Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  June 16, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

7:00 pm
for information on how to help the orlando shooting survivors and the the families, go to cnn.com/impact and you will find many organizations. and the one orlando fund is the one that the mayor and others are going to recommend and distribute money to a number of organizations, but check it out on cnn.com/impact. our coverage continues right now with don lemon. with don lemon. don. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com this is cnn breaking news. >> breaking news, and lot of oit about the man responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in history. this is c nshgs nshnn live, and lemon live in orlando. and once again, president barack obama has to console the victims' families. >> i held and hugged grieving family members and parents, and
7:01 pm
they asked why does this keep happenin happening? >> and as each day goes by, we are learning more about the nightclub killer. om omar mateen and his wife exchanging text messages during the deadly rampage. and elementary records show that he was disciplined 31 times for aggressive and violent behavior, and was mateen conflicted about the sexuality? one long term patron of pulse nightclub said that he was on several gay apps and sent nude pictures of himself. and we will go to michelle kaczynski, because the president came and spoke to members of the families of victims of of the attack? >> after grieving survivors and first responders and the family vi victims, and he said that
7:02 pm
essentially, he was bringing the plea to the american public, and if we don't do more of stopping certain people from getting their hands on the assault rifles, he said that it is essentially the same thing as choosing to let it happen again. >> i held and hugged grieving family members and parents, and they asked why does this keep happening. they pleaded that we do more to stop the carnage. they don't care about the politics. neither do i. this debate needs to change. it is, it has outgrown the old political stalemates, and the notion that the answer to this tragedy would be to make sure that more people in a nightclub are similarly armed to the can killer defies commonsense.
7:03 pm
those who defend the easy accessibility of assault weapons should meet these families and explain why that makes sense. >> we have now seen the president make a similar trip like this after a mass shooting ten times. and there have been times that we have seen him more angry, and more emotional, and at one point he cried talking about the victims of the sandy hook shooting, but here what came through is the tiredness and the disgust that, yes, it has happened again. and what he did here is in direct language laid out a broad argument, and he seemed to cover all of the bases for why this is about more than fighting isis militarily, and he said that you look at the shooting and others, and they are lone wolves and radicalized at home, and that rerequires, he said, a different approach. don. >> yeah, yeah. he was clearly upset, michelle, and frustrated, but also looking for action from congress on restricting guns. what is the latest on that?
7:04 pm
>> well, we hear him asking for action all of the time, but what is interesting now is that you do hear talk of compromise, and more than that, there are bills proposed on both sides of the aisle right now in the senate, and the problem is that these are dueling bills, and clearly an effort out there on both sides to make some tweaks to the law, to require people who are on maybe it is a watch list, and maybe it is a no-fly list to make it harder for them to get guns, but there is still very much a stalemate, and there are votes coming up this coming week, but again, they are dueling bills, and it is not looking like any of them are going to be passing at this point, don. >> yeah. one of the sponsors of the bills florida senator bill nelson will speak to us in a moment about that. i i want to bring in brian todd. brian, news today of even more communication of mateen during the attack, and what did you
7:05 pm
lea learn? >> don, it is becoming really clear that this killer engaged in anxtraordinary sequence of communications during the rampage that we have never seen anything like this really. today, we got new information from the law enforcement sources that the omar mateen and his wife engaged in texts with each other, and sent texts to each other in the rampage, and two hours into it, according to the law enforcement sources he text her to see if she had seen the news, and this then she texted back that she loved him, and she tried to call him at least once in the rampage, and now, you couple it with the fact that we have already known that he call called the tv station in the middle of the massacre, and he called 911 and professed the loyalty to isis and called a friend to say good-bye, and we have not seen anything like this in any of the horrible mass killings that we have seen of this kind of the communication
7:06 pm
right in the middle of the event, itself, and it is extraordinary don. very interesting. >> yes, you have also learned of some warning signs of mateen, and tell us about that? >> well, don, we have spent all day digging up the records of the st. lucie school system, and talking to former school matts, and this is a record of the st. lucie county school system that we have dug up on the disciplinary record and 176 page, and it is extraordinary, and he had hundreds of disciplinary actions dating back to third grade and earlier. here is one sequence that i can read to you, and talks about him being verbally aggressive and violent and much talk about sex in the third grade. he was 8 years old. we talked to a former classmate of him in the fourth and the fifth grade who talked to us about one day when he threatened to bring a gun to school, and kill everyone. he was in fifth grade when that
7:07 pm
happened and these documents detail just instance over instance over a period of years when this young man had incredible disciplinary problems, and he was constantly disruptive in class, and he had 31 disciplinary situations in 19 199 >> well, brian todd with the latest on that information on the gunman here. thank you, brian. i want to bring in florida senator bill nelson. senator, thank you for joining us. and again, i want to talk about one of the dueling bills that they were talking about, and you were with the president today, and you met with the first responders and tell us about that. >> the president and the vice president met privately with the families, and the first responders, and the only two in uniform were the chief of police and the sheriff, and the rest of them were all dressed up in coats and ties, but you could see those muscles rippling under
7:08 pm
those coats. those guys are ready to do business. they obviously took care of business the other day. >> and as we were talking the other day before going on the air, you said that you saw one of the guys who fought back gamest the gunman in the nightclub and off duty officer, and tell us what you saw about his injuries. >> he had a scar about that long from there to there with the stitches still in it. but it was that kevlar helmet that stopped that point 223 magnum that has a exceptional military velocity. he is just very fortunate. he had his kevlar helmet on. >> and it just shows you to know how brave the first responders and the police are in this country. >> that is right. >> and the president also talked after meeting with the families
7:09 pm
about how someone on the no-fly list could get their hands on a gun, and is a that any chance to have passage? >>le with w it should, because it is common sense that if you are a terrorist, you should not be able to buy a gun, and we don't let people who are on a terrorist list on an airplane, they should not get a gun. but even if that were the law, that would not have stopped mateen, and i have added the part, but it is on a terrorist list, and he has purchased a gun, he can purchase it, but they have to notify the fbi, and then if the fbi wants to go to talk to him again, they can. >> and do you think that it will make a duff frens this time? will this make a difference, because the vote is monday? >> the vote is monday there. is something different, and the intensity of this 15-hour fill bust er that we did and i was early in the filibuster showing
7:10 pm
the doctor's blood stained shoes and then his facebook post where he talked about as blood is pouring out all over his scrubs and his shoes, he doesn't know if they are black or white or gay or straight, and he and his team are just trying to save the lives amidst all of the screams and the groans. it was a rather compelling piece. >> you think it has a chance? you think it has a chance, and do you have the votes, do you think? >> none other than lindsey graham called me, the republican of south carolina to today, and he is intro duing a version, and now is that because he wants to have us go on the republican bill, you know, it does not make any difference to me. if we get to the same thing, and we are talking about exactly what you and i talked about, you will start picking up lindsey and susan collins and maybe you
7:11 pm
get a few more that are up for election, because you know, 90% of their folks are telling them, we want you to do this, and it is commonsense. >> and i want to also play something, and listen to something, and this is senator john mccain and the comments that he made today concerning the massacre. >> and went to iraq and syria and became eisis, and isis thans to barack obama's utter failures of pulling everybody out of iraq thinking that the conflicts end just because we leave, so the responsibility for it lies with the president barack obama and his failed policies. >> so then shortlyf a t lly aft he back pedalled and said, to clarify, i was talking about the
7:12 pm
policies to lead to the rise of isil, and not the president himself. and do you think that this is appropriate on this day? >> well, no, it is not. and i know john and i love john, and he is a hot and passionate about things. and what he believes is that we shouldn't have pulled out of iraq, and he said it very inartfully, and he has opened himself up to criticism, but i don't believe that he meant it. >> well, thank you for coming on, and thank you for visiting with those, and of course, this is your state. we appreciate it. thank you, senator nelson. just ahead from orlando, i will talk to the grieving parents of one of the victims and you don't want to miss this interview. think fixing your windshield is a big hassle?
7:13 pm
not with safelite. this family needed their windshield replaced but they're daughters heart was set on going to the zoo. so guess what, i met them at the zoo. service that fits your schedule. that's another safelite advantage. ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪ innovative sonicare technology with up to 27% more brush movements versus oral b. get healthier gums in 2 weeks guaranteed. innovation and you. philips sonicare. save when you buy the most loved rechargeable toothbrush brand in america.
7:14 pm
which saves money.owners insurance a smarter way, they offer a diy home inspection, which you do yourself, which saves money. they offer a single deductible, so you don't pay twice when something like this happens, which saves money. they make it easy to bundle home and auto, which reduces red tape, which saves money. and they offer claim forgiveness, so if you make a claim, you could save money. esurance was born online and built to save. and when they save, you save. that's home and auto insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
7:15 pm
we believe that you should keep what you buy. that's why your unused talk, text and data never expires with active service. some major carriers say you can keep your data. but when you read the fine print, your data does expire. but tracfone has unlimited carryover, so you get to keep your unused talk, text and data. 90-day plans with unlimited carryover start as low as $20. unbeatable nationwide coverage. no contract. tracfone. do everything for less.
7:16 pm
back in orlando tonight, and a city that is grieving. president barack obama here to today comforting the families of the victims and shane evelyn tomlinson was 34 years young, and singer who performed at weddings and clubs, and tonight, i sat down with his grieving parents. >> reporter: the president said today that for the family members of the victims that they didn't care about the politics and nooeither did he surroundin this whole gun issue, because you don't care about the politics, but you want something done? >> yes, we want something done, and enough is enough, and as she indicated the whole thing is that my son, he was gunned down
7:17 pm
in a merciless way with 47 other people. and the thing to me that it is unfathomable to me how we tolerate it, and we have become so tolerant of it, and loobing in the papers or turn on the tv, and there is some horrific situation, and we get all upset about it for a moment, and then we are on the next thing until the next tragedy, and nothing. we don't learn anything from it, nothing. >> did the president, and the vice president coming offer any comfort the you at all? >> yes, he tried. i mean, what do you say? what do you say to all of these people in there? there is a room full of people that lost their loved ones, and yes, he came, and like i said to him, thank you for coming, and being compassionate to this community. but really, what can you really say? you know. his words is not going to make me feel better, and it is
7:18 pm
definitely not going to be bringing back my son, so i was happy that he was showing compassion. you sit there and you hear the people talking, but you don't know what they are saying, because my mind is focused on when i get home, i have to start making funeral arrangements. i'm worried about what church and this, and my nightmare has not even begun yet. >> i looked to the right, and i saw that there was somebody sitting there, and they had been there, and i felt myself focused more on them than what the president said, and i heard that he said that there were 15 different times that he had come and had to do this for a group of people in the eight years that he had been president, and i thought that was horrific, just in and of itself, but one of the things that he did say is that he also goes to talk to the family members of soldiers that have been in war, and they have
7:19 pm
been become casualties of war, and although it is really hard for him to talk to the parents, he said that the soldiers signed on, and they knew what they were signing on for, and the victims in the room, and the victims that were the family members, they didn't know what they were signing on for. >> they were dancing. dancing. >> and you are going to have some fun. my son, he played, and he gigged that night. it is like he got off from work, and after having a performance, okay, and he was having some fun with his friends, and he decided after leaving the place where he had gigged at that he was going to go over to this other club, and kind of pass through and see if some of his friends were there. >> and you would not wish it on the worst enemy? >> nobody. nobody should have to lose a child like this, and lose anybody, and not even a child, and nobody should have to lose a family member this way. >> since this happened, and i told you guys this, i have known
7:20 pm
people who knew shane, and they have been text meg from the moment it happened until now when we started the interview about him. worried about you guy, and t trying to help you. he was loved by so many people. >> unbelievable. i mean, i never knew shane knew so many people, because my phone has blown up, and i don't know hardly any of these people. but that is what i do in the myle of the night, i just read all of the comments, you know, from the people, and shane, and people like all over the place, state-to-state, you know, different countries, and it is just like, where did you meet these people from? so he was well loved. he really was well loved. >> he was an incredible performer, and everyone says that the voice was amazing and he lit up the stage. tell me about that. >> and he was full of energy, and he could work a stage. he could really work a stage.
7:21 pm
he loved the sing, and he started to sing at 18 months before he could speak, and he was harmonizing gospel with my mother, and sang in church, and come home, and shane would just sing all day. i mean, what little child could remember all of those words, and this is shane. >> and you said something that i read, and you said that you -- are you having trouble finding places and churches that will take his body or do the service? >> when this first went down, that is was a concern, and i said my son has been in church his whole life, and let me tell you, he loved the lord. and he, no matter what shane did, he always asked for god's directi direction. >> and what was the concern? >> that they wouldn't give him a service, because he was gay.
7:22 pm
because of how some churches feel about the gay community. >> you have a loft questions, i am sure. >> yes. >> and what are your questions? >> what happened? why it happened? and could it have been avoided? that is what is running through my mind. where was shane at that given point in time, and i mean, i have a plethora of questions that i just, i don't even share with her, because i know that she is -- >> for me, i don't want to know. >> you don't want to know, why? >> it would hurt me too much. i am already having nightmares thinking how he was gunned down. i don't want to know the specifics of it. i don't want to see that he is gone. he is not coming back, and i don't want to see the autopsy report saying that he was shot 13 times -- i don't want to see that. you know, my nightmare is already great. so i don't want to see that.
7:23 pm
it is not going to help me. for me, is sgoiting to make it worse. for him, you know, maybe that will help him heal. but it would not help me. no, i would just keep picturing him being tortured. >> a mother's worst nightmare. >> absolutely. absolutely. >> do you think that -- is there anger towards the person who did it? >> because of my faith, i'm not going to be angry. i'm not going to just hug him and pour love out on him, but i can love him from a distance, and he is gone now himself, but no, i am not angry. what is that going to do? what is the anger going to do? it is go g ing to eat at me, to
7:24 pm
>> straight ahead, will this massacre lead dong pass new gun legislation? that is next. (vo) whatever your perfect temperature...
7:25 pm
you'll enjoy consistent comfort with the heating and
7:26 pm
air conditioning systems homeowners rank number one. american standard heating and air conditioning. a higher standard of comfort.
7:27 pm
7:28 pm
here in orlando today, president barack obama said that the families of the victims are pleading with him to do more to stop gun violence. i want to bring in florida congressman john mica and jeffrey toobin, legal analyst, and john, i want to start with you, you are probing into why orlando did not receive more grants from the department of homeland security, and more ant anti-terror grants. tell me more about it. >> well, two years ago, dhs which is charged with assessing the vulnerability for terrorist risks to all of the metropolitan areas put orlando towards the bottom of the lists to be eligible for the federal grants to combat terrorism, and the
7:29 pm
last year my district changed and came closer to this area, and i have been working with sheriff demings, and the police chief to get that restored. we were denied every single time, every request by dhs to consider orlando as having possible terrorist threats and moving us up the scale. they gave new york $178 million, and they gave los angeles $68 million, and we got zero. so i have called for a hearing, and there will be hearings to find out what went wrong in their assessment process. it is unfair to the community to have left us hanging. >> and the president today said in his are remarks that it is going to be taking more he believes than the military, and he also brought up the gun issue. let's listen to that. >> if you have lone wolf attack s like this, hatched in the minds of a disturbed person, then we
7:30 pm
are going to the have to take different kinds of steps in order to prevent something like this from happening. now those who were kill and injured here were gunned down by a single killer with a powerful assault weapon. the motives of this killer may have been different than the mass shooters in aurora or new town, but the instruments of death were so similar. >> so many my question is, what is the best way to handle this, because multiple national security experts that i have spoken to and that i have had on the air said that they are often terrorists that are homegrown and hell bent on harm iing us, d they are taking advantage of being able to the buy guns. >> well, first of all, this
7:31 pm
individual was identified at least twice, and interviewed, and on a watch list and taken awe of a watch list. so how are you going to prevent that? additional legislation may be necessary, but when repeatedly fbi fails, and this is not the first failure. they failed in boston, and they used a pressure cooker there. they failed in san bernardino, and they failed in texas, and san bernardino the guy went to the plumbing store and bought all kinds of plumbing equipment and filled it with explosives and created an arsenal, and we have eight bills right now that the house has passed sitting in the senate that deal with giving, deal with giving our law enfor enforcement, and our intelligence agencies and others better tools to deal with radical extremists and terrorist s. >> so you don't think that the
7:32 pm
gun issue is because of the -- >> well, you have to look at the gun issue -- sfwland let me tell you what the president said, no matter whether it is terrorism or someone who is just may have an issue, they all have the same mechanism, and it is usually a semiautomatic weapon. >> well, i went to paris after the charlie hebdo, and they created an arsenal, and france has some of the most extensive bans anywhere in the world, and they created an arsenal that killed 130 people, and look at the norway killing on the island of the children, norway has some of the toughest, and they ban everything. so, we have got the get a handle on a whole bunch of other issues, and go after people who pose a risk, identify them. if they are on a list, certainly we don't want them to have that kind of the weaponry. >> and jeff ri, i want to bring you n and senator chris murphy who after 14-plus hours to filibuster to try to get gun control legislation on the
7:33 pm
table, and they have now passed a bill that will make it to the senate floor, and do you believe there is way to prevent terrorists from buying these weapons? >> look, be truthful that the republican party controls the senate, and the republican party as an institution is against gun control, and so meaningful legislation is not going to pass. why can anyone buy a semiautomatic? that is is not a hunting weapon, why is that for sale? why should anyone buy a gun without a background check? those are the simple questions, and the republican party has answered the questions is that we don't want any regulations of semi semiautomatic weapons, and we don't want any background checks. yes, maybe a vote in the senate on some amendments, but it takes both the senate and the house, and the house isn't even going to take up those issues. >> so do you agree?
7:34 pm
do you want to -- is that true? you want no restrictions and no background checks? >> i think what u want to do is to look at the legislation, and the measures that will truly stop this. this is not the end. we know that they have hit us here in orlando, a soft target, and we are to be doing the assessments better, and certainly time the after time when the fbi has failed to connect the dots, we are doing something wrong. whether they use a gun, or whether they use a pressure cooker or whether they put together pipe bomb, we have to stop -- >> you have made that point. but more specifically, you said that we have to look at ways, but you don't believe that looking at sensible ways to -- >> yes, sensible ways. again, when the watch list is -- when the watch list is not working, how are you going to control that individual? >> even without a watch list. >> don, why is this so
7:35 pm
complicated -- >> that is what i am trying to get to. jeffrey, go ahead. >> and why shouldn't there be a background check before you buy a gun? >> u i don't have a problem with the background check. >> does your leadership? >> again, everybody votes differently, and there are 435 members in the house, but some are warranted, and some restrictions on some weaponry are warranted, and some weapons should be kept out of the hands of some people, and we have issues of the mental health, and whole host of people who may post a risk, and certainly, nobody would want to the allow a terrorist, a known terrorist to have a weapon, but the problem is that the lists are not even good or you can't even get them on the list correctly, and i have talked to law enforcement within the last hour who will tell you that. >> jeffrey? >> isn't it unrealistic to expect the fbi to come up with perfect profiles of who might do
7:36 pm
these sorts of crimes in advance? we have hard enough time in the criminal justice system convicting people who committed the crimes in the past. how is the fbi supposed to predict in advance who is going to commit these crimes? >> well, first of all, this guy did everything but put up a neon light. i have seen some of the interview interviews with the coworkers who said that he did everything but tell them the time and the place that he would do it. so they missed the mark, and they missed the mark before. the fbi director colby says that we have to look at what went wrong, and get it right. it has gotten wrong too many times, and the watch list is a mess, and that needs to be cleaned up, and you have to rely on intelligence, intelligence, intelligence, and get back to the law enforcement, and the local law enforcement, and one of the people that this guy dealt with up in my community the other day, and we couldn't get a straight answer, our local law enforcement whether he posed a risk, and my community in panic over that.
7:37 pm
i call the department of justice, and i get a recording sunday morning. that is not the way this should work. >> and here is what i don't understand. if you are saying that there should be ways to prevent this, why can't we look at all ways and sensible ways. >> every way. >> nobody wants to abolish the second amendment. >> no. >> nobody is saying that. >> and we do things that make a difference, and first, we have to try to identify these folk, and some of them are, some of them are embedded, and look at san bernardino, and this guy, but there were many hints, and look at boston, and you know, those guys bought pressure cookers, and san bernardino, he went out and bought plumbing supplies and put them together to create an arsenal of bombs, so it is -- >> this one was an ar-15 and semiautomatic weapon in aurora and new town as well. >> and they have been taken off of the watch list, so you have to have the watch list that identifies people, and maybe we
7:38 pm
should look at extending the period of the ineligibility once you are on that the watch list. if we had done that, that is a possible solution. they could have stopped that guy. >> and i think it is a valid argument that we should be able to -- and it is a valid argument to look at the fbi's action, and it is a valid argument to look at what kinds of guns should be legal to purchase here in america. >> and who should be prohibiting from what kind, and so if we know that it is a known terrorist, they are on watch list, no one wants to give those people that kind of weaponry. i mean the problem that we have now -- >> congressman, you keep saying, if he is known terrorist. if someone is a known terrorist, they should be locked up already. the point is a that we don't know who is a known terrorist until they have actually committed the crimes. >> well, that is the fbi's job. >> they are not able to -- the fbi is not --
7:39 pm
>> they should have been under additional surveillance, and they did fail and not just are once, but we are up to three times and more, and we have to get this right, because they are not through with us. and you can ban all of the weapons that you want, and again, i will give you dozens of examples of, and i was over in paris as i said, and i saw the arsenal that was accumulated by those that killed 130 people, and that before that trying to make sthaern our assets are our personnel are protected, and in that instance, they were. they went tonight club where there was an american band and tried to kill the people there. and in brussels they subverted the system, and went to the counter of three counters of american airlines. and again, when the dhs does not assess, and here is the records, and a week after week contacting them orlando still has risks, and soft targets, and we knew
7:40 pm
that we had soft targets here, and they would not listen to us, and they turned us down every time. in the letter to them in january, my last letter to them in the last line, if central florida became a target it would be a national disaster, and it has become a national disaster. >> and i think that you are preaching to the choir, but everything can be improved. >> and look at the steps that will effective. >> i think that we should look at all steps. >> i agree with you, and we will. >> and which weapons should be available to certain people here in the united states, and i'm from the sportsman paradise and i have never seen anybody in my family and a lot of people hunt and shoot, but i have never seen anybody go hunting with an ar-15. >> i am a strong second amendment person, but i believe that certain people who pose a terrorist risks or have other problems identified should not be allowed to carry that arm or some other arms. >> and how do you plan on voting next week?
7:41 pm
>> i have not seen the bill. i have not seen the bill. >> so you have no idea. >> as i said, we have passed seven bills dealing with the terrorist threats that are sitting in the senate, i want the senate to move those. we will get it right. it is a great country, and great community, and we have had tragedy, but people are working together, finding solutions that do make a difference, and we can change this. >> and you said that your district is now going to be -- >> my district is right where you are standing. >> right by pulse, a gay bar. >> yes. we have great community, and we have a very diverse community. >> and so since this is part of the district now, and will you be better now when it comes to the legislation for gay people? your record is not good. >> and i have records of both friends who are very close to me, and work for me, and you will find that nobody in the community that works better with the that community, the gay community, and also with the
7:42 pm
latino community that suffered an incredible loss here that has not been talked about. it is devastating, and i came home from the airport and the first place i passed was a latino funeral home, and there was a service going on there. it breaks my heart. >> i have to go. thank you. >> thank you. >> jeffrey, you, as well. >> and coming up, john cain blames president obama for the orlando massacre. we will be right back. mary buys a little lamb. one of millions of orders on this company's servers. accessible by thousands of suppliers and employees globally. but with cyber threats on the rise, mary's data could be under attack. with the help of at&t, and security that senses and mitigates cyber threats, their critical data is safer than ever.
7:43 pm
giving them the agility to be open & secure. because no one knows & like at&t. which saves money.owners insurance a smarter way, they offer a diy home inspection, which you do yourself, which saves money. they offer a single deductible, so you don't pay twice when something like this happens, which saves money. they make it easy to bundle home and auto, which reduces red tape, which saves money. and they offer claim forgiveness, so if you make a claim, you could save money. esurance was born online and built to save. and when they save, you save. that's home and auto insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
7:44 pm
illuminates skin with pearl optics science. your concert style might show your age, your skin never will. with olay you age less, so you're ageless. olay. ageless.
7:45 pm
7:46 pm
back now live here in orlando as some of the victims who survived the massacre are fighting for their lives. i want to bring in kayleigh mcenany and a trump supporter, and maria cardona is a democratic strategist, and hillary clinton supporter, and superdelegate, and anna navarro, and good evening tullooef neven. anna, donald trump said this at a rally tonight, and what did you say? >> and you know, lgbt is starting to like donald trump very much lately, i will tell you. >> and anna, what is your response to that?
7:47 pm
>> ugh, i, you know, i don't know what lgbt community's support of donald trump is, and i have not seen the poll numbers, and i think that oftentimes he boasts abouting having support of folks like hispanics and others who don't really support him when you look at the polls. but listen, don, i was just listening to the previous segment, and i was thinking to myself, if i were the relative, or the loved one or the friend of one of those victims of somebody who has been wounded, and somebody who has been killed and i was hearing that kind of the partisan bickering, i think that i would want to reach into the tv and slap somebody. i don't respect for those dead, out of respect for those wounded, we have to resist this idea of the back and forth of the political, you know, tete-a-tete involving and really push, and ask for action this time. we cannot continue to see the tragedy after tragedy and then
7:48 pm
follow it up with this kind of the discussion, this kind of the argument that leads to nothing other than more people going into the respectful corners, for the love of god, and for respect of the dead, let us do something this time. >> and speaking to the family member, ana, to your point, too, the family members, and i have spoken to a lot of them, and the reason i pressed him is that i feel obligated because of the family members, that i say that they are tired of the partisan bickering as you said, and they want something done. they don't see anything wrong, and they all believe in the second amendment and they don't see anything wrong with the sensible gun legislation, and they don't understand why everything else is on the table, but that is not on the table, and what would you like to see done, ana and you said solutions, and what is it? >> you know what i'd like to see, and i'm not a gun expert. but i would like to see the folks who are experts in the field, and the national security people, and fbi, and folks that are gun experts, gun sales people, and people from the nra
7:49 pm
get locked into the room until they can come up with something that is a compromise that can be passed. i would like to sees that are now in the books be enforced, and i would like to see communication between different agencies, so that a guy who has been interviewed three times be by the fbi cannot easily go get a gun, and i would like to see sensible people do sensible things, and that is what all americans should be demanding right now. >> kayleigh, before you respond, donald trump reacted to president obama's statements in orlan orlando. let's listen. >> i just watched president obama, and -- [ booing ] and he does it a lot, and he does it a lot, because we have one after another, and tragedy after tragedy and it is a tough situation, but he is lajly to a large extent he is blaming guns and -- and i'm going to save
7:50 pm
your second amendment, folks. i am going to save your second amendment. totally. and hillary wants to abolish the second amendment, and remember th that. >> before i ask a question, and in every single fact check it says that he is false on, that and hillary clinton has never said or even intimated that she wants to take away the second amendment. how much do you think that the tragedy in orlando is going to be changing the gun discussion on the campaign trail? >> well, you know, i do think that she has intimated that, because she was asked if she agrees with the supreme court ruling that basically say that the second amendment entails a right to hold the weapon and it is called the heller case, and she said i don't know if i agree with the interpretation, but i want to say that i agree with ana 100% and we should take the partisan politics out of it, and
7:51 pm
that means that budging on the various issues, and donald trump, we have heard him say that i want to look into it, and perhaps support and talk to the nra and make sure that the people on the terror watch list is not going to be able to get guns, and that is sensible. >> and now, the heller decision, and clinton says that she would have power to craft commonsense laws and cities and states should have the power of the crafting commonsense laws to keep their residents safe. that is what she said. this suggests according to the politico fact that clinton claim claims it is unconstitutional and not the right itself and a position more or less in line with george w. bush administration position on heller, and recognizing the legal right, but needing
7:52 pm
curtailment, and for this claim to hold water to support the second amendment, second amendment abolishment need s s be more direct so they rated it false, and rated donald trump's statement false about wanting to destroi the second amendment and using the heller decision as proof that she wants to destroy the second amendment is completely false. >> hillary clinton, and it is absolutely fair to question whether she is supporting the individual constitutional right to hold a weapon if she wants to call into question the supreme court's jurisprudence, and that is fair way to say it, and does she abolish, and have the right to hold it, and that is semantics at that point, and she is a staunch second amendment, and that is not about guns, but it is about the islamic terrorism -- >> and we are not trying the make it about guns. >> yes sh, you are, because we having this -- >> this is not the media making guns, and i am speaking with the
7:53 pm
family members that i have been sitting down with since sunday and some are democrats and some are republicans, and some are independents, and all of them say that they believe in the second amendment, but they are tired of the partisan bickering as ana says about the second amendment. donald trump says that every turn that hillary clinton wants to abolish the second amendment, and if that is a lie, then we are obligated to point it out that it is not true, and you should not be coming on national television saying it is true when it is not. that is who is making this a partisan thing. >> don -- >> is donald trump and not the media. >> and no, here is thing. here is the thing, we are talking about this entire segment about guns, and donald trump is the one candidate out there who has budged and said, hey, my party needs to come around on this, and where is barack obama and the segments talking about islamic extremism, because we can abolish guns like france did, and assault weapons banned, but the the last four
7:54 pm
terrorist attacks have occurred despite the assault weapon bans under french law, and we can talk about it, but it is an injustice to the families and we can talk about the guns, and by ignoring this, it will happen again and we will have this discussion again, and it is doing a complete injustice to them to ignore the root of the problem. >> don -- >> no one is ignoring the extremism, and the whole show has been about islamic extremism. go ahead, maria. >> this is why we can't have a sensible conversation about this, because even when c confronted with the facts, trump and his supporters ignore them as if they don't exist. so as long as you have that mentality, when you have leaders, the standard bearer of the republican party essentially continuing to underscore outright lies, then it is hard to have a sensible conversation, but the fact of the matter is that majority of the americans are demanding a sensible
7:55 pm
conversation, and sensible changes to ensure that people who should not have guns are not able to acquire guns. republicans are starting to come around on this, because i think that they realize that, and again, in deference to the families, because like you said and i have seen these interviews with you, don, they are demanding this kind ofness isable exchange of sepsable changes to the gun laws, to make sure that gun safety is put first, and that does not mean that anybody wants to get rid of the second amendment, and it does mean that sensible change s can be made so that this, and so that it is harder for this kind of thing to happen again. >> ana, i am almost out of time, and i will give you the last word? >> look, i think that this is part of the problem, and when i hear folks talk about islamic extremism, and yes, that is part of the problem, and when you have this guy who called and allied himself to be pledged to isis, that is enough to be
7:56 pm
considered an extremist with allied with isis, but at the same time if you are going to be talk about islamic extremism, this is a hate crime against the lgbt community, and both things are true, and both things can be simultaneously true, and we cannot blind ourselves to the facts, because of the personal discrimination because of personal bias. both things are true, and unless we get a comprehensive approach to the problem, we are not going to be solving it. >> all right. thank you, everyone. we will be right back. think fixing your windshield is a big hassle?
7:57 pm
not with safelite. this family needed their windshield replaced but they're daughters heart was set on going to the zoo. so guess what, i met them at the zoo. service that fits your schedule. that's another safelite advantage. ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪
7:58 pm
like bundling home and auto coverage, which reduces redney. tape, which saves money. when they save, you save. that's home and auto insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
7:59 pm
8:00 pm

119 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on