Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  May 19, 2016 11:00am-1:01pm PDT

11:00 am
closer, senator sanders supporters and mine, than either of us is with donald trump. >> why don't you reach directly to senator sanders and do the work of reunification of the party, however you want to see it? i ask this because senator sanders said to me in the past and to many others, it is not my job to get my supporters to vote for hillary clinton. clinton has to make the case and given what you are seeing with the increase of hostility and antagonism on the democratic side, should you reach out to bernie sanders and say, let's start doing this the right way? let me start talking to the supporters. >> i've said many times what i've just said to everyone including his supporters. i am absolutely committed to doing my part, more than my part. but senator sanders has to do his part. that's why the lesson of 2008 which was a hard-fought primary as you remember, is so pertinent
11:01 am
here. because i did my part. but so did senator obama. he made it clear he welcomed people who had supported me. he made it very clear. we went to unify, new hampshire, together. appeared together. spoke together. and made it absolutely obvious that i was supporting him. he was grateful for that support. i was reaching out to my supporters. he was telling his. >> you nominated senator obama at the convention. >> i did. >> bernie sanders is saying he'll fight all the way through the convention. it's different. >> he has to do his part to unify. he said the other day that he'll do everything possible to defeat donald trump. he said he'd work seven days a d week. i take him at his word. the threat he poses the our country and democracy and economy that i certainly expect senator sanders to do what he said he would. >> any thought to your making the first move and reaching out
11:02 am
to make that process happen now as opposed to months from now? >> we have had lots of conversations between people who know me well and support him. >> not him directly? >> he knows what i'm saying. i respect him. i understand the very passionate advocacy he feels for the issues he's been really pounding away at for years. >> you know what would bring you two together very quickly? if bernie sanders became your vice president. is there any chance of that? >> i won't get into that. that's something down the red. >> where better in your ho hometown? >> what brings us together is donald trump. that's what brings us together. >> is he in consideration? >> i'm not going to answer that question. good question. >> of things to bring you together. who knows if he would say yes? >> yeah. >> all right. we'll hold that for another day.
11:03 am
this is the easy part. >> yeah. >> theoretically is getting the nomination. the harder part will be the general. if you are the nominee and you have full confidence you will be, you know where donald trump is going. he's started early and he's adopted the go ugly early mentali mentality. your response has been i'm not going there. >> right. >> i'm going to stay above it. the risk is that that's what jeb bush said. that's what others said. and the stink wound up sticking to them. are you concerned by ignoring the attacks they become more powerful? >> no. i'm not because i think people can judge his campaign for what it is. i'm going to run my campaign. i'm not so much running against him as i am running for the kind of future that i think america deserves to have and that i believe i'm the best candidate to deliver. that's why i tack about
11:04 am
education and health care, how we'll bring the country together. i have a lot of experience working across the aisle with republicans. i did it as first lady, senator, secretary of state. i'm very confident that we're going to lay out my record of accomplishments, my ideas, my vision for the future. he can say whatever he wants to say but i think in every election people want to know what will you do tomorrow? what's the future going to look like if i entrust you with this most solemn responsibility? and that's exactly the kind of campaign i am running and i intend to keep running. >> but his way is working. for him. he took out an entire field. he keeps winning. he has more votes than any republican ever. >> i have 2 million more than he has. yes. he took out a field that couldn't really criticize him on issues because they fundamentally agreed with him. they don't want to raise the minimum wage either. they all want to criminalize
11:05 am
abortion. when he would say the outrageous things and perhaps more dramatically than the counterparts were saying, they were stymied and then the personal piece of it, they just tried to respond tit for tat. if you pick a fight with, you know, a bully, you know, you're going to be pulled down to their level. >> some point you have to stand up to a bully, as well, right? that's what we teach our kids. >> i think that's exactly what i'm doing and the campaign is doing and not so much for me, chris, what he says about me. i am really used to it. i have very thick skin. it's what he says about other people. it's demeaning comments about all kinds of women. his offensive comments about immigrants. his mocking someone with a disability. the way he talks about muslims. how really unmoored he is talking about foreign policy and the loose cannon he's turned out to be with the national security.
11:06 am
so i'm going after him. i'm going after him exactly on those issues and statements that are divisive and dangerous and i think that's what the american people want to see, not an argument between two people but what is it you think you're bringing to the table, asking for our vote for president? and contrast it with the other guys. >> do you ever feel compelled to defend your honor, the honor of your husband? >> no. >> with statements he's making going to the core of the relationship? >> no. not at all. i know that that's exactly what he is phishing and i'm not going to be responding. >> so as you head forward in this, where do you believe the path forward is from here? what do you think happens within the democratic party going forward? because it does seem to be somewhat of an unknown right now. not the math about the nomination. that's the easy part. >> right, it is. >> where does the party wind up and how?
11:07 am
>> right. >> what do you bring against donald trump? you know what he's bringing against you. >> well, i think that we are going to come together. we will unify. that doesn't mean we won't have some vigorous discussion and debate about issues, about the platform, about all of the process of a convention. i welcome that. i think that's healthy. i think bringing people into the party giving them a voice at the end is going to help us in the fall. i think as i said i will certainly do my part and more to reach out and bring in senator sanders supporters and i have every reason to expect he'll do the same. i think we'll have a great convention in philadelphia and then we'll go out and carry on the campaign against donald trump. and the republicans. and i really believe that we're going to have a strong, compelling case to make about the choice that the american
11:08 am
people will be facing. and i feel, you know, very optimistic about how the election will come out and i also feel optimistic about the country. i mean, most of what trump says is pretty negative about america. it's pretty much fearmongering, criticizing. you know, we are well positioned if we do our part. if we show leadership, if we bring people together. i think the three big tests any of us have to meet who is running for president, can you produce positive results in peoples' lives? i have a track record of doing that. can you protect america? can you be commander in chief? can you lead the world toward safety and prosperity? can you unify the country? i think on all three of those i'm able to go to the american public and say i can meet that test and i believe on all three of those donald trump can't. >> last question. i have to ask you this. when you started this campaign, you talked about your grand kids
11:09 am
and you talked about your mother. >> right. >> nobody saw what is happening in this election coming down the road. what do you think when you think about your mother and the inspiration about how you get up? you've never faced an opponent like donald trump before. and the way he's coming after you, whether it's the foundation or your marriage or whatever. what do you think the advice would be about what to do to him? >> i think same advice my mother always gave me and everybody gets knocked down and knocked around in life and the real test is whether you get back up, you dust yourself off and keep going and my mother's life, which was really so different from mine because she was abandoned and neglected by her family and was out working on her own to survive at the age of 14. and someone's home is a maid and a babysitter. she taught me resilience and courage and the power of love and kindness. because that's what kept her
11:10 am
going. not from her own family. but from the teachers that saw the spark in her and reached out to help her. even from the woman whose house she worked in and knew how desperately my mother wanted to go to high school. and so she said, dorothy, if you can get up early and get your chores done, i'll let you go to high school but you have to come right back. and that might sound harsh to our ears with your beautiful children and my adorable granddaughter, but to my mother it was a gift to go to high school while working to support herself. so, i by osmosis and example, know if you're putting yourself in the arena everything that goes with life as hard as it may be is probably amplified, mag me if ied, increased. i get that. i'm someone in the library of my hometown in park ridge, illinois, a place i spent a lot of hours in, i am the recipient
11:11 am
of not just my family's sacrifice, but this country's promise and i feel with all my heart, chris, that's what's really on the ballot come november. are we going to reconfirm the promise of america, which does have a place for immigrants, which does try to move people to be more unified and not divisive, that does expect leaders to bring people together, not tear them apart? are we going to chart a course in keeping with our history? because i think we already have r great and no guarantee we stay great unless we work together, leaders and citizens alike. where i went to public school, my first jobs in the park system and the time at the library and
11:12 am
the movie theater inspires me to make sure that my granddaughter has the same opportunities that my mother made sure to provide for me. that is my mission and that's what i will try to do and stand for in this campaign. >> secretary clinton, i know you have a very busy day. thank you for making time. >> thank you. >> the conversation continues. good luck to you going forward. >> thank you, chris. >> wolf, back the you. >> chris, excellent interview. thank you very much for doing that. i want important analysis, very important points the secretary just made, the former secretary. she says, i have concluded he, referring to donald trump, the presumptive republican nominee, is not qualified to be president of the united states. she says he represents a threat to the u.s. democracy, to the u.s. economy. she also says that her democratic challenger bernie sanders should get over it and she will be the nominee of the democratic party. she hopes to unify that party down the road.
11:13 am
i want to bring in chief political analysis gloria borger, dana bash, nia-malika henderson. gloria, she said donald trump is not qualified to be president of the united states. >> yeah. i'm not so sure we have heard you say that in so many words and flatly and made a list of things she thought were disqualifying for him, whether it's the position on potentially withdrawing from nato, praising kim jong-un, dissing the british prime minister and on and on and then actually stunning to me in terms of this primary fight that she's been in is she basically said it's done. it's over. that's it. and there's a question of whether bernie sanders supporters actually feel the same way. she said she was very disturbed by what had occurred in nevada
11:14 am
and she made reference to the fact when she had to concede to president obama that she went out and campaigned her heart out for barack obama and that 40% of her supporters said that they never could support obama and then they came around. she hasn't spoken to bernie sanders personally it seems to me but she was sending a clear message, you better get with the program here because this is what we really need in order to beat donald trump. >> very strong words, dana bash. fighting words to the bernie sanders supporters out there when she says basically it's over, get over it. i will be the nominee of my party. >> she had the boxing gloves on and using both of her hands equally hard. both at donald trump at the beginning as gloria just laid out. incredibly tough. usually talking about presidential races, one party says, well, it is not that they're not qualified but i
11:15 am
disagree with them on the issues. no, no, no. he is not qualified to be president. gler yeah is right. she was way stronger on that than we heard before. incredibly note worthy. on the other side, the other fight and not only it's over but she wept in to excruciating detail about what she did when she was at the end of her fight with barack obama. >> in 2008. >> in 2008. reminding everybody, she said, 45% of my supporters said that they would never support obama but i went to unify, new hampshire. i worked hard to get them behind obama. and then basically effectively saying it's not just up to the supporters to say, okay, fine, we'll go with you. it's up to bernie sanders himself to help make that happen because she did it herself when
11:16 am
she was on the losing end of a two-person fight for the democratic primary. incredibly strong. look. she -- i actually thought i saw a very different hillary clinton here. you know? she's at times has been cerebral, laid back, mellow. that's not the person who showed up to this interview. chris did an excellent job asking her sharp questions and she came right back and very clear, very divisive words for donald trump and for bernie sanders. >> nia, she was asked if she would respond in kind to some of the very strong statement that is donald trump made, personal attacks against her and her husband, reviving all of the issues of the sexual indiscretionless back in the 1990s. she said she won't get in that gutter but went on to say he uttered in her words very demeaning comments on women, immigrants, people with disabilities, on muslims. she's not going to respond to the allegations of the sexual
11:17 am
indiscretionles but going after him strongly on those issues. you heard her say that. >> that's right. chris asked her if she wanted to defend her husband's honor and respond to the things donald trump and the allies have been saying, personal attacks on her and their marriage and she said flatly, no. she also said this idea of a bully, right, essentially casting donald trump as a bully and said if you fight with a bully, sometimes you get pulled down to their level and then that you have to stand up to him. in her view, it looks like standing up to him means talking about policy and talking about some of the statements he has made castigating others, women or muslims or immigrants. so we'll see how long that lasts. her ability to essentially not engage with him on some of the more personal attacks that he's lobbed at her and her husband.
11:18 am
we'll see if that lasts. i thought in the end she tried to strike -- it was almost like a preview of what he might say as the nominee at a nominating convention. this idea of renewing america's promise and had flowery language at the end and kind of a soaring rhetoric that we hear from obama often but i think dana is right. i mean, she was -- you know, we always question whether or not she is going to be able to fight a two-front war against sanders and donald trump. today i think she showed that she can do that and we'll see how effective that is, particularly on the sanders front because we know that he, too, is very dogged and wanting to take it to the convention and doesn't seem to cool that heightened temperature and temperaments down. >> i want your assessment, gloria. i have no doubt donald trump will react to this, bernie sanders is going to react to this. what should we be bracing for? >> well, i think if you look at
11:19 am
the language, if we did a word cloud of hillary clinton today describing donald trump, these are some of the words i was writing down. offensive. dangerous. loose cannon and we have heard before. unmoored. not qualified. and fearmongering. okay? those are very, very strong words. against any opponent anywhere. i mean, i think this is sort of the toughest she has been as nia was saying. it's an indication of the tact to take against him, as she said to chris she doesn't want to deal with the personal stuff because it was very clear she didn't want to get into that level. clearly her superpac can do that for her. >> it is. >> and is doing it, right? >> right. >> what she wants to do is give people this sense that it is a
11:20 am
risk to vote for donald trump quhom she calls dangerous. so when you ask how donald trump will respond, i think he is going to counter it with and perhaps respond about her record as secretary of state and terror and on and on. >> and -- >> going into the e-mail controversy. >> right. >> already said she should be under arrest for all practical purposes and broke the law. even before what she said when she was asked by chris, do you think trump is qualified to be president of the united states. she immediately said, no. later he said i concluded he is not qualified to be president of the united states. >> exactly. look. the whole interview started with where the news is today. what happened in egypt. the plane that she said actually like trump said early this morning, it does appear to be an act of terrorism. i think she used that reminder, that horrible reminder that everybody around the world has right now about how unsafe the world is.
11:21 am
and kind of brought it back to her central thesis and don't want to trust it in the guy that used the adjectives that gloria just said and a specific incident where she was a part of that obama has been widely praised for, for actually getting osama bin laden and specifically saying she doesn't think that donald trump could have done that. so, you know, kind of, again, seizing on the moment of where we are in the world and the actual news and making it a -- giving a real life example. >> yeah. she expressed, nia, deep concern if he's president of the united states he's not able to deal with the kinds of major national security issues. what did you think of her answer when chris asked her, well, why do you think you can defeat donald trump with 16 other republicans there was a lot of personal attacks going back and forth and they were not able to do so.
11:22 am
>> she essentially said they weren't able to do so because they agreed with him. right? that whole idea that it's the party of trump, not the party of lincoln. and that they are essentially in agreement on things like abortion and i think, you know, a lot of those candidates now disagree with what she said. but i do think she is going to have some advantages here that the republicans didn't. one of which is real start policy disagreements and a preview of what they tried to do and fits and starts. and she's also going to have probably a billion dollars to do it over a sustained amount of time. so i did think, you know, that was an interesting answer. i do think the democrats are in a different place because they're not trying to kind of curry favor with the same voters necessarily that donald trump's opponents were trying to curry favor with in the republican party primary. >> and she also said, gloria, to add some of the words you mentioned earlier that trump was
11:23 am
incredibly wrong headed and a threat to our democracy and our economy. those are fighting words that i know donald trump, he's going to respond presumably in kind fairly soon. >> right. one other thing, wolf, though, she did when chris asked her on the outset on the question of terror and front and center today asda that pointed out, she's talking about intensifying the fight against isis because she knows she's going to be attacked on that front. and she also said in terms of nato, she did say we have to convince the europeans to do much more. when it comes to security. which is something donald trump has talked about. right? so it's clear to me as we listen to these interviews that we see the signposts of her responses to his attacks as well as her own attacks against him. and the way she's going to handle it and this notion of
11:24 am
risk at a time of danger in this country i think is going to be the key point of her campaign. >> dana, one of the things she also said as far as the war against terror and what happened today with egyptair if, in fact, it was a terror bomb that destroyed that aircraft with killing 66 people on board, he also made the point that what's going on in europe, she says, is her biggest terror concern. right now that it's getting closer and closer, leaving the middle east, going to europe and unstated fear is it could wind up here in the united states. >> sure. that's what everybody here fears. i do think that as much as it is her strength, in many ways that she was secretary of state and she is somebody who has the experience on the world stage, it's also potentially a negative. excuse me. because there are as chris pointed out in the questions, there are a lot of people asking why people feel so much less safe and why the u.s. does feel weaker since obama has been
11:25 am
president. the other thing i think she might get pushback on, wolf, is her saying that at this point there's been -- that al qaeda has been defeated in large measure. i'm not sure everybody would agree with this. >> yeah. they have mosul. >> exactly. >> isis has mosul. al qaeda still is out there, as well. all right. everyone, stand by. i want to thank gloria, dana and nia. coming up in the next hour, we'll speak to steven miller from the trump campaign ant hillary clinton saying donald trump is simply not qualified. her words. not qualified to be president of the united states. but first, the wreckage of egyptair flight 804, wreckage has been found floating on the mediterranean sea. u.s. officials say it was likely a bomb that took down the commercial aircraft. the latest on the investigation when our breaking news coverage continues right after this quick break. made a simple trip to the grocery store anything but simple. so i had an important conversation with my dermatologist about humira.
11:26 am
he explained that humira works inside my body to target and help block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to my symptoms. in clinical trials, most adults taking humira were clear or almost clear, and many saw 75% and even 90% clearance in just 4 months. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask about humira, the #1 prescribed biologic by dermatologists. clearer skin is possible.
11:27 am
11:28 am
11:29 am
11:30 am
all right. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. thank you so much for being with me. we're watching cnn's special coverage of what brought down egyptair flight 804. we can tell you that the families have just been told that the plane has crashed. the question at the moment was it terror? is jet vanishing with 66 people on board. more than 16 hours ago now. it traveled from paris enroute to cairo. we know radar contact lost two
11:31 am
minutes after crassing into egyptian air space and frantic search launched over the mediterranean sea. just short time ago we had a huge announcement from the vice president of egyptair right here on cnn. >> first 0 of all, our heart goes out for all the families and friends of all involved in this terrible incident. as i can tell you now that we have found the wreckage. we confirmed that the wreckage has been found and the search and rescue teams are now -- it's turning into a search and recovery. >> egypt says chances are the plane was brought down by terrorists and not a mechanical issue and the weather was clear at the time. greece saying the plane swerved before it plunged from 37,000 feet, the safest of cruising altitudes and we are now also getting word from u.s. officials saying that early theory is that the bomb indeed took the plane
11:32 am
down. for more on this revelation, let's go to evan perez. tell me why, evan, u.s. intel believes that was likely an act of terror. >> reporter: well, brooke, it's -- partly because of things they're not seeing. you know? this is one of a theory that's based really right now on a lack of information. they don't have a lot of information to go on. but i can tell you this. they've looked at the idea of perhaps some kind of mechanical failure and given the fact this is a fairly new aircraft, it appears very well maintained. the fact there was no s.o.s. no call for help from the aircraft this is a very sophisticated aircraft, very difficult i'm told by authorities that it's even difficult for someone to intentionally try to ditch it. the plane is designed to keep flying. certainl ll lly 37,000 feet the the expectation. there's suspicion because of the circumstances we're talking about. not only the security situation
11:33 am
in e gyp but the rise of an isis affiliate there, but also, the increased security concern in western europe. we have had multimillion terrorist attacks there and paris airport and it's viewed as a secure place but that is most likely where investigators are going to start. they'll start looking at the people who had access to this aircraft. people who are working on the ground there. and, frankly, the egyptians will have to take a closer look at the crew, the ten crew members who were on the plane and the three security officers and the two pilots on board and reviewing the flight manifest. we are told jim sciutto told by a security source that the u.s. has begun looking at the flight manifest and so far they have seen no red flags running the names against u.s. terror watch lists. and so one of the things now that has to happen is we have to recover the wreckage and begin searching for signs of perhaps a
11:34 am
bomb or if they can find the black boxes then they can perhaps hear conversations and see what might have been going on in that cockpit before this plane went down, brooke. >> yeah. according to the vp of egyptair, he believes they will pretty quickly find the flight data recorders. evan perez, thank you so much. let's bring in the panel of experts here. cnn aviation analyst, michael weiss, contributor and tim taylor, sea operations and president and ceo of tiberon and maria schiavo, air safety expert ohio university. and senior editor of the daily beast. mega panel. we immediate you all on a day like this. we'll talk with you and take a
11:35 am
break and continue the conversation. shawn, to you, first. a question i supposed to evan which is, you know, if there's not a smoking gun here with u.s. intel, why would the u.s. come out and say they believe it is likely a trough attack? they believe it is likely there was a bomb on the plane? >> well, you know, i think the reason somebody, you know, any government or any group would say that is because they have information that they're not sharing with us yet. that's a bold step to make that declaration and we are interested the see what they say to back that up. >> mary, to you, let's take this all back five steps. right? so we know this plane took off from paris enroute to cairo. before then, this was in africa. 24 hours before, tunisia and then according to the vice president of egyptair, a full sweep at charles de gaulle with
11:36 am
personnel on board, involving maintenance crews. what would the sweeps have entailed to make sure the plane was clean and good to go? >> well, you know, i just had one of my staff who's fluent in french translate the reports on the sweep and here's what happened. so after the attacks and about the time of the attacks in paris and brussels last year, they went into the airport and they searched the lockers and searched the lockers looking for terrorist-related materials. of course, the airport, the workers in the secure areas had had a background check. the background check consisted of them checking with local or provincial, local authorities. it doesn't say they ever did a background check, for example, using interpol or any checking against any international lists of suspected terrorists, et cete cetera. so they looked and searched in the airport lockers to see if anyone brought terrorist
11:37 am
materials to the airport and they were stripped of security badges but if they worked for a sub con track, the airport is ran friday adp, not ours but a french company, and if the companies of sub con trackers had jobs outside the secure areas, they had to be given jobs in the nonsecure areas and not all fired which is shocking development. >> wow. let's come back to that. i remember being in paris last fall and this was an issue. fears of radicalization within some of these, you know, airport and public transportation personnel. that's been an issue for a couple of years. juliet, let me pick up off of something that shawn mentioned off the top. talking terrorism and a possible bomb, according to the u.s., you know, he made the point that the u.s. authorities must have some kind of information that the rest of us don't have to make such a bold declaration. what kind of information could that be? >> i'm not convinced that they have new information but
11:38 am
let's -- there's a world of the obvious explanation and there's only a limited number of explanations for why a plane falls out of the sky. mechanical failure, pilot error or a disruption. and so, given that a lot of the data suggests something very catastrophic happened, there's no s.o.s. no bad weather, the plane is erratic at last moments, that suggests something purposeful happened and given the threat environment we are in it is not a huge jump to say it might be terrorism but what we have to be clear is whatever we're hearing all pieces of that investigation are going forward equally. in other words, we don't want to close off anything because we may miss something. most important thing is picking up on what mary said, the planes have to keep flying. right in they have to be safe and can't close airport, all these airplanes and while you figure this out. that's what's going on right now in terms of the three pieces of that investigation. >> all right.
11:39 am
let's bring in our 777 pilot, les, as we talk about the twists and turns, right, so the flight appeared normal as it was cleaving greek air space and athens trying to communicate with the pilots before switching to cairo and went from 37,000 some point and then 15,000 to 10,000. planes don't just drop out of the air. made twists and turns. 90 one way, 360 the other. how do you read owl that have? >> gut reaction, brooke, is not -- something catastrophic happened. what caused it? i'm not ready to say terrorism. but i mean, there's a lot that leads to that. by virtue of the fact, yes, not a lot of other information out there and seemed like a normal flight, communications and so on and so forth. an airbus, i'm not sure where the data is coming from. is it radar data from the last minute or pieces of that
11:40 am
airplane coming down? if it was a whole, intact airplanes making the turns, very erratic and a very difficult to do and systems designed in the airplane to prevent the pilot from for instance overbanking the aircraft. >> if you look at the tick tock, 1:48 in the morning, the pilot checked in with greece and described as cheerful. fast forward, athens contacted the pilots. didn't respond. what would protocol be in that time and that time is significant? >> well, it's significant -- i mean, it may or may not be from the standpoint of there was s g nothing else going on. they knew they would go to the next boundary. >> cruising along presumably fine. >> until -- until whatever happened. we an air asia flight and weather had a lot to do with it but the crew reacted unfortunately not appropriately to what the airplane was doing and the airplane fell out of the
11:41 am
sky because of a stall as a result of a mechanical issue. we don't know yet. we are trying to draw ma pa ra lels and let's take it a step at a time. even an a potential explosive device, there's got to be something different about how did it get there and where did it get on the airplane if that occurred? but, you know, that drop in altitude plus that -- the turn, the 360 and so on. >> suspicious? >> well, i mean, that's pretty radical. pretty radical for an airliner. >> charles de gaulle. many of us have flown in and out of paris. in the wake of what happened in paris last fall and then brussels in year and also to mary's point about -- i think like 4,000 lockers looked into within personnel. tell me more about the airport. >> security amplified particularly after the paris airport. my colleague lives in paris and flew out of there very recently
11:42 am
to come to new york and said the security protocols like never before. >> really? >> look, again. this is all speculation and let's not jump to conclusions but if it was an act of terrorism, a bomb, chances are strong it was placed from charles de gaulle airport and in that instance, look, what are we talking about here? a passenger through the security checkpoints? possibly with a clothing. remember the group in syria? u.s. going after them saying these guys were trying to smuggle clothing, shirts, doused in an explosive chemical and debt them on board. could it have been a device? >> sharm el sheikh. >> if that's the case, then charles de gaulle is infiltrated by terrorists. people working in the airport as flight crew or i think the pilot is unlikely given the cheerful mood as they say. this is a dreedful state of affairs and i feel to say i reported a few weeks ago the new
11:43 am
head of isis' foreign intelligence, there are four branches they use like security service modeled on arab regimes. the new head is a french national. he was born in paris. he's of north african descent. this comes from a guy who def t defected from isis via informants in the organization. isis is leaning heavy on the europization of their foreign operations, not just looking to attack the west but make native sons of west, people in belgium and france, great britain, and germany, senior ranking officials to perpetrate and plan the kinds of attacks and not implausible to me, brooke, this could well have been somebody born in france and working for the airline or the airport and then some way managed to do this assumes it was an act of terror. >> we have a correspondent at charles de gaulle. atika shubert is standing by.
11:44 am
can you talk about the current state of security with the plane disappearance and crash? and also, to the point of radicalization of, you know, airport personnel over the years there. >> reporter: absolutely. this is a problem that the paris investigators have been looking at now for years. but more recently in december. they actually released dozens of people from their jobs both here at the charles de gaulle airport and at another airport for fears that they may be linked to radical islamists. took away security access. that is concern and since the terror attacks in november and the brussels attacks, they stepped up security quite a bit even today now we have seen armed security patrolling the airport, making spot checks of passengers. so the airport is at its highest state of alert. operating as normal and absolutely a security concern here and charles de gaulle with
11:45 am
some of the tightest security in western europe but, you know, short of sealing, you know, sealing off the airport and doing security checks a mile away there is no way to 100% secure an airport, brooke. >> atika shubert, thank you so much. we'll check back with you and continuing the breaking covering of the disappearance, the crash of egyptair flight 804 in the mediterranean sea in just a moment. (vo) whatever your perfect temperature... you'll enjoy consistent comfort with the heating and air conditioning systems homeowners rank number one.
11:46 am
american standard heating and air conditioning. a higher standard of comfort. [man] hello,totten designs. sales department? yes...i can put you right through. ♪ sales department-this is nate. human resources. technical support. hold, please. [announcer]you work hard to grow your business. [man] yes. i can totally do that for you. [announcer] working together, we can help your business thrive. wells fargo. together we'll go far.
11:47 am
11:48 am
11:49 am
this is all just so entirely still a tragic mystery here. what has happened, why did this plane, egyptair flight 804 paris to cairo about 16, 17 hours ago, why did it go missing and crash ultimately just off of one of the greek islands in the middle of the mediterranean sea? headlines before i bring in the panel. the headline from the vice
11:50 am
president of egyptair himself saying and i quote we have found the wreckage. describing it now as search and recovery. clear not to say rescue and recovery. and also, from our chief nation national security correspondent jim sciutto, no watch list hits. all 66 people gone presumably here. tim taylor is here with us. mary sky voluntary and les abend and michael weiss. tim, to you first. just when we talk about and we hear wreckage is found off of this greek island, what are the first few steps for these folks who are in the waters recovering whatever the wreckage is? >> well, looking at the water in an area, it's extremely deep. you can be 10,000 feet, 3,000
11:51 am
meters of water. i'm assuming it's floating wreckage and haven't deployed any vehicles or equipment to search for the main wreckage which would most likely contain the pingers, the black boxes, that type of thing. so wreckage on the surface is just that. collect as much as you can. obviously, human remains are the priori priority. but every piece of a -- of wreckage that you can find is a key to the puzzle. and where it's found, how it's found is logged and recorded and all real part of the forensic process. >> let's be specific on some of the wreck an here. again, the u.s. is saying they believe it's likely it was terrorism. they believe it was a bomb on board the plane. when you are an investigator and looking very, very closely at this wreckage, what are you looking for? what hints are you looking for? what pieces of evidence to
11:52 am
determine it was, in fact, a bomb? >> well, i'll speak from my point because i'm not a forensic investigator and doing searches for equipment and assets on the bottom for the military and civilian. and when you do that, every, everywhere that equipment lays and how it lays is a part of the clue. that is reverse process of what went wrong and from a forensic standpoint, blew up and the edges and those are all important but how they land and where they land and how far away dispersed and is all part of the puzzle and it's an archaeological dig. you're taking all these parts and reconstructing back to what we know was the known form of the plane before something happened to it. >> shawn, same question to you on the forensics here. >> yeah. so, you know, obviously all the explanations are still on the table. all the possiblies.
11:53 am
but when's going to happen early on is we need to recover as much wreckage as we can off the surface. just because it's floating now doesn't mean it's floating in a day. the priority is to unfortunately, you know, retrieve any human remains that are found but get that wreckage on board before we lose it and from that one of the first things they'll do exespecially with the whole explosive device theory leading the way at the moment is swabbing and sampling that wreckage to look for trace residue of explosive material. but it's more than just looking at -- for the explosive residue, but also, the wreckage tells a story. the parts of the airplane, sometimes you can on the surface find parts of the airplane that show bomb damage quite directly and answer that question fairly early on. gather everything you can and start testing for the materials. >> so that's the forensics part.
11:54 am
juliet, what about, you know, when we're talking about who was on board, all kinds of different nationalities, majority i want to say 30 egyptians, 50 french and then others. we know that the vice president of egyptair they would likely release the names of the passengers by the end of the night tonight and we know that they have -- u.s. is working with other countries to figure out the hits with the terror watch list. that's come up clean. what do you make of that? >> well, passenger -- the passengers on this flight, what we knew about them would suggest is innocent or they didn't bring anything on at least knowingly. and look. this process of passenger manifest sharing of information is very quick. over the course of several hours everyone, every country will be able to figure it out. who's on the flight and whether there's background, known background or nefarious activity
11:55 am
against them. there's also, of course, the employees of the egyptair on the flight. there's been discussion about these three security officials. based on my experience, my guess is one if not two of them getting a ride back from paris to ki are. >> you hear three of them with 60. i didn't know if that was a high number. >> no, no. just a way that arab airlines throughout the world move people around. pilots will get stuck in a city and need to go to another city and we'll find out whether they were on duty or not in due time. one thing is because there's no u.s. citizen, the united states would have no legal or even moral jurisdiction at this stage. we can offer assistance in terms of intelligence and our assets at least in the mediterranean sea but this is egypt. essentially egypt's and then paris' alone. >> we know that the u.s. navy is offering, i believe, they're
11:56 am
sending in an orion to help, as well. we'll take a quick break. our special news coverage on this egyptair flight 804 next. ♪ amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. it's the semi-annual sale! save $500 on the memorial day special edition mattress with sleepiq technology. know better sleep. only at a sleep number store.
11:57 am
11:58 am
11:59 am
perfect driving record. >>perfect. no tickets. no accidents... >>that is until one of you clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record. >>yup... now, you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? >>no. your insurance rates go through the roof. your perfect record doesn't get you anything. >>anything. perfect! for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claim centers are available to assist you 24/7. for a free quote, call liberty mutual at switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509
12:00 pm
call today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. that can camp out in between our teeth, if we'll let it. use gum® brand. soft-picks®. proxabrush® cleaners. flossers and dental floss. gum® brand. hi there. i'm brooke baldwin. thank you so much for being with me on this thursday. major breaking news on two stories today. we'll get you back to the presumed -- disappearance of the presumed bombing of an egyptair flight in a moment. first to hillary clinton's exclusive interview with cnn live moments ago. democratic front-runner weighed in on the airplane crash and in the process says her republican rival the presumed nominee
12:01 pm
donald trump is not qualified to be president. listen now to secretary clinton's exact words and why she came to that conclusion. >> do you think donald trump is qualified to be president? >> no, i do not. and i think in this past week whether it's attacking great britain, praising the leader of north korea, a despotic dictator who has nuclear weapons, whether it is saying pull out of nato, let other countries have nuclear weapons, the kinds of positions he is stating and the consequences of those positions and even the consequences of his statements are not just dangerous -- >> politicians talk, madame secretary. they say things and then get in office people believe nothing will be that different. >> well, when you run for president of the united states, the entire world is listening and watching.
12:02 pm
so when you say, we're going to bar all muslims, you are sending a message to the muslim world and you're also sending a message to the terrorists because we now do have evidence, we have seen how donald trump is being used to essentially be a recruiter for more people to join the cause of terrorism. so, i think if you go through many of his irresponsible, reckless, dangerous comments, it's not just somebody saying something off the cuff. we all misstate things and may not be as careful phrasing what we say. this is a pattern, a pattern going on now for months. and it's a pattern that adds up in my opinion having watched presidents, having seen the incredibly difficult work that they do and the decisions that they have to make, the thinking
12:03 pm
that goes in sitting in the situation room, do we go after bin laden or not? i was part of that. was it a clear, easy choice? of course not. did it have to be carefully parsed and analyzed and then we gave our opinions but it was up to the president to decide. i know how hard this job is. and i know that we need steadiness as well as strength and smarts in it. and i have concluded he's not qualified to be president of the united states. >> you don't think donald trump could make that call in that room about whether or not to go after bin laden? >> based on what we know now, he could make it perhaps on evidence that wasn't clear, he could say a lot of things that might have given notice. i mean, you just based on the way he has behaved and spoken and the policies she has literally thrown out there, i think it adds up to a very troubling picture. all right. with that, we'll play more of
12:04 pm
the interview with a minute. let's bring in chief washington correspondent jake tapper. jake tapper, we remember senator sanders got a lot of backlash of the same statement of hillary clinton. how is clinton saying this about donald trump any different? >> well, it's very different, of course, when a democrat says it about a democrat versus a democrat saying it about a republican. there's certain intraparty rules and traditions in terms of not saying anything that might disqualify somebody in your own party from the position. but another point i'd like to make, brooke, is i asked secretary clinton that same exact question at the end of april. do you think donald trump is qualified to be president? and she gave the traditional politician cop-out answer of, well, this's up to the voters to decide. i'm going to focus on my own qualifications. >> not today. >> no. so, this says to me that there's been a change in strategy and a change in how seriously she is
12:05 pm
going to try to disqualify him. if three weeks ago she wasn't willing to say that, something has changed today when she gave a very, very forceful answer. now, some of the things she referred to, north korea and the comments donald trump made about meeting with kim jong-un, they had not happened when i did the interview, most of them, the proposed muslim ban -- >> the fact he's a presumed nominee, this's a difference, as well. >> i mean, yes. but it was clear three months ago that donald trump was going to be the nominee. >> yeah. >> you could say that, yes -- no, no. you know what? no. when i interviewed her it was right after -- before indiana but it was right after donald trump declared himself the presumptive nominee. >> i see. >> that really hasn't changed so much. what it says to me is looking at the polls, they're seeing that this is going to be perhaps a
12:06 pm
tougher fight and either through instinct or through some sort of polling and focus group work, the democrats have suggested, this is speculation by me, but the democrats decided think need to really try to disqualify him as even up to the task saying it's up to voters will not be a strong enough answer. >> so she gave the strong answer on saying that she doesn't believe he will make -- qualified to be president and then talked about donald trump. let's bray another clip, secretary clinton, how she sees her position in the race and what she expects from senator sanders. >> you get into the general election. if you're the nominee for your party. >> i will be the nominee for my party, chris. that's already done in effect. there's no way i won't be. >> there's a senator of vermont who has a different take on that. >> well -- >> he says he'll fight to the end. there seems to be a change here as donald trump is trying to galvanize his party and the democratic party seems to be
12:07 pm
going the other way. his supporters have become more aggressive. feeling that the system is rigged against the senator. we saw what happened in nevada. when you saw that, did you believe that sanders responded the right way to that situation? >> well, i was very disturbed by what went on there. >> with him or the supporters? >> what we saw there. we saw there. >> the supporters? >> what we saw is disturbing. i have every confidence we're going to be unified. i understand -- >> where's that confidence come from? >> in part my own experience. i went all the way to the end against then senator obama. i won nine out of the last 12 contests back in '08. i won indiana, kentucky, west virginia. so i know the intense feelings that arise, particularly among your supporters as you go toward the end. but we both were following the same rules just as both senator
12:08 pm
sanders and i are following the same rules and i'm 3 million votes ahead of him and i have an insurmountable lead in pledge delegates and i'm confident that just as i did with senator obama, where i said, you know what? it was really close. much closer. much closer than it is between me and senator sanders right now. >> votes-wise? >> yeah. vote-wise and delegate-wise. i said, in fact, if you -- it, i had more popular votes and depending on how you evaluate it, i had more popular votes and fewer delegates. the name of the game is the delegates you have. right? when i came out and withdrew and endorsed senator obama, about 40% according to polls, about 40% of my supporters said they would never support him. so i worked really hard to make the case as i'm sure senator sanders will that whatever differences we might have, they pale in comparison to the presumptive nominee of the
12:09 pm
republican party, name an issue you care about, domestic or international, and we are closer, senator sanders supporters and mine, than either of us is with donald trump. >> why don't you reach out directly to senator sanders and do the work of reunification of the party, however you want to see it? i ask this because senator sanders said to me in the past and to many others, it is not my job to get my supporters to vote for hillary clinton. clinton has to make the case and given what you are seeing with the increase of hostility and antagonism on the democratic side, should you reach out to bernie sanders and say, let's start doing this the right way? let me start talking to the supporters. have you done that? have you thought of doing that? >> i've said many times what i've just said to everyone including his supporters. i am absolutely committed to doing my part, more than my
12:10 pm
part. but senator sanders has to do his part. that's why the lesson of 2008 which was a hard-fought primary as you remember, is so pertinent here. because i did my part. but so did senator obama. he made it clear he welcomed people who had supported me. >> faper, i want your reaction to that. she went out of her way to talk about the unify when they were in unity, new hampshire. what do you make of that exchange? >> well, i wonder if she and senator sanders are talking at all. i mean, that's what exchange is because, look -- >> do you think they are based upon that exchange? >> no, i don't. >> no. >> based on that. because that seemed to be her conveying a message to bernie sanders and it was not necessarily a message of outreach to sanders supporters. a little bit there was. in terms of how they're more
12:11 pm
similar to one another than to donald trump. although, one could argue that bernie sanders and donald trump are more similar on issues like trade and on at least rhetorically on corruption and big money in washington but putting that aside, it wasn't a let's come together and unite and fight. it was a message of this is what i did when i was in bernie sanders' shoes and this is how we made it work and the two of us are going to need to do this together. but it wasn't -- it seemed to be very directed at bernie sanders. that's my interpretation. >> okay. jake tapper, we'll look for you at the top of the hour. we'll see you on "the lead." thank you, my friend. >> thank you. chris cuomo there asked much more of secretary clinton and how to respond to personal attacks from donald trump.
12:12 pm
>> you know where donald trump going. he started and adapted the go ugly mentality. your response has been i'm not going there. >> right. >> i'm going to stay above it. the risk is that that's what jeb bush said. that's what others said. and the stink wound up sticking to them. are you concerned that by ignoring the attacks they become more powerful? >> no. i'm not because i think people can judge his campaign for what it is. i'm going to run my campaign. i'm not so much running against him as i am running for the kind of future that i think america deserves to have and that i believe i'm the best candidate to deliver. that's why i tack about education and health care, how we'll bring the country together. i have a lot of experience working across the aisle with republicans. i did it as first lady, senator, secretary of state. i'm very confident that we're going to lay out my record of
12:13 pm
accomplishments, my ideas, my vision for the future. he can say whatever he wants to say but i think in every election people want to know what will you do tomorrow? what's the future going to look like if i entrust you with this most solemn responsibility? and that's exactly the kind of campaign i am running and i intend to keep running. >> joining me now, steven miller, senior adviser to donald trump and a top aide to senator jeff sessions, a trump ally. steven, nice to have you here. >> thank you for having me. >> let's begin with the top headline out of the interview that hillary clinton says your guy is not qualified to be president. i want your response. >> we obviously agree with bernie sanders that hillary clinton isn't qualified to be president. but i have to say honestly i feel bad for bernie sanders supporters. i'll tell you why. thanks to super delegates, the democratic party is on the verge of nominating the most pro-war, pro-wall street lawmaker in the
12:14 pm
modern history of the democratic party. that's amazing. think about it. you have a candidate in hillary running on a pro-war platform about what she did in libya, doing in syria, about the toppling of the egyptian regime and the military took back control. who's running on a pro-wall street, pro-war agenda. that's not the right fit. >> i don't want to argue benghazi with you. whether or not she thinks donald trump is qualified, can you directly respond? >> bernie sanders is correct and hillary clinton is not correct. >> do you think hillary clinton is qualified to be president? >> of course not. hillary clinton went to judgment in iraq. the decisions in libya unleashed an operating base for isis that will be a scourge of terrorism against the western world. hillary clinton's platform is i want to start wars in the middle east and then import the refugees into the united states and other countries without knowing who they are.
12:15 pm
that's a recipe for disaster. >> what about how she is criticizing donald trump on how he's praising a dictator kim jong-un and criticizing a long-time ally in the uk? >> donald trump's position on britain is that we want a strong britain. we want a britain this stands up for british values and that message we'll find a great partner in the british people and whatever government leads the british people. in the case of foreign dictators, hillary clinton's basically saying stay the course. if you elect me on every policy that hasn't worked, i el do that same thing. wl wall or foreign policy. can anybody say that north korea policy is working? >> why does he want to sit down with a dictator? >> anybody that looks at the middle east and who looks at the asian relationships and the
12:16 pm
foreign policies say this is perfect i have to disagree. he talked about with china using economic leverage to get them to come into line but this is an unmitigated disaster. >> what about -- >> clinton's the reason, by the way, clinton's the reason why, bill clinton is why north korea's nuclear. let's not forget that. >> what about the egypt plane that went down in the immediate train sea? very quickly, before the u.s. said it's likely terror, donald trump tweeted it looks like terrorism. you know, hillary clinton in the interview pain stakingly pointing out when she was involved in the situation room and part of the team to make the decision to take up on bin laden she wasn't sure that donald trump would have made the right decision. looking at the quick tweet, one could say that that is a
12:17 pm
whiplash response. what's to say he wouldn't have whiplash responses if in the white house? >> donald trump saying the same thing that the intelligence experts are saying. >> hours before. that's the point. >> saying that donald trump is press cent and saw it before others saw it? that's a compliment. just like warning about bin laden and iraq and the wisdom in favor of the intervention like hillary clinton. clinton, bill, had a chance to get bin laden and he didn't take it. >> i'm talking about hillary clinton. >> she said that she put bill clinton in charge of the economy. right? bill clinton gave us nafta. destroyed our middle class. bill clinton put china and the world trade organization. the worst strategic blunder anyone can remember and keep in mind hillary clinton was secretary of state and she was the top diplomat dealing with china. what happened when trade deficits of china, getting the wall street friends rich and lost our middle class. that's the clinton legacy.
12:18 pm
offshoring and foreign wars. >> she said she's happy to attack wack on issues of that trump said about nato, nukes around the world and kim jong-un but on the personal attacks, mr. trump said she was an enabler of her husband's infidelities more than once. she said she won't attack back in that regard. how much more aggressive will your campaign be? >> i think a lot more aggressive and you will see an increasing -- >> on the personal attacks? >> on every kind of attack. hillary clinton would be an extroid nay lir dangerous person to put in the white house. we can't afford keep having these foreign wars in the middle east. hillary clinton is a candidate of reckless war and foreign intervention. what we are going to do instead is focus on defeating terrorism and if that means working with countries in the middle east that don't share our values but do share our goal of eliminating terrorists, th s that's what we.
12:19 pm
working with the arab partners to destroy terrorism and hillary clinton won't say the words radical islam, even as she's going to flood them into the communities, refugees whose backgrounds we don't know and not safe and compassionate. you want to talk about the woman vote, an issue facing moms across the country is the quality of education. our schools cannot afford to educate the world's refugees. >> okay, okay, okay. i know that the clinton camp would take issue with a number of things you have thrown out. you're entitled to your opinion. thank you. >> thank you. quick programming note. you watch the exclusive full interview with hillary clinton tonight at 9:00 eastern only here on cnn. we are back now with the breaking news coverage into
12:20 pm
egyptair flight 804 and we can now tell you has crashed into the mediterranean sea. search crews finding wreckage, life jackets and plastic floating near where the plane vanished and the suspicion it was brought down by an act of terror. the jet vanishing the 66 350e78 on board traveling from paris to cairo. radar contact lost two minutes after crossing from greek air space. the egyptian government, the first to suggest terror is behind this crash. >> if you analyze the situation properly, the possibility of having a different action or having a terror attack is higher than the possibility of having a technical -- >> greece specifically saying the plane swerved before it plunged from 37,000 feet. that is the safest of cruising altitudes and now word as well
12:21 pm
from officials saying the early there ory is a bomb took down t plane. justice cent, evan perez, we know that the u.s. is sharing the watch list and what about the likely of terrorism here? >> brooke, that's the top theory right now. that's, again, only a theory. simply because we're still early if the process and the investigation. the u.s. is hoping to get the representatives over there to help assist the e vip snan-led investigation with the french authorities and very little information to go on right now. they're not ruling out certainly any mechanical incident that could have wrought this down but based on the circumstances here, we're looking at an airport flying at 37,000 feet as we said repeatedly on the air. it's one of the safest times for an aircraft. modern aircraft with a lot of redundancies and something going wrong the pilots would have had
12:22 pm
time to say something was going wrong. if there was a hijacking attempt, three security officers on this aircraft according to the egyptian authorities. again, they would have had sometime to try to raise the alert that something was going wrong. none of this occurred and again that's one reason why authorities are focusing on the possibility of terrorism and perhaps a bombing incident to bring down the aircraft. that's focus on many parts of this. where would the bomb have been placed and first suspicion to lie with the ground, the people with access on the ground in charles de gaulle airport in paris. this is an airport with a very good reputation, certainly u.s. carriers have a lot of security precautions there but there's been some recent incidents that french authorities have talked about including revoking security passes for a number of workers there because of their concern that they were affiliated with extremists or islamists and part of the
12:23 pm
picture here and a concern about the rise of isis in egypt as well as the threat, the threat picture that's emerging in western europe. we have a couple of terrorist attacks there in the last couple of months so that's the picture that the u.s. authorities are all looking at. they're still scrubbing the manifest as you said. names have been run against some of the watch lists that are available to authorities not only in western europe but here in the united states. so far, no red flags have emerged but that work is still on going and looking through the names and check every single person who had access to this airport in paris and elsewhere before it took this flight from paris to cairo, brooke. >> all right. evan perez, excellent information. thank you so much. let's bring in paul cruikshank. paul, you know, i heard you earlier making this point that terror groups, if, in fact, go with u.s. intelligence saying, likely terror.
12:24 pm
likely a bomb. that terror groups are eager to recruit airport insiders like what happened with sharm el sheikh last year. correct? >> they certainly are. especially because state of the art detection centers at airports and france are pretty good at detecting explosives and it's very, very difficult to beat them. and so, one of the ways that terrorist groups are looking to beat them is by recruiting insiders. isis especially has been trying to do this because it's not developed the same kind of technologies, innovative techniques that al qaeda have. they recruited an insider in that state and inserted a very small device on a plane. one of the things the investigation is going to look at if this is terrorism and insiders at charles de gaulle airport in france or elsewhere
12:25 pm
in the 24 hours before this plane arrived in paris and in several parts of the middle eastern africa including cairo, tunisia and whether possibly somebody at the airports might have been able to put a device on board and when it comes to developing world, brooke, the standards really have lagged behind those in the west in terms of state of the art machines in terms of training and protocols to protect against the insider threat. and some of these devices can be very, very small. the device that took over the metrojet allegedly the size of an schwepps soft drink can and you could think it's something to be able to hide on an aircraft and perhaps not all the sweeps to find something if they put it on board. >> all right. paul, that's a lot of information.
12:26 pm
we'll take it and run with it. thank you so much. i have more great voices to bring in. analyst justin green with me here in new york. christine dennyson can talk to us about the mediterranean sea right now and mike baker with us, as well. talking more on the terror angle. let's just begin, justin, with you. i think just on the -- as a pilot, too, from a aif yigs perspective, when you hear this plane cruising along at 37,000 feet and some point and maybe the timing and the geography is significant, athens wanted to check in with the pilots before cairo, this happened right around that time. twists, 90 degrees one way, 360 another. does anything jump out hearing those details? >> no. just that the plane is out of control. obviously, from when the airplane started those turns, pilots were not controlling the airplane. >> no distress call, no kind of
12:27 pm
s.o.s. and 90 seconds. athens trying to talk to the pilots. ing in. >> right. right now, everyone's kind of looking at the tea leaves. we're dealing with circumstantial evidence. the fact that there was not a radio call, the fact that the track was so abrupt and so sudden and we're trying to figure out theories and apparently the u.s. and egypt have seized on this terrorist theory. i think probably too soon to -- >> you do think? >> to throw that in. i forget who said it. you ve to keep everything on the table. you got to look at the pilots, lock at the possibility of terrorism. you got the look at the airplane. all of that has to be considered. >> mike baker, though, on the terror angle. hearing that the u.s. is saying it's likely. is it possible that the u.s. has a technology that we don't know about for them to jump out and say, likely terrorism? likely a bomb? >> well, saying likely and
12:28 pm
anonymous people saying, you know, and then caveating. right? so the unsatisfying truth with all the incidents is to let the information play out. we have a desire to get immediate answers and that's not the way these things work. there's a difference of speculation and investigation for a reason. you have to follow the protocols. everybody's doing everything. you are looking at mechanic kl failure. you are looking at the security issues and those follow certain steps. really nothing new under the sun coming to what you have to do for this. tearing apart the passengers on there and understanding exactly who's on the plane and associations and past activity and all the people with access. third party providers and others with access to the plane in the previous stops to try to understand who that might be. are there problems? looking at communications and chatter. was there anything out there in the world talking about this potential plane or a tar getting 0 of a plane in the region? >> i think what happened with sharm el sheikh last year and the bomb the size of a soda can
12:29 pm
and the infiltration of the airport there. and we know the flight crashing off massachusetts. you know? still now egypt isn't fully saying the co-pilot and the evidence is sort of insurmountable. christine, i promise i'm coming to you but would the u.s. have a technology that's different for us to say, a-ha? >> this is probably better for mike but in malaysia airline 17 they have imagery to convince them of an explosion and the airplane shot down in that case and may be something and what they're saying is that, look, this is just speculation at this point. and they're saying, cruiseality tuld, not usually risky. they don't have a problem with the airplane they're aware of. all of that suggests and an immediate event, a terrible what seems to be an immediate event and i think that's -- i would
12:30 pm
call it speck ligs at this point. >> here's what we know. the wreckage is found and looking at you saying direct to christiane amanpour of the vice president of egyptair and happened to be a co-pilot with the pie lot of the plane and said he was nothing other than a consummate professional. when's happening in the sea right now with these teams in terms of forensics and piecing it altogether? >> well, you have everybody, you know, all hands on deck at the moment. and what they're looking for initially is this debris field or this debris floating that what i have seen and visual and looking to find bodies, unfortunately, pieces of bodies. parts of the wreck, parts of anything that looks like it would belong to a plane. this is a very heavily trafficked ear wharea, as well. it's scattered throughout the area and the ocean floor, as well. >> would it be floating?
12:31 pm
i'm thinking, where is the flight data recorder. >> the tail. >> parts are plastic, i know. >> back in the tail. >> back in the tail. so, would that be floating? understand it's part of the sea is very, very deep. >> could be. but most likely it would have sunk. >> okay, okay. we'll take a quick break. we have more and take you to the airport in cairo. we have a correspondent there who's live. we continue our special breaking news coverage of the crash of this egyptair flight 804. back in a moment. with the ultimate high potency probiotic,
12:32 pm
12:33 pm
12:34 pm
12:35 pm
life feels a little lighter, livelier, a little more you. ultimate flora probiotics. welcome back. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. a sad story really to report today and a mystery and potential terrorism as far as when's happened with this
12:36 pm
egyptair flight 804 that's crashed in the mediterranean sea after taking off in paris enroute to cairo. here's what we know. they have found the wreckage. there one of the greek islands there in the middle of the mediterranean. this is now a search and recovery effort. and according to folks, cnn teams are talking to, you know, looking through the passenger manifest and names and cross referencing those with any sort of terrorist watch list, nothing abnormal on those. 66 people on flight with the crew and u.s. intelligence saying and we don't know why but likely terrorism. they believe it's likely this a bomb was on board that plane. let me first go to the senior international correspondent arwa damon there in egypt. arwa, question twofold. one, what is the latest that
12:37 pm
egypt is saying as far as where the investigation stands and, two, the families, are they notified right now? >> reporter: well, we really hope that they are being notified. now they were in the building behind where we are standing right now for most of the day. and they've since been moved on to hotels where the immediate why's not being facilitated access to them. you know, throughout the day, when our other teams were here, they were telling us about how the families were coming through. initially in shock. but holding on to some sort of hope that maybe this worst-case scenario was not what was going to end up materializing, maybe there was a slight chance that perhaps their loved ones could still be alive. that does not seem to be the case at this stage. and we do believe that, yes, the families are being updated on a fairly regular basis and as they
12:38 pm
were leaving, some of them wanting to speak to the media, many of them breaking down trying to do so and some of them very angry at the fact that they said that they had been receiving enough information and that their questions aren't being answered, of course, questions many of us, first and foremost, what happened and what went wrong? now, egyptian authorities saying that they believe that they have found what could be in the wording of the statement makes it seem as if some part of wreckage may not have been found just yet but what could be at least a portion of the wreckage of this plane. it it disappeared from radar shortly after crossing from greek into egyptian waters. plummeting fairly quickly before completely disappearing off the radar. now, it's not u.s. officials who are leaning towards the scenario that this may have been terrorism. but egyptian ones, as well, with the country's civil aviation
12:39 pm
minister saying he at least believes when welcoming at all of the bits and pieces of information that are at hand that this was more likely to be an act of terrorism than any sort of technical failure, brooke. >> hmm. arwa damon, we'll follow your reporting closely on the investigation and so importantly the families. thank you so much. live in cairo. let me bring in additional voices. seth kaplan, managing partner of airline weekly, cnn aviation analyst and fred tici. seth, let's begin with you here and talk about the history of egyptair an you're unique from the fact you trained some egyptair employees or you taught a number of courses. you know about the planes. tell me about egyptair. >> i know the airline quite well. i'm on the commercial size but on the courses were pilots who were there to learn more about
12:40 pm
aviation management. so yeah. i've been to the training center there. you know, within their region, they're very well regarded. this is an airline that one hand, you know, looks up to some others around the world. law th lufthansa brought them in the western world with united airlines. a member of the star alliance. but within the middle east, they're an airline that helps train others. and yeah. i mean, certainly being on the ground there, you know, you get every impression that this is a professional airline. meeting the pilots, people you would feel very comfortable floiifloi i flying on an airline commanded by them. >> mary, sort of i'm wondering as we have talked a bit about, you know, concerns over personnel, specifically at charles de gaulle and thousands of lockers looked into and i
12:41 pm
believe the other airports and a number of people let go from their jobs because of security concerns. that said, who would have had access, if we go with the potential bomb theory as the plane was, you know, getting scrubbed before taking off for cairo, who would have access to that plane other than, you know, the pilots, the crew? >> well, and anyone working at the airport. now, everybody's talking about the enhanced security measures and there are a lot of different ones. i think it is important to talk about where they came from. back in july of 2014, enhanced security measures were put in place for planes bound for the u.s. at the u.s. demand out of paris because the u.s. intelligence had indicated this aqap had developed explosives that were very difficult to detect in security. so the enhanced measures where you check the plane, the bathrooms, the cargo holds, seal off all the various bins and
12:42 pm
cupboards on the plane, those don't apply to all planes across the board. this plane would have received the overnight check, the bins, the trash bins and the carts on the plane and making routes in the day, a walk around and anyone loading the plane at the various airports, anyone performing catering or cleaning, there are literally hundreds of persons that would have touched that plane during the day. so, you know, and a plane is, you know, basically a ticking time bomb. anything put on that plane that's not been taken off flies to the various airports and some of the enhanced security starting in 2014 aimed to planes for the u.s. this plane might not have gotten the enhanced security. >> brooke, by the way, you mentioned flight 990, obviously, one of the worst incidents in
12:43 pm
the history of that airline. >> yeah. >> my mind goes to an incident that i think everybody remembers about a decade before that, 1988, pan am flight 103. don't forget that was one where, yeah, it took off from london heathrow, the bomb by all appearances placed aboard in malta. made a stop in frankfurt before going to heathrow and then obviously we all know what happened over lockerbie, scotland. there is precedent 0 of that and thinking of developing world airports, a bomb going off if that's what happened here, this would be the first major incident of that since then. a plane leaving a place like par nis that case and left london, of course. >> no. i'm glad you brought that out. 24 hours prior this plane was both in africa and also in tunisia. >> yeah. >> as others pointed out, takes a couple of ounces of an explosive for a catastrophic
12:44 pm
destruction in the wake. >> and by the way, ko of the united nations on a red flag list of countries with some concerns. >> i have to mention -- >> go ahead, mary. >> one other thing. strange coincidence, remember the shoe bomber, he was coming out of paris headed to miami. paris authorities questioned him. he didn't make the flight that day, allowed to rebook for the next day and the shoe bomber had an accomplice. he was from tunisia. shoe bombers and super max in the united states. the tunisian co-conspirator went to a prison. we have the connection in other -- not saying it's anything like that but attacks and attempted attacks in the past. we had the two locations also implicated. by the way, the shoe bomber traveled from brussels to board the plane.
12:45 pm
>> fred, to you, just in terms of the timing, do you find any of it curious or it could be a total coincidence that this is right around when this plane is leaving greek air space entering egyptian air space and just goes off the radar. >> well, a few things jump out at me. a lot of people say that you want to put a bomb to go off as the airport craft is getting to cruising altitude but sometimes they may have wanted to make a statement to explode getting closer to egypt. it's very, very difficult to tell, you know, the timing of matters and for these things for the sophistication not as accurate as people like to think athat are on occasions. i think the bomb if it was a bomb in the back of the airplane and account for the rolls and cannot bo do with an airbus. >> let me stop you there.
12:46 pm
we know some point that this plane apparently, you know, sort of jerked left 90 degrees, jerked right about 360 degrees and ultimately was gone. so those kind of maneuvers you are saying, this leads you to perhaps hypothesize that a bomb could be in the back because why? >> well, it's a sophisticated guess. all right? we don't know. and look. we know where the wreckage is. they'll find the black boxes, the wreckage and the pieces to answer all those questions and in an airbus, there's certain modes, a fly by wire airplane. in the old airplanes and what i fly, you pull on the stick or turn it cables, pulleys electronics move the devices. in the airbus, moving the joystick is a signal to tell the airplane what to do and if you're a pilot in an airbus and if you at cruise altitude and speeds, and you throw that stick hard to the left, the airplane will not go hard to the left. it will only turn as quickly as
12:47 pm
it thinks is safely possible. and again, if you go back to the right. so these maneuvers if we know, if they're correct, this radar facility was 400 miles from this airplane. so until we find the flight data recorder, we are not really going to know what the airplane did but if these are accurate they're not consistent with the way an airbus is flown at cruise. >> okay. let's hope for the families' stakes they find that and some wreckage, the tail where you have all that information, lying in that -- those data recorders hopefully they find that soon. mary and fred and seth, thank you so much. we're going to take a quick break. special live coverage. >> thank you. >> thank you. continues after this and take you to paris to charles de gaulle airport where the flight originated before the crash. ♪
12:48 pm
12:49 pm
amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. it's the semi-annual sale! save $500 on the memorial day special edition mattress with sleepiq technology. know better sleep. only at a sleep number store.
12:50 pm
12:51 pm
and still haveealthy, gum disease.
12:52 pm
use gum® brand for healthy gums. soft-picks®. proxabrush® cleaners. flossers and dental floss. gum® brand. back to our special breaking coverage here of egyptair flight 804. i'm brooke baldwin. i want to take you straight to paris to atika shubert who is standing inside charles de gaulle airport where the flight originated some 17 hours ago. atika, tell me, how is security in the wake of this and also tell me about security for just airport personnel. >> reporter: absolutely. i mean, it's at the highest level of alert now but it has been now for several months. we've seen several armed guards going through the airport
12:53 pm
periodically checking passengers' baggages, spot checks and so it is some of the tightest security you can find in any airport across europe. having said that, though, no airport is 100% water tight. what charles de gaulle does to take extra security measures is that anybody who needs to access those secured areas, like personnel, gets screened by police, they get screened again periodically every few months, their lockers are searched as well. the same kind of precautions that are taken with passengers, making sure that they have no liquids, their laptops are screened, that happens for personnel entering secured areas as well. they took extra steps by actually removing some 70 employees from their positions because they feared they may have links to radical islamist networks. there's been a crack down of security here for some time but investigators are going over those steps to see if there are any weak links in the security
12:54 pm
chain here. >> atika shubert, thank you so much, in paris. let me bring back our other panel, justin green, christine den any son, remote expedition specialist and mike baker, former special operations officers. christine, this is directed at you. you are rightly pointing out, yes, the vice president of egyptair has come out and said we have found the wreckage but your point is, this is the mediterranean sea, you're not 100% convinced this is in fact this plane? >> i'm not. i don't think anybody should be at this point until we have physical evidence that they have identified and they have to be really careful and really sensitive to what they are identifying and putting forth because you have families waiting to find out if this is wreckage. they are holding on to every word. and if you have information that you don't want to put forth, that's fine. but to put out misinformation that isn't 100% verified, you're
12:55 pm
going to have to spend a lot of time backtracking and explaining which is completely unfair to the families, to the investigation and we went through this with mh370 for weeks. >> let me just read this on the families. a group of families have arrived in cairo. they are receiving the relatives who left paris thursday afternoon on an egyptair flight from the cairo international airport. this mantels cnn he will accompany the devastated families of the victims to their hotels. mike baker, to you, you're listening to all of this. you know, what are you thinking we're so early in this process. >> i look at it strictly from an operational point of view. a captain referenced lockerbie. i know the lockerbie investigation and it was an ungodly amount of work that it took to identify the explosive
12:56 pm
device and how it made its way on board that plane. that took forever, it seems. so neighborhood who is out there hoping for a quick solution -- and the vectors of attack have increased. >> i look at this and it's tragic but what i say is always the same thing. look, there's a difference. speculation investigation, you've got to let this thing ride out. unfortunately, we are dealing with yet again the host country, it was malaysia before and now egypt, not known for trans pa transparency. >> but egypt came out quickly, in addition to u.s. intelligence, said it's likely terrorism.
12:57 pm
>> it would be. they tend to have been reluctant to go that route and for a lot of reasons. national pride, the massive hit that their tourism industry has taken. >> yes. >> and look, they are on their backs. this is a very difficult time for them right now. so could it be terrorism? of course it could be. everybody is investigating it. but you have to look at everything. you can't take anything off the table at this point. you've got to devote all of your resources to you will adevote a resources. >> from everything i've read, from isis to al qaeda, no one has jumped to responsibility. we're in 2016 where people are in charge of social media for these terrorist organizations. does that then cause you pause that perhaps it could have been something else? >> it's a great question. again, the unsatisfying answer is there is no hard and fast rule for how they accept or claim responsibility. sometimes there's a delay, sometimes it's immediate. you can't read too much into that.
12:58 pm
just like we can't read too much into any of the statements coming into egypt, can't read too much into this. the movement of the plane prior to -- >> question everything? >> yeah. exactly. everything is on the table at this point. >> what are you thinking? >> there's an old show dragnet, the sergeant said just the facts, ma'am. i think right now we have a limited number of facts. we can speculate based on those limited number of facts but it doesn't do anybody any good. the investigation has to go through -- remember twa 800, i don't know if you were involved if in that, but initially everyone thought it was a terrorist attack, a missile shoot-down. the ntsb and some of your colleagues did an amazing investigation. they put the airplane back together and found what the cause was and that's what the families in this case deserve. they deserve competent and fully transparent investigation. >> who takes the lead on this if there was no american on board? >> egypt has it. >> egypt has it? >> under international law, egypt has the investigation.
12:59 pm
>> and so in the final sort of 60 seconds that i have, let's end our show thinking of the families. you have, you know, folks -- i think it was 30 egyptians, 15 french and a number from a number of other countries. they are in their hotel rooms trying to understand what's happening. they don't have the facts. we don't have the facts. how do you handle them? what do you say? >> well, i represent the families. i don't meet them this week, you know, or in this case probably never because it's not a u.s. nexus case but usually it will be six months after the accident i'll meet them and there's nothing you can say. i think the most important thing is whatever you do tell them -- and this is for the investigators and the airline, make sure you write. that's the most important thing. don't be wrong. don't mislead them. >> be correct. >> include them in every step, let them know what is coming,
1:00 pm
protect them. make them feel that. that's very helpful to them at this point. they have nothing else. >> and take comfort that even though it seems like they are not getting information on the ground from egyptair, concurrently, the same time, independently of that, there's a massive effort with the cia, nsa, french authorities. >> they are on it. >> with other intel services trying to figure out what has happened. >> mike, christine, thank you. "the lead" starts now. welcome to "the lead". i'm jake tapper. i want to welcome our viewers in the united states and around the world. this is "the lead." breaking news on the crash of egyptair air 804. egyptian officials say they have found the wreckage, life jackets and piece of plastic in the mediterranean sea. they are labeling their mission a search and recovery mission, not a rescue ss