Skip to main content

tv   Mad Money  CNBC  January 26, 2017 6:00pm-7:01pm EST

6:00 pm
their son who completed a half marathon this past sunday. >> there they are. where are they? >> they're some where. >> at&t, at&t. that's my final trade. go. >> spit it out. see you back my mission is simple, to make you money. i'm here to level the playing field for all investors. there's always a bull market somewhere, and i promise to help you find it. "mad money" starts now. hey, i'm cramer. welcome to "mad money." welcome to cramerica. other people want to make friends. i'm just trying to make you some money. my job is not just to entertain you but also to educate and teach you. so call me at 1-800-743-cnbc or tweet me @jimcramer. when warren buffett talks about how you should invest in america for the long term, what he's really saying is that betting
6:01 pm
against american companies is a sucker's game because of our innate progress and natural expansion even as the market's day to day gyrations won't always be positive like today's mixed session where the dow gained 32 points. s&p declined 0.07%, and nasdaq just dipped into the red at 0.02% although it could be heavier tomorrow because disappointing numbers from starbucks and alphabet that may not be offset by what looks to be a strong microsoft performance. for almost his entire investing life, buffett has made the point that you can generate great wealth by owning the best of the best, not flipping them, not flitting in and out, but getting on and staying long. i think he's got an edge on all of us. in addition to having the finest mind for investments of his generation, he's got a team of people who can stay up on his stocks. i always say if you can't stay up on your homework, if you can't research and examine and spend time knowing what you own, if you couldn't give me three bullet points on why you bought a stock, then you do need to
6:02 pm
invest in a different fashion. in that case, you should own just an index fund like a simple low-cost fund that mirrors the s&p 500, mirrors the s&p 500, well, which one? there are tons of them. but that's what you should be doing if you can't tell me what the stock is. but what if you do like individual stocks? what if you just want to pick some? what if you think you can pick them good? you got that diversified index fund already and then you can buy some stocks. is it possible to pick winners? the purist, the ideal logs who come on our area constantly who insist that beating the market is all just chance, would say you're taking your financial life into your hands if you buy a stock. i never say that about stocks. you can put your retirement money in an index fund. i think that's fabulous. you can put some of your discreasary monday, your mad money in some stocks, i think they can coexist. i say that because i think this dow 20,000 occasion can be a
6:03 pm
teachable moment for us. a teachable moment about how to spot long term winners like buffett would. it's also an excellent reminder that some companies can triumph over any environment simply because they're run so well. so let's do this. let's go back in time to the last time the dow stood at 10,000. that was 2009 and see who the five biggest winners in the dow since then and asked ourselves could we have spotted them, or would the purists and ideal logs say you never would have found these, they're needles in a haystack. let's see if they have potential to do well going forward because this is mad historical money. it's "mad money." first the bigger win since dow 10,000 is united health which has rallied 548%. as someone who has run a company that has had to deal with unh to insure my employees, this is one fabulous business. there aren't that many competitors. at one time i was trying to pit united health against oxford price to get a better price for health care for a couple hundred employees. during the negotiations, united
6:04 pm
health bought oxford. take a guess where my bill went after that. united health had the vision to recognize that it needed to become more than just a health maintenance organization, though. it has this business optum, which is part pharmacy benefit manager, part health care business, processor, outsourcer. it's got unbelievable data. meanwhile united health had the smarts to pull out of obamacare when the company realized it couldn't make money participating in the exchanges. that move, i think, has made it the only health care company worth owning right now. that's right. i don't like the health care companies. you know that. only that because it's not trapped in a system that is going away. it's the only health care stock that i consider to be -- >> trump stock, trump stock, trump stock. >> therefore, i think it can go higher. next up is home depot. it's up 402% since dow 10 k in 2009. this statistic is really nothing short of amazing because home depot put up these great numbers during the worst housing recession not in the last few years, not in the last few decades, but ever. this is a period where you could
6:05 pm
easily argue that home depot should have gone out of business. but boy would that have been wrong. home depot used the downturn to solidify as the number one do it yourself retail chain. the company had a remarkable ceo who energized the place, use the technology to make the store better for you, the customer. he stocked their location with friendly, helpful workers. and for us power gardenseergard. it didn't hurt, but i just think frank ran better stores with the help of the best cfo in the company and frank's successor, the current ceo, who is doing a remarkable job. one of the reasons why i still like the stock. how about apple? it's rallied 346% in the same period. when you have the best product, the most sought after product, you're going to do well. that's the iphone. born a less less than ten years ago. i meet so many people who tell me i'm as washed up as apple for supporting this company and its
6:06 pm
stock. they usually tweet me or text me that i'm washed up on an iphone. hmm, okay. all i can think of is when the stock was last at $93 and i read so much articles about how apple's best days are behind it and i was getting all these nasty e-mails from people saying, jim, jump ship, jump ship, well, i didn't. you know what i did? i invited tim cook to come here. he came over here. we sat down. we talked. the stock was at $93. he disagreed that the worst times were ahead. he laid out a multiyear strategy. apple is nearly up to $122. the defense rests. sure this coming quarter may not be that special but the company has approximately $40 per share overseas cash, and if that can be repatriates, part of the trump tripod, that's going to be huge for shareholders. so go ahead and sell it. i've never stopped anybody from selling it. regina, my executive producer, have i ever stopped anyone from selling apple? >> not once.
6:07 pm
>> i needed someone to verify because people just say -- when i bought my kid two ipods because one was pink and one was blue. how about this visa? some companies ride a secular wave for as long as possible. all around the globe, there are people who still use checks. visa is a vicious competitor for your business. there are years of growth ahead but i have to point out that sharly scharf just retired and that makes me less certain about visa's future versus say mastercard, with its phenomenal ceo. personally, make the switch. finally there's walt disney, which to me aside from apple is one of the most obvious stocks to buy in the world. anyone with kids knows disney is the common ground that all infants share. it produces hit after hit like clock work. the stock has been down of late. we did a big profile last night. a function of declining espn
6:08 pm
subscribers. but the ceo's multiple levers in order to keep generating the 240% gain that disney gave you from dow 10,000 to 20,000. so are these gettable? let's, see. well, it's likely united health is your insurer. that's an odds on favorite. you might shop at home depot regularly. i'm there probably 10 times duri during gardening season alone. i have a visa card in my wallet. you probably do too. i took my kids to disney world four straight years when they were little. apple speaks for itself. let me add on another layer. while these stocks have been integral to the rally since trump was elected, i don't think of them has really gotten ahead of itself because the fundamentals are terrific for these companies. most will benefit from lower corporate taxes and repatriations of foreign assets. they're perfect example of why i say the rally is not a sugar high but reasonable.
6:09 pm
here's the bottom line. the biggest five winners since the dow powered from 10,000 to 20,000 i think were totally gettable and in some cases down right obvious. they aren't here on sugar. they're here because management has been terrific, innovation extraordinary, and their attention to the customer, superb. those are difficult traits to erase even if donald trump fails to get much done as the 45th president of the united states of america. john in california, john. >> caller: booyah, jim, from sacramento valley out here. we love you out here. >> you know a love sacramento. i go the to get back there when i go back in february. what's up? >> caller: a while ago i had sem ex. i've been hanging on to it with a lot of interesting stuff. they're paying down debt, acquiring companies in the caribbean, and i played it for the wall build. a lot of cement comes out of texas. i was wondering what's the play now with this mexican situation? are we going to have a problem with cemex with housing tracts and freeways are going crazy out
6:10 pm
in california? >> that's true, but that's why we like u.s. concrete and that's why we like martin marietta materials. we look at the balance sheets. we don't want the sizzle. we want the steak. u.s. concrete, martin marietta materials. tammy in utah, tammy. >> caller: hi, jim. thank you so much for taking my call. >> of course. how are you? >> caller: i'm not hearing anything, so i guess i'll just go on. >> sure. >> caller: my question is on previous shows you've advocated oil drilling and natural gas stocks. with regard to competition from sl schlumberger and possibly ge, was your recommendation for last week the hydraulic fracking company king group? >> i looked at it. schlumberger went down a couple bucks after they reported. schlumberger is just the best of breed. if i see you on the street, tammy, two years from now, i don't know where keen group will be. i know schlumberger will in be the catbird seat. that's why i'm recommending it. my charitable trust owns it.
6:11 pm
will in florida, will. >> caller: hey, jim. thank you for taking my call. >> of course. >> caller: the company is called nutanix, kicker ntnx. as the number one pure play in the hyper converged infrastructure market with a 52% share, numerous aligns with microsoft, intel, and the recent m&a in the space, do you see them being on someone's radar in the immediate future? >> yes, i do. as a matter of fact, because you know what hpe did with the simplivity. so yes, i think nutanix could be acquired. i think it makes sense. otherwise, i think it's doing fine but i have to tell you it's not an inexpensive stock. but we're covering a lot of non-inexpensive stocks tonight. i deem it ready for speculation. all right. the top five performers since dow 10 k are winners because they're just plain terrific companies with great management. i'm saying they are gettable right in the face of people who say, you must be in an index furnd no matter what.
6:12 pm
on "mad money" tonight, it's the fastest growing technology company on either. i'll reveal it when i sit down with the ceo just ahead. then, sure, the dow hit 20,000. time to pop the champagne. i'm not a champagne popper. and the lions get all the hype. but could a lamb get all the wall street talk snk just a second. that's a rim shot. don't miss my interview with the ceo of chip maker lam research which was down a little today. stick with cramer. >> announcer: don't miss a second of "mad money." follow @jimcramer on twitter. have a question? tweet cramer, #madtweets. send jim an e-mail to madmoney@cnbc.com or give us a call at 1-800-743-cnbc. miss something? head to madmoney.cnbc.com.
6:13 pm
introducing conduent. one of the largest business process companies in the world. whether it's in health care, customer care, technology, transportation or government. we touch millions of lives every day. conduent. advancing the everyday. will your business be ready when growth presents itself? american express open cards can help you take on a new job, or fill a big order or expand your office and take on whatever comes next. find out how american express cards and services can help prepare you for growth at open.com.
6:14 pm
find out how american ewe're drowning in information. where, in all of this, is the stuff that matters? the stakes are so high, your finances, your future. how do you solve this? you don't. you partner with a firm that advises governments and the fortune 500, and, can deliver insight person to person, on what matters to you. morgan stanley.
6:15 pm
did you know slow internet can actually hold your business back? say goodbye to slow downloads, slow backups, slow everything. comcast business offers blazing fast and reliable internet that's over 6 times faster than slow internet from the phone company. say hello to internet speeds up to 250 mbps. and add phone and tv for only $34.90 more a month. call today. comcast business. built for business. in the immediate after math of the election, some people thought the high growth tech stocks would sit out the trump rally because too many money managers would be pouring their cash into more cyclical companies, the ones that tend to boom with the economy
6:16 pm
accelerates. now it seems the tech is on fire. take service now, the cloud-based company that helps corporate information technology departments build their own internal applications while also letting its clients automate functions like human resources, legal, finance, security, and facilities management. a few years ago this was a small company. but now it's the leader. it's the leading player in the intenterprise i.t. service management business. after stalling a bit last year, stock has been on fire in 2017 and the fire keeps on burning. last night the company reported a terrific quarter. they delivered a one cent earnings beat with higher than expected revenues, including a monster 52% increase in subscription billings. even better, service now gave strong guidance for both the next quarter and 2017 as a whole. that's why the stock shot up more than 3.6% today to a new all time high. how does this thing keep running. let's take a closer look with the president and ceo of service
6:17 pm
now to learn more about the quarter. mr. slootman, welcome back to "mad money." >> good to be on with you, jim. >> i talk to a lot of guys in tech today and they all were saying one thing. which is could you ask him how he was able to do 52% growth because nobody has that growth. one of the guys just said, ask him what the secret sauce is. >> well, you know, we lean in pretty hard. what you're really seeing is a really successful platform strategy in action. we've been working on this for many, many years, and when all the pieces are falling into place, we're hitting on all cylind cylinders, then you get an incredible tailwind. q4 was a special quarter for us. everything went right, and you are seeing the results of that. >> now, there's some great stuff in the conference call. you do this customer service management. most people i know are fed up with customer service. it's automated.
6:18 pm
we don't know what we're going to get. we know that onces it goes into the queue, you're never going to hear from it again. you have a phrase where you talk about customer service isn't isolated. it's a team sport. and your software makes that happen. tell all the people who are frustrated that they should be using clients -- they should be having servicenow where they call because your place is different. when they bring you in, it's different, isn't it? >> yeah, it is different. we have a service model that is holistic in the sense that it brings customer service, the engineering ranks, the operational people all into a single work flow. most customer service products, what they do is engage with the customer and deal with the symptoms of a problem, but they don't go back into the engineering ranks and figure out why they people had to come in here in the first place and make the changes to prevent these things from happening again. that is the core service model different that we provide. and of course the i.t. audiences
6:19 pm
that we traditionally serve really understand and appreciate this, and they want to advocate that into their customer service departments. >> i thought it was interesting also that you have security guys. they figure out the threat. they're able to stop the threat. they know where the threat's coming, but they don't talk to anybody in an organized way? >> yes. huge amounts of money on average customers, like 75 different security tools, and they're all sitting at the front end doing detection and vulnerability scanning and enforcement, but when it comes to response, it's just guys and gals sitting behind spreadsheets running around, texting, e-mail. there is no structured work flow to work through a threat resolution. that is what we do. it's unbelievable that nobody has really stepped into that opportunity up to this point. >> yeah, i found that amazing. i wanted to ask all the companies, what are you doing? this is ridiculous. now, you've done some work for campbell's soup.
6:20 pm
that's a company everybody knows. is it customer service, is it security, that kind of thing? >> yeah, it's very typical in the sense that we started out with campbell's soup on the i.t. front, and they have gradually moved into all their other service domains. so human resources, you know, facilities, finance, and so on. so they really have caught on to the overall platform play and said, look, this is how we manage work inside our enterprise instead of relying on people running around e-mail, text, and so on. >> on that last ibm call, and i liked the call very much. i'm close to those guys. they did a lot of good things. but i think some of their strength this quarter must have been because they're teaming up with you. what do you do with ibm for a customer? >> well, you may have heard me say in the past that ibm was sort of slow to come along relative to so many other major integrators like we have like accenture, who has been big with us for a long time.
6:21 pm
this quarter, ibm has really stepped up big, and we're really thrilled to have that partnership with them. they are the largest global systems integrator in the industry, and we need to have that relationship with them. so we provide the software. they provide the implementation services. >> last question. you talk about 10,000 customer instances where you leveraged machine intelligence, and you talk a lot about this dx cannot um, data scientists building predictive models. this is new for you, or are you now going all in? >> no. it's not entirely new. obviously we've been doing flavors of that sort of thing for some time. we're stepping it up. we made the acquisition, and we now have a hold team of data science experts, and the real big change, jim, that is happening in our business, it used to be that systems were there in support of people. that is now inverting. you know, people are going to be there in support of systems. systems are going to be doing the work, and people are really
6:22 pm
hanging back. so that is a complete change, and that means that systems have to become much smarter. they have to be able to make decisions on their own. in order to be able to do that, they have to be able to understand patterns. for example, in our business, we have to be able to do auto routing and assignment. those are things people used to do. systems are going to be doing it going forward. those are direct one-to-one savings for our customers. they can really thin out their service desk in terms of staffing. >> i got to tell you it's working. this was a magnificent quarter, the fastest growth of any of the tech companies i follow. that's frank slootman, chairman, president, and ceo of servicenow. thank you for coming on the show. >> thanks, jim. >> if you want an admittedly higher risk but incredible growth engine, it is servicenow. this was an amazing quarter. "mad money" is back after the break. >> announcer: coming up, lam research helps build the chips that power your phone, computer, and the rest of the expanding digital world. fresh off earnings, what will a
6:23 pm
certain someone's trade proposals mean for their business? jim asks the ceo. >> it's a really exciting time and it's a long-term story. >> announcer: when "mad money" returns.
6:24 pm
6:25 pm
radioactive. don't touch it. only bad things will happen. that's what went through my mind when someone placed a dow 20,000 cap on my desk at post 9 at the new york stock exchange where we do "squawk on the street" in the morning. the youtube video had already played out in my mind. jim cramer dons a dow 20,000 hat and promptly market rolls over. or, worse, #moron. cramer slaps on dow 20,000 hat before big plunge. it could run endlessly. it's just not worth the risk of touching the hat knowing you might have to eat it.
6:26 pm
don't celebrate a milestone, i say to myself. it might be the last one for a while. ever since the first dow 10,000 back in march of 1999 and nasdaq 5,000 the following year, i've been wary of promoting any actual impact of a round number breach. no clapping. no fist pumping. no hands in the air. down side risk way too big. upside, nil. people have been so burned by both indices and stocks in general that every milestone takeout seems fraught with the potential for instant replays showing you at your worst if the breakout becomes the top. now, i've got to tell you i think things are way to asymmetrical in this business. if the averages keep going up, big deal, all right? but if they go down, you got to eat the hat. so i go about noting it in other ways, assessing which stocks led the charge, the way we focus on dow components like a visa or home depot. you have to do it clinically because at any given time if the stocks get overheated, you do need to cut and run.
6:27 pm
even then it's dangerous. do you know in year 2000 when the most aggressive stocks in the nasdaq took off and pushed that index from 4,000 to 5,000 at lightning speed, the stocks i liked as they went up, they went up too fast so i pulled the plug within a few days of the top. i irgeed people to go into bonds. it was my finest call. but if you went through the, let's say, metaphorical tape so to speak, it only shows me recommending stocks that then had 20% rise in no time and those who heard me champion these names often didn't get my cell call even as i tried to make it as loud as i could. so the onus is on keeping that dow 20,000 hat as far away as possible. that doesn't mean keeping all stocks as far away as possible. at dow 20,000, you look for anoma anomalies, stocks that aren't too late to get in on, the ones that aren't up as much as they should be. you recommend them even as you tell people to avoid what could
6:28 pm
hurt them, nicin this case, the retailers and the drug stocks. most important, though, you can't abdicate. you can't offer nothing. yet that's exactly what i hear most commentators do and i read so many that do that. when i listen to the people who have come on television since trump was elected, i hear a wave of incredulous negativity, the sugar high. it's all got to end badly, folks. such an easy call to make. they're part and parcel of the problem of the average stockholder fleeing the market. gone are the days when people could say come on in, here's some undervalued stocks and here's why you can do well regardless of washington or hoopla surrounding dow 20,000. my point? don't celebrate, but don't abdicate. roll up your sleeves. find undervalued stocks of high quality companies and stay on top of them. that's helpful. anything that's tepid or wishy
6:29 pm
washy or plain old cautious has been wrong for 19,000 dow points in my career. my philosophy? be constructive and add value despite the hat. don't cheerlead, but don't sow fear, and don't dismiss. it's just as important to keep people out as it is to put people in except the first in light of the records being set here, has been dead wrong. and the second has been dead right. let's go to reuben in indiana, reuben. >> caller: hi, jim. first time caller. >> what's going on? >> caller: i have a question. ebay. based on yesterday's earnings call, do you feel that the leadership of the company is taking -- >> yeah, i feel great about it. i tweeted that it's become so much easier to use, the catalog style, a lot of stuff like machine learning. the ebay people tweeted me back saying we're here to help. i think this is a new ebay. it is very methodical. it's really good. it deserved to be up this much. well done, ebay.
6:30 pm
joe in utah, joe. >> caller: yes, thank you, mr. cramer, for taking my call. >> of course. >> caller: i'm a first-time caller and i want to thank you for all that you do. you have a terrific staff there. >> yes, we do. we have a great staff. and we like each other. i mean i think, right? >> caller: that's great. >> i like you. i don't know your name, but i've been working with you for a while. i love you. just kidding. >> caller: my name is joe. >> no, no. i was just pointing to someone -- >> caller: oh, oh. >> it's a very horizontal team. i know everybody here. >> caller: my question is on the at&t/time warner merger and when you think that will take place and what do you think stock might do after that? >> i'm not an ash tragedier, and i think our president is difficult to game on this particular issue. so i would just, you know, ka-ching, ka-ching. i thought at&t had a good quarter by the way, but it's t-mobile and sprint that are getting all the attention. i wish those would kind of heat up and then come down a little so i could tell you to --
6:31 pm
but at&t is fine. verizon, trouble. sure we hit a milestone but i don't want you to get comfortable. roll up your sleeves. find some winners. i'll help you find them. much more "mad money" ahead including my exclusive with lam research. the company has put up an extraordinary initianumber. >> and the epo may be facing new challenges in the trump era. but what does it mean for a company that uses a lot of coal? and all your calls rapid fire in tonight's edition of the lightning round. so stick with cramer.
6:32 pm
6:33 pm
[phone buzzing] some things are simply impossible to ignore. the strikingly designed lexus nx turbo and hybrid. the suv that dares to go beyond utility. this is the pursuit of perfection. and they're absolutely right. they say that it's hot... when really, it's scorching. and while some may say the desert is desolate... we prefer secluded.
6:34 pm
what is the desert? it's absolutely what you need right now. absolutely scottsdale. okay. what the heck happened today to lam research's stock. here's a high quality semiconductor equipment maker, a business that has been red hot with a stock ha that's been
6:35 pm
working its way higher for months now. even though they reported a better than expected quarter last night, even though much stronger than expected guidance for the next quarter, the darn stock went down today. it fell $2.59, all which makes you wonder what the heck is going on here? has the market lost its mind, or was there something buried in the conference call that canceled out the positive numbers and made it so investors wants to sell? first understand the quarter was excellent. lam delivers a five cents earning beat, higher than expected revenue. guidance for next quarter was even better. after the quarter, seven different firms raised their price targets. so why did investors spurn the stock? i think some of it might be because the company admitted that shipments in the second half of the 2017 fiscal year could be weaker than the first half. some of it could be because the company is spending more than ever although given they have so much money in the bank, i don't see much to complain about. i think the most important factor that lam had run going into the quarter.
6:36 pm
even after today's pullback, i bet many people are looking for any excuse to ring the register. that might be your opportunity. don't take it from me. let's check in with martin anstice, the president and ceo of lam research. mr. anstice, welcome back to "mad money." >> thank you, jim. appreciate it. >> martin, when i look at the demand for a flash, when i look at the demand for d-rams, i think it's unprecedented. i almost think it's a different age and time where these devices are no longer used the way we thought. they're used in an early age for big data and that therefore the cycle is much longer, and we should not be thinking when do i get off of lam because there's so many different devices out there that lam could have business for multiple years, not multiple quarters. am i looking at it too rosy? >> i think it's difficult today to have a conversation about a cycle because i think to a point you make regularly, you know, this is a world of diversity in terms of ends, demands, and it's a world of secular trends. i very much believe in the
6:37 pm
long-term opportunity for lam research. you mentioned in the introduction there, you know, a great quarter, a great year. and for me that's a moment in time. what's much more important is the opportunity for the company. we sit as an enabler in many respects as an industry and as a company for the road map of virtual reality, 4k gaming, automotive automation and connected homes and many of the agendas that are relevant and exciting in the years ahead. >> if if were just pcs and just pure data storage, then i have to tell you i would be worried even though i don't see that many machines, that many foundries built. but what i talk about with western digital and micron, with a lot of companies behind the scenes that do disk drives and do flash, this is a brave new world. these devices even just for surveillance, which we never thought of, autonomous cars, if you decide you want to throw out lam research, what you don't
6:38 pm
realize is the machines they are going to be making are for devices you've never seen before, not devices that you currently have. >> yeah, i mean it's a very accurate statement to say that this is no longer the world of a single device or single demand driver. i think people miss the fact there is so much diversity in today's tech economy. the reality is that the pc today consumes no more than 20% of bits produced in the world in memory and accounts for probably less than 10% of the foundry and logic ca psity of the world. so this is a very diverse set of demand drivers. to your point, the silicon device, which is the device that as an industry and as a company we make possible from a technology delivery point of view, is everything about the future of that road map. so it's a really exciting time and it's a long-term story. >> now, cash piling up. interesting situation because we know that the deal didn't go through. i think there were some people on the call who feel like because that didn't go through, there's no next leg. but you said you were very
6:39 pm
comfortable with the way the company is set up and does not need to do a deal. >> yeah, i mean very very clearly i think in response to one of the questions on the call, i said, you know, we're not feeling encumbered by a responsibility to reinvent the company. the company has a tremendous opportunity and it has a track record in terms of technology leadership but also in terms of operations, execution, and financial performance. and with continued attention to those fundamentals, we see a multiple year outperformance opportunity for the company in our industry, and we're super excited about that. relative to cash, a lot of cash accumulation -- i mean it's not just a growth story. it's a quality of earnings story. our priority is invest in the future of our company, and as you recollect from the last conversation perhaps, you know, we increased our dividends materially, and we announced a billion dollar capital repurchase plan. those are elements of delivering value to our shareholders. >> you know, martin, before this presidential election, i looked at where your customers are and
6:40 pm
i said that is a great diverse base of countries. you own asia. now i look at our president, what they did to mexico today, and i wonder, well, do you have to like worry in the middle of the night that the president does say, those south koreans, i can't deal with them anymore, the chinese, the hell with them. are we in one of those phases where you have to worry about your book of business because of a tweet? >> no. i think -- i mean administration independence, you know, i think our interests from a public policy point of view is always oriented around transparency. it is helpful to be able to plan our future and our companies. we have an interest as an industry and as a company and stem education and flexibility for strategic investments and innovation and repatriation dialogues and rd tax credit die locks. so the types of things that are interesting and impactful to our industry and our company. that's where our primary focus is on the things we can control to execute as well as we can in
6:41 pm
the environment we're presented with. >> i think your stock just sold off because of pure profit taking like some of the others did, like western digital, because it was a magnificent quarter. i want to thank you, martin anstice. good to see you, sir. >> thank you, jim. >> this is one of the hottest stocks out there. when you get the kind of rally we've been having, you get a bit of a selloff. it's an opportunity. "mad money" is back after the break.
6:42 pm
and the wolf huffed and puffed... like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd,
6:43 pm
including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (child giggles) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. get symbicort free for up to one year. visit saveonsymbicort.com today to learn more.
6:44 pm
>> announcer: lightning round is sponsored by td ameritrade. it is time! it is time for the lightning round on cramer's "mad money." that's where i take your calls rapid fire. you tell me the name of the stock. i tell you to buy, buy, buy or sell, sell, sell. we'll play this sound -- [ buzzer ] -- and then the lightning round is over. are you ready, skee-daddy? it's time for the lightning round on cramer's "mad money." let's start with marcia in texas, marcia. >> caller: well, hi, jim. how are you? >> i am good, marcia. how are you doing? >> caller: just fine. okay. would you recommend the bt stock over -- >> no, no. tomorrow morning chevron reports. if you want one of those big majors, i'm going to say you probably want to go with chevron. let's see how they do after the call. howard in north carolina, howard. >> caller: yes, first time caller, long time follower. my father got me started with
6:45 pm
lewis ruk hiezer. >> he got me started too. that's a great way to start. >> caller: i wanted to thank you and your staff for everything you do for the individual investor first of all. >> thank you. >> caller: but then i also want to try to find out. i've owned shares in a company that has tripled over the last year. i wanted you to provide some insight on coherent. >> no. the semiconductor and laser businesses are so strong, you could have mentioned tara dine, i company i didn't like that had an unbelievable quarter. you're in a good one. you're in a good sweet spot of the semiconductor cycle. bob in ohio, bob. >> caller: how are you doing, jim? >> i'm good, bob. how about you? >> caller: good. the stock i'm looking at is ilg. >> don't know ilg. i'm going to have to do some studying. that is -- i got to punt. i'll do more work. let's go to tom in maryland, tom.
6:46 pm
>> caller: hi, jim. booyah. >> booyah. >> caller: i'd like to ask your opinion about american wholesale drug company calls amerisourcebergen. >> not a trump stock, not a trump stock. >> could be right in the kos hairs. i think the president think they don't do a good job lowering the price of health care. i do not want to touch that stock. let's go to steve in kentucky, steve. stevearino? steve? >> caller: hello? yeah. >> you're up, steve. >> caller: jim, booyah. >> booyah. >> caller: it's a pleasure to speak with you. >> thank you. >> caller: my question is about man atow wits, mtw. my question is with all the talk of an infrastructure rebuild, is it wide to hold? >> yes! i want you to hold it. it's only now just playing out. been looking bads for a while but that's a good one. robert in my home state of new jersey, robert. >> caller: hi, jim. thanks for taking my call. >> of course, robert.
6:47 pm
>> caller: a few months ago you were enthusiastic about a company called impin j. are you still? >> again, that sweet spot. i was talking with regina, this whole notion of where we got to know is a lot of these companies in radio frequency and what companies do push sound and make it so that you're able to look at cell phone and have the greatest picture in the world. it's all part of that. and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the conclusion of the lightning round! [ buzzer ] >> announcer: the lightning round is sponsored by td ameritrade. my first options tr. we only do it for everyone gary. well, i feel pretty smart. well, we're all about educating people on options strategies. well, don't worry, i won't let this accomplishment go to my head. i'm still the same old gary. wait, you forgot your french dictionary. oh, mucho gracias. get help on options trading with thinkorswim, only at td ameritrade. (bell chimes)
6:48 pm
♪ nice work brother dominic. now we just need 500 more... translated into 35 languages, personalized oh and shared across the 7 continents. (other languages spoken) look abbot, i got it. it's a miracle. ♪ and they're absolutely right. they say that it's hot... when really, it's scorching. and while some may say the desert is desolate... we prefer secluded. what is the desert? it's absolutely what you need right now. absolutely scottsdale.
6:49 pm
6:50 pm
utility stocks have really fallen out of favor lately in part because these are high yield bond alternative stocks that become more attractive when interest rates are poised to go higher, and the cyclicals can put up truly terrific growth year-over-year. that doesn't mean you should just wipe your hands of the group. consider american electric power, a company that owns the largest power transmission network in the country along with a portfolio serving more than 5 million customers. this stock got slammed in the wake of the election, and while it's recovered since then, i think it's not getting enough credit for being a potential trump stock. that's because it burns tons and tons of coal, and we know the trump administration plans to ease up on environmental regulations. that's one reason we cannot to own the stock for my charitable trust. you can follow along at
6:51 pm
actionalertsplus.com. plus they just reported this morning, delivering better than expected earnings, slighter weaker than expected revenues, but the guidance for 2017 was pretty strong. t can this name thrive in an environment where the utilities have gone out of style on the wall street fashion show? are we underestimating how much they can benefit from the presidents agenda. let's take a look with the ceo. >> thanks, jim, great to be with you. >> nick, right near the tom of your conference call, you say this has been a year of repositioning the company to provide a firm foundation for financial stability, earnings, and dividend growth as well as a refocus on our customer. does this mean we should expect this credible dividend producing machine to be even able to generate even higher dividends? >> i really believe that's the case because we're obviously restating earnings. we really talked about a growth rate. we've transitioned the company
6:52 pm
to a 4% to 6% growth to a 5% to 7% growth rate, and we've always said, you know, with our board's support that we move the dividends commensurate with our earnings growth. so a higher earnings growth yield and certainly we're off to the races. >> that's terrific. also given the areas you're in, are you seeing recovery in the last four months, a little bit better tone? >> over the year it's been really flat, but the last quarter, in the fourth quarter, we started to see improvement from an oil and gas perspective in our territory, from an automobile manufacturing standpoint, and a construction and health care perspective. so we're seeing growth in our territory. this is the first quarter and over the last year that we've seen growth in all the sectors. >> that's impressive. now, in 2011, you released a plan to comply with some e.p.a. regulations. frankly the regulations took my breath away. all environmentists, but this
6:53 pm
was a very aggressive plan by the epa and really would cost your rate base a lot. i'm going to play a today of something we heard from president trump in philadelphia that made me think that maybe the 2011 plan may go to the wayside. let's hear this tape. >> at the same time we will unleash the full power of american energy ending the job-killing restrictions on shale, oil, natural gas, and clean, beautiful coal. and we're going to put our coal miners back to work. >> now, nick, you have plants in coal miner districts. >> right. >> you use coal. when i heard what the president said, and i know that he's got attorney general up for the epa job. i have to believe whatever plan you had been faced with is going to go away. do you think i'm being too optimistic? >> that may be a little bit optimistic. i think really when you look at what's going on, there's a transformation occurring in our industry, and it's moving toward a cleaner energy environment.
6:54 pm
so when president trump talks about clean coal, there really needs to be a focus on the ability to remove carbon as much as possible from the coal itself. and also with natural gas becoming prevalent as well, that balanced energy portfolio should be a true benefit not only in mitigation of cost to our consumers but also reinforce the ability of coal to be maintained as part of the portfolio. that's the key point because i think most coal units today are fully controls from a sulfur dioxide and mercury standpoint. so obviously the more emphasis placed on removing carbon from coal as well, it certainly will be one of those resources of the future that will be maintained. so i think overall, it's positive for that set of fossil resources to remain a part of the portfolio of the u.s. >> at the same time i got to ask you as we've talked many, many times and to your predecessor,
6:55 pm
we can't lose sight of the fact that coal is not beautiful. i mean coal has a lot of attributes that we really don't want to burn versus what we thought we did when jimmy carter said that we are the saudi arabia of coal. i mean as a person who i know cares about the environment and who runs a major utility, coal is not beautiful to you, is it? >> well, it's actually a part of our portfolio. it will remain a part of our portfolio. but in today's environment with natural gas being so low and also renewables continue to have a positive influence in terms of the resource mix, if you look at the resources today for new resources, it's going to be a mix of not only renewables, solar, wind power, energy storage is a technology that's developing, and, as well, natural gas, then that's going to be sort of the fuel of choice going forward. >> okay. >> but maintenance of existing coal will certainly keep coal miners at work and the improved utilization of coal will certainly benefit that as well.
6:56 pm
but we clearly are moving toward a more balanced portfolio across the fleet, and actually that's the best thing to do as i said earlier to mitigate prices to consumers in the future. >> one last question. the president is trying to get a lot of these big car companies to build more plants here, and i think there's some confusion. a lot of people feel robots, doesn't help the economy. but i know when they were closing plants in american electric power's area, that hurt your business. i have to believe these big plants have a genuine impact and do create more jobs beyond their plants because of what it's done for what american electric power says. am i right about that? >> absolutely. when president trump talks about bringing manufacturing back to the u.s. and, in fact, making it more resilient in terms of expansion from a manufacturing and industrial standpoint, that's aep's service territory. we're very much looking forward to the shackles coming off in terms of the ability for these kinds of businesses to grow
6:57 pm
because once you get the industrial manufacturing base going again, you've got the following effects of the commercial businesses that support these businesses and, as well, the residential side of things. >> yeah, see, i think there are people who don't understand the multipler effect, but i know you do from looking at your numbers every single day. that's nick akins, chairman and ceo of american electric. a lot of good things happening but if rates shoot up, people woen want to own it. we're staying long in it for the charitable trust. we like income, and it sounds like the dividend acceleration is going to happen here. stick with aep. stick with cramer. hey can detect and repair corrosion before it ever becomes a problem. because safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. because safety is never being satisfied. it's your tv, take it with you. with directv and at&t, stream live tv anywhere data-free. join directv today starting at $35 a month. no extra monthly fees.
6:58 pm
6:59 pm
still on balance, the dow stocks are reporting. i'm fine with them. it's not a sugar high. i like to say there's always a bull market somewhere. i promise to try to find it just for you right here on "mad money." i'm jim cramer, and i will see you tomorrow!
7:00 pm
>> on this episode of "secret lives of the super rich"... >> thank you for flying gumball mother[bleep] airlines, baby. >> ...the car rally that's truly a week-long rager for the wild and wealthy. >> right about $100,000 just to be in the rally if you get invited. >> fast cars... and tons of cash required. >> now i'm gonna show you the subterranean surprises. >> the lavish secrets buried deep under this mansion will take your breath away. the tennis superstar's brutal backhand that requires a 775-grand watch. do you think that's a crazy amount of money? >> for my point of view, yes. >> and for the billionaire who

50 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on