment. >> many of these students are becoming nurses, doctors, human resource professionals, finance professionals, all things needed at upmc. >> reporter: hundreds have been hired by the very same company that helped pay their college tuition. but like most programs pittsburgh mostly relied on the generosity of middle class people. >> some of our programs are struggling because they have
7:21 pm
these continual funding development needs so they continually spend time raising money. >> reporter: they said it's too early to tell if it's changing the economies. the lac poverty are major challenges. many people in kalamazoo are convinced the real economic boost will come around the ten-year mark when students come back home with high income jobs and a mission. >> i would love to come back and impact kalamazoo in more than one whichone way. hopefully. i couldn't think of anything better than to help the area i came from. >> other promised scholarship programs are not as genius as kalamazoo, but all have the same goal to make families committed to their home towns and use college education as an economic
7:22 pm
engine. popcorn anyone? an american manufacturer who has been making popcorn machines for more than a century, and they're still going strong. we have that and more. power of the people until we restore our freedoms and
7:23 pm
7:24 pm
>> in recent days there has been another modest sign of economic recovery. american factories continue to heighten production. manufacturing output increased .3% the third straight monthly gain. a separate survey from the federal reserve bank of new york show factories in new york state slowing down this month for the first time since last spring. let's turn to a family-owned american manufacturer rebound in basin production after going through the recession. in the last six months head count at the 128-year-old
7:25 pm
company has gone from 75 to 95 employees, and business has been so good that kreeders is moving from chicago to a nearby suburb where it will have more space. charlie, first of all, the price of corn went up last year because of the drought. there was a recession. all the things that made business more difficult. how did you thrive and survive? >> well, i actually the price of corn went up but it's available from southern hemisphere, so they get another crop down there, and the machinery that we make uses popcorn that is grown--it's a smaller portion of the crop, so the manufacturers that use that kind of popcorn had plenty of supplies. >> we see some of the machinery behind you, how important is modernizing the machinery to keep manufacturing like yours
7:26 pm
going? >> we're constantly working on redesigns, making it more reliable the strength of our equipment is the fact that it is very reliable. that's our claim to fame. >> what about quality? how important is quality in terms of selling a product and keeping sales high? >> well, i think it brings customers back. we've had a number of customers that have gone away to buy something less expensive and then returned after they found out how much it cost to take care of the machinery, and have come back to us after a number of years saying, yes, it does cost a lot less to own your machine than it does to buy it. >> what is the overall manufacturing in the united states given your own experiences and given what you've seen with much of your colleagues? >> i think right now manufacturing is is seeing a resurgence. there is more business locally. i believe that some of the low cost advantages people had by
7:27 pm
going way offshore have started to disappear both because of delivery times and response times, and bringing things back. i think the very, very low prices are always going to be going to some other market, but as you build a higher quality or more technological advance piece that needs to be modified on short notice, that's coming back to the united states. >> was it a difficult decision to move the company out of chicago to a suburb? >> hmm yes, it was not that easy. it's difficult because we're going to affect a lot of our employees. their commutes some of them are going to become more. some have limited access to public transportation. that is the biggest problem that i have mentally with this move is what it's doing to our employees, but it's something that the company has to do for the company. >> and charlie i got to ask you,
7:28 pm
is your great grandfather who founded this company, do you and your kids, do you have popcorn all over the place? >> no, not really. i get plenty down here at the hop. i don't have to-- >> fair enough. charlie, ceo of creders popcorn. thank you for being on or program, we appreciate it. >> okay, you're welcome. >> finally many investors love social media and here's another reason why. this week a local new hampshire television station showed the mug shot of nicholas edmunds that he violated terms of his release and should be considered armed and dangerous. mr. edmunds lashed out on facebook. he has a page that he calls himself thin demon and he wrote that contrary to the u.s. marshal statement. he is not armed. he has never hurt anyone and never a threat and the charge
7:29 pm
against him is "b.s.." the police found his location and knocked on the door and arrested him. in fact, conversations of every kind are already happening on social media. that's another reason why investors of every kind are flocking to it as well. that's our show for today on monday the computer lab and a backpack helping 11-year-old kids learn how to code. i'm david shuster in for ali velshi. thank you for joining us, everybody.
7:30 pm
>> you're in the stream. the nation's eyes are on mexico as albuquerque might be the first city to ban abortions after 20 weeks. however, the state allows t. and what does this mean for new mexico and the rest of the country? lisa fletcher it away, and my man is stepping in as coost. and look, omar,

81 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on