Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  September 9, 2016 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
thanks for joining us for the second hour of "360." we begin in florida, where donald trump is wrapping up another busy day on the campaign trail, a day that included blaming hillary clinton for north korea's nuclear test among other things.
6:01 pm
one thing he did not do was release his tax returns. his running mate, however, did just that. cnn's sunlen serfaty joins me. in terms of the rally, what was he talking about tonight, anything in particular? >> reporter: it's really interesting. donald trump has the teleprompter tonight, he has prepared remarks but it's really a spot where he's deviated from those prepared remarks. it certainly caught our ear tonight. he's talking about hillary clinton, setting up the private e-mail server, all the controversy over her e-mails and the fact that she did not get charged. here's what he had to say. >> because she is being so protected. she could walk into this arena right now and shoot somebody with 20,000 people watching right smack in the middle of the heart and she wouldn't be prosecuted. >> reporter: so some pretty strong language and words there from donald trump. of course, that's just more red meat to this crowd. they ate it up. >> trump still has not released
6:02 pm
his taxes. tonight his running mate, governor pence, released his. what did we lrn from him? >> reporter: this was ten years of mike pence's tax returns. we learned he had a relatively modest salary. these are not big potentially seven figure numbers we could see if trump released his own return. the pences had a tax rate of 8%, earned an income of $113,000. it certainly increases the scrutiny and the attention on the fact donald trump has not released hit. he's said that's because his tax returns are under audit but most recently, that argument was really weakened significantly with a letter from his tax counsel which said his tax returns between the years 2002, 2008 were not under audit anymore. in essence, they could be released. again, this just keeps this issue and this controversy for donald trump front and center. right now even more than it was before. >> and trump surrogates today addressing the long-standing claim that president obama is
6:03 pm
not born in the united states, something donald trump had been pushing for a long time. what did they say? >> reporter: this is really interesting, almost a full force effort from the trump surrogates including from his new campaign manager, who all of a sudden came out this week and said yes, donald trump believes that president obama was indeed born here in the u.s. that was notable because they didn't back that up with any specific evidence. those claims were largely unsubstantiated, especially because donald trump himself has never publicly agreed with that. he was given a chance just this week to back off his previous insinuations and accusations on where president obama was born and he said to reporters just earlier this week that look, i just don't talk about it anymore. notably, not disavowing those comments. joining me is sarah huckabee sanders, senior adviser for the trump campaign. thanks for being with us. you heard what in trump said a few minutes ago, that hillary clinton could shoot someone right in the heart and not be prosecuted. first, do you think he really
6:04 pm
believes that and secondly, it is similar to what he said about himself earlier in the campaign that he could shoot somebody on fifth avenue and his supporters wouldn't care. i guess i'm asking if you can maybe explain his references to shooting people. >> look, i hope nobody puts that to the test on either side. i think the bigger issue here is that hillary clinton's gotten away pretty easily frankly. she's pretty much proved that she's broken the law through the e-mail scandal, the clinton foundation and all she does is say oops, i'm sorry, i made a mistake. at my house if my kids say that they get in trouble. there are consequences. >> the fbi said that's not true. >> instead of getting in trouble with consequences she asked for a promotion. >> the fbi says she didn't break the law. >> well, i think that there's still further investigation that needs to take place here. i think it's very clear that she used her private server knowing she want supposed to. she put classified information on that server and clearly, that is in violation of what she knows she's supposed to do.
6:05 pm
she signed an affidavit saying she knew that what classified information, how that needed to be handled. she didn't handle it properly. certainly the issue with the clinton foundation taking money from foreign governments and using that foundation like a slush fund while she was secretary of state, i think that definitely calls for investigation. >> let me ask you about -- >> when that happens we will see there was certainly some foul play. >> let me ask about the release of governor pence's tax returns tonight. can you offer voters any clarity or any reason why donald trump actually will not release his tax returns? i'm not talking about the ones from the past few years that he still says are under audit. i'm talking about the ones from 2002 to 2008 that according to his own attorneys are not under audit. >> look, i think he will release them all at one time. he's made it very clear that once his audit is finished -- >> his audit is finished for 2002 to 2008. so if every candidate since nixon has released their returns, does donald trump just think point-blank american people don't have the right to
6:06 pm
see his tax returns, or shouldn't be able to see his tax returns? >> well, i don't think that's his point at all. i think he doesn't want to create extra scrutiny while he's in the middle of an audit, whether it's from previous tax returns or not. >> extra scrutiny from whom, though? because the irs has already seen those tax returns from 2002 to 2008. in fact, has seen them and said according to his attorney, nothing's wrong with them. so what extra scrutiny other than from voters and the media are you talking about? >> well, i don't think he's worried about the scrutiny from the voters but certainly from the media, who hasn't exactly been very fair to mr. trump through this entire process. there's no reason -- >> you really believe that? >> -- to give extra ammunition -- absolutely. it's pretty hard not to. >> really. >> i lived through this through the primary all the way through the general. certainly i think there's a different set of rules. >> really. because i can tell you the clinton campaign feels the exact same thing about the media. you still haven't answered -- >> that's very interesting because they never talk to the media.
6:07 pm
>> they have given press conferences the last four or five days in a row. certainly for the last year she has not given press conferences and we have been very critical of her for that. but again, i still don't understand why shouldn't donald trump's taxes, why shouldn't the american people know how much he pays in taxes, what his tax rate is? since they know that about hillary clinton, they have known that about every presidential candidate since richard nixon? and they're not under audit. >> i think donald trump plans to do that. >> 2002 to 2008, they are not under audit. >> look, he will have to answer the question about those specific years. but i know that i have heard him say in person and to folks like you, anderson, that when that audit is complete, he had release all of those returns at one time. my guess is he's waiting until this audit is finished and will release all of them at once instead of piece by piece. >> again, just for the record, that audit is over and it doesn't -- and saying extra scrutiny doesn't give the irs
6:08 pm
extra power over his current audit because they have already audited 2002 to 2008. >> i understand that. again, i think you have to ask him specifically about those years. but my guess is that he's going to do that all at one time instead of doing it piece by piece. >> my guess is it's not going to happen before the election. i would assume that's your guess as well, right? >> i really, i have no idea. i don't know how long -- i have never had the type of taxes that required -- >> if he's worried about extra scrutiny from the media i would assume he would be worried about extra scrutiny from the media before the election even with the taxes -- even if the audit end, why would he release them if he's worried about extra scrutiny from the media? >> well, i think it has bigger impact, i think his biggest concern is making sure the audit that is under way right now goes through smoothly and again, as soon as that's done i think he will do that all at one time. >> the audit that's gone through right now has no bearing because again, the irs has already seen 2002 to 2008.
6:09 pm
so what you're saying doesn't make sense. >> we may just have to agree to disagree. i think the bigger point and the bigger question, what most americans care about a whole lot more than donald trump's taxes are their own taxes. they are far more concerned about who's going to help cut their personal taxes, who's going to help create economy growth in america and donald trump's clearly the candidate that's going to be able to do that versus hillary clinton. >> all right. >> i think that's what most americans are asking about. >> when donald trump says vladimir putin is a strong leader, much more of a leader than president obama, he says, can you point to a specific example of what trump means, what the strong qualities are and why trump thinks they are worth highlighting? because this is a guy who there are plenty of allegations of him killing reporters, there is obviously invasion into crimea, taking over crimea, into ukraine. there's a whole host of authoritarian and autocratic policies and leadership that he's had while he's in power. >> look, i don't think anybody
6:10 pm
thinks vladimir putin is a perfect leader but i do think that russia has gotten stronger under his leadership and america's gotten weaker. our national debt has doubled. our enemies don't fear us. our allies don't trust us. i think america is in much weaker position than we were since obama and hillary clinton have been in charge of the white house. >> what moves that vladimir putin has made are strong? the invasion of crimea, is that the sign of a strong heed leade? >> i didn't say he has made strong moves. i said russia is stronger in the world. >> your candidate is saying putin is a strong leader. how is putin a strong leader? >> i'm saying his country is in a stronger position in the world. let's not forget -- >> your candidate has said he's a strong leader. i'm just asking you on defend what your candidate has said. how is he a strong leader? >> look, i think what his point is, is that his country has gotten stronger while ours has gotten weaker under obama and hillary clinton leadership. >> the russian economy is
6:11 pm
actually not doing very well. >> obama and clinton have embraced many foreign governments including iran and cuba, some of the worst governments in the world, and no one's talking about that. that should be one of the top issues that we are talking about right now is the way they have embraced them. >> russia has embraced cuba, soviet union embraced cuba for decades. okay. russia embraced cuba for an awfully long time and i guess that's another sign of their strength. but the u.s. embracing cuba is somehow a sign of weakness? >> i'm sorry? >> soviet union embraced cuba for a long time. russia even embraced cuba and now you're saying that's a sign of weakness, when the u.s. embraces cuba, just normalizes relations but when putin did it, that's a sign of strength? >> that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying that vladimir putin, russia is in a stronger place in the world -- >> but their economy is doing terribly. you are aware of that, right?
6:12 pm
>> so is ours. obama has to take some real responsibility for that. i think that was the point donald trump was trying to make. that obama and clinton have not done anything to make america stronger. they have made us weaker. they have crippled our economy. >> can you name one thing vladimir putin has done to make russia stronger? is invading crimea, killing journalists, just one specific? >> i certainly don't think those are things that have made him stronger. i'm just saying the position in the world that they have as a power in the world has gotten stronger. i'm not saying that's necessarily a positive thing. i'm just saying they are a stronger country as america has gotten to be a weaker country. they have weakened our military. they are not taking care of our veterans. they have increased our debt. we are under greater attack like never before. and we certainly aren't making progress under obama and clinton and we absolutely have to have a major change in the country and in our leadership or we are going to continue down a worse
6:13 pm
path under hillary clinton. that's the point that donald trump was trying to make. that's the point i'm trying to make now. >> here's what republican senator lindsey graham who is obviously hardly a hillary clinton fan said about trump's putin comments. quote, other than destroying every instrument of democracy in his own country, having opposition people killed, dismembering neighbors through military force and being the benefactor of the butcher of damascus, he's a good guy, end quote. do you agree with those points? does donald trump agree with those points? >> look, i'm not here to say that vladimir putin is a good guy. i'm here to say that i think donald trump would be a good president, particularly in contrast to hillary clinton. she has shown us that her judgment is poor, particularly on foreign relations. she's shown us that she has no respect for our national security by not standing up for our country, by not protect our national security, putting everything on private servers, breaking the law through her slush fund at the clinton foundation. my job is to tell you why donald trump would be a good president. that's why i think he would be. he would be infinitely better
6:14 pm
than hillary clinton who has done a horrible job. i think that's why we need to make a big change. >> appreciate you being with us. thanks very much. we will get reaction from our panel next. also ahead, hillary clinton says national security experts on both sides of the aisle are chilled by what they are hearing from donald trump and the promises he's making will make the country less safe. more from that meeting and the questions that she answered afterward. hold onto your forks. endless shrimp is back at red lobster. that means you get to try as much as you want... ...of whatever flavors are calling your name. seriously. like new garlic sriracha-grilled shrimp. it's a little spice... ...a little sizzle... ...and a lot just right. and try new parmesan peppercorn shrimp. helloooo crispy goodness. and the classic... ...handcrafted shrimp scampi... ...you can't get enough of? still gonna floor you. it may be called endless... ...but that doesn't mean it'll last. my eyelove is making ♪"allsomething unexpected.ays my eyelove is girls' night out.
6:15 pm
my eyelove is the september issue. eyelove is all the things we love to do with our eyes. but it's also having a chat with your eye doctor about dry eyes that interrupt the things you love. because if you're using artificial tears often and still have symptoms, it could be chronic dry eye. go to myeyelove.com and feel the love. soon, she'll type the best essays in the entire 8th grade. get back to great. all computers on sale like this dell laptop. office depot officemax. gear up for school. gear up for great. is it a professor who never stops being a student? is it a caregiver determined to take care of her own? or is it a lifetime of work that blazes the path to your passions? your personal success takes a financial partner who values it as much as you do.
6:16 pm
learn more at tiaa.org perfect driving record. until one of you clips a food truck. then your rates go through the roof. perfect. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claims centers are available to assist you twenty-four seven. call for a free quote today.
6:17 pm
liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. donald trump just wrapped up a rally in florida tonight. before the break we heard from his senior campaign adviser.
6:18 pm
a lot to talk about on this busy friday night. joining me is new york democratic congressman gregory meeks, karim jeanne-pierre, chris prudholm, trump supporter kayleigh mcinany and andrey bauer, who supports donald trump. governor pence releasing his tax return. you think that puts more or less pressure on donald trump to release his returns? >> not at all. the only thing that would put pressure on donald trump to release his taxes which are not required to be released by law would be hillary clinton turning over 15,000 e-mails she is required by law to turn over. at that point if she obeys the law, the federal records act, and turns over the e-mails she deleted with hammers, her aides did and bleached out of cyberspace, once she does that, then there's pressure on donald trump but only then can she make a transparency argument. >> hillary clinton has released her tax returns. i get the whole e-mail argument which we have gone over a million times.
6:19 pm
but her taxes are known, the clinton foundation taxes are known, donald trump's are not. that's not an issue? >> we know he pays taxes according to the law. that's how he survived nearly a dozen audits. that's what voters need to know. if he wants to release them, he can. i don't think a single voter will vote on him because his taxes aren't out. i think they care about how his tax policy will affect their lives. >> even the taxes which are not under audit currently which have already been audited? >> i think kayleigh's right. if he hadn't paid his taxes, and under this administration we would know if he had not, i think -- >> we don't know if he has actually paid taxes because maybe he doesn't have to pay. >> under law, what he's had to do, he's done. i think the voters are good with that. i don't think most people care what tax bracket he's in. i think it would be great for the other side -- i think both sides use it to extrapolate whatever information they can get and pound on the other p person for it. he would probably take more fire if he turned them over.
6:20 pm
>> polling has shown a majority of voters actually care about him releasing his personal taxes. that's number one. number two, what is he hiding? why not release your taxes? the last nine republican presidential nominees have all reloosed their taxes. i don't understand. what is it? we know it's no longer the 2002 to 2008 are no longer under audit. there's a roeason for him not t. when he announced his presidential candidacy, he announced he would release them. i'm not understanding the argument or the hold-back. >> you spoke to a lot of millenial voters who have expressed dislike frankly of both candidates, hillary clinton and donald trump. how much of the birther issue on donald trump is kind of a lingering source of resentment among particularly millenial african-americans? >> it is definitely a lingering issue. they are upset. they feel, of course his campaign manager, mike pence both stated it's not correct of
6:21 pm
course that's what he said. basically mr. trump should come out and put the issue to bed, put it to rest. of course, as president obama being the first african-american president of the united states, i frankly talking to them think it's unacceptable to just continue to let the issue develop and go on. i believe it's an insult to the american people and of course, to people watching us across the world. he needs to put it to rest. only he can do that, not kellyanne conway, not mike pence. he has to do that himself. >> it is interesting, because donald trump's line when you ask him about this, and it has been really from the beginning of this campaign, is i don't talk about that anymore. but he certainly talks about it an awful lot on television. he was out front, he even claimed to hire private detectives to go to hawaii even though there's no evidence he did any of that. should he come out flat and say look, yes, i accept that president obama's an american? mpl >> i think it's enough that he stopped talking about it eight years ago -- not eight years ago, excuse me, more like six years ago. the fact is his answer is always i put this to rest is just fine.
6:22 pm
>> he doesn't say i put it to rest. he just says i don't talk about it. >> i don't recall hillary clinton when she was asked by 60 minutes whether or not barack obama was of the islamic faith, she said no, as far as i know. the "new york times" columnist called it the sleaziest moment of the campaign. she was hit by "time" magazine and ryan lizza. i don't recall her coming out and i don't think donald trump needs to be held to a higher standard. >> we are talking about -- >> we are talking about a president of the united states. >> yeah. that's right. >> it's a xhocompletely subpoen ra -- separate issue. >> should he come out and say something? >> absolutely. here's a man who started his whole campaign by questioning whether or not the president of the united states was a citizen of the united states. he had never, ever changed his mind. >> whoa, whoa, let me just correct the record. that is a line a lot of republicans have used. to say the clinton campaign
6:23 pm
started it, there were senior clinton supporters who did in an e-mail send this out. there's no evidence the campaign itself or hillary clinton, just for accuracy's sake. >> can i just say this? >> donald trump has certainly run with the ball. >> no question. >> and went much farther than anybody else. claiming on tv he was hiring detectives who were finding out fascinating -- >> he dropped that ball now. >> he's just ignoring the ball basically. >> just to follow up on what the congressman was saying, look, i worked for the president during that time, in 2011 when this all started, when donald trump actually decided to be the grand wizard of the birther movement. he decided that. no one told him to do that. that's how he decided to introduce himself to the political sphere. it was so insulting as a black woman who was working for the first african-american president it was incredibly insulting he had to release a long form birth certificate to prove that he was born here. >> why?
6:24 pm
somebody asked if i was a u.s. citizen -- >> because the guy that you support was leading this movement and -- >> hei just want to remind peop who say donald trump didn't talk about it much, we have some of his comments about it in the past. >> i would like to have him show his birth certificate and can i be honest with you? i hope he can. because if he can't, if he can't, and if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility, he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics. >> why doesn't he show his birth certificate? there's something on that birth certificate. >> he donesn't have a birth certificate. >> his grandmother in kenya said he was born in kenya and she was there and witnessed the birth. >> i have people that actually have been studying it and they cannot believe what they're finding. >> all of a sudden a lot of facts are emerging and i'm starting to wonder myself whether or not he was born in this country. >> somebody told me and i have no idea whether this is bad for him or not but perhaps it would be, that where it says religion, it might have muslim.
6:25 pm
>> was this a birth certificate? you tell me. who knows about obama. >> is obama a u.s. citizen? >> who knows. who knows. >> he's still saying who knows is really the last he's been on record. that's okay for you? >> he questioned where he was born. you can ask a question of a candidate or of a politician. he did the same thing to ted cruz. he got the answer, he moved on. >> but in january of 2016 he's still saying who knows. if you are out in front on this, saying i have had detectives and they are finding out these incredible things, doesn't a real man stand up and say you know what, he is an american, we didn't find out anything and in fact, there is a birth certificate? >> what we know is what kellyanne conway told us he believes the evidence now, he believes the president was born here and last time i checked, gallop's top list of issues, this wasn't on it. i don't think voters care about this. >> then he should say it. if he believes it, he should say it. there's a pattern with donald trump. i'm still looking, i'm sure that everybody's still looking for
6:26 pm
those thousands of muslims as we look at the devastation that took place on 9/11, the thousands of muslims that were cheering during 9/11. that has not taken place. >> in jersey city. >> in jersey city. we are still waiting. he's said, we have heard video where he said that he was for the war in iraq. he now says he wasn't. there's not any evidence where he was against the war in iraq at the beginning. we are still waiting for that. i'm still waiting for an apology when in new york city, there were five men who were on the front page of "the daily news" and an ad taken out where he was calling them all kinds of names, they were found to be innocent. i still have not heard him to apologize for that. there is a practice and pattern with donald trump who continues to make noise that he knows is absolutely incorrect. he never apologizes about it. he leaves it out there. in fact, sometimes it's who do you believe.
6:27 pm
we heard his voice claiming that he was somebody else talking to a reporter and he still has not admitted that was him. >> donald trump has said he has regretted some things but he hasn't been specific at all. he's never publicly that i have known of said i was wrong about a particular thing. is that something that as a leader that concerns you at all? >> no. i don't think he need to go through the list of every single thing -- >> just one? ever? >> -- and said he misstated or misspoke. i'm looking for apologies from hillary clinton. >> she said the e-mail thing was wrong. >> and blamed i-repot on colin powell. i'm waiting for the apology she perjured herself before congress, that she obstructed justice. >> okay. she's got one apology on the record we can name right now. where's -- does he have any apology ever? >> here's the difference between apologies. donald trump said i'm sorry for mistakes i made. >> he didn't say that. he said there are things i regret. >> we haven't heard him bring up the khans again or some of those
6:28 pm
things. by contrast, hillary clinton says she made a mistake and continues, just wednesday, in that forum, she continues to try to explain it away. >> the problem is that donald trump is not in the business of apologizing. if he was, we he would be apologizing every day. hillary clinton meeting with a bipartisan group of foreign policy experts, taking questions from reporters with strong words, no surprise, for donald trump. we'll be right back. ock-a-bye m, your day is through. ♪ ♪ cause sealy's support is perfect for you. ♪ only the sealy hybrid has posturepedic technology to support you where you need it most. sealy. proud supporter of you. audi pilotless vehicles have conquered highways, mountains, and racetracks. and now much of that same advanced technology is found in the audi a4. with one notable difference... ♪
6:29 pm
the highly advanced audi a4, with available traffic jam assist. ♪ 3, 2, 1 [whispered 'rocket'] hey, it's been crazy with school being back- so we're constantly going over our data limit. oh, well, now - all of our new plans come with no data overages.
6:30 pm
wow, no more overages? so that means... go on...say it... we'll finally be in control... and we're back... introducing new at&t plans with no data overage charges. remember here at ally, nothing stops us from doing right by our customers. who's with me? i'm in. i'm in. i'm in. i'm in. ♪ ♪ one, two, - wait, wait. wait - where's tina? doing the hand thing? yep! we are all in for our customers. ally. do it right.
6:31 pm
6:32 pm
hillary clinton says donald trump will make us less safe and that national security experts on both sides of the aisle are chilled by what they are hearing from him. clinton met today with a group of foreign policy experts. afterwards she spoke at a press conference and had some tough words for trump. breanna keilar reports. >> reporter: hillary clinton is showcasing her commander in chief kree dngss, meeting with a bipartisan group of prominent national security experts. >> i asked them to join me for a candid conversation about some of the most challenging issues facing our country. >> reporter: among those at the meeting, former cia director and retired general david petraeus and michael chertoff, george w.
6:33 pm
bush's homeland security secretary. after the meeting, in a carefully staged event designed to evoke a white house press conference, clinton came to the microphone to once again blast donald trump. >> this just becomes more and more of a reality television show. it's not -- it's not a serious presidential campaign. and it is beyond one's imagination to have a candidate for president praising a russian autocrat like vladimir putin. >> reporter: but with north korea's test of yet another nuclear weapon, clinton is also in a political bind. trump saying earlier today it's evidence her time as secretary of state was a failure. clinton condemned the test and said the u.s. must recalibrate its approach with north korea. >> we are not going to let anyone who is a treaty ally and partner of ours be threatened and we are not going to let
tv-commercial
6:34 pm
north korea pursue a nuclear weapon with the ballistic missile capacity to deliver it to the united states territory. that is absolutely a bottom line. >> reporter: her running mate tim kaine is accusing trump of showing a shocking level of disrespect for president obama in praising russia's president vladimir putin. >> he's been a leader far more than our president has been a leader. >> if you don't know the difference between leadership and dictatorship, then where do i start with you? >> reporter: the clinton campaign is out with a new ad emphasizing the importance of democrats and republicans working together. >> that's how we got health care for eight million kids. rebuilt new york city after 9/11. and got the treaty cutting russia's nuclear arms. we have got to bring people together. that's how you solve problems and that's what i'll do as president. >> reporter: there are now a number of photos out from the clinton library, this was reported by politico because
6:35 pm
they put in a request to receive these. you see these, this is from 2000. you see donald trump, melania trump, a "sports illustrated request the swimsuit model there. the library says there are 59 images of hillary clinton at a fund-raiser donald trump attended and they are not going to release them because they are personal records. unclear how many of those photos they are together but wouldn't we like to see those. >> thanks very much. the united states and russia have reached a deal for a cease-fire in syria set to take effect sundown on monday. secretary of state john kerry and russia's foreign minister announced the plan in geneva where nic robertson is tonight. he joins us now. let's talk about the details. what do we know? >> reporter: we know after seven days of this cease-fire and humanitarian access is successful, the united states and russia will begin to
6:36 pm
coordinate attacks on the old al qaeda affiliate al nusra and on isis. it means the moderate rebel groups have to separate away from al nusra. that means as well there will be humanitarian access getting in to aleppo city. hugely important. 300,000 people there, opposition of the government, basically almost starving. it also means assad's air force is not going to be able to drop his barrel bombs, is going to not be able to fly its fighter jets over proscribed areas inside syria. we haven't heard how the details of that are going to work out. you know, for all the details of this, i have a real sense of deja vu here. some of the language secretary kerry says, that russia has the capability to pressure assad to end the conflict and go towards a political process. we have heard this before. this was the predication for the peace deal earlier in the year
6:37 pm
and two years ago, when push comes to shove and it's a huge push and a huge shove, russia doesn't force assad to that position of stepping aside for political transition. that's just one small point. there are a lot more. >> where is syria in all of this? where is the government of syria? >> reporter: well, according to this document, they are going to listen to russia. but listening to russia today through the words of sergei lavrov, you have to wonder what you're listening to. he said part of this deal is going to expand the humanitarian effort, enhance the cessation of hostilities. i'm sort of standing here thinking really? because russia's been backing assad on the ground to essentially thwart the cessation of hostilities and keep the conflict going and thwart the effort to get humanitarian aid around the country. there's another detail as well that's really interesting. this humanitarian aid in aleppo, key part of that is the cease-fire details there, on a
6:38 pm
key road. speaking to a source close to these talks, at the beginning of the weekend, he said key for the united states was that russia would get assad to pull his forces back from that road but the rebels, because they controlled the road back in february, wouldn't have to pull their guns back. guess what? secretary kerry today said he had agreed with what russia had said, that both sides should pull their guns back. you know what that effectively means? that effectively means for all the stymieing and stopping the peace process, by russia and assad, stopping the peace process over the past six months, they have gained territory on the ground. they have been rewarded for thwarting these peace efforts that secretary kerry is faithfully trying to push through. >> appreciate the reporting. just ahead, donald trump seemed to be open to the idea of giving a break to undocumented immigrants who want to serve in the military. welcome words for veterans in limbo in mexico after being deported in the united states. that's next. d i'm michael howar. we left on our honeymoon in january 2012.
6:39 pm
it actually evolved into a business. from our blog to video editing... our technology has to hang tough with us. when you're going to a place without electricity, you need a long battery life. the touch, combined with the screen resolution... a mac doesn't have that. we wanted to help more people get out there and see the world. once you take that leap, that's where the magic happens. they keep telling me "drink more water." "exercise more." i know that. "try laxatives..." i know. believe me. it's like i've. tried. everything! my chronic constipation keeps coming back. i know that. tell me something i don't know. (vo) linzess works differently from laxatives. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation, or chronic constipation. it can help relieve your belly pain, and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements that are easier to pass. do not give linzess to children under 6 and it should not be given to children 6 to 17.
6:40 pm
it may harm them. don't take linzess if you have a bowel blockage. get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea, sometimes severe. if it's severe stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas, stomach-area pain and swelling. talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms proactively with linzess. t-mobile's coverage is unstoppable. we doubled our lte coverage. and, with extended range lte, it reaches farther than ever. now you can stream video and music free in more places without using any of your data. from skylines to coastlines, out in the country, deep in the city. we got you covered. 311 million americans and counting. and we won't stop. come see why t-mobile is #1 in customer satisfaction. won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan.
6:41 pm
no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
6:42 pm
donald trump revealed a potentially news aspect of his immigration policy during the presidential forum two nights ago. listen.
6:43 pm
>> do you believe that an undocumented person who serves, who wants to serve in the u.s. armed forces deserves to stay in this country legally? >> i think that when you serve in the armed forces, that's a very special situation and i could see myself working that out, absolutely. >> his words resonated with some veterans kyung lah met in mexico. after serving in the u.s. military they were deported and are now living in legal limbo. >> reporter: how many years has it taken to get to this point? >> i was deported 2004. >> reporter: over ten years in mexico to finally get into this line for a mexican passport, the first in a very long series of steps to try and return to what he calls home. but not to mexico. to america. hector served five and a half years in the u.s. army, honorably discharged. life was tough after the military. he was in a car when another passenger fired an illegal weapon. after a jail sentence, the country he called home since age
6:44 pm
7, that he served as a paratrooper, where he had a family including a daughter, pulled his green card and deported him. is this what you thought would happen when you left the military? >> no, i never thought that i would be deported. i didn't even know -- i thought immigration would be looking for somebody like my uncle that's coming across and gets caught. >> reporter: but it's not. u.s. veterans who run into legal troubles are also deported under current u.s. immigration laws. with donald trump now suggesting he would look at undocumented military members with an open mind. it's a surprising and welcome turn for barajas. >> i don't approve of what he said about mexicans and immigrants, but i do approve of anybody wanting to get veterans home. >> will he do it? i don't know. i really don't think so. >> reporter: daniel torres doesn't buy trump's promise. he was a lance corporal in the u.s. marines fighting in ground combat in iraq. he was honorably discharged. how did the military figure out you were undocumented? >> after i got back from iraq i
6:45 pm
volunteered for one year deployment to afghanistan. >> reporter: that's when the military figured out his papers were fake. why did you lie to the military? >> i wanted to be able to say i have done something for the country, that i have done something, you know, to earn my place in the united states. >> reporter: lying was enough to get deported. he's pled his case in u.s. court. just this spring, became one of the few granted his u.s. citizenship. it's a path barajas hopes others in his organization, the deported veteran support house, will travel. he has more than 300 deported u.s. vets in his database but according to the aclu, there are thousands of other u.s. service men and women who could end up right here, deported out of the united states in this exact same situation. barajas now has new hope after years of fighting, he has a court date to argue for his citizenship. step one, a mexican passport. are you hopeful? >> i'm hopeful. i'm excited. i love my country.
6:46 pm
i love my daughter. i just can't wait to be home. >> reporter: his court date is september 30th. we will keep tabs on what happens there. we do know that thousands potentially could be affected by this. what we don't know is exactly how many live in legal limbo, how many have already been deported. we have heard the aclu use the words countless. we know that there are at least 300 in this one border city here. what we don't know is exactly how many others live in this exact same situation. >> kyung lah, thanks very much. next, 9/11 15 years later. (burke) at farmers, we've seen almost everything,
6:47 pm
so we know how to cover almost anything. even mer-mutts. (1940s aqua music) (burke) and we covered it, february third, twenty-sixteen. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ soon, she'll type the best essays in the entire 8th grade. get back to great. all computers on sale like this dell laptop. office depot officemax. gear up for school. gear up for great.
6:48 pm
mary buys a little lamb. one of millions of orders on this company's servers. accessible by thousands of suppliers and employees globally. but with cyber threats on the rise, mary's data could be under attack. with the help of at&t, and security that senses and mitigates cyber threats, their critical data is safer than ever. giving them the agility to be open & secure. because no one knows & like at&t.
6:49 pm
♪"my friends know me so well. they can tell what i'm thinking, just by looking in my eyes. but what they didn't know was that i had dry, itchy eyes. i used artificial tears from the moment i woke up... ...to the moment i went to bed. so i finally decided to show my eyes some love,... ...some eyelove. eyelove means having a chat with your eye doctor about your dry eyes because if you're using artificial tears often and still have symptoms, it could be chronic dry eye. it's all about eyelove, my friends. and i'm michael howard. we left on our honeymoon in january 2012. it actually evolved into a business. from our blog to video editing... our technology has to hang tough with us. when you're going to a place without electricity, you need a long battery life. the touch, combined with the screen resolution...
6:50 pm
a mac doesn't have that. we wanted to help more people get out there and see the world. once you take that leap, that's where the magic happens. producers captured the only known video from inside the world trade cent world trade center. i want to warn you some of it is tough to watch. >> firefighters from all over the city were inside those towers, hundreds of them. >> you remember i'm filming chief pheiffer and he's on the radio.
6:51 pm
>> that sickening rumbling of course was the other tower collapsing. denis leary is going to introduce the film. i spoke to him earlier. >> this film is so extraordinary, it takes you inside through the eyes of the firefighters. why do you think it's important for people to see that? >> i think it's a living document, right? my kids are 26 and 24 and they were very young when this happened and they were aware of it happening. but i think for them this kind of movie becomes a forever document. >> it's also incredible when you think there's a generation of
6:52 pm
people after that who didn't live through it, who don't have a direct memory of it. so this becomes even more important. >> it would have been powerful in its own right but the fact they have footage inside the building, that even now when i see it -- i lose track for how long it's been but it still for me is a very present memory. i live downtown so i see that building every day. i just remember the days and week afterwards that sense of this extraordinary kind of bond between people in new york. i remember being in a restaurant getting breakfast and there were some firefighters there and when they came in, everybody stood up and applauded. and it was just this incredible feeling like that i'd never had in new york before. i'd seen it overseas in some war zones but sort of this sense of we've been attacked and people bonding together. >> yeah, it was -- i still
6:53 pm
remember that. and also the streets, how the streets as we all went about whatever we had to do over the next few days after that, that was -- it was almost like a meeting ground. like when you walked out of your apartment, even if you were just going to get a cup of coffee, it's all anybody talked about. so sharing stories about people who might be missing or stories that related to firefighters or police officers. so i remember that feeling really well. i also remember a few months later getting the finger from somebody finally and actually thinking to myself, oh, my god, we're getting back to normal. because it was almost like people don't understand that don't live here what that felt like. and also at the same time a sense of pride about being a new yorker and about how well we responded. >> also just you see in this film just the extraordinary bravery of these firefighters and police officers and first responds are who, you know,
6:54 pm
they're rushing in and they're going up the stairs and all the lives that were saved as well. there were the lives that were lost but thanks to them they got people out. >> that's the thing that people don't talk about enough. it's actually the most extraordinary fire service day in the history of the fire service, what those guys did that day, how many people they brought down, were assisted down, how many people they brought out of those buildings is amazing. and we dwell on the people that we lost, as we should, but you think about the evidence that we have, certain radio interplay and stories that we have about what guys were doing that day the last time another firefighter heard from them or saw them. it's really amazing. >> also at great not only risk but obviously in the aftermath of going through trying to find survivors, combing through the rubble, the wreckage for days
6:55 pm
and days, breathing in that smoke, breathing in that toxic air. and without masks, without respirators, without -- >> yeah, and then you have stories like a friend of mine, timmy higgins was one of my friends that died that day, and his family, they're all firefighters and his father and his brother, so they're looking for their brother at ground zero as firemen. that's deep. >> do you worry that people will forget about that day? >> no, i don't. i tell you what, i avoided going to the museum and the plaza, you know, i went to film the first day of the narration for this thing and i had to stand at the pools and deliver some narration and then go into the museum itself -- >> and that was the first time. >> first time for me. and i was very conflicted about
6:56 pm
that going down in the morning. but i have to say, the sound of the water, the waterfall and the pools made me feel calm and when i went into the museum, it's extraordinary. so i think it's impossible for that to happen -- >> for it to be forgotten. >> ever. >> and i certainly think a film like this is part of that remembrance as well. >> i think this is so powerful. it's a living document, you know? it's i thisnk the next generatin of kids will watch this as well. >> thank you so much. >> appreciate it. >> this sunday night, it really is an extraordinary film, i hope you watch "9/11, 15 years later." we'll be right back.
6:57 pm
6:58 pm
6:59 pm
7:00 pm
that does it for us. hope you have great night. "cnn tonight" with don lemon starts now. >> you're looking at the tribute in light as the world prepares for the remembrance of 9/11. trump

197 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on