Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  October 25, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
according to donald trump, he is winning. according to polls not so much. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. faced with a new poll showing him five points behind hillary clinton, donald trump says this. just in case you haven't heard, we're winning not only florida but we're going to win the whole thing. and elizabeth warren campaigning for clinton says this. get this, donald. nasty women are tough.
12:01 am
nasty women are smart. and nasty women vote. plus, the one man who may even be trumpier than trump himself. i'm the one who's got all of the heavy hitters supporting me. i mean i have got the cream of the crop. i have sarah palin. i've got chachi. get this, i've even got the best baldwin brother, steven baldwin. >> what will alec baldwin "snl" trump do next? i will ask an insider. the polls are definitely not in donald trump's favor, but does he still have a path to 270? cnn's john king is at the magic ball to break it down for us. >> our new national poll has the race tighter than other national polls. sunday an abc poll had it at 12. we don't have that big a league, but still a league for secretary clinton. these are likely voters polled
12:02 am
by cnn and crc. 49% for hillary clinton and 44 for donald trump. not invited to debates, this is fairly typical. some of the support going back the the major party. again a five point advantage in our poll for secretary clinton as we head into the final two weeks. why is this happening? number one, we talked about this before, don, consistently in this race this education gap. white voters with a college degree are going for hillary clinton. that's important because that group went for mitt romney four years ago. white voters with a college degree for hillary clinton by 11 points. white voters without college degree, it is a foundation, the base of donald trump as support. look at that, lopsided 30% vote among whites without a degree. they are keep to donald trump keeping the race competitive in the end. another reason, gender matters a lot in the race. if you look at this chart, hillary clinton has reason to be encouraged going into the end. why? yes, donald trump is winning among men but barely, 48 to 45. secretary clinton trying to make history as first woman elected
12:03 am
president. remember the majority of the he electorate come election day will be women. this is advantage clinton. we asked voters who they're voting for and why. one of the reasons trump is still in play, needs a heavy lift to come back, but the reason he's not blown out is voters think donald trump would do a better job in handling the economy. look at the other issues. clinton wins by a bit on terrorism. she wins by a bit on immigration. clinton wins off the charts, wow, 29 points when voters are asked which of the two candidates has the best tempt to be president. remember, she has run a campaign saying he is unfit, ee rattic, temperamentally unqualified. voters agree. she leads by 15 points on who would be the best commander-in-chief, ready for the job. voters say hillary clinton. we look at national numbers and say anything in that to effect this. our national electoral map has hillary clinton winning the presidency quite comfortably right now, 307 with still a few
12:04 am
states to go, and she is tied or leading a bit in ohio, tied or leading a bit in north carolina. this map shapes up good for secretary clinton. any changes because of the new national numbers? absolutely not. donald trump needs closer than five points nationally and move some of the state numbers in the final two weeks. not a blowout nationally, but this map still overwhelmingly favors secretary clinton. >> john, thank you very much. now i want to bring in cnn politics executive editor mark preston and "washington post" political reporter philip bump. good evening. mark, despite the fact he is winning, numbers look bleak for donald trump at least electoral wise if you listen to what john king says. what is best case scenario for him? >> best is that his campaign turns around and he is able to pick up support in states such as new hampshire, pick up key congressional district in maine, that he turns it around in colorado where he is behind right now. that's not putting papa on the board, but frankly he needs his message he has in ohio to
12:05 am
transfer over to pennsylvania. certainly the western part of the state, and see if it can grow into philadelphia, otherwise he has a difficult path. again, he has to win florida and north carolina on top of that. it is difficult. >> he has a ways to go. do you agree? >> yeah, i mean i would say it is worse than difficult. essentially you saw right there looking at the map the way it is, hillary clinton is over 300 electoral votes. this is not something, you know -- and we're also two weeks from election date tomorrow. it is not like there's another debate, no opportunity to talk to -- >> depending on who you talk to, 15 days is a long time or you say it is not a long time if you're trying to turn a ship around, it is not a long time. >> no. >> but if something happens -- >> right. >> there's always something happening to change it. >> but to philip's point here, 15 days and the trend line has been -- let's look back at the last two months. we haven't seen the needle move too much either way right now. if anything, we have seen it go more towards hillary clinton certainly in the past few weeks. i don't know what could be out there that could really help.
12:06 am
the wikileaks stuff you would think, was the october surprise, and it wasn't that much of a surprise because he himself has really clouded over that message. >> he stepped on his own, as you said, stopped on his -- >> stomped on it. >> as you said in the last hour. it is clear that hillary clinton and the democrats are focusing on down ballot races. are they putting the cart before the horse? should they be trying to get her elected or can they -- all of the cliches, can they walk and chew gum at the same time? >> i think it is important. a it is important for hillary clinton to go into the white house, she wants to have a bull wark in the senate to make sure she has a back stop there, can maybe get stuff passed there, she can work with the house with. whoever comes into presidency, it will be tough to get things through congress. in a state like new hampshire where two women are running for the senate seat, it is helpful for democrats to go there and remind new hampshire voters who is atop the ticket. there are echo effects that make focusing on that race helpful.
12:07 am
>> president has been ripping republicans. he was speaking at a fundraiser and here is what he said. we have to work hard not to just make sure hillary clinton wins, but to send a message of who we are as a people. we want to win big. we don't want to eke it out, particularly when the other guy started to gripe about how the game is rigged. he is looking to crush trump. how much would -- of a landslide, you know, would help a hillary clinton govern, give her a mandate? >> well, let's go back to the crushing point. not only does he want to crush trump because he hates donald trump, right? this is the donald trump who tried to say he wasn't a u.s. citizen, but it also goes to show where barack obama is at his point in his presidency. it is all done. there's nothing, nothing is going to happen anymore on capitol hill. they will get some kind of stop gap spending measure which will basically fund the government into the new year. at some point they will try to figure it out after the election, but barack obama right
12:08 am
now is just out there to try to build up any reinforcements he can for hillary clinton because it is a third term of barack obama. as much as, you know, democrats don't like to say that, it is. this is a third term of barack obama. >> i don't think they mind saying that. barack obama is a 54% approval. >> well, right, right. >> so let's talk more about that then because in 2008 and 2012 he won by large margins, but he had obstruction, right, from republicans throughout his two years? is there such thing as a mandate anymore? >> no, that's a very, very good question. i mean i think one of the things that we see about this push to have a very large victory, i think it is less about a mandate than it is about showing the world that there is a rejection of what trump stands for. i think it is something you hear commonly in the democratic party and on the left, is that's one reason they want to beat trump badly, to say all of these racist and rights that embraced donald trump, it is a rejection of them. no, we are hearing folks talking about, well, yes, hillary clinton won but she doesn't have a mandate because she was only
12:09 am
running against donald trump and he ran no campaign, was a terrible candidate. we're hearing that stuff. there's going to be spin what is and isn't a mandate. in 2004 we saw gorge bush had a mandate when he barely won. >> and bush was going to take the mandate and privatize social security which never happened. >> i want to ask you because it is not unheard of that an incumbent president will, you know, support the democratic candidate and campaign even though i heard some trump supporters saying it never happened in the history of our country. yes, it always happens, except if you're al gore. >> or on broadway. >> and regret it, not having bill clinton do it. this is personal for the first lady and for the president. is it because of the birther thing or just because they just are so opposed to what donald trump stands for or says or does? >> i think it might be more personal for the first lady than it is for the president. >> right. >> in many ways, if you see her on the campaign trail, the past few weeks she lights it up. she -- for all of the anger and perhaps personal hatred that barack obama might have for donald trump, times that by ten
12:10 am
for michelle obama who is attacking, you know, the father of her children, who is attacking her husband, somebody who she gave up -- remember, michelle obama did not want him to run. this was not something that they wanted to do, and she gave up eight years of her life to go in there and basically raise her children in the white house only to see somebody try to tear it down. there's a lot of animosity there. >> gentlemen, thank you very much. congratulations, by the way. se going to be a dad soon. did you say post? >> post inauguration, that's true. >> post-inauguration. little philip jr. can't wait to get him on the show and see what he thinks. when we come back, behind the scenes with the woman who runs donald trump's show, kellyanne conway.
12:11 am
12:12 am
12:13 am
12:14 am
poll shows hillary clinton leading donald trump and other national poll also show her ahead, but trump tells supporters in florida he is not buying any of that. they call them dark polls. they are phoney polls put out by phoney media, and i'll tell you what, all of us are affected by this stuff. what they do is try to suppress the vote. this way people don't go out and vote. but we're winning this race. i really believe we're winning. >> are they winning? well, cnn's chief political krornt dana bash sat down with kellyanne conway. >> morning at the conways. >> sweetheart, how is this? which jacket. >> scrambling to get kids ready for school. familiar chaos for any parent,
12:15 am
though kellyanne conway is not any parent. >> acknowledging the uphill climb. >> the mother of four young children is donald trump's campaign manager, on tv explaining and defending her boss, "saturday night live" dedicated an entire bit to imaging her day off. >> this is so weird. this is exactly the way the "snl" house looked lead. >> where is walking on sunshine? >> in my head. >> these days her mother, who moved in to help, makes the pam cains. conway has only been on the job since august, trump's third campaign manager, but the first woman ever to run a gop presidential race. >> i wasn't hired because of my gender. but it is a special responsibility. >> and often a difficult one, like this weekend when trump went off script, attacking the women who say he groped them. all of these liars will be sued after the election is over.
12:16 am
>> did you tear your hair out when you heard him say that? >> it is his campaign and his candidacy, and in the end he has to feel comfortable with his voice and -- >> do you feel comfortable with it? >> i think donald trump is at his very best when he talk bisexual the issues. >> translation, going off message hurts his campaign. conway insists she is tough on trump in private. >> i don't sugar coat at all, and think he appreciates that. >> give me an example. i'm donald trump and you're kellyanne conway and i say something that makes you really mad? >> i told him yesterday on the plane, you and i are going to fight for the next 17 days. he said why. i said, because i know you're going to win, and that comment you just made sounds like you're going to lose. we're going to argue about it until you win. >> what's his response. >> he's like, okay, honey, then we'll win. >> for a time after conway took over, trump was disciplined but not anymore, especially on twitter. >> literally people will seriously say, can't you delete his twitter app. >> that was one of my questions
12:17 am
actually. >> of course. not for me to take away a grown man's twitter account. >> and i moved on her very heavily. >> when tape from 2005 came out of trump describing lewd behavior, conway cancelled sunday tv appearances, but still helped with damage control. >> and i felt like rapunzel in the tower all weekend. and i told mr. trump in private what i also said in public or a variation thereof. i found the comments to be horrible and indefensible, and he didn't ask anybody to defend him by the way. >> did you consider quitting? >> i did not. >> she said she thought his apology was ernest. >> the women who came forward and said it is not just talk, donald trump groped me, do you believe them? >> i believe -- donald trump has told me and his family and the rest of america now that none of this is true, these are lies and fabrications, they're all made up. and i think that it is not for me to judge what those women believe. i have not talked to them.
12:18 am
i have talked to him. >> she was raised in new jersey by a single mom, aunts and grandmother, all women, as a political pollster she chose to work in what she calls a man's world, especially as a republican. she recalled a potential client, a man, asking how she balanced kids and work. >> it is like i just hope you ask all of the male consultants, are you going to give up your wicked golf game and your mistresses because they seem really, really busy, too. >> still, like most working moms, time with her kids is precious. the question is whether she will have more time in two weeks after election day. >> we're going to add two states -- >> when she was hired in august she told trump he was losing but could still win. >> you think at this point it is still possible to win? >> it is still possible to win. >> probable? >> i think we have a very good chance of winning. >> hmm, very interesting. we have a lot to talk about. dana bash is here. latest polls show trump trailing by five points to hillary
12:19 am
clinton. also behind though twelve points with women. she is supposed to be the woman whisperer of the cam pan so how does she solve that? >> it is not easy for her. i asked that question. this is something she has been working on for most of her professional life, specifically the niche of explaining to politicians and corporate america, who are her clients, how to reach women. now she is the first woman running the campaign of a republican presidential nominee, and she can't make that connection with him for a whole host of reasons. >> and how to talk to women, right? >> how to fautalk to women. >> how to talk to women. and she tries, and for a short time she succeeded in making a more disciplined campaign, but for the reasons we've been uncovering for the past three weeks and the things i talked to her about, the comments that came out and some of the things he said more recently, it makes it very difficult. >> is she confounded by that? does she struggle with that,
12:20 am
especially the product of a single mom? i am, and so the way people treat women is very important to me, sisters and a mom? >> she is very guarded about it. look, she is nothing if not loyal, and that was pretty clear in talking to her. but the frustration that she also has i think came across as well beyond the whole question of women, just in terms of message discipline. the fact that he was doing better in the polls when he read the teleprompter, didn't go rogue. >> listened to her. >> listened to her. >> what about when he listens to his kids, because you talked to her about how involved his kids are. what did she tell you? >> that's the other fascinating part of the trump world, and that is kellyanne conway is the campaign manager, but his children, especially his son-in-law jerod kushner who is married to ivanka trump, he has a lot of control of the campaign. he is primary contact with the republican national committee,
12:21 am
he and somebody else who works for him, and they're dealing with the budget issues and the question of get out the vote and the grassroots campaigning that the trump campaign is relying on the republican party for this time around. she does strategy, she does messaging, but he is doing a lot of the nuts and bolts a traditional campaign manager does. >> interesting. thank you. i enjoyed that. >> thanks. >> thank you very much, dana bash. i appreciate it. when we come back, can donald trump still stage a comeback? what would it take for him to turn things around with just 15 days to go? ♪ ♪ approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five,
12:22 am
but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions.
12:23 am
unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪
12:24 am
12:25 am
donald trump telling supporters in florida today that he believes he is winning the race, but cnn's new national poll shows him trailing hillary clinton by five points. can he turn things around. here to cuss is kayleigh menany, a trump supporter, democratic strategist, paris denard who is backing trump and matt louis, contributor to daily caller. hello. welcome. paris, you first. donald trump's immigration
12:26 am
policy has been at the forefront of his campaign. this is what he told cnbc in 2012. >> you have people in the country for 20 years. they've done wonderfully, they've gone to school and been productive. now we are supposed to send them out of the country and i don't believe that, michelle. i don't believe in a lot of things being said. >> he is saying he doesn't believe in deportation of nonviolent immigrants. what changed, paris? >> you know, i think at the end of the day mr. trump is talking about -- he decided to raise the issue it not only illegal immigration but the illegal immigrants here that are committing a lot of crime. that's been his focus throughout the campaign, from the early start of the campaign when you had the african-american gentleman whose son was killed by an illegal immigrant that was here in the country. he has gone across the country doing that. so the immigration issue is broad, and the imgags issue is very delicate. he said he would deal with the issue with respect and not just toss people out and break up
12:27 am
families. so it is a process. >> you didn't explain the flip-flop. >> listen, i can't explain to you what changed in what he said. what i will say is there's many dimensions to immigration and many dimensions to illegal immigration reform. he is starting to focus on the criminal aspects of what is going on with the people coming into the country illegal. >> do you guys -- maria, you are shaking your head no. >> that's not the way he started. the very first day he announced his campaign he started by demonizing mexican immigrants, calling them rapists and criminals. he went on to talk about a deportation force. he was very clear and we have recordings that prove this, that say that all of the 11 million undocumented immigrants that are here have got to leave. he said many times, they have to go. they have to go. he said it to anderson, he said it to dana, he said it to don, to wolf. he said it to every journalist that would listen.
12:28 am
the 11 million undocumented immigrants have to go. so what that tells me from the 2012 recording that we just heard is that he saw this simply as a political opportunity. >> okay. >> he knew by talking about this he would get the kind of support on the right that he would need in order to get the nomination. >> kaylee, how do you explain the change? >> first i just have to say that, you know, hearing clinton supporter talk about political opportunity i have a few words for you, tpp, gold standard, now it is bad. same sex marriage, there was an evolution on that. >> how do you explain this one? >> there are far more ul clinton 180s. >> i understand we can't talk about clinton even though she is in the race. >> we will talk about clinton. >> i get to bring up clinton's flip-flops after i explain trump's? >> no, you may not. if there's a tape of her flip-flopping, we would play it and ask your opinion. this is a tape of donald trump flp flopping on immigration.
12:29 am
how do you explain? >> dl are lots of flip-flops. look it up on youtube. >> she can't explain it. >> i can. >> obviously not. >> i think it is unfair we can't bring up clinton flip-flops. >> because we're not talking about hillary clinton. >> i think you have to talk about donald trump. he explained how her child was lost at the hands of an illegal immigrant. donald trump stood by mention cal president and said there are good, illegal immigrants here that contribute to society. that being said, the cost is too high when we lose one american citizen at the hand of an illegal imgrant and we've lost hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. so that's the explanation of what changed. >> that's a very good answer, kayleigh. why didn't you say anti-the beginning? >> i have to make it tough on you, don. >> all right. matt, does that explain? people, politicians do evolve and they do change their positions. is that unusual? >> look, this is a con job. donald trump conned the republican party. >> exactly. >> -- to get the nomination. this was 2012.
12:30 am
this isn't ancient history. this is 2012. he sounds exactly like donald trump with all of his verbal ticks and, you know, just the mannerisms and the rhetoric except he is saying the exact opposite thing. he is like 66 years old at this point, too. it is not like he's 20 and he changed his mind. but, you know, remember he said mitt romney was too harsh. this is not a surprise. he said mitt romney was too harsh with the self-deportation. he criticized pat buchanan for being too harsh and anti-semitic. >> you're saying it is political expediency? >> i'm saying he is a phoney and conned the republican party and flip-flopped on almost everything. >> on saturday donald trump campaigned, the campaign advertised a big speech in getties berg. let's listen to what he said. >> they're trying to poison the mind of the american voter. every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign.
12:31 am
total fabrication. the events never happened, never. all of these liars will be sued after the election is over. but a simple phone call placed to the biggest newspapers or television networks gets them wall-to-wall coverage with virtually no fact checking whatsoever. >> so, matt, back to you. by most accounts he went on after that to give a pretty good speech about policy and what he planned to do. but by starting with this, did he sort of just feed into the, you know, stepping on his own message and did he miss a big opportunity here? >> absolutely. he gave that speech, i think there were 16 or 17 days left in the campaign. every single news cycle is precious. when you're rolling out a substantive policy proposal -- >> at gettysburg.
12:32 am
>> and gettysburg. so they had all of the media hooks or gimmicks, whatever you want to call it to get the press to pay attention. we do it at gettysburg, we hype it as a contract for america. we have newt gingrich go out and say pay attention to this. it is one of the best speeches in the history of mankind. and when you want the press to pay attention to something that's very substantive, very policy-driven, you can't dangle anything -- any other shiny objects in front of the media. you have to just talk about things like term limits, things like building the wall, things like ending tpp, all of those, you know, sort of populous things he wants to do that i think would be kind of popular with the american public. instead he spends the first, you know, 12 or 15 minutes talking about suing women, thus guaranteeing that that will, number one, be the headline and, number two, that he will inject once again this story line about his treatment of women back into the press. >> kayleigh, you know, he says
12:33 am
he is going to sue the women, right, after the election? so if he does, do you think that there's some concern that he will be distracted, you know, with at least 11 lawsuits after he is president or during presidency? >> no, because i think he will put the country first if he is president and put it aside. look, if any of this -- >> do you think he stepped on his message? >> no, because, look, if any of us on the panel were accused of doing things we didn't do, our initial reaction would be i want to explain this and say i didn't do that and, yeah, threaten to sue the person for deaf nation. >> you're saying he is going to put it aside, not sue the women? >> i think if he's president of the united states, yes, i think the country comes first and it would be a huge distraction to have a myriad of lawsuits on the side. if he's not president, of course, if these women defamed his character he needs to pursue it. >> why not put it aside? running for president is a big deal, stopping hillary clinton is a big deal, why not put it aside for the good of the country and focus on winning the election and not focus on threatening lawsuits.
12:34 am
>> that's a great tease. we'll answer right after the break. >> that's a great tease. we'll answer right after the break. ? >> that's a great tease. we'll answer right after the break.
12:35 am
12:36 am
12:37 am
12:38 am
back now with my panel, kae leigh macenany, paris denard and matt lewis. you were taking issue with something, was it you? >> i think it was paris. >> it was paris. what were you taking issue with? >> what i was taking issue with is the fact that mr. trump is a fighter, and so the idea that he can't fight back when he's been talked about, lied on, if you have ever been attacked or called out, which i have -- >> about the women? >> yeah, about the women. you're going to want to defend that. the other point, and this is the last point, he has done substantive speeches about. he laid out his 'em graduation policy in phoenix, arizona. he had a great meeting and speech in mexico. he has done it. he went to the african-american church in detroit and gave a good message there, and nobody wanted to talk about it or cover it. the reason he wanted to -- >> that's not true. we covered that. >> the reason he wanted to defend himself is because the media continues to make this an issue so he can't set it aside. you all don't want to set it aside. >> he makes it an issue because he can't shut up about it.
12:39 am
>> and neither can you. >> no, no. >> and neither can the media. >> he's the one thatablies it up. >> he defends himself. >> every chance he is speaking to the public. here is the thing, as a strategy if you are a candidate and you get accused of something that you say you didn't do, yes, you defend yourself. how? >> period. >> you put out a statement and you do one or two interviews and then you shut up about it. >> and let your surrogates deal with it. >> you start talking about your issue. exactly. >> listen, paris, you would have us ignore, you would have the media ignore these women and the allegations in this story? is that what you're saying? >> i'm not. i'm saying if you want to continue to talk about it, he should continue to talk about it because he needs to set the record straight, straight from the horse's mouth. >> if you are giving a speech at a historical site like gettysburg, do you want the record to reflect you spoke about women or reflect you gave an historical speech worthy of gettysburg? >> at a 60 minutes speech, if he
12:40 am
talked about setting the record straight for 15 minutes and the rest of the time he set out policy on his first 100 days in office, you can do it. when you're president of the united states you have to do multiple things. we talk about president obama all the time and he is able to do that and mr. trump is doing that. >> it doesn't reflect on the professional campaign -- zblil 'ask kayleigh, if donald trump says i'm holding a press conference at trump tower, i'm going to run for president, everybody showed up. if he says i'm going a press conference alt trump tower and talk about these women and what i plan to do with them, don't you think the media would show up and put it on television? if he says i'm going to give a press conference to layout my first 100 days at gettysburg, do you understand the distinction? if you want to give a press conference about the women, put out a release. if you are giving a historic speech, shnt you just give the speech? >> i understand what your saying, but i don't think donald trump is going to take advice from maria, as much as i love maria. >> that's why he's in trouble.
12:41 am
>> what i love about donald trump honestly is he reacts like a real person would react. a real person would want to defend themselves if a dozen people, i believe coordinated by the clinton campaign, showed up and made false allegations, a real person wants the defend themselves. he's not going to be a mannequin politician like hillary clinton who releases the press statement like maria says, acts like it didn't happen and shows up and gives a poll tested speech. it is a real person. >> but she is winning. >> part of being a statesman, part of being a president is to subsume your passions. >> exactly. >> and to be -- to say what is diplomatic and appropriate. >> to be disciplined. >> to be disciplined. it is not just an election test, it is a governing question. >> right, and, matt, i know you -- >> matt -- >> there's a maximum -- >> let kayleigh get in. >> matt, i hear you, but what i don't understand quite frankly about establishment republicans who don't back trump is you would rather have, for my
12:42 am
political philosopher friends, a machiavellian president who lies and deceives about her e-mails, she is the politician you dreamed for, but behind the scenes she is misleading the american people. it makes me sick. >> drain the swamp. >> that was from matt. >> if he talked about that, it would be different. here is what is ironic. remember when he first started helps campaign and he would call into shows and tweet and do press conferences, everybody marvelled how he was so good at manipulating the media and every single message he wanted to put out you all soaked it up and put it out there. he was playing the media like a puppet master. guess what? it is now reversed. it seems like he just has completely forgotten how to manipulate the media because -- >> no, he always had kryptonite. >> guess what?
12:43 am
he is not in a position where he is winning and that's the difference between twe he started and where he is now. he's not been able to manipulate the majority of the american people. >> you always have this achilles heel, which was that he has to fight back twice as hard, and hillary clinton figured out how to get under his skin and how to bait him. that's his kryptonite. i would say to kayleigh, i'm trying to donald trump advice. this is sincere. if he took this advice he would win, he would do better had he taken it a while ago at least and it is a political max imwhich says don't get mad, don't get even, get ahead. donald trump -- >> the difference -- >> donald trump should worry about getting ahead, not getting even, getting ahead. that's what he should have done at gettysburg. >> and he should not be trying to manipulate the american people like maria said. that might be what hillary clinton wants to do. >> he hasn't been able to do it. but he can't do it with the majority of the people. >> one at a time. paris, go ahead. >> he is not about manipulation.
12:44 am
>> of course he is, paris. >> let him finish. >> the american people know that, that's why he resonates with them. when you talk about trustworthiness and effectiveness, you know where he stands and what he believes in. >> he is losing. >> secretary clinton says one thing in private to donors and another to the public, that's what wikileaks revealed which nobody wants to talk about. mr. trump will not manipulate the american people. he will stand up and fight for us. that's what we want. >> he's losing. >> his own words, his own words prove that he absolutely was out to manipulate the american people and he's been able to manipulate at least 38% of the american people into supporting him. he doesn't believe a thing that comes out of his mouth. he is saying this because he thinks this is how he won the nomination, but he has been sorely -- he is sorely miscalculated because the majority of american people actually want somebody who knows how to govern, who has principles and has knowledge and has expertise and has the temperament to be president of the united states. that is not donald trump. >> here's the interesting thing. >> she had 30 years to do it and
12:45 am
failed. >> when you say -- i don't know about manipulate the media. you have to remember we're looking at months ago in the lens of now. there were 16 other candidates on the republican side who were on -- who were in the race. there were also other democratic candidates in the race. donald trump simply said yes to the interviews when most people would not say yes to interviews. if there was manipulation, maybe going on, but he said yes. so now he is complaining about the same people who gave him a platform to bring his views to the front. >> that's right. >> which does not make sense. there is a difference between now and then and we should keep focus on that. thank you very much. great panel. >> thank you, don. >> when we come back, "snl's" trump may be trumpier than the real thing. a alec baldwin's brother is here. >> all of the newscasters are making me look bad. >> how are we doing that. >> taking the things i do and putting them on tv.
12:46 am
why do protein drinks taste chalky?
12:47 am
then get worse? introducing protein shots from 5-hour energy. protein shots from 5-hour energy are smooth and tasty, and still deliver 21 grams of protein with 100 calories. they're great for workouts. so great that if you don't get up to fifteen percent more reps, more laps, more distance, we'll give you your money back - period. protein shots from 5-hour energy. great taste. 100 calories. 21 grams of protein.
12:48 am
12:49 am
live from new york! it's donald trump, sort of. alec baldwin's trump giving the real-life candidate a run for his money. take a look.
12:50 am
chris, she can brag about her resume but i'm the one who's got all of the heavy hitters supporting me. i mean i have got the cream of the crop. i've got sarah palin. i've got chachi. get this, i've even got the best baldwin brother. >> steven baldwin. >> so joining me now apparently not the best baldwin brother but a baldwin brother nonetheless, and that is actor and activist billie baldwin. good evening. that was pretty funny, don't you think? >> let's take a poll right now, who is the best baldwin brother, don? >> it is billy. i think it is alec when it comes to -- what he do is funny on "saturday night live." you have to give it to him, come on. >> absolutely. it is really strange. i've been doing commentary since the conventions with your show and with some other outlets and my blower all of a sudden got
12:51 am
thrust into the spotlight with "snl" playing trump and my brother steven has injected himself into this. he had it coming because he showed up at the debate and chose to hit media row. he was interviewed and asked questions. and they asked him directly about "snl" and it was taken out of context a little because they said, do you think your brother is funny? he said i don't think anything is funny about the election, the issues are too important and too much at stake. he didn't say "snl" and my brother alec wasn't funny, but that's the way it was spun. if you hit media row and answer the questions, you are setting yourself up. >> you have to have a thicker skin. he's been on here and i will tell him that. do you think your brother is capturing the tone of the debates? >> he's just regurgitating with a little bit of a sense of humor. he said it in the skit, in that skit that night. he goes, i'm just -- media has been unfair to me because they're taking the things i say and taking the things i do and putting them on tv. they're using his own words against him. it is true, i mean i haven't
12:52 am
seen -- i would say there is a media bias in this campaign. i wouldn't say it is favoring hillary clinton. i think it is -- it is that the media is freaked out that donald trump has come this far and that he actually is the nominee and he actually stands a chance of being elected. i think that there's -- i don't think there's any great love for hillary clinton to be elected, but i think that people are terrified. by the way, it isn't any media that is perceived as being left. this is the arizona, you know, republican. this is the foreign policy, neutral publications lie usa today, cincinnati inquirer, right leaning that are trying to take down donald trump as well. >> he continues to say, billy, the election is rigged. now he is saying the polls are all rigged except for the ones that show him winning. do you remember when he and supporters cited polls regularly throughout the primaries? i would go to do interviews with him and he would bring the polls to me. look, don, we're winning, we're winning. what is the difference now?
12:53 am
>> well, i think there's been stories that broke that turned people against him, thankfully. i get frustrated with my brother steven. i can't understand -- if you are an uneducated white man and sticking to your guns with donald trump, i get it. for women to be supporting him at this point and college educated to be supporting him at this point, if you look at the party protected and defended women, the party that protected and defending minorities, the party that protected and defended the poor, the party that protected and defended the middle class and lgbt community, if you take homosexuality and abortion, you remove those planks and look at the issues in a party platform, the agenda of compassion and the more christ like agenda, if you will, is the liberal agenda. i mean jesus was not a liberal. jesus was a radical liberal. the fact that people are continuing down this path with donald trump is so disheartening to me, the hypocrisy and irony
12:54 am
is not lost on me. i think it is really frustrating, people that have gone this deep with trump that are christians. there's no defense. >> so what do you -- what do you mean when you say you can say you understand why uneducated white men are sticking with trump, explain that. >> well, when you look at-let me correct myself. i don't mean to come across -- there's a lot of white men that are not college educated and he is scoring high marks in that demographic. i can't really understand it because there's a lot of anger, and i think that president obama has done such a terrific job of shepherding us from where we were eight years ago to where we are today, and i think that -- i think that people a lot of times americans are short sighted, narrow minded. they're easily frustrated. they're entitled. they're soft. i look at where we were eight years ago and where we are today and i look at the abundance of gifts and blessing goes that are in all of our lives, and i'm
12:55 am
struggling. i went from having a television series, i was doing very well and making a lot of money and then i didn't work for three years, and i went from major in the black to major in the red. but on the journey i learned a lot and i evolved a lot, and i realize -- i still look at it, you know, all of the struggles as we are so lucky to live in this country. i have so many gifts, and it doesn't have to be financial, it doesn't have to be material. i just have such an abundance of gifts. i just wish more people saw how fortunate we are and how lucky we are to be here now as americans in 2016. >> what's the difference between -- i only have about 20 seconds. what do you think is the difference between you then and the folks who are supporting him, what is it -- and you're a white male. what is different? >> like i said, i just don't think they have the appreciation and the respect, gratitude for -- and even when you're struggling, when i was struggling, when i didn't work for a couple of years, i just woke up every day with a great
12:56 am
appreciation and gratitude for the bounty in my life with my wife and with my children. you know, i just never, ever take that for granted. i think americans sort of have to toughen up and realize we have come a long way in the last eight years. unfortunately, they bet on the wrong horse. during the debates there were 16 republicans, everyone was an elected official except for donald trump. >> got to go, billy. >> they put all of their eggs in that basket and bet on the wrong horse. >> i'm out of time. thank you, sir. i appreciate it. that's it for us tonight. thank for watching. thank for watching. see you back tomorrow. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com only about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. call today to request a free decision guide.
12:57 am
with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients... plus, there are no networks, and virtually no referrals needed. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp... and provided by unitedhealthcare insurance company, which has over 30 years of experience behind it. with all the good years ahead, look for the experience and commitment to go the distance with you. call now to request your free decision guide. . . .
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am
president obama just taunting donald trump with a series of late night slams. that is breaking overnight. and trump in denial about being down in the polls. hillary clinton's campaign now looking to help democrats down ballot. they want to pack the senate. but wait. a scathing new government report on obamacare. premiums set to sky rocket next year. a bad headline for the president may not be good for the clinton campaign. welcome to "early start."

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on