Skip to main content

tv   BBC World News  BBC America  April 8, 2015 9:00am-10:01am EDT

9:00 am
ms. is "bbc america." and now, live from london "bbc world news". >> hello. "bbc world news," our top stories. an american police officer is charged with murder after apparently gunning down a black man as he ran away. the greek prime minister pay pays his respects to russia holding talks with president putin about his country's debt crisis. hundreds of flights to france are cancelled as the country's air-traffic control controllers go on strike. helen mir rin saying women need to be liberated from being
9:01 am
sexy and beautiful. hello and welcome. a white police officer in the american state of south carolina has been charged with the murder of a black man. the charge came within hours of investigators seeing a video of the incident. walter scott was shot in the back repeatedly while apparently running away from the officer. the fbi and the justice department are jointly investigateing the incident which follows a series of high profile killings of african-americans by white police officers. we have this report and warning, you may find some of the images disturb disturbing. >> reporter: it was a video hastily recorded by a passerby. it's led to a police officer being charged with murder.
9:02 am
on the eighth shot 50-year-old walter scott fell to the ground. watch again. he appears unarmed and is running away. mr. scott had been stopped for having a broken brake light. he died here the latest killing of an african-american man by a white police officer. the police man, michael slager 33 said he felt threatened. he explained his actions over the radio. >> shots fired. subject is down. he grabbed my taser. >> but the video made the difference. >> as a result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder. >> now michael slager is in prison at a time of heightened attention over similar shootings, the police made a point of releasing the footage of him being charged.
9:03 am
there was an outcry from mr. scott's family after the shoot shooting on saturday when the policeman claimed he acted within the guidelines. >> he needs to know that wasn't an animal that he killed he was my son. >> reporter: mr. scott's family welcomed the police officer's arrest. >> i don't want to see any get shot down the way that my brother got shot down. we've all seen the video. if there wasn't a video, would we know the truth? or would we have just gone with this report earlier. we do know the truth now. >> the fbi and the justice department are also investigate investigating exactly what happened. this time, the authorities have moved swiftly in south carolina but, still, the public reaction has been to ask, would they have acted if it hadn't been caught on video? "bbc news," los angeles. the greek prime minister alexis tsipras, is holding
9:04 am
formal talks with president putin in moscow at a time his country's future is in doubt. his first action was to pay his respects at the tomb of te unknown soldier. his visit comes on the eve of a deadline for greece to pay the international monetary fund 450 million euros. mr. tsipras' first two months in power have been dominated by the installment of its 240 billion international bailout program. in the latest sign of worsening relations between athens and its european creditors. greece demanded almost 280 billion euros in world war ii reparations from germany. mr. tsipras' visit to moscow appears to have widespread back backing amongst residents in athens. >> translator: i think what he's doing is right. i think he should have all these alliances with russia and the united states and europe.
9:05 am
i believe he's making a lot of effort and these efforts will show if he succeeds in writingbringing results. >> shouldn't europe be obliged to help us? they should help us. they should give the government funds. since they are not giveing us funds and created the current situation he is doing the right thing. >> translator: perhaps it's a way of pressuring greece's partners if there is no agreement on the bailouts. >> let's speak to our moscow correspondent, kevin connolly and ask him whether russia was a viable source of funding for greece. >> you take into account the huge amounts greece is in debt the answer is no moscow probably doesn't have the wherewithal to fix greece's economic problems even if it had the will. this is about something more limited. about alexis tsipras saying to his european partners who are
9:06 am
his creditors, look there are other financial irons in the fire, maybe not a complete solution to greece problems but other people to talk to other ways of doing business. of course mr. tsipras interests the russians because he's known to be skeptical about the vowel of the eu's core policy towards russia of punishing the moscow government for actions in ukraine by imposeing economic sanctions and calls them a "road to nowhere." russia begins to scent the possibility of a chunk in the european union's armor of unanimity and keen to exploit it. although i don't think there will be a huge economic deal here, i think the two sides share an interest in showing europe they can do business together. >> i just returned from a weekend on one of the greek island islands, orthodox easter coming up in russia. is greece really much more
9:07 am
european faceing? >> i always worry a bit we tend to overplay those cultural historical things. yes, they do have a shared faith of orthodox christianity. they do have to some extent shared moments of history, russia among other nations help greece to secure their independence in fact. that is true there is a cultural reservoir to draw on. for modern greece membership of nato and the european union are absolutely central to its modern political identity. it's not possible really for greece to reshuffle all of the cards in its political deck to make a really profound change there, especially not when you consider the vast amount of money that it owes. in other news today, a site in new york candles were lit where hundreds massacred by militants bodies have been bury
9:08 am
buried and tikrit was overrun by the extremists in june. >> and weapons to a saudi led coalition fighting houthis. the houthis opposed to the president have taken control of large parts of the country in recent months. airplanes have struck in the southern yemeni province. mexican police officers say 15 police officers have been killed in an ambush. a criminal gang known as the new generation is suspecteded of carrying out the attack. the kenyan authorities say they've frozen the bank accounts of 86 individuals and organizations they suspect of financeing terrorism. the attack by al shabaab militants at the university college in which 148 people died. the government promised to deny the emergent group to access to resources and plans to carry out
9:09 am
further attacks. our correspondent is in nairobi and i asked him how effective this freeze will be? >> we don't know yet. the effect of this move by the interior ministry they have confirmed they have frozen about 13 exchanges, the informal money transfer systems many somalis around the world use to send money back home. they've also frozen as you said 86 individual accounts of individuals believed to be fund funding al shabaab rep parb operations in kenya. it is keen to show it has taken control following the attack both in the financial simystems in al sha bob andbaab and general security. i saw soldiers walking on the streets in pairs of twos.
9:10 am
that was a message the government is trying to send to boost the confidence it is indeed in control. >> what about underground just suppliers of hard cash? how are the funding flows managed? this is one and presumably there are others. >> very much so. there are many somalis here who are hard working honest living individuals sending money back home regularly. they have already sent their concern on social media saying they want to send money back home because they've come to kenya to work for their families and because of the closure of some of these accounts they will find it difficult to do. as you know al shabaab had about four gunmen in that university and that did not require a lot of funding. it is very complex operations such as those that will be difficult to manage for the
9:11 am
government. it is not really expensive financial operations but delivers hard blows like we saw at the gar rissaissa university attack. >> overall where are we now in terms of the response of the government and people's response to how the deposit is copeing? >> we finished now the official three days of mourning in kenya. last night, there was a moving and highly emotional vigil at the park here in nairobi, the cap sal and a few hundred people who had come there, includeing some of the students from garissa university to send their tribute and prayers to families who have lost their loved ones. the nation is still shocked following this attack. the key thing for the kenyan government as far as they're concerned is to try and stop another attack.
9:12 am
>> in nairobi for us. now, this isn't a good day to try and visit france if you're flying because air traffic controllers are on strike because of working conditions and hundreds of delay delays and many more coming. not every traveler will be affected by these cancellations. >> we should reassure people coming from a long way away from france they probably won't be affected. long-haul flights to france are pretty much okay and as usual the ones protected. it's the medium and short haul affected. if you're arriveing and traveling on, you may have a problem. the big transatlantic flights are going on as scheduled. at the local level and regional level there are hundreds of cancellation cancellations. ryan air for example, the budget airline canceled about 250, not just to and from france france
9:13 am
being in this middle of europe its airspace is important for flights going to other places like morocco or portugal spain and germany. 250 canceled by ryan air. air france has canceled a lot of short haul flights in germany and france and people traveling on may have difficulty. there isn't chaos at the airport airports. various camera crews for the french media wondering whether they will pick up scenes of lost passengers in fury and so on. because this has been prepared for, the airlines have been able to warn passengers and most people seem to be able to rearrange their flights. that's just a lot of cancellation cancellations. >> in paris. please stay with us on "bbc world news". much more to come. >> what's light to reach the top of the world? and we hear from those who made it.
9:14 am
it tastes better when you grow it. it tastes even better when you share it. it's not hard, it's doable. it's growable. get going with gro-ables. miracle-gro. life starts here. your mom's got your back. your friends have your back. your dog's definitely got your back. but who's got your back when you need legal help? we do.
9:15 am
we're legalzoom, and over the last 10 years, we've helped millions of people protect their families and run their businesses. we have the right people on-hand to answer your questions backed by a trusted network of attorneys. so visit us today for legal help you can count on. legalzoom. legal help is here. you drop 40 grand on a new set of wheels, then... wham! a minivan t-bones you. guess what: your insurance company will only give you 37-thousand to replace it. "depreciation" they claim. "how can my car depreciate before it's first oil change?" you ask. maybe the better question is why do you have that insurance company? with liberty mutual new car replacement, we'll replace the full value of your car. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
9:16 am
this is "bbc world news." a white police officer has been charged with murder after apparently gunning down a black man as he ran way. the greek prime minister has been paying his respects to russia's unknown soldier and holding talks with russia on greece's monetary crisis. the biggest deal we've seen -- haven't seen in about a decade actually. shaking the oil markets indeed. hello. huge takeover in the energy sector, because the oil company, royal.shell is buying the uk's third largest energy company, bg group, formerly british gas for nearly 70$70 billion. a joint statement says the thess the board boards of both companies have backed the deal and recommending
9:17 am
shareholders approve the takeover. the takeover will produce a company with a combined value of nearly 300$300 billion. if it goes ahead certainly the recent collapse in oil prices we know what they've been doing over the last six months they have played a large part in this. shell announced because of the low prices it would cut spending by 15$15 billion over the next three years and bg wrote down the value of its oil and gas assets writing down 9$9 billion due to the oil price slump. i do have my clicker, thank you very much. i heard that the voice of god. let's take a look. this is the reason we're seeing consolidation or perhaps the start of consolidation in the industry oil prices down what? some 50% in the past six months. take a look at the two involved in this deal bg group, surgeing, at one point up about 43%.
9:18 am
and the royal dutch down slight slightly. and it caused a rally for the main markets. the ftse up and that's pretty flat there. i want to look at the asian markets. very important we saw the nikkei close to 15 year highs, hang seng at seven year highs on the assumption china will continue china and japan will continue with more stimulus. all eyes on the u.s. it is earnings seasons there and worrying of the impact on corporate profits. you can tweet me@bbcaaron. >> even more. >> every single day, geeta, every single day. >> lovely to see you. the annual climbing season is getting under way. mt. everest, most expeditions
9:19 am
planned for 2014 were canceled after an avalanche that killed 16 hikers. they will be documenting the avalanche at the base camp and we talk to three people who conquered everest and their first experience on the top of the world. >> being on the summit was so weird. i imagined i would get to the top, punch the air, a great crescendo of music and helicopter following me around. the reality was i fell to my knees. the feeling was this tidal wave of relief. all that worry for two years, will i make it? looking up at the summit from base camp and thinking i'll be the luckiest person in the world if i ever stand up there and actually be there, it was just like this relief and disbelief. i remember thinking there's no time to celebrate as well. we've got to get back down now. it was mixed emotions really. >> on reaching the summit i had
9:20 am
already two successive years got to within 300 meters in height of the summit. it was extremely good on the third attempt, doing the extra 300 meters. the only problem was the camera which was meant to record this for the charity that we were working for did not work because there wasn't enough light when we got to the summit. i told the sherper we must wait to get the camera working for the summit shot and he said no no must not linger up here. bad for the reputation of the sherper if a tourist dies and they want to get you down as quickly as possible. we had to wait for three hours and got very cold indeed until the camera eventually froze and didn't work and some other bloke came up and took a photo. >> it was a long time ago now, my first ascent, 2004. i was going up with henrik nor
9:21 am
norbrik. he's dead now and died in an avalanche a few years later. we were the first of the year to get out there. he was so nice, he had been there previously. he held back just a little bit. the last 20 30, 40 yards, i was on my own. i remember turning around and he wasn't there. there he is on your shoulder the whole time and he wasn't there. for a few brief moments i had the summit to myself. how do you put something like that, something which is so emotionally overwhelming so sublime, the whole of the planet the whole of the planet beneath your feet? >> what a feeling, can't imagine it. >> we are celebrateing the 70th
9:22 am
birthday of one of britain's most famous actresses this year helen mirren and she's still going strong. she plays a jewish reffing whougee who battles the government taking a painting from her family in world war ii. >> the painting belongs to her family. she is the mona lisa of austria, who will fight you to the end for something we believe is ours. >> this is a story about maria altman's struggles to get her family's pictures back which belonged eded in her family. >> it has become -- the problem was they had become iconic pictures for vienna. although when they were originally painted they were thought of as being decadent art and in fact the nazi regime really didn't approve of clemson. so they were put aside. but as time went on of course he was recognized to be the
9:23 am
great artist that he is. >> they destroyed my family. they killed my friend and they forced me to abandon the people and the places that i lost. i won't let them humiliate me again. >> 100,000 people have now been reunited with their paintings that were stolen during the nazi era. how much of an outrage is stolen art? >> it's not just stolen art. the art becomes a symbol of a stolen life and stolen memories. >> the film shows a flashback of the nazis sweeping into austria in the late 1930s and the grow growing plight of anti-semnysm. i wond -- anti-semitism. i wonder what you think of the woman in europe? >> that story is always relevant. there's never a year it's not relevant because it's always happening to one community or another in the world.
9:24 am
unfortunately, it's the nature of human behavior to demonize the other, because actually it's all to do with finance and economic economics, really. i think that's why it's always important to remind ourselves what the reality of that is. >> people see a masterpiece by one of austria's finest artists. but i see a picture of my aunt a woman who used to talk to me about life. >> i love the fact that this film is about maria, a wonderful female lead to play? do you still feel there's not enough female lead stories to play out there? >> i've always said make sure there are great roles for women to play in life. as night follows day, that will become reflected in drama. that's what we have to argue about and fight for, that's what i believe, anyway. >> do you like the fact that a lot of women think that you're very sexy? >> i don't think sexy is such an
9:25 am
important thing, honestly. you know what does it mean? attractive i can understand. there are people -- maybe that's the word i'm looking for, attractive, in the sense of personality, there's a charm, there's a you know you know you meet people you say, i like them, they're nice. free us from all of that for god's sake. liberate us from that. liberate us from sexy and from beautiful. >> there's a hope. hole len mirren there in that special interview. some breaking news now. an explosion has been recorded in jakarta in the shopping area we're seeing at least four people have been injured after the explosion near a police station in the shopping area. according to a high ranking police officer the police found
9:26 am
nail shrapnel around the location of the explosion and they do suspected it is a bomb blast. it happened a week after former head of the counter-terrorism squad has been warning about jihadists in the country. we'll be bringing you much more in the next few minutes. stay with us if you can. thanks for watching. uhh you do know, the experts at midas will tell you what needs fixing now and what can wait, right? like, i dunno...brakes? >>[laughs] of course i do. one of the best things about driving is being able to stop. get up to a hundred dollars back by mail on a two-axle brake service. brakes. tires. oil. everything. [sfx: mnemonic]
9:27 am
we snap it. we stack it. we smoosh it. we love it. hershey's makes it a s'more... you make it special. hershey's is mine, yours our chocolate.
9:28 am
♪ ♪ the pursuit of healthier. it begins from the second we're born. after all, healthier doesn't happen all by itself. it needs to be earned... every day... from the smallest detail to the boldest leap. healthier means using wellness to keep away illness... knowing a prescription is way more than the pills... and believing that a single life can be made better by millions of others. healthier takes somebody who can power modern health care... by connecting every single part of it. realizing cold hard data can inspire warmth and compassion... and that when technology meets expertise...
9:29 am
everything is possible. for as long as the world keeps on searching for healthier... we're here to make healthier happen. optum. healthier is here.
9:30 am
"bbc world news," our top stories. a white police officer is charged with murder after gun gunning down a black man as he ran away. the greek minister pays respects to russia's war dead and talks to president putin about his country's debt crisis. hundreds of flights to and from france are canceled as hundreds of air traffic controllers go on strike. a communities living in fear pakistani christians under attack in their own country.
9:31 am
hello. a white police officer in the american state of south carolina has been charged with the murder of a black man. the charge came within hours of investigators viewing a video of the incident. walter scott was shot in the back repeatedly was apparently running away from the officer. the fbi and the justice department are jointly investigateing the incident which follows a series of high profile killings of african-americans by white police officers. we have this report. a warning, you may find some of the images disturbing. >> reporter: it was a video hastily recorded by a passerby. it's led to a police officer being charged with murder. on the eighth shot, 50-year-old walter scott fell to the ground. watch again.
9:32 am
he appears unarmed and is running away. mr. scott had been stopped for having a broken brake light. he died here, the latest killing of an african-american man by a oo i white police officer. the police man, michael slager, 33, said he felt threatened. he explained his actions over the radio. >> shots fired. subject is down. he grabbed my taser. >> but the video made the difference. >> as a result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder. >> now, michael slager is in prison at a time of heightened attention over similar shootings, the police made a point of releasing the footage of him being charged. there was an outcry from mr. scott's family after the shooting on saturday, when the
9:33 am
policeman claimed he acted within the guidelines. >> reporter: mr. scott's family welcomed the police officer's arrest. >> i don't want to see any get shot down the way that my brother got shot down. we've all seen the video. if there wasn't a video, would we know the truth? or would we have just gone with this report earlier. we do know the truth now. >> the fbi and the justice department are also investigating exactly what happened. this time, the authorities have moved swiftly in south carolina, but, still, the public reaction has been to ask, would they have acted if it hadn't been caught on video? "bbc news," los angeles. >> more on that on our website of course. the greek prime minister, alexis tsipras, is holding formal talks with president putin in moscow at a time his
9:34 am
country's future within eurozone is in doubt. his first action was to pay his respects at the tomb of the unknown soldier. his visit comes on the eve of a deadline for greece to pay the international monetary fund 450 million euros. mr. tsipras' first two months in power have been dominated by the installment of its 240 billion international bailout program. in the latest sign of worsening relations between athens and its creditor creditors, greece demanded almost 280$280 billion euros in world war ii's reparations from germany. mr. tsipras' visit to moscow appears to have widespread backing amongst residents in athens. >> translator: i think what he's doing is right. i think he should have all these alliances with russia and the united states and europe. i believe he's making a lot of effort and these efforts will
9:35 am
show if he succeeds in bringing results. >> shouldn't europe be obliged to help us? they should help us. they should give the government funds. since they are not giving us funds and created the current situation he is doing the right thing. >> translator: perhaps it's a way of pressuring greece's partners if there is no agreement on the bailouts. a few voices in athens today. i exspoke to our moscow correspondent a few moments ago and asked him whether russia was a viable source of funding for greece? >> if you look at the very big picture and take into account the huge amounts greece is in debt the answer is no moscow probably doesn't have the wherewithal to fix greece's economic problems even if it had the will. this is about something more limited. about alexis tsipras saying to his european partners who are
9:36 am
his creditors, look, there are other financial irons in the fire, maybe not a complete solution to greece problems but other people to talk to, other ways of doing business. of course, mr. tsipras interests the russians because he's known to be skeptical about the value of the eu's core policy towards russia of punishing the moscow government for actions in ukraine by imposing economic sanctions and calls them a "road to nowhere." russia begins to scent the possibility of a chink in the european union's armor of unanimity and keen to exploit it. although i don't think there will be a huge economic deal here, i think the two sides share an interest in showing europe they can do business together. >> i just returned from a weekend on one of the greek islands, orthodox easter coming up something that is shared, of course, in russia. how close really are the links or is greece really much more
9:37 am
european faceing? >> i always worry a bit we tend to overplay those cultural historical things. yes, they do have a shared faith of orthodox christianity. they do have, to some extent, shared moments of history, russia among other nations help the greeks to secure their independence in fact. that is true there is a cultural reservoir to draw on. but the plain fact of the matter is for modern greece membership of nado and the european union absolutely central to its modern political identity. it's not possible really for greece to reshuffle all of the cards in its political deck to make a really profound change there, especially not when you consider the vast amount of money that it owes. >> kevin connolly in moscow. one of two russians suspected of killing the man in
9:38 am
moscow has confirmed and giveing british inquiry testimony. >> upon the 16th of october upon arrives at the infamous restaurant litvinenko said he wouldn't eat because he had gotten violently ill before and thought he had been poisoned the night before and even called a doctor and ambulance. thousands of civilians remain trapped by fighting. a palestinian refugee camp in damascus syria. most stay behind leaving streets deserted and fire exchanged with palestinian gunmen trying to protect the camp. it's believed 80,000 syrian and palestinian refugees are trapped and the fighting largely pitted the fighters against the palestinian group.
9:39 am
the palestinians are said to have the free syrian army and there is also fighting in yarmouk and both claim that position is neutral. seemingly, the enemy to all, the syrian government. it is continueing its early bombardment on yarmouk, with rebel groups claiming these attacks have been the cause of most deaths. from bbc arabic this is very complex. what do we know about what's going on at the moment? >> first of all the syrian regime has no friends or allies inside this camp which is only 10 minutes bus ride from the center of damascus so it's very very close to the seat of power of president assad. before the insurgency in syria
9:40 am
the government was controlling this camp through factions affiliated with the plo in the palestinian territories. since the reprisals in syria, the jihadi group took over and this group is between the syrian army from the north and the so-called islamic state from the south, and they're running out of ammunition and maybe this will signal a further advance of the so-called islamic state to this camp. it's very close to the capital of damascus. >> thousands of people in this camp. >> they are the main victims of this whole conflict. they've been living in very bad conditions even before the war erupted in syria. as you said 18,000 people mostly hideing in very makeshift shelter shelters, trying to find a way out of the conflict.
9:41 am
it's very difficult now. they're trying to open a corridor humanitarian corridor to let them out of the camp. up till now, there is fighting rageing on and they're running out of ammunition and reinforce reinforcement reinforcements, asked for other factions to join them but they didn't want them to get in this camp because there are other factions within this camp. it's the so-called islamic state controlling 80% of this camp. the game is not over. if further reinforcements get inside the camp they might push them away. anybody the syrian regime don't want them to be strong because they're not having any allegiance to them. the situation is very complex and the syrian regime is trying to gain from any situation or any kind of development in the situation of this camp.
9:42 am
>> thanks to you. do stay with us on "bbc world news". much more to come. a 17$17 billion bill in the energy market and shell to buy the g group. even piano tuners were just as simple? thanks to angie's list now it is. we've made hiring anyone from a handyman to a dog-walker as simple as a few clicks. buy their services directly at angieslist.com. no more calling around. no more hassles. and you don't even have to be a member to start shopping today. angie's list is revolutionizing local service again. visit angieslist.com today. (playing harmonica) get your own liquid gold.
9:43 am
go on, git! there's gold in them thar shells. liquid gold.
9:44 am
yarmouk. this is "bbc world" nice. the latest headlines. an american white police officer has been charged with murder for shooting a black man running away. and the greek prime minister appears in moscow for talks of the greek bailout. the oil company, shell, says it will buy the gb group former formerly known as british gas, the first in a decade.
9:45 am
it will create a company of a combined value of 300$300 billion. the recent collapse in oil price prices played a major part. shell recently announced it would cut spending by 15$15 billion over the next three years and bg made a similar announcement slashing the value of oil and gas assets by 9$9 billion since the oil slump. and the likely thinking behind shell's move. >> this is about expiration and harder and harder to make money getting oil and gas out of the ground. and bg in particular going through ceos, scaleing down assets and big problems in brazil and linked with petro gas and had issues around inquiries. they're looking for partnerships
9:46 am
to say lou them to save money and do business cheaper and find that horrible word synergy and could mean job losses. it's really about getting into world markets, bg very big in egypt, australia and brazil the big new markets shell wants to get into. now, playing significant role in the ukraine conflict with both sides accuseing the other of manipulateing the media. with ukrainian channels off air, the population now relyies entire entirely on russian television. a series of reports looking at the success of the cease-fire deal from february following up on one russian tv report.
9:47 am
>> reporter: very keen to find outside what happened to that 10-year-old child, russian networks are widely reporting she has been killed in the shelling. >> reporter: we're going to go to that area and try to find the family.
9:48 am
>> reporter: [ speaking foreign language ] >> reporter: we are on a press trip organized by the rebel force. it's a good opportunity to ask the russians for details about
9:49 am
the death of a girl they all have been reporting. >> reporter: you get used to lies in this war but sometimes this cynicism like right now, it's just mind-boggling because people we talked to believe that a child has died. that's the sort of information that they get that fuels hatred that drives this war. >> three russian tv networks carried the girl's story. we asked what evidence they had. one said they were quoting official rebel spokespeople and
9:50 am
the others did not reply. pakistan's christians make up less than 2% of the country's predominantly muslim population. most converted to escape their low status and many live in poor neighborhood and blasphemy accusations and pakistan and afghanistan have claimed hundreds of lives. and recent attacks killed 15 people just last months. our correspondent is there to see how the christian community is copeing. >> reporter: praying for peace and for those who died in the suicide bombings. this is a community still in grief. at the sunday mass of christchurch the attack is still heavy on people's minds. it's especially difficult for 15-year-old, her father died when he struckopped the suicide
9:51 am
bomber from coming into the church. >> translator: it is really strange to be here without my dad. we were all here in the church at the time of the attack and proud of him because he saved so many lives but i also miss him a lot. >> reporter: the violence that broke out after the bombings have shown a community which was angry and on edge. two men were burned to death by a mob who suspected they were connected to the attacks. dozens were arrested in this aftermath of the riots. this reverend the christ chump vick vicar insists the community condemns these killings but also spoke of the frustration among christians. >> translator: we deal with discrimination on a dayily basis. christians can't get decent jobs because of their religion. hate is spread against us. when people fear such relentless inequality and abuse they finally let their emotions boil ss
9:52 am
go. that's why the mob mentality that day. >> reporter: we contacted the pakistanian government for a response and granted an interview however officials repeatedly failed to show up despite our calls and declined to give us a written statement. members of pakistan's christian community have long complained they're targeted by extremists and abandon bide their own government not just in big attacks in the latest one, also feel quite vulnerable to blasphemy accusations, which is a capital crime here because of this many christians will tell you fear has become a part of their daily lives. for this 21-year-old and her sister, these realities are constantly on their minds. >> my father advised me don't talk to your friend about their religion and don't discuss religion while you are sitting in the school. >> reporter: what about your future? do you see a future for yourselves in pakistan?
9:53 am
>> i don't see any future for myself as a pakistan woman, but i do love my country and i want to be a part of its prosperity but i don't think that it might be possible. >> reporter: this attack is not the first of its kind and many fear it won't be the last yet another tragic reminder how vulnerable christian families are here in pakistan. "bbc news." now, helen mirren will celebrate her 70th birthday in july which is an age many people have retired. the actress has gone from strength to strength and discussing her latest film "women in gold gots. >> the paintings on the walls, this is part of her family we will fight that we believe is ours. >> this is about her family's struggle to get her family's
9:54 am
famous pictures that belong to her family. >> the problem was that they had become iconic pictures. for vienna. although when they were originally painted they were thought of as being decadent art and in fact the nazi regime really downtown approve. so they were put aside. but as time went on, of course, he was recognized to be the great artist that he is. >> they destroyed my family. they killed my friend and they forced me to abandon the people and the places that i lost. i won't let them humiliate me again. >> 100,000 people have now been reunited with their paintings that were stolen during the nazi era. how much of an outrage is stolen art? >> it's not just stolen art. the art becomes a symbol of a stolen life and stolen memories. >> the film shows a flashback of
9:55 am
the nazis sweeping into austria in the late 1930s and the growing plight of anti-semi-timesanti-semi-tism. i wonder what you think of the woman in europe? >> that story is always relevant. there's never a year it's not relevant because it's always happening to one community or another in the world. unfortunately, it's the nature of human behavior to demonize the other, because actually, it's all to do with finance and economics, really. i think that's why it's always important to remind ourselves what the reality of that is. >> people see a masterpiece by one of austria's finest artists. but i see a picture of my aunt, a woman who used to talk to me about life. >> i love the fact that this film is about maria, a wonderful
9:56 am
female lead to play. do you still feel there's not enough female lead stories to play out there? >> i've always said make sure there are great roles for women to play in life. as night follows day, that will become reflected in drama. that's what we have to argue about and fight for, that's what i believe, anyway. >> do you like the fact that a lot of women think that you're very sexy? >> i don't think sexy is such an important thing, honestly. you know, what does it mean? attractive, i can understand. there are people -- maybe that's the word i'm looking for, attractive, in the sense of personality, there's a charm, there's a you know, you know, you meet people, you say, i like them, they're nice. free us from all of that, for god's sake. liberate us from that. liberate us from sexy and from beautiful.
9:57 am
>> what do you think about that? let me know. i'm on twitter. helen mirren giveing us an interview. we are back during the day as "bbc news" continues and i'll see you soon. thanks for watching.
9:58 am
♪ ♪ ♪ break the ice, with breath freshening cooling crystals. ice breakers. success starts with the right connections. introducing miracle-gro liquafeed universal feeder. turn any hose connection into a clever feeding system for a well-fed garden. miracle-gro.
9:59 am
life starts here. so here's the story of lancaster. the year is 1890. milton hershey has a killer recipe for caramel. flash forward - milton's recipe is reimagined into buttery rich, smooth, surprisingly soft crèmes. it's lancaster. it's caramel reimagined.
10:00 am
hello, you're watching gmt on "bbc news." i'm david eades. a white police officer shoots a black man in south carolina and this time the police officer is charged with murder. the video was shot by a passerby and the police officer is in jail and at fist said he felt threaten threatened. >> we all saw the video and know the truth.

57 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on