Skip to main content

tv   The Lead With Jake Tapper  CNN  July 9, 2013 1:00pm-2:01pm PDT

1:00 pm
>> she sped off around to the crime scene. >> now, i may have taken you out of time a little bit. i want to go back. let me ask you this -- i'm jake tapper. this is "the lead." you're watching live, continuous coverage of the george zimmerman murder trial, which has brought up issues of race and self-defense. yesterday it was all about the 911 calls and screams for help. today it seems to be all about the gunshot. we're listening to george zimmerman's neighbor, eloise dilligard. let's listen in. >> the young man that was there alone and then the other couple was talking to the policeman in terms of what they knew. >> okay. i don't want to you tell us
1:01 pm
precisely what you heard them say because law enforcement may have already testified to that but were you there when those people gave their statements to ln law enforcement? >> i wasn't there when they gave their verbal statement but i was there when they gave their written stiematements. >> you said one might have been jeremy and another one might have been jonathan. ; is that corre is that correct? >> that's what i think i remember about the names but, again, i'm just not sure. >> do you recall -- were there three people, one female and two males or any more than that who gave their verbal statements to law enforcement in your presence? >> in my presence there was a couple, a male and a female and then there was a gentleman who was by himself.
1:02 pm
. >> did you give any verbal -- except for what we've talked about so far, did you give any verbal or written statements to the police that night? >> no. but then he asked me my name and i gave to him and i gave him my phone number. >> okay. and then -- and now i think we're back to the time where you l left the area of the event, first ran into mrs. zimmerman, went back looking for her and left the second time? >> correct. >> at some point, then, did you give statements to law enforcement regarding what you knew or heard about the event? >> yes. there was an fbi agent who left a card on my door and requested i call him. so i called.
1:03 pm
>> okay. >> and he and another agent came to my house and interviewed me. >> and you gave them a state about whatever information they asked you about, i presume? >> that is correct. >> okay. at some point did you have an opportunity to listen to what we call and have been calling during this trial the lauer 911 tape? and for your purposes, that is the tape that has the voices in the background screaming for help. have you had an opportunity to listen to that? >> yes. >> can you tell me the circumstances of the setting around the first time that you listened to it. >> the first time that i heard it was when it was played on one of the local news channels. >> okay. were you by yourself or with
1:04 pm
anyone else? >> you know, i really don't -- i don't remember. >> okay. how many times have you listened to the tape? >> besides that time when it was played over and over but i would probably say maybe two or three times. >> okay. did you hear a voice screaming for help in the background that you were able to recognize or identify? >> i heard the voice screaming in the background and of the two that we are discussing, the deceased, trayvon and george, i only heard george talk. >> whose voice do you believe that was in the background screaming for help? >> based on the fact that i've only heard george's voice and it's a light male voice, i would say that it was his. >> and by "his" you mean whom?
1:05 pm
>> george zimmerman. >> and when you say you've heard him talk, tell us again about how long you've known him. >> by that time it was two and a half years. >> you had an opportunity to both hear him speak to you and speak to others in your presence? >> that is correct. >> ever hear him yell for his dog or laugh at a joke or anything like that that can you recall? >> never heard him yell at the dog. i mean, whatever commands he gave the dog were very, you know, just like a voice talking to someone next to you. but, again, from what i heard he has a light male voice. >> okay. i'm going to ask you then -- i'm going to try something that may work. i'm going to show you an exhibit, state's exhibit 1, and just see if there's any chance that this can be done in a way where you can identify the
1:06 pm
picture and then i'm going to have you try and walk us through a location where you may have seen george zimmerman's truck, okay? >> okay. >> so what you're seeing now should be blocked pretty soon by a picture. can you see that picture? >> i can see the picture. >> okay. let's just see if this works in any form or fashion. >> you need to bring it up a little. it's going out of my focus. >> okay. let me try something else then. >> that's better. >> okay. for you maybe. hold on for one second. >> sure. >> does that work? can you -- >> that worked. >> all right. i'm going to move it a little bit to an area -- okay. can you describe what is barely
1:07 pm
on the screen at this point? can you see that? >> the only thing i can see is a blue line, a little bit of grass and the white border on the picture. >> can you see the pool that's in the center of the photo? >> i can. >> okay. unless we start talking about
1:08 pm
mirror images, your honor, that's not going to work so i'll move on to another area of inquiry. i'm going to try to ask you verbally what we tried to do visually. usual familiar with the area? >> i am. >> you gave as you walk-through or drive-through as you walked into the complex. can you tell me what entrance you came in that night? >> i came in the entrance that is directly in front of bentley elementary school. >> is that the one that when you walk -- when you drive in, you have the clubhouse immediately in front of you and just to your right? >> that is correct. >> okay. from that point, and i know we're testing your memory since you don't live there anymore, at that point as you're coming in oregon, i know that you took a sort of back route over to your complex because you took a right on retreat view circle, correct?
1:09 pm
when you first came in? >> if you say the back route, then you're talking about the part of oregon that goes up to 46 or -- >> i confused it by saying my understanding -- one moment if i might, your honor. okay. sorry about that. can you hear me? >> that's okay. i can hear you. >> i think i confused my question a moment ago. my understanding was that when you first came into your subdivision, you realized that there was some crime scene tape, correct? >> correct. >> as you were coming into the
1:10 pm
main entrance with the clubhouse off to your right, which way was the crime scene tape from where you were driving in? >> to the left or to the east. >> okay. and that would have been -- is that the normal way that you would go from that main entrance to your residence? you would go to the left? >> no, i would go to the right. >> all right. now, what i would like to do is start at the oregon main entrance with the clubhouse on your right and if you can sort of walk or drive us to the area where you did drive up to see -- to get a better view of the area of the crime scene itself. >> if i were to drive in to the entrance that was directly
1:11 pm
across from bentley elementary, i would have made a left rather than a right to go down to where the crime scene was. >> okay. and where on that scene, then, would you have seen george's truck? we'll be right back with more live coverage from inside the courtroom of the george zimmerman murder trial. plus did the prosecution overreach with a second degree murder charge? we'll discuss this with our legal experts coming up. stay with us after this quick break. distribution systems," "and one of the most efficient trucking networks," "with safe, experienced drivers." "we work directly with manufacturers," "eliminating costly markups," "and buy directly from local farmers in every region of the country." "when you see our low prices, remember the wheels turning behind the scenes, delivering for millions of americans, everyday. "dedication: that's the real walmart"
1:12 pm
♪ hooking up the country whelping business run ♪ ♪ build! we're investing big to keep our country in the lead. ♪ load! we keep moving to deliver what you need. and that means growth, lots of cargo going all around the globe. cars and parts, fuel and steel, peas and rice, hey that's nice! ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪
1:13 pm
j.d. power and associates has ranked quicken loans highest in the nation in customer satisfaction... i say "family," because we've been blessed with this honor for 3 years in a row... rest assured we'll treat all of your mortgage needs with tender loving care. amazing client satisfaction: it's a quicken loans family value. call 800-quicken or go to quickenloans.com to experience it for yourself.
1:14 pm
welcome back to "the lead." we're now listening to the cross-examination of the defense witness, eloise dilligard, who is a neighbor of george zimmerman who has verified and validated various parts of his testimony. let's listen to the prosecutor as he cross-examines this witness who is sick at home. >> you said you had seen him at twin lakes just walking around? >> yes. >> and finally, you were asked about the voice, you mentioned you saw it on tv, correct ? >> correct. >> and you didn't have a point of reference. all you knew was george zimmerman's voice but you had never heard trayvon martin's voice, correct? >> correct, i never heard his voice. >> thank you, ma'am.
1:15 pm
>> you're welcome. >> any further questions? >> a sick woman in her bed, i think we are done with her. miss dilligard, thank you for doing this from your bed. >> may the witness be excused? >> you're excused. it means you don't have to appear ma'am. >> thank you, your honor. >> when you're finished with that, we'll --
1:16 pm
with us is jean casarez and sign hostin. what was the point of calling this witness, this neighbor, eloise dilligard? >> i think she was there that night, and i think the defense wanted her to corroborate where george zimmerman's truck was. he had said where he parked and where he walked. she places it exactly where george said he was. and she also identified his voice, by the way, on the 911 call. >> sunny, i want to talk to you about that. she believes it was george zimmerman calling for help on the 911 call, although she said she's never heard trayvon martin's voice. do you think that that testimony carries more weight than say the testimony of one of zimmerman's relatives making the same claim?
1:17 pm
>> i don't think so. i don't think it carries more weight but it certainly buttresses the testimony of the other witnesses, right. if you not only have his family members saying, yes, that is his voice yelling and screaming on the 911 tape and then you have people that he knew, people who don't have a dog in the fight also saying, yeah, that sounds look george zimmerman to me. i think the cumulative ticket is the jury may think that one or two may have bias but one or two people, unlikely. i think the fact that the defense keeps on asking that question of all of the defense's witnesses is pretty effective. >> linda, these witnesses who testify not in person but via skype or via internet in some way, in your experience, are they any less effective with a jury testifying that way? do you try to avoid this? >> yes, do you try to avoid it. it's very common in our practice to take video depositions, for instance, of experts who aren't available and we hate it because
1:18 pm
the experts just aren't as effective because they can't relate to a jury. i did find myself nodding off a little bit. i don't think she had enough significant things to say, whether she was in person or live in front of the jury. >> linda, thank you so much. while the lawyers confer with the judge, we're going to take a very quick break. we'll be right back with more live coverage of the george zimmerman murder trial and our legal analyst of course as well. stay with us. bp had two big goa: help the gulf recover, and learn from what happened so we could be a better, safer energy company. i've been with bp for 24 years. i was part of the team that helped deliver on our commitments to the gulf - and i can tell you, safety is at the heart of everything we do. we've added cutting-edge safety equipment and technology, like a new deepwater well cap and a state-of-the-art monitoring center, where experts watch over all our drilling activity, twenty-four-seven. and we're sharing what we've learned, so we can all produce energy more safely.
1:19 pm
safety is a vital part of bp's commitment to america - and to the nearly 250,000 people who work with us here. we invest more in the u.s. than anywhere else in the world. over fifty-five billion dollars here in the last five years - making bp america's largest energy investor. our commitment has never been stronger.
1:20 pm
1:21 pm
welcome back to "the lead" and our live continuing coverage of the george zimmerman murder
1:22 pm
trial. the jury is right now being dismissed for the day. one undisputed fact in this trial is that george zimmerman shot trayvon martin. the question of course that they've been debating for days now, did he do it under duress or not, was trayvon martin leaning over him, reaching towards zimmerman's gun when he took it out of the holster and fired? the defense today called what could be described as a star witness, forensic pathologist vincent di maio. he says by looking at the evidence surrounding the gunshot, in his view george zimmerman's story adds up. >> it's my opinion that the muzzle of the gun in this case was two to four inches away from the skin. so the barrel of the gun was against the clothing, the muzzle of the gun was against the clothing, but the clothing
1:23 pm
itself had to be two to four inches away from the body at the time mr. martin was shot. this is consistent with mr. zimmerman's account that he -- that mr. martin was over him leaning forward at the time he was shot. >> i want to bring in our legal panel to go over some of these key moments of the day. specifically linda kenney baden is our guest along with jean casarez and sunny hostin. considering how respected mr. di maio is, literally the guy who wrote the textbook on forensic pathology, how do you counter that? how do you counter what he is saying? >> i think you do exactly what the state did. they countered him using their
1:24 pm
theory of the case. for the defense, jake, this is all about self-defense so they want their experts to get into how close they were, who was on top, who was on the bottom. for the prosecution, their entire theory is about who started this fight, who was the initial aggressor. so that is what the ruprosecuti did the minute they got up. they said you're not testifying about who started the fight, you can't tell who threw the first punches, isn't that right? and it went on and on and on like that. the prosecutor even got this witness to concede that maybe he was over him, maybe he was standing back, maybe he was pulling away from george zimmerman, if indeed he was on top. so i think they needed to do that to neutralize him and i think they did it. >> let's take a listen to when the prosecutor visited the issue of the angle of the gun with dr.
1:25 pm
di maio. this was a big moment in the case today. >> i'm saying that the physical evidence is consistent with mr. martin being over mr. zimmerman. >> and is it not also consistent with mr. martin pulling away from zimmerman on the ground and you would have the same angle, he's pulling away and zimmerman shooting him at that time? >> yes. >> jean, how big of a deal is it for prosecutors to get a defense witness to concede, especially a defense witness as experienced as di maio to concede that george zimmerman may have been on top when trayvon martin was shot or that trayvon martin was pulling away, trying to get away? it seems like basically the prosecutor got di maio to say that this theory might be consistent and this theory also might be consistent. >> right. it's a very big deal for the
1:26 pm
prosecutor to be able to get the defense expert to concede to a point. and also i think it allowed the jury and those of us sitting in the courtroom to listen to what the prosecution's theory is going to be. we now know that the prosecution's theory most likely is going to be that they both were standing and that george zimmerman pulled the gun and that trayvon martin with the ho hoodie that is normally worn loose that, shot could have been standing up so there was no imminent near of death and the second theory could be that trayvon martin was pulling away so therefore no imminent threat of death. >> linda, you're a trial attorney to initially represented casey anthony. you know this witness.
1:27 pm
di maio was an expert witness for you. how much cache does he have c e compared to other witnesses, for example, the medical examiner who testified last week and came to a very different conclusion than di maio. do you think the fact he comes in with the fact that he is so respected in this field, that he has written textbooks on forensics, that the jury relies on him more than other conflicting witnesses? >> he is is the go-to guy for gunshot wounds. i have the book here because i was looking at it to see if i could cross-examine him if he were on the stand. he didn't go out on the limb like dr. bao did. he didn't get. he gave up things to the prosecution. you may think that's a big deal for the prosecution and it is but it's also a big deal for the
1:28 pm
defense to have a witness who unlike dr. bao will tell it like it is so he t will help him in his credibility. both sides will use it but the defense will say, hey, we're the one who is called him. >> coming up, we're going to take a quick break but when we come back, would manslaughter have been a more appropriate charge in this case? and we're following other news today. the san francisco plan crash, what are they learning about the final moments before the crash? we'll be right back. writes abo. when she's sad, she writes about goblins. [ balloon pops, goblin growling ] she wrote a lot about goblins after getting burned in the market. but she found someone to talk to and gained the confidence to start investing again. ♪ and that's what you call a storybook ending. it's not rocket science. it's just common sense.
1:29 pm
from td ameritrade.
1:30 pm
if you have high cholesterol, here's some information that may be worth looking into. in a clinical trial versus lipitor, crestor got more high-risk patients' bad cholesterol to a goal of under 100. getting to goal is important, especially if you have high cholesterol plus any of these risk factors because you could be at increased risk for plaque buildup in your arteries over time. and that's why when diet and exercise alone aren't enough to lower cholesterol i prescribe crestor. [ female announcer ] crestor is not right for everyone. like people with liver disease or women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. tell your doctor about other medicines you're taking. call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain or weakness, feel unusually tired, have loss of appetite,
1:31 pm
upper belly pain, dark urine or yellowing of skin or eyes. these could be signs of rare but serious side effects. is your cholesterol at goal? ask your doctor about crestor. [ female announcer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. welcome back to "the lead." you're looking at live pictures from san francisco airport. we'll have more on the george zimmerman murder trial in just a bit. but right now we're going to talk about some other big stories developing. and now our national lead is asiana 214 came in too low and too slow at san francisco's
1:32 pm
airport. the big question, why didn't one of the four pilots on board say or do something before it was too late? we are anticipating answers shortly at an ntsb briefing we'll be watching. investigators are questioning the men who were at the controls of the boeing 777 when it crash landed and broke apart and burst into flames on saturday so cat str -- catastrophically. the main pilot had 43 hours behind the 777, a fact the passengers surely did not know. dan, tell us the latest on the investigation. >> reporter: well, we know that the pilots are being interviewed. this is day two of those interviews. of course all of their decisions, their observations, what procedures were followed, all of that of course is going to be on the table.
1:33 pm
we know that the plane was flying too slow. the question is why. so hopefully the crew can at least provide some of those answers, jake. >> dan, the head of asiano airlines spoke and said there were no mechanical malfunctions, but he also defended the pilots. explain to us what is the message that the airline is giving? >> well, first of all, we should tell you that the ceo of asiana airlines just arrived into san francisco. there was basically a swarm of cameras as he arrived here at the airport. one would think he would defend his own pilot. he told the cameras that we shouldn't rush to judgment that, procedures are in place, the investigation is in place and we should basically see the outcome. but i think it's a symbolic visit. he wants to pay homage to the victims, visit them in the hospital and really support his
1:34 pm
airline. from a pr point of view, it important he be here, jake. >> it is amazing so many of the passengers survived considering what could have happened when you look at the photographs of the crash. it seems as though many of the passengers might have the flight attendants to thank. >> no question about it. there's something quite striking with respect to one of the flight attendants. when the flight crashed, he actually knocked on the cockpit door and made contact with the pilot and basically asked should we begin the evacuation procedures? what's really incredible is that the pilot said hold on. i want you to listen now to what that flight attendant had to say. >> translator: first, after the plane stopped completely, i went into the cockpit to see whether the captain was alive or not.
1:35 pm
i knocked the cockpit door, the captain opened it and i said are you okay, captain? he said, yes, i'm okay. i asked should i perform evacuation? he said wait. i closed the door and made an announcement. >> if that is true, it's troubling he would want to delay that evacuation for one second. to delay it for any length of time flies in the face of common sense. >> thank you so much. today we heard directly from the three women who spent year after year as captives in a cleveland house. we got to see their faces, hear their voices and witness how far
1:36 pm
they've come since their hell. they also thanked people who donated money to help them restart their lives. >> i want to thank everyone who has helped me in my family through this entire ordeal, everyone who has been there to support us has been a blessing with such an outpouring of love and kindness. i'm getting stronger each day and having my privacy has helped immensely. i ask everyone continue to respect our privacy and give us time to have a normal life. >> i will not let the situation define who i am. i will define the situation. i don't want to be consumed by hatred. >> gina, if you could say something to each and every person out there who contributed money to your fund to help you, what would you say to them? >> i would say thank you for the support. >> the man accused of keeping them captive for so long, ariel castro, faces more than 300
1:37 pm
counts in the case. he's due back in court in a couple weeks. >> now time for the world lead. they call it the zero option. president obama is reportedly mulling the possibility of pulling out all u.s. troops from afghanistan after 2014, according to a senior administration official. the reason? bad blood between the white house and the unpredictable leader of afghanistan, hamid karzai. jessica yellen has been digging in on this for us. how realistic do you think that 2014 comes and the u.s. has no troops in afghanistan at the end of the year? >> reporter: right now, jake, it seems to be just one of many options and they're not even close to a decision on this. it's one of those cases the press getting a little bit ahead of the story. as the president has made clear, he wants troops out by the end of 2014 but he wants to leave a residual force in afghanistan. the idea of this zero option is getting more of a public airing right now because of the
1:38 pm
disagreements between president obama and hamid karzai that have to do with the break down in talks over the security negotiations. this seems to be the airing of this so-called zero option, leaving zero troops in afghanistan, may be one way to put pressure on karzai, push him back into line and see if he won't work with the taliban on some sort of peace discussions and also get back in line to object to continue the security discussions with the u.s., jake. >> last year when president obama went to afghanistan in may, i believe, and signed a document about the strategic partnership, he made it very clear that counterterrorism and equipping afghan security forces were going to continue to be important imperatives for the u.s., even after 2014. strategically does it make any sense if counterterrorism is a priority the way that the obama administration has been waging it with drones, with special forces, does it make any sense to pull out of afghanistan
1:39 pm
completely? >> reporter: well, you're right, given our national security interest and the amount the has invested there, it seems it would be unlike this administration to pull out all forces from afghanistan next year. and especially because it borders pakistan. that's a convenient place to at least base some forces to have a u.s. presence on pakistan's border. but you have to keep in mind, jake, a lot of foreign policy hands felt the same way about iraq that, it would have been smart to keep some forces in iraq rather than pulling out totally and the u.s. just couldn't come to terms with the iraqi government to do that. >> that's right. the iraqis were not grant u.s. troops the immunities that they wanted. that's also what they're negotiating now with hamid karzai. jessica yellin, thank you so much. >> in egypt tensions are still high. 50 people died in clasheses
1:40 pm
protesters and the military yesterday. they are trying to pave a new way to democracy. >> reporter: jake, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight to this conflict where on one side you have the liberals, the moderates and even supporters of the military who seem to be winning and gaining momentum, pushing forth to establish a new transitional government. then you have the side that seems increasingly cornered, the muslim brotherhood, crying out for their president to be reinstated and crying out for deadly clashes that killed more than 50 people and injured hundreds. it's still not clear what happened in these clashes yesterday, who started it. security forces saying it was an armed group of terrorist who is opened fire on the troops. protesters saying, no, it was the security forces who opened
1:41 pm
fire on protesters. today there were a number of funeral services put together for some of the fatalities in what was another emotionally charged day. in the meantime, this interim government doesn't seem to want to way for this conflict to be resolved before moving forward. two new appointments for this interim government. a new prime minister was appointed, elbaradei, the nobel laureate and egyptian diplomat. a new time frame for a constitution to be developed. in the way of this transition, the muslim brotherhood, supporters of the ousted president, still angry and calling for him to come back. jake? >> much more on the george zimmerman trial is ahead. defense put enough reasonable
1:42 pm
doubt in the jurors' heads? could the jury convict george zimmerman on a manslaughter charge instead of second degree murder? the panel will talk about that coming up next. american success" "that starts with one of the world's most advanced distribution systems," "and one of the most efficient trucking networks," "with safe, experienced drivers." "we work directly with manufacturers," "eliminating costly markups," "and buy directly from local farmers in every region of the country." "when you see our low prices, remember the wheels turning behind the scenes, delivering for millions of americans, everyday. "dedication: that's the real walmart"
1:43 pm
♪ hooking up the country whelping business run ♪ ♪ trains! they haul everything, safely and on time. ♪ tracks! they connect the factories built along the lines. and that means jobs, lots of people, making lots and lots of things. let's get your business rolling now, everybody sing. ♪ norfolk southern what's your function? ♪ ♪ helping this big country move ahead as one ♪ ♪ norfolk southern how's that function? ♪
1:44 pm
1:45 pm
welcome back to "the lead" and our continuing coverage of the george zimmerman murder trial. i'm jake tapper. the jury has been released for the day. we've learned that the defense could rest its case as early as tomorrow. so the question remains has the defense done enough to save george zimmerman from a second degree murder conviction? and even if he does beat the
1:46 pm
murder rap, can he still get jail time? let's go back to our panel. linda, let's start with the second degree murder charge. prosecutors have to show that george zimmerman acted with a depraved mind when he shot trayvon martin. what, if anything, have they done to show evidence of a depraved mind? >> about as much to show that i have a depraved mind, jake. that charge is not going to fly. yes, there could be ill will and some spite of how trayvon martin was described. that's not a murder two conviction in this case. george zimmerman didn't go out to hunt someone down because of ill will, spite. in my opinion at most this is manslaughter or aggravated battery. >> jean, what has the defense done to debunk the murder two
1:47 pm
charge? >> i think they've played and replayed the nonemergency 911 call talking and using all the words the prosecution is using to show the hatred and ill spite. in the state of florida, a mandatory lesser included is manslaughter. so it's not discretionary. manslaughter will go to the jury in this case. >> so in other words, the jury will automatically be considering manslaughter, whether or not the prosecutor wants them to? >> yes, correct, by statute. >> and the manslaughter charge focusses on intelligence. >> culpable negligence. >> his own actions, his own decisions led to martin's death. sunny, what's the key to a manslaughter conviction? how does that happen? >> you know, i think the key to it is that it takes that
1:48 pm
depraved mind off the table so you don't have to explain what was going on in george zimmerman's mind. all you have to really prove is that he intentionally committed an act that led to trayvon martin's death and that trayvon martin is dead. so i think most people thought when this case first came up that there was going to be a manslaughter -- indictment on manslaughter because really that is the easier charge to prove, it's always difficult, jake, as a prosecutor to try to prove an intent crime, a second degree murder crime because you've got to get into the person's head. but i disagree with linda. i don't think that we at this point can say the jury will never convict a second degree murder because there is evidence of ill will, spite, hatred using george zimmerman's very words. so that's still very much on the table. but as jean said, they're going to also get manslaughter. and so to suggest that, you know, this case is over and that there isn't going to be a second degree murder conviction, there is not going to be any conviction, i think that's
1:49 pm
pushing it a bit. >> let's take a look at another piece of testimony from today. george zimmerman told police that after he shot trayvon martin in the chest at close range, martin put his hands up and said "you got me." the question of course is that medically possible to say that after you've received this lethal wound? here's what dr. vincent di maio had to say about the human body's ability to not only survive but fully function after the heart shuts down. >> even if i right now reached across, put my hand through your chest, grabbed your heart and ripped it out, you could stand there and talk to me for 10 to 15 seconds or walk over to me because the thing that's controlling your movement and ability to speak is the brain. and that has a reserve supply of 10 to 15 seconds.
1:50 pm
now, that's minimum. that assumes no blood is going to the brain. >> linda, that's a rather fantastic description of how the brain controls the body more than the heart does. i don't know if i personally find it all that credible, but do you think that that testimony lends credibility to the notion that george zimmerman did not overdramatize what happened after the shooting? >> well, after you get the shock value of thinking about that, which i do think it was a terrible example to say, it is true that you can talk for about 10 seconds after you've been shot. you do have that reserve. that's possible. i think where he took it a little bit longer is the fact that trayvon somehow on the ground could lift himself up and get his arms under his body. i don't think that's possible and i don't think the jury is going to believe it. they're going to use their common sense. but you can say not you got me, maybe you shot me. which would indicate that trayvon knew there was a gun and that's good for the prosecution.
1:51 pm
>> we're going to take a very quick break and come back with our panel talking about the george zimmerman murder case. the big question of course coming up, should trayvon martin's past drug use be allowed in the trial? the judge ruled the toxicology would be permitted. we'll take discussion on that and look ahead to tomorrow's testimony coming up. stay with us. vo: getting your car serviced at meineke, smart.
1:52 pm
saving time by booking an appointment online, even smarter. online scheduling.
1:53 pm
available now at meineke.com.
1:54 pm
welcome back to "the lead." i'm jake tapper. i want to talk to our panel for some final thoughts about the george zimmerman trial. jean, after the jury was dismissed yesterday, judge debra nelson ruled that the defense can submit evidence of trayvon martin's marijuana use.
1:55 pm
martin's toxicology report showed he had thc in his blood, the active ingredient for marijuana. but we didn't hear anything about trayvon martin's past drug use today. were you surprised? >> i was. i was waiting for the toxicologist because i believe that's who they would call to testify about this. it not over yet and so i do think they will call him. and the reason it was allowed and truly it because of florida case law. and florida case law, if it is relevant, it can be reversible error. if there is a conviction, on appeal it can be reversed if not allowed in. it makes common sense and they'll want the jury to hear it. >> let's talk about trayvon martin's marijuana use. chemically it can cause paranoia but it can also cause passive displays. i'm wondering how would this be used to prove in any way that
1:56 pm
george zimmerman was the vick tip of trayvon martin? could it not cut either way? >> yeah, and you know what, you're dealing now in the modern culture. let's face it, most of the jurors have kids. many of our children have used marijuana. there are medical marijuana chi clinics. people with glaucoma have used marijuana. you may offend jurors because trayvon had a small amount of marijuana in his system that he would be aggressive. i also think the reason they didn't do it with dr. di maio is because the blood was drawn from the wrong location. it was drawn from the heart. there would be an increased elevation from the heart blood. the doctor would say the levels were incorrect because of that. >> the report says zimmerman was
1:57 pm
on two medications the night of the shooting, one for insomnia. do you think that should be admissib admissible? do you think the prosecution will fight for it now that the thc has been ruled admissible? >> they might. they might. i think at this point the prosecution if it had been deemed relevant, i think it could have come in due to the physician's assistant. she did testify, though, that he was seeing a psychologist. >> lend a, you've been in the hot seat before in some very high profile cases. if you were the defense, what would you do to wrap up this case? we're hearing now that they might rest as early as tomorrow. >> i would call george zimmerman's father, who was a judge, who was a veteran and i would have him again reiterate that he thought the voice on the tape was his son and i would leave it at that. i would not leave george zimmerman to the stand. >> and, jean, what do you think
1:58 pm
we can expect tomorrow? >> i would think a psychologist and they are having a hearing as we speak to see if a defense animation can come before the jury as to what actually happened outside at the t area and the expert who is testifying right now has state of the art software like what is used in the movies, ofavitar. he's applied it now to crime scenes and is making a name for himself nationally. >> tell us what you've seen from the jury. how are they reacting to the testimony? >> today what i'm seeing is that they're taking notes, they're looking up, they're taking notes, totally folk $ to dr. di maio's testimony. very focused, never drifting at all. so he made it so basic so you really could understand it clearly. they are relying one way or the other on what he testified to
1:59 pm
today. >> linda, if you were in this trial, what would you be be looking to right now when it comes to the jury? how would you be trying to read their responses? >> that is the worst thing can you possibly do because you never know what they're thinking. when you enter the well, if they look at you, if they smile, if they stand when you stand, they you think you have an in with them but you never, never, never know. >> sybrina fulton, linda, trayvon martin's mother left shortly before they showed more photos before the autopsy. seeing the mother walk out, that must have an impact on the jury. >> no matter what the result, this case is a tragedy. a mother has lost her son. she was an incredible witness. in my opinion for the prosecution, she was their best witness. she was stoic and yet she had emotion. i don't know how to explain it. but she seemed so real and this death of her son was real to her. so she was the best witness for the prosecution and no matter
2:00 pm
what the result, our hearts have to go out to her. >> and that's right, it is absolutely a real tragedy what happened here. make sure to follow me on twitter @jake tapper. i turn you over to wolf blitzer in "the situation room." >> thanks very much. happening now, a big day for george zimmerman's defense. a famed expert on gunshot wounds backs up his story. and soon we could get a ruling on whether jurors will see a dramatic piece of evidence, a computer animation of trayvon martin's fatal shooting. stand by. plus, we're also standing by for new information from federal investigators about the asiana airline crash and the interview with the pilot behind the controls during the disastrous landing. they've just completed that interview. >> and he might have been president of france until he was accused of sexual assault two years ago in a new york city