Skip to main content

tv   Consider This  Al Jazeera  March 5, 2014 1:00am-2:01am EST

1:00 am
problem, dam terrorized in grayety. >> hello, welcome to "consider this." here's more on what's ahead. >> video of a tense stand off in crimea. the first shots fired, warning shots. >> there is a strong belief that russia's action is violating international law.
1:01 am
>> rhetoric between the united states and russia today as the crisis in ukraine grows. it's time we wake up about vladimir putin. >> students took to the streets, they said against rising crime. >> new report finds american hospitals and doctors have been overprescribing antlightics. >> antibiotics are often used as shotgun treatments. >> we took time to watch the movie gravity. 260 miles above the earth, we know a little about gravity. >> we begin with russian pat vladimir putin in a rambling news conference scolding the u.s. for interfering in ukraine and said his country was on a humanitarian mission to protect russians in crimea, vowing that
1:02 am
any use of force by russia would be a last resort. president obama responded saying putin's rationale was not fooling anybody, and he bristled as suggestions that the russians were doing a shrewd power grab. >> the way that some of this has been reported, that there is a suggestion somehow that the russian actions have been clever strategyically, i think this has not been a sign of strength but rather is a reflection that countries near russia have deep concerns and suspicions about this kind of meddling. >> tensions remain high in crimea where russian troops block aid despite putin's denial that they are russian forces, describing them at local defense
1:03 am
forces. for more on what's going on in ukraine we are joined by aljazeera correspondent nick shiffrin in ukraine. nick, good to have you on the show. tensions are still very high there. we just showed the dramatic incident where ukrainian troops approached russians and were met with warning shots. you faced serious tensions of your own. >> yeah, absolutely, antonio. what we're seeing is aboccupation by russia that is growing more threatening and a pro russian demonstration here that is becoming more emboldened. we saw many russian troops by the side of the road, at the beginning of the day ran into two or 300 of them. they refused to answer our questions. they had no identifying flag, but did have markings on their uniforms that suggested they were russian military units, driving in cars with russian military plates and all of the
1:04 am
language or all of the books that we saw them carrying were russian military books. so there does seem to be more troops on the ground here, and as i said, they are growing more threatening. we were at a base about an hour and a half from here being besieged by pro russian activists. they tried to climb the walls and convince the soldiers in the base to give themselves up, hand over the weapons. ukrainian soldiers felt the need to actually have it those russian soldiers in, they had a conversation in which the russian soldiers said look, this government, this military command structure you're responding to now, they're not going to be around for long, so you better work with us, otherwise you'll be in trouble. there was a slight agreement ben the two sides, that seemed to calm the crowd down until we got outside and there's been a lot of pro russian demonstrators who believe the media's looking toward the west, being anti russian. we were accused of lying, surrounded, kept right outside
1:05 am
that base for two and a half hours. at one point, they demanded to see our video and we wouldn't show it. they started counting down from 10, surrounds the van and threatened to push it over. eventual we showed them that video, they slashed one of our tires. there seemed to be a professionally trained soldier acts like a soldier would, perhaps communicating that that crowd some kind of communication there. eventually they let us go and escorted us out of time presumably to make sure we weren't filming them. the troops are getting more threatening against ukrainian troops and coordinating with the pro russian which is so emboldened. >> i'm sorry you had to go through that, i'm glad you're all ok. is there talk to regular people, reaction president obama putin saying these are not russian forces?
1:06 am
>> i think that's almost comical to be honest, i hate to say that. one example for our experience today, on the side of the road i tried to ask the questions bealways ask to these soldiers who were they are and they wouldn't answer. when similar soldiers walked into that ukrainian base, he openly identified himself as legs and delivered these threats, saying look, you know, you need to work with us, because we are basically in charge now and we're going to be in charge in the future, so you're going to be in trouble otherwise. we were listening to that conversation. those people knew we were journalists, knew they were there so were not hiding at all. in other bases, you have seen pro russian or russian troops taking off their masks, being willing to show themselves. the notion that these are a paramilitary force that has voluntarily gone to these bases,
1:07 am
they're much too coordinated. >> this makes you feel like we've gone back to the soviet days. >> we are joined by ambassador nicholas burns, serving for under state of permanent affairs and nato under george w bush and served president clinton. he is now professor of the practice of international releases at the harvard kennedy school of government. from santa fay, we are joined by governor bill richardson and former governor of new mexico. it is good to have you on the show. ambassador, one of the more extraordinary claims from vladimir putin's news conference is that russian troops have not entered crimea, saying the men were local defense forces, and he also said that that so called exercise that involved more than 100,000 russian troops and ukraine's border is over, that
1:08 am
there's no reason for force now. is this vladimir putin making an attempt at deescalating? >> i just think he's trying to cloud the picture here. there's no question that russian military from the base were involved in the de facto take over of crimea, and no question that russian special forces were flown in. president putin may want the world to believe one thing but the world sees another. it's very clear there needs to be a response now. that will not be military on the part of nato or europe, but there can be an economic set of measures designed to drive up the cost to putin and isolate him further if the europe and united states are united. it doesn't look like germany and the units are united on what to do, so that's, i think job number one for president obama is to leave the nato alliance and try to have an effective response for this, understanding
1:09 am
that what we can probably best do is support the new ukrainian government and that's why secretary of state john kerry was in kiev today. >> a political peace started with this line in the context of what the ambassador is now bringing up, the question is whether the leader of the free world can actually lead the free world. you recently said that the number one test for president obama will be oh enforce diplomatic and economic pressure on putin and whether the allies can stay united. do you think the president's going to be able to do that? >> he's off to a good start. i am disappointed with germany not wanting to make strong measures on at least a deenunciation of russia but they did call a contact group, that's important. france has been good, britain is good, so far, so good, but that's going to be the key, can affective sanctions, com presencive sanctions from the
1:10 am
united states and europe be implemented effectively. there is going to have to be a cost that president putin pays but the good news i see, a sliver, a little good news is that it is deescalating a little bit. the key has to be a solution that involved russia and ukrainian government, that's the key. the united states should support the government, the new government in ukraine as much as we can, but eventually, it's going to be russia and ukraine resolving this issue. >> ambassador, you wrote in the boston globe that putin is in power of this chess match. if we impose sanctions, you say he will retaliate. what do we do in the light of all that? >> i think there are a number of things that both the u.s.
1:11 am
congress and white house can do and as governor richardson suggests correctly in concert with the europeans. russia wants to join the organization of cooperation and development in europe. that should be put on ice. there are americans sanctions and chapter two, the second round of sanctions never put forward by the congress because the administration asked them not to. that can go forward. there can be vesications on russian officials and some of the oligarchs supporting it. they don't stop the russian army and the russian armed forces but do increase the it'slation of the russian government and of putin himself and europe needs to take those steps, as well. i think there is a package of measures there, but much more importantly, what can you do proactively to help the ukrainian government. a billion dollars in loan guarantees, ashton will be in
1:12 am
the e.u. tomorrow, can the e.u. match that or do more and the can the im be involved to help, as well. we have to think internationally and globally. there has to be a transatlantic response of canada and the united states and 26 allies. the last thing i say is nato needs to meet at the president's level or the foreign minister's level to rein form our security guarantees for allies right next to russia, that article five guarantee. >> in that context and talking about the russian armed forces, secretary of state john kerry, who is in kiev was stunned when a reporter told him that putin denied the role of the russian troops in crimea. he had this to say about putin's claims that forces were just there to protect local people. >> not a single piece of credible evidence supports any one of these claims. none. >> so governor, we were talking
1:13 am
about this, called it the putin doctrine on our show last night. shouldn't russia's neighbors especially the ones just brought up, estonia, lithuania, latvia be concerned if putin claims to be able to send troops into another country if locals are threatened. >> that's why i agree with ambassador burns who is an expert that nato needs to meet. russia's very unhappy that nato expanded, basically into its back yard, but having said that, there's some free republics outside of russia that are pro western that want to have more engagement with the united states, with the west, moving in the right direction. yeah, their understandably worried because of what happened in crimea. now, what i would like to see and i don't know if ambassador burns would agree, is, you know, maybe militarily the united
1:14 am
states should revive that option of having the missiles in poland. we scrap that as a gesture to the russians, but now because of russia's new intransigents, nato is a very viable body, an important body, but these issues outside of nato we need to consider what we're going to do. this is a u.s. decision, but it has to be in consultation with nato. >> ambassador, i'll let you respond to that, but before let's listen to a very angry john mccain. >> the cold war happen over 20 years. this president believes the cold war was over. vladimir putin doesn't believe that the cold war is over. when the president of the united states is overheard to say to mr. putin's puppet, mr. medvedev, tell vladimir that
1:15 am
after i'm reelected, i'll be more flexible. it's time we got real. >> your response. >> well, i just wanted to agree with governor richardson. there are things we can do to strengthen nato in the east where nato is. that would be to strengthen our forward defendantses in latvia, estonia, lithuania and go back to the missile defense agreement in poland. i agree with that. on the clip you just played, i don't think it's fair to blame president obama for what's happening in ukraine. it's not his fault that putin has committed an act of violation of international law, but i do think it's an opportunity for the president now to be the leader of nato, to rally nato to defend itself, the nato countries and to try to get effective assistance into ukraine and leave the opposition politically to putin around the world. we ought to be asking our allies in asia and partners in the
1:16 am
middle east to stand up and be critical of the russian government. the nato alliance is the united states and this is an opportunity for president obama to do that. >> ambassador burns, governor richardson, good to have you both on the show. appreciate you joining us. >> thank you. >> thank you, thank you. >> for more on ukraine and what the strained relations with russia will mean for the middle east and israel, we are joined by ambassador thomas pickering who served at ambassador to russia, he also served at u.s. ambassador to the u.n. and ambassador to israel. here in new york is the paris bureau chief and middle east editor of the daily beast. he has written extensively about the events in ukraine. chris, you wrote an article saying crimea is lost. on wednesday, nato is going to meet in paris, there will be some suggestions that the american government has made about where we can move forward, but do you think there's any chance that we're going to get
1:17 am
the russians out of crimea? >> no, zero. there probably is a question about whether the russians will annex crimea. is it going to be a protectorate, autonomous, a little like we've seen to the areas that used to be part of georgia. nobody's going to go to war to win crimea back for the ukraine. it looks like nobody is going to impose very tough sanctions, either to make that happen. i think that is a given. the real question is on the other side of the scale, what are we going to do about nato. how can we reassure latvia, reassure nato members if putin decides to roll across the ukraine or guess aggressive with the balkan states there will be
1:18 am
something more than hand wringing as a reaction. >> the russian foreign minister will be talking to nato. one of the harsher moments was an accusation that the u.s. interferes in world affairs and was behind what he called a coup in ukraine. >> i have a feeling in america some people sit and do experiments on rats without knowing the consequences. >> colorful as usually. chris dicky said we're facing a new cold war and considering how involved russia has been on the foreign policy stage, how big of a problem is this going to be moving forward around the world geo politically because we're now dealing with iran's nuclear program, dealing with syria and netanyahu was in town talking to the president on monday in peace between israel and the palestinians. >> i agree with chris in the short term. not sure i agree with him in the long term.
1:19 am
i do agree that the question of the future of ukraine remains open and a little bit more than vexed. i don't agree that we have no possibility of pushing back. not too long ago, that is hours ago, some folks who look at the question of petroleum and gas looked at whether they could shut down, it's winter. they've reduced their dependence on oil and gas. that's the major weapon to push back. isolation of the black sea fleet from the mediterranean and other things that could happen. that would require a much tougher move than we're in now. the putin press conference pushed back hard, but on the other, it began to open some doors, and so the real question here is the president's strategy of pushing and seeing if he can open doors going to bear any fruit in the longer term.
1:20 am
turning to the middle east and to syria, and israel in particular, and iran, it doesn't make it easy that we have a potential serious difference with russia attempting to deal with issues on u.s. russia cooperation as a result of the security council or as a result of the general configuration of events is very important to move towards settlements. i can't believe the russians, despite our serious differences with them over ukraine, want to act as if they are prepared to promote an iranian nuclear weapon. it's harder in syria to believe, in fact, that the russians who have been hinting about this over the last months are prepared to desert assad, but neither are they in my view, seriously interested in the further radicalization of the effort on either side by iran
1:21 am
with assad's folks or by al-qaeda with the opposition which we both have to contend with. one of the things that units all four outside powers who count in syria, saudi arabia, iran, russian and the united states, is their extremelike of sunni fundamentalist terrorism. whether that can bring about a change there or not i don't know. russia is not deeply involved in the discussions that secretary kerry is having with the palestinians and prime minister netanyahu. netanyahu put down a harker. i'm not sure in fact whether netanyahu is counting on the president's absolute necessary city to pay attention to ukraine to kind of soften up the issue, but i don't think the president was very soft today and that message came through fairly tough. i think that in a way, the calculus here ha has to be if te president is going to hold tough
1:22 am
with what kerry has negotiated or wants to negotiate, up to the point where as president bush did back in 1988, it takes israel to election, that will be a very serious, very important commitment on the part of the u.s. it may be the only commitment here that has a real chance of changing the configuration of events because once again prime minister netanyahu has to look at whether the short term survive of his coalition is more important to him than the long term survive, if i can put it that way, of his country. >> chris, what do you think? >> ukraine specifically one of the headlines said u.s. guarantees worthless, because they felt the u.s. has been in effectual in what's happened there. >> that's been kind of a refrain before this. there's this constant mantra
1:23 am
saying this because president obama doesn't leap at a chance to go to war he's therefore weak. the administration is having a tough time fighting this. the presidents kind of rummative. the public wants to say here's a decision, here's how it happens. that's a political problem for him. in terms of the way the russians are going to act in syria and with regard to iran, if you listen to the press conference that putin gave this morning, there's actually room to believe he might start a charm offensive. he was asked do you want to remove your ambassador from washington, he inside, i don't think that would be a good idea. he talked about cooperation is hard to build, you don't want to throw these things away. i think we could see a tomorrow offensive now by putin saying look, we didn't -- holding total
1:24 am
lies he told today, we didn't invade significance, those are self defense forces. we could invade ukraine but we're not going to, all the kinds of things he was tossing out this morning that sounded kind of surreal also leave him room to cooperate with the united states on various issues, and if then the united states doesn't cooperate with him, well that serves his interests as well. >> ambassador, final quick question, talking about cutting the knot, there's nothing that is stopping the negotiations between israel and the palestinians more than the issue of the recognition of the jewish state. is that going to happen? it seems this is the big issue there that has made the negotiations helpless. >> this may be overplayed. certainly abu mason has said on a number of occasions, israel can call itself what it wants and we will deem with it when we get our independence and our own
1:25 am
state. it doesn't seem to me at this stage that despite what i think is here a really serious problem of in fact maybe netanyahu insisting on a jewish state without a word of democracy, which really worries the arabs, because in effect, it's talking about what is potentially a very seriously a state of one group without full and equal rights to recognize the citizens of that state. that's what worries the arabs. they'd like to see a situation in which these questions were resolved but never said a state can't call itself what it wishes as long as it's prepared to treat the minority in which they have a serious interests of the jewish population. >> good to have you as always on the show.
1:26 am
>> coming up, violence in venezuela, while large peaceful demonstrations continue. >> also how the meds you're getting from your doctor could be making you sicker, a surprising c.d.c. report. >> what skype activities found underground next. join the conversation. ♪
1:27 am
what is this place? where are we? this is where we bring together the fastest internet and the best in entertainment. we call it the x1 entertainment operating system. it looks like the future! we must have encountered a temporal vortex. further analytics are necessary. beam us up. ♪ that's my phone. hey. [ female announcer ] the x1 entertainment operating system, only from xfinity. tv and internet together like never before.
1:28 am
>> venezuela's political crisis continued to simmer tuesday on the streets of caracas and other cities. it came to a boil in the capitol city where thousands took to the streets, including two large
1:29 am
marches demonstrating against the venezuela president and socialist regime blamed for crime, consumer shortages and the world's highest rate of inflation. jailed opposition leader lopez called for more protests in an on line message reading we must continue the peaceful struggle. there is no reason to give up our fight. they will never defeat those who refuse to give up. for more, i'm joined by aljazeera america correspondent paul beban. you're one of the few american correspondents who have gone where the protest movement started. you spoke to the town's mayor who supports the opposition about a new offer of a peace conference drop the government. what did he say? >> the mayor there as you mentioned is a staunch opponent of the government. that entire region voted heavily against nicholas majoro in the last election. they say these protests are
1:30 am
going to continue until their voices are heard. they feel this is the only way to get their message out that they're tired of the rampant crime, shortages and really now what this snowballed into is the freedom of expression and assembly. once the protests began and the government response was so heavy handed, the protests became less sometimes about the shortages and the economy and crime and more about just the freedom to actually protest and say what they want to say and ever their voices herd. >> the president extended the carnival holiday in hopes of dampening the protests. did it work. >> some of the protests particularly here in the square in caracas, it's become sort of protest theater. it happens every night. the barricades are built up over the course of the day by the students in a well heeled neighborhood, a construction site has become the site of core
1:31 am
gated metal, debris, tree limbs, wreckage that is built up day after day into these series of barricades leading owl directions out of the square. the police and national guard will mask far down and protestors will taunt them into a confrontation, throwing rocks, banging on the barricade, where tear goes is launched, throw it back. the national guard seem to be pushing forward, the protestors will run back and return to the barricades again and start throwing rocks and debris over and over again. it's playing out night after night and feels like no french warfare, no ground gained. the protestors say they're going to be out there day after day until they feel their concerns are heard. on the other hand, they don't have a specific agenda. lopez, the leader is in jail. there was an offer from the
1:32 am
government of one peace conference, another offer extended today. there's been no response so far, the mayor of san cristobal said it's not a real gesture, no real offer of dialogue here. >> as we're seeing, a lot of these little violent protests are out there in addition to the big peaceful protest in the major cities. now you were covering one of those there and posted a shot to your facebook page showing how you got some tear gas. how -- are those protests, the once that are turning a little violent creating any kind of protest fatigue among people who just want the chaos to stop? >> i think you've hit it on the head there. we're a month into this across the country and there is a sense that people are growing annoyed and a little weary of these protests and barricades. they're hurting businesses, preventing people from getting
1:33 am
to work. it makes it difficult for anyone near these neighborhoods. these are taking place in upper class, upper middle class parts of the city. in the bar yos and travista neighborhoods, you don't see these at all. people want a return to normalcy, but neither side is budging. without dialogue, this is a cycle that's played out before. this have been protests for over the last 14 years since chavez was elected and medoro is his successor. these tend to go on for months and play out although this is the most tense in 10 years. >> the protests in the poorer neighborhoods are smaller and just noise making and not much else. as we go here tomorrow, wednesday will be a big day, because little the anniversary of the death of hugo chavez. we'll see what happens on the streets wednesday in caracas and around venezuela.
1:34 am
aljazeera correspondent paul beban, good to have you on the show. >> switching to the latest on a story we've been following, the over use of prescription antibiotics. the drugs continue to be life savers for millions, but where they are concerned, it seems less is more. a study shows some hospitals hugely overprescribe antibiotics and that can put patients at risk. studies found hospitals who prescribed fewer cases of a dangerous infection that can cause colitis, inflammation and even death. we are joined by the assistant professor ofette immediatology. in appropriate prescribing would have major benefits. we can get better health
1:35 am
outcomes by having pure antibiotics. >> that's true, antibiotics have gotten us through a period of time where infections killed millions worldwide and still do. unfortunately, the over use of anything good is bad and antibiotics have become that sort of go-to drug even in situations where it's a tough call. doctors over use these greg where patients might have away infectious disease, maybe not making sure that the patient does have infection, instead treating them empireically with antibiotics. bacteria are resistant to antibiotics of the future. >> those super bugs we've heard about. the c.d.c. found shhospitals, doctors at whole hospitals prescribe antibiotics three
1:36 am
times more often than other hospitals. how can that discrepancy, makes no sense statusically, how can it happen. >> there are different cultures at different hospitals as the culture in one might gear toward treating with antibiotics before an infection is confirmed, that picks up and becomes the way people are trained, et cetera. the other issue is that some hospitals are more likely to treat patients that might have infectious diseases. it's just a matter of consultingure. >> the c.d.c. is trying to change that with a check list have things that hospitals ever to do as they look to treat these illnesses and prescribe antibiotics and there is a whole series of recommendations we are putting on the screen. this will lead doctors and hospitals to be more accountable. why did we wait until now? it's not as if the super bug problem is new.
1:37 am
>> this is all part of sort of an arms race between bacteria and antibiotics, our ability to produce, research, develop and produce antibiotics on the other. increasingly, our moratorium is being pressed. we're seeing people with infections with bacteria that are not as easy to treat. you need to use three, four antibiotics at a time. the c.d.c. saw the opportunity on the back of a recent study that you just discussed, to really put in stone a set of guidelines. these guidelines are nothing sort of out of the ordinary, very common sensiccal. when put into institutional policy can decrease the unnecessary use of antibiotics that pushes resistance. >> we had 2 million americans sicken the because of these super bugs and 23,000 people actually die from this antibiotic resistant infections,
1:38 am
the president in his budget is asking to double the amount for suspecting and preventing these things. enough? >> it's never enough, but these are god steps in the right direction. what we really need to do is step back and the think about the dynamics that are at play here, sort of like the park bedroom, we all like to sit on it, nobody wants to pay for it. we all want antibiotics that work. if you are a doctor and the have a particular patient and your port said very sick, you want to throw the biggest gun you have at that infection. when call the doctors start doing that, we're treating people with the wrong antibiotics, too much, too little, not the right dosage and all of that leads to material that could become super bugs. >> thanks for being with us. time to see what's trending on aljazeera's website. >> you were just talking about the growing concern over drug resistant bacteria.
1:39 am
our digital story stays in the medical round. a virus has been locked in the eye berrien prearm ma frost for 30,000 years. it was found in soil that was 100 feet deep with the temperature is negative eight degrees fahrenheit. scientists thawed the virus and watched it replicate in a pete redish. it is the largest virus to ever be discovered. you'll be happy to know it poses little threat to people. it can only affect aboebas. chris jokes: on the scientist digging, dave says:
1:40 am
you can read more at the website. >> the doctor is scared. >> a little scared. it's scary. >> straight ahead, a fictional story about space junk led to oscar gold for gravity. how nasa is trying to clean the debris for real. the as core winners are back spreading the message. >> how an in vent morning jog is leading to court about over
1:41 am
>> al jazeera america presents extrodanary documentaries. colin comes from a long line of ferrymen. >> you're a riverman from start to finish... >> now he leaves home to see what life is like on the waters of bangladesh. >> it's absolutely filthy... >> he learns how difficult working ther can be. >> how do you say..."get out the way"? >> shoro >> can this brittish man find common ground with his local host? >> "must really take it out of mr. loteef"...
1:42 am
>> toughest place to be a ferryman on al jazeera america and things like that up to full size satellites that have to be dior bid. it's not the mass that's really the issue in this case. it's the velocity with which they travel because the simple mathematical formula force equals mass times acceleration turns a very small mass object into a very serious projectile so something really does have to be done about cleaning up space. >> let's show you a picture taken by astronaut of the solar cell. it has a hole in it from debris impact. space is massive, so how often do these impacts happen? how much of a threat are they to future space flight and to the satellites we depend on? >> it's the increasing amount of material that is really the biggest threat, because while there is material around,
1:43 am
fortunately, much of that material doesn't really cause that big of a hazard, except that space station operators do have to be careful in case something does seem to be in the trajectory. often they'll move international space station to reduce the risk of something actually hitting space station. the need to clean this material goes on, because as more material gets launched into earth orbit or as we continue to move out into space exploration, the risk of this is the real problem, because one small impact can really cause a tremendous amount of destruction. >> there are a number of ideas out there, the european space agency proposed a spacecraft with a net or a harpoon, the swiss developing a craft that would nudge debris out of space, japan just launched a ship that has a magnetic net that they're going to test. we're talking about solar sails, space sling shots and also what
1:44 am
you minged, deorbiting, lasers, bursts of air to make the debris fall out of orbit and burn as it came down into the atmosphere. do you think these ideas will work? >> yes, some of them will work, there's no question about that. it's just a question of how much energy is going to be put into the device to get it to work. what's going to be the most energy efficient way to do this, because remember, we have to get the craft up there that's going to do the work, we have to give it capability to maneuver around in space. once the technology that's going to be used to remove something from orbit, one of the ideas of attaching a tether so it builds friction and pulls the object down is not such a bad idea, because it doesn't require a lot of material to do that. if you could just push something out of orbit, that might not be a bad idea, because it may not require a large energy budget to make that work. you keep the expenses down in energy and materials and get the job done, it's just that those
1:45 am
methods are slow and there's a lot of material that needs to be cleaned up. if there was a faster way to do it, that might be better. >> boy, that's certainly a big problem. nasa's budget was just announced or at least what they're hoping for the budget the next couple of years and keep it fairly stable, i hope that's a good thing and that it helps clean up space, because we obviously need it. great to have you on the show, thanks. >> straight ahead, two oscar winners rejoin us with an amazing story and message from their film. >> where does protection end and a nanny state begin?
1:46 am
1:47 am
>> as tensions rise in ukraine, al jazeera america is there. >> russian ships only a few hundred feet off the coast... >> with reporters on the ground >> if they give the order to start shooting, they will... >> asking the tough questions... >> why send the troops in now? >> getting you the facts... >> is it possible that crimea is just lost? >> i'm afraid that may be the facts on the ground... >> keeping you informed... >> we have a standoff here... ukanian troops... russian troops... >> special coverage continues right hear on your gobal news leader al jazeera america
1:48 am
there's more to finical news than the ups and downs of the dow. for instance, can fracking change what you pay for water each month? have you thought about how
1:49 am
climate change can effect your grocery bill? could rare minerals in china effect your cell phone bill? or, how a hospital in texas could drive up your health care premium. i'll make the connections from the news to your money real. >> a very special woman's story received much deserved attention on oscar night, the lady in number six, she was believed to be the world's oldest holocaust survivor and piano player. being a renowned concert pee anist may have saved her life because she was moved into a camp used for prop began at a purposes. she passed away a week before the oscars but her story moved the academy to give the film about her the oscar. >> a lot of german
1:50 am
journalists come, speak with me and so on. before they enter my room, they ask are we allowed to enter your room? do you not hate us? so my answer is i never hate. i never hate. hatred brings only hatred. >> we are pleased to bring the film makers from los angeles. the lady in number six is still playing with the other short subject nominees in select cities and day abuse on netflix april 1. congratulations. you give a wonderful tribute to alice when you won the oscar and talked about that incredible attitude of hers. what made her so remarkable? >> she was a woman who always
1:51 am
managed somehow miraclously, given what she had gone through, to see the bright side of life. her son died, her only son, and she managed through her grief to be happy that he died without knowing that he was going to die, died quickly without pain, without suffering. anyone who can look at the darkest experiences that we human beings have and see the positive is quite remarkable. >> she talked about that attitude and expressed gratitude for having been through the holocaust in which she lost her husband. let's take a look at that. >> sometimes it happens that i am thankful to have been there, because this gave me my reaction on life is, to complain, this is
1:52 am
material, so, so terrible. >> how do you plan onobuning her story to more people and increasing the message? >> we're trying to figure out how we can put an educational plan together and get it to colleges and schools and to have young people in formative years listen to this lady and understand how a different perspective on how to live life is breath taking. >> i want to talk about you guys. what's been the response since you won the oscar to her story? >> to the count at this point is 800 something. i've forgotten emails in the last 24 hours. he was winning for a while, but i think i came up in the back strait and we're neck and neck. it's the tsunami of attention. of congratulations, which is wonderful, from people that i forget that i even knew and a lot of attention from you guys, which is fantastic. >> have
1:53 am
you let your oscars go? when you won, malcolm gave this beautiful speech, you have you were just about to talk and the music played and you were cut off. feel free to give you the final words. >> i think you wanted to thank me, right? >> you know , i don't know if people realize how many people get involved in making a film. i want to give a shout out to the guys who literally worked for free. it's so wonderful for a film to be so well received because everybody started the journey to basically bring alice's story to everybody. i want to thank.com, karen, our composer, considering he's up some of the best composers ever and has to put his music in between, i ever to imagine that was a bit of crazy, can you do a bit of filler between mozart?
1:54 am
>> chris barn, u.k. producer, malcolm's co writer, tim marlow, ryan, kevin -- >> me. [ laughter ] >> and i would like you both please, i think the statuteettes are there. can you lift them up? >> i congratulate you. as i said yesterday when we talked about the fact that you were going to be on the show. if anybody is having a bad day, they should see the lady in number six. now that it's going to be on netflix in april, everybody will be able to see it. >> thank you, bye-bye. >> an early morning jog leads to the jogger getting a ticket and a complaint of a nanny state in new york. that story, next.
1:55 am
1:56 am
>> what if you went out for a jog only to be stopped by police and you got a summons? that happened to a man and is raising a question about where to draw the line between reasonable policing and turning into an excessive nanny state. peter is founder of the geek factory and help a reporter out, peter, good to have you back on the show, i don't know about these circumstances. you're out running at 4:30 in
1:57 am
the morning which also raises questions about your sanity. >> i'm training for an iron man and i have a wife who doesn't like the fact i'm never there. the only time i can work out is that early. we're two miles in and a cop drives up, drives up, stops his car and we're like good morning, we wave to the cops all the time. he said can you stop running please? he said the park doesn't open until 6:00. we're like looks open. [ laughter ] you can't close nature. he's like you're not allowed to be here for six. we said ok, there's the exit, we'll drop out. he said no, we're giving you a summons. >> you have to go to court. >> it's not a ticket, it's a summons. i can bring an attorney, it's such a waste of the taxpayer money.
1:58 am
>> were there other runners out there? >> yes, several. >> why did you get a ticket? >> because i'm slow. >> the park is huge. people like me who at one point in my life commuted every day through central park. i've never seen a sign. other members of our staff say they've seen signs. i had no idea that anybody would try to close it down. >> it's one of those rules in new york that you don't think about, like jay walking. this is new york, we walk, we cross the street, so that's another concept. >> is it going too far to close this massive space? >> police officers are given discretion in everything they do, do they ticket this, warn this, is this the spirit of legality or just something else. i think in terms of where we are in new york as a city, the last 12 years have gotten a lot of people
1:59 am
healthy, no big sodas. i quit smoking, because it was banned in bars. i'm not going to stand outside, so i quit smoking. you're actually out there trying to be healthy. that's the irony. i think the police officer could have used better discretion. i have no problem with the police officer, he was very professional, cordial, no problem with that, but the exit was right there. >> the argument is that the park can be dangerous at night, there could be people trying to sleep in dangerous conditions and freeze, reasons it should be closed. >> i'm not arguing that. saying a nanny state, the spirit of the law is to help people, keep them safe. breaking a curfew, i think coming in late, i don't think getting there early, so there's a question there. >> so we will stay on top of this. i hope you keep us posted. i hope the judge is nicer to you that that the police officer was. >> i got my miles in, though. >> good to see you. thanks for coming in.
2:00 am
>> the show may be over, but the conversation continues. we'll see you next time. >> >> >> there have been some reports that president putin is pausing for moment and reflecting on what happened. >> pause for change, but some worry actions speak louder than words. concern about doctors overprescribing antibiotics. it could make going to the hospital dangerous. california's governor signing off on millions in drought relief.

64 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on