Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  September 29, 2016 8:00pm-9:01pm PDT

8:00 pm
i we worked with pg&eof to save energy because wenie. wanted to help the school. they would put these signs on the door to let the teacher know you didn't cut off the light. the teachers, they would call us the energy patrol. so they would be like, here they come, turn off your lights! those three young ladies were teaching the whole school about energy efficiency. we actually saved $50,000. and that's just one school, two semesters, three girls. together, we're building a better california. how low can you go? donald trump hichnts he'll make hillary clinton's marriage part of the debate, but his own marriages are the stuff of
8:01 pm
tabloid legend. this is cnn i'm don lemon, but is all this fair game? meanwhile, new questions about donald trump's foundation, plus unhappy returns, we are still haven't seen his accident tas b seen his taxes but is donald trump's bottom line shrinking and did he try to break the law by trying to do business in cuba? here's hillary clinton. >> he has misled people in responding to questions about whether he was attempting to do business in cuba. >> let's get right to cnn politics executive editor mr. mark preston with the very latest. he's got a lot breaking tonight, so this is from howard stern steeling his list ste telling his listeners donald trump did support the iraq war. >> it always comes up because trump was on our show years ago and said, yeah, he -- he was kind of for the iraq war, us going into iraq. >> yeah. >> he was saying he wasn't for
8:02 pm
it so they were forced to mention my name. >> yeah. >> it was cool. good promotion. >> now let's listen to the original interview on stern in 2002. >> were you for invading iraq? >> yeah, i guess so. you know, i wish it was -- i wish the first time it was done correctly. >> okay. so then do you think this is going to matter to his supporters or have they made up their minds? >> it's certainly not going to matter to donald trump's supporters. we had the audio, we just haven't heard stern talk a lot about it. this was in response they were talking on a show after the debate the next morning. what's interesting about stern is him and donald trump had been very friendly over the years and donald trump would spend a lot of time on his shows. howard stern said he is going to vote for hillary clinton, has said that for a long time, but has still been very kind to donald trump. stern's got a huge audience. he's got a very big audience who might not be totally tuned into everything that's going on with this presidential election.
8:03 pm
it's interesting they've heard it from his lips. >> does it make a difference in undecided people who haven't made up there mind? >> donald trump's gotten away with a lot of lies and who knows, but it certainly doesn't help. >> yeah. so mark, donald trump is out in a new interview tonight, talking to paul steinhouser, the political director of new hampshire's nh 1. i want to play some clips and we'll discuss them. >> reporter: you were asked about the birther question and you said you were proud of what you did, you did a service to the president and to the country, so you stand by those comments? you're proud of what you did? >> i'm the one that got him to put up his birth certificate. hillary clinton tried to get there and you look at her campaign and everybody knows it happened and i would say that pretty much everybody agrees with me, but she tried and she was unable to do it and i tried i was able to do it. so i'm very proud of that. >> what's the truth behind that? >> well, a lot of unpacking on
8:04 pm
this one. there's no evidence that hillary clinton or her campaign engaged in any effort to try to discredit barack obama on the issue of birtherism and whether he was born in the united states. what is true, is that donald trump was the leading voice or one of the leading voices on the issue of birtherism and in fact he's been very vocal about that. there have been some accusations that those -- a few people close to hillary clinton, sindy dney blumenthal being one of them. he's denied it and there's way to prove it was true. >> there's this question, a very personal one that came up at the debate, listen. >> reporter: you depositiidn't bill clinton and his past affairs. you may do in the second debate? >> she was very nasty to me. i saw chelsea sitting in the audience and i didn't want to go there. i thought it would be too disrespectful. she was very nasty. we'll see what happens. i just didn't want to put it
8:05 pm
there. it's a hard thing to say in front of somebody's daughter. >> if it does come you've in the next debate, do you think your past mart ailital histories fai game? >> i guess they can do. a lot different than his, i'll tell you. we have a situation where we have a president who was a disaster and he was ultimately impeached in a sense for lying so we'll see whether or not we discuss it. >> you're not worried about your past history at all? >> not at all. i have a very good history. >> he said it was a disaster and he was impeached. this is what he told wolf blitzer. >> look at the trouble bill clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant and they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense, and yet bush got us into this horrible war with lies by lying, by saying they had weapons of mass destruction, by saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true. >> so, was it -- does he support
8:06 pm
bill clinton or does he not? in the first one he didn't, in the second one, he did. >> the difference now is he's running for president against bill clinton's wife. before that clip, he talked about not mentioning it -- the whole episode on the debate stage. >> the fact of the matter is, he did allude to it on the debate stage and then there after he spoke about itto at least , so my book hea has addressed it an put the issue on the table. when we're talking about a marital in iffidelity, he was married three times and had a very high profile extramarital affair that made headlines in the new york tabs. at a time where you think we'd be discussing the economy and trade, we'd be discussing isil, all of these major issues, we are heading into the gutter at a very, very fast rate. >> well, and we could be talking about those issues but i think that is -- wasn't this not the
8:07 pm
strategy of the trump people? he won't talk about it, but by making the innuendo, the media would discuss it, therefore it would get out there and that's exactly what's happening. >>y in question. and he's done this since he started running, but i would even go a step further. it's not evinnuendo. the fact you bring it up afterwards, the fact you walk off the debate stage and said i'm not going to go there, where i grew up that means you've gone there. we'll see what he does in the next debate, but the fact of the matter is, the issue is front and center. >> thank you, mark, i appreciate it. donald trump hints he might bring up hillary clinton's marriage in the next debate as mark just said, about what about his own mart aital history? >> reporter: donald trump first tied the nknot to a former mode, and they started a family, having three kids, donald junior, iva, this ka anka, and
8:08 pm
allegations trump was cheating with marla maples. >> the relationship started with marla when he was still married happily to ivana. >> that love triangle leading to some uncomfortable moments for the still-married couple. run-ins between ivana and marla, and awkward denials of a budding relationship while one was coming to an end. >> are you two back together? >> we are right now, aren't we? we're just going to sort of try and keep that quiet for a bit. we're here for a football game. >> we're great friends. >> trump's 15-year marriage to ivana ended in a dramatic and high profile divorce with a $14 million settlement for his former wife. >> he was married to ivana, all right, like a lot of guys you fell out of love, true? >> depositions made claims about marital rape stemming from an incident between them in 19 i don't know, allegations which
8:09 pm
trump has denied and ivana softened saying she did not want her charge to be criminal in the sense. >> it was world war three. it was on front page, back page, inside covers, inside stories. >> despite all the attention surrounding the breakup of the marriage, trump boasted about his life. >> my was so great in so many ways, the business was so great in so many ways. even the concept of a beautiful girlfriend, beautiful wife, beautiful everything, life was just a bowl of cherries. >> and in 1993, after his divorce was finalized, trump married marla maples at the plaza hotel in new york city. their daughter, tiffany, had been born two months before. details of their prenup revealing trump had his lawyer include a sunset agreement, a provision that states if they were married for a certain
8:10 pm
amount of time, marla would get a fixed amount of money. >> i felt so bad, somebody gets married and it doesn't work out you get a million dollars. a million dollars is a lot of money. they diversed after six years, after returning to bachelor hood, donald trump's own words paint a picture of a playboy. >> why do people say you could have gotten lady di? >> he went on to marry his third and current wife, model melania, in 2005 and had trump's fifth child, baron, one year later. it is by all accounts a happy marriage, but it's all that came before that might now be fair game. cnn bears. >> new questions about donald trump's charitable foundations and his business dealings in cuba. ere plaque psoriasis, isn't it time to let the real you shine through? introducing otezla (apremilast).
8:11 pm
otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you. now's the time to get your ducks in a row.ng 65... [quack!] medicare only covers about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you.
8:12 pm
so think about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like any standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. so don't wait. call now to request your free decision guide and learn more.
8:13 pm
8:14 pm
there's new allegations about donald trump's charitable foundations, and whether he broke the law in cuba. we have daily beast columnist david k. johnson, author of "the making of donald trump," and assisting editor of forbes. i want to talk about this, david, the story and the questions that's being raised from david farenhold, in order
8:15 pm
to solicit money from the public. what's going on? >> new york state like california, the city of loss g angeles and other places says if you're raising money you have to get a permit to do so because scam artists could raise money. the threshold is $25,000 and trump brought in several millions of dollars into the foundation without registering and this is by my count the ninth illegal act of the trump quote/unquote charitable foundation. the new york state attorney general as guardian of charitable authority has considerable authority to act, and the irs should begin revocation proceedings in its ch charitable status. >> you say this raises questions about how he's been running his organization. >> and he's been paying legal settlements to buy two
8:16 pm
paintings, one of the two hangs in the trump properties and to make a campaign contribution, which is actually verbboten. you may not include charitable organizations in partisan campaigns. >> curt, i want to put this cover up because you're reporting that trump's company violated the u.s. trade embargo with cuba during fidel castro's presidency back in 1998. tell us what you found. >> well that trump's company, trump hotels and casino reports, was having a lot of financial trouble and there were rumblings the cuban embargo might come down or might be lucid, and his company sent off a third-party who was basically a stalking horse to meet with governors and business people to get a foot in the door in cuba, which is completely illegal. you need to get a license.
8:17 pm
they didn't do it. you had to have government approval, they didn't do it and you needed an outside sponsor, normally a charity, so it's a humanitarian effort, they just did it and spent $68,000. you're not allowed to spend a time in cuba and they violated the american embargo against cuba. it's flat-out crime. >> but i have to play this because his campaign manager, kellyanne conway is pushing back. >> read the entire story it. starts out with the screaming headlines, he did business in cuba, and he decided not to invest there. >> are you denying that his company spent any money in cuba? >> do you think they paid money as i understand from the story in they paid money in 1998, and did he spend money? he's very critical of could you be a and the way he gave a
8:18 pm
speech the very next year to the cuban foundation in miami, critical of those who want to do business with castro and he's talked about the cuban embargo even on this, but he's talking about did his hotel invest money in 1998 in cuba? no. >> what's your reaction, curt and. >> that's like listening to a lawyer stand up and say my client is guilty? >> she just confessed. when she said they spent money in 1998, that's the issue, it's not whether they built a hotel, it's not whether they had a casino. it's whether they spent money in cuba and whether they spent money for business purposes, that's exactly what they did, donald trump doing business does not mean building a tower. he has meetings. he has banking arrangements. he has all the rest of the stuff that goes into business. this trip was a business trip. she just confessed that money
8:19 pm
was spent and apparently doesn't understand the law because she just implicated donald trump in a crime. >> i see you shaking your heads. >> the issue is you were not allowed to spend a penny in castro's cuba unless had you a clearance very very limit clearance, very limited purposes like human aide. >> kellyanne conway is admitting to a crime and backing up his story, what does it mean? >> it means it's jet another example of donald trump engaging in illegal conduct where he's not following the law. >> she would say she's not. >> curtis is exactly right. this was absolutely illegal and the more curt keeps sbiging into t digging into the international things he's going to find out about the behavior by donald trump. >> there's one other quick point to be made, which is seven months after that check was cut, for the trip to cuba, donald trump started his first presidential campaign running for the reformed party
8:20 pm
nomination. and he start today in front of cuban americans in miami rjs stood up, and lied. he told them i'll never put money in cuba, and the money goes to fidel castro's pocket and he's a murderer, and while he's standing there, he knows that he just put money in cuba, that he just put money in the murderer's pocket by his own definition. >> kerry, i want to get to you. forbes, your marsha zeen gazine $800 million. what do you think caused that drop? >> a lot of it is in the value of new york real estate. so he's got about a little bit more than half of his fortune is in new york real estate, and some of it he can't control. some of it is just values dropping in the buildings that he owns. some of it is poor performance. the net operating income, the money that trump tower brought in, dropped 20% since we looked last year, so some of it he can
8:21 pm
control, some of it he can't. >> so here's what mark cuban tweeted, kerry. he said if donald trump loses this election i'm betting he personally goes bankrupt within seven years, that's how toxic his brand is now or now is he says. any indication his drop in welt welt wealth is related to his presidential run? >> no, as far as what most of what we have dug up is relate tangentially because we got more information from his holdings because of the file with the federal election commission. it helped us lower his net work because we got information we weren't have otherwise. in terms of the brand showering, no, not yet, nothing there. >> there's plenty of evidence the brand is souring. the pga moved it to mexico. that was putting their finger in trump's eye. hotel rates were much cheaper
8:22 pm
than comparable hotels because a lot of corporations now won't have meetings in trump hotels because they're concerned it will upset their employees and i think mark cuban's right. he's damaged his brand and i'm not sure he can recover and his audience he's built, his large new audience they can't afford trump luxury. >> and i would add there to that poicht th point i was talking to a prominent venture capitalist, about whether anyone from his firm would want to stay in a hotel and he didn't think anybody would want to. i think you're right. >> kerry, david, curt, i appreciate you thank you very much. when we come back will the questions about donald trump's business practices cost his votes in november? clicking around... the lowest prices on our hotels are always at hilton.com. so pay less and get more only at hilton.com.
8:23 pm
upgrade your phone system and learn how you could save at vonage.com/business
8:24 pm
farm fresh ingredients, step-by-step recipes, delivered to your door for less than $9 a meal. get $30 off your first delivery blueapron.com/cook.
8:25 pm
8:26 pm
here to discuss donald trump's business dealings in cuba, democratic strategyist, maria car ddona, and scottie ne hughes, political editor at right alerts.com who is also a donald trump supporter. thank you for joining us this evening. john, to you, your reaction occurred this morning? >> these allegations come from a
8:27 pm
long time ago. if these alleged practices made him such a ppariah, i don't thi hillary clinton would have gone to his wedding or taken his money it. brandishes his money and identifies as a businessman. i was reading a piece that george mccoverm wrote in the ball street journal after he left the senate, and opened up a hotel in the northeast that went bankrupt, he said he wished he was a businessman before he went into government, so he could learn how to government policies and regulations affect business. >> okay. >> i think it helps trump. >> your you laughing and. >> because it's clear that every trump supporter has gotten to the bottom of the barrel on the talking points, trying to defend the indefensible, not just because of his business practices. we saw kellyanne conway admitted he spent money in cuba. that is patently illegal.
8:28 pm
was back then. and so that coupled with the whole miss universe debacle, it really shows just how temperamentally unfit this sort of shoot-from-the hip, loose-lipped -- what he has done is completely indefensible. he's not fit to be commander in chief. >> 500 subsidiaries have trump's name on them. less than 1% have gone bankrupt, that's a pretty good number right there. not many businesses -- >> we're talking about curt eikenhof's reporting. >> he's created more than 32,000 jobs. >> we're talking about spend know mospending money in cuba. >> that might be concerning. more concerning would be our president down the road at a baseball game all cuddled up next to him while brussels was being attacked in cuba.
8:29 pm
those sorts of things appeal more to the american public. >> bottom of the barrel. >> your work is so hard. every single day, donald trump does something -- i couldn't do it. i couldn't following out how to try to justify these -- what kind of pig goes up to an 18-year-old girl and basically says, honey, you're really looking fat, you're kind of porking -- this is disgusting behavior. >> let's stick -- i want to stick to the reporting. we'll get to the other stuff. so, scotty, we have also been discussing tonight the "washington post" david farenthold, trump's foundation never obtained the certification that is required before soliciting money from the public. what's your reaction to that? >> this is coming from a very biased attorney general. other attorneys have looked at it and not found a problem. >> the attorney general did not uncover this issue.
8:30 pm
it was the reporter who uncovered it. the attorney general wouldn't comment on it. >> we are 39 days out. everything that's coming out right now has to be put in the category of politically motivated and twisted just to have a short headline to continue demonizing mr. trump and the truth later on doesn't matter whether it was true or not. let just get it out there and throw everything at the wall and demonize this man and as the poe polls get tighter you're going to see very little truth to these allegations. >> i'm not an attorney to deals with these sorts of things but he wasn't selling access through the state department through his foundation. >> but he did -- there were -- >> he was -- >> a couple million dollars that he gave to veterans and -- >> he was commit ago actually he was committing actual illegal acts through his foundation, paying an attorney general in florida -- >> then why isn't the obama administration going after him? why isn't he in jail? >> they actually gave him -- the irs slapped him with a penalty. >> this was just uncovered by the way. >> and $258,000 was paid from
8:31 pm
his foundation for his personal lawsuits, all right -- >> if he's such a skoucoundril,y did hillary clinton go to his wedding? >> and we found out his foundation is undocumented. >> hillary clinton went to his wedding. i didn't think he thought very highly of hillary clinton to begin with, but the fact hillary clinton went to the guy's wedding doesn't mean he didn't violate the law. it doesn't mean he didn't take his foucndation money people gae for fill an topic purposes and buy portraits of himself. hillary clinton going to a wedding doesn't wash that away. >> 125 counts of taking the fifth, or people getting immunity to cover for the foundation. it's really interesting that -- >> come on, scottie, you know it's a pivot. >> it isn't. it rightfully needs to be said. you're going to after these things which the details -- we're throwing things again the
8:32 pm
wall. but how many trump people have had to take immunity? >> this is reporting and we've discussed the foundation and the e-mails. you've had your are say aboutsa. this is a new read from the "washington post" that we're discussing so now you want to pivot back to another old issue, but go on. >> it's called an investigative report. >> and that's right, it's investigative, it's ongoing. we don't know both sides to the story right now so we're going to go on and report he's done something illegal when that's not actually factually been proven in a court of law yet. last tileme i checked this is america. we're innocent until proven guilty, but we don't care about that. >> if that's true, scottie, then you cannot say one other thing about hillary clinton because she's not been -- nothing has come out in the court of law against her, so if you believe what you actually just said you cannot say one additional bad thing about hillary clinton. >> then why is everybody taking immunity from -- getting immunity granted to them by the attorney general in the judicial system right now? >> you can't say anything because nothing has come out in the court of law.
8:33 pm
>> because they all get immunity. >> one at a time. >> peter, and then john, go ahead. >> look, what we have here is -- is reporters actually investigating donald trump's past business practices and it's remarkable because there was a lot of discussion about the clinton foundation, a lot of reporting about the clinton foundation, a lot of -- the same institutions have looked into it. they haven't found people gave money to the clinton foundation got anything more than perhaps a meeting they might not have otherwise gotten. >> center access. >> that is wrong. >> they haven't found someone started an ambassador ship m we found peop , and when the trump foundation we found out it was essentially legal, and he was taking money and spending it on portraitings of himse of himself. >> i want your response, john.
8:34 pm
usa's editorial board wrote, in part, whether through indifference or ignorance, trump betrayed fundamental commitments made by all presidents since the end of world war ii in you'd cl include unwavering support for allies and the absolutely certainty the united states will make good ones debt. he's expressed troubling admiration for leaders, and scant regard for constitutional protections. what's your reaction? >> i think this is more evidence they're seriously worried he's doing well in the polls and could theoretically win this thing. i mean in the last 20 minutes we've heard from mark cuban saying that he's a horrible businessman, we've heard he's been doing this business with cuba, we've heard his foundations's a big crock. i think that they're throwing whatever they can at the wall because they are -- they realize that his numbers are going up and that he has a pretty good shot at winning this thing. >> who is they? >> usa today, now they're part
8:35 pm
of the clinton campaign, too? >> yeah, a liberal newspaper. >> a single newspaper -- every single reporter, editorial board, columnist -- >> and who did the "washington post" endorse? >> -- who doesn't support trump -- >> what about the newspapers that have never -- that have never endorsed democrats in -- >> the people knew. >> we have editorial boards that have not endorsed a is democrat in a century that said they can't support donald trump. >> and he's doing better in the polls than last time around. >> doing better in the polls doesn't make a statement about your morality, throughout history. >> but the media does? >> he drove the getaway car and you're talking about morality? >> it's remarkable, he's supposed to be against -- >> make your point. i'm going to have to interrupt you real quick. >> there are things called truth and ethics and they don't realize on how you're doing in the polls.
8:36 pm
>> and the clinton campaign has a surrogate that was the get away driver that threatened a judge. that's great morality. >> see, desperation. desperation. >> and we're done. >> i'm laughing at the media. >> yeah, thank you. thank you. everybody's out to get everybody. that's what it sounds like. we're going to talk about millenni millennial, african-americans, undecid undecides, a undecid undecide undecideds, next.
8:37 pm
justice is spelled b-o-x.hero, say hello to a powerful tool that gives you options to fit your budget. ♪ oh, i'm tied to this chair! ♪ dun-dun-daaaa! i don't know that an insurance-themed comic book is what we're looking for. did i mention he can save people nearly $600? you haven't even heard my catchphrase. i'm all done with this guy. box him up. that's terrible. a john deere 1 family tractor there nevwith quik-parkt? lets you attach and go. imatch quick-hitch gives you more time for what you love,
8:38 pm
so it takes less work to do more work. autoconnect drive-over mower deck? done. they're not making any more land. but there's plenty of time if you know where to look. now you can own a 1e sub-compact tractor for just $99 a month. learn more at your john deere dealer. this clean was like - pow.ything well? it felt like i had just gone to the dentist. it just kind of like, wiped everything clean. my teeth are glowing. they look great. they are so white. crest hd 6x cleaning. 6x whitening. and at two weeks, superior sensitivity relief to the leading sensitivity toothpaste. i actually really like the two steps! crest hd step 1 cleans, step 2 whitens. it's the whole package. no one's done this. crest - healthy, beautiful smiles for life.
8:39 pm
8:40 pm
. donald trump's message to african-americans and the after condition american community does not seem to have won him a whole lot of support. joining us senior vice president of content and brand for interactive one, and stacey washington, the host of the stacey on the right radio show. good to have both of you on. thank you so much. >> thank you. >> so here's donald trump talking about inner cities at the debate. >> our inner cities, african-americans, hispanics, are living in hell because it's so dangerous. you walk down the street and you get shot. in chicago, they've had thousands of shootings,
8:41 pm
thousands, since january 1st. thousands of shootings. and i'm saying where is this in is this a war-torn country? what are we doing? >> i know you have a lot to say about this, what's your reaction? >> first of all, to pretend that donald trump, at this point, has any real vested interest in the well-being of african-americans, i think is a waste of anyone's time. i'd be curious to hear anyone's argument that could support that based on any facts. at this point, we are pretty clear as a community that we're not going to allow his narrative to define our decision-making when it comes to this election. >> do you think americans are living in hello? >> i've been black a long time and i'm not living in hello except for the hel well, that donald trump donald trump is creating. the hell we're creating today has a lot to do with how vile this person is against communities like mine. >> donald trump has had many opportunities to fix his tone
8:42 pm
and strategy when it comes to black americans, instead he says blacks are living in hello, and brags about stop-and-frisk and brags about forcing president obama to show his birth certifica certificate. >> first of all he has been involved in inner-city politics as far as a private citizen. there's so many photos of him with rainbow push coalition, and alsharpton, and jesse jackson. >> but how has he done involved? what organizations besides pictures? >> i just named them. rainbow push. he was working with leaders in the black community and new york city overall all of those yeard giving money to their causes and to address about what you said about the outreach what is he supposed to do? he's outlining problems facing inner city blacks. he never said all blacks were living in poverty. he was talking bother inner cities and huge crime. >> he said blacks are living in
8:43 pm
hell. are all blacks living in hell? i'm not. >> who is any presidential candidate to say how he's live something. >> i don't think any presidential candidate has made a statement like that. >> really? hillary clinton called us black predators, natural-born like we're animals. she said we needed to be brought to heal like dogs. >> ma'am, you're on national television defending donald trump. >> oh, please. >> and you're defending hillary clinton. >> i'm not necessarily defending hillary clinton. i'm defending -- >> okay. >> -- black people. i'm here on behalf of all african-americans. >> not all of them because you're not here on behalf of me and millions who don't support hillary clinton. >> if you can do math you know it's millions. >> let me get in here. he did not, stacey, in all fairness, he did not specify it was african-americans in urban areas. he said black people and you walked down the -- i've listened to it a number of times. i've discuss the it here a
8:44 pm
number number of times on television. it was not with specificity. >> at the debate, he didn't give a qualifier but at numerous rallies he's talked about inner city blacks and i've been listening to what he's saying because there's a lot to go through. he's said a ton about this top and i can i'topic and i've been listening to it. he has blacks on the campaign very well paid and he's worked with blacks over the course of his career in television and private business. so all blacks are not living in pof e pover poverty. mensi mincing words gets us away from the policies which is rampant city crime, water that's not fit to drink. >> systemic racism, mass incarseration, poor education.
8:45 pm
>> it's really unfortunate when -- when other african-americans tout this line that donald trump has kind of crafted in your lap. >> don't attack me. attack your candidate. >> i'm not attacking you. i'm saying generally speaking it's hurtful, i think -- and i'm speaking on behalf of masses of black people who are clearly not pro-donald trump for any number of reasons, not to mention the ridiculous birther issue that he had every opportunity to back up from to apologize for, and chose to do the exact opposite and you would dare represent him in a forum like this to suggest -- >> dare? i'm an manner citizen aamerican veteran. i have my right to my opinions i absolutely will not allow her to sit here andvil vilify me for whatationiwhat asian americans do, and others
8:46 pm
do which is choose a political platform. it's not fair for to you say i don't have the right to vote as i chose -- >> stacey, in the respect of time, let her respond. >> you have the complete right and i suggest you do what you do but you're not representative of most african-americans when you sit here and pretend that donald trump hasn't represented what appears to be one of the greatest threats to our community, to communities of color, to poor people, to women, to muslims, the list goes on. it's a fraud, and it's unfortunate. >> it's your opinion. >> it is. and many others that look just like both of us. >> thank you, both. i appreciate it. when we come back the 9-year-old girl who made an emotional plea after the fatal police shooting of keith scott in charlotte. isn't it time to let the real you shine through? introducing otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream.
8:47 pm
it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you.
8:49 pm
8:50 pm
the fatal police shooting of keith lamont scott sparked protests in north carolina and across the country and on monday a 9-year-old named zianna oliphant addressed the city council and made headlines around the world. >> just because of our color,
8:51 pm
doesn't mean anything to me. i believe that -- >> you're doing great. doing a great job. >> don't stop. >> do not stop. >> we are black people and shouldn't have to feel like this. protest because you all have treating us wrong. do this because we need to and have the right. >> go ahead. let her talk. go ahead. >> i've been born and raised in charlotte and never felt this way until now. and i don't like how we're
8:52 pm
treated. and -- it's a shame that our fathers and mothers are killed and we can't see them anymore. >> that's right. >> it's a shame that we have to go to the grave yard andbury them. we have tears and shouldn't have tears. we need our fathers and mothers to be by our side. >> oliphant joins me now along with her mother precious. thanks both for coming on. hi zianna. so glad you could be here. not going to get shy on me now i know because you showed such courage. what made you want to do that? >> because i knew -- i know that children would not do it.
8:53 pm
i'm like at first wasn't going to do it. then i took the courage and did it. got over it. ready to get on but rhett ready to get off at the same time. >> are you happy you did it. >> yes. >> why? >> because sometimes if i do something like that, makes me feel good. >> how have people reacted to your speech? >> well, it's like they are like -- like sometimes they'll either take my mom or something and say i love them so it's like would make them cry a little bit. tearful. >> so zianna, tell me what it's like in charlotte to see the protests and tension between the police and community and people out in the street and people, you know, just in an uproar. what has it been like?
8:54 pm
>> to me it's been like kind of hard for me to see it. because if i hear and see videos of people getting shot by the police, it's like -- well sometimes i want to cry but no i don't want to cry, just don't cry. but sometimes i want to because it's hurtful. >> you said her speech was unplanned. were you surprised she got up there in front of all those people and did that? >> i was surprised absolutely. but after she made her speech i was blown away. this is a topic that has been going, circulating for some time. i'm very open as far as communication with them, letting them know what is going on so they can be aware. >> what have people been saying to you about it? >> oh, man, received so many
8:55 pm
kind words and blessings. actually people reaching out to us from our community with gifts for zianna and that is the bright side of. it i've also had people say very negative things to me. however i chose not to feed into it because it will not make anything better. >> what are people saying? >> a lot of people are saying i'm exploiting my child, that i'm instilling hate into her heart, i'm giving her the only the negative perspective what is going on which really i just provide them with the facts and guide them in the right direction. >> zianna, do you think you're going to continue to go to meetings and speak off or you got this off your heart and you're fine now? >> well, i hope i can still go
8:56 pm
to meetings. going to continue to speak out and i just, yeah this is what i want to do. >> oh, to be nine years old again. thank you ziannazianna. >> thanks precious. >> thank you so much for having us. >> that's it for us tonight. thank you for watching. see you back here tomorrow. diabetes can be a daily struggle, even if you're trying your best. along with diet and exercise, once-daily toujeo® may help you control your blood sugar. get into a daily groove. ♪ let's groove tonight. ♪ share the spice of life. ♪ baby, from the makers of lantus®, ♪ slice it right. toujeo® provides blood sugar-lowering activity
8:57 pm
for 24 hours and beyond, ♪ we're gonna groove tonight. proven blood sugar control all day and all night, and significant a1c reduction. toujeo® is used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. it contains 3 times as much insulin in 1 milliliter as standard insulin. don't use toujeo® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar or if you're allergic to insulin. allergic reaction may occur and may be life threatening. don't reuse needles or share insulin pens, even if the needle has been changed. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which can be serious and life threatening. it may cause shaking, sweating, fast heartbeat, and blurred vision. check your blood sugar levels daily. injection site reactions may occur. don't change your dose of insulin without talking to your doctor. tell your doctor about all medicines you take and all your medical conditions. taking tzds with insulins, like toujeo®, may cause heart failure that can lead to death, even if you've never had heart failure before. don't dilute or mix toujeo® with other insulins or solutions as it may not work as intended and you may lose blood sugar control, which could be serious.
8:58 pm
find your rhythm and keep on grooving. ♪ let's groove tonight. ask your doctor about toujeo®. ♪share the spice of life. ♪♪
8:59 pm
- i was diagnosed with parin early 2013.lly it took awhile to sink in. we had to think a little more seriously about saving money for the future and for the kids. - the income of airbnb really helped to mitigate the stress. - but we have that flexibility of knowing that if you know things get worse, we have this to help keep us afloat. - so that's very, very important for us.
9:00 pm
>> and good evening. thanks for joining us. we begin with a new interview of donald trump in which he's asked about his own widely reported infidelities as he keeps bringing up the clinton's marriage. in a new interview hi seas he has a very good history in his marriages and he's very proud of his role in perpetuating the lie that president obama wasn't born in the united states. those are the highlights or lowlights, depending on your perspective. the interview today with paul steinhauser. in new hampshire, he joins me now. what was the headline for you? >> i think the headlines is donald trump is still convinced that he won the debate regardless of what recent polls have said and sticking by birtherism comments. take a listen. >> back in monday's debate going in a lot of people said hillary clinton was going to try to

215 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on