Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  June 16, 2011 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
person. >> not to say that john wasn't those things, but maybe somebody who doesn't reaction. >> do you think you'll get married again? would you like to? >> i think so. >> a nice way to end all this, wouldn't it? >> yeah. i think so. >> well, good luck. it's been a pleasure meeting you. >> thank you. nice to meet you. >> thank you very much. >> you're welcome. >> that's all for us tonight. >> here's "a c360. ". >> we begin keeping them honest with a question about our politicians today. what exactly does a lawmaker have to do to get fired around here? why does seemingly sleazy acts get you bounced out of office and other sleazy behavior bounces off some politicians?
10:01 pm
>> there were reporters in the crowd as well as supporters and, of course, a howard stern bringster which explains some of the noise you're about to hear. >> i'm here today to apologize for the personal mistakes that i have made and the embarrassment i have caused. i make this apology to my neighbors and my constituents but i make it particularly to my wife houma. today i'm announcing my resignation from congress. >> yeah. bye-bye, pervert. >> so my colleagues can get back to work. my neighbors can choose a new representative. >> better than you. >> and most importantly that my wife and i can continue to heal from the damage i have caused. >> weiner stepped down before the house possibly voted to censure oh, pell him, before the ethics committee voted, before it even issued a report with no evidence that he even broke any laws. he apparently didn't get physical with his online partners, never met them. seem with weiner's republican colleague chris lee who posted
10:02 pm
this shot on craigslist earlier this year looking for companionship and then there was larry craig in the bathroom stall. he pled guilty to disorderly conduct and stuck it out and finished his term. new york representative charles rangel was accused of 13 ethics charges and he was re-elected. david vitter admitted, to quote, a very serious sin and asked forgiveness. he stayed in the senate and was re-elected. ironically he originally succeeded this man in the house bob livingstone who resigned after committing adultery who had been chosen to replace newt gingrich who admits that back then when he was leading the impeachment effort against president clinton he was having an affair with his now wife
10:03 pm
calista. the house leadership from president obama said he would resign if he were in congressman weiner's shoes and tonight on the evening news the president was urging him out the door >> i wish representative weiner and his lovely wife well. it's obviously been a tough incident for him, but i'm confident that they will refocus and he'll refocus and they will end up to being able to bounce back. >> president obama tonight on abc. so what are the rules? where are the lines, if there are any lines at all? joining us now, dana bash and melanie sloan of citizens for ethics and responsibility in washington. dana, was this resignation unavoidable? i mean, was it just that -- i mean, was there another way he could have handled it that he could have survived? >> reporter: i talked to some of his colleagues as i have over the past several weeks, particularly today, and they say, yes, actually. the way that he handled it was atrocious. i mean, there's really no other way to say it. never mind the core of this, which is sending lewd photographs of himself that kept
10:04 pm
trickling out over and over and over over the past couple of weeks, but most importantly it's fact that he was just so not truthful about the fact that he had done it, the fact that he not only said that he was hacked, which was not true and then he didn't answer our questions and didn't tell the truth and actually blatantly lied to us in the media, and even more importantly to his colleagues, that this really, as one of his colleagues said to me, it's all the cover-up, and the cover-up at this point and the fact that he didn't tell the truth real dehim in. >> he also didn't have many friends in congress. i'm wondering what role that would have played. had he been a senator would he have resigned? >> if he was in the senate he wouldn't have had to resign. >> why is that? >> the senate doesn't demand resignation for the most egregious offenders. no one asked for senator vitter's resignation or senator ensign's resignation even though he would have been expelled by his colleagues.
10:05 pm
>> so none of his colleagues asked vitter to resign. >> not a single one. >> and this is the first time that nancy pelosi has asked somebody to step down. >> financial scandals don't bring about nearly the same reaction. nancy pelosiner asked for congressman charlie rangel to resign, so we've seen numerous members manage to stave off these kinds of efforts, and i think part of it for anthony weiner is he didn't real very any friends in congress. he hadn't built the goodwill that say charlie rangel had over his 40 years in congress. >> dana, i find that fascinating. do you agree with that, that if weiner had been in the senate it would be a different story? >> reporter: you know, i think i best way to say it is that every situation is different. might sound like a copout but it happens to be true. i'll tell with you larry craig. i spent time in idaho following the story and trying to figure out exactly what went on, and at the time i covered it realtime. his colleagues did try to push him out. they tried very, very hard to push him out. they were unsuccessful. i'm talking about colleagues in his own party.
10:06 pm
they were not successful in doing so. they stripped him of his leadership role and really tried to get him out the door. he was determined to stay. at a certain point there's not much you can do, but i guess the difference, lots of differences obviously, but this was an incident. with anthony weiner again, we're talking about the span of almost three weeks here, anderson, with new stories, new pictures, new allegations coming out every single day of frankly unsolicited pictures he was taking of himself going to women that he didn't know and even at end of the day real the straw that broke the camel's back from leadership sources and many sources that i spoke to was the fact that he sent some messages to a 17-year-old girl. he said they weren't indecent but this on top of everything else, the story is something that is unique in and of itself. >> melanie, do you think this somehow changes things on capitol hill in terms ever, you know, that there's now a higher level or a lower lovely of tolerance for this sort
10:07 pm
behavior? how do you think tim packets things? >> i think it is a big risk for members of congress. if they are going to have a standard where any sexual impropriety at all is going to force their member of congress to be booted, i think we can see a lot of members go out the door. i think we can see a lot of opposition research on this issue and investigative journalists looking at this, and i think this is a standard members of congress need to be very cautious about. there was no ethics rule or federal law violated, and now if we're going to start kicking everybody out for sexual misconduct, even not actual misconduct but sexual impropriety, i think a lot of members have something to worry about here. >> fascinating. melanie sloan, appreciate t.dana bash, you've been covering this from the beginning, appreciate it. >> anthony weiner is going to rehab to focus on becoming a better husband and healthier person. i spoke earlier with dr. drew pins pinsky. so anthony weiner has talked about, you know, going away for some sort of treatment. is there rehab for -- i mean,
10:08 pm
i'm not sure what the treatment would actually be. is that just kind of a catch-all excuse well i'm going to go to rehab and disappear for a couple of weeks and then come back and make a comeback? is there something that he can be treated for? >> well, first to address the rehab, a term that doesn't have any meaning anymore. the fact is he going to a psychiatric hospital to get treatment, going to treatment for sexual addiction or drug addiction? is this a hospital-based program or residential program, so he's going somewhere, going to rehab. i don't know representative weiner obviously, but people that behave like this i've treated many, many times and we tend to conceptualize these things as sexual addictions and they can go away for intensive immersive programs with intense group emotional processes with men who have had problems exactly like him. it's really about -- >> is that sex therapy or a compulsive behavior? i mean, how would you characterize -- because it does make a compulsive nature -- i mean, you read those tweets and, you know, a woman is tweeting
10:09 pm
about something he said on tv and he immediately is steering it towards sexual innuendo? >> that's right. and we would put that -- i would at least put that, not knowing him, but based on what we're seeing here in the category of sexual addiction, sexual compulsion, and, yes, that has a comprehensive group process, individual therapy and 12-step an sometimes medication associated with that, but foremost among that is gaining access to an honest program of recovery that is rigorous and intense and delicate, and ultimately it's about reintegrating emotional processes. men who do this have a barren emotional life and are trying to evoke something and that's what's going on with representative weiner. >> you say reintegrating as part of the emotional process half. does that mean? >> if you've seen "celebrity rehab," the reason i did that program is to show it's very intensive process, a group process, being called out about your emotions and being open and
10:10 pm
honest and processing things you may have put way behind you and thought you had dealt with and those things need to be brought back and integrated with the rest of his emotional life. >> you know that some people, maybe a lot of people listening to this, will be rolling their eyes like come on, he was sexting and now he's going to go for deep treatment? look, he got caught doing something that probably a lot of people do. >> absolutely, that's true, but the fact is that if you've seen -- i've actually read some of the stuff he was engaged in. i couldn't repeat it in a room. no way. pretty intense stuff. it's not just the blush we've been sort of presented in the media. it went downstream very, very far and very quickly in many of these interactions, so in the context of there being severe consequences and so much at risk suggests he's not operating athletes call it a normal space emotionally at that point in time. it's the consequences that bring people to treatment. i know everybody goes men in power. that's true. men go into positions of power
10:11 pm
to be somebody. you notice we don't see women in power doing this. women in power often go into power to do something different, but men that need to be somebody often have narcissistic liabilities. anderson, you've talked about this over the years many, many times. >> not in a therapeutic setting is but on television? >> yes, on television you've talked about it, that's exactly right, because these things happen in celebrities and men in position of power, and it's not a happy thing for them. it's a very empty life they are leading and they need to be buttresses by certain external features around them and they continue to have deep emotional liabilities, many of them, and that's what comes out here. when you roll your eyes, men in power, they wouldn't do anything if they didn't get caught. that's absolutely true, same with my cocaine addicts and alcoholics and pill addicts. if the legal system didn't come to bear or their family or health consequences didn't come to bear, they keep doing it. it's true of all kinds of compulsive behaviors. >> dr. drew, thanks.
10:12 pm
fascinating. actually more about dr. drew later in the program. talked about casey anthony who has already established herself as a world class liar. is that any reason to believe that she's also a killer and the defense's question about little caylee that shook up the courtroom today? did the fbi do a test to see if the girl's uncle or grandfather could also be her father? hear what the jury heard about that day. let us know what you think. we're on facebook. follow me on twitter. up next, the story of mitt romney's joke that he's unemployed, was it insensitive? but first this. >> anderson, is moammar gadhafi ready to step down? just ahead, we'll tell you what the latest envoy to libya is saying about it. also, late word from his son about elections. that and much more when "360" continues. looking good! you lost some weight.
10:13 pm
you noticed! these clothes are too big, so i'm donating them. how'd you do it? eating right, whole grain. [ female announcer ] people who choose more whole grain tend to weigh less than those who don't. multigrain cheerios... five whole grains, 110 calories.
10:14 pm
multigrain cheerios... [ indistinct conversations ] [ hissing ] agents, what did we learn here today? that lint balls are extremely flammable! well, yeah. and that 15,000 dryer fires happen every year! that's why it's important to regularly clean and inspect your vents! correct. where did you get that?! i built it. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ ♪ i like your messy hair ♪ i like the clothes you wear ♪ i like the way you sing ♪ and when you dance with me ♪ you always make me smile [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn hotels, you always can. holiday inn. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card.
10:15 pm
♪ hey, gramps, what do you got in there? well, a trout lure, a set of dentures, broadway albums. you know -- stuff. yeah. about that. that big wheel behind us... yeah? he's got a flat-screen, swivel chairs, and a fridge. oh. hey, man! can we come over tonight? it's surprising just how affordable an rv vacation can be. visit gorving.com and get a free video. or see an rv dealer. go affordably. go rving. was it something he said? mitt romney today campaigning in tampa, cracking a joke which he does sometimes. he recently made a pun out of the words hub cap and hollandaise. this time the joke about being jobless and it came right after he ran an ad slamming president obama about what he said about the economy.
10:16 pm
first talking to a group of unemployed floridians. >> i should also tell my story. i'm also unemployed. [ laughter ] >> we can help you with the rent. >> are you on welfare? >> yes, actually. and i'm networking. >> better than what we've got. >> but i have a particular job i'm looking for. so i know exactly what i'm interested in. it's a lot of work. >> so that was the joke. got a laugh in the room. but it stirred up kind of a political storm. democratic national committee chair debbie wasserman schultz putting out a statement blasting it saying in part being unemployed, mr. romney, is not a joke, not to my constituents in florida or to millions of americans across the country. she reported that mr. romney doesn't need the job, that he is worth more than $200 mill and owns several homes around the
10:17 pm
country. asked about his joke later he said he was only making light of himself. you can't decide for yourself whether he was or wasn't. the joke came in a certain context. earlier this month president obama said this about a shaky jobs report just out. >> there are always going to be bumps on the road to recovery. >> those four roads, bumps on the road. governor romney turned them into a campaign ad accusing president obama of, well, being insensitive to the ploumd. >> i'm an american. not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american. not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> so was the president of the united states comparing americans to bumps in the road or somehow downplaying their misfortunes? was he just using a slightly clunky metaphor? was governor romney being insensitive or just being himself? i asked a pair of professionals, gop strategyist tony blankley and cornell belcher who worked on the 2008 obama campaign and will be again. tony, the democrats are now kind of jumping all over mitt romney
10:18 pm
for the statement about i'm unemployed as well. i mean, is there a problem here? do you think it's much to do about nothing? >> it's much to do about a little. gore vidal wrote years ago that american public likes a genial president but not a jokester, and i think that's largely true. someone like reagan or fdr can get away with it because they have wonderful personalities. but whether the president making a joke about shovel ready or romney making a joke about unemployment, i think the best interests is in not making jokes. >> cornell, we debated even doing this. because when you see it he was clearly sort of trying to make a light-hearted thing. the people around the table didn't seem to be particularly offended at all. but i guess in the wake of him jumping on president obama for using the term "bumps in the road ", he put out a whole commercial making it seem like the president was talking about people, you know, who are laying in the road and that they
10:19 pm
weren't just bumps in the road. i mean, do you think this is part of a larger problem for romney? >> i think he has a connection problem. you can see his people think he has a connection problem. he's working real hard to try to connect with the regular guy. so i think he -- he's trying too hard and they've got to fix it. it's ridiculous that the guy is worth a couple hundred million dollars is going to talk about him being unemployed. it's almost insulting to people being unemployed. from a larger campaign strategy standpoint he clearly is trying to connect this with a regular i go and they clearly see this as a problem but he's not doing it very well. >> it is interesting, tony. recently there have been a number of pretty devastating accounts by reporters kind of following romney on the road. just he's gotten better it seems like in press conferences, in debates. he's become clearly the front-runner right now, but in kind of one-on-one moments, which are now increasingly recorded, he seems to have a lot of awkwardness. >> well, i think anyone who
10:20 pm
becomes a front-runner is more vulnerable to these sort of things, you will plus the media sort of gets into the rhythm of a particular critique of one candidate or the other. right now they are in that kind of mode looking for little examples. right now the rhythm is to see if romney says anything that's not a regular guy. the truth, is he's not a regular guy. rockefeller wasn't a regular guy. they got to figure out how to be themselves and be sort of accessible to the public without pretending to be a 9:00 to 5:00-er. >> i don't think anyone who's a regular guy or a regular woman runs for president and can actually become president. you have to be kind of extraordinary in many levels. >> you got to be something a little different. only been 44 of them. >> right. so cornell, if you were advising romney how to proceed because clearly, if he's the front-runner right new and is going to be -- you know, everybody's going to be out for him one way or another, how does he avoid this trap in the future? what would you advise him? >> this is the great sin is voters can smell inauthenticity a mile away. he's got to come across as
10:21 pm
authentic. in these situations he comes across as inauthentic. so i would try to get him out of those situations, but the problem in new hampshire and iowa, that's retail politics 101 at its best so you've got to be out there touching the flesh and talking to people. and to a certain extent, if he's not very good at it they've got to take him out of those situations as much as possible. clearly here's a guy, sorry, he's just not very good at it. got to limit those situations. but it's hard in iowa and new hampshire. >> i want to ask both of you just in general about the gop field right now. tony, as you watch the field right now, what interests you the most? what do you think is -- what are you going to be watching for besides anyone new entering the race, but what are you going to be watching for with the current candidates in the next couple of weeks? >> i think the question is increasingly who is going to be the alternative to romney. i mean, romney's not quite a front-runner but he's almost. he's around 25%, 30% in a split field. so the question is, who is going to emerge as the alternative down the stretch? we're a long way from the
10:22 pm
stretch. but june is remarkably close to september, which is remarkably close to january. so it moves faster than you would expect. >> cornell, how about you? what's so interesting about that race is that they've seen one way early on and then you look at hillary clinton who's thought to be way out in front early on and then all of a sudden here came then senator barack obama. >> and i'm very thankful for that. >> when you look at sort of the mood of the country, voters were looking for change. there was an anti-establishment, sort of anti-washington fervor that was going on in the country two years ago. and i thought we saw that manifest itself in the democratic primary. i think we're going to see that same sort of thing manifesting itself on the right this time, especially with the tea party. i kind of like the outside candidates chances to come in here. a lot of people didn't agree with me, but michelle bachman has the largest sort of upside. i think she showed herself very well in that last debate. i think she can speak to the tea party. and i think she's the outside candidate who can cut in here. >> tony blankley, good to have
10:23 pm
you on the program. >> thank you. >> and cornell belcher as well. >> thank you. a lot coming up. the defense starts its case in the murder trial of casey anthony. fascinating day in court. we're going to get the latest on what happened from gary tuchman who's there and we'll hear more from dr. drew about what could be going on with casey, whether she's a pathological liar and what that really actually means. all that ahead. also al qaeda named a new leader to take over for osama bin laden. could the delay mean there's dissension in the ranks? ♪ professional driver on a closed course. ♪
10:24 pm
do not attempt at home. always wear your seat belt. ♪ and please drive responsibly. [ male announcer ] it's the most fun you can legally have. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers on the c-class. ♪ i like your messy hair ♪ i like the clothes you wear
10:25 pm
♪ i like the way you sing ♪ and when you dance with me ♪ you always make me smile [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn hotels, you always can. holiday inn. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card.
10:26 pm
and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. host: could switching to geico reon car insurance? or more host: do people use smartphones to do dumb things? man 1: send, that is the weekend. app grapgic: yeah dawg! man 2: allow me to crack...the bubbly! man 1: don't mind if i doozy. man 3: is a gentleman with a brostache invited over to this party? man 1: only if he's ready to rock! ♪ sfx: guitar and trumpet jam
10:27 pm
vo: geico. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. well, one of the most intriguing parts to watch in the casey anthony murder trial is trying to figure out what is going on with casey anthony. i talked to dr. drew to get his take on it. >> so far there's really nothing that has been offered that gives me as a clinician a way to understand exactly what this behavior has been. the way things have played out in court makes it look like she's a psychopath, makes it look like she's a really egregiously awful parent and probably somebody who's capable of hurting this child. >> more with dr. drew and the latest from inside the court today coming up.
10:28 pm
first isha joins us back with the 360 news and business bulletin. >> reporter: anderson, al zawahiri has been named as osama bin laden's successor. he was osama bin laden's personal physician and some so closest confident and some say the fact that it took al qaeda weeks to name a new leader could be a sign there's dissension in the ranks. moammar gadhafi says there could be a successor in months. the uk, nato or other international observers could be there to make sure it's a fair election. meanwhile russian envoy in libya says he was told that gadhafi is not ready to step down. california governor jerry brown has vetoed the budget that state lawmakers passed. brown said the budget, the proposed budget adds billions of dollars of new debt and the state has to do better to solve its $26 billion deficit. and anderson, the city of vancouver is cleaning up the mess from rioting. cars were overturned, fires were
10:29 pm
set, and police used tear gas after the boston bruins beat the vancouver canucks to win the stanley cup. a local bar owner says it comes down to too many people having too much to drink. you think? >> really surprising stuff. time for the -- i heard about this, isha, from twitter. a lot of folks tweeted me that this had happened. are you up for a little wheel of fortune? >> let's do it. >> all right. this is from tonight's show. the category is same name. let's take a look at how this all played out on the show. >> andy, it's your turn. this is going to be close. oh. >> darn. >> wow. shawn, what do you want to do. >> i'd like to solve, please. anderson and mini cooper. >> yeah, that's right. >> i hope they're talking about the car. [ laughter ] >> but i'm sad also that i bankrupted that person.
10:30 pm
>> oh, well. >> i didn't technically bankrupt the person. >> technically you didn't. but i'm sure they're watching the show right now. >> it's that damn pat sajak. >> yes, inside. well, they know not to bet on you anymore. >> yes. i'm a good bet. anyway -- >> as he says of himself. >> not exactly. it was very exciting, though, to see vanna white, you know. is she still doing it? okay. yeah. seeing vanna white turn the things. i got very excited. >> okay. if you say. so in the u.k. we have a different version of the show. different people. >> oh, right? do you know who the original host of "wheel of fortune why the "was and the original letter turner? >> i don't know why i know that. >> no. but i know you're going to freak everyone out with your geekiness. >> chuck woolery and susan stafford. i'm pretty sure that's right. somebody on twitter will correct me if i'm wrong. >> we're going to work to find out if you're right and we'll tell you before the end of the show. >> chuck woolery went on to do "love connection."
10:31 pm
again, why i know this, i don't know. >> now you're beginning to scare me. is there an exit? >> exit stage left. all right. there's a lot more ahead. serious stuff starting with the crime and punishment. latest on the casey anthony trial. we'll be right back. and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
10:32 pm
♪ i like your messy hair ♪ i like the clothes you wear ♪ i like the way you sing ♪ and when you dance with me ♪ you always make me smile [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn express hotels, you always can.
10:33 pm
holiday inn express. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. distracted driving. it accounts for 25% of car crashes. - ♪ [ dance ] - music, cell phones, food-- the list goes on. this is why safe driving is so important. - correct. - and it's why the best agents... help safe drivers get a lower rate. - oh! - exactly. ♪ another dream but always you ♪ whoa! ♪ it's like a vision-- [ tires squeal ] ♪ [ resumes ] [ man announcing ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
10:34 pm
10:35 pm
crime and punishment, a new face of the casey anthony murder trial began today exactly three years after 2-year-old caylee anthony was last seen alive. some people marked the sad anniversary at the site where the toddler's remains were found, paying their respects to the little girl whose mom didn't report her missing for a month. now casey anthony is facing a possible death sentence if she's convicted. today with an explosive question her defense team came out swinging. here's gary tuchman. >> reporter: casey anthony's attorneys have now begun to present their case. >> good morning, ladies and gentlemen. >> reporter: their effort to free her or at the very least save her life started out with some hard ball. at the start of the trial, the defense said caylee anthony accidentally drowned, and then put out a shocking claim, that casey was molested by her father
10:36 pm
and brother. the defense contends the history of incest was a reason she kept her daughter's drowning a secret. today her attorneys tried to reignite that legal flame. listen to what defense attorney jose baez asked a fbi scientist. >> were you to conduct a paternity test for lee anthony as to being a potential father of caylee anthony? >> reporter: prosecutors quickly objected. baez knew full well the paternity tests had come back negative for both her father and brother, but he clearly wanted the jury to know that those paternity tests had within done. so far there is nobody on the defense witness list who will testify about the possible relationship between incest and keeping your child's death secret. one person who might fill that role is casey anthony herself. but her attorneys are still not saying if she'll take the stand. what they focused on today was dna. specifically the lack of it on critical evidence. like the duct tape found on the child's skull. >> did you test the adhesive
10:37 pm
side of the duct tape? >> yes, i did. >> and was there anything that you were able to find there? >> the information that was generated was inconclusive. >> reporter: but the prosecution asked the same expert what happens to dna after months in the heat and humidity. >> it is probably that if there were cells contained on there the cells could start to degrade over time in the dna that would be contained in there would also start to be diminished. >> reporter: not all the testimony on this day was serious. listen to this crime scene investigator. >> do you speak while you're doing these things? >> no. >> why not? >> because i'm by myself. >> okay. [ laughter ] >> reporter: it's rare to see casey anthony smile in the presence of a jury. but she did today as the defense makes its push to convince those jurors she did not kill her daughter. >> gary you were sitting near casey anthony's parents in court today. what are their reactions when
10:38 pm
the whole question of paternity tests came up? >> the rules in the court, anderson, are no one is allowed to talk whether you're the family, the media, the public. so they follow the rules. and they did not talk. but i looked at their faces during this testimony, both george and cindy looked very serious and very sad. george had a bible with him today. he thumbed through the bible during parts of the testimony. he also had a notebook. and on the notebook he had a badge with a picture of little caylee. one other rule, anderson, i want to talk to you about in the courtroom, that's the rule there's no sleeping allowed of or you'll get kicked out. i may remember why would you go to court and camp out? what's happening is people are camping out. right now there's about 40 people behind me who have been here for two hours. 12 hours before court starts tomorrow. they're so tired by the time they get into court they fall asleep. and at least four people were kicked out of court today for crashing in the middle of the dna testimony. >> and i guess, i mean, the question and there's no answer to it, but any indications whether or not casey anthony is going to take the stand? >> 50/50 yesterday.
10:39 pm
i would say that it's less than that today. the defense has made it clear there's a lot of people they want to call to the stand, a lot of science witnesses. sometimes when you have that many science witnesses you don't call the star witness. once you call the star witness the jury starts ignoring all the other testimony they've heard and they clearly want people to hear these testimony from these scientific witnesses they're calling. >> the defense made it clear today they'll try to build on the accusations in their opening statements about casey anthony being sexually abused by her brother and father. that's the allegations. i also talked about that with dr. drew pinsky. dr. drew, with as many lies as casey anthony has told, is it possible that on some level she actually believes the story she's told everyone about the death of her daughter? >> i don't know about that particular lie, but there's no doubt in my mind that she is one of these people that does believe the lies that she maintains. when you really look at her, the only thing we know about casey anthony for sure of a factual nature is that she is a spectacular liar. >> pathological liar?
10:40 pm
you hear that term bandied about. >> absolutely. i will tell you when you read the literature on pathological lying what you see is that it never exists as an entity unto itself. it always exists in a context of other personality disorders, drug addiction, some other explanation for why the pathology is going on. i've speculated and no one has been able to answer me on this, maybe she had a head injury as a child. maybe there's a neurological explanation for this. because when you read the lies, they are so stunning, we don't know is she a psychopath who's a cold-blooded killer? is she a sociopath who doesn't really appreciate that other people have feeling? is she a drug addict possibly? none of these things have been presented in court. but so far, there's really nothing that has been offered that gives me as a clinician a way to understand exactly what this behavior has been. the way things have played out in court makes it look like she's a psychopath, makes it looks like she's a really egregiously awful parent and probably somebody who's capable of hurting this child. >> and they're alleging sexual
10:41 pm
abuse by her brother and by her father. is that something, though, that comes out in the ways that they're saying it does in her case, which is her reaction to the death of her daughter? >> that's the case they're making. but as i've said on my program several times, i treat lots of drug addicts. they're terrible parents. i treat lots of trauma survivors. that doesn't make them murderers. in fact i never see that. that never happens. it makes them bad parents and it may make them do strange things after a loss. that maybe explains her behavior after being aware that something had happened to her child. but even that, i mean, that's a reach. it really is. by the way, especially they've not really proven severe sexual abuse. you'd have to show chronic, ongoing sexual abuse. >> they haven't proven any sexual abuse. >> no. they've alleged that maybe something happened with her brother and maybe something happened with her dad. in my experience, that's not enough to explain wild lying and wild behavior and extreme partying after your child has died. >> dr. drew pinsky, thanks. >> a pleasure.
10:42 pm
let's bring in our legal experts. andrea lyon is casey anthony's former attorney and a professor at depaul university. paul henderson is a prosecutor. paul, why is the defense raising the question of whether casey's brother or father were the father of her little girl? neither of them was the father according to dna testing. so they already know that. is this just a ploy to put a suggestion in front of the jury? >> reporter: absolutely. this is just a red herring that they're throwing out there to try to paint a picture without putting her on the stand. and the reason that you know that that's the case is because up until now, they never requested any of that dna be tested. and if they really suspected that this was a possibility, they could have easily have asked the prosecution to have the dna tested for that likelihood. >> the prosecution are the ones who requested that it be tested. i think that might be the purpose of asking the questions in the first place is to show that prosecution the police suspected incest.
10:43 pm
>> the jury now still doesn't have an answer about george anthony. there was an argument between the lawyers. the jury was excused from the room. when they came back, the defense asked about the results of the brother lee. the defense didn't ask about george anthony. and so the question is perhaps in the jurors' minds now about george anthony. >> reporter: look, they know that only way that going to be able to pitch their story in terms of an inference of molestation or an inference of incest is going to be for her to have to take the stand. the only way around that is to show through some dna evidence that does not exist, you know, i think that this was just a ruse and a red herring to try and distract the jury from what's really going on, which is the ultimate question of was she responsible for the death and the murder of her child. >> to be fair, the prosecution is asking the jury to draw a lot of inferences. she's at a party, she's a murderer. she lies, she's a murderer. so, i mean, just to be fair,
10:44 pm
there's an awful lot of inference slinging in this trial. >> so how damaging, paul, do you think it was for the prosecution, the fact that there was testimony today that dna -- that casey's dna was not found on the duct tape? and that in fact one piece -- part of the duct tape had been contaminated by another technician? >> whether or not the experts or the people in the labs had mishandled that piece of evidence and how they were processing it, it doesn't take away from the end results which is that that duct tape was found wrapped around the skull of the child. >> i've got to respectfully disagree with you paul, because here's the thing. they're saying that this tape proves homicide. but the tape doesn't have caylee's dna on it, it doesn't have casey's dna on it. it's still sticky and capable of capturing dna. it has the dna of this technician and an unknown male on it. >> the defense wants to call a surprise witness, a man who served 10 years for kidnapping,
10:45 pm
who the defense says is somehow -- they haven't said how he may or may not be connected to casey's father, they say there were phone calls between casey's father and this person. george anthony's lawyer says george anthony doesn't know the guy. paul, in your opinion is this just another effort to kind of bring george anthony into this as a possible player? >> absolutely. because there is no shred of evidence, nothing. there is no evidence in the record in its entirety that indicates that anyone -- that there's a tie with this individual. >> you have to remember that the prosecution has thrown up as much stuff to see if it sticks. you tell me that it is relevant to whether or not this young woman killed her child as to whether or not she got a tattoo sometime later. the point that i'm making is, this is a circumstantial evidence case.
10:46 pm
>> would a defense attorney at this point already know whether or not they want to put their client in this case casey anthony on the stand? >> not necessarily. they wouldn't necessarily know. and it kind of reminds me of a case where i had a client who was a displaced west virginia coal miner. and he had good things and important things to say. but he had a very odd way of presenting himself. he didn't express emotions the way normal people do. and so the decision whether to call him was complicated by the way that i feared that a jury might look at him as a person. and so this is a very complicated decision. >> and paul, in particular also because of all the tapes of her lying -- >> well, this is not just a case about someone that has abhorrent behavior or bad behavior. it's the context that those lies are give tonight people around her. >> there's no cause of death. you have to remember that. there is no cause of death.
10:47 pm
they cannot say that this was a -- that this was a homicide based on the medical evidence. they cannot say that. >> and we don't know the cause of death because someone hid the body. someone removed the body that prevented an autopsy from being done in a timely fashion. and the facts and the evidence indicate that it was likely the mother because she was last in control of the body. >> but remember you're using words like likely. and likely is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt. >> got to leave you there. andrea lyon, paul henderson, thanks. fascinating discussion. anthony weiner stepping down ten days after he admitted he sent lewd photos to several women. we'll have the latest on that and the question why some politicians survive scandal while others call it quits. where does washington actually draw the line? and no stranger tottori dicklous. the third eagle in the apocalypse, the man obsessed with hidden phallic images is back. a three-peat on the ridiculist. the first time ever. es with you.
10:48 pm
more passion for the one ya love. more fun with your family and friends. it could be a treatable condition called low testosterone or low t. come on, stop living in the shadows. you've got a life to live. [ male announcer ] so don't blame it on aging. talk to your doctor and go to isitlowt.com to find out more. i thought it was over here... ♪ [car horn honks] our outback always gets us there... ... sometimes it just takes us a little longer to get back. ♪
10:49 pm
10:50 pm
10:51 pm
>> female announcer: where everything is included, sometimes the greatest luxury of all is doing nothing at all. save up to 65%. call 1-800-sandals.
10:52 pm
time now for the ridiculist. tonight we have what i believe is the first ever ridiculist three-peat. who better to make ridiculist history than our friend william taply, better known as -- >> the third eagle of the apocalypse and the co-prophet of the end times. >> how do you get to be the co-prophet of the end times? is it such a sought after position they have to divide it up? anyway, as any fan of the third eagle's youtube videos, he is kind of obsessed with hidden fall sits -- fallacies he sees all over the denver international airport. >> they are evil. they are signs of say the annism. on this program i will point out that many of them are faphallic
10:53 pm
symbols. >> the box on the penguin has a prominent penguin penis. he's even highlighted it for your enjoyment at the denver international airport. i put him on the ridiculist a while back. he responded. put him on again. now like manna from heaven, he's responded again. >> i guess you could call this the rubber match. well, maybe that is not quite the correct term. >> saucy. who knew the co-prophet of the end times would have such a naughty sense of humor? i'm starting to see how he got to be the co-prophet after all. although i think his presentation was a little stiff and perhaps premature. >> i honestly believe that mr. cooper is beginning to agree with me. >> not so fast, third eagle. do you mind if i call you third eagle? i try to keep an open mind, but you lose me when you claim there is a horse at the airport covered in phallacies. in order to prove it, i would need a closer look. >> let's take a closer look on the mane of this blue demon horse. these sure look like phallic symbols to me.
10:54 pm
mr. cooper, do you think they're ice cream cones? >> not to receive. don't ever go to baskin robbins with the third eagle of the apocalypse. an ice cream parlor is satan's snack bar. long-time followers of the co-prophet will no doubt already know that it's not just the penguin and the horse that are the problem but the denver international airport's entire outdoor baggage handling area. >> the outdoor baggage handling area is in the shape of a phallis. let's take a closer look. >> and that is exactly what he does in his new sri. mr. taply has taken his phallis or philosophy into a whole new level. not just the phallis shaped terminal that concerns him but also surrounding street names. >> what do you suppose this street name is that runs right down the center? you guessed it. that's pena boulevard. >> sorry. all right. actually i did not guess that.
10:55 pm
i was hoping for urethra boulevard. pena is named for fedrico pena, the former mayor of denver. but anyway, that's just one street. not like there's others. >> i guess you could call this the pubic hair area. what do you suppose the name of this street is right here? this is the hairy b. combes parkway. >> harry b. combes was an aviator and a writer. who cares? it doesn't matter. >> this street right here? this is shady grove street. i guess that's because that's where the sun don't shine. >> the sun don't -- i think he's getting his anatomical references confused now. >> if they ever cut the flow of traffic on this little screen, leading down to pena boulevard, i bet they will call that a vasectomy. >> that is a fallacy. say what you will about the co-prophet. he cares about people as much as he cares about fallacies. >> as for you, mr. cooper, do you want to be remembered as the
10:56 pm
most naive reporter in the history of television? >> well, no. i wanted to be remembered as third eagle of the apocalypse but that name was already taken. >> and, mr. cooper, i am going to send you a copy of my free book. i hope this address is correct. >> i got the book. thank you kindly. that was a very nice gesture. so you know what, let's just end this whole war of words. i'm officially extending the olive branch. oh, no. he's not going to like that, is he? got to work on that. please don't get too testy. william taply has indeed been a long and winding road. thank you for the memories. and your hereby from now until end times first eagle of the ridiculist. we'll be right back. down the hill? man: all right. we were actually thinking, maybe... we're going to hike up here, so we'll catch up with you guys.
10:57 pm
[ indistinct talking and laughter ] whew! i think it's worth it. working with a partner you can trust is always a good decision. massmutual. let our financial professionals help you reach your goals.
10:58 pm
10:59 pm