Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Poppy Harlow  CNN  April 16, 2016 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
what's recommended for me. x1 makes it easy to find what blows you away. call or go online and switch to x1. only with xfinity. [ applause ] >> with primary fast approaching, new york voters have questions for all three republican candidates. tonight, tomorrow and wednesday night they join us in a first for this election cycle, so will their families. we hope it gives you a different side of each candidate, starting with john kasich. he's been pounding the pavement -- >> i feel like i'm getting younger every minute i'm in new york. >> hungry for votes and something on the side. >> i had the baked clams, i had the calamari. >> learning the menu and the
4:01 pm
ropes. >> i will make you this promise -- no more eating preet a with a fork. >> and ohio governor with steel town roots and the iron determination to make a difference. >> i'm fighting for the guy that lived across the street from me who got up early in the morning and was clean and worked all day and came home and was dirty. >> a fight he says about people, not politics. >> i don't play politics. i don't have time for it. >> yet now running third in a race unlike any before with politics like never seen before, can he somehow take his fight all the way to the white house? and how does he manage being a husband, a father, and a candidate? it's the voters' chance to ask his family. this is an anderson cooper 360 cnn republican town hall. candidates their families, voters seeking answers before a choice that could make history.
4:02 pm
[ applause ] >> good evening, thanks for joining us. we're simulcasting live on cnn, cnn international, sirius xm satellite radio channel 116 and the westwood radio network. welcome to all of you, we're here with governor john kasich, his wife karen, and their twin 16-year-old daughters emma and reese will join us shortly. in the audience, we have registered republicans from new york which holds the primary on thursday. we reviewed the questions to make sure they don't overlap. this is a chance for voters to hear at length from the candidates and, for the first time, the people closest to them. before we bring out the family i want to start with governor kasich. thank you for being with us, appreciate it. good to have you here. [ applause ] let's talk about where we are in this race and here in new york polls show right now you're in second place ahead of ted cruz,
4:03 pm
doing very well. the reality is you've only won one state, your home state of ohio, senator cruz is doing very well, picking up delegates even in state he is has not won. just in colorado he walked away -- >> didn't do very well in michigan, though. >> well, do you need to up your game in terms of reaching out to delegates? >> oh, we're reaching out, anderson, all over. it's a bizarre process. i'm not in the middle of it because i've got prepare for people like you and i've got to get out and do town halls and all the things i do. >> do you need to focus more? >> yeah, that's what we are focusing on. >> does it seem like cruz is outfoxing donald trump for delegates? >> for a month i've been saying we're going to the convention and the key is delegate growth. we're going to grow delegates. we're doing pretty well in new york. i lidon't like to predict but we're running second in the state and in many congressional districts it's very close between mr. trump and the campaign we're running. then we go to pennsylvania, we go to connecticut, all over the country so it's the delegate
4:04 pm
hunt that we focus on. >> trump's campaign manager, new convention manager i should say, paul manafort accused ted cruz of using "gestapo tactics" to secure delegates. do you agree with that? >> i don't know, but we're certainly not going to use gestapo tactics to win delegates. >> do you think the system is fair the way it is? donald trump is saying it's rigged? >> it's sort of a scrum. we don't know who the delegates are going to be. they're going to be hardworking republicans. there will be some elected officials or former elected officials. ward heelers and all this. and i've been to a convention that was contested. in 1976 i was there for reagan and i was just a kid at the time and it was amazing because when delegates are seated at a convention, it's really, really serious. they begin to realize they've got to figure out who can win in the fall and, as i always like to remind you, i'm the only one that consistently beats hillary in the fall. and also they'll try to figure out who has the record and
4:05 pm
experience to become president. so it will be become a serious heavy matter when we get into that convention and it's all about the delegates. >> and you believe in the second round or the third round -- just. >> just like lincoln. >> -- it's going go to you? >> i don't know how many rounds it will take but, look, if i'm the only one can that can win in the fall, how do you pick somebody else? >> well, why would a delegate pick you if the only state you've actually won is ohio. >> well, let's see how many delegates we accumulate; but why would you pick somebody who can't win in the fall? let me tell you what the stakes are. i believe if you pick these other guys you're not only going to lose the white house, you'll lose the court, you will lose the united states senate and you're going to lose a lot of seats -- >> why can't ted cruz win? >> because they're too divisive, they're too negative. look at how their negatives are, their negative ratings. it's very hard to turn negatives around. believe me. >> you talked about michigan this weekend. members of your campaign teamed up with members of the trump campaign to deny cruz key convention committee slots. is that something that you instructed your people to do?
4:06 pm
>> no, i don't -- i was watching the masters on sunday. i mean, i wasn't watching what the heck is going on with delegates. >> that's not something you tried to organize? >> i don't do that. i have a team of people. the fact is that there's nothing to be gained from trying to figure out are we with trump, are we working with trump. it's not at all. >> one of the cruz's michigan delegates is suggesting you'll be trump's vice president. in fact, trump in an interview in "usa today" said he likes you, he likes marco rubio and named you in a list of people, he might even consider you for vice president. >> are you asking me if i would be his vice president? >> would you? >> zero. >> absolutely not? >> i'm not going to be anybody's vice president. i would be the worst vice president the country ever saw. you know why? because i'm not like a vice president. i'm a president. >> you don't want to be second fiddle. >> it's not so much about that. i'm running for the top job and if i don't get the job job, i'm still governor of ohio.
tv-commercial
4:07 pm
mayor koch one time ran for governor of new york and he didn't win and they asked him what he thought. he said well, i may not be governor of new york but i'm mayor of new york city and that ain't bad. and so i will be governor and then that's what will happen. but i'm not even thinking that way because i do believe at the end of the day -- and our crowds are growing. we were in greece, new york, we had 4,000 people on saturday. for the first time, people are finally starting to hear the message i have that and we're growing. so i'm optimistic going forward. >> you talking about messages, your super pac released an ad that started running in new york city and pennsylvania. i want to take a listen to it and ask you about it. >> told by his father he was anointed by god to obtain a powerful position. said women should be punished for having an abortion. wants to register muslims, police their neighborhoods, wouldn't rule out using nuclear weapons -- against europe. that's the best we can do? no.
4:08 pm
it's not. john kasich. stable, presidential. >> you're stable with patsy cline's song, sounds like you're saying they're crazy. >> i don't like that ad. i have told my campaign people, i can't communicate with those folks but i don't like that. i don't like the song, i don't like what it represents -- [ laughter ] >> you're not saying you don't like patsy cline. >> oh, i love patsy cline. >> the song in that context. >> i don't like it -- you know, i've objected to some of what they've done a couple times here. >> we talked about that. >> because i'm not -- i don't want to take the low road to the highest office in the land and i haven't and frankly that's why until about a month ago people didn't know who i was. >> you think if you had been more aggressive, more negative -- >> i would have gotten more attention because all the debates were about who can you smear. who do you yell at? who do you insult? then you get a soundbite the next day "guess what he said about them." and i wasn't going to do that because that's not who i am.
4:09 pm
anderson we operated in obscurity, didn't have the money other people had but guess what? i'm still standing. we're like the little engine that can. here's what it gets down to is this. why would by the only one to beat hillary in the fall? why do the polls show that? because basically i'm a person that tries to you neunityounite can attract the blue-collar voters and the independents and why? because i have a history of being able to solve the problems of economic insecurity, putting things in place to make sure our children can have a better life than we had from our parents. and i've got the expertise in foreign affairs as well. you put that together and that's a darn good resume for fixing the country and i think people get a sense of it. >> you've been saying it's going to come down to the convention. >> i've said that for a long
4:10 pm
time. >> senator cruz is admitting that as well, talking about that on the campaign trail. one of the things he's said in the past is rule 40. rule 40 which was on the books in the convention in 2012 requires a candidate to have won the majority of delegates in eight states in order to be nominated. cruz says essentially you're not even going to be eligible to get the nomination. >> i'm going to tell you this. he spent a million dollars making stuff up about me in wisconsin. of course he's going to say that. >> are you going to change the rules? >> there are no rules. the rules get set and you just mentioned when we were in michigan the committees got set better i think the rules will be open. even if they're not i'll go in there with significant delegates but i don't think that's going to happen. i don't think the people will want a closed convention. i think they'll want to give the delegates freedom to make good choices. >> your opponents will say a vote for you is -- if those rules aren't changed it's a wasted vote. >> no, it isn't. because you still can accumulate delegates at the convention. but we're not going to go there,
4:11 pm
anderson. i don't want to get ahead of myself. i was the first one to talk about the fact we were going to go to a convention. the pundits didn't think so. and you know god created pundits to make astrologers look accurate. [ laughter ] so the pundits haven't been right on anything so far, anything. so i'm not going to go down that road. we'll be fine. we'll continue to develop momentum, get bigger crowds, get delegates and go to that convention. and make the case that if you're going -- our goal as a party to beat hillary. i think. >> that would seem to be the goal. >> so wouldn't you pick somebody that can beat hillary rather than somebody who loses to her all the time? and wouldn't you want to pick somebody who has the record and experience of accomplishment to be president so that's not a radical idea. >> we'll take a quick break. when we come back, something you have not yet seen in these town hall questions from the audience to you as well as your wife and your daughters. that and more in the first of
4:12 pm
these "ac360" republican family town hall. [ applause ] it's true what they say. technology moves faster than ever. the all-new audi a4, with apple carplay integration. it'sand your doctor at yoto maintain your health.a because in 5 days, 10 hours and 2 minutes you are going to be 67. and on that day you will walk into a room where 15 people will be waiting... 12 behind the sofa, 2 behind the table and 1 and a half behind a curtain. family: surprise! but only one of them will make a life long dream come true. great things are ahead of you when your health is ready for them. at humana, we can help you with a personalized plan for your health for years to come.
tv-commercial
4:13 pm
make sure it's ano maintelligent one.. ♪ the all-new audi a4, with available virtual cockpit. ♪ life feels a little lighter, potency probiotic,
4:14 pm
livelier, a little more you. ultimate flora probiotics.
4:15 pm
[ applause ] hey, everybody, we're back with ohio governor john kasich. joining us now, his wife karen anddaughters emma and reese. thank you so much for being with us. [ applause ] carolyn, let me start with you, when the governor approached and said "i'm thinking of doing this" what did you think? >> here we go again.
4:16 pm
you know, john was out of politics for a while and when he told me he wanted to run for governor of ohio i thought well, he needs to because someone needs to turn the state around and he's done a wonderful job and he has a great record of improving things in the state of ohio so when he said he wanted to run for president i thought the same thing. i thought, well, someone needs to fix the country and john has the record and let's try. >> earlier we played an interview from randi kaye who said on your first date you called up your mom to say a congressman asked you out and your mom was like "you better buy books on politics and read up on stuff." >> she was concerned how the conversation might go, yes. >> it seemed to go pretty well. >> i think it went fine, 20 years later. >> how about -- emma reese, how about for you when your dad said he was thinking of doing this? i read -- i think he said? a town hall that one of you wasn't thrilled about the idea. i don't want to put either of you on the spot. >> who would that be? >> what was your thinking? >> i didn't want to move to washington. [ laughter ] >> i can understand that. i can understand that.
4:17 pm
>> how about for you. >> i was all for it. i think that he can fix the united states and make it better and i think -- i said go for it. >> were you worried, as a mom, about suddenly all the attention -- you have kids, their teenage years, it's a lot for a family to go through. >> but we live in our own home, we don't live in the governor's mansion, we -- they go to a private school, which i think helps a little bit to keep things normal for them. they're not in the limelight that much. doing a show like this is really pretty special for them. >> we appreciate it. >> anderson, they -- well, see, i first started to run for governor i think in like around 2009 so they were like nine so since that time they've been around all this. but their friends come around and they're like "hi, mr. kasich." and they just blow in and out of the house. one of the neighbors came in
4:18 pm
tonight and tape recorded -- recorded this show. and i mean they're just like normal. we don't live an odd life. >> the neighbors just come into your house and tape record shows? >> yeah. >> she does, she says she's our third daughter. >> like my third daughter. >> all us manhattanites are like "what? you know your neighbors? what? that sounds nice." >> it's pretty normal. over the weekend, sunday, i watch golf, i didn't shave, i went to the gym, i shopped at kroger's. you know, i just do normal stuff. and around town it's normal and people treat me great. they just basically don't bother me about anything. >> clearly try to make it as normal for your kids and family. >> it just is. we don't even have to try. it is. right, girls? >> yeah. >> uh-huh. when you asked me what i thought, like what i said when he asked, i was kind of like -- like it's one of those things where it's like, oh, it wasn't out of the blue. >> it didn't surprise you given --
4:19 pm
>> like, oh, he's running again. >> that's what your dad does. >> are you still -- if i become president are you going to still live -- you're going to finish in ohio and i'll come back and forth, is that right? >> i don't know! [ laughter ] >> let's meet some of the voters here. i want you to meet rob gosland, he lives in new york city, he's leaning toward voting for donald trump but he has a question for mrs. kasich. >> okay. >> quick question, i've heard you've run many marathons. describe that and how that compares to your husband's race. >> well, i've run a few marathons, many is an exaggeration but thank you. i think that, again, you don't want to start out too fast, you want to start out slow and steady, you want to have a good pace about you and finish strong and i think that's exactly what john kasich is going to do. [ applause ] >> the big cliche about running for president is it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. does it feel like a marathon?
4:20 pm
i'm a wimp -- >> it feels like a marathon to me. it sure does. it's a long haul and a lot can happen amend it's not something you want to start running at the beginning. it takes a while to build up momentum and you want to do things right and you want to do things -- like john was saying earlier. you don't want to get attention for the wrong reasons so it takes a while to get your message throughout about what you've accomplished and done and your record. >> are you proud of how he's run the campaign compared to what else? >> i couldn't be prouder of john. i've always been proud of him but i'm super proud of the way he's run the campaign and i'm proud of the way people react to that. everywhere i travel people come up and say, you know, we're proud of the way your husband has behaved. >> i want you to meter is renty richardson. she's leaning towards senator cruz but she's undecided and she has a question for emma and reese. >> hi, guys. so most dads have a slightly weird or quirky side to them, especially around their kids.
4:21 pm
i want to ask you guys, does your dad have any quirks and if you had any stories along those lines? >> he just tries to tell jokes that he thinks are funny but -- [ laughter ] they're mostly just funny to us because they're dumb. [ laughter ] >> spoken like every 16-year-old child. >> and he also thinks he's a really good dancer. >> uh-oh! >> north south. >> that's exactly right. >> his move. >> north south, that's his move? >> well, you have to go north and south. you can't do this -- you have to go north south and -- >> wow. >> yeah, it's very -- i'm really, really good. >> just ask him, he'll tell you. >> don't you think i've gotten better, reese? >> yeah, but you're not going on "dancing with the stars." >> it's funny that -- i remember my dad used to sing loudly at church and it just mortified me. >> that's another thing he does!
4:22 pm
>> meet james thompson, an attorney from staten island, he's undecided. he has a question for the governor. welcome. >> governor, going through the life-changing experience of raising children will change any man's perspective. what have you learned from being a father that's translated to your approach in office? >> well, there have been two giant things that affected my life. maybe three. one is my parents were killed in 1987 by a drunk driver which forced me to search in many, many ways for who i am and my relationship to the big guy up here and whether i wanted to have one or even believed in it. that was a huge change. then marrying karen, she's strong and some -- here's the way, some people have a marriage like this and some have one like this. this is the best way to have a marriage so she's been fantastic and such a great supporter and tells it like it is but she's not engaged that much in politics, she doesn't tell me the whole heck of a lot.
4:23 pm
with the girls, i love all of them so much and that's where faith has to come in because they're now driving. [ laughter ] and it's every -- and reese had a boyfriend, emma has a boyfriend -- is that a boyfriend that you have -- i don't know. okay. [ laughter ] at some point you have to let them go, right? you have to let them lead their own lives and you have to have the faith that you did it the right way but frankly i have to tell you, my wife is far more important in terms of who they are and how they are than i am. but i like to think that, you know, as they get older they're going to realize that dad was a role model for the guy that at some point way down the road that they would marry. but it's spending time with them but also having the faith to let them lead their own lives and having the faith that whatever happens we'll deal with it. does that make sense to you? >> absolutely. >> okay.
4:24 pm
>> what was it like when they brought a boyfriend home for the first time? how was that? >> well, we have a trooper that sits in the car with a gun. [ laughter and applause ] they don't like this, they don't want me to frighten the guys that come in and so the other day the guy that emma knows, i was laying on the couch -- >> no! >> and he was like "hi, mr. kasich." and i just kind of looked. but it's fine. these are -- she screens them. >> okay. >> these are nice young men coming around. there's nobody getting close that isn't up to my standards. >> but it's funny, anderson because if a mom or dad pound on them too much i think you drive them the wrong way. so they have to make their own choices. i think the hardest thing is letting your kids make mistakes. that's just the hardest thing. but it's what we have to do. >> i want you to meet john burnett, an undecided voter, he said he's trying to decide between you, governor kasich, and senator cruz.
4:25 pm
>> governor kasich, you have a lovely family. but there's one thing that's clear -- you're the only man in the house. so with that said, did you have a man cave and if so what was in it? [ laughter ] >> well, we built our house and then we didn't finish the lower level because i didn't have the money to do it and then when i got out for ten years, one of the things i did was i was a public speaker so people said that's the level your mouth built and i have a little projector down there and it's pretty nice. [ laughter ] i like to watch sports. that's what i basically watch -- girl what is do i sfwhawatch. >> paladia. >> golf. >> i watch "the middle." so i don't have a place just for me but i have a little office that my wife decorates. but it's no big -- no big man cave where people are not
4:26 pm
invited. we also had some goldfish and those were not male, [ laughter ] >> noname was male. >> but noname didn't last long. >> this is colleen rappa, the mother of five sons including triplets, she says she's leaning in your favor. >> triplets! oh, many i goodness. did you get help? >> it's like a trip without a suitcase, i'll tell you that much. it's a pleasure to meet all of you. i have a son with autism and he has often been a target of bullying. so much so that i have now home schooled him. have you or anyone close to you had an experience with bullying in school, either directly or as a bystander and how did you deal with it? >> well, sweetie, you were just writing a recommendation, so why don't you tell the story? >> well, i just wrote a recommendation for a young lady who left the school that she was in and is attending another
4:27 pm
school because she was bullied for being too smart. and my way of helping her is writing a recommendation about what kind of smart things this young lady has done that makes her so much different than any other high school senior that i know and i will tell you that i when i see bullying, and i have seen it, i go right to the top of the school and say, look, what are we going to do about this? i don't always get the results i want, but i call it out when i see it. >> the other part of it is as i tell my daughters, you need to stand up against it. and i think, reese, there was occasion where you did, didn't you? and bullying is so horrible because what it does is it just so isolates a young child and can have such a negative impact on their lives. so i think it's -- i always tell young people when i talk to them, the couple things they need to do with school and what i think they need do to say their prayers but i also tell them do not let anybody be isolated and do not let anybody be bullied. so i think it's with the young
4:28 pm
people and, of course, it's with the higher-ups and i would never hesitate to call their school and i do and they -- i think that love when i call their -- yeah, right? >> one of the things we've seen is bullying -- when we were kids it took place in schools. now it's 24 hours a day on social media. so it's not just happening in the schools. do you monitor their social media? >> they have limited social media in the first place. but you know i follow their instagram or whatever it's called. [ laughter ] i follow them. but we have talks about it and we have talks about being on social media safely and who you talk to and who you don't and i think they're pretty protected. but i just feel bad for kids these days because it's 24/7 world and it never shuts off and i would haven't wanted to grow up like that. >> the thing is, if you talk to people who are counselors, our children have a lot of
4:29 pm
challenges and there are a lot of kids out there that are really hurting and if there's anything we need to do in life it's to protect our children so we've got to sort of stick our nose into other people's business. anderson, it's funny, i was with a -- i said all these people who are important, whether they're doctors or lawyers or whether they're nurses or -- and i say one of the most important people you can find in the school is the janitor or the lunch lady because those are the people that kids feel safe talking to and revealing their deepest darkest fears. this is a big, big deal and a big problem and we have to look out for our kids even when they are not our kids. they're all our kids, right? [ applause ] all of them. >> this is jim marin who works in ad sales he says he's voting for you, governor, welcome. >> thank you, governor kasich thank you for taking my question.
4:30 pm
earlier you referenced your faith and you're a former catholic and in your book "every other monday" you wrote that there will always be some part of you that considers yourself a catholic. which part? >> well, i think that -- look, i'm going to tell you now, i'm a fan of the pope. i like the pope and i'll tell you why, because the pope has spent more time talking about the dos in religion than the don'ts. when you talk about -- if you mentioned -- i'm going to talk to you about religion, we get thought bubbles we go uh-oh, this is about what i shouldn't do. and i believe religion is about what you should do not what you shouldn't do, it's humility, loving somebody that doesn't love you. there's so many things living a life bigger than yourself and those -- i don't find really that much difference between any of these faiths. they all preach about the same thing to me if you are about the dos it's attractive.
4:31 pm
it's like you're special, you were made special, you can change the world. the don'ts about don't do this or don't do that, that comes a heck of a lot later and that comes naturally wherever we decide we want to try to please, as like to call him from time to time, the big guy. and these girls, they actually go to christian school. it's normal, it's -- nothing extreme. they go there but they don't write on the walls, they respect their teachers, like what it was when you and i went to school and i don't shove anything down their throat because that's where you drive people away. my wife is become much more faithful, she's -- reads a lot and studies a lot. here's what i would say. the winds of life blow and sometimes they blow ugly stuff into our lives and sometimes good things. but i want to build a house on a rock-solid foundation so that when the winds come my house can still stand and that doesn't
4:32 pm
make it easy but you learn that in basically all the faiths so that's kind of the way i kind of think about things. >> thank you for your question. >> thank you. >> this is ronald ayala, a student at st. john's university in new york. he says he's leaning toward donald trump but he has a question both for emma and reese. ronald, welcome. >> great to be here tonight. thank you for taking my question. clearly this election cycle has been a very vicious one. how do you react when you see your father constantly being attacked in the media by negative ads and political pundits. >> well, i don't really watch much five. if i do it's netflix so there's not any ads or anything so i don't see any ads on tv. and i don't go looking for the negativity so i honestly don't really see it. >> i don't see it, either. >> you bhus get a sense of things or maybe kids in school -- i don't know if kids
4:33 pm
in school stay stuff. does it bother you or do you really try to keep it away. >> i really don't see it. people at our school, serve really chill so they don't bring it up. >> how about you, emma? >> same as reese. >> do you worry about your kids hearing what's going on in the campaign trail or once you're in the house you try to keep it out of the house. >> we try to keep it out of the house but i'm not naive enough to think they'll hear things when they're out and about. we talk openly about what's going on and why people would say thing what is they would say and we know what the truth is. so i'm pretty comfortable. i don't really spend a lot of time worrying about that. >> i know my dad better than anyone media does. so even if i saw something, i wouldn't believe it. he's my dad. >> what do you want people to know about him?
4:34 pm
you talk about knowing him better than anybody. >> he's just really godly and really, really fun and sometimes a little silly. he's really loving. he's always checking up on us. he's an honest man. i think that. >> that's nice. >> and he cares about everyone. >> would you want to go into politics at all based on what you've seen with your dad? >> no. >> no. [ laughter ] >> how about you, reese? >> i want to make some money first. [ laughter ] [ applause ] >> can i say one thing? emma, what is one of the things we like to do together, emma, what do we like to watch? >> basketball. >> we watch all the sports. emma's a great runner and she and her relay team finished fourth in the state last year.
4:35 pm
[ applause ] reese was just selected as one of the leaders in the school. but when reese texted me and said she was selected i texted her back and said i'm more proud of the fact that you put yourself out there than you got picked. and i love you guys, you know that. [ applause ] we're going to take a quick short break. we'll be back with the entire kasich family right after this. [ applause ] t-mobile does data differently. so it can do more for your business. when work takes you across the globe, your unlimited data travels with you to 140 plus countries and destinations at no extra charge. and that's not all. because with t-mobile there's no overages. ever. switch your business to t-mobile at work. and get four lines. with 10gb of 4g lte data each for just $35 per line. nobody does business data like t-mobile. i've heard it all.
4:36 pm
eat more fiber. flax seeds. yogurt. get moving. keep moving. i know! try laxatives. been there, done that. my chronic constipation keeps coming back. i know. tell me something i don't know. vo: linzess works differently from laxatives. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation or chronic constipation. it can help relieve your belly pain, and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements that are easier to pass. do not give linzess to children under six and it should not be given to children six to seventeen. it may harm them. don't take linzess if you have a bowel blockage. get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea sometimes severe. if it's severe stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas, stomach-area pain and swelling. talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms proactively with linzess.
4:37 pm
4:38 pm
[ applause [ applause ]
4:39 pm
back now with more questions for governor kasich. his wife karen and daughters emma and reese. governor kasich, it was announced you're giving a speech tomorrow that's entitled "two paths. reques " what are the two paths? >> i hope people will see it. the first is feeding on people's fears and driving them into a ditch, separating us and telling people that we as americans are now failures, our country is a failure. and it just creates more anger. it's exploiting people's -- their anxiety. the other way is to tell them, hey, we do have problems but they can be fixed and let's look up and pull together. i mean, we hear so much negativity, we're losers, we're terrible, let's go out and surveil neighborhoods, let's been people from coming in the country based on religion. that's not our country. our country is one where we get together, we hang together, we work together realizing that things -- there's challenges but they can be fixed. and it's going to be -- i think it's pretty hard-hitting and i think people will pay attention to it and i think they will --
4:40 pm
it will resonate with them. >> it's pretty clear who you're talking thereabout -- >> i'm talking about both of them. >> do you want to name them? do you name them or -- >> no, i'm not going to use names. but when you say to somebody "we're going to surveil your neighborhood because you're a muslim." if you want to find out what's going on in the neighborhood, who do you think you would ask? if i ask you, anderson, you won't know, if i want to know what's going on in a mosque or if i say we're going to have a religious test and if you're muslim and you can't come in, how do we expect them to work with us worldwide? it's not just that, it's whimsical solutions. it's -- but it's basically telling people that things are so bad, it runs our country down, it depresses people and i'm not for doing that and i'm going to lay this out along with solutions. so it will be interesting. >> and it's the united states of america not the divided. >> that's good, reese. i like that. >> me, too!
4:41 pm
that's why i said it. >> i want you to meet chris authier, he says he's completely undecided for the first time in this election. >> most of us don't understand or choose our political affiliation until college or after. i was wondering when you decided you were a republican, if you remember when, and why. >> i was always kind of conservative. my mother was conservative. my dad was a democrat all of his life. my mother was a democrat and became a republican later in life. i don't like anything big -- big government, big business or big labor. and i felt that -- i want government as a last resort not a first resort and i've always felt that the republican party was closer to that than the democratic party was. that they are kind of like, you know, government bureaucracy, these will fix things. i've always been a person to think i'd like to kind of do it on my own and so that's kind of why i became a republican.
4:42 pm
>> i want you to meet -- this is roger sacker, an attorney who says he was supporting senator marco rubio, he's undecided and he has a question for you mrs. kasich. >> mrs. kasich, first ladies often use their position to advocate for certain charitable work. what positions would you advocate for as first lady? >> well, i can tell you what i've done in ohio and that is i've advocated for things that help our young people because i believe our young people are our most precious natural resource and we need to grow them and support them. so it's been things like fitness and wellness. it's been afterschool programs for kids in at risk neighborhoods. it's been the anti-human trafficking efforts because that's been a big problem. i never realized that until i became first lady that human trafficking is such a problem in this country and in our own state. so anything that helps youth and young people. >> early on in the campaign, in your first interview, you talked about kind of -- i can't remember the exact term, you were saying you weren't a traditional political wife, you
4:43 pm
talked about not having the nancy reagan gaze. how do you see yourself as first lady? are there first ladies you would like to emulate that you look at as models? >> i see myself -- i'm kind of doing it my way and i am trying to make a difference where i can. i'm not trying to start new programs, i'm trying to lend my name and celebrity, if you will, to programings that exist and that are doing great things in our communities around ohio. so i see myself as a mom first and first lady second. >> this is jim moriarty, a retiree who says he's still undecided. he has a question for emma and reese. >> hi, girls, welcome to new york. i'd like to ask you if you could tell us what does your father like to do in his free time for fun when he's not working and what do you -- all of you -- like that do as a family? >> he usually plays golf and he goes to church on sunday because
4:44 pm
he's usually home on sunday so we eat family dinner together. sometimes we'll watch "60 minutes," he'll make us come down stairs. >> how about new york, emma? how about when we come to new york? >> that's fun, too. he brings reese. >> he takes us on each a trip every year and we get to choose where we can go for the weekend. >> where do you like to go? >> i like to come to new york. she went to chicago. >> the first time, then new york. >> yeah. and i've just gone to new york twice. >> tell them what you did in chicago, emma, where you went. remember when you went out? >> we went to a chicago bulls game and we met scottie pippin, but i didn't know who it was at first. [ laughter ] >> we went down on the court, it was fun and then we went up in the suite and scottie pippin came in and all these people gathered around scottie pippin and emma is sitting with a football player from the chicago bears who i think scored a touchdown the next sunday but all these people around pippin,
4:45 pm
i said "emma, that was scottie pippin!" she's like "who's that, dad?" but she came to new york the last time because i think new york will be the center of -- because we love new york values. [ laughter ] [ applause ] >> this is denice ward, an attorney from new rochelle who says she's leaning toward voting for you, governor, she has a question for mrs. kasich. >> good evening, governor kasich, mrs. kasich and reese and emma. thank you for taking my question. mrs. kasich, i've heard governor kasich mention a number of times that respect is the key element in problem solving. does he incorporate this in his home life? and is this something that comes naturally to him or is it something he has to work at doing? >> well, i'm a pretty strong person and i wouldn't be with a man who didn't show me respect and show my daughters respect. so that's just the way he behaves. i don't see him working at respecting us, i see him living
4:46 pm
that by the way he treats us and the way our family operates together. i think that he's a wonderful role model for emma and reese. we were talking earlier about the boys starting to come around and i would like them to look for a young man who's like daddy. i mean, i think he has the values and one of those values is respecting women. >> but you know i also want to say look, i'm not that great. okay? honestly, i'm doing the best i can but -- >> well, you're pretty good at respecting us. >> i surrendered to you long ago. [ laughter ] >> that's a smart man. >> but here's the thing. if you think about some of the people we've had come to our house or people who have been friends of ours, we don't care whether they're republican or democrat, we've had a number of democrats that we -- >> you respect their values, their views. >> right. and it's very interesting to appreciate people for who they are. and when i say respect, that means that even if i don't agree with you, you know, i've got to respect your position unless
4:47 pm
you're a crook or a bum or something. i'm going to respect you. and guess what? over time we'll find something that we can do together. and that's what's missing in washington today. it's a lack of respect for people who don't think the way that you think. and that's what's killing us down there. and it doesn't make any sense because if you can respect somebody, it's amazing how you'll be in a position where you can accomplish things. and that's why you're in this stuff, right? i think. >> there's some who believe compromise is a dirty word, you have core values and you have to stick to those and no compromise at all. >> well, that's just ridiculous. where in life do we not compromise. you don't to compromise your principle, but my way or the highway doesn't work. and these issues are very complicated. very, very complicated so you have to listen to what other people say. it doesn't mean you have to go along. look, i ran the budget committee, that's one of the toughest committees in congress. if you talk to most of the people that served on the committee, particularly democrats, they'll say, you know, he treated us fairly.
4:48 pm
i'm not going to change all my positions, but, you know, of course you have to do a little bit of compromise. you can say you're never going to compromise and then the country will continue to drift. anderson, that's the way it works. so you know when you get to the point where you say sorry, i just can't do that, i just can't go there. but let's look at something else. and when you develop the respect, you can have breakthroughs. that's the way it works. >> i want you to meet gregory smith, a teacher from yorktown, new york, he says he's leaning towards supporting you. gregory? >> good evening. as a moderate republican, i find it very, very difficult to reconcile my social liberalism with my fiscal conservatism often and i feel as if the republican party is also becoming polarized in that fashion and as the years go on it's just going to get worse. so governor kasich, if you are blessed to have grandchildren one day, how do you envision the evolution of the republican party as it relates to those values and, finally, what are the fundamental values that you
4:49 pm
believe that republican families should never waver on? >> hmm. well, i'd have to really give that a lot of thought. that's just -- those are really tough questions. what is it we should never waver on? truth. don't do drugs. be humble. show respect. i mean, i think that family is so critical. family matters. families look different today than they used to look when i was just a young boy, but that's okay. we have to support our families. i think that's really important. you know, i guess those would be some of the things that -- what do i try to teach my kids? okay, you're not going to be perfect, be as good as you can be, be as honest -- be honest, keep our family together, love your sister, love each other because that's what you'll have at the end of the day. respect -- i respect my wife, i respect women. i mean, these are things that are really important. i'm not sure where you're going
4:50 pm
with this, though. >> i think the question is -- i think it's kind of hinting at with grandchildren idea is where do you see the gop? but if you have grandchildren, where do you -- are you concerned about where the gop will be at that time given the path it's on? is that aboutwell, let me kind this way. the republican party should be a party of ideas and ideas to create energy and innovation to lift everybody. what we should try to do is to stress those kinds of things. and when it gets to the social issues, look, i'm not going to change my position on some of the social issues, but there's ways also to carry myself in a way that i can respect somebody that doesn't agree with me. okay? and the party is always most comfortable being against. the republican party has never been a party that's always been so excited about new ideas. it's most comfortable being against. when you are a party that's against, you will fail because it is ideas that drive change.
4:51 pm
anderson and i did a little hit last week. i was in teddy roosevelt's house at sagamor hill, teddy roosevelt shook everything from top to bottom. he breathed new life into the united states. and that's exactly the way i think the party ought to be. we're always going to have some arguments about the social issues, but the most important thing for us to do is to create a job opportunity society for ourselves. and when it comes to the social issues, we'll get to argue more about those once the economy's strong, let's figure the economy and then we'll get to the social issues. >> when you heard senator cruz on the campaign trail kind of mock the idea of new york values, what did you think? >> i don't have a clue what he was talking about. i love new york. i mean, when you come to new york -- i mean, you heard it when i was coming in here. you feel younger, you're more alive, it's happening so much. everything is like, this is the heartbeat of the world, not just
4:52 pm
the heartbeat of america. this is like the great -- isn't it, sweetie? >> yeah. >> it's so fantastic. >> i love new york. >> i love new york, you know? >> you just got a prom dress here. >> that's right. >> i didn't understand that. and i bring my daughters here. when we come, we have nice food, we go see a show. everybody's raving about everybody's raving about "hamilton" now, you know, this is a great, great place. and it's great to visit, right? >> we loved it. >> and there's so much more -- you never do enough. i've never been to ellis island. can you imagine that? i can't wait to go to -- >> yeah, we were going to do that. >> we just couldn't do it. i didn't understand that, there's another issue going on. let's talk about the elephant in the room. this is business of about -- i'm a traditional marriage guy. i believe a man and a woman. but i went home one day, i said sweetie, we've been invited to a gay wedding, this was after the
4:53 pm
court. she said, i'm going, i don't know if you are or not. and we went. and look, here's the thing. we may disagree with something about people's lifestyles and all those kinds of things. we may disagree, but you know what, let's try to understand each other a little bit. what are we going to do, write a law? i read about this thing they did in mississippi where apparently you can deny somebody service because they're gay. what the hell are we doing in this country? i mean, look, i may not appreciate a certain lifestyle or even approve of it, but that doesn't mean i've got to go write a law and try to figure out how to have another wedge issue. because one of the things that is happening on this issue itself is that there are politicians that are using it to get publicity which ultimately divides us. we had a supreme court ruling, and you know what, let's move on. let's move on from where we are. i don't know what they're talking about. >> so the argument that's made
4:54 pm
in mississippi, north carolina, that this is about religious freedom, you don't necessarily buy that. it's a private business. >> here's what i would tell you. i think if you're a photographer, okay, and you are deep christian and you object to going to a gay wedding, okay, so somebody comes in, and they say, okay, we want you to be our photographer, photographer says, you know, i'd not be comfortable doing that. if i were trying to arrange a gay wedding, i might go down the street to another photographer. why do i need to raise all this cain about this? and, frankly, if i'm selling cupcakes, why don't i just sell a cupcake? if that's what i do in commerce. it gets to be a tricky thing about how much you involve somebody against a deeply held belief. most of the time, i think we can accommodate one another, don't you? sweetie, we can accommodate one another even when we can have profound differences. >> i want you to meet david
4:55 pm
greco. he owns mike's deli in the bronx. you visited just last week. and i want to show for our viewers just a couple of pictures of what looks like you eating the most enormous pizza in the entire world. i don't know how much of that you actually ate. >> a lot. >> have you eaten since then? >> he ate like a new yorker, vi i have to tell you that. >> there was pasta. >> he likes to eat, don't make fun of him. >> i wish i was there. >> you know, you wouldn't give me the pasta. you were holding out on me. then the guy behind the counter tried to take it. >> i had a sub. >> they're not subs. they're heroes. >> heroes. i forgot that. but here's the good thing, to make up for what i did in that pizza place in queens, i ate the pasta with my hands. >> david's got a question for mrs. kasich.
4:56 pm
>> we talked to our familymen and i was fortunate enough to feed you and see that he has an appeti appetite. we talked how lucky we are with our wives and our children, and i asked the family and you. to me, i come home and my family, we break bread every night. that's where we get together and talk. what are the classic kasich meals? is it the sunday meal important, is it the holiday meal? what's important? >> are you looking to cer this? >> i wanted to hear what they do at home. >> well, i'm not italian, but john's a big fan of my homemade sauce so pasta and sauce is a big family favorite. >> do you put meat in it? >> sometimes meatballs. >> because if there's meat in it, it's gravy. >> i didn't know that. is that an italian thing? >> no. it's a real thing. >> all right. so sometimes it's gravy, sometimes it's sauce. but it's always popular. homemade mac and cheese, i do a lot of veal dishes, anything on the grill. i'm the grill master in the family.
4:57 pm
>> governor, can you cook at all? >> no. >> i should have asked emma and reese. they're saying absolutely not. >> mealtime when john is home is important to us because that's the time when we get to sit together. >> what i feel is we live in new york, and we're spoiled. in ohio, spaghetti and chili we don't eat in new york. but do you eat fast food? or are you cooking meals? you look super fit, he mentioned how lucky he was. we got to see that tonight. how do you eat? >> we sometimes do some fast food when john's out of town and we have sports and like that. but i don't come home with bags from three different places and say dinner is served. i didn't grow up that way. >> thanks for your questions. looks like fun at the deli. i want to thank all of you for being with us. this is the first time we've done this and it was really great to meet you all. >> thank you. >> thanks also to the voters who took the time to be here, bring such interesting questions. tomorrow night donald trump and his family, ted cruz the next
4:58 pm
night. until then, thanks for watching.
4:59 pm
the largest variety of lobster dishes of the year... ...like lobster lover's dream... and new dueling lobster tails. this party can't last so hurry in. this is my retirement. retiring retired tires. and i never get tired of it. are you entirely prepared to retire? plan your never tiring retiring retired tires retirement with e*trade. p(vo) on the trane test range,g you learn what makes our heating and cooling systems so reliable. if there's a breaking point, we'll find it. it's hard to stop a trane. really hard. trane. the most reliable for a reason.
5:00 pm
i am a first responder tor and i'emergencies 24 hours a day, everyday of the year. my children and my family are on my mind when i'm working all the time. my neighbors are here, my friends and family live here, so it's important for me to respond as quickly as possible and get the power back on. it's an amazing feeling turning those lights back on. be informed about outages in your area. sign up for outage alerts at pge.com/outagealerts. together, we're building a better california.

74 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on