Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  June 22, 2011 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
11:01 pm
11:02 pm
>> thanks to our extraordinary men and women in uniform, our
11:03 pm
civilian personnel, our many coalition partners we are meeting our goals. as a result, starting next month we will be able to remove 10,000 of our troops from afghanistan by the end of this year. and we will bring home a total of 33,000 troops by next summer. fully recovering the surge i announced at west point. after this initial reduction, our troops will continue coming home at a steady pace as afghan security forces move into the lead. our mission will change from combat to support. by 2014 this process of transition will be complete. and the afghan people will be responsible for their own security. we're starting this drawdown from a position of strength. al qaeda is under more pressure than at any time since 9/11. together with the pakistanis we have taken out more than half of al qaeda's leadership. and thanks to our intelligence professionals and special forces, we killed osama bin
11:04 pm
laden, the only leader that al qaeda had ever known. this was a victory for all who have served since 9/11. one soldier summed it up well. the message, he said, is we don't forget. you will be held accountable no matter how long it takes. >> president obama saying the surge is working and by 2014 the afghan people will be responsible for their own security. but for the first time a majority of americans want u.s. troops home sooner. in fact as soon as possible. look at the two lines in this graph. the yellow one for keeping the troops there until the situation has stabilized, the red one for getting them out as soon as possible. look at the change over time. 56% now say get the troops out as soon as possible, that's 67% of democrats and independent, 43% of republicans. and the pivot point coming right around the time of the killing of osama bin laden in neighbor pakistan. a lot of americans see that as good enough reason to get out of afghanistan. it wasn't the only objective when president bush took the
11:05 pm
troops into afghanistan or when president obama escalated the war there. here's mr. obama in december in december of 2009 at west point. >> we must deny al qaeda a safe haven, we must reverse the taliban's momentum and deny it theable to overthrow the government, and we must strengthen the capacity of afghanistan's security forces and government so they can take lead responsibility for afghanistan's future. >> tonight president obama pitted america's involvement over the last 10 years with strengthening afghan security forces and improving afghan laws while devastating al qaeda. keeping them honest, look at this map showing taliban influence in afghanistan today province by province. only three provinces in light yellow ten years into the war are free of taliban control. when it comes to strengthening the afghan government, american tax players are sending $323 million a month in foreign aid to afghanistan. most of it for so-called stablization projects. yet a new majority staff report from the senate foreign relations committee says "the
11:06 pm
evidence that stabilization programs promote stability in afghanistan is limited. some research suggestion the opposite". it also reports a stunning world bank figures. 97% is how much afghanistan's economy comes from foreign military spending and foreign aid. you take even a chunk of that away the economy collapses. what's even more alarming is that a lot of money is apparently being wasted. new report from the commission on wartime contracting in afghanistan lays it out pretty clearly. "potential waste from unsustainable projects exceeds $11 billion for just -- $11 billion for just one program in afghanistan." including a 3-year-old power plant that barely runs because the cost of operating and maintaining it is too high for afghans when it's cheaper to buy power from uzbekistan next door. an audit of one single project falling into the hands of the taliban.
11:07 pm
angry response of kabul from america's departing ambassador. >> when we hear ourselves being called occupiers and worse, and our generous aids are being dismissed as totally ineffective and the source of all corruption, our pride is offended. and we begin to lose our inspiration to carry on. >> from a diplomatic language, that is strong stuff. joining us now world affairs analyst fareed zakaria host of cnn's fareed zakaria and national security analyst and author of the oral history the osama bin laden i know. fareed, first of all what do you make of the president's announcement tonight? >> i think it's in keeping with his basic strategic rationale from the start. he did announce the surge. part of that was i think the military boxed him in. you remember stan mcchrystal leaked his recommendation, making it very difficult for the democratic president to overturn it.
11:08 pm
but obama has started his presidency saying we are too committed overseas, we are too military engaged, we have too large a footprint, we've got to rebalance, we've got to focus on nation building at home. we've got to focus on asia. and he sounded all those themes. it was a remarkable speech for an american president in the caution, the strategic emphasis rather than the idealistic emphasis. he said things like, we must be as pragmatic as we are passionate, as strategic as we are resolute. many would have america overextend itself confronting every evil found abroad. this is reminiscent of a very different strain of america, in many ways a strain that goes back before the cold war. >> he also talked about building international partnerships for military action a la libya as opposed to going it alone. david i want to play a little bit more of what the president said tonight. >> already this decade of war has caused many to question the nature of america's engagement around the world.
11:09 pm
some would have mercury treat from our responsibility as an anchor of global security and embrace an isolation that ignores the very real threats that we face. others would have america overextend it, confronting every evil that can be found abroad. >> we have to chart a more centered course to fareed's point. >> well, he has chosen i think what was aptly called earlier the goldilocks strategy. some people want to move out rapidly, some people want to stay a long time. i'm going to choose the middle of that. and i think overall fareed is right. i thought that this speech did bring into focus -- although it was a very good speech -- brought into focus his overall philosophy. you have to say, he promised as a candidate early on in his presidency he would wind down the wars in iraq and afghanistan and try to do that success and try to do that success as white house aides were pointing that out, when he came into office he had 190,000 troops deployed. at the end of this year less than 100,000.
11:10 pm
he is winding down. i have some disagreements with him on how he's winding down afghanistan. >> do you both agree this is a movement away from the mcchrystal counterinsurgency and counter terrorist style operation? >> i think it clearly is a movement in that direction. it may not happen in the next few months because they will clearly want to show the taliban that they are not drawing down. but there are two signs of that. the first is of course the nature of the troop withdrawal. the second is, who is going to prosecute the counterterrorism strategy for the united states of the next three or four years? david petraeus. the movement of david petraeus to become head of the cia is very significant in this respect, because what he is doing is saying to petraeus, you make counterterrorism work as well as you have made counterinsurgency work in iraq and afghanistan. >> yes. but in the process he got undercut. i mean, let's face it. >> you see this as a victory for joe biden? >> there's no question about that. general petraeus and secretary
11:11 pm
clinton and bob gates all have been reported tonight to have reluctantly accepted this outcome. they wanted them more robust. i frankly must say, what i'm clearly puzzled about when you're trying to wind down a war. everybody agrees you have to wind it down in afghanistan. you've got to turn around two wars. the most successful general of modern times. he comes to you with a recommendation on how to do it and you say no thank you i'm going to do that a different way. i find that puzzling. >> every general always wants more troops. and i think that job of the president is to say, i have concerns beyond just afghanistan and iraq. i've got to look at america's strategic involvement and how much we've spent on these wars in blood and treasure. >> he's got the best defense secretary in decades. he's got the best general in place in a long time. and he did not accept their recommendations. >> i want to bring in gloria. obviously the white house will say this is first and foremost a military decision not a political one. but you can't separate what we heard tonight from the fact the president was speaking to a war-weary public mired in a tough economy facing re-election. >> you know, absolutely.
11:12 pm
i mean, this is a president who understands that 56% of the american public does not want to be in afghanistan. and the white house advisors i spoke to today said to me, look, if you go back to his speech in december of 2009, this is a president that people will view as steady. because he told us what he was going to do when he announced the surge in december 2009. and that is exactly what he has done. he is claiming some success in diminishing and defeating al qaeda, obviously killing osama bin laden helps him with that narrative. and so i think he believes it now. he can make the case to the american public that he can draw down having had some success. but given the fact that we're spending all this money on this war, that it is usually unpopular, i think it's very difficult, anderson, to separate what is a military decision from
11:13 pm
what will become a political decision, you know? it's just -- it's all part and parcel of the same thing. >> you and i have traveled together in afghanistan a number of times. i want to play another clip from what the president said earlier, >> we do know that peace cannot come to a land that has known so much war without a political settlement. so as we strengthen the afghan government and security forces, america will join initiatives that reconcile the afghan people, including the taliban. >> you've been talking white house sources. how significant is it he acknowledge the taliban as being part of the afghan reconciliation? >> we've known this has been going on for several months but the first time the president acknowledged it. bob gates did a few days ago, president karzai outed it officially. it is a big deal that white house officials i spoke to said they're aware of somewhere between 10 and 20 different what they call leads into the
11:14 pm
taliban. they're sort of doing detective work is what they're saying, trying to work out if these leads, how legitimate are they. is somebody coming forward as sort of a free agent who really doesn't represent senior leadership of the taliban? or is it something deeper? they are saying they are not starry eyed about these discussions with the taliban. they don't expect some treaty of versailles but they are looking at sort of some leads that appear to be fairly substantial that might lead to further negotiation. so i think this is news worthy. >> fareed, it's interesting because you have an article in a piece in the "washington post" tomorrow that's really fascinating and very scary about -- and i think one of the things -- i don't want to misquote you -- you say what happens in afghanistan the future in afghanistan may not depend on the level of troops but the pakistani military. the pakistani military seems to be moving away from the u.s.
11:15 pm
rather rapidly and heading toward islamic extremists. >> it's important to look at the speech and notice the one place where it's very soft and very vague is obama's discussion of pakistan. he says we won't tolerate safe havens in pakistan. but that is not the problem. the pakistani military has huge equities as they describe them in afghanistan. they support the pakistani taliban. they support various militant groups. and increasingly you have evidence that this is a military riddled with islamic extremists. they themselves have just arrested a brigadier general as we discussed on this program. you look at the attack on the naval base which was an inside job. you look at the way in which they have killed a journalist who was exposing the increasing infiltration of extremism within the pakistani military. the pakistani ambassador to washington, a moderate democrat, went to the national defense university and did a poll. he asked the audience, how many of you think india is your biggest strategic threat.
11:16 pm
small number. how many of you think the militants, the terrorists are your biggest threat. small number. how many of you think the united states of america is your biggest threat. a majority of hands go up. >> these were pakistani military officers. these were colonels in the pakistani military. think about that. these guys think that a country that has allied with them and given them $20 billion of aid over the last decade is their princ threat. >> it's a fascinating article going to be in the "washington post" tomorrow. david gather again thank you. fareed zakaria, gloria borcher thank you and peter -- i'll be tweeting tonight. up next we have more breaking news. late word on a vote in new york state on same-sex marriage. there has not been a vote tonight many going to talk about the likelihood of it. there had been some talk late tonight or maybe tomorrow or the following day. detail tonight on where things exactly stand. maybe the bigger question, why are lawmakers taking so long to
11:17 pm
say yes or no to get a vote on to the floor. also breaking news in the trial of casey anthony in a 360 exclusive. find out what casey anthony's mom and dad actually think about their daughter's guilt or innocence. do they believe she is innocent? we actually have the answer for the first time on that tonight. details ahead.tw k -- a network of possibilities. in here, the planned combination of at&t and t-mobile would deliver our next generation mobile broadband experience to 55 million more americans, many in small towns and rural communities, giving them a new choice. we'll deliver better service, with thousands of new cell sites... for greater access to all the things you want, whenever you want them. it's the at&t network... and what's possible in here is almost impossible to say. so i take one a day men's 50+ advantage. as a manager, my team counts on me to stay focused. it's the at&t network... it's the only complete multivitamin with ginkgo to support memory and concentration. plus it supports heart health. [ bat cracks ] that's a hit. one a day men's.
11:18 pm
until i tried this. nothing helped me beat arthritis pain. it's salonpas. pain relief that works at the site of pain... up to 12 hours. salonpas. bridgestone is using natural rubber, researching ways to enhance its quality and performance, and making their factories more environmentally friendly. producing products that save on fuel and emissions, and some that can be reused again. ♪ and promoting eco-friendly and safety driving campaigns. ♪ one team. one planet. bridgestone.
11:19 pm
should i bundle all my policies with nationwide insurance ? watch this. on one hand, you have your home insurance with one company. and on another hand, you have your auto with another. and on another hand, you have your life with another. huh... but when you bundle them all together with nationwide insurance... ... they all work together perfectly-- and you could save 25%. wow... it's all in the wrists. ♪ nationwide is on your side
11:20 pm
breaking news tonight in the casey anthony trial. a 360 exclusive. we now know what casey's parents really believe about their daughter's role in 2-year-old caylee anthony's death. for that we go to gary tuchman in orlando. >> reporter: ever since she was charged with murder it has not been clear, we have not known how they feel about the charges against her. it's especially relevant now because of the opening statements where george, the father, was raked over the coals by the defense attorney. so we asked today, we said, how do they feel about these charges? and now we have the answer. they feel their daughter is not innocent. the details are intriguing and heart-breaking. anderson? >> gary, thanks very much. we'll have more on that later on. more breaking news. new york could be on the brink of being the sixth and largest state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage. legislation going down to the wire in new york's republican-controlled state
11:21 pm
senate. the vote on one single gop senator could make the difference between passage and defeat. 29 out of 30 democrats support the measure. one says he never will. two republicans have changed from no to yes. tonight new york governor andrew cuomo says he remains hopeful for passage but the bill has been on the brink of a vote for days now while lawmakers have voted on measures to make sweet corn the state vegetable, bingo rules and legislation to allow people to hunt big game with cross bows. so why the delay? joining me now senior legal analyst jeffrey toobin and -- evan -- >> whether or not it passes, why not just let it come up to a vote? >> we're very hopeful that there will be a vote. we're calling on the senate to move for a vote because we feel like we've made the case. thousands and thousands of new yorkers, democrats as well as republicans, business leaders as well as labor on unions, professional athletes, as well as individual people and their families and loved ones have
11:22 pm
contacted their legislators, have called the senators, have visited the senators and have taken out. actually 58% of new yorkers support the measure. >> do you think you have enough support among the legislators? >> we are very helpful that if the senate brings it to a vote, which i hope will happen very soon, that we will have a happy day for new york. >> jeff, as up you look at this, why is it taking so long to come to a vote one way or another? >> i think this is a hard vote for a lot of the republicans the republican party institutionally and in new york state has been opposed to same-sex marriage. look at the debate we just saw in new hampshire. every candidate was for a constitutional amendment to stop same-sex marriage. new york is different. and the new york republicans are different. but it's hard for them to come around. and they are now concentrating it seems on side issues as a way from -- as pushing attention away from the main issue. but the fact that they are so close and it really looks like if there is a vote it will pass is a huge, huge change. especially when it failed in the new york state senate by a wide
11:23 pm
margin just two years ago. >> evan, it seems like the final sticking points have been over religious exemption or religious concerns. what are the concerns? and i mean, there are legitimate religious concerns, some churches don't want to be forced to marry gay people. >> well, no church should be forced to marry any couple they don't want to. a church is as free to not marry a gay couple as it is to not marry an interfaith couple. nobody can force the catholic church to marry divorced catholics. but the catholic church, of course, can't tell the city clerk not to issue a license, a marriage license from the government to that divorced catholic couple. so everybody agrees that the bill, like any bill has to have a significant balance between non-discrimination on the one hand and religious freedom on the other. the good news here is that the governor, majority leader and others have been today saying they actually believe the language looks good, that this is a gap or a question that can really be resolved. and i don't actually think that will prove to be a sticking point.
11:24 pm
>> it seems like they're debating stuff behind closed doors that have nothing to do with same-sex marriage. it seems like they're focusing on other issues in the state. >> in terms of the politics, the republicans are looking for ways to justify their vote for same-sex marriage. and at least a significant number of them are saying, look. i wasn't going to support this unless we protected the catholic church from being sued. now, in fact, that's a non-issue. it's a red herring. there's been same-sex marriage in massachusetts for seven years. it's never been any sort of problem like this. but this is giving the republicans political cover. and it looks like cuomo and the majority leader of the senate are going to give it to them. >> is there a date by which they have to vote or it will go away? >> no. this is albany and they can do what they can do. and what we're watching is them working on as you said not just the freedom to marry but also other important matters to new yorkers. but governor cuomo who has been a really strong champion when he was a candidate and as governor, has made it clear he wants to
11:25 pm
see a vote. and we hope we're going to see a vote. >> you've been campaigning for this obviously nationwide. what do you think the impact of this happening in new york would be? >> i think it will be immense. first of all -- >> more than other places? >> first of all, if new york moves to marriage, which we're very hopeful is going to happen very soon, it will more than double the number of americans who live in a state where gay people share in the freedom to marry. we're going to go from 16 million in this country to 35 million. so that's in and of itself significant to families and loved ones who are eager to celebrate and solidify the love and commitment that bring people into marriage. but beyond that, this is new york. new york is a global face of america. new york sends a message. new york is going to be giving the rest of the country and indeed the world a chance to really see that when marriage discrimination ends, families are helped and no one's hurt. with all the power that new york brings. >> so your hope is, if it happens here, because so many more people will have that freedom to marry, that right to
11:26 pm
marry, that those who oppose it currently will see that their marriages aren't affected, their lives aren't affected, nothing really changes? >> that's exactly right. as jeff said that's exactly what we've seen in other states. when people see it for real, not just in scary ads, they realize actually it takes nothing away from my family for the family across the street to be stronger and better off. that's why actually now six polls have shown that a majority in this country do support the freedom to marry. >> evan wilson, we'll talk to you in the coming days. jeff toobin as well. breaks news in the casey anthony trial. casey anthony's parents do not think they're innocent. but they are in the courtroom every day supporting their daughter. mexican authorities say this is essentially the end of one of the country's most violent drug cartels. next. okay, team! after age 40, we can start losing muscle --
11:27 pm
8% every 10 years. wow. wow. but you can help fight muscle loss with exercise and ensure muscle health. i've got revigor. what's revigor? it's the amino acid metabolite, hmb to help rebuild muscle and strength naturally lost over time. [ female announcer ] ensure muscle health has revigor and protein to help protect, preserve, and promote muscle health. keeps you from getting soft. [ major nutrition ] ensure. nutrition in charge!
11:28 pm
now,listen to a magazine,aper, curl up with a movie, and see a phone call. now, we can take a classroom anywhere, hold an entire bookstore, and touch the stars. because now...there's this.
11:29 pm
11:30 pm
no matter when you get around to booking, hotels.com will have a great last minute deal waiting for you. like at the hotels.com 48 hour sale. this tuesday and wednesday only. hotels.com. be smart. book smart. coming up, breaking news in the casey anthony trial. george and cindy anthony do not think their daughter's innocent according to her lawyer. but do they want casey to get the death penalty? we'll have the answer to that as well. first randi kaye.
11:31 pm
>> reporter: anderson, authorities in mexico have captured the top leader of one of the country's most violent drug cartels. jose de jesus mendez is the head of the la familia cartel. mexico's national security spokesman says his arrest will effectively shut down the cartel. dunn was drunk and driving up to 140 miles per hour before crashing his car. the star of the mtv's jacks was driving and died along with his passenger. his blood-alcohol concentration was more than twice the legal limit. the federal reserve has pulled back on its forecast for growth of the economy. he says the gross domestic product will rise no more than 2.9% this year down from an april estimate up to 3.3%. there's an uproar in boston over nike's new campaign featuring t-shirts with pictures of pills and slogans like "get high" and "dope". boston's mayor wants nike to take down a display in a city
11:32 pm
storefront. nike says the campaign is about action sports and doesn't substances more in tonight's substances more in tonight's breaking news in the trial of casey anthony. we now know her parents don't think their daughter is innocent. our gary tuchman learned that tonight. that's not all he uncovered today. in his exclusive interview with her attorney, do you think she should get the death penalty. he joins us ahead about the answer what casey's parents think. plus southwest airlines crash lands on the ridiculist after a pilot's rant about flight attendants is caught on an open mike. we'll explain ahead. [ male announcer ] built like a volkswagen. the 2011 tiguan.
11:33 pm
[ grunts ] two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy. now,listen to a magazine,aper, that's good for our country's energy security curl up with a movie, and see a phone call. now, we can take a classroom anywhere, hold an entire bookstore, and touch the stars.
11:34 pm
because now...there's this. with new extra-strength bayer advanced aspirin. it has microparticles, enters the bloodstream faster and rushes relief to the site of pain. it's clinically proven to relieve pain twice as fast. new bayer advanced aspirin.
11:35 pm
11:36 pm
in crime and punishment, breaking news in the casey anthony trial. a 360 exclusive. today the lawyer for george and cindy anthony told us the anthonys do not believe their daughter is innocent. now, the anthonys have been in the courtroom for virtually all the testimony, much of it pretty gruesome, supporting casey who's charged with murdering her 2-year-old daughter caylee. at one point cindy even whispers to casey i love you. george anthony brings a badge with caylee's picture on it every day. they have said they want justice for their granddaughter who would have turned six this august.
11:37 pm
gary tuchman joins me again. gary, we haven't known what the anthonys have felt about whether or not casey is guilty or not. you've learned exclusively some information. what did you learn and how did you hear it? >> reporter: well, they've kept it very private. today i talk today their family attorney mark litman. he hasn't wanted to talk about that citing attorney-client privilege. i explained to him we don't want to sensationalize this. but there's a big question. george could be in a lot of trouble if the jury ultimately believes what the defense is saying that child accidentally drowned and george had something to do with disposing of the child's body. mark litman has told me this. i asked him a very specific questions i said do your clients think that she is not guilty? and his answer was, they do not think that. he said they want to see justice done. they want to see the truth come out. and then he added to me, he said, they do not believe she is innocent. that being said, okay? this is very important.
11:38 pm
he wanted me to stress this and it's important that i do stress this. they love her, they support her, and they do not want her to get the death penalty. they will do all they can to avoid her getting the death penalty in this case. so that's what we found out. they do not believe george and cindy anthony, that their daughter casey is innocent in regards to the death of their granddaughter caylee. now, in the 25th day of testimony today, we expect after this opening statement in which they said it was an accidental drowning and that george had something to do with disposing of the body, we expected to hear evidence about that. but that still hasn't happened. one week after the defense began its case. >> reporter: casey anthony is often very expressive with her attorneys before the jury walks. in but once the jurors arrive she puts on a poker face. her attorney jose baez has his own routine every day when the trial begins. he tries to turn on the charm. >> good morning, ladies and gentlemen. >> reporter: and he waits until the jury says it back. then he launches his effort to help save casey anthony's life.
11:39 pm
>> can you tell the ladies and gentlemen of the jury what you tested, where it came from, and what your results were? >> do you recall receiving items of evidence to test? >> sir, i'd like to direct you to your -- a report you did in this case. >> reporter: almost a week into casey anthony's defense case, jose baez has yet to explain his shocking allegations against casey's father george that he is sexually abused casey for years. instead he's presented a forensic case just like the prosecution did. regarding possible decomposition in the trunk of casey's car, a scientist testifying for the defense said after testing the car trunk -- >> i cannot conclusively determine that those -- the presence of those compounds indicated that there had been human remains in the trunk of the car. >> reporter: but two weeks ago, jurors heard this from a prosecution scientist who said he believes there was a dead body in the trunk. >> i can find no other plausible explanation other than that to explain all the results we found. >> reporter: today's defense witness said he did detect
11:40 pm
chloroform in the car, which the prosecution believes was used to poison caylee. but he said it was a very small amount. >> the main thing that was there was gasoline. >> the predominant profile was associated with or identified as gasoline. >> reporter: but there was earlier prosecution testimony in the case that "shockingly high amounts of chloroform were found". particularly on fibers in the trunk liner and spare tire cover. so today the prosecution got the scientist testifying for the defense to acknowledge this. >> so your air sample would have been from the trunk four days after the trunk liner and the spare tire cover had already been removed. >> if in fact it was removed on the 17th as the evidence shows. >> that would be correct. >> reporter: the conflivting evidence from the trunk could be confusing to jurors. but defense attorneys have yet to make headway with something much more basic and potentially troubling for the defense. and that is five different people, casey's father, two police officers, one scientist
11:41 pm
and one tow truck driver, have testified they smelled the distinct odor of a dead body in that trunk. but the defense still has days of testimony left. the judge has told casey anthony's attorneys they need to tell him by friday how much more time they need. >> so gary, yesterday we learned the defense may call a woman who said she had an affair with george anthony and that he had told her caylee's death was some sort of accident. what's the reaction of george and cindy anthony to this? >> okay. i did talk to mark litman the family attorney about that, too, george and cindy's attorney. he tells me that george and cindy believe it crystal holloway is "disturbed". totally denies the affair. they say they know crystal holloway because she was one of the volunteers looking for caylee's body, but they say none of this is true, that she is disturbed and they are very unhappy that she's come forward claiming this. >> also, it is a telling point that apparently she said to police that she did not have an affair with george anthony, but she did say to the national
11:42 pm
enquirer, which i'm guessing paid her -- or maybe they didn't even need to pay her -- but she told the national enquirer they did have an affair that. certainly speaks to her credibility. >> right. and that's something the attorneys cited, too. she told police one thing, she told the national enquirer something else. but either way he stressed to me, they feel she is truly disturbed. that's their allegation. >> yeah. all right, good to know. gary, appreciate it. a lot more forensic testimony today plus the bombshell from george and cindy anthony's lawyer. joining me now jean kazarae and dr. michael hunter, chief medical examiner in panama city, florida. jean, what do you make of what gary tuck man is reporting tonight that anthony's attorney told him that they do not believe their daughter casey is innocent? >> well, i think what your stellar correspondent gained is think is huge. i guess my question is guilty of what because he did not say that. another thing that strikes me as an attorney is the attorney-client privilege. because mark litman and his client do have that attorney-client privilege.
11:43 pm
they hold the privilege, though. and if they allow it to be waived it can be. and this was told on the record. but i think this is huge. and anderson, i have confirmed with my sources close to the defense that cindy anthony will be called to the stand tomorrow. and so i think this is a critical witness for the prosecution, but the defense may try to make her into their witness to actually help casey who we now know they believe is guilty of something. >> so that's interesting to hear that she's going to be called to the stand tomorrow do. we know what she's or what the defense is hoping she's going to say? >> i think they're going to look for things in her deposition that was done several years ago when she was really, really siding with her daughter. i think what we need to look for are those computer searches. because they were done at the home on chloroform, how to make chloroform, and could someone other than casey have admitted back then that they did those searches on the family computer?
11:44 pm
>> there was also, jean, conflicting evidence entered today about the trunk and the presence of chloroform. how does that work in the defense's strategy? >> this is getting very confusing, right? this is the whole point of the defense. they want to raise the reasonable doubt. and so the expert that took the stand today from the university of florida said that he did an air sample testing and found basically the chemicals of gasoline in that trunk, although he did say three other chemicals he found were also found in decomposition but at very, very low levels. then you have cross-examination by jeff ashton who says wait a minute. the trunk liner and spare tire cover had already been removed. anderson, we know that fibers inside that carpet sample, that's what held the majority of the chloroform. >> yeah. and dr. hunter, so as jean just said this defense witness was casting doubt on the prosecution's witness who claimed there had been abundance of chloroform, unusually high levels, shockingly high levels of chloroform in the trunk of
11:45 pm
casey's car. what did you make of his testimony? >> well, i mean, the testimony today, it's sampling error. the reason why he's not getting that high level of that was testified to earlier is because the specimen that you want to have to test is going to be that saturated mat. it's not even in the vehicle when he takes his air sample. it's just simple error for sampling. and i think that easily explains why there's a discrepancy there. and it's up to the prosecution to come at that and explain it to the jury so they have a good understanding of what's going on with that. >> jean, the defense also introduced a gate of aid bottom well a syringe that was found at the crime scene into evidence today. is this -- do we know does it have any actual relation to the case? or are they just kind of again throwing up whatever might stick? >> you know, the prosecution sure didn't enter it into evidence. and anderson, it was found so close to the skull of caylee anthony. it was a gatorade bottle filled with liquid. there was a syringe.
11:46 pm
the majority was testosterone in miniscule amounts of chloroform. what the defense was able to bring out was that it smelled like a cleaning fluid, and that cleaning fluid can contain chloroform. but fact is it was a syringe. what is injected into someone. but they're trying to but they're trying to dissociate casey because her prints weren't found on it, nothing shows that she possessed that. >> dr. hunter, forensic toxicologist who tested caylee's hair mass for 11 drugs, the results were all negative but they didn't test for the presence of chloroform. how conclusive is hair testing? >> >> hair testing is a terrible toxicology specimen post mortem. it tells you absolutely nothing about what was in her system at the time that she died. where it's useful is asking the question, has there been exposure for this child with a drug in the past? and i'm sure that's the reason why it was tested. trying to answer yes, there is a
11:47 pm
drug identified, if there was a positive test then that would have been very powerful. a negative test really doesn't tell you much at all. it certainly doesn't say that she hasn't been exposed in the past. but the defense is certainly trying to infer that i think with how they approach it. >> and jean, you were critical of the defense's performance yesterday. do you think they did a better job today? i mean, at some point do we know are they going to start to try to introduce evidence that -- which according to their whole defense strategy, caylee drowned? or evidence of sexual abuse which again was in their opening statement? >> they haven't gone to their personal witnesses yet. so if cindy's going to be called tomorrow at some point, that could be the beginning of the personal witnesses. but today was all about reasonable doubt. and today was all about distancing casey, excluding casey from the crime scene. because none of her hairs were found on the remains or the blanket or the trash bag. 22 pairs of shoes of hers were tested. there was no soil associated with the crime scene. the defense is trying to show
11:48 pm
that so one juror will say, wait a minute. you can't connect casey with that. that's what the defense needs. >> fascinating testimony because as we saw cindy anthony the last time she was on the stand when she got off it seemed like she whispered to casey "i love you". and jean as i remember casey kind of turned away from that. >> that's right. and because of the camera we can see that. she sort of had a half smile on her face but her eyes showed, okay, all right. and then she turned away. you're right. >> interesting day tomorrow, no doubt. dr. michael hunter, appreciate it. jean cazarek, thanks.bi tion of at&t and t-mobile would deliver our next generation mobile broadband experience to 55 million more americans, many in small towns and rural communities, giving them a new choice. we'll deliver better service, with thousands of new cell sites... for greater access to all the things you want, whenever you want them. it's the at&t network... and what's possible in here is almost impossible to say.
11:49 pm
i knew for years before i quit that i needed to quit, and i went online to find a way. ♪ chantix -- it's a non-nicotine pill. i didn't want nicotine to give up nicotine. while you're taking the medication, for the first week, you can go ahead and smoke. [ male announcer ] prescription chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. [ mike ] when i was taking the chantix, it reduced the urge to smoke. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior,
11:50 pm
thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these symptoms or behaviors, stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop serious allergic or skin reactions, stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away, as some of these can be life-threatening. dosing may be different if you have kidney problems. until you know how chantix affects you, use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping, and unusual dreams. ♪ it feels wonderful. i don't smoke. i don't smoke. [ male announcer ] talk to your doctor to find out if chantix is right for you. learn about the chantix challenge. chantix may not work for everyone. if you aren't quit after 12 weeks, we'll refund your cost of trying it. learn more at chantix.com.
11:51 pm
twenty-five thousand mornings, give or take, is all we humans get. we spend them on treadmills. we spend them in traffic. and if we get lucky, really lucky, it dawns on us to go spend them in a world where a simple sunrise can still be magic. twenty-five thousand mornings. make sure some of them are pure michigan. your trip begins at michigan.org. like it or not, it's a part of life. mayhem doesn't announce itself. it doesn't call ahead. mayhem doesn't care if you're on vacation or just remodeled your kitchen or just said "i do." and though mayhem may be a part of life, with an allstate agent, you don't have to live through it alone. are you in good hands?
11:52 pm
well, tonight we're adding southwest airlines. why? because a southwest pilot recently brought it to our attention that quality of flight attendants on the airline is in his opinion, well, kind of lacking. by quality he doesn't mean their professionalism with you they have or safety training which they have or how they treat passengers which is good. oh, no. this pilot is talking strictly about the durth of flight attendants who are suitable sex partners for him. his mike was open during a flight and this guy would just not shut up. >> well, but i had tucson to indy all four weeks. and chicago crews. eleven out of 12, there's 12 flight attendants, individuals,
11:53 pm
never the same flight attendants twice. eleven [ bleep ] over the top blz blz homosexuals and a granny. eleven. i mean, think of the odds of that. i thought i was in chicago which was party land. after that it was just -- a continuous stream of gays and grannies and grandes. >> gays and grannies and grandes what a charmer this guy is. i take is a grandes would be a flight attendant who doesn't measure up to captain integrity's standards of slimness in how does he work under all these people with gay and older people and overweight flight attendants running around who's he supposed to go out drinking with between flights? >> so six months i went to the bar three times. in six months, three times. >> six months, just three times. unacceptable. why else did this guy become a pilot if it wasn't to hit on flight attendants? listen, airlines, i fly a lot
11:54 pm
and i want my pilots happy. i'm putting my life if their hands so i definitely want them to be out drinking in bars as much as possible. how is this guy supposed to do that if you don't provide him with an adequate supply of young attractive female coworkers he can hit on and even pressure into sleeping with in a drunken night of shame-based loving? who did he go out with these three times? >> once with a granny and i wish i hadn't gone. at the very end with two girls, one of them that was probably doable. >> this guy loves his anti-gay slurs. does he kiss his mirror with that mouth? i bet he does. things seemed to be looking up. just when i was going to start a telethon for this pilot he found one quote unquote girl who was probably doable. let's hear how it went. >> one of them that was probably doable, but we ended up going to the bar and then to the crew room in st. louis and all these two women wanted to do was one wanted to berate her sister and
11:55 pm
the other to witch about her husband. literally. for three hours. when that was done, 2:30 got back to my room i'm like why the [ bleep ] did i stay up? >> whoever's transmitting better watch what you're saying. >> that was the air traffic controller stepping in to let other guy in the sky know everyone on that frequency could hear him. so that definitely shut him up. oh, that didn't shut him up. >> i still wouldn't want anyone to know that i had banged them. it was a complete disaster for six months. now i'm back in houston which is easily one of the ugliest bases. i mean it's all these [ bleep ] old dudes and grannies and there's like maybe a handful of cute chicks. >> congratulations, flight attendants in texas. you've just been deemed among the ugliest by the world's most discerning pilot. how did southwest handle the situation? well, the pilot was reprimanded and sent to diversity training. he was also suspended without pay for some undisclosed amount of time. but this happened in march and he's already back to work. so the next time you're in
11:56 pm
southwest airlines feel free to say hi to the pilot but only if you're hot and not a dude. because even though he keeps talking about dudes he's definitely not into dudes, just hot chicks. we need to keep this guy happy. so southwest airlines, would it kill you to go to hooters and maybe recruit some new flight attendants for this guy? they have wings there. i know flight attendants are there for our safety and i appreciate them just as they are. but the pilot is the captain of the ship. if this guy's work environment doesn't get a little more girls gone wild he won't have anyone to get drunk with and hit on and he'll be all alone circling endlessly on the ridiculist. sweetie i think you need a little extra fiber in your diet.
11:57 pm
carol. fiber makes me sad. oh common. and how can you talk to me about fiber while you are eating a candy bar? you enjoy that. i am. [ male announcer ] fiber beyond recognition. fiber one.
11:58 pm
on our car insurance. great! at progressive, you can compare rates side by side, so you get the same coverage, often for less. wow! that is huge! [ disco playing ] and this is to remind you that you could save hundreds! yeah, that'll certainly stick with me. we'll take it. go, big money! i mean, go. it's your break, honey. same coverage, more savings. now, that's progressive. call or click today. ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪ ♪ you love money ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪ ♪ i work so hard at my job ♪ and then i bring it home to you ♪ ♪ i love money in my pocket
11:59 pm