Skip to main content

tv   Weed 3 The Marijuana Revolution  CNN  April 24, 2015 10:00pm-11:01pm PDT

10:00 pm
>> she's doing so great today. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com the following is a cnn special report. >> you're watching a growing revolution. for two years, we've reported from the front lines of a battle between those who say marijuana saved them -- >> the children and i have my husband and their father with us. >> -- the doctors who want to prove it -- >> we had a demand that this plant be allowed to go through the drug development process at the fda. >> -- and federal agencies that have stood in the way. >> that was extremely demoralizing to me. >> at stake, the ability to use marijuana as a regulated prescription drug. some say it's the only thing that works. a veteran and a stay-at-home mom suffering from ptsd.
10:01 pm
a painter with chronic pain. a truck driver with alzheimer's. we're in the midst of a marijuana revolution. scientists are poised to prove marijuana can change lives. >> this is high times in marijuana research. it really is. >> and for elected leaders as well. >> this bill that we're introducing -- >> the tide may be finally turning. >> our drug laws in this country as a whole need a revolution of common sense and compassion. >> i'm dr. sanjay gupta. this is "weed 3: the marijuana revolution." >> i just went every day and sat by his bedside, and they told me he would wake up the next day and he didn't. that he'd wake up the next day, and he didn't. he was five days in intensive care while i held vigil over his bedside. it was very difficult, very difficult time. i don't even like to really go there.
10:02 pm
>> kristy kiernan doesn't want to go back to that day in 2011 when her husband shawn kiernan overdosed on prescription drugs. >> it was the most terrible and horrifying thing i've ever been through. >> did you want to die? >> i just wanted to end at that second. it was a -- i want it to end. i want it to stop. >> shawn kiernan wanted it to end because the drugs that he hoped would save him were killing him. >> i just wanted it to end. so i did something that thank god, it wasn't permanent. >> 22 united states veterans kill themselves every day. shawn was almost one of them. like many vets, he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.
10:03 pm
also called pts. for shawn, it was the u.s. army, the jungles of panama. he saw too much after the u.s. invasion when riots and ambushes and casualties were a regular occurrence. >> there's the sad time of losing friends and people who you served with, and you start to question everything. >> questions that lingered when he got home. despite having a beautiful wife whom he loved very much, four kids, a lucrative career in banking, shawn's life was full of darkness. he was described dozens of medications to try and curb his depression. but none made it better. most made it worse. >> you can imagine how awful this situation is for vets. how you've overcome the symptoms -- >> dr. sue sisley, a psychiatrist has been treating veterans with post-traumatic stress for decades.
10:04 pm
>> there's this huge constellation of symptoms, everything from insomnia to anxiety to flashbacks. each one of those target symptoms generally would receive another prescription. they end up getting stuck on 8, 10, 12 different medications and suddenly they're like zombies. there's just a few meds on the market that work and even those are really inadequate. >> there is one medication that holds a lot of promise. >> marijuana is excellent for ptsd. >> rick doblin is a researcher and also has a doctorate from harvard. he's been trying to study marijuana for decades. >> one of the surprising things about marijuana is it suppresses dream recall. for people who are traumatized and have nightmares, the opportunity to have a good night's sleep without remembering their nightmares can be fundamentally transformative. also, marijuana tends to focus people's attention on the here
10:05 pm
and now, and that's also really important for people who are carrying the trauma from the past into the present. >> if all of that was true, it sounded like marijuana could be an ideal treatment for ptsd, yet understandably there are many skeptics. >> i was really stunned when more and more patients were coming out of the shadows and disclosing to me they were having some, you know, useful experiences with this marijuana plant. >> when you use marijuana, what happens to the ptsd? >> they relax me and they help with my muscle spasms and my pains. they make me sleepy. so they help me closer to bedtime. >> she needed more stories. she wanted to study this plant like you would any other medication. >> we had a duty as medical professionals to demand that this plant be allowed to go
10:06 pm
through the proper drug development process of the fda. >> so, the skeptic, and rick doblin, the believer joined forces and started their crusade in 2009. >> that's what we're hearing from most of these vets, they really want two different kinds. >> their goal -- to investigate this simple but profoundly important question. could marijuana help save veterans like shawn kiernan? >> the veterans are saying they want an activating strain for the morning and then they want a sedating strain at night. >> problem is they first applied to the federal government for approval in 2010 and were rejected. then again in 2012, but were delayed for years by government bureaucracy. >> that was extremely demoralizing to me. it was just frustrating. >> i can understand some concerns about inefficiency and cumbersomeness. >> the fda deputy director. >> for marijuana, three agencies
10:07 pm
are involved in making sure they're available to get the marijuana and able to conduct the trial. >> he's talking about the food and drug administration, the drug enforcement administration, and the national institute on drug abuse. if you're a privately-funded study, you also have to get the approval of the united states public health service. it is a lot of government red tape, and it is an issue we reported on in our earlier documentaries. >> it was a schedule one controlled substance. the government was saying it had no medicinal value. >> we're being handcuffed by the government preventing us from doing the right trials. >> that's from "weed 2: cannabis madness." rick doblin believes the right people were watching because just four days after that documentary aired -- >> i got this letter saying they had approved the study. it was fantastic. i was elated. >> how big a deal was that? some have called it a water shed moment in marijuana research.
10:08 pm
>> i believe that. not because of some re-evaluation of the risks and benefits of marijuana. it was because of changes in public perception. >> for years, decades really, there's been hardly any united states research into the benefits of medical marijuana. on the contrary, most of the research focused on the harmful effects of the plant. now nearly five decades after it was deemed illegal, we're seeing history unfolding. the beginnings of a marijuana revolution. >> fda's official position is we want that drug studied. we want marijuana studied to decide its safety, its efficacy, its reliability, and we want to have that done as quickly as we possibly can. >> that's music to the ears of veterans like shawn, who had to be convinced that marijuana could be the right option for him. >> i talked to some people who weren't the stereotypical persons who smoked marijuana. they were highly successful, highly motivated people.
10:09 pm
>> he was once suicidal, but shawn now has hope, hope that comes from this plant and from that new study, which might prove its benefit once and for all. when we come back, first step. getting their hands on the precise strains of research grade marijuana. it would prove harder than sisley and doblin could have imagined. well, sir. after some serious consideration i'd like to put in my 15-year notice. you're quitting!? technically retiring, sir. with a little help from my state farm agent, i plan to retire in 15 years. wow! you're totally blindsiding me here. who's gonna manage your accounts? this is a devastating blow i was not prepared for. well, i'm gonna finish packing my things. 15 years will really sneak up on you. jennifer with do your exit interview and adam made you a cake. red velvet. oh, thank you. i made this. take charge of your retirement. talk to a state farm agent today.
10:10 pm
i am totally blind. and sometimes i struggle to sleep at night,
10:11 pm
and stay awake during the day. this is called non-24. learn more by calling 844-824-2424. or visit your24info.com. why do we do it? why do we spend every waking moment, thinking about people? why are we so committed to keeping you connected? why combine performance with a conscience? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you, it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well equiped volvo xc60 today. visit your local volvo showroom for details. now?
10:12 pm
can i at least put my shoes on? if your bladder is calling the shots ... you may have a medical condition called overactive bladder ... ...or oab you've got to be kidding me. i've had enough! it's time to talk to the doctor. ask your doctor how myrbetriq may help treat... ...oab symptoms of urgency, frequency, and leakage. which may mean fewer trips to the bathroom. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase your blood pressure. myrbetriq may increase your chances... ...of not being able to empty your bladder. tell your doctor right away if you have... ...trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may affect... ...or be affected by other medications... ...so tell your doctor about all the medicines you take. before taking myrbetriq, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure, common cold symptoms, urinary tract infection, and headache. take charge by talking to your doctor about your oab symptoms and myrbetriq. find out if you can get your first prescription at no cost by visiting myrbetriq.com
10:13 pm
oxford, mississippi, the middle of the campus of ole miss. this was our first visit here two years ago, spring 2013. >> i can't remember the last time we actually grew more than an acre. >> since the 1970s, this field has been the only place in the united states where scientists can get marijuana to dispense and research. the reason? to control the quality and distribution all the way from the soil to the study. >> this is the place where marijuana is grown for federal research and there's nothing in the fields. >> and there hasn't been for six years you say? >> that's right. the last time we grew was 2007. >> this is the farm's director. >> we're not growing because there's not much demand for the material that we already have. >> why isn't there more demand? >> there are no research protocols, no research proposals, no requirement for
10:14 pm
the material. >> but that was then. this is now. nearly two years later, there is acre upon acre of marijuana. ever wonder what a revolution looks like? a lush field of green for scientists, scientists like rick doblin and sue sisley, who hope to get research grade marijuana from these fields for the first ever federally approved clinical study to see if marijuana can treat the symptoms of ptsd. >> i have to say i'm kind of stunned because i think we were standing pretty much in the same spot and there was nothing here. >> exactly. >> a year and a half ago. are you as surprised as i am? >> to be honest with you, yes. >> in the last year alone, the federal government has increased their production of pot by 30 fold from just 46 pounds to 1400
10:15 pm
pounds. the government anticipates studies on everything from cancer to pain to epilepsy. and they want to have the marijuana ready to push science forward. >> if we don't have it, we'll have to grow it. >> this is the director of the national institute on drug abuse. they're the agency in charge of the field and responsible for dispensing marijuana for government-approved research. >> we try to anticipate what researchers are going to need, and so we have based on that expanded our production. >> production of plants high in thc, the psychoactive part. plants high in cbd, the therapeutic part. and plants that are a combination of both. but one of the precise strains, the precise dose that doblin and sisley, the one they believe might save shawn, is not here yet.
10:16 pm
as part of our investigation, we learned that that particular strain is available from other growers in the united states, but those farms cannot provide it for this federally approved studdy. doblin and sisley will have to wait for the grow at ole miss. >> when rick doblin got his study approved back in march, there were specific strains he wanted. did you have the strains that he wanted? >> no, you have to develop the strains, get the right material, the right composition, then you have to propogate it and produce the final product. >> and all of that takes time, causing potentially deadly delays. >> our focus has to be what's best for the patients. how do we get this to the patients, many of whom are committing suicide because of ptsd? >> while rick waits for his cannabis to be grown -- >> let me have a quick listen to your breathing. >> -- many man doesn't have to.
10:17 pm
ole miss already had the strain that oncologist dr. donald abrams needed for his newest study. >> this is a two-part experiment. >> what he's doing is yet another sign of the revolution. it's something we first saw in israel two years ago. >> that's your medicine inside there. >> and never thought we'd see in the united states. a patient using marijuana like this in a hospital room. >> it's unique. it's different. i never thought i would be smoking weed in the hospital. >> this is san francisco general, an academic teaching hospital that because of dr. abrams has a stash of marijuana in their pharmacy. it is stored next to all the other medications.
10:18 pm
and abrams is using it to see if it can relieve chronic pain in patients with a rare blood disorder. janelle is a painter. she was also born with sickle cell anemia and has been in pain for as long as she can remember. >> you can exhale now. >> she says marijuana makes her nearly pain free. >> how long after you smoke do you start to have some sort of relief of your pain? >> instantly. it is like instantly. >> within minutes? >> yeah. couple minutes afterwards you feel the relief of pain. >> janelle is in the study because she wants to know for sure is marijuana safer and more effective than powerful painkillers and narcotics. >> with marijuana, even though i may be buzzed, i can interact with life more so than with pills. >> treating pain is the most
10:19 pm
common use for medical marijuana. it may be the anti-inflammatory effects or even the dulling of pain receptors. regardless, this study could prove to mainstream medicine what millions of marijuana patients already believe. that a plant may be a better pain treatment than the powerful pills that are most commonly prescribed. >> do we ever get to a point where we say, look, it's a medicine like so many other medicines out there? >> i was just going to tell you, i always used to say not in my life time. but now i'm becoming a little more cautious because who knows. let's just wait and see. >> wait and see, that's been a mantra for decades when it comes to pot. but for rick doblin and his veterans, the time for waiting is over. yet they're about to be faced with shocking news that could put the whole ptsd study in jeopardy. we all enter this world
10:20 pm
with a shout, and we see no reason to stop. so cvs health is creating industry-leading programs and tools that help people stay on medicines as their doctors prescribed. it could help save tens of thousands of lives every year. and that would be something worth shouting about. cvs health, because health is everything. all these networks keep making different claims. it gets confusing. fastest, strongest, the most in-your-face-est. it sounds like some weird multiple choice test.
10:21 pm
yea, but do i pick a, b, or c. i pick like the best of everything. verizon. i didn't. i picked a. and how'd that work out for you? not so well. can i get a do-over? vo: why settle for less when you can have, well, everything. and get 200 dollars or more when you trade in your smartphone for a galaxy s6. verizon.
10:22 pm
10:23 pm
she is the university of arizona researcher making national news for her study on marijuana and its impact on veterans with ptsd. >> as the sun rises in phoenix, a battle is heating up at the university of arizona. june 27th, 2014, nearly four months after the revolutionary ptsd and marijuana study was approved. >> hr notified me just a little
10:24 pm
before 5:00 on a friday. >> the university of arizona has fired dr. sue sisley. >> i was stunned because they stripped me of all of my work. >> her work, studying medical marijuana. >> it is so disheartening for all these veterans who have stood shoulder to shoulder with me. >> her termination became national news. >> veterans are demanding that she be allowed to continue her work. >> the pot study has now hit a major snag. >> a snag because without a job, sisley's historic study is without a home. i spoke to her soon after her dismissal. >> what do you think's happening? >> i think arizona legislature is dominated by several very extreme thinkers who are opposed to this type of research, even though this is an fda approved study. it's a randomized controlled trial. the most rigorous science we can
10:25 pm
conduct in the u.s. >> i can say that the university of arizona is not bowing to political pressure either on research or any employee. >> this is the spokesman for the university of arizona. he insists dr. sisley's termination had nothing to do with marijuana research. >> what did you think when you heard that news? >> anger. >> shawn kiernan is angry because he knows what's at stake, the lives of thousands of veterans every year. >> how important are those scientific studies to you? >> it makes me speechless, which is something that doesn't happen a lot, that as a society, as a university as arizona is, as a country that says we love our vets, we have 22 veterans killing themselves a day. >> shawn is particularly certain marijuana could have saved some of those lives because in some ways it has already saved him. after his drug overdose in 2011, he turned to cannabis as his last resort. and now he vaporizes with it every day. >> that's it.
10:26 pm
>> the symptoms of ptsd, the anger, the irritability, when you take this, how does it make you feel? how does it address those symptoms? >> it allows your brain to get back into a more healthy, normal pattern of behavior versus just spiraling worse and worse out of control. >> here's how scientists think cannabis can work. people with ptsd have an imbalance in their brain. too many receptors associated with intense emotions like fear and anxiety. not enough of a chemical that binds to these anxiety receptors to keep them calm and in check. marijuana is filled with a chemical that can bind to these receptors and help restore balance to the ptsd brain. a balance that is helping shawn kiernan turn his life around. >> we really came to the conclusion that it was really the medicine for him.
10:27 pm
>> it seemed very effective? >> it does seem very effective. >> but for shawn, it's trial and error. how much to use, when to use, or even the best strains, and how will it affect him long term. that's why the studies are needed. >> how much does it concern you there's not a lot of science behind this? that it hasn't really been studied, not even in this country? >> if he wasn't doing this, the fear is he wouldn't be here. so if there are some side effects that we're going to have to deal with down the road that haven't been studied yet, i figure we'll take that when it comes. but for now the children and i have my husband and their father with us. >> two things, one is -- >> shawn is lucky. cannabis is a legal treatment for ptsd in california. >> i'd recommend a push during the day so you can actually do things. >> and he has enough money to buy his marijuana. it's not covered by insurance,
10:28 pm
but so many other veterans simply don't have that option and the veterans administration hospitals cannot prescribe medical marijuana because it is illegal federally, a schedule one controlled substance. none of that is likely to change until research like sisley's proves that cannabis is an effective, tested, mainstream medication. so to help other veterans, shawn is out front. >> the administrative appeal for dr. sue sisley and then a letter from a veteran. >> protesting and fighting to get the ptsd study back on track. >> i'm going to find a home for this work whether it is at the u of a or not. i feel such a deep sense of obligation to these veterans and to making this research happen. >> so sue sisley is about to take a big gamble. >> this is amazing. >> the chances when we come back.
10:29 pm
10:30 pm
♪ ♪ ♪
10:31 pm
10:32 pm
here in las vegas, medical marijuana is still a gamble, but also a potential jackpot for dr. sue sisley. >> they've been courting us since the day my termination was announced. >> the future of her study
10:33 pm
hinges on finding a research site like the university of nevada, las vegas. >> without having a specific office, you can't even get a dea license. without a dea schedule one license, i can't purchase a study drug. >> las vegas would be ideal. progressive politics, a budding medical marijuana community, and lots of veterans. veterans who are fighting a battle on the home front and losing. shawn kiernan knows their pain. >> when you see these younger soldiers coming back now, how worried are you about them? >> heartbroken really. the stories i've heard and the stories i've seen firsthand from the medication regimen these kids are being put on that is addicting them to opiates -- >> it's senseless really, especially when you consider a simple plant could save them and a scientific study could prove it.
10:34 pm
so sisley soldiers on, hoping the vegas odds are with her. and while she waits, nearly 3,000 miles away in boston another study, another seed of the revolution is just getting planted. >> it's the most exciting time i can think of, really, for marijuana research. this is high times in marijuana research. it really is. >> what i need you to do is identify the number that's different, okay? >> harvard university's dr. staci gruber has been researching marijuana since the early 1990s. they call her the pot doc. we first met her two years ago when she was researching the possible damage of recreational marijuana to the brain. now she's also set her sights on the possible benefits of medical marijuana. massachusetts as it turns out is the perfect sort of place for this study because they just legalized marijuana. gruber's goal is to study new
10:35 pm
patients who have never used cannabis. >> our goal was to look at these folks before they started using medical marijuana and then three months in, six months in, and a year. primarily to look at frontal executive functions because that's really the question. >> that question -- how does medical marijuana impact brain function longer term? >> i want you to name the blocks of color for me as quickly as you can. >> patients will take cognitive tests and here's what's revolutionary. they're going to have their brains scanned to chart the change. for the first time, we will see what your brain looks like on weed. >> nearly half the country now has medical marijuana laws on the books. this is happening and yet one of the most fundamental questions remains unanswered. >> right. >> that's what you're trying to do. >> i'd like to see what it looks
10:36 pm
like from beginning to the end. >> amelia taylor, she wants to know as well. 34 years old, mother of three. she lives in the suburbs of boston. >> i just pour a little bit in like that. >> amelia is also a daily user of marijuana. surprised? so were we. >> how long would that last you then? >> that would be my dose for the day. >> she's been using this plant for relief. you see amelia, like shawn kiernan, has ptsd. in her case, she was a firsthand witness to an attempted murder of a close friend. >> i felt like i couldn't breathe. i felt panic. i felt just very afraid. >> you didn't expect you'd have this sort of reaction to it. >> no, no. >> a reaction that turned her into a hermit, sheltered in her house, her bed, absent from her life as a wife and a mother. >> i felt like my mind was being held hostage.
10:37 pm
>> were you suicidal? >> i can't say i didn't feel that way. >> like so many we've heard from before, the potent drugs prescribed for her didn't help. >> that's how i came across the cannabis because i felt like i had tried so many things to no avail. >> church raised and home schooled, amelia was taught that marijuana was evil. >> what do you have that helps just like during the day for anxiety? >> but now she decided it was necessary. she joined dr. gruber's study knowing they'd monitor her progress, and it gave her the confidence to buy and try cannabis for the first time in the fall of 2014. >> i felt really relaxed and really happy. i felt like joyful. it was such a weird experience for me because i just hadn't felt that way in a while.
10:38 pm
>> and it would only get better. amelia got her life back. >> you are too quick. >> i just noticed myself breathing during the day, that i wasn't holding my breath. i noticed i was less startled. there'd just be these constant moments of like wow. >> and in just a short time, we'll take a peek at amelia's brain to see what cannabis has or has not done and get clues as to why it seems to be helping her ptsd. clues that rick doblin, just miles away in another part of boston, is also determined to find. the precise strain doblin and sisley believe could quiet and heal the brains of people with ptsd continues to grow. it is late fall and harvest is about to begin. >> how many of these plants have rick doblin's name on it? >> he has his name on three plants.
10:39 pm
>> as they are about to learn, starting a revolution can be tough, even if they can get the medical marijuana. they still need to get dea approvals and a final study location because las vegas also said no. their journey is about to have some serious ups and downs, but all eyes are on an equally revolutionary study. a study that could impact all of us. could marijuana, the drug associated with short-term memory loss, in fact save the minds of millions suffering with alzheimer's? t-mobile is breaking the rules of wireless. and the samsung galaxy s6 edge is breaking the rules of design. can't get your hands on it because you're locked down by a carrier? break free t-mobile will pay every penny of your switching fees. get ahead of the curve and get your hands on the galaxy s6 edge
10:40 pm
for $0 down at t-mobile today. introducing the citi® double cit's a cash back win-win. with 1% when you buy and 1% as you pay. with two ways to earn on puchases, it makes a lot of other cards seem one-sided. but first, we have a very special guest. come on out, flo! [house band playing] you have anything to say to flo? nah, i'll just let the results do the talking. [crowd booing] well, he can do that. we show our progressive direct rate and the rates of our competitors even if progressive isn't the lowest. it looks like progressive is not the lowest! ohhhh! when we return, we'll find out whether doug is the father. wait, what?
10:41 pm
10:42 pm
10:43 pm
it may not look like it, but mike dobson is trying to save his brain. >> clears things up for me. little easier than it was before. >> a few years ago, mike was diagnosed with alzheimer's disease. like every other patient, he was told there was no cure, very little treatment, and that he would get progressively worse. he became forgetful, yes. but also angry, isolated, disoriented.
10:44 pm
he would just wander. >> you don't know which way to go or what to do. it is just being lost totally. >> he was very depressed, really down. >> in that one. >> paula dobson believes marijuana helped improve his -- her husband's life. >> his memory is still iffy, but he laughs. he can communicate. it's like we have the old mike back for a while. >> dobson is part of a population using marijuana to treat the symptoms of alzheimer's. >> we looking for more of an upper? >> yeah. >> now, researchers think they may have figured out how cannabis might be helping. >> that's the presidential push. that has about 20% thc. >> if they are right, it could mark one of the most significant stories in this whole marijuana
10:45 pm
revolution. in this florida lab, scientists have discovered that low doses of thc slow down the buildup of the sticky proteins, which create plaque in the brain. one of the telltale signs of alzheimer's. >> low dose have the ability to reduce production. >> the doctor is an assistant professor at a research institute in tampa, florida. his belief not only is thc safe and effective, but that it could be the future for the treatment of alzheimer's. >> thc is not that risky. it's good because alzheimer's patients really have no effective drugs. >> and it's not just thc that scientists think targets alzheimer's plaques. they believe marijuana's other active ingredients could reduce overall inflammation in the
10:46 pm
brain possibly providing benefit to all brain diseases. we first heard rumblings of this in 2013 when we visited gw pharmaceuticals in the united kingdom. >> the content is about 67%. >> gw's chairman dr. jeffrey guy and many others believe these precious chemicals are in fact neuroprotectants. >> not damaging, but protecting the brain? >> when brain cells are stressed by trauma or other injury. >> if you're skeptical, consider this. the u.s. department of health and human services has an actual financial stake in this exact sort of research. their patent number 6630507
10:47 pm
covers the use of cannabinoids as neuroprotectants. this doctor developed the patent for hhs. >> how do you patent something that comes from a plant? >> we're not patenting the compound. people are free to use the compound in other ways subject to laws and other patents, so this is a method of using the compound for developing drugs to treat these types of diseases. >> like a progressive degenerative disease called chronic traumatic encephalopathy. it is caused by concussions or consistent blows to the head. >> hopefully we can intervene in the progress of late stage neuro degeneration. >> this is the ceo of cannalife,
10:48 pm
the company that bought the patent rights. he believes this plant has so much potential, potential to treat the untreatable, diseases that may all be related in the brain, alzheimer's and ptsd. >> let's study it and get the data. >> veteran shawn kiernan, stay-at-home mom amelia taylor, they are the new faces of ptsd successful, smart, but suffering and unwilling to accept the fact that so little can be done to combat this invisible disease. >> where we see promising treatment, we should pursue those. what it should be about is compassionate use for the individual. >> little does he realize that support is about to come from an unlikely alliance. >> i dare any senator to meet these patients here -- >> in all the years i've been
10:49 pm
investigating and reporting on medical marijuana, i never expected to see this. we will go there in just a moment. the new s6 hits the stores and i'm like... whoa. open the box and... (sniffing) new phone smell. jump on a video chat with my friend. he's a real fan boy, so i can't wait to show this off. picture is perfect. i got mine at verizon. i... didn't. it's buffering, right out of the box he was impressed. i couldn't be happier. couldn't see him, but i could hear him
10:50 pm
making fun of me. vo: you waited this long for the s6, so why settle for anything less than verizon. [ radio chatter ] ♪ [ male announcer ] andrew. rita. sandy. ♪ meet chris jackie joe. minor damage, or major disaster, when you need us most, we're there. state farm. we're a force of nature, too. ♪
10:51 pm
10:52 pm
december 2014. dr. sue sisley has arrived in the mile-high state of colorado. the board of health is granting $9 million from a surplus tax collected on medical marijuana to now study its benefits.
10:53 pm
sisley wants some of that money so she can set up her own research lab. shawn kiernan is here as well. >> i'm a survivor of a lot of the issues you guys are dealing with with medical marijuana. >> he wants to convince the board that the ptsd and marijuana study should win. >> i think it is going to hopefully show what many of us vets which is a simple plan which is beyond a simple plant that's been around and is helping. >> just an hour and a half later, a vote. >> all those in favor? >> aye. >> the motion passes unanimously. [ applause ] >> there are signs everywhere of a revolution gaining momentum, mainstream medicine, serious academic scientists, previously so unwilling to dip a toe into the heavily stigmatized world of medical marijuana are now diving in head first. >> all sorts of people came out of the woodwork to try to help
10:54 pm
us, including va researchers who are experts of marijuana use with vets by ptsd. and some located at johns hopkins. >> and now one year after the study was approved by the federal government, the plants are now fully grown, brimming the chemicals that could hold so much promise, but one question still nags at rick doblin. did it have to take so long. for decades, researchers have wanted to speed things up by getting a variety of marijuana strains from places other than the university of mississippi, even taking the government to court, but every time, they lost. now in the midst of this revolution even that may be changing. director of nida. >> we started that dialogue with the dea. in order for us to advance the science, we have to be able to provide very specific marijuana product.
10:55 pm
>> i think that would be a huge deal. >> dr. staci gruber knows what a turning point that would be. >> studies that have used marijuana from the government have been very, very helpful, but perhaps somewhat limited because, quote, street product has gone through the roof in terms of potency and strain type. the closer to real world scenarios in the lab, the better off we're going to be. >> that was fantastic. we're going to come on in and get you out. >> a real-world scenario is exactly what gruber was able to study. she didn't have to get the cannabis from ole miss. amelia taylor bought her marijuana from a local dispensary. and now we get to see what the impact has been, her brain on cannabis. now remember, she's been using marijuana every day for three months. dr. gruber found no evidence of impairment to amelia's brain. there was a change over here in
10:56 pm
the anterior singlet cortex. it is the part of the brain responsible for decision making and empathy, which could play a role in ptsd. >> leads me to want to look much more closely and much more in depth at this process. >> amelia reported a 90% decrease in anxiety. these are exciting results for a research revolution, a revolution that these three senators now want to take to the next level. >> this bill seeks to right decades of wrong. >> march 2015, democrats cory booker and kirsten gillibrand along with republican rand paul have just proposed the most a day shus marijuana legislation in our lifetime. if it paths, it would create a fundamental change. >> our drug laws in this country
10:57 pm
as a whole need a revolution of common sense and compassion. >> for starters, it would do something scientists have been begging for, reschedule cannabis from schedule one to schedule two. >> you can find out what the medical impacts and when can you use it and when does it make sense. it would be so simple. >> the bill would mandate more farms to grow research grade marijuana and allow greater access to it for those in need, including veterans who for the first time would be able to get a prescription for medicinal marijuana from va hospitals. >> let's stop the pot hypocrisy. we now have three presidents who have admitted to smoking marijuana. how much of a hypocrite do you have to be to say i broke american laws using pot as a recreational thing and i'm not going to support this idea that
10:58 pm
as a medicine for severely sick people that they shouldn't be able to access this drug? >> it's an important question, a question that i took to the president of the united states. >> there's a bill on the floor of the senate now proposing that marijuana get rescheduled from schedule one to schedule two saying it has no medicinal benefit to possible medicinal benefit. would you support that? >> i think i would have to look at the details, but i'm on record saying that we should follow the science as opposed to ideology on this issue. >> it has been that message all along throughout our history. ideology has trumped science often, too often. every now and then a revolution takes hold and a guided by those unwilling to give up.
10:59 pm
>> we have to keep the pressure on because the only thing that's getting this thing moved forward is the pressure. >> a revolution that's moved so far in nearly three years when we first met young charlotte and saw her life transformed by medical marijuana. a government who once fought now supports. a farm once barren now abundant. studies once forbidden, now underway trying to provide scientific proof that could change, and yes, even save lives like it did for shawn and his family. >> you think it helped save him? >> i do. >> you know, we've walked down those roads together and it's been a process that has been by no means fun or painless, but we're here today and that's how we look it and we look at it from the perspective of helping others. >> helping others and changing the world. the marijuana revolution has
11:00 pm
only just begun. >> i have no sympathy for these people. why do you want to promote this in town? you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. >> they're parasites. they have got no contribution to this society.

41 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on