Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  October 3, 2016 11:00am-12:01pm PDT

11:00 am
fine print? i don't. and you get defrauded or mistreated and they say all of a sudden, you can't sue us. they're going to reign in that abuse. we also see a similar problem in some international trade agreements, like the transpacific partnership. it sets up a dispute resolution system that favors large corporations over everyone else. it's one of the reasons i'm against it. i've warned about this for years. i've written about it. and i oppose tpp now. i will oppose it after the election. i will oppose it as president because it is one-sided and unfair to american workers! and what about all those pharmaceutical companies that jack up prices for no reason? we're going to have to protect ourselves against that, too. and when we find unjustified
11:01 am
spices in t spikes in the price of long-standing life-saving drugs, we need to hold the companies accountable for people who need nose drugs. and let's, finally, import safe alternatives from other countries like canada and speed up approvals to get more generic drugs on the market. and it is long past time to allow medicare to negotiate for better prices for drugs and get the costs down for medicare recipients. and i believe we should cap the amount working families pay out of pocket every month for medicine. no one should ever have to choose between paying the rent and filling their prescriptions.
11:02 am
let's stand up for taxpayers, let's stand up for consumers and let's stand up for small businesses, which create most of the jobs in america. i take this personally because of my dad's very small business. we need fair rules of the road. so, big corporations can't use their power to gain unfair advantages. had it comes to bullying small businesses, donald trump is the poster boy. i have heard so many stories of contractors, and i've met some, too, who worked for him, produced the goods and services and never got paid for what they were owed. i'm talking about painters and plumbers, piano sellers, architect, glass installers. he stiffed them all. not because he couldn't pay them. but he wouldn't pay them. and he told them, you want to get your money, sue me.
11:03 am
my dad could never have done that. i'm just grateful my dad never got a contract with donald trump, because i don't know what we would have done. you know, more than 60% of small businesses face payment delays. that can cause a serious cash flow crisis. so, as president i will explore new ways to arm small businesses with the tools to fight back and level the playing field. part of the problem is large corporation are amazing so much power in our economy. sometimes it's called market concentration or even old-fashioned monopolies. either way, it threatens business of all sizes, including consumers. with less competition corporations request raise pow rz, cut wages for workers, crowd out start-ups and small businesses.
11:04 am
look what's happening right now. in most of the country, the three largest health insurance companies in each state control 80% of the market. no wonder premiums are going up. as president, i will appoint tough, independent authorities to strengthen anti-trust enforcement and really scrutinize mergers and acquisitions so the big don't keep getting bigger and bigger. i want every business -- i want every business to compete and thrive. then i also to want do something else. let's protect and empower workers who actually drive our economy. everyone to works hard should be able to share in the rewards. not just senior executives. so, we're proposing new tax credits to encourage more companies to share profits on top of, not instead of, higher wages.
11:05 am
>> you have been livening to hillary clinton speaking in toledo, ohio, blasting donald trump on his taxes. if you have not seen "the new york times" report, it's a huge, huge deal. they're reporting over the weekend that essentially the billionaire filed a business loss of $915,729,293, back in 1995 that possibly, possibly allowed trump to avoid paying federal income taxes for 18 years. cnn has not independently verified these documents which "new york times" reports it showed up in one of their mailbox mailboxes, snail mail. trump has not challenged them yet. let's go to jeff zeleny live in akron where secretary clinton will be speaking on later today. first, let's back to hillary clinton responding to this report from "the times" on
11:06 am
trump's taxes. what was the biggest line for you, jeff? >> reporter: well, brooke, you could hear secretary clinton devoting a big part of her speech today in ohio to this, to trying to make the case to some working class voters and others who, you know, are finding a lot of what they like in donald trump really trying to explain this and break this down in terms of what it might mean for them. if he was president. trying to make the case that he is not out for the little guy, he's not out to look after you. he's out for himself here. this is one of her challenges here in ohio. she's already behind donald trump significantly and has not been back to ohio for about a month. but, brooke, what a month -- what a day for her to come back to, to have this message to talk about here. let's take a listen to one piece of her speech where she talked about his casino businesses and how he could have lost all that money.
11:07 am
>> how anybody could lose a dollar let alone a billion dollars in the casino industry is kind of beyond me, right? it's just hard to figure. but as a result, it looks like he didn't pay a dime of federal income tax for almost two decades. while millions of american families, including mine and yours, were working hard, paying our fair share, it seems he was contributing nothing to our nation. imagine that not fair. >> reporter: and that's really interesting, at the end of that, talking about how not only the fact he was saving money by not paying federal taxes, if true, over those years, but the fact he wasn't contributing money to the military, to other programs here. so, that is what advisers to the clinton campaign is going to resonate here. that he wasn't contributing.
11:08 am
he wasn't doing his fair share here. we have not yet heard donald trump respond to this. he was speaking earlier to this, did not respond to this. boy, he's definitely going to have to. the campaign knows it will. he's also up on television with an advertisement about all of this. this is going to continue for some time, i believe, leading up to their second debate next sunday in st. louis. >> thank you so much in ohio. allegations are swirling that he may have avoided paying federal income taxes for nearly two decades. critics are also noting a batch of trump tweets from the past in which he rips people for how much they pay in taxes. could call it tax-shaming. quoting one -- this is back from 2012. he tweeted, barack obama, who wants to raise all our taxes, only pays 20.5% on $790,000 salary. let's have a bigger discussion. i have amy stoddard standing by,
11:09 am
cnn's senior political reporter, nia-malika henderson and christina aleshi. great to have you on here. nia, let me begin with you. jeff zeleny sort of ticked through how hillary clinton was responding. he's not paying his fair share. he's not -- you know, the reason why we pay taxes is for our military and schools. what do you make of that spin on it. >> it really is a continuation of line of argument she began in that first debate. it was effective then and it's much more effective now that they really have a smoking gun from this "new york times" report that came out this weekend. as jeff said, you'll see this in ads. what was so interesting about it, she is able to ground the tax story with regular people, right? on the one hand, she's arguing, listen, all these middle class folks have paid their pair share and donald trump hasn't. apparently, at least according to this story.
11:10 am
another argument i think is so powerful here is it gets to his business record. this idea that here he is framing himself as this very successful business person that's worth $10 billion. but listen, he almost almost $1 billion in the' 90s. that starts to chip away in the mind of some voters, particularly swing voters, whether he's as good as he says he is. that third argument being, look at all the people that donald trump hasn't paid, right? she talked about her own father being a working class guy and, you know, glad that her own father didn't work for donald trump. i think she's got a number of different arguments here. they're able in some ways able to paint donald trump in the way they were able to paint mitt romney in 2012 and they've got the smoking gun of this "new york times" and these tax documents to back up their argument. >> we'll wait to hear trump's response to hillary's response to trump f you're all with me.
11:11 am
the political ping pong. but we do know from reading "the new york times" piece over the weekend, trump's campaign response is they didn't challenge, they didn't confirm the $916 million in loss, but they're not really putting out surrogates today other than coming forward and saying this was genius. how should they be responding? >> if you've seen the trump foundation stories that "the new york times" did last year. >> we're getting there. >> about women and mistreatment of women. what donald trump does when there's a big investigative piece about him, "new york times," washington post, whatever, bash the reporters, say it was dishonest but never argue any facts or deny any allegations or ever ask for a correction. so, he never actually goes at the facts and disputes them. he just says, this was terrible. if he doesn't like it, he calls it dishonest. what they did yesterday was they sort of had a knee-jerk reaction where they wanted to say, maybe they didn't obtain the documents legally and they're fraudulent
11:12 am
but then sent out two top sure ga surrogates to say he's a genius and done legally. i don't think they really know how to respond. i thought trump was going to say something today and he took a pass. they're probably biding their time and figure out a better response. i think it will be more along the lines that he tweeted. i'm a great business man. i know how to work the system better than anyone and i'm the only one who can fix it. >> on the -- how the average voter, you know, is taking this in, this is my question to you, most people cannot even begin to wrap their head around nine figures, let alone losing nine figures in a year. yes, you know, he did not do anything illegal, from what i understand. i want you to explain to me how this kind of loss would mean trump wouldn't have to pay taxes for at least 15 years. >> well, there's a very simple answer and then a complicated answer. the simple answer is, frankly, the tax code favors the wealthy, particularly real estate developers.
11:13 am
if you want to go into it further, we're talking about with trump, a specific section of the tax code that deals with net operating losses. what is that? when you have a business that has more expenses than profits, the government allows you to take those losses and offset your future income with those losses. and the government does this because they want to encourage people, especially businessmen who are smart, to take krifks with their very own money. there's a good reason the government does this, but now tax experts are saying, look, do real estate developers have too much leeway in what they can call a loss? how big is the advantage for them and does it really square with the idea that the tax policy should be fair because most people look at this and say, hey, i can't take unlimited losses. there's a cap if i invest in a stock or a bond, i can't take unlimited losses on my overall
11:14 am
gross income. why should these investors be able to? there are arguments to be made on both sides. clearly this has average people scratching their heads for sure. >> exactly. also trump, as we point out a second ago, he likes to call out in the past folks maybe not paying their fair share of taxes. we mentioned the obama example he pointed out, only paying 20%, he's taken on romney. how is this not a tale of do as i say, not as a do? >> yeah, i mean you know, i mean, that's what it is. we've seen those shifts in position from donald trump even in the past. at some point he criticized romney for not releasing his taxes. now it seems like he's not going to release his taxes at this point. what's so clear from that speech today with hillary clinton is how much he was enjoying herself, right? she is happy to make this case, happy to prosecute donald trump on this issue. she's been waiting to do it for
11:15 am
many, many months now. and there she is when this race is tightening, at least it was for a while. she really, i think, has some wind at her back. we'll have to see how this plays out in the debate tomorrow, kaine and pence. how does pence respond, who did release his taxes. it's a real head-scratcher how they're able to deal with this, the trump campaign, saying he's a genius. if you look at the papers in some of these swing state newspapers, they have framed it on the front page as him saying he's a genius. listen, whether or not that flies, we'll have to see with the swing voters. >> thank you for bringing up kaine and pence, by the way, because no one is speak being them. we'll be in virginia tomorrow for this vice presidential debate no one seems to be talking about. does this pressure to release trump's tax returns, do you think it makes any bit of a difference for the voter out there still in a quandary?
11:16 am
>> no. i think undecided voters don't like trump or clinton. i think what's going to be important -- the swing vote n my opinion, in this election is people not voting for trump and doesn't like hillary. if she gets them off the couch and they vote for her, she wins. saying she wasn't loyal to her husband, it's the temperament issue and if they are so afraid of his temperament they overcome not liking clinton and vote for her, she can win. >> thank you so much. i appreciate it. coming up next here, more breaking news on cnn. including what we're hearing now from the a.g. in new york with regard to the clinton foundation. the cease and desist. how this affects trump. might he have to pay back the millions that were given to him and his foundation? we'll explore that coming up.
11:17 am
what? is he gone?? finally, i thought he'd never leave... tv character: why are you texting my man at 2 a.m.? no... if you want someone to leave you alone, you pretend like you're sleeping. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. tv character: taking selfies in the kitchen does not make you a model. hii'm here to tell homeowners that are sixty-two and older about a great way to live a better retirement... it's called a reverse mortgage. call right now to receive your free dvd and booklet with no obligation. it answers questions like... how a reverse mortgage works, how much you qualify for, the ways to receive your money... and more. plus, when you call now, you'll get this magnifier with led light absolutely free! when you call the experts at one reverse mortgage today, you'll learn the benefits of
11:18 am
a government-insured reverse mortgage. it will eliminate your monthly mortgage payments and give you tax-free cash from the equity in your home and here's the best part... you still own your home. take control of your retirement today!
11:19 am
i'm claudine and i quit smoking with chantix. by the time i was 30, i said "that's it, i'm a smoker for life." i wanted to be a non-smoker and i did it thanks to chantix. along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. chantix reduced my urge to smoke some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. some had seizures while taking chantix. if you have any of these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental health problems,
11:20 am
which could get worse or of seizures. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you have these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have heart or blood vessel problems, or develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. decrease alcohol use while taking chantix. use caution when driving or operating machinery. most common side effect is nausea. this is for real. i'm a non-smoker. ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. welcome back. you're watching cnn with brooke baldwin. we're all of 36 days from election day.
11:21 am
there are additional negative headlines for donald trump today. we have also just learned new york's attorney general is going after the trump foundation. the office just sent notice of violation that says trump's charity must cease soliciting contributions or engaging in any other fund-raising activities in new york. let's bring in drew griffin who's been looking into the foundation, and david, who's been on the forefront, from "the washington post." david, welcome back. drew, first to you, talking about the cease and desist, what does this specifically mean for trump and the foundation? >> what it means is trump has to get in line with new york state laws. apparently his organization was not registered with the charities bureau, has not lived up to the registration of the new york state charities bureau, which means you have to file annual financial reports,
11:22 am
audited financial statements. because of that i think while the attorney general's office continues to look into the trump foundation, it told them, look, if you're doing any fund-raising in the state of new york, we want you to stop until you're fully registered as all other charity organizations in new york are. it's basically trying to get them toll file the proper paperwork or they need to stop getting donations from new york state citizens. >> would it also potentially mean they would then have to pay back the millions in donations they accepted? >> that is unclear. what's also unclear is the millions. in is a very small foundation. they do have a couple big donors in new york. one ticket broker who gives about $500,000 a year. i don't see anything in the notice of violation sent to trump's attorney specifying they have to give back any money. they do need to notify any third-party groups or any professional fund-raisers to stop raising money. but i don't think that this
11:23 am
foundation, which is so small does anything like that. >> david, first to you, your reaction to this news from the a.g. in new york, and then also, because you've been so in the weeds on this, what are some of your biggest unanswered questions into the trump foundation? >> the reaction is daisht attorney general of new york is looking at a huge number of things involving the trump foundation but this was more clear-cut. there's an iron clad requirement that you have to get this sort of registration. this year trump set up a public website to gather donations from people around the country that raised more than $1 million. he was clearly in violation of the new york law. this was an easy case for the attorney general. as drew said, it's just the beginning of the investigation rather than the end. the unanswered questions i have, the main one has to do with how money came into the foundation. drew mentioned this ticket broker in new york city. we've heard -- we've been told this ticket broker donates to the trump foundation because he owes money to trump for business
11:24 am
deals. trump says, don't pay me, pay my foundation. can you do that, but trump has to pay income tax on that money. the question is whether he did. they haven't answered that yet. >> also, you look at the a.g., you look at eric schneiderman, something you here from the trump campaign. they point out he's a democrat, an open hillary clinton supporter. why -- wouldn't he risk his own credibility by doing this four weeks from the election? why not wait so there isn't a single bit of appearance of playing politics here? >> well, in this case, i think he reacted because we brourt it to him. i discovered this and brought it to him. i think he had to react to that. the timing of this particular cease and desist order is more related to what came into his office more than anything they decided to do on their own. it will be interesting to see what he does next. this is a complicated investigation. it's not the kind of thing i think attorney generals usually do in a few weeks. we'll see whether he does anything more on the trump foundation before election day
11:25 am
or whether this takes the normal timetable and lasts until long after the election. >> drew, back to you, on the certification, i think the 20,000 or 25,000 donations where you have to have this certification, didn't eric trump's foundation follow the rules on this? if so, why the disconnect? >> i think it's the difference between a well-run foundation and a poorly-run foundation. donald trump's foundation, which many have referred to as kind of a vanity foundation, has no staff. it's run pretty shoddy. as david has pointed out time and time again, there's either a lot of nefarious things going on or really stupid thins going on with how this foundation deals with its own money and pays out its own checks. it doesn't follow the rules. my argument would be, that's because there's no professional group running this particular foundation. eric's foundation is a totally different thing. he devotes much of his attention to that foundation, from what i
11:26 am
understand. >> the trump kam han has said all parties will cooperate with his investigation. drew griffin, thank you. david fahrenthold, thank you so much. forget about bringing up bill clinton's infidelity. without a lick of evidence. or fact. we'll discuss.
11:27 am
11:28 am
(♪) (♪) when you are suffering from chest congestion try mucinex 12-hour. mucinex is absorbed 60 percent faster than store brands. and lasts a full 12 hours.
11:29 am
relieve chest congestion with mucinex, and enjoy living well.
11:30 am
donald trump starting the week out with a widely criticized debate showing, and then this bombshell report that the presidential candidate may have avoided paying federal
11:31 am
income taxes for 18 years. and now this formal cease and desist from the trump foundation from new york's attorney general for operating without proper certification. kind of a bad week, but perhaps the most cringe-inducing moment came when donald trump opened this pandora's box. >> hillary clinton's only loyalty is to her financial contributors and to herself. i don't even think she's loyal to bill, if you want to know the truth. and really, folks, really, why should she be, right? >> donald trump supporter, former new york city mayor, rudy giuliani, doubling down. >> that was a sarcastic remark pointing out that bill clinton has, you know, quite a past and hillary clinton has done quite a job on attacking the people who are victims of bill clinton. not only that, she poses as a feminist and she's taken money
11:32 am
from countries that stone women, kill women -- >> bill clinton -- >> don't allow -- >> bill clinton's not the nominee. and this is my last question for you. is the trump campaign -- is donald trump and the people around donald trump really the ones to be casting dispersions on the marriages of anyone else? >> it isn't a marriage. it's the way she goes on the attack and tries to hurt victims of sexual prediadations. >> former senior adviser to george w. bush and worked in the last three administrations. with me, alice stewart, political commentator and republican strategist. alice, let's get to it. i don't think there's any disputing, you know, you're a trump supporter. trump had a bad week. do you agree with this strategy of going after the clintons' marriage? >> no, no. i'm a republican.
11:33 am
i'm going to vote for donald trump. but those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. let's just say this is topic all together across the board should be taken off the table. we should focus on the issues the voters are concerned with. donald trump has plenty of positive strong suits he can be discussing. he can be talking about how his -- his vision for economic future is better than hers. he can talk about his strong stance on immigration and how he plans to -- >> but why, then, is his inner circle, i mean, it's a bit of a fraternity, it's a lot of fellows, why are they not telling him that? how would you advise these men who are advising him? >> well, to my understanding, donald trump is going to do what donald trump is going to do. there's little talking him out of it. that's been quite clear and we have seen a change in course and temperament of the campaign since kellyanne conway came on board. she's done a phenomenal job. rumors the death of a flame-throwing trump are greatly exaggerated. at times when he feels as though
11:34 am
he has not had a great week, he'll bring up something unscripted and off the cuff, which is exactly what he's done. but, fortunately, they got him back on track today. they did a course correction. i think the meeting he had this morning with military leaders was phenomenal, talking about national security and what he can do to help clean up the va. it's time to get back on course. he'll be in colorado later today and arizona, where he can talk about immigration which is important, second amendment and work to get things back on course and reel in these independent voters he desperately needs. >> i hear your point. it could be heading in the right direction. on this other note, peter, i was reading my political playbook for the morning and they pointed out was glenn thrush and this note about googling. if you go to the googles and you type in, is trump trying to lose, do you know how many hits you get? 90 million. and from what i understand, you are wondering the exact same thing.
11:35 am
>> i don't know if he's trying to lose but he is losing. he's acting in a way that's incredibly self-destructing, self-incineration, self-sabotage. it's hard to make sense of, you know, any sanity from this approach. the bar is so low for the trump supporters, you get him one day without saying something insane and they consider that a victory. i suppose in a certain way it is, but this goes to the fundamental problem with trump and the trump campaign. which is the real problem is donald trump. it is that he has what is ump mystically called a temper problem. i think more is a disordered personality. he's volatile, unstable, he is vindictive, cruel and obsessive. he can't control himself. he can do it for a day, a couple days. they can chain him to a teleprompter. at the end, his personality
11:36 am
comes through. that is the thing that is so alarming. and this last week that he this is one of the worst weeks i've ever seen a presidential campaign have, from getting slaughtered in the debate by hillary clinton to "the new york times" story to his 3:20 a.m. twitter storm, ushlging his supporters to take a look at a sex videotape to statements that you were alluding to yesterday against hillary clinton. so, this is just a total miss. let me say one other thing. every campaign has bad moments and bad stories, but what he does is he makes it worse because of his unhinged responses to it. and there's no stopping it. >> i mean, you can't grab -- alice, i hear you on the event this morning. peter mentioned the 3:00 a.m. twitter es ska paid. you can't steal his phone out of his hands. ultimately, what do you do? >> you hire the person that worked for hillary clinton that
11:37 am
took a hammer to her phone and let them do the same thing to donald trump. here's when he gets in trouble, is when he's not on prompter and not on script or he has time to think and really speak his mind. and for his base, that is what's appealing to him. that's how he won the primary, much to a lot of folks' dismay. but he needs to get back on track and work to appeal to the independents and the undecideds out there because they're going to make the difference up in this election. he doesn't have enough of the base to win. neither does hillary. so, the key is to reach out to those that are independent and undecided. this negative course of attack is not the way to go. people are clearly concerned with national security and the economy. if he can stay focussed and fine-tuned on those issues, he'll be successful. it's just a matter of whether or not he can be disciplined for the next several weeks, which is imperative for him to win. >> on the focus and fine-tuning,
11:38 am
final note, peter, let me ask you, i'm curious how you would respond to this. we know the next debate is like a town hall forum, next weekend in st. louis. we understand chris christie, who's really excelled in these sorts of forums is apparently helping coach donald trump. what sort of advice do you think governor christie should be offering donald trump based on what we saw at hofstra university? >> i'd say, don't be donald trump, but that's impossible. >> ouch. >> i'll tell you what the problem is. given how trump is and what we've seen in the last week, he's going to want to settle scores. he's furious and enraged. that's very difficult to do in a debate. it's difficult to do in a town hall debate when you have citizens there. if he tries to pull that off, he's not only going to put his leg into a trap, he's going to put his neck into it. it's a very, very hard format to do. i expect he's going to continue to blow apart. he's been doing that now and again through this entire campaign. and it's accelerating.
11:39 am
and it's, frankly, unsettling to see a nominee of a major presidential party blow apart in public like this. but these are the times. >> peter and alice, thank you. st. louis next weekend. in the meantime, we're going to veer totally off politics and talk about kim kardashian. oh, yes. kim kardashian, she was robbed at gunpoint in paris. there is now a manhunt under way for these five masked men, who tied her up, locked her in her bathroom and took off with millions of dollars worth of jewelry. we'll actually talk to a former jewel thief about how this may have been planned. how do you actually sell $10 million worth of stolen jewelry anyway? we have that for you next. if you're going to make a statement... make sure it's an intelligent one. ♪ the highly advanced audi a4, with available virtual cockpit.
11:40 am
♪ ♪ jon batiste has mastered new ways to play old classics. with chase atms, he can master new ways to deposit checks too. easy to use chase technology for whatever you're trying to master. on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claims centers are available to assist you 24/7.
11:41 am
call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
11:42 am
11:43 am
11:44 am
kim kardashian is back in the u.s., she's okay but shaken after five masked men burst into her luxury paris apartment early this morning, robbed the reality tv star at gunpoint, tied her up, locked her in the bathroom with guns point to her head. police say these thieves got away on bicycles after stealing kim kardashian's jewelry valued, by the way, at more than $10 million. cnn's jim bittermann is there in paris. >> reporter: all this took place at about 3:00 this morning at this luxury apartment/hotel, discreet place, not known to many parisians, where stars come and wanting a safe house. it was not so safe for kim kardashian. the five robbers managed to overpower the con see age,
11:45 am
talked him into taking them up to kardashian's room, handcuffed her and stole ther jewelry worth an estimated $10 million. one thing that's happened since then is the mayor of paris has come out and said she condemns this assault. it's important she's out there because this comes on the heels of 18 months of terrorism and other kinds of attacks here in paris that call into question security and now something gravely in question that this could have happened in the center of paris overnight. jim bittermann, paris. >> thank you so much. by any standards, this is brazen heist and have a lot of people asking, how are these thieves able to gain access to a luxury paris apartment and then cycle way on bikes with $10 million worth of jewelry. let's put that question to jerry lauten, the president of reality check program. also with us, steve who was once
11:46 am
kim and kanye's body guard, a new york police department, now the owner of silver shield investigators. gentlemen, great to have both of you on. larry, to you first, you just heard jim etch out what we know on the robbery. what do you make of how it was clearly planned and executed? >> well, obviously, i think it's an inside job. they had to know when she was going to be into the -- in the apartment or where she was. that she had that kind of jewelry. that could have been done by the concierge. could have been done by doormen to airport workers. i think there's an inside element to it. the getaway, too. they said bicycles. the bicycles might have went two blocks and went into a van. after the van -- a van or truck and they're gone. usually a planned heist they split it up real quick. so there's more to the whole story, brooke. >> i never heard of bicycles. then again it's paris and a lot
11:47 am
of people hop on bicycles in small, charming streets and away you go. steven, on the body guard note, i mean, if you're rolling around and i have questions on even why one would have $10 million in jewels, but obviously she did. why wasn't the body guard by her side the entire time she had that kind of jewelry on her? apparently the body guard was out clubbing with some of the sisters. >> right. i think he was right on. i think it was an inside job due to that fact because the body guard -- the main body guard was sent to be with the other sisters. so the robbers, quote/unquote, were not that lucky to get into a locations that was a secret entrance and no security. you add that with snapchat, which is ridiculous to show all that jewelry on snapchat and not have a second security guard there who is armed and had police training is boggling to me. so, i think he was really right on that it is definitely an
11:48 am
inside job. >> steven, to the point on snapchat -- >> you know -- >> to the point of snapchat and social media, these girls, she's kardashians are known for being on twitter every 0.2 seconds and talking about their whereabouts and what they have, which is part of the allure, i suppose, but doesn't that also pose such a challenge for a body guard because you're basically broadcasting to the universe, hey, here's where i am every moment. >> absolutely. and i don't think there's anybody in her camp that has the ability securitywise that work for either of them, kim or kanye to say that's not the smartest thing to do. it's a criminal's paradise to know where they're going to be, what they're wearing, what time they're showing up, to me it's mind-boggling. when you do security, there's -- i've done other high-profile clients, a-list clients and they had their own way of doing things which i don't agree with, but that's the way they do it
11:49 am
and i saw this happening back in february. >> i want to show everyone what we're talking about. this diamond ring. i mean, this is the bling she was sporting in paris. it was paris fashion week. this is part of the treasure trove they apparently made away with. larry, you wanted to jump in? >> yes. the twitter and snapchat and social media is pretty much for an impulse steal. this is planned. this has a getaway, like you said, the bookstore, either a van or something, knowing where she was, that the guy was out of the play. this is a little bit more planned. also with jewelry, i try to get it through to people i have and people i talk to, it's so easy to put $10 million of jewelry in your pocket. i remember the $136 million robber we talked about -- >> i have $10 million in my pocket right now, $10 million in jewelry, so i get it. >> good for you. >> just kidding.
11:50 am
>> go ahead, larry. >> if you have that amount of money in jewelry, if you have that your pocket, it's one thing, but then how do you turn around and sell it if you have a $4.5 million ring and people are wondering, where did you get that diamond ring? >> that's what i was bringing up earlier in other conversations. fencing, a person who deals in stolen property, it seems like that happens a lot in europe. no one is getting caught with the fences. the fences have their own network of people they can actually get rid of. they break up diamonds and jewels and reset them, sell them different ways around the whole world. and i think they got to start an investigation with the fencers because that's how you'll break up big rings, whether it was the p pink panther gang or other large groups. >> thank you. steven, with your $10 million, you clearly picked the right profession. good to see both of you. let's get you back to politics. more on breaking news, hillary clinton ripping donald trump over the report he has not paid
11:51 am
federal income taxes for years. also ahead, more criticism against trump after he physically mocked hillary clinton's bout with pneumonia. have you seen this? let's talk about it ahead. pcountries thatk mewe traveled,t what is your nationality and i would always answer hispanic. so when i got my ancestry dna results it was a shocker. i'm everything. i'm from all nations. i would look at forms now and wonder what do i mark? because i'm everything. and i marked other. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com. approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five,
11:52 am
but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions. unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years
11:53 am
experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪
11:54 am
11:55 am
cnn is on this nationwide tour. we have a great team of correspondents traveling across this great land in a camper. they're hitting key swing states and destinations leading up to the final days of this presidential election with the goal of essentially cutting through the noise and grasping the real pulse of america. today the #myvotecamper is at longwood university in farmville, the site of tomorrow nice's vice presidential debate. really they just wanted to take a road trip. cnn digital correspondents. guys, great to see you.
11:56 am
i'll see you in farmville tomorrow. talk to me about this road trip. >> well, yeah, chris and i have been on a road trip for a week now. we started right after hofstra and we're heading to las vegas. we're hitting up all the presidential debates. in between we're stopping at key battleground states. we're talking to the voters. we don't really want to talk to the candidates, the pundits or surrogat surrogates. we want to talk to the voters. one was scranton, pennsylvania. >> pennsylvania could be pivotal in this election. donald trump is making inroads with life-long democrats. there are far more registered democrats in pennsylvania than there are republicans. we met a number of people, and the polling it showing this well, that registered democrats in that state, at least a few are either becoming republicans or voting for trump. along the way we met quite a few characters. one guy, bob, who has decked out his entire 18-whiler in
11:57 am
pro-trump messages and videos -- or messages and pictures. we actually took a road trip with him. take a look. >> i don't have to do this. i do this because i belief in this country. you're in pennsylvania right now. see what happens out here. you'll get a flavor for why he's going to win pa. he knows the concept of what makes this type of stuff work. he knows the business end of it. it's not just about me driving a stupid truck around. it's about seeing what this country's really about. >> as you saw chris and i bopping around with bob in his truck. what was interesting is we started looking out the windows and we saw that people were driving right up next to the truck, taking photos, giving their thumbs up. >> and other hand symbols. >> and other signs we don't want -- >> not for transition. >> exactly. we also stopped at a couple rest stops and truck stops. a lot of people just swarmed the truck.
11:58 am
it was like a magnet. people from both sides, people who supported trump, people against him. bob particularly loved talking to people of both sides. he's very interested in people expressing how they feel about the election and in his terms, the truck is his way of expressing his point of view about the election. >> awesome. i love we sent you out in it rv to talk to you about the people who matter, the people voting for the next president of the united states. you two in farmville tomorrow. chris and vanessa, thank you, thank you, on your red trip. coming up next, breaking news. new york's attorney general sending out a cease and desist order to trump's foundation. your insurance company
11:59 am
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage.
12:00 pm
call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. we continue on top of the hour. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. let's begin with breaking news straight from the campaign trail. you have hillary clinton seizing on the revelations about donald trump's taxes. "the new york times" reporting trump lost nearly $1 billion back in 1995. perhaps may have avoided paying federal income taxes for nearly two decades as a result of that nine fife figure loss. while cnn has not been able to independently verify these documents obtained by "the times," trump's campaign has not challenged any of the details. instead, touting his business savvy. moments ago at a