Skip to main content

tv   The Hunt With John Walsh  CNN  July 31, 2015 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
corroborated tensing's story, saying that they believed tensing had been dragged by dubose's car. that is not what they told the grand jury. they will not face any charges. anderson? >> jason carroll, thank you. the cnn special report "vanished:the mystery of malaysian flight 370" begins now. for 16 months, a mystery. >> nobody expects a 777 to vanish. it just doesn't happen. >> a state of the art aircraft with 239 people onboard disappears. >> malaysian 370. and a massive search finds nothing. >> it's in exactly the most remote part of the world. >> now, thousands of miles away from the search zone, a stunning
6:01 pm
discovery. >> debris found off the coast of reunion island in the indian ocean. >> we know it's come from a 777, but has it come from that 777? >> what could be the first piece of the plane ever recovered. a major break towards solving the mystery of malaysia airlines flight 37. >> we need to know what happened. it is not an option not to know. >> "vanished: the mystery of malaysia airlines flight 370". march 8th, 2014. kuala lumpur, international airport. just after midnight, the pilots of malaysia airlines flight 370
6:02 pm
are preparing for takeoff. >> it's all about checklists in aviation. they're going through checklists. >> miles o'brien is a pilot and aviation analyst for cnn. >> it doesn't matter how mundane it is, how many times you've done it, you do it religiously, because that is absolute foundation of safety in aviation. >> in a cockpit, 27-year-old first officer fariq hamid. this video shows him training on the 777. flight 370 was his first time flying the aircraft without an instructor. >> so while his experience level might have been low on the aircraft, he was totally up to date on how to fly it. a lot of airline pilots tell me these are the best people to fly, because they've just come out of rigorous training. >> next to fariq, zahaire shaw, a captain with over 18,000 hours in the air and a stellar
6:03 pm
reputation. >> captain zaharie, we go way back. >> my wife is a chief stewardess. so my wife is on board the aircraft, i would like zaharie to fly the plane, because i have great confidence in the guy. >> and there is real confidence in the aircraft they're about to fly. the boeing 777. >> it's a great airplane. it's got a sterling record of safety. >> that aircraft, of all the aircraft i have flown. and the automation is just fantastic. >> for any critical electric of hydraulic system that would fail, there are two or three backup systems. after making their final preparations, the pilots are ready for pushback. at 12:32 a.m., the pilots taxi
6:04 pm
to the runway. >> 370, cleared for takeoff. good night. >> right cleared for takeoff. thank you. bye. >> cleared for departure. flight 370 takes off for a six-hour scheduled flight to beijing. >> the human control, the direct physical control on the controls will probably caused after the landing gear goes up. >> by 1:00 a.m., the crew and passengers onboard are cruising comfortably at 25,000 feet. even the pilots can relax a little bit. the plane is basically now flying itself. >> there was no particular challenge there for a seasoned captain and that first officer to handle that flight without any problem. >> and at 1:07 a.m., all seems
6:05 pm
well, according to an automatic message sent from the aircraft's communication system, called acars. richard quest is an aviation correspondent for cnn. >> think of acars as a giant smartphone, that will send out huge amounts of information via satellite or by radio transmission. >> then at 1:19 a.m., a standard handoff with air traffic control, as the plane leaves malaysian air space, and enters vietnamese air space. >> malaysian 370, contact hoe chi minute 120 decimal 9 good night. >> the controller here, attempting to speech to ho chi minh, and he says good night, 370. something i would do. >> there is no indication that anything had gone wrong. >> david soucie is a former safety inspector for the faa.
6:06 pm
so for the first 40 minutes of this flight, up to that point, everything has been routine. >> mm-hmm, yes. >> everything was routine until now. two minutes after talking with air traffic control, 40 minutes into the flight, the plane's transponder goes dark. >> the plane's transponder is effectively the instrument by which sends out a signal to air traffic control. it tells you what height it's at, which direction, and what speed it's traveling. suddenly, this giant 777 is blind to the world. >> and there's no easy explanation for why it happened. >> either it was intentional and someone tried to turn all of those systems off at once, or the pilot was unable to communicate, kept from communicating, or there was a mechanical failure of some kind that took all those systems out at one time. >> then, muninutes after the transresponder stops, the 777 makes an unexpected turn,
6:07 pm
heading west and way off-course. >> that the plane turned immediately after the transponder went off is completely inexplicable and very worrisome. >> peter golds is a former managing director of the ntsb. >> we don't know whether this was done voluntarily, whether it was done under duress, we simply have no idea. >> no idea what really happened. but golds sees a red flag. >> it was completely out of the ordinary that there was no distress call. that the turn takes place and there's absolute silence, it means that somebody on that plane redirected it to a new course setting and they were not telling anyone. >> not telling anyone, and never checking in with vietnam air traffic control. >> the fact that the westerly turn happens the point of
6:08 pm
handover between malaysia and vietnam, for many, is the strongest evidence that something nefarious was going on. >> you've investigated many incidents. is that coincidence that everything seems to go wrong at this particular critical moment? >> it can't be coincidence. i don't believe in coincidence with my accidents. it just seems to me that there was something. now, it doesn't mean it was nefarious or anything else, but remember, there's a lot of systems doing a lot of things at that time as well. >> so the critical moment is at this handover. when you're essentially in this kind of no man's land in the sky. >> yeah, nobody's watching right then. >> for 19 minutes, no one was watching. >> and flight 370 would vanish. coming up, a critical
6:09 pm
mistake by air traffic control with time running out. >> the aircraft was still flying, as we know now. that just is so painful to think about, that four hours later, no one's looking yet. milk has 8 grams of high-quality protein. which could be the difference between just living life. and milking it. start every day with the power of protein and milk life.
6:10 pm
6:11 pm
is precious to us. so when coverage really counts, you can count on nationwide. we put members first. join the nation. ♪ nationwide is on your side
6:12 pm
in the middle of the night on march 8th, 2014, at 1:21 a.m., malaysia airlines flight
6:13 pm
370 vanishes into thin air. there's been silence from the cockpit and by 1:37 a.m., a second flight communication system, acars, isn't working either. >> acars was either switched off or it failed. we don't know which. because whatever did happen, this is the crucial moment. we pretty much know that all the comes are disabled, switched off, broken, blown up. >> as an investigator looking at this, what would the determination be, at least at this point as the to what is happening? >> at this point, i've got two different paths. one is that that aircraft was taken over and that the systems were intentionally shut down. the other side would be that there was a singular failure at a common location. and that singular mechanical failure would have done exactly the same thing.
6:14 pm
at this point in the investigation, there is no evidence one way or the other. >> but there would be piles of evidence if acars hadn't stopped transmitting. >> you would know the air-condition of the engines, the route it was taking, tatthe altitudes it was taking. we would know exactly the state of that aircraft. >> just the kind of information someone taking over a plane wouldn't want anyone to know. >> if you were doing something nefarious, then switching off acars would be a crucial part of making the plane go dark. >> 17 minutes after the plane went dark, 19 minutes after the last words from the cockpit, there was still no check-in with vietnam air traffic control. a call former chief pilot nick
6:15 pm
hooslan has been made hundreds of time. >> you have to be like drunk to forget to check which in after somebody tells you immediately to check in. every pilot wants to do that as soon as possible. anything more than two to three minutes, already abnormal. >> around 1:38 a.m., air traffic controllers try to reach the aircraft. >> they tried the radio, they tried to call and see if mh-370 was out there. no response. >> you attempt to communicate directly with the aircraft first? >> that's the first thing you do. if that's not successful, you try to contact other aircraft around. they tried to do that. and those aircraft tried to raise mh-370 as well. no success. >> with no response, an air traffic controller in kuala lumpur calls malaysia airlines for help. >> i think fundamentally, you have to assume, nobody expects one of these planes to fall out of the sky. nobody expects a 777 to vanish. >> and malaysia airlines tells
6:16 pm
air traffic control a completely different story. they say mh-370 hasn't vanished at all. according to their own internal flight tracking system. >> malaysia airline says, oh, the air bcraft's fine. we know exactly where it is. >> yet they've had no kmaun communication. >> behave had none. so their system was showing that the aircraft continued to go on that heading. >> over the next hour and a half, malaysia airlines gives air traffic control more promising messages. they had exchanged signals with the flight, the plane was in normal conditions. and the plane was flying off the coast of vietnam along its scheduled flight path. >> and at that point, the guard is let down. you start going in a different direction. you're not search and rescue anymore. you're just trying to communicate. >> but an hour and a half after that first reassuring message, a tragic realization. malaysia airlines now tells air
6:17 pm
traffic control the information was wrong. >> we don't know where the aircraft is. our system told us it was there, but it wasn't. >> the airline tells air traffic control their flight tracking program was based on flight projection and not reliable for aircraft positioning. >> everything went wrong there. everything. it borders on scandal. the airline in the middle of there, just offering up just completely red herrings and dead ends. it's inexcusable. >> at best, the malaysia airlines information to air traffic control was unhelpful. at worst, it was downright damaging to getting an investigation and a search underway quickly. >> not only did malaysia airlines have bad information,
6:18 pm
air traffic control waited to sound the alarm. >> i think air traffic control waited so long, because it's just a normal confusion of the moment, but at some point in all of this, an air traffic controller can push the big red button that says, help. panic. missing plane. and that's what they didn't do until much later. >> not until two hours after it's clear the plane is lost did air traffic control notify emergency responders. >> that two hours was incredibly critical towards finding the aircraft and finding it, if there were survivors. >> and it had been four hours since atc had last spoken with the cockpit. >> that just is so painful to think about. that four hours later, no one's looking yet. >> as precious hours pass, time
6:19 pm
is running out. while flight 370 flies further and further over one of the world's largest oceans. coming up, what happened onboard flight 370. >> we do not know who the perpetrator are. we will never know the reasons why. but definitely, there's a human hand involved. leave early go roam sleep in sleep out star gaze dream big wander more care less beat sunrise chase sunset do it all. on us. get your first month's payment plus five years wear and tear coverage. make the most of summer... with volvo.
6:20 pm
♪ hp instant ink can save you up to 50% on ink delivered to your door, so print all you want and never run out. plans start at $2.99 a month. right now, buy an eligible printer, and get three months of free ink with hp instant ink. available at participating retailers. the most affordable way to print. hp instant ink. hiking brought us togetherdom hikers. but that's not the only thing that keeps us coming back. here's to friends who reach for better. fewer carbs, fewer calories, superior taste. michelob ultra. the superior light beer. cancer 2 years ago. it was a priority for mike that he continue
6:21 pm
to be there for his family throughout his treatment continuing to live the life he loves. that's why he chose cancer treatment centers of america. there he found a comprehensive array of therapeutic options all under the same roof designed to fight his cancer, boost his energy and help him maintain his strength during treatment. mike and his clinical team developed a plan just for him. this is integrative cancer care. this is how mike fincham fights cancer. cancer treatment centers of america. for more information go to cancercenter.com appointments available now. some neighbors are energy saving superstars.
6:22 pm
how do you become a superstar? with pg&e's free online home energy checkup. in just under 5 minutes you can see how you use energy and get quick and easy tips on how to keep your monthly bill down and your energy savings up. don't let your neighbor enjoy all the savings. take the free home energy checkup. honey, we need a new refrigerator. visit pge.com/checkup and get started today.
6:23 pm
in the pitch black darkness, an hour after its last radio contact, the malaysian military spots a plane, where no plane should be in the middle of the night. they don't yet know it is mh-370. >> if you see a primary unidentified return flying towards your country at 500 plus knots, that should raise concerns very quickly. >> but it didn't seem to. by now, the 777 is believed to be hundreds of miles off its original course. >> we don't know what's normal for their military. and i think that a big part of the problem with this investigation is that the malaysians were very tight
6:24 pm
lipped about what they had, what they knew, and when they knew it. >> the malaysian air force, for reasons still not fully explained, doesn't tell anyone in civilian authority what it's seen. for hours. >> governments don't want to talk about this. they don't want to talk about holes in their radar system, a posture that is not as ready as they want the world to believe it to be. >> not only is no one told, nothing is done. no jets are scrambled. >> why would you have an air force if it's not capable of doing something like this? that's a big error. that's a big mistake. and frankly, the malaysian government has not really accounted for it in a proper way to these families and to the rest of the world. >> for david soucie, there's a gray area. >> here in the united states, we would know that in a heart beat. over there, it wasn't set up that way. there was a clear delineation between military and civil operations and the two just didn't meet each other.
6:25 pm
>> a missed opportunity? >> exactly. >> on the ground in beijing, of course, the families waiting patiently for the arrival of flight 370 knew none of this. finally, an hour half the plane was expected to land, playstation airlines makes its first public announcement. on facebook. >> flight mh-370 lost contact with air traffic control at 2:40 a.m. this morning. >> it quickly becomes the piggest stopig e biggest story in the world. >> the hunt for flight 370 now covers millions of square miles. >> the world's attention turns to the malaysian government and airline officials. to many critics, they don't seem to know what they're talking about. >> there was a deer in the headlights component to those early news conferences. and you could almost see them
6:26 pm
struggling through it, not knowing what they were doing. >> not understanding how to begin the investigation. >> there are currently 43 ships and 40 aircrafts searching for it. >> an unprecedented investigation that would baffle the greatest minds in the aviation world and the accident investigation world. >> they put out information without really corroborating it and much of it turned out to be false. >> i would like to refer to news reports suggesting that the aircraft may have continued flying for some time after last contact. as the airlines will confirm shortly, those reports are inaccurate. >> so they ended up, you know, on both sides of a bad situation, with too little information. >> even days after the plane disappeared, families believe they aren't being told the truth. this chinese woman demanded answers, just before another press conference in kuala lumpur. she didn't get any.
6:27 pm
>> after ten days to two weeks, there was a public perception that was set in stone that the malaysians were not able to handle this situation and that they were having trouble. >> as far as the images are concerned, i don't think we can actually verify when they were taken. i will check -- >> hold on, ladies and gentlemen. >> sorry, this is very important. >> i know it is, very important. >> family members were left asking, what on earth was happening. >> and one wonders, who the interests are being served is are protected by this long wait and something that's increasingly feeling surreal and rapidly turning into a farce. >> my priority here, the orange area. >> adding to that, the early conflicting reports on where authorities think the plane actually is. and whether it had turned or not. >> initially, the malaysians
6:28 pm
said there was no turnaround. the transport minister said, no turnaround. and he was very definitive and that was misleading and that was wrong. it's noticeable in the day and days after, he became -- he hedged. he hedged. he suddenly, i'm not talking about that. i'm not saying that, i'm not commenting on that. >> weeks after the flight vanished, richard quest did put some of those questions to malaysia's prime minister. >> what would you say to the critics, and be blunt, prime minister, who say that malaysia wasted time on various parts of the investigation. >> you remember when the plane was reported lost, i was briefed that morning and i took the decision that we must search more areas. the south china sea and the northern part. >> but no one was willing to comment either on the biggest unanswered question. did mh-370 vanish because
6:29 pm
somebody with intent took over its controls? >> there is some level of human intervention. this is undoubted. >> nick hooslan has piloted the plane thousands of times. >> we do not know who the perpetrator are. we will never know the reasons why. but definitely there's a human hand involved. >> no matter what scenario you go with, we're deep into the world of crazy. crazy scenario, obscure scenario, evil scenario, whatever it is, we're in crazyland. this is stuff that doesn't happen. >> but it did happen. a truly astounding mystery. there is only a handful of verifiable facts and after the confusion, delay, and chaos engendered in the first few weeks comes this. a completely different search area, based purely on mathematics. >> it's never been done before. they were making it up as they
6:30 pm
go along. they were using information that was never intended to be used for this purpose. >> coming up, searching in all the wrong places. >> why was there so much confusion when it came to where to search? >> we had no idea where that aircraft was. but yet the pressure's on to do something. when you're not confident you have complete visibility into your business, it can quickly become the only thing you think about. that's where at&t can help. at&t's innovative solutions connect machines and people... to keep your internet of things in-sync, in real-time. leaving you free to focus on what matters most.
6:31 pm
imagine - she won't have to or obsess about security. she'll log in with her smile. he'll have his very own personal assistant. and this guy won't just surf the web. he'll touch it. scribble on it. and share it. because these kids will grow up with windows 10. get started today. windows 10. a more human way to do. ♪usic: "another sunny day" by belle and sebastian ♪
6:32 pm
♪ such a shame it's labeled a "getaway." life should always feel like this. hampton. we go together. always get the lowest price, only when you book direct at hampton.com
6:33 pm
6:34 pm
on the morning of march 8th, four hours after flight 370 disappears, a search is launched in the south china sea, east of malaysia. >> as with any search, you start with where the plane was last seen. >> we begin this morning with a desperate search at sea after a jet carrying 239 people vanished off the southern coast of vietnam. >> but very quickly, overnight, very quickly, there's no debris. they can't find anything from the actor. and that's unusual. >> even more unusual, searchers also start looking in the opposite direction. hundreds of miles to the west. >> i sat in the studio, covering this, and we would look at each other, and he'd say, hang on, did he simply say, we're looking to the west? >> yes. that's because newly discovered
6:35 pm
military radar reveals the plane may have turned back to the west. at the same time, new leads are coming in. >> late today, chinese authorities released satellite photos of what they call a suspected crash site. >> an international fleet of aircraft and boats are now searching in two different areas. >> they had to look in the east, because that's where debris was allegedly being reported. they had to look in the west, because that's where their radar data had told them the plane had gone. >> but searchers still find nothing. days turn into weeks and the search area expands even farther. >> why was there so much confusion when it came to where to search? >> we had no idea where that aircraft was. yet the pressure is on to do something. >> it became the biggest oceanic search of all time. >> this is completely unprecedented on so many levels.
6:36 pm
nothing has ever happened quite like this. >> and into this confusion, suddenly drops the immarsat data. >> immarsat reports that flight 370 had exchanged digital handshakes with their satellites. >> that was a watershed moment and that changed everything. >> it changed everything, because everyone had thought flight 370 had gone completely dark. but the discovery of the dibgitl handshakes was proof that the plane was in the air for several hours longer than anyone thought. >> suddenly, they have evidence that it flew west and south and continued to fly for some 6 1/2 hours. >> using complicated calculations, immarsat could roughly determine where the plane was going. >> this is evidence that is kind of getting close to black
6:37 pm
managic. it's a feed of mathematics and ingenuity and reverse engineering, but we just don't know how accurate it is. >> but it is also the only hard evidence available to investigator investigators and the malaysian prime minister. >> i asked them again and again, are you sure, and their answer to me, we are as sure as we can possibly be. >> he needed to be sure, because based on those calculations, the prime minister was about to deliver some very somber news. >> flight mh-370 ended in the southern indian ocean. >> the southern indian ocean. thousands of miles away, where no one could likely have survived. family members were shocked.
6:38 pm
distraught and angry there would be no rescues, no debris. hour, a last hope remained. find the black boxes before they stop emit pings. >> you're not in an ivory tower. you haven't got the luxury of time. you've got pingers that may expire. so you've got to say, this is our best guess now. >> their best guess is a remote area more than twice the size of california. >> good morning. these are all the aircraft flying today. >> the australias take over the search. and soon after the australian ship lowers its towed pinger locator into the water, pings are detected. >> clearly, this is the most promising lead. >> wow, again. >> it was miraculous. they had just put the towed pinger locator in the water. >> i was convinced, this is it. they've got the answer, it's
6:39 pm
matter of days. >> a robotic submarine scours the 329-square-mile area where the pings were heard. it's painstakingly slow work. and two months later. >> a massive setback in the search for malaysian airlines flight 370. the u.s. navy says the underwater pings are not from the plane's black box. >> how big a setback was that? >> it was terrible. it felt like we were right back at the beginning again. >> back to the beginning and no closer to solving the mystery of malaysia flight 370. coming up, authorities investigate the last two men known to be in the cockpit of fright 370. >> we need to know what happened. it is not an option not to know.
6:40 pm
you know when you book a fabulous vacation cause the photos look amazing? but you get there and find out it's far from amazing. it's almost like it was too good to be true? that's like when you switch wireless carriers, and find yourself stranded with a frustrating, unreliable connection. if your network isn't working for you... come home to verizon and get 10 gigs for $80 a month plus $15 per line. verizon. come home to a better network.
6:41 pm
checking out the listing on zillyeah, i like it. this place has a great backyard. i can't believe we're finally doing this. all of this... stacey, benjamin... this is daniel. you're not just looking for a house. you're looking for a place for your life to happen. zillow.
6:42 pm
my name is jamir dixon and i'm a locafor pg&e.rk fieldman most people in the community recognize the blue trucks as pg&e. my truck is something new... it's an 811 truck. when you call 811, i come out to your house and i mark out our gas lines and our electric lines to make sure that you don't hit them when you're digging. 811 is a free service. i'm passionate about it because every time i go on the street i think about my own kids. they're the reason that i want to protect our community and our environment, and if me driving a that truck means that somebody gets to go home safer, then i'll drive it every day of the week. together, we're building a better california.
6:43 pm
malaysian 370. good night. >> good night. >> these are the last words heard from the cockpit of
6:44 pm
malaysia flight 370. and the moment the mystery begins. >> you have a series of events that appear to be human driven. you have a transponder being turned off. you have an acars system being turned off, you have the plane being turned not once, but at least twice, probably three times. >> and most perplexing, no distress call. >> there are so many ways to notify people that there's a distress. uhf radios, vhf radios. many, many ways. >> none of that happened? >> none of it, for seven hours. >> could the disappearance of mh-370 been deliberate? to answer that question, investigators zero in ton last two men known to be in control of the plane. seen here passing through security on the night of the flight. first officer, fariq hamid was only 27 years old.
6:45 pm
>> very young to be flying a 777 in the u.s., but had gone through all of the gates and had passed and us with a very senior guy. that's a perfectly safe scenario. >> there were these 2011 photos taken of fariq in the cockpit with two passengers that initially raised eyebrows. >> that was very concerning to me, that he would have invited someone into the cockpit. once you're in the air, that's it. >> i don't think we indict the first officer with that, but i do think it's something to note and remember as we think about what might have happened. >> fariq had known no motive and no apparent reason to take down the plane. >> there was just no indication that there was anything going on in his life other than he had made it. >> fariq had made it. and was on an impressive career trajectory. >> at 5,000 hours on a 737, you go from a small plane to a big plane. and this was his promotion. >> cnn aviation correspondent
6:46 pm
richard quest gained permission to fly malaysia airlines in february of last year. in an eerie coincidence, it was one of fariq's last training flights on the boeing 777. >> there is absolutely no question that he was a qualified, competent pilot. the captain said he was one of the best they had. he landed the aircraft perfectl perfectly. >> impressed. >> one of fariq's next flights would be his last. malaysia 370. and what about the pilot sitting beside fariq hamid? captain zaharie ahmad shah. >> there were questions about whether he were having extramarital relations, whether his marriage was actually in trouble at all. there was questions about his political affiliation to the
6:47 pm
opposition. >> then, there was the flight simulator zaharie had built in his home to practice landings. >> visiting the home of the pilot. >> it seemed like a potential lead. until investigators declared it a dead end. >> the examination of the flight simulators revealed nothing suspicious for the authorities. >> and nothing came of speculation about his marriage or political leanings. like first officer fariq, zaharie lacked any apparent motive. >> many aspects of the case had been centered on the captain. and the more they've looked, the less they've found. >> i just don't see any logic. i don't see any reason why he would want to be a rogue pilot. >> zaharie's sister spoke out to channel news asia. >> he does not -- he did not have that kind of makeup.
6:48 pm
>> socially, great guy. extremely helpful. and always willing to share. >> nick hooslan met zaharie at malaysia airlines during the rigorous days of flight school, 30 years ago. >> we had to polish our shoes, until we can count our teeth in it, you know? everything was very, very regimented. >> above all, hooslan remember his friend as a skilled and seasoned pilot, who loved to fly. seen here in a video tribute posted by his family. >> crazy about flying. he flies planes and builds small toy airplanes and flies them. he's got the life of aviation running through his veins. >> but if it wasn't zaharie and it wasn't fariq, what about the other passengers on flight 370? could it have been a hijacker? >> it would explain the fact that the radios were shut down, possibly systemically.
6:49 pm
it would explain why there may not have been communication. >> are there any suspects? >> they've gone through everybody on the aircraft and determined that there is no one there that would match the profile of someone who would take over that aircraft. >> if not human intervention, could something on the plane have malfunctioned? >> it's got to fly for another six hours. that's the problem. the mechanical questions. >> what kind of catastrophe could shut down the plane's communications, but still have allowed it to fly? >> anybody that chooses to hang their hat on one scenario or the other, in my view, is heading for a fault. the entire experience of air crash investigations is that, yes, it's usually the obvious, but it's quite frequently, it's something you'd never even thought of. >> there's no way to know, until
6:50 pm
the black boxes are found. >> until you put on the plane, how can you rule anybody, anything out? >> well, you can't. what you'll know from the black boxes is what happened. what you won't know, necessarily, is why. >> there are no black boxes inside human beings. that's >> that's what we need this this case. >> our best hope of solving one of the greatest mysteries of all time is somewhere in the indian ocean. >> we need to know what happened. we need to know whether this plane came down at the point of a gun, by the hand of the pilot or whether by mechanical failure. >> it is not an option not to know.
6:51 pm
6:52 pm
know. ahh, you're good. i like to bake. with at&t get up to $400 dollars in total savings on tools to manage your business.
6:53 pm
no articolors,flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, and no artificial smiles. because clean dressings, taste better. panera. food as it should be. another day shackled by wires. how long do we have to keep untangling for just a little taste of power?
6:54 pm
who knew charging could be so... draining? you can keep plugging away... or, you can change the way you charge. the samsung galaxy s6 and s6 edge, with built-in wireless charging capabilities. the southern indian ocean. rough, remote. forbidding. >> when we look at that route, as pilots, we all look at the
6:55 pm
charts when we look for the wake points and the air waves. there really aren't in. it's as remeote as you can get and still be on this planet. >> this is where the experts believe the wreckage might be. >> we're not searching for a needle in a hay stack. we're still trying to define what a hay stack is. >> that was march, this year, when this vessel set out in hopes of finding the plane and failed. >> we probably looked through a small number of hay stacks. >> the transportation safety bureau is still searching. >> this is no easy task. it's six days sailing out from the coast of australia. we're operating in the range towards the limits of the equipment that's available to us, which is the best equipment available.
6:56 pm
>> the search hasn't been easy. and it hasn't been cheap. >> this is the most expensive search in human history. period. nothing has come close to this in terms of its scope. this is all uncharted territory. literally and figuratively. >> and, yet, scouting the priority search zone yields nothing. >> not a single shred of evidence. not a one. is it possible there's noeting wreckage out there and we haven't seen it? as time goes on, eventually, something washes up. >> finally, days ago and thousands of miles from the search area, something washes up on a remote island near madag madagascar. >> what they found was an extremely intricate part of the
6:57 pm
wing. it's known as the flapperon. >> new debris that boeing is confident is from a 777. >> but has it come from that 777? is this the flapperon from malaysia mh370. that's the unknown. >> the debris will be an lied in france where a team of aviation experts will determine whether it's from mh-370. martin dolan is hopeful. >> it's from the 777 aircraft that we're aware of in the indian ocean that could have led to this is mh-370. but, as i say, we still need to confirm that. >> confirming would bring grieving families long-awaited information. >> in the absence of a body, in the absence of conformation of a
6:58 pm
crash, how could you just walk away from the potential, however small it is, that some miracle has happened. >> identifying the debris would mean that mh-370 didn't simply vanish. >> if this is part of mh-370, then it confirms that flight mh-3 e7 mh-370 ended in the southern indian oex. it doesn't tell us where, but it gives you that closure for the families. it tells you the plane ended up there the water. >> but it doesn't tell us why. a preliminary ind kats the plane was deliberately steered off kours e course. but until the records were found, answers remain elusive. and the stakes couldn't be higher. >> there's more than a thousand 777s out there. and that speaks to the crucial nature of finding the aircraft.
6:59 pm
not just for the humanitarian reasons of those on board. but they've got to know what happened. and the only way you're going to do it is to find the aircraft. get to the aircraft. it's a big, big hunk of ocean. it's going to take a long time. will we find it? i hope so. i know we can't stop looking. as long as we continue to look, there will be a chance it will be found. the way i have is it may not solve the mystery.
7:00 pm
my grandparents teach that there are some people using madagascar before. they respected the environment.

10 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on