Skip to main content

tv   Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer  CNN  April 19, 2016 2:00pm-4:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
some of us may think cicadas are annoying or creepy, perhaps. some of us have private theorys they're actually aliens. but in some parts of the world they're considered to be good luck. follow me on facebook and twitter. i'm jake tapper. i'll be back at 8:00 p.m. turning you over to wolf blitzer and anderson cooper in "the situation room." >> happening now, playing the trump card, looking for all 95 delegates that his home state has to offer. can donald trump end his slump with a big win tonight? >> dueling democrats bernie sanders and hillary clinton locked in a battle and a race few expected to be so close. each says they've got the better path to the white house. new york's 247 delegates can make a big difference getting there. >> voter views an breaking news. our first exit polling. moments we'll show you the data and what it might tell us about how the night's shaping up. >> i'm anderson cooper.
2:01 pm
>> i'm wolf blitzer. you're in "the situation room." for the first time in a long time, presidential politics, new york really matters, in just a few hours we're going to learn exactly how. in a few minutes, we will learn what voters are telling our exit pollsters and what early signs they should be looking for that could signal who comes out on top, bringing it to all of you. team of correspondents across the electoral landscape as well as best political minds in the business. jim acroostaacosta, trump expeco well in new york. how confident is his campaign now? >> reporter: they're very confident. they want a landslide in new york to reset the narrative of the campaign. i talked to a top official inside donald trump's delegate operation who said, yes, it is possible they will beat this 50% threshold they need in new
2:02 pm
york's congressional districts and statewide to pick up the state's 95 delegates. trump himself all but predicted he will top 50% in buffalo. when enknow neated ted cruz did not beat that 50% in his home state. he noted the exact percentage cruz wouldn't in texas, 43.8%. they want to beat that number badly. >> although they may be doing well in new york city, he may not be as strong upstate where his opponents are hoping to run up the numbers tonight. what are you hearing about that? >> right. that's why donald trump made it a point of spending his last night before the new york primary in your hometown of buffalo, wolf. i talked to a top trump campaign official who said if they don't get all of the 95 delegates they don't see it as a setback for the campaign. i'm told by the campaign they believe have exited the stage of the race that favored ted cruz,
2:03 pm
where caucuses and state conventions were key and entered the final stage of this campaign for the republican nomination, which by the way, puts trump in favorable territory, specially here in the northeast. yes, john kasich, ted cruz, they could peel away a couple of delegates. at the end of the day in the new york primary but they don't see that as a disaster by any stretch inside the trump campaign. >> optimistic night they have potentially in store. let's go to hillary clinton right now who voted earlier this morning, along with a former president near their suburban new york home, declining other voters' invitation to jump the line and reflecting what has been a hard fought campaign. >> i had a great time going around the city in the last couple of days, seeing old friends, meeting new people and i urge everybody, please come out and vote before 9:00 p.m. tonight. that would be terrific. >> from there, secretary clinton traveled to washington for a conference but will be back in new york tonight.
2:04 pm
she hopes for a victory celebration. brie an fla keanna keilar. hoping to cement the front-runner status. how is her campaign feeling? >> reporter: they are feeling very good about tonight. they're not trying to manage expectations. hearing top aides say publicly they believe she's going to be victorious. you have her certainly what she's hoping to be the victory party tonight here in new york. we heard the campaign manager for hillary clinton saying yesterday, really something that i think we'll be hearing a lot of tonight, if hillary clinton is to win, certainly by a considerable margin, he said that he thinks with this contest the platte of this primary becomes overwhelming. he said, bernie sanders will have a steep and close to impossible path to the nomination. it's very clear she's going to try to pivot to the general
2:05 pm
election. her campaign has been painting the sanders campaign as desperate, painting his candidacy as a potential spoiler. hearing supporters for hillary clinton evoke the specter of ralph nader and specifically taking aim at bernie sanders for alleging that hillary clinton's fund-raising arrangement with and the dnc, a joint fund-raising committee is not above board. the clinton campaign says that it is. they've been questioning the sanders campaign has been the legality of it. it does appear it is legal, if sort of par for the course in this era of big money and politics that many find unsav unsavory. the clinton campaign thinks sanders is leading astray younger liberals to believe the democratic party is corrupt. you're seeing this fear. you've heard donald trump, sort of unveiled the nickname for hillary clinton, crooked hillary, you're seeing a fear coming from the clinton campaign that that is something that with
2:06 pm
bernie sanders leveling this argument could take hold in the primary, and this is something they'd fight in an expected matchup with donald trump. >> bernie sanders, who grew up in brooklyn, campaigned heavily across the city and the state, looking ahead. he'll be holding a rally on the campus of penn state university, which is where we find jeff zele zeleny. more delegates at stake in new york than any other contest. what does the sanders campaign hope to prove? >> reporter: 240 delegates to be exact here. what the sanders campaign hopes to prove is continuing that momentum. they've had seven straight wins in all of those states across the west and into wisconsin, the most recent one. he hope to continue that momentum in new york. trying to prove to show democrats they can continue to take on hillary clinton, show the clinton campaign democrats want something more, a progressive race here. two things that they want to show them tonight.
2:07 pm
>> if clinton does win, by a slim enough margin, that could be considered a potential win for bernie sanders, correct? >> reporter: it could be considered a moral victory for bernie sanders, wolf, no doubt about that. if the race is close, within a few points, even single digits, yes, that's a moral victory. we're getting late in the calendar for moral victories. sanders campaign needs a math math cal victory. he'll be having a rally at penn state university. he needs big wins on the board. if it doesn't happen in new york, he's looking ahead to pennsylvania next weex. >> thanks very much. >> wolf, thanks very much. whatever happens tonight in either primary, probably not going to come as a total surprise. all kind of signs to look for. john king knows where to find them. let's take a look at the democrats. >> first, what do we look for?
2:08 pm
we want to look at turnout, we don't have results yet. polls are open until 9 can. in the city itself, you know it very well, can bernie sanders turn out enough liberal voters to offset hillary clinton's advantage among african-americans and latinos? can hillary clinton deliver in a minority community. she's run three times before, on the ballot in 2008, a state where she got a big win over then-senator obama. can hillary clinton do this tonight? that's what she's looking for. can she do it with a number like this, because of the democratic proportional rules. she wants to be closer to 60% to get more delegates. if she wins 55, 45, she'll split the delegates. can bernie sanders make inroads in the city? can bernie sanders with his trade message saying clinton is inauthenticing can you make progress in the states where you have manufacturing in the past critical for bernie sanders,
2:09 pm
fighting for new york today but fighting for the delegate math in the race going forward the clinton campaign is saying if she gets a big delegate win, the race is essentially over. does the math show that true. >> not by the actual arithmetic but by the arc of the race, maybe. she's at 229 in her delegate advantage. say she has ten-point win, wins enough of the delegates to get ten-point win, splits 247, if she splits it something like that, she adds 25. 25-net gain out of new york would not only allow her to say bernie sanders, momentum, not only to say his momentum is stopped i won a big contest, look at demographics if she gets that turnout, if she competes in white areas where the manufacturing jobs have been lost, hillary clinton will look further ahead to the map here where we go next week, pennsylvania, maryland,
2:10 pm
delaware, rhode island, thinking most of the states if she gets the demographic mix in new york, if that happens hillary clinton is hoping next tuesday looking at a map like this and her lead starts to stretch out closer to 300 from the 229 now out to the 300. by end of april she wants to say senator sanders, it's impossible. >> more to watch. i want to bring the pan until after the break. what republicans have to say about the choice they made. (bear growls)
2:11 pm
(burke) smash and grub. seen it. covered it. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
2:12 pm
so you don't have to stop., tylenol® 8hr arthritis pain has two layers of pain relief. the first is fast. the second lasts all day. we give you your day back. what you do with it is up to you. tylenol®.
2:13 pm
2:14 pm
[so i use quickbooks and run mye entire business from the cloud. i keep an eye on sales and expenses from anywhere. even down here in the dark i can still see we're having a great month. and celebrate accordingly. i run on quickbooks.that's how i own it.
2:15 pm
breaking news coming into "the situation room." first signs how new yorkers are voting. first batch of exit poll data. mark preston has been going through the numbers for us. >> we certainly talked a lot about anger in politics certainly this election year. let's take a look at numbers here, what they're specifically looking for when it comes to what they're looking for in a president. right now, experience in politics, only 32% of voters now want experience in politics from their nominee. however, look at that, 64% want somebody from outside of the establishment, that certainly has played well for donald trump, as well as texas senator ted cruz, not well for john kasich, ohio governor. but the nastiness of the race, though, is not being embraced by republican voters. take a look at these numbers now. republican campaign has mostly divide the party, 57% of
2:16 pm
republicans now are saying that this primary has been very divisive. only 39% believe that it has energized the party. >> we'll be getting more coming in shortly. anderson. >> thanks. a lot to talk about as more exit polling comes in and we learn about the shape the electorate today. bill preston, bakari sellers, sanders and clinton supporters, respectively. john king, gloria borger kayleigh mcanainny, mary katharine ham, and donna brazile. clearly, just little exit polls we've been seeing results does play well for donald trump. the idea of somebody outside the establishment. >> sure. that's what we've been seeing. >> time and time again. >> seeing time and time again in the exit polls. what's interesting what we're seeing in early exit polls is that these seem to be less
2:17 pm
conservative and less angry republicans as well. we saw angry republicans more so in the south in the early polling now less conservative in the state of new york, as you might also think. one other thing's interesting to me, we look at these early numbers, just like in the state of wisconsin, about 3/4 of the people here believe that if you're really ahead, heading into the convention, you probably ought to get the nomination. some we'll be talking about a lot, i think, in the weeks ahead. >> in sports, play on your home field. the fact that when you get that home-field advantage, when it happens, matters, too and it happens at this point of the campaign is advantageous for donald trump and perhaps hillary clinton in the sense that bernie sanders has momentum. nor donald trump, the only republican with a feasible chance, it's a steep hill, to get to 1,237, 95 delegates at stake, if he can take 80 or more of the delegates it lowers his
2:18 pm
hods. this is a giant test for donald trump. one state where, a, it's his state, he knows the city well, but has a team that understands statewide politics better. past states, the ground game wasn't up to par. their team knows new york, if they can deliver at congressional district level, get above 80, donald trump has some winning. >> for hillary clinton, a victory would be welcome, given the success that bernie sanders has had of late and the latest polling on a national basis shows them very close, if not statistically tied. >> tonight we'll see what many have been saying for the past few weeks, the race in the democratic party hasn't been as much momentum as it has been demographics. you'll see the number of hispanic voters, african-american voters, that is where hillary clinton does extremely well. if she's able to do extremely well tonight that bodes well
2:19 pm
going forward into maryland, pennsylvania, other states coming down the pipeline. unand thank bernie sanders has to do, he's not been able to do this campaign, expand his base. when we had this discussion about the burning momentum from iowa and new hampshire he's not been able to expand his base. he has to start to expand his base tonight. if he doesn't, the fat lady will be warming up. >> bill, any evidence -- >> the fat lady better stay backstage a while. there's a long way to go. 1675 pledged delegates to go in the states to come. look, we talked about this last night. new york is hillary territory. i think we can expect hillary's going to do well, probably win new york. it's the margin that counts. i woulday that with everything she's got going for her, entire establishment, the fact it's her home state, she ran there and won twice as senator, beat barack obama by 17 points, it's a closed primary, right, if she doesn't win by at least ten
2:20 pm
points, anything in single digits for bernie sanders, i believe, is a win and embarrassment for hillary clinton. >> what are you expecting tonight? >> i think what john said is important. we need to see donald trump get above 50% statewide, above 50% in congressional districts. he needs to get the will of the people on his side, he needs to win commandingly. he needs something like 494 right now to bring it down by 80 delegates would be very good for his chances. and really i expect him to do -- to soar in new york, do exceedingly well. when people get to vote, donald trump wins. when the state party apparatus get tos decide, ted cruz wins. tonight, people of new york get to speak and i expect donald trump to win. >> amanda, what are you looking for? ted cruz, your old boss, focused on other states, trying to pick up delegates where he can. >> this will be the best night that donald trump has before the question. the question for me, how does he use it? are we going to hear more
2:21 pm
divisiveness, more accusations of the party being rigged, dirty tricks, surrogates conducting bribe bribery. does he continue to pick fight or finally campaign on some kind of issue? he hasn't done it yet. if he dioesn't do it tonight, h never will. >> i think clinton and trump are winners with worries but it's going to be a good night for both of them. the clinton campaign is being over the top positive and the trump campaign is saying, we'll lose some delegates here and there. that is interesting name of the game for the republican primary is out hustling for delegates which we have seen ted cruz do. it will remain the name of the game. the fact they anticipate on home turf losing a couple bought of the outhustling to other guys is important. >> donna. >> on the democratic side, we started off like fred and ethyl,
2:22 pm
everybody dancing, everybody happy. and the race has gone on and on. what i'm looking for, enthusiasm, passion, turnout, of course those congressional districts in and around new york city will matter more than the upstate because of the way we weigh proportionality. i'm looking to see that the democrats are going to enjoy this next couple of weeks, the ride will get more bumpy and fred and ethyl will -- >> are they from "i love lucy"? didn't they argue a lot? were they always having fun and dancing? i thought they were always fighting. sorry. >> what show is this again? z>> over all, for both, for trup and for hillary clinton, there's opportunity here to totally reset the narrative for their campaign. trump has had a terrible time after wisconsin.
2:23 pm
some of it he did to himself, some of it losing in the state of wisconsin badly, and hillary clinton has lost 7 out of the last 8 contests. >> has it been successful. you said donald trump had a bad run. but refocusing attention on that bad run complaining about the delegates, the way the system works and some of the past days. >> but it's worked for him. he's got republicans fighting with each other in the rnc, he's got people saying overwhelmingly if you're ahead going into the convention, you ought to win. actually, all of his complaining and whining worked. >> so has the break. ted cruz had momentum coming oust wisconsin where he ran a good campaign, had the help of scott walker, everybody republican in wisconsin went against trump and for cruz. then you had his break. cruz ahead by almost double digits to weeks ago in indiana,
2:24 pm
now it's single digit, almost dead heat tie. the space has helped trump. >> i would say, picking fights does help trump but it doesn't help anyone else down ticket. so if you're just a republican sitting in the senate or the house, you're saying, what is donald trump going to do for me? i want to simplify the tax code, make the country more secure. donald trump is not focused any time on that since the wisconsin. little time throughout the campaign. until he learns how to talk about those issues, he's avoided won on one with ted cruz because he doesn't know how. he can only win if chaos continues. nearly 3/4 of the new york electorate in the exit polls say that they think whoever has the most delegates going in should be the nominee. we see this in in wisconsin, national polls. for donald trump, it's getting the people's voice back. >> those sitting united states
2:25 pm
senators, congressmen, they have a problem. they want voters. one thing that donald trump has done well is win. he's winning voters. >> we've got to take a quick break. more ahead with the panel. we're only on for nine hours tonight. hear from both trump and kasich campaigns. ♪ there it is... this is where i met your grandpa. right under this tree. ♪ (man) some things are worth holding onto. they're hugging the tree. (man) that's why we got a subaru. or was it that tree? (man) the twenty-sixteen subaru outback. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. he number one network in america. i know what you're thiining, they all claim stuff like that. yeah, but some of them are stretching
2:26 pm
the truth a little bit. one claimed to be four times better. we said, four times better than who? they said, four times better than we used to be. wh-wh-wha? if you're four times better than you used to be and you're still not the best, your tagline should be, "not as rubbish as we were." (sighs) only verizon is the nation's most awarded wireless network ever. now get 20 gigs on 4 lines for $80 when you switch to the best network.
2:27 pm
in the country have in common? many of them now call cancer treatment centers of america home. expert medicine works here. find out why at cancer center.com. cancer treatment centers of america.
2:28 pm
2:29 pm
after he voted in new york this morning donald trump say he thinks he'll do well in the primary but didn't make big predictions. in order to get all 95 delegates he has to get more than 50% of
2:30 pm
vote throughout the state and in each of the 27 congressional districts. trump said his campaign's reorganization is going great, smoothly, he said, he has consistently complained the nominating process is rigged. a top campaign aide quit. veteran strategists brought in to take on bigger roles as the primary season marches on. michael cone, special counsel to donald trump. >> how are you? >> what are your expectations for tonight? can donald trump win big enough in new york to get most if not, all of the delegates? >> talking about donald trump's hometown, this is his backyard, he's very much loved here in new york. his name adorns both skylines, west side, east side. he's been campaigning very hard here in new york. i suspect she's going to have a very good night. >> a senior adviser for your
2:31 pm
campaign, former apprentice contestant accused ted cruz of stealing, lying and bribing people to become delegates. listen to this -- >> delegates stealing, lying, bribing people to become delegates. this is the corruptness, the rigged system that mr. trump talks about, i've seen it in action here in iowa. i have seen shady behavior, let's call it that. and until we get the specifics of what actually transpired in the shady behavior that i've witnessed with my eyes, then i'll come back on your show and tell you more about that. >> michael, any specifics on this charge, what -- >> first i don't know what she is referring to that's personal to her. what i can says, this notion that it's okay to meet with delegates when this process is going on to wine them, dine
2:32 pm
them, fly them to places to peel them away from the person who had the popular vote, it seems wrong, i think it seems wrong to all viewers out there and everybody's saying donald trump is whining and complaining. no, he's not. donald trump is winning. he's boating ted cruz by over 200 delegates. after tonight, closer to 300. mathematically that would put cruz out of the race. ra kasich has been out of the race for a while. donald trump is doing fine. >> as you know, there are reports of change within the campaign structure, national field director, stewart jolly resigned, seeing reports corey lewandowski, campaign manager's role, reduced to scheduling, assisting mr. trump. is all of that true? does he have a reduced role now? >> i don't know the answer, i'm not part of the campaign. mr. trump, being the huber
2:33 pm
billionaire, businessman moog that he is, you need to improvise, adapt to different situations. right now there is an attempt by the cruz camp and others to deprive mr. trump of what the people want, for him to be the nominee for the republican party. he brought in additional party. it's no different than on a construction site. if in fact you need more people to build faster, so you come in ahead of time or under budget, that's what mr. trump does. he improvises and he's incredibly successful and astute at doing things like this. >> michael cohen, thanks for joining us. john kasich who ran second in the new york polls tonight, he's in analyst, maryland, holding a town hall, gets under way 30 minutes. joining us, trent duffy. thanks for joining us. what are kasich's expectations for new york? maryland is a week from today.
2:34 pm
what about new york? >> trump's going to have a good day in new york but we done think a great day. john kasich has been campaigning hard in a lot of the congressional districts, as you know, they award their delegates based on who comes in first and second. we're looking for victories in albany, rochester, ithaca, elsewhere in the city. we think that's the strategy going forward. get delegates where we can, move on. >> if he gets 50% plus 1, statewide, 14 delegates but 27 congressional districts. how many of those do you think you might win? >> looking at three, four, probably more. >> but not 15%. >> no. >> if you get under 15%, you get two, somebody would get one? >> precisely. >> bottom line, how many delegates. >> we're not going to have a number but homing to continue to get more delegates and confident that we're going to do than we're going to move on. we're polling second in maryland, as you mentioned, that's why the governor's there, and polling well in connecticut, rhode island, elsewhere. that's the strategy. one thing that's going to happen
2:35 pm
tonight, cruz is not going to be able to secure 1,237 delegates for the nomination. >> kasich hasn't been able to do that for a while, either. both of you, what you're saying, going to have to hope trump doesn't get it on the first round. >> that's right. that's part of the strategy. heing forward, we're confident we can do that. we want more help from the never trump movement, which was silent in new york, we think we could have done better if we had their help. going into the convention, 63% of republicans and independents have not voted for donald trump. if trump were to clear the 50% number in new york, it would be the first time he's ever done that in the primary. this is a fluid conversation going on. >> peter king, republican of new york, out in long island, obviously does not like cruz at all. doesn't like trump. he likes kasich but in his words, he's not -- he doesn't have a viable chance to win the nomination. why is peter king wrong? >> it's becaus he's not looking
2:36 pm
at same information we're looking at. john kasich is the only one that can beat hillary clinton in november. he's on a 15-poll winning streak. delegates who have to protect not only their own seats but the races, senate, elsewhere are going to have a long thought process. 90 days to go before the delegates gather in cleveland and are going to start to see who is best able to represent the party. we think they're going to come to view that john kasich is that person. >> trent duffy. getting more exit polling information coming into "the situation room" now. we'll check in with polling stations throughout new york, at the same time on this very important primary day. we'll be right back. everhas a number.olicy but not every insurance company understands the life behind it. for those who've served and the families that have supported them,
2:37 pm
we offer our best service in return. usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life. came out today thousands of people to run the race for retirement. so we asked them... are you completely prepared for retirement? okay, mostly prepared? could you save 1% more of your income? it doesn't sound like much, but saving an additional 1% now, could make a big difference over time. i'm going to be even better about saving. you can do it, it helps in the long run. prudential bring your challenges
2:38 pm
2:39 pm
2:40 pm
2:41 pm
polls are open in new york, a very important primary day. we're getting more exit polling data coming into "the situation room" right now. politics executive editor mark preston going through the numbers. >> a short time ago, we talked about how 57% of republicans in new york believe that this primary has been divisive. but on the other side, democrats have a different view. let's take a quick look at these numbers right here. 68% believe that this primary, between bernie sanders and hillary clinton, has energized the party. we've seen that ourselves in the large rallies from bernie sanders at a time when he is down in the delegate count. know, let's take a look at next
2:42 pm
numbers. continuation of barack obama's policies. less than 50% right now want to see a continuation of barack obama's policies. the 4 in 10 want the next democratic nominee to be more liberal. so, again, another reason why i think we're seeing bernie sanders' candidacy fueled at a time when a lot of people are trying to get limb out of the race. >> interesting numbers. anderson, over to you. >> back with the panel. john, gloria, the numbers, last one, plays well for bernie sanders. >> first one, i wanted to know what they're drinking or smoking, ones who think this is more energized and hasn't devised the party. maybe the democrats are optimistic, more optimistic than republicans, they'll get it back together, good for them. >> we saw that in 2008, a lot of vitriol. >> this is no the 2008. democrats understand than one thing that we've seen is that even when the democratic debate, the battle in brooklyn got hot
2:43 pm
and heavy, it was hot and heavy over substantive issues. they weren't going to character issues. >> judgment's not a character issue? >> i mean, judgment is a character issue but we move from that quickly. you have barbs at beginning but moved from that quickly. 2008 you were seeing exit polling 50% of those who supports indiana, north carolina, 50% of those who supported hillary clinton would not support barack obama. you had the pumas, do what will that means, a group of people out there who were opposed to barack obama. at the end of the day, came together. you don't have that this year. >> overall, democrats are happier as a lot than republicans are, you know. they've had two terms of a president, they like very much. they have two candidates. they say they could live with, right. so i think overall when you compare them to the republican party now, which is more divided, democrats are like, well, okay, if it's either one of the guys -- >> john, finish. >> 4 in 10 democrats want to
2:44 pm
keep going left. you have a lil hill in the race. bill clinton ran on a new democratic party. it was his democratic party. i don't mean that with disrespect. he thought he was building a new democratic party, a more pro-business, pro-trade position. barack obama moved it to theest will. hillary clinton is competing with bernie sanders to go further left of barack obama and way left of bill clinton. >> the two candidates are in a contest over which one is the better progressive or more to the left, which as a lefty myself, i love. but i think the numbers are really good for both candidates, for hill are you and bernie and the party itself because this is a very, very healthy primary. 4 out of 10 want to move to the left bodes well for bernie. there's one thing that works against bernie, new york's crazy rules where independents cannot vote. kayleigh said earlier, when more people vote, donald trump wins.
2:45 pm
true on the republican side. when more people vote, bernie sanders wins. there are 3 million new yorkers who cannot vote today because they didn't change by last october. i think that's bad for the party. we should be welcoming these people in to both parties. i want them to go to the democratic party and they can't. >> sense you're a lefty, interesting to see you sitting on the far right tonight. first time in your life. >> i don't choose the seats. i take whatever seat they give me. >> the good news for democrats, by and large, they are happy with the system. you done see the grouns swell of democrats coming up against the dnc. >> just wait. >> with the super delegates if the popular vote was to go bernie's way, you would see an uprising like what you're seeing in the republican party. democrats are happy with the party. they feel like they get a chance to speak. more votes is better. i'd like to see an open primary on your side. >> does it surprise you to see the exit poll of so many democrats wanting to see more
2:46 pm
liberal policies than barack obama's policies. >> i'm not surprised. i'm sure progressive liberals are frustrated with the fact president obama espoused lots of progressi progressive reviews, take on -- he has faced a lot of obstructions, partisanship. sitting next to three wonderful, remarkable republican females and i'm making them more phenomenal by being with them. but the truth is, no, this is a healthy party, a vibrant party, a party that can see beyond the election and what they are projecting is the future they want. that's why bernie has had a lot of momentum, energy, but that's why secretary clinton is doing well with regular democrats. i'll get into later why the new york primaries are closed. nothing to do with and the parties. it has everything to do with state politics. >> one reason the democrats are happier than republicans you don't have the front-runnering like donald trump, insulting the party activists people who go in
2:47 pm
the general election, the state party activists, people who become delegates, work on the ground, wave signs, they're not insulted by the party's front-runner. we had two representatives, people at the trump campaign, accusing them of bribery. where is the evidence? the legal term, habeas corpus, produce thbody. where is the evidence of this? anger and mean-spirited stuff does long-term damage to the party. we should quit pressing them for evidence because they don't have any. if they get any ounce of federal power they will do this stuff from the white house and that will be destructive for the republicans and everybody else from every party in america. >> you're permitted to bribe delegates. >> are you saying the cruz campaign is doing that? do you have evidence? >> i have no evidence. if you're unhappy with bribery -- >> do you think that -- let me
2:48 pm
finish. do you think someone should be accused of it without evidence? >> me scheidt have evidence. i'm not sure. corey lewandowski was charged without evidence. everybody was acting like he was guilty. bribery's permissible under the rules. if you're unhappy with bribery, perhaps we should change the rules. >> there's no evidence anyone is. why would you say it? >> first -- >> delegates were bribed, they were invited to state dinners with the queen, invited to the east room to have drinks. bribery's permissible under the rules. >> whoa, whoa, whoa. wasn't donald trump given rides to peep on his airplane at state fair and helicopters? they weren't delegates. doesn't seem anybody's above trying to reach out to people. >> we should be above bribery. >> okay. >> one at a time. amanda. >> also, in the week, he accused
2:49 pm
the cruz campaign of illegally courting the super pacs. also accused the cruz campaign of voter fraud. this continues. it's a new lie every week. >> we'll continue this conversation. a quick break. over three hours of voting to go. we'll check on the turnout. we'll be right back.
2:50 pm
sure, we cor put them stacked on a rack.s. but the specialists at ford like to show off their strengths: 13 name brands. all backed by our low price tire guarantee. yeah, we're strong when it comes to tires. right now during the big tire event, get a $120 rebate by mail on four select tires. when your ford needs service, these are the specialists. at ford.
2:51 pm
2:52 pm
2:53 pm
2:54 pm
polls are open in new york for just about three hours more closing at 9:00 p.m. let's go to a polling location. there have been some questions raised about voter errors. >> reporter: >> reporter: that's right. we're seeing and hearing that there are voters who are coming, trying to vote and their names are not being found on certain lists. what this is a purging issue. how this happens is sometimes voters move, sometimes voters haven't voted for several years so their names sort of go missing on certain lists and this is something that de blasio was saying is not okay with the board of elections and he's now calling nfor an investigation into this.
2:55 pm
in some cases we're hearing that entire buildings in brooklyn are missing when the voters show up to the polls. i do want to mention at this particular polling place they are seeing record turnout which is good news from this polling spot. >> does it seem that one candidate has a stronger bit of support there? >> reporter: we're seeing a lot of people for hillary. we're seeing those people who are incredibly passionate about her dedication and service. that's not to say we're not seeing any bernie supporters, but we're seeing fewer of them. it's possible that's a fact that there aren't many people that can get in here and vote for bernie in that particular case. certainly more hillary than bernie at this point. >> much more primary coverage coming up. hillary clinton and donald trump each hoping to hold victory parties tonight. we'll have new exit polling
2:56 pm
information coming in a moment. ♪ ♪ there's more than one route to the top. the lexus ls and lx... each offering leading edge comfort, safety and performance technologies. the ultimate in refinement meets the ultimate in capability. this is the pursuit of perfection. muddling through your morning is nothing new. ...your nose is the only thing on your mind... ...and to get relief, anything is fair game. introducing rhinocort® allergy spray from the makers of zyrtec®. powerful relief from your most frustrating nasal allergy symptom* ,all day and all night. hasn't your nose been through enough already? try new rhinocort® allergy spray.
2:57 pm
muddle no more® what would help is simply being able to recognize a fair price. truecar has pricing data on every make and model, so all you have to do is search for the car you want, there it is. now you're an expert in less than a minute. this is truecar. perfect driving record. >>perfect. no tickets. no accidents... >>that is until one of you clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record. >>yup... now, you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? >>no. your insurance rates go through the roof. your perfect record doesn't get you anything. >>anything. perfect! for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates
2:58 pm
due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claim centers are available to assist you 24/7. for a free quote, call liberty mutual at switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509 call today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. we built our factories here because of a huge natural resource. not the land. the water. or power sources. it's the people. american workers. they build world-class products. and that builds communities. and a better future. for all of us. because making something in america means so much, to so many. weathertech. proudly made in america.
2:59 pm
it's and as fans of awesome tv shows! because we are the couch-dwellers, the binge-watchers, the work-skippers! and we refuse to waste the greatest tv week
3:00 pm
this proud nation has ever known! but time is scarce my friends, so fetch your fancy voice remotes and join me! three, two, one... watchathon! big is back. xfinity watchathon week now until april 24. the greatest collection of shows free with xfinity on demand. happening now, pivotal primary for the first time in a long time. empire state voters could make a difference for the white house. >> there's breaking news tonight, more exit polling data and what it says about how tonight may turn out. >> dualing democrats, you're going to hear how clinton and sanders are positioning themselves for a race all the way to the convention. >> we want to welcome our viewers. i'm anderson cooper.
3:01 pm
>> and i'm wolf blitzer. you're in "the situation room." we've been anticipating this primary day for weeks. a home state show down for the democrats and for the republicans, donald trump aiming for the home field advantage. he's trying to win big enough to take it all tonight. as for bernie sanders and hillary clinton they're battling over the biggest delegate prize so far. polls close in less than three hours. our election coverage starts in two and already we're getting signs of how the day is shaping up. more exit polling data coming in ahead. first let's go to all the high points in what could be a primary for the history books. >> reporter: hillary clinton and donald trump voting in their home towns this morning. >> this has been a joy during the last two weeks to be here all over the state. >> reporter: the front-runners hoping polls that showed them
3:02 pm
with commanding leads in new york will sweep them to big victories. >> i think i'm going to do well. we'll see. who knows, it's politics, right? >> reporter: even as trump's staff is getting a shake up. trump brought on scott walker as his campaign manager. jolly's departure shrinks the aids loyal to corey lewandowski as the newly hired manager gains more clout in the campaign. trump is down playing the moves. >> as you bring in high level people, walker is a top guy, so when you bring other people in i can see other people feel a little bit hurt. >> reporter: as trump looks to stop ted cruz's resents gains in the delegate count, he --
3:03 pm
>> the case of the democrats they have super delegates. in our case it's worse, it's harder to see, but it's worse. >> reporter: what he calls defous the rnc calls delegate selection rules, one trump's team has yet to master. trailing trump in new york, john kasich and cruz are looking ahead. kasich in maryland and pennsylvania, where cruz spent new york primary day. bernie sanders moved to campaign in pennsylvania. he's selling the rules are selling him short and don't allow independents that support him over clinton to vote. >> i'm afraid she's going to be disappoint disappointed. we're feeling very good. if there's a large voter turnout in spite of 3 million people not being able to participate, i think we're going to do fine. >> the sanders campaign says
3:04 pm
that clinton will be disappointed tonight. any reaction to that from her campaign? >> reporter: they're not reacting specifically to that, but they're feeling optimistic. you probably noticed they're not managing expectations really. you hear publicly top aids to hillary clinton saying they think they are going to win here. to that end she has what she's hoping to be a victory party happening right here in new york. not only that, her campaign clearly, assuming she does win tonight, is going to try to pivot yet again to the general election and to try to cast this as really a turning point, as sort of the firewall for bernie sanders. hillary clinton's campaign manager saying with this race that the math of the primary will be overwhelming. he says bernie sanders will have a steep and close to impossible path to the nomination. >> all right. thanks very much. anderson. >> wolf, a big night in both primaries in a large and diverse
3:05 pm
state with both candidates seeming to favor different paths to victories. what should we be looking for as results come in tonight and where does tonight fit in the scheme of things. all questions for john king at the magic wall. the big question is to try to trump's delegates as low as possible. >> here is why. if you're kasich you're running in third place behind marco rubio who dropped out of the race. ted cruz is behind there. you want to limit what donald trump can do. 95 delegates at stake tonight and be all expectations donald trump is going to get the bulk of them. that's why it's so important. what are we going to look for? we know this is donald trump's wheelhouse in the city itself. he's been a media and celebrity there for years. this is his wheelhouse. can kasich get some moderate delegates and can ted cruz -- remember he was campaigning with
3:06 pm
orthodox jews, can he get conservative votes out here. can kasich pick up two or three and cruz pick up three or four. that's key to get donald trump's number down as far as you can. then we come upstate where we watched donald trump last night. he was up in this area of the state. he was talking about trade. this is an area hit hard by manufacturing job losses up here. senator cruz did not campaign much up here. even if they lose the congressional district keep trump under 50. that's the game for cruz and kasich tonight. kasich has more opportunity than cruz, but it looks like trump is heading to a big win. >> what can we learn tonight about the likelihood of an open convention. >> i think we're going to learn a lot. if you go back to the idea of donald trump has 205 lead in the
3:07 pm
delegates right now, so if donald trump has a big night in new york tonight, let's assume he gets 75, if he gets 75, john kasich and ted cruz gets the rest, donald trump starts to move out. cruz won the last contest in the midwest, it gets trump back to winning and move his delegate math. if you had a strong april for donald trump, next tuesday night, if he can run the board, then donald trump is 75% of the way to 1,237 essentially with a big win tonight and get 75% of the delegates next tuesday as well, donald trump could add 200 or more delegates between tonight and a week from now and get out past 930. it's still a steep hill, but he would be the only republican with a chance to get to 1,237. if he wins tonight and next week, it makes the odds more likely he gets there.
3:08 pm
>> thanks very much. want to bring in the entire panel right now. i want to put to you something that mitch mcconnell said this week. he said he was increaseingly optimistic that will convention will go to a second ballot. he's walked that back today saying he was -- he spoke inartfully. that was his phrase. do you buy it was an inartful phrase or do you think this points to some of the conspiracy thoughts donald trump has had or criticism donald trump had about the process. >> i think it was a moment for mitch mcconnell. he does not want to see donald trump be the nominee. it's no secret he's not been a fan of donald trump. i'm not sure if he was having a candid moment, but the bottom line is guys like mitch mcconnell would be wise to get
3:09 pm
on board with donald trump. if you empower ted cruz against the will of the people, he will lose this election against hillary clinton. >> mitch mcconnell hates ted cruz. he called him a liar on the floor of the senate. >> he's the lesser of two evils. >> do you think it was just inartful. >> no. >> he has to preserve his majority in the united states senate. there's 34 seats up for grabs, several in presidential battle ground states. mitch mcconnell is trying to preserve those. >> let me ask to our republicans, if -- why is it the assumption that donald trump will not help bring in -- because he's bringing people in if he's getting a lot of enthusiasm in the polls that that would transfer to the
3:10 pm
republicans. >> he has no platform. >> i do believe he talked about bombing the hell out of isis. >> and making the military to start waterboarding. there's that stuff that the republicans can campaign on i guess. the problem is donald trump is he has no platform. the last time we saw him debate it was about little marco and the size of donald trump's hands. he's giving the republicans nothing else to talk about. >> i agree. on top of that there is the issue with the unfavorables in all these different groups. it's creeping up past 70% with the women. i think donald trump has the potential to scramble the map, but the question is always how much is he subtracting versus adding and i think he's going to end up subtracting far more.
3:11 pm
when you talk about going to a second ballot, there are rules for a convention. they have been in place for a while. if someone does not hit it, the reason you go to the convention is because you have a uniquely weak front-runner who has not consolidated the party. trump has a decision about whether he can and wants to consolidate the party. he's shown no desire do that in the past. he says don't forget i only complain about the ones where we have difficulty. >> donald trump -- first of all, speaking of the second ballot, donald trump is going to walk into the convention unless something crazy happens with the most of the people's votes and most of the bound delegates. >> he is criticizing the process when it works against him. he's not criticizing the process when it works for him. >> he's criticizing the process when people don't get to vote. >> of course the process worked
3:12 pm
for donald trump. he's won these winner take all states. that's why the rules are sometimes written to favor those who are front-runners. >> but they should not be written in a way that cancels the people's vote. any responsible leader should be upset at the notion that an entire state did not get to vote. >> john, go ahead. >> two things. if donald trump doesn't win on the first ballot i think it is almost impossible for him to win because so many delegates are going to peel off at that point. >> because so many delegates committed to him aren't trump supporters. >> some of those are still bound on the second ballot, but his numbers are going to go down and the anti-trump movement will be emboldened at that point. mitch mcconnell demisses ted cruz. cruz is predictable.
3:13 pm
they know what cruz is going to run on. your conversation with donald trump about nuclear weapons and then when he talked about abortions, but it freaked them out that every day every republican candidate for every office in america would be asked what donald trump said today and it would be impossible to run a consistent planned predictable campaign. they would rather have cruz than trump because of that. if i disagree with cruz on this and this and this, with trump every day they think it is quicksand. >> after tonight ted cruz will literally have to win over 95% of the remaining delegates. john kasich has to win 120% of the remaining delegates. if it was anyone else this race would be over. i don't think anyone's ever seen anything like this. >> kind of reinforcing your point, i think what mitch mcconnell did he's reinforcing
3:14 pm
lindsey graham. he made them leap and now mitch mcconnell is making the leap. the phrase they're using is they'd rather lose with cruz than take a chance with trump. >> so you have trump that wants to win on the first ballot and cruz wants to win on the second ballot and you have kasich who is like i need a third ballot. >> we're going to continue the conversation in a moment. coming up next we have more exit polling that could have lots to say how voters are voting tonight. we'll be right back. one of millions of orders on this company's servers. accessible by thousands of suppliers and employees globally. but with cyber threats on the rise, mary's data could be under attack. with the help of the at&t network, a network that senses and mitigates cyber threats, their critical data is safer than ever. giving them the agility to be open & secure. because no one knows & like at&t.
3:15 pm
so we know how to cover almost alanything.ything, even a stag pool party. (party music) (splashing/destruction) (splashing/destruction) (burke) and we covered it, october twenty-seventh, 2014. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ i missed a payment. aw, shoot. shoot! this is bad. no! we're good! this is your first time missing a payment. and you've got the discover it card, so we won't hike up your apr for paying late. that's great! it is great! (both simultaneously) thank you. at discover, we treat you like you'd treat you. get the it card with late payment forgiveness. if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis isn't it time to let the real you shine through? introducing otezla, apremilast.
3:16 pm
otezla is not an injection, or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. some people who took otezla saw 75% clearer skin after 4 months. and otezla's prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you.
3:17 pm
3:18 pm
republican presidential candidate john kasich just starting a town hall meeting
3:19 pm
right now in maryland. the maryland contest is a week from today. we're going to monitor that. there's breaking news coming in right now. exit polling, democratic and republican voters on the issues that brought them out to vote today. let's bring in mark preston our cnn politics executive editor. >> we've had a lot of discussion about a contested convention and would we see donald trump, ted cruz and john kasich trying to get the republican nomination. donald trump has made the arguments if he doesn't get to the 1,237 delegates needed, if he was within striking distance he should become the nominee. seven and 10 republicans agree with donald trump. while only 25% actually believe that it should be the best qualified candidate. as we're talking about division within the republican party, let's look at these numbers. why you voted, your vote was
3:20 pm
because you supported the candidate, 69%, but more importantly if you look at the next number, 30%, so this goes to show you that three in ten republicans right now had a protest vote today, not so much that they supported a candidate, but they opposed the other candidate. again heading into cleveland this summer another sign of division within the republican party. >> thanks for that. >> it's hard to tell from that particularly that last exit poll whether that protest vote would be against donald trump or against ted cruz or any establishment candidate by republicans. >> i mean, it could go either way in new york which is why this is an interesting situation, but i think moving forward here, donald trump is going to have a good night tonight. my question is moving forward when you get to something like california and we may end up going that far because he has do really well in all of these upcoming primaries, can he manage a team that can go through this process and know the rules in a giant state like
3:21 pm
california and pick off delegates where he needs to do it. cruz has been working on this for a long time. donald trump says i'm not experienced in government, but i'm the greatest manager and i will find the greatest people and that's not been the case. he's saying all these things set up to favor me are unfair. this is the rational of his candidacy and it looks like it's failing. >> is it too late to get the organization on the ground in california that can reach out to the delegates and win them over like ted cruz has. >> it's never too late to reach out and track your delegates and do delegate maintenance and make sure the people bound to you on the first ballot will stick with you. >> what does delegate maintenance mean. >> that's a nice term. that's a lawyer and a soon to be lawyer and i'm trying to make sure it's called network and making sure your network stays
3:22 pm
strong. >> cruz has been going to people and asking questions. what issues do you care about and they'll say ted cruz has done this or that and can we ask for your support. other things that would qualify, are you willing to travel to this convention on your own dime to show your support. >> can you do this late. >> it's hard in a state like california because you have 54 congressional districts and how do you put these teams in place? is it impossible, no. does he know people he's calling everybody in this town who does this for a living and has been in successful campaigns in recent years and saying who can help me in this. ted cruz has a state-of-the-art technical team so some people want e-mails and texts. some people might want a phone call and some people want to talk to their neighbor because they want somebody local and the
3:23 pm
obama campaign was good at this, identify how do you want to be communicated with. you have facebook and twitter. so it can be done. it used to be down with old fashioned phone banking. if gloria doesn't want me to bother her, e-mail and texts are fine. ta >> we believe in smoozing. >> thank you. >> in california i ran as a delegate in california and at one time i was a super is delegate in california. there are advantages today that i didn't have then meaning electronically. it's late, but it's not too late even for california. you know who the super delegates are. the people running for delegates who you can get their names and get in contact with them. they want to be talked to and
3:24 pm
wooed. they want to be maintained. >> do you understand why donald trump did not do this earlier? did he not think he would be in the race at this stage? did he not think he would not too since he was getting such large rallies and somehow that would translate? why do you think for a guy who makes -- to your point his business ability, his organizational ability, his hiring all the right people, a prime selling point. >> i think they were overconfident. talking to people inside the trump organization they now realize there was a certain sense of arrogance and they felt when they kept on winning that this he could continue with the air war and they would not have to play this game at all. in fact, after they won a bunch of states they fired a bunch of people who were on the ground. so this was a strategic decision. you kind of look at that
3:25 pm
overconfidence now and you say wait a minute, that was wrong and that is why donald trump has decided and it may be late, decided to bring in people who actually understand the ground game and know how to do it because every campaign understands you have an air war and ground game. any campaign, no matter how successful, needs to understand how to woo and keep delegates. >> it's incredibly hard and complicated to run for president. look at this republican field. let's go back and look a tt it. this was a field of 17 or 18 people. you had eight or nine sitting former governors, members of the united states senate. what happens when you have 17 candidates, sometimes you're hiring people who haven't done this before. you can have great experience and that doesn't mean you're not a rising star, but when you come into the presidency world it's very different because of these different delegate rules. >> ordinarily delegate selection
3:26 pm
isn't the name of the game. it's not since 1976 we've been in this scenario. ordinarily it's about winning the people's vote and you had bound delegates. >> wait, wait. one at a time. >> i think one of the things that donald trump -- forgive me for saying this, but donald trump simply didn't know how to run a 21th century campaign. you saw with the obama campaign all these things and donald trump did not have that in place and now he's trying to build it, but as data driven as john said, he doesn't have access to data and ted cruz does. up next we'll hear from the clinton and sanders campaigns about what each is expecting in new york today.
3:27 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. and intellectual propertylines about bubeing stolen.g hacked that is cyber-crime. and it affects each
3:28 pm
and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to fight cyber-crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information so we can track down the criminals. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer. fight heartburn fast. with tums chewy delights. the mouthwatering soft chew that goes to work in seconds to conquer heartburn fast. tum tum tum tum. chewy delights. only from tums. hey pal? you ready? can you pick me up at 6:30? ah... (boy) i'm here! i'm here! (cop) too late. i was gone for five minutes! ugh! move it. you're killing me. you know what, dad? i'm good. (dad) it may be quite a while before he's ready, but our subaru legacy will be waiting for him.
3:29 pm
(vo) the longest-lasting midsize sedan in its class. the twenty-sixteen subaru legacy. it's not just a sedan. it's a subaru. not to be focusingo finaon my moderatepe. to severe chronic plaque psoriasis. so i made a decision to talk to my dermatologist about humira. humira works inside my body to target and help block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to my symptoms. in clinical trials, most adults taking humira were clear or almost clear, and many saw 75% and even 90% clearance in just 4 months. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection.
3:30 pm
ask about humira, the #1 prescribed biologic by dermatologists. clearer skin is possible.
3:31 pm
the polls are open in new york for about another 2 1/2 hours. hillary clinton voted early this morning. she said he's had a great time campaigning and seeing old friends and meeting new people. joining us now is the strategist for the clinton campaign. thanks for joining us. as i'm sure you've heard senator
3:32 pm
sanders say many times he's won eight of the last nine contests. the polls seem to tighten a bit in the polls leading up to the new york primary. how confident are you today. >> i think this is going to be a good night for hillary clinton. i think we're going to win this state and add to our pledged delegate lead. i think at the end of the night it's going to be pretty clear that new yorkers who put their faith in hillary clinton once before and put their faith in her again and that's because she always has their backs. >> if the win is as slim as single digits in her adopted home state, new york, does that point to some blind spots in secretary clinton's moving forward. >> no. senator sanders grew up here and it's been a vigorous campaign. the new yorkers are taking the two people that they are considering to be the nominee of their party and what's going to matter is as i said all the way
3:33 pm
through, a win is a win and especially when we add to our net delegate lead. that's a good night for us and that's what's going to happen tonight. >> bernie sanders carried his home state of vermont by about 70 points or so. that was a landslide. >> his net delegates coming out of vermont compared to our net delegates coming out of here tonight is not going to be quite the same. the key here is in the large states, hillary clinton has won by big margins and states where the turnout has been 7% or more of the eligible voters, we've won 17 of 22 states going into tonight. that's how you have to win delegates and win the nomination is by putting together a die verse coalition and winning the large states. whatever part of the country they're in. we've won well beyond the deep south as senator sanders likes to talk about and that's how we've built up a pledged
3:34 pm
delegate lead. >> let me ask you something you said earlier. it's caused some kocontroversy. you said you wonder if senator sanders will turn himself into someone who he said he wouldn't do and be a ralph nader and try to destroy the party. >> i think the only context you can put those words in is what is coming out of the sanders' campaign. they've railed against democrats in congress. he's run a campaign far more critical of the last two democratic presidents who between them created close to 40 million jobs for working americans and has said very little about george w. bush's tenure which unravelled a lot of economic progress and even in the last couple of days he's
3:35 pm
leveling more charges. they said this is a must win state and they are increasingly asailing the character of any democrats who don't agree with them and aren't on their side. i think bernie sanders is at his best when he talks about the issues. that's got to be our mission going forward coming out of these primaries. >> thanks very much for joining us. >> thank you. joining us now a very different perspective. we have the senior campaign manager from the bernie sanders campaign. everybody remembers what happened with ralph nader. al gore lost florida. he's making the suggestion that your candidate could do
3:36 pm
something along those lines. >> i remember that well having worked for al gore and i want to tell you something, bernie sanders is doing the exact opposite. he made a decision to run within the democratic nominating process and at the time he said he did so because he wants to make sure a third-party democrat pulls away. it would be great if the clinton party would be more accepting. >> what you're saying is that bernie sanders has no determination to destroy the party when it comes to defeating republicans in november. if he loses to hillary clinton will he go out there and work for her and work for other democrats and basically do what she did when she lost to then senator obama eight years ago. >> he said has he will support the party.
3:37 pm
we know what's at stake here, to have someone like trump or cruz be our president, no one wants that. we think we have a path to victory. >> what do you think is going to happen tonight? >> i think we had a good campaign in new york. we created a lot of excitement when bernie gets on the ground and 30,000 people show up it gen rates the excitement we need to win the nomination. >> do you think he can win tonight? >> that would be a big surprise. i think we'll win a lot of delegates tonight. this is hillary clinton's home state. they don't allow independents to vote. we accept that. >> these are the rules of the democratic party in new york. >> i'm not complaining. that's the reality of this process. i think she's strong in her home state, but i think we'll do well. >> what about the minority vote in new york. he's had problem with the minority vote. why? >> i think because he's not as well known as hillary clinton and because both president clinton and hillary have established a strong relationship, especially in the
3:38 pm
african-american community. we'll see latino voters moving towards bernie and also younger african-americans. >> thanks very much. >> thank you. up next, we're getting more breaking news. new exit polling data coming in, what new york voters have to say about the battle for the white house. we'll be right back. don't let dust and allergies get between you and life's beautiful moments. with flonase allergy relief, they wont. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls six. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything.
3:39 pm
i just wish it had been for a better reason. me, too, but the eulogy that frank's daughter gave was beautiful. i just feel bad knowing they struggled to pay for the funeral, especially without life insurance. i wish they would've let us help. but, it did make me think, though. about what? well, that i could leave you in the same situation.
3:40 pm
i don't have life insurance, either. if something were to happen to me tomorrow, how are you pay for my funeral? or my other bills? nothing's gonna happen to you tomorrow. you don't know that. i made a promise to always take care of you kids. without life insurance, i'm not keeping it. besides, i already looked into it and between my budget and health, well ... you should call massmutual. they have a new policy called guaranteed acceptance life insurance. i got covered with one call, and it was an affordable option for reliable coverage. what do you think, mom? i think it's time to make sure i keep that promise. if you're age 50-75, it's easier than ever to get reliable coverage at an affordable price. call massmutual today for guaranteed acceptance life insurance. with no medical questions or exams, you cannot be turned down. with one phone call, you can get coverage ranging from $2,000-$25,000, and premiums can start at less than $10 per month. guaranteed acceptance life insurance can help your
3:41 pm
loved ones cover expenses such as funeral costs, remaining medical expenses and credit card bills. we have several payment options, and benefits are paid quickly and directly to your beneficiaries. they can use it for any expense they choose. for more than 160 years, our policyowners have mattered most to us. massmutual's ratings are among the highest of any company in any industry. you can feel confident we can help you protect the people who matter most to you with guaranteed acceptance life insurance. call massmutual today at this number. call now!
3:42 pm
3:43 pm
breaking news coming in. new yorkers voting answering our exit polling questions. we're back with our politics executive editor. you're going through the exit poll information and what are we learning. >> from this data we're looking at four characteristics right now, what qualities matter to your vote, specific candidate qualities, electability, peers, honesty and experience. 43% are more interested in electability and experience. those voting with their head so to speak cares about people and honesty, 54% voting with your heart. as we see a split in the democratic party. >> how do those democratic candidates rate as far as these issues are concerned? >> perhaps wouldn't come to a surprise, but let's look at bernie sanders. 83% believe that bernie sanders is honest and trustworthy.
3:44 pm
hillary clinton six in 10 new york democrats believe she's honest and trustworthy. when it comes to electability and perhaps more important thing you would need, hillary clinton gets 64%, but look at that only a little more than three in ten democrats believe that bernie sanders could actually win. >> a lot of the democrats wan d to win in november so what we're hearing is they may not necessarily think she's as honest and trustworthy as bernie sanders, but she could win more easily going against a republican. >> we heard a lot from hillary clinton about her experience and would be ready to take on donald trump and she would be the better candidate heading into the general election, not only to win over the democrat base but to go after those independent supporters. >> anderson over to you. >> it's interesting because
3:45 pm
clearly there are some possibly good news for hillary clinton's campaign, but in the other exit polls we saw not just that there was support for president obama, but a large number of democrats want more liberal policies than president obama. >> there's disillusionment. she's tried to say the president could do more or she blames the obstructionist congress as she puts it. i do think you see that after a two-term democratic president the party is continuing to move to the left and democrats are confident they can do that because they look at the two coalitions in the last two elections a elections. i do think you do pose the question at least from my past experience in prior presidential elections, will they move too far left and put some of those states, but a virginia back in play and put north carolina out of reach.
3:46 pm
that's my question. democrats when you talk to them and you have some smart ones here they feel confident they're on safe ground doing this, but i think as you watch the party keep going to the left do you tip the electoral scale. >> when you look at the issues, these are issues that are within the mainstream of i think america right now and that's why i think -- am i right? i got my supremes here. democrats have been able to maintain 19 states the last six elections. 19 states with 242 electorate votes. for democrats the path to victory from 242 to 270 goes through florida or it goes through a combination of new hampshire and perhaps nevada. we have to continue to have the kind of support that president obama attracted to the party, but also we have to continue to
3:47 pm
focus on the issues that long term will help us. >> some of the things which have been brought up, particularly in the debates, where you had both bernie sanders and hillary clinton essentially saying no more deportations of anybody who hasn't committed a violent crime or serious crime, that's certainly going to play differently in a general election. >> boarder security is a huge issue. most americans do care about this. when you have candidates saying we're going to stop deportations all together. >> the country is getting browner and i think the democratic party is recognizing that. the role of the minority voters are increasing.
3:48 pm
obama crushed romney. i don't think talking about more progressive issues will allen nate those because republicans have a fundamental math problem in the electorate. >> i want to come back to these numbers. i think the numbers are fascinating and i think they sum up the entire democratic primary. what struck me was that the one that gets the least number of votes of what you want to see in a candidate is the one who can win in november was only 11%, but when you add up that and the cares about people like me as mark said between the head and heart, the head or the heart rather wins out over the head and then bernie has the 83% trust worthiness and you had the earlier with people looking for an outsider. that sums up the success of bernie sanders in this and why it's so close and the challenge for hillary clinton to bring those two together. >> electability is not an issue
3:49 pm
on the republican side either. time and time again we see the republican voters don't care much about electability either because primary voters want to send a message. here's the issue when you get to delegates and you get to a convention. delegates don't want to send messages. >> they want to win. >> they want to win. >> i think -- yes, neither party has really cared about electability this time around and as we move forward i just -- the trump argument has been that he can manage and he can win and he can wheel and deal and i think on many fronts you see him not doing that. on the other side of the ledger you have hillary who i think you're right, the underlying numbers show perhaps bernie is where the party is. i think there's always a chance that the party can allen nate a north carolina or virginia enough to change the math and that's the question with trump and with bernie sanders'
3:50 pm
policies. >> people don't care about electability as much because people are more engaged in the issues and donald trump can continue to avoid getting into the issues maybe through the primary. maybe he wins the nomination out right, but sooner or later has going to have to talk to hillary clinton or bernie sanders about minimum wage about regulating wall street, all these things he's never considered and i don't think people want to see that matchup. if he wants to talk about why nato is obsolete a lot more with our panel ahead. wolf? >> anderson, thank you. ted cruz looking beyond new york right now campaigning in philadelphia, so does that say something about his expectations for tonight? we'll get the cruz campaign's take and take you to another polling location to see how the voting is going.
3:51 pm
it takes a lot of work... to run this business. but i really love it. i'm on the move all day long... and sometimes, i just don't eat the way i should. so i drink boost® to get the nutrition that i'm missing. boost complete nutritional drink has 26 essential vitamins and minerals,
3:52 pm
including calcium and vitamin d to support strong bones and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. all with a great taste. i don't plan on slowing down any time soon. stay strong. stay active with boost®.
3:53 pm
real is touching a ray. amazing is moving like one. real is making new friends. amazing is getting this close. real is an animal rescue. amazing is over twenty-seven thousand of them. there is only one place where real and amazing live. seaworld. real. amazing explore your treatment options with specialists who treat only cancer. every stage... every day.... at cancer treatment centers of america. learn more at cancercenter.com/experts they're lovin' their vegetables.
3:54 pm
this is huge news! it's all thanks to our birds eye chef's favorites side dishes perfectly sauced or seasoned. what are you..? shh! i'm live tweeting. oh, boy. birds eye. so veggie good.
3:55 pm
new york voters still at the polls right now. they have a little more than two hours to vote. ted cruz is hoping to pick up for delegates than donald trump's home state or will he be punished for the new york values comments. senator cruz is looking ahead campaigning in philadelphia tonight. joining us now the national spokesman for the cruz campaign.
3:56 pm
ron, thanks very much for joining us. what are your expert takes for tonight because some of the pol pol pol polls suggest he could come in third? >> not winning anything before or after but that's congratulations to him if he does well, as expected and we're already moving on. we launched a campaign in maryland yesterday. we're in philadelphia today. lots more states to go. we'll be at the top of the sixth inning with the states that are coming up now and it's a long ball game and we move on to may and the june 7 states and wrap this up in california. >> a trump campaign senior advisor accused senator cruz, the campaign i should say of quote stealing, lying and bribing people to become delegates. she said that on cnn earlier today. what's your campaign's reaction? that's a serious charge, obviously.
3:57 pm
>> absolutely untrue. no evidence. would love to see the so-called evidence about that. donald trump lost in the last five states. over and over and over again because from a management standpoint, donald trump is a mess and his campaign reflects the same type of flawed management you saw trump steaks, mortgage or failed business endeavors, which is why he has to go through yet another campaign reorganization today. people quitting, people being moved around because the donald trump campaign is a mess. we're going to move on in terms of running for the office of president of the united states, which we're well prepared for and well organized in the states coming up and in the meantime, it's clear that donald trump is running for the most important office in the down true but he hasn't done his homework and read how you run for president of the united states and if he thinks being president of the united states is easier than running, then he's in for another surprise but he won't have that opportunity because he's not on track to become the republican nominee. we're on track to do that in
3:58 pm
chief la clevela cleveland. >> he's got a lot more votes and delegates now. you're assuming he can't win on the first round. >> donald trump will not become the republican nominee for president of the united states, and he's not on track to get the necessary delegates that he needs and the reason why he's not on track is that exactly what we said would happen happened. this race narrowed from 17 candidates down to effectively two. donald trump and ted cruz. the republican base is consolidated behind ted cruz. that's the reason why we've had the last victories in the last five states and donald trump will do well in his own state but he's not getting that consolidation. that's why five candidates from president have united behind senator cruz' campaign and that consolidation will continue. >> thanks very much for joining us. >> you bet, thank you. >> across new york, voters have just two hours or so to cast their ballots. let's see how things are going.
3:59 pm
jason carroll is joining us. jason, what are you seeing on the ground? >> here at staten island academy, a steady stream of people coming in throughout the day, two more hours left. you can see a number of folks coming in after work to cast their votes. one of the over arching themes we've seen in terms of speaking to voters throughout the day is this disappointment they expressed and excitement. disappointed and again this is there is not a better crop of candidates and excitement they are telling us donald trump is in this race. >> does it seem like one of the candidates has a lot more support than the other? >> well, again, this is just anicdotal. he said donald trump is the lesser of two evils and another woman voter, she said with all the candidates he's the man with the most plain spoken language, elderly couples saying look, we
4:00 pm
know he says crazy things but he's the right man for us right now. wolf? >> jason carroll, thanks very much. anderson and i will be back at 8:00 p.m. eastern with a special edition of "360" the beginning of the special election coverage. erin burnett "outfront" starts right now. good evening. i'm erin burnett. welcome to the viewers in the united states and around the world. we begin with breaking news. voting underway in new york. tonight crucial for both parties, donald trump and hillary clinton need major wins in hour home state. also breaking in brooklyn, the new york comptroller says more than 125,000 voters were just removed completely obliterated off of the voter rolls and adds

792 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on