Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  May 1, 2015 7:00am-8:01am PDT

7:00 am
>> whoa! >> the second stop has been revealed to us during the course of our investigation and was previously unknown to us. >> getting to the right answer is more important than the speed. >> the police are sitting here
7:01 am
and watching this so it's about a balance. ♪ city of baltimore. i'm brooke baldwin. carol costello has the day off. thank you so much for being with me here on this friday. a lot happening right now. in a matter of 30 minutes, for the very first time we learned we'll hear from the 35-year-old state's attorney here in the city of baltimore. she is the one who has been handed this police investigation a day early. we reported on that yesterday. we will be hearing from her just across the street where where i'm standing at the war memorial. we'll bring that news conference for you as soon as it happens. also breaking at this moment the medical examiner's investigation is officially complete. this is a big deal.
7:02 am
this is the autopsy report that has now officially been handed over to the state's attorney's office this morning according to an official in the office of the chief medical examiner. so a lot to talk about here this friday morning. let me bring in our cnn legal analyst and former federal prosecutor sunny hostin who is here with me in baltimore. also i have cnn law enforcement analyst tom fuentes. welcome to all of you this morning. wow. we have several bits of news that just dropped on us. first, sunny, to you, the fact that we will now be hearing from the state's attorney. she's new at this. she has a massive case on her hands. she's the one who has the power to potentially bring criminal charges against the six suspended officers. what do we expect to hear from her? >> i think this is smart. i think she needs to take the lead and get in the front of this especially given the fact that the medical examiner's repo handed to her today.
7:03 am
people have already been critical of her because of her experience. she's never tried a violent crime felony. she's never tried a murder case. so this will be a real test of her leadership in terms of how she's able to handle this investigation from the top. i think in terms of the medical examiner's report people are going to want to hear what is in that report and perhaps she's going to give us an idea as to what is in that report. the public is going to demand it. i think this is probably the most important piece of evidence in this case. >> it's the why. how is it that 25-year-old freddie gray died. here is my question to you, tom. let me make sure everyone is
7:04 am
caught up. our affiliate wjla says baltimore police investigation found no evidence that freddie gray died as a result of his rest. gray's death was caused by catastrophic injuries after he slammed into the back of the van. apparently breaking his neck a head injury he sustained matches a bolt in the back of the van. when you hear those details and "the baltimore sun" says that injury happened inside the van. what does that tell you? >> it tells me that you have this coming out as a result of a leak and i mistrust most leaks anyway. i think in this case the way it's worded and from what we hear it doesn't sound right to me that they could be so precise, a particular bolt inflicted a particular injury in the back of that van.
7:05 am
it sounds precise for what a medical examiner normally says about a killing. >> that's interesting you say that. >> i think what's going to be important in terms of the m.e.'s report generally a medical examiner will make two determinations, cause of death and manner of death. certainly we'll hear about what called his death. was that a cervical spinal some sort of break, was it a voice box being crushed. i think what's going to be very important is whether or not the medical examiner determines this was a homicide. and if the medical examiner determines that this is inconclusive that's going to be troubling for this prosecution. >> that will be in this report? >> it should be. >> okay. what about this undisclosed van stop tom fuentes? let me go back to that. we heard from the police
7:06 am
commissioner here yesterday saying there was an additional stop. no we didn't tell the public about it until now. there were follow-up questions and they're not saying much beyond that. we've been in the communities. people here are very angry. they questioned the transparency of baltimore police but i read some of what you said and you say -- first of all, let me back up a half step. whose responsibility is it tom to report each and every stop this prisoner transport van makes along the way to the police station? >> the driver should radio that into dispatch that he's making a stop for whatever reason and used whatever stop they used 10-7 at a certain location and what the reason is for pulling over do i need backup? is there a problem with people in the van that he wants additional officers to come provide assistance. that would come up on the police recordings the radio dispatch recordings and they would have had that the first day. the fact that he doesn't radio it in that he's stopping is one problem.
7:07 am
the second problem is he didn't apparently tell him he made that stop. that's a second problem. and it does make other things possible. that van could have pulled over and waved over another police car driving by and nothing would be on the radio and say come here and it's not impossible that other police officers and the driver got in the back of that van and hurt freddie gray and in this case mortal injuries. so that's all possible. we just don't know based on that. in terms of police management at the top or mayor, i don't blame them if the officer that drove that van withheld that information and now they are getting videos that many shop owners are not aware that their straet street cameras recorded. >> it sounds like in this particular market it was looted.
7:08 am
he lost his laptop. so to your point, that would be -- >> they had the recording from that laptop before the looting. the police had gone -- they're going door to door to door along the route asking business owners do you have security? do you have a video. in this case they did. they were allegedly able to download that information from the laptop before it was looted and stolen. >> it's important information to include in the conversation. tom and sunny, stand by. i want to go now to rene marsh. you are at the intersection referred to as penn north. this is the intersection right by that burned down cvs. i see police over your shoulder. i understand the presence of people from the community is really ramping up right now. >> what's really ramping up within the last five minutes or so you see those buses there. five buses filled with officers dressed in riot gear just arrived at this intersection.
7:09 am
take a look. this is just one side of the street right now. you see the state troopers there in their gear riot gear masks are up. and you have the national guard here as well. we are standing right in front of that cvs. if you look at any corner here in this area you can see that there is a large presence. i want you to swing. if you just swing over there across the street you can see again every single corner. this area just essentially in the last five minutes they flooded the zone here. i spoke with one officer who said this is simply in response to the fact that they know that that medical examiner's report has been delivered to the state attorney's office and one would believe they are preparing for whatever may happen. it's been quiet out here. i would say the presence of police officers much larger than any protesters. i don't see anything like that at this point but they are clearly prepared. brooke? >> okay.
7:10 am
rene marsh, we'll keep a close eye on you there now that the news is out that the medical examiner has officially handed over this full autopsy report to marilyn mosby. this is the first time that we've heard from that 35-year-old state's attorney. the city prosecutor here who ultimately has the power to determine whether she wants to charge any of these six currently suspended baltimore police officers, charge chemthem criminally in the wake of the death of freddie gray. stay here. i'm brooke baldwin live in baltimore. this is cnn's special live coverage. we'll be right back. meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one
7:11 am
natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more.
7:12 am
we all enter this world with a shout and we see no reason to stop. so cvs health is creating industry-leading programs and tools that help people stay on medicines as their doctors prescribed. it could help save tens of thousands of lives every year. and that w ould be something worth shouting about. cvs health, because health is everything.
7:13 am
you total your brand new car. nobody's hurt,but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had a liberty mutual new car replacement, you'd get your whole car back. i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. new car replacement is just one of the features that come standard with a base liberty mutual policy. and for drivers with accident forgivness,rates won't go up due to your first accident. learn more by calling switch to liberty mutual and you can save up to $423. for a free quote today,call liberty mutual insurance at see car insurance in a whole new
7:14 am
light. liberty mutual insurance. here we go. live pictures just outside of the war memorial here just across the way from city hall. tremendous media presence because we're watching and waiting to hear for the first time from this 35-year-old state's attorney. city prosecutor here who has been handed the case one day early, the case of 25-year-old freddie gray and his death in police custody. she's marilyn mosby. she has the power ultimately to decide whether she wants to bring criminal charges against any of these police officers in the death of freddie gray. watching that. that's happening minutes from now. let's also now go to the
7:15 am
national guard staging area here in the city of baltimore and my colleague joe johns. joe johns has spoken with the medical examiner's office and this is significant, too. this is the other piece of news we received in a matter of minutes that we also know that autopsy report has been complete and handed over to the state's attorney's office. what did the m.e. office tell you, joe? >> well first, let me say this. i sat down with them probably 24 to 48 hours after the death of freddie gray. the medical examiner's office was telling me at that time they didn't expect results for up to 60 days from that date. it's absolutely extraordinary for them to be saying now that they have completed their investigation. this m.e.'s office in the state of maryland sees itself as best practices orientated. very by the book.
7:16 am
so they obviously pushed this thing through just as quickly as possible to try to get it in the hands of the state's attorney's office. it was also clear to me at least at that time that the medical examiner's office was going to be very reluctant, brooke to push out any information because they say that simply not the way they do things. one other point as you know there has been a private autopsy done on the body of freddie gray. i asked the medical examiner's office about that at that time. they were very welcoming of it. they essentially told me the more eyes the better on this. so they were not opposed to that idea brooke. >> okay. joe johns, thank you so much. let's broaden out the conversation and bring in reverend jamal bryant. reverend lovely to see you. >> my pleasure. good morning. >> let's begin with this notion that a, we now know and this community now knows that this
7:17 am
autopsy report has been handed over to marilyn mosby, to the state attorney and also we know that the police investigation was handed over to the state's attorney a day early. that said, you're emmassamassed in this community. where are we? >> a few days ago they said we would have answers on may 1st. the community interpreted we'll have a verdict as to whether or not they will be indicted which is not the case remotely. and so we've been spending the last couple of days in the local high schools to really do educational process on how long this really takes in realtime and not in law & order time but how long it takes to get findings done and we're going in the community this afternoon to feed a thousand families in that community to let them know we've not forgotten that economy is still a major issue in the social justice fight.
7:18 am
>> to your point you said to me in commercial break this is about feeding and not fighting. we were just showing pictures of that penn north intersection where you see this ramped up presence of lawens enforcement in anticipation of a gathering of folks in the community who are frustrated. they wanted answers. now that they know that this autopsy report is out, they're not getting anything tangible. we will hear from marilyn mosby in a matter of minutes, but why is it important to keep it off fighting and talk to these young people to stop? >> it'sened understanding that it's part of the process and peaceful protests make progress as long as we're focused on orioles and cvs, we lose sight of what to do. keep the main thing the main thing which is police reform social justice to do away with corruption within the police department that won't happen overnight. it will take time and so walking them through that are people are
7:19 am
angry but they're still intelligent. you have to talk to them in clear terms about what the expectations should be. >> will you have special guests coming to baltimore today? the second you leave me where are you headed? >> going to pick up the family of trayvon martin that have come to stand with us and the call for calm and peace. they are also going to have a strategic meeting today with the gray family to lend for them some moral support because they know what this journey feels like. >> i have been talking to young people the last couple days and i asked them because there are so many people expecting charges today, that's not happening -- two sides of this. one group said that we saw what happened here on monday. there were worries there could be repeats of that tonight and into the weekend. a young woman i spoke with yesterday said not at all. she's not worried about that. you're in this. what are these young people telling you? >> that they are very upset.
7:20 am
they are very frustrated. but they are very open to understanding. they want to be heard. >> will it be peaceful this weekend? >> i pray with everything in me that it is. i think you noted over the last couple days since monday we've had tremendous shrinkage night by night and i'm praying that if we get through today, i think we'll be on the right road and right path. >> what do you think of the other cities across the country, chicago, ferguson philadelphia new york all of these people coming together because they want to say we have baltimore's back. >> simply because you have to understand it's not a baltimore issue, it's a black america issue. when it was sanford, it was isolation. ferguson was a fluke. this is a constant pattern of behavior that loretta lynch, the new attorney general, is going to have to deal with and do it from top down because black and brown people are tired of being abused by people in blue. >> reverend thank you. >> i appreciate it. >> again, we are waiting to hear
7:21 am
from the state's attorney the city prosecutor here marilyn mosby will speak for the first time. don't expect major news as far as her announcing any kind of charges as some people in the community have anticipated but we now know she has that full police investigation from the city of baltimore and she also has that full autopsy report. stay right here. we'll take it live as soon as it happens. making a fist something we do to show resolve. to defend ourselves. to declare victory. so cvs health provides expert support and vital medicines. make a fist for me. at our infusion centers or in patients homes.
7:22 am
we help them fight the good fight. cvs health, because health is everything.
7:23 am
7:24 am
7:25 am
all right. you're watching cnn live here in baltimore watching this podium get set up. a lot of microphones because a lot of people want to hear what 35-year-old marilyn mosby is about to say. she's the state's attorney here in the city of baltimore. she's the one who has in her hands the baltimore city police investigation into the death of 25-year-old freddie gray and she also as we learned just this last hour has the full autopsy report from the medical examiner's office. we'll be hearing from her in a matter of minutes. stay tuned. we'll take it live. this autopsy here should help clear up some of the lingering questions over the death of freddie gray. let me share with you this fact. cnn affiliate wjal-tv out of our nation's capital citing sources saying that gray's head wound is consistent with a bolt in the back of the police van that was carrying him. gray's death provoked deep
7:26 am
skepticism about the police version of events. i can tell you four more rallies are planned today here in baltimore to demand answers. demonstrations are also expected as we've seen over the course of the last couple days nationwide. one question, these protesters are asking why that prisoner transport van carrying freddie gray why did it make an additional stop that wasn't disclosed until video of it came to light? we heard from the police commissioner here telling the public about that just yesterday. i have a former baltimore police officer with me and i have maryland house of delegates 40th district here with me here. gentlemen, good morning to both of you. delegate hayes, let me begin with you, as we can see out of the corner of our eyes the massive media presence in front of the war memorial where we'll hear from the state attorney. you know marilyn mosby and her husband, a city councilman here in baltimore. she's got a lot on her plate. >> absolutely.
7:27 am
>> tell me about her. >> marilyn, you know she lives not very far from the epicenter of all this where everything is taking place. she, like me one of the newly elected representatives in that part of west baltimore. she ran a serious campaign dedicated to finding justice in communities that were plagued with crime and developing partnerships in those neighborhoods. she has a lot of energy and great ideas. during the interim, she traveled working with other state's attorneys and learning best practices to make sure that baltimore was equipped and she was prepared to be a leader as a state's attorney as our top prosecutor in baltimore city. >> you have confidence in her? >> absolutely. >> peter, to you. let me just pivot and talk that you are a former baltimore police officer. you also wrote this opinion piece entitled why just blaming cops won't help baltimore and i read it and you said police
7:28 am
abuse has less to do with race and more about poverty and class. can you explain that for me sir? >> the baltimore police department is about half nonwhite. the city 65% african-american. it doesn't matter what race you are as a cop. generally you don't like the ghetto. they're not talking about the geographic area. they're talking about specific people in the ghetto that act ghetto. and that is a very strong class of distinction especially among african-americans police officers. act ghetto. i'm from the ghetto but i don't have to be ghetto. you hear that from african-american cops who are from the eastern and western districts. this is a class distinction. it's a distinct between middle class, working class, and ghetto class. it's a problem. >> do you want to respond to that delegate? >> i don't know who this gentleman is -- >> former baltimore officer.
7:29 am
>> it's unfortunate that he classified those communities as that. i spent the last couple days -- >> i didn't classify the communities. >> sounded like you did to me. you know i've been part of a community and grew up in a community where residents and neighbors take care of each other and some of our seniors and other community leaders are some of the biggest supporters of law enforcement and work in partnership to rid their neighborhoods of so many things. >> of course. the thing is police don't have to deal with those people because they're dealing with -- they can handle things themselves. the point is -- the point i'm trying to make is police have to deal with problems that we as americans refuse to deal with. i'm talking about the poverty, the crime, the racism the unemployment. these are america's problems and somehow it all gets stuck on the hands of police. we send them there and tell them to do the best they can and blame them all when one makes a mistake as one will. let me be clear. i'm not saying that everyone in that community is bad. of course not.
7:30 am
police have to deal with a very small segment of that community. >> peter, let me stay with you. as a former officer here in this city when you hear that the commissioner here told everyone yesterday for the first time that there was this previously undisclosed stop that this prisoner transport van made that makes people in the community who i have spoken with say, hang on a second. could it have been a coverup or an innocent error? how do you read it knowing the city police department here? >> i'm sorry, was that to me? >> yes, it was. did you hear me? >> i just had audio problems. everything is fine. the stops -- i don't know. that's the long and short of it. it's not crazy that a wagon would make stops. this is a routine thing. unfortunately tens of thousands of arrests happen every year in baltimore city. so yeah the van might stop. in this case we don't know
7:31 am
because even in the best case scenario there's a problem because someone went in handcuffs alive and came out dead. police know they're responsible for their prisoners. so clearly something went wrong. it's just a question of how and what? >> peter stand by. i have my colleague ashleigh banfield across the street from me. do you see any sign of her yet? >> no sign yet but it's remarkable how quickly you can announce there will be an ad hoc news conference and journalists show up. here's the thing. your last guest said the how, why and what is what the city is waiting for and people across the country may be waiting for.
7:32 am
it may be about freddie gray but it's about how this administration is going to handle the information regarding freddie gray and whether any changes will come of it. here's another issue. marilyn mosby is going to be faced with a very big task and that is to try to help communicate to the people of baltimore this process is not fast. the justice process is not fast. if it is it's not good. that's a really tough order because as the reverend jamal bryant told me a little while ago, brooke some people in this city expect actual verdicts today. that's just not going to happen. i highly doubt that the state's attorney is going to come out and announce indictments. that's so unlikely. anything can happen. it's so unlikely. there is a massive file -- i say that just literally. a massive file that landed in her office. it will take days and weeks and manpower to go through it. let's not forget that the state's attorney is also going to conduct her own investigation parallel to what the police have done and then there's the doj,
7:33 am
the justice department also conducting its investigation as well. so there's just myriad different sources of information that will have to converge in order for an accurate picture. factual picture of what happened to freddie gray that day. if that's even possible brooke because, listen a lot of different people involved a lot of different sources of information. it's going to be a very tricky process. >> okay. ashleigh banfield i'm with you. i'm listening. i also have some late breaking news here. okay. not yet. working on confirming this news as we wait to hear from marilyn mosby. again to you with your legal mind ashleigh banfield are you still with me? can you hear me over the sirens? >> i'm still with you, yeah. i think we just got notice that
7:34 am
she's going to be out shortly with her announcement brooke. go ahead. >> out shortly. so again, people in the community to your point i just talked to reverend jamal bryant. people in the community are expecting charges. they're expecting some kind of verdict. again, to manage expectations as you have explained so eloquently you are saying that reality of that is not likely because she was just handed the baltimore city police investigation just yesterday. we've learned today she's just been handed the report the full autopsy of 25-year-old freddie gray from the medical examiner's office. do we have any idea how long it might take in cases like this to come to any kind of conclusion and possible criminal charges? >> great question. yeah. if and there's the big one, if there is a conclusion and if there are criminal charges that will be afoot, i can't tell you that. i don't think anybody including
7:35 am
people in these buildings right here in the city square where city hall is located, this is the war memorial behind me where the state's attorney will make her announcement but no. there's a massive job ahead. i don't care how much manpower you have. it takes a long time. when you first murder trials, it's upwards of a minimum of two years before someone walks into a courtroom and faces a judge for the actual trial and faces a jury. two years is a pretty quick process in murder trials. now you have the eyes of this entire city laser focused on this case and every single detail every t that needs to be crossed, every i that needs to be dotted every witness that needs to be interviewed, reinterviewed and corroborated and every second witness to cob corroborate the credibility of the first witness. let's go back to ferguson. these are the kind of things that need to go on. that's a massive undertaking. like i said she's new in
7:36 am
office. three months now. had not held public office before. she was effectively in-house counsel for an insurance corporation. this is a very different kind of work. there will be different bodies within city government and i dare say state government as well and federal government that are going to be playing a hand in this. with all of the investigations that she has to do and all of the material handed over by the police and with doj working in concert, absolutely don't expect major announcements today. perhaps, i'm just going to take a wild guess here perhaps marilyn mosby will take that podium to appeal to this city for calm and patience first and foremost. to announce she has results of the medical examiner and the autopsy, which we have heard bits and pieces leaked from one of our affiliates here in baltimore that it effectively has some corroboration for an injury that freddie gray sustained that matches a bolt in the back of the police van. that may be one of the injuries. there may be other injuries. there may be so many that the
7:37 am
medical examiner's report and autopsy could be comprehensive and may take days or weeks to assess in itself. a lot of information and i just can't stress enough do not expect to hear major movements today from the podium. >> ashleigh banfield we won't go too far from you and that war memorial as we wait to hear from the state attorney marilyn mosby. been on the job four months. massive job ahead for her. standby. we'll take it live. meantime let's go down the road to west baltimore, this intersection. this is what they refer to as penn north. we have rene marsh standing by and perhaps in anticipation of some news an announcement or just speaking to her community, what are you hearing from people where you are? what are you seeing? >> i can't describe it any other way other than flooding the zone. that's what we've witnessed. we told you just a few minutes ago that we saw five bus loads
7:38 am
of police officers in riot gear and then just a short time ago we had all of these members showing up in riot gear as well. you can see as far as the eye goes in this area. they really have flooded the zone. this happened within just a matter of minutes. it goes on and on here. i was speaking to one of the officers and he toels me look the reason why we're out here and the reason we're out in these numbers is because of the news that this medical examiner's report has been delivered to the stay attorney's office so they are prepared from block to block, corner to corner in the event that anything happens. at this point everything has been relatively calm but as you can see, you just look all of the way down this block and this is what you see. you see the riot gear. you see the police officers. they are standing and waiting just in case the mood changes. at this hour here at pennsylvania and west north
7:39 am
avenue things relatively calm. everyone hoping that it remains that way, brooke. >> we are all hoping it remains that way, rene marsh. thank you so much. standby. again, live pictures on the right side of your screen. any minute now we should be seeing the state's attorney here. she's the city prosecutor in the city of baltimore. she's marilyn mosby. she's the one who has this huge case in her hands now. this death of 25-year-old freddie gray. will she bring charges? she has to go through this entire investigation dropped in her lap from baltimore city police and the medical examiner. that's not her. standby. we're watching and waiting. let's just listen. >> in just a few second state's attorney marilyn mosby will come out to speak with all of you. i want to make it clear before she speaks she will be joined by members of her executive team which does include members of the police integrity unit and
7:40 am
two independent investigators. the state's attorney will take questions but keep in mind this is an ongoing investigation so that means that the answers may be limited. if they can be answered at all. the correct spelling of the state's attorney's name is marilyn, m as in michael, a, r, i, l, y, n. middle initial is j. last name is mosby, m as in michael, o, s, b, y. with that we'll get started. thank you. you can feel the anticipation here. this is the war memorial. here we go.
7:41 am
this is just across from where i'm standing at baltimore city hall. i want to stop talking. let's just take the moment in. good morning. first and foremost i need to express publicly my deepest sympathies for the families of the loved one of freddie gray. i had an opportunity to meet with mr. gray's family to discuss some of the details of the case and the procedural steps going forward. i assured his family that no one is above the law and that i would pursue justice on their behalf. to the thousands of city residents, community organizers faith leaders and political leaders that chose to march peacefully throughout baltimore, i commend your courage to stand for justice. i also commend the brave men and women who stepped up monday night to protect our communities
7:42 am
from those that wished to destroy it. as the city's chief prosecutor i've been sworn to uphold justice and to treat every individual within the jurisdiction of baltimore city equally and fairly under the law. i take this oath seriously and i want the public to know that my administration is committed to creating a fair and equitable justice system for all. no matter what your occupation your age, your race your color, or your creed. it is my job to examine and investigate the evidence of each case and apply those facts to the elements of a crime in order to make a determination as to whether individuals should be prosecuted. this is a tremendous responsibility, but one that i sought and accepted when the citizens of baltimore city elected me as state's attorney and it's precisely what i did in the case of freddie gray. once alerted about this incident
7:43 am
on april 13th, investigators from my police integrity unit were deployed to investigate the circumstances surrounding mr. gray's apprehension. over the course of our independent investigation, in the untimely death of mr. gray my team worked around the clock, 12 and 14-hour days to canvas and interview dozens of witnesses, view numerous hours of video footage, repeatedly review and listened to hours of police videotaped statements surveyed the route, reviewed medical records and we leveraged the information made available to us by the police department, the community and the family of mr. gray. the findings of our comprehensive, thorough and independent investigation coupled with the medical examiner's determination that mr. gray's death was a homicide which we received today, as led us to believe that we have probable cause to file criminal
7:44 am
charges. the statement of probable cause is as follows. on april 12th, 2015 between 8:45 and 9:15 a.m. near the corner of north avenue and mount street lieutenant brian rice of the baltimore police department while on bike patrol with officers garrett miller and edward narrow made eye contact with mr. freddie carlos gray jr. having made eye contact with mr. gray mr. gray subsequently ran from lieutenant rice. lieutenant rice then dispatched over departmental radio that he was involved in a foot pursuit at which time bike patrol officers miller and narrow began to pursue mr. gray. having come in contact with pursuing officers mr. gray surrendered to officers in the vicinity of the 1700 block of pressberry street.
7:45 am
mr. gray was handcuffed and moved to a location a few feet from his surrendering position. he was placed in a prone position with his arms handcuffed behind his back. it was at this time that mr. gray indicated that he could not breathe and requested an inhaler to no avail. officers miller and narrow then placed mr. gray in a seated position and found a knife clipped to the inside of his pant's pocket. the blade of the knife was folded into the handle. the knife was not a switchblade and is buffalo underlawful under maryland law. mr. gray was placed back down on his stomach at which time mr. gray began to flail his legs and scream as officer miller placed mr. gray in a restraining technique known as a leg lace. while officer narrow physically held him down against his will until a bpd wagon arrived to
7:46 am
transport mr. gray. lieutenant rice officer miller and officer narrow failed to establish probable cause for mr. gray's arrest as no crime had been committed by mr. gray. accordingly, lieutenant rice officer miller and officer narrow illegally arrested mr. gray. upon arrival of the transport wagon driven by officer caesar goodsen, the officers loaded mr. gray into the wagon and at no point was he secured by a seat belt while in the wagon contrary to a bpd general order. lieutenant rice then directed bpd wagon to stop at baker street. at baker street lieutenant rice officer narrow and officer miller removed mr. gray from the wagon, placed flex cuffs on his wrists placed leg shackles on his ankles and complete pdd required paperwork. the officers then loaded mr. gray back into the wagon placing him on his stomach headfirst
7:47 am
onto the floor of the wagon. once again, mr. gray was not secured by a seat belt in the wagon contrary to a bpd general order. lieutenant rice then directed officer goodsen to transport mr. gray to the central booking and intake facility. following transport from baker street mr. gray suffered a severe and critical neck injury as a result of being handcuffed shackled by his feet and unrestrained inside of the bpd wagon. from baker street officer goodsen proceeded to fremont avenue where he subsequently parked the wagon and proceeded to the back of the wagon in order to observe mr. gray. despite stopping for the purpose of checking on mr. gray's condition, at no point did he seek nor did he render any medical assistance for mr. gray. officer goodsen returned to his driver's seat and proceeded toward the central booking and intake facility with mr. gray still unsecured by a seat belt
7:48 am
contrary to a bpd general order. several blocks later officer goodsen called into dispatch that he needed to check on the status of his prisoner and requested additional units at dolphin street and drew hill avenue. officer william porter arrived on the scene near dolphin street and drew hill avenue. officer goodsen and officer porter proceeded to the back of the wagon to check on the status of mr. gray's condition. mr. gray at that time requested help and indicated that he could not breathe. officer porter asked mr. gray if he needed a medic at which time mr. gray indicated at least twice that he was in need of a medic. officer porter then physically assisted mr. gray from the floor of the van to the bench. however, despite mr. gray's appeal for a medic, both officers assessed mr. gray's condition and at no point did either of them restrained mr.
7:49 am
gray per bpd den order nor render or request medical assistance. a request for additional units was made for an arrest at the 1600 west north avenue. officer porter left the vicinity of dolphin street to assist in the arrest of another prisoner at north avenue. despite mr. gray's obvious and recognized need for medical assistance, officer goodsen in a grossly negligent manner chose to respond to the 1600 block of west north avenue with mr. gray still unsecured by a seat belt in the wagon without rendering to or summoning medical assistance from mr. gray. officer goodsen arrived at north avenue to transport the individual arrested at the location of north avenue and pennsylvania avenue at which time he was again met by officer narrow miller porter and lieutenant rice. once the wagon arrived, officer
7:50 am
goodsen walked to the back of the wagon and again opened the doors to the wagon it make observations of mr. gray. sergeant alicia white, officer porter and officer goodsen observed mr. gray unresponsive on the floor of the wagon. sergeant white, who was responsible for investigating two citizen complaints pertaining to mr. gray's illegal arrest spoke to the back of mr. gray's head. when he did not respond, she did nothing further despite the fact that she was advised that he needed a medic. she made no effort to look or assess or determine his condition. despite mr. gray's seriously deteriorating medical condition, no medical assistance was rendered or summoned for mr. gray at that time by any officer. after completing the north avenue arrest and loading the additional prisoner into the opposite side of the wagon containing mr. gray officer
7:51 am
goodsen then proceeded to the western district police station where contrary to the bpd general order he again failed to restrain mr. gray in the wagon for at least the fifth time. at the western district police station, the defendant arrested at north avenue was unloaded escorted and secured inside of the police station prior to attending to mr. gray. by the time officer zachary novak, sergeant white and an unknown officer attempted to remove mr. gray from the wagon, mr. gray was no longer breathing at all. a medic was finally called to the scene where upon arrival the medic determined that mr. gray was now in cardiac arrest and was critically and severely injured. mr. gray was rushed to the university of maryland shock trauma where he underwent surgery. on april 19th, 2015 mr. gray succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead. the manner of death deemed a
7:52 am
homicide by the maryland state medical examiner is believed to be the result of a fatal injury that occurred while mr. gray was unrestrained by a seat belt in the custody of the baltimore police department wagon. all events occurred in baltimore city state of maryland. while each of these officers are presumed innocent until proven guilty we have brought the following charges. officer caesar goodsen is being charged with second-degree depraved heart murder involuntary manslaughter, second-degree negligent assault, manslaughter by vehicle by means of gross negligence manslaughter by vehicle by means of criminal negligence, misconduct in office for failure to secure a prisoner failure to render aid. officer william porter is being charged with involuntary manslaughter assault in the second degree, misconduct in
7:53 am
office. lieutenant brian rice is being charged with involuntary manslaughter assault in the second degree misconduct in office false imprisonment. officer edward narrow is being charged with assault in the second degree intentional, assault in the second degree negligent, misconduct in office false imprisonment. officer garrett miller is being charged with intentional assault in the second degree assault in the second degree negligent, misconduct in office and false imprisonment. sergeant alicia white is being charged with manslaughter involuntary manslaughter second-degree assault, misconduct in office. while i am committed to transparency what i have revealed here today is now a matter of public record. however, the evidence that we have collected and continue to
7:54 am
collect cannot ethically be released to the public. i strongly condemn anyone in law enforcement with access to trial evidence who has leaked information prior to the resolution of this case. you are only damaging our ability to conduct a fair and impartial process for all parties involved. i hope that as we move forward with this case everyone will respect due process and refrain from doing anything that will jeopardize our ability to seek justice. to the people of baltimore and demonstrators across america, i heard your call for no justice, no peace. your peace is sincerely needed as i work to deliver justice on behalf of this young man. to those that are angry, hurt or have their own experiences of injustice at the hands of police officers i urge you to channel the energy peacefully as we prosecute this case.
7:55 am
i heard your calls for no justice no peace. however your peace is sincerely needed as i work to deliver justice on behalf of freddie gray. to the rank and file officers of the baltimore city police department please know that these accusations of these six officers are not an indictment on the entire force. i come from five generations of law enforcement. my father was an officer. my mother was an officer. several of my aunts and uncles my recently departed and beloved grandfather was one of the founding members of the first black police organization in massachusetts. i can tell you that the actions of these officers will not and should not in any way damage the important working relationships between police and prosecutors as we continue to fight together to reduce crime in baltimore. thank you for your courage, commitment and sacrifice for
7:56 am
the betterment of our communities. lastly i would like to thank my team for working around the clock since the day that we learned of this tragic incident. we have conducted a thorough and independent investigation of this case. this independent investigation was led by my deputy state's attorney janice and michael. my investigators wayne williams avon and the hard working investigative team that were here and still are very much committed to pursuing justice. i would also like to thank the baltimore city police department particularly major bradford of the homicide unit and rodney hill of the internal affairs division for providing us with a hard copy of their investigative materials yesterday. information that we already had. lastly i would like to thank baltimore city sheriff's department in assisting us with this investigation as an independent law enforcement
7:57 am
agency with police powers. to the governor of this great state of maryland thank you for expediting the autopsy report which enabled us to do our job. last but certainly not least, to the youth of this city. i will seek justice on your behalf. this is a moment. this is your moment. let's ensure that we have peaceful and productive rallies that will develop structural and systemic changes for generations to come. you're at the forefront of this cause. as young people our time is now. [ cheers and applause ] i'm going to take a few questions. >> how much of the police investigation that was delivered to you yesterday factored into your decision to go forward with these charges and how much of it was strictly your independent state's attorney investigation?
7:58 am
>> i can tell you we've been working with the police department from day one and from day one i also sent my own investigators to the scene. so we've been leveraging and being briefed on what's been going on with the police department. what we received from the police department yesterday, we already had. i can tell you that we independently verified those facts and everything that we received from the police department. it's a cullmination of the independent investigation we conducted and the information we received from the police department. >> reporter: were officers cooperative with your investigation? >> yes. >> reporter: you willall six? >> they gave a statement. i can't answer that. >> reporter: how many officers have been arrested and are they in custody right now? >> a warrant has been issued for their arrest. >> reporter: have any of them been taken into custody? >> i can't tell you that at this point. we filed a statement of charges this morning at about 9:30 10:00 this morning.
7:59 am
>> reporter: in the course of one week we've gone from riots to in your eyes the accomplishment of some justice. >> from the beginning we knew this was a serious case. we have been working independently and i can tell you that we put all of our resources to make sure that we were pursuing and leading where the facts took us in this case which was to pursue justice. >> reporter: will you appoint a special prosecutor? >> i can tell you from day one we independently investigated we're not just relying on what we were given by the police department period. >> reporter: do you think race was a factor in this arrest? >> i can't tell you that. i can't give you my opinion. >> reporter: some of the
8:00 am
protesters have a point. are you worried about appearance of any conflict of interest? >> i don't see an appearance of conflict of interest. my husband is a public servant. he works on the legislative side. i'm a prosecutor and also a public servant. i uphold the laws. he makes the laws. i will prosecute any case within my jurisdiction. >> reporter: can you tell us about the independent investigators that assisted in this case and why you brought them in? >> i thought it was important to have an independent analysis of what took place and transpired from the beginning. we are an independent agency from the police department. >> reporter: what needs to be done to make sure that what happened to freddie gray doesn't happen again? >> accountability. >> reporter: how do you get that? >>

139 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on