Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  October 10, 2016 6:00am-7:01am PDT

6:00 am
>> mm-hmm. >> but at the end of the day, donald trump and i stand shoulder to shoulder in this campaign. i'm honored to stand with him. i'm headed to north carolina today and we're going to continue to present this campaign as a choice between two futures. a stronger america. >> yep. >> at home and abroad that stands by our constitutional principles. >> got it. thank you governor mike pence. we did lose the window there. "newsroom" with carol costello starts right now. >> but you gave it the old college try. thanks so much, alisyn. you did, "newsroom" starts now. and good morning i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. it's being called the ugliest presidential debate ever, and it began with donald trump and hillary clinton not even bothering to shake hands. and the tone from there, only got nastier. >> for you to say that there was nothing wrong with you deleting 39,000 e-mails, again, you
6:01 am
should be ashamed of yourself. >> okay, donald. i know you're in to big diversion tonight. anything to avoid talking about your campaign and the way it's exploding, and the way republicans are leaving you. these morning the house speaker paul ryan holding a conference call with fellow house republicans. the topic, the bombshell taps of trump's lewd and sexually aggressive comments just as multiple sources tell us ryan is sticking with the party's nominee at least for now. one thing we do know, mike pence, he says he's going to stay on the ticket with trump. today he will campaign in north carolina as trump focuses on pennsylvania. a crucial swing state. the democrats are hitting michigan, ohio, and colorado. oh, we have a lot to cover this morning. including new information about the republican house conference call just two hours away now. cnn's senior political reporter manu raju live in st. louis with all of that. good morning. >> good morning, carol. republicans are assessing the strength of donald trump's debate performance. just in a couple of hours
6:02 am
republicans will hold that private conference call and determine whether or not more republicans will jump ship like we saw a number do over the weekend. one person in particular, house speaker paul ryan. i am told by a ryan official ryan's position at this time.n meaning that he is still supporting donald trump at this moment. of course all this comes after that very, very contentious bitter debate performance, and when donald trump right now trying to make sure that it was enough to salvage his campaign. >> donald trump entered last night's debate with one major goal. to end the crisis engulfing his campaign. after a tape of his vulgar remarks about groping women from 2005 was uncovered. >> this was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i apologized to my family. i apologized to the american people. >> reporter: cnn's anderson
6:03 am
cooper pressing trump over his crude comments about forcing himself on women. trump denying he ever actually did that. >> i have great respect for women. nobody has more respect for women than i do. >> so for the record you're saying you never did that. >> frankly, you hear these things. they're said. and i was embarrassed by it, but i have tremendous respect for women. and women have respect for me. >> have you ever done those things? >> and i will tell you, no i have not. >> reporter: hillary clinton linking the tape to his past controversial rhetoric. >> i said starting back in june that he was not fit to be president and commander in chief. this is who donald trump is. but it's not only women and it's not only this video that raises questions about his fitness to be our president. because he has also targeted immigrants, african-americans, latinos, people with disabilities, p.o.w.s, muslims
6:04 am
and so many others. >> reporter: as he long threatened, trump rehashed old clinton controversies. bringing to the debate three women who accused bill clinton of sexual misconduct in the 1990s. >> if you look at bill clinton, far worse. mine are words, his were action. >> i am reminded of what my friend, michelle obama, reminded us all. when they go low, you go high. >> reporter: trump in an extraordinary remark threatening to jail clinton if he becomes president over her handling of classified material on her private e-mail server as secretary of state. >> if i win, i am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation. >> it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you'd be in jail. >> reporter: trump frequently interrupting clinton throughout the heated exchange.
6:05 am
>> it's just not true. and, so, please, go to -- >> you didn't delete them. >> allow her to respond, please. >> personal e-mail. not official. >> 33,000? >> well we turned over 35,000. >> oh, yeah. what about the over 15,000? >> please allow her to respond. she didn't talk while you talked. >> reporter: clinton becoming visibly frustrated. >> okay, donald. i know you're into big diversion tonight, anything to avoid talking about your campaign, and the way it's exploding, and the way republicans are leaving you. >> reporter: trump, at times, seemingly uncomfortable. pacing around the stage and hovering over clinton. the billionaire admitting that he wrote off nearly $1 billion in losses. and didn't pay federal income taxes in some years. >> did you use that $916 million loss to avoid paying personal federal income taxes? >> of course i don't. of course i don't. >> reporter: trump making a stunning admission when pressed about governor mike pence. flatly contradicting his running mate's call to use military force in syria. >> he and i haven't spoken and i disagree. i disagree.
6:06 am
>> you disagree with your running mate. >> to knock out isis. >> reporter: clinton found herself on the defensive, as well. over leaked transcripts of her speeches to banks. including one where she talked about having different positions publicly and privately. >> as i recall, that was something i said about abraham lincoln. president lincoln was trying to convince some people he used some arguments. convincing other people he used other arguments. >> she lied. now she's blaming the lie on the late, great, abraham lincoln. that's one that i haven't -- >> reporter: the ugly tone of this debate which started with the candidates re2350using to shake hands. ended by both sharing what they respect about each other. >> his children are incredibly able and devoted and i think that says a lot about donald. >> she doesn't quit. she doesn't give up. i respect that. i tell it like it is. she's a fighter.
6:07 am
>> now in the aftermath of the release of that "access hollywood" video in which donald trump is boasting about groping women, there was a lot of speculation about what his running mate mike pence would do. of course mike pence canceled an appearing event on saturday in wisconsin because of the controversy of donald trump's remarks. but speaking just a few moments ago to our colleague alisyn camerota on "new day" mike pence made it clear that he never considered dropping off the ticket. >> it's absolutely false. to suggest that at any point in time we considered dropping off this ticket. it's the greatest honor of my life to have been nominated by my party to be the next vice president of the united states of america. look, politics is a very tough business. i get that. this is my first time, alisyn, at the national level. and the fact is that, you know, i -- as i said on saturday, you know, i couldn't condone, i couldn't defend those raremarksi
6:08 am
encouraged donald trump on friday to apologize for them. he did. >> now in a lot of ways, carol, that really is a signal to the rest of the republican party, mike pence wanting to get the party back together again, after such a damaging weekend. and also send a signal to his former house republican colleagues that maybe it's not time to jump ship. give donald trump another chance and he can right the ship going forward, and that may be one reason why, too, that paul ryan also at this moment still supporting donald trump. carol? >> all right. manu raju reporting live from st. louis. thanks so much. let's talk about all of this with me now lynn sweet washington bureau chief of the chicago sun times, ron brownstein a cnn senior political analyst and senior editor for the atlantic, cnn's politics executive editor mark preston, and era lewis, a senior political commentator. welcome to all of you. whew. okay. so errol, the republican leadership will hold this conference on trump in just about two hours, and apparently
6:09 am
trump needed to stop the bleeding. did he do that last night? >> i think he did. and as far as being in free-fall, remember there was a lot of commentary right up until the debate yesterday about whether or not they would take extraordinary means to try and pressure him out of the race. whether or not there would be more defections, people withdrawing their endorsement. whether or not he could, in fact, continue at all effectively with the campaign. this discussion now, i think, is going to have a different tone because of his performance last night. on the other hand, it's a little too early to start popping champagne at trump tower because you've got some real questions about how much in the way of resources they're really going to commit to the presidential side of the fall campaign as opposed to all of the down ballot races that they're so concerned about. >> here's the thing, mark. so republicans were very upset that donald trump was going to bring these three clinton accusers to the debate. the original plan, by the way, according to rudy giuliani this morning was to put those clinton accusers in the vip box so they would have to shake hands with bill clinton.
6:10 am
so what does trump do? he does this live facebook thing with these three accusers, right, and then he invites them to the debate, and you know, the, i guess the debate commission didn't want them in the vip box so they sat where they sat. >> right. >> how did he stop the bleeding in that sense? >> well, errol's right in the fact that we're not having gushing blood coming out right now. i mean the fact is, don't expect paul ryan to come out -- >> -- the bleeding to a trickle? >> listen, i'm of the mind-set that donald trump has bled out so much right now that it's almost impossible for him to win the election. if you look at the electoral map right now what he needs to do, and quite frankly what hillary clinton needs to do over the next 30 or so days, is to reach out to the middle, specifically. i know we talk a lot about that. what is the middle? the middle is the suburbs and ex-burbs of philadelphia. it's women voters who are on the fence. white male voters that they've been going back and forth on the college educated white male voters. we're also seeing that in major cities in florida as well.
6:11 am
look, donald trump just put it simply, he wins ohio, wins north carolina, wins -- needs to win florida. on top of that he will even need to win pennsylvania or virginia to win the election. >> okay. >> that's hard. >> so just on the topic of women in those states because he needs women right lynn sweet so, anderson cooper very pointedly asked donald trump about those comments that he made on the bus. and he said no i didn't grope anyone. it was locker room talk, he apologized again. and hillary clinton made quick work of that, right? because she put out a campaign ad on this very thing this morning. let's listen and then we'll talk. >> describe kissing women without consent. >> no, i didn't say that at all. i don't think you understood what was sent. -- start kissing them. it's like a magnet. >> this was locker room talk. >> grabbing their genitals. grab them by the [ bleep ] >> locker room talk. >> and when you're a star they let you do it. you can do anything. >> i didn't say that at all.
6:12 am
i don't think you understood what was said. this was locker room talk. >> so, lynn, this web ad, and what trump said last night about those comments on the bus, did he stop the bleeding with female voters in suburban philadelphia, who are not sure about him at all? and dislikes the way he talks about women? >> my guess is, carol, there's nothing he said last night that would change a woman's mind who was offended by this, and otherwise would have wanted to have been with trump, except that he didn't really seem to own up to it. because here's the point, he was at work. he wasn't in a locker room. he was in a workplace. he was getting ready -- he was miked up, and the reason we have the tape is because he was going to do a show. he was experienced in television. carol, we where hot miks all the time. you know that you need judgment for what you do. that's another part of this. so, people i think on this
6:13 am
one -- you don't need to be an expert in foreign policy or s.t.e.m. education or intricacies of medicare and medicaid to understand that he was just trying to put a label on it, minimize it, and therefore try to dismiss it, and people see through that. specifically i think the very woman whose votes he needs to win. >> so, so, ron, i mean, there was a republican exodus after these comments over the weekend. right? so were all of those republicans now jump back on board because of what trump said at the debate last night? >> no. no. that was building. and just to put this in perspective. we're now talking about nearly one-third of republican senators and almost one-third of republican governors, saying they will not vote for their party's nominee. that is unprecedented. there has never been anything like that i believe in the history of the party. not in 1964 with barry goldwater. not even in 1912 when theodore roosevelt bolted the party after the renomination of william
6:14 am
howard taft. the dissension and the fracture was not as wide. now will that cause mass defection among hard-core republican partisan voters? no, probably not. what it does do is contributes to the problem we've been talking about in the suburbs as we've talked about before, donald trump is the first republican ever at risk of losing college educated white voters. it never happened in the history of polling going back to 1952 and if you look at pennsylvania which you've been talking about and the poll that came out yesterday the maris poll he is trailing not only by 34 points among college educated white women which is an extraordinary number but perhaps even more extraordinary he's trailing by 15 points in pennsylvania among college educated white men who usually vote very heavily republican, and i think those are the sort of voters who are getting the signal from all of this defection voters are usually lean republican that it's okay in this -- in this instance not to go with the partiaries nominee because so many leaders within the party are doing so as well. >> okay. something else that trump said last night that that appeals greatly to his base in fact they
6:15 am
were probably thrilled when he said it. he said he would open an investigation if he became president into hillary clinton's e-mail controversy, and he would send her to jail. let's listen. >> if i win, i am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation, because there has never been so many lies, so much deception, there has never been anything like it. >> it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you'd be in jail. >> secretary clinton -- >> okay. so errol he said, so you'd be in jail. number one a president doesn't have the power to do that. that's what the courts are for in the united states of america. right? >> right. >> but still, trump's core supporters would probably say yeah, go -- >> we heard some of that. >> is that what independent voters want to do? >> of course not.
6:16 am
>> -- presidency is open up this hearing? >> no, of course. in fact when you played that i was glad you got a little bit of the howl from the crowd because it reflects the howl we heard at the republican national convention. it is an applause line. purely emotional. has nothing to do with the laws, the facts, nothing to do with anything really or anything that's likely to happen. it for people who are really worried about the election kind of and our politics going completely off the rails, it has a little echo of authoritarian rule. i don't know if that's a real wide concern right now. but, it's, it's showing what i think donald trump was doing most of last night which was trying to shore up his base, give them the red meat, give them their plauz line, whether or not it's rational factual or anything else. i really unpleasant moment frankly. >> okay you guys stick around. i'm going to have to get a break in but i want to continue our conversation after the break because still to come, yeah there were accusations, ugly rhetoric. but it wasn't completely doom and gloom. yes the candidates actually said nice things about each other.
6:17 am
we'll talk about that next. when i was a little kid, i made a deal with myself that i would never grow up. we met when we were very young... i was 17, he was 18. we made the movie the book of life. we started doing animation. with the surface book, you can do all this stuff. you can actually draw on the screen. so crisp. i love it. it's almost like this super powerful computer and a tablet had the perfect baby. it's a typewriter for writing scripts... it's a sketchbook for sketches... ...it's a canvas for painting... you can't do that on a mac. on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't
6:18 am
raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claims centers are available to assist you 24/7. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. you're not a firefighter, if you don't fight fires. or a coach, if you don't coach.
6:19 am
and you can't be our leader, if you don't lead. our next president needs to take action on social security, or future generations could lose up to $10,000 a year. we're working hard, what about you? hey candidates, do your jobs. keep social security strong. i'm beowulf boritt and i'm broaa broadway set designer. when i started designing a bronx tale: the musical, i came up... ...with this idea of four towers that were fire escapes... ...essentially. i'll build a little model in photoshop and add these... ...details in with a pen. i could never do that with a mac. i feel like my job is... ...to put out there just enough detail to spur the audiences... ...imagination to fill in all the blanks. this windows pc is amazing, having all of my tools... ...right at my finger tips is incredible.
6:20 am
6:21 am
it is such an ugly election. trump calls clinton a liar and a criminal, even the devil. clinton calls trump a sexist and unhinged. so it was an oddly breathtaking moment when a voter asked both candidates to come up with something good to say about the other. >> look, i respect his children. his children are incredibly able, and devoted, and i think that says a lot about donald. i don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does, but i do respect that. >> i will say this about hillary. she doesn't quit. she doesn't give up. i respect that. i tell it like it is. she's a fighter. i disagree with much of what she's fighting for. i do disagree with her judgment,
6:22 am
and many cases, but she does fight hard, and she doesn't quit, and she doesn't give up. and i consider that to be a very good trait. >> all right. so let's talk about that and more. errol lewis is back, ron brownstein and mark preston, lynn skweet. so mark donald trump actually answered the question. i'm not so sure that hillary clinton did. >> well, it was predictable what she said. it was -- i mean literally when the question was asked, we were sitting around watching, said going right to the children. because the children have been praised throughout the whole campaign, and they do seem like they're very well put together -- >> she didn't say he was a great father and he raised his children to be the respectful adults they are now. >> she didn't. but she walked a fine line and that was the -- that was the good thing she could find in donald trump. now what his answer was caught us all off guard quite frankly, because it really did give us a window into his mind, and his thinking, which is exactly where he is in this campaign.
6:23 am
fight, fight, fight. he looked at her and said god she's given me quite a run right now for this and i like the fact that she is a fighter. and that's the way he seems to have conducted himself his entire life. >> interesting. so lynn might she use that in a campaign ad? >> i think that would be low on the list. because she's got a lot of stuff that might be better. also, i want to point out that donald trump, before he talked about is she a fighter when he talked about her kids he addressed it, i don't know if it was meant to be a compliment but it's great. he is so combative, carol, that he can't even take a compliment about his children without trying to turn that into a character flaw of hillary clinton. and, and, she wasn't -- sincere when he was complimenting getting the compliment for his kids, so, you know maybe he'll use a commercial, the compliment that hillary clinton made for his kids. >> okay. all right.
6:24 am
let's switch gears and talk taxes because ron i thought that donald trump's answers to whether he didn't pay federal income tax for the past 20 years it was interesting. so listen to this exchange. >> you have not answered though a simple question. did you use that $960 million loss to avoid paying personal federal income taxes? >> of course i don't. of course i do and so do all of her donors or most of her donors. but i will tell you number one i pay tremendous numbers of taxes. i absolutely used it. and so did warren buffett, and so did george soreos. >> so, so ron he essentially admitted, well, yeah, i didn't pay federal income taxes because why wouldn't i? and by the way, so did your rich friends. they used loopholes, too. >> look i think in polling it's pretty clear americans think a lot of rich people find ways to avoid paying taxes. the important point is it doesn't mean that they like it. and for donald trump the risk here is that so much of his
6:25 am
appeal is that he is kind of a traitor to his class, that he is a rich guy who has worked the system but will now fight for you to make it work better for you, the problem he runs into with taxes is it reinforces the narrative about not paying small businesses, about investors getting stiffed even in the videotape about the way he interacts with women i mean the common story is that donald trump seems to pursue what is best for himself without much regard for what it means for other people. the idea of not paying taxes, no civic responsibility to contribute to education, the military, or the roads i think reinforces a core clinton argument that you can't really trust him to fight for you and i think that's where it hurts him more than on the specifics of how much taxes he pace. >> so, so on the subject of trust and what politicians say publicly and think privately, hillary clinton was asked about that because in a wall street speech she told these powerful bankers that yes, she sometimes this one thing privately and says other things publicly.
6:26 am
donald trump had a great response to that charge. let's listen. >> that was something i said about abraham lincoln, after having seen the wonderful steven spielberg movie called "lincoln." it was a master class, watching president lincoln get the congress to approve the 13th amendment. it was principled, and it was strategic. and i was making the point that it is hard sometimes to get the congress to do what you want to do. and you have to keep working at it. >> she lied. now she's blaming the lie on the late, great abraham lincoln. honest abe. honest abe never lied. that's the good thing. that's the big difference between abraham lincoln and you. >> so, so errol, first of all, errol -- the late, great abraham lincoln. and hillary clinton's answer was so quintessentially what a
6:27 am
democrat would say in answering that question. it was all over the place, and it was, you know, tried to intellectualize it and seriously why can't you just say yeah we're all one person at work and in private we're another person? >> i thought actually a more accurate reading of it would have been you know there's this position that i hold, and then there's where the public is and i'm trying to bring the two together. that's what she was getting at. this is what happens in diplomacy and governance especially on big issues like the 13th amendment. she couldn't bring himself to simply say that and of course it left a big, wide opening for him to say i know about abe lincoln and senator you're no abe lincoln. >> all right. i wish he would have put it that way. that would have been even better. that would have been fantastic. thank you so much. i got to leave it there. lynn sweet, ron brownstein, errol lewis, mark preston. still to come the unsaid debate moments now going viral. we'll talk about them next. r da, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release
6:28 am
technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
6:29 am
of bad breath germs. this is 100% useful for a 100% fresh mouth. just ask listerine® users. the very people we studied in the study of bold. people who are statistically more likely to stand up to a bully. do a yoga handstand. and be in a magician's act. listerine® kills 99% of bad breath germs so you can feel 100% in life.
6:30 am
bring out the bold™. go to boldpercent.com to join the bold percent for the chance to win a trip of a lifetime.
6:31 am
6:32 am
and good morning, i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. one of the most talked about moments from last night's debate had nothing to do with either of the candidates said but rather how they shared the stage. you know, physically. donald trump standing directly, only three to five feet behind hillary clinton for one entire answer. that move on donald trump's part went viral. one tweet, why does he keep lurking behind her? another tweet, this looks like a poster for a 1970s horror movie. and others just took it there. check out this screen grab from halloween. mrs. clinton later though laughed off the close encounter. >> i could tell, yes. i could. well, you know, it was a very small space, and i tried to give him space when he was talking to people. i would go back and, you know, lean up against my stool.
6:33 am
but, he was very present. >> with me now is fred malik the former bush/quayle campaign manager back in 1992. thanks for being with me. >> pleasure, carol, thank you. >> we'll just start with the optics of this thing. your take on where donald trump stood through most of the debate? he also paced a lot onstage. you could see him kind of over hillary clinton's shoulder. he never sat down when she answered questions. your thoughts? >> well i think both candidates kind of were a little bit odd. i think trump's patience standing behind her was a little bit offputting frankly and i wondered what he was doing. at the same time, hillary clinton continued to kind of laugh and smirk every time trump talked like kind of, well what is the village idiot going to say next? and i thought that was a little bit contrived and offputting as well. i think both of them looked a little bit strange on that stage. >> and, this was a town hall.
6:34 am
this was supposed to be an intimate gathering where voters were supposed to feel closer to the candidates. sometimes i forgot it was a town hall, frankly. >> i did, too. you know, carol, if somebody is awoken from a coma of two years and seen this debate, i think they would wonder is this the best our great country has to offer? because neither one of them really looked that great. all the focus was on mistakes, on character flaws and the like and i think our person out of the coma would have said i really don't think i want either one of them. it was not the best moment for either. but by the same token, they scored some real points. >> they did. and before we get that i want to talk a little bit more about the optics because they were so very strange. so before the debate, the candidates did not shake hands. right? i think we have pictures of all of this to show our viewers. so they didn't shake hands before the debate. but after the debate, they did shake hands. you could see the, the spouses
6:35 am
shaking hands before the debate. and they're going to get these pictures up so i'll just ask you about the shaking of hands. why not come out and shake one another's hand? >> i can't imagine why they didn't shake hands. it's clear that they don't like each other. it's clear that there was more fisticuffs to come. but nevertheless even in a prize fight when people are battering each other they shake hands before the fight. and i kind of expected them to shake hands and i noticed it and wondered why they didn't. was it deliberate? was it planned in advance? did one of them just not approach the other? i don't know. they should have shaken hands in my opinion. it was nice that they did so afterwards. of course they knew the families were coming up and they wanted to part on a reasonable note. >> okay. so we're getting more images in. these, i don't know if this really shows it but i'm going to do my best here. so chelsea clinton had her arm around her mother coming into the debate. and then you could see her sitting in the vip box with her father, with her hand on her shoulder there's the image i'm talking about. so you'll see chelsea clinton get out and, there.
6:36 am
arm around her mom. right? >> carol -- >> uh-huh. >> i've been involved with a lot of presidential nominees, and candidates, i've worked very closely with both bushes, i've worked very closely with john mccain, and let me -- and mitt romney too. and let me tell you these are real people. they don't -- they're not just caricatures. they're real people and they suffer from this. and their families, most of all, have to bear the brunt of it because when you hear your spouse, or your father, being attacked and pillarried in any kind of way that they are, it's very humiliating and debilitating for these families. it's tough on them. and i think most of them handled themselves very, very well. and i'm glad that they mingled afterwards. >> yeah. >> and didn't show the effects of it. >> just watching the trump family sitting there, especially melania you know she wears this shockingly bright pink outfit as if to say you know i have nothing to be ashamed of. but she sat stony through the entire debate.
6:37 am
and but she did shake hands with bill clinton which i thought was, was a fabulous move, because why not? >> sure. it's a classy thing to do. and i think it was the right thing to do. and i don't think families have animosity toward one another. they understand the battle that they're in. but it still stings when you hear your father, your wife, your son, your husband attacked in the way that they are. look, all of this debate was about character flaw. very little of it was on vision and policies for the country. that was a flaw of the debate in my opinion but it also affected the families. >> so what should voters take away from this? i reached out to my facebook followers and asked them who won. most of them said hillary clinton but i think many of them felt slightly ill after watching the debate. >> well that's what i said a little while ago. if somebody came down from mars or out of a coma they would say is this the best we have to offer? it really wasn't so much a debate as it was an attack on each other. my opinion is, hillary won the debate on points. she was so articulate and well
6:38 am
prepared. but at the same time, i think trump won the night because he did what he had to do to deflect and defray the disgusting comments on these taps and he lived to fight another day. >> have you decide had you're going to vote for? >> i haven't. i've focused on the governors, with the republican governor's association, on the house of representatives, through my chairmanship of the congressional leadership fund and i'm going to do everything i can to protect down ballot races. >> fred malik thanks for joining me this morning. still to come, the debate hadn't even started but the battle had already begun. several of bill clinton's accusers sitting with donald trump hours before the town hall showdown. (foot steps) ♪ (crickets chirping) ♪ (jet engine) ♪ (heart beat) ♪ (water splashing) (rain drops) (engine revving) (tires on wet road)
6:39 am
♪ lease the exhilarating 2017 lincoln mkz for $349 a month only at your lincoln dealer. ♪ sing girl, come on. ♪[ singing ]♪ sorry, ariana you gotta go. seriously? verizon limits me and i gotta get home. you're gonna choose navigation over me? maps get up here. umm... that way. girl! you better get on t-mobile! why pay more for data limits? introducing t-mobile one, unlimited data for everyone. get four lines just $35 a month.
6:40 am
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan.
6:41 am
no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
6:42 am
it was a predebate moment so stunning even the clinton campaign admitted to being blindsided. donald trump appearing in a panel with three women who have accused bill clinton of sexual misconduct. and one woman whose rapist was defended by hillary clinton in
6:43 am
her early years as an attorney. two clinton aides telling cnn even after they planned for harsh personal attacks, they did not expect this. >> these four very fourageous women have asked to be here, and we're so honored to help them. >> i'm here to support mr. trump. i think he's going to make america great again. and i think everybody else -- and i think they should all look at the fact that he is a good person. he's not what other people have been saying he's been. >> joining us now to talk about this is cnn political commentator, hillary clinton supporter and columnist for the daily beast and betsy mccoy former lieutenant governor of new york, donald trump supporters and senior fellow at the london center for policy research. okay, so betsy, do you think that trump strategy won over the women that he needed? those suburban republican
6:44 am
educated women? >> i do. i think that creating this separate little event before the debate kept the issue of the treatment of women off center stage. because what the polls she, the gallup poll, the pew poll, is that women, like men, consider the two top issues to be our stagnant economy, and the increasing threat of terrorism. >> well the first 15 minutes of the debate, though, were on donald trump's -- >> well that wasn't his doing. but let me just explain. >> wasn't doing, he said them. >> no, let me just explain, please, that he was answering a question. but mrs. clinton isn't running on jump-starting the economy. or addressing the threats of isis. because her party has failed on both those issues. so she has turned the debate to a debate over political correctness. that is the theme of her campaign. the speech police -- >> political correctness? >> yes, let me just finish. she has said she's going to make sure that men talk respectfully
6:45 am
to women. that whites are taught to show more humility in the presence of blacks. that chubby beauty queens won't be fat shamed. that illegal immigrants will feel welcome. and that people who disagree with her will be labeled bigots, racists, homophobes, xenophobes and other deplorable names. >> so just to get it straight you're okay with donald trump with all the stuff he said on the bus, it's locker room talk -- >> let me point out, he addressed that issue. it is locker room banter -- >> but it's okay because it's not politically correct -- >> excuse me. it wasn't okay. but he measured it against the really big issues we're facing. such as christians being beheaded. or drowned in steel cages. people unable to find work because our economy is growing at a meager 1.2%. >> okay. we got it. so sally, your thoughts.
6:46 am
>> um -- i -- i -- you know, i -- i find myself a little speechless at the moment, betsy. and that's not a common phenomenon. look, hillary clinton has a plan for the economy and for creating not only creating jobs but creating jobs with good wages. she has a plan for defeating isis. notably, and this, this stuns me, i don't know how we've gotten to this point as a country, donald trump repeatedly was asked very clear very simple questions about his strategy for how he would replace obamacare. how he would deal with isis. how he would address tax issues. and he did not answer the questions. he just -- hang on i let you talk. he just kind of vomited a word salad all over the place. now, that being said, i'm sorry, hillary clinton, this is like -- oh, yeah, this is like saying that donald trump -- donald trump trying to blame hillary clinton for bringing up the birther issue. that is preposterous. it is untrue.
6:47 am
and it is -- it is the definition of orwellian. he brought it up. he brought it up again and again and again and again. the reason we're talking about the sexual assault of women and misogyny in general as well as discrimination and prejudice and hate in this campaign is because of donald trump. because he keeps bringing it up. because he keeps doing inand saying things that are beyond the pale. >> let's go back to the core issues. because, women don't like how donald trump talks about women. >> how he treats them. not just talks, treats. >> no, no, they don't. that's why they're not on his side at the moment. especially those suburban educated republican women that normally go -- that normally vote republican and are not this time around. >> i'm going to repeat the facts -- >> and here's why they're confused. here's why they're confused. donald trump appears with these three clinton accusers, right? paula jones is one of them. and we played a little sound bite from her. but back in 1998, he was not complimentary of paula jones. in fact he called her ugly.
6:48 am
let's listen. >> let's talk about another 52-year-old bill clinton. what's he need to do? >> well, i don't know. it's so embarrassing. and you really have to say where does it stop? i would have done something, certainly different than what they did. i mean that all started, paula jones is a loser. but the fact is that she may be responsible for bringing down a president indirectly. >> okay, so he went on to say, he went on to say and we'll put the full screen up, put the graphic up, donald trump went on to say of clinton's accusers, the whole group, it's truly an unattractive cast of characters. linda tripp, lucianne goldberg i mean this woman, i watch her on television, just vomiting. she is so bad. the whole group, paula jones, lewinsky, it's just really an unattractive group. and now he calls all of these women courageous. >> well, they are courageous -- they are courageous because they have come out to confront hillary clinton's false claims that she is a defender of women.
6:49 am
>> but does donald trump think she's courageous -- >> as the wikileaks -- as the wikileaks information showed on friday, hillary clinton has two personas. the public persona, and the private persona. those are her own words. and she is a defender of women, only when it's about -- >> politically. >> but donald trump's message to america -- first of all, let me just start by clarifying, because it just doesn't seem to be clear to betsy or to the media, that bill clinton is not running for president. just let's get that clear for starters. and second, donald trump's message, his marketing pitch to the american people seems to be, don't vote for the candidate whose husband hurts women. instead vote for me, donald trump, because i hurt women. >> that's not -- >> what the heck is happening here. are political correctness ads,
6:50 am
pointing fingers at people she doesn't like the way they talk, whereas -- >> her ads are his on words! she is quoting his on words and he says they're nasty because his words are nasty. i'm sorry, when does this stop? >> they want a president who will jump-start the economy. americans are earning less now than they did in 2007. it's not an issue of how people talk. we want a president who will get the job done. >> except it is an issue because women object to the way he talks about women. >> excuse me, betsy, he didn't just talk about it. >> just a moment, dear. >> let me point out as i did at the beginning of this panel, the number one and two issues for women as well as for men are the economy and terrorism, and mrs. clinton has a failed record. she represents the status quo, not change. >> okay. sally, then why is donald trump losing 15 points among women? >> first of all, donald trump, it's not just donald trump's
6:51 am
words. he bragged about forcing himself on women. he bragged about sexual assault. by the way, if we want to talk about accusers, there are women who have stepped forward repeatedly, there are active lawsuits to back up those claims. not just words. let's stop trivializing, let's just stop trivializing it as words. we are talking about his actions and his actions aren't just offensive. they are criminal. they are criminal. >> words spoken on this bus were locker room banter. don't find it attractive, i'm the mother of three daughters and two granddaughters, but the fact is donald trump apologized and then -- >> would the father of your children talk that way in the locker room? >> i think many men talk that way. >> not a single one i know. >> i have no idea. >> you don't know who you married? >> i haven't been married to him in many years so the fact is, let me point out that this election should not be about the speech police and political correctness. >> then he should stop saying offensive things. stop right now. stop insulting mexicans and stop
6:52 am
insulting muslims and stop insulting women and stop insulting black people, stop it. then stop saying -- >> all the americans she calls deplorables and unredeemables. >> let's equate the one statement for which she apologized with the hundreds -- i'm sorry, but this is -- >> they are all insults to americans. >> i will stop it here. thank you so much. i do appreciate the conversation this morning. still to come in the "newsroom" the candidates fight it out. how many tuned in? ♪ever since you touched my ♪i whand i knew♪ou, ♪i love you, i love you, i love you.♪ ♪where you go i'll follow, i'll follow, i'll follow.♪ ♪you'll always be my true love, my true love, my true love,♪ ♪forever ♪
6:54 am
6:55 am
okay. so the last debate got 80 million people. what about this debate? brian stelter is here with the early numbers. good morning. >> it is good morning. this debate not as highly rated as the first one. number one, there was a big football game. number two, people are getting really sick and tired of all this debating. as one top tv executive said a few minutes ago, people are repulsed by the tone, the ugliness of this debate. >> because i always text with a group of friends because they were having debate parties and a lot of them just tuned out and said okay, i'm done. >> looks like about 20% fewer
6:56 am
viewers which still makes this a massive television event. 60 or 70 million viewers. some channels like cnn grew their audience from the first debate to the second but overall there was a decline, partly because of football but partly because of the tone. some people are just disgusted by this. the american people i think deserve better than we saw last night. >> i have to agree with you there. i just do. billy bush, i find this really interesting. he was on that bus with mr. trump when mr. trump said those things about groping women, and billy bush is suspended? >> suspended. sounds like he won't be returning to the "today" show. he just got a big new job co-hosting an hour of the show. my sources say it's unlikely he will get his job back. for now he's just benched but it's unlikely how he will return. the network has to consider how female viewers would feel if he returns to the show. >> so many female viewers wrote in maligning billy bush? >> there has been so much criticism of him online, twitter
6:57 am
and facebook. i think so. think about how guests might feel, might not want to sit down with him right now. the next hour of "cnn newsroom" after a break.
6:58 am
6:59 am
7:00 am
good morning. i'm carol costello. thank you for joining me. just one hour from now, the house speaker paul ryan will hold a conference call with fellow house republicans. the goal, to check the mood of those lawmakers after the last few days. this is multiple sources telling us ryan is sticking with the party's nominee, that would be donald trump, at least for now. trump's running mate mike pence says he will not abandon the ticket. today he campaigns in north carolina as trump focuses on pennsylvania, a crucial swing state. the democrats are hitting michigan, ohio and colorado. the blitz comes on the morning after a debate so ugly that trump and hillary clinton didn't even shake hands at the beginning. the tone only got nastier from there.

60 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on