Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  September 26, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
that does it for us. thanks for watching "cnn tonight" with don lemon starts right now. well, that's life with lisa ling, and this is it for hillary clinton and donald trump. and this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. you are looking at hofstra university where in just hours hillary clinton and donald trump will go head to head for the first time ever. the stakes could not be higher for the debate. 90 minutes that could change the race. the audience expected to be record-breaking, up to 100 million people could be watching. we are talking super bowl territory here. the candidates getting in their final debate prep today as the clock ticks down. meanwhile, the race is about as close as it gets. clinton just squeaking past donald trump. three points in the latest cnn poll of polls. we'll discuss that this evening. mark preston is with me. sara murray is at trump tower.
12:01 am
sara, good evening to all of you. we're less than 24 hours until hillary clinton and donald trump face off for the first time. our latest cnn poll shows hillary clinton just three points ahead of donald trump. that's nationally. with all that in mind, what are you hearing from the trump camp as they get ready to head to hofstra tomorrow? >> well, the trump campaign made it very clear they do not want lester holt playing the role of fact-checker and gave a clue how they might navigate rough moments of the debate, essentially blaming the media. listen to what kellyanne conway, trump's campaign manager, said earlier today. >> if mr. trump has any disadvantage going into tomorrow it's that he's not treated fairly. that's obvious if you read the print reports, turn on a station any point in the day.
12:02 am
the coverage is from incomplete meaning it is all negative against him to, you know, overtly biased. >> this gives you a sense that if they feel they have a rough moment, they will not believe hillary clinton got the best of them or to say it but rather blame it on media bias. they are trying to manage expectations going into the debate which is something you would expect at this point with the debate just a day away. >> we are seeing the strange back and forth over gennifer flowers, the woman bill clinton had an affair with back in the '70s and whether she was invited by the trump campaign to attend. that now appears not to be happening. this started after billionaire and trump critic mark cuban tweeted he has a front row seat to tomorrow's showdown. what's the latest here? >> if expectations wasn't enough of a mind game, these are actual mind games between the candidates. hillary clinton's camp said mark cuban who has been trolling
12:03 am
donald trump would be there, and donald trump shot back, took to twitter and said if dopey mark cuban, a failed benefactor, wants to sit in the front row, perhaps i'll put gennifer flowers right alongside of him. jennifer flowers had an affair with bill clinton when he was back in arkansas. kellyanne conway said they didn't invite flowers and don't expect her at the debate. she and other trump aides said they don't expect to bring up bill clinton's infidelities. that is a risk if they decide to bring that up to say bill clinton's past indiscretions should be pinned on hillary clinton. it is a tough sell but an indication of how donald trump felt he could get under her skin in the lead-up to this. again, we can't rule anything out. this is donald trump. it could come up. as of now, conway and the aides say this is not a line of attack they are looking to pursue.
12:04 am
>> jeff zeleny now. let's turn to hillary clinton. what's her strategy during the last few hours? >> they have been practicing throughout the weekend last night until about midnight. they had several hours of practice today as well. hillary clinton is trying to internalize donald trump's various positions on a wide array of subjects. she's been gaming it out with the donald trump stand-in. a long time aide and adviser who is cantankerous pushing back at her. they have been gaming out a number of scenarios. one is if donald trump happened to bring up gennifer flowers, monica lewinsky or other matters like that. now robby mook, the campaign manager for hillary clinton, was on "state of the union" this morning and this is what he said about those tactics. >> i think the fact that donald trump is spending the hours
12:05 am
before this debate on this sort of thing is indicative of the kind of leader he would be and the kind of president he would be. i think it is a warning sign before the debate has started about donald trump's lack of fitness, his bullying tactics that make him unfit to be president. >> that was robby mook after donald trump sent out the tweet initially about gennifer flowers. i think sara is right. i would be surprised if donald trump brings it up tomorrow at the debate. the clinton campaign believes it could help hillary clinton. there aren't a lot of things she endears sympathy for or empathy. this is one of those. particularly with all important women voters. >> brianna, both candidates are preparing for tomorrow night, doing it in very different ways. for hillary clinton, do you think there is a danger that she's overpreparing? >> she certainly has spent a lot of time preparing. i'm not sure because hillary
12:06 am
clinton has a lot of experience debating, much more than donald trump. more than any of the candidates we have seen throughout the entire cycle. but this is different. she's never had a debate against somebody like donald trump. while she performed very well in the primary debates, this is going to be a different beast. she's been preparing for different donald trumps she might encounter. is he going to be more subdued to convey he's presidential? is he going to come out swinging in the classic donald trump sense? and also when she wants to fact check him on things she feels are untrue, she has to pick and choose where she does it. a lot of what she's preparing for include different scenarios, the likes of which she hasn't seen. the risk, of course, and this is what people who watched for hers are saying. she can get too far into the weeds and needs to instead speak to voters and their concerns and convince them she's the one able
12:07 am
to do the job they want done without getting into too many details so she really, i guess, loses the big picture message with them. >> let's talk about fact-checking. the trump campaign said they don't want the moderator to fact-check and the hillary clinton says they do. if you are telling the truth, why don't you want the moderator to fact check? >> we heard from the executive director that is staging this event and he said it's not the moderator's role, so to speak. that it really should be done between the two candidates. we have heard from former moderators as well who said they don't think that's the role necessarily of the moderator. to your point, i think it puts all of the moderators in a difficult position. you are basically telling them to throw out the window what their job is and for 90 minutes to stand on stage and basically be a traffic cop. that's what it sounds like. i would say there's been so much
12:08 am
made about the fact-checking controversy that i think if anyone does lie on stage tomorrow night, if anyone decides to stretch the truth, while there may not be realtime fact-checking on stage, we'll see what happens with lester holt. you will see realtime fact-checking on social media, certainly post fact-checking by the media. that's going to carry weight. i don't think it will be totally void of this. i don't think people can get away with lies necessarily. it could be done in different way than in the past. >> as we were looking ahead to tomorrow's debate i want to read this line from "the atlantic" on donald trump. it said the press takes him literally but not seriously. his supporters take him seriously but not literally. the author there is talking about some of the claims trump likes to make. >> facts, clearly, don't necessarily matter in this election.
12:09 am
i say it and when we have the discussion, don, amongst the four of us on the show, the perplexing for all of us no matter how many times they say what donald trump said is not actually accurate, you become attacked. interestingly enough going into the debate, there seems to be an idea that it doesn't necessarily matter what the facts are. we like donald trump. he's going to change things. that's been difficult in our business to try to deal with, and it is difficult for the hillary clinton campaign which is befuddled how to address donald trump and how he acts. >> let's discuss the debate in depth. the campaign season, this campaign season in particular is chock full of zingers. there's this one memorable one-liner from 1984, reagan and mondale, their debate. >> i will not make age an issue of this campaign.
12:10 am
i am not going to exploit for political purpose my opponent's youth and inexperience for political points. >> that one-liner came from former fox chief roger ailes who is now advising donald trump. what do you think he's telling trump to do or not do on the debate stage tomorrow night? >> well, look, one of the things they feel confident about is donald trump understands the showmanship of television. he understands the potency of landing the one-liner. the other thing they understand is that you are going to be on a split screen. this is one of the things that helped sink president obama in the first debate in 2012. he looked disengaged, annoyed to be there, ultimately up against romney. ultimately it didn't matter. president obama won re-election. i think roger ailes knows what it looks like on television, sounds like on television.
12:11 am
remember, donald trump made a lot of faces, a lot of hand gestures in the republican primary debates and that's part of what roger ailes brings to the table. not just messaging or framing something that will appeal to republicans and independents but what will this look like on television? this is a television event, part of what roger ailes brings to the table. we'll see whether donald trump practices one-liners ahead of time or whether he's quick on his feet. they believe he has an edge over hillary clinton to be more responsive like that. that's also the kind of thing that got him in trouble. there is a risk there, too. >> so many of hillary clinton's ads use donald trump's words against him. his comments on women, on the disabled and so on. is there a concern on the part of the clinton camp that he'll be able to turn the page on that tomorrow and appear more presidential? >> i think there is a concern. i think, one, he will come and
12:12 am
try to be -- just have a different temperament. her entire argument is that he's temperamentally unfit. that's her concern. it's part of the reason we know she's been working on ways to get under donald trump's skin. specifically, she's been looking at tape of donald trump in previous debates and moments where, for instance, ted cruz got under his skin. i think she wants to make sure he doesn't appear to be an entirely different person than we have known him throughout the cycle. what we know is a lot of people may not have paid attention much until now and there will be millions upon millions of viewers and a third are saying this performance tomorrow night, this debate will be consequential in who they decide to vote for in november. she's trying to figure out a way she can control that and make sure it doesn't happen. i think the campaign is worried, too, that if he does come appearing more presidential that is going to be something the
12:13 am
media says, wow, look, he did this. they want to make sure just him doing that isn't something where it is considered a victory for him by observers. >> right. brianna, thank you, sara, mark and jeff. when we come back, winning debate tactics. what to watch for when hillary clinton and donald trump go head to head tomorrow night.
12:14 am
12:15 am
12:16 am
less than 24 hours before the first presidential debate between hillary clinton and
12:17 am
donald trump. here to discuss, paris denard, a trump supporter, maria cardona, mark preston, andre bauer, the former lieutenant of south carolina, a trump supporter, and angela rye. and kevin madden. ready for this? >> ready. >> it should be football music. >> get ready to rumble. >> tomorrow night a super bowl-sized crowd tomorrow night. what should we look for? >> we can go through the machinations of how donald trump will act. i think he'll act presidential. during. afterwards he'll go on a tweet storm that will be epic. but watch body language. as we talked about in the previous segment, it will be split screens. let's see how they react in the realtime of how they are talking. >> mr. madden? >> mark is right. one thing that's important is everybody remembers three or
12:18 am
four big moments, and the next 48 hours are all about discussing or dissecting three or four big moments. i think both campaigns are going to come in this trying to hammer home a few big points about their candidacy so they have one of those big moments. >> see if they can upset the other one, move them, get emotions going, and hillary has a background stronger than trump on the issues. trump has a different background, different approach. it will be interesting to see who can get the other off their game. >> do you think she can get under his skin? >> absolutely. >> do you think he can get under hers? >> absolutely. >> you think so? >> i do. >> hasn't been this a whole campaign of them getting under each other's skin? >> and they have different ways of doing it. some of the ways hillary has done it -- we call it throwing shade -- has been more effective. from the outset, the dnc, her nomination speech, she talked about being able to bait him with a tweet.
12:19 am
it's demonstrated time and time again that's the case. not just hillary clinton. ask cnn's own bakari. he's blocked. >> she can feed donald trump his own words in a way that drives a wedge between him n the argument that he's just like the average person or his policies help the average person. the clinton campaign believes they don't. using his own words to demonstrate it will be a tactic. >> i think it goes to -- i think hillary clinton will try for the real donald trump to show up. i'm sure his campaign is trying to tell him. who knows if he's practiced or not. tried to tell him to be calm, to be presidential. what he's never done before is never stood on a debate stage for 90 minutes one on one. against one other person where
12:20 am
he actually has to talk for more than 15 seconds. to me, i think that will be a challenge for him. yes, we talk about how he's a reality show host. let's be real. these shows are heavily edited. they are one-liners for him. the stuff he said in "the apprentice" are one liners. this will be a different reality for him, and what she'll try to do is for the real trump to show up. >> paris, is that a problem for him? >> no. we under estimate how important the primary process was for mr. trump to stand there against some of the very best in the republican party had to offer and debate them and go after them and actually at the end of the day win. while secretary clinton is a formidable candidate, she's very qualified, very much someone who is a seasoned campaigner. to your point, what we hope happens, is that hillary clinton shows up. the one that's so professorial, so much of a lawyer. it doesn't come from the heart
12:21 am
and isn't so honest in the way she answers. i hope that hillary clinton answers and mr. trump counters the way he always does. one thing he's very good at is staying on the message he gets from the american people and how he articulates. >> is it bad for her? she does overexplain sometimes. is that an issue for her? >> her biggest hurdle will be, you know, if she's likable. >> relatable. >> she knows policy. everybody knows that. she knows policy. can she come across as likable, and the democrats out there are hitting it up on social media saying you are being unfair to hillary clinton. i would say donald trump's biggest problem will be, to talk about what maria said, is that the bottom line is in a republican primary debate -- and i produced them since 2006 -- you have 30 seconds to answer. we are now in a general election debate. there are two minutes. that's a long time.
12:22 am
>> he needs to tell his story. he can talk about central park, real life issues. >> hold on. he's going to bring up central park? >> he fixed the ice skating rink. >> oh, okay. >> he can actually show why a businessperson instead of a 40-year politician brings dynamic change to washington. >> when you say central park, when you say central park most people think of the central park five. >> he can define what they ought to be thinking about. >> i want to clarify that. >> i hope it happens. hillary clinton will have a whole arsenal and i hope lester holt brings it up in terms of questions. the one thing donald trump, i don't think, has been hit hard enough on is his business record. the fact that trump university has 3,500 people that have lawsuits against donald trump because they feel they have been defrauded. you look at the housing and
12:23 am
mortgages. most of his businesses, if you talk to businesspeople in new york, they talk about what a fraud and what a completely awful businessman he is. >> you think that will come up tomorrow? >> i hope it comes up. he's been running on his business record. >> mark and i discussed it a little bit. that's facts. it's been said we don't want the moderator be a fact-checker. that's odd to me. if someone isn't telling the truth, you want to say that's not the truth and let them go on and explain. >> it will be a much more interesting debate to let the two of them -- to see how they handle, wait, that's not true. to watch them go at it and see how presidential they can be. >> i don't know if that's -- i don't agree that's incumbent upon the two people. they are always going to -- they accuse each other of things. it's incumbent on the moderator. facts are facts. >> what if they have the facts wrong. >> we were having a debate.
12:24 am
>> if i were going to fact check that quick every issue that comes up. >> they can. >> we have had moderators wrong before. >> as much as i love you, that's not necessarily true. >> fact check. >> that's not a road we should go down tonight. we can have a discussion afterwards. you can have an argument over what the real unemployment rate is based upon the underemployed and those who have come off the rolls, and that's hard to fact check. it's open to interpretation. however, if he says, i stopped the birther issue in 2011, we know that's not true. if it were to come up there are facts that are clear that you could address or if hillary clinton says something about e-mail or servers, we know what happened. >> you will see the candidates fact-check each other, and the moderator will essentially have them touch gloves, come out and fight with each other on the bigger issues.
12:25 am
that's ultimately where the moderator will go. positioning the candidates to debate over each other's view of the facts. >> we are not done yet. she wants to be judged on substance. he wants to be judged on style. each candidate says, wait, you shouldn't judge him on style or substance. what's going on? they both want to be judged on two different things. we'll discuss when we come back. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides.
12:26 am
12:27 am
12:28 am
12:29 am
on the eve of the first presidential debate of this election year, the latest polls show hillary clinton and donald trump are neck and neck. i'm not going to keep introducing you guys. they're back. do you think they will be judged on a curve here? >> listen, at the end of the day mr. trump wants to be judged as her equal. as someone who deserves to be on the stage, someone that is qualified to be on stage and someone who has the capability of being president of the united states. i don't know if the media will treat him like that.
12:30 am
>> i can feel your laughter. >> i am laughing. >> do you think they're equals? >> no, they are not. breaking, they're not equals. in addition to that, it's funny you think the curve is against him and he's not riding the curve. to the point of, oh, he told the truth in one whole answer. yay! good job, donald trump. donald trump didn't scream at her or say, look at that face. i don't think they will be judged on the same standard at all. in addition to that, when you look at how much they have told the truth, the fact her trustworthiness is in question is astounding to me. he lies so much because he comes across as authentic and wins the fight. it is amazing. >> you saw why the expectations for donald trump are so low because so many critics of trump's say he doesn't deserve to be on the stage. it levels the candidates the second they walk on stage.
12:31 am
do you know what? this happened for president obama, then senator obama in 2008. so many people said he's not ready. he's too young, too inexperienced. mccain has the experience. the second they walked on stage and then senator obama held his own on foreign policy issues that were supposed to be the strength of john mccain. in the minds of the voters watching, he passed a test. what's going to happen for the headline that the trump folks want to drive is they want to just pass the test of, hey, he actually deserved to be there. >> he held his own. >> he's not as bad as they say. >> what does deserve to be on stage mean? if he can't go into policy, and i hope lester holt drills him on, what does that mean? how will you have mexico pay for the wall? he hasn't been able to tell us the plan on isis. those are the specifics that matter. i'm glad paris said he wants to be judged as an equal. because another thing that's come up in this last week, and i'm thrilled to see it.
12:32 am
we'll see how it plays out tomorrow, is the fact that donald trump is the biggest liar we have had as a presidential candidate probably in history. >> that's not true. >> it is true. >> your candidate -- >> this is not an opinion. it is a fact. >> let's show the fact. >> you have heard four decades of her lying. >> -- underscore how much he has been lying. >> politico fact-checked trump for five days. in five hours, he averaged one false statement every three minutes and 15 seconds. they found 87 erroneous statements just this past week. that compared to one every 12 minutes for hillary clinton. >> exactly. there you go. >> yet donald trump is seen in the new. and abc poll as more trustworthy. >> that's the challenge. >> this is now being talked about. >> you don't believe even though the facts show he does -- >> she's been in hiding for months.
12:33 am
she hasn't been around to -- >> oh, come on. it's equitable. >> we are talking about facts here. >> yes. >> i'll read it again. here's the fact. explain this to me. five days. in five hours of remarks he averaged one falsehood statement every three minutes and 15 seconds. they found 87 statements just this past week. compared to every 12 minutes for hillary clinton. >> again, what were his versus hers? hers are whitewater -- you go down the list. oh, i had a few e-mails that were yoga pants and weddings. i always get somebody to put bleachbit on -- of course, if i saw her in yoga pants, i'd probably want to bleachbit it again. >> andre! >> oh, wow. >> she came to the american people -- >> are you sure you want to say that? >> i'm making fun at it. >> that's not funny. >> she lied to the people so bad. >> andre -- >> saying this is nothing but yoga pants and wedding invitations.
12:34 am
in fact, it was so bad she paid somebody to come in and wipe clean a server. >> we're already getting under andre's skin. imagine tomorrow night how hillary can get under trump's skin by using his own words against him. nbc did another survey or study. it said donald trump in 117 times changed his policy positions on 20 different issues. in one day, on three completely different stances on one issue which was abortion. this is all starting to be looked at in a way it hasn't been before. >> as a nonpartisan person here, what do you want to say? >> i think changing positions is different than lying. it's okay to change positions. >> 117 times over 20 issues? >> you think they are on the same level -- >> three times in one day?
12:35 am
>> he's saying there is a lifetime of -- decades -- >> there is distrust with the clintons as a whole. we understand that. they have a long career. and there should be an incredible amount of scrutiny on everything she does. she's just not going to pass, nor should he. and he is getting a pass, not necessarily from the media, but the voters. if that's what the voters want to do, it's up to the voters. >> why do you say he's getting a vote? >> it is tied now. it's basically tied. he has a shot of winning. he has a litany of things where he has erroneously said things, and he's still there. the voters don't care much about the facts. >> there are facts i hope mr. trump brings up about hillary clinton. she did delete several thousand e-mails that were problematic as relate back to benghazi.
12:36 am
there were facts about what she called 14 million americans who voted for mr. trump, a basket of deplorables. there are facts she talked about african-americans as superpredators and facts she will have to explain. those are facts. >> and she will. >> in response to that i hope she brings up the central park five case to him, the housing discrimination from the department of justice that she said black people have an inherent lazy gene when he talked about his accountant and didn't know why he was counting his money. there is a record he has as well. it may not be lies but they are deplorable statements. half of the people in the basket, the basket is really big. it needs to be bigger. it's not just the 14 million that voted for him. she said half of those people. i get tweets every day. we had one on air the other day. the representative from north carolina saying we are angry and we are part of a welfare state. those are deplorable statements by deplorable people.
12:37 am
i'm not talking about yoga pants, just the way they think. >> we were talking about judging on the curve. i think that's a sexist remark. i'm sure some women here don't want to see donald trump in yoga pants as well. i'm just saying -- >> i don't want to see myself in yoga pants. >> mark talks about it and what's interesting is the fact that it is even. even though she's outspent him. look at florida, 53 to 1. she spent over $100 million. he spent $12 million and it is an even race. i don't know why he's not spending more. i would say pull aahead, don't stay in a tie race. spend more money. it is interesting at this point in the race so close to the election he hasn't spent more money and the fact is it's level with the disproportionate -- >> there's been decades or whatever -- trump hasn't been running for president for 24 years.
12:38 am
he spent his career as a successful businessman. if you were expecting the same polish from a verbal gunslinger who speaks to the heart of the american people. is that grading on a curve? >> that's managing expectations. in managing expectations in line with what sean hopes to achieve with his candidate tomorrow night. first of all, donald trump doesn't have policy polish or will pretend he does in one night. he'll keep it simple. secondly, he has to present himself as a vehicle for change against the status quo. that's why you saw sean reference this running for president for 24 years. and what people's anxieties about the last eight years of this presidency, he's -- they're going to try to present donald trump as the way to combat that or the way to overcome what they think was the wrong direction. >> he's managing expectations. i don't think his campaign manager is. we'll play what she said after this coming up.
12:39 am
if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough,
12:40 am
ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach.
12:41 am
12:42 am
back now with my political dream team. everybody is here. i told you i would stop introducing you. this is new from danmerica.
12:43 am
he went back to hillary clinton has done back for debate preparations late sunday night according to a source familiar with the clinton sessions. headed back to the hotel near her home in chappaqua after meeting with benjamin netanyahu in new york city. i don't know. she's preparing. some people say she's maybe overpreparing. >> why? >> i don't know. >> i don't understand that. >> you have to debate ten people at once in one body, you need to prepare. >> we were talking about -- kevin talked about managing expectations that sean spicer is saying he doesn't have the polish and the verbal -- he's a verbal gunslinger. this is what kellyanne conway the trump campaign manager, said earlier today about that. >> newt gingrich put it best. the former speaker recently said donald trump is the best debater he's ever seen. he's the babe ruth of debating. he shows up, swings and does a great job. >> i love kellyanne. but really? really? the babe ruth of debating?
12:44 am
first of all, i didn't know there was babe ruth of debating. if there ever was a babe ruth in recent memory, his name is barack obama. he was the one who was unbelievable on the debate stage. >> we got him in 2008. >> in fairness, donald trump defied expectation. nobody believed he'd be able to be where he is today. one thing he does is he's quick on his feet. he responds the way people don't expect him to respond and he always goes back to the american people. he messages back to the american people. we can expect him not to look at hillary clinton or talk to her. he'll talk to the american people. his opportunity to message to them. >> the biggest thing is, we can say we want to appeal to everyone under the sun but really it's the few swing states and getting to those people who feel they don't have a voice.
12:45 am
>> i think that could be a huge benefit for hillary clinton. you look at what he's done when you look at the diverse coalition of people that live in the country. the democrats he offended from the first day he announced his campaign. that's where i think you will see hillary clinton really talk to the american people about how we are stronger together. about how she's the one to build bridges and lift up everybody as opposed to dividing everybody which is the rhetoric he's used. i think in terms of expectations it's smart to tone down the expectations, and i agree, he's not going to come up on stage and try to pretend he's a big policy wonk. he's not. he shouldn't try to do that. i think hillary clinton can turn that on its head and focus on the sentiments we have seen, the american people, in poll after poll. that believe she's the one that has the temperament to be commander in chief. she's the one most trusted in an international crisis. those are feelings people go in.
12:46 am
>> her expectations are high. >> they are. absolutely, they are really high. >> you can't say is that fair because everything is fair. >> she can use it to her advantage. it is going to be incumbent upon lester holt to make sure to the extent he can, and he should try to fact check when he needs to, he probably needs to a lot. but to make the stage equal in whatever way he can. >> let's talk about it because people say you never know which donald trump will show up. most of the time barack obama, when he was running, was barack obama. right? he was sort of the same person. right? mitt romney was mitt romney. you never know who you will get for donald trump. a lot of it in the primaries, he insulted opponents, made sexist comments. play this. >> you have called women you don't like fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals. your twitter account -- >> only rosie o'donnell.
12:47 am
i think she has a beautiful face, and she's a beautiful woman. why does she keep interrupting everybody? >> yeah. >> by all accounts, from most people i heard that have given donald trump advice, they don't want that donald trump to show up. is that a good strategy or should this donald trump show up? >> absolutely not. kellyanne conway, i give her credit. you saw it change when she came on board. i don't know if she gets credit. her demeanor. she's very good. he's become more of a candidate i can be proud of, that i can support. i have liked to see i have appreciated the evolution of him becoming less of a gunslinger, but it was refreshing in a republican primary. it didn't suit for a general election against a formidable opponent like hillary clinton. >> a couple of things. the kellyanne campaign is different from the donald trump campaign. the reason is you still haven't seen a consistent candidate show up. you have seen donald trump in his many forms continuing to
12:48 am
show up. they said let donald trump be donald trump. he's been that in the various ways he can do it. the other thing that's important, hillary clinton's campaign message is stronger together. it is a forward-facing message. donald trump's message since he slid down the escalator is make america great again. >> fact check. >> fact check. >> he rode the escalator down. >> very elegantly. >> should she get into the mud with him? >> she has a lot of work to do. if she were to attack him. >> i'm glad you said that. what her supporters, surrogates and people are saying is she should be judged on policy. shouldn't be judged on style. they say he should be judged -- >> they are all judged on style. >> because it is a television event. >> yes. >> hillary clinton could have a good night or a bad night. we all seem to remember her bad
12:49 am
nights. when she's on, on the debate stage she's good. >> the way she'll fact-check him and lay down lines of attack will be feeding donald trump his own words. >> exactly. i agree. >> he's not -- he doesn't attack. in all of the past debates when donald trump was at his best, he was counterattacking. when he counterattacks, does so with a flurry of punches, and he's relentless. that played well in the republican primaries. except when he did it with carly fiorina. when you do it with a woman, it is somewhat troublesome. >> exactly right. >> there were some with jeb bush that were bad. >> that was big, exactly. >> hands down. i have a big challenge for him. >> what do you think? he'll be on stage with a woman. that's something he has to be careful about. you have to admit it. >> mr. trump has a record of having women in executive leadership in his business. >> i just mean from a
12:50 am
performance -- not arguing that part. he's got to be careful how he interacts with her and doesn't come off with -- just like women have a double standard. >> i think they are talking to him and want him to succeed. >> up next, the good, the bad and ugly moments from past debates.
12:51 am
12:52 am
12:53 am
12:54 am
the upcoming debate will be 90 minutes long but will be remembered for clips or slips that last only a few seconds. jeanne moos reports on memorable moments from past debates. >> reporter: prepare for the good, the bad and the ugly debate moments. the only things candidate points are fingers. the debate duel is fraught with zingers. >> senator, you're no jack kennedy. >> even if one of the more famous debate zingers -- >> i am paying for this microphone. >> reporter: -- was a line borrowed. >> don't you shut me off. i paid for this broadcast. >> reporter: -- from spencer tracy running for president in a movie. we've seen debates remembered
12:55 am
for winks. >> how long have i been at this? for weeks? debates remembered for sweat, for sighs. >> that's what a governor gets to do. there's differences. >> reporter: ross perot's running mate became famous for being unknown. >> who am i? why am i here? >> reporter: candidates should probably avoid invading their opponent's space. >> and i believe i can. >> reporter: made hillary's senate rival look like a stalker. >> i want your signature. >> reporter: a signature line is what lives on after a debate. >> there you go again. >> i hear there's rumors on the internets. >> i don't think i'm that bad. >> you're likable enough, hillary. >> reporter: advance beyond the primary debates. >> and the -- what's the third one there. let's see. >> reporter: thing to avoid -- >> oops. >> is the oops moment. >> reporter: and when a donald debates hillary, he should stick
12:56 am
to bragging about the size of his buildings. >> he referred to my hands. if they're small, something else must be small. i guarantee you there's no problem. i guarantee it. >> reporter: jeanne moos, cnn. >> are we not doing the talent portion? >> reporter: new york. >> oh, boy. i can't wait for tomorrow. that's it for us. thanks for watching. stay with cnn as we count down to what may be the most anticipated presidential debate in history. our coverage starts at 4:00 p.m. hillary clinton and donald trump take the stage at 9:00 p.m. it's all right here on cnn. good night. . .
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
when you should be enjoying still payour retirement?me if you've paid off at least 50% of your mortgage and you're 62 or older, a reverse mortgage might be the answer. a government-backed reverse mortgage stops your mortgage payments and gives you steady tax-free income. let the home you've taken care of, take care of you. turn your equity into a comfortable retirement, all while continuing to live in, and own, your home. find out how much you could receive for retirement. lendingtree: when banks compete, you win.
1:00 am
and here we go. hillary clinton and donald trump set to come face-to-face. the first debate hours away. both set to address critical issues. both foreign and domestic and what each could do to win over the voters. "early start" begins right now. welcome to "early start." i'm christine romans. >> i'm john berman. it is monday, september 26th. 4:00 a.m. in the east. it is here.

140 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on