Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  September 23, 2016 7:00am-8:01am PDT

7:00 am
coy wire is in the home of the michigan state spartans. hi, coy. how are you? >> i won't tell the people around here that. i'm doing great. the patriots are doing great. even with a third string quarterback. apparently you could throw carol costello in there and the patriots will be all right. jacoby brissett knows what he's doing. know who else knows what they're doing? bill belichick. the patriots head coach. this guy is amazing. i have never seen anybody who can just plug in any player at any time at any position pretty much is the way it seems, and they still get the job done. it was an outstanding performance by young jacoby brissett, first start in the nfl. he just uses his ability. run the football. look at this scamper, all the way to the house. the patriots just find a way no matter what's going on to get the win. their special teams stepped up and got two fumble recoveries. their defense stepped up in a big way. brock osweiler, the texans quarterback out there running around for his life.
7:01 am
the patriots swarm him. they shut out the texans. that doesn't happen very often in the nfl. 27-zip, an incredible, outstanding performance by the patriots. also sunday's nfl game in charlotte is going to go on as planned. earlier thursday, the panthers acknowledged they were in talks with the nfl in regards to the city's unrest. the panthers captains and head coach called for peace, declaring that sunday's game in charlotte will bring together to quote, put their differences aside and start that process of inclusion, unquote. so the panthers hosting the vikings, going to go on as scheduled, 1:00 p.m. eastern. >> that's a good decision. i'm glad. coy wire, many thanks. the next hour of "cnn newsroom" starts now. good morning. i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. one hour from now, city officials in charlotte, north carolina will hold a news briefing. they face public outcry that's
7:02 am
growing louder even as protests quiet down overnight. the violence of 24 hours earlier largely replaced by peaceful chants of "release the tapes." protesters demanding that city officials release the video recordings of keith lamont scott as he was shot to death by charlotte police. his family shown those videos yesterday, saying it is not clear what mr. scott is holding. the gun that police claimed, or a book as the family still insists. just last hour, charlotte's mayor telling me she wants those videos released. >> we have had the families see the video. several of us officials have seen the video. we want some community leaders to see that video. i would like to have it released and i think that we are going to have continuing conversations with our investigators. we now have an independent sbi, state bureau of investigation, going on and we want to make sure we're not compromising that investigation, but we are going to continue to have
7:03 am
conversations about how soon we might be able to release that. i understand the community's desire and i echo the words of our police chief, the videos are inconclusive. >> cnn's nick valencia live in charlotte with more for you. good morning. >> reporter: good morning. a welcome sign of relief here on the streets of downtown charlotte. 24 hours ago, it was a much different scene with business owners cleaning up the aftermath of riots but after two days of consecutive chaotic protests, yesterday was much more peaceful, even a 12:00 p.m. midnight curfew that was technically in effect was never implemented by police. they say because the protests went so smoothly. >> hands up, don't shoot! >> reporter: a third night of protests remained largely peaceful thursday night despite charlotte officials enacting a midnight curfew. a small group thanking national guard members for their service. >> thank you, sir. >> reporter: others laying down to protest the shooting death of >> release the video!
7:04 am
>> reporter: and demanding that police video of the incident be released to the public. charlotte's police chief concedes the video doesn't show scott pointing a gun at officers. >> the video does not give me absolute definitive visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun. when taken in the totality of all the other evidence, it supports what we have heard and the version of the truth that we gave about the circumstances that happened. >> reporter: despite that, police are standing by their account of what happened, saying scott refused to drop his weapon. >> the gun in question is a small gun and it was not easy to see with the way the motion was happening. so it is ambiguous. >> reporter: after massive public outcry, the scott family saw two police videos capturing
7:05 am
the deadly encounter. >> it was very painful not just to see him shot and killed but to see the reaction on the family members' faces. >> reporter: the attorney for the family says they saw no aggression in the video, issuing a statement saying in part it is impossible to discern from the videos what if anything mr. scott is holding in his hands when he was shot and killed, mr. scott's hands were by his side and he was slowly walking backwards. two wildly different accounts as more evidence is uncovered. this photo taken by an eyewitness appears to show a black object on the ground which a source close to the investigation says is the gun recovered by authorities. >> we're just not sure about that photo and other photos that maybe depict it. we did not see a gun in the video. >> my daddy is dead! >> reporter: after the shooting, scott's daughter suggested the gun was planted by the police. >> he was sitting in the car reading a [ bleep ] book. my daddy ain't got no [ bleep ] gun. >> reporter: police are adamant. >> the preponderance of physical
7:06 am
evidence there supports exactly what we made in our initial statement, that yes, he had a weapon, yes, he refused to drop that weapon and our officer fired as he perceived that imminent threat. >> reporter: part of what's added confusion to the public's perception of the fatal shooting of keith scott is the back and forth, the he said/she said if you will between the scott family and the police. scott's family saying he was unarmed when fatally shot by police. the police chief here says that's simply untrue, not the case, and a gun was recovered. the police have demanded -- the family i should say have demanded the police release the video. we are standing by for a press conference to be held at about 11:00 eastern where perhaps we will learn more about the release of that video. >> nick valencia live from charlotte. let's head to tulsa now. the officer who shot and killed an african-american man in tulsa is out on bail this morning. officer betty shelby has been charged with manslaughter. if convicted, she faces four years to life in prison.
7:07 am
prosecutor say she reacted unreasonably when she gunned down terence crutcher after his suv broke down last week. moments after shelby was charged. >> we know the history of these cases. we know this is the formality. we know she's been charged. but then we get no convictions. we're demanding full prosecution. we want a conviction. when that happens, this is a small victory, but we know we got to get ready to fight this war. so we want for everyone, the community, the world, to join arms, lock arms with us as we go out. >> all right. let's talk about this. with me is dmitry roberts of seven star consulting, and former chicago police officer. and david clinger, former lapd officer and criminology professor at the university of missouri at st. louis. welcome to both of you. >> thank you. >> i want to talk about tulsa first. according to this affidavit
7:08 am
court documents, the tulsa officer became emotionally involved to the point that she overreacted. in other words, she let fear rule her actions even though she could see no sign that mr. crutcher had a weapon. this is a trained police officer so what do you make of this? >> well, i disagree with that. she wasn't trained and she wasn't very well trained. as a trained law enforcement officer, you would have taken -- she would have taken different actions and a different approach in that situation. she had plenty of opportunities to peacefully deescalate and resolve that situation without the use of deadly force, which is why now she's charged with manslaughter. >> so david, are you surprised that charges came so quickly in this case? >> i'm neither surprised nor unsurprised because all i know about the case is the videos that have been put out, the dash cam and the overhead from the helicopter, and one of the things that i try to do is i try
7:09 am
to hold my powder until i have all of the evidence regarding a particular case before i opine about it. your other guest may be correct that there were opportunities to deescalate prior to that moment when she shot. i don't know. because one of the issues is the videos don't start until well into the initial confrontation between the officer and the deceased. so we need -- >> well, i know because i have arrested dozens of individuals with weapons, period. that's how i know. >> as have i, sir. >> i speak from the fact that i have -- >> stop right there because we have isolated a bit of video that might help us. we put this picture up. cnn has actually isolated video of the scene, specifically the car window, because the officer thought the window was down. we have determined that the officer or that the window was up and according to the
7:10 am
affidavit, the officer in question detected no weapon and she checked out the vehicle before and found no weapon. so david, how can you say that there's no indication that anything wrong was done here? >> no, no, no, i didn't say that at all. your first guest talked about from his impression being that she was ill-trained and had many opportunities to deescalate and i'm saying i don't know that. i'm not passing any sort of judgment on the shooting because i haven't looked at all the evidence. one of the things that -- >> there's no judgment being passed. >> david, go ahead. >> i speak from experience. >> let david talk. >> we have to wait until we have all the evidence. that is why the integrity of the investigation is so important and if the prosecution has decided to move forward with the prosecution, fine, they believe they have met the probable cause standard. the prosecution moves forward, the prosecution presents its case, the defense presents its case. let's not rush to judgment. >> this is the same --
7:11 am
>> the other thing to consider is the other officers had their tasers out. this officer did not. she had her gun drawn. and she was consumed with fear, according to court documents. she saw this large man, he was not obeying her instructions, he was walking away from her although he clearly had his hands up. so dmitry, from a police officer's standpoint, what do you say? >> what i say is when you have an opportunity to deescalate a situation and you don't see a weapon present, you put your gun away and you go and arrest them. you don't shoot and kill them. this is the same type of rhetoric that has led to riots in north carolina. we have to change the narrative and we have to call facts, facts. i have worked in the toughest crime-ridden neighborhoods in the city of chicago and maybe even in the country and my arrest record speaks for itself. i have arrested dozens of people with guns that were fleeing and none of them ended up dead. so to your other guest, let's
7:12 am
talk about facts, let's be honest here and let's not continue to -- >> don't accuse me of lying, sir. >> it's an unfortunate situation. i challenge you to look back at that video and let's be honest about what's going on here. let's have an honest conversation with the american people. >> let's wait until we have all the evidence. why is that difficult, sir? >> she's already indicted. she's already indicted. it's our responsibility -- >> has she been convicted, sir? has she been convicted? >> okay. okay. david -- >> it's our responsibility to have an honest conversation with the american people and call facts, facts. i understand the thin blue line but that has to change, because people are dying, period. >> has nothing to do with the thin blue line, sir. it has to do with the rule of law. you well know that an indictment does not equal a conviction. all i'm saying is let's wait for the fullness of time. i look at the video and i say this is a stinker.
7:13 am
i don't look at it and say hey, she did the right thing. but what i'm saying is before we reach a conclusion that a crime has occurred, let us let the justice process play itself out. what other suggestion do you have? you think she should be imprisoned right now? >> let me ask you this. what to you says this might be a justifiable shooting? >> i have no idea, because all i know is the video and then the prosecution's theory of the case as it's been laid out at this early point. i want to wait for the defense to go ahead and raise its case. then we make a decision. that's how it works. the prosecution presents, the defense presents. >> all right. >> isn't it very easy for us to say we should wait when somebody's dead? he can't wait. his family is not waiting. did you hear his daughter crying on national tv about her dad? >> it's awful, sir. but i just want to get this clear. you believe that right now, she is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? that's what you're saying?
7:14 am
>> no. what i'm saying is -- >> exactly. >> -- she was poorly trained, as i said in the beginning. she was poorly trained. she choked and well-trained officers don't choke. >> i don't disagree with the fact that well-trained officers don't choke but i think it is difficult to make an argument from training to conviction of a crime. that's all i'm saying. >> all right. i have to leave it there, gentlemen. thanks to both of you. still to come, the protests continue in charlotte but on a much more subdued note. what's behind the change in tone? when a moment turns romantic, why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain,
7:15 am
or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card. stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. i absolutely love my new but the rent is outrageous. good thing geico offers affordable renters insurance. with great coverage it protects my personal belongings should they get damaged, stolen or destroyed. [doorbell] uh, excuse me. delivery. hey. lo mein, szechwan chicken, chopsticks, soy sauce and you got some fortune cookies. have a good one. ah, these small new york apartments... protect your belongings. let geico help you with renters insurance. when this busy family... ...got a cracked windshield... ...their dad went to the new safelite-dot-com...
7:16 am
...and scheduled a replacement... ...in just a few clicks. with safelite you don't have to miss a thing. y'all did wonderful! thank you. (girls sing) safelite repair, safelite replace. he's a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot. sage.
tv-commercial
7:17 am
donald trump is a phony, a fraud. he's not a serious adult. i can't vote for donald trump given the things that he said. trump should not be supported. i believe he's disqualified himself to be president. i just cannot support donald trump. [ rear alert sounds ]," [ music stops ]on ] ♪ on the road again ♪ just can't wait to get on the road again ♪ [ front assist sounds ] [ music stops ] [ girl laughs ] ♪ on the road again ♪ like a band of gypsies we go down the highway ♪ [ beetle horn honks ] no matter which passat you choose,
7:18 am
you get more standard features, for less than you expected. hurry in and lease the 2017 passat s for just $199 a month. last night's protests in charlotte were mostly peaceful. at one point, demonstrators thanked and hugged and shook hands with members of the national guard. a major change from earlier in the week when protesters smashed windows and used tear gas to
7:19 am
disperse the crowd. so what changed? i'm joined again today by reverend jay leach. he was out and about amongst the protesters last night and the night before. welcome back. >> thank you. >> so what changed last night? >> hard to say exactly what factors contributed to the change in the tone last night. i was a part of the charlotte coalition -- clergy coalition for justice and we did a march back to the site of the tragic shooting that had taken place the prior night and did a ritual, a series of prayers, interfaith prayers across many faith lines, and consecrated that site as sacred. i would like to think that our presence and our effort contributed to that but i know that many, many people and especially the young courageous leaders in this city helped
7:20 am
create a different tone in what was going on last night. >> 26-year-old man died right near that omni hotel where you held your vigil last night. we still don't know the circumstances. we know he was shot in the head but we don't know by exactly who. i know that you met with the mayor and you talked about the shooting and you wanted a thorough investigation. i talked to the mayor this morning and she told me that the investigation is ongoing but she couldn't provide any more information. have you talked to her again? >> i have not personally spoken with her but i know that representatives from the clergy have been in constant contact with the mayor and i have to say she's been very communicative with us in terms of trying to update us and also in terms of expressing appreciation for our role in this right now. >> there's the videotape. there's going to be a news conference out of charlotte in just about 40 minutes or so. the mayor also told me that she wants to release that video
7:21 am
right now but she has to convince investigators to do so. your feelings on that? >> i spent a lot of the morning after the shooting at the site. i spoke with a number of people who were there, who were witnesses to various parts of that. i spoke to people who know mr. scott. the story i heard from every single person that i spoke with personally is in contradiction to the story that we are hearing. i don't think that the video in and of itself is going to change the narrative. what it will take away is the sense that there is a coverup even on that part. so i'm very much in favor of us being able as a community to see the video, especially because, and i think this is a critical point, the family has seen the video and now the family is asking that the community see
7:22 am
it. so the concern previously for their feelings and for their privacy, now that they have made this request, i think it's especially important for us all as a community and as a nation that's looking in on this story to be able to see what transpired and the interaction between mr. scott and the police officers. >> we'll see what happens later today. thanks for joining me once again. coming up next, the gloves set to come off monday night as hillary clinton and donald trump face off for the very first time. so what can we expect? when heartburn hits, fight back fast with tums smoothies. it starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue. and neutralizes stomach acid at the source. ♪ tum -tum -tum -tum smoothies! only from tums
7:23 am
it's a performance machine. engineering... with this degree of intelligence... it's a supercomputer. with this grade of protection... it's a fortress. and with this standard of luxury... it's an oasis. introducing the completely redesigned e-class. it's everything you need it to be... and more. lease the e300 for $549 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. is it a professor who never stops being a student? is it a caregiver determined to take care of her own? or is it a lifetime of work that blazes the path to your passions? your personal success takes a financial partner who values it as much as you do. learn more at tiaa.org
7:24 am
but my guy knows what to bring... i overpack... like viagra single packs for ed. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain or adempas® for pulmonary hypertension. your blood pressure could drop to an unsafe level. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. ask your doctor about viagra single packs. endless shrimp is back at hold red lobster.rks. that means you get to try as much as you want... ...of whatever flavors are calling your name. seriously. like new garlic sriracha-grilled shrimp. it's a little spice... ...a little sizzle... ...and a lot just right. and try new parmesan peppercorn shrimp. helloooo crispy goodness. and the classic... ...handcrafted shrimp scampi... ...you can't get enough of? still gonna floor you. it may be called endless... ...but that doesn't mean it'll last.
7:25 am
7:26 am
monday night's presidential debate is one of the most hotly
tv-commercial
7:27 am
anticipated face-offs in the 2016 campaign. hillary clinton and donald trump both engaging in their own forms of debate prep. a clinton aide telling cnn she expects to spend much of the event fact checking her gop rival. meantime, team trump sent out a 30-question debate prep survey to his supporters asking among other things whether he should attack clinton's policies or defend his own more. the shootings in tulsa and oklahoma will likely be on the agenda as both candidates weigh in on the dynamics between police and the communities they serve. >> those peddling the narrative of cops as a racist force in our society, and this is a narrative that is supported with a nod by my opponent, you see what she's saying and it's not good. >> there is still much we don't know about what happened in both incidents but we do know that we have two more names to add to a list of african-americans killed by police officers.
7:28 am
>> okay. let's talk about the big debate coming up on monday. patrick healey is a political correspondent for "new york times." rebecca burg from real clear politics and lynn sweet, washington bureau chief of the chicago sun times. welcome to all of you. i would say, rebecca, that this is the most anticipated debate in the history of presidential politics. >> i would agree, because we have two of the least popular candidates of all time for president. you have donald trump who is one of the most unusual candidates for president ever and completely unpredictable when it comes to the debate stage, and no one really knows what is going to happen here. the stakes of course are very high because the polling is close right now. the real clear politics polling average has the candidates within just a few points nationally and debates do matter, especially when you have so many voters who are thinking of staying home, who just like both of these candidates, it's an opportunity for both candidates to win people over.
7:29 am
>> patrick, i wonder if the debates will really change minds because we hear so often that most voters have made up their minds and absolutely nothing can change them at this point. so is the debate that momentous for these candidates? >> the clinton campaign definitely thinks the debate change the minds of some suburban voters, particularly suburban white women who may be on the fence in places like northern virginia and ohio, outside of philadelphia, you know, who are still -- it's not that they haven't decided do i like hillary more than trump or trump more than hillary. they haven't really tuned in that much. they are waiting for the first debate, these three debates, to really kind of pay attention. so the clinton campaign, we have a story out this morning, is really kind of looking at how to get under donald trump's skin. it's not enough for hillary clinton to catch him in a lie and to fact check him all through the debate sounding like a tough, tough teacher. she needs to bait him into some
tv-commercial
7:30 am
temperamentally unfit moment that really shows women, men, everyone -- >> i'm glad you brought that up. there's a new campaign ad out by the hillary clinton camp. i would like you to take a look at it. it has everything to do with what mrs. clinton calls trump's mysogeny. let's listen. >> i'm hillary clinton. i approved this message. ♪ >> i would look her right in that fat ugly face of hers. >> she's a slob. >> she ate like a pig. >> a person who's flat-chested is very hard to be a 10. >> you get the gist. is this on purpose? will hillary clinton try to get under donald's skin for his mysogenistic comments of the past? >> yes and no but here's i think the thing to watch for when it comes to this showdown, that clinton has done well debating against men when they try to bully her. this isn't just a donald trump issue. remember in the debate when she
7:31 am
was asked about her likability and obama went well, you're likeable enough, hillary, and when she debated in her senate race, so there's a few things going on here and i think in all, the clinton camp will probably wait for him to make the first debate. that's the luxury of having a 90-minute format because trump has never had to sustain himself for more than a few minutes at a time in the debate. another thing to watch for, you mentioned how robby mook, campaign manager, talked about fact checking. let's see how aggressive the moderator, nbc anchor lester holt, will be in deciding if he wants to fact check or if he's going to leave everything to hillary clinton in which case yes, potentially, a lot of the debate could be spent just correcting a candidate who doesn't mind if what he says is untrue. >> well, donald trump does bring a certain amount of baggage to this debate, because just the other day, one of his ohio
7:32 am
county chairs, the republican party who has since resigned, by the way, but she made some controversial remarks on race, including saying there was no racism before president obama was elected. let's listen to that. >> i don't think there was any racism until obama got elected. we never had problems like this. if you're black and you haven't been successful in the last 50 years, it's your own fault. >> so hillary clinton has also tried connecting to donald trump to the kkk, david duke, in particular. he brings that baggage with him. how does he combat that if he really does want to attract an african-american -- >> absolutely. hillary clinton has this whole grab bag of controversies to draw from, not just donald trump's ohio chair, but you can go back throughout the course of the campaign and find dozens of examples she can potentially raise in this debate. i would actually think that this could be a challenge for hillary clinton, because she has out there on the campaign trail, as you said, framed donald trump's
7:33 am
message as racist, xenophobic, bigoted, very strong language. if donald trump shows up at this debate and is toned down a little bit, is respectful, civil, touts his -- >> you mean he doesn't say crooked hillary? >> right. if he shows up and surprises people who have very low expectations about him abhnd hi campaign, that could be a positive thing for him. >> some say donald trump will do that. he will go into the debate and be calm and measured and controlled but again, it's 90 minutes and it's uninterrupted and you have a moderator asking questions and you have hillary clinton trying to poke him, like an angry bear. so can he really maintain that? >> that is such a good point. he's never been in that situation. in the primary debates it was a circus. it was nine or ten people onstage with donald trump. he was sort of like trying to get some attention with some of his lines but then he would sort of recede. for some of those debates he
7:34 am
would just sort of step back and listen and kind of wait for his moments. this is what his campaign advisers are most concerned about, that he is not taking the prep seriously in the sense that he's going to be onstage for 90 minutes with hillary clinton and he's going to have to be both attacking, counter attacking, sounding factual and to rebecca's point, to what extent hillary clinton escalates this really quickly is a challenge for her. to what extent he decides to throw those crooked hillary or you're a loser or come on, like looking sophomoric, it helped him stand out in the primary debates against a bunch of suits, basically. he looked sort of like fun and lively and human and leike a non-politician. this time you have a huge audience of people who are looking for the next president, they are looking for who they will put in as commander in chief. this is uncharted territory for him. >> lynn, you know, trump said he doesn't want to overprepare for
7:35 am
this debate because sometimes you get lockjaw and you don't know what to say or you're not yourself and that clearly is one of hillary clinton's challenges, isn't it? >> well, she can -- in overpreparing, you also could prepare to not look prepared. that's the joke that professional humorists say, this one-liner took me three days to do. but here's the point about trump. if you're not prepared, then when there are sections of debate, if lester holt does the proper follow-up, you just can't say stop and frisk is the answer to crime in america. okay, sir, that's not constitutional. what's number two. hillary clinton, he might say, is the worst secretary of state ever. okay, sir, who is the second worst secretary of state. there might be times where you have to demonstrate actual knowledge and that isn't his strong suit. one quick thing here, you started this segment talking
7:36 am
about the survey or one of you did, that he isnsent out askingr questions. one of the questions is should i call hillary crooked hillary from the stage. i guess we will find out. >> i guess we will find out on monday. thanks to all of you. i appreciate it. still to come in the "cnn newsroom" an all-out fight for battleground north carolina. both candidates throwing big money and resources at the tarheel state. you're not a cook, if you don't cook.
tv-commercial
7:37 am
you're not a firefighter, if you don't fight fires. or a coach, if you don't coach. and you can't be our leader, if you don't lead. our next president needs to take action on social security, or future generations could lose up to $10,000 a year. we're working hard, what about you? hey candidates, do your jobs. keep social security strong.
7:38 am
like how hard it's a-gonna fall. rain. the things it does to your parade. we've got a saying about rain too: when it rains...it roars. the all-wheel-drive lineup from dodge. domestic. not domesticated. now get 20 percent off msrp cash allowance for an average of $6,400 in savings on select 2016 journey crossroad models in dealer stock.
7:39 am
7:40 am
7:41 am
we are waiting for a news conference to get under way in charlotte in about 20 minutes. this is a live look from city hall where the mayor and police chief are expected to brief reporters on the latest into the shooting death of keith scott. we will bring it to you live as it happens. 46 days from the presidential election, yeah, we are down to 46 now. a new national poll showing hillary clinton holds a six-point lead over donald trump but in the battleground state of north carolina, the race is virtually neck and neck. the candidates pouring in their money and manpower fighting for every last vote. sunlen serfaty has more on the fight. good morning. >> reporter: good morning. the ongoing unrest in charlotte this week sets up a new and powerful backdrop for what has already been a very polarized race in north carolina.
7:42 am
this could potentially become a game changer for voters on the ground in a race that has been locked in a dead heat for weeks. in battleground north carolina -- >> my understanding is that we will see your support in november. is that correct? >> reporter: a sense of urgency from both campaigns. >> tell them who you're voting for. >> reporter: candidates are flooding the state. >> it's great to be here at unc. >> reporter: as their campaigns rachet up their respective ground games. initially lagging far behind in infrastructure, trump's campaign is now moving in on the tarheel state looking to capitalize on what it sees as an enthusiastic base of supporters. >> early voting starts here october 20th. so ideally you get out and you vote, right? you get out early. don't wait. >> reporter: in the past six weeks, bolstering its resources as part of a coordinated effort with the rnc, opening its first
7:43 am
field offices, nine now in all, and adding more than 100 paid staffers on the ground. trump and his allies are spending more than $3 million on the air waves but it's still no match for the clinton campaign's north carolina footprint which is still growing. it's added 21 field offices in the past six weeks and expanded its staff to 300. it's going big on tv, dropping a combined $17 million on ads with affiliated groups. >> donald trump's plan, tear families apart. >> reporter: the clinton campaign sees north carolina as a must-win for trump. >> i think we have a really good chance to really slam the door shut if we win here. >> reporter: trump campaign isn't going that far. >> this is a critical state. victory will come through north carolina. >> reporter: is it a must-win? >> i'm not going to say must-win but it is a critical state. >> reporter: both sides in search of any persuadable voters including those who are still on the fence about voting at all. >> i don't know if there's
7:44 am
necessarily anything they can say. just because of all the negativity that's surrounded both their campaigns. >> reporter: there aren't many undecided voters left in north carolina, just 6% in the latest cnn poll, but they could tip the balance for either candidate. >> at first i would say i was for trump but as time has gone on, that's why i'm undecided. as time has gone on, the more i have heard, the more my opinion has changed. >> reporter: the campaigns are facing a dual mission, battling for voters who are up for grabs as they try to energize their core supporters essential in the final stretch. for clinton, that's the obama coalition of young voters, minorities and women. this week the campaign dispatching mothers of the movement, women who lost their children to gun violence. >> we are in a bad place right now. and they're not going to give us what we want. we have to take it. and we do that at the polls. we vote.
7:45 am
>> reporter: team trump traveling to the rural eastern part of the state, to a town with a population of less than 900. >> it is great to be in north carolina. >> reporter: as the candidates both react to this new situation on the ground in charlotte which will no doubt reverberate throughout the state, sources tell cnn that donald trump is considering a trip to charlotte next week after monday's debate. his campaign is said to be looking at the logistics of that visit right now. >> sunlen serfaty, thanks so much. still to come, incriminating new video of the new york bombing suspect. details on what could be a big break for investigators.
7:46 am
>>psst. hey... where you going? we've got that thing! you know...diarrhea? abdominal pain? but we said we'd be there... woap, who makes the decisions around here? it's me. don't think i'll make it. stomach again...send! if you're living with frequent, unpredictable diarrhea and abdominal pain, you may have irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea
7:47 am
or ibs-d - a condition that can be really frustrating. talk to your doctor about viberzi. a different way to treat ibs-d. viberzi is a prescription medication you take every day that helps proactively manage both diarrhea and abdominal pain at the same time. so you stay ahead of your symptoms. viberzi can cause new or worsening abdominal pain. do not take viberzi if you have or may have had pancreas or severe liver problems, problems with alcohol abuse, long-lasting or severe constipation, or a blockage of your bowel or gallbladder. if you are taking viberzi, you should not take medicines that cause constipation. the most common side effects of viberzi include constipation, nausea, and abdominal pain. stay ahead of ibs-d... with viberzi. ha-ha-ha! um-hmmm! hey! nikki! what are you doing here? you tell me, stephen. what? i'm snapping. you've been streaming my videos all morning. now you're with this thing? no! it's not you! it's verizon! they limit my data. i had to choose. come on, girl. let's get us a man with unlimited data.
7:48 am
why pay verizon more for data limits? introducing t-mobile one. one price. unlimited data for everyone. - i was diagnosed with parin early 2013.lly it took awhile to sink in. we had to think a little more seriously about saving money for the future and for the kids. - the income of airbnb really helped to mitigate the stress. - but we have that flexibility of knowing that if you know things get worse, we have this to help keep us afloat. - so that's very, very important for us.
7:49 am
a potentially huge break in the new york bombing investigation. newly released surveillance video appears to show suspect ahmad rahami planting a pressure cooker bomb inside a carry-on bag. meantime, investigators say they have pieced together a detailed timeline of rahami's movements leading up to his capture. deborah feyerick has it for us this morning. >> good morning, carol. this video is a key piece of evidence for fbi investigators.
7:50 am
it shows terror suspect ahmad rahami placing the second pressure cooker bomb on west 27th street. officials say that happened several minutes after the first bomb detonated at about 8:32 p.m. saturday night. the bomb, that one right there, was placed across the street from a hotel with a busy outdoor restaurant. a short time later, two men spot the carry-on bag, remove this sort of odd-looking pressure cooker, take the bag and walk away. then somebody actually comes by and kicks the device. now, the fbi -- exactly. wants that bag which could have evidence, a fingerprint, for example, on a piece of tape inside. right now the two men currently identified only as witnesses have yet to step forward despite urgent pleas from police. now, in terms of the timeline you mentioned, rahami may have been casing the chelsea neighborhood two days before the attack. that's according to an intelligence group that. would have been around the same time officials told us he was testing
7:51 am
this explosive material in his backyard. detectives have been poring over surveillance video from hundreds of closed circuit cameras in order to develop a timeline. they say rahami left new york three hours after the bombings, drove to new jersey through the lincoln tunnel and then at some point actually returned home to his family in elizabeth, new jersey, engaged with several family members who tell investigators that he was behaving normally. that was before he was publicly identified as the bombing suspect. as we know he was caught the next day. we are now learning he was shot at least seven times by police after he engaged them in fire. he became unconscious soon after. he is currently intubated breathing with the help of a machine. as of late yesterday he was in no condition to speak. his wife, however, may be providing details, meeting with investigators who are trying to determine what he did the year he spent overseas, where he went to afghanistan, pakistan and who he may have met with. >> the other bomb, the one that exploded was found in a garbage
7:52 am
bin. how did it get there if he planted that bomb on 27th street right on the street? >> well, that's very interesting because that's what investigators are piecing together. they have a lot of surveillance video because of cameras that are all over the place. it appears he did place it in a dumpster. it's unclear why, because he may have seen something that spooked him so rather than leaving it outside, he just sort of put it into that dumpster. but as for the one on west 27th street, it's unclear but they know that it was him. the question is, did he stay close to the first bomb, detonate it and then plant the second bomb, okay, or did he simply, you know, walk away and call the phone and have it explode. last thing is that they want to know where he was in that three-hour time period after he detonated or after -- >> i'm thinking of the person who kicked the pressure cooker bomb. >> can you imagine? >> so much luck was involved in this. thank god. thanks so much. we are waiting for this news conference to begin out of
7:53 am
charlotte, north carolina. the mayor and police chief will update reporters on the investigation. we will bring that to you live when it happens. [ "on the road again," by willie nelson ] ♪ on the road again
7:54 am
[ rear alert sounds ] [ music stops ] ♪ just can't wait to get on the road again ♪ [ front assist sounds ] [ music stops ] [ girl laughs ] ♪ on the road again ♪ like a band of gypsies we go down the highway ♪ [ beetle horn honks ] no matter which passat you choose, you get more standard features, for less than you expected. hurry in and lease the 2017 passat s for just $199 a month. ♪ everything kids touch at school sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around.
7:55 am
use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox. nope, it's lemonade. is that ice-t? lemonade. ice-t? what's with these people, man? lemonade, read the sign. lemonade. read it. ok. delicious. ice-t at a lemonade stand? surprising. what's not surprising? how much money marin saved by switching to geico. yo, ice-t! it's lemonade, man! fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
7:56 am
7:57 am
we are waiting for a news conference to get under way at any time in charlotte. this is a live look from city hall where the mayor and police chief are expected to brief reporters on the latest into the shooting death of keith scott. when it begins of course we will bring it to you live. quick check on a couple other stories this morning. the white house investigating the possible leak of michelle obama's passport. the group d.c. leaks posted online anmage that claims it is the first lady's passport. the white house is focusing on the apparent hack of an e-mail account belonging to a low level contractor who deals with white house travel. internet giant yahoo! has been hit by one of the largest security breaches in history. at least 500 million user accounts were hacked and the breach includes e-mail addresses, phone numbers and birth dates. the company believes the hacker
7:58 am
was working for the government. thank you so much for joining me today. i'm carol costello. "at this hour with berman and bolduan" starts now. hello. i'm kate bolduan. >> i'm john berman. officials in charlotte about to hold a news conference that begins any minute now. this is about the fatal police shooting of keith lamont scott. we expect to hear from mayor jennifer roberts and police chief kerr putney. you are looking at live pictures. the big question is will they release the video of the shooting. that is what the protesters have been on the streets the last three nights want and that is what up until now, city officials have denied them. >> the third straight night of protests thankfully remaining mostly largely pretty much all peaceful. but calls for transparency are only growing louder. the city's mayor actually just
7:59 am
said, told cnn that she wants the videos to be made public or at the very least, she would like to have community leaders look at it. scott's family has seen some of the video and here's what their attorney told cnn about what it shows. >> he steps out of his vehicle, doesn't appear to be acting aggressive whatsoever, is not making any quick moves, moving slowly. he doesn't appear to be arguing or yelling at law enforcement. his hands are down by his side. you can see what appears to be some type of object in his hand but he never raises it at any point. actually, when he's shot, it looks like he's stepping backwards. >> a little bit of the backdrop of where we are right now. let's go to the ground, where brynn gingras is. >> reporter: there is still differing narrative even with the videos being viewed about what exactly unfolded on tuesday
8:00 am
between police and scott. really, that's the big question that protesters want answers to. that's the big debate. when will the video be released, will it be released. as you said, the mayor has basically said first of all it's out of her hands. she doesn't make that decision. but second of all, it is part of an investigation so it is the state's decision to decide if it should be released. she says, though, if it can't be released in its entirety, as least maybe if we can quell some fear, some questions, rather, from protesters by letting some faith community leaders come and view it for themselves and let everybody know what that video says. she also cautions you know what, there's a lot to this investigation. it's not just about the video. there were witnesses there, there were other police officers there, so it's important that everybody look at the whole investigation in its entirety and of course, that's going to take a long time for it to be finalized. really at this juncture, protests were peaceful or at least more peaceful than they were the last two nights, but certainly there

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on