Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  January 19, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PST

7:00 pm
you know what it's like? it's like she never even left. >> we're paying for some of their squirmishes that have been going on for centuries where they're fighting each other and yelli yelli yelling allah akbar. like i said before, let them duke it out and let allah sort it out. >> be honest, how much do you love this? this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. tea party sweetheart sarah palin takes the stage with the mogul who wants to be your next president. >> iowa, you say a lot. being here tonight, supporting
7:01 pm
the right man who will allow you to make america great again. god bless you, god bless the united states of america and our next president of the united states, donald j. trump! >> so, you know, do you hear that -- that sound that you hear right there, pundits' heads exploding all across america. if there's one thing we learned from this race is not conventional wisdom is usually wrong. so will the palin endorsement put trump over the top in iowa? will it leave ted cruz in the dust? and what about those democrats? stunning new poll numbers from new hampshire, is the clinton/sanders race about to blow up? boy, oh boy, it's going to be a good show tonight. lots going on. for those of you who may have mised it i want to begin with sarah palin endorsing donald trump as only she could. listen. >> look back there in the press box, heads are spinning. media heads are spinning. this is going to be so much fun.
7:02 pm
are you ready to make america great again? [ cheers ] we all have a part in this, we all have a responsibility. looking around at all of you, you hardworking iowa families. you farm families and teachers and teamsters and cops and cooks. you rock 'n' rollers and holy rollers. all of you who work so hard, you full-time moms, you with the hands that rock the cradle. just last week, we were watching our sailors suffer and be humiliated on a world stage. at the hands of iranian captors. in violation of international law. because a weak kneed capitulator in chief has decided that america will lead from behind and he who would negotiate deals, kind of with the skills
7:03 pm
of a community organizer maybe organizing a neighborhood tea, well, he deciding that, no, america would apologize and as part of the deal, as the enemy sends a message to the rest of the world that they capture and we kowtow and we apologize and then we bend over and say thank you, enemy? he, better than anyone, isn't he known for being able to command, fire -- are you ready for a commander in chief? you ready for a commander in chief who will let our warriors do thieir job and go kick isis' ass? for the gop establishment to be docking after donald trump's supporters, even, with accusations that are so false, they are so busted the way that this thing works.
7:04 pm
we, you, a diverse dynamic needed support base that they would attack, and now some of them even whispering they're ready to throw in for hillary over trump because they can't afford to see the status quo go, otherwise they won't be able to be slurping off the gravy train that's been feeding them all these years. they don't want that to end. how about the rest of us? right wing and bitter clinging, proud clingers of our guns, our god, and our religions and our constitution. tell us that we're not red enough, yeah, coming from the establishment, right. well, he, being the only one who's been willing, he's got the guts to wear the issues that need to be spoken about and debated on his sleeve. where the rest of some of these establishment candidates, they just wanted to duck and hide, they didn't want to talk about these issues until he brought them up. in fact, they've been wearing
7:05 pm
this political correctness kind of like a suicide vest. and enough is enough. you guys are all sounding kind of angry is what we're hearing from the establishment. doggone right, we're angry. justifiably so, yes. you know, they stomp on our neck then they tell us, just chill, okay, yeah, just relax. well, look, we are mad, and we've been had. they need to get used to it. this election is more than just your basic abcs, anybody but clinton. it's more than that this go around. when we're talking about a nation without borders, when we're talking about bankruptcies in our federal government, debt our children and grandchildren, they'll never be able to pay off. when we're talking about no more reagan-esque power that comes
7:06 pm
from strength, power through strength, when we're talking about our very existence. no, we're not going to chill. in fact, it's time to drill, baby, drill, down and hold these folks accountable. let me say something really positive about one of those individuals, rand paul. i'm going to tell you about that libertarian streak in him that is healthy because he knows you only go to war if you're determined to win the war. and you quit footing the bill for these nations who are oil rich. we're paying for. some of their squirmishes that have been going on for centuries where they're fighting each other and yelg yelling allah akbar, calling jihad on their heads forever and ever. like i said, let them duke it out and let allah sort it out. finally, friends, i want you to
7:07 pm
try to picture this. it's a nice thing to picture. exactly one year from tomorrow, former president barack obama -- [ cheers ] -- he packs up the teleprompters and the selfie sticks and the columns and all that hopey-changey stuff and he heads on back to chicago where i'm sure he can find some community there to organize again. there, he can finally look up, president obama will be able to look up and there over his head he'll be able to see that shining, towering, trump tower. yes, barack, he built that, and that says a lot. iowa, you say a lot. being here tonight, supporting the right man who will allow you to make america great again. god bless you, god bless the united states of america, and our next president of the united
7:08 pm
states, donald j. trump! >> i told you it was awesome. here to discuss, and there's a lot to discuss, indeed, congressman steve king, national co-chair for the ted cruz campaign, and katrina pearson, national spokesman for the trump campaign. i mean, you know, she said it, don't you love it, it's very interesting to watch, congressman king, but is this not a great day for senator ted cruz if you're a conservative? how can you beat that? >> well, you know, i like sarah and i enjoy her. i'm just sitting here thinking, it's my fault, it's my fault, don. >> why? >> we had ha chance to put the two of them out on the field together hunting pheasants here in iowa and i didn't press hard enough. they were standing right side by side. i was looking at this thinking it would be entirely different if they picked up shot guns and walked out there together and she'd be endorsing ted cruz today. >> do you think -- do you think they would be together had you done that, seriously? >> sure, i do. i think if they got a chance to
7:09 pm
know each other in that environment, sarah is an outdoors gal, ted is an outdoors guy. put them both together, that would have been the difference. they would have been bonded together and this speech would have been interchangeable, only been the name of the endorsee. i don't think it's policy. i really don't think it's policy and i don't think it's -- i don't think it's either a matter of competency, certainly there's no doubt ted cruz is very, very competent. he's demonstrated that many times. and so that's just what it comes down to. >> what is it, then? >> well, donald trump, when he decides that he wants somebody on his team, he is relentless and he is persistent and i think he has probably worked this very, very hard for this moment today. >> okay. katrina, you could see donald trump was standing there the side of palin watching all of this go down. how pleased is his campaign with this announcement, and how this announcement went? >> well, don, i think that today was a great day for the trump campaign. everyone is very excited and thrilled to have the governor on board.
7:10 pm
she is definitely one of the strongest conservatives out there and to have her endorsements on this campaign really helps. to congressman king's point, really if you don't understand why sarah palin is endorsing donald trump, donald trump is the one that is feared most by the gop establishment. they may not like senator ted cruz but fear donald trump just because of what he represents. he's not politically correct. he's not going to tow the line. he's not an ideologue. people want 14 points from think tanks. sarah palin is backing that outsider that's going to take it to the gop establishment. >> congressman king, you want to respond to that? she's basically shaying your candidate is an outsider, i don't want to put words in your mouth, he is politically correct and not as authentic as her candidate. >> i don't think there's any doubt. ted cruz stood in there and he's taken on the washington cartel. and if you look at the job he's
7:11 pm
done, he's the one that's run to the sound of the guns each time. when i look around, he's been in that fight with me. any time i've stepped up there, i look around and ted cruz is there. i think that katrina is right when she says donald trump's not an ideologue. i can't track his ideology. i can't predict what he's going to do. i can't be confident on the decisions that are made that they're anchored in the underlying principles that guide the rest of the conservatives. >> are you calling hip a flip-flopper? >> i'm not saying that. i'm saying that i can't track nor can i predict the decisions that donald trump will make. he makes his own decisions. there's no question. but they don't follow along consistently within a predictable ideology and that's what's different about donald trump and ted cruz. he's a constitutional christian conservative. he's guided by that and you can look at the positions he takes and the actions that he does and the statements he makes and they fit all within that and that is what america needs. >> so, katrina, you know -- >> i think that's the point. but i think that's the point, don, because when we look at the
7:12 pm
republicans that have run in the last few election cycles, what we essentially get on the primary trail is people auditioning for a role in 1776 on broadway. >> your point is taken. >> thenthy get elected anyone they don't govern accordingly. >> i want to stick with sarah palin, okay, if we can. we're going to talk in general about the candidates in a minute here. love her or hate her. that's what most people do, katri katrina. you have to admit that. she's an extremely polarizing person, candidate. this won't necessarily pay dividends for donald trump later on in the geraneral but did you campaign need to do this because you're running behind ted cruz in iowa for a few weeks now, even if it could hurt your candidate down the road? >> no, this isn't about the iowa polling numbers. governor palin likes donald trump. she's been very supportive of him even before she wanted to endorse him. and so we welcome that endorsement. the numbers in iowa are statistically tied at this point. this isn't something the trump campaign needed to do. this is something the trump campaign wanted to do because
7:13 pm
it's just another show of how broad the support is for the trump campaign. >> how much did this have to do with evangel kl, you believe, because let's put the ralph reed tweet up. put it this way, this is "the new york times," excuse any. it stays "palin's brand among evangelicals is as cold as the faucets in trump tower." i mean, what do you think about that? first, katrina. is this about garnering the evangelical vote, maybe? >> don, i'll just point you to last month. phyllis shafley came out in support of donald trump who's also a fire brand for much longer than sarah palin, in the pro-life movement, in the conservative movement, in the evangelical movement. this isn't just about evangelicals. sarah palin wanted to endorse donald trump and show her position. she has a lot of supporters who have been supporting zr ining d trump as well. >> congressman, i'll let you respond after the break. we're going to have you come back after the break. stay with me. >> i'll be here. did sarah palin's endorsement of donald trump seal the deal? >> you deserve the best.
7:14 pm
he is from the private sector. not a politician. can i get a hallelujah? >> hallelujah! we were below the 88th southern parallel. we had traveled for over 850 miles. my men driven nearly mad from starvation and frostbite. today we make history. >>bienvenidos! welcome to the south pole! if you're dora the explorer, you explore. it's what you do. >>what took you so long? if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. >>you did it, yay!
7:15 pm
[how about a thousand dollars money witmore?r refund? ♪ a thousand people win a thousand dollars on top of their refund. every single day. i will not lose. it's refund season.
7:16 pm
go on a first date. my passion is puppetry. here? i think we're done here. hate drama? go to cars.com research, price, find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama.
7:17 pm
donald trump rolling out the wig big guns in iowa tonight with sarah palin's big endorsement. back with me now, congressman steve king and katrina pierson. i'm going to let you respond. i was asking her how much of this really is all about courting evangelicals. you want to respond?
7:18 pm
>> well, i think that sarah has some attraction to the evangelicals here in iowa. i wouldn't say it's golden because you have to draw it in comparison to a number of the other voices and influence that we have in the state. one thing is, the father of the leader in the polls, and that would be rafael cruz, has been all over this state. he's a baptist minister, given sermons all over iowa and the country for that matter. it's hard to say you can wrap up the evangelical vote with that. the evangelical community will look at the faith of ted cruz and his father, i think they will go that direction. in addition to that, i just remember the speech that was given down at liberty university yesterday, and i don't think that went that well for donald trump when he said to the evangelicals 2 corinthians instead of ii corinthians. it's going to be hard to lock up
7:19 pm
the evangelical vote if those kindses of things are happening at liberty u. sarah means something in this race. i wouldn't want to disparage it at all. >> we may have you guys back here talking about glenn beck soon because he is reportedly going to endorse ted cruz. he took to facebook to slam sarah palin's endorsement of donald trump pointing out things he has flip-flopped on. big government bailouts, executive orders, not just abortion, but partial birth apportion. all of these views were held by donald trump during this administration when sarah and the tea party won a hard. fought election and under attack in 2010, djt, meanin donald j. trump, was given money to pelosi, reid, and rahm. i couldn't disagree with her more but she's played the game for years." he goes on to say "maybe the press was right about her but for all the wrong reasons." ouch, katrina, how do you respond to that? >> that was a lot.
7:20 pm
i'll have to go and look because it seems like glenn beck has been posting stuff that's been found out to not be true about donald trump. i'm going to have to go through that list you've given me. just because sarah palin is not supporting their guy all of a sudden all those horrible things are being said about her which lets me know that this might be the best endorsement that donald trump could have received considering he is the candidate that is building a broader base, a broader spectrum of voter, which the republicans absolutely need to win in november. >> congressman? >> well, here's this. donald trump is a showman. they put on a show today, and he's good at production, he's good at shows. that's out there and that's part of this. i'll go back to phyllis schlafly, when i read the text from what she had to say, it wasn't an endorsement. she was encouraging him saying this is the only one taking this on. it wasn't an endorsement like sarah palin gave an endorsement today. if glenn beck comes into iowa and endorses ted cruz, that will
7:21 pm
scoop the news from today and influence another segment of the caucusgoers. i stand with ted cruz and a full spectrum constitutional agenda. he's there. he's solid as he can be. i'm going to stand next to him all the way through this and i think he wins iowa. >> okay. i want to ask you this. this is our latest cnn poll of polls. this is in iowa, okay? it has ted cruz at 127%, and donald trump at 25%. if cruz loses iowa, what happens next? because it doesn't seem like cruz is going to win new hampshire. i ask you that because sarah palin has a lot of support in iowa. she is liked in iowa. as i said to kakatrina, maybe n in the general but this could help him in iowa and put him over the top. >> this is for me, don? >> yeah, that's for you. >> okay. thanks. i would put it this way, that of all the people in the race, it does come down to essentially a two-man race here in iowa. and when people go to the caucus and they take a look and they
7:22 pm
think, i might want to put in one for rubio or one for ben carson and tragically he lost a campaign volunteer in an accident today, brandon joplin. our hearts and our prayers go out to his family and to the carson campaign. >> absolutely. >> that's -- all of our sentiments i think we agree with that. as they go on down the line and look at the other candidates that are there that are lower in the polls, if you vote for one of those other candidates, what you're doing is affecting the vote total for one of the two leaders. i think it comes down to this. do you want a full spectrum constitutional conservative or someone who is very dynamic, a dynamic showman who is unpredictable and who has a track record that has been all over the place? i'm going to stick with ted cruz. >> even if this -- >> i believe caucusgoers will do that in iowa, too. >> you think he's still going to win iowa emp with sarah palin? >> i say it's a tight race but i think he wins awhat. >> let's say, katrina, donald trump goes on to lose in iowa e despite the one-two punch
7:23 pm
against him with sarah palin. how will he spin that when he's build his campaign on being a winner? >> well, the think the mere fact we're even having this conversation shows he's a winner whether he wins iowa or not. he's going to win new hampshire, he's going to win south carolina and all the other states that follow. i'm fwigoing to sit her and tel you, don, donald trump will why iowa.e and tell you, don, donald trump will why iowa. evangelicals, tea partyers and trvetive conservatives alike. the fight between second and third place, that's going to be with ted cruz and somebody out of the establishment. >> that was a good poker face you put on, too, there, congressman king until the very end. thank you, both. i appreciate you joining me this evening. >> thank you. >> thank you very much. up next, the trump show gets a new celebrity co-star. will sarah palin stump for trump?
7:24 pm
itswhen you're engineeredct to literally to drive circles around the competition. we were in a german dance group. i wore lederhosen. so i just started poking around on ancestry. then, i decided to have my dna tested through ancestry dna. it turns out i'm scottish. so, i traded in my lederhosen for a kilt. while you're watching this, i'm hacking your company. grabbing your data. stealing your customers' secrets. there's an army of us. relentlessly unpicking your patchwork of security. think you'll spot us? ♪ you haven't so far.
7:25 pm
the next wave of the internet requires the next wave of security. we're ready. are you? hwe'll match any competitorse best prprice. this? what about this? price match guarantee. and this? yep! so no monkey business, no tomfoolery? oh, we do have tom foolery, tom. staples has a price match guarantee. make low prices happen. staples make more happen.
7:26 pm
7:27 pm
i was told, warned left and right, you're going to get so clobbered in the press, you are going to get beat up, chewed up and spit out. you know, i'm thinking, and? yeah.
7:28 pm
you know what, you guy s haven' tried to do that every day since that night in '08 when i was on stage nominated for v.p. and i got to say, yeah, i'll go, send me, you betcha, i'll serve. >> our breaking news tonight is sarah palin endorsing donald tru trump. with the iowa caucuses only 13 days away. let's discuss. kayleigh mcanany. and editor in chief of "the hill." political strategist angela rye. bob, you first, sarah palin endorsing donald trump. how huge is this? >> it's big. ted cruz wanted her endorsement. she's not an endorsement you're going to tout in the general election but certainly in iowa when you have this close race getting sarah palin's endorsement is important and i think it's more important he's getting all these headlines. once again, donald trump is attracting the media's attention and ted cruz on the defensive, he did not win her endorsement.
7:29 pm
so i think it's a pretty big deal. >> ted cruz, let's put this tweet up. "i love sarah palin usa, without her support i wouldn't be in the senate. regardless of what she does in 2016, i'll always be a big fan." he's down playing it. my question is, how big of a loss is first cruz? why didn't she go with him? >> well, i think it helps both sarah palin and donald trump. sarah palin has basically disappeared from the political scene for quite some time. she's lost powerer a this could be the beginning of her comeback if dronald trump goes on to win the nomination and becomes the next president of the united states. i think it's a positive for trump, however, as steve king was calling you, he has a rock solid support in iowa. these guys are neck in niceck. it trump does not win, we're going to look back at the endorsement and say it's not that important. >> sherry, you don't think this
7:30 pm
was a win for donald trump. >> do you? >> i don't. this was a hot mess. >> a hot mess? >> this was not the sarah palin that was so sharp and so on point in 2008 that we loved and i defended her a lot. this was supposedly the biggest endorsement of the season. i wouldn't have wanted somebody up there doing what she did. the other thing is she's supposed to be bringing in the evangelical vote from ted cruz to donald trump in iowa. that's her purpose. her message in this endorsement has nothing to do with the things that the evangelicals care about. there would be no reason for them to leave cruz and go to trump. >> who's she talking to? >> she seemed to be talking to people who were angry at the establishment and at the government. and obama. the people with trump for those reasons are going to stay with trump for those reasons. there was nothing in there for evangelicals particularly since donald trump is pro-partial birth abortion in the past, pro-big government, pro -- >> wives. >> is this a slap in the face to mccain, you think? >> you know, i think that the fact that she didn't really
7:31 pm
stick up for mccain that much when the first insult came, she said both men are heroes because donald trump said john mccain is not a hero because he got captured, i like people who don't get caught. >> before today? >> i know nothing of the relationship, i just know they have similar ways of speaking, word salad, if you will. similar supporters. i'm not quite sure -- his supporters are going to love it. i just don't know what's there for evangelicals with ted cruz to now move to donald trump. >> before kayleigh jumps off the thing through the screen, i'm going to let you respond. >> i completely disagree with you, sherry. first i want to correct what you said. donald trump is not for partial birth abortion. he had policy shift a long time ago and has been consistent ever since. it's incorrect to say he's currently for those things. second, i would say this is a huge deal. look, you might not like the way
7:32 pm
sarah palin speaks, she doesn't speak like an ivy league professor, mccain or romney or what the establishment is used to, all of whom, by the way, lost elections last time i checked. she might not speak like an ivy league professor. however, she speaks from the heart. american voters are angry, angry are the establishment which lied to them and gotten into office and done the exact opposite. voters are angry and sarah palin speaks to that frustration in a very poignant way. this is huge for donald trump. i think this could seal the deal in iowa. >> angela, i have not forgotten about you. just because we got to you last, just for you, here is some fresh sound of sarah palin. here it is. >> and you're ready to stop the race baiting and the division based on color and zip code to unify around the right issues. the issues important to me or i wouldn't be endorsing them. pro-life, pro-second amendment. strict constitutionality. those things that are unifying
7:33 pm
values and time-tested truth involved. unifying values from big cities and tiny towns. from big mountain states and the big apple. to the big, beautiful heartland that's in between. >> i am betting, angela, that you don't think that donald trump is a unifier. i mean, you have to admit, it's true he has an appeal nationwide. >> don, can we just go back, so earlier, another guest said hot mess, i think that hot mess is the understatement of the night. she sounded like a drunk narrator of a dr. seuss book. >> that was sherry who said that. >> yes, sherry. i'm sorry. but the thing is, you know, i don't know if he wishes he could, like, moonwalk off the stage. he looked embarrassed. there were a few side eyes. sure, he may is national appeal. shame on anyone who appeals to that type of rhetoric that makes no sense. sherry also mentioned earlier that her design and the reason
7:34 pm
why this announcement was important to be rolled out at this point is because of her appeal to evangelical voters in iowa. she talked about kicking isis' ass. i mean, you're also not supposed to cuss as an evangelical witness. i don't understand what she was supposed to be doing tonight but it was rather confusing and i definitely would not say that she was very effective. >> okay. i want viewers to mark this moment that angela rye and sherry jacobis who's usually on opposite sides of the fence are actually agreeing on something. >> bipartisan agreement. >> bipartisan agreement tonight. quo you know, angela, two reality tv stars, two celebrity politicians. how much do you think we're going to see sarah palin on the campaign trail? you mentioned some side eyes. some people said he looked a little uncomfortable. maybe you're reading a lot into it. you're agreeing, angela, sherry is agreeing as well, angela. what do you think? >> i think we'll definitely see more of her. at least the cameras will follow her. i think it's for entertainment value. perhaps there are folks out there that will continue to
7:35 pm
agree with sarah palin. i know there was commentary about, you know, she doesn't sound like an ivy league, you know, graduate, and but she also lost an election. i think she's the reason why john mccain lost so badly in 2008. so she's certainly no gold standard when it comes to winning elections, either. >> before i pull bob back into this, sherry, you really think that he seemed that uncomfortable? >> i thought he seemed a little uncomfortable. i'm looking at it as somebody who's run campaigns -- >> and a supporter of sarah palin. >> if i was a campaign staffer, i would be on the sidelines saying somebody get the hook. it's almost as if she didn't take it seriously. maybe she lost her touch. i thought it was a hot mess. his base may love it. the people who love her are still going to love her. i just don't see what that did to take supporters from ted cruz or marco rubio or anybody else and put them into the trump column. >> bob, you want to respond to that? did he seem uncomfortable to you or do you think people are just reading into it? >> listen, i don't think that speech was vetted. i don't think donald trump cares
7:36 pm
that much because he just got the endorsement, if she wants to go off, what was a rambling speech, there's no doubt about it. i think he's very happy that he's got come conservative credentials because palin has backed him now because cruz has gone after trump recently as not being conservative, flip-flopping on different issues. so that's where i think it is important. i don't think it's going to be a complete game changer, but overall, is it a good day for donald trump and a bad one for ted cruz? definitely. >> all right, kayleigh, don't worry. she's like i want to talk. everyone stay with me. when we come right back, is sarah palin's endorsement of trump a gift to hillary clinton? how her campaign is reacting tonight. the biggest challenge for business today is not
7:37 pm
competition, it's protecting customer trust. every day you read headlines about governments and businesses being hacked, emails compromised, and intellectual property being stolen. that is cyber-crime, and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to investigate and fight cyber crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information, so we can track down the criminals. using our advanced analytics tools, analysis that used to take days to run, we can now see in real time. and we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. our passion is making life tougher for cyber criminals,
7:38 pm
and making it safer for you and your customers. a thousand dollars at a time.2 million dollars, a thousand people win one thousand dollars. every single day. get in on this! it's refund season. go on a first date. my passion is puppetry. here? i think we're done here. hate drama?
7:39 pm
go to cars.com research, price, find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama.
7:40 pm
you could say he played his trump card tonight, but do donald trump and sarah palin agree on all the issues that matter to conservative voters? we're going to talk about that now with kayleigh mcenany, bob cusack, angela rye, cheri jacobis. tea party support down in the u.s. only 70% in october of last year, right, versus 32% in 2010.
7:41 pm
so could this emphasis on palin and the tea party wing hurt the campaign in the long run? >> i don't think so because here's the thing. there's a few differences between donald trump and the tea party. you know, for the most part, he agrees with, you know, what the tea party stands for which is anger at politicians who don't keep their promises, which is conservative values. but donald trump is a different kind of candidate. he has a bit of a populist undertone to him. when he talks about taxes imports from mexico, talks about going after china, when he talks about blue collar workers. that's very different than what the initial tea party stood for so i think he has a different element and cross appeal to democrats, reagan democrats. you could see him winning states like michigan or pennsylvania in a general election to i don't think this will hurt him in a general. >> okay. let's talk about the message tonight and whether she was on point. or not. as cheri has pointed out here. here's sarah palin talking about trump not being an elitist. >> he is not elitist at all. oh, i just hope you all get to
7:42 pm
know him more and more as a person and a family man and what he's been able to accomplish with his -- it's kind of this quiet generosity. yeah, maybe his largesse, i don't know, some would say gets in the way of that quiet generosity and his compassion, but if you know him as a person and you'll get to know him more and more, you'll have even more respect, not just for his record of success and the good intentions for america, but who he is as a person. >> cheri, you're supposed to be looking in the camera. what is -- what? >> i didn't know what she was talking about, and you have to sit there and try and convince people that someone, a billionaire who has a gold-plated plane and a gold-plated apartment is not an elitist, you're probably losing the argument. i just don't know what that was. >> was mitt romney an elitist? just because you have money you're an elitist? i'm sure you weren't calling mitt romney an elitist.
7:43 pm
>> he was elitist -- >> the fact she had to stand there and make the case he's not an elitist is not the wisest thing to do, a little bit off message. i don't think anybody goes around running around iowa claiming he's an elitist even if you think that he is. that's not a campaign point. my point is that sarah palin was up there tonight just rambling about nothing on what has been billed as the biggest and most significant endorsement of this campaign cycle. >> she talked about -- >> i don't think she -- she talked about iran, she talked about donald trump's personal, on a personal level, that he embodies christian values. she talked about a ton of different things. that's wrong to say she had no message. >> which he messed up at liberty university trying to come off as a christian. he was trying to come off as a evangelical christian and made a fool of himself and insulted a lot of people. >> no. >> sarah palin was brought in tonight to try to fix that. i don't think she did that.
7:44 pm
>> maybe people are being hard about the 2 corinthians versus ii corinthians which is what it is. cheri is saying she said a lot of things tonight. the question is, could you follow her message? did you understand what she was saying? did she lunchbag it, putting too much in her message this evening? >> i think it was a mixed bag, don, honestly. she did point out as far as the populism, he is someone who has gone after the pharmaceutical industry, someone who's gone after wall street, someone who's gone after ceo pay. these are not normal tradition establishment republican things that resonate with the voters. all of a sudden she brings up rand paul in the middle of a speech and this is, remember, donald trump has gone after rand paul repeatedly. she was praising him. so i think it was at times, yes, you could follow it, and other times you couldn't. >> so what do you think there, angela, do you think that hillary clinton's team was like, woo-hoo, or oh my goodness, they're nempbs nervous?
7:45 pm
>> i think they're saying woo-hoo about that and the fact the republican establishment decided they would lift up bernie sanders as their candidate. it's very clear. hillary clinton's name regularly comes up in gop debates and sarah palin does not. i think this was very helpful to not only the clinton campaign but frankly the republican candidates who want to be talken seriously. >> i got to go. thank you, all. i'll see you soon right back here on "cnn tonight." up next, the man who served in both bush white houses and the obama administration, robert gates, knows what it is like to work with republicans and democrats. what he thinks of this campaign, coming up.
7:46 pm
play hooky from the ordinary. the uninspired. the routine. but mostly, just play. with hilton's 12 brands you always get the lowest price. only when you book direct at hilton.com.
7:47 pm
joining her daughter's yoga class.ng about she was thinking about her joints. but now that she's taking osteo bi-flex, she's noticing a real difference in her joint comfort. with continued use, it supports increased flexibility over time. karen: "she's single." it also supports wonderfully high levels of humiliation in her daughter. karen: "she's a little bit shy." in just 7 days, your joint comfort can be your kid's discomfort. osteo bi-flex.
7:48 pm
you were made to move. so move. "are you okay?" "yeah, i just got charged for my credit monitoring. that's how i know it"s working." "ah. you know you can go on creditkarma.com and check it out there. it's completely free." "really?" "yeah" "oh, that didn't hurt at all." "yeah, completely painless." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
7:49 pm
robert gates has served under eight u.s. presidents including george h.w. bush, george w. bush, and barack obama. he has a new book out called "a passion for leadership: lessons on change and reform from 50 years of public service." and robert gates joins me now. most people haven't lived 50 years and you've done 50 years of public service. i want to talk to you about this book. i know it's an incredible book. can we talk some politics now in. >> between the democrats and republicans and everyone trying to get in office. it seems like the tone is kind of crazy. civility seems to be dead those days. what do you make of that?
7:50 pm
>> i think it's very this appointing. one of the worries i have about the level of the dialogue going on is that people are making some broad assertions. they're making some grandiose promises. both on domestic affairs and on national security. >> talking about our border, mexico, muslims. >> immigration, how we're going to deal with isis, and so on. and nobody's providing any details in terms of how are you going to do that? and does it matter that that really is not the way the world really works? and how are you actually going to make another country do something? so i'm -- i'm pretty disappointed at the level of generality and, frankly, what i regard as some pretty unrealistic promises. >> and tough talk. i think it's fair to call it bluster out on the campaign trail about using military force. the two top contenders on the republican side both are doing that. let's listen.
7:51 pm
>> i know more about isis than the generals do, believe me. i would bomb the [ bleep ] out of them. [ applause ] i would just bomb those suckers. and that's right, i'd blow up the b the pipe, i'd blow up every sing the inch. there will be nothing left. >> we will carpet bomb them into o livon. i don't know if sand can glow in the dark, but we're going to find out. >> so everyone is talking about using force. compromise is seen as weak. what do you make of this talk? >> well, i think, first of all, it's -- carpet bombing, making the sand glow, so on, frankly, that's not the way you
7:52 pm
accomplish military objectives. it probably wouldn't be successful. i mean, it's not like they have masked military formations that are all just going to sit there and wait for the bombers to come over. these problems are more sophisticated, more complex, more difficult than some of this debate and some of this dialogue conveys to the american people. i think this is a tough, long slog that we've got with isis and i think people who promise easy solutions and fast solutions, frankly, are just, are not being realistic with the american people. >> let's talk now about some of the polls here. this is a cbs news poll. 69% of likely republican primary voters, very confident or somewhat confident that donald trump would be an effective commander in chief. 67% feel the same way about ted cruz. why do you think that is? considering what you just heard from him and your comments that you just said.
7:53 pm
>> well, i think that both ted cruz and donald trump and i would say senator sanders all have tapped into clearly a deep vein of frustration and anger on the part of the american people with their elected representatives, with the paralysis in washington, melemouthed answers to questions, no progress being made against any of the major problems facing the country, and so i think that -- i think that the support that all of them are receiving is a manifestation of that anger at those who have been in power and are perceived as having not accomplished anything. >> not being effective in washington. >> yeah. >> here are the numbers on the democratic side. for hillary clinton, 74% say that they are very or somewhat
7:54 pm
confident that she'd make a good commander in chief despite attacks on her record in the public. still seems to be confident in her. are you surprise the at that? >> not really. i was secretary of defense for 2 1/2 years while she was secretary of state. as i've written, during that period until just a few months before i retired, we agreed on a lot of issues, and i consider her very tough-minded in terms of the policies we needed to follow in iraq, the policies we needed to follow in afghanistan. she was a very strong supporter of the surge in afghanistan. and really the first time we parted ways was on the intervention in libya. and as i told folks in the situation room, can i just finish the two wars i'm already in before you all go looking for a third one? >> i want to talk to you about iran because there was a deal made that would swap americans for iranians. the u.s. attorney general loretta lyn kprrksch was report concerned this deal would set a bad precedent. what are your thoughts?
7:55 pm
would this deal set a bad precedent? >> i think it is worrying. i'm also concerned that a couple of people were left behind, but i don't know what we asked for and i don't know what they asked for. so it's hard to judge, but i think there always is that risk, but i would tell you that during the days of the cold war, there were times when we exchanged absolutely guilty spies for completely innocent people. dissidents and others in russia, soviet union, to get them out. >> let's talk about your book right now. it's called "a passion for leadership," right? we have seen these threats to the u.s. inside and outside of america. what kind of leader do you think that we need right now to deal with these threats? >> well, what i write about in the book is how a leader can transform an organization. there need to be leaders in every organization at every level of society who can envision a better way forward, who can envision a better way to
7:56 pm
do the job, and can lead people to embracing that bet better visi vision and making the organizations more responsive to the people they serve. it's really about what kind of talents a person needs to be able to improouve an organizati and basically draws on my experiences at cia, texas a&m, department of defense, how do you mark, how do you envision a better way to do things and how do you bring people along with you? but it applies at every level. >> it seems you need a better resume and much more experience. okay. the book is called "a passion for leadership: lessons on change and reform from 50 years of public service." that's a long name. it's a good book, though, i'm sure. i thank you for coming. >> thank you very much. >> it's an honor. >> thank you. and i said "come to class, let's start walking together"
7:57 pm
and i said "and i bet you money you'll be able to do that senior walk". that day i said "ok it's me and you girl, me and you!" i said "if you need to stop, there's a bench we'll just hang out in the shade." she said "absolutely not! we are going to finish this race!" and we were the last ones in, but you know what? we finished the race. and she goes "desiree, i'll never quit walking. ever" i thione second it's there.day. then, woosh, it's gone. i swear i saw it swallow seven people. seven. i just wish one of those people could have been mrs. johnson. [dog bark] trust me, we're dealing with a higher intelligence here. ♪ the all-new audi q7 is here. ♪ whei just put in the namey, of my parents and my grandparents. and as soon as i did that, literally it was like you're getting 7, 9, 10, 15 leaves that are just
7:58 pm
popping up all over the place. yeah, it was amazing. just with a little bit of information, you can take leaps and bounds. it's an awesome experience. [so i use quickbooks and run mye entire business from the cloud. i keep an eye on sales and expenses from anywhere. even down here in the dark i can still see we're having a great month. and celebrate accordingly. i run on quickbooks.that's how i own it.
7:59 pm
8:00 pm
so there's lots of reaction tonight to sarah palin's endorsement of donald trump. some is pretty harsh. take a look at this. this is the front page of tomorrow's "new york daily news." very pointed headline, "i'm with stupid." seems kind of mean to me, but you know, we'll see who has the last laugh here. that's it for us. thanks for watching. see you back here tonight. "a.c. 360" starts in just a moment.

184 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on