Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  March 30, 2016 11:00am-1:01pm PDT

11:00 am
joining us, for your expertise. >> that's it for me. thanks very much for watching. i'll be back 5:00 p.m. eastern in "the situation room." for our international viewers, amanpour is next. for our viewers in north america, newsroom today with pam raw brown starts right now. hello. i'm pamela brown in today for brooke baldwin. great to have you along with us on this wednesday. let's get right to it. we're six days from the next big republican contest in wisconsin. and check out this new poll just coming in to us from marquette law school. as you can see right here, it shows cruz in the lead with 40% support from likely gop primary voters. he's up 19 points from last month, while donald trump is in second, followed by john kasich. and this also just in to cnn this afternoon. 16 conservative women who are a part of the news media are now calling on trump to fire his campaign manager.
11:01 am
corey lewandowski, as we know, has been charged with simple battery in florida after a video we see right here showed an encounter this month between him and a reporter. still, trump is standing by his top aide. this is what he told our anderson cooper at cnn's republican town hall. >> i almost fell to the ground. i almost fell to the ground. she didn't almost fall to the ground. he got in her way. by the way, she was grabbing me. am i supposed to press charges against her? anderson, my arm is killing me. it's never been the same. excuse me. excuse me. i didn't suggest. >> yeah, you did. >> i tweeted. >> a tweet is a suggestion. >> should i press charges? >> are you going to? >> maybe i should. >> all right, so let's talk about all of this with barry bennett, a senior adviser for the trump campaign, and ben carson's former campaign manager as well as molly ball, a political writer for the atlantic, and cnn political commentator, ana navarro. first to you, i have to ask, do
11:02 am
you agree with the women coming out asking for trump to fire his campaign manager? >> i do. but i think it's a moot point. i think there's absolutely no chance that donald trump will do as much. look, i think this is a ridiculous situation that has escalated to this level because of the campaign manager's inability, unwillingness to apologize, to issue a simple apology at the moment it happened. things happen in the heat of a campaign. things happen in the heat of a post-debate spin room. these things are usually like mosh pits. you know, it would have been such a simple act to just say, you know what, tempered flare. it might have gotten a little out of control. i'm sorry. i don't think we would be where we are today, where we have now been discussing for 48 hours, if not more, what happened there and the legality of it, and just the ridiculous conversation that has so little to do with the
11:03 am
policy issues confronting this nation. you know, this just gets -- getting more and more surreal by the day. by the hour. >> so barry, to ana's point, why didn't he and why doesn't he just apologize? what about trump? as we have heard him say, he's standing by his campaign manager. he won't apologize either. do you approve of the way they're handling the situation? >> well, i agree with ana that this is beyond absurd at this point. what she accused them of at the beginning even though she's never talked to the campaign was someone grabbed her and threw her to the ground. donald trump was just wandering around, and he approached her, and then someone grabbed her and threw her to the ground, which obviously, that never happened. the videotape is very clear about that. you know, i also agree with ana, and i'm sure molly had this too, you get into the media scrums, the first thing that goes out the window is etiquette. you have microphones sticking people, shoving. everybody wants to get to the guy who's doing the talking. so you know, i think it's time
11:04 am
to move on. this is ridiculous. let's talk about the issues. let's talk about the economy, let's talk about our failed government. let's talk about, you know, our safety. and let's start talking about the things that matter to people. >> let's talk about this new poll, molly. this poll comes out from marquette university showing cruz holding a wisconsin. do you think the publicity, everything going on surrounding trump could be hurting him? >> it seems to be. it's interesting to hear barry say we should move on and talk about the issues because it's trump who doesn't want to seem to do that. he was boasting today about how this controversy has overshadowed scott walker's endorsement of ted cruz. you know, last night at the town hall, repeatedly, was changing the subject when he was pressed on issues. so if there's anyone who doesn't seem to want to talk about the serious issues in the campaign, it seems to be donald trump. >> molly, that's not fair. >> okay. tell me how anything i said isn't true.
11:05 am
>> the lead on the program, was it scott walker's endorsement of ted cruz? no, donald trump didn't set that. this is what's news. he just stated a fact. doesn't mean he doesn't want to talk about theish oo as. >> instead of having corey lewandowski apologize or firing him or putting it behind him, he made it into a bigger deal. he dared her to file a police report. that was the only way to get justice for what happened to her. >> does she have a point that donald trump is fueling the fire in order to take away from this other news about scott walker's endorsement and so forth? do you think that's a valid point? >> i think there is a reality that this is what the media is talking about today, and not scott walker. whether or not that was donald trump's intention, i have no idea. i don't think so. but you know, i'm sure he would rather be talking about the immigration problem, the heroin problem, the isis problem, the economy problem. but this is what we're talking about today. >> can i tell you, if either of you two think that even without this entire michelle fie
11:06 am
fields/corey lewandowski controversy going on, we would be speaking about scott walker's endorsement today, you guys have much bigger impression about scott walker than i think most tv producers do. >> just for the record, we did talk about it yesterday when the endorsement was announced. >> for all of 15 minutes, pam, because the attention deficit span that's going on in the news world, in the political world, is pretty great right now. >> i can't argue with that, ana. i also want to talk about this news that came out of our town hall yesterday where you saw all of the gop candidates back away from that loyalty pledge that they signed a few months ago. let's take a listen to that. >> i think nominating donald trump would be an absolute train wreck. i think it would hand the general election to hillary clinton. >> honestly, he doesn't have to support me. i'm not asking for his support. >> do you continue to pledge whoever the republican nominee
11:07 am
is? >> no, i don't anymore. >> you don't? >> no, we'll see who it is. >> you won't promise to support the republican nominee? >> he was essentially saying the same thing. >> i have to see what happens. if the nominee is someone i think is really hurting the country and dividing the country, i can't stand behind them. >> clearly, this pledge doesn't carry much weight. >> yes, pam. so they are backing away from the pledge to support the republican nominee. this is my face of shock. look, this race has gotten incredibly personal, incredibly dirty, incredibly controversial. it's in the gutter. it's not about policy issues. the more emotional it gets, the more in the gutter that it gets, the lower the level of the rhetoric that it gets, the more difficult that it gets for there to be unity at the end of this process. and that's a real problem for whomever ends up being the nominee. if any of these three guys is the nominee, it becomes a real problem because i don't see how we can win unless we all get
11:08 am
behind one candidate, unless we all get under one tent. and it's gotten so contentious, so ugly, that it's getting to be a very difficult feat for the people who support one or the other. there's going to be one batch of winners, there's going to be one batch of losers at the end of it. and the schism between those two camps is getting greater and greater by the day. >> to ana's point, molly, whatever you think of this pledge, this no doubt puts the rnc in a tough spot and shows just how fractured the gop is right now. >> yeah, in case that wasn't already obvious, this pledge was never worth any more than the paper it waw printed on. there's this hilarious delicious irony which was the pledge was intended to keep trump in the tent. it was a way to keep trump from wandering off and starting an independent candidacy. now that he's the favorite to win the nomination, it's the other candidates who are suddenly saying they don't stand
11:09 am
by the pledge. and so that, of course, opens the door for trump to say, well, if they're not going to abide by it, i don't have to abide by it either. the whole thing was it was a farce to begin with. there was never any way of enforcing it. >> as ana said, i don't think anyone was surprised. barry, to you, another point that came out of the town hall last night was what trump said on the three services of government. let's take a listen to that. >> well, the greatest function of all by far is security for our nation. i would also say health care, i would also say education. there are many, many things. i would say the top three are security, security, security. >> okay, so barry, some would say that this sounds more like a bernie sanders platform than a true conservative's platform. >> i think what he was talking about and what he was talking about is those are the three biggest problems facing us today as a country. health care, which obamacare has failed miserably. costs are way up and coverage is
11:10 am
nowhere near what we were told it would be. our education system is in a shambles. in the inner city, gun violence killed by the ones and twos, but our education system wipes out hope by the entire generation. we have to fix these things. we have to quit talking about them in washington and fix them. >> health care, housing, and education. also, barry, i want you to listen to anderson call out trump. >> you retweeted an unflattering picture of her next to a picture of your wife. >> i thought it was a nice picture of heidi, it was fine. >> come on. you're running for president of the united states. >> excuse me, i didn't start it. >> sir, with all due respect, that's the argument of a 5-year-old. >> i didn't start it. no, it's not. excuse me, you would say that. that's the problem with our country. >> all right, pretty heated there. barry, do you agree trump needs to tone it down? >> i think everybody should tone it down, right? you've got this group that used the picture of mr. trump's wife,
11:11 am
which is a super pac that's headquartered apparently inside carly fiorina's offices. carly is defending him on the stage. it's -- it's crazy. ana is absolutely right. this whole thing is beyond absurd at this point. we have a couple months left. let's get through it, go to the convention. let's have a beer summit at the convention. i'm buying, ana, and -- >> i don't drink beer. with me, you have to do red or white wine. or scotch. >> i like the red, bigger the better. >> beer bloats me too much. >> we'll leave it there, thanks, guys. barry, molly, ana, thank you very much. by the way, any moment now, donald trump to speak live at a rally. we're going to dip in. >> plus, one political analyst predicts who trump would pick for his cabinet should he become president. he'll reveal those, and it could become one of the biggest issues of the election in a battleground state. big business from the nba to the
11:12 am
banks fighting back over a new bathroom law. details just ahead. here's the plan. you want a family and a career, but most of the time you feel like you're trying to wrangle a hurricane. the rest of the time, they're asleep. then one day, hr schedules a meeting with you out of the blue. and it's the worst 19 minutes of your career. but you don't sweat it because you and your advisor have prepared for this. and when the best offer means you're moving to the middle of nowhere, the boys say they hate the idea. but you pretend it's not so bad. and years later at thanksgiving, when one of them says what he's thankful for most, is this house, you realize you didn't plan for any of this you wouldn't have done it any other way. with the right financial partner, progress is possible. wrely on the us postal service? because when they ship with us, their business becomes our business. that's why we make more e-commerce deliveries
11:13 am
to homes than anyone else in the country. here, there, everywhere. united states postal service priority: you want to survive a crazy busy day? sfx: cell phone chimes start with a positive attitude... and positively radiant skin. aveeno® positively radiant moisturizer... with active naturals® soy. aveeno® naturally beautiful results®. this just got interesting. why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away
11:14 am
for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card
11:15 am
11:16 am
the race for the white house where washington and wall street collide. investors scrambling to figure out what each candidate might mean for the economy and their portfolio and the unpredictable 2016 cycle has proven to be a head spinning numbers game. joining me, the man who advising these nervous investors. chris krueger, thanks for coming on. >> thanks for having me. >> before we get into which candidates are keeping investors up at night, you have actually been crunching the numbers and you came up with six states you believe can still stop trump. what did you find? tell us about that. >> well, wisconsin is really the first of the six, that's next tuesday. wisconsin, then following new york, then you have indiana race in may, then really the last day of the primary is june 7th.
11:17 am
that's when california really looms large. and it's not just that trump has to lose one of these states. cruz and kasich really have to combine to win a majority of the delegates in all six of these to keep trump from that key number, which is 1,237. 1,237 delegates is the only number that really matters now, much like in the electorate college in the fall, 270 being the only number that matters there. these six states are really the dominos that would have to fall to deprive trump of the nomination, and we'll see how they begin next tuesday in wisconsin. >> so from your calculations, what is the probability that donald trump will reach that magic number? >> we have a 70% probability that trump hits that 1237 number. and you know, with wisconsin -- you know, you have a lot of these states that are primed for trump. and it's not even so much that it's a one-on-one with trump
11:18 am
against the never trump crowd, so to speak. it's this continued fractured field between ted cruz and john kasich, continues to allow trump to win these winner-take-all states with a plurality, not a majority. >> you describe your political views as, quote, switzerland. but which candidate do investors fear the most from your research? >> well, i mean, bernie sanders clearly would be the one who would give investors the most heart burn. you know, on the republican side, you know, john kasich, i think certainly would be one that investors would feel a little more comfortable with. with donald trump, it's, you know, investors thrive on predictability and certainty. with trump, that's not a commodity that comes too frequently to the fore. >> and you have always, speaking
11:19 am
of trump, crafted this hypothetical trump cabinet. who is in that cabinet? i was looking over it, one of them was someone who just endorsed ted cruz, right? >> right. well, look, hillary clinton was barack obama's secretary of state. so you know, anything can happen. for us, though, looking at who could be in a trump cabinet, trump has said routinely he plans on having a number of military leaders. that would make a lot of sense. it would follow insert of the footsteps of a ross perot taking a jim stockdale and others sort of in that mold. but you know, jim webb was a democrat, ran obviously against hillary clinton and bernie sanders. he's said he would have real trouble voting for hillary in the fall. he's exactly the type of voter in the fall, if trump is the republican nominee, who will be sort of the older reagan democrat, the disaffected sort of blue-collar, predominately
11:20 am
white voters who would make up the trump coalition. someone like that is someone to keep an eye on. and a number of those sort of so-called or former reagan democrats that could well flock to trump come november. >> all right, chris, thank you so much. interesting perspective there. >> thank you. up next on this wednesday, the battle for new york. donald trump and hillary clinton on a collision course. both claiming the empire state as their home turf. clinton strikes with a political ad targeting the manhattan billionaire, but with bernie sanders still winning states, is it too much too soon? plus, north carolina under pressure, and now feeling major backlash from big businesses. more than 80 major companies taking a stand against the controversial new law. we'll discuss after this break. protection r now comes with an incredible double your money back guarantee. always discreet is for bladder leaks and it's drier than poise. try it, love it or get double your money back. always discreet.
11:21 am
11:22 am
11:23 am
♪ everything kids touch during cold and flu season sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox. incredible blnow comes with protection an incredible double your money back guarantee. always discreet is for bladder leaks and it's drier than poise. try it, love it or get double your money back. always discreet.
11:24 am
11:25 am
just a short time from now, bernie sanders hosts a town hall in wisconsin. he is scrambling to woo supporters and win back some ground against rival hillary clinton. the wisconsin primary is just six days away. 86 delegates are on the line. and of course, we'll bring you some of sanders' town hall live next hour. meantime, sanders is slamming donald trump. speaking with erin burnett, he weighed in on the arrest of corey lewandowski, charged with battery for allegedly grabbing a reporter. >> what has concerned me very much about donald trump is the edginess of close to violence around his campaign.
11:26 am
what i found absolutely shocking, not only the campaign manager's action, but he was prepared or indicated he was prepared to pay the legal fees for somebody who quite openly sucker punched somebody, right, knocked them down. when you say you're going to pay the legal fees for somebody who commits a gross act of violence what you're really telling your supporters is violence is okay. >> trump says he will not fire lewandowski and that the reporter is exaggerating. >> meantime, the battle over the empire state is already heating up, with donald trump, hillary clinton, and bernie sanders claiming new york as their home turf. and now, clinton is striking first, unleashing her first new york television ad. while it does not specifically mention her rivals, it's quite clear who she's targeting. >> when some say we can solve america's problems by building walls, banning people based on their religion, and turning against each other, well, this is new york. and we know better.
11:27 am
>> all right, so the ad shows footage of violent rallies, including a trump supporter punching a protester. let's talk it over with clinton campaign chief strategist joel benenson. thanks for coming on. >> thanks for having me. >> you watch this ad, and it looks more like an ad for the general election. have you already moved on from bernie sanders? >> no, i think the ad is for new yorkers who know that hillary clinton has been fighting for the values that new yorkers hold dear to them. this is, as she notes in the ad, and as the ad is communicating, a very diverse state. it's where people come in through ellis island. generations of immigrants have, so many new yorkers are first, second generation here. these are important values to be talking about in this campaign because it's about who we are as a country. so it's very much an ad that is relevant as we head into the primar primary, and certainly, she's been speaking out. you showed a clip of senator sanders.
11:28 am
she's been denouncing donald trump's calls to violence and his divisive rhetoric since the first day he started doing that on the stump. so it's great that senator sanders is joining in that. it's very important that i think all new yorkers reject that kind of tone. >> but this ad clearly is targeting donald trump even though he's not named explicitly. does this mean you fear donald trump in new york, who is also claiming new york as his home turf? >> well, look, you have everybody who has got new york connections here. senator sanders is a native new yorker from brooklyn. donald trump, obviously, is here. so you have three people from new york. you know, again, i think the point here is that we're electing a president to represent the country. these primaries are about where people are going to take the country. and the value of our diversity is front and center in who we are as americans. hillary clinton has been making that case from day one. that everybody, no matter who you are, where you're from, what you look like, should be able to
11:29 am
live up to your god given potential because the only way america can reach its potential is if all of us do. i think it's a unifying message. it's one that's an important test for any president. i think she's making the case she's the best person to be president of the united states. >> right, but does she fear donald trump in new york? >> does she -- >> is she concerned about donald trump's appeal in new york, considering this ad is focused on him? >> no, i think we're running in a primary against bernie sanders. we're making a case throughout this campaign, as bernie sanders is, about which one of these two democrats is better to represent the democratic party going forward. and just as we have throughout a host of states, we have won most of the primaries. we're ahead in pledged delegates. we're ahead of sanders in popular delegates by 2.5 million, but we want to build our pledged delegate lead. our message about diversity and appreciatation of diversity in new york is a good starting place to have the debate going
11:30 am
forward that we're going to have. >> i don't need to tell you this but you caused waves when you said clinton would only debate sanders in new york if he changes his tone. >> senator sanders doesn't get to decide when we debate, particularly when he's running a very negative campaign against us. let's see if he goes back to the tone he said he was going to set early on. if he does that, we're talk about debates. >> no chance of a new york debate? >> i didn't say that. we're going to talk about it and see what tone he sets. >> now, your aides say clinton is willing to debate. what changed here? did sanders' tone change, the clinton camp have a change of heart? what's going on? >> first of all, i said and you played the tape, which i'm glad because i ever said we wouldn't debate. i said we would talk about it. i was refring to an article that had come out in the "washington post" the day before. where they were talking about poll testing attacks they would level against hillary clinton. right now, the two campaigns are talking about having a debate
11:31 am
some time in april. look, hillary clinton has also wanted to debate. has also liked debating. she does very well in debates. we had eight debates, and early on when we agreed to the debates in february and march, we all said we would have a debate in april. whether that happens in new york or pennsylvania or where it will happen in april, that's what the two camps are talking about now. i think the most important thing voters want to hear is the two candidates debate the issues and where their differences are big or small. and that's what the rest of this primary in new york is going to be about. >> so to be clear, though, there will be a debate? >> well, i didn't say there will be. i said the two camps are talking, as i understand it. i believe those discussions are pointing towards a sd bait. but nothing has been agreed to yet. they're in discussions. >> all right, joel, thank you very much. >> thank you. up next, north carolina's governor doubling down on a new law that prevenlts local governments from prohibiting discrimination. but does the law stand a chance? once big business weighs in.
11:32 am
plus, one reporter just spent 24 hours on the campaign trail with donald trump. hear what she discovered, including what she says most people don't know about him. moderate to severe crohn's disease is tough, but i've managed. except that managing my symptoms was all i was doing. and when i finally told my doctor, he said humira is for adults like me who have tried other medications but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease. and that in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections,
11:33 am
or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
11:34 am
11:35 am
11:36 am
criticism of a new north carolina law that limits legal protections for lgbt people is mounting. bank of america is now joining more than 80 companies urging the governor to repeal it. the law stop s cities from passing antidiscrimination ordinances and it requires people to use bathrooms that correspond with their birth gender. governor pat mccrory is not backing down and says the facts of the law are being distorted.
11:37 am
>> my message is the same as it has been. we have not taken away any rights that currently existed in any city in north carolina, from raleigh to durham to chapel hill to charlotte. we have -- every city and every corporation has the exact same discrimination policy that they had this week as they had two weeks ago. >> and i want to talk about this with clay aiken, a former democratic congressional candidate from north carolina, and rana, thanks to both of you for coming on. clay, i want to start with you from the personal perspective. you're a north carolina native, you call it home. what's your take on all of this? >> it's disappointing to me. north carolina has been a state that has been pretty deliberate in its past and its history. last state, one of the last states to sign the bill of rights, one of the last states to secede, and then in 2012, started kind of moving backwards with being the very final state,
11:38 am
the last state to ban same-sex marriage, and now a law like this. it's very upsetting. we watched indiana do it a few years ago with a similar bill that caused a lot of outrage, and to see my home state is upsetting. to hear governor mccrory say what he just said right there in the clip you played which is incredibly disn jengeingenious it's not accurate. >> hets we're not taking away any rights that weren't in place. >> that's not true. the law says this new discrimination polly supersedes and preempts any ordinance that other cities in north carolina have passed already. so it's taking those protections away in cities like chapel hill and charlotte and raleigh that already have them, and for him to say otherwise is not -- it's completely dishonest. >> you have more than 80 companies, apple, google, and bank of america, based in charlot charlotte, pushing for the governor to repeal the law, and
11:39 am
north carolina's attorney general said it will set the state's economy back. what kind of impact could this have on north carolina when it comes to attracting businesses, workers, and students? >> it could have a big impact. if you look at what the industries are in north carolina, that are really growing, it's the tech industry, it's the financial services industry. most of the largest tech companies in america signed the letter of protest to the governor. companies like apple, facebook, yahoo. you've got bank of america, the largest employer in the state, by revenue, saying we don't like this. it's not part of how you create a growth environment for companies. and so i think it really could have a serious impact. i think you're also seeing more and more coalitions of business leaders really coming together at a state by state level to fight legislation like this. mark benny off, the ceo of sales force was part of a campaign to fight similar legislation in georgia, to turn back anti-gay legislation in indiana. i think it's going to be a big competitive issue. >> clay, unlike north carolina,
11:40 am
virginia governor terry mcauliffe vetoed an anti-lgbt bill, saying we're not going to tolerate discrimination and it's bad for business. why do you think north carolina's law passed? >> well, one of the reasons it passed is because they did it sort of in the dark of night. they did it under cover, came back from recess to pass this law. and because they did it secretively, they didn't have the issue that georgia had just this last week where nathan diehl had pressure. he had not signed the law yet, not done anything with it. he had pressure from disney and a lot of movie studios to take business out of georgia. since north carolina snuck it in under the wire and governor mccrory didn't have the pressure from the companies who have come out and spoke against it, they were able to get it through without having that backlash. i think, you know, the republicans in the general assembly have miscalculated. they believe this is something to give them cover in an election year, but the people of north carolina, north carolina's a purple state at best now, and the people of north carolina are
11:41 am
certainly paying attention to this. and they're recognizing that the gop in north carolina has made it a bathroom issue, but this law goes so much further than that. it's -- it doesn't -- >> you know, it's interesting because this idea of how this is going to impact voters actually connects with why companies are concerned about it. most millennials are for gay marriage. they're for equal rights for this community. for the companies that are saying, hey, we don't want this, it's also a consumer issue just as it's a voting issue. >> and employees as well. and rana, given what clay said, if this was indeed a miscalculation, and given all the pressure that the governor is under right now, with this law, what should his next move be now? do you think this pressure will get him to change his mind? >> i don't think he has a lot of good options, pr wise, but i think what's interesting is you do see companies, even after laws like this have been passed, coming in and continuing to campaign, continuing to say, can we turn back this legislation? and i think that if you start to
11:42 am
see a jobs impact, particularly in an economy like the one we have right now, that is very competitive, a recovery that is still fairly weak, you might see a change of heart on the part of politicians. >> senators and representatives in north carolina and the general assembly have gerrymandered their districts where they're playing to their base with this. governor mccrory has been controlled by the general assembly because they had super majorities that could override even vetoes he put through. they're not going to be pressured because of their bases and house and senate districts within the state are so red they're playing to the far right. i don't see him necessarily backing down on this. and as a democrat, i think it puts roy cooper, who is the attorney general, who spoke out against it, it puts him in a much better position for november. >> he's certainly feeling the pressure from businesses. clay aiken, rana, thank you very much. and up next on this wednesday, who is the real donald trump? one reporter spent a whole day with trump. what he says most people don't know about him and how he would
11:43 am
handle the nation's nuclear launch codes. up next. my mom loves giving me advice. she even gives me advice...
11:44 am
11:45 am
...about my toothpaste and mouthwash. but she's a dentist so...i kind of have to listen. she said "jen, go pro with crest pro-health advanced." advance to healthier gums... ...and stronger teeth from day one. using crest toothpaste and mouthwash makes my... ...whole mouth feel awesome. and my teeth are stronger too. crest-pro health advanced... ...is superior to colgate total... ...in these 5 areas dentists check. this check up? so good. go pro with crest pro-health advanced. mom's right...again!
11:46 am
11:47 am
we've seen the rallies. we've heard the stump trump speeches, we have read the tweets. what's it really like to be on the campaign trail with donald trump? today, we're talking with someone who knows. the senior editor of "people" magazine followed trump for 24 hours. the cover story, who is the real dnald trump? the exclusive inside story hits stand nationwide on april 11th. and "people" magazine editor charlotte joins me to share her experience. this was not your first time interviewing trump, but what was different this time? did you learn anything new about him that you didn't already know? >> yeah, there was some interesting insight. i interviewed him six months ago when he was on the campaign trail, but it was a whole different world. he didn't have secret service protection. people were dropping by his office to sayhello. it's really a different scenario now. i did the first part of the
11:48 am
interview in his office in trump tower, and it was on total lockdown. secret service everywhere. he even lamented the fact it used to be a lot nicer before. then on the campaign trail the next day, there's really a rough element. there are people clashing all over the place, protesters and the trump supporters. you know, and it was really -- it's really an interesting scene. there's a lot of -- it's very divided right now. >> tell us about those encounters with fans and protesters. gr you know, i talked to both supporters and protesters before the rally and also after the rally. i notice that on their way in, everyone that i spoke to was very articulate. they wanted to explain their message, and they were really calm. afterwards, people were really riled up. i started to see people getting into fights. i saw trump supporters spitting on people that he assumed were, you know, undocumented immigrants, with no real reason to believe that. and i heard accounts of people having been beaten up in the stands. >> you also learned more about
11:49 am
trump as a person, his day-to-day routines, including his sleep schedule, or lack thereof, as well as whether or not he has a workout regimen. tell us what you learned on that front? >> he's very proud of the fact he dudabout need a lot of sleep. he needs no more than four hours of sleep a day, and he has stamina he claims his competitors just don't. he says he doesn't need any exercise because when you're on the campaign trail and when he says you're making america great again, you get a lot of exercise just naturally. and i have heard from a lot of people that he's actually a big fast food fan, but he told me he lost 15 pounds on the trail because there's not time to eat and because he's so worked up that, you know, he's burning a lot of calories. >> he also talked about more serious matters when it comes to having his finger on the nuclear button, and how people feel about that, their fears. what did he say? >> yeah, people are scared of the idea of him having his finger on the button, but he says he would actually much slower to the draw than people would imagine.
11:50 am
he thinks he would be slower than some of the people he's running against. and that, you know, in his own words, no one would mess with the united states. but he would be very slow to actually engage because he does realize the severity of that. we hear him talk about his family a lot on the trail. did you see his family? what was that like? >> i view eed him with melania x months ago. this time, she was taking care of barron, who turned 10 the weekend before i was with him, but he said it's been tough on them. he miss said them, but they meet up every couple weekends in mar-a-lago or back home in new york city. >> charlotte, thank you very much. we'll check out the article in "people" magazine. >> and we have breaking news to tell you about at this hour. prosecutors announcing they will not charge two police officers in the shooting death of an african-american man. protesters starting to gather right now in a major american city. we'll take you there up next. hey, you forgot the milk!
11:51 am
that's lactaid. right. 100% real milk, just without the lactose. so you can drink all you want... ...with no discomfort? exactly. here, try some... mmm, it is real milk. see? delicious. hoof bump! oh. right here girl, boom lactaid®. 100% real milk. no discomfort and for a creamy and delicious treat, try lactaid® ice cream
11:52 am
11:53 am
11:54 am
11:55 am
minneapolis after it was announced today two officers will not face charges in the shooting death in november of jamar clark. the 24-year-old african-american man was shot in the head during a scuffle with two white cops. and investigators say clark had attacks his girlfriend and interfered with paramedics before grabbing an officer's gun. but witnesses say clark was handcuffed when he was shot. and now members of black lives matters in the minneapolis chapter of the naacp are expressing frustration and outrage. >> we saw him being violently grabbed to the ground. we heard from witness statements that contradict what you and the officers are stating. and you did not give any credence or credibility to what the witnesses on the north side had to say about what happened. that is the problem with this system today. it's very difficult for the average citizen to get justice
11:56 am
in a system that protects officers who engage in misconduct. >> all right, let's gro straigh to ryan young. what led to this decision? >> reporter: pamela, people are very upset about this. in fact, the decision has been taken four months, as they did the investigation. we wanted to show you what was going on right now on the ground. if you look behind me, you can see parts of the community starting to gather. they have signs out. this is the exact spot where jamar clark was shot and killed. community members do plan to get together around 6:00. some people decided they wanted to come out earlier because they want to let the city know their frustrations. in fact, they have been talking about this for several months. they wanted an independent investigation, they did not want some of the details that came out today to take so long to come out. in facts, the prosecutor talked about this investigation and what the officers faced that night. >> forensic evidence and video evidence both support the belief that clark was not handcuffed at
11:57 am
any time through the altercation. accordingly, the hennepin county attorney's office has concluded criminal charges are not warranted against either officer, mark ringgenberg or dustin schwarze. >> so i want to show you this porch. we talked to several people in the community back four months ago. they said they watched from that porch when jamar clark was struggling with the officers. in fact, we'll also show you the video from the back of the ambulance. officers and the prosecutor are contending there was a struggle after he walked over to his girlfriend who they believe he battered before the shooting. he stopped them -- >> forgive me. let's listen in to the mayor, ryan. he's addressing it right now, another official in the city. let's listen. >> my heart breaks for the loss of jamar clark's life and for the pain felt by everybody involved in this incident. there is a tear that has ripped through our community, one we cannot sew back up. together as a city and as a
11:58 am
people, we can walk through this tear to build what we all want, a city that is safe and a city that is equitable for everyone. i absolutely support the right to express those emotions and to demonstrate peaceably. it is as much the job of the city of minneapolis to facilitate the peaceful expression of free speech as it is to keep everyone safe. residents, businesses, visitors, police officers, bystanders, and demonstrators. i thank county attorney mike freeman for his transparency. his professionalism, and his willingness to be pubpicly accountable for his decision. i also appreciate his thorough explanation of the process of the process that he and his office followed to reach the decision as well as his choice to release all of the evidence obtained during the course of the investigation.
11:59 am
i want to talk about what the legal process is going to look like moving forward. in addition to the independent investigation by the bca, the chief and i requested a separate federal investigation by the civil rights division of the department of justice. once that investigation has been completed, the civil rights division and u.s. attorney will determine whether the federal government will bring any charges. once that investigation concludes, mpd will thoroughly review all available evidence from the independent investigations and will be able to make a decision regarding discipline moving forward from there. the chief will follow, but i want to say a word of thanks. i'm joined today by many members of the minneapolis city council. >> of course, we'll keep an eye on the ground there in minneapolis. as this story continues to unfold, in the wake of this announcement that no charges will be held against the two
12:00 pm
cops in the shooting death there in minneapolis. all right, on to the next hour. i'm pamela brown in today for brooke baldwin. more fallout to the video that led to trump's campaign manager being criminally charges. 16 women in the news media are calling on trump to fire corey lewandowski. he's been charged with simple battery after this video showed an encounter this month between him and a reporter. still, trump is standing by his top aide. this is what he told our anderson cooper at cnn's town hall. >> i almost fell to the ground, i almost fell to the ground. she didn't almost fall to the ground. he got her in way. by the way, she was grabbing me. am i supposed to press charges against her. >> you suggested you might. >> my arm is killing me. it's never been the same. excuse me, i didn't suggest. >> yeah, you did. >> i tweeted.
12:01 pm
>> a tweet is a suggestion. >> should i press charges? >> are you going to? >> i don't know. maybe i should. >> and also coming into us today, a new poll from marquette law school that shows ted cruz is the republican to beat in wisconsin next tuesday. his support is at 40%, with trump in second place, followed by john kasich. a lot to talk about, so let's get right to it. ryan williams is a former spokesman for governors romney and sununu, and gloria borger is cnn chief political analyst and also joining us, tara grant, a trump supporter. tara, to you, we're hearing this group of conservative women are calling for lewandowski to be fired. what's your reaction to that? >> i think it's absurd. i'm not real sure how the reporter crossed the line. you would think she would do her job and get permission to approach mr. trump. and she didn't. obviously. and i think anyone would be justified in trying to check her and make sure that, hey, why are
12:02 pm
you kuching my candidate? why the security didn't catch her first and foremost, i have no idea. but the fact that corey had to do anything about it in the first place is kind of ridiculous. but, i don't see that corey did anything wrong. i watched the tape. i have rewatched the tape. as a woman, i tried to find fault, almost, in corey's actions, and i absolutely couldn't. and i do think the reporter -- i think she's absurd. >> clearly, there are different interpretations and opinions about this video. but in the wake of this and other things, gloria, we're seeing in wisconsin in particular, ted cruz is doing better in the polls and donald trump not as much. he's in second place as we see here. what do you make of that? >> if you look deep into the poll that you're just showing on the air now, pamela, what you see is that cruz is doing significantly better with women voters.
12:03 pm
and so up until this point, as we have looked at our exit polls during the primaries and the caucuses, trump has always done the best among the republican candidates with women. so the question that i have, and we really don't know the answer to it yet, but the question that i have is whether there's been kind of a chain of events, including the sort of heidi cruz/melania trump issue, including this issue with this journalist, and whether, you know, there is some kind of a cascade that is actually affecting how women are going to vote in the state of wisconsin and beyond. again, it's too early to tell. this is one snapshot poll. polls have been wrong in this campaign, but it's something we ought to be looking at. >> given all that's going on. ryan, to you, because trump, as we know, is rallying in wisconsin today. he talked about ted cruz calling him a liar. let's take a listen. >> i wouldn't say that your
12:04 pm
governor loves me. because -- no, i knocked him out. he endorsed lying ted cruz. li lying ted. you're a liar. bible high, bible high. puts it down and then he lies. >> so, ryan, do you think that trump is sort of feeling the heat from cruz, given the fact he's up 19 points from just last month? >> well, i think it takes a certain amount of temerity and gall for someone like donald trump who literally lies with every word he says in the campaign trail to refer to anyone else as a liar. donald trump lied about the michelle fields incident. they said it never happened, then they changed their story to it wasn't as bad as it could have been, once the video came out. this is a campaign and a candidate who cannot tell the truth. i do think he's feeling heat from ted cruz now. ted cruz is making progress and i think trump has severely damaged his campaign by standing by his campaign manager, who should have resigned and not put
12:05 pm
his candidate in a position to have to fire him. >> why should he have resigned? >> he grabbed a woman and bruised her. i don't care what the circumstances are, you should not do that. that's just common dedecency. >> would it be different if it was hillary clinton -- >> there is no excuse for grabbing a woman and causing bruises. there's no point in continuing this discussion further. you do not strike a woman as corey did. that's not appropriate. if he can't admit that as a candidate that it's not appropriate to strike a woman, he does not deserve to be in the oval office. >> tara, go ahead. >> it's a matter of security. >> he's got a security officer. donald trump is guarded by united states secret service. >> there was secret service there. >> corey lewandowski is not a secret service agent. he's the campaign manager. it's not his job to enforce security. >> hold on, ryan. clearly, tara is on skype. i want her to respond to what you said, saying donald trump himself is a liar.
12:06 pm
tara. >> donald trump -- you know, two candidates running for president. and there are going to be times when there are going to be times when things -- when there are going to be times when, you know, things are said and it's in the heat of the moment, and then they have to fact check and they have to go back and check other things. you know what, i mean, ted cruz is just, obama did the same thing, bill clinton did the same thing. they have all done it. that doesn't make it right. however, but they have all exaggerated the truth or maybe they were not up to speed on certain issues. and come on. i mean, it's just one of those things that he is not a liar. he's no more of a liar than ted cruz, and it's ridiculous. >> so speaking of going back on something you said you would do, let's talk about the so-called loyalty pledge. gloria, because it seems like all three gop candidates are dumping it. let's take a listen. >> i think nominating donald
12:07 pm
trump would be an absolute train wreck. i think it would hand the general election to hillary clinton. >> honestly, he doesn't have to support me. i'm not asking for his support. >> do you continue to pledge whoever the republican nominee is? >> no, i don't anymore. >> you don't? >> no, we'll see who it is where. >> you won't promise to support the republican nominee. >> she was essentially saying te same thing. >> if the nominee is somebody i think is really hurting the country and dividing the country, i can't stand behind them. >> haufrb you think of this pledge, whatever you thought about it from the beginning, this certainly puts the rnc in a tough spot, doesn't it? >> it does, the rnc is saying we're sure our candidates are going to unite behind the eventual nominee, which is what you would expect the rnc to say. i'm not so sure about that. i think it looks like this is going into a contested convention. if donald trump doesn't get to the magic number before the convention in july.
12:08 pm
and if it heads into a contested convention, the question is, how does the party come out of it? right now, i don't see the party coming out of it any more united than it is going into it, particularly since you saw those candidates last night with anderson refusing to support each other. in so many words. and that's what it was very clear to me, i mean, ted cruz believes his wife has been maligned. you know, these are kind of personal issues that trump and cruz have together. and kasich has said that he disagreed with donald trump fundamentally on everything from foreign policy to the question of corey lewandowski. so it's very difficult. you know, these aren't just spats. these are kind of serious personal policy disputes as well. >> and ryan, i want to get your thoughts on this notion that they're backing away from the loyalty pledge before we move on. >> look, i think it's a difficult situation that ted cruz and john kasich are in.
12:09 pm
donald trump is not someone who they just have policy disagreements on. he's someone who has demonstrated he doesn't deserve to be president. he will not back away from the kkk. he's someone who retweets mussolini. he condonees a campaign manager who strikes a woman. he's gone beyond the pale of what is acceptable from a nominee of our party. if he does become the nominee, i think that's going to raise a lot of turns not just with ted cruz and john kasich but traditional republican primary voter whose have real problems with donald trump's character and complete lack of integrity. >> tara? >> it's amazing to me, this is why donald trump has the following that he has. folks just like ryan, with that same rhetoric, oh, he lacks character. he lacks this. he lacks that. >> he lies. everything he says is a lie. you even admitted that about two minutes ago. he lies like the other candidates lie. he likes all the time. he's incapable of telling the truth.
12:10 pm
you cannot tolerate -- >> let's hear what tara has to say. >> are you saying, ryan, all the candidates across the board, hillary clinton -- what the rnc -- >> hillary clinton is also a liar, just like donald trump. >> what's going to happen is it's going to get hillary clinton elected. right now, the republican party is going to get hillary clinton elected because of the nonsense -- >> donald trump is going to get hillary clinton elected by being an unelectable general election candidate. he's unelectable. he's a loser. >> how can hillary clinton do the things she has done, especially in benghazi, and still, still all the lies that she has told, the lies -- >> she's a bad candidate but donald trump is a much worse candidate. >> guys, stand by. we're going to continue this discussion. but i have to mention that we're just getting remarks in by donald trump, suggesting that women may have to face punishment if they get an abortion. we're going to discuss that right after this break.
12:11 pm
you premium like clockwork. month after month. year after year.
12:12 pm
then one night, you hydroplane into a ditch. yeah... surprise... your insurance company tells you to pay up again. why pay for insurance if you have to pay even more for using it? if you have liberty mutual deductible fund™, you could pay no deductible at all. sign up to immediately lower your deductible by $100. and keep lowering it $100 annually, until it's gone. then continue to earn that $100 every year. there's no limit to how much you can earn and this savings applies to every vehicle on your policy. call to learn more. switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. (patrick 2) pretty great.ke to be the boss of you? (patrick 1) how about a 10% raise? (patrick 2) how about 20?
12:13 pm
(patrick 1) how about done? (patrick 2) that's the kind of control i like... ...and that's what they give me at national car rental. i can choose any car in the aisle i want- without having to ask anyone. who better to be the boss of you... (patrick 1)than me. i mean, you...us. (vo) go national. go like a pro.
12:14 pm
donald trump in wisconsin, about to speak live there. huge crowd there in appleton, wisconsin. we'll be keeping an eye on that. in the meantime, we want to bring our panel back as we have a lot to discuss. gloria, a lot of news came out
12:15 pm
of the town hall last night, including donald trump's response to what the basic, most critical functions of the federal government are. let's take a listen to that. >> so in terms of federal government role, you're saying security, but you also say health care and education should be provided by the federal government. >> those are two of the things. sure, there are many things, housing, providing great neighborhoods. >> aren't you against the federal government's involvement in education? don't you want it to devolve to state. >> to the state. >> and federal health care run by the federal government? >> health care, we need health care for our people. we need a good -- obamacare is a disaster. >> is that something the federal government should be doing? >> the government should lead it, but it should be privately done. >> gloria, you hear that and think this sounds like a democrat's platform? >> this is what ted cruz and before him, jeb bush had been saying to republicans, which is that donald trump is not a real conservative. when you look at conservative
12:16 pm
orthodoxy, obamacare, big government program, big government health care, common core is something that lots of republicans, including ted cruz, don't like because they think it's manipulated by the federal government. and so i think it would give conservatives more reason to say, look, he's not one of us. but having said that, that is not why people are supporting donald trump. they're not supporting him because they think he's a conservative. they're supporting him because they think he's somebody who tells it like it is. and who can get things down. and the notion of how he stands on one particular domestic policy issue doesn't seem to sway anybody, at least it hasn't so far in these republican primaries. >> all right, and let's talk about muslim neighborhoods because ryan, that clearly was a hot topic at last night's republican toub hall. let's listen to that. >> listen, if you want to stop radical islamic terrorism, the answer isn't to go hang out in
12:17 pm
random neighborhoods. it is instead to focus on communities where radicalization is at risk. >> we're not going to police muslim neighborhoods. we can't afford polarization of people in the civilized world. >> clearly, cruz and kasich gave two very different answers. >> they gave different answers. i think there's a concern right now obviously about terrorism and foreign affairs. i think senator cruz is trying to address that, that concern. donald trump, of course, came out with his muslim ban, which went way too far, is not legal, is inappropriate, but it is a concern among republican primary voters. i think ted cruz is trying to speak to their concerns and talk about ways to insure that our country is safe. >> tara, i want to get your reaction on our anderson cooper calling out donald trump. let's listen to that. >> you retweeted an unflattering picture of her next to a picture of your wife. >> i thought it was a nice picture. it was fine. >> come on. >> i thought it was fine. she's a pretty woman. >> you're running for president of the united states.
12:18 pm
>> excuse me, i didn't start it. i didn't start it. >> with all due respect, that's the argument of a 5-year-old. >> i didn't start it -- no, it's not. you would say that. that's the problem with our country. >> tara, do you agree? does trump need to tone it down at all? >> absolutely not. donald trump, we support donald trump because of exactly what he said. did i think anderson cooper was needling him way more than he needled any other candidate last night? absolutely. and so do a lot of people. even ted cruz supporters that i have spoken with today, john kasich supporters that i have spoken with today, they thought the same thing. they thought anderson cooper may have hit below the belt with the 5-year-old comment. how are you going to call a presidential candidate like he's acting like a 5-year-old. >> let me defend my colleague anderson cooper here, because i think anyone who has been a mother and has a 5-year-old or has been around 5-year-olds knows that the phrase, he started it, is kind of something we're used to hearing. i don't think anderson meant it
12:19 pm
in any detrimental way. he asked, wait a minute, is that an answer that a presidential candidate ought to be giving? he said, you sound like a 5-year-old. i thought it was a natural kind of response to it. i don't think he meant to insult donald trump in any way, shape, or form. >> i don't think he meant to insult him. our panel, thank you very much for those comments. jim accosta right now, we're going to go to him because he is live in the donald trump rally in appleton, wisconsin. jim. >> hi, pam. that's right. donald trump has just started speaking here at this rally in appleton, wisconsin, just a few days from the wisconsin primary. and an issue that is very important to republicans in the state, a lot of catholic voters on the republican side in the state, is the issue of abortion. donald trump did an interview with msnbc earlier today. portions are now being released. during one portion of this interview that's been released, donald trump talks about the
12:20 pm
prospect of punishing women who receive abortions. so let's play a little bit of that clip and talk about it on the other side. >> a woman be punished for having an abortion? >> look -- >> this is not something you can dodge. if you say abortion is a crime or abortion is murder, you have to deal with it under the law. should abortion be punished? >> well, people in certain parts of the republican party and conservative republicans would say yes, they should be punished. >> how about you? >> i would say it's a very serious problem. and it's a problem we have to decide on. it's very -- >> you're for banning it? >> are you going to say put them in jail? is that the punishment? >> i'm asking you because you say you want to ban it. what does that mean? >> i'm pro-life. >> how do you ban abortion? how do you do it? where they had where people will perhaps go to illegal places. you have to ban it. >> you ban it and they go to somebody who flunked out of medical school. >> are you catholic?
12:21 pm
>> yes. >> how do you feel about the catholic church's position? >> i accept the teaching on moral issue. >> do you know their position on abortion? >> yes. >> do you concur with their position? >> -- >> what do you say about -- >> it's not funny. >> it's really not funny. what do you say about your church? >> the churches make their moral judgments. you running for president of the united states will be chief executive of the united states. do you believe in punishment for abortion yes or no as a principle? >> the answer is that there has to be some form of punishment. >> for the woman? >> there has to be some punishment. >> ten years? >> i don't know. >> you take positions on everything else. >> it's a very complicated position. >> a couple things on this. as you know, pam,urmy on, donald trump was very much pro-choice. there are clips of donald trump describing himself as pro-choice. that has been used in ads against donald trump during the course of this campaign. this is a pretty hard line
12:22 pm
position, opposed to abortion, that donald trump is talking about here. and it comes as there's a fresh poll out here in wisconsin that shows ted cruz with a pretty healthy lead over donald trump, but ted cruz, as you know, has a strong base of support among christian conservatives. in the last several minutes, hillary clinton has weighed in on what donald trump said in that interview. she retweeted an nbc inbed's tweet about what donald trump said in the interview about abortion, and hillary clinton adding, just when you thought it couldn't get worse, horrific and telling, and it's sign eed h, which means it's a tweet from hillary clinton. even though we have been talking about corey lewandowski and the simple battery charge over the last 48 hours, there's a fresh topic on the campaign trail. no question about it. donald trump taking a very hard line position when it comes to abortion. >> all this as you point out coming in the back drop of
12:23 pm
donald trump being under scrutiny for the comments he's made about women recently and this controversy surrounding corey lewandowski. we're going to talk more about this after this break. jim accosta, thank you very much.
12:24 pm
12:25 pm
12:26 pm
12:27 pm
right now, donald trump as we see is holding his second rally of the day in wisconsin. let's take a listen for a moment. >> now, i thought he was talking about since world war ii. i think he was talking about like ever. that's pretty sad. we're going to change that. you know, many respects, it's the cheapest single thing we can do. we're going to have a strong military so that nobody can mess
12:28 pm
around with us. nobody. and i see some great vets back here. we are going to take care of our vets, okay. we're going to take care of our vets, fellows. we don't take care of our vets. our vets are our great people. we don't take care of our vets, and we're going to. our vets are treated worse in many cases than illegal immigrants. they come in here and get more benefits than the vets. those days are over. it's part of building up the military. so i see all these good looking guys back here. how many vets do we have? raise your hand. don't even stand up. that's good, that's beautiful. how many vets in the audience generally? a lot of vets. and the vets are being -- they're being humiliated by the way we take care of them. that's going to end. you have seen my plan, i assume,
12:29 pm
in terms of health care and what's going to happen with the vets. it's going to be something -- it's not even a question of the money. you look at phoenix, arizona, where by the way, i have tremendous support, including from sheriff joe. do we love sheriff joe? i'll tell you, sheriff joe doesn't mess around, because when we went to phoenix, 21,000 people near phoenix, and sheriff joe has the border. he's tough with his tents and the whole deal. and we had a lot of protesters, like 200 protesters. they were very loud and very, you know, boisterous, and he said, this isn't going to happen. you know, he walks right up to them. he looks them in the eye. and they're quiet. he's an unbelievable guy. so sheriff joe, they put their cars, 21,000 people, and the cars couldn't get through because they did a blockade of cars on the highway. the cars couldn't get through. they were being delayed tremendously and tremendous traffic jams all the way back to phoenix.
12:30 pm
sheriff joe looked at it. he said move those cars. they didn't move them. they chained themselves to the cars. his guys with chain cutters walked up, boom, boom. they put three or five in jail. everybody dispersed. i'm telling you, in five minutes, that road flowed. it was so beautiful to watch. you saw that, right? it was unbelievable. >> so all of this happening, this rally in wisconsin. at the same time that we're learning about donald trump's comments to msnbc, saying that, suggesting that women who have abortions should be punished. i want to bring in sara murray, who has been covering the trump campaign from the very beginning. sara, what is your reaction to this, because some would say this is -- donald trump used to be pro-choice, and now not only is he saying he's pro-life, but suggesting women who get abortions should be punished? >> that's right, and i think what you're seeing is donald trump learning on the fly how to
12:31 pm
navigate this issue. as you said, he has evolved on this. in the past when he's been pressed for specifics about his view on abortion and how he would like people to deal with it, he sort of dodged the question. obviously, msnbc pressed him to go further on it. here we are now. what you're seeing is a reaction, of course, we're seeing this panned by liberals as you would expect, and we're also seeing a sort of freak-out, a panic for lack of a better word, from republicans who are saying, this undermines everything that sort of the pro-life movement has worked for. their argument, if you are anti-abortion, if you are pro-life, is this belief you're trying to save babies' lives, not that you're trying to punish women for having abortions. that's how the conservative movement has tried to frame this argument, and so to see donald trump come out and say not only should we potentially ban abortions, but there should be a punishment for women. conservatives are looking at this saying donald trump set us back in this argument and liberals are going to use this to harpoon us even more in the
12:32 pm
fight for women voters. >> and sara, this is all coming at a time when, as we know, donald trump has been facing some controversy about his comments about women. you know, there's talk about him losing women voters. how could this impact that, particularly when we're just less than a week away from the wisconsin primaries? >> that's a great question, pam. because when you talk to people who are, you know, political experts here in the state of wisconsin, one of the weaknesses they believe for donald trump in this state will be with women voters, particularly in southeastern wisconsin, particularly in this ring of suburbs that surround milwaukee. and they point to the comments he has made so far, and i guarantee you they are going to start pointing to this as well, as an indication that donald trump is not -- that his values, his views do not align even with conservative women. now, they have been sort of hammering home argument so far, but obviously, in light of everything, his campaign manager
12:33 pm
is dealing with, this battery charge with the female reporter, and then these comments on abors abortion, i think you're going to start to see more conservatives push back, and we're already seeing john kasich react to this, saying of course, women shouldn't be punished for having an abortion. you're going to hear more and more of that. >> we'll have more of the fallout when we talk to a trump campaign chairwoman right after this break. stick around. h and clean and real and inside jokes and school night. good, clean food pairs well with anything. try the clean pairings menu. at panera. food as it should be.
12:34 pm
perfect driving record. >>perfect. no tickets. no accidents...
12:35 pm
>>that is until one of you clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record. >>yup... now, you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? >>no. your insurance rates go through the roof. your perfect record doesn't get you anything. >>anything. perfect! for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claim centers are available to assist you 24/7. for a free quote, call liberty mutual at switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509 call today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
12:36 pm
12:37 pm
welcome back. in case you're just now joining us, we want to listen to what donald trump told msnbc's chris matthews today in a pretaping about his views on abortion and whether women who have abortions should be punished. let's take a listen.
12:38 pm
>> should a woman be punished for having an abortion? this is not something you can dodge. if you say abortion is a crime, or abortion is murder, you have to deal with it under the law. should abortion be punished? >> well, people in certain parts of the republican party and conservative republicans would say yes, they should be punished. >> how about you? >> i would say it's a very serious problem. and it's a problem we have to decide on. it's very -- >> you're for banning it. >> are you going to say put them in jail? >> i'm asking you. you say you want to ban it. what does that mean? >> i'm against -- i'm pro-life. >> how do you ban abortion? how do you do it? >> you'll go back to a position like they had where people will perhaps go to illegal places. >> yeah. >> but you have to ban it. >> you ban it and they go to somebody who flunked out of medical school. >> are you catholic? >> yes. >> how do you feel about the catholic church's position? >> i accept the teaching on
12:39 pm
moral issues. >> do you know their position on abortion? >> yes. >> do you concur? >> with their moral position. legally, here's my problem with it -- >> let me ask you. what do you say -- >> it's not funny. >> it's really not funny. what do you say about your church? they're very strong -- >> the churches make their moral judgments, but you running for president of the united states will be chief executive of the united states. do you believe in punishment for abortion, yes or no, as a principle? >> the answer is that there has to be some form of punishment. >> for the woman? >> there has to be some form. >> 10 cents, 10 years? >> i don't know. >> you take positions on everything else. >> i do take positions on everything else. it's a very complicated position. >> let's talk this over with wendy murphy and tanna. you're in wisconsin right now, in appleton, of course, where we have heard donald trump speaking live at a rally. looks like we're trying to figure out her shot. i'm going to go to wendy murphy, because wendy, donald trump, as
12:40 pm
we heard him say in that clip, says that flat out, that women should be punished for getting abortions. >> he may as well have held up a sign saying i don't want any woman to ever vote for me. i know that there are women who disagree, but it's just such an offensive position to take if you're looking for the women's vote, that he didn't find something else to say, a different way to frame it. he could have said, no, i don't want to punish the women. maybe we should have incentives for doctors not to do the abortions or maybe we punish doctors, which i also disagree with, but he could have said something about respecting the burdens on women. i was shocked. it's such an anti-women position. it made me think, isn't this the same guy who wants to do away with isis because in part they're so barbaric against women. he needs the women's vote. i think he just cut off a significant number of women who might have voted for him by making that remark.
12:41 pm
>> let's bring in tana to get more on the strategy. what do you think about this? she's basically saying that this is going to hurt his ability to get women voters, that he's cutting them off with comments like this. >> i totally disagree. i'm at these rallies with mr. trump, you know, three fourths of the audience are females. this is not going to affect his voters. i know for a fact that women are supporting him, are strong, they're committed. they're loyal to mr. trump. and i mean, they didn't get the meat of the story. they don't know exactly what he was talking about. we'll find out more about that a little later. this just happened. >> he did say flat out there, after being pressed by chris matthews, that yes, women who get abortions should be punished because abortion is a crime. when he was asked if men who get the women pregnant should be punished, he said no. do you agree with that? >> i mean, this just happened, like i said.
12:42 pm
mr. trump is pro-life. he's said he's pro-life. he believes in life. he just had a brand-new baby boy, of course, and that's what he talks about. he's so proud of that, ivanka's third child, and he talks about teddy, so we know mr. trump loves children, believes in, you know, the whole image of family and he's pro-life. he said that time and time again. >> he also said he was pro-choice several years ago. he used to be pro-choice, and he's said his views on the issues have evolved. >> right, and since i have known mr. trump, which has been 11 years, he's been pro-life, and he has not changed his opinion on that. so i can only speak for the man i know and the man that i know has those beliefs. and those are my beliefs. i completely support him, as do all these women here so far. i'm walking around, and nobody has ever asked me one question, i mean, i traveled with him since day one here, and not one question has ever been about pro-life, pro-choice, where is
12:43 pm
mr. trump's stance. the women who love and support mr. trump, that's not one of their top concerns. >> and to be clear, it's one thing to be pro-life, it's another to then take it a step further and say women who get abortions should be punished. we're getting this statement in from the trump campaign saying this issue is unclear and should be put back into the states for determination. like ronald reagan, i am pro-life with exceptions, which i have outlined numerous times. we'll be right back in a moment. t a family and a career, but most of the time you feel like you're trying to wrangle a hurricane. the rest of the time, they're asleep. then one day, hr schedules a meeting with you out of the blue. and it's the worst 19 minutes of your career. but you don't sweat it because you and your advisor have prepared for this. and when the best offer means you're moving to the middle of nowhere, the boys say they hate the idea. but you pretend it's not so bad. and years later at thanksgiving, when one of them says what he's thankful for most, is this house, you realize you didn't plan for any of this you wouldn't have done it any other way. with the right financial partner, progress is possible.
12:44 pm
12:45 pm
12:46 pm
12:47 pm
right now, leaders of japan and south korea are arriving in washington, holding nuclear talks with president obama. the president's goal, to stop nuclear proliferation around the globe. but if trump had his way, the spread of nuclear weapons around the world might not be the worst thing. here's what he told anderson cooper in last night's town hall. >> at some point, we have to say, you know what, we're better off if japan protects itself against this maniac in north korea. we're better off frankly if south korea is going to start to protect itself. >> saudi arabia, nuclear weapon?
12:48 pm
>> absolutely. >> you don't have a problem with them having nuclear weapons. >> not nuclear weapons. but they have to protect themselves. >> if you say to japan, it's fine. south korea, you as well. saudi arabia says we want them as well. >> can i be honest? it's going to happen anyway. it's only a matter of time. hoar or we have to get rid of them entirely. >> joining me now, joseph, author of "nuclear nightmares." thanks for coming on. is there any credence to his thinking here? >> none whatsoever. donald trump has just thrown over 70 years of bipartisan civilian military, congressional, executive consensus that we don't want anyone to get nuclear weapons. every president since harry truman has tried to stop other countries from getting nuclear weapons. no exceptions. we didn't encourage israel to get them or france to get them or great britain to get them. even though those countries
12:49 pm
eventually got them. we especially didn't want japan and germany to get them. this is what motivated john f. kennedy in the 1960s to start the effort for the global nonproliferation treaty. germany and japan were exploring nuclear weapons programs. we wanted to stop them. we did stop them. donald trump has just thrown that overboard saying, no, let's give it to them. this is national security insanity. >> and he also said he's against nuclear proliferation, we should point that out. how have countries like japan >> their leaders have made strong statements of shock and disbelief in their own countries. i expect you might see their leaders here in washington over the next couple of days reaffirming those statements. they strongly believe in the alliance with the united states. they believe the united states has the conventional military power to protect japan and south korea, and of course we extend that to include our nuclear weapons as well, which is why
12:50 pm
japan and south korea don't believe they need nuclear weapons. you do see some rightist elements, some far right conservatives in those countries talking about getting nuclear weapons. that has been a minority sentiment. it's shocking to see it come out of the mouths of their presumptive gop nominee. >> quickly, joe, what do you make of trump's claim that nato is obsolete? >> nato doesn't certainly feel that way. nato has been the most successful military alliance in history. it would be crazy for us to abandon this at this point. adapt it, modify it, change the burden-sharing arrangements, of course, but give it up? no. countries are clamoring to come into nato, not to leave nato. we'd be foolish to abandon that alliance. >> joe, thank you for sharing your perspective. >> thank you. up next on this wednesday, cnn takes you back to the 80s in our new original series and todd bridges will join me live to
12:51 pm
share some of his favorite stories from that decade. ♪ ♪ only those who dare drive the world forward. introducing the first-ever cadillac ct6.
12:52 pm
12:53 pm
a perfect car then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should have done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. just one of the many features that comes standard with our base policy. call for a free quote today. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
12:54 pm
12:55 pm
all right. so pull out your vcr if you still have one and get ready to watch and record cnn's new original series "the '80s." the first episode loorks at the hallmark tv shows that made the era so memorable, like this one. ♪ now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum ♪ >> where's your bracelet? >> oh, it's right here. my dad flipped when he saw it. he said i was too young to be going steady. he sort of forbid me to see you anymore. >> what did he say? >> i forbid you from seeing him anymore. >> joining me now is one of the stars from "diff'rent strokes," willis, aka actor, producer and director todd bridges.
12:56 pm
he's in vegas hosting a new show at the plaza hotel, "lovers and losers." todd, thanks so much for coming on. >> thank you so much for having me. i appreciate it. >> you know, "the '80s" strikes a chord with so many people. it was a special era with the music and the tv shows. talk about being an actor during that time what, that decade meant to you and why so many tv shows from that era still resonate with people. >> well, i think because back in those days in the '80s, tv shows actually meant something and they all had like a beginning, a middle and an end and they were always very helpful toward people learning how to live their life, learning how to live it the right way. if you look at all the '80s shows, they were great shows. somewhere along the line it got muddered up and now we just have showed that were about nothing. back in the '80s all of our shows meant something. it meant something to children, it meant something to adults and
12:57 pm
you could let your child watch it without fear that something bad is going to happen in it that a kid wouldn't understand. >> that was back in the day when everyone huddled around on the couch and watched the show. you and your last castmate, gary coleman, were one of the few black actors on primetime television in the '80s. how big of a deal was it to get that role? >> well, i actually was a show before that, a show called "fish" before i got "diff'rent strokes." "fish" got cancelled. then they realized that gary coleman needed an older brother so i came right off another series to "diff'rent strokes." >> gotcha. >> and robert bergliotti accomplished all that. i actually auditioned for several shows back then. "the mickey mouse club" and "mork and mindy." i had to make a decision and i chose "diff'rent strokes," which was probably the best thing that
12:58 pm
i did. >> and of course that is one of your favorite shows from the '80s, but i have to ask you which other shows of your favorites from that decade? >> from that decade, "miami vice" was a great show. i used to love "all in the family, " "the jeffersons," "gimme a break." all those shows. we showed that clip of you with janet jackson from your show. >> yeah. >> her joining that cast, i imagine, was a really big deal back then. what was it like working with her? do you remember when she sang to you on that one episode? >> well, what happened was actually she was on "good times" at the time and i'd always see her walking in the hallways. they decided that they needed to find me a girlfriend. i was like i already got one, just hire janet. hire her as my girl friend. they hired her as my girlfriend
12:59 pm
and it was it was history. we had our fair share, a lot of fun and we went out a lot and did a lot of things together so it was a lot of fun back then. the '80s were also a lot more safer for kids to be out in the streets. like you could go -- a kid could go -- 4, 5, 6-year-olds could go down the street and they were very safe. and nowadays it's not as safe as it was back then. >> sadly. the cast of "diff'rent strokes" suffered a lot of tragedy, as we know. >> yeah. >> you and dana struggled publicly with substance abuse. how often do you think of that and what you all went through? >> well, for me, it made me into a better human being because now i can counsel different people for different situations. when dana passed away, that was a big blow to me. when gary passed away, it was a big blow to me. but the biggest blow to me was when conrad passed away. that really hurt me because i was talking to him on a regular basis. he was like a dad to me. i recently saw charlotte ray,
1:00 pm
recently saw her. she's still doing well. you know, just knowing that i'm like one of the last survivors of that particular core show is a blessing in itself because everyone thought that i'd be the first to go and i ended up bowing the last man stabbedindi >> you're still going strong. todd bridges, thank you very much. cnn's original series starts tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m. "the lead" starts right now. it turns out that that republican loyalty pledge, it's worth about as much as john berman's broken ncaa brackets. "the lead" starts right now. moments ago, new potentially explosive comments from the one self-styled pro choicer, donald trump. now not only saying that abortion should be banned, but that women should be punished for having them. soft targets are scary enough. imagine the fear a president might have of losing an entire city. president obama hosting a