Skip to main content

tv   First Presidential Debate  CNN  September 26, 2016 9:30pm-11:01pm PDT

9:30 pm
hasn't done prior to tonight? >> yes. she has. >> all right. thank you so much. i want to come over here to get your reaction from donald trump. what did you think about his performance tonight? >> i thought he was disrespectful in his comments, and especially toward hillary and lester holt as he was asking questions. >> all right. wolf, back to you. >> all right. pamela, some of these voters are telling you this debate helped them decide who they will vote for. what are they saying? >> that's right. in fact, they all came in tonight undecided. some have made up their mind. show of hand for those voting for hillary clinton? all right. four right here. show of hands for those who still have no ideahere.
9:31 pm
his unpreparedness or lack of grasp of the issues given the amount of time that he had available to him is a disrespect to the voters and a disrespect to the process, and if that's how him and his campaign are going to run this, i can only imagine the consequences of a trump government. >> all right. anderson, as you see, some of these undecided voters no longer undecided. they say they'll vote for hillary clinton. a majority of them say they're still undecided. two more presidential debates to go. back to you. >> thank you very much, and please thank all of them. jeffrey, it's interesting to hear him pointing out -- hear the lady before, the woman pointing out the interruptions. did that strike you as unusual when donald trump was doing it? >> no.
9:32 pm
in all candor, it didn't. i mean, i just think when you're in these particularly now, when the -- >> i look at you and think what would ronald reagan do. >> he's trying to be my mark cuban over here. no, i think in this day and age we live in an era where these things have got to be aggressive. when you think of the whole kennedy nixon thing, even the reagan carter debates, that era is gone. we are living in an era where there is reality tv, donald trump aside. people are aggressive. clinton clinton gets aggressive on occasion. she was aggressive defending herself against the senate committee there, the house committee in terms of benghazi. i mean, that -- this is the way i think our modern society is. >> well, but can i say, not to pull the gender card here, but,
9:33 pm
all right. >> you're going to pull it in. >> as a woman, it was so -- >> there it is. >> sorry. it is so noticeable to me that he just kept, and lester holt kept saying to him she as her two minutes. don't interrupt. she has her to two minutes. give her a chance to talk. and he kept interrupting and not listening to lester holt who gently said it. gently chastised him. >> let me push back on you. >> he did it to the males. he's rude to men and he's rude to women. >> to which i would add if she can't handle that from -- >> it doesn't excuse the birther thing that he's also racist to mexicans. >> 51 times according to fox, he interrupted hillary, and it's not just like at a dinner
9:34 pm
conversation. there is something that happens. there is. and i felt this way when president obama walked out there to debate john mccain. you see the first woman nominee and he interrupts her 51 times dismissively. >> he was that way in the primary debates nature doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. it wasn't the right thing to do. i think that he went with what he saw work in the primaries. i think you saw the backlash. >> she is running for president of the united states. if she can't handle this -- wait. if she can't -- i mean why is everybody so upset. you think vladimir putin is going to care? >> we're pointing out out because people in the focus group are pointing it out as something that disturbed them. >> she handled it well. a man tried to bully a woman. >> come on. one candidate went after another candidate. >> the gender card.
9:35 pm
>> donald trump went to pieces. he's the one who whined. kellyanne conway, he's the babe ruth of debating. he's a baby. >> you do her a disservice when you say that. she's a very strong person. >> she did great. >> when barack obama was running for president and people interrupted him, we didn't say you interrupted him and you shouldn't interrupt a black man running for president. and so i think that's a mistake. i think -- now, i take it as meaningful that people react the way they do. >> right. that's what i'm saying. >> for him, but she handled him very well. >> i think that's right. >> what we saw about the end of the debate, how rosie o'donnell, i don't think that impressed vad mir. >> i think donald trump is here, he needs to improve his standing
9:36 pm
with women and improve his standing with college educated women who spend a lot of time in meetings with men who interrupt them. and i think that split screen of donald trump -- >> that's fair. >> next to hillary clinton exacerbated that problem in the original debates. >> you know what the larger problem was? we didn't talk about immigration. that's been one of the central points. and we didn't talk about obama care. two major issues. what i'm saying is you can blame donald trump or clinton, the american people don't know where they stand on it. and they're running for president. >> they also didn't talk about trust. he did not succeed in raising the single. >> 11% of the american public think hillary clinton is trustworthy. >> why didn't he mention it? >> i'm not donald trump, guys. hold on. if i was on the debate stage -- i think the american people missed out. >> we have two more debates for it. >> this is 100 million people
9:37 pm
tuning in. the issue of immigration -- >> i wish trump had raised it. >> we have to take a quick break. a reality check on cyber attack claims. and we want to find out your opinion. we'll share the results ahead. you're not a cook, if you don't cook. you're not a firefighter, if you don't fight fires.
9:38 pm
or a coach, if you don't coach. and you can't be our leader, if you don't lead. our next president needs to take action on social security, or future generations could lose up to $10,000 a year. we're working hard, what about you? hey candidates, do your jobs. keep social security strong.
9:39 pm
9:40 pm
9:41 pm
welcome back. want to get to david. we have this exclusive cnnorc insta poll. good numbers for hillary clinton. >> without doubt. it's a poll of debate watchers. these are people that watched the debate, the audience tonight skewed a little democratic, but take a look at this. the overall who won the debate, overwhelmingly hillary clinton was seen as the debate winner. 62 % for clinton. 27% for trump. we asked about what the audience thought about the attacks. were they fair. take a look at this. were trump attacks fair and look how it divides by gender. among women a majority of women who watched said no, trump's attacks were not fair. 52%. 44 % said they were. look at how men responded. 58% of men said that trump's attacks on hillary clinton were
9:42 pm
fair. 39% say they were not. that is a fascinating gender divide. hillary clinton's attacks on donald trump had a bit of a gender difference but not as big as donald trump had. 70% of women said hillary clinton's attacks were fair. 29% no. 64% of men said hillary clinton's attacks were fair. 34 % no. and then, of course, one of the ultimate questions, who did the debate make you more likely to vote for? of these debate watchers tonight, 34 % said they're more likely to vote for clinton. 18% said it made them more likely to vote for trump. nearly after the audience watching said neither, they are not more likely to vote for either after the debate. >> based on these numbers, a good night for hillary clinton. >> a good night, but always looking for the negative. that's what reporters do. in an audience that skews democratic, for almost half to say they're not convinced is
9:43 pm
telling and shows there's work for hillary clinton to do. she had a good night and debate. donald trump did not have such a great debate or night. but it's not over. there are two more debates and a vice presidential debate and there are skeptics. we talked about the hurdles that both candidates had. she did a lot to help push and needle donald trump so he took the bait and furthered the cause of disqualifying hyimself. on that she did much to have people become more e nnamored wh her. i'm not discounting, but she's got other issues when it comes to honesty perceived by the voters. >> two more debates coming up. i assume both campaigns will go through the video and make recommendations what to do next time. >> you would assume and hope so. i think that's what anybody would do. the 47 %, almost half the people
9:44 pm
saying they weren't convinced mirrors what pam brown found. most of the people who raised their hand saying they still don't know. a few people, a hand full said they were now going to go for hillary clinton. but i think that, yes, she did have a good night when it comes to getting donald trump to take the bait. but going into this debate, i was told by an advisor and reporter on one of your shows earlier that her main goal was to tell 100 million or however many people watching what she's going to do. and she did it a little bit, but she did spend the majority of her time trying to disqualify him, and maybe she didn't have -- she missed a little bit of an opportunity to do more of both. >> yeah. >> in that sense. >> and we've talked about this before, dana. the hillary clinton campaign perceives her to be the most famous woman you don't know
9:45 pm
anything about. >> exactly. >> and they talked about how she was going to tell the story we heard during the democratic convention about her lifelong activism. we didn't hear a tremendous amount about that. >> about that and also about the specifics on her policy proposals. what she's going to do and why she's the best person to do it. we heard a little bit. >> stand by. two more reality checks based on the comments made by the candidates. tom and jim are standing by. tom, what have you learned? >> wolf, hillary clinton did not think a whole lot of donald trump's views on climate change. >> donald thinks that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the chinese. i think it's real. >> i did not. i do not say that. >> and i think it's important that we grip this and deal with it both at home and abroad. >> she says he did. he says i don't. this is the problem with twitter. it leaves a record. and, yes, many times on twitter he's referred to climate change
9:46 pm
as a hoax. specifically in 2012 he said the concept of climaglobal warming created by the chinese. that makes what she said about this true. >> interesting. jim, you did a reality check as well. what did you find out? >> that's right. the topic here, what was behind the recent cyber attacks on the dnc state election systems. a sharp difference of opinion here. here's hillary clinton. >> there's no doubt now that russia has usedcyber attacks against all kinds of organizations in our country. >> donald trump difference of opinion. >> i don't think anybody knows it was russia that broke into the dnc. she's saying russia, russia, russia, maybe it was. it could be them but also china or lots of other people. it could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. the question is russia the prime
9:47 pm
suspect for the serious cyber attacks on the u.s. election system? let's look at the facts. multiple officials and lawmakers briefed on the intelligence have told cnn that russia or hackers working for russia are the most likely culprits. we should say, however, that the obama administration has not publicly blamed russia. so absent that public blame or a russian admission, it's hard to say with 100 % certainty that the russian government ordered this dnc hack, but there's compelling evidence russia was linked to the hack, so cnn we rate it as true. one more time, a reminder for the viewers that for this and all other reality checks go to cnn/realitycheck.com. >> thank you. the vice presidential debate is only eight days from now in virginia. you'll see that live here on cnn. we're traveling the country to
9:48 pm
cover every moment of this historic election. cnn in partnership with instagram, facebook, technologies is visiting battle ground states talking to voters about their choice for president. you can get involved. post a photo on instagram and tell us who you're voting for with the hash tag, my vote. your picture could be used in our election coverage. coming up, final thoughts on this historic debate. and we're tallying up the responses online to the question, did the debate change your vote? we'll reveal the results. that's next.
9:49 pm
9:50 pm
9:51 pm
9:52 pm
we are ready to tap the keg here at hofstra university. did the debate change your vote. 24% said yes. 76% said no. not a scientific poll but interesting nonetheless. we have been looking at the key moments and exchanges. one that donald trump raised against hillary clinton. let's play a part of that exchange. >> doesn't have the look or the stamina. i said she doesn't have the stamina, and i don't believe she does have the stamina to be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina.
9:53 pm
you have so many different things you have to be able to do, and i don't believe that hillary has the stamina. >> well, as soon as he travels to 112 countries and negotiates a peace deal, a cease-fire, a release of dissidents and an opening of new opportunities in nations around the world, or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of a congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina. hillary has experience, but it's bad experience. we have made so many bad deals during the last -- so she's got experience that i agree but it's bad. bad experience. >> what do you make of that exchange? >> the last line was the right line and the line he should have been making throughout the debate. this is like a drinking game where someone owes him beers for how many times he said it.
9:54 pm
no one that watched this debate would say she doesn't have the stamina. >> she was smiling and really like what is this guy talking about. >> on the other hand the video of her collapsing, the pictures are worth a thousand words. that's going to haunt her. >> look, i think it hurt her at the time but i think she put it to rest tonight. >> a story about debates and one point was you should watch the debate with the sound off. so much about past debates have been how candidates, not what they said but who i they responded to each other. when al gore invaded george w. bush's space and george w. bush looked at him, laughed and kept going. >> her body language, for people that criticize, they criticize her no matter what she does. tonight you hear no criticism. the preparation paid off. she was able to stand here and
9:55 pm
she was in control. i agree at the beginning he was strong but he faded quickly. if anyone showed a lack of stamina tonight, mentally, politically and otherwise it was donald trump, not hillary clinton. >> she pounded him over an hour. i will give her the first half hour. >> here's the question, what's at the next debate? all indications are from the people around him that he is going to want to be more aggressive. next debate is a town hall meeting. anderson will be there. one of the great moderators. >> a town hall meeting and it's very hard to be nasty with a bunch of citizens sitting around you. he's going to get a very bad reaction. it's a bad draw for him if his strategy, i don't think it is the right strategy for him but if his strategy is to get uglier in the next debate.
9:56 pm
>> it is supposed to be undecided voters picked by gallup. those are the people asking -- >> at the end when she talked about the woman in the beauty contest she told a story about someone else. both can 2k5i9s were talking about themselves, their ideas for most of the debate. in a town hall setting the key is relate to the person. share their ain,feeltheir pain as bill clinton would say. neither one of these cab dates is especially good at that. >> i remember during the town halls you did and others here at cnn, it was interesting to me to watch donald trump during those because he didn't stand up and relate to the audience, like a lot of other candidates did. instead he looked at you and the other candidates would stand up, talk to the audience. >> they all lost. >> and they all lost and trump won. >> that's right.
9:57 pm
politician versus the nonpolitician. >> what you say is undecides. people have not been moved to hillary clinton tonight. if she had such a great night this is not a good night when 47% of the people have not moved her way after a night when some people -- >> 90% of the public -- >> you have five major polls out right now. the media account is lester holt injected himself to be the third debater in this. that's where the media scrutiny is. now it is getting away from hillary clinton and donald trump and for someone who's supposed to have a good night she didn't move any voters. that's a real problem. >> music to my ears. there's no problem in trump land. keep doing what you are doing. >> let trump be trump. i'm all for it. i'm the most for let trump be trump.
9:58 pm
>> disagreeable and uninformed. >> but honest and trustworthy which hillary clinton can't be. >> he is the biggest liar. every 3:50 second he tells a lie. >> but not to the fbi. hillary clinton does that. >> there are millennials and hillary clinton is struggling to get them excited. she talked about climate change, people who are certain age and above say whatever. for a lot of young voters that's their main issue. she also talked about criminal justice and said stuff nobody ever said, ending mandatory mims, giving second chances to people locked up, racial bias, exposed stop and frisk is a joke that didn't work. we don't talk about them but for the younger voters climate and criminal justice mattered and she hit that tonight. >> she talked about college affordabili affordability. >> 30 years, she's been talking
9:59 pm
about the same issues for a long time. he said it multiple times. >> that was the best part of his night. >> he continues to remind everybody she has had 30 years to solve these problems and they havent been resolved. >> these been the president of the united states for 30 years. >> she's been in washington off and on 30 years and nothing has changed. >> the question would be why weren't the problems solved in the first clinton administrations and the obama administration? >> the obama administration had to clean up after eight years of george w. bush. >> john lewis has been a civil rights icon for 50 years but we still have racism. is john lewis a fraud? of course not. there is no end of trouble this side of paradise. i hate to tell you. if you wake up and every problem is solved, you are dead. if you think the number one problem facing this country is climate change we have a real problem. you are right. absolutely right. >> i can't tell you how many times i woke up --
10:00 pm
>> man. two more weeks, next debate, not that i'm counting the days. yeah. all right. that's it for us. in fact, if you missed the debate earlier this evening you can see it in its entirety right now. see you later. good evening from hofstra university in hempstead, new york. i'm lester holt, anchor of "nbc nightly news" and i want to welcome you to the first presidential debate. the participants tonight are donald trump and hillary clinton. this debate is sponsored by the commission on president's debates, a non-partisan, nonprofit organization. the commission drafted tonight's format and the rules agreed to by the campaigns. the 90-minute debate is divided into six segments. each 15 minutes long. we'll explore three topic areas tonight, achieving prosperity, america's direction, and securing america.
10:01 pm
at the start of he's each segment i will ask the same leadoff question to both candidates and each has up to two minutes to respond. from that point until the end of the segment we'll have an open discussion. the questions are mine, and have not been shared with the commission or the campaigns. the audience here in the room has agreed to remain silent so that we can focus on what the candidates are saying. i will invite you to applaud, however, at this moment as we welcome the candidates. democratic nominee for president of the united states, hillary clinton, and republican nominee for president of the united states, donald j. trump. [ cheers and applause ] >> how are ya, donald? >> good luck to you. >> thank you. [ applause ] well, i don't expect us to
10:02 pm
cover all the issues of this campaign tonight but remind everyone there are two more presidential debates scheduled. we are going to focus on many of the issues that voters tell us are most important, and we're going to press for specifics. i am honored to have this role but this evening belongs to the candidates, and just as important to the american people. candidates, we look forward to hearing you articulate your policies and positions as well as your visions and your values. so let's begin. we're calling this opening segment achieving prosperity. and central to that is jobs. there are two economic realities in america today. there's been a record six straight years of job growth and new census numbers shows income increased at a record rate after years of stagnation. however, income inequality remains significant and nearly half of americans are living paycheck to paycheck. beginning with you, secretary of state clinton, why are you a better choice than your opponent to create the kinds of jobs that will put more money into the
10:03 pm
pockets of american workers? >> well, thank you, lester and thanks to hofstra for hosting us. the central question in this election is really, what kind of country we want to be and what kind of future we'll build together. today is my granddaughter's second birthday. so i think about this a lot. first, we have to build an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top. that means we need new jobs, good jobs, with rising incomes. i want us to invest in you. i want us to invest in your future. that means jobs in infrastructure, and advanced manufacturing. innovation and technology, clean renewable energy, and small business, because most of the new jobs will come from small business. we also have to make the economy fairer. that starts with raising the national minimum wage, and, also, guarantees, finally, equal pay for women's work. i also want to see more
10:04 pm
companies do profit sharing. if you help create the profits, you should be able to share in them, not just the executives at the top. and i want us to do more to support people who are struggling to balance family and work. i've heard from so many of you about the difficult choices you face and the stresses that you're under. so let's have paid family leave, earned sick days, let's be sure we have affordable child care and debt-free college. how are we going do it? by having the wealthy pay they're fair share and close the corporate loopholes. finally, we, tonight, are on the stage together, donald trump and i. donald, it's going to be with you. we're going to have a debate where we are talking about the important issues facing our country. you have to judge us. who can shoulder the immense, awesome responsibilities of the presidency. who can put into action the plans that will make your life better?
10:05 pm
i hope that i will be able to earn your vote on november 8th. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. trump, the same question to you. it's about putting money, more money into the pockets of american workers. you have up to two minutes. >> thank you, lester. our jobs are fleeing the country. they're going to mexico, they're going to many other countries. you look at what china is doing to our country in terms of making our product, they're devaluing their currency and there's nobody in our government to fight them, and we have a very good fight and we have a winning fight, because they're using our country as a piggy bank to rebuild china and many other countries are doing the same thing. so we're losing our good jobs. so many of them. when you look at what's happening in mexico, a friend of mine who builds plants said it's the eighth wonder of the world, building some of the biggest, best, sophisticated plants.
10:06 pm
with the united states, as you said, not so much. so ford is leaving. you see that. their small car division leaving. thousands of jobs leaving michigan, leaving ohio, they're all leaving and we can't allow it to happen. as far as child care and so many other things, hillary and i agree on that. we probably disagree as far as numbers and amounts and what we're going to do, but perhaps we'll talk about that later, but we have to stop our jobs from being stolen from us. we have to stop our companies from leaving the united states, and with it firing all of their people. all you have to do is take a look at carrier air conditioning, in indianapolis. they left, fired 1,400 people. they're going to mexico. so many hundreds and hundreds of companies are doing this. we cannot let it happen. under my plan, i will be reducing taxes tremendously, from 35% to 15% for companies. small and big businesses.
10:07 pm
that's going to be a job creator like we haven't seen since ronald reagan. it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch. companies will come. they will build. they will expand. new companies will start and i look very, very much forward to doing it. we have to renegotiate or trade deals and stop these countries from stealing our companies and our jobs. >> secretary clinton, would you like to respond? >> well, i think that trade is an important issue, of course, we are 5% of the world's population and have to trade with the other 95%, and we need to have smart, fair trade deals. we also, though, need to have a tax system that rewards work and not just financial transactions. and the kind of plan that donald has put forth would be trickle down economics all over again. in fact it would be the most extreme version, the biggest tax cuts for the top percents of the people in this country than we've ever had. i call it trumped up trickle
10:08 pm
down. because that's exactly what it would be. that is not how we grow the economy. we just have a different view about what's best for growing the economy. how we make investments that will actually produce jobs and rising incomes. i think we come at it from somewhat different perspectives. i understand that. you know, donald was very fortunate in his life, and that's all to his benefit. he started his business with $14 million, borrowed from his father, and he really believes that the more you help wealthy people, the better off we'll be, and that everything will work out from there. i don't buy that. i have a different experience. my father was a small businessman. he worked really hard. he printed drapery fabrics on long tables where he pulled out those fabrics and went down with a silk screen and dumped the paint in and took the squeegee and kept going. so what i believe is the more we can do for the middle class, the more we can invest in you, your education, your skills, your
10:09 pm
future, the better we will be off, and the better we'll grow. that's the kind of economy i want us to see again. >> let me follow-up with mr. trump if i can. you talked about creating 25 million jobs and promised to bring back millions of jobs for americans. how are we going to bring back the industries that have left this country for cheaper labor overseas? how specifically are you going to tell american manufacturers that you have to come back? >> well, for one thing, and before we start on that, my father gave me a very small loan in 1975 and i built it in a company worth many, many billions of dollars worth some of the greatest assets in the world. i say that, because that's the kind of thinking our country need. we're in deep trouble. we don't know what we're doing when it comes to devaluations. especially china, they're the best ever at it. what they're doing to us is a very, very sad thing. so we have to do that. we have to renegotiate our trade deals, and, lester, they're
10:10 pm
taking our jobs, giving incentives, doing things frankly we don't do. let me give you the example of mexico they have a vat tax -- we are on a different system. when we sell into mexico there's a tax. when they sell in, automatic 16% approximately. when they sell into us, there's no tax. it's a defective agreement. it's been defective for a long time. many years. but the politicians haven't done anything about it. in all fairness to secretary clinton, yes, is that okay? good. i want you to be very happy. it's very important to me. but in all fairness to secretary clinton, when she started talking about this, it was really very recently. she's been doing this for 30 years, and why hasn't she made the agreements better? the nafta agreement is defective, just because of the tax and many other reasons but just because of the tax -- >> let me interrupt you a second. >> secretary clinton and others politicians should have doing this for years. not just because we've create add movement. what's happened to our jobs, our country and economy generally is -- look, we owe $20 trillion.
10:11 pm
we cannot do it any longer, lester. >> back to the question, though, how do you bring back, specifically bring back jobs? american manufacturers, how do you make them bring the jobs back? >> first thing, don't let the jobs leave. the companies are leaving. i could name -- i mean, there are thousands of them. they're leaving and they're leaving in bigger numbers than ever. and what you do, say, fine. you want to go to mexico, another country, good luck. we wish you a lot of luck. if you think you're going to make your air conditioners cars, cookies whatever you make, and bring them into our country without a tax, you're wrong. and once you say you're going to have to tax them coming in, and our politicians never do this, because they have special interests and the special interests want those companies to leave, because in many cases they own the companies. so what i am saying is, we can stop them from leaving.
10:12 pm
we have to stop them from leaving, and that's a big, big factor. >> one second, mrs. clinton. >> stop a second and remember where we were eight years ago. we had the worst financial crisis, great recession, the worst since the 1930s. that was in large part because of tax policies that slashed taxes on the wealthy, failed to invest in the middle class, took their eyes off of wall street, and created a perfect storm. in fact, donald was one of the people who rooted for the housing crisis. he said, back in 2006, gee, i hope it does collapse, because, then i can go in and buy some and make some money. well it did collapse. >> that's called, business, by the way. >> 9 million people -- 9 million people lost their jobs. 5 million people lost their homes and $13 trillion in family wealth was wiped out. now, we have come back from that abyss, and it has not been easy. so we're now on the precipice of
10:13 pm
having a potentially much better economy, but the last thing we need to do is to go back to the policies that failed us in the first place. independent experts have looked at what i've proposed and looked at what donald's proposed, and basically they've said this -- that if his tax plan, which would blow up the debt by over $5 trillion, and would in some instances disadvantage middle class families compared to the wealthy, were to go into effect, we would lose 3.5 million jobs, and maybe have another recession. they've looked at my plans and they've said, okay. if we can do this, and i intend to get it done, we will have 10 million more new jobs. because we will be making investments where we can grow the economy. take clean energy. some country is going to be the clean energy superpower of the
10:14 pm
21st century. donald thinks that climate change is a hoax, perpetrated by the chinese. i think it's real. >> i did not -- i do not say that. >> and i think it's important that we. >> i do not say that. >> -- it's important to grip this and deal with it both at home and abroad. we can de employ half a billion more solar panels. have enough clean energy to power every home, build a new electric grid. that's a lot of jobs and economic activity. i've tried to be very specific about what we can and should do, and i am determined we're going to get the economy really moving again. building on the progress we've made over the last eight years but never going back to what got us in trouble in the first place. >> mr. trump? >> she talks about solar panels. we invested in a solar company, our country. that was a disaster. they lost plenty of money on that one. now, look, i'm a great believer in all forms of energy. but we're putting a lot of people out of work, our energy
10:15 pm
policies are a disaster. our country is losing so much in terms of energy, in terms of paying off our debt. you can't do what you're looking to do with $20 trillion in debt. the obama administration from the time they've come in is over 230 years worth of debt, and he's topped it. he's doubled it in a course of almost eight years, 7.5 years to be semi-exact. i'll tell you this, we have to do a better job at keeping our jobs and incentives to get new economies to expand. they're not doing it. look at michigan, look at ohio and all of these places where so many of their, of their jobs and their companies are just leaving. they're gone. and hillary i would just ask you this -- you've been doing this for 30 years. why are you just thinking about these solutions right now?
10:16 pm
for 30 years you've been doing it, and now you're just starting to think of solutions. >> well, actually that's -- >> excuse me. i will bring back jobs. you can't bring back jobs. >> actually, i have thought about this quite a bit. >> yeah, for 30 years. >> and i have -- well, not quite that long. i think my husband did a pretty good job in the 1990s. i think a lot about what worked and how we can work it again. >> he approved nafta, which is the single worst trade deal in this country. >> incomes went up for everybody. manufacturing jobs went up in the 1990s if we actually look at the facts. when i was in the senate i had a number of trade deals that came before me and i held them all to the same test. will they create jobs in america? will they raise incomes in america? and are they good for our national security? some of them i voted for. the biggest once, a multi-national one known at cafta, i voted against, and because i hold the same standards as i look at all of these trade deals, but let's not
10:17 pm
assume that trade is the only challenge we have in the economy. i think it is a part of it, and i've said what i'm going to do. i'm going to have a special prosecutor. we're going to enforce the trade deals we have, and we're going to hold people accountable. when i was secretary of state, we actually increased american exports globally 30%. we increased them to china 50%. so i know how to really work to get new jobs and to get exports that help to create more new jobs. >> you haven't done it in 30 years or 26 years, any number you -- >> i've been a senator and i have been a secretary of state. >> excuse me. your husband signed nafta, one of the worst things that ever happened. >> that's your opinion. that is your opinion. >> you go to new england, ohio, pennsylvania, you go anywhere you want, secretary clinton, and you will see devastation, where manufacturer is down 30, 40, sometimes 50%.
10:18 pm
nafta is the worst trade deal maybe ever signed everywhere certainly ever signed in this country and now you want to approve trans-pacific partnership. totally in favor of it, heard what i was saying, how bad it is, can't win that debate, but you know if you did win you would approve that, and that will be almost as bad as nafta. nothing will ever top nafta. >> that is just not accurate. i was against it once it was finally negotiated, and the terms were laid out. i wrote about that in -- >> you called it the gold standard. you called it the gold standard of trade deals. you said it's the finest deal you've ever seen. >> no. >> and then you heard what i said about it, all of a sudden you were against it. >> donald, i know you live in your own reality but that is not the fact. the facts are i hoped it would be a good deal, but when negotiated it was not responsible, i concluded it wasn't. i wrote about that. >> so is it president obama's fault?
10:19 pm
is it president obama's fault? >> -- before you even announced. >> secretary, is it president obama's fault? >> there are different -- >> because he's pushing it. >> there are different views about what's good for our country, our economy, and our leadership in the world. and i think it's important to look at what we need to do to get the economy going again. that's why i said, new jobs with rising incomes, investments. not in more tax cuts that would add $5 trillion to the debt. >> but you have no plan. >> ed -- oh, i do. >> secretary, you have no plan. >> i have written a book about it called "stronger together" pick it tomorrow at the book store. or at an airport near you. >> that's al all you did. >> we're going to move to -- >> it's because i see this, we need to have strong growth, fair growth, sustained growth. we also have to look at how we help families balance the responsibilities at home and the responsibilities at business. so we have a very robust set of plans and people have looked at both of our plans, have concluded that mine would create
10:20 pm
10 million jobs and yours would lose us 3.5 million jobs and -- >> you are going to approve one of the biggest tax cuts in history. you are going to approve one of the biggest tax increases in history. you are going to drive business out. your regulations are a disaster and you're going to increase regulations all over the place. by the way, my tax cut is the biggest since ronald reagan. i'm very proud of it. it will create tremendous numbers of new jobs, but regulations, you are going to regulate these businesses out of existence. when i go around, lester, i tell you this. i've been all over, and when i go around, despite the tax cut, the things that businesses and people like the most is the fact that i'm cutting regulation. you have regulations on top of regulations, and new companies cannot form and old companies are going out of business, and you want to increase the regulations and make them even
10:21 pm
worse. i'm going to cut regulations. but i'm going to cut taxes big league and you're going to raise taxes big league, end of story. >> let me get you to pause there. we're going to move into the next segment. >> that can't be left to stand. >> 30 seconds and then we're going on. >> i assumed there will be a lot of charges and claims, facts. >> and so we have taken the home page of my website, hillaryclinton.com and turned it into a fact checker. if you want to see in realtime what the facts are, please go and take a look, because -- >> and take a look at mine also and you'll see. >> we have not added a penny to the debt and your plans would add $5 trillion to the debt. what i have prosed would cut regulations and streamline them for small businesses. what i have proposed would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy, because they have made all the gains in the economy, and i think it's time that the wealthy and corporations paid their fair share to support this country. >> you just opened the next
10:22 pm
segment. >> can i finish? i think i should -- go to our website and look at her website. she's going to raise taxes, $1.3 trillion. >> mr. trump -- >> look at her website. it's no different than this. she's telling us how to fight isis. just go to her website. tells you how to fight isis on her website. i don't think general douglas macarthur would like that too much. the next segment. >> at least i have a plan to fight isis. >> no, no. you're telling the enemy everything you want to do. >> no, we're not. >> see, you're telling the enemy everything you want to do -- >> folks -- >> no wonder you've been fighting isis your entire adult life. >> folks -- >> that's a -- go to the -- please, the fact checkers. get to work. >> you are unpacking a lot and still on the issue of achieving prosperity and i want to talk about taxes. the fundamental difference between the two of you, concerns the wealthy. secretary clinton, your calling for a tax increase in the wealthiest americans.
10:23 pm
i'd like you to further defend that and mr. trump, calling for tax cuts for the wealthy. i'd like you to defend that, and this next two-minute answer goes to you, mr. trump. >> i'm really calling for major jobs, because the wealthy are going to create tremendous jobs. they're going to expand their companies, they're going to do a tremendous job. i'm getting rid of the carried interest provision. if you really look, it's really not a great thing for the wealthy. it's a great thing for the middle class. it's a great thing for companies to expand. and when these people are going to put billions and billions of dollars into companies, and when they're going to bring $2.5 trillion back from overseas where they can't bring the money back, because politicians like secretary clinton won't allow them to bring the money back, because the taxes are so onerous and the bureaucratic red tape. so what is so bad -- what they're doing is leaving our country and they're, believe it or not, leaving because taxes are too high and some of them have lots of money outside of our country and instead of bringing it back and putting the money to work because they can't work out a deal, and everybody
10:24 pm
agrees it should be brought back, instead of that they're leaving our country to get their money. because they can't bring their money back into our country, because of bureaucratic red tape, because they can't get together, because we have a president that can't sit them around a table and get them to approve something, and here's the thing. republicans and democrats agree that this should be done. $2.5 trillion. i happen to think it's double that. it's probably $5 trillion that we can't bring into our country, lester, and with a little leadership, you'd get it in here very quickly, and it could be put to use on the inner cities and lots of other things, and it would be beautiful. but we have no leadership. and honestly, that starts with secretary clinton. >> all right. two minutes on the same question to defend tax increases on the wealthiest americans, secretary clinton. >> i have a feeling by the end of this evening i'm going to be blamed for everything that's ever happened. >> why not? >> yeah. why not. just -- just join the debate by
10:25 pm
saying more crazy things. now, let me say -- >> there's nothing crazy -- about not letting our companies bring their money back into their country. >> this is secretary clinton's two minutes. please. >> yes. >> well, let's start the clock again, lester. we've looked at your tax proposals. i don't see changes in the corporate tax rates, or the kinds of proposals you're referring to that would cause a repatriation, bringing back of money that's stranded overseas. i happen to support that then you didn't read. >> they i happen to support that in a way that will actually work to our benefit, but when i look at what you have proposed, you have what is called now the trump loophole, because it would so advantage you, and the business you do. you've proposed -- >> who gave it that name? first -- >> excuse me, this is secretary clinton's question. >> tax benefits for your family, and when you look --
10:26 pm
>> how much for my family? lester, how much? >> as i said, trumped up, trickle down. trickle down did not work. it got us into the mess we were in in 2008 and '09. slashing taxes on the wealthy hasn't worked, and a lot of really smart, wealthy people know that. and they are saying, hey, we need to do more to make the contributions we should be making to rebuild the middle class. i don't think top-down works in america. i think building the middle class investing in the middle class, making college debt-free so more young people can get they are education. helping people refinance their -- their debt from college at a lower rate. those are the kinds of things that will really boost the economy. broad based inclusive growth is what we need in america. not more advantages for people at the very top. >> mr. trump -- >> typical politician. all talk, no action.
10:27 pm
sounds good. doesn't work. never going to happen. our country is suffering, because people like secretary clinton have made such bad decisions in terms of our jobs and in terms of what's going on. now, look, we have the worst revival of an economy since the great depression. and believe me, we're in a bubble right now, and the only thing that looks good is the stock market, but if you raise interest rates even a little bit that's going to come crashing down. we are in a big, fat, ugly bubble. and we better be awfully careful, and we have a fed that's doing political things. this janet yellen of the fed. the fed is doing political, by keeping the interest rates at this level, and believe me, the day obama goes off and he leaves and goes out to the golf course for the rest of his life to play golf, when they raise interest rates, you're going to see some very bad things happen, because the fed is not doing their job. the fed is being more political
10:28 pm
than secretary clinton. >> mr. trump, we're talking about the burden that americans have to pay yet you have not released your tax returns, and the reason nominees have released their returns for decades, is that voters will know if they're potential president owes money to, who he owes it to, and any business conflicts. don't americans have a right to know if there are any conflicts of interest? >> i don't mind releasing. i'm under a routine audit and it will be released, and as soon as the audit's finished it will be released but you will learn more about donald trump by going down to the federal elections where i filed a 104-page, essentially financial statement of sorts, the forms that they have. it shows income. in fact, the income, i just looked today. the income is filed at $694 million for this past year. $694 million. if you would have told me i would make that 15 or 20 years ago i would have been very surprised. that's the thinking our country needs.
10:29 pm
when we have a country doing so badly, ripped off by every single country in the world, it's the kind of thinking that our country needs, because everybody, lester, we have a trade deficit with all of the countries that we do business with of almost $800 billion a year. you know what that is? that means who's negotiating these trade deals? we have people that are political hacks negotiating our trade deals. >> the irs says an audit of your taxes -- you're perfectly free to release your taxes during an audit. the question, does the public have a right to know outweigh your personal -- >> i told you. i will release them as soon as it's audit, look, i've been under audit almost 15 years. i know a lot of wealthy people never audited. do you get audited? i get audited every year. in a way i should be complaining. i don't mind it. almost a way of life. i get audited by the irs. other people don't. i will say this.
10:30 pm
we have a situation in this country that has to be taken care of. i will release my tax returns against my lawyers' wishes when she releases her 33,000 e-mails that have been deleted. as soon as she releases them, i will release -- i will release my tax returns and that's against my lawyers, they say, don't do it. i will tell you this. in fact, watching shows, reading the papers, almost every lawyer says, you don't release your returns until the audit's complete. when the audit's complete i will do it, but i would go against them if she released her e-mails. >> so it's negotiable? >> no, it's not negotiable. when she releases -- why did she delete 33,000 e-mails? >> we asked you to be silent. it would be helpful for us, secretary clinton? >> you've just seen another example of bait and switch here. for 40 years everyone running
10:31 pm
for president has released their tax returns. you can go and see nearly i think 30, 40 years of our tax returns but everyone has done it. we know the irs has made clear there is no prohibition on releasing it when under audit. you've got to ask yourself, why won't he release his tax returns? and i think there may be a couple of reasons. first, maybe he's not as rich as he says he is. second, maybe he's not as charitable as he claims to be. third, we don't know all of his business dealings, but we have been told through investigative reporting that he owes about $650 million to wall street and foreign banks. or maybe he doesn't want the american people all of you watching tonight to know that he's paid nothing in federal taxes, because the only a years that anybody's ever seen were a couple of years when he had to
10:32 pm
turn them over to state authorities when he was trying to get a casino license and they showed he didn't pay any federal income tax. >> that makes me smart. >> if he paid zero, that means zero for troops, zero for vets. zero for schools or health, and i think probably he's not all that enthusiastic about having the rest of our country see what the real reasons are, because it must be something really important, even terrible, that he's trying to hide. and the financial disclosure statement, they don't give you the tax rate. they don't give you all the details that tax returns would, and it just seems to me that this is something that the american people deserve to see, and i have no reason to believe that he's ever going to release his tax returns, because there's something he's hiding, and we'll guess, keep guessing as what it might be that he's hiding, but i think the question is, were he ever to get near the white house, what would be those
10:33 pm
conflicts? who does he owe money to? well, he owes you the answers to that and he should provide them. >> he also raised the issue of your e-mails. do you want to respond to that? >> i do. you know, i made a mistake using a private e-mail. >> that's for sure. >> and if i had to do it over again i would obviously do it differently. but i'm not going to make excuses. it was a mistake and i take responsibility for that. >> mr. trump? >> that was more than a mistake. that was done purposely. okay? that was moss a mistake. that was done purposely. when you have your staff taking the fifth amendment, taking the fifth, so they're not prosecuted, when you have the man that set up the illegal server taking the fifth, i think it's disgraceful and believe me, this country thinks it's disgrace -- really thinks it's disgraceful also. as far as my tax returns you don't learn that much from tax returns.
10:34 pm
that i can tell you. you learn a lot from financial disclosure and you should go down and take a look at that. the other thing, i'm extremely underleveraged. the report that said $650, which by the way a lot of friends of mine that know my business said, boy, that's really not a lot of money. it's not a lot of money relative to what i had. the buildings in question they said in the same report, which was actually not even a bad story but the buildings worth $3.59 billion and the $650 isn't even on that, but it's not $650. it's muff less than that, but i could give you a list of banks. if that helps you. i would give you a list of banks, fine institutions, fine banks i could do that quickly. i am very underleveraged, from a great company, a tremendous income. the reason i say that is not in a braggadocious way, it's because it's about time that this country had somebody running it that has an idea about money. when we have $20 trillion in debt and our country's a mess. one thing to have $s 20 trillion
10:35 pm
in debt, our roads are good, airports, they're like from a third world country. you look at laguardia, kennedy, l.a.x., newark, and come in from dubai, qatar and see incredible -- from china, you see incredible airports, and you land, we have become a third world country. so the worst of all things this happened. we owe $20 trillion and we're a mess. we haven't even started. and we've spent $6 trillion in the middle east, according to a report that i just saw. whether it's $6 trillion or $5 trillion. it looks like it's $6 trillion. in the middle east we could have rebuilt our country twice. and the politicians like secretary clinton that have caused this problem. our country has tremendous problems. we're a debtor nation, we're a serious debtor nation, and we have a country that needs new roads, new tunnels, new bridges, new airports, new schools, new
10:36 pm
hospitals. and we don't have the money, because it's been squandered on so many of your ideas. >> and maybe because you haven't paid any federal income tax for a lot of years, and -- the other thing i think is important -- >> it could be squandered, too. believe me. >> if your main claim to be president of the united states is your business, then i think we should talk about that. you know, your campaign manager said that you built a lot of businesses on the backs of little guys. and, indeed, i have met a lot of the people who were stiffed by you and your businesses, donald. i have met dishwashers, painters, architects, glass installers, marble installers, drapery installers like my dad was, who you refused to pay when
10:37 pm
they finished the work that you asked them to do. we have an architect in the audience who designed one of your clubhouses at one of your golf courses. it's a beautiful facility. it immediately was put to use, and you wouldn't pay what the man needed to be paid what he was charging you -- >> maybe he didn't do a good job and i was unsatisfied with his work? which our country should do, too. >> for the thousands of people that you have stiffed over the course of your business, not, do they not deserve some kind of apology from someone who has taken their labor, taken the goods that they've produced and then refused to pay them? i can only say that i'm certainly relieved that my late father never did business with you. he provided a good middle class life for us, but the people he worked for, he expected the bargain to be kept on both sides. and when we talk about your business, you've taken business bankruptcy six times. there are a lot of great business people that have never
10:38 pm
taken bankruptcy once. you call yourself the king of debt. you talk about leverage. you even at one time suggested that you had tried to negotiate down the -- >> wrong. >> national debt of the united states. >> wrong. >> well, sometimes there's not a direct transfer of skills from business to government, but sometimes what happened in business would be really bad for government. >> mr. trump -- >> i think it's -- i do think it's time. >> we want to be very clear about that. >> look, it's all words and sound bytes. i built an unbelievable company. some of the greatest assets anywhere in the world, real estate assets anywhere in the world beyond the united states. in europe, lots of different places. it's an unbelievable company. but on occasion, four times, we used certain laws that are there, and when secretary clinton talks about people that didn't get paid, first of all, they did get paid a lot, but taking advantage of the laws of
10:39 pm
the nation. if you want to change the laws, you've been there a long time, change the laws, but i take advantage of the laws of the nation. i'm running a company. my obligation now, do well for myself, my family, my companies, my employees and that's what i do. what she doesn't say is the tens of thousands of people that are unbelievably happy and that love me. give you an example. we're just opening up on pennsylvania avenue right next to the white house. so if i don't get there one way, i'm going to get to pennsylvania avenue another. but we're opening the old post office. under budget, ahead of schedule. saved tremendous money. i'm a year ahead of schedule. and that's what this country should be doing. we build roads and they cost two and three and four times what they're supposed to court. we buy products to our military and they come in at costs so far above what they were supposed to
10:40 pm
be, because we don't have people that know what they're doing. when we look at the budget, the budget is bad to a large extent because we have people that have no idea as to what to do and how to buy. the trump international is way under budget and way ahead of schedule, and we should be able to do that for our country. >> well, we're well behind schedule. i want to move to our next segment. we move into our next segment talking about america's direction. let's start by talking about race. the share of americans who say race relations are bad in this country is the highest its been in decades. much of it amplified by shootings of african-americans by police as we've seen recently in charlotte and tulsa. race has been a big issue in this campaign and one of you is going to have to bridge a very wide and bitter gap. how do you heal the divide? secretary clinton, two minutes on this. >> you're right. race remains a significant challenge in our country.
10:41 pm
unfortunately race still determines too much. often determines where people live, determines what kind of education in their public schools they can get, and, yes, it determines how they're treated in the criminal justice system. we have just seen those two tragic examples in both tulsa and charlotte. and we've got to do several things at the same time. we have to restore trust between communities and the police. we have to work to make sure that our police are using the best training, the best techniques, that they are well prepared to use force only when necessary. everyone should be respected by the law, and everyone should respect the law. right now that's not the case in a lot of our neighborhoods. so i have, ever since the first day of my campaign, called for
10:42 pm
criminal justice reform. i've laid out a platform that i think would begin to remedy some of the problems we have in the criminal justice system. but we also have to recognize in addition to the challenges that we face with policing, there are so many good, brave police officers who equally want reform. so we have to bring communities together in order to begin working on that, as a mutual goal. and we've got to get guns out of the hands of people who should not have them the gun epidemic is the leading cause of death of young african-american men. more than the next nine causes put together. so we have to do two things, as i said. we have to restore trust. we have to work with the police. we have to make sure they respect the communities, and the communities respect them, and we have to tackle the plague of gun violence, which is a big contributor to a lot of the problems that we're seeing today.
10:43 pm
>> all right. mr. trump, two minutes, how do you heal the divide? >> first of all, secretary clinton doesn't want to use a couple of words. and that's law and order. and we need law and order. if we don't have it, we're not going to have a country. and when i look at what's going on in charlotte, a city i love, a city i have investments, when i look what's going on throughout various parts of our country, whether it's -- i mean, i can keep naming them all day long. we need law and order in our country. and i just got today the, as you know, the endorsement of the fraternal order of police just came in. we have endorsements i think from i think every police group a large percentage of them in the united states. we have a situation where we have our inner cities, african-american, hispanics, are living in hell, because it's so dangerous. you walk down the street, you
10:44 pm
get shot. in chicago, they've had thousands of shootings, thousands, since january 1st. thousands of shootings. and i say, where is this? is this a war-torn country? what are we doing? we have to stop the violence, we have to bring back law and order. in place like chicago where thousands of people have been killed. thousands, over the last number of years. in fact, almost 4,000 since president obama became president. almost 4,000 people in chicago have been killed. we have to bring back law and order. now, whether or not in a place like chicago you do stop and frisk, which worked very well, mayor giuliani is here, worked very well in new york. it brought the crime rate way down, but you take the gun way from criminals that shouldn't be having it. we have gangs roaming the street. in many cases they're illegally here. illegal immigrants, and they have guns and they shoot people and we have to be very strong
10:45 pm
and we have to be very vigilant. we have to know what we're doing. right now our police in many cases are afraid to do anything. we have to protect our inner cities, because african-american communities are being decimated -- >> you're two minutes expired but i want to follow-up stop and frisk ruled unconstitutional in new york, because it largely singled out black and hispanic young men -- >> no. you're wrong. it went before -- a judge who was a very, against police judge. it was taken away from her, and our mayor, our new mayor, refused to go forward with the case. they would have won on appeal. look at it throughout the country, many places -- >> the argument, it's a form of racial profiling. >> no. the argument we have to take the guns a way from the people that have them and that are bad people that shouldn't have them. these are felons, people that are bad people that shouldn't
10:46 pm
be -- when you have 3,000 shootings in chicago, from january 1st, when you have 4,000 people killed, in chicago, by guns, from the beginning of the presidency of barack obama, his hometown, you have to have, stop and frisk. you need more police. you need a better community -- you know, relation. you don't have good community relations in chicago. it's terrible. i have property there. it's terrible what's going on in chicago, but when you look -- and chicago's not the only. go to ferguson, so many different places. you need better relationships. i agree with secretary clinton on this. you need better relationships between the communities and the police, because in some cases it's not good. but you look at dallas, where the relationships were really studied. the relationships are really a beautiful thing, and then five police officers were killed. one night, very violently. so there's some bad things going
10:47 pm
on. some really bad things. >> secretary clinton -- >> lester, we need law and order and we need law and order in the inner cities, because the people that are most affected by what's happening are african-american and hispanic people, and it's very unfair to them what our politicians are allowing to happen. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i've heard donald say this at his rallies, and it's really unfortunate that he paid such a dire negative picture of black communities in our country. the vibrancy of the black church, the black businesses that employ so many people. the opportunities that so many families are working to provide for their kids. there's a lot that we should be proud of, and we should be supporting and lifting up. but we do, always, have to make sure we keep people safe.
10:48 pm
there are the right ways of doing it, and then there are ways that are ineffective. stop and frisk was found to be unconstitutional. and in part because it was ineffective. it did not do what it needed to do. now, i believe in community policing. and, in fact, violent crime is one-half of what it was in 1991. property crime is down 40%. we just don't want to see it creep back up. we've had 25 years of very good cooperation, but there were some problems, some unintended consequences. too many young african-american american and latino men ended up in jail for non-violent offenses, and it's just a fact that if you're a young african-american man, and do you the same thing as a young white man, you are more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted and incarcerated. so we've got to address the
10:49 pm
systemic racism in our criminal justice system. we cannot just say law and order. we have to say -- we have to come forward with a plan that is going to divert people from the criminal just is system, deal with mandatory minimum sentences which have put too many people away for too long for doing too little. we need to have more second-chance programs. i'm glad that we're ending private prisons in the federal system. i want to see them ended in the state system. you shouldn't have a profit motivation to fill prison cells with young americans. so there are some positive ways we can work on this, and i believe strongly that common sense gun safety measures would assist us. right now, and this is something donald has supported, along with the gun lobby, right now we've got too many military-style weapons on the streets in a lot of places our police are
10:50 pm
outgunned. we need comprehensive background checks. and we need to keep guns out of the hands of those who will do harm, and we finally need to pass a prohibition on anyone who's on the terrorist watch list from being able to buy a gun in our country. if you're too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to buy a gun. there are things we can do and we ought to do it in a bipartisan way. >> secretary clinton, last week you said we've got to do everything possible to improve policing to go right at implicit bias. do you believe police are implicitly biased against black people. >> i think implicit bias is a problem for everyone, not just police. i think too many of us in our great country jump to conclusions about each other. and therefore, i think we need all of us to be asking hard questions about, you know, why am i feeling this way?
10:51 pm
but when it comes to policing, since it can have literally fatal consequences, i have said in my first budget, we would put money into that budget to help us deal with implicit bias by retraining a lot of our police officers. i met with a drib group of very distinguished experienced police chiefs recently. they admit it is an issue. they have to the a lot of concerns. mental health are a big concerns because now police are having to deal with a lot of mental health problems ott street. they want support. they want more training. they want more assistance. i think the federal government could be in a position where we would offer and provide that. >> i would like to respond to that. >> please. >> first of all, i agree, and a lot of people even within my own party want to give certainlights rights to people on watch lists and no fly lists. i agree with you, when a person is on a watch list and a no fly list and i have the endorsement
10:52 pm
of the nra, these are very, very good people and they are protecting the second amendment. but i think we have to look strng stleeng at no fly lists and no watch lists, when people are will there, even if they shouldn't be on there. we will help them get off. but i agree with that strongly. you were the one that brought up the word super predator about young black youth. that's a term that it's been horribly met, as you know, i think you have apologized for it. but i think it was a terrible thing to say. and when it comes to stop and frisk, you know you are talking about taking guns away. i'm talking about taking guns away from people in gangs and people that abuse them. i don't think you disagree with me on this. i think maybe there is a political reason why you can't see it. but i don't believe -- in new york city stop and frisk we had 2200 murders and stop and risk brought it down to 500 murders.
10:53 pm
$500 is a lot of murders. hard to believe. like 500 is supposed to be good? but we went from 2200 to 500. and continued on by mayor bloomberg and terminated by our current mayor. but stop and frisk had a tremendous impact on the safety of new york city. tremendous beyond belief. when you say it has no impact. it did. it had a very, very big impact. >> well it's also fair to say if we are going to talk about mayors, that under the current mayor crime has continued to drop, including murders. >> you are wrong. >> no i'm not. >> murders are up. you check the it. >> new york has done an excellent job. and i give credit -- i give credit across the board going back two mayors, two police chiefs because it has worked. and other communities need to come together to do what will work as well. look, one murder is too many. but. >> true. >> but it is important that we learn about what has been
10:54 pm
effective and not go to things that sound good that really did not have the kind of impact that we would want. who disagrees with keeping neighborhoods safe? but let's also add, no one should disagree with respecting the rights of young men who live in those neighborhoods. and so we need to do a better job of working again with the communities, faith communities, business communities, as well as the police, to try to deal with this problem. >> this conversation is about race. mr. trump i have to ask you -- >> i'd like to respond. >> 20 seconds. please spend respond and then i have got to follow up. >> look. the african-american community has been let down by your politicians. they talk good around election time, like right now. and after the election they said see you later i'll see you in four years. the african-american community -- look, the community within the inner cities has been so badly treated, they have been
10:55 pm
abused and used in order to get votes by democrat politicians because that's what it is. they have controlled these communities for up to 100 years. >> mr. trump -- >> unbroken. and i will tell you, you look at the inner cities -- and i just left detroit, and i just left philadelphia. you know, you've seen me. i've been all over the place. you decided to stay home and that's okay. but i will tell you i've been all over. and i have met some of the greatest people i'll ever meet win these communities. and they are very, very upset with what their politicians have told them and what their politicians have done. >> mr. trump -- >> i think -- i think donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. and yes, i did. and you know what else i prepared for? i prepared to be president. and i think that's a good thing. >> mr. trump, for five years you perpetuated a false that the
10:56 pm
nation's first black president was not a natural born citizen. you questioned his legitimacy n. last couple of weeks you acknowledged what most americans accepted for years, that the president was born in the united states can you tell us -- >> simple to say. sydney blemen that will works for the campaign and very close friend of secretary clinton. and her campaign manager, patty doi doyle, went during her campaign, her campaign against president obama, fought very hard. and you can look it up and checket out. if you look at cnn this past week, patty sole as doyle was on wolf blitzer saying that this happened. bloom enall this sent mclatchy, highly respected reporter at mclatchy to kenya to find out about it. they were pressing it very hard. she failed to get the birth certificate. when i got involved, i didn't
10:57 pm
fail. i dot him to give the birth certificate. so i'm satisfied with it. i want to get on to creating jobs. >> because i want to get on to having a strong border. because i want to get on to things that are very important to me. and that are very important to the country. >> i will let you respond it's important but i want to get the answer here. the birth certificate was produced in 2011. you continued to tell the story and question the president's legitimacy in 2012, 13, 14, sarks as rene as january. so the question is what changed your mind? >> nobody was pressing it, nobody was caring much about it. i figured you would ask the question tonight of course. but no one was caring much about it. but i was the one that got him to produce the birth certificate. i think i did a good job. secretary clinton also fought it. now everybody in the mainstream
10:58 pm
is going cy say that's not true. sydney bloomenthal sent a reporter. look at cnn last wee, the interview with your former campaign manager. >> and she was involved. but just like she can't bring back jobs she want produce. >> i'm going to follow up, i will let you respond to that. there is a lot there. we are talking about racial healing in this segment. what do you say to americans of color -- >> i say nothing because i was able to get him to produce it. he should have produced it a long time before. i say nothing. when you talk about healing. i think i've developed very good relationships over the last little while with the african-american community. i think you can see that. and i feel that they really wanted me to come to that conclusion. and i think a did a great job and a great service not only for the country but even for the president in getting him to produce his birth certificate. >> secretary clinton? >> just listen to what you he d
10:59 pm
heard. and clearly, as donald just admitted, he knew he was going to stand on this debate same and lester holt was going to be asking us questions. so he tried to put the whole racist birther lie to bed. but it can be dismissed that easily: he has really started his political activity based on this racist lie that our first black president was not an american citizen. there was absolutely no evidence for it, but he persisted. he persisted year after year because some of his supporters, people that he was trying to bring into his fold, apparently believed it or wanted to believe it. but, remember, done -- donald started his career back in 1973 being sued by the justice department for racial discrimination because he would
11:00 pm
not rent apartments in one of his developments to african-americans. and he made sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy. he actually was sued twice by the justice department. so he has a long record of engaging in racist behavior. and the birther lie was a very hurtful one. you know, barack obama is a man of great dignity. and i could tell how much it bothered him and annoyed him that this was being touted and used against him. but i like to remember what michele obama said in her amazing speech at our democratic national convention. when they go low, we go high. and barack obama went high, despite donald trump's best efforts to bring him down. >> mr. trump, you can respond and then we are going to move on

114 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on