Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  May 4, 2012 8:00am-10:00am PDT

8:00 am
hello everyone i'm kyra phillips, 11:00 on the east coast. a number of live events taking place. president obama on his way to washington lee high school right there in arlington, virginia talking about the high cost of
8:01 am
college and the need to head off a spike in student loan interest rates. we'll take the president as soon as he steps up to the mike. we are watching an animal preserve in ohio. two leopards, two monkeys and a bear will be returned to the widow of the man who turned his pets loose before taking his own life. sanford, florida has a new police chief. we're watching the live pictures from there. richard meyers is being introduced at a news conference, all three stories happening right now, we have them covered we'll bring you the latest as they happen. we're also hearing from the escort who exposed a big fat secret at the secret service. dania gives an interview about her infamously ly iason. >> my friends nor i we didn't know they were agents, you know, obama's agents for, you know, and then we left and we went to
8:02 am
this place to buy condoms. and then we went to the hotel. who went? well, my friend, well, wait, she is not a friend, acquaintance, and the agent who was with me and the other one. the four of us. and then my friend, went with him because she liked him. no, i don't understand. because she liked him, it wasn't the same thing i was doing. >> so salacious. athena jones monitoring it from the white house. what is the reaction? >> reporter: when ask the white house they sent us to the secret service. they have no comment on this at this moment in time. one thing i should mention, barbara starr learned the investigation of the 12 members of the military who were part of this whole incident who were said to be part of the whole
8:03 am
incident will be completed today and that investigation, that report will be forwarded on to the southcom commander, general douglas frazier, that is the latest. no, secret service not commenting. was interesting to watch the woman dania suarez, seemed giggley, full of laughs, quite pleased to have become a local celebrity. how she had gotten in the business of being an escort, as she calls it, how the business deal came down that day. let's listen to that sound. >> truth is, it was a day like any, i wasn't looking for anybody. i was -- i wasn't walking the streets of cartagena or anything like. that i was with my friends, just having a drink, just four friends. and one of them, well, she met a man, one of them, we didn't know
8:04 am
who they were. in a bar, yes, in a bar, just in a bar in cartagena. it was a normal bar, my friend was there, this man came by and he asked us what we want to drink and she said vodka, she wanted to drink vodka, so we had first bottle of vodka, then the second bottle vodka, and then one of the men asked me, he says that i look very attractive, that i'm very beautiful, and he asked me if i wanted to go out with him and i said yes, i can go out with you, but i want a little gift. i mean i didn't say how much, we just danced, had drinks and one other time he wanted to leave i told him well, dear, you have to give me $800, that is the gift that i want so i can go with you and he said okay, baby, let's go. >> and so there you have it. the way she says it went down.
8:05 am
the next morning when she asked to be paid, she and the agent got in an argument. the agent swore at her and said leave, used an expletive, she didn't want to leave and so she argued from about 6:30 a.m. until almost 10:00 to get the money, she got $250 to leave, much less than the 800 she said she paid for. little interesting details coming out from this woman, kyra. >> hard to turn away, we'll follow the investigations as well, athena jones, thanks. jobs and up employ crucial in an election year. christine romans, let's start with the numbers. >> reporter: hi there, good morning, kyra. the numbers are 115,000 jobs created in the period, that is less than people thought. economists thought 160, that is not enough job creation to absorb the new immigrants, people out of college and entrance in the workforce. bit of a disappointmen. unemployment rate dropped to
8:06 am
8.1%, likely, kyra, because people were dropping out of the workforce. overall you have 12.5 million people unemployed, of the unemployed, 41% have been un unemployed for six months or honker. >> do we have time for one more question? i wasn't understanding what i was hearing. if i was getting the wrap or another moment. >> are you hearing those voices? >> i'm hearing voices in my head. i'm fascinated by the numbers, where can you get the jobs for all the people that e-mail us and say hey, okay you say things are sort of looking good, looking better, tell me where to find the jobs. >> reporter: it depends where you live and where you're looking. you saw leisure and hospitality, 12,000 jobs created. these are likely lower wage jobs, which goes to the core of the conversation whether we're creating jobs people can go to college on, they can save for retirement on. health care jobs, 19,000 jobs
8:07 am
created in health care, this is a consistent grower in the economy overall, and retail jobs, 29,000, you remember last month when i told you we had a big drop in retail jobs? they came back, 29,000 jobs in retail and business and professional services likely to be higher wage jobs, 62,000 jobs created there. lost jobs in the government. that continues, losing government jobs, the private sector growing slowly but the government cutting jobs, kyra. >> christine romans in new york, thanks. president obama is expected to comment on the jobs numbers, live pictures now he's going to address the washington lee high school in arlington, virginia coming up. keep it tuned in to cnn we'll bring it to you live when it happens. >> a band member charged in the ha hazing death, robert champion, facing new charges for a second hazing. george howell live with the details usiness...
8:08 am
protect your family... and launch your dreams. at legalzoom.com, we put the law on your side. . carfirmation. only hertz gives you a carfirmation. hey, this is challenger. i'll be waiting for you in stall 5. it confirms your reservation and the location your car is in, the moment you land. it's just another way you'll be traveling at the speed of hertz. with the bankamericard cash rewards credit card, we earn more cash back for the things we buy most.
8:09 am
1% cash back everywhere, every time. 2% on groceries. 3% on gas. automatically. no hoops to jump through. no annual fee. that's 1% back on... wow! 2% on my homemade lasagna. 3% back on [ friends ] road trip!!!!!!!!!!!! [ male announcer ] get 1-2-3 percent cash back. apply online or at a bank of america near you. ♪ woman: what do you mean, homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods? [ heart rate increases ] man: a few inches of water caused all this? [ heart rate increases ] woman #2: but i don't even live near the water. what you don't know about flood insurance may shock you -- including the fact that a preferred risk policy starts as low as $129 a year. for an agent, call the number that appears on your screen.
8:10 am
new details about the florida band members who face hazing charges for the death of robert champion. 13 face felony charges. more than half of them turned themselves in. we're learning that already some of them have gotten out of jail. and better yet, famu is feeling the heat as champion's parents are taking on the university, right now pushing to put an end to the famed marching 100 band. >> that is a big deal. >> this is a very well-known program, could it go away? >> well, the family at this
8:11 am
point says look, they have to clean house, from top to bottom, given what happened to their son, they want to see changes happen, changes within the culture of that band, the culture of hazing. as the family describes it and kyra, so far we know that five of those eight people who were taken in custody, five of those people have bonded out of jail. remember, the bond set for felony hazing is $15,000, post 10%, $1500 you can get out of jail. one person who h is still in custody i want to talk about. aaron goldson, was charged in a different hazing case, this is a hazing case of bria hunter, happened weeks before robert champion was killed. and golson according to the police report, was beat hunter so severely it cracked her femur left her with blood clots in her leg. >> why was he still in the band? >> at this point we know the fdle, florida department of law
8:12 am
enforcement asked the university not to levy discipline until the investigation finished. that could be one reason that he was still on campus, if he was on campus, but now we know he is in custody along with other people connected to this robber champion. >> the parents say this happened before, was there a cover-up involved, was there a conscious effort to keep this under wraps? and could their son have been saved if these members were held accountable? >> that's the thing. yesterday they held a news conference and spoke publicly on this, keep in mind they did their own investigation for a lifl lawsuit and through the course of that investigation, they talked to people and they came to the conclusion that some of these band members, some of the people we're seeing in custody, may have been coached by alumni to cover this up, to say certain things, to have the same story. take a listen to this clip from
8:13 am
pam champion outraged at this possibility. >> these people murdered my son on that bus, and for them to turn around and deny run, scatter, hide and say people this is what you need to do to make sure you don't, that's wrong. that is so wrong, to know that people would do that to another human being, that people would even conspire to do something like that. so my opinion of those kind of people is again what i said many, many times we have to examine the people mindset. those mindsets, you have to do clean house. >> clean house, that is what she wants to see. famu band, nicknamed the best band in the land, she wants them disbanded until things change. we heard from famu, the band will stay on indefinite suspension, the university making the point it wants to and
8:14 am
will eradicate hazing altogether. >> jor george, thanks. the surviving leopards, monkeys and bear are returning home. jason carroll live near the farm.
8:15 am
8:16 am
he released dozens of wild creatures from his farm and took his own life. five of terry thompson's pets are being returned to his widow in ohio. just before he died by suicide, he released about 50 of his lions, tigers, bears, wolves and monkeys. triggering a massive search for his pets and investigation in his death. most of the animals were killed
8:17 am
by authorities but those that survived are returning home to the stump hill farm. neighbors have mixed feelings. >> well as long as she keeps them penned up it's okay in my opinion. >> as long as she can take care of them and they are healthy and taken care of that's fine. just not on the loose or be let out. >> jason carroll joins us live from zanesville, ohio. after a threat to the community, why is she getting them back? >> reporter: the short answer to that, kyra, is the law is on her side. and if the law had been written in such a way to help the folks at the columbus zoo, who wanted to keep the animals, perhaps zoo officials would have them, that is not the case. i'll talk more about that in a moment. first update you if i can in terms of what is happening with the animals. the trailer holding the animals is just leaving the columbus zoo. the animals were sedated and
8:18 am
woken up for their journey, an hour-and-a-half to where we are right now, we are hearing that the animals are expected to come to the thompson farm. if you look behind me you can see that is the thompson farm, those are cages, that is where the animals were kept before. we don't know, since marion thompson isn't speaking, if the animals, the five returned to her, will be housed in some of those cages that you see there, but you heard from the neighbors in this very rural community that are concerned about the animals coming back to the area. spoke to the sheriff's department about all this going on and they say they believe this time the animals will be well cared for. >> i know how devastated she was when we had to do what we did back in october and if there is anybody here that she doesn't want anything to happen to those animals, she cares about the animals. i'm sure she will go above and beyond to make sure they are safe and secure. >> reporter: basically what happened, kyra, the five animals
8:19 am
rescued from the scene back in october, put under state quarantine, they were under the protection of the columbus zoo. i spoke about the law here, the reality is the state of ohio has one of the least restrictive laws on the books in terms of animal ownership and so because the quarantine is over, marion thompson is the widow of terry thompson, she wanted the animals, back, the zoo had no right to keep them that is why they are being returned to marion thompson. >> what about the cages, have they been inspected? where neighbors can have confidence this won't be a threat? >> reporter: i'll tell you in terms of inspection, unless there has been a complaint, a specific complaint from a neighbor about seeing an animal, that has been abused, that is the only time you'll get someone from the humane society or sheriff's department to check on the condition of the cages, the
8:20 am
animals, et cetera. so, when these animals are returned this time, your question might be well is someone going to check on the animals a month from now, three months from now, the answer is no, not unless there is a formal complaint. >> jason carroll, in ohio, thanks jason. a mystery, scandal, a made for tv movie. drew peterson is back in court today facing trial for murder. [ male announcer ] you're at the age where you don't get thrown by curveballs. ♪ this is the age of knowing how to get things done. so, why let erectile dysfunction get in your way? talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing, upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing.
8:21 am
this is the age of taking action. viagra. talk to your doctor. used dishcloths. they can have a history that they drag around with them. try bounty extra soft. in this lab demo, one sheet of bounty extra soft leaves this surface 3 times cleaner than a dishcloth. the cleaner way to clean. bounty extra soft. i'm here to unleash my inner cowboy. instead i got heartburn. [ horse neighs ] hold up partner. prilosec isn't for fast relief. try alka-seltzer. it kills heartburn fast. yeehaw! i tell you what i can spend.
8:22 am
i do my best to make it work. i'm back on the road safely. and i saved you money on brakes. that's personal pricing.
8:23 am
been a mystery, scandal, made for tv movie staring rob lowe. >> results. autopsy came back, cause of death being accidental drowning. >> the untimel death of drew peterson's fourth wife has never been a trial. the former police officer from suburban chicago came under scrutiny in 2007 when his fourth
8:24 am
wife disappeared. sta stacy peterson hasn't been seen since. he hasn't been charge, is accuse of murdering kathleen savio whose death was ruled a drowning even though found in a dry bathtub. after stacy went missing, kathleen was exhumed, a second autopsy done the death reclassified, homicide. peterson has been in jail under $20 million bond for three years. he hasn't had a trial because of a court fight over incriminating statements from both wives. those are a big part of the prosecution's case but technically they are hearsay. peterson tried to keep them out. he cited his constitutional right to confront the witnesses against him. since kathleen is dead and stacy is missing, they can't be confronted. he can't help thinking of the kid who murders his parents and asks the judge for mercy because he's an orphan. a state appeals court didn't buy that argument, either.
8:25 am
right now a hearing is underway to iron out the details of a murder trial that could start in weeks. we'll keep you posted. since 2007, more than 10,000 refugees have settled in the san diego area. a lot from iraq. they came for a better life. but finding that american dream has been a bit of a challenge. but there is one man helping them adjust and stay motivated with soccer. meet this week's cnn hero. i dreamed the war was hard, the explosions, kidnappings, we wanted to come to the u.s. it was like a dream. >> the united states was the most refugees in the world, many from iraq and being resettled in san diego in large numbers. when they get here learning a new language, find employment. the struggle is just beginning. my family came from beirut, i
8:26 am
was 9 years old. working as a refugee case manager i saw kids idle, alienated, having a normal childhood is something they deserve. i'm mark kabban i use soccer to motivate refugees to succeed in the united states. an aword means lets go. we have 200 refugee youth, they came from africa, asia and middle east. families endured the same struggle. they become like brothers and sisters. >> 1, 2, 3. >> soccer is making them feel like they belong. and just fun. >> uses soccer as a hook and we have them in our education program. >> is that an s, no, a c. >> get them to college. >> they teach me how to speak english, it's a fun life.
8:27 am
>> the families have sacrificed everything for their kids to have a better life if we can do anything to help them it's my honor. >> you can nominate someone you think is going above and beyond for a cause at cnnheros.com. dimples, cottage cheese, you know what i'm talk about. cellulite. do not fear, because dr. gupta is here. he will tell us about a laser that will zap that stuff. immediately. (sfx: car garage sounds) today my journey brings me to charlotte, north carolina, where i spent the day with geico driver casey mears. i told him the secret to saving money on car insurance. he told me the secret to his car setup. first he adjusts... first he adjusts... (sfx:engine revving drowns out gecko's dialogue) then he... then he... fx:loud drilling noise continues to drown out gecko's dialogue) then he... .and a quarter cup of neapple juice. or was that the secret to his barbecue sauce?
8:28 am
hey, "secret" sauce. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
8:29 am
a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. and celebrex is not a narcotic. when it comes to relieving your arthritis pain, you and your doctor need to balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease
8:30 am
or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. we all hate it, okay? despite all the squats, diet, cellulite does not discriminate. as a matter of fact, 80% of us women have it. it's very annoying. but what if i told you that the
8:31 am
first fda approved long term treatment is on the market? an actual cellulite cure. here is somebody doesn't understand because he has none but he's a doctor and will tell us about us, dr. sanjay gupta. >> these are actually areas of fat that are protruding through the skin. >> reporter: cellulite, more than 80% of women develop it and spend millions of dollars on over the counter creams as a temporary fix. >> i have been working out my entire life. very athletic, have been forever, used to be in the military. i still have issues. >> reporter: so she chose to get cellulase, a fda approved procedure that targets cellulite under the skin. >> there are fibers in the fat that are actually pulling the skin down. and what we're going to do is going to release those fibers.
8:32 am
>> reporter: according to a small study of ten women, with one treatment, cellulite is gone and results last a year or more. the patient uses a local anesthetic, and is awake the entire time. >> you feel a little needle there. >> reporter: once numb, a laser is inserted under the skin. >> right this moment i'm melting the fat that is causing the bulges up in her skin. cellulite has bulges and dimples, the cottage cheese appearance everyone complains about. what i'm first doing is melting the bulges. all right, so we've done all of our green circled areas. now we're going to go after those things that are pulling down the skin. >> reporter: here what is cellulase looks like. first the laser goes in, melts the fat cells that cause bulges.
8:33 am
next it cut and vaporizes the fibers under the skin which cause the dimples. the laser heats the skin which allows new collagen to form. >> this is nothing somebody that happened overnight a. dynamic process and we get people who want the quick fix and we can't deliver that. >> reporter: can take three months after the procedure to see the full results. but too soon to say how long these results will last. >> that is what i wanted to ask you. the last line in the piece, right? i'm watching going does this work, how long does it last, give me the scoop. >> the study came out which prompted the fda approval, looked at a year long an had good results in terms of cellulite not coming back. we did our own investigation, talked to a woman in one of the early trials, now three years out, registered nurse, hasn't come back three years later. that is one person, that is
8:34 am
anecdotal, but the fda looked at this and the long term sort of effects. >> you know what i want to know. so many women, i've done it in the past, been a long time for me it didn't work, the creams, the scrub things, they all say it takes i way cellulite. >> having watched that piece you understand why a cream would not work. >> those creams do not work. >> what they tend to do is plump up your skin, give it increased blood flow you look like the skin is plumper, it's very temporary, not adirection the cellulitis. the puckering of the skin, the reason this works is it addresses the problem. >> how much is it? >> not cheap, you get a lot of things to risk and benefits, $2500 for a single area on both legs. if you're doing both front and
8:35 am
back, it can get up to $5000. >> a leg? >> you can do a single area on both legs for $2500. two areas a both legs, $5000. pricey. not cheap. >> thank you, sanjay. >> does that help in. >> i'm amazed the woman let you shoot video of her. she is a brave woman. she looked good with the cellulite. >> she didn't have much to complain about. >> exactly. >> she wanted people to see how it worked. >> made me cringe. former sanjay gupta md every saturday, and sundays, more on this procedure. an ex- marine tased then shot and killed by police after setting off his medical alert button. how a call for help went terribly wrong. hi, i'm new ensure clear. clear, huh? my nutritional standards are high. i'm not juice or fancy water, i'm different.
8:36 am
i've got nine grams of protein. twist my lid. that's three times more than me! twenty-one vitamins and minerals and zero fat! hmmm. you'll bring a lot to the party. [ all ] yay! [ female announcer ] new ensure clear. nine grams protein. zero fat. twenty-one vitamins and minerals. in blueberry/pomegranate and peach. refreshing nutrition in charge! in blueberry/pomegranate and peach. [siri] cit's off your calendar. good, 'cause it's date night. find me a store that sells organic mushrooms for my risotto. [siri] this organic market looks pretty close to you. how many ounces in a cup? [siri] this might answer your question. oh, i knew that. and remind me in an hour to put the gazpacho on ice. [siri] here's your reminder. shall i create it? yeah...unless you like hotspacho. siri? [siri] sam. you can take the night off. [siri] if you say so.
8:37 am
8:38 am
the controversy surrounding trayvon martin death isn't going away. the town of sanford, florida has a new cop cop now. today richard meyers first day on the job as interim police chief for the sanford police department, meyers is the former police chief in colorado springs, and introduced himself at a news conference just a short time ago. he replaces former chief bill lee, who was forced to step aside after the department came under extreme fire for the handling of trayvon martin's case. lee remains on paid administrative leave, as the new chief steps in. the son of an elderly veteran whom police shot to death said he's sad but not surprised the officers involved will not face criminal charges.
8:39 am
here is what happened in white plains last november. 68-year-old kenneth chamberlain had accidentally set off his medical alert device, but when police and paramedics showed up, he very much did not want help. >> i'm okay. >> i need to see that you're okay and then we'll go. >> no, you leave. >> can't leave many. >> you leave. >> you called us, i can't leave>> you leave. >> i'm okay. >> all right i need to see you. >> do you hear me loud and clear? >> i need to see you. >> i'm okay. >> the back and forth continued and chamberlane got more and more agitated. police fired a taser. now it's hard to see but when that didn't work, the police then fired bean bags, and then when chamberlane allegedly threatened police with a butcher knife, they fired real bullets.
8:40 am
yesterday prosecutors announced police won't be indicted, either. joining me on the phone is richard liebson, a reporter on the story for months. richard, is the case closed or is the family pressing on at this point? >> the family does say that they are pressing on. they told us yesterday that they plan to contact the u.s. attorney's office today, in fact, to ask that they review the case and in fact try to indict him at a federal level. they also have filed a notice of claim for civil lawsuit which they say they will expedite. we expect to see the lawsuit be filed very soon. >> so a couple questions. first of all the cops, what were you able to find out about them, did they have a history of any kind of odd behavior or incidents? >> there have been allegations, there are i believe now it's
8:41 am
two, there were three lawsuits -- filed against three of the officers in separate cases alleging police brutality. one of the officers was acquitted just the day before yesterday in the case against him. and there are two others that are still pending, to be honest i don't know a lot about those, i don't normally cover the federal courts, there are two cases pending. >> not just one, but more than one. that is interesting. when you listen to the recording, and how do i say it respectfully. mr. chamberlane sounded belligerent, sounds like confusion on whether something was wrong or there was an issue, a bigger issue, what is your take? >> from what i understand, he did have a history of some lack of a better word, emotionally
8:42 am
disturbed persons episodes. had a few arguments with neighbors. a number of noise complaints, and he did have somewhat of a criminal history i'm just starting to learn. he had a few incidents in his past that we're pursuing right now. >> was he wanted for any crime? >> not at all. if you listen to the tapes he's agitate and upset and does threaten to kill police officers. he does say on the tape that he does have a weapon. obviously it was a tense situation that seemed to escalate. >> richard liebson, reporter for white plains news, thanks. president obama is courting young voters in virginia right now. talking affordable higher can he win them all back? we're checking in. ]h(éq#ñ$ i love cash back.
8:43 am
with the bankamericard cash rewards credit card, we earn more cash back for the things we buy most. 1% cash back everywhere, every time. 2% on groceries. 3% on gas. automatically. no hoops to jump through. no annual fee. that's 1% back on... wow! 2% on my homemade lasagna. 3% back on [ friends ] road trip!!!!!!!!!!!! [ male announcer ] get 1-2-3 percent cash back. apply online or at a bank of america near you. ♪ apply online or at a bank of america near you. (spoken in mandarin) i've still got hours of battery life. it's an ultrabook.
8:44 am
you bring great shame upon this coffee hut. with a long-lasting ultrabook, everything else seems old fashioned. ultrabook. inspired by intel. the teacher that comes to mind for me is my high school math teacher, dr. gilmore.
8:45 am
i mean he could teach. he was there for us, even if we needed him in college. you could call him, you had his phone number. he was just focused on making sure we were gonna be successful. he would never give up on any of us. live pictures now waiting for residential event. this is washington lee high school in virginia. the president trying to woo the youth power, we're talking about high school students and also
8:46 am
all peeps under the age of 30 they overwhelmingly voted for the president four years ago. and they could again play a crucial role in this election. so the president is courting them, at that dc school. here is the question, will they vote for him again? it's fair game. robert zimmerman, crystal wright, robert, is this enough? >> it's the beginning. i think it's so important to remember even though the polls show young people overwhelmingly support president obama's reelection it's determined by turnout. these appearances are critical not just to make it clear to high school students who are not voting age, that they have not only to vote but they have to knock on doors, because they have skin in the game. that is why the president's appearance is so important because while he's advocating keeping interest rates at 3.4% the ryan plan calls for doubling
8:47 am
the rates on student loans, $1000 a year more. >> crystal, who will get the youth vote? >> i'm afraid it won't be obama. robert is absolutely wrong, it's the beginning of the end for the relationship between young people and the president. in 2008 he ran on promises of hopes and dreams and changing washington, as we know it and that has gone bust. it's blown up in smoke for young people. 50% of college graduates are under-employed or unemployed. 85% living with parents. tuition has gone up 25% at public universities, and all this tells us that things are bad for young people. young people are going to look at mitt romney and say he's a candidate of opportunity, he can give me a job so i can pay off my student loans and mom out of mom and dad's house. >> actually, crystal. >> excuse me robert. i didn't interrupt you. i want to make one final point.
8:48 am
i think what it shows the escalation of the student -- the price of colleges and universities shows us government needs to get out of student loans, it's one huge subsidy driving up colleges and universities, driving up the cost for young people. >> robert, quickly. i want to get on two other things. >> one fact check, mitt romney's definition of opportunity is telling young people to borrow $20,000 from their parents and start a business. that isn't exactly a plan young people can count on to build. >> that is julia. >> foreign policy, obama's press secretary jay carney telling a reporter this about syrian students firing on peaceful protesters. >> if the regime continues the international community will have to admit defeat and work to address the serious threat to peace and stability being perpetrated by the assad regime.
8:49 am
>> crystal, was he giving up on syria? >> it sounds like it, kyra. it sounds like when you look at the president's foreign policy approach, unlike what vice president biden said, he doesn't govern with a big stick, he looks at foreign policy with a twig. syria has been blowing up assad has conducted a bloody attack on his own people over 7000 syrians are dead, this has been going on for a year. the president and his secretary of state the entire administration has been very slow in condemning assad, that should have happened a year ago, calling for him to step aside. we saw this happen in egypt and libya. this president likes to sit on the sidelines, like hamlet, broad and think what he will do. brood. he'll talk about what is going on with mr. chen. we are a super power, what comes with being a summer power, the largest power in the world is we have to take a leadership role
8:50 am
and condemn countries when they act like thugs and commit atrosities on their own people. >> robert? >> kyra, i hope there would be some topics we would engage in that he would go beyond talking points or partisan rhetoric. president obama did call for assad's removal from his position and worked to forge an international coalition to bring it the go it alone strategy that george bush engaged in. it didn't work well for our country or engage in another military intervention. this president has shown not just military toughness, the al qaeda regime he's taken out proves it, a gadhafi's removal demonstrates it. he's shown the ability to engage in coalition building to begin to bring down the assad regime. if the kofi annan plan that the international community supports doesn't work, we'll find other strategies to work to bring peace and justice to the people of syria. >> all right, guys. i have about a minute so i'm going to turn the tables and have a little fun here, okay? the rivalry of expensive tastes.
8:51 am
i'm going to bring up two images, okay? we have ann romney in her $990 designer t-shirt, by the way. i had no idea t-shirts went for almost a grand. and, you know, they have been getting a lot of heat, the romneys for being rich and out of touch, okay? so there's one image there. and then in all fairness, guys, michelle obama talking a big game about buying clothes at target and j. crew, but unfortunately this pic was captured by "the huffington post" wearing $540 sneakers at a food bank in 2009. guys, what gives? robert, crystal, where do i begin? >> okay. i'll take it, robert, because i'm a lady and -- >> ladies first, but i want to get in on this. >> i know, i know. i think we'll probably agree on this i hope. i'm a fashionista, kyra. can't afford it really unless it goes on sale, but, you know,
8:52 am
what michelle obama has done -- look, she dresses well, she spends what we would all agree is a sizable amount of money on couture clothes. she stops at target once in a while and j. crew and so does ann romney. they both have the ability to dress well and she should dress well. they're political figures, and i say more power to you, ann and michelle, and if i could afford $1,000 bag that michelle obama was sporting last year, i would buy it. >> jump in, robert. $1,000 t-shirt and $540 tennis shoes. >> great for them. i think it's great that michelle obama looks as good as she does and dresses so stylishly. if you don't know where you can find $1,000 t-shirt, when you're in new york, you come hang with me. >> i was going to say, robert, you're going to take us both shopping. >> i will take you both to
8:53 am
target. zimmermanerma zimmerman zimmerman, wright, thanks, guys. bacteria in fresh cantaloupe. it killed 30 people, but drew griffin investigates and discovers it could have been prevented. er. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin® because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. love the air. [ sneezes ]
8:54 am
on the first day you take it. how did the nba become the hottest league on the planet? by building on the cisco intelligent network they're able to serve up live video, and instant replays, creating fans from berlin to beijing.
8:55 am
what can we help you build? nice shot kid. the nba around the world built by the only company that could. cisco. but proven technologies allow natural gas producers to supply affordable, cleaner energy, while protecting our environment. across america, these technologies protect air - by monitoring air quality and reducing emissions... ...protect water - through conservation and self-contained recycling systems... ... and protect land - by reducing our footprint and respecting wildlife. america's natural gas... domestic, abundant, clean energy to power our lives... that's smarter power today. you may remember that huge outbreak of bacteria tainted cantaloupe last september. more than 30 people died making it the most deadly food outbreak in nearly 100 years. as cnn's drew griffin found out,
8:56 am
it could have been prevented. >> reporter: we now know according to federal statistics the listeria outbreak last september was the most deadly food outbreak in the u.s. in nearly a century. one of the worst three outbreaks ever. nearly three dozen americans died. it should never have happened. last fall, as people began to die, to fall sick, investigators from the food and drug administration and the centers for disease control fanned out across two dozen states interviewing those falling ill or relatives of those who died. they took samples of blood and samples of fruit sill sittitill in refrigerators and the trail of evidence, the cantaloupes themselves, led to this row motor part of colorado, near the town of holly and one single farm, jensen's. dr. jim gorny was the fda's chief investigator on the case.
8:57 am
and you were able to go back to all these victim's families and they were told, look, cantaloupes grown on this particular small farm four hours southeast of denver is what caused the death of your loved one. >> yes. i mean, the evidence is very, very strong in this case. son-in-law of the strongest evidence i have ever seen. >> reporter: jensen farms has been a fixture in this part of colorado since the early 1900s when the first jensen arrived from denmark. since then this dry dirt has been passed from generation to generation. two years ago it went to eric and ryan jensen. they grew up growing cantaloupes, knew the business by heart, but last year they decided to make just a few changes. and it would cost them everything. >> what turned the operation upside down was some significant changes they made. it was a very tragic alignment of poor facility design, poor design of equipment, and very
8:58 am
unique post-harvest handling practices. if any of those things would have been prevented, this tragedy probably wouldn't have occurred. >> and, drew, we're going to have to step away. when is your piece airing? >> sunday. >> sunday, 8:00. you can get more on drew's piece and the fact this can happen again. i have to take you to the president of the united states talking jobs. better prices for college for these high school students there at arlington, virginia. let's listen in. >> that's in the short term, but in the long run the most important thing we can do for our economy is to give all of you and all americans the best education possible. that's the most important they can do. [ cheers and applause ] that means helping our schools hire and reward the best teachers, and you've got some
8:59 am
great teachers here. [ cheers and applause ] that means stepping up our focus on math and science, something i tell malia and sasha every day. your solid on math? okay. i like to hear that. that means giving more americans the chance to learn the skills that businesses are looking for right now, and in the 21st century it also means higher education cannot be a luxury. it is an economic imperative that every american should be able to afford. now, my grandfather had a chance to go to college because this country decided that every returning veteran of world war ii should be able to afford it, and on a bipartisan basis the gi
9:00 am
bill was created that allowed him to go to college. my mother was able to raise two kids by herself because she was also able to get grants and loans to work her way through school. michelle and i are only aware we are where we are because scholarships and loans gave us a shot at a great education. we didn't come from a wealthy background, but this country gave us a chance at a good education. this country has always made a commitment to put a good education within the reach of erveg w everybody who is willing to work for us. that's what makes us special. that's the kind of investment in our own people that helped us lead the world in business and science and technology and medicine. that's what made us an economic super power. but, unfortunately, since you guys were born, which doesn't seem that long ago to me, maybe
9:01 am
it does to you, the cost of going to college has more than doubled. and that means students have to take out more loans. it's now to the point where the average student who borrows to pay for college graduates with about $25,000 worth of debt. $25,000. and americans now more owe for their student loans than they do on their credit cards. now, i want to give you guys some relief from that debt. i don't want you to start off life saddled with debt. and i don't want your parents to be taking on so much debt as well. [ cheers and applause ] because when you start off already owing a lot of money graduating from school, it means making a lot of really tough choices like maybe waiting longer to buy a house or to start a family or to chase that career that you really want.
9:02 am
and like i said, michelle and i know about this. we graduated from college and law school with a truckload of student loan debt. we got married, and together we got poor. after we graduated we were lucky enough to land good jobs, so it was still a great investment for us to go to college and law school, but we only finished paying off our student loans about eight years ago. and i know some of your teachers here probably can relate. when we should have been starting to save up for malia and ka ssasha's college educati we were still paying off our educations. so we have to make college more affordable. that's why we fixed a broken student loan system that was giving tens of billions of dollars to big banks, and we said let's use that money to help more people afford college. that's why we strengthened aid
9:03 am
for low-income students. that's why we fought to set up a new independent consumer watch dog agency that's now working with every student and their parents to access a simple fact sheet on student loans and financial aid so you can make your own choices, the best choices about how to pay for college. we call it know before you owe. know before you owe. but making college more affordable isn't something government can or should do alone. i was mentioning to your classmates, we're talking to colleges and universities about doing their part. and i have told congress to steer federal aid to schools that keep tuition affordable and provide good value and serve their students well. if colleges and universities can't stop their costs from going up, then the funding they get from taxpayers, that should go down. we should steer it to the schools that are really giving students the best deal.
9:04 am
and states have to do their part by making higher education a higher priority in their budgets. last year over 40 states cut their higher education spending. these cuts have been among the largest drivers of public college tuition increases over the past decade. so we told states, if you can find new ways to bring down the cost of college, make it easier for students to graduate, then we're going to help you do it. which is good news. [ cheers and applause ] congress also has to do its part. [ cheers and applause ] right now that means preventing the interest rates on federal student loans from doubling, which would make it harder for you to pay for college next year. the three classmates of yours that i met, they're all getting stafford loans to help pay for
9:05 am
college, and these stafford loans right now have a very low interest rate because five years ago congress cut the rate for these student loans in half. that was a good idea. it made college more affordable. but here is the bad news. oh-oh. on july 1st, less than two months from now, that rate cut expires, and interest rates on those loans will double overnight. it's not good. for each year that college doesn't act, the average student with these stafford loans will rack up an additional $1,000 in debt. that's like $1,000 tax hike for more than 7 million students across america. now, let me ask, is that something that you can afford if you're going to college?
9:06 am
you guys shouldn't have to pay an extra $1,000 just because congress can't get its act together. this should be a no-brainer. this we need to get done. so the good news is the senate will vote next week on a bill that would keep student loan rates from doubling, and some republican senators look like they might support it. i'm ready to work with them to make it happen, but, unfortunately, rather than find a bipartisan way to fix this problem, the house republicans are saying they're only going to prevent these rates from doubling if they can cut things like preventative health care for women instead. so that's not good. we shuveouldn't have to choose between women having preventative health care and young people keeping their student loan rates low.
9:07 am
some of the republicans in the house are coming up with all sorts of different reasons why we should just let these rates double. one of them compared student loans to stage three cancer of socialism. whatever that means, i don't know. another warned that this is all about giving you a free college education, which doesn't make sense because, of course, loans aren't free. you have got to pay them back. the spokesman for the speaker of the house said that we were, meaning me, we're just talking about student loans to distract folks from the economy. now, this makes no sense because this is all about the economy. making sure -- [ cheers and applause ] making sure our young people can earn the best possible education. that's one of the best things we can do for the economy.
9:08 am
making sure college is available to everyone and not just a few at the top. that's one of the best things we can do for our economy. and i don't think it's fair when they suggest that students like you should pay more so we can bring down deficits that they helped to run up over the past decade. they just voted -- [ cheers and applause ] we've got to do something about our deficits. we paid for two wars with a credit card, debt that you're going to have to pay off. we gave two tax cuts to folks that don't need it and weren't asking for it. the republicans in the house just voted to keep giving billions of taxpayer dollars every year to big oil companies raking in big profits. they just voted to let millionaires and billionaires keep paying lower taxes.
9:09 am
and they want you to pay an extra $1,000 a year for college. no, no, that doesn't make sense. in america we admire success, we aspire to it. i was talking to folks. rena wants to study business, and i'm confident she's going to be really wealthy some day and, you know, we want all of you to work and hustle and study your tails off. >> president obama in a virginia school talking about student loans. meanwhile, mitt romney is going to be speaking at a cement company in pittsburgh. his event follows a private meeting with rick santorum who has yet to endorse romney. live from cnn headquarters in atlanta, i'm suzanne malveaux. i want to get you up to speed for this friday, may 4th. the unemployment rate fell last month. hold off on the celebrations. the number of jobs created was less than expected. it dropped because workers drops
9:10 am
out of the workforce. it dropped to 8.1%. christ teen r christine romans is going behind the numbers in a moment. and the prostitute behind the secret service scandal is speaking out. she's providing new details about the morning she got into an argument with one of the agents. >> translator: i told him to wake up and give me my gift i asked him for. and he says no. just go, i'm not going to pay you, and then he just -- he put out 50,000 pesos for the taxi, and i was like -- i was in shock in that moment when he just said that. nfl legend junior seau's brain will be studied for con curb concussion damage. these are exclusive pictures of seau at a charity government tournament just 36 hours before
9:11 am
he was found dead. the gunshot wound to the chest. here is a clip of what we believe to be his last interview. >> you know, it's fun to be in the position that we're in for kids that look up to us and for us to be able to give so much back. >> seau's good friend who was at the event described his mood that day. >> in a very good mood. he was light-hearted. as tim said, signing autographs surrounded by people. it was a flurry of activity as always followed junior. he's bigger than life. and his family now want to go to the united states so he can pursue his studies. >> it might be a break through for this man who was so vocal about stopping forced abortion and sterilization in china that the government threw him in prison. the chinese government says he
9:12 am
can apply to study abroad like any other citizen. according to the u.s. state department, he's been offered a university fellowship. so we told you the headlines from today's jobs report. unemployment rate dipped to 8.1% last month, but employers, they just added 115,000 jobs, which is actually fewer than expected. want to bring in christine romans who is going beyond the numbers here. christine, first of all, tell us what does it say overall about the state of the job market and the economy? how well are we doing? >> it still tells us we have 12.5 million people unemployed in this country, and you've got more than 5 million people who have been out of work for six months or longer. it shows you this intractable part of the labor market where people have been out and haven't been able to get their foot back in the door. so we're growing jobs, but not enough of them. that's basically the bottom line in the report. >> what kind of sectors actually added jobs in april? >> well, i can tell you that we
9:13 am
saw jobs growth in leisure and hospitality. like not a place where you will see high wage jobs. we saw retail jobs come back, 29,000 of those. again, those tend to be lower paid jobs. business and professional services was interesting, too. 62,000 jobs created there. those are higher wage jobs in general. wholesale trade and employment, about 7,000. and then transportation and warehousing, suzanne, is where we had a surprise loss in jobs, about 16,000 there. so government jobs we lost, the private sector overall creating 130,000 jobs in the private sector. >> christine, not surprising, politics playing into all of this. both sides offering their spin trying to get what they can out of the report. what have you heard? >> you know, there's something for both sides here as well. you do have, as mitt romney said, 39 months in a row, a record, of unemployment rate above 8%. that is true. you also have, as the president says, 26 months now in a row of
9:14 am
private sector job creation, more than 4.25 million jobs created in the past two years. that's true as well. overall, this is what the picture looks like, suzanne, since the last year of the bush administration. if you follow me here, every month i show you this, here is the big jobs disaster. all of those jobs lost. millions of jobs lost right here. and then this is what the political fight is about, suzanne. this fight over how durable the recovery, whether it should be doing better, and what kind of policies are either helping or holding back this jobs recovery. here are the last four months, you can see hiring has slowed a little bit. it is, again, still positive jobs hiring, but not really enough to signal a strong durable jobs recovery. >> christine, what's really important here, a lot of people trying to break apart these numbers, they're looking to see where do i fit into all of this. is there a breakdown by race here? any changes? >> there is. and the demographics here are pretty interesting to watch. there is something we've been
9:15 am
noticing over the past few months. when you look at a breakdown by race, 7.4% is the unemployment rate for white americans. 13% for african-americans. 10.3% for hispanics. this number for african-americans came down one full percentage point in the most recent month. over the past couple months and against last year, last year the unemployment rate for african-americans was 16%. so it's been trending slightly lower here. so as you've had this job creation, you have seen the unemployment rate for african-americans start to tick lower, but the structural part, and this is where the social scientists really jump into these numbers and what the recession has done to the labor market, the structural part of this, you still have big disparities here overall in the breakdown by demographic. here are men and women. 7.5% for men, 7.4% for women. >> pretty much equal. thank you very much. here is a rundown of some of
9:16 am
the stories we are working for. >> first, bill clinton desperate to find his daughter in the middle of a terrorist attack. mitt romney said yesterday it was a dark day for freedom. what he's saying on the campaign trail. and just wait until you hear this voice. ♪ >> she's a singer. i have been a fan for years. we'll talk to her live about her first new album in a decade. homicide of young people in america has an impact on all of us. how can we save these young people's lives? as a police chief, i have an opportunity to affect what happens in a major city. if you want to make a difference, you have to have the right education. university of phoenix opened the door. my name is james craig, i am committed to making a difference,
9:17 am
and i am a phoenix. visit phoenix.edu to find the program that's right for you. enroll now. but when i was diagnosed with prostate cancer... i needed a coach. our doctor was great, but with so many tough decisions i felt lost. unitedhealthcare offered us a specially trained rn who helped us weigh and understand all our options. for me cancer was as scary as a fastball is to some of these kids. but my coach had hit that pitch before. turning data into useful answers. we're 78,000 people looking out for 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare.
9:18 am
9:19 am
we're watching a live campaign event. mitt romney in pittsburgh, pennsylvania. let's dip in and listen in for a little bit. >> the value of their homes and their own home is down, and so they don't think they can retire either. i met with some grandparents that said it was getting harder and harder to go meet and see their grand kids because of the cost of gasoline. it's almost double under this president. so people across the country are having hard times and wondering why it is, and i'll tell you why it is. it's because president obama is out of ideas. he's out of excuses, and in 2012 it's time to make sure we put him out of office. [ cheers and applause ] now, just this morning there was
9:20 am
some news that came across the wire that said that the unemployment rate has dropped to 8.1% and normally that would be cause for celebration, but, in fact, anything over 8%, anything near 8%, anything over 4% is not cause for celebration. but the reason it dropped from 8.2% from 8.1% was not because we created a lot of jobs. as a matter of fact, only 115,000 jobs were created. it should have been in the hundreds of thousands, but it wasn't. the reason the rate came down was because about 340,000 people dropped out of the workforce. so many became discouraged they stopped looking for work, and if they stop looking for work, the statisticians are able to say, oh, the unemployment rate is lower now because not so many people want to work. this is a sad time in america. when people who want work can't find jobs. college kids, kids coming out of
9:21 am
college. surveys said half of the kids coming out of college can't find work or can't find work that's consistent with their skills. this is a time when america wants to have someone who knows who it takes to create jobs and get people working again. i think it helps to have had a job to create a job, and i have and i will. [ cheers and applause ] now, people ask me what will i do to help create jobs, and one thing i know i'm not going to do is go hire a bunch more people in the federal government. as a matter of fact, the president's put about 150,000 more people in government, and, of course, you're paying for them. that doesn't lift the wages and create the jobs in the private sector that employ the american
9:22 am
people. so i have a few things i'd tell you i would do to get this economy going. first of all, i'd take away one of the things that frightens entrepreneurs and innovators and businesses of all kinds from hiring. i'll get rid of obama care. [ cheers and applause ] and then there's something else that the president doesn't seem to understand terribly well about the importance of energy and reliable energy and low-cost energy for american homeowners and families struggling and also for businesses. this business here, i don't know how much energy you use and how much energy, you're nodding a lot, and how much energy is used to produce these products and the raw materials coming into this facility are also energy intensive and so if energy is
9:23 am
expensive, if we drive its price higher and higher, why businesses that use a lot of energy go out of business or they go offshore where energy is more reasonably priced. we have extraordinary energy resources in this country that are low cost, but somehow the president doesn't seem to like them very much. he sure doesn't like coal. he's making it harder for the people to mine coal and harder for enterprises to use it. he doesn't like oil. he's made it harder for us to drill offshore and on the outer continental shelf in places like virginia. he sure as heck doesn't like going after the natural gas we have in abundance. the federal government has tried to insinuate itself into regulating natural gas and its development into our system by regulating fracking technology. the president the other day said that he's for all of the above when it comes to energy. and i couldn't figure out what he meant because to most of us
9:24 am
who follow this topic, all of the above means you like all energy sources, but he's been anti-coal, anti-oil, anti-natural gas, anti-nuclear, so how could he say he's for all of the above. and then i figured it out. he's for all of the sources of energy that come from above the ground. >> you have been listening to mitt romney out of pittsburgh, pennsylvania, a campaign stop. obviously taking on the president. we know he wants his job. following another story, he owe opened the cages of tigers, leopards, and bears, and then he killed himself. now the animals that survived that ordeal, they're going back to the same farm.
9:25 am
9:26 am
this is the bizarre private
9:27 am
zoo suicide story that was all over the news a couple months ago. a machine in columbus, ohio, terry thompson, his usual hobby was collecting exotic animals, grizzly bears, tigers, lions. last fall thompson killed himself after setting 50 of the dangerous animals free. lions, tigers, wolves, all at the same time. this is in the suburbs of columbus, ohio. the thought of the animals roaming the streets terrified people living there. police hunted them down and killed most of them. i want to get to jason carroll in zanesville, ohio. jason, what do we know about now the widow and whether or not these animals will be returned in her care? >> reporter: well, according to the law marian thompson can bring that's animals wherever she wants, she can bring them back to the farm here, she can take them to another location. it seems as if in terms of everything we've been told in terms of what we've been told from officials, the animals are headed back to the thompson
9:28 am
farm. they're still about 20 miles away. you can see the thompson farm behind me. this is where some of the animals were kept before. waiting to hear from marian thompson in terms of whether or not the five animals that have been released back into her care, if the animals will be kept in some of the cages you see now. understandably, there are a number of people who live in this rural community who are very concerned about these animals returning. one, in fact, who spoke to us, sam copcheck, remembers the day those animals were released in october. he saw a tiger go by, a lion go by. he had to hide in his barn. he doesn't want to see something like that happen again. take a listen. >> i felt she deserves to have the animals back, but hopefully she would put them in a facility, not bring them here. >> reporter: now, suzanne, here is the situation. those animals were held in quarantine for a period of time. now that that quarantine is over and those animals have been given a medical clearance, the
9:29 am
law says they can go back to marian thompson, and so that's where we stant right now. understandably, some of the folks over at the columbus zoo are concerned about that. they say they are the ones best to care for these animals. i spoke to a representative from the columbus zoo earlier. here is what he had to say. once these wild animals go back, who will be monitoring those animals to make sure that they are properly cared for six months out, a year out, et cetera? >> and currently with no restrictive law, the answer would be just local law enforcement if the animals escape. if there's a complaint, the local animal shelter would do an investigation, and if there's an illness or a possible illness, then it would be a health inspector. >> reporter: but that's all reacting to something. i guess my question would be proactively, is there anything in place in terms of monitoring and checking on the status of these animals once they go back? >> no.
9:30 am
>> reporter: and the reason for that, suzanne, is because the state of ohio has one of the least restrictive laws on the books when it comes to owning exotic animals. currently right now, in fact, there is new legislation that's being pushed through the house to try to get that law changed. >> jason, good luck to the animals and to the neighbors there. thank you, jason. if you're going to skip school, it helps to have a note signed by the governor. that's right. more news from the campaign trail and our political panel up next.
9:31 am
9:32 am
9:33 am
mitt romney and rick santorum face-to-face behind closed doors. a source saying the two men met privately for the first time since santorum dropped out of the presidential race. wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall on that one? joining us, democratic stri strategist maria cardona and allison stewart. santorum aides say they don't
9:34 am
expect him to immediately endorse romney, but what do we suspect santorum actually wants? that's, of course, up to you to answer. you know the guy best. what do you think? >> well, suzanne, there were no flies on the wall in that meeting, it was just the two of them. they wrapped up a short time ago after speaking for an hour and a half. it was a good meeting. the romney campaign asked for rick to sit down and talk and it was a good meeting. rick had a few issues he wanted to express to governor romney. those being manufacturing, the importance of that. certainly he wanted to ensure that the issues and the views and values of the tea party conservatives, the social conservatives, and the blue collar conservatives were going to be folded into the romney campaign, and we'll see as we hear what happened in the meeting how that came about, but clearly what governor romney needs to do is what he's been doing, going out on the campaign trail, as we just heard. one of the most important issue that is came out of this campaign was the need to repeal and replace obama care, and you just played some tape -- or live shot of governor romney
9:35 am
campaigning and he's going to repeal obama care. >> why do you suppose he hasn't endorsed him already? what do you think he's waiting for, real quick? >> there's a lot of things. certainly rick has a few things he needs to do, but more than anything he wanted to make sure that governor romney heard the issues, that he wants to make sure are included in his campaign. it was a tough primary, but it didn't divide the party. it prepared the party and prepared governor romney for what's ahead. >> i want to bring you into the discussion here. the new jobs report out today. hiring in april less than expected. romney was quick to call this terrible and very disappointing. we heard from president obama talking about the job numbers just moments ago. let's listen to that real quick. >> the unemployment rate ticked down again, so after the worst economic crisis since the great depression, our businesses have now created more than 4.2 million new jobs over the last 26 months, more than 1 million jobs in the last 6 months alone.
9:36 am
[ cheers and applause ] so that's the good news. but there's still a lot of folks out of work, which means we've got to do more. if we're going to recover all the jobs that were lost during the recession and if we're going to build a secure economy that strengthens the middle class, then we're going to have to do more. >> so, maria, put this into perspective for us. we'll have these jobs numbers that come out. how significant is it now that you have this kind of disappointing number or are people just going to be looking towards those numbers that are close to november and he's going to have to capitalize off of that? >> well, i think he's going to have to continue the balancing act, which i think he was great on just now, frankly. and the white house knows better than anybody, suzanne, that this is a tremendous challenge. but he also has to make sure that he sets the record straight. he is right, clearly we have created more than 4.25 million
9:37 am
jobs since the beginning of this recession when he took office. the unemployment rate from last year has ticked down a whole point. three-quarters of that ticking down was people actually getting a new job. but he's right, there are too many people out of work. what's ironic is he put a jobs plan together last year that if it had passed independent afal sis sa -- analysis says it would have created 1 million jobs this year. it's ironic that romney is hitting him for not doing anything when if the republicans and congress had supported what he wanted to do when romney has no place to stand on his record for job creation when he was governor. it was abysmal. >> maria, alice, we have to leave it there. you only get one apiece. that is because both president obama and mitt romney spoke during our hour and they kind of took away your time there. >> how dare they? >> preempted by both of them. have a good weekend.
9:38 am
>> you, too. in the middle of the chaos of september 11th, 2001, even a former president had trouble getting hold of his daughter in new york to make sure that she was okay. we're going to hear bill clinton's memories of that day. time for the help desk where we get answers to your financial questions. joining me this hour, gregg olson is a certified financial planner and partner. and lynette cox is the founder of the financial advice blog ask the money coach.com. thank you for coming in. lynette, question to you from rick in ohio. he wrote in his parents are retired and ready to withdraw from their i.r.a. accounts. should they withdraw from roth or regular first'? >> maybe their traditional i.r.a. first but it really sort of depends. here is why. obviously the differences between the traditional roth and the -- the traditional i.r.a. and the roth is you get to take the money out tax-free with the roth but you have to have it in
9:39 am
there for five years. if they only had it in for a couple years, they want to make sure they meet that criteria to take it out tax-free. >> tom is 41 years old, has several mutual funds and index funds in his retirement portfolio. he wants to know what are the ricks in redirecting all the funds to dividend funds? he's wanting to get some returns there. >> it sounds like he has a diversified portfolio already. so i understand that the allure of doing that because dividends are all the rage right now with bonds paying only 2% or 3% going into a stock fund that's paying 2% or 3%. however, the risk is you take a diversified portfolio and make it undiversified. should he want to put 50% into dividend funds, that's okay. make sure the other 50% is completely diversified so it balances out that overweight towards dividend funds. >> so do it but do it halfway. thank you, guys, very much. if you have a question you want answered just send us an e-mail
9:40 am
anytime to cnnhelpdesk@cnn.com. this is $100,000. we asked total strangers to watch it for us. thank you so much, i appreciate it, i'll be right back. they didn't take a dime. how much in fees does your bank take to watch your money ? if your bank takes more money than a stranger, you need an ally. ally bank. no nonsense. just people sense. [ music plays, record skips ] hi, i'm new ensure clear. clear, huh? my nutritional standards are high. i'm not juice or fancy water, i'm different. i've got nine grams of protein.
9:41 am
twist my lid. that's three times more than me! twenty-one vitamins and minerals and zero fat! hmmm. you'll bring a lot to the party. [ all ] yay! [ female announcer ] new ensure clear. nine grams protein. zero fat. twenty-one vitamins and minerals. in blueberry/pomegranate and peach. refreshing nutrition in charge! ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
9:42 am
9:43 am
right now the clintons, we all know secretary of state hillary clinton was in the white house situation room with president obama and other top advisers when u.s. navy s.e.a.l.s killed osama bin laden. but what you might not know is that she kept this mission so secret, she didn't even tell her husband, former president clinton. he said he got the news directly from the white house after the raid. >> oh, i didn't know about it until they told me. she never said a word. >> wow. so then you called and said, i know, you can tell me now? >> more or less.
9:44 am
>> yeah. amazing. you must have been just -- what was your reaction when you heard that? >> it was a long saga for me. it was dwep deeply personally a emotion because i'm a new yorker, i knew people who died on 9/11. hillary was a senator. our daughter was in lower manhattan. our daughter was one of the tens of thousands of people who was, you know, in clear visibility of world trade center and was told just to walk north and keep going and we couldn't find her and didn't know what was going on. so it was an emotional moment. >> if you go strictly by today's numbers, unemployment rate is down, so why aren't more people actually going to work? we're going get a look at what is really happening in the workforce and what it means for your career. t be of any interest to you? well, in that time there've been some good days. and some difficult ones. but, through it all, we've persevered,
9:45 am
supporting some of the biggest ideas in modern history. like the transatlantic cable that connected continents. and the panama canal that made our world a smaller place. we supported the marshall plan that helped europe regain its strength. and pioneered the atm, so you can get cash when you want it. it's been our privilege to back ideas like these, and the leaders behind them. so why should our anniversary matter to you? because for 200 years, we've been helping people and their ideas move from ambition to achievement. and the next great idea could be yours. ♪ a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain
9:46 am
so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. and celebrex is not a narcotic. when it comes to relieving your arthritis pain, you and your doctor need to balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides.
9:47 am
get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. pace of hiring slowed in april according to the new jobs report out. the unemployment rate dipped to 8.1% but the economy added just 115,000 jobs. joining us to talk about the numbers and what they mean, georgia tech economics professor, danny boston, my favorite. >> thank you. >> nice to see you on a friday. >> good to be back. >> you make it very simple for all of us. you say there are three parts to the job report, the good, the not so good, and the bad. what's good about the report? >> what's good about the report is the unemployment rate went down from 8.2% to 8.1%. that's a good thing, right?
9:48 am
and also good about the report is that the black unemployment rate went down from 14% to 13%. >> why do we suppose that happened? >> you know, it's difficult to know for sure, but you have to look at where the jobs are being created. we had a lot of jobs created in retail this time around and it could be related to that. so that's also a good thing. >> the not so good. >> the not so good is we only had 115,000 jobs net. 130,000 total but then the government took away 15,000 of those jobs. we're still struggling with teenage unemployment which is up around 25%. >> which is very high. >> those are some real, real problems that we have to address. >> and then so what does that mean about the bad? what's the bad part? if that's the not so good. >> well, the bad part is that when we measure unemployment, we are looking at the total amount of people that are out of a job, right? and that then counts the people
9:49 am
who are actually in the labor force, and what happened is the size of the labor force decreased significantly. 342,000 people, and we know that 103,000 of these people dropped out because they couldn't find a job. so when that happens, when it contracts by that much, then that cannot officially inflate -- deflate at least the unemployment rate and had that not happened, that rate could have been the same or it may have even gone up. >> and what happens when you have such a large number of people who are dropping out of the workforce? that must do quite a bit of damage for even productivity or what we could be doing or could be producing. >> absolutely. absolutely. all of this unemployment we're experiencing has a significant affect on lost productivity. it's an interesting thing because last month we had 164,000 people drop out of the labor market. the labor force shrank by that much. this time another 300,000. we don't really know what's going on with those people. we know some of them can't find a job, but we don't know whether
9:50 am
they're entering self-employment or what because the earlier -- three months earlier we were getting about a half million people coming into the labor market. so that problem has to be resolved. rather see the labor market -- the unemployment rate actually increasing a bit and people coming into the labor market than the unemployment rate going down and people going out of the labor market. >> the opposite, yeah, that makes sense. danny, have a great weekend. >> you, too. our next guest has got the kind of voice that really -- i mean, it like tears your heart out with a single note. a new album out after almost a decade. we're going to talk to her about it live.
9:51 am
9:52 am
9:53 am
it's not just about an ugly divorce owe are a sex scandal or the public shaming of a man who could have been priz. it's about campaign cash, the rule of law. we'll have the latest in the john edwards' trial. [ male announcer ] this is lawn ranger -- eden prairie, minnesota. in here, the landscaping business grows with snow. to keep big winter jobs on track, at&t provided a mobile solution that lets everyone from field workers to accounting,
9:54 am
initiate, bill, and track work in real time. you can't live under a dome in minnesota, that's why there's guys like me. [ male announcer ] it's a network of possibilities -- helping you do what you do... even better. ♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] virtual wallet can help you be that person who's good with money. see what's free to spend. move money with a slide. save with a shake. feel good about your decisions. save with a shake. it doesn't look risky. i mean, phil, does this look risky to you? nancy? fred? no. well it is. in a high-risk area, there's a 1-in-4 chance homes like us will flood.
9:55 am
i'm glad i got flood insurance. fred, you should look into it. i'm a risk-taker. [ female announcer ] only flood insurance covers floods. visit floodsmart.gov/risk to learn your risk. [ crunches ] mmm. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] pringles... bursting with more flavor. [ crunch! ] ♪
9:56 am
her voice, amazing. pure, powerful. she has a startling six octave range. you can't lock her into one particular musical style. she was trained as a classical violinist. started performing at 13, but she's made her mark as a singer, a songwriter, jazz, pop, r&b, urban contemporary. we're so pleased to have her in our studio. you're performing in atlanta. i was singing your songs to my team this morning. i was like you don't know. every time i hear that -- ♪ i forgive you i cry every single time. >> thank you so much. i appreciate that. i am so overwhelmed right now with gratitude and the idea that you could allow yourself access to the music.
9:57 am
it touches me. thank you. >> what inspires you? >> of what doesn't inspire me at this point, you know what i mean? there's so much because life is so tangential and so kaleidoscopic. like the words to a new song i'm working on. every where one turns, there's something that's going to be catalytic to inspiration, to motivation, to thought, something that's going to be thought provoking, just causing one to feel something. >> how do you feel so deeply because when you say i forgive you, i mean, you say, that's coming from a place of pain or heartache or love or something. >> all of the above. definitely. i went through a really what i call not a terrible relationship or a horrible relationship, what i would like to call it is a relationship that really demanded my growth and development, and that's what came out of it, that song "i
9:58 am
forgive you" and the song that came after that and in sequence "i got to go." >> tell me what's next. can you give us a little sample of what's expecting? a little something something? >> a new cd called "art and soul" hopefully to come out this year. a new single coming out. ♪ i need some scrill, scrill ♪ some dollar bills ♪ i need some yens ♪ or some something of that spends ♪ >> see, that's that range i'm talking about. people don't know. >> talk about the economic situation. you need range, right? >> yeah, absolutely. it's beautiful. you know, something that was funny that we talked about during the commercial, you said you were able to perform in front of all of those hundreds
9:59 am
of thousands of people, but this is what makes you nervous. how do you do that? because i'm exactly the opposite. >> i'm kind of experiencing it now because it has been literally years since i have experienced any kind of nervousness because the stage is my living room, and this though on the other hand is like, whoa, where are the seats? where is my microphone? where are the people? >> tell me why you were out of the spotlight for so long. what happened? >> working on myself, living life, working on healing from relationships, personal and intimate as well as business relationships, familial relationships. and working on trying to pull together the reason to continue, to continue to be who i am and to continue to do what i do because like every other artist, you get disillusioned and you start turning to things. i didn't want to just get