Skip to main content

tv   America Tonight  Al Jazeera  February 15, 2014 12:00am-12:31am EST

12:00 am
banks have been refusing, the sale is still illegal under federal law. those are the headlines, "america tonight" with joie chen is up next. you could get the latest at aljazeera.com. >> on "america tonight": did he have to stand his ground? the florida gunman accused of killing an unarmed teenager awaits a jury's decision. also tonight. he plowed into the back of me which pushed me right into the bmw. >> on the day after. the dig-out begins as does the wait for another round of winter. and on this valentine's day, expert advice for the online dating game. beginning with a word of
12:01 am
warning, your profile, you probably got it all wrong. >> you like skiing? i like skiing. >> you like pizza, i like pizza. you have two eyes, i have two eyes. we should totally go out. >> and good evening, thanks for being with us. i'm joie chen. headed into what might otherwise be a relaxed holiday weekend in florida there is instead tension over a closely watched court case with strong echoes of the controversial trayvon martin decision and some concern the verdict in this case might produce a similar anguished response. a guilty verdict could put michael dunn in prison for life, over shooting jordan davis. he had no choice but to stand
12:02 am
his ground. "america tonight"'s correspondent sarah hoye brings us up to date. >> as a nation waited for a verdict in the so-called loud music trial the jury hit a wall in the deliberations and were sent back to their hotel for the evening. mike dunn was indicted in 2012 for murder after fatally shooting 17-year-old jordan davis during a dispute over loud music. dunn and his fiancee stopped at a gas station in central florida where davis and his friends were parked in an suv. the jury heard from the fiancee. >> what did the defendant say? >> i hate that music. >> i hate that music. i heard pop pop pop. >> you got back in the passenger side of the car. did you see a firearm at that point in time? >> yes, michael was putting it into the glove box.
12:03 am
>> throughout deliberations, jurors asked to watch that surveillance video twice. >> and with two hands -- >> during closing argument, assistant state attorney john guy told jurors the case wasn't about self defense. it is rather the case of dunn's self-denial. >> jordan davis didn't have a weapon, he had a big mouth and that defendant wasn't going to stand for it. >> dunn, who has pleaded not guilty, admits shooting davis. >> the the defense said dunn feared for his life. >> meeting with the dunn family we knew this was a clear case of self defense. >> but the case didn't add up. >> even people who have the right to self defense do not have the right to take the life of a child. >> michael dunn took the stand in his own defense. >> i thought i was going to be killed. >> he said he fires his nine millimeter handgun at the parked suv because he thought davis had a shotgun.
12:04 am
>> there is my glove box, i'm looking out the window. and i said, you're not going to kill me you son of a (bleep) and i shot. >> no weapon was found in davis's vehicle. the case is drawing national attention because of the parallels to the shooting death of trayvon martin. martin, a black 17-year-old was shot and killed by george zimmer plawnman, in early 2012,g a dispute if sanford, florida. zimmerman was acquitted. while jurors deliberatewhether or not dunn committed murder when he shot and killed davis, protestors outside the courthouse had already made their decision. dunn could face life in prison. >> "america tonight"'s sarah hoye joins us. what happened? sarah, going into the weekend what happened? >> jurors asked the judge, listen we've hit a wall, could we break for the evening? he said yes. >> what does that mean, hit a
12:05 am
wall? is there a specific count they're having trouble with? >> i think a few. earlier in the afternoon they came back, on some of these verts, asking very specific questions, if we agree on this, or if we agree on this, what should we do in this case? the judge gave them some guidance. it seems right now, they are going head to head on whatever's happening behind closed doors. there seems to be some type of confusion perhaps or some type of battle because clearly they have not come up with a verdict. >> in the time they have now been out, they've asked for material, wanted to review things? >> clearly pretty standard, dotting all of your i's and dotting your t's surveillance video, so on so forth. so it's clear for injuries to ask for certain things -- for jury ties to ask for certain things. in this case they're right on
12:06 am
par with what would be happening. >> so we would not hear from them again? >> probably through the weekend. >> going into a holiday on monday, wee will see, "america tonight"'s sarah hoye. from fort lauderdale, florida, ken, we appreciate your insight in all this. we hope you can help us read the tea leaves what's going on here. you wouldn't think jurors would want to wait out through the holiday weekend. >> well, certainly if you're close to a verdict and you're coming upon a weekend, that might be just enough to get you to all agree to a verdict and go home. but if you're not close and apparently this jury was not, they're going into the weekend to deliberate. and they're doing the job that we expect them to do. they're deliberating and there's probably a lot of arguing and looking at evidence, and sifting through the testimony that these jurors are doing and they're coming to head on certain issues that they have to resolve in order to have a unanimous verdict. all 12 jurors have to agree to each verdict on each count.
12:07 am
>> as sarah pointed out they asked quite a few questions. some of the information they received has to do with how to process whether this is a first degree murder case, second degree, manslaughter, this was laid out for them as was the sentencing guidelines on all that. >> well, sentencing is something separate and apart. the judge is totally in charge of sentencing, and so the jury has no information concerning sentences or possible sentences. the jury's sole determination is to decide whether the evidence proves to them beyond and to the seclusion of every reasonable -- exclusion of every reasonable doubt, the elements of the crime charged or a lesser-included crime. so for the first count, first degree murder the jury has to decide, is he guilty of that? they decide there, that hasn't been proved beyond a reasonable doubt and on to manslaughter.
12:08 am
>> there were originally five counts before the jury. >> exactly, one count of first degree murder, three counts of attempted first degree murder and there's a count of shooting into a -- shooting a missile into a vehicle which is shooting the firearm into the car. so we can speculate that if the jury is hung up on one count, it could be the first count of first degree murder. but again we would be speculating as to that. we really don't know what's going on in that jury room. >> and when you say shooting a missile into a vehicle, this is going to sound fairly confusing to people. but is that just the wording of florida law? >> well, florida law, when you read all the florida law to the jury, and some of it has to be read over and over again because there's multiple counts, it can be confusing. that is always a concern for a prosecutor because confusion is lead to reasonable doubt. so the prosecutor's job in closing argument is to really put all the evidence together,
12:09 am
and show the jury how the law applies to the facts in this case, and warrants a conviction. of course the defense attorney's job is to show the jury there is reasonable doubt, there is confusion, there is lack of evidence or conflict in the evidence and that is probably some of the debate that's going on right now with this jury back in that jury room. >> and you and i talked about this earlier in the week, that the prosecutor did present to the jury that, hey, the first degree murder count that could be second, why did she do that and what was sort of the reasoning presented there? >> well, in the evidence that i've seen presented in this trial it is my opinion, having been doing this for 27 years and i was a homicide prosecutor here in florida, this is a very strong second degree murder case. there is an argument that it is first degree murder but it is not as strong in my opinion as a second degree murder conviction. the premeditation here is really a matter of seconds. and it's not very long.
12:10 am
it is nothing in florida law that dictates how much time is required for premeditation but a jury could potentially look at the evidence in this case and decide there is not enough time for premeditation. this is a classic case of second degree murder. the music's too loud, they're disrespecting him, he grabs his gun and starts to fire. to me, this is a classic example of second degree murder. maybe we can speculate the debate is whether or not it is first degree or second degree murder. we don't know whether that's the debate or debating whether it's an outright acquittal or a not guilty verdict. >> we won't know until next week. thanks very much criminal defense attorney ken padowitz in florida. thank you. >> when we return. another round, ready to come around. no rest for those weary of
12:11 am
winter. what's left? and later in the program, a digital valentine. if you are looking for love online, it may pay to consider rebranding yourself. >> what's the person thinking? you quit your job to protest human rights violations and move to tibet. how does that benefit me as a boyfriend? what am i going to get out of it?
12:12 am
>> mother nature showed little love on this valentine's day morning. just when we thought it couldn't
12:13 am
gleget worse, a fourth day of freezing rain, causing icy road conditions in many spots. >> there was a big moyer truck behind me, and he didn't stop in time, he plowed into the back of me which pushed me into the back of the bmw. >> talk about a chain reaction of slippery roads, causing a chain reaction of at least 100 vehicles. a massive pileup shutting down part of the pa turnpike. mainly from traffic accidents and many reports of heart attacks from shoveling snow. the storm has had a chilling effect on airline profits and city budgets. flight delays and cancellations have cost airline passengers $1.4 billion. the severe weather so far this winter could end up costing the economy at least $20 billion. economists report.
12:14 am
the sun did come out, the southeast isn't in the clear, more accommodate weather is expected through the weekend. >> on a view of science down in the deep. researchers are now tracking a fearsome predator and it's ability to fight off disease. the shark has an unusual ability affixed within its skin, how and kyle hill shows us, scientists are hard at work to copy it. >> thanks to one of the most feared oceanic species on the planet, reduced up to 40%. they spend their lives underwater and yet sharks remain incredibly algae, bacteria and barnacle-free. tiny sharp teeth like shapes found all over the shark's skin, he was determined to duplicate them. >> when you try to draw a shark's skin it's very difficult to do on a flat piece of paper. so i modified them. when i modified it, first i did
12:15 am
on that algae all over the navy ship, it stopped it, 85%. nothing had ever stopped that bug other than toxins. it is not a toxin. it doesn't release anything. it is a physical structure. >> this chemical forms a film barrier. it was patented by sharklet technologies. in sharklet's lab, they run numerous experiments. demonstrating its ability to block bac bacteria. where we exposed our surface with sharklet and without sharklet. the side that doesn't have sharklet on there. >> right you see, what does this have to be 90% reduction in bacterial reduction just on this one plate. >> 99% reduction and that's typical of what we see on surfaces that are treated with our sharklet technology.
12:16 am
>> sharklet scientists believe their treatment can be placed to nearly any surface. >> they have already created place mat and light fixture prototypes. they have partnered with a fortune 500 company. hospital acquired infections each year by covering hospital tubing from tracheal tubes to catheters, sharklet technology even block the growth of the most antibiotic resistant material. >> it doesn't care, it doesn't give the ability to attach, and if they don't attach, they won't grow and they won't make people sick. >> wow! if you want to know more, you can catch "techknow," sunday 7:30, 4:pacific.
12:17 am
dating scene, though it might come at a price. hard hitting... >> they're blocking the door... >> ground breaking... >> we have to get out of here. >> truth seeking... al jazeera america's breakthrough instigative documentary series. over a year after the bengazi attacks, chaos in the streets... unspeakable horrors... >> this is a crime against humanity >> is libya unraveling? >> there's coffin after coffin being carried into the cemetery. >> fault lines libya: state of insecurity only on al jazeera america >> i'm ali velshi, the news has become this thing where you talk to experts about people, and al jazeera has really tried to talk to people, about their stories. we are not meant to be your first choice for entertainment. we are ment to be your first choice for the news. i must begin my journey,
12:18 am
which will cause me to miss the end of the game. the x1 entertainment operating system lets your watch live tv anywhere. can i watch it in butterfly valley? sure.
12:19 am
can i watch it in glimmering lake? yep. here, too. what about the dark castle? you call that defense?! come on! [ female announcer ] watch live tv anywhere. the x1 entertainment operating system, only from xfinity.
12:20 am
>> and finally tonight, let's talk about love, or at least, the search for it. >> final mril li, tonight, let'. talk about love, or at least, the search for it. the weeks leading up to valentine's day are the busiest for online dating services. owners of the most popular online websites and apps, a record one. but as "america tonight"'s adam may discovered in the world of online dating love is not blind. >> why? why? >> tell you something. >> no, it's -- >> why do i care? i don't care. >> and it's only a 300 series. >> exactly. >> they are veterans of online dating. a decade and a half after dating online went mainstream, this group of singles have all been there, and done that. and yet they can still be surprised by the experience.
12:21 am
>> don't lead them quick, thou though. this is dating 101. so a dude will show up. >> i'll learn later that he's a dude. >> man, really? has it happened before? >> you've had a catfish? >> women are professionals with angles. they can get like this. >> yeah, baby. uh-huh. >> bootie sticking out and when you see them, they look like bubba smith. >> "america tonight" gathered these l.a. singles to share their online dating stories. love gets lost somewhere in the hollywood hills so they're looking for it online. >> i think the men are lazy. they stop courting. they stop having the initial leadership in a relationship. so i think they depend on us to
12:22 am
be the one to send messages, to follow up, to chase. and i find that different. in online dating. >> men don't know what to do. we thought we wanted that but old school way is you chase the girl down. >> but they don't chase you. >> like a cat chases the mouse. >> it's a $2 billion a year industry in the u.s. alone. the number of online dating sites, more than 2500, and growing. the newest kid on the block, tinder, online dates pop up how close graphically, you instantly say yes or no. >> it will show me who's nearby. this guy sam, sam's nearby. >> oh my god he's gorgeous. >> this is just instant -- >> online sites abound. like grinder aimed at gay hookups and positive singles, with people with the sexually transmitted disease herpes.
12:23 am
with 103 million singles 18 or older, competing for even a first glance, the competition can be stiff. >> home shopping network. human shopping network. you get addicted to it. >> if you're on any of these sites, you can go i mean jeez, i could go on five days a day. you don't have time for that. >> i don't just sit back and wait. i want to decide what i want. i don't want to be chosen, i want to choose. >> according to a 2013 pew research center survey, 38% of american adults who are single and looking for a partner are looking online. 23% has had their spouse or long time partner through these sites. still for all the choices dating online or off can be tough. you might call it fickle love. and one of the biggest issues? >> it's mistaking chemistry for
12:24 am
compatibility. i always say at first dates, it's all hope fascinatecy projection and potential. the next thing you know you're picturing your entire future. this is a person that can save me from a life of loneliness. the chemistry sweeps the bad stuff under the rug. and online dating is not the cause of that. it's people. and this is people in memorial have acted that way. it's the romeo and juliet story. i've dealt with people in their 70s, people in wheelchairs. >> this is evan mar katz. >> i'm evan mar katz. >> he thinks most women get it wrong. >> you tend to say things that
12:25 am
are agreeable. me too. you like skiing? i like skiing. you have a dog, i have a dog. >> you like pizza? i love pizza. >> you have two eyes? i have two eyes, we should totally go out. it's not bad, it's just flat, right? >> what makes a good dating -- online dating profile? >> i'm so glad you lost that. i'm warm funny, i like hiking biking music and travel, i'm looking for my best friend and lover and partner in crime in love and laughter. >> is that wrong? >> it doesn't do much to differentiate. if everybody says some version of the same thing. if it has no power. >> katz advice, start with your profile and work back from there. >> it's your profile, what's the person reading it thinking? so you quit your job to protest human rights violations and move to tibet. how does that benefit me as a boyfriend? what am i going to get out of it? >> is there a typical dating mistake, is there something that
12:26 am
they're just doing wrong? >> the biggest question that women have about men, everything was so great. what happened? what went wrong? he did it because he was the wrong guy. >> katz takes common sense and turns it into a lot of money. >> so it's pretty obvious that there is more than money. >> he hosts a monthly conference call. with 1,000 women online paying almost $50 each to ask his advice open dating and men. >> it seems my options are nice bore or exciting jerk. >> all right sheri, i seems like my only option is the hot chick -- hot and crazy chick or the smart chick. what do you say to him? >> he writes their online profile, charges $8,000 for
12:27 am
personal help. has a professional take better pictures and becomes their sounding board, critic and advisory, one private client, halfway through katz' program is lena shaun. who works in therapy and ironically, couples therapy -- counseling. she began reading katz blog and was immediately looked. >> i started online. because there's no way for me to go traditional. because i didn't grow up here. i had no idea what i was doing. even if i got a date it was just really walk in the darkness. >> what are you getting out of this $8,000 expense? what have you gotten so far? >> he pushed me. i set up my profile before i went to talk to him. and then after he set up everything he went to his profile, he said lena, why the height is 5'8 to 6'1? i said yon. he says okay, i'm going to
12:28 am
change it to 5'7. and after he changed that i went on a date with a 5'7 tall guy and that's the first guy i liked. i think it's great to be in love. $8,000 wouldn't be a big number. >> perhaps katz most surprising advice, go for quantity over quality. katz himself went on 300 online dates. he says singles should lower their standards to meet more possible mates. >> what percentage of men are tall? what percentage of men make $100,000 a year? has the same long term values and wants kids and there are so many that could get in the way of a relationship. >> that advice is echoed by our own online dating experts. >> it is.
12:29 am
it is. and it's practice too. >> but you've got to have that mindset. >> you do. >> people want to find mr. right or mrs. right, whatever, right away and it just doesn't happen. you have to meet as many people as you can in as little a time as you can and the probability goes up. >> as for evan katz, he finally found his match in bridget. but he didn't meet her online. he met her at a party. she was a year older than his maximum online dating age criteria, and he was a different religion than she was looking for. >> so is there a lesson there to broaden your search? >> the thing i discovered with my wife accidentally, i stepped into it, she was nothing i was ever looking for. but i had the best time with her and i could be my best self with her. my advice is relationships should be easy, if they're not easy they're not right. >> "america tonight"'s adam may with a little food for thought on valentine's day. that's it for us on "america tonight." please remember, if you would like to comment on anything you have seen, log on the our website, aljazeera.com/americatonight.
12:30 am
you'll find us there and you can also find us on twitter or at our facebook page. good night. we'll have more of "america tonight" tomorrow. day, benghazi, the city the size of charlotte,. >> two years ago, fault lines traveled to libya, as forces fought to overthrow moammar gadhafi, in the unrest that was sweeping the arab world. now, benghazi is a by-word for political scandal, after the murder of an american ambassador in 2012. >> i cannot imagine sending folks out to benghazi, after what we saw, from the security cameras and the drones. >> mistakes were made. >> and i said that what benghazi

63 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on