Skip to main content

tv   The Cosby Show A Legend Under Fire  CNN  January 18, 2015 4:00pm-5:01pm PST

4:00 pm
breaking news any time. >> coming up next, a cnn special report, the o.j. trial, drama of the century. it is fantastic by our kyra phillips. you'll not want to miss that one, and tonight anthony bourdain, parts unknown. have a great week. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com the following is a cnn special report. the shocking crime. >> ron and nicole were butchered. >> the riveting car chase. >> 911 reporting. >> o.j. in the car. >> o.j. simpson on trial for murder. >> stop domestic violence! >> this was the perfect soap opera. >> the characters like cato
4:01 pm
kaelin. >> does it feel like you were misunderstood? >> 100% misunderstood. >> it was like a slow motion disaster movie for the prosecution. >> two decades later -- >> it makes no sense. it doesn't fit. if it doesn't fit, you must acquit. >> the o.j. trial, drama of the century. ♪ it's minutes after midnight, june 13, 1994, los angeles police arrive to a crime scene at bundy drive in upscale brentwood. they find no witnesses, no murder weapon, just two victims. >> slashed, stabbed, everything else. nicole was nearly decapitated. it was a very bloody scene.
4:02 pm
nicole is nicole brown simpson, lying dead beside her, 25-year-old ron goldman. the prime suspect, nicole's ex-husband football legend o.j. simpson. simpson promises to surrender and then disappears. the los angeles police department right now is actively searching for mr. simpson. ♪ ♪ >> simpson is soon spotted inside a white suv. ♪ ♪ >> highway patrol? >> yeah. um, i think i just saw o.j. simpson on the 5 freeway and he's heading north. >> you have everybody scared. >> the famous low-speed chase covered live for hours rivets the nation. and ends with sifrm son's eventual surrender at his home on rockingham avenue.
4:03 pm
it was just the beginning. >> go, go, go. >> here's what we know right now. >> this was the perfect soap opera. the o.j. simpson murder case was the first true reality show for the country. >> okay. >> let's go. here we go. this was the first wall to wall televised trial. july 22nd, 1994, thing, and the legal proceedings against o.j. simpson begins when he enters this plea. >> 100% not guilt. >> to help him simpson assembles a legal dream team. >> each one of them was famous. >> jeffrey toobin covered the trial for "the new yorker". >> there has never been in american history more prominent defense lawyers on a single
4:04 pm
trial than in the o.j. simpson case. >> there's harvard law professor alan dershowitz. >> an ideal intermediary between the ivory tower and the gritty world of trial practice. >> famed criminal attorney f. lee bailey. >> the person you go to when you are really in a lot of trouble and can afford it. >> and of course, johnnie cochran who would take the lead. >> flamboyant, outgoing, approachable, fun and extremely charismatic while also having considerable mastery of the details of the case. >> and known for defending celebrities like child actor todd bridges, football legend jim brown and superstar michael jackson. but would the all-star strategy work? >> the o.j. dream team was not a dream team.
4:05 pm
it was a nightmare team. most of the lawyers didn't get along with each other. there was a lot of competition for the limelight. >> but despite all that competition, simpson's team comes up with this, they allege that lapd detective mark fuhrman was a racist who planted evidence. >> this is not just any city where an allegation of a racist cop is being made. this is the lapd. >> the racist allegations simmering under the surface come to a boil just days before the trial begins when the defense wants permission to ask fuhrman if he's ever used the "n" word. >> i'll use the word because i'm quoting him all of the niggeres put them together in a big group and burn them. >> but prosecutor chris darden wants no part of it. >> it is the filthiest,
4:06 pm
dirtiest, nastiest word in the english language and it will upset the black jurors. it will issue a test and it will be the test whose side are you on, are you on the side of the white prosecutors and the white house policemen or the black defendant and the black capable lawyer. >> it's demeaning to our jurors to say that african-americans cannot hear these offensive words. >> the battle lines are drawn. and race will help define the trial's outcome. ♪ ♪ >> it's january 24, 1995. the trial of erenthal james simpson has begun. >> there was a forest of satellite dishes, people working in trailers all built so that
4:07 pm
this trial could go out to the world. ♪ >> walking into the courtroom every day was like the red carpet on an arrivals line or at the oscars. how are you feeling today, o.j.? >> marcia, how are you doing? you know, how are your kids? what are you wearing? it's ridiculous. it was crazy. outside the courthouse it's a circus. inside, a real-life drama unfolding with millions of people watching. >> the simpson case combined everything that obsesses the american public. it had violence, sex, race, sports and the only eyewitness was a dog. the prosecution's opening statement tells a story of love, lust and loss of control. >> he killed her because he couldn't have her. >> that trail of blood from
4:08 pm
bundy through his own ford bronco and into his house in rockingham was devastating proof of his guilt. >> johnnie cochran's opening statement tells jurors a very different story. >> the evidence will show that the careless, slip shot, negligent collection, handling and processing of samples by basically poorly trained personnel from lapd has contaminated, compromised and corrupted any evidence in this case. >> coming up, behind the scenes. >> it was the first time i've ever seen a heisman trophy. >> and in court with a juror. >> so did you ever believe kato kaelin's testimony at all? ♪ hi dad. she's a dietitian. and back when i wasn't eating right, she got me drinking boost. it's got a great taste, and it helps give me the nutrition i was missing. helping me stay more like me.
4:09 pm
[ female announcer ] boost complete nutritional drink has 26 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and vitamin d to support strong bones and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. all with a delicious taste. grandpa! [ female announcer ] stay strong, stay active with boost. grandpa! sir, we're going to need you on the runway. (vo) theraflu starts to get to work in your body in just 5 minutes. peter neufeld. (vo) theraflu. serious power.
4:10 pm
you fifteen percent or more on huh, fiftcar insurance.uld save yeah, everybody knows that. well, did you know that playing cards with kenny rogers gets old pretty fast? ♪ you got to know when to hold'em. ♪ ♪ know when to fold 'em. ♪ know when to walk away. ♪ know when to run. ♪ you never count your money, ♪ when you're sitting at the ta...♪ what? you get it? i get the gist, yeah. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:11 pm
4:12 pm
this is how we knew o.j. simpson. football star. ♪ >> celebrity pitchman. >> nobody does it better than hertz. ♪ >> and movie star. but prosecutors say that dashing public persona hides a much darker truth that simpson is a violent man who beat his wife. ♪ >> and it didn't take long before a police detective testifies about an incident in 1989. >> a woman came running out of the bushes to my left, crossed
4:13 pm
the driveway. she was a female, caucasian, blond hair and wearing a bra only as an upper garment and had on dark, lightweight sweat pants and started yelling he's going to kill me, he's going to kill me! >> then jurors hear it for themselves. another chilling 911 call from simpson's wife in 1993. >> my husband just broke into my house and he's ranting and raving. >> less than a year before her murder. >> he broke the back door down to get in. >> wait a minute. what's your name? >> nicole simpson. >> is he the sportscaster or whatever? >> yeah. >> what is he doing? is he threatening you? >> he's going nuts. >> wow! he can be pretty bad. >> now 20 years later juror number 4, david aldana remembers that moment vividly. >> so that 911 tape made an impact. >> yeah. it did. when you hear someone pounding on the door like that and
4:14 pm
hearing nicole say i think you know his record by now. >> nicole's sister denise tells prosecutors she has seen simpson beat nicole in person. >> he grabbed nicole and told her to get out of his house, wanted us all out of his house. he threw her against a wall and picked her up and threw her out of the house. however, defense attorney robert shapiro counters with a completely different image of o.j. simpson. here he is with the brown family just hours before nicole's murder. >> we played for the jury the june 12th videotape when you saw o.j. simpson at 6:00, 6:30 in the evening and he was kissing the brown family. he was shaking hands with lou brown and picked his son up. he didn't look like a man who was dire, bitter and raging.
4:15 pm
>> is simpson a warm family man or a violent attacker who cornered and killed two innocent people? the jurors and simpson take a field trip to his house and the crime scene. >> it was very, very good for the jury, i think, to be able to see the relationship of each of those locations to each other as well as to get a much clearer idea of how very, very small the space was in which ron goldman was attacked and murdered by the defendant. and so i think that this really assisted the jury in being able to understand the evidence better, the testimony better and how the victims were essentially cornered. >> what do you remember the most about visiting o.j.'s house, actually going to the crime scene? >> i was, like, oh, wow! that was the first time i've ever seen a heisman trophy. we couldn't ask questions. nothing was told to us. don't talk amongst yourselves and don't touch anything. >> and it's this home visit that leads to the very heart of the
4:16 pm
prosecution's case. the physical evidence against o.j. simpson. >> can you please describe the appearance of the glove, sir? >> it appeared dark leather glove. it appeared to be somewhat moist or sticky. i didn't touch it, but it appeared that parts were sticking to other parts of the glove. >> defense lawyers are eager to point out detective mark fuhrman's role in discovering the evidence. >> and now mark fuhrman came up to you and told you he'd made some discoveries, is that correct? >> yes. >> and so that we're clear, it was mark fuhrman who allegedly found this glove out there near kato kaelin's room, correct? outside? >> yes. >> and it was mark fuhrman who allegedly found this spot on the outside of the bronco, is that correct? >> that's correct. >> mark fuhrman would play a starring role in this unfolding
4:17 pm
drama as would this man. >> i heard a thump. >> how many thumps did you hear? >> three. >> simpson's shaggy house guest kato kaelin. >> did you ever expect what was going to happen when you got up there and took the stand? >> no. not at all. that was my first time in a courtroom in my entire life, and i think i was 35 at the time. >> kaelin's four days on the stand thrust him into the national spotlight. >> i even had come up with a thing saying never has a man done so little to be recognized by so many. >> today he said o.j.'s maid never liked him. she had to work for her room and board. >> he was an idiot. he's so full of [ bleep ] -- sorry. >> that's pretty harsh. when we were doing our deliberations he was like the
4:18 pm
no-brainer. the guy is an idiot. nothing he says we can go with or against it. he's null and void. >> i was called so many things. i was called a celebrity. i was called a pariah. i was called a traitor. i was called a dummy and a freeloader. >> it seems like you think you were misunderstood for a long time. >> 100% misunderstood. this was something i took so serious that i was making sure they answered everything correctly so i was in deep thought going you have this right, kato and that was it. if you pause people go, he's lying. he's doing this. the furthest thing from the truth. it's for me to become even more honest and for me to answer this thing 100% honest. >> which brings us to the night of the murder. kaelin and simpson make a mcdonald's run. >> at what time was it when you got home? >> it was about 9:40. >> kaelin goes to his bedroom and prosecutors say simpson disappears. a crucial hour passes before kaelin hears a loud noise
4:19 pm
outside. >> and where did that noise seem to be coming from? >> from the back of the wall. >> that, prosecutors say, is simpson hitting an exterior wall and dropping a bloody glove. at 10:55, a limo driver waiting to take simpson to the airport spots a black person, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds. >> i saw a figure coming to the entranceway of the house. >> allen park says he'd been buzzing the intercom since 10:40 and received no response, proving, prosecutors say, simpson had not been home. >> this time there was an answer which was mr. simpson. he told me that he overslept and he just got out of the shower and he'd be down in a minute. both park and kaelin noticed a
4:20 pm
dark duffel bag near the rear of simpson's bentley. >> he came out and kato offered to go get the bag and he said no. i'll get it. i'll get it. >> what was in the bag and what did simpson do with it? >> detective tom lang has a theory. >> you want to know what happened with the knife and the clothes? >> he saw him getting out of the limousine when he left the american airlines the night of the murders and had his arm buried in a trash container. >> next, with so much evidence what went wrong? >> that's people's 77. >> chris darden blew it. no... can you fix it, dad? yeah, i can fix that. (dad) i wanted a car that could handle anything. i fixed it! (dad) that's why i got a subaru legacy.
4:21 pm
(vo) symmetrical all-wheel drive plus 36 mpg. i gotta break more toys. (vo) introducing the all-new subaru legacy. it's not just a sedan. it's a subaru. ameriprise asked people a simple question: can you keep your lifestyle in retirement? i don't want to think about the alternative. i don't even know how to answer that. i mean, no one knows how long their money is going to last. i try not to worry, but you worry. what happens when your paychecks stop? because everyone has retirement questions. ameriprise created the exclusive confident retirement approach. to get the real answers you need. start building your confident retirement today. wow! [ narrator ] on a mission to get richard to his campbell's chunky soup. it's new chunky beer-n-cheese with beef and bacon soup. i love it. and mama loves you. ♪
4:22 pm
4:23 pm
4:24 pm
team prosecuting o.j. simpson for murder has no weapons and no witnesses, but what they do have is a wealth of forensic evidence. evidence that seems to prove o.j. simpson butchered ron goldman and nicole brown simpson. >> it appeared to me to be an overkill or rage killing.
4:25 pm
>> there was blood everywhere. at the bundy crime scene, at simpson's rockingham estate and scattered along the route in between. blood, prosecutors say is simpson's. >> does that mean that these characteristics that mr. simpson has that are also found in the bundy walk blood stain are only found in approximately one out of 170 million caucasians or african-americans? >> yes, approximately. >> and that's not all, blood consistent with both victims was found in simpson's bronco on that glove discovered behind his house and on these socks in his bedroom. >> you describe that material or that blood staining as matching nicole brown, is that correct? >> that's correct. >> then there were the bloody shoe prints in the bronco and on
4:26 pm
nicole's dress. fbi expert william bodziak says those prints came from bruno magli designer shoes in simpson's size 12. >> can you include him as a candidate who could have worn the shoes that created the impressions in this case? >> yes, i could include him as a candidate for possibly having worn those shoes. >> as the trial wears on, attention turns from socks and shoes to gloves. ♪ >> one found at the murder scene. the other, behind simpson's house. together prosecutors believe they have proof that simpson's caught red-handed. >> i'll hand mr. simpson the glove. >> that's people's 77. >> what were you thinking when you heard prosecutor christopher
4:27 pm
darden request that simpson try on those gloves. >> i was sitting in the courtroom and i couldn't find a seat so i was kind of in the back and when he did that f. lee bailey came up to me and he grabbed me and whispered in my ear, he was laughing. why the hell did you let him do that? >> i didn't know he was going to do anything. no, chris is a good man. he's a good prosecutor. he's a bright man. he should have known better. >> i remember watching the gloves in the courtroom and thinking to myself he's not going to ask o.j. to put on the glove. that's too much of a risk. you never ask a question in a courtroom much less do a demonstration where you don't know what the outcome is, and it was like a slow motion disaster movie for the prosecution as o.j. milked the moment for all
4:28 pm
it was worth and pretended to try on those gloves. after the trial would admit to larry king it was a mistake. >> when it happened in court did you know you were in trouble? >> i knew that it hadn't gone as well as i'd hoped it should have gone. >> did you regard it as earth shattering to the case. >> no. not necessarily, not particularly and it wasn't until i went upstairs that people thought it was a monumental failure and a monumental mistake. >> was it chris darden that blew this case? >> chris darden blew this case. marcia clark contributed pretty heavily, but chris darden blew it. when o.j. was able to walk in front of the jury and say it's too small. it's too small and he had already testified in front of the jury and he wasn't cross examined so for us it was a
4:29 pm
win-win. >> he appears to have pulled the gloves on, counsel. >> but to juror david aldana it didn't seem like a big deal. >> o.j. simpson was right in front of you when he put on the glove. >> he was about two feet away from me. >> what do you remember from that moment? >> you know, a lot of people make a big deal about it, but i was a truck driver. i wear gloves all of the time. i know that when my gloves get wet they shrink up. ♪ ♪ >> yes, i do. >> after 92 exhausting days of testimony, 58 witnesses and 488 exhibits. >> we ask the court to receive all of the people's exhibits and the people rest. ♪ >> next -- >> the lapd's laboratory is a cesspool of contamination. the defense unleashes a blistering attack. >> how about that, mr. fong?
4:30 pm
lead to tooth decay and bad breath? well, there is biotene, specially formulated with moisturizers and lubricants... biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth. intercourse that's painful due noboto menopausal changesit... it's not likely to go away on its own. so let's do something about it. premarin vaginal cream can help it provides estrogens to help rebuild vaginal tissue and make intercourse more comfortable. premarin vaginal cream treats vaginal changes due to menopause and moderate-to-severe painful intercourse caused by these changes. don't use it if you've had unusual bleeding, breast or uterine cancer, blood clots, liver problems, stroke or heart attack, are allergic to any of its
4:31 pm
ingredients or think you're pregnant. side effects may include headache, pelvic pain, breast pain, vaginal bleeding and vaginitis. estrogens may increase your chances of getting cancer of the uterus, strokes, blood clots or dementia so use it for the shortest time based on goals and risks. estrogen should not be used to prevent heart disease, heart attack, stroke or dementia. ask your doctor about premarin vaginal cream. for over 19 million people. [ mom ] with life insurance, we're not just insuring our lives... we're helping protect his. [ female announcer ] everyone has a moment when tomorrow becomes real. transamerica. transform tomorrow. transamerica. why do we spend every waking moment, thinking about people?
4:32 pm
why are we so committed to keeping you connected? why combine performance with efficiency? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you, it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well-equipped volvo xc60 today. visit your local volvo showroom for details. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
4:33 pm
we think the evidence will show that he did not, could not, would not have committed these particular crimes. >> johnnie cochran came roaring out of the gate, on the attack and on the offensive. >> the lapd's laboratory is a
4:34 pm
cesspool of contamination. >> citing police incompetence. >> some had gloves, some didn't have gloves picking up the evidence. >> even suggesting a conspiracy to frame o.j. simpson. >> the fact that blood mysteriously appears on vital pieces of evidence is devastating evidence of something far more sinister. ♪ >> but the fireworks really begin here. defense lawyer barry scheck unleashes a relentless barrage of questions on experts like lapd criminologist mr. fong confronting him of not wearing gloves while handling sneefdz did you touch that envelope with your bare hands. >> and inconsistencies in his testimony. >> so you did begin evidence collection before the coroners left. >> yes.
4:35 pm
>> so what you said before wasn't true? >> it was to the best of my recollection at the time. >> and then the photos from the rear gate of nicole brown simpson's home. this one was taken by fong 20 days after the murders. as you can see, there is a blood stain. however, a photo taken just hours after the murders showed no blood stain. >> where is it, mr. fong? >> he needed a vacation after that because they just reamed it. >> i can't see it in the photograph. >> what do you remember the most about fong just getting torn apart by scheck? >> oh, man. >> did that refresh your recollection? >> is that a concern of yours? >> barry scheck is one heck of an attorney. he just ripped him apart. >> scheck is trying to convince the jury not only were investigators incompetent, but they tried to frame o.j. for the
4:36 pm
murders and juror david aldana agrees. >> do you truly believe that evidence was planted? >> yes. from this day until the day i die. i think it was planted. >> if this was a conspiracy how did he get blood on socks and blood on the bronco, his own blood. >> it's laughable. >> let's look at planting of blood. how do we get blood from simpson from chicago to plant blood at the scene? it made no sense. obviously it made no sense. >> we had to get blood from simpson until after he returned from chicago. none of it made sense, but nobody cared. it was a great show. and the show continues. more testimony from defense experts. >> have you ever seen a single assailant wear two pairs of shoes? >> no. >> that represents human dna that shouldn't be there and that's what our definition of
4:37 pm
contamination is. >> on the stand now, o.j.'s personal physician robert huizenga. he testifies simpson was in no way physically capable of murdering ron goldman and nicole brown simpson. >> although he looks like tarzan he was walking more like tarzan's grandfather. >> the defense is on a role until brian calvert plays this 07-minute workout video on cross-examination. >> working up a little sweat here, too. >> you bet. >> it was filmed just two weeks before the murder. simpson not only looks fit, but even cracks a joke about wife beating. >> i'm telling you, you have to get your space in there if you're working out with the wife if you know what i mean. >> but perhaps the most dramatic and powerful moment for the defense is still to come. >> once he said never in ten years have i ever yaused the "ni
4:38 pm
knew we had him. ♪ ah, ♪ h it. ♪ push it. ♪ p...push it real good! ♪ ♪ ow! ♪ oooh baby baby...baby baby. if you're salt-n-pepa, you tell people to push it. ♪ push it real good. it's what you do. ♪ ah. push it. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. ♪ ah. push it.
4:39 pm
i'm pushing. i'm pushing it real good! health can change in a minute. so cvs health is changing healthcare. making it more accessible and affordable, with over 900 locations for walk-in medical care. and more on the way. minuteclinic. another innovation from cvs health.
4:40 pm
because health is everything. hey, jennar fuzz mike trooawwwwww scram!g...
4:41 pm
i'm crust mike jubby roll bond chow gonna lean up an kiss bet. peas charty get town down. [laughter] ♪ borf a liver tute face stummy wag ♪ pow pam sha-beeps stella nerf berms. saxa-nay nay? badumps a head. temexiss gurrin. juppa left. fluppa jown! brone a brood. what? catch up on what everyone's talking about with the x1 entertainment operating system. preloaded with the latest episodes of the top 100 shows. only from xfinity.
4:42 pm
♪ ♪ it was mark fuhrman who allegedly found this spot on the outside of the bronco, is that correct? >> that's correct. >> at every opportunity -- >> did mark fuhrman have a flashlight when he was over at the bronco? >> o.j. simpson's team attacks lead detective mark fuhrman. >> did you have occasion to have a conversation with mark fuhrman? ♪ >> f. lee bailey says fuhrman isn't credible and may even be criminal. >> did you go back to the crime scene? >> no. >> did you do any more observations. >> bailey wants to know if he planted evidence at the scene. >> did you wipe a glove in the bronco, detective fuhrman? >> no. >> you did not? >> no. >> but some of the jurors like david aldana believe fuhrman was
4:43 pm
up to no good. >> did you ever for a moment believe that the police wanted to frame o.j. simpson? >> frame him, i think that was in fuhrman's mind. ♪ >> but why would fuhrman want to frame o.j. simpson? ♪ simple, says the defense team, fuhrman is a racist. >> why did it become so much about race? >> it's amazing because o.j. simpson was as white a black person as you can imagine. he lived a white life. lived in a white neighborhood. >> married to a white woman. >> married to a white woman. working for a major car company. he was not part of the african-american community to speak of, but i think that many african-americans could identify with the police tampering with
4:44 pm
evidence. >> are you familiar with the language attributed to you by ms. bell. >> to hammer home that fuhrman is a racist bailey repeatedly asked if he used a certain racial slur. >> and you say on your oath that you have not addressed any black person as a nigger or spoken about black people as niggeres in the past ten years, detective fuhrman? >> that's what i'm saying, sir. so anyone that comes to this court and quotious in using that word in dealing with african-americans would be a liar, would they not? >> all of them? >> all of them. >> i was focused on mark fuhrman, his every twitch, his every eye movement and so forth. i only wanted one thing from him, denial. >> once he said never in ten years have i ever used the "n" word, i knew we had him. when he was asked that question
4:45 pm
by f. lee bailey, everybody in the world knew he was being set up, but him. what i didn't know was we also had him on tape. ♪ ♪ >> four months after bailey versus fuhrman the defense gets an unlikely tip. scre screenwriter laura hart mckinney had interviewed fuhrman for a fictional script she was writing and she still has the audio recordings. despite a court order to keep the tape sealed, some of the startling contents are leaked. >> he's just a real racist scum. >> now we'll look at fuhrman and what a scumbag he is. >> and to ron goldman's father, fred, the tapes are a devastating distraction. this is not now the fuhrman trial. this is a trial about the man
4:46 pm
that murdered my son. >> judge lance ito has ruled the jury will hear portions of taped interviews with now retired lapd detective mike fuhrman. fuhrman says the "n" word dozens of times on the tape, but judge ito decides the jury will only hear two. the excerpts are brief, yet powerful and disturbing. >> they don't do anything. they don't go out. >> after the excerpt ended of the fuhrman tapes you broke down and cried at that moment. why? >> because i was worried at the ramifications because i watched them with this look of horror and, like, disgust, you know, and watched them turn. i -- i was, like, that's it. >> that's it. fuhrman had lied on the stand
4:47 pm
and had used an abhorrent racial slur. it throws a whole new light on defense assertions that he'd planted evidence, a charge he denies today, but would not address at the time. >> detective fuhrman, did you plant or manufacture any evidence in this case? >> i assert my fifth amendment privilege. >> he refused to answer that question on the grounds it might tend to incriminate him. what more does anyone need? >> fuhrman is disgraced and dismissed from the case. >> coming up -- >> mr. simpson, would you please stand and face the jury? >> the dramatic verdict.
4:48 pm
to your company, your customers, and all your data. cyberedge from aig is more than insurance. it's proactive technology and specialists to help keep you ahead of the curve. claims specialists and advisors to protect you as cyber risks evolve. cyberedge -- to help you change the internet of risk into the internet of opportunity. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
4:49 pm
4:50 pm
4:51 pm
late september, 1995. for nine long months, the trial of the century has been a national obsession. >> stop domestic violence! >> but a casualty of the constant hype is the freedom of 14 men and women. the jury has been sequestered since before the trial started. >> we were told it was going to be about three months. and then when the third month came and then four and then five, and it kept going, it just went on and on and on.
4:52 pm
>> but, says david aldonna, there were bright spots like several secret field trips. >> i actually got to fly the goodyear blimp. we went to a dodger game and i caught a foul ball. >> there was even a barbecue. >> one day that all my friends came and visited me, and they all brought cases of beer, and we got plastered. >> back in court, o.j. simpson cites the jurors' fatigue as one reason he's not going to testify. >> the mood and the stamina of this jury. i have confidence, a lot more it seems than ms. clark has of their integrity that they will find that the record stands now that i did not, could not and would not have committed this crime. >> four days later, the end is finally in sight. >> you have heard all the evidence. >> no more witnesses. no more delays. just closing statements.
4:53 pm
first up, lead prosecutor marcia clark. >> let me come back to mark fuhrman for a minute. just so it's clear. did he lie when he testified here in this courtroom saying that he did not use racial epithets in the last ten years? yes. is he a racist? yes. but the fact that mark fuhrman is a racist and lied about it on the witness stand does not mean that we haven't proven the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. >> how, in this country -- >> then comes defense attorney barry scheck. >> there's no doubt fuhrman's a liar. and a genocidal racist. there's no doubt about that. but there's really no doubt either that they played with his sock either, is there. and if that can happen, that's a reasonable doubt to this case, period, end of sentence, end of case.
4:54 pm
>> finishing for the defense, johnnie cochran, with probably the most memorable quote of the trial. >> if it doesn't fit, you must acquit. >> but now two decades later, we learn that wasn't cochran's phrase after all. >> he didn't invent that. that was done by the dean of the santa clara law school, jerry omen, who was the most unknown person. >> 20 years later he's getting the credit. >> he deserves it. >> however, regardless of their source, the words "it doesn't fit" hammered cochran's message home. >> do not use that word -- >> and after nine months of testimony, hundreds of exhibits, more than 260 days isolated in a hotel, jurors are finally sent to determine o.j. simpson's fate. >> we walked into that room,
4:55 pm
well, let's see, what do you want to do first? well, let's just see where everybody stands. we went around the room, you know, guilty, not guilty. >> it's two votes guilty, ten not guilty. after reviewing testimony, they prepare to vote again. now, you guys had been sequestered for nine months. you were tired. you hadn't seen your families, your kids, your friends. you wanted to get out of there. were the majority of you working hard to get those two to come on board? >> actually, no, huh-uh. there wasn't arguing or yelling or anything like that. we just came and took another vote, and the other two came on board, and they said not guilty. and it wasn't because they thought that he was innocent. it was because the prosecution just didn't prove it. >> and aldonna, for one, also believed the defense argument that the police framed o.j.
4:56 pm
how is it that with all this evidence against o.j. that he's set free? >> some of that stuff was planted. and when some of it was planted, what was and what wasn't? >> how did mark fuhrman play a part in your decision when it came down to the verdict? >> quite a bit because everything that he had anything to do with it pretty much got thrown out. i knew he was dirty. after a while, you get a sense of people. >> do you truly believe that the police, the detectives, the criminologists, were as incompetent as the defense had made them out to be? >> yeah. i think so. >> mr. simpson, would you please stand and face the jury. >> deliberations take less than four hours. >> we the jury in the
4:57 pm
above-entitled action find the defendant, orenthal james simpson, not guilty of the crime of murder in violation of penal code section 187. >> they read it, and we heard that, and then i just fell apart. >> fred and kim goldman were devastated. >> it was as if your insides got yanked out of you. everything that we knew to be certain, that he had killed ron and nicole, suddenly, wait a minute. how is that possible? >> and then our side was in shock. and then you hear the cheers and the jubilee going on on the other side. >> not guilty. >> that division became what was seen across the tvs for several days. it was blacks cheering and whites crying.
4:58 pm
>> when you think of the verdict now, what are your thoughts? >> i feel betrayed. i feel really let down. i feel confused. emotionally, i don't get why they chose to acquit him. logically, i get it. it was because it was a racial thing. it was, you know, you're the messenger. and i'm sad. i'm sad that we, as a country, couldn't rise above -- >> above it. >> -- and make a decision. >> and realize that two people were murdered, slaughtered and they should do the right thing at that moment. >> juror number 11 as to count 2, is this your verdict? >> all right! >> as for simpson, he returns to his home in brentwood, vowing to spend his time looking for the real killer. but first, he has a phone call to make to cnn. >> with us on the phone now is
4:59 pm
o.j. simpson. how are you? >> i'm doing fine. and one, i want to thank you. >> could you believe that he called in? >> no, could not believe it. so he calls in. we put him on, actually. johnnie cochran's there. and he thanks johnie for his help. >> most of all, i want to thank that man, mr. johnnie cochran, for believing from the beginning, listening and putting his heart and soul on the line to send me home. >> he said, i'll come on soon, and i'll tell you -- i'll give you the whole story, larry. >> do you believe o.j. simpson is innocent? 20 years later? >> i found him innocent, and i believe he's innocent. >> you still believe that 20 years later? >> yep. >> with all your heart? >> all my heart. there's nothing, if i was given that same evidence again, i would find him not guilty again.
5:00 pm
this is the story of one man, one chef and a city. also it's about france and a lot of other chefs and a culinary tradition that grew up to change the world of gastronomy. it's about a family tree, about the trunk from which many branches grew. and it's about food, lots of food, great food. some of the greatest food on earth. ♪ i took a walk

27 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on