Skip to main content

tv   Erin Burnett Out Front  CNN  June 19, 2012 8:00pm-9:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
the prostitute hunter. >> i can't pretend i totally follow othe logic there, but i don't want to be on the bad side of a former heavy weight boxing champion. there's something about him i find that's really sympathetic. i've always felt he was taken advantage of by a lot of people around him so i hope those days are over. so i'm going to say yes, a resounding yes, let's all follow his example and go vegan, if not for the animals, for the prostitutes, i guess? that's it for us. earn burn et "out front" starts now. >> president obama in prime time. does he have answers to the burning questions? and mitt romney finally answered the question. is marco rubio being vetted for the vp slot. and jerry sandusky's wife, she took the stand today, what did she say? let's go "outfront".
8:01 pm
>> at the end of the two day gvernlths-20 sum et, president boim took the stage and gave us this. >> i don't want to sound polly an naish here. resolving the issues in europe is difficult. >> it is difficult. and difficult problems call for big ideas and creative solutions. so we listened carefully. >> our friends in europe clearly grasp the seriousness of the situation and are moving forward with a heightened sense of urgency. >> all right. we have heard that before. from him and from anybody else talking about the europe crisis. so we kept listening. and after 24 minutes and 43 seconds, we never got the answer to our two burning questions. will europe be saved and what's the effect of the europe
8:02 pm
freefall on american jobs. now, here's the closest he came. >> the best thing the united states can do is to create jobs and growth in the short term, even as we continue to put our fiscal house in order over the long term. >> of course the biggest argument around world right now is how do you do this? do you spend more money or cut more spending. and the president, probably wisely, avoided committing to one side or the other of that. but why speak at all in prime time, giving answers as long as 5.32 when he didn't have anything specific to say. after all the nation was watching and he didn't have to do this. what he said in that 4:38 answer was russia and china aren't aligned with his views.
8:03 pm
there wasn't any news and these are issues where he didn't have any control. why did he do it? >> a prime time speech is a place for presidential leadership and he didn't have the ammunition to deliver on that tonight. in all these cases the answer was well, it's complicated. and that's not good enough. this did not do anything, that statement should not do anything to make people feel more economically confident about the future. >> he was talking about europe i don't mean to be polly an na but when spain clarifies, we're going to get some answers. i don't think anybody thinks that spain is going to clarify. >> that's absolutely true. and the fact the very first thing he said was most of the euro zone leaders are not part of the g-20 and that really any
8:04 pm
real action that was maybe going to happen in the summit later this month. so he kind of led with the fact that nothing is happening here. so it was interesting. but i mean, you know, he tried to communicate, he prays on europe, he preys on them for seeing the need for structural reforms, the need for financial architecture. all that stuff we know. so it was a lot of republic tishs of what we already know. >> i want to ask you about the speech itself. he could have said look, europe this is a huge moment, i believe they have what it takes, they are essential for millions of american jobs, something like that. but it was sort of, the speech sounded like it was written by an economist. it talked about sovereign debt costs. >> i did learn something from that speech. i learned three things immediately come to mind. the first is the president told
8:05 pm
us or indicated to us what it is that he has been urging on the europeans. when he went through his list of things that he thought were positive and added at the end and also deposit insurance. europe deposit insurance would be an enormous change, that would mean that french and dutch taxpayers wor responsible for the debt of spanish banks and his mention of that is something that would be valuable to the crisis and i think it tells us something. >> you're right. the president hasn't said it. >> he's telling us what the positions are. the second thing he's told us from these comments were, things are bad. when presidents praise people for their positive attitude, what they mean to say is this is the attitude that i would like to see but i'm not seeing. you're right, if there were positive news to reveal, he would reveal that. so he's praising what he can. but in this case the absence of
8:06 pm
news is enormous news, very bad news but news that we need to absorb. and the third thing, and you and john pointed to it with reference to the spanish draw-down is this spanish bailout which everybody was so gleeful about for about eight minutes is turning out to be a difficult thing that may not work. >> lee, how concerned should we be by what david just said, the lack of news itself was enormous when it comes to europe. >> definitely. and you know the president is walking a tough line here. because there's not much that he can do, you know, and he has to be careful to not push too far. i mean, the leaders got testy today. they were saying we don't need help from america. we've got this covered. we don't need help from outsiders. so he's in a tough position. the things he mentioned about the structural reemples that are needed, those are needed. david' right. those are the solutions when he talks about the tools.
8:07 pm
they're out there. the problem is nothing is happening. and we have no, you know, investors are not convinced, not after tonight, not after today, probably not after tomorrow, that this is going to happen with any swifter urgency than it did for the greek elections. >> plus there's also the ugly truth that europe does needs the u.s. the fed is preefg liquid sti to europe every single day. the u.s. has given a lot of money that's been shifting now towards germany. >> that's absolutely true. >> they do need us and we are helping them. >> they might need us more. that's absolutely true. so it's a delicate dance rate knew. >> john avalon, let's get back to this question. maybe david from convinced you that he used this time well. why take this time to. >> i think it's a lost
8:08 pm
opportunity when you're speaking in prime time at a time when people are looking for strong leadership, even if you're dealing with a problem that's inherently outside your ability to control, when you're reading a statement as dense as that, there is a sense of, you know, not commanding leadership. look, the president has been dealt a tough hand here. but presidents are judged on how they play bad hands. and there was some knew it is sprinkled in throughout that paragraph. but on the big questions he does punt because he realizes that europe doesn't have a consensus on basic questions like austerity versus investment. and the united states he himself we need to do more in short term with jobs and promised long term getting our fiscal house in order. these were asides. and indeed, much of the q and a was spent discussing syria. but at a time when there are so many questions and this was not a performance that gave clear lines of what comes next to make
8:09 pm
our near term a little bit smoother. >> and david, from syria, that was another one because again that answer was right and 5 minutes, but it was look, i'm not going to suggest the world is aligned with russia and china and i'm trying to convince them to change their mind. it didn't sound like a strong hand there either. >> no. and there's a backing away from previous positions. the president has said it is unacceptable. now he said a kind of pund it's comment where before he was speaking as a leader giving the order, time to go. assad may be able to stay on longer now, and we have seen close up, china and russia are very intransjent. >> and in this, it looks like they are not moving. we're not convincing them to move. >> no. >> it doesn't make the u.s. look strong. >> no. he reiterated that assad has
8:10 pm
lost his legitimacy but the interest of the west and china and russia are not aligned. the countries that have the most to lose potentially. they're not playing ball and that becomes the big question playing out what people are dying in the streets of syria every day. >> david, let me just ask the question again, was this just a matter of time slot, because he's a gifted speaker and the speech itself didn't have that ring and grand ur that so many of his speeches do. the answers themselves were 5.30 minutes each for three of them. he didn't seem like he was prepared for that moment. >> we don't know who the audience for these remarks were, it may have been the people in the room rather than the american audience. the euro was one of these nightmare adjustable rate mort ages. the things that the united states is asking europe to do,
8:11 pm
basically it is asking the taxpayers of northern europe to accept enormous obligations to the south. it's asking southern europe to accept dramatic reduction in their sovereignty. places like spain will look like american states than they will look like european countries and they will be under the supervision of countries like germany. it's no wonder it's slow and difficult, to keep things moving when everybody behind them is full of despair. >> that's right. i guess in that case maybe better than nothing. thanks very much to all three of you. mitt romney made a surprise announcement late about mark co-rubio and jerry sandusky's wife took the stand in the rape case. the answer to the last question may say everything about whether or not he was found guilty mu. of buttons on your tablet.
8:12 pm
isn't it time the automobile advanced? introducing cue in the all-new cadillac xts. the simplicity of a tablet has come to your car. ♪ the all-new cadillac xts has arrived. and it's bringing the future forward. [♪...] >> announcer: with nothing but his computer, an identity thief is able to use your information to open a bank account in order to make your money his money. [whoosh, clang] you need lifelock, the only identity theft protection company that now monitors bank accounts for takeover fraud. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. well, more and more people are bundling
8:13 pm
their home and auto insurance with progressive. sure seems and why that way. wouldn't you? you can save on both your home and auto policies. yep. we talked about this. [meow!] [meow!] bundling and saving. now, that's progressive. play rocket cat adventures at progressive.com. is whatsoever. and they can make up for it here
8:14 pm
in the months to come like any business would. >> right. now, i mean -- i like how you're ♪... ♪... ♪... choose the perfect hotel
8:15 pm
changing story on mark co-rubio for president. abc news reported this morning that the senator from florida wasn't being vetted for romney's vp slot. anybody who has par taken any sort of cable news over the past year would know that is a shocking revolution. a romney adviser confirms saying
8:16 pm
he wasn't considered. romney himself made three stops on his bus tour and he did not comment on this. for 12 hours. and then he did. >> the story was entirely false. marco rubio is being thoroughly vetted as part of our process. >> john avalon, ryan. >> why did he take 12 hours to say that. >> i'm not sure why. >> i love you for saying you know what you can just come up with excuse, you say you know i don't know. >> well, it's a campaign there are a lot of moving pieces but i think that even if he's saying he's vetting rubio, there's a good reason not to vet rubio and it's this. it's going to hang on the southwest or the midwest as the swing region. it would make more sense for him to pick tim polenti than rubio.
8:17 pm
but i. >> i do know why he waited 12 hours, because he was trying to clean up a political mess because someone told the truth and it was an unnecessary insult and it was causing problems for the campaign. >> so you think he isn't vetting rubio. >> rule number one, everybody lies. this is absolutely trying to clean up a political mess in public after 12 hours because it was unnecessary insult to the latino community, rubio and the state of florida. >> no, it's not. we stop playing this game? i just finished interviewing eyes-t. he got played. he should have stuck to his original script, and that was, i am not commenting on our vp search. two people know exactly who is getting vetted. here is the problem now. every day between now and when he chooses his vp nominee, he's going to get the question. are you also vetting chris christie, are you also vetting this person, are you vetting this person? >> oh, yeah, he set a bad
8:18 pm
precedent. >> he should have never walked into this, and simply said, i hope the candidate, i make the call, simple as that. i'm not addressing this issue. >> but roland, you know as well as i do, two senior staffers, not just abc, but reaffirming to the "washington post" something as controversial as this on the day that rubio's book launches, that's an intentional shot, inside your own campaign. >> but the romney campaign. >> sure. >> it's supposed to be -- >> there's -- >> perfect on this front. >> there is a practical reason not to have rubio. he would be a strong pick, florida, generational gap, necessary outreach to the latino community which feels snubbed, but could bring some other states in the mix. so look, i don't know that it will be marco rubio. but not saying he's -- the consideration set is an unnecessary insult. >> well, marco rubio himself has said he was not going to be the vp, he didn't want to be. fine. all i'm saying is, you have now opened this box. and it's not some kind of
8:19 pm
insult, the entire latino community because he wasn't considering marco rubio. he's one guy who is a junior senator, please. >> let me read, carlos sierra for buddy roamer for president. romney can spend all the money his hispanic strategists tell him to, but they're taking him for a ride because there is nothing he can do to get the hispanic vote this cycle. in that case, forget marco rubio. >> if you look at the number of states where the latino share of the electorate is bigger than 10%, it's not a big number of states. the swing states are small, colorado, nevada and florida are swing states. and florida, the latino community there -- not a swing state, not this time around. when you look at florida, that's a state moving in the gop column comfortably. so colorado and nevada are the states. together, 15 electoral votes. think about michigan, wisconsin, pennsylvania, ohio. those are the states that are going to determine who gets elected president. and those are not states in which the latino vote is going to be critical this time around.
8:20 pm
>> so roland, should he put another guy who looks and sounds a lot like him, good looking, tall, white, vp? >> nobody -- tell me, please. raise your hand if you voted in 2008 because of joe biden. no. if you're going to vote for the presidential ticket, you're voting -- >> joe biden -- >> you're voting for the person at the top of the ticket. it's like saying the gop is considering allen west. somehow black folks are going to say oh, my goodness, let's run for the republican side. >> that's exactly right. the vp picks the first presidential decision a nominee makes. and it says a lot about their values and their profile. some vp picks do make a big difference. lyndon johnson got jfk elected to the presidency. sarah palin hurt john mccain dramatically with independent voters, something conservatives are belatedly coming to recognize. >> chris christie could be his fighter, boxer. >> and could also make a difference in pennsylvania with suburban voters throughout the northeast.
8:21 pm
i think it's not necessarily going to move the needle. but i think the idea is that certain vice presidential picks can reinforce a narrative about the candidate at the top of the ticket, as roland suggests. and the thing is, do you go midwest, blue collar with someone like a tim pawlenty or young, latino and marco rubio? >> you go for somebody who is going to be able to tell your message on the stump, regardless of who they are. not this nonsensical thing -- just like it's also insulting to say that sarah palin has somehow discounted all women on the republican side. that's nonsense. you pick the best person for it, regardless of latino or white or black or female. >> all right. thank you very much. >> thank you. still ahead, north america no longer home to a very telling measure. the rise of asia. and what it means to america's not so rich. and does it add up? a man discovers his daughter being sexual assaulted. he attacked the man and the man died. the father could be charged with murder. the grand jury's verdict, next.
8:22 pm
here's one story. i'm keith baraka and i'm a fire fighter. it's an honor to be a fire fighter. my job involves life or death situations and it's very physically demanding. if i'm sore, i have a headache, i'm not at my best. advil® is my go to. it's my number one pain reliever. advil® just works for me. [ male announcer ] make the switch. take action. take advil®. and if pain keeps you up, sleep better with advil pm®.
8:23 pm
♪ i hear you... ♪ rocky mountain high ♪ rocky, rocky mountain high ♪ ♪ all my exes live in texas ♪ ♪ born on the bayou [ female announcer ] the perfect song for everywhere can be downloaded almost anywhere. ♪ i'm back, back in the new york groove ♪ [ male announcer ] the nation's largest 4g network. covering 2,000 more 4g cities and towns than verizon. rethink possible. [ slap! ] [ slap! slap! slap! ] [ male announcer ] your favorite foods fighting you? fight back fast with tums. calcium rich tums goes to work in seconds. nothing works faster. ♪ tum tum tum tum tums
8:24 pm
see life in the best light. nooutdoors, or in.er. transitions® lenses automatically filter just the right amount of light. so you see everything the way it's meant to be seen. maybe even a little better. experience life well lit, ask for transitions adaptive lenses. receiving a transitions lenses certificate of authenticity is your only guarantee that you're getting the world's #1 recommended photochromic lens. ask for it and register your lenses online today. today, i choose color. to see it. to feel it. to be in it. to be upon it. and to live a life surrounded by it. today, i put on a fresh coat. ♪
8:25 pm
find your color and get $5 off premium paints and stains. download your coupon now. a new report shows us where the world's millionaires live. and for the first time, most don't live in north america. they live in asia.
8:26 pm
to be exact, 3,370,000 millionaires call asia home. 20,000 more than in north america. big victory for china, right? not so fast. because, you know, if you look at it north america includes canada, a lot of countries in asia. and if you break it down country by country, the u.s. is still number one followed by japan and asia, and then germany. the report comes from rbc weather management. you may be saying, how many millionaires are there around the world? that's our number tonight. 11 million. to be exact, a far cry from 1% of the population. it's actually .0016% of the world's population. not quite as catchy as 1%. a texas father who says he discovered a man trying to month left his 5-year-old daughter and in a fit of rage beat him to death will not face charges for the killing. the grand jury met today and declined to return an indictment against the father in the death of 47-year-old jesus mora flores. the father told police he heard
8:27 pm
his daughter scream, he went into the house and caught the man trying to molest her. he admits hitting the man, he says he didn't mean to kill him. martin savage joins us with the latest, and martin, what was the specific reason why the grand jury just declined to charge the father at all? >> well, the specific reason is that they basically determined this was a case of self defense. it was a father that was defending his daughter. clearly he found a molester in the act. he alleges this molester was attacking his daughter and the only way to stop it was to drag him off and then in a fit of rage beat him. what's interesting here is the d.a. in this case says she has never seen a circumstance where the evidence was so clear-cut. here's how she described the evidence. >> a substantial amount of evidence showed that the witness statements and the father's statement and what the father had observed was, in fact, what had happened that day. the 5-year-old victim had sustained some physical injuries that were noted by the same nurse and were absolutely consistent with all of the
8:28 pm
witness statements. >> and the father was extremely remorseful in the 911 call. again, no charges, and most people understand why. >> that's certainly the truth. >> what does president add up in the zimer man's case? our guess taking aim at the prosecutor acausing her of you will tearer motives. [ male announcer ] imagine facing the day
8:29 pm
with less chronic osteoarthritis pain. imagine living your life with less chronic low back pain. imagine you, with less pain. cymbalta can help. cymbalta is fda-approved to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain. one non-narcotic pill a day, every day, can help reduce this pain. tell your doctor right away if your mood worsens, you have unusual changes in mood or behavior
8:30 pm
or thoughts of suicide. antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. cymbalta is not approved for children under 18. people taking maois or thioridazine or with uncontrolled glaucoma should not take cymbalta. taking it with nsaid pain relievers, aspirin, or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk. severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported. signs include abdominal pain and yellowing skin or eyes. tell your doctor about all your medicines, including those for migraine and while on cymbalta, call right away if you have high fever, confusion and stiff muscles or serious allergic skin reactions like blisters, peeling rash, hives, or mouth sores to address possible life-threatening conditions. talk about your alcohol use, liver disease and before you reduce or stop cymbalta. dizziness or fainting may occur upon standing. ask your doctor about cymbalta. imagine you with less pain. cymbalta can help. go to cymbalta.com to learn about a free trial offer.
8:31 pm
8:32 pm
welcome back to the second half of "outfront." we start with stories we care about. we focus on our own reporting from the front lines. there are conflicting reports tonight surrounding the health of hosni mubarak. the 84-year-old ex egyptian dictator egyptian state news said mubarak is clinically dead. his lawyer said he's in a coma, not dead as reported. earlier today he suffered a stroke and cardiac arrest. meanwhile, thousands of demonstrators returned to tahrir square tonight to protest the military's power grab. both presidential candidates are claiming victory in the historic election. and the meeting between attorney general eric holder and house oversight committee chairman darrell issa ended
8:33 pm
without them resolving their dispute. as the holder for more documents relating to the botched firearm sting dubbed fast and furious. after the meeting, issa said holder failed to provide the documents he wanted. which means for now the committee will continue with its plans to hold a contempt vote against holder tomorrow. formal talks between iran and the six world powers have concluded for now. they agreed to have lower level officials meet on july 3rd to go through technical issues. we watched the press conference. kathryn ashton said after the tough and frank talks, it's clear there are still significant gaps between the substance of the two positions. and a new study is shedding some light on just how overweight americans are. according to the london school of hygiene and tropical medicine -- what are you saying about us, if every country had the obesity levels of the united states -- holy cow, the increase in weight would be equivalent to adding an
8:34 pm
extra 935 million people to the global population. we have 7 billion now. that's incredible. north americans account for 34% of the world's body mass. 320 since the u.s. lost its top credit rating. investors are hoping the fed is stocks up a percent on hopes tomorrow ben bernanke may come out and say i'm going to do more even though the last time i did something it didn't work so much. the frustration of barny frank, the coauthor of the financial reform was palpable today. when he got his five minutes of question
8:35 pm
questions. >> that assumes something special about the way you are that 345id us have to worry but we can't assume that's going to be the case for the most financial institution. >> but i also said. >> that's not the question mr. dimon. please goent fill buster. is there a danger that this kind of activity in a financial answer tuition with less of a strong balance sheet might cause some problems? >> i don't know. but i think you should all take comfort in the fact that american banks are better capitalized, the system is far stronger today. >> that wasn't the combe i requested. >> the commodity's future trading commission budget was 200 million for the year, the president proposed to raise it, do you think at the level of 180 million you can get smart regulation out of the cftc >> i have never looked at the cftc's budgets, i don't know
8:36 pm
what they need. so it would be almost impossible for me to comment on it. >> well, i'm disappointed. >> uh-huh. here we are. now just for the count, 699 days since the financial reform bill called dodd/frank was signed into law. and you know what, we still don't know actual wlee what should be in the 848 pages of the bill. there are still a lot of blanks. lobbyists are still fighting. there are unanswered questions, like things that got jpmorgan in trouble, derivatives. the financial tools that are supposed to hedge risk, but did not succeed in the financial crisis. they were responsible for the crisis the country had. according to a monthly report by the law firm davis polk, only half the rules that would regulate derivatives in the dodd/frank bill have been finalized. that means regulators didn't know the rules, they didn't have the authority to look into jpmorgan's trade book. jpmorgan, the biggest bank is a lot more bigger and complicated than before. its assets are 49% bigger than before the financial crisis thanks to washington and regulators who pushed jamie dimon to buy washington mutual
8:37 pm
and bear stearns to save the system. the founder and ceo of paul mitchell is with us. great to see you, paul. this is amazing, 700 days after dodd/frank was passed. you may love the bill or loathe the bill. but this is insane failure. it's -- the lines aren't even filled in. >> total insanity. in fact, when you look at regulations, federal government, why don't you regulate yourself first? there's too many regulations. last administration, we got into a war, because we were told things that weren't true. this administration, hey, no more lobbyists. no more pork barrel spending. why don't you regulate what our presidents are saying and make sure they're saying the truth before you start regulating more regulations on american business. it just doesn't seem right. and then you can't even come up with an answer. >> and then here we are in a situation where i mean, a lot of people have come out and supported jamie dimon that it was a mistake. but perhaps a mistake made because he successfully fought financial reform. >> yep.
8:38 pm
>> and his bank is too big to manage. >> interesting, isn't it? when this first came out, their stock was at $40 a share. it went down to $30 a share. now it's back up to $35 a share going back up towards $40. but i checked with my financial people. the dividend, was it affected at all by this? absolutely not. people make mistakes in business. just like our government has made some pretty big boo boos, both administrations, not in particular, okay? however, we correct the mistakes. they made a boo boo, but at least the guy stepped to the front and said, i am the ceo, i'll take responsibility. even though he didn't make the actual decision where the money was invested. i feel, give the guy a break. he made a mistake. let him learn from the mistake. no dividends were affected whatsoever. and they can make up for it here in the months to come like any business would. >> right. now, i mean -- i like how you're an optimist. i'm sort of in the camp of hey, i'm glad the mistake wasn't so much bigger and then it would have hurt things. but when you say he took responsibility, i wanted to play
8:39 pm
another back and forth between him and barney frank and here it is. >> will the clawbacks for compensation -- is your compensation on the table for consideration of clawbacks? >> all of this -- this whole act will be reviewed by the board. >> specific question. >> my compensation is 100% up to my board. >> is it under -- mr. dimon you said there would be clawbacks for people responsible. is your compensation in the pot that's going to be considered for that? >> they will do what they see is appropriate. i can't tell my board what to do. >> okay. but can he tell his board, i should be held responsible? i should have a claw back? i mean, isn't it sort of ridiculous not to? yes, he can. john paul mitchell systems is private. and i own the majority of the company. the last three years, we are very profitable and we grew every year. i told my board, if i did a good job, give me a $1 raise, that's it, period. leave the rest of the money in the company so we can have more
8:40 pm
affordable products, not big price increases. what he should say is, i'm paid a fortune. guys, if you think me take responsibility screwed things up a bit, give me little to no raise or bonus. i make a fortune anyway, let me be the fall guy and act accordingly. that's what he should do. >> that seems like the right thing to do. don't give me a bonus. because i was responsible. i'm sorry. i messed up. >> exactly. >> i want to put my money where my mouth is. >> or at least reduce it. that's the american way. >> all right. >> that's what america is looking for. the prosecution in the trayvon martin case under fire tonight. answering questions about political motives in the case that she's been building against george zimer man. cnn's mark knee jam all acomes what appears to be a feud allen
8:41 pm
dish wits, she had been with it kal, did you do it appropriately. he had raised that question and apparently she did something pretty dramatic, he says, right? >> apparently she called harvard where he's a law professor and wanted him fired and disbarred and apaerntly went railing against him for about i think he describes it as a 40-minute rant. so apparently the school told her basically reminded her of the first amendment and that he had every right to give an opinion and that's where we find ourselves. he then wrote about it and we've been having some issues as i've observed this case more and more, i've got some really concerns about the way the prosecution has been proceeding on this. so i simply wrote about it using
8:42 pm
professor dershowitz's story. >> and you made -- you said if she made that threat, it's frightening for a prosecutor in power to act that way and smacks of overreaching in an effort to chill any critics. >> exactly. >> what does this say about her and how she's handling the case? obviously this is just an allegation, but what do you think it says more broadly? >> well, i'm very concerned. i, you know, i was first taken aback when she announced she was taking over the case. as the case has unfolded and we follow a timeline, we remember the prosecute for this circuit basically was on the case, was going to have a grand jury meet and determine it, and then he said he had a conflict of interest and mysteriously to me
8:43 pm
he was off the case. to this day we've never heard what this conflict of interest is. and then we have the grand jury basically being told to step down. and she was going to make the charging decision. and before she made that charging decision she goes on national tv, she announced that she was going to take the case. she says that she prayed with the victim's family before she condikted her i am portion investigation. that is a concern of mine. if it's impartial, why are you taken one side or the other. why are you praying with a family? did you pray with both families. and she made her own charging decision. i'm concerned about that. >> do you think had the grand injury been allowed to take a look at the situation and the evidence that possibly they would not have dieted george zimer man and there was a fear that they had to charge so go around a possible grand jury. >> i think those are the
8:44 pm
questions to be asked. we have angela corey who is known as a prosecutor who really takes no prisoners. there's been a great deal of criticism in due val county, she is known to be a strong nra supporter, like the governor who appointed her, and they have not been supported generally by the community which seemly is now somewhat embracing them, one has to ask were there political questions being brought up. i think that's something of why dershowitz was alluding to why were not all sides given and why did she go ahead and make the charging decision rather than allowing that to go to a grand jury. i brought up the issue in my piece about very simply. if you've got a skon servetive nra supporting gorner and you have a prosecutor appointed by him and you had a grand jury
8:45 pm
scheduled to go with an experienced prosecutor whose office was on the case from the beginning, why were they removed and why did a grand jury not be allowed to sit? were people asementing, the governor attempting to curry favor with a voting block that otherwise might have have been supporting him? i don't know. it's legitimate to ask questions, and being critical of somebody who grand stands, takes the stand and preens before the national public i think it's an appropriate question to ask and i think people should continue to keep asking. >> we do want to note that angela corey has not yet formerly responded to the accusations. the jerry sandusky took the stand in his defense. this is the woman that one alleged victim said ignored his screams for help when he was being attacked by her husband in the basement. what did dottie sandusky say? for t ♪
8:46 pm
oh! [ baby crying ] ♪ what started as a whisper ♪ every day, millions of people choose to do the right thing. ♪ slowly turned to a scream ♪ there's an insurance company that does that, too. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? ♪ amen, omen
8:47 pm
8:48 pm
♪ ( whirring and crackling sounds ) man: assembly lines that fix themselves. the most innovative companies are doing things they never could before, by building on the cisco intelligent network. what ? customers didn't like it. so why do banks do it ? hello ? hello ?! if your bank doesn't let you talk to a real person 24/7,
8:49 pm
you need an ally. hello ? ally bank. no nonsense. just people sense. and we're back with our outer circle tonight. we reach out to our sources around the world and we go tonight to canada. the porn star accused of killing
8:50 pm
and dismembering a university student made his first appearance in a courtroom today. he was extra dieted from germany yesterday. paula newton has been folths following this story from the beginning. >> reporter: he appeared in the montreal courtroom today and pleaded not guilty what he is accused of dismembering the stund and denialing his body. in declaring his not guilty it will be interesting in what happens on thursday and whether or not his defense and the prosecution both ask for a psychiatric evaluation. we have had cases here recently where people try and plea they were criminally not responsible and that means they will head to a psychiatric institution and not a prison. more to come on thursday.
8:51 pm
>> dottie sandusky, the wife of former penn state football coach jerry sandusky took the stand today. in session's beth carez is at the courthouse. let me start with you. >> she wasn't on the stand all that long. only about 45 minutes and she focused on not just her home life, briefly talking about their six children and 12 grandchildren and how her husband was away a lot when she was raising the kids because of his job. she would see a lot of kids at the house. she then focused her testimony on the accusers of the case. she was shown photographs of the -- she said accuser number four, there's been a lot of
8:52 pm
focus on the defense case chipping away credibility on number four. she said he was a bit of a problem. and she also recalled a trip where she went to a bowl game, and this was an interesting incident involving this accuser who says that she came into the hotel room, and she basically broke up what was going to be a sexual assault. she said she came into the room, they were fully clothed and were having an argument about a luncheon. >> did she say anything about her physical relationship with her husband, whether she could imagine him doing this? >> no. she didn't go there, erin. however, the very final question she was asked on cross-examination is can she imagine any reason why those accusers and mike mcqueary would come in and lie about what her husband is accused of doing, and
8:53 pm
she said, i don't know what they would lie for. >> what does that say? >> that's her final word, i don't know what they would lie for. >> she's sticking up for her husband. >> it sounds like there she's saying maybe they're telling the truth. >> i don't think that's what she intended by that. i think what she incontinueded by that was it was amazing to me that they would say such a thing because it cannot be true. i also think that putting the wife on the stand that frankly is not going to make a whole lot of difference in this case. because anybody would expect that the wife would stand up for the husband in this situation. after all, she's lived with him for all these years and if in fact he's guilty of this, she's made a deal with the devil to look the other way. so i don't think the jurors are going to be surprised she testified the way she did. >> did she help or hurt him. >> i don't think she hurt him in any way. frankly i thought you would see a more aggressive
8:54 pm
cross-examination by prosecutors. it looks like they're just trying to end the case as quickly as possible and get the case to the jury. >> well, it means the jury could get the case, the case could be done tomorrow. >> for jerry sandusky. >> the judge is saying they may get it by noon tomorrow, if that's the case, i don't think he's going to testify, but this case is going so fast, on who knows. maybe he gets on the stand for an hour and he's off. remember all of the experts have been on and off in under an hour. >> thanks to paul and bath. what's wrong with this sentence, hebrew national hot dogs are not kosher. it doesn't add up. next. d@
8:55 pm
>> announcer: this is the day. the day that we say to the world of identity thieves "enough." we're lifelock, and we believe you have the right to live free from the fear of identity theft. our pledge to you? as long as there are identity thieves, we'll be there. we're lifelock. and we offer the most comprehensive identity theft protection ever created. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today.
8:56 pm
8:57 pm
8:58 pm
so when people think of kosher food, a lot of people might think of the brand hebrew national. their packaging has the word kosher all over it. hebrew national's parent company works with a number of approval groups to guarantee their
8:59 pm
kosherness. they said we certified thousands of companies but they're unique. it's a company that never take shortcuts, we want to recognize outstanding dedication to providing superior kosher foods. let's be frank for a moment. hebrew national might not be kosher. seriously. the american jewish world this week reported that 11 customers filed a 65-page class action lawsuit saying they have witnessed procedures that rendered the meat being processed not kosher. first of all, pretty much nothing in a slaughterhouse is palatable, never mind kosher. this isn't just about religion, it's about money. to get that hebrew national kosher k, you have to pay. are local grocery stores selling kosher dogs for