Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  July 25, 2016 10:00pm-11:01pm PDT

10:00 pm
a night of drama here in philadelphia as democrats open their condition convention, a rock star speech from the first lady of the united states, michelle oh bam what. and bernie sanders' moment in the spotlight. this is a special is cnn tonight. i'm don lemon. it is after hours here at the democratic convention and we are live at the cnn grill. and it's popping. it's lit. we have a lot to talk about. barn burners for senators and a speech from first lady michelle obama that absolutely rocked the house. the big moment, though, was bernie sanders, vowing to do everything he can to make
10:01 pm
hillary clinton president as the 42nd president, bill clinton, watches. here with me now, my political dream team, except for one. you'll have to figure out who that is. mark press tony, peter bienheart, bakari and peter sellers. who do you think it is except for one? >> mark presston. >> angela already throwing pins at people. so last week poring over melania trump's speech tonight. but then tonight, it was the first lady of the united states. she really rocked the house. look at this. >> i wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. and -- and i watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black, young women playing with their dogs on the white house lawn.
10:02 pm
and because of hillary clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the united states. so look -- [ applause ]. so don't let anyone ever tell you that this country isn't great. that somehow we need to make it great again. because this right now is the greatest country on earth. >> bakari, that's when i cried.
10:03 pm
think about it, a house built by slaves, watching her daughters. and she put you there. i don't care if you're a
10:04 pm
out of there. >> so it's going to be interesting -- >> and let me just -- and i know everybody wants to chime in had. she was able to think about donald trump in a way without even mentioning his name. she didn't have to say donald trump at all. but back in the country, we say a hit dog will holler. >> you throw a stick or a rock into a pack of dogs and it will holler. she was able to say everything
10:05 pm
that anybody thinks about donald trump without speaking his name. and i thought tonight she was amazing. tonight was an amazing night for democrats. the conversation changed and tonight, as a democrat, michelle obama made me proud. >> michelle obama took on donald trump as only the first lady could. the let's listen. >> ta is what barack and i think about every day as we try to guide and protect our girls through the challenges of this unusual life in the spotlight. how we urge them to ignore those who question their father's citizenship or faith. how we insist that the hateful language they hear tr public figures on tv does not represent the true spirit of this country. how we explain that when someone
10:06 pm
is cruel or acts like a bully, you don't stood to their level. no, our mott to is when they go low, we go high. with every word we utter, with every action we take, we know our kids are watching us. we, as parents, are their most important role models. and let me tell you, barack and i take that same approach to our job as president and first lady because we know that our words and actions matter, not just to our girls, but the children across this country. this november when we go to the polls, that is what we're deciding. not democrat or republican, not left or right. in this election or every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives.
10:07 pm
>> so is there going to be a michelle obama bump coming out of this for hillary clinton? >> certainly, there's no question. when we talk about surrogates that campaign on behalf of hillary clinton over the next couple of months, we've been talking about michelle oh bam what, how will she deliver, what will she do? we certainly saw that tonight. the question is how much will she do it? let me say two quick things. one, as a father of two children, a 10 and 11-year-old, when she talked about the first time when those kids left and got in those big suvs and went away to school, i think every parent could feel that, with whether they were in the white house or in the suburbs or they were in the city. that is something we can all relate to. another thing about michelle obama, not only did she deliver that speech very well, very effectively, so much with boys, we don't hear michelle obama engage in politics very often which makes it very powerful what she did tonight. >> the thing is, she can draw
10:08 pm
the character contrast with donald trump so effectively because her character is unimpeachable. hillary clinton, it's tough for her because there are a lot of people who question hillary clinton's character. but nobody questions michelle obama's. >> i think first ladies actually have a built in advantage when they give a speech like this. because i think the public, by .large, has strong and favorable feelings about the first lady. but for michelle obama to beat those expectations, embrace those expectations and exceed that, i think it just goes to show you how strong of a surrogate she was. to mark's point, really good campaigns don't tell you about their dinners thes. they show you about them. they show you those differences. and i think that was what was most effective will michelle obama's speech tonight. she drew these subtle contrasts without ever having to name check donald trump. so i think she was a very effective -- i think she was a very effective surrogate tonight for hillary clinton. >> i want to check on the first
10:09 pm
lady for bernien sanders. this is what the president tweeted out to us. incredible speech by an incredible woman. couldn't be more proud of our country. i love you, michelle. and then check this out. this is the cover of "the daily news".. this is a home run for her, for hillary clinton, for women, for people of color. it hit on everything. >> i agree. and this is the thing that's kind of funny to mow.. michelle obama beginning in the 2008 election was known as everyone as the closer. and tonight, you saw why. that was the thing i tweeted. this is why she's the closer. she doesn't just close for barack hue san obama, she can close for everyone. about we talked yet about the hillary standard, it would have been wonderful for michelle obama to get up there tonight when we talked about that glass ceiling. that is the person who can deliver that message as a surrogate. as you pointed out, peter, she has an unimpeachable character.
10:10 pm
this black woman lawyer to look up to and respect is amazing. that is what a first lady is. i wish melania would try to copy this speech. >> that is the thing, though. bakari said that earlier and i disagree with that. i don't think voters compare melania trump with michelle obama. i think they're two distinct individuals and they're not going to compare them. >> and i don't think it's fair, by the way, for us to get after melania. she didn't write the speech even though she said she did. let's let michelle obama stands on her own pedestal. >> she did stand on her own pedestal. but i think to say they're not compared is untrue and we're not actually talking about what happens in the real world. the fact of the matter is, what we have right now is the first lady of the united states. what melania is trying to do is be a first lady of the united states. i think that's a very fair comparison. we can go back and roll the tape from last monday when we were having a different discussion.
10:11 pm
>> you're talking apples and oranges. >> i don't think it's an apples and oranges comparison. >> the first lady and somebody who is trying to be first lady. you have to compare them to a standard that exists. you have someone that can be presidential or not presidential and somebody who can be a first lady or not be a favorite lady. >> i'm trying to help you out. >> there's a fundamental difference. michelle oh bbama is a deep rea of american history. she told the story of america in very profound ways with that line, being the mother of two african-american girls in a house built by slaves. let's be honest, melania trump cannot tell the story of america in the way of michelle obama. she has not lived the story of america. she does not understand the story of america. and that's a profound difference more generally between these two parties. when the democrats talk about the story of america, they talk about slavery. they talk about the brutality of
10:12 pm
american history. republicans tell the story as basically we were beaver cleaver. everything was terrific and now things have gone downhill. that's a very big difference. >> that's a little bit of generalizing. melania trump is an immigrant to this cup. she married wealthy. >> there wasn't anything in her speech that -- >> but the thing i would disagree with you, i don't think voters look at those two comparatively and say one is better than the other. i think both of them gave very good speeches. i think both of them served as very able surrogates for the folks that they were looking to ro mote. and i do think that a lot of what michelle obama did today as it relates to the base of the issue, the base that we're having, i think she did better. >> but in all -- in all fairness, that is the way the story of america should be told. i mean, that is a deep -- i think that's the deep history of this country, african-americans are deep rooted in the hour of this country. and to ignore that -- >> but i don't think anybody is --
10:13 pm
>> but it should be told that way. >> and i agree with you, don, wholeheartedly. but i don't want it to be seen through that lens alone. what michelle obama did was give a speech that the white woman who lives in burbank who is raising two children can understand. the black woman who say working at the motel who lives in baton rouge, louisiana. aen hispanic woman who is picking peaches or whatever she's doing because she's an illegal immigrant trying to survive in georgia is trying to understand. >> but here is the thing. every day -- listen, not that i'm comparing myself to the oh bam a mas. they are here and i'm here. but every day when i walk in that cnn center, i say hello to every single person, every cleaning lady, every security guard because i cannot believe that i'm here. that that black guy from baton rouge, louisiana, has this position. every day when i open my office i look out the window and i'm almost in tears. so for michelle obama sitting in
10:14 pm
the white house, a house that slaves built, i cannot even imagine. it would be overwhelming every single day for me.. but i don't think everyone understands that and i think you're right. i don't think melania trump understands it in that way. i don't think donald trump understands it in that way. >> but, don, to that point, in this same vain, you are are under an additional level of scrutiny because of the position. and so is michelle obama and she got that extra level of scrutiny when her husband was on the campaign trail. so let's say i don't think it's fair for us to go after melania. you get vetted, you get vetted. that's the live your husband chose. >> when we started this, i said i felt what she felt when she was -- when she talked about slavery or what have you, i cannot understand that necessarily in a bad way because i didn't feel it. i did understand that entire speech. i felt it. she delivered it like a parent. >> as a republican, i agree with you on that. i am trying on to agree.
10:15 pm
>> and the polls show that most donald trump spaurs supporters think america was a better country in the 1950s. that is why republicans -- their candidate calling it zero percent -- >> i wasn't even -- i don't want to go back there. >> and mark can understand this. we're going to talk bernie sanders, did he deliver, when we come back. don't go anywhere. live from the cnn grill here in philadelphia. [ male announcer ] love drama? don't be a yes man.
10:16 pm
[ boss ] it is a very smart plan. so we're all on board? [ paul ] no. this is a stupid plan. hate drama? go to cars.com. research. price. find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama. just checking my free credit score at credit karma. what the??? you're welcome. i just helped you dodge a bullet. but i was just checking my...
10:17 pm
shhh... don't you know that checking your credit score lowers it! just be cool. actually, checking your credit score with credit karma doesn't affect it at all. are you sure? positive. so i guess i can just check my credit score then? oooh "check out credit karma today. credit karma. give yourself some credit." sorry about that. good luck with the meeting today. thank you. as our business is growing, and you're on the road all day long, it's exhausting. holiday inn has been a part of the team. you're on the fourth floor. it makes life on the road much easier. book your next journey at holidayinn.com
10:18 pm
don't bring that mess around here, evan! whoo! don't do it. don't you dare. i don't think so! [ sighs ] it's okay, big fella. we're gonna get through this together. [ baseball bat cracks ] nice rip, robbie. ♪ raaah! when you bundle home and auto insurance through progressive, you get more than just a big discount. i'm gonna need you to leave. you get relentless protection. [ baseball bat cracks ] you get relentless protection. my lineage was the vecchios and zuccolis. through ancestry, through dna i found out that i was only 16% italian. he was 34% eastern european. so i went onto ancestry, soon learned that one of our ancestors we thought was italian was eastern european. this is my ancestor who i didn't know about. he looks a little bit like me, yes.
10:19 pm
ancestry has many paths to discovering your story. get started for free at ancestry.com berchbny sanders encouraging
10:20 pm
everyone to stand behind hillary clinton saying she would make an outstanding president. i want to talk about this with simone, the national press secretary. >> former national press secretary. >> and back with me now, peter binart, a contributor to "the atlantic," bakari, a hillary clinton supporter, thank you for keeping me straight on that. how are you doing? i haven't seen you. >> i'm doing great. i'm feeling real good now that day one of philly is down. and i'm going to score today, too. >> so your guy had his moment tonight. >> he did. >> how do you think he did? >> i think he did amazing. ? let's listen to him. >> we need leadership which brings our people together and makes us stronger.
10:21 pm
no leadership which insults latinos and mexicans, insults muslims and is women, african-americans and veterans and seeks to the divide us up. by these measures, any objectionable observer will conclude that based on her ideas and her leadership, hillary clinton must become the in many next president of the united states. >> all right. so you said he did all right. everybody was watching. do you think he convinced his followers, his people, to go with hillary clinton sthp. >> i think he made the case. i don't think this is something that could be won over with one speech. but i think the senator laid the foundation and is continue to go lay the foundation for sanders supporters to come over to secretary clinton.
10:22 pm
this is about the issues. i'm so excited that the democrats excited off our convention and the republicans had a whole message last week. i didn't see it correlate. but today, we were talking about the economy. so we had speakers like first lady michelle obama, cory booker, senator warren and senator sanders. >> they were okay speeches. >> they were some good speeches. we talked about the economy. and i do think senator sanders laid out policy prescriptions and then connected why he thought secretary clintan -- those policy prescriptions. that what's oog he's going to have to keep going out there -- >> talking about climate change, wall street, she's listening, she's listening. do you think he made the case? the speech was good but i thought it took him a while to get there. >> about 18 minutes in web brought up secretary clinton. and the challenge i have is twofold. on one hand, given what he's been through over the last 72
10:23 pm
hours, you can understand and thankfully, it was not a ted cruz speech. on the other hand, i think i've watched him on sunday, so after sunday's show. and even at the rally he did earlier today where he really made a hard pitch, i was surprised he didn't take that same fervor into this particular the speech. again, i do understand it. but i wish he would have brought her up maybe about the seven-minute mark. >> bakari. >> listen, the fact it took him 750 words is -- >> oh, now y'all are counting. >> no, it's true. i -- i don't think -- i'm not certain that that matters. his endorsement was full throated. if you go back to ted cruz's speech, everybody was waiting on whether it was word 750 or word number one, people were waiting on ted cruz to utter the phrase, i support donald trump. or just donald trump period.
10:24 pm
but i think tonight he gave a full throated endorsement. are all these supporters going to be on board? no. everybody is not a monolithic group that's going to run from one candidate to another. is it going to take work? yes. did it begin with the platform committee back months ago and months ago? you saw benjamin. this is not something that happened by happen stance. this was well oshg traited. >> i'm not sure if you're buying that. >> you asked earlier did he convince all these supporters to all of a sudden get on board with hillary. i was surprised that you said not yet. i would have been worried if you said absolutely. it was a contentious primary. there are strong passions here and it is going to be a longer process than any one speef. if i take myself out of this ask look at the clinical operative -- you can do that? >>. >> i can. but it was a decent first start. >> i think this is all wrong.
10:25 pm
we have been so distracted by the fight in this hall that we have not noticed the data. the pugh research center says 90% of sanders supporters today say they will vote for hillary clint clinton. anecdotally we can find people who are really upset. the polling is showing us even annoy that hillary clinton is getting 90% of the sanders supporters. >> and we're in the hall. you heard the boos. >> california. >> this, to me, was a very strong moment. i was like, yeah, somebody finally said it right here. sara silverman. >> i am proud to be a part of bernie's moments and a vital part of that movement is making absolutely sure that hillary clinton is our next president of the united states.
10:26 pm
>> that was pretty good, sara. >> hillary. >> unity. unity. >> hillary. hillary. >> the bernie -- can i just say to the burny or bust people, you're being ridiculous. i figured i'd add that. ask then he cut off my speech. now we have to stretch. oh, i have so much i want to say. >> well, okay, we -- you know --
10:27 pm
>> booyah, all i wanted her to do was go hey now. >> who would have thought clint eastwood would have had like on like the old school statesman. >> the reason i thought it was important for her to say that is because all of those people were like ted cruzs. ted cruise is the only one at the convention going everybody but donald trump. the only people going if i know but hillary. she's like, you're being ridiculous. so i'm just saying -- >> but you also have to give those people time. so i want everybody to remember that, no, people joined the political revolution because of the issues. >> hang on, how much time do you
10:28 pm
need? >> bernie sanders had not endorsed secretary clinton for about two weeks ago. for all of these supporters, it's fresh for them. these are not your regular run-of-the-mill democratic supporters. >> i'm going to say -- hold on, hold on, i like that. >> they don't come together, give them their time. >> fine. you know what people say about we're comparing apples to apples, right? what did people say about ted cruz? you weren't going to get up on that stage and not support donald trump, come don't come. have class. >> bernie said what he needed to say weeks ago. in terms of the supporters, an overwhelming percent of them are already on board with secretary clinton. >> i just lieshg -- the mission.
10:29 pm
>> they are coming to go you. they went from the protest line to -- >> i haven't seen simone for a while. on honestly, i'm comparing -- >> i would have worried that that was too dismissive. if i was a hillary clinton supporter, i would have worried about it. >> how many days does it take for bernie sanders supporters to realize -- >> i think that is pretty simple. and people understand that. but, again, we can't scare people into fear mongering. that is why we're voting for somebody. we can vote for a candidate that supports addressing climb change, that supports -- >> hang on. >> but to the point, considering what happened with the dnc and the e-mails, people are really upset on bernie sanders' side and i think they have a right to
10:30 pm
be upset about that. >> i don't think anybody has said that the bernie sanders supporters or anyone doesn't have a right to be upset about the e-mails. even the dnc, they did with what i knew they were going to do. handle business. >> i have to go to a break. we'll be right back. steve. yeah? clarence is on a roll. yeah. i wish they'd name an event after me. same here. but the model year end becky event? that's no good... stevent! that's just vandalism. whatever you want to call it, don't miss the volkswagen model year end event. hurry in for a one-thousand dollar volkswagen reward card and 0% apr on a new 2016 passat.
10:31 pm
10:32 pm
10:33 pm
we're back and we're live at the cnn grill right here at the democratic national convention in philadelphia. two key spookers tonight, michelle obama and elizabeth warren. i think to bring in the founder
10:34 pm
of the coalition -- coalition for inclusive capitalism and is my political dream team is with me. so good to have you here the. >> so great to be here. >> good of you on. it's really early. it's 8:00 at night. >> exactly. i'm wide awake. i haven't had one drink all night. neither have you. >> the first lady took though time 25ig swipes at donald trump. lisp. >> how we explain that when someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don't stop to their level. though, our mott to is when they go low, we go high. and when she didn't win the nomination eight years ago, she didn't get angry or disillusi disillusions. hillary did not pack up and go home. someone who understands the issues the president faces are not black and white and company be boiled down to 140
10:35 pm
characters. you can't make snap decisions. you can't have a thin skin or a tendency to lash out. don't let anyone ever tell you that this country isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again, because this right now is the greatest country on earth. >> lynn, this is the first time that she spoke at length about hillary clinton. how do you think she did it? did she win people over? >> i think she was absolutely magnificent. i think everything she said about hillary was perfect, including the most important thing to me was when she said i trust my children with hillary clinton had. she went right for that vulnerability that the media and opponents have been trying to create and she just shut it down. and she shut it down about hillary's grace and her
10:36 pm
confidence. >> how she raised her child beautifully and perfectly. but also, she spoke about donald trump without mentioning him, saying that you have to be calm under pressure, right, especially if you have the nuclear code. but there was something in there for burny showersers saying she didn't get mad and go home. >> absolutely. it was perfectly crafted and perfectly delivered speech. >> if she was the closer, maybe should she have been here on the last night instead of the first night? >> well, it was perfect to have her, though, with bernie because bernie had to rise to that occasion. i think the clintons knew what they were doing when they put this ram together. >> how important is the coalition between the clintons and the obamas? >> it's very important. it's one thing that the
10:37 pm
republican parties with their autopsy, haven't realized the country is getting browner. women do matter in elections. when you offend brown people and women, it's hard to get to 270. but i think what you're seeing from the clinton camp is this embarrassment of riches. because you have everyone from someone like secretary of labor thomas perez to tim kaine, to burny sanders, michelle obama, barack obama. the list goes on and on and on. and donald trump can't get the anybody to stand on stage with him outside of his relatives. >> speaking of which, elizabeth warren. listen. >> what kind of a man roots for an economic crash that caused millions of people their jobs, their home, their life savings? what kind of a men cheats businesses, cheats investors,
10:38 pm
cheats workers? i'll tell you what kind of a man. a man who must never be president of the united states. last week, donald trump spoke for more than an hour on the biggest stage ever had. but other than talking about building a stupid wall, which will never get built, other than that wall, did you hear any actual ideas? did you hear even one solid ro posal for trump for increasing income or improving your kids' educati education? or creating even one single good paying job? look, let's face it. donald trump has no real plans for jobs or for college can kids or for seniors, no plans to make anything great for anyone except can rich guys like donald trump.
10:39 pm
>> okay. it's all good cop/bad cop. hillary clinton doesn't have to do that because she does it for her. >> yeah. >> why is she the perfect person to attack donald trump, though? >> i think to have michelle obama out there just being positive is as effective. but i thought the most effective line was what kind of man would do that? and when you go through what kind of man, what kind of man. and then the problem for the republicans is then they have to say what kind of party are we that we are now the party of this man? and i think this is really going to be the election where people begin to say, i'm going to put my country before my party. and the fact that he could not get the grandes of the republican party there, the romneys, the bushes, the kasichs, can come back with another day and maybe we will
10:40 pm
have a compassionat conservative party again. but we have a party of hate and fear right now with donald trump. >> everybody stick around. we have a lot more to talk about here from philadelphia. i promise you, kevin madden will get a chance to speak tonight. angela will talk, as well. bakari won't hog the stage any more.. we'll get bakari a beer. >> someone on twitter said, you guys are only talking about hillary clinton. well, we're at the democratic national convention. beyonce? come on. we'll be right back. when josh atkins books at laquinta.com.
10:41 pm
he gets a ready for you alert the second his room is ready. so you know what he gives? i'll give you everything i've got and then some. he gives a hundred and ten percent! i'm confident this 10% can boost your market share. feel me lois? i'm feeling you. boom! look at that pie chart. the ready for you alert, only at laquinta.com. "you don't want to live with mom and dad forever, do you?" "boo!" (laughs) "i'm making smoothies!" "well...i'm not changing." "so, how can i check my credit score?" "credit karma. don't worry, it's free." "hmmmm." "credit karma. give yourself some credit." that i was ion the icelandic game show. and everyone knows me for discounts, like safe driver and paperless billing. but nobody knows the box behind the discounts. oh, it's like my father always told me -- "put that down. that's expensive."
10:42 pm
of course i save people an average of nearly $600, but who's gonna save me? [ voice breaking ] and that's when i realized... i'm allergic to wasabi. well, i feel better. it's been five minutes. talk about progress. [ chuckles ] okay.
10:43 pm
10:44 pm
and we're back now live at the cnn grill. speakers tonight not missing an opportunity to take on donald trump. whether or not they mentioned him by name, that's a different story. trending tonight, you mentioned, angela, it was michelle obama and then cory booker, right? i kept thinking when i was watching cory booker, this is like barack obama. >> because he was yelling or because he was good? >> i don't know that -- >> he was a little yelling the. >> kind of gave the democrats a version of rudy giuliani. >> not at all. i beg to differ with my good friend from the other side of the aisle, kevin. no, i actually think that that is not yelling. i think that was passion. i thought his speech was very compelling. my favorite part was the endling where he brought up maya angelou on for so many reasons. i thought it was a really, really strong speef. i was surprised that i really
10:45 pm
liked him speech far more than elizabeth warren's speech. and just now when i was watching the clip, i was like, oh, this really did play different in the room than it did on air. >> it always does. >> yeah. >> so i thought he was great because i really like cory booker. i think he's nice person. personally i like him. but i thought it was a little yelly and maybe he was trying to yell over the crowd. >> i was kidding before. i thought it was an effective speech. i'd like to know what you think on it, that there was a lot of tension in the room. and i think when cory booker kept speak b, he gave an as rationale speech, much different than -- i want to get to elizabeth warren later. but it seemed like the tensions begin to dissipate as he confronted some of the boos that were in the room. because cory booker is a very
10:46 pm
likable person. cory booker, whether or not you interact with him on twitter, he believes ins those things that aren't tangible. he literally believes in love, truth, justice, peace, hopes, he believes those things. and i think what we do and what i do isn't something who admired these different figures, sometimes we get lumped into with some things he should not. corey booker did not deliver the barack obama 17thance speech. for the purposes of tonight, you could be black and get on that stage and it still not break out. cory booker, there are more poem tonight that know his name than yesterday. >> i thought he was good. he reminded me of -- and that's a complicate. >> but underlying the entire
10:47 pm
evening was this gulf in the entire party. and you can see it in the dirchbls between booker's speech and then elizabeth warren and bernie sanders speech. where they were talking about the fact that things have gotten worse over the last 40 years. but when people believe america had has turn the corner under barack obama and people who believes america continues to lie down -- >> yes. >> now, i'm not sure where kevin would stand on this, but i would say republicans as a whole are going to say, listen, the maven stream media who were piling on with the democrats and ours is just as good. and the reason why is there's a different type of passion. there's a lot of union members that are in that hall who are extremely passionate. as far as cory booker goes, though, i do think you can
10:48 pm
compare it to obama's speef. but i think tour years from now, six years from now, we're going to look back and say, do you remember that speech that you gave? a lot of people forget about the speech that he gave four years ago. it wasn't prime time. safety doesn't come in a box. it's not a banner that goes on a wall. it's not something you do now and then. or when it's convenient. it's using state-of-the-art simulators to better prepare for any situation. it's giving offshore teams onshore support. and it's empowering anyone to stop a job if something doesn't seem right. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. at the the lincoln summer init's time to relax.t, from the moment you take your foot off the brake,
10:49 pm
the brake stays engaged and you stay put. taking the legwork out of stop and go traffic. and even hills. that's the more human side of engineering. this is the lincoln summer invitation, hurry in now to your dealer for limited time offers. lease a lincoln mkx for $349 a month or get 0% apr for 60 months and just announced $1,000 summer invitation bonus. [ boss ] it is a very smart plan. so we're all on board? [ paul ] no. this is a stupid plan. hate drama? go to cars.com.
10:50 pm
research. price. find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama. hello welcome to holiday inn. running our own business, we've been traveling a lot. a hotel looking to help small businesses succeed is incredible. thank you. holiday inn is an extension of our team. book your next journey at holidayinn.com thank you. holiday inn is an extension of our team. esuthey offer a claim-freece a smarter discount.h saves money. because safe drivers cost less to insure, which saves money. they let you pay your bill electronically, which saves postage, which saves money. they settle claims quickly, which saves time, which saves money. and they offer home and auto insurance, so you can bundle your policies, which saves money. esurance was born online and built to save. and when they save, you save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
10:51 pm
♪balance transferot to othat's my game♪ ♪bank you never heard of, that's my name♪ haa! thank you. uh, next. watch me make your interest rate... disappear. there's gotta be a better way to find the right card. whatever kind you're searching for, creditcards.com lets you compare hundreds of cards to find the one that's right for you. just search, compare, and apply at creditcards.com. ♪a one, a two, a three percent cash back♪
10:52 pm
we've been talking about all the speeches. and we were talking about anastasia, a disability rights advocate. i spoke to her a moment ago. you were great. >> thank you so much. >> how do you feel? >> it's unbrief many. totally surreal. >> yeah? >> and it's such an honor to have been asked to be here and to get the reception that i've already gotten from the speech. i just can't believe it. i'm so grateful am honored to be here and supporting hillary. >> you got the call, right? >> yeah. >> who called you? what happened?
10:53 pm
>> i got the call from huma. one of hillary's top assistants, but when she called me, they were both with her, so hillary and bill were with her when she called. and she told me that they were standing there and wanted to know if i would speak at the convention. >> and you said? >> yes. after, you know, getting my bearings about me. it took me a while to register ha sh what she was saying, but of course i said yes, yes, yes, i'll be there. >> why do you think this is so important? >> because i think hillary's going to be an amazing president, and what i said in the speech couldn't be more true. she is the only candidate in this race that sees me and the 66 other, 56 million other people with intellectual and
10:54 pm
physical disabilities in this country, and she also is obviously the best dr candidate for women in this country, and essentially the best candidate for a diverse america. >> you said that donald trump doesn't speak for you in this speech. when you saw him, and he's denied it, though, when you saw him making fun of the "new york times" reporter, what did you think? >> unfortunately, it didn't shock me. because as we've seen, he's made fun of virtually every, everyone he can possibly make fun of in this election. and i was obviously very personal lly offended by it, an that's why i felt so strongly about speaking up about it, because we can't elect someone in this country who doesn't,
10:55 pm
anyone who doesn't agree with him is stupid or wrong. and that's just not who we are in america. and i'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that hillary is elected. >> do you believe him when he said he wasn't making fun of the reporter? >> no. do i believe what he said? >> that he said he wasn't make being fun of the reporter. >> absolutely, not. it was clear from heis gestures not only was he making fun of him, but he made derogatory physical gestures referring specifically to the reporter's physical disability. so i don't understand how he could possibly deny it, and even if he tries, the evidence is, has been all over the news and everywhere, so -- >> finally, what do you say to
10:56 pm
him? >> exactly what i said today, that donald trump doesn't represent me at all. and i'm proud as a woman to say that, as a young person with a disability to say that and, yeah. >> thank you, anastasia. you were amazing. thank you so much. >> thank you. >> appreciate having you on. >> thank you for having me. >> very brave young lady. we'll be right back. "ow..."
10:57 pm
"are you okay?" "yeah, i just got charged for my credit monitoring. that's how i know it"s working." "ah. you know you can go on creditkarma.com and check it out there. it's completely free." "really?" "yeah" "oh, that didn't hurt at all." "yeah, completely painless." "credit karma. give yourself some credit." i wanti did my ancestrydna and where i came from. and i couldn't wait to get my pie chart. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know more about my native american heritage. it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com.
10:58 pm
10:59 pm
11:00 pm
michelle obama makes a speak that rocks the house in philadelphia. and bernie sanders vows to do everything he can to make hillary clinton president. it's after hours here at the democratic convention. we're live at the cnn grill. the first lady brings the convention to its feet in a night that starts with a display of democrats divided ends with

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on