Skip to main content

tv   Talk to Al Jazeera  Al Jazeera  May 2, 2015 7:30am-8:01am EDT

7:30 am
ion was well received in singapore, creating another path along the silk road. a quick reminder you can keep up to date with all the news on the website. there it is on your screen. the address aljazeera.com. aljazeera.com. commissioner william bratton. >> this is not race unfortunate. despite what the federal court says. it's his second go as head of the police force, and back when race dominates. >> when you have people chanting what do i want, cops. i'm sorry, that's too mar he says police arrogance,
7:31 am
like the issue with an uber driver was not an incident that will be tolerated. >> that is not the overriding type of behaviour the office exhibits stop and frisk was well intended but abused. >> the powers that be didn't fully recognise the alienation that created to the chrissic. broken windows, a tactic targetting low-level crime, the use was indispensable in lowering violence. happened. >> the muslim community and law enforcement that brought about actions of unfair targetting are a thing of the past. >> how i identify the communities in the city, we do it in al qaeda's much less intrusive i spoke to commissioner bratton at police headquarters in new york. a day after taking over the department you said it's unfortunate the relationship between the police and community was marked by disconnect and
7:32 am
alienation, speaking about new york city, saying that you want to identify why it is that in this city people do not feel good about a department that made them safe. what have you been able to do that. >> new york being new york, when things happen here they have national ramification, so the controversy of stop and frisk, the alien situation of the minority chounty, the black community, alienation of some parts of the muslim community, and concerns about terrorism and activities of the n.y.p.d. - it sees a lot of attention. ironically as we come out of 2014, we saw that those issues, the issues involving blacks were not just unique to new york. they were actually exploding elsewhere in america.
7:33 am
as we exit 2014, there may have been co sis in 196 -- controversies in 1968 and the civil rights battles, we are in a new paradigm. it will be the battle of 2015 to address the issues. >> the police department was seen as the enemy by many in los angeles. you were police commissioner in los angeles, what did you do there that managed to change things. certainly things are seen as better in los angeles today than they were 10 years ago. >> what specifically did you do that made that difference? >> we addressed the changing, leadership and recruit of course, making the department more demographically viable in the sense that it looked like the population of los angeles, same thing york. >> do you think it could work york.
7:34 am
>> for example, ferguson, they are issues involved in black city. the police force had a total of 90 officers. discontent and bred distrust. it's ironic that cities that have large numbers of police officers - philadelphia, detroit, and some majority areas, the issue of community mistrust exists, but it doesn't mean the goal of a racially diverse department. >> you have a racial matters happening here, in the wake of eric garner's death and the protests in new york. how do you stop it? >> you stop it by, one, recognising whether it's a reality or perception.
7:35 am
it has to be addressed. the minority believes the department has to speak to new york and the department was not treating minorities fairly. in this city, the fact that crime was down dramatically, and police were ever present in minority neighbourhoods, ever more intrusive in day to day lives from people in the neighbourhoods. crime in new york city was down 80% from the bad old days. i liken that to talk about medicine. we have a doctor discovering cancer, radiation and chemo. they treat with heavy doses, but as they get better, they use the dose. as a patient the minority got better. the doctor, a police department administered larger and larger doses and the patient was getting sicker not from the original cancer, but sicker from
7:36 am
the new disease, and the disease in new york was unnecessary levels of enforcement. >> was racism behind na? >> federal court found that. i don't believe that. i'm sorry. i'm proud of my profession, that department. >> you don't think it's apples. >> i don't think it's systematic by any stretch of the imagination. this department is not a racist police department. almost 50% of what happened is minority. uniformed officers. over 50%, 70% is minority. over 50% of the cops in the city live in the city. sorry, people can think what they want. i don't believe it is. i have to deal with a perception
7:37 am
or reality, and the way to deal with that is constantly seeking to reach out. i used the expression for the two murdered detectives, about other. >> part of that disconnect. aside from people who accused police of being racist is police arrow gans, and you -- arrogance and you saw the case of the police officer addressing a newberg driver, a minority with a level of arrogance which is alarming. address. >> that behavior of that officer is contrary to everything that this department is about. we are in the process of conducting one of the largest training initiatives in the history of this department and in the country. over the next couple of months
7:38 am
we have trained 20,000 police officers for three days on all the issues that showed up in that video - the arrogance, the disrespect, the discourtesy, the abuse of language, threats made. there was nothing in that video that i saw that i liked. that behaviour is not the overriding type of behaviour our officers exhibit. when that happens, we judge it forcefully. the good news is with all the videos out there, we are able to document when it happens, and take forceful action and dress it. >> the flipside of what happened over the past year is - was demonstrated tragically with the murder of the two officers. are police less safe as a result arisen. >> i think clearly the tensions in that instance were the direct causal factor in their murder.
7:39 am
from my perspective, there's no denying that. when you have people demonstrating chanting what do i want, dead cops, i'm sorry, that's a bridge too far. based on our investigation, the person in that was influenced by his own ranting on the web, by the event of those several weeks and months. >> at the funeral of one of police officers, hundreds of your officers turned their backs on the mayor, because they think mayor bill de blasio is antipolice. have you managed to bridge that divide between your officers and city hall? >> i think there has been a lot more planks on the bridge where the bridge had basically been destroyed for a period of time. i point out that those funerals of 27 officers, there was 3,000,
7:40 am
and another, and several hundred showed a lack of respect for the reason they were supposed to be there to pay respects for the decreased officers. making it personnel, in a sense whatever anger or frustration - that shouldn't have occurred, they disrespected themself and deceased officers and the department. i spoke out about my disstain. >> still ahead, commissioner bill bratton on some of the controversial police actions, broken window, stop and frisk and surveillance of muslim communities.
7:41 am
7:42 am
you're watching "talk to al jazeera", i'm antonio mora. our guest this week new york city police commissioner william bratton. new york becoming a safe place, it has been greatly credited to
7:43 am
you and mayor giuliani, and following the broken windows theory, and, you know, small crimes that disorder leads to greater crimes. stop and frisk, which was instituted more specifically after you left and you mentioned earlier went to certain extremes. the court order said it had to be limited under certain circumstances. was stop and frisk, which i know you believe is an essential part inappropriately? >> i think so. i said that repeatedly. there was too much of it, it was unnecessary. that's borne out by the fact that we have - we do sit very significantly during my 15 months as police officer. my predecessor ray kelly reduced it dramatically during his time with no negative impact on reduction of crime in the city. >> how should it be used?
7:44 am
>> you have to have reasonable suspicion that a crime has, is or about to be committed. if a crime has not been, is not or is not about to be committed, you can't have the officer fabricate it. the community felt that too many officers were inappropriately stopping them. the federal court found that. too many personal were engaged inappropriately. the situation was compounded by an issue that was so well intended. it had positive consequences. the issue of operation impact was intended to deal with the fact that the department was losing 6,000 officers. the concept of taking, graduating with recruit classes, putting them in high crime neighbourhoods like general
7:45 am
petraeus did in iraq, we surged twice a year. the problem is it's as if the army took recruits out of army, putting them into combat with no experience. if the thousands, tens of thousands of officers were engaging in inappropriate stops, who was there to supervise and correct them. one sergeant for every 12 officers. it's my belief that while the programme is well intended to deal with the losses. 6,000 officers and had an ability to reduce crime, the affect, apart from the reduced crime numbers, the community felt was the cops constantly stopping the young men. and, unfortunately, powers that be didn't fully recognise the alienation this was creating over time.
7:46 am
alienation, a legacy that they were dealing with myself. >> what do you say to critics who argue that broken windows and stop and frisk are not responsible for crime in new york city or elsewhere, that it would happen anywhere, that the crack epidemic had gone away and crime would have been on the decline anyway. >> they are entitled to their opinion, and they were here. i know what happened. most of them were not, were theorising. broken window policing compstat, all of that played a role. no one thing was entirely responsible. we benefited from the fact in this city that we had a lot more cops to work with. we had a lot of coordinated activities with district attorneys, federal government. there's no one thing, you can't point to broken windows and say
7:47 am
that was the point of crime. it was an essential component. it's like a doctor dealing with you. this was a very sick city in 1990 going down for the count, and it came back. it came back, a patient brought in for emergency room. all these doctors surging. some engaged in life saving and others dealing with less severe industries, we didn't just treat the patient with broken windows policing. that was an element. we treated with compstat style policing. we were treating it with medicine, because they had so many cops to work with. it is a perfect storm in the sense that we had everything we needed all at the same time to address the illnesses that we were facing. >> you mentioned compstat which is technology that helps you deploy the resources based on that.
7:48 am
you are now looking at technology that focuses on shots that are fired around the city. how important is technology to making our city safe. >> the compstat city you referenced was a phenomenal change in the 1990s, particularly in policing. it's based on the use of information, ensureing accountability. gathering up information, you identify hot spots and patents. you respond to that, tactics, plain clothes and task for. and the good news at this time is that i have the resources to implement every type of technology that is out there, all at the same time. this will be
7:49 am
invest lugsry year in a -- a revolutionary year in policing. the next year in policing, dealing with terrorism and crime will be predictive policing, taking huge amounts of information, developing algorithms and predicting for us. the crime is likely to occur in a geographic story. if you think of terrorism, that's how we deal with crime. terrorism is the big difference between when you were commissioner the first time, and being a commissioner... >> it was almost non-existent in 1994, even after the first world trade center bombing. >> how big a target city. >> we believe it remains the number one terror tart in the world -- target in the world of i see nothing to refute that, that's how we police new york
7:50 am
city, with the belief that it will be the number one terror target in the world, for a variety of reasons. >> how big a part of your department is counterterrorism. >> we have over 1,000 officers focussed on the gathering of the information, analysing and attempting to detect plots. >> how safe is the city? >> the city is safe. there's no city in the world as safe as new york in terms of capabilities, mann powers and resources. there's no city in america that takes it more seriously than us, with the exception of corey washington, and los angeles a close second. >> did the police department go too far in fighting terrorism in the way that it tried to infiltrate the muslim community? >> where does that stand. many felt
7:51 am
alienated from the police department because of made. >> that's the subject of a number of suits and litigation at the moment that i was not here during that time. since my appointment. after my pointment, as we reviewed the information. one of the units that was the subject of concern on the part of the muslim community or some factions was an entity with a number of names, but the demographic unit was the one most widely used. its responsibility, among some of its responsibilities was to identify in this large city, where was the muslim population. it's something that police attempted to do. we want to know where the jewish population is located in the city. we do the same thing in los angeles, for a variety of circumstances, number one being
7:52 am
to protect the communities. much as the jewish community feels under threats as a result of bias or hate attacks, with some of the tenseness around the world, largely focused on issues involving the muslim community, the muslim religion, the issues of terrorism emanating so significantly from that part of the world, that religion, that there is a potential for hatred violence and retaliation against that community. if there's an incident were there might be retaliatory action you need to know where to matter. >> do you think the police unfairly targeted the muslim community. >> i can't take to what occurred before i got there, but when i got here the demographic unit
7:53 am
was down to two maybe three fers, and effectively ceased to function. that was an action taken by my predecessor ray kelly, quite obviously whatever the reason was for the creation of that unit in the first place, it was deemed by 2013 to no longer be needed. in terms of how i identify the various communities in the city, we do it in a way that is probably much less intrusive than the concerns that some members of the community had about the able to ifs of the department in 2014. that's where our community service officers, our precinct commanders, they know the communities in their presicts. they know who live there, where places of worship are, where school are. that's what they are supposed to know. they are police officers and they are suppose to know with. >> looking towards the future,
7:54 am
you said that in addition to race. that matters were escalateingand many are visiting us, and once again at the forefront is america's police forces. do you think we'll see crime worsening? not in this city, and we are not seeing it in america. crime is down. what we are seeing worsening or maybe it's more visible, that it was beneath the surface, and event in ferguson, event here in new york and elsewhere exacerbated it and brought to the forefront. is that there is a tension in this country around the issue of race, it's an historical legacy of slavery. we are feeling its impact 200 years after it was done away with in this country. police are right dead center in the bulls
7:55 am
eye on the issue. it it's where minorities lie, and so much is distressed because of lack of educational opportunity and high incarceration rates. all of those compound the minority communities, that they are ahead of it treated fairly. they are in desperate circumstances, and in this city. new york city, i speak in an informed way that where we see the highest crime rates, they are in minority communities. stay with us, in a minute commissioner bratton talks about what he'd like his legacy to be. >> every day is another chance to be strong. >> i can't get bent down because my family's lookin' at me. >> to rise, to fight and to not give up.
7:56 am
>> you're gonna go to school so you don't have to go war. >> hard earned pride. hard earned respect. hard earned future. >> we can not afford for one of us to lose a job. we're just a family that's trying to make it. >> a real look at the american dream. "hard earned". premiers tomorrow, 10:00 eastern. only on al jazeera america.
7:57 am
[ ♪♪ ] [ ♪♪ ] i'm antonio mora, my guest this
7:58 am
week on "talk to al jazeera", new york city commissioner william bratton. >> what do you hope your legacy will be? >> oh, i'm very comfortable with what my legacy will be because in some respects it's already there. the profession i chose to be a part of has had a profound effect, largely positive on this country, in this city and los angeles and boston where i worked before. but what is clearly evident, there is more that needs to be done. and in the years i have left to me in the profession, i intend to move the profession even farther forward, to move in this case, the nypd even farther forward so that when i step away i can look back and say quite proudly have had a life of significance, a life that matters. >> is that why you're back, because you were successful in boston. you were successful in new york. you were successful in la and you were doing awfully well in the private sector. so why come back?
7:59 am
>> i'm back for several reasons. i think i can make a difference. i'm here because i'm having a lot of fun. i enjoy what i do. and we have our good days. we have our bad days. but by and large most days are good days. and if you're not going to have fun at what you're doing, if you're not going to enjoy it, get out because you're not going to be effective. this is a very special time in policing. it's a time of great opportunity, a time of great challenge. i oftentimes use the expression that if you don't have a crisis, create one because out of crises comes opportunity and challenge. and crises also allows you the opportunity to speed up the change, the process of change. commissioner bratton, thank you, and wish you the best of luck with your efforts to keep new york safe. >> thank you, great to talk to you. hope we do it >> tomorrow. pop-rock, new wave icon kate pierson. >> woo! woo! woo! woo! >> revealing the secrets behind her biggest hits. >> i can express myself in a different way. >> her latest controversial track. >> i was very taken aback. >> and making a long lasting impact on the world.
8:00 am
>> i have to just be myself. >> every sunday night. >> i lived that character. >> go one on one with america's movers and shakers. >> we will be able to see change. >> gripping. inspiring. entertaining. "talk to al jazeera". tomorrow, 6:30 eastern. only on al jazeera america. >> khanki [han-kee] refugee camp northern iraq. a family is burying a young woman they say was killed while escaping the group calling itself the islamic state. her father told us what happened.