Skip to main content

tv   Real Money With Ali Velshi  Al Jazeera  January 8, 2015 7:00pm-8:01pm EST

7:00 pm
this hour in paris france for the two suspects chara ledger italy responsible for the deaths of 12 people yesterday in paris. the investigation continues there will be an update on al jazerra america at 8:00 p.m. eastern, for now "real money" with ali velshi starts now. ♪ a deadly attack on a french satire magazine did a culture war in europe set the stage. also the battle in congress over the keystone pipeline. and will the american dream of middle class homeownership ever become reality again? i'm ali velshi and this is "real money." ♪
7:01 pm
one day after a shooting spree that killed 12 people at the magazine charlie hebdo, france is mourning. police have narrowed they manhunt to two suspects on the run. the two brothers were seen in a small town northeast of paris. police are conducting house-to-house searching in that town now. a third suspect has turned himself into police. meanwhile tensions are rising across europe with a suspicious eye cast on the muslim community after yesterday's attack. france has the largest muslim community in europe. 5 million out of a population of 65 million. the dark colors are the populations of muslims at more than 5%. where are like the kouachi brothers who police are looking for. french born citizens with
7:02 pm
familiar list from nigeria or other countries. right-wing parties have already seized on europe's faltering economic growth to push oh eventually anti-immigrant and sometimes anti-muslim agendas. they are wasting no time to garner support from an increasingly suspicious public. the death of 12 innocents yesterday. in its own way that story is being overshadowed by the symbolism of the tragedy. it's considered acceptable on both the french right and the left to question whether french muslims, even though who have been there for generations, are really french.
7:03 pm
charlie hebdo is deliberately and by design a con -- con -- controversial participant in those wars. this is a clash of civilizations. we'll have more on that but first an update on the investigation. >> reporter: ali the latest on the manhunt is it is intensifying they have moved this to the highest security alert in pairs up to the north where these men were last seen robbing this gas station. now there is a trail to follow. they robbed the gas station with guns and grenades and then fled. according to witnesses they started heading back towards paris, which is a major concern that the kouachi brothers could try to carry out some sort of spectacular attack here in
7:04 pm
paris. that's why security was beefed across paris today. and most of the manhunt is going up in this region about an hour and a half drive north of paris where security official anti-terror police have surrounded many towns and villages. roads have been blocked and residents have been told they couldn't even go home at different parts and times of the day. so that is the hot trail for officials right now to try to seek these two brothers and try to get them before they may carry out some other attack and that is the concern of course of all french officials including the prime minister today who said right now there are all of these different issues to talk about in connection with these attacks, but right now, they have got to secure paris and secure the country, and that's where all of their efforts are going. they have why witnesses, they say who have identified the brothers from photographs taken,
7:05 pm
eyewitnesss who were very close to the scene of the attack on the newspaper, and the question to one of those that i met is how were you able to identify them because the in234ish initial -- initial report said they were masked men, but one witness i talked to said that in fact they took off their masks as they drove away. he could see them and then went into the police headquarters last night and spent a lot of time with the police helping to go through the photographs and identifying them. it's also of note some u.s. sources including the "new york times" reporting that at least one of these brothers trained in yemen with al-qaeda and that is being attributed to u.s. officials, and we know from eyewitnesses here right after the attacks that these men at an intersection said which are from al-qaeda, we are from al-qaeda
7:06 pm
yemen. so that is the latest on the investigation. >> thank you for that. joining me now is the professor at brooklyn college in new york a writer who comments on the muslim experience in the west. he was muslim himself and was born in europe. he is also the author of the book "how does it feel to be a problem, being young and arab in america." good to see you thank you for being with us. i want to be cautious and respectful of not minimizing the tragedy for the families of those 12 people who died. what is more serious here the murder the heinous crime that was actually committed or this ny they talkedhe turks, in france they talked about the algearians. now you talk about their faith instead. it ease become a civilizational clash in other words, at least
7:07 pm
the discourse has become a civilizational clash. >> and is that valid? is there a civilizational clash in europe that is different from the united states. when we see things like this in the united states we like to quickly identify why the perpetrators of different than us. are we setting up a clash of civilization? >> absolutely entirely 100% reject the notion we have a clash civilizations. we are one thing only. i am a muslim and i'm not anything else. that you as a western and nothing else. in fact i think it's actually a really dangerous idea to hang on to. the extremists on the muslim side as well as the extremists and racist on the european side hold on to dearly.
7:08 pm
>> they want the other side to think of this as a big battle. this is a money show and some of this is economic. >> for sure. >> there are tough times in europe and that always seems to bring out the worst elements. >> absolutely. if you look at the case in france i think you'll see that. many of these younger generations either the immigration generation or their parents who are generations many live in the areas outside of the mayor cities in these large housing projectings, where there's -- there's a great deal of poverty, unemployment can reach 25%, and there is ver little economic opportunity. >> what is the -- what is the -- is it irresponsible for muslims to look for anything other than the fact that this is wrong, and this is a crime, and that is it a freedom of expression attack? >> i think everybody has to look at it in all of its greater
7:09 pm
context. if you are only looking for sampler solution then we're missing the bigger picture. the bigger picture has elements of integration, economic questions, global war fair and globalization itself. >> what do you think of the argument that you can only go so far in mockery, in satire in comedy? it does seem muslims take this more seriously than others. i'm going to deal with a muslim comic later in the show to say are muslims a little bit thin skinned about this? >> i do this there have been elements of that. and the muslim community needs to not respond to every provocation that happens. but they should be allowed to express vehemently peacefully but vehemently express their outrage when they feel like they too are being insulted. freedom of expression should go
7:10 pm
for everybody as well. >> it's a complicated issue isn't it. good to see you again. >> thank you very much. up next has the attack in paris made it more dangerous to be a comedian. if you want answers you need to find a palestinian mormon comic. we found one. he gets on stage and makes jokes about suicide bombers and terrorism. plus republicans still holding keystone pipe dreams. i'm going to tell you what they did today. tell me what is on your find tweet me or hit me up on facebook. keep it here. i'm back in two minutes. ♪
7:11 pm
7:12 pm
♪ the profit mohammed is deeply revered for muslims and any depiction of him is frowned on. by muslims worldwide have expressed their anger on the deadly attack on charlie hebdo.
7:13 pm
>> reporter: this is how many muslims reacted after a danish newspaper published drawings of the profit mohammed in 2005. around 250 people were killed in weeks of violent protests. most of the victims were muslim. people in denmark were shocked at the response. for most the drawings were just satire. but for muslims any kind of visual depiction of the profit is forbidden. and many believe the danish newspaper went further insulting the profit mohamed by linking him with terrorism. >> i have malkin with officials from muslim countries who say we are completely supportive of freedom of expression but those insults are not free expression which of course for us as westerners, is a real con interest diction, so i think
7:14 pm
there is a cultural and religious dimension that needs to be heard. >> reporter: they apologized but defending the cartoons. since then the magazine has released more caricatures of the profit making her editor in chief of one edition in 2011. although outraged must limb leaders say there's no justification for a violent response. >> if they have said they have revenged the profit we say they have retaliated against muslims. the most offensive thing they did was to kill people just because of their opinion. >> reporter: almost all muslim leaders agree, there might be many misunderstandings about islam, but no misunderstand
7:15 pm
about people who kill. i am joined by one of the axis of evil comedy tour. they take on controversial topics like suicide bombers and terrorisms. >> it's a great to see so many muslims laughing. right people always say, i didn't know you people laugh, my god. >> he is said when it comes to topics like religion the right approach should be a sensitive one. that's fascinating to me aaron. your stock and trade as comedians is getting a laugh by pushing buttons and crossing lines that we in -- in regular society don't do in public. how -- and you went to the middle east, you took american middle eastern comics to the middle east with middle eastern audiences. how did that go over? >> yeah i have gone to the
7:16 pm
middle east a lot. i don't know that many comics besides me and a handful of others that have gone over to the middle east and performed and our material we didn't really change. it works over there. because in the middle east they are watching seinfeld and friends, and raymond, and three's company is just called jack. they watch all of the same tv shows, so they are not disconnected from our sensibilities, so yeah i didn't have to change that much material when i went tloefr-- over there. >> but you had to change some material though. what are the kinds of things that you don't touch or pull back a little on? >> well they do tell ya -- and they kind of scare you the first few times i have gone over and they'll say don't talk about local politics local leaders, religion, and don't do anything that is explicit about sex.
7:17 pm
but sometimes they will read your material and say you can't say that and i'll go out and do it anyway and then they'll go oh i understand now. now that you perform it in a joke form i get it but when they read it -- like i have a joke about is there a religion that doesn't think they are the chosen people? does that religion exist. and they read it not quite sure and then they see you perform, and they get it. but it's sort of a challenge. >> you said sometimes it scares you. we have three al jazeera colleagues in jail in egypt at the moment for more than a year. are you scared you will get jailed censored you don't get laughs or somebody will bomb the comedy club in >> my biggest fear is just not getting laughs. i have known comedians to get banned from certain countries,
7:18 pm
so they can't perform there anymore. that's not a huge sacrifice for an american okay i can't perform in -- you know someplace anymore, but generally that's not the threat. i have never felt threatened. i have never felt fear. but it's there, that threat is there. i mean you do have to be careful or sensitive. one of the things about muslims in general is abide by the laws of the land wherever you are. so if you are in a country that is not muslim you still have to abide by their laws. i'm like hey, name a different place, it's not my country, i'll be respectful. that's not to say i won't try to push it but there are repercussions even in this country when it comes to freedom of speech right? >> these are generally muslim audiences, i assume if they are buying a ticket to see you, they have sort of signed up to that.
7:19 pm
you are offending people who are not easily offended. >> yeah people are easily offended everywhere you go. but in america we grew up with the flying mom or sister act or every scary movie has to have a catholic priest come in to do an exorcism. we're just used to sort of poking fun and mocking each other, and it's okay and over there they are not used to it. there are certain phrases you can't use. if you call somebody a party animal, they will say who are you calling on animal? but in general i just don't think the world would be a better place if we couldn't mock each other or make fun of each other, so it's growing pains. it's sort of like where the christians were 500 years ago. >> your mother is mormon your
7:20 pm
dad is arab is that how it works. >> yeah my dad is palestinian muslim my mom is more more -- mormon. >> i went to the book of mormon and i felt very uncomfortable of what was going on there. but do muslims need to get a thick erskine about this -- thicker skin about this. >> yeah i think in general they need to not be so sensitive, but they are seeing the west -- and the west has had very questionable policies in the middle east for more than 60 years. so it's not like it's out of nowhere. a lot of the political opinions are coming from -- they live in our foreign policy so there's that. but on the other -- hand they are very sensitive about jokes and what you can and can't say, and i try to challenge them.
7:21 pm
and the young ones have a great sense of humor, and i see them changing and evolving. but something like this that we're talking about in france there's no legitimate reason to commit murder right? so even muslims like my wife who is kind of fended that somebody would depict the profit in a cartoon, she understands that you have to have freedom of speech. >> aaron what an interesting topic, and great to meet you. thank you for being on the show with us. >> thanks, ali. a bolly wood movie is setting records at the box office and angering hindu groups. faiz jamil has more from new delhi. >> reporter: the film star's bollywood superstar and is about an alien on earth who is unable to return home. there is action comedy and
7:22 pm
musical numbers. the film has grossed nearly $100 million worldwide. a record. this film critic say it's the result of marketing. >> as a critic i find the film a little bit simplistic but it's a fun film and raises questions to what is happening now. >> reporter: it pokes fun at clergy and spiritual leaders. it's a what has made the film popular and controversial. the film has already broken all box office records, and is setting new ones every day. but protesters say the movie is making money at the expense of their religion. accusing the film of insulting hinduism. >> translator: people who do such things should be thrown out of the society, and such films
7:23 pm
should be banned. >> reporter: but others say the film critiques rather than insults the practice of religion and the protests have only increased interest in the film. >> reporter: the right-wing feel because the bjp is in power, it's their time to project themselves. >> reporter: but the protests don't seem to have hurt the popularity of the movie, and controversial or not, the producers have put their faith in the film. all right. coming up the battle over the keystone xl pipeline. i'll talk to a man who says stopping the pipeline will send a dangerous message to investors about the economy.
7:24 pm
it's crazy money that you can make here. [[vo]] behind america's oil boom. >>it's a ticking time bomb. [[vo]] uncovering shocking working conditions. >>do you know what chemicals have been in that tank?
7:25 pm
[[vo]] and the deadly human cost. >>my big brother didn't wake up the next day. [[vo]] faultlines. al jazeera america's hard-hitting & >>today, they will be arrested. [[vo]] ground-breaking & >>they're firing canisters and gas at us! [[vo]] emmy award winning investigative series. well it didn't take long for the g.o.p.-controlled congress to draw their first veto threat from the white house. the president said he would dash republican hopes for a bill that approves the keystone xl pipeline. a controversial pipeline that would deliver yet more canadian crude to gulf coast refineries. jamie is in washington with the latest on what would seem to us non-political types as a bit of follie. >> that's right. the bill did pass a key hurdle today.
7:26 pm
that opens the door for a floor debate in the senate. that will probably vote on monday on cloture, and the house votes on its version of the pipeline pipeline bill tomorrow. it is expected to pass easily to both houses and go to the white house, where, of course the president has promised to veto it. so back to the hill it will go and the thinking right now is it may not be able to override that veto. they need 67 votes in the senate and they have counted about 63 so far. the republicans in congress may try to attach it to a bill that may be harder to a bill to veto but at this point the attempt to fast track the pipeline right out of the gate it's faith is as uncertain as ever. >> no kidding, jamie. thank you for that. jamie macintyre for us in
7:27 pm
washington. so override a presidential veto is -- congress needs a two-thirds majority vote in each chamber, that has happened fewer than 10% of the time in all presidential vetoes. but if the backers get their way, this pipeline would start pumping about 830,000 barrels of oil from canada to the gulf coast. the process emits more pollution than traditional oil drilling that's why many environmentalists want this crude left where it is. they feel another pipeline would only bring on more mining and energy development. but supporters say the economic benefits outweigh the dangers. this man is one of them he says the real danger of keystone is a presidential veto that would scare away future investors. and he said the idea that oil and its biproducts is quote, a
7:28 pm
false notion. they are not. as for carbon emissions the simple truth is that humans created theable global warming is a theory. this line that you have written officially doesn't make the comedian i just had on the whackiest guest. do you really believe this? >> i do. if it is true that global warming advocates say that 80% of the properties are about to go under water, why are so many people buying houses right on the water. do you and the rest of the people know something we don't. >> i just remember reporting on the financial crisis. i don't think that markets are that smart. >> well that would presume the crisis was caused by what you
7:29 pm
say, but i suppose that's another debate. we're here to talk about the keystone pipeline right? >> yeah bottom line here is that your argument is that this is a private enterprise. transcanada pipeline one of billions of miles of pipeline already laid and the government has no business getting involved in this. >> let's be clear what i think. a lot of people on my side say keystone will lead to lower oil prices. that's absurd. but if president obama does veto the keystone it's not about the jobs created or lost it's a about the messages that sends to investors overall that they will not be treated as well in the united states. there are no companies, no jobs without investment first. this could have a chilling effect on investors overall. >> we have hundreds of thousands of miles of pipeline in the united states. >> absolutely and that's why
7:30 pm
i'm saying -- the creation of keystone one way or the other is not going to change the fact that we will still import oil. that oil is going to reach us either way. my concern about a veto of keystone is what it says about the u.s. government's approach to commerce in general. that a president can just block the creation of something that the markets want -- >> but john there is only one reason the president gets involved and that's because this is a pipeline that crosses an international border. this doesn't say that the president can stop anything else from happening in the country. >> yeah you make a good point. but let's face it. in general if the government wants to shut down a form of commerce if it wants to shut down a bank or scare away investment it can do this. and that's my concern. i don't see the problem of the creation of this pipeline and
7:31 pm
for a president to veto it it strikes me this person is going to have the power to veto a lot of things that people like you would like. >> would it have been a different outcome if the pipeline company weren't so ham fisted? you remember people talking about 20,000 plus jobs being created. we now know that to be entire i will false. but that's not a reason not to build the pipeline. >> no it's not. if the purpose to -- purpose of the government is to create jobs we are in trouble. this will drive less across the border, that's ridiculous. i would say the same for the left to get all up in arms for bringing oil across the border that that's going to hurt the environment, that's silly too.
7:32 pm
this oil is going to be consumed one way or the other, the idea that us -- a pipeline into the u.s. is going to somehow hurt the environment seems a bit of a reach. i think both sides have been very dishonest. >> well the environmental argument if it doesn't come here it will stay in the ground this absolutely wrong. that oil is going to move on rails or trucks. that said it does seem that everybody sort of mishandled this one on all sides, and pipelines have been built across this country for decades without anybody knowing anything about them. >> yeah, i think you are right. i think it's a mistake of basic economics. the rights say that the creation of keystone is going to lower oil prices that's laughable. oil is priced on the global markets. the notion that you can create a pipeline and reduce prices is silly. the left seems to say as you point out, if we don't build the pipeline, the oil is going to
7:33 pm
stay in the ground that's not serious either. if the oil is extractable it is going to be sold someone is going to consume it. >> john we have two topics we haven't covered tonight. the environment and what caused the financial crisis so you'll come back and we'll have those conversations? >> glad too. >> the title of the book alone makes me want to read the book. tomorrow marks the anniversary of a chemical spill that left thousands in west virginia without water for days.
7:34 pm
7:35 pm
[[vo]] an america tonight in-depth series. >>my first column was, “hey, where are the weed-smoking moms at?” [[vo]] one year legal. >>i'd try chem 4, alien dog, and girl scout cookies. [[vo]] and it's become big business. >>the state of colorado is profiting immensely off of this. [[vo]] now, we cut through the smoke and find out what's really going on. >>we can show marijuana is leaving colorado.
7:36 pm
[[vo]] the highs and lows of a year on pot. ♪ it was a year ago that a chemical spill in west virginia's elk river left 300,000 people without safe drinking water for days. scientists are still studies what happened in one of the largest municipal water emergencies the country has ever seen. jonathan went back to find out how the town is recovering. jonathan? >> reporter: hey, ali for the most part people we have spoken to they say life is pretty much back to normal. they are using the tap water to bathe and cook with. but when you talk about drinking the water, that's a different story. a lot of people are still using bottled water, because even though everybody says the water is completely safe to drink, they feel there is a trust
7:37 pm
issue. ♪ >> reporter: in bluegrass kitchen the crowd has come back. a massive chemical spill tainted the water for hundreds of thousands of west virginia residents one year ago, forcing most restaurants to close for at least a week. today keeley steele remains cautious. >> we're producing our own water with a reverse osmosis system. >> reporter: she says trust between residents, state officials and the water company hasn't been rebuilt. >> i don't think anybody really feels like they get the whole story. >> reporter: during the crisis, there were important questions that even west virginia's governor wouldn't answer. it wasn't clear how long the tank owned by freedom industries had been leaking the thethe toxic chemical. after a series of flushes to the
7:38 pm
system the state gave residents the all clear, but two days later, the cdc issued a warning for pregnant women not to drink the water. jennifer was nine months pregnant at the time. >> we got so many conflicted messages. >> reporter: after five months on bottled water, she and her family went back to using the tap water. >> personally i think the water is probably better than it was before the spill, because i think at least now they are being forced to be more transparent. >> reporter: along the elk river, freedom industry's tanks have been dismantled. although some still worry about effects. west virginia american water has spent millions upgrading its treatment system and the state legislature you fan mousily passed a law, requiring all large storage tanked to be registered and inspected.
7:39 pm
>> we make up to 20 gallons a day. >> reporter: keeley steele boughts she will ever recoup the $40,000 she lost when she had to shutdown. but she hopes the lawsuits that she and nearly 30 businesses filed will send a serious message. >> the lawsuits are there to old corporations and people that make bad decisions culpable >> reporter: and ali one of the things you heard over and over is that they want someone held accountable for the spill. the former president of freedom industries, the company responsible -- or at least blamed for the spill. he has been arrested jn indicted charged with violating the clean water act. and facing charges stemming from bankruptcy and wire fraud. so those businesses at least
7:40 pm
feel that someone may be held accountable. >> what a story that was for weeks and week on end. jonathan thank you so much. coming up next president obama has a proposal to make it easier for first time home buyers to obtain the american dream, but is it time to come up with a new dream?
7:41 pm
7:42 pm
>> start with one issue education... gun control... the gap between rich and poor... job creation... climate change... tax policy... the economy... iran... healthcare... ad guests on all sides of the debate. >> this is a right we should all have... >> it's just the way it is... >> there's something seriously wrong... >> there's been acrimony... >> the conservative ideal... >> it's an urgent need... and a host willing to ask the tough questions >> how do you explain it to yourself? and you'll get... the inside story
7:43 pm
ray suarez hosts inside story weekdays at 5 eastern only on al jazeera america ♪ mortgage rates are the lowest they have been in more than a year and a half. the average rate fell to 3.73%. that's down from 3.7% last week. that's assuming you have got good credit and you have got some money for a down payment. rates have not been this low since may of 2013 and at this point last year the 30-year rate was 4.5%. the drop in rates from last week has a lot to do with the turmoil we saw in the oil and stock markets last week. that sent investors rushing out of stocks into the safety of u.s. treasury bonds and when that happens the cost of a bond goes up the yield or the interest rate goes down and that's actually where mortgage rates get set not with the
7:44 pm
federal reserve. meanwhile president obama is trying to make it easier for more americans to get a mortgage and to become first-time home buyers. he travelled to phoenix, arizona today to promote a plan that will cut the cost of mortgage insurance for some loans. under the administration's plan premiums on mortgages backed by the housing administration will drop. the white house says that will save the average homeowner $900 a year. and help 250,000 people buy a home. 250,000 people who are on the edge of buying a home and our government cannot get off of the sugar high of trying to push people over that line. the percentage of first time home buyers has dropped to less than a third of the market. that's bad because new home buyers buy things like furniture, and buy stoves and they decorate their houses and they get gardening done and
7:45 pm
that promotes a strong economy, so we want those people buying houses. it may not be the right thing for them. not everybody likes the president's plan. some analysts say it won't make much of a difference. some republican lawmakers say it will end up hurting taxpayers if the government has to bail out the federal housing administration like it did back in 2013, because a bunch of people who didn't qualify for mortgages got them. but there is no question that more americans are renting today than before the great recession. duarte geraldino has the tale of two renters. >> reporter: there are two main types of renters, those who are forced to rent and those who believe it's their best choice. christy bell lost her home. and now rents her house in the suburbs of atlanta. >> i'm renting my home because i have to. just trying to recover from financial hardship
7:46 pm
>> reporter: shawn lives in new jersey is in his 20s, and believes that homeownership is not the symbol of financial stability that it once was. they are faces of the decline in home ownership. during the housing bubble it went up to 69%. now it's below 65%. tighter lending standards, higher down payment requirements are keeping many would be buyers on the sidelines. but shawn sees home ownership has a career impediment. jobs and businesses are hard to come by for young americans. >> right now i choose the rent just mostly for the flexibility, the mobility of getting to live in different areas of the city or possibly even out of the country. >> reporter: for christy saving up enough of a down payment is the greatest challenge. >> i get paid twice a month and the first check, the majority
7:47 pm
does go to rent so that hurts, but i do have a car payment, a kid in college, and i'm barely getting buy. >> reporter: one of out overthree americans liver in rental housing. while that may be the right choice for shawn and christy, come worry these people are losing out on the american dream. all right. i get a little hot under the collar about this one, because we really think it's fantastic when our administration the obama administration the bush administration the clinton administration do these things that make it easier for people who otherwise don't qualify for loans to get into the housing market, because that is the holy grail, getting a house. michelle is a law professor at the university of texas. she says for many people buying a home is not in their best interests. and may harm their children's
7:48 pm
educational opportunities. people need to hear this that is it not always something we should celebrate. there are other countries in the world who do not put nearly this effort into forcing people to buy homes, and more people end up owning homes in those countries. why do we have this sugar rush about everybody needing to buy a home. >> because it's always been a part of the american dream. when people say american dream, one of the things that they are thinking about is your own home with the white picket fence that you live in with your spouse and 1.8 children, so it's a part of who we are as americans, and a part of how we have defined ourselves for decades. >> so we have homeownership as a goal. we need to think about retirement as a goal and we have our child's education as a goal and that is a very expensive one. these things are becoming more expensive, and your argument is if we push one over the other
7:49 pm
people's education suffers, and the point i make is that the requirement suffers. >> everything does suffer. homeownership is based on a bunch of premises which simply don't exist anymore. this notion that you graduate from college, you get a high-paying job in your area as soon as you graduate from college, you wait a few years, you get married, you wait a few more years, you get ready to start your family by having children, and by then you have saved up money to -- for a down payment on a home that simply isn't the way most people and certainly not most millennials are living anymore. so you are absolutely right. one of the huge challenges facing the middle class now are you are trying to put your kids through school tuition is going up you are trying to save to put your kid through school so your child doesn't have to borrow tons and tons in student loans, but while you are trying
7:50 pm
to help your child go to school you are also trying to pay off your mortgage and you are working for a company that no longer has a defined benefits plan which means if you are going to have a retirement you have to fucked -- fund it yourself. >> you are a processor, and you could hold your job for many many many years and retire in boston. mobility is something we have to build into housing these days because we have got to be able to move those young people you just talked about who are not the future may not take a job where they are in it for 15 or 20 years. they may be in a job for knife knife -- five years in a house that is paid for over 30. >> right. the notion that you take out a mortgage for 15 to 30 years, because you have a job that is stable and secure and that you
7:51 pm
will have raises while you have that job for 15 or 30 years, and you never plan to have a job, that's just not the reality that is facing most americans. so in the recession when a lot of people were trapped -- i mean the comment that was used a few minutes ago in the earlier segment was that you are anchored to this home. so you need to move to another city but you can't afford to move to the other city because you are trapped in a home that has a mortgage and even worse during the recession, people owned homes that were worthless than they had to pay on the mortgage. so they are underwater and truly trapped, and the labor markets can't afford to have people in topeka who can't move exactly. >> michelle a waste of time having this interview with you, because we are both preaching to the choir, so we need to have
7:52 pm
another one to talk about how do we do to fix it. michelle dickerson, a law professor at the university of texas, and the author of the book: federal regulators just slapped honda for failing to report more than 1700 serious accidents involving its cars. these are accidents that go back to 2003 involving injuries and deaths. so how could it possibly take this long to act? i'll find out next. xt.
7:53 pm
7:54 pm
♪ i just complained about the obama administration doing something in the last block, so now i'll give them credit. they just imposed a record $70 million $70 million against honda. the fines are the maximum allowed by the national highway traffic safety administration. the accidents date back to 2003. they require car makers to report possible defects and deaths injuries and damages. we have learned this year that that doesn't always happen. so why did it take regulators so long to discover involved death ae any action then. >> at some point you lose your free pass right? and there are 310 million
7:55 pm
americans roughly in their 310 million cars roughly. there's a car for every american who can drive. at some point why are we using the honor system? >> that's a great question. the honor system is wonderful, but you also have to have to have a cop on the beat. you can't wait 11 years, 12 years to put a system in place to do the kind of monitoring and auditing that you need to do to ensure that compliance is there. >> the $70 million is the maximum, it's actually not, it's $35 million, because this is two different fines. so they have two times the maximum. the unfortunately part is the fines don't hurt them that much and it doesn't seem to hurt them in the showroom either. so should we be revisiting what the penalty structure is? >> yeah what really needs to
7:56 pm
happen is we need to look at the criminal penalties for the executives that make those decisions. once that starts to happen then we start to see a shift in the dynamic. there is a new head of nitsa, should we expect changes because of that? are we getting better regulators? >> i'm very hopeful -- the new administrator has been making the right signals that -- he is serious about shaking this agency up. we know by the failures over the past few years that this is an agency at rock bottom and needs guidance. >> is there any likelihood of criminal charges in this debacle? >> you know, there could be with the department of justice, it certainly involved. that's entirely possible although i don't see it as likely that anybody will go to jail over this i think we need to get to the point where enforcement is in real time.
7:57 pm
no one in my work was surprised to find there was non-reporting by honda or anybody else for that matter because when you don't have a system in place to ensure monitoring, you can expect that those who have to supply the information is not always going to be honest about it. >> shawn kaine is the founder and president of safety research strategies. we thank him for joining us. that is our show for today. i'm ali velshi. thank you for joining us. ♪
7:58 pm
hi, everyone, this is al jazeera america. on the run 90,000 officers on the hunt tonight. blood brothers the home grown suspects still at large, the warning signs before the massacre. backlash, europe's far right seizes on the attack will it fuel more anti-muslim anger. and drawing the line, where does provocation end, and prejudice begin.