Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  August 29, 2016 8:00pm-9:01pm PDT

8:00 pm
enepeople want power.hallenge. and power plants account for more than a third of energy-related carbon emissions. the challenge is to capture the emissions before they're released into the atmosphere. exxonmobil is a leader in carbon capture. our team is working to make this technology better, more affordable so it can reduce emissions around the world. that's what we're working on right now. ♪ energy lives here. the ford freedom sales event is on! our biggest event of the year just got better!
8:01 pm
♪ announcing zero for seventy-two across the entire lineup of ford cars, trucks and suvs. plus, tagged vehicles now get a thousand smart bonus. that's freedom from interest... and freedom to choose with ford. america's best selling brand. ♪ now get 0% financing for 72 months across the entire ford lineup, plus specially tagged vehicles get a thousand smart bonus.
8:02 pm
[ clock titime. ] you only have so much. that's why we want to make sure you won't have to wait on hold. and you won't have to guess when we'll turn up. because after all we should fit into your life. not the other way around.
8:03 pm
this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. we're back with bishop wayne jackson, bruce levell, and charles blow. so bishop, you were going to respond -- charles was saying why didn't he do this from the very beginning, reach out to african-americans? only now in the last minutes of the campaign that he needs minority voters that he is reaching out. it is perceived by many who are sitting back and watching. >> no, this is not true. the trump campaign for i think about the past at least two months, i know a month and a half, they have been investigating the impact network and myself and people around the country know the integrity. i walk in and what i stand for, i'm not selling my soul for anybody. i mean, i want to stand for what's truth. i mean, i'm a father. i'm a husband of 36 years. i got nine children and i have 19 grandchildren. so, you know, i've done my part when god told adam to be
8:04 pm
fruitful and multiply. i did that part. i kept that commandment. but what i'm saying in essence is this, we got to see the future of our children. you know, i have a campaign going on that states no vote, no voice. and we're trying to engage people in this voting process because a lot of people are really turned off. >> okay. let me ask you this. speaking of this process, does it bother you at all the birther movement against the president? the central park five. >> yeah. >> being sued for, you know, unfair housing practices. >> let me -- let me say this. i voted for obama twice. my wife loves president obama. i respect him as a president. i respect him as a husband and a father and, you know, and being an intellectual -- i respect him. so, you know -- >> but donald trump -- >> huh? >> but the question was about
8:05 pm
donald trump. >> okay. you're talking about -- well, i said, just saying this, is that, you know, there's -- in a lot of the african-americans' hearts that feel that, you know, these are things that didn't go well with us. period. because we love our first african-american president and -- >> are you willing to overlook those things from his things he's said? >> i want to engage -- see, we're too emotional and what we're having now, we're having people -- i have people facebooking me, tweeting me, what are you doing, why are you doing this? i feel that if donald trump wants to lay out his policies then we need to engage with him and we need to find out what he's going to do when he -- you know, if he becomes president because one of them going to be president. hillary or mr. trump. we better make sure not only donald trump but senator or secretary clinton, you know,
8:06 pm
give us, you know, some answers because, and, look, under the bill clinton administration, i prospered very well and a lot of people prospered very well. and i'd been to the white house several times when he was president. this is not about putting donald trump up and putting hillary clinton down. this is about making sure that we are engaging both of them to make sure what's going to happen in our community if one of them becomes president. >> okay, charles, you seem skeptical. go ahead. >> well, no, i mean, this is the thing. he's had a campaign. you've had a chance to do this. and you can't make some sort of false equivalency that they're both kind of the same and that the democrats and republicans are somehow sort of the same and that they're kind of -- we just have to figure out which is the less of the evils among the democrats and republicans. no. there are right now 20-plus
8:07 pm
states implementing voter res x restrictions to try to take -- to reduce the number of people who can vote which we know will have a disproportionate impact on poor and minority communities including black people. we know that we have seen over the last, you know, four or five years people around the country trying to implement drug testing for, you know, kind of welfare in states. even though all the research says it's a waste of money that people who receive welfare don't receive it in any -- don't use drugs in any greater number than people who don't. none of that. it is a direct way of appealing to a particular kind of sentiment and people think that more black people are on welfare than other people. these are not the same kinds of parties. these are just -- >> what specifically does that have to do with trump? >> pretend to pretend that the democrats have failed you and, therefore, you need to turn away from that. it takes away from the fact
8:08 pm
that -- >> well, they have. >> -- the republicans are actively engaged in trying to take away your rights, actively engaged in trying to suppress you right now. >> specifically to donald trump, how is that -- >> no, he is making two pitches. one is, your life is so horrible that i'm the only person who can fix it. the second is, democratic party has failed you and what do you have to lose by turning to republican party? >> yeah. >> both of those things have enormous problems. enormous problems. >> bruce? >> let me say this now -- >> bishop, can we let bruce just weigh in? >> yes, yes. >> go ahead, bruce. >> well, i just want to clarify some things especially on the birther, i know you don't agree with me on this, don, we've had this before. the birther movement came from the hillary campaign, the whisper in 2007 with biden. >> there's no evidence that is true. every fact check says that's not true. i actually sask asked her about. >> of course she would say -- >> brouuce, i'd like to deal wi
8:09 pm
facts here. there is no correct evidence. we've gone over and over and over this. >> respectfully disagree. >> it was donald trump who -- >> respectfully disagree. >> -- was the author of the birther -- >> i disagree. also in '73 they keep doing the sound bite about unfair housing. there was no merit to that justice deal. also there's no -- "new york times" reported there was no evidence that donald trump was gearing tenants, you know, to and from his places. that's totally false. i wish the left or whoever keep putting the same lie out in front of the american people because it's a lie. >> well, the justice department investigated. it was settled. he promise epromised, he and hi promised to reach out -- >> with no -- >> reach out to -- let me finish then you can get in. >> okay. >> reach out to minority tenants, people who were going to lease in those buildings and promised to do so then three years later the swrus thjustice
8:10 pm
deapartment says they weren't lives up to it, asked them to do it again. fl there was no evidence what happened after that. >> no evidence of donald trump steering tenants away, being prejudiced over one ethnic group or another. it's fair for the people to understand donald trump is not like that. i want to clarify that because i know it keeps coming up. >> thank you, bruce. bishop, will you come back after the meeting? >> don, let me say one quick thing. >> you're going to get me in trouble. go ahead. >> one quick second. i found out that there are some african-americans out there that not vocally saying they're supporting donald trump but they are. and some of these are pastors. i was surprised by the number of them that's questioning, you know, everything. so i'm not saying that one person is bad. i'm not going to demonize none of them. what we want to do on impact network, we want to engage both of them to see what's right for
8:11 pm
our community. >> okay. >> you say you're going to make our community better, let's see how you're going to do it. >> i got to go. please come back. tell your wife i'm sorry for calling you dwayne. i had dwyane wade on my brain. >> i told you i'm going to say a prayer for you tonight. >> say a prayer for all of us. >> thank you, mr. jackson. all right, bishop, thank you very much. charles, bruce as well. the clinton campaign, what it doesn't need, the candidate's right-hand woman, huma abedin furious and sickened in announcing her separation from former congressman anthony weiner. his alleged sexting partner, a trump supporter. and i didn't get here alone. there were people who listened along the way. people who gave me options. kept me on track. and through it all, my retirement never got left behind. so today, i'm prepared for anything we may want tomorrow to be. every someday needs a plan.
8:12 pm
let's talk about your old 401(k) today. every day starts better with a healthy smile. start yours with philips sonicare, the no.1 choice of dentists. compared to oral-b 7000, philips sonicare flexcare platinum removes significantly more plaque. this is the sound of sonic technology cleaning deep between teeth. hear the difference? get healthier gums in just 2 weeks vs a manual toothbrush and experience an amazing feel of clean. innovation and you. philips sonicare. save now when you buy philips sonicare.
8:13 pm
philips sonicare. ♪ [engine revs] ♪ [cheering] ♪ the highly advanced audi a4. ♪
8:14 pm
like having something your fit you, just right, thank you randall. every stitch and seam of your home insurance, tailored to fit you and your budget. with unique features, like claim free rewards... ohh! customized home protection extra features all at an affordable price! i'm going to live in this. in means getting more from your home insurance with an expert allstate agent. it's good to be in, good hands.
8:15 pm
hillary clinton's right-hand woman huma abedin straeparating from her husband anthony weiner. here to discuss, mel robbins. and political editor of rightalerts.com. mel, i'm going to start with you. according to two sources huma abedin was, quote, furious and sickened by this picture on the front page of the "new york post" this morning. what on earth was anthony weiner thinking? >> what was he thinking? i'm not sure what he was thinking. but what he was doing was disgusting. you know, look, don, i think the deal here is this a guy that's done this not once, which cost him his seat in congress, not twice, which cost him his attempt to run for mayor, but three times which is now finally cost him his marriage. i think he was thinking that he
8:16 pm
can't stand the fact his wife is more powerful than he is and he's going to exert his power in the only way he has left which is through these disgusting texts. i mean, the whole thing, it's stranger than fiction, frankly. >> it boggles the mind. i have to ask as an attorney, do you see any legal issues at play here that he is, you know, in a sexually suggestive photo with his son also in the frame? >> criminally, criminally definitely not because the child's not in danger and the state of new york, you've got the -- for there to be the child pornography laws, the child has to be either simulating or engaged in the sex act and clearly the child's not. will he be investigated by child services? probably. but there's no evidence of any endangerment or neglect. so i can't imagine that this is going to amount to anything legally, don. >> i have to apologize to scottie both looking at that picture going -- >> does anthony not know the word filter or snapchat? two words i think -- that face, alone, how he thought that was
8:17 pm
sexy in any form. i have to tell you, that definitely should be used for an abstinence ad right there. >> trump was asked about the scandal on the dory montson radio show today attempting to leak the scandal to hillary clinton's right-hand woman. talking about judgment. what do you think? >> obviously professionally i don't have anything to say about huma. this is a hard scandal as a mother and wife. the other side, enemies will use any weakness they can find. obviously we have a big weakness in anthony weiner. i would hope since huma has access being hillary clinton's close confidant and friend and professionally around they would not sit there and use this and possibly down the road if she was elected president, huma had access in the white house, could this be used as possible blackmail material? nobody wants this out there, a picture out there the main media, and unfortunately maybe we got lucky and caught this now. >> he's saying specifically this
8:18 pm
goes to hillary clinton's judgment to have someone, huma abedin, close to her, have a husband like him and she had access to classified information and somehow he knew about classified information by being a spouse. >> huma has been part of the hillary clinton camp since '94. there's been no evidence while hillary clinton was secretary of state that this might have happened but it might have been a part of the 30,000 e-mails. we don't know. so i think -- i think we're opening a pandora's box if we start looking into campaign and campaign staff and family records. i think we could do a whole network on that. >> mel, how does this affect hillary clinton's campaign and do you think this goes to her judgment? >> absolutely not. i don't think it affects it at all. the only thing that would have is if she'd given him a third chance. the fact she's kicked him to the curb makes it clear the marriage is over. it's ridiculous and a stretch to attach any connection to her server to this. it shows that trump have grasping for anything and there's a lot of desperate guys in this story, don.
8:19 pm
>> do you think -- she isn't expected to address this sexting scandal. is that a smart move, mel? >> i don't think she should. i think she should do what trump does is not talk about the issues that really confront them. they should just move on. this is a private issue between those two. weiner is clearly a scumbag and i think she needs to move on with her life and get this marriage over, put it behind her. it has nothing to do with the campaign. she should keep it that way by not addressing it. >> do you think that she should address this? do you think the clinton campaign should address this? >> on one hand she could use this as an advantage. she took a lot of criticism over standing by bill clinton, a lot said she should kick him to the curb. she could say i see both sides. she could actually use this as an opportunity to encourage. to that address, i think it's also kind of karma. remember last week we were talking about steve bannon and his personal history and now we've got it -- i mean, can any of these candidates be original on their own and create their
8:20 pm
own scandals without copycatting each other? >> we talked about steve bannon and the domestic thing, once maybe, one question to kayleigh. i remember having the question. i'm not even sure i asked her about it because it's a personal issue from years ago itch which d denied. the issue with bannon was the breitbart thing. something tells me if you were addressing a candidate, you would tell them shut up. >> i think this opens up pandora's box. all these folks don't need to be talking about technology or servers. >> let her address it but if you were advising her, you'd be like no way, done to it. all right. thank you. i appreciate it. both of you. scottie and mel. when we come back, hall of famer famer isaiah. and colin kaepernick's refusal to stand up for the flag, a country he says oppresses black people and people of color. he's not the first to protest. listen to tommy fist, olympic gold medalist, who raised his fist in protest in 1968.
8:21 pm
>> colin kaepernick, age 28, professional football player, making money, very viable in the system, is risking his future for something he really believed in. great grains cereals are made from delicious clusters, real fruit, wholesome nuts and crunchy flakes. good things come together to make one great thing. great grains. why be good when you can be great?
tv-commercial
8:22 pm
♪ using 60,000 points from my chase ink card i bought all the framework... wire... and plants needed to give my shop... a face... no one will forget. see what the power of points can do for your business. learn more at chase.com/ink
8:23 pm
8:24 pm
8:25 pm
this is a monday night headline that is becoming unfortunately all too familiar. a deadly weekend in chicago. dozens of shootings. and at least eight people killed. one of them, one of them tragically a young mother. the cousin of nba star dwyane wade. i want to talk about this now with basketball hall of fame, hall of famer isaiah thomas and friend. thank you very much. >> good to see you. >> good to have you. you doing okay? how's your wife, family? >> everybody's good. >> thank you. dwyane wade, good friend of yours. >> yes. >> his cousin, her name is nykea aldridge, mother of four, pushing one of her children in stroller, shot on friday night. how is the family? how is dwyane wade and the family doing tonight. >> surprisingly they're doing quite well in terms of -- i spoke to his agent, henry
8:26 pm
thomas. dwyane has been on the forefront of his tythis type of movement terms of police brutality, speaking out against violence in all communities for a long time. he and his mom are pillars in community along with father pfleger. to have this hit so close to home particularly on a night right after we had such a positive coming together and talking in chicago, about police violence, about community violence, about trying to come together. to have this hit so close to home, we all feel for him, but knowing dwyane and his family the way we all do, we know they're going to take this and lead from it and bring our community closer together. >> there's a foundation in chicago, i remember years ago right as i was leaving chicago as an anchor there and coming to work with cnn, i emceed one of his foundation events and they do really great work in chicago.
8:27 pm
it's been a number of years but i do -- you know, we're talking about lives. i'm just -- let me give you some of the numbers here, okay? what makes all of this worse is this tragic shooting this weekend in chicago pd says there were 72 shootings, 8 fatalities and as of midnight sunday, there were 459 murders so far this year. how do we fix this, isaiah? >> you know, there's -- this has been a problem in all communities for a long time, particularly in poverty-stricken communities, and how do we fix it? we always talk about the need for jobs, the need for employment, the need for, you know, adequate food, and just opening up recreation centers where all kids can come and play, get to know each other. when you look at the educational system, some of our educational systems in terms of the schools are broken. they need to be fixed.
8:28 pm
so having access to just quality of life and a lot of our kids in these communities, they're just asking for a chance. they're asking for hope. they're asking to be able to see and live that american dream that we all talk about, and, you know, just to give you an example, my first ten years of life on the west side of chicago, in '66 martin luther king visited chicago and my mom marched with him in the cicero march and '68 martin luther king died, right? the chicago riots break out. i remember we were on congress and hullman. the military tank pulled up on the expressway. we were occupied for two, three days. in '69, hampton got killed. those were my first years of life dealing with chicago and the chicago police and policing in this community. so what's happened now, i
8:29 pm
believe, under superintendent johnson is that, you know, now you're getting feedback. now you're getting community relations. now you're getting people to talk and in this same situation, in this same environment, my brother became a police officer, i got two nephews that are police officers now. so when we -- when the community continues to ask for people who look like us, who grew up in our communities, who can police our communities, then we can start having communication and we can open up the dialogue and when we start opening up the dialogue and people communicate and talk, then we move our country further. >> there's not a lot of that going on lately because even when you want to talk to certain members of law enforcement, they become angry and, you know, defensive and which is just surprising to me especially considering the environment that we're in. it would seem like it would be open to suggestion and doing what you said and because of the political environment. here is what republican presidential candidate donald trump tweeted out about nykea
8:30 pm
aldridge's death. he said "dwyane wade's cousin was shot and killed walking her baby in chicago. just what i have been saying. african-americans will vote trump." i've heard that before from him. from law enforcement. oh, i predicted this. this was -- i knew this was going to happen. you're like, is that how you respond to this ? what's your reaction to that? >> we need compassion and leadership in these difficult times, and what -- where we need to go from here is the understanding of family, forgiveness, and also how do we move forward? we don't need to politicize these murders. we don't need to politicize this event. but we do need to show leadership and lead from this in how we bring this country together, in how we keep giving people the opportunity to really live this american dream. >> do you think trump can fix this? do you think he's the one to
8:31 pm
show leadership? >> i see where -- i need to be careful here. >> you're a straight shooter but -- >> i'll be straight, and i don't know if he can. i know hillary's record in terms of what she's being done in the forefront of african-american issues for a very long time. it's documented. it's there. you can go back and you can look at what she was doing in the '70s, in the '80s, in the 90s iss, what she was fighting for. trump is new on the scene. we are have to see what he's saying and listen to what he's saying. >> that's a very diplomatic answer but it's real. thank you. always a pleasure. >> always. >> appreciate you coming on. >> thank you. >> my regards to your family. thank you. up next, the firestorm over nfl star colin kaepernick's protest. i'm going to talk with one of the men who raised his fist to protest at the mexico city
8:32 pm
olympics back in 1968. taking fi from nature's bounty to support my heart. eating better, keeping healthy. so that no matter what happens in the future, my "future self" will thank me. thank you! 45 years of experience has taught us: no matter what the future holds, you're always better off healthy. nature's bounty ♪ the sun'll come out for people with heart failure, tomorrow is not a given. but entresto is a medicine that helps make more tomorrows possible. ♪ tomorrow, tomorrow... ♪ i love ya, tomorrow in the largest heart failure study ever. entresto helped more people stay alive and out of the hospital than a leading heart failure medicine. women who are pregnant must not take entresto. it can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. don't take entresto with an ace inhibitor or aliskiren. if you've had angioedema while taking an ace or arb medicine, don't take entresto. the most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure... ...kidney problems, or high potassium in your blood.
8:33 pm
♪ tomorrow, tomorrow i love ya, tomorrow.♪ ask your heart doctor about entresto. and help make tomorrow possible. ♪ you're only a day away ♪ enepeople want power.hallenge. and power plants account for more than a third of energy-related carbon emissions. the challenge is to capture the emissions before they're released into the atmosphere.
8:34 pm
exxonmobil is a leader in carbon capture. our team is working to make this technology better, more affordable so it can reduce emissions around the world. that's what we're working on right now. ♪ energy lives here.
8:35 pm
decision by 49ers quarterback colin kaepernick to
8:36 pm
sit during the national anthem is one of many moments of personal protests by american athletes over the years. his protest is being compared to this one at the 1968 olympics in mexico city. americans athletes tommy smith and john carlos raising tear black gloved fists as a symbol of black power and human rights. i want to talk about it with tommy smith, olympic gold medalist in the picture. great to have you here tonight. you doing okay? >> i'm doing fine, don. thank you. how are you today? >> i'm doing very well. the famous photo you were the gold medalist, john carlos won the bronze. a 200 meter sprint. listen to san francisco 49ers' colin kaepernick on sunday. >> i'll continue to sit. i'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. to me, this is something that has to change, and when there's significant change and i feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent and this country is representing the people that it's supposed to,
8:37 pm
i'll stand. this stand wasn't for me. this stand wasn't because i feel like i'm being put down in any kind of way. this is because i'm seeing things happen to people that don't have a voice. it brings awareness. everybody knows what's going on and this sheds more light on it. >> mr. smith, what's your reaction when you see that almost 50 years have passed since the mexico games and black athletes continue to protest? similar -- >> utterly amazing. the need to shadow something that came to fruition 48-plus years ago, and young people standing up for the right for that amendment to continue to move toward a betterment of a society which opportunity recognize everyone with parity or equality. this colin kaepernick, age 38, professional football player,
8:38 pm
making money, very viable in the system, is risking his future for something he really believed in. he said very forthright that it's not for me, but it's for those who don't have a platform. my words resonate across the nation to those who don't have a platform that i'm standing here in solidarity for you because the need is for all people, not just those with money. >> did you feel the same way -- were you worried that you would face the sort of criticism that you did, that you may not have a future as an athlete? because you got a lot of criticism back in 1968. >> well, don, you know, the fight for the olympic project for human rights and what it means started way before 1968. it started early '67. to route the need to move forward. we had to encounter abuse from other people plus the athlete s we were going forward to educate
8:39 pm
them on what they were doing. it wasn't a militant move. it wasn't a move of hate. it was a move to solidify the need for young men, especially black men, to involve themselves in something that's proactive, something they can feel viable in doing and i think colin is doing basically the same thing but the people have changed minds over the years and are much more deg dating when people stand up, especially this type of arena, a gap that has been going on for many years. that bridge needed crossing and he's making the step to do that. the man doesn't hate. he's just trying to reveal a need which is viable to move forward. >> let me read this. this is from the 49ers. two statements. one of them said "in respecting such american principles, freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate or in the in our celebration of the national anthem." my question is, his protest, do
8:40 pm
you think it's disrespectful? you think he's doing the right thing, right? >> i believe colin in his own mind is doing the right thing for people to understand the need for change. i'm very sure that his calling for this particular action using the flag as a demonstration that that is not relevant to everyone as it is to those who can pay for their i' ideolistic attitud in the system. he's on the road for the people -- those who cannot be the talent in the field of communicating a need to a -- for parity or equality. >> he has a platform and to many people, they don't, and he's the voice -- >> many people, it's not a good platform because it's using red, white and blue. >> yeah. >> that is what the mainstream of his moving forward is, the country, not a people, but the country for all people.
8:41 pm
and yes, what he did, it was very controversial, as in '68, but who is going to be responsible for accurate move toward solidarity unless you are heard? >> we are -- >> number one, football player, number two, as a person who cares about the poor. >> we're in this very contentious political season now. it's coming down to the wires who's going to be president. you know one candidate weighed in today, donald trump. this is kiro radio. listen to this. >> well, i have followed it and i think it's -- i think it's personally not a good thing. i think it's a terrible thing. and, you know, he'll -- maybe should find a country that works better for him. let him try. it won't happen. >> what's your reaction, find another country? >> yeah, well don can buy a country so he can talk his trash about someone who's trying to help the poor people and as far as leaving this country, i was told the same thing back in the
8:42 pm
1968 olympic game. take this, go back to africa, we hope the plane crashes on the way. there are still insidious idealist idiots like donald trump who criticizes nose who are trying to help people who he stomp on. and don, you know this as well as anyone else, your need is for money and not for the love of people. >> yeah. i want to ask you about this. i want you to take look at some of the pictures of black athletes protesting. some of them not protesting. lebron james wearing a t-shirt saying "i can't breathe" in reference to eric garner's death. wnba players, black lives matter t-shirts. st. louis rams protesting the grand jury decision in ferguson, missouri, with the hands up, don't shoot gesture. gabby douglas at the rio olympics didn't put her hand over her heart during the anthem causing an uproar. she wasn't even protesting. do you think black athletes get harsher criticism when they protest or things that are perceived as protests even when they're not?
8:43 pm
>> it's the fact black athletes are looked on much more harshly than anyone else. people like dwyane, jordan, people who care about others, actor jesse williams. we can go on and on about people. look where it's coming from, coming from the acting world, and there's a preponderance of blacks in those situations, so when it comes to making a change and moving in another direction, and becomes a black, people will always criticize that because we are moving forward. we're the ones that's being tattered in the system. therefore, we are to speak up in those realms. we can't go where donald go because donald don't go.to spea in those realms. we can't go where donald go because donald don't go. i understand those who are sick -- kaepernick is american.
8:44 pm
he said earlier today, don, he was adopted. he's biracial. but he understands because he was raised in the black world. >> yeah. >> so he looks the way he looks but his action reveals a black person who is honestly accountable for where he comes from. >> yeah. and it's fortunate, we're all fortunate enough to live in a country where you can protest your government. >> sure. >> protest the actions of your government. >> i tried to hit on that. >> can i ask you a question? the black glove and socks. where are they now? >> i think my son ate -- my little son who was 6 months old ate the gloves and i wore the socks that winter because my feet were cold in san jose. so i did not offer my feelings on the victory stand because i thought it was going to be a historical moment. it was from the heart and needed for people because i knew the people from which i came who needed something to rely on. >> yeah. >> and this is what tommie smith did from the heart and not the
8:45 pm
buck. >> tommie smith, i could talk to you all day but i have to go. thank you so much, sir. >> you're welcome, don. take care of yourself, son. >> you as well. coming up, a battle of doctors' notes. donald trump issues a challenge to hillary clinton. americans are buying more and more of everything online. and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service to get it there. because when you ship with us, your business becomes our business. that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you
8:46 pm
8:47 pm
if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, isn't it time to let the real you shine through? introducing otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea,
8:48 pm
nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you. bloating? pain? you may have ibs. ask your doctor if non-prescription ibgard is right for you. ibgard calms the angry gut. available at cvs, walgreens and rite aid.
8:49 pm
let's discuss now, is there a double standard when it comes to black athletes speaking out? back with me, symone sanders, betsy mccaughey. colin kaepernick said he sat down during the national anthem to draw attention between discrimination and black communities. here it is. >> i mean, i've had times where one of my roommates was moving out of a house in college and because we were the ochnly blac people in that neighborhood, the cops got called and all of us had guns drawn on us. i mean, came in the house without knocking, guns drawn on one of my teammates and roommates. so i have experienced it. people close to me have experienced this. this isn't something that's a one-off case here, a one-off case there. this has become habitual. it's become a habit. so it's something that needs to be addressed.
8:50 pm
>> i understand that you're angry people are even questioning his patriotism? >> yes. you know, ryan lochte is an international embarrassment and nobody questions his patriotism. protest is part of the american fabric. colin has the absolute right to protest, and if this is his form, he should do it. and secondly, i'm glad that he's speaking up and speaking out against what we know is happening in our country. and two, talking about his experiences of racism, his experiences with police officers, because we need to have these candid conversations and folks need to know that this post racial society that people think we live in, there are still things happening out there. >> he has the right to protest, it's so disrespectful, but isn't that his right as an american citizen? >> absolutely, it is his first amendment right. i think the bigger issue here, and it really brings in the
8:51 pm
tragedy that happened in chicago this week with the shooting of the mother of four children, and the large number of homicides in chicago, baltimore, cincinnati, los angeles, all have seen a huge surge in homicides this year. and it is directly related to the less attack on policing. and that's what i am most disturbed about. the villification of police officers has led to discouragement of policing in inner cities. one of the reasons i find donald trump's approach on this so promising, he's assured the black community in the inner city he will support policing, fair policing, but adequate policing, and he will use as one of his helpers, one of his advisers, mayor giuliani, who made new york city the safest largest city in america.
8:52 pm
>> hold on, hold on. there is no -- just so again, we like facts on this show. there is no direct evidence that puts the black lives matter movement -- >> you're wrong. heather mcdonald at the manhattan institute and others have shown that because of the vilification of blacks, black police officers, black leaders in the police department have said that police are discouraged from active -- proactive policing -- >> that is an assumption -- >> no, it's documented. [ overlapping speakers ] >> increase in homicides in cincinnati, baltimore, los angeles, it's called the ferguson effect. and it is well documented by scholars who have looked at it. >> no, the movement is not attacking police officers. colin kaepernick's protest is not an attack on police officers. >> i heard him. >> pardon me.
8:53 pm
there is a real issue in this country when black and brown people are targeted in their own communities. when time after time the people that are gunned down are black men and women. >> they're being gunned down by blacks. >> we keep talking about nykea aldridge as dwyane wade's cousin. we need to say her name. the majority of police officers do amazing work, but we have to address those police officers that don't. we need to talk about police accountability. >> i would just like to cite the work of professor roland fowler at harvard. he just published a study that demonstrates that police officers are not more likely to shoot -- >> we talked a about that study and it is not seen as legitimate because of the size. ten police departments around the country. >> ten police departments but --
8:54 pm
[ overlapping speakers ] >> we can't just name harvard and pretend because it's harvard -- >> we've done extensive research on this. all the facts that i'm stating are not opinion. kevin? >> i think there are legitimate concerns and criticisms on both sides. i think the question that i would ask related to colin kaepernick's stance is, i think simone is right, he absolutely has a right to his opinion and a right to expression his opinion, that is the american way. just as those who criticize him have that same right. the question is whether or not it's going to create a dialogue that will solve some of the problems. it's certainly elevated the issue and has people talking about it. but is it going to be one that fosters increased cooperation by those that have legitimate criticisms on both sides. i hope that's the case.
8:55 pm
a lot of young people look up to colin kaepernick. there are a lot of sports fans that don't see it through -- they see a wealthy athlete and think he should. have problems. that's not the case. just because somebody has a bunch of money now and has signed a professional contract to play athletics doesn't mean that their experiences or some of the problems that they've seen in the community go away. so ideally, we'll foster more cooperation. >> john, quickly, if you can. >> i'm surprised that colin doesn't take any opportunity he has to get off the bench. and i think if we're going to celebrate the first amendment, his expression of whatever he thinks, it should be across the board. when the dallas cowboys wanted to put pads or signs on their uniform in honor of the dallas police officers that were shot and killed, they said no, no, no, we're apolitical. got to let everyone do it. >> thank you, all. we'll be right back.
8:56 pm
isaac hou has mastered gravity defying moves to amaze his audience. great show. here you go. now he's added a new routine. making depositing a check seem so effortless. easy to use chase technology, for whatever you're trying to master. isaac, are you ready? yeah. chase. so you can. i'm hall of famer jerry west and my life is basketball. but that doesn't stop my afib from leaving me at a higher risk of stroke. that'd be devastating. i took warfarin for over 15 years until i learned more about once-daily xarelto... a latest generation blood thinner. then i made the switch. xarelto® significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. it has similar effectiveness to warfarin. warfarin interferes with vitamin k and at least six blood clotting factors. xarelto® is selective targeting one critical factor
8:57 pm
of your body's natural clotting function. for people with afib currently well managed on warfarin, there is limited information on how xarelto and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. like all blood thinners, don't stop taking xarelto without talking to your doctor, as this may increase your risk of a blood clot or stroke. while taking you may bruise more easily, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto can cause serious, and in rare cases fatal bleeding. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, unusual bruising or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver or bleeding problems. to help protect yourself from a stroke, ask your doctor about xarelto. there's more to know. xarelto.
8:58 pm
8:59 pm
before we leave tonight, i want to pay tribute to legendary funnyman gene wilder. he died today due to complications of alzheimer's disease at the age of 83. he's best known for "young frankenstein" and "blazing
9:00 pm
saddles." but for a lot of people it's for his role in "willie wonka and the chocolate factory." ♪ there is no life i know to compare with your imagination ♪ ♪ living there, you'll be pleased if you truly wish to be ♪ good evening. thanks for joining us. we begin at the intersection of the personal and political. it's a place where public figures and pain should be held in the deeply private. it's a place where former congressman anthony weiner has been plenty

77 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on