Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  May 11, 2016 10:00pm-11:01pm PDT

10:00 pm
10:01 pm
10:02 pm
>> this is cnn tonight, i am don lemon. millions are addicted to pain killers, candidates are listening, too. >> we are looking at a crisis in this country regarding opioid addition and heroin addiction. >> kentucky is facing a big opioid crisis. >> can a candidate win over the speaker of the house.
10:03 pm
>> someone dies every 19 minutes from overdose, is the government doing enough? >> this has been a top priority for the president from the beginning. we have taken action to increase access to training, so important.
10:04 pm
president has made increasing access to treatment one of the top priorities, and we hear too often that people who need it cannot get it, because they can't afford it and even with the expanded access with the affordable health care act, and the president in the fy17 budget has proposed that every american who needs treatment can get it. we need congress' help on this to mach sure that they are resourcing the issue to the extent and the magnitude of the problem. >> when you say do more, specifically, stricter controls over how much a doctor can prescribe? >> so we know that we have an overprescribing problem in the united states, and we have been calling for mandatory prescriber education. we are, you know, many years
10:05 pm
into the epidemic, and while we have made some progress in reducing the prescription drug misuse, we still need the medical community to rein in overprescribing, and make sure they are doing it in a safe and effective way. it is so important to the federal government that the president actually issued a directive to the all prescribers in federal government and training, because we thinkt it is that important. and this is a top priority and not one solution to this problem, and clearly stemming the prescribing behavior that we have going on will be a significant move forward in term s of the ability to make progress on this epidemic. >> and you just said that, i want to talk about it specific mandatory training for these
10:06 pm
doctors who prescribe the powerful drugs. >> it is particularly important, and we have been undertaking the initiatives and soliciting private commitments from the medical community to do voluntary training. one of the issues that is important is that we have, while we have very well meaning physicians, physicians get little to no training on the safe and the effective opioid prescribing, and we think it is not unreasonable in the middle of an epidemic to ask the physicians to take a minimal amount of education as to save >> well, again, we have been trying to get the various medical associations and the nursing associations to do some commitments, and that i have stepped forward for voluntary commitments. but year after year as the epidemic has continued to grow, it is not a one-step solution to the problem, but it is not unreasonable to ask prescribers to get a minimal amount of education on safe and effective prescribing. >> you said that you to get congress to act, and the house
10:07 pm
is scheduled to vote on 18 bills s this week to combat this addiction, and is the problem finally getting the attention needed to solve nit your estimation? >> well, it has gotten attention, and appreciative of the attention. many of the bills really do little to the make progress on the epidemic, and we have been calling for increased resources, and increased funding to deal with that. and you know, we hear, and i hear countless stories from parents and others who finally want to get care and treatment, and they are faced with long waiting lists, and not the ability to get care when they need it. and so it is really important while we look at the solutions, we understand that this needs to be resourced just like, you know, the based on the magnitude of the crisis. >> doctor, thank you for your time. >> thank you for doing this. now, turning to the race for the white house.
10:08 pm
in a few hours donald trump will sit down with house speaker paul ryan who shook the republican establishment when he said that he is not ready to support the party's nominee, and now here is the convention manager of donald trump ryan manafort, and maybe you saw it, but maybe you didn't. hillary clinton tweeted a new video out against donald trump, and guess who is featured? >> i have no idea. >> you are. >> i don't know how the defeat isis very quickly and i won't tell you tonight. >> maybe syria should be a free zone for isis. we have to be unpredictable. >> this is about isis.
10:09 pm
>> what is your reaction? >> well, the point i was making is that this is very serious business, and the campaign for president going to be focusing on a lot of the issues and the fitness of from our standpoint hillary clinton to be president and why we think that donald trump is the only one who deserves to be sitting in the chair next year. >> and it is going to be, and some people say it could be the clash of the titans tomorrow, because in less than 12 hours donald trump is meeting with the speaker of the house paul ryan, and donald trump is under pressure or paul ryan is under pressure to endorse donald trump, and here is the speaker today. >> we have a process to get started and the last thing im going to do is to say what the end of the process is going to to be when we are beginning the process. we have an obligation to merge and unify around the common principles to offer the country a choice, a better way forward, and that is going to take some party unification to the that. >> and what is the strategy on donald trump's part to close this deal? >> well, the two men have to get to know each other, and that is what tomorrow is all about. donald trump has been in politics, running for president since last june. he has not been an active person in washington, and he is, he has
10:10 pm
not spent time getting to know the republican leaders in the congress, because when he announces the candidacy in june, he spent all of the time out meeting the people, and explaining the vision for america, and winning an overwhelming victory in the primary process, so now that he is the presumptive nominee, we are focusing on some of the things that somebody who had been in politics a lot longer would have already done which is to know some of the leaders of the party. >> and how big of a priority though that they establish some sort of cohesion or that they are unified in some way and come out with the united front? is that a big priority? >> well, they have both said it is important to know each other and the to work together, because they represent the republican party and donald trump as the leader of the party going into the general election -- >> well, who needs who more? >> well, it is a team effort.
10:11 pm
and donald trump has won the nomination of the party running on a candidacy of being the outsider, but he also understands the responsibility now that he the leader of the party to work the party leaders and to prevent the common front so we ensure of winning not only the presidency, but to ensure that the congress stays republican as well. >> and let's talk about tax, because that is an issue. this is what donald trump told the a.p., nothing to the learn from them, and he meant releasing the tax return, and mitt romney is slamming your boss, it is nonsense for a common day politician to not release their tax returns, and only one logical explanation h there is a bombshell in them. and so he criticized mitt romney for releasing his sooner, and he said that he has not because he is under audit, and richard nixon has said that he is under audit and why give the never trump people something to
10:12 pm
criticize him over? >> well, they have lost, and so they need to get over it. and -- >> have you seen them. >> i have not seen them, and the bottom line is that people are a wealthy person, and they know what he has built, and the business empire is obvious in almost any state that you go to, and that is not the issue, but what is at issue is the future of the united states and making america great again and these are all issues by people who want to distract donald trump to know about his vision. and they don't care about his tax returns bush they want to change his gridlock in washington. >> and i have to disagree, because the whole thing is that he is built on the wealth. right. that he is a wealthy businessman and he knows what he is doing business wise, and the tax returns are an example of that. >> no, the tax returns of an example of the success, but the bottom line is the bottom line of the real success is what he
10:13 pm
as built in the country, and people are interested in him because he gets things done, and presented the image of a vision of what is wrong with america, and the american people, he understands what is bothering them, and he understands the angst, and as a consequence, we had this overwhelming victory in the primary process and the tax returns have nothing to do with why donald trump is in the strong position that he is today. >> and if it is the reason for being for existing where you are saying that i am a strong businessman, and i can help this country, and people see that the tax returns are an example of that, and the question is that you say that he is not releasing them because he being audit and other people have released the tax returns because they are being audited, and if he does
10:14 pm
not anticipate any wrong, and he has done the taxes correctly, why not release them anyway, and the irs does not say that you can't release the tax return if you are being audited. >> i accept that. he said he is being audited and what is at issue at the campaign are the kinds of things that he is talking about regarding the terrorist crisis, and regarding the loss of jobs and the unfair trade deals, and that is what people are talking about and they are not talk about the tax returns, and the people who are talking about it are people who do not want to see him be president of the united states, and they are not driving his decisions. >> and the fact that we have saying that he is being audited and the irs says they won't comment on, that and will you allow or the irs to say what years whether or not he is being audited and for what years? >> i have nothing to do with the tax returns. look, again, this issue is too much ado about nothing. the bottom line is that it is being presented as an issue by people who want to see him defeated, and it is not being presented by an issue of the people he sees on the campaign
10:15 pm
trail, and the issue, of the hundreds of thousands burk over 10 million people who voted for him in the primary process, and what they are looking at, they are judging the man on the accomplishments and what he is based on and promising the do and not his tax return. >> and you don't see the hypocrisy that he is saying that hillary clinton should release her talks for goldman sachs, and then he won't. >> well, bernie sanders is saying that and you have to ask her that. >> and this is what trump tweeted after mitt romney's facebook and interview. i told the a.p. that my tax returns are under audit and not until the audit is complete. and what happens if they are released after the election.
10:16 pm
[ male announcer ] love drama? don't be a yes man.
10:17 pm
[ boss ] it is a very smart plan. so we're all on board? [ paul ] no. this is a stupid plan. hate drama? go to cars.com. research. price. find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama. only cars.com helps you get the right car ♪
10:18 pm
it was always just a hobby. something you did for fun. until the day it became something much more. and that is why you invest. the best returns aren't just measured in dollars. td ameritrade. yea, that's my daughter, my son, and that's my... hey, kool-aid man! ...husband. oh yeah!!! [ crashing ] [ electricity crackles ] hey at least you got your homeowners insurance through progressive. by bundling it with your car insurance you saved a ton! yeah. do you want to see the rest of the house? -i can actually see a lot of it. -oh.
10:19 pm
10:20 pm
- just hours away, the highly anticipated meeting between donald trump and house speaker paul ryan and back with me paul manafort, and the trump campaigning manager, and the question is that he said that he was not ready to support, the house speaker, to support donald trump and he said that he was anticipating that, and then donald trump tweeted out, well, i'm not ready to support him as well. and what are the policy difference, and do you know what their policy differences are? >> well, paul ryan's five-point agenda for america has many of the points that donald trump has been raising like dealing with the trade issues, and dealing with the jobs, and repealing obamacare, and the things that unite them and not divide them. >> and why not tweet that, because doesn't it sound like sour grapes because you don't know what divides them, but unites them, and why not say that -- >> and both of them have said in the last 24 hours that thaw are looking forward to the meeting, and they both feel like what unites them and both of them recognize the importance of the meeting to the lead the party in the general election.
10:21 pm
>> and he has promised to be more presidential once he made it to the general, and he is the presumptive no, ma'am fee, and he said that tone is going to change and i will be so presidential and so boring that you can't stand me, and on the last couple of days on twitter he has called elizabeth warren goofy, and hillary clinton crooked and bernie sanders crazy, and is that presidential? >> donald trump is never going to be boring. >> is he ever going to to be presidential? >> he is, and 10 million people voting in the primaries say they saw him as presidential, and i think that you will see as the campaign progresses with the millions more voters that he is going to be getting to the side that people think that he can be president, and proud to be president. >> you have a lifetime of experience when it comes to politics, and we were talking about working with someone like donald trump, and working with this campaign, and have you seen, what is this like for you? as a campaign manager? >> unique. he is an incredible candidate. and his personality is just gigantic, and he is very smart, and he understands how to
10:22 pm
communicate things that people relate to, and he has the courage not to let political convention or political correct ness get to him. and that is a unique quality. >> and is that frustrating that he does not listen to, you and you say, hey, don't call elizabeth warren goofy or bernie sanders crazy? does he take your opinion? >> well, he listens to my opinion, and processes it, and we have a good working relationship. >> and so perfect person to ask, because you are the convention manager, and everybody is saying, that cleveland is oh, my gosh, i don't know what is going to be happening in cleveland and will this party be united by the time cleveland happens? is that what we will see? >> yes, you will see a united party, and you will see it before cleveland and all of this communication, and conversation over the last month and a half of how cleveland was going to be disaster and second ballots and third ballots, and none of it was ever really in the offing, and republicans didn't want to see it.
10:23 pm
it was part of the competitive nature of the primaries and the republicans are already coming together. you will find that as we build the program, and provide a better understanding of who donald trump is to the american people, and what republicans stand for, and create the trump ticket for the general election, that we will leave cleveland much more united than the democrats are leaving philadelphia. >> everyone is expecting fireworks? >> well, they should go to philadelphia, because that is where they are going to be. >> you don't think it is going to be happening in cleveland? >> no, it is going to be at the democratic national convention in philadelphia. >> he said that the convention was so boring last time. >> you will see donald trump nominated for the president of the united states and that is going to be very exciting and very different. >> and show business? >> depends upon the eye of the beholder. >> and who is going to be
10:24 pm
standing besides a donald trump saying, you know, together, we will make this america great again? >> well, the family for one. >> you know what i am talking about? >> well, you know that he said that he is now starting the process of talking to people, getting the opinions, and in his own mind processing the kind of the vice president that he wants, and he said that he wants somebody who can work with washington, and somebody who is going to be dealing with the congress, but he is not giving any indication of who those types of people are, and he has a list of people, and it is in his mind, and at this point in time, he is still processing it. >> he has not shared that list of people with you? >> he has shared the ideas of people, and many people, and to say that there is a list that he is now prepared to start vetting, he has not shared any list. >> and who would you like to see standing next to him. >> oh, everybody has an opinion, and only one matters. >> who would you like to see? >> the man or woman that he can chooses.
10:25 pm
>> that is a really good answer. and it is not the answer, but -- >> that is the truth. >> and you know, it is interest, because we have been talking about seeing this coming or at least anticipating it, and i said that we on the show have been anticipating it from the beginning, and you said that you did as well, and now everyone in washington wants to speak to you? >> well, a lot of people are calling that i had forgotten about, yes, because they now see, well, again, trump ran as the outsider, and the whole mission was to connect with the america, and talk to the american people, and to say that he was going to be breaking the gridlock of washington. and washington now is trying to find a way back into donald trump, and the american people are going to be doing that. >> are you going to be in washington for that meeting?
10:26 pm
>> when we come back, frank rich. scotts. it's good out here. scotts. wannwith sodastreamter? you turn plain water into sparkling water in seconds. and because it's so delicious, you'll drink 43% more water every day. sodastream. love your water.
10:27 pm
10:28 pm
raise yyou know,if you've got "save $500 bucks over here." "no, save $300 bucks over here." well, esurance was born online, and built to save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company.
10:29 pm
10:30 pm
on the eve of the hotly advertised meeting of paul ryan and donald trump, we are now joined by the man who wrote hb -- hbo's "veep" and i am sure that he could not even write this. you were listening to my interview with paul manafort. and he gave me the expectations of the meeting tomorrow and he said some meting of the minds, and what do you think is going to happen? >> well, sooner or later, there is going to be some unity of some sort, because people are starting to fold, and trump is
10:31 pm
the presumptive nominee, and i don't know what is in it for paul ryan the fight him, because to fight him is to fight the base of his own party. isn't it? face it. trump's real fans really don't care what paul ryan or mitt romney or jeb bush have to say about any of it. so, if, you know, ryan leaves in the it? i don't think that it helps him, and it may help trump. criticisms from people like him, the establishment always backfire and help trump and make him stronger. >> i talked about the tax return, and i pushed him on that, because some people are saying that there is a degree of hypocrisy and he says no. and mitt romney says it is disqualifying to not release the return, and trump said he would. and mitt romney's statement today saying it is disqualifying, and what do you think? >> well, this mitt romney has been trying to do the never trump thing for week now, and it has failed. he has no authority to say it is disqualifying. of course, trump should release the tax returns, but mitt romney is not the supreme court, but he is a failed candidate who is largely hated by the republican base. >> many of them are saying, you know, i won't bother to go to the convention, and my question is that as everybody is saying about the party unity, and party unity, and do you think that the american people or at least the gop, do they think that the voters even care about party
10:32 pm
unity? >> no. i think that trump is his own brand, and i'm not a trump fan, i have to add, but no, they don't care about party unity. they don't like mitch mcconnell, a and they don't like paul ryan and they betrayed him and trump subpoena the hero, and why do they care if they kiss his ring or not. >> on the subject of taxes, this is what hillary clinton had to say. >> what about the taxes? so we will get around to that, too. because when you run for president, and especially the nominee, that is kind of expected. my husband and i have released 33 years of tax returns. we got eight years on the website right now. so you have to ask yourself, why doesn't he want to release them? yeah, we will find out. >> do you think that there is a bombshell in trump's taxes?
10:33 pm
>> yes. >> but if it were illegal the government would step in and say so, i am sure that he took care of every advantage that he could of someone in his position, but hillary clinton is playing with fire, because right now they are bernie sanders' issue, and using her exact language, and what is in there and why can't you release the speeches. >> and he is running as a businessman and that is why i felt that it was important to ask paul manafort that his mantra is i can save this country with the economy, and if you are a businessman and what you are doing in the business, and your tax returns are in part an example of that and why not release them? >> and exactly. and do with know what his net wealth is or any of that, and we don't really know any of it, but he is going to stonewall it, and
10:34 pm
say, look at the towers, they are gorgeous, and they represent a ton of money. >> yes. >> and moving on now to the democrats, and bernie sanders won again, and why can't hillary clinton win in the last primaries? >> because he has a huge following, and it is analogous to trump's without being the same people. they are loyal to him, and they don't have, they have not warmed up to her. >> and is sanders pushing clinton too far to the left for the general election? >> people say that, but i don't know if it is true, because on one hand, and another hand, she has to win over his voters, and they have to come to the polls for her this november. so she has to move to the left on some of the issues or they will stay home, and she is caught between the rock and the
10:35 pm
hard place there. >> and did you see bernie sanders last night? he hit trump hard last night in his victory speeches, and here is what trump, ow he responded. he said i don't want to hit crazy bernie too hard yet, because i love what he is doing the crooked hillary and his time is going the come. and why is he holding back the attack except for the crazy bernie part, and is he trying to garner some sort of favor or curry some favor from his supporters. >> well, there is a theory, and i don't know if it holds up but he could peel some of them off, and maybe a small number of them, but what does he have to gain by going after bernie sanders, and he should welcome them into the tent whether they come or not, and save the barrage for hillary. >> and "veep" is your thing, and so who is on the short list for that? >> well, one thing that -- >> unequivocally. >> it is the most worthless job in america, so i don't know. i'm thinking amorosa or gary busey or whatever. i mean, "veep" is dedicated to prove that it is no power or clout and worthless. >> what about on the democratic side? >> i don't think it makes a difference, because i don't think that people vote for vice presidents. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> don't tell that to "veep." >> all right. i appreciate it. frank rich, thank you. when we come back, donald trump
10:36 pm
says don't worry nothing to see here, but should he release the taxes and get it over with?
10:37 pm
10:38 pm
every day, brian drives carefully to work. and every day brian drives carefully to work, there are rate suckers. he's been paying more for car insurance because of their bad driving for so long, he doesn't even notice them anymore. but one day brian gets snapshot from progressive. now brian has a rate based on his driving, not theirs. get snapshot and see just how much your good driving could save you.
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
donald trump says he plans to release the taxes when an irs audit is completed. what he doesn't say just exactly when that might be. here to discuss now is tim pawlenty, the former republican governor of minnesota and contributor maria cardona who is a superdelegate committed to hillary clinton, and also mark preston our executive editor the. and mark, let's start with you, and talk taxes, and have been talking back and forth about trump's taxes and the timing of it and when and if they will be released after, and mitt romney is going after mr. trump and saying, mr. trump, tear down that tax wall, and he then goes on the say in at tweet it is disqualifying for a modern day president to not release the taxes to the american voters? >> well, perhaps that is true, but in the case of donald trump,
10:41 pm
unless we find out that there is something that is damaging like offshore accounts or the loopholes that he is not supposed to be using or the tax rate is so unbelievably lower than it would be for the normal person, then -- >> or not as rich as he says. >> or even that is not going to hurt him either. listen, donald trump is the unconventional candidate that none of us have seen in our lifetime. >> why is mitt romney going after donald trump? >> because donald trump went after him, and donald trump felt the heat from the democrats when he was running to release his tax returns, and he got hurt by it, and that is another reason that i think that donald trump is not releasing them, because it gives fodder to the democrats, and i agree that the supporters don't care, but our party going to be hammering about it. >> and do the voters care about it? >> no, the press does and the democrats and there is a drip, drip, drip, which is a distraction, and the norm is to release them, but the norm is not that he is a norm candidate and the rules don't apply to
10:42 pm
him. so he will get away with it. >> unless as mark preston said something detrimental in there. and do you believe there is a bombshell in there, governor? >> probably not. if so, the irs would be after that. in the audit. and it is complicated, and he is in there because it is is complicated and something that he doesn't like, but it is not a vote driver. >> and if you are under audit, there are some years outside of the audit that might be released -- >> if there are, they are meaningless, because they are so far back, but at the right time, i will release them. i hope to release them. i'd like to release them, but when i am under audit, i can't do that. >> and the irs says nothing prevents the individuals from sharing their own tax information and that is not a correct answer, right? so, this audit excuse does not hold water does it, maria? >> no, and it is actually a presidential candidate nixon who
10:43 pm
released it while he was being audited and it is not something that the irs says you can't do, and it is absolutely completely up to him. >> but i have to say though that it is the perfect argument for him, and say that there is something wrong in the taxes that he did not anticipate, and it happens to a lot of us, americans, because by his own admission he said that the tax code is complicated and he said, listen, this is so complicate and we got it wrong, and the american people got it wrong and i'm an example of it and we need to fix this thing, and it is that easy. >> that is why i agree with governor pawlenty it is not an issue for the supporters, and we have seen it, because he is defying conventional wisdom and to other candidate could get rid of it, but again, it is a fodder
10:44 pm
for the during the republican primary electorate, it is fodder for the democrats, and great for the base to mobilize our side and that is not good for him in the end. >> and mark, nobody would accuse hillary clinton of being too transparent -- >> well, on this, you can. >> and online you can find the clinton's, and does it make it hard for donald trump? >> no, it is interesting for the clintons they did not make money until bill clinton left office and done with the white house and went on to give the speeches. >> that happens to every president. >> and i'm not criticizing him for it, but the tax returns were not interesting before that, i mean, they were very much like, you know, a governor of arkansas doesn't make a whole lot of money, and the senator does okay, but doesn't make a whole lot of money, but for donald trump, again, he is not the ordinary candidate and by the way, he is the first one to admit, don, i will use all of the rules i can to my advantage, and i hate the lobbyists, but i hire them, and so he has already
10:45 pm
telegraphed that he has done stuff that others would find objectionable. >> and now, moving on, let's talk about the meeting between donald trump and paul ryan, and his campaign manager paul manafort was here, and he said that we will see them coming together. >> we will see the sights and sounds of going to unity, but it won't be achieved tomorrow, but speaker ryan and others will be folding in eventually, but the magic moment may not be tomorrow. he needs unity and not perfect unity and he does not need it immediately, but come october, it is going to be partly unified to get done what he needs. >> who needs each other more? >> well, they are codependent. >> how so? >> well, speaker ryan if he has future aspirations does not want to alienate the 10 million voters, and he wants to have a unified party for this fall for donald trump. they need each other. >> and how much of the house is urging him to get behind him and to fracture the party and not divide them?
10:46 pm
>> well, i agree with governor pawlenty, ultimately, they will come out of this unified, but there is a grand canyon of differences between paul ryan and house republicans and the conservative positions and donald trump. entitlement reform, immigration, the muslim ban, trade -- i mean, these are huge conservative policies, bedrock conservative policies that donald trump is not in line with, and that is perhaps going to be the gist of the conversation tomorrow, and in terms of how they can try to come together, and given this grand canyon of actual policies that is between them. >> and if you can solve that in an hour or however long meeting that it is, and then maybe in a half day meeting you could solve world peace. >> right. it is not going to happen. >>ed thank you, governor. >> you are welcome. >> and when we come back, a man
10:47 pm
who knows the struggle of prescription addiction from the personal insight. ople, and part to help companies be... local & global. open & secure. because no one knows & like at&t.
10:48 pm
10:49 pm
10:50 pm
the house votes this week on 18 bills to address opioid addiction, but what will it take to solve this crisis?
10:51 pm
joining me is a man knowing the problem, and that is former rhode island congressman patrick kennedy and the author of "a common struggle" and good to have you here especially talking about this congressman. thank you so much. how are you? >> i'm great. thank you, don. i am appreciate your having me on. >> you have struggled with the prescription drug addiction and a lot of people think that it could not happy to them. tell us your story. >> well, like many, i got addicted to oxycontin when originally prescribed for a back surgery that i had, and then since i had the back surgery, i used that as an excuse to continue to seek prescriptions for oxycontin and the reason i did is that i liked the way that oxycontin made me feel, and not only did it relieve the pain as doubtful as the pain was, but the psychic pain that i had, and there is nothing like the calming effect of an opiate on
10:52 pm
the brain to make you feel good. that is why people use these drugs to seek that relief, and then the brain becomes hijacked. it is addicted. the brain chemistry changes so that it is not as much that you are looking for the relief as much as you need the drug just to replace this deficit in your brain that is causing you real dysphoria if you don't have the drug in you. so many people often think it is a big party for everybody who is an addict, but i can tell you that it is shifting very quickly from it being something that feels good initially to something that you just need in order to survive to keep you from crashing. >> and let me ask you, because the question is how did we get
10:53 pm
here? because the cdc reports that opioids which includes pain medication and heroin were involved in almost 30,000 deaths in 2014, and so how did we get to this point? are we here because the doctors are overprescribing drugs, and these types of drugs? >> so, there are a number of reasons of how we got here. one is purdue pharma the manufacturer of oxycontin manufactured a lot more pills than necessary to treat cancer pain, and these powerful medications were really designed to treat the kind of pain that comes from cancer and the like. so once they were out, then kind
10:54 pm
of physicians got into the practice of writing them, because they were under the gun so to speak with the patient satisfaction. so, the reimbursement for the hospitals will actually suffer if the patients fill out a satisfaction that says, oh, we were not happy with how i was treated especially for the pain management. so doctors don't want to get, you know, that knock against their hospital, so they will give a pill even if they know that the patient is drug seeking, and then it comes to the fact that there is really not good as you have heard earlier from michael boticelli that physicians don't get very good medical education in terms of addiction or mental illness. in fact, most of the primary docs and this in fact, most all of the docs treat a better part of the patient population has cooccurring addiction, >> and so why the ama, the american medical association are
10:55 pm
against what congress, and many people have proposed? what is going on here? >> well, they are wrong. u mean, don, this is a medical profession that is supposed to be taking care of the patients, and the fact that so few doctors are actually even going into treating addiction, okay, so that the other flipside of this is that, don, there is medication assisted treatment for those who are chronically addicted to opiates, and none of these doctors want to sign up to provide this medication which is known as methadone and this is the evidence-base, because if you are suffering from a dependency, you can't run off to the big 30-day rehab and detox and have plenty of time, because most people lose their jobs and have no livelihood. they need medication to supplement that deficit in the brain that i spoke about earlier, and that medication is there, but they can't even now get doctors to write for the treatment. so not only are the doctors overprescribing on the front end, they are not, they are actually underprescribing on the back end when in fact that is where we now need the doctors the clean up their mess. >> yes.
10:56 pm
>> and it is an outrage today that the ama is fighting both the expansion of the professional education which should not be a position that they are taking in good conscience and not signing up to treat the addicts, and you know why? because they are stigmatized group. and clear that something has to be done about it, and we will hear much more from the congress this week, and we will have you back on to discuss. thank you, congressman, and thank you for coming on. >> i appreciate it, don. thank you so much. >> we will be right back. then - those places change every few months? i think i'll pass... quicksilver from capital one puts nothing in your way. you simply earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, everywhere. you can't dodge the question... what's in your wallet?
10:57 pm
and an early morning mode.ode. and a partly sunny mode. and an outside... to clear inside mode. transitions® signature adaptive lenses... ...are more responsive than ever. so why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit®. ...upgrade your lenses to transitions® signature. now get up to a $90 rebate by mail. when you purchase glasses and sunglasses featuring select brands. ask your eyecare professional or visit transitions.com for details.
10:58 pm
yea, that's my daughter, my son, and that's my... hey, kool-aid man! ...husband. oh yeah!!! [ crashing ] [ electricity crackles ] hey at least you got your homeowners insurance through progressive. by bundling it with your car insurance you saved a ton! yeah. do you want to see the rest of the house? -i can actually see a lot of it. -oh.
10:59 pm
11:00 pm
our live coverage continues now with errol barnett and rosemary church in atlanta. plus, brazil's president could be hours away from having to step down for a while as the senate debate her impeachment. >> a series of terror attacks in iraq's capital. nearly 100 people are dead, all while the country is in political turmoil. and later as the investigation continues into prince's death, cnn holds a special town hall on how many americans are addicted to painkillers. hello and welcome to our viewers here in the united states and all around the world. i'm rosemary church. >> and i'm errol barnett. we very much appreciate you joining us. we're your anchor team for the next two hours on "cnn newsroom."

37 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on