Skip to main content

tv   The CNN Iowa Presidential Town Hall  CNN  January 26, 2016 12:00am-2:01am PST

tv-commercial
12:00 am
you know, you find out that sometimes i'm not the best on technology and things like that, but look, i think it's great. let people sort them through and as we have seen, there is a lot of, you know, a lot of interest, but it's something that took time to get done. >> earlier tonight we played senator sanders your ad. >> uh-huh. >> uh-huh. >> asked him a question. one of the ads that you're putting out here in the run-up to the caucuses. we'll do the same for you. here's the senator's ad. ♪ ♪ [cheers and applause] ♪ >> i'm bernie sanders, and i approve this message. >> i think that's great. i think that's fabulous. i loved it. [ applause ] you know, look, you campaign in
12:01 am
poetry, you govern in prose. and we need a lot more poetry in this campaign. and in our country. so, i applaud that. i love the feeling. i love the energy. i obviously respect senator sanders greatly and appreciate what he has done in this campaign. but i believe that i'm the better person to be the democratic nominee, and to be the president and commander in chief of the country because -- [ applause ] >> another question for you. he's from logan, iowa, going to school, works as a supervisor for a january tomorrow company. says he's undecided, has a question. >> great. >> secretary -- oh, clinton, sorry. >> that's okay. >> i can see why they gave you this question, i just wanted to know which of our previous presidents has inspired you most and why. >> you can only pick one. one. you can pick. sorry. let me jump your question, one president, one.
12:02 am
>> okay. >> just one. [ applause ] >> okay. sorry, president obama, sorry, bill, abraham lincoln. you know, i -- wow, when i think about his challenges, they paled in comparison to anything we can face or imagine. you know more americans died in the civil war than, you know, the wars of the 20th century put together. so here was a man who was a real politician. i mean, he was a great statsman, he understood politics and he had to work to put together, the support he needed to be able to hold the country together during the war, and while he was prosecuting that war to keep the union together, he was building
12:03 am
america, which i find just an astonishing part of his legacy. transcontinental rail system, land grant colleges, he was thinking about the future while in the middle of trying to decide which general he can trust to try to finish the war. that's what i mean, when you've got to do a lot of things at once, what could be more overwhelming than trying to wage and win a civil war? and yet, he kept his eye on the future and he also tried to keep summoning up the better angels of our nature. you know, he was willing to reconcile and forgive, and i don't know what our country might have been like had he not been murdered, but i bet that it might have been a little less
12:04 am
rank reduce, a little more forgiving and tolerant than might possibly have brought people back together. more quickly. but instead, you know, we had reconstruction. we had the segregation and jim crow. we had people in the south feeling totally discouraged and defiant. so, i really do believe he could have very well put us on a different path. and, as i say, our challenges are nothing like what he faced, but let's think ourselves about not only what we have to do right now, especially to get the income rising in america, especially to make college affordable, do something about student debt, keep health care growing until 100% coverage and so much else, but let's also think about how we do try to summon up those better angels. and to treat each other, even when we disagree, fundamentally disagree, treat each other with more respect. and agree to disagree more civilly and try to be inspired by, i think, the greatest of our presidents.
12:05 am
[ applause ] >> secretary clinton, thank you very much for taking the opportunity. >> great to see you. >> appreciate it. >> you doing okay? >> everything's great. thank you. we want to want thank secretary clinton, governor o'malley and senator sanders, and everyone who made this town hall possible. thanks to our partners, the iowa democratic party, and drake university, of course, and thank you all, our audience for watching and participating. all right, chris, thank you very much. you just heard from hillary clinton, martin o'malley and bernie sanders. we're one week away as chris said from the first vote in the iowa caucuses.
12:06 am
and the democratic nomination is up for grabs right now. we heard some great things from all the candidates. joining me is van jones, donna brazile and i will not be getting a word in edge wise with all of you. it was very interesting. all of them showed up. hillary clinton showed up. >> she showed up. >> how did they do? >> these are candidates who have been out on the campaign trail. i don't think they would have been as good in this kind of a venue six months ago, six weeks ago, right. hillary, they all have to stand up, because they have so much energy. they couldn't kind of talk sitting down. hillary clinton came to play. bernie sanders came to play. you have a 74-year-old revolutionary on stage taking it right to hillary clinton, not in a personal way, but saying these are the areas i disagree with you on. this is why i would be a better leader, because i was against the war in iraq before were you.
12:07 am
i was against those trade deals before you were. i was for climate change before you. and then hillary clinton, without criticizing personally bernie sanders, i've been there, i know how to get things done. >> that was her first question. and she says when were you born. you were champing at the bit. >> all three of them were at their very best. this is the best i've seen all three of them. hillary clinton demonstrated that she probably the best-prepared person to be commander in chief maybe in the history of the country, but bernie sanders, if you are curious, how can this weird guy be surging. you saw tonight why. this guy has taken on the mantle of the progressive wing of the democratic party, and he's done it unapologetically, with humor and warmth.
12:08 am
usually he's on stage yelling and yelling. you can sisee now the charm. i think he has done democrats a favor, moving the needle to the right. he has made it very, very safe to be a strong liberal. >> i'm going to stick with this side of the room. what do you think? >> i thought they were both very good. it's a little bit like a slam dunk contest. no opponent on the field. it was like a slam dunk contest. no opponent on the field. >> they were both, they were both -- what was striking though was the content. bernie sanders almost no foreign policy. hillary clinton, dominated by foreign policy. one of the reasons they could both be so strong is they were playing in their own spots and comfort level, he's much more comfortable dealing with question of economics and class -- >> social issues. >> strong on policy. >> dealing with foreign policy, big difference. >> well, i was just amazed by how much energy was on the stage. we hear about this, energy deficit in the democratic party. i'm a hillary clinton supporter, and she came out tonight.
12:09 am
and i think she knocked it completely out of the park, but i also recognize that bernie sanders did a hell of a job. he really did a great job in coalescing his supporters. he pivoted back to the billionaire class, income inequality. he is the most bond message candidate that i have ever seen in my -- >> you thought martin was going to show up? did he? >> he was present. he was present. >> difficulty that martin o'malley is having he's running against bernie sanders, who is in his own element who has these large crowds who is feeding off this energy, who's probably going to be the 45th president of the united states, hillary clinton, who's literally dominated foreign policy, and you could see on that stage, it was, she was ready to be president today. and i think that in a world where many people are afraid in a country where many people have this fear, hillary clinton spoke
12:10 am
directly to them. >> neutral, let me start with that, but more importantly i was proud to be a democrat tonight. >> exactly. >> i was proud to hear from three distinguished candidates who understand the issues, understand what keeps americans up at night, and they were able to answer those questions. i think we should remember that there's a large percentage of voters who are still uncommitted, and tonight, this town hall was, was there for voters to sort of help make up their mind, clear up any misunderstanding. so i thought it was a good forum, a great response from the candidates. and i think we're going to have one, excuse melange, one hell of a week in politics -- >> that's nothing on this show. >> i'm a catholic girl, but you know, it was great to hear candidates and stand up and address some questions from the voters. it was a good night for democrats and the country. >> you have the stage. >> i listened with an open mind to bernie sanders giving his definition of democratic socialism.
12:11 am
and what i was trying to discern is whether it's sellable to the country at large. i doubt that it is. i listen to him and thought he was effective, i thought he was on top of his game, but i still look and wonder is this the george mcgovern of 2016 should he ever win the nomination? he'd be better served if he used the word capitalism and used the word entrepreneurship in t midst of giving his explanations, so as to say hey, i want people to make money, it's cool to make money, but the disparity has grown too large. >> did he get people to understand, did he distinguish himself, how are you going to pay for this? i'm going to raise taxes. >> play in that room. it'll play in that room. >> we're going to look in this moment when we come back and discuss that and many more as we continue on. stay with us, everyone. ene come back, more from iowa and from the man who moderated tonight's debate, that's chris cuomo. on the other side of this break. ♪ it's easy to love your laxative when that lax loves your body back.
12:12 am
only miralax hydrates, eases and softens to unblock naturally, so you have peace of mind from start to finish. love your laxative. miralax. inthe mid-size van, from mercedes-benz. it's got small-ability and big-ability. towing-ability and stowing-ability. rack-ability and hvac-ability. it's fully customizable and sized just right to give you cupcake-ability, entourage-ability... ...garage-ability and even afford-ability. starting at $28,950. available in cargo or passenger. from mercedes-benz.
12:13 am
as long as you love me, it's alright bend me shape me, any way you want me you've got the power, to turn on the light shape the best sleep of your life. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology adjust any way you want it. the bed that moves you. only at a sleep number store. this is lloyd. to prove to you that the better choice for him is aleve. he's agreed to give it up. ok, but i have 30 acres to cover by sundown. we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. yeah, i was ok, but after lunch my knee started hurting again so... more pills. yep... another pill stop.
12:14 am
can i get my aleve back yet? for my pain... i want my aleve. get all day minor arthritis pain relief with an easy open cap.
12:15 am
back now with the postcoverage, anderson cooper was in des moines in the hall tonight. he is with chris cuomo who was moderator. i really liked this format as -- i like the debates, but i like this better than the debates. what'd you think, did you like them? >> i think it allowed the candidates to make an impassioned case for why they
12:16 am
should be the democratic nominee. when you're doing this chris, it's hard to get a sense of how it's going. how did you think it went? >> i felt that the questions were good. from the voters. you're right, especially in something like this. i really wasn't focussed too much about myself because i wasn't really that relevant, it's not like moderating a debate when you have to be the conductor of what's going on here. here it was just not getting in the way and trying to push back when necessary. but i think it's different when a candidate is talking to you or me than when they're talking to a voter. they don't, they cannot regard us the same way, they can blow off the premise of a question if they want and it's acceptable. you can't do that with a voter. and you get to measure a candidate, i think, the voters in a way that they don't others. and i think this was a smart way to do it. >> you got a sense that the candidates, look, iowa is retail
12:17 am
politics, iowa is all about small meetings like this and they've been doing the town halls, but they are clearly practiced at it. i was surprised at the energy of each of them. considering they've been out all day long, bernie sanders referenced that about being more tired if you were keeping up with him all day long. each made impassioned pleas and played very well to certainly this young audience. >> you know, where the senator and i grew up, they called it the hunga, the hunga right now. they're on, candidates do that when they're getting close. what i think, what would be the plus/minus on this one. the plus is you got good exposure for the voters, direct questions? what's the minus? well you didn't go at them the way you usually do in a debate. that was not as much of an accountability session, but i think that's by design. certainly we have no problems asking hard questions to candidates, but this was their chance to make their last pitch, you know, which is obviously going to be largely positive because it's coming for them in response to voters questions. take for what it is, they did a good job. >> bernie sanders clearly tried
12:18 am
to paint the difference between him and senator clinton in a way that was respectful, didn't seem like an attack, but make those differences clear. as did hillary clinton. >> absolutely as did secretary clinton. i mean, she's not consistently talking about experience being up for the whole job by coincidence. she's saying that to frame bernie sanders is a one trick pony. >> it was interesting. it often plays differently on television than in the room. but certainly in this room, the audience was wrapped, the applause very strong, particularly in martin o'malley, strong response from a lot of people in this room. it'll be interesting to see how voters watching on television, how they viewed it compared to the people in this room, don. >> after i question for you -- i have a question for you, i was interested in the questions from young people, especially because they asked all the candidates, you know, i don't see the enthusiasm for you and bernie sanders. was the room filled with a lot of young people? >> there were.
12:19 am
a lot of young people here. clearly a lot of students -- i don't know how it was determined who got to be in the room. clearly a lot of students from the university here. >> lot of them. >> yeah. definitely when you look around, probably one of the few gray haired people around. it's definitely a very, very young audience, don. >> i have donna brazile in here to make up on this end for the gray hairs. we got gray hairs. >> you can have mine. >> all right guys, thank you very much. nice job for both of you in iowa. up next, more from the iowa town hall, you heard the candidates make their final arguments. did you change your mind about any of them? about anything? we'll discuss when we come back. on each and every road. but there is one car that can conquer them all. the mercedes-benz c-class. five driving modes let you customize the steering, shift points, and suspension to fit the mood you're in...
12:20 am
and the road you're on. the 2016 c-class. lease the c300 for $399 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. e*trade is all about seizing opportunity. so i'm going to take this opportunity to go off script. so if i wanna go to jersey and check out shotsy tuccerelli's portfolio, what's it to you? or i'm a scottish mason whose assets are made of stone like me heart. papa! you're no son of mine! or perhaps it's time to seize the day. don't just see opportunity, seize it! (applause)
12:21 am
i have great credit. seize it! how do you know? duh. try credit karma. it's free and you can see what your score is right now . i just got my free credit score! credit karma. really free. as long as you love me, it's alright bend me shape me, any way you want me you've got the power, to turn on the light
12:22 am
shape the best sleep of your life. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology adjust any way you want it. the bed that moves you. only at a sleep number store.
12:23 am
democratic candidates taking their battle down to the wire with the iowa caucuses. and just one week away, back with me now is my panel. i said we had the gray hair contingent on one side and the people with no hair.
12:24 am
we have everything from it. and that's a compliment, don, that's no shade as someone said on social media. michael mentioned this just a short time ago, talking about the candidates perceived strengths and weaknesses are. you mentioned earlier about bernie sanders defending himself as a socialist. >> some of your detractors have called you a socialist on occasions, and you don't seem too troubled by that, and sometimes embrace it. i wondered if you could elaborate on that, and just to show us what the comfort level you have, your definition of so that it doesn't concern the rest of us citizens. >> democratic socialism means, to me, is that economic rights, the right to the economic security should exist in the united states of america. it means to me that there's something wrong when we have millions of senior citizens today trying to get by on 11, $12,000 a year social security. it means there's something wrong when the rich get richer and almost everybody else gets poorer. it means there is something wrong, and government should play a role in making sure that all of our kids, regardless of their income, are able to get a
12:25 am
higher education. which is why i'm calling for free tuition of public colleges and universities and why we have to deal with this horrendous level in student debt that people are having. now what's going on in countries around the world, in scandinavia and germany, the ideas that i am talking about are not radical ideas, what it means to me in its essence is that we cannot continue to have a government dominated by the billionaire class, and a congress that continues to work for the interest of the people on top while ignoring working families. >> all right. this was your, you brought this up. did he help himself there? did he explain himself? socialist, people are afraid of that word. >> i think he helped himself with regard to the democratic base, probably helped himself in so far as he's trying to a tract those voters in iowa. i don't think that sells to the
12:26 am
nation at large, unless he completes the thought and says something like, i'm for you in you're an entrepreneur, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make money, i'm talking about the very wealthy, having too big a piece of the pie because they've manipulated the process, but left the way that it is, i think it opens itself to a criticism that he's coming for everybody's wallet. >> other thing is, he makes this mistake every time trying to go overseas. look, in some scandinavian village they do this -- >> they don't want to be compared to them. this is a huge opportunity to point out that a lot of stuff we take advantage like free k-12 education. that was once called a socialist program. medicare was a socialist program. a lot of things that we have in america were once called that. he never talked about american history, talked about the fact that, like dr. king, had ideas that were once called socialists, we could all be together and hold hands. he could make the sale a lot better than he does. >> you know, he was supposed to give a speech during this campaign and he hasn't done it yet.
12:27 am
on democratic socialism. >> he went to georgetown and he, and he did lay out his vision -- >> laid out his vision, yes. >> about what it would mean and this modern day capitalism. >> but what he didn't include is the fact that your taxes, among the wealthy this in this country would be raised to 40 to 50% tax rate. he didn't detail how you would pay for x, y, and z. >> that is a big, big -- >> the only millennial at this table is this young man right here, and when millennials say to me, i like bernie sanders. that's great. so how is he going to pay for this? how is he going to pay for this. you guys are going to pay for it. let's listen, he was asked about it and then we'll talk about it. >> massive redistribution of wealth in this country. it's gone from working families, trillions of dollars, to the top one tenth of 1%. so yes, what this campaign is
12:28 am
about is to say profitability corporations who in some years don't may a nickel in taxes, for the wealthiest in this country who sometimes have an effective tax rate lower than truck drivers or nurses, yeah, you are going to start paying your fair share of taxes. >> you will hear people say that sur paying for is it is actually punitive. you're going to punish people who make money, you're going to punish the financial district, you're going to punish and wind up changing the idea of an open and free economy. >> we got to put what i am doing in context. and here's the context, today in america, we have more income and wealth inequalities than 1928. there has, chris, been a massive transfer of wealth, i'm talking about trillions of dollars, from the pockets of working families into the hands of the top one tenth of 1%. that's a fact. so if you are telling me that at
12:29 am
a time when wall street's recklessness and illegal behavior brought this country to its knees, that i am going to say to them that they're going to have to start paying their fair share of taxes, fine, if that's the criticism, i accept it, i demand that wall street start paying its fair share of taxes. >> i think it's more than that though. i mean for the fact of the matter is, i'm a millennial, i just got married four or five months ago and i'm still trying to figure this thing out. every month, i have a car note, 400 bucks, i pay over $1300 a month in student loan payments, like many people watching out there trying to figure out how to balance their books. and this isn't just going to be the billionaire class on wall street that are going to have to share the bernie sanders tax burden, this is middle class americans as well. those of us who go out and get degrees, the tax burden on us is going to bump up as well. >> that's not right. i mean, that's not right. especially, you know, if you buy
12:30 am
his idea that basically you're going to get rid of health care costs for private insurance, it's worth remembering under -- >> we're going to eliminate private insurance. >> that's the goal. remember in the 1950s, this is the point he makes, but it has to be true, top margin tax rate was much, much, much higher, in the 1950s which the republicans kind of romanticize under dwight eisenhower. we have accept since ronald reagan a notion of what have our economic policy should be, it is actually far, far to the right of where things were in the period. bernie sanders wants to shift that back. now practically you maybe the be able to do it, but radical depends on what you're basing it on. dwight eisenhower is back, it's not that bad. >> how do you tell people who are already paying 40% taxes and convince the middle class american, most americans they're
12:31 am
going to have to pay nor taxes -- >> the american people care about the national deficit. we still have a huge burden in terms of our foreign policy and wars and so forth. so, i think bernie sanders has tried to answer how he would come to pay for all of these programs, but i think -- >> quick last word on this. then we'll move on. >> the greater question is to convince americans that they ought to have more faith in government to be the solution to all of their problems, at a time when trusting government is at an all-time low. and bernie sanders is saying -- >> i'll let you speak, but hurry. >> look, there are a lot of people out there that agree with what he says because they think the insurance companies are ripping them off and why do you need insurance, you don't need insurance companies, you need to see a doctor. and he does talk about charging wall street for speculation. these guys gambling with money, a little bit of tax there can give you a chance to go to college. i think that's a good thing. >> that's his issue. the whole socialist thing. strength or weakness, however
12:32 am
you see it. this is hull had -- hillary clinton's week. you guys know, honestly, honesty question, she got it tonight. here it is. >> i've heard from quite a few people my age that think you're dishonest. but i'd like it hear fro you and why you feel the enthusiasm isn't there. >> well, i think it really depends upon who you're seeing and talking to. you know, today in oskaloosa, i spent time with about ten high school students who are enthusiastically working for me. i see young people across the state who are doing the same. but i'm totally happy to see young people involved in any way. that's what we want. and we want to have a good primary to pick a nominee, and then we to want have everybody join together to make sure we win in november. which afterall is the purpose of this whole campaign.
12:33 am
[ applause ] and so, you know, look, i've been around a long time, people have thrown all kinds of things at me. and you know, i can't keep up with it. i just keep going forward, they fall by the wayside, they come up with these outlandish things, they make these charges. i just keep going forward because there's nothing to it. they throw all of this stuff at me, and i'm still standing. but if you're new to politics, if it's the first time you've really paid attention, you go oh my gosh, look at all of this, and you have to say to yourself, why are they throwing all of that? well, i'll tell you, with i've been on the front lines of change and progress since i was your age. i have been fighting to give kids and women and the people who are left out and left behind the chance to make the most out of their own lives. haus [ applause ] and i've taken on the status quo time and time again. >> so, i think michael, that was her first question, i believe --
12:34 am
>> it was. >> and i actually felt watching it, it was her best moment. >> it was. and i would categorize that as the woman in the arena speech. her essentially saying that this comes with the territory, if you're out there on the front lines as i have been for all these years, you're going incur this criticism and it's all preposterous, but as i watched her say that, i couldn't help but think of michael bloomberg, and that may seem like nothing, but i think the reason that bloomberg is taking a look at getting into this race is he's wondering whether she has liability relative to the e-mail issue. >> i thought what made it a strong answer was she wasn't pretending to be something she's not. she wasn't saying, i'm the fresh face, she was saying yeah, people have thrown stuff at me, but i'm tough. i can take it. then her answer at the en, why did they do that? they do it because they fear me because in fact i'm going to bring change.
12:35 am
that's an answer that democrats like to hear. >> did you believe her? did you believe her? >> i believe that that's what she really believes. do i believe that's a big part of the reason? yeah, i think, and i also think frankly a lot to do with the fact that she's a woman. the '90s, a lot was because she was a figure of cultural change. that a lot of people had a lot of trouble with. >> you could see her trying to get there though because at the first part of the question, she said, oh, i'm just totally happy that young people are involved. and that wasn't a really great answer. it was very weak. but then you could see her mind working and she finally got to the point -- >> she felt the room -- >> she got to the point where you know why, because i've been on the front lines, and that was the good part of the answer, but it took her a while. >> yeah, because in the south carolina debate, she didn't know how to answer that question. >> she couldn't get there. >> exactly. >> but she got there tonight. and i thought that was three snaps.
12:36 am
for those of us that understand that. >> z formation. teach michael over there. >> it's called "living color." it's from the '80s. but also, i thought was -- some people like it, others don't, when she tks about bag woman. and talked about dancing and president obama complimenting her and saying, you know, ginger rogers had to do everything but in heels and backwards. and that worked for her. >> that was a very, very difficult question that young man asked. former secretary of state of the united states of america. >> about honesty. >> to her face and said many young people believe you're dishonest. and she was taken aback first of all that that was the first question she got at the democratic forum, and found that cadence. when you're a politician, you have to find that rhythm, you have to find that cadence, then she said, i'm still standing. you're going to see that on everything. >> stick around, we're going to continue own and discuss all of this. the best moments from the town hall. don't go anywhere. business today is not
12:37 am
competition, it's protecting customer trust. every day you read headlines about governments and businesses being hacked, emails compromised, and intellectual property being stolen. that is cyber-crime, and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to investigate and fight cyber crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information, so we can track down the criminals. using our advanced analytics tools, analysis that used to take days to run, we can now see in real time. and we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. our passion is making life tougher for cyber criminals, and making it safer for you and your customers.
12:38 am
he was thinking about hishinking joints.ancing. but now he's taking osteo bi-flex, and noticing a real difference in his joint comfort. the feeling originates in this area... spreads throughout the body... to here, inducing hilariously high levels of embarrassment in his son.
12:39 am
he knows it's working by that look of abject humiliation on his son's face. you were made to dance, phil. so dance. shows improved joint comfort in just 7 days. osteo bi-flex. made to move. (singing alougetting to know you. getting to know all about you... getting to like you. getting to hope you like me... is someone getting to know your credit? not without your say so. credit lock lets you lock and unlock your transunion credit report with the swipe of a finger. getting to know you. getting to know all about you... get one-touch credit lock, plus your score and report at transunion.com get in the know.
12:40 am
welcome back, the democrats making their closing arguments to iowa's voters tonight. now let's get to a reality check on what the candidates had to say. you had a lot to work with, jim.
12:41 am
>> we did, and we had our best team in the business on this tonight, don, let's start with bernie sanders. this is one of the big issue bs in the campaign, universal health care, bernie sanders drawing a distinction with hillary clinton on this. him supporting he says, a much broader plan. so let's listen to a claim he made tonight on why he is doing this. listen. >> today is the only major country on earth that doesn't guarantee health care as a right. >> only country on earth doesn't guarantee health care as a right. we went to our fact checkers, in fact the world health organization looking at this, usa currently the only high-income company industrialized nation that does not have nearly universal health care coverage. our reality check team rates that as a true. hillary clinton, another ke issue here has been wealth disparity, hillary clinton and making her case for president going back to the clinton years, and making this claim about wealth, growth during that decade. >> at the end of eight years, we
12:42 am
not only had 23 million new jobs, what was most important is incomes grew for everybody. not just those at the top. more people were lifted out of poverty, the middle and working people, and today in knoxville and my town hall, i called on a man said, we never had it so good. >> we never had it so good, that the crux of the clinton argument, america's prospered under president bill clinton. the reality check team looks there, it is true. looking at the numbers particularly on spreading that income growth around during the economic growth of the 1990s. let's go to martin o'malley. big issue, violent crime, but specific to baltimore and maryland, don, you know this, you've been covering this, in the last year. the violence there the crime and the resulting protests. here's a claim he made -- >> at the end of my time, we had driven down crime to a 30-year low and incarceration rate to a 20 year low.
12:43 am
you can do both of them at the same time by doing good things that work. >> so we looked at both figures close that drove down violent crime 30 year low, but that incarceration rate, here's what our team found. violent crime down, significantly amount for 100,000 inhabitants, incarceration rate down not as significantly, but the team rating that claim as true. this is a final one, dom, there was a moment in the debate when bernie sanders makes a claim of being a great athlete, basketball bernie, here's what he said to our chris cuomo. >> i was a very good athlete, not a great, i was a good basketball player. my elementary school in brooklyn won the borough championship. >> you don't get more outlandish claims than that, we got the best team, i'm a new yorker, i used to play elementary school basketball, did his school win the brooklyn borough championship in basketball? ps 197 in brooklyn, fact checking team looked, they did
12:44 am
indeed win. don -- >> whew. >> reality check claim is true. take it to the bank. >> that would be the one that everyone would be ticked off about. if it wasn't true. >> you can check. >> nice job, jim, thank you very much. and did your team win? >> my team did not win. i'm standing in awe just as much as chris cuomo. he was also a good miler, 437 mile, not bad. >> oh wow. and that's true too as well. thank you, jim. so back with everyone here tonight. we have the whole team with us here. i want to ask you, this is something, this is hillary clinton, you were speaking to joe biden, and he talked about hillary clinton's record on income inequality and he had an interesting answer. tell me about that home. >> he said that basically that hillary clinton was, hadn't spent her entire career on that issue, and bernie sanders seemed authentic on this issue because he had put an awful lot of time into it. so it was kind of a backhanded criticism of hillary clinton --
12:45 am
>> do you want to listen? >> i was in that fight during my husband's administration. and let's remember what happened there. at the end of eight years, we not only had 23 million new jobs, what was most important is incomes grew for everybody. not just those at the top. more people were lifted out of poverty, incomes rose in the middle and working people, and today in knoxville in my town hall, i called on a man, he said we never had it so good, except when your husband was president. because we tackled income inequality and produced results. not talk, action. and that's what i will do as president. >> well obviously that was from tonight and not during your interview. that was a pretty good answer for the question. >> because the question was that the vice president had said you're a relative newcomer. and her point was no, i've been
12:46 am
fighting this alongside former president bill clinton reminding everybody of the great economy in the '90s under bill clinton. and then she said, you know, not talk, just action. and that's her whole point about bernie sanders. he can talk the talk, but she can walk the walk. >> we keep mentioning bill clinton. bill clinton speaks a language of the middle class. even though he's a multimillionaire now. >> now he is. >> in her answer, and what she's doing on the campaign trail, how is she doing? >> well look, hillary clinton you saw tonight is the hillary clinton that we know. she's that way. she's passionate, she was engaged, dynamic. when you meet her one on one, when you talk to her in any small setting, she's amazing. she finally got that across tonight. i thought that was great. usually she doesn't do as well on that. but she did something else i thought was very clever on this question of inequality. bernie's been hitting her on income inequality, she broadened it out, she said what about
12:47 am
gender, racial inequality. she was undermining him by making the argument, not just a class argument, but a bigger argument. i thought that was very, very clever. for the base, that was clever. >> and shrewd as well, one thing hillary clinton knows is her limitations. we all agree that the income inequality check box goes to bernie sanders. you're not going to outincome inequality him. >> my question is is she right and maybe it wasn't called income inequality at the time, but working on, you know, balancing the budget and doing all those things. >> i don't think that the gap, i don't think that the data suggests that the gap then on bill clinton's watch or her watch as first lady was -- it's gone in the last decade, plus, so bernie clearly was the first
12:48 am
one to the party on this issue and i think the issue has caught up with him. more son so than her missing it in the first go round. >> that's right. there's a difference here. i don't think she's actually so concerned about income inequality per se. income inequality also grew under bill clinton, people didn't mind because people at the bottom were doing better. i think she's in a different place, and she could have made that clearer. i don't think her concern is the gap between the rich and everyone else, her concern is is everybody off better than off before. >> stand by. we will get to that. much, much more from the can't-miss moments. we'll be right back. video streaming burns tons of data.
12:49 am
and those other guys love over charging you for it. not t-mobile! now you can binge watch without watching your data. it's binge on - only from t-mobile. get unlimited streaming on netflix, hbo now, hulu, and more. plus get four lines with up to six gigs each for just thirty-five bucks a line. that's right. six gigs each plus all the video streaming you want with binge on. just thirty-five bucks per line. and it's only at t-mobile. i am i'm in search for thelong elusive...affordable 2 bedroom apartment. you know what you should do before you start? what's that? check your credit score. why would i need to do that? somebody else is going to check it, don't you want to know what they might find? sign up on credit karma. credit karma? yeah. huh, that was easy! kinda regret buying all this stuff now. looks good though, right? looks great. ladies love a man in a uniform. laughs... first step, credit karma.
12:50 am
12:51 am
12:52 am
you heard the democrats going head to head in tonight's town hall, back with me the panel. you know the issue that continues to dog at least one candidate. and that would be them among the voters, and that's the iraq war. hillary clinton pressed on it, bernie sanders asked about it, here they are. >> the truth is that the most significant vote and issue regarding foreign policy, that we have seen in this country in modern history is the vote on the war in iraq. okay, that's a fact. i voted against the war in iraq and if you go to my website, listen to the speech that i gave when i was in the house in 2002, saying yeah, it's easy to get rid of a dictator like saddam
12:53 am
hussein, but there's going to be a political vacuum. there will be instability. gives me no pleasure to tell you that much of what i feared in fact happened. hillary clinton voted for the war in iraq. >> i have a much longer history than one vote, which i've said was a mistake because of the way that that was done and how the bush administration handled it. but i think the american public has seen me exercising judgment in a lot of other ways, and in fact, when that hard primary campaign was over, and i went to work for president obama and he ended up asking me to be secretary of state, it was because he trusted my judgment. and we worked side by side over those four years. >> so peter, does he win on this issue? does this issue even matter among democratic voters? >> he could have made it matter, but i don't think he did. what he did is tied her iraq war vote to her current view. he made it relevant, going down
12:54 am
the same path on iran than going down on iraq, what bernie sanders didn't do was connect the hillary clinton's policies today, but she's actually more hawkish than where most democratic base voters. she wanted a no-fly zone in syria, or should have gone after this line that she went after on the last debate when she wants to move to normalization, yes, i do, because i don't want a cold war with iran. a cold war with iran is producing instability throughout the region. he doesn't have the confidence to take that issue and make it relevant and make it hurt for her. >> the way it came up was that commercial, i think it's quite compelling which displays her vast experience and bernie sanders had to respond to it. and i thought he had a pretty decent line when he said we need to differentiate clean experience and judgment and then
12:55 am
he sad dick cheney had a lot of experience, and i thought that would have drawn more of a reaction did, it didn't. to peter's point, i maintain if she were on the republican stage, she's fit in relative to foreign policy with her hawkishness, and i'm surprised that bernie sanders, and maybe this is the point you're making, hasn't turned that against her with a democratic base. >> my question was, i said to the democratic voters, the voters that maybe she hasn't won over yet, that she -- do they care? >> i think the people, i think that for the people who don't like hillary clinton in the democratic party, this matters a lot. >> right. >> and i agree that he could use it to more affect than he had. it does matter a lot because it goes to the sense that hillary clinton is hawkish. that she is going to try to be so tough that she may do things that are dumb. and that is something i think that democrats are afraid of. there's a budget in this party. you had people like benghazi and others who were screaming say ig don't go to war, and barack obama, who got smacked down by people like hillary clinton, and that still matters. >> she was more of a diplomat tonight. she wasn't the interventionist
12:56 am
hawkish hillary clinton that we saw on the stage back in 2008 when i think she tried to prove just what kpiend of commander and chief she would be at. this was a hillary clinton tonight who talked about diplomacy and how that should be the first step -- >> but she did talk about her experience. she talked about her experience a lot as secretary of state and how she is ready to do whatever, you know -- ready to do whatever it takes to be the president and whatever that job will bring. here it is. listen. >> you know, you don't get the pick the issues you work on when you're president. a lot of them come at you. they come in the door whether you open it or not, and even gave the example of working on the state of the union, being at the desk in the oval office when one of his aides came in and said, the iranians have just captured two of our naval vessels and have taken our sailors prisoners.
12:57 am
you can't say okay, don't bother me now, i'll deal with that later. you have to immediately be able to switch gears, you've got to do all aspects of job. so let me tell you how i think about it. i think it's imperative you do your very best, every president, and certainly i will. to avoid military action, it should be the last resort, not the first choice. to use diplomacy, even if it's slow, boring, hard, to continue to persist and be patient to get results. >> i know you want to weigh in on this. >> van jones, van, i saw a smile, and then a frown. i was watching your face, you were like uh, oh. what were you thinking? >> she's good. i mean -- >> come on. >> that's not who you painted her as. >> that's not what the you characterized her as a moment ago. >> that does go to the question about authenticity. tonight we saw the hillary clinton that is prepared or it commander in chief. she's very good. when she says stuff like that, it's reassuring democrats. >> it wasn't hillary the hawk tonight.
12:58 am
it was hillary clinton, barack obama, made me his secretary of state, hillary clinton. and barack obama who by the way, opposed the war in iraq, made me his secretary of state. have i said that enough? and all evening long, all evening long, it was hillary clinton, comma, friend, colleague, secretary of state, of president barack obama -- >> barack obama. hillary, barack obama, hillary barack obama. >> there's a reason she's comfortable. and yes, democrats don't ask questions about terrorism. you notice what a dramatic difference it was in that room from the other debate? isis almost never came up. the priorities are different. the foreign policy questions were much more geared towards answers about the diplomacy where it's tougher for a democrat is when you get a lot of questions which are basically
12:59 am
on the country's terrified, what are you going to do about it? that's where democrats find it more difficult. >> i also think that hillary clinton can stand on the stage in terms of foreign policy and answering that question of should i worry with any republican that you put her up against. i think she displayed that tonight. more importantly, getting back, i really think that's a central theme in this democratic primary. i mean even barack obama in his interview today, he hinted at it the, but hillary clinton says it over and over and over again, eric holder said it on her behalf. this race is about building on and protecting the legacy of barack obama. that is what she's running on in this democratic -- >> is that a third obama? >> it is, for republicans it'll be a third obama term. i think president obama knows >> for republicans, it is a third obama term. i think president obama knows he to preserve his legacy, he needs to get hillary clinton elected. >> but i think you make an important point. she's making a bet. she is saying i'm going to be hillary rodham obama.
1:00 am
>> clinton-obama. >> exactly. but, but bernie sanders is not doing that. that does create a problem for black voters. >> and i'm sorry to monopolize. once you leave iowa and you leave new hampshire, people in the south, when we get to the other primaries, we want to build on and protect the legacy of obama. that will carry her a bit. >> stand by. you heard hillary clinton and bernie sanders and martin o'malley make the comments in town hall. this is cnn. i'm don lemon. we are just one week away from the votes at the iowa caucuses. can hillary clinton energize her campaign? will bernie sanders, his improbable rise, take him to the top? and who is the best candidate to go against the gop? we will continue to talk about
1:01 am
the discussion. these show the orc/cnn poll. hillary clinton is leading the nation, 52% to sanders 38%. to continue our conversation is gloria gorger and donna brazille. it's midnight. and we haven't mentioned o'malley. >> i have something to say about more continue o'malley. >> he's going before the fire brand surge. 74-year-old devout socialist. and hillary clinton who is the star of the party. it's difficult.
1:02 am
>> he said let's not talk about process. let's talk about people. i think in his response to the questions, he tried to bring it back to the people. the people in iowa. he tried to bring it back to his own message in deliverance. >> you know you're on tv, right? >> i'm going to be catty. i tries too hard to be transformative. >> i saw a tweet from a reporter who says why does he always look like a stock photograph of someone running for president. >> candidates rise and fall in large measure is capture something in the country. sanders is not doing well because of his aesthetics, but at this moment in the democratic party, anger at wall street and even a democratic president, hasn't been able to rein them in. martin o'malley has never found a message that resonates with democrats now.
1:03 am
>> he wins the aesthetic argument. >> he did talk about climate change. he talked about it from the point of view from jobs. he pointed out 39% of iowa is powered by clean energy. >> he mentioned black lives matter. he hit. >> that was his strongest response of the night. he had a lot of practice on that issue. >> exactly. i think there are issues out there with reproductive health for women and clean energy and climate. powerful issues for the base. he tried to deal with that. he gets credit for that. >> he is trying to make it a generational argument that he was a generation, maybe, younger than certainly bernie sanders, hillary clinton and that he was going to the change candidate. it turns out that the 74-year-old happens to be the change candidate in the democratic party.
1:04 am
who would have thought that? he lost his mojo on that and after the violence in baltimore erupted. he was the mayor of baltimore %-pn o'malley has is a glaring record in baltimore and maryland. i'm not sure -- there have been very view governors that implemented policy and reform than martin o'malley. >> i was surprised. >> that young lady was a bad young lady. >> said it with a smile. he killed it. >> as we say, don, she threw some shade at him and i smiled. >> a lot of students -- >> he's still on the stage and competing for votes. i want to go back to the earlier point. there are still a lot of undecided people out there.
1:05 am
o'malley might catch fire. >> he didn't answer chris' question. it didn't come from the audience of 15%. if you don't meet that threshold. >> he said stand resolute. >> is that really is answer? >> o'malley is looking at 2020. he is looking to see if this puts him in the top tier next time. >> president obama gave this endorsement. half a hug. >> i think bernie came in with the luxury of being a complete long shot and letting loose. i think hillary came in with the both privilege and burden of being perceived as the frontrunner. as i said before, i think like any candidate her strengths can
1:06 am
be her weaknesses, her strengths, the fact she is extraordinarily experienced and wicked smart and knows every policy inside and out. sometimes could make her more cautious and campaign in prose and poetry. those are her strengths. it means she is govern and start here day one more experienced than any non vice president has ever been who aspires to this office. >> gloria, was that kind of an endorsement? was it a hug? >> it was a half a hug. >> it wasn't a chris christie hug. >> exactly. it was not. it was interesting to hear obama talk about the problems of the frontrunner and talk about hillary clinton very differently from the way we heard him talk about her when he first ran
1:07 am
against her. you could see he clearly understands that he needs her to win as i was saying before and his legacy really depends on her because bernie sanders has said that he doesn't like obamacare. he would dismantle it for single payer or try to. i don't think he could get that through any congress. this is what he talked about. i think this is a president who understands where his legacy lies. he likes her. >> is it clear you are an independent? >> yes. >> how did that read to you? did that read to you as an endorsement? >> it read to me as he wanted her to finish over the line in iowa. that's it. >> but, you know, this is something i know. he respects her. he really respects her opinion. >> she'll tell you. he made her secretary of state. >> yeah. he values her opinion.
1:08 am
he respects her. and i know we go back to the issue of it. i listen to these young men. >> i'm going polito listen. >> she doesn't need to put obama behind her. this woman has walked the walk. she has been in the fire. i know bernie, too. he's been out in the fire. in fact, bernie has built some fires. hillary doesn't need to have a man to make her great. she is outstanding had her own right. whether you like her or not. >> let's listen. are you done? are you done? >> you got the floor. >> i can't wait. >> the president just said that we have to change her name or add her. she has her name. >> we'll take wagers in the break how soon that ends up. let's listen to her responding
1:09 am
to that. >> i was really touched and gratified when i saw that. you know, people here in iowa remember we ran a really hard race against each other and then i had the opportunity when he asked me to serve as his secretary of state. and not only was it a great working relationship, but it turned into aeal friendship. he knows how hard the job is. he knows it first hand. i really appreciated what he said and how he said it because it was a positive reflection on what we have to get done and how hard it's going to be and therefore, the stakes in the election are really high and i think that's what voters are beginning to really tune in to here in iowa. >> he says also in there you get undue criticism and he says by the way, i have regrets about my campaign and some of the things we did. was that surprising?
1:10 am
>> yes. that was surprising. you know, i really appreciated him saying that because he said that -- he had that great line which i love. i think he said something like, you know, she had -- he said i was like fred astaire and she was like ginger rogers and had to do it in high heels. i thought this was a very sweet remark. >> donna, i will give you she is an accomplished woman and they don't need a guy's name behind them. i'll give you that. what do you think of that? you said there's a lot of blood on the table? >> i'm saying 2008, for those of us who were actively involved. were you born then? i'm joking. after we get the midnight hour, that is a whole different dialect shows up. the fight didn't end until june
1:11 am
4th when she announced. we had to go through the convention and try getting those camps together. i was in the middle of the battles. it was fierce. >> it is still chilly. >> president obama not too long ago criticized hillary clinton. it is different when you are running for president than serving as president. she called for no fly zones in syria. at the press conference, he gave her a twist of the knife. it is a little different without naming her specifically. it not as if they agree on everything. i think he did what he felt he had to do. i do think he generally respects her. >> this was important for the establishment of the party to come together. this was important. i think at the emotional level, you saw something in hillary clinton when she was talking about it. it is important personally and politically. if you are to the part of the establishment, it looks like
1:12 am
establishment politic politics. >> you are seeing the democratic party. they don't hate each other in the way the republicans right now do. >> true. >> the democrats are acting like republicans and the republicans are acting like democrats. fighting all the time. >> when we come back, the man looming over the race, guess who? >> obama. >> donald trump.
1:13 am
1:14 am
1:15 am
1:16 am
we've been talking about the cnn democratic town hall tonight, but we've also got news on the republican side to share with you. donald trump sat down with our very own wolf blitzer today, and he took on his rivals, and he took another shot at fox news' megyn kelly. listen. >> before iowa there's a republican debate thursday night. fox is hosting that debate. you and megyn kelly have had issues. she's one of the moderators. are you going to be at that fox debate? >> well, probably. i don't like her. she doesn't treat me fairly. i'm not a big fan of hers at all. i don't care. she probably was -- i might be the best thing that ever happened to her. i don't know. whoever even heard of her before the last debate? but i thought she was very unfair in the last debate. a lot of people said i won that debate. everybody said i won the last debate.
1:17 am
but i'm not a fan of megyn kelly. i don't like her. she probably doesn't like me. and that's okay. but she'd better be fair. i'd like to go to the debate. i enjoy the debates. i've done well in the debates. every single poll has said i've won every debate. but we're going to see what happens. going to be exciting. >> when you say probably, you haven't 100% decided you will be -- >> no. nothing's 100%. >> why not? >> i just have -- i'm not 100%. i'll see. if i think i'm going to be treated unfairly, i'll do something else. but i don't think she can treat me fairly, actually. i think she's very biased and i don't think she can treat me fairly. but that doesn't mean i don't do the debate. i like doing the debates. i've won every single debate according to every poll. i've won every single debate. i think the debates have been good. you know, after the last debate i went up 11 points in the polls. i went up 11 points right after the debate. the poll came out. i went up 11 points because of the debate. so i want to do the debates. they're good for me. but i don't think she can treat me fairly and i'm not a big fan of hers. maybe i know too much about her.
1:18 am
>> you and i have been doing interviews for at least a decade. you've changed your position on some issues. but on certain national security issues you've been remarkably consistent. >> it's true. >> and i want to get specific with you. on what you would do if you were elected president. this is october 2008. this is what you said about iraq. >> hey, look, it wasn't saddam hussein that attacked the world trade center. okay? in fact, those people when they sent their families back, most of them went back to saudi arabia. it wasn't saddam hussein that took down the world trade center. and in fact, saddam hussein killed terrorists. they had very few terrorists because he didn't want terrorists in iraq and he killed terrorists. so we go and attack saddam hussein. iraq now is the number one breeding ground for terrorists. all the terrorists go to iraq to learn their trade. you know we all have trades. and you go to iraq. but we didn't have that when saddam hussein was running iraq with an iron fist. now we do.
1:19 am
we took out saddam hussein. what have we created? a mess. and the day we leave iraq it's going to be forget it. >> and there's not one word in that i would change. not even a word. i also said, if you went on or i said to other people at the time, that iran will take over iraq. it's going to happen. just as you're sitting there. iran will take over iraq. >> iran's influence in iraq has grown inordinately. >> it's not influence. they're going to take it over. it's a question of time. >> what would you do -- if you were president on january 20th, 2017, you're sworn in as president. what would you do to, a, stop isis and, b, prevent let's say iran from taking over iraq? >> well, the one thing i would have done a long time ago is take the oil. and we still don't do it properly. but i would have taken the oil. when we left we shouldn't have been in iraq. and i said don't go into iraq and don't go in, you're going to destabilize the whole middle east, another thing i said there. you're going to totally destabilize the middle east and iran is going to take over. now we're in because of stupid decisions.
1:20 am
we're in. and they didn't knock down the world trade center, by the way. they have nothing to do with knocking down the world trade center. thousands of lives. wounded warriors all over the place. and now iran has taken it over. i would take the oil but i would have taken the oil when we left. as bad as it was, we shouldn't have been there, i would have taken the oil when we left because we just left a shell. these aren't politicians. these are corrupt officials running iraq. these are totally corrupt people. and iran essentially is right now controlling iraq. if you look over history, they would fight but they were equal. body would move. they would fight for years and years. because there was -- we decapitated -- we decapitated their military, and now iran goes in and -- >> how aggressive would you be in trying to destroy -- >> i don't want to tell you. you know why? because i want to be unpredictable. we need unpredictability in this country. you're asking a question like that. i know it's politically never good to say i don't want to tell you. but i have a good chance of winning.
1:21 am
i don't want the enemies and even our allies to know exactly what i'm thinking. we've got to be poker players. we've got to be chess players. you know what we are. we're checker players, and we don't play well. and part of the reason is we always tell everything. like obama goes and he's got 50 people that he's sending over. why does he have to make an announcement he's sending 50 people, he's sending 50 soldiers, our finest over there to iraq and to syria? why does he have to say that? why does he have to announce it? why couldn't he just let them go? excuse me. they have a target on their back. >> van jones, peter beinart, gloria borger, michael smerconish, donna brazile and backari. >> when he said that -- i was getting to that. when he said that, you guys gasped. why? >> because she's a reporter. and more than that she's a respected journalist. i don't watch her often because that conflicts with me watching anderson.
1:22 am
>> preach. >> but she's a reporter. she's a moderator. she is a professional. and whether you like her or dislike her you just don't telegraph that. i think it's very unprofessional. >> he's like a cry baby. i'm going to take on isis but i don't like megyn being mean to me, mommy. it's like are you a tough guy or not? >> what happened to any decorum in the political process? there is a way that you address women in general. and he has just debunked any form of respectability that's out there. my mother would not let me talk to another woman like that no matter what she was saying about me or who she worked for. >> but is there a method to -- i'm just -- >> nobody is floating on television now that we're back from the sought here, what we were all just agreeing, which is that she's just not into him. and he's got to relax and -- he's got a reaction that is high schoolish.
1:23 am
>> i was waiting for one of you to say it. >> okay. but is there a method to his madness? he's setting it up. >> i have to say, i didn't give him credit for many, many months. he has a great ear. maybe not with regard to megyn kelly. but he's very attuned. he tries out the lines. he goes back to the well. there's a method to his madness. he knows what he's doing. i used to think it was all buffoonery. but he plays the game very well. >> he's setting up the audience, for people to tune, in because there's this animosity between the two. >> she asked him a tough question, which i bet she will because she's a good journalist. if she asks him a tough question, then he can say, well, that's just megyn kelly, who doesn't like me. right? >> when you saw that political instinct was in the second half of the answer when he talked about the iraq war. and this is what donald trump's strength is. he is kind of liberated from some of the republican party talking points that most
1:24 am
americans don't believe anymore. so he's actually willing to go out there and say you know what? the iraq war was a mistake. we should have kept saddam hussein in power. right? that's what a lot of americans think, even a lot of republicans think. but it's not the mainstream republican line. and it's that independence that is part of the reason he's doing well. >> he was right on the war, and he talks about iran. but he wants to bomb the oil fields. >> he actually sounds like nixon on this. >> you're giving him a whole lot of credit. >> listen, what nixon said in '68, i have a secret plan to end the war. i won't tell you what it is because if i tell you what it is then they'll know. but trust me, i have a secret plan. >> and he didn't. >> and the same thing just right now, you have donald trump saying i'm not going to tell you what i'm going to do. i'm going to do something. this guy is nixon on some sort of bizarre meth. and that's what you're seeing now. >> my goodness. did you say mess or meth? >> meth. methamphetamines.
1:25 am
>> if it gets down to one on one and it's trump versus whomever in the republican primaries he's going to get called out, as he has been. it hasn't stuck yet. but for not being a conservative. for his plan -- right now with a very large field you can get away with a lot of stuff. cruz is starting. jeb bush tried, failed. lindsey graham tried, failed. rick perry tried, failed. you name it. and cruz is trying and failing to a degree. but there's a certain point when he says i have a secret plan the voters, republican voters say that's not -- >> when you say he's going to get called out on not being conservative enough. because here's the dinner conversation in new york city, at least in the circles. they say he's not a real republican, he doesn't believe what he's saying, he just wants to win and i may just vote for him on that premise. >> they say that because he's
1:26 am
had positions all over the place. he compares himself to ronald reagan and he says so did ronald reagan have positions all over the place. >> he's not a conventional politician. he doesn't have a record in public office. he doesn't care what other people think about him. the voters who like him, they like him because of the enemies that he's made. that's why donald trump is doing so well. >> hillary clinton was asked about donald trump at the town hall. listen. >> hi, secretary clinton. america today is formed by a very diverse group of people. and with the current rise in islamophobia and the black lives matter movement how can they make sure that the united states today is -- that you protect the constitutional rights of all groups of people without marginalizing any one community, specifically as a mother of three young children as an american muslim, how can i make sure that this country is the best place on earth to raise my family? >> thank you. [ applause ] thank you for your service in
1:27 am
the military. >> it's my pleasure. >> and one of the -- one of the most distressing aspects of this campaign has been the language of republican candidates, particularly their front-runner, that insults, demeans, denigrates different people. he has cast a wide net. he started with mexicans. he's currently on muslims. but i found it particularly harmful the way that he has talked about muslims. american muslims and muslims around the world. and i've called him out continuously about that. it's not only shameful and contrary to our values to say that people of a certain religion should never come to
1:28 am
this country or to claim that there are no real people of the muslim faith who share our values and to have the kind of dismissive and insulting approach. it's not only shameful and offensive, which it is. i think it's dangerous. and it's dangerous in several ways. it's dangerous because american muslims deserve better and now their children and they are the target of islamophobia, of threats. i've met a number of parents who have said their children are afraid to go to school because they are worried about how they will be treated. and we cannot tolerate this. and we must stand up and say every person in this country deserves to be treated with respect. and we must stand up against the bullying.
1:29 am
>> so by all accounts it was a good answer? >> good answer. >> but there's something i want to talk about in the visuals and the imagery because i thought the answer was good. but i thought that the young lady asking the question was even more important. you had a muslim-american veteran of our military who decided she was going to go out and fight for our freedom and then come back home to a country where you hear donald trump yelling and screaming and saying kick them out, talking about raising her children. and even more importantly, if you juxtapose that against the images we saw from donald trump's rally this week where you had muslim-americans being escorted out, forcibly escorted out. and here you have a young lady who was actually able to ask about her children's future to the former secretary of state of the united states. that in itself encapsulates the difference in the decorum and the tenor of the two parties. and that is why i'm betting on america and i would bet on a
1:30 am
democratic party to be number 45 in the white house. >> let me get to the independents. what do you make of that moment? >> i thought that was arguably her strongest response of the night. and i think maybe in the short term it doesn't do much to help or hurt trump but in the long term i think to your point among independents that's the sort of a response that i think decides an election. >> it shows how dramatically things have changed. back in 2000, not that long ago, that george w. bush was actually campaigning for the muslim vote, criticizing the clinton administration for the way it was treating muslims when they were trying to come to the united states. we have seen this dramatic shift in which the democratic party has become the party of mexican immigrants and the party of the rights of american muslims. and this is going to define the parties i think for elections to come, and it's going to hurt republicans because those population groups are growing in the united states and younger voters support their equal rights. >> but is it fair, gloria, to say the bulk of the republican party and even most of the candidates have denounced this sort of language? >> yes, they have. >> no.
1:31 am
>> very tepidly. >> very tepid at best. >> no, they've come out and said that donald trump is wrong. paul ryan, the speaker of the house -- >> don, here's the reality. i have a friend. her name is nancy lubling. she runs something called the crisis text line. it's where teenagers basically text in if they want to kill themselves. she said she has seen a dramatic jump in the number of muslim-american teenagers that have -- are really thinking about taking their own -- these are american kids. thinking about taking their own lives because of the tone and tenor. if the gop were out there denouncing this, those kids would feel differently. and they don't feel differently. >> she said tonight that kids who don't want to go to school, she referenced some of the same things -- i want to play this. more from donald trump's interview with wolf blitzer when he talks about his plan to defeat isis. listen to this. >> would you use ground forces to destroy isis? >> i will tell you, i will destroy isis. i will destroy isis. do you know how bad it is for me to say that?
1:32 am
wouldn't it be nice if we could surprise them? general george patton didn't say wolf blitzer, would you use ground forces, no, i would use, no, i wouldn't use. you've got to have an element of surprise. you have to have some unpredictability. we have so predictable. you have to have -- you have to be unpredictable a little bit. when obama announced that he was leaving, okay? he gave a definite day. when he said we're leaving iraq. we shouldn't have been there. but he should have never announced a date certain when we were leaving. we're totally predictable as a nation. now, bottom line, i will do a number on isis like you couldn't believe. but i don't want to sit here and tell you every single thing i want to do. you know, at some point we're warriors, right? at some point you have to surprise the enemy. i watch these guys like lindsey graham, who's just not a smart person. he says we have to go here with this number of people and we have to attack them from this level and this level. wouldn't it be nice if we could
1:33 am
surprise them and knock the hell out of them? >> another interview we did on september 24th, 2007 right here. you said this about america's standing in the world at the time. >> well, just look at this country. we've gone from this tremendous power that was respected all over the world to somewhat of a laughing stock. and all of a sudden people are talking about china and india and other places, even from an economic standpoint. america's come down a long way, a long way. the united states has come down a long way. and it's very, very sad. we're not respected. >> that was the beginning of china -- that was the beginning of china. that was the beginning of india. by the way, india's doing great. nobody talks about it. and i have big jobs going up in india. but india's doing great. that was the beginning of china. that was the beginning of india. look at everything i told you. everything i told you is all right. whether it's iraq, whether it's iran, whether it's china, whether it's india, whether it's japan. >> president george w. bush, he was in office --
1:34 am
>> right. >> -- in 2007 when you said this. >> absolutely. i'm no fan. i've never been a fan of bush. >> but who's more responsible for the weakening of america internationally? would it be president bush or president obama? because you've been very critical of both. >> i think bush did a bad job and i think obama carried it out. he continued to do a bad job. >> who do you blame more? >> i would say it's pretty equal. i would say obama's been very, very weak. it could have been stemmed at the beginning of his administration. what he didn't do is he didn't -- >> who? >> obama. the devaluation of the chinese currency has killed us. they have created one of the great thefts of all time. they have stripped our country of jobs, of money, of factories. you look at the number of factories that have closed. and i'm not only talking about china. i'm talking about other countries too. look at mexico. what they're doing to us. it's unbelievable. that's a mini version of china. and obama allowed them to get away with it now for almost eight years. >> if you were elected president, would you move the
1:35 am
u.s. embassy from tel aviv to jerusalem? >> i would, yes. >> how quickly would you do that? >> i'd do it fairly quickly. i have a lot of friends in that world. you know, i was at the israeli day parade in 2004, i was the grand marshal walking up 5th avenue. and i have great relationships to israel. and by the way, the worst thing that's ever happened to israel is barack obama. and especially with respect to this horrible deal that we just made with iran. this is the worst thing that's happened to israel. i do not know -- and i tell my jewish friends, how do you support this guy? he's a disaster for israel. and most of them don't know. they say, we don't know. it's almost like it's a habit. >> back in 2008 when we spoke you called sarah palin, who's now endorsed you, "very impressive" and you said you would trust her with the economy. >> i would trust her, yes. >> to deal with this economic crisis, the enormity, something that we haven't seen some say since the great depression. >> well, look at what other people have been doing, and they had a lot of experience and
1:36 am
they're the ones that got us into this mess. maybe you need less experience. >> well, that was when she was chosen as the vice presidential nominee by john mccain. and i backed john mccain 100%. he was having an uphill battle because he was sort of like what happened? the last year of bush was a disaster. and john mccain was having a hard time. and yes, i always liked sarah palin. i respected her. i loved her loyalty. even her loyalty to me. look at the beautiful loyalty to me. she went out the other day and backed me in front of thousands of people. we had a packed arena at orel oral roberts university. bernie, by the way, does not get crowds -- >> you get big crowds. there's no doubt about that. >> and bernie is second. i will say. >> he gets big crowds too. >> but it's nowhere near -- >> would you consider sarah palin for your cabinet? >> i don't want to talk about it now. she called me up. she said i love what you've done, you've created a movement, you're going to win, i would
1:37 am
love to endorse you. and i was a little surprised because i thought she might -- she's endorsed cruz in the past. in fact, without her endorsement he wouldn't have won for the senate in texas. so i was really impressed that she did that. but she never asked for a thing. >> did you see tina fey reprising sarah palin? >> i did. >> "saturday night live." >> it was very cute. >> and darryl hammond plays you. what do you think of him? >> i think darryl's great. >> he does a good job. he's very funny you've got to admit. >> he's very good. >> one final question. a lot of buzz that you slept in a holiday inn express the other -- >> i did. two nights actually. i thought it was terrific. it was clean. it was nice. and the bed was good. that's all i need. you know. i don't need maralago. i want to win. i want to make the country great. i want to devote my energy, whatever this ability i've had over the years for making things really good and doing well. that's why when i put in my statements, my financial statements, i'm a private company. people couldn't believe how successful i am. more successful than they even thought.
1:38 am
i built a great company. some of the greatest assets in the world. and i say that only in that that's the kind of thinking this country needs. we have people that are incompetent running our country. we can't have it anymore. we're not going to have a country left. we're going to do something great. we're going to make america great again. >> mr. trump, thanks for joining us. >> thank you, wolf. >> thank you. >> my panel responds to the trump/wolf blitzer interview right after this break.
1:39 am
1:40 am
1:41 am
1:42 am
back now with reaction from my panel on the donald trump interview and wolf blitzer. you paid more attention to it than the rest of us because we were all discussing everything here. he stayed in a holiday inn and he liked it. >> and it was clean. >> and it was clean. >> there was a good bed. >> he went to church and found scripture. he liked it. >> two corinthians. >> one of the questions that we all wonder about this guy is whether -- i wonder. is whether there could actually be underreporting in the polls for donald trump because it's politically -- >> i've been saying that. >> i've been saying it for a while as well because it's politically incorrect especially to tell a stranger i'm for this guy. it's sort of a bradley factor in reverse. it makes me wonder. >> did we talk about that on television? >> we have, yeah. >> because i always say it comes with this. people say you -- you're don lemon, right? >> yeah. >> i saw your interview with donald trump. they look over their shoulder
1:43 am
and they go, you know, i like that guy. i don't agree with everything he says but i like the fact he'll say it. >> you go to an airport, you're in a green room. when trump comes on television, liberals, democrats, doesn't matter, everybody stops and they listen. when senator clinton's on television, it's like a commercial's on. people, even democrats keep talking. there's something going on here that i think democrats are underestimating. i'm very, very concerned now. i think that a donald trump would be very dangerous in a general election. i think he could go into an ohio, he might be able to talk to african-americans in ohio in a different way. he could cause problems. and i think that democrats have been underestimating this guy. >> why do you think that's happening? because as i've been telling you, just my experience, it's unscientific, but i hear democrats and think don't want to -- i think as you said underestimate him, but realize just how powerful donald trump is in this election cycle. >> i think it's partly frankly that it's pretty terrifying to think about what it says about america, frankly, to think that he could have this much support. i mean, this is a man who has
1:44 am
called for a religious test on who should be admitted into the country and who has a basic disrespect for our liberal democratic constitutional order. i mean, there's something strongly authoritarian about his tendencies. i think part of the problem is people are actually afraid to believe it. >> i don't know -- i don't think it's just democrats who are underestimating him. i think republicans throughout this entire race underestimated him. and if you recall at the beginning when he started gaining traction republicans were sort of reluctant at first to take him on because they thought he would just go away. they thought he would implode. and then he kept saying things that they thought would make him implode. and he didn't implode. and then they started taking him on and nothing stopped. >> he didn't implode. >> the thing i'm seeing, though, is republicans, he's not an opponent, he's running as a republican. the worst thing you can do is underestimate your opponent. >> the primary, all the guys running against him. >> we've been focused on the movement conservatives and who's the top movement conservative. we've been talking about the
1:45 am
establishment lane and then donald trump, who's in his own lane. so i think until we get an opportunity to see donald trump versus one member of the establishment and not the thing, the -- then we'll get a better sense of donald trump's strength in the electorate, not just with republicans but in the general election as well. >> the problem with that is it may be too late. after donald trump finishes in iowa, he finishes in new hampshire. he comes to the s.e.c. primary. he has this momentum and he has a whole lot of delegates. >> how will donald trump do in the south? >> donald trump is going to do remarkable in the south. >> you talked about this on "state of the union." >> oh, yeah. >> donald trump has packaged bigotry and xenophobia and he paired that with a lot of fear in this country and has sold it better than anybody has in the history of the united states, of this political structure. it's amazing. he's going to go and he's going to talk -- he uses language that's not even coded. donald trump doesn't even use dog whistle politics. i mean, he doesn't -- >> everybody can hear it. >> yeah.
1:46 am
he doesn't even try to not offend you. >> can i say something nice about donald trump? it shows that i go to church every now and then. >> i need to go back. >> yeah. >> what donald trump has captured, because i talk to a lot of people too, he's captured the frustration and anger of ordinary americans who feel alienated from their government, who believe their politicians have said i'm going to washington and change things and they are frustrated -- >> wait a second. >> i'm not getting into the xenophobia and all that other stuff. i'm just saying that these are people who want to be heard. and donald trump is their voice. >> but wait a second. there are a lot of americans who feel economic anxiety who are turning to bernie sanders, right? you can feel that economic insecurity. you can be upset about the country. and you can decide who is to blame for that -- >> perhaps if bernie sanders didn't say he was a socialist they might be drawn to him. >> there's a lot of fuel in donald trump's sails that come from the fact that a lot -- not a lot but there are many americans who simply don't like the fact that a black man is in the white house. okay? and i just happen --
1:47 am
>> you're going all out tonight. >> it's 12:45. >> not in california. but go ahead. >> that is a fact. that is a motivating factor. i mean, we can talk about people's hearts, but is that not true? >> you're going to jump on this train? >> the demographic complexion of the country is changing dramatically. so barack obama is a symbol for a larger shift. >> i'm not talking about the xenophobia and -- there's racism in this country, but you cannot paint every trump supporter -- >> i agree. >> i won't go there. >> we're all going all in, right? before we get out of here. >> come join me. i'm in the water. >> you reap what you sow. and i said that via twitter two weeks ago. chris cuomo used it this morning right here with glenn beck. this is what you get when party leadership becomes men with microphones. and when the leadership of the
1:48 am
gop has been abdicated to a.m. radio and cable television presenters, not at this station, these candidates, cruz and trump, are a reflection of that leadership. so why should we be surprised when they vault to the top of the polls? because that's who's left in the gop. >> amen. >> there's a vacuum. >> i think not every trump supporter's racist. not every trump supporter's a white guy from the south either. >> these are -- >> not every bernie sanders' supporters of occupy wall street. >> republicans who are not only fed up with the establishment, they're fed up with the republican party. they believe the republican party has disappointed them at every turn, hasn't done what it said it was going to, do and they're looking elsewhere. and they're not looking toward establishment politicians. >> i've got to get to a break. >> here's the thing. you're a media guy.
1:49 am
i think trump also is a creation of the media system that we're in. fdr was able to use radio in a different way. jfk used tv in a different way. obama used the internet in a different way. trump is a reality tv and social media phenomenon. and being rude on reality tv gets you more ratings. being mean on twitter gets you more followers. he's following the rules of the new system, and nobody else is. >> we don't have time to get to sarah palin and tina fey, do we? let's -- speak of television, go. >> for all you teachers and teamsters. you farmers and charmers. whether you're a mom or two broke girls or three men and a baby or a rock and roller, holy roller pushing stroller, pro bowler with an abscessed molar. >> she's a firecracker. she's a real pistol. she's crazy, isn't she? >> ga, ga, ga, ga, ga! >> she is the best impression of anyone i have -- >> i love it.
1:50 am
>> -- i have ever seen. talk about two people who drive headlines and ratings. those two together. >> and votes. >> and votes. >> but listen, i did not think when i actually saw them together that "snl" could do it any better but "snl" did it better. >> you knew that moment was coming because tina fey called and said get me the sparkly jacket, i'll be there in five minutes. we'll be right back after this break. "ow..."
1:51 am
"are you okay?" "yeah, i just got charged for my credit monitoring. that's how i know it"s working." "ah. you know you can go on creditkarma.com and check it out there. it's completely free." "really?" "yeah" "oh, that didn't hurt at all." "yeah, completely painless." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
1:52 am
1:53 am
takeaway moments.
1:54 am
let's get everybody. i'll start with you, bakari. what's your takeaway from tonight? >> iowa's important. iowa's important in this race because of the simple fact that if bernie sanders wins iowa and new hampshire i think the game is really on. it's going to tighten up in south carolina and other places. but i think that hillary clinton did a great job tonight and probably is going to escape iowa to victory. >> if you're a veteran living overseas you can still caucus on monday night. the democratic party has made -- >> true party leader. >> and we also have satellite locations for seniors and others. so check your inbox. >> who separated themselves, donna? >> there's no question that hillary clinton did great, but i also thought that bernie sanders did a wonderful job. and martin o'malley too. i can't take sides. >> michael. >> performances tonight were good, better, and best. think we all know who fits into each category. i for one just cannot wait for people to cast ballots on monday. i'm so sick and tired of talking about the polls. and i want to see if the polls hold water for trump. >> i've got a minute. peter, go ahead. >> for me the takeaway is how
1:55 am
strikingly different -- what a different america it is inside the democratic and republican party. you dent didn't get a lot of anger in the democratic party, not a lot of fear. these are people who basically think america is okay and on the right track. totally different climate than in the republican party. >> hillary clinton was so strong tonight. there was a whole stretch where chris cuomo just disappeared. chris cuomo is a huge force, and he just disappeared. that's how strong she was. >> don't tell him that. >> but bernie sanders showed america why he's surging. and i think he did a great job tonight. >> miss borger, you get the last word. >> hillary clinton knows she's got to win iowa. it's really important to her because her chances are not so good in new hampshire. if she wins iowa she can really blunt bernie sanders' momentum. and she came tonight with that understanding. and i think it really showed. he did a good job, but she really was out there saying this is my moment. >> win or go home. >> thank you, everyone. i appreciate it. everyone came to play tonight. all the candidates.
1:56 am
>> three snaps for don. >> thank you. and a z formation. thank you, guys. or a circle, whatever one you want. that's it for us. i'll see you back here tomorrow night 10:00 p.m. eastern. make sure you tune in.
1:57 am
1:58 am
1:59 am
2:00 am
democrats running for president face-off. hillary clinton and bernie sanders making their cases six days until the iowa caucuses. what came out on top? and will donald trump boycott the next debate? and the anti-abortion activists who secretly taped planned parenthood employees and created a political fire storm now indicted. welcome to "early start." i'm christine romans. >> i'm boris sanchez. there are just six days left until the iowa caucuses. the democrats

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on