Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  October 26, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

7:00 pm
and that does it for us. what a night. "cnn tonight" with don lemon starts now. >> announcer: this is cnn breaking news. breaking news, you know the old saying, it ain't over until it's over. new polls show this race may be closer than anybody thought. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. hillary clinton's lead sclinhrig down to six points over donald trump, and the whole thing could come down to the sunshine state, florida where the new bloomberg poll has trump in the lead. just barely, but remember, this is a state that barack obama won twice. clinton today, taking nothing for granted. >> we can't take our foot off the gas even for a short time.
7:01 pm
every vote counts. just and my friend, former vice president, al gore. >> you might have heard this, the battle between megyn kelly and newt gingrich. >> you are fascinated with sex and you don't care about public policy. >> me, really? >> that's what i get out of watching you tonight. >> well, now donald trump is weighing in. >> congratulations, newt, on last night. that was an amazing interview. >> wonder if he saw the same interview. meanwhile he tells a crowd in north carolina this tonight. >> 75% of the american people think our country is on the wrong track. that's an easy one to figure, isn't it? we're going to fix it and we're going to get our country back on the right track and it's going to happen very quickly. >> let's get right now to mark mackinnon, the show times, the circus, and mark preston, good evening, gentlemen. a bunch of new national polls
7:02 pm
out today so what do they show? >> in a month of bad headlines he got some good news for this evening any way in a new fox news poll. right now it shows hillary clinton only has a three point advantage over donald trump. now, with in that poll, it shows that trump has a 14-point advantage with white voters, 5-point advantage with male voters, a 28-point advantage with non-educated whites. now, where does hillary clinton, where does she see her strengths? not surprisingly 77 point advantage with african-americans, a 10-point advantage with women and 18-point advantage with those that are under -- voters under 30. however we can't look at one poll as a solo and say that's the snapshot of the race. let's look at the cnn poll of poles whe polls, that cnn has selected and gives us a better idea of the race it. shows clinton has a six-point
7:03 pm
lead right now over donald trump. now, of course this is a national poll, and it includes the new fox news poll, as you can see there, as well. gary johnson comes in at 5%, jill stein at 2%. the race is tightening with the state polls and the national polls hillary clinton still seems to have a pathway, a more clear pathway to winning 270 electoral votes needed to win the election. >> all right. let's bring in mr. mackinnon. in forlorida, he's two points ahead shh we be surprised? >> the race always tightens up in the last couple weeks. there's been a significant news development, which is help to feel donald trump and that's the announcement of the obamacare premiums. it's what donald trump has been saying all along and telling people those premiums are going up so that's a bad-news development that's certainly helped donald trump, but i think also a lot of republicans are
7:04 pm
looking at their options and they're coming home, and also, you have the third-party vote that tend at the end of these r people say i don't want to throw my vote away. >> and democrats usually come home, republicans usually come home. >> and the key for donald trump, hillary clinton nearly has 90% of democrats supporting her. donald trump only has about 85% of republicans. >> let's hear from donald trump because dana bash caught up with trump today at his hotel ribbon cutting and asked him about his fundraising efforts. >> reporter: time's running out. the's ticking. will you write a check? >> i've already done that. >> reporter: specifically to get up on the air to combat the ads hillary clinton is running against you? >> in florida, she has 50 to one against me. >> you have the means to combat that. >> sure, i do. 50 to one and i'm leading. in the old days, you would spend
7:05 pm
mon m less money and you get credit. i'm willing to spend much more if i have to. we're seeing it in florida and other places the lines going into voting booths, going into voting areas, are unbelievable. in florida, yesterday, we passed four of them. the lines were three and four blocks long. those are not her voters because her voters have no enthusiasm. >> reporter: can you be specific how much are you willing to put down. >> no, i've already -- >> reporter: -- put in new ads. >> i've already said how much i'll put in. just go to your next question, dana. >> he was a little bit testy there. it's more like $56 million s.. e is he leading the republicans or not? >> the republican establishment, and senate and congressional candidates on the ballot with him, at this point, you know, i
7:06 pm
do wish -- i think that republicans do wish that in fact he had gone all in, he was able to use some of his personal money and he was able to put up television ads a lot earlier than he has. we haven't seen that much from donald trump in paid advertising. he's done a lot of it just on earned media, doing call-in interviews and what have you. if you are a congressional candidate right now though you have to wonder are you willing to hitch your wagon to this horse. in some states do you not want to be connected to donald trump and in others quite frankly do you. i do think the republican establishment wishes there was more money put in, don, but everyone needs to run their own race. >> and? >> i was the advertising effort of the bush campaigns and guy to the point where presidential campaigns where i believe 95% of most ads finance side wasted. it's not necessary to be advertising, and trump is a free-media machine. in the last report i saw donald trump is spending three times as
7:07 pm
much money on hats as he is on turn-out operations. >> the ground game is important. >> we're going to test the hat strate strategy. in a close race that matters. that's where you get one or two percent difference. >> he's telling people it's rigged and they need to go watch the polls. this is from "usa today." it says half of all voters are somewhat worried about violence on election day or after and today this is what former u.s. representative walsh tweeted. when so many people are so anxious, is that irresponsible? >> yeah, i think it's highly irresponsible. we need a peaceful transition, no matter what happens and what concerns me is in the last two presidential elections, first george w. bush because we had a recount and half the country didn't see him as a legitimate
7:08 pm
president or a lot of them didn't, then when obama was elected and the birther stuff and donald trump, many people didn't think he was a natural-born citizen, sort of handicapp handicapped, and donald trump, if hillary clinton wins, is sort of threatening whether or not he's going to lineup on the results or not and you have others talking about violence after the election so it's very concerning and irresponsible. >> you're out there and mark preston you've been on the campaign trail, as well. what does that do when you hear that, to people who show up? >> it enranges them. we've seen donald trump takes the stage and encourage this type of stuff. we've seen democrats, as well, through the videos that were taken they in fact try to insight some of this themselves but that's at a very, very small level and quite frankly didn't really make a mark. however, when you see somebody like that former congressman come out and say something like that, it really does say something about where we are
7:09 pm
right now as a nailtion and the fact of the matter is there is so much hatred and anger towards washington because i don't feel like anyone gets anything done and these folks in many ways, they should be -- they feel like they've been left behind and they don't think that washington is really representing them. that's where i think you're seeing most of trump's support come from. >> mark both of you -- you wanted to say something? >> it's just playing on peoples' fears and there are no facts to back it up. there is no voter fraud. there's 33 cases. still around we have a lot more. the gold star father bashed by donald trump takes to the campaign trails today. could he be hillary clinton's strongest supporter? . i wanted to know who i am and where i came from. i did my ancestrydna and i couldn't wait to get my pie chart. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know more about my native american heritage.
7:10 pm
it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com. (ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) woman snoring
7:11 pm
take the roar out of snore. yet another innovation only at a sleep number store. you found the perfect car foi'm a robot!s.com yeti rawr ♪ jingle bells tents up guys. and used cars.com to find a place to service it at a fair price, too. signal, signal hey guys, how's it going? that's not even music. ♪ now when you're ready, you can sell your old car and find your new one all on cars.com you know us for shopping, and now we're there for every turn. cars.com
7:12 pm
7:13 pm
donald trump campaigning tonight in north carolina, and laying out a plan that he calls a new deal for black america. black with me now, mark mckinnon and mr. thepreston. trump gave a speech to revitalize the inner cities. listen to this. >> we will also police our streets. have to make our streets safe. i want every poor african-american child to be able to walk down the street? peace and not be scared and not be hurt. the problem is not the presence of police, but the absence of police. we need really a great group of people to keep you safe, to keep us all safe. the war on police urged on by my
7:14 pm
rival is really reckless. what's happening is reckless and dangerous and puts african-american lives at risk and all you have to do is look at the statistics and you see what's happening. we must work with our police not against them. we're going to work together. >> mark, there has been an ongoing debate about what these speeches are really about, who he's targeting when he talks about the inner cities and police like that. who is it? >> you know, i think donald trump thinks he's targeting everybody in those but that's a very difficult speech to give in the sense he's sending two messages and when you put them together they sound like a great thing to do but it's very, very complicated. if you go back to 2013 and you look at what the republican party did with the autopsy and they realized they had to reach out to african-americans and latinos, and they, you know, trotted the republican national committee to put some money behind it in the field, you can
7:15 pm
do that in neighborhoods, when you have a portion of the republican party, on an immigration plan that is not going to be accepted by hispanics let alone by a majority of the country because it's difficult to reach out to these constituencies and we should know that donald trump has given similar speeches in the past but he's given to all-white audiences. not sure if he's trying to bring over black voters or soothe any fears and my question whether he has racial tendencies or not. >> mark mackinnomackinnon, it's kr cringe worthy. >> he says it if there's some sort of shared experience. i think that's not going to get a good reaction in the communities he's talking about. >> yeah, why doesn't he understand that, or his folks do you think understand that when he speaks that way about -- especially you know when he says that i want every poor
7:16 pm
african-american child? >> i think he -- i think in his own heart feels is genuine but that's just -- he doesn't -- he doesn't have enough experience to know that's not how you talk, that's not how you interact and hasn't been in the community enough to understand that. >> it's actually really, really awful. >> right. >> it's really terrible. >> and may have just the opposite effect. so he's been kind of tone deaf when it comes to his criticism of people of all kinds and his attacks on khan. he was out on the trail for hillary clinton today campaigning in virginia. listen to this. >> this election, we are going to select american values and i have no hesitation, i will say it a million times because you-all have given me the courage by your example toll speak when the time comes, get up and stand up and speak i will
7:17 pm
say this cross road is american values that represented by secretary clinton, and un-american hate and division represented by donald trump. >> is there a more effective lady, or someone who has lost their child on a war? >> that was such a powerful moment at the convention, and because it was authentic, this was not a politician, this was a real human being, who lost a loved one, unscripted from the heart. >> uh-huh. >> and showing his grief. >> yeah. >> mark preston, can you compare the surrogates hillary clinton has to the surrogates donald trump has out on the trail and what it means in terms of galvanizing and turning out voters because that's really now you need to turnout voters. >> it's not comparable at all. the fact of the matter is donald trump, in his campaign, he's alienated so many people in the
7:18 pm
republican party that could potentially work on his behalf. him and speaker ryan don't even speak, which is amazing, right, because they both want to see a republican-controlled congress and a republican white house, but if you look who hillary clinton has, barack obama on the campaign trail, as you noted, michelle obama, who will be with hillary clinton for the first time in north carolina tomorrow, whose been an amazing surrogate. you've seen bernie sanders, her opponent, out there. elizabeth warren, a very good surrogate, as well. you're talking about folks who can reach out to different constituencies not only in their own party. joe biden who is doing blue collar worker outreach in pennsylvania and ohio, and donald trump, his surrogates are his children and they're pretty good but don't rise to the level, and rudy giuliani, who has gone off the reels the past couple months. >> and for any grieving period you have to honor the grieving. you're disrespecting the sacrifice that person made.
7:19 pm
>> yeah, i want to ask you, mark mackinnon, this is an amazing about-face about jason chafits. he unendorsed donald trump. >> i can no longer endorse donald trump for president. there's no way i vote for hillary clinton, but these are abhorrent, they are wrong, to use a baseball metaphor, i have to call balls and strikes the way i see them, probably more compels ing my 15-year-old daughter. really? you want her dad to endorse -- person and the way they're behaving to become the president of the united states of america? i can't do that with my 15-year-old daughter, so why should i do that with the rest of utah? i just couldn't do it. >> and tonight here's what he tweeted. he says, i will not defend or endorse donald trump, but i am voting for him.
7:20 pm
hrc is that bad. hrc is bad for the usa. so mark mckinnon is the party leaning on him because it's so close in utah? >> gee, this is called politics and he's getting squeezed at home by those trump supporters, and he's trying to have it both ways and i think ultimately, when you try and have it both ways voters see through it and you don't have any way at all. >> does any -- i guess -- do people stand on principle anymore? i hear people say the most horrible things about someone and all the sudden they're best buddies. >> you think somebody takes a principle stand like ted cruz there, and you say maybe there is some principal there, andle . what's up on the circus? >> the circus, we're going to focus a lot on what it takes and we're going to do it through the lens of joe biden.
7:21 pm
joe biden's run a couple times. he knows more than anybody arguably about what it takes to run for president so we're going to take a look at joe biden. >> i was like do you know where he is half the time you don't either, mark preston. >> i find out admit nig at midn i'm going tomorrow. newt gingrich's epic clash with megyn kelly. is it helping or hurting donald trump, we'll debate next. all right, be cool.gue) you got the amazing new iphone 7 on the house by switching to at&t... what??.... aand you got unlimited data because you have directv?? okay, just a few more steps... door! it's cool get the iphone 7 on us and unlimited data when you switch to at&t and have directv.
7:22 pm
maybe... the skate park today? you can make it gr-r-reat! ♪ kellogg's frosted flakes gives you the sweet spark to go all in and let your great out. they're gr-r-reat!
7:23 pm
7:24 pm
we need to be ready for my name's scott strenfel and r i'm a meteorologist at pg&e. we make sure that our crews as well as our customers are prepared to how weather may impact their energy. so every single day we're monitoring the weather, and when storm events arise our forecast get crews out ahead of the storm to minimize any outages. during storm season we want our customers to be ready and stay safe. learn how you can be prepared at pge.com/beprepared. together, we're building a better california.
7:25 pm
donald trump praising newt gingrich one of his top surrogates for his on-air clash with fox news anchor megyn ke y kelly. here to discuss, former lieutenant governor of new york, and former governor of michigan, supporting hillary clinton. good evening to both of you. thank you for coming on. >> good evening. >> good evening, governor. >> good evening. >> i want to start with you, betsy. i want you to listen to the exchange from megyn kelly and the former speaker.
7:26 pm
>> do you knowton wto know why a hard time? >> i'm not defending that statement. >> i'm sick and tired of people like you using language that's inflammatory that's not true -- >> excuse me, mr. speaker. >> -- donald trump -- >> you have no idea it's true or not. >> and neither to you. >> no, i'm not and i'm not taking a position on it. >> when you said words, that is the position you took and that is the exact way people are upset. >> your offensiveness may speak volumes, sir. >> do you want to go through your tapes recently? you're fascinated with sex and you don't care about public policy. >> me, really? >> that's what i get out of watching you tonight. >> do you know what, mr. speaker, i'm not fascinated by sex but i'm fascinated by the protection of women and understanding -- >> okay. >> -- what we're getting in the oval office and the american voters would like to know. >> we're going to send bill clint op back to the east wing because you were worried about sexual predators.
7:27 pm
do you want to comment on whether the clinton ticket has a relationship to a sexual predator? >> we on the kelly file have covered that story, as well. >> i want to hear you say bill clinton, sexual predator, disbarred by the arkansas bar -- >> excuse me, sir -- >> disbarred by the arkansas bar. $850,000 penalty -- >> excuse me, sir, we on the kelly file have covered the clinton matter, as well. you'll have to leave it at that and you can take your anger issues and spend m tisometime working on them, mr. speaker. >> and you, too. >> [ snap ] >> that was a mic drop right there. hillary clinton has a 20% lead with women, lieutenant governor. does that -- how does that -- what newt gingrich did effeaffe that? >> the republican party has long had a gap. >> how is that? >> let me point out i've had a
7:28 pm
long effeaffection relationshiph meg megyn kelly. i believe the polls show americans are not buying this roll out of accusers and this bigger theme of man shaming and they want to get to the real issues, and the latest fox poll shows it very well, for example, 13 -- trump is up 13% over hillary clinton nationwide with independent voters that includes women, as well as men. >> you think that exchange helped him with women? >> the exchange, it just happened but the fact is what oou i'm saying is americans are watching this drum beat about this sexual accusations and they're saying i don't buy this. i want to hear about the economy. >> i understand your argument. >> i want to hear about terror. >> i want to say you're a little bit off because this teams like he's personally targeting someone who has been targeted by donald trump already. he specifically talking about m megyn why she's obsessed with
7:29 pm
sex. >> it's always unfortunate to watch these things get personal. >> i watch your show all the time. >> we disagree on so much but we've never had a fight. i have enormous respect for how fair you are. >> i don't want people to fight. >> the polls show people are not buying this roll out of accusers. it's just fraudulent. >> governor get in on this. >> 51% of the population are buying the accusers, number one. number two, i just thought that exchange was so disrespectful of megyn kelly, not only was she so utterly professional calling him mr. speaker, sir, and he calling her megyn, and pointing his finger and doing this man-splaining thing, i dear you. i'm not on that side of the aisle but i felt so oveffended r her and she was utterly poised and that was a bullying effort on his part and you wonder why
7:30 pm
trump has a 20-point deficit. it's people like newt gingrich and donald trump, and rudy giuliani, who are coming out with this great bombast asserting these things that are -- you know, really when he tries to divert a way for a what women really want, they do want to hear about whether this person is a sexual predator. they want to know whether that's true or not true. she was simply asking a question and all he did was attack her instead of the issue. >> what he was getting at, and perhaps his style was a little more aggressive than you'd like. what he was getting at is how unfair it is for the media to hear an accusation that has absolutely no evidence and no witnesses behind it, and splash it across the front page of "new york times" or up on a television screen without even telling the public, the viewers and the readers, that this accusation comes with no evidence. that's what happened -- >> with all due respect, that
7:31 pm
was the same thing that folks over at bill cosby's camp said the same thing and you hear what his role is now. >> sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. >> wrong. think of the injustice. the duke lacrosse case, and the uva case. lives are ruined and the truth comes out. >> to say there's no corroborating evidence is not true. in many of these cases there is corroborating evidence in the sense that these women told somebody at the time, or in the case of that "access hollywood" tape, there's donald trump on tape -- >> that's just words. >> -- or donald trump talking about howard stern bragging -- >> those are words -- >> it's his own words. >> those words are not against the law. >> sexual assault is different. let me just clarify what i said, governor. in the case of jessica leads, accuser number one, she went to the "new york times" and said about 40 years ago i was seated on a plane and donald trump groped me. the "new york times" 48 hours
7:32 pm
later published that on the front page. they couldn't confirm the date that it happened, if it ever happened, or even the year. the flight, the departure city, they had no witnesses. they had not one fact before they ran that on the first page of the "new york times." three of. >> and that's -- >> i wrote a piece for the new york post where i reviewed each of these 11 accusations, and they came up very thing. >> that's in your estimation. >> not my estimation. there was no evidence. >> okay. >> the question -- >> go ahead. >> -- i think don was getting at though is you've got two figures in the republican party -- or at least that have been allied with the conservative wing. megyn kelly and newt gingrich going at one another at a time when donald trump is losing women. this does not help his 20-point deficit with women to see the republican party splitter like this. so, i just think that his
7:33 pm
strategy of going after her as opposed to talking about the issues, talking about -- he could talk about whether these women -- whether it was accurate or not, but he didn't. he went after her personally. >> uh-huh. >> what a terrible strategy that was. >> i agree people don't like to see unpleasantness or cruelty and fighting on television. i agree, but getting to the really big issue -- >> we've got to go. >> quickly, quickly. >> as you are have, governor, i was a very early governor of new york, one of my professors of my department. now when i look at the workplace or college campuses or politics i see men are constantly and unfairly put on the defensive. a man can't call a woman nasty. >> yeah. >> but women can make any kind of accusations against a man. >> okay. but also, when women -- women are afraid to come forward. and you can speak to this better than i -- anyone who is a victim of sexual assault, even men, are afraid to come forward because
7:34 pm
they're believe people won't believe this and afraid of being shamed. it's happening, governor grandholm? >> it causes them to think twice about going forward. obviously no one wants to be accused of sexual harassment and no one wants to have to go through being sexually harassed. in this case you've got ten people who have now bravely come forward even after hearing donald trump is going to sue them for having done so because they think it's important to the country. >> it's only whether they're telling the truth. >> i've got to go. >> of course. what's in it for them. >> i've got to go. coming up, trump's troubles with women voters seems to be getting worse. is newt gingrich, the final nail in the coffin on megyn kelly? we'll weigh in next. whoa, this is awful, try it. oh no, that looks gross what is that? you gotta try it, it's terrible. i don't wanna try it if it's terrible. it's like mango chutney and burnt hair. no thank you, i have a very sensitive palate. just try it! guys, i think we should hurry up. if you taste something bad,
7:35 pm
you want someone else to try it. it's what you do. i can't get the taste out of my mouth! if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. shhh! dog, dog, dog.
7:36 pm
you found the perfect car foi'm a robot!s.com yeti rawr ♪ jingle bells tents up guys. and used cars.com to find a place to service it at a fair price, too. signal, signal hey guys, how's it going? that's not even music. ♪
7:37 pm
now when you're ready, you can sell your old car and find your new one all on cars.com you know us for shopping, and now we're there for every turn. cars.com so when drug companies spend $100 million dollars lying about how prop sixty-one will affect veterans... i get angry. sixty-one will help lower costs for everyone, including vets. believe me. not them. vote yes on sixty-one. - i was diagnosed with parin early 2013.lly it took awhile to sink in. we had to think a little more seriously about saving money for the future and for the kids. - the income of airbnb really helped to mitigate the stress. - but we have that flexibility of knowing that if you know
7:38 pm
things get worse, we have this to help keep us afloat. - so that's very, very important for us. newt gingrich goes head-to-head with megan kelly donald trump cheers but what about the voters? here to discuss, charles will op ed columnist at the "new york times," kayleigh macken aeny, a maria car dcardona and scottie shoes, a trump supporter --
7:39 pm
>> is it halloween yet? >> i wanted to see your reaction to that. we have been discussing, as i was with the governor and lieutenant governor, megyn kelly, and newt gingrich, it got pretty heated last night. he, telling megyn bizarrely she was fascinated by sex. look at this. >> you are fascinated with sex and you don't care about public policy. >> me? really? >> that's what i get out of watching you tonight. do you want to comment on whether the clinton ticket has a relationship to a sexual predator? >> we on the kelly file have covered that story, as well, sir. >> i just want to hear you use the words "bill clinton sexual predator." i dare you, say "bill clinton sexual predator." >> we're going to leave it at that and take sometime and spend it on your anger. >>? you, too. >> that was so awesome. megan. so any way. did he really do donald trump any favors last night with that
7:40 pm
exchange? >> yes, he did. and first i want to say i appreciate megyn kelly a lot as a journalist. she's done a lot for the conservati conservati conservative movement. that being said, mainstream media viewed that different than we in the media. main strstream media begged us focus on the media, and we're not allowed to public -- >> that is not -- >> we can never talk about president obama, and the public policy. we can only talk about sex in the mainstream media. >> hold it. that is not what he said. if he said you guys in the mainstream media, or you should focus on what have you, he personally attacked megyn kelly, said he was fascinated with sex and he watches her show -- he talked about her specifically he's seen as attacking a women that had nothing to do with the media in general. he was talking about or specifically, so how you can spin it into something it's about the media. >> it's not spinning it.
7:41 pm
he was talking about her case -- >> that's not what he said. that's what you're saying. >> he said you. you interpreted that you personally. >> he said you, meaning megyn kelly. he said i've watched your show, don lemon's show, bryan lemon's show, jake tapper. he said i've watched your show, megyn kelly. you are fascinated with sex. he did not broaden it to the media overall. that's a spin. >> you interpreted that as you, megyn kelly. i interpreted that as you media at large. >> you're the only one in the world. >> i don't think so. >> absolutely not. >> and there's reason the media has the lowest trust ever recorded in gallop history because all things we talk about are things like this. >> you're part of the media, as well. >> i'm not part of the media. >> yes, you are. you're on television. >> i'm not part of the media. >> yes, you are. you are. >> are you getting a check? >> yeah, you getting paid by a news organization? >> you're an opinion person. charles you and i are journalists. >> one -- you're getting a
7:42 pm
check. >> i'm not a journalist. i'm an opinion person. >> i'm not a person of the media. >> i'll give you that. but you're getting a check from this studio. let me say. this i really don't have -- i don't have a problem with somebody being fascinated with sex, but what donald trump was talking about is not sex. >> right. >> assault is not sex, and the -- and the real problem here is that republicans -- particularly people in donald trump's camp, keep not understanding that there is a canyon of difference between sex, which is always consensual, and assault, which is any forceable touching of anybody's body, that is assault. there's not -- nothing sexual about that. >> right. >> and if he -- if megan is asking a question that came out of this man's mouth himself, whether he would say now he's joking about it, he now says he never did it, he says all the women who have accused him are telling a lie, he can say that.
7:43 pm
that's fine. i do believe you have to cover -- if it comes out of the candidates' mouth -- she was covering a lot of things and he went off the rails and this is a man who -- newt gingrich, who also has confessed to cheating on his wife. so what is your face nation, newt. >> okay if you're going to go to the whole idea she's getting a check that makes her a member of the media, we're going to say politician it's. >> you are, too. >> i'm a proud member of the media. that's my background, what i studied to be. that's like saying politicians who get checks from lobbyists make them to be absolutely scum or they get to be the cockroaches a part of those companies they get checks from. we bring people on here because they're experts in their area that. does not make them a member of us. they don't have the same responsibility. >> no, no, no, no. >> you and i do. >> that doesn't make you part of the media. >> we're not in the same boat. i consider myself to be in the med what. >> the media point -- when you're getting a check from a media company.
7:44 pm
>> yeah. >> if you're on contract with the media company, you're part of that media and for people to say the media is so horrible, you're part of this, too. >> yeah. >> the fact we're having to talk about sex and we are talking about ducks and we're talking about -- >> sexual assault. >> -- kitty cats, the issues thirteen days out we're definitely giving a disservice to the emergenamerican people. whether the candidates bring it or not, whether their campaigns, both sides are responsible or not, that's not what they want to hear. >> so why did newt gingrich respond. >> he was asked a question. here you have the former speak of t er of the house -- >> and me the believe megyn kelly -- double -- >> she started with no comment, megyn i would rather not discuss this. >> we have the former speaker of the house, a person who i believe while hillary tells her husband's economics and how great he was for the economy, i tout on the republican congress newt gingrich led. that would be a great opportunity. let's talk about donald trump.
7:45 pm
>> he didn't take it. >> while newt was leading the impeachment of bill clinton. >> he's the last -- that wasn't personal. that was our money. we paid for that impeachment. >> we paid for bill clinton's cheating. >> leave it out of it. >> if we can't talk about bill clinton's past, we can't talk about clinton's past. >> maria cardona. gingrich is the last person on earth who should be talking about this. >> amen and hallelujah. you have a serial cheater, who has been married many times defending a sexual predator for the candidacy. >> you cannot -- a >> and secondly, kayleigh and you and everybody keeps saying
7:46 pm
we need to talk about the issues. guess what. when you have 11 women who are coming out accusing you of sexual assault, and when you have your own words saying that this is what you like to do with beautiful women, because you can't help yourself, then i'm sorry, as a mother of two young children, that is know issue. >> i have to say -- >> it's an issue for the american people -- >> he's been accused of predator behavior, he's not a sexual predator. >> i know the viewers are so much smarter than this and you watch this and every time they go into sex that's what the hillary clinton campaign wants to talk about. they go into sex because hillary loses on the issues. your premiums are up, paychecks are down, you can't afford college -- >> kayleigh, stand by. >> kayleigh -- kayleigh? whoa, i'm the host. i'll talk to the camera. so that is not what is happening here. newt gingrich responded to that question, we're in the middle
7:47 pm
where presidential campaign, where donald trump has been accused by ten women of sexually predatory behavior. that is -- >> for doing what he said he did. >> that is a huge issue and again as i said to you before as someone who is a survivor of that, that is a big issue for me, and people do want to know who they're getting when they're going into the white house and vying for the white house and you're saying this is not an important issue to the american people -- >> don? >> -- hold on -- by saying there are other issues equally important, and this is equally important. >> i'm not agreeing kissing allegations should be covered. i'm not disagreeing there. where i am disagreeing -- >> killing allegations? >> have you ever heard about obamacare? have you ever heard about the economy? we don't do segments because we talk about allegations. we haven't had a segment. >> we've had segments on that. hold on, stop it, please. that is not -- that is patently
7:48 pm
false. >> when did we -- >> three yesterday. >> i just talked about obamacare with mark mckinnon. you weren't part of that segment. we talked about it last night. >> because trump supporters aren't a part of that. we're not a part of that conversation. we're not allowed to talk about they. >> i talked about it three times talking about obamacare. >> that is a complete depletion and we'll be right back and maybe we'll talk about obamacare. who knows. ♪ (ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.)
7:49 pm
woman snoring take the roar out of snore. yet another innovation only at a sleep number store.
7:50 pm
7:51 pm
7:52 pm
. and we're back. so, this is -- both gingrich and donald trump reacting today to what we were just discussing. gingrich tweeted this, for the record, megyn kelly was wrong. i don't have anger management issues. i do have media-bias issues to kayleigh macken inny's point, and here's what donald trump said. >> by the way, congratulations, newt, on last night. that was an amazing interview. that was an amazing -- [ applause ] we don't play games, right, newt? we don't play games. >> the question as you said, he's -- they're saying now that it was media bias even though it wasn't framed that way in the original conversation. i'm wondering as a clinton
7:53 pm
supporter, do you -- are you like yay, these two -- someone on the conservative network and his -- you know one of his number one surrogates are fighting? >> i just think it underscores what the narrative is, not just about donald trump, but about somebody like newt gingrich. the hypocrisy is just incredible when they are talking about this, and then when they blame the media for an issue that donald trump can't help himself but bring up every single time he talks to the public so yes we would love to talk about issues but like i said before when you have this front and center that donald trump put front and center, nobody else; no network, wasn't cnn, wasn't fox news. nobody else put words in donald trump's mouth in the '90s on howard stern show. >> i want that, let me know when we have it. >> here's the thing about last
7:54 pm
night. both of them won. it was amazing to watch this real time on social media, and also here in the newsroom. the people that are against mr. trump, they cheered. they caught megyn was awesome. she put newt in his place and newt in his place. if you were a supporter of mr. trump someone finally called out the bias they thought megyn kelly has had since being the moderator. both sides feel emboldened by last night's interview. >> i don't. they can have their whole dual to the death in the thunder dome mad max situation. i don't care what they do. what's important to me is we do not advance rape culture, that we do not sweep that under the rug, that -- that if -- that there's way that you respond to -- even to allegations, even if they're wrong, at least you admit that you -- what you said to the media by the way, entertainment tonight is part of the media, you were miked up. he's a smart guy, been doing
7:55 pm
media his whole live, and called in being a p.r. agent. he knows better than talk to the media in that way with a mic on. he did that to himself and cannot turnaround and say the media is bias for using the words that came out of my mouth. >> want to play this. this is not the first time he's had a fight with a reporter over sex questions. play this 2012. >> she says that you came to her in 1999 at a time when you were having an affair, she says you asked her, sir, to enter into an open marriage. would you like to take sometime to respond to that? >> no, but i will. i think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to governor this country, harder to a track decent people to run for public office and i am appalled you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that. >> so, in that one, he talked
7:56 pm
about the media, but if -- when a candidate's private life is in the news, wouldn't press be remiss not to and about it? >> i just think you brought up the most salient point by playing that clip. for those of us, scottie and i who watched that for a moment. for us, we remembered that moment in 2012 and we remembered cheering newt gingrich and saying, yes, this should be about issues. this is a national stage where you get to tell the american people what you're going to do for them and it's insulting to the american people to bring up sex allegations. you just made the most salient point i think has been made today by playing that clip because for us it harkened back to 2012. >> those are two different conversations. >> it shows the motivation of the media. >> i've got to go. quick quick. >> that was good for gingrich and helped him win the south carolina primary. >> right. >> and this is the case with donald trump. you were right. the people who supported donald
7:57 pm
trump saw that as i wayin. >> i gotta go. >> obviously it helped him. >> he's up in some polls. >> president gingrich. we'll be right back. support prop 51.
7:58 pm
7:59 pm
prop 51 will upgrade libraries, science labs, and classroom technology and relieve school overcrowding creating more opportunity . . . and better learning for students help students succeed vote yes on 51.
8:00 pm
teachers, firefighters and nurss support prop 51. prop 51 repairs older schools and removes dangerous lead paint and pipes ensuring classrooms are safe for all students. for safe schools vote yes on 51. 13 days to go and donald trump is showing signs of life in the polls. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. clinton celebrating her birthday in the battleground

65 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on