Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  November 1, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

7:00 pm
thank you so much for watching tonight. cnn with don lemon starts now. e-mails, russia, the fbi, that "access hollywood" tape, what could be next? this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. the race tightening in the last week of this brutal campaign. here's where we are. hillary clinton just four points ahead of donald trump. it was five just yesterday. both campaigns throwing everything they can at the wall just to see what sticks, but it all comes down to the character issue, if it does, who comes out ahead. hillary clinton slams donald trump tonight. >> this is all part of a pattern for donald trump.
7:01 pm
time, after time, he's done things not because he thinks they're right, not even because he thinks they're legal, but because he thinks they'll get away with it. >> donald trump has a novel appeal to early voters who have already cast their ballots for clinton. >> you can change your vote to donald trump will make america great again, okay. >> cnn's mark preston, dana bash, and tom foreman are all here. tom i'm going to start with you, because this is where it counts. let's start with a path to 270. what does donald trump have to do to hit that magic number? >> hes th has to look at this g big gap and find a way to close it. what that means out of nevada, he has to overcome the union support around vegas and tip nevada into his column here. he has to appear in utah, he has to overcome the fact evan mcmullin is threatening to maybe win the state over he or hillary clinton. he has to get arizona tipped his way, and has to have his appeal in the rust belt work in ohio,
7:02 pm
and all we're talking about here you'll notice is the battleground states. he has to have that work, he has to somehow grab north carolina and he has to get the big prize down here, florida. he has to tip all of that his way just to get in striking range, don. >> so where does he have the chance of getting those extra few electoral votes? you said striking range, because he's going to need more votes to push him over the top. >> he's still behind. he's got to get somehow over the edge. he could look to the rust belt to pennsylvania where he's been trying to push very hard. wisconsin, michigan. the numbers and history there don't work in his favor, so strongly. they've been going back democratic for quite sometime, and colorado could be the key. colorado could be the key because much more recently, is voter republican. he hasn't voted for barack obama, also voted for george w. bush f. he cou bush. if he could tip this over, he could be over the top. >> that is an uphill climb b.
7:03 pm
what about hillary clinton's path to 270? >> what hillary clinton has to do is look at this map and say i just don't need to lose anything because look at all the ground out here. if she doesn't lose anything, let's say that exactly what we described happened, donald trump grabs all these western states. let's say he gets colorado, this is let's say he gets ohio. north carolina. let's say he even gets pennsylvania, which is a big prize up there that he's been working very hard on. now look at that. he's finally got the lead. he's right on the doorstep. what does she have to do? she has to get florida. if she does, it's enough, and that's why they're working florida so hard right now, don. >> what's the biggest danger for her campaign? is it not winning florida? >> well, it's not winning florida, and it is the thing i think they have nightmares about, the idea that people might simply go soft on her. they might simply not feel the character issue may hurt her someh somehow, or that in some places there may be some of her supporters to say hey look at
7:04 pm
that original number there. she's so far ahead she's clearly going to win, i don't need to bother and if that's the case then she could become vulnerable in a lot of places that don't look vulnerable. >> she needs enthusiasm to get out the vote. turnout, turnout. i want to bring in alan dershowitz, thank you for joining us, the new york times is reporting the department of justice asked the fbi not to pursue cases so close to election involving the clinton foundation, and also checking into pal manafort's business dealings in the ukraine. what's your reaction to this report? it shows that justice department used to be in charge but they're not in charge anymore. they've basically given that up. is that because bill clinton met the attorney general on the airplane? is that going to be the explanation for this? but right now, we have either the perception or the reality of a double standard. the justice department and the fbi can't be refusing to report
7:05 pm
on the manafort investigation which would hurt trump while making the statement comey made about the e-mails investigation. silence is no longer an option for comey. he has two options. he has to make a statement and explain that double standard, or he has to resign. he can't know -- he can't any longer by silence allow his last statement to influence this election. look how close it's becoming since that statement was made. to have the fbi influence the outcome of an election and nothing turn up would be an absolute disgrace to democracy. >> dana bash, this seems to back up what the clinton campaign says there's double standard, the fbi has been reporting on the so-called miss dealings and nothing has been shown yet, and nothing on donald trump. >> that's right. and this case not donald trump per se, but the person who for a
7:06 pm
short time was running his campaign, paul manafort. you're right. it completely plays into that. it's going to be no question, a talking point already is, and probably will be from the candidate herself tomorrow. the question is whether or not it's too late and whether or not it matters in the eyes of the voters who are for better or worse now hearing about the fbi's case being reopened or reexamined or however you want to phrase it. and the questions about hillary clinton's e-mail server, the questions about her judgment being front and center as we close this campaign as opposed to what the clinton campaign clearly wants to do, as you just see in their new ads tonight, close on the donaldtrump statements that they think are simply repugnant to many voters out there. >> so to dana's point, mark we don't know how this is going to impact the race, maybe this has been done. what's your assessment here
7:07 pm
isn't fbi is facing unprecedented backlash at this stage in the campaign. >> no doubt, don. certainly at this point in the campaign, the clinton campaign is going directly at the fbi, calling into question director comey's motives. in many ways they have to do that. otherwise it would be passive in not being aggressive enough and fighting against it. we don't know if they're duplicates and we don't know what any of that information is. we do know director comey felt he needed to come out and actually announce that they were reopening the investigation and of course telling those on capitol hill it has certainly added fuel, don tork, to the fi donald trump, at a time when the campaign needed a boost in the arm. >> there's no reason why comey had to say anything, at least until he knew whether these were duplicates. he -- what he's doing is he's making the announcement at the worst possible time, and if he's going to make the announcement, he should have said i don't know what's in these e-mails any more than any of you do so it
7:08 pm
shouldn't influence anybody's vote. the way he put it and he said it was pertinent to the investigation, allowed the republicans to say the investigation is reopened, she's going to be going to be indicted, trump says it's worse than watergate and she's going to be busy litigati litigating. it becomes a big issue. >> this is a former report. former cnn law enforcement officials say mr. comey's decision to break with justice department guidelines caused these problems. had he handled the case the way the fbi handled the investigation into the clinton foundation and mr. manafort, the argue goes he would have gotten criticism from the republicans but in the future a larger principle that has gietduided o parties. gou agr do you agree? >> loretta listynch was the attorney general.
7:09 pm
he's gotten far more power. the head of the hib should never be speaking at all. you never had are from investigative agencies. it should be the justice department that speaks. >> let's talk more about affecting the race and the polls. do you want to weigh in before we go there? >> no, go ahead. >> the cnn poll show this is race is tightening leading by four points. last wednesday the polls had her ahead by seven points. so what are exactly -- we're exactly one week away right now. clearly a lot can happen in just a few days and never mind a whole week. what are you hearing from the campaigns? >> that it's tightening, and a national poll certainly lives y gives you a broad snapshot. what matters are the numbers seen in the battleground states and whether it is pennsylvania, or florida, or you know even states that have new attention from both campaigns like wisconsin, numbers are tightening. now whether or not that tightening continues is still up in the air.
7:10 pm
i mean, even republicans they was communicating with as late as tonight say they're not going to be really, really sure how many of an effect this fbi story has for example until it's sort of baked into the polls by wednesday, which i guess is tomorrow or thursday, and then they'll sort of know how to go from there. but even before this, i was told by people who are really keeping close tabs on this the numbers were tightening and i think the thing to keep in mind, and don we've talked about this for so long now, it's actually kind of astonishing how volatile the polls have been and continue to be based on where the narrative is, frankly mostly with regard to donald trump when he's on the defense and he is -- you know has a lot of self-influcted wounds as we saw in the summer and the fall, he really suffers big tile in tme in the polls an hillary clinton is the beneficiary of that and the opposite is happening.
7:11 pm
>> what's going to be -- what is key to this campaign are those early-voting numbers because both sides are trying to get as many people out to vote. what are you seeing in the totals so far? >> don, let's take a quick look of where we are in the early vote. the road it 270 of course has already begun with 24.4 million people, in 38 states have already cast their vote for a president. when we look at the 12 battleground states, that cnn identified, it's about 12.4 million people, a little bit more than that have already cast their vote. let's look at the state of north carolina, as tom was saying a little bit earlier, donald trump needs to win north carolina in order for his path to succeed to 270. let's take a look at three important constituencies in north carolina, don. the first one, of course, is the african-american vote. let's take a look right here. right now, 23% of the vote right now that have cast early votes is african-american. almost 73% is white.
7:12 pm
now, let's look at that number though, compared to 2012. look at the drop off we've seen right there. that is a sizeable drop off at this point, don. so that is not good news right now for hillary clinton, when you're looking at the obama constituencies. let's look at gender right now. let's look at the break down. women clearly outpacing men by about t12 percentage points, which is good news, but it's about the same as we saw in 2012. so they're not outperforming at this point in the other key leg of the three-legged stool of the obama constituency is age, and let's look at these numbers right here. 2016, look at the first two columns here, 18 to 39, about 10% of the vote, early vote, is -- tend to be younger voters and as you can see, 40 to 65-plus. look at the discrepancy as you can see the percentage. and even a little bit more troubling right now, don, for
7:13 pm
democrats is that there's been a bit of a drop off when it comes to the younger vote right now in north carolina, while we're seeing a little bit of an edging up with the older vote. now, older voters tend to vote for respects, tepublicans, tend for donald trump. these numbers are not predictive of what's going to happen but gives us an idea how the political parties are turning out their voters a week before the e election. >> and that's why this is so important, this whole fbi story. do you think you'll see comey coming out or having some explanation especially because of this story in. >> he's a very stubborn man and he's announced publicly he's not going to make a statement that. is a terrible, terrible mistake. the clinton people are in a very tough situation. if they provoke comey too much he will look to justify what he said and that's the last thing they want, ah-ha, i was right to
7:14 pm
announce t i found somethi announce it, i found something. one other thing that's important n populous elections -- and donald trump's a populous, polls tend to underpredict as they under j underpredicted the brexit and i worry as a supporter of hillary clinton, the 4% may really be 2%. >> thank you, allen, we appreciate it. mark and dana, stick around. you'll be the first out of the break. thank you very much. when we come right back, just one week to go until the election and we are still haven't seen donald trump's taxes. more speculation tonight about what's hidden in his returns. and the freshness of springtime unforgettable, wherever you go the scents you can't forget... from herbal essences, blooming now!
7:15 pm
7:16 pm
moms know their kids need love, encouragement and milk. with 8 grams of protein, and 8 other nutrients. 9 out of 10 u.s. olympians grew up drinking milk. moms know kids grow strong when they milk life. enjoy your phone! you too. (inner monologue) all right, be cool. you got the amazing new iphone 7 on the house by switching to at&t... what??.... aand you got unlimited data because you have directv?? okay, just a few more steps... door! it's cool get the iphone 7 on us and unlimited data
7:17 pm
when you switch to at&t and have directv.
7:18 pm
i want to take you live to fort lauderdale where hillary clinton is speaking at a campaign rally. let's listen in. >> don't get distracted, don't get diverted. focus on the kind of country and world that we want to help create. that's what i've done. i have stayed focused on one thing, on you, on your lives, your families. the problems that keep you up at night, and that's what i'm doing now because i know the day after the election that's what really counts. and yourself what kind of
7:19 pm
president commander in chief do we need to get the economy working for everyone, not just those at the top? >> all right. so again hillary clinton speaking now in fort lauderdale, florida. let's get to dana cash and maba preston. what message is she trying to send tonight to try to get out from under this e-mail problem? >> don't forget what really matters here, which is you're really choosing between not just me as one of my friends who used to work in politics for a long time used to say, none of the above is not on the ballot. it's a choice between her and donald trump, and in that choice, that she's telling voters it should be her and not donald trump. but you know showing florida, going back to what mark preston was showing with the early voting and issues the clinton
7:20 pm
campaign is having reforming, rebuilding that obama coalition, i've heard from democrats really all day today and yesterday as i've been doing some reporting they've very concerned about states like florida, because of that coalition falling short, particularly when it comes to the african-american vote. concern that democratic -- that clinton campaign rather has not done enough to reach out in the african-american communities the way they should have knowing that president obama isn't on the ballot, and that she doesn't have the same relationship with african-american communities. so that's one example of kind of the problems that clinton campaign are running into, when on the flip side, you know i was in iowa over the weekend and the energy -- and the enthusiasm for donald trump is real. a lot of what's driving that, don, is the enthusiasm against hillary clinton, the chairman there said to me, you know, that he would compliment clinton
7:21 pm
because she's been the best thing that republicans have going to galvanize their base. >> and democrats are hoping for the same thing on the other side with donald trump. so, mark, the election is just one week from tonight and we are still haven't seen -- speaking of donald trump we haven't seen his tax returns and there's more -- there are more stories today about how he avoided paying them. the "new york times" calling his methods legally dubious, trump campaign call ting that speculati speculation. 73% of voters say he should release them. that's not going to happen is it? >> no, probably not. it would be interesting if donald trump does win the presidency, will we see those tax returns and how quickly will we see them. the bottom line is this is one of those issues that hasn't been fatal for them and hasn't necessarily hurt his support. he has his core support right now and i do think it's powerful what dana just said about hillary clinton. a lot of people think that she is capable and qualified to be the commander in chief, but yet
7:22 pm
they have a visceral reaction. some people do to her, and it's not so much their love for donald trump, but their distaste for hillary clinton that might actually drive them to the polls. that's why we're seeing hillary clinton today down in florida, one of the things that she tried to do was to drive that wedge again between donald trump and those on the fence including republicans about the moral character and the moral issues. they released a television ad using his own words against him, r repensib reprehensible things he's said in the past -- >> i want to hear that. >> putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing. when dinner isn't ready when i come home i go through the roof. grab them by the [ muted ] and you're a star you can do anything. >> so you treat women with respect? >> i can't say that either.
7:23 pm
>> that ad effective at this point, mark? >> yeah, well, i think it could be. the question is how effective is it going to be in the swing states we need to be. we all talk about the women vote and how that's designed to get women, and suburban father,s as well, to turn against donald trump. we'll see if it does work. >> dana, tonight, donald trump addressed early democratic voters. take a listen. >> this is a good time to make an important public service announcement. this is a message for any democratic voter who have already cast their ballots for hillary clinton, and who are having a bad case of buyers remor remorse. in other words, you want to change your vote. wisconsin is one of several states where you can change your early ballot if you think you've made a mistake. so if you live here, or in
7:24 pm
michigan or pennsylvania, or minnesota, those four places, you can change your vote to donald trump will make america great again, okay? >> is it feasible, dana? can they go back and change? >> he's right. he's right. it goes state by state. he's kind of mixing up early voting and absentee voting because in some states it's kind of one in the same. wisconsin where he was, you can actually change your vote legally three times if you can believe that, and you see the map up there, minnesota, michigan, pennsylvania, new york, connecticut, and mississippi, you can change your vote. it is legal to do so. so he is right about that, and other states where they do have early voting and even those that don't, you cannot change your vote. so it does go state by state. i -- you know, think it's entirely plausible and possible, but if you're looking at questions that he's raised about trouble with the system, i think a slew of people coming in and
7:25 pm
demanding to change their votes might possibly add to that. >> do either of you notice anything about that -- about the language? because usually they'll say democrat voters, right, because when they're reaching out to democratic voters they use the term properly? did you notice that? no one else caught that but me? all right. any ways. thank you very much. stay with me. >> very astute, don. stay with cnn for all-day coverage next tuesday. we'll have all-day coverage. up next this race is so crazy it would almost be funny if it weren't real life. who better to break it all down, the man behind hbo's veep. they're super concentrated, so i get a better clean. tide. number one rated. it's got to be tide i wanted to know where i did my ancestrydna.
tv-commercial
7:26 pm
the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. it's opened up a whole new world for me. ♪ "w"i think we can finally get a bigger place."
7:27 pm
"hey!" "hey!" "ahhhh." "charades?" "yeah, let me check my score too." "try credit karma. it's free." "check out credit karma today." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
7:28 pm
i am a first responder tor and i'emergencies 24 hours a day, everyday of the year. my children and my family are on my mind when i'm working all the time. my neighbors are here, my friends and family live here, so it's important for me to respond as quickly as possible and get the power back on. it's an amazing feeling turning those lights back on. be informed about outages in your area. sign up for outage alerts at pge.com/outagealerts. together, we're building a better california.
7:29 pm
hillary clinton and donald trump both out on the campaign trail tonight as new polls show the race getting tighter with just seven days until the election. let's discuss with frank rich writer at large for new york magazine and executive producer for hbo's veep. i'm sure your writers at veep never considered anything like this would happen. you have your material written
7:30 pm
for the next three seasons. >> i guess so. we're very glad the season we're shooting in los angeles doesn't have an election in it because who could make this up? i mean really, it's just ridiculous. >> let's talk about this e-mail h situation, huma abedin's e-mails on her computer is not what hillary clinton wanted the media to be talking about and herself either just one week out from the election. where do you think the director james comey, the fbi director james comey has appended this race? >> i think it's sort of shocking. i come from the point of view comy is not a partisan, even though he's a republican, and vain and ambitious, it seems he's made an enormous blunder of the justice department and is going to look like a fool because whatever happens because he just shouldn't have done it. he should have kept his mouth shut. >> do you think he affected the election of 2016, that guy?
7:31 pm
>> who knows. if hillary clinton loses, possibly. and even so, he's so compromised, the fbi in his own career. it's like he blew himself up and i feel whatever he does now, right up to election day even if he came out two days from now and said oh, it was a big mistake and these are e-mails we've seen before and there's nothing new here, the damage has been done. he's distracted people from talking about donald trump and he's, i think, helped depress hillary clinton turnout and some of the figures that you showed earlier tonight should be alarming for clinton people, in terms of her base sort of shrugging off her candidacy to some extent. >> do you think he did the trump campaign's work for them? >> i don't think that was his intention, but we all know and it's been reported that trump's strategy is not to win more voters for himself, but to depress parts of her base and to
7:32 pm
keep them from turning out by dashing any enthusiasm they might have for her. and i think he's -- i think comey has played into trump's plan unwittingly perhaps, but that's a distinction without a difference because the damage has been done. >> we have seen this race frank go through a few cycles where hillary clinton builds a big lead, then it tightens back, then she builds back up a lead again and it tightens back. with a week left, do you expect this race to remain this tight right up until election day or see trump close the gap even further? >> i don't want to predict. i think it's going to be -- it seems like it's going to be very close, but if someone told me that she won on a landslide, i would believe it and if someone told me he eeked it out, i'd believe it. i don't think anyone ins and anyone who is saying he or she knows is potentially making a fool of him or herself. >> let's talk more about what you said earlier about the african-american vote and
7:33 pm
suppressing the vote and all of that because early-voting data shows african-american turnout is down include something key states like north carolina and florida. >> right. >> how much of that is a natural result instead of this whole thing? is that the fact president obama isn't running this time, the first black president, and how much do you think it's real concern about hillary clinton at this stage? >> i think the fact that obama is not on the ticket is obviously has a -- a negative effect, and we saw it after all in the mid-terms during both of obama's terms. a lot of people turned out when obama was on, didn't turnout to vote for congress halfway through each of his terms. so that was always a problem that hillary clinton was going to face. the hope was that she could rise above it to some extent and i feel the other young people, african-america african-americans, bernie sanders supporters, they've not been enthusiastic about her and it seemed like she was really
7:34 pm
make somethi making some progress and it seems to be turning back slightly. >> okay. >> at least. >> i want to read something from your latest piece in new york magazine, the weak republican elites who did little or nothing to bring trump 20 down, and pander to his constituency, ever since sara pal in's anti-obama lynch mob cannot slink away from the harsh verdict trump is no hitler. after all hitler wasn't fully hitler -- fully hitler either when too many men in power gave him a free pass in the 1930s. and then you go on to say, that only people with power to shut down trump were those sitting at the top of the republican party. tell me about this. >> you know, the press as you and i know, as well as anyone, has been blamed for trump's rise and not stopping. there's been a ton of investigative work on trump and the press couldn't stop it no matter how many opinion pieces are written or what's reported,
7:35 pm
the republican party elites particularly paul ryan and mitch mcconnell, who after all are the head of congress, and reince priebus had the ability if they exercised leadership to stop this in the primary to bump heads together, get republicans to unite around alternative trump, do stuff feconventioat t convention, whatever, but they didn't because they were afraid of their own base. now they own it. they own it whether trump -- if trump wins they own that, and if he loses, they own that, because trumpism is going to survive as it has since sara palin and earlier whether trump wins or not. >> frank rich, thank you. come see us in new york, okay? >> i will. thank you. >> when we come back right are some men uncomfort yasable voti for hillary clinton because she's a woman? president obama seems to think so. tokyo-style ramen noodles.
7:36 pm
7:37 pm
freshly made in the japanese tradition, each batch is small. special. unique... every bowl blurring the line between food...and art. when you cook with incredible ingredients... you make incredible meals. fresh ingredients. step-by-step-recipes. delivered to your door, for less than $9 a meal. get $30 off your first delivery blueapron.com/cook.
7:38 pm
7:39 pm
weand sustainability goals asool one of our top priorities.mental i definitely rely on pg&e to be an energy advisor. anything from rebates, to how can we be more efficient? pg&e has a number of programs, to help schools save on energy. when i see a program that fits them, then i bring it to them. with the help of pg&e we've been able to save a tremendous amount of energy and a tremendous amount of money. we're able to take those savings and invest it right back into the classroom. together, we're building a better california. donald trump spending a lot of time in blue states. it's panel time. let's discuss. contributor at the atlantic, corey lewandowski, former trump
7:40 pm
campaign merger, and op ed from the "new york times" and kayleigh mcenany. i just want to you look at the screen there. we're going to put it up there. this is the electoral map. there are six true battleground states here. there's nevada, arizona, utah, ohio, north carolina, and florida. all six of those states go to trump f. a trump. if all go to trump that only puts him at 264. he's campaigning in these blue states. does he have -- what's his best shot of turning any of these blue states red? >> well, the good news is he's ahead in early voting in florida and ohio. you're right he definitely has to turn a blue state. i think pennsylvania's a good bet. the latest polls show he's behind by two or three points. he wins if he wins florida, ohio. i will point out the momentum is clearly going in his direction. he gained 13 points in the avc poll in one week, that's a big deal. when you do that you start to put unconventional states in
7:41 pm
play. newt gingrich has been pointing out there was a state wide election in high school students, 77,000 high school students voted. donald trump won. who in their right mind would think donald trump would win among high school students in minnesota. he did. >> pennsylvania, and ohio. >> and florida. >> does anyone disagree with that? >> if you look at colorado, the public poll, the real clear average shows him down four points. there's the real clear politics average. if you look at michigan, that's where he's been. he's down three on the average there and if you look at wisconsin, where donald trump was tonight campaigning, not just by himself, but as ron johnson was with him tonight, the governor of wisconsin, very popular there. reince priebus, chairman. party unit bringing as what they say is bringing that base home, bringing the republicans home. if he can do well in wisconsin, that's going to help ron johnson and maybe steal a state like that where no one is expecting. >> but no paul ryan? >> paul ryan had a busy day today. [ laughter ] >> before we jump to turning the
7:42 pm
blue states, you have -- i mean you have a candidate who is down in the -- regardless of whether or not there is momentum and shifting or whatever, to sweep every swing state and you're down in the polls, and in most of the swing states you're still down even if you narrowed the gap -- >> what polls have you been looking at? >> i'm looking at the polls that show him down. i'm sorry what are you saying he's not down in colorado? >> have you looked at the abc poll? ohio? >> have you looked at the six swing states we put on the board? >> sure. >> is he ahead? >> he's ahead in florida and ohio, and within two points of pennsylvania. >> that means down. >> in one of those, one. >> there's six of them, right? >> he doesn't have to win all six. >> he's ahead in two. that means he has to sweep all six -- >> no he doesn't -- >> i'm sorry, can you let me finish? >> of course. >> is that okay with you? but i'd like you to -- >> one at a time.
7:43 pm
>> that would be so nice. so he has to sweep all six of those and he still is not at 270. >> he does need all six of those. >> he has to sweep all of those. >> if he wins the romney states plus florida, and ohio. he wins the election. >> if you look at the statistician, who agicarigate, 538 average for instance has trump chances up around 30%. that's a lot better than he was doing a week or two ago when he was down at 15%. the "new york times" up shot average still has him down closer to 10%. there's no question. he has gained some ground. he's back where he was now after the first debate. he lost a lot of ground after the first debate. he's made some of that but it's still worth noting that his chances of winning are at less than one and three probably one and four. >> i want to talk about this. this is interesting and probably
7:44 pm
there is some truth to it. governor weldon says they want to vote for donald trump, al18 dershowtiz, who a couple segments ago said when you have a populous candidate, often underpolled and if you look at brexit, if you look at other populous candidates and the polls are not just accurate, he could be instead of behind to, he would be up three. >> we didn't see that in the primers. in the republican primaries the polls turned out to be very accurate. >> it was different because he was up against donald trump. >> yeah, but we haven't seen that so far with donald trump, is the only point i'm making. >> he said it just this week n pennsylvania, he thinks there's hidden vote for donald trump. this is the former governor, very well respected democrat. he says there's hidden vote for donald trump. if that is the case and we see the intensity very high right now, he's bringing those republicans home, he's doing much better among the african-american community, than mitt romney did, or john mccain, the remmington research poll --
7:45 pm
>> the remmington research? >> real politics -- >> you're choosing one poll. >> donald trump in colorado is getting 27% of the african-american vote and pen opinion is getting 19% of the vote and wisconsin is getting 22% of the african-american vote. in a poll which real clear politics uses for the poll of polls, that's my research -- >> do you have any numbers? >> it seems more plausible to look at the numbers across -- don't interrupt me. >> let's look at this meth logically. you choose one poll. wouldn't it make sense to look at the aggregate number -- >> what's the aggregate among african-american voters? >> i don't. >> okay. kr corey does. >> one particular poll. >> survey "usa today.." >> there's new article, after news article, donald trump is actually under performing. >> which one? >> which news article?
7:46 pm
>> let him finish. >> i don't happen -- gi >> give me one. >> "new york times," the "washington post." >> who wrote it? >> don't give me this nonsense. >> i'm not getting paid by one of the candidates, okay? >> neither am i. [ overlapping dialogue ] >> on that note, stand by. stand by, stand by. 27% of african-american vote in colorado, there's like five african-americans -- >> are you kidding? please. >> there's 27 black people? who are you talking -- >> we'll be right back. at planters we know how to throw a remarkable holiday party. just serve classy snacks and be a gracious host, no matter who shows up. [cricket sound] richard. didn't think you were going to make it. hey sorry about last weekend, i don't know what got into me. well forgive and forget... kind of.
7:47 pm
i don't think so! do you like nuts? i wanti did my ancestrydna and where i came from. and i couldn't wait to get my pie chart. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know more about my native american heritage. it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com.
7:48 pm
(ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) woman snoring
7:49 pm
take the roar out of snore. yet another innovation only at a sleep number store. safety doesn't come in a box. it's not a banner that goes on a wall. it's not something you do now and then. or when it's convenient. it's using state-of-the-art simulators to better prepare for any situation. it's giving offshore teams onshore support. and it's empowering anyone to stop a job if something doesn't seem right. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. [aand i've never seen a rocketge ship take off like this. [owner] i'm lindsey. i'm the founder of ezpz. my accountant... ...he's almost like my dad in this weird way. yeah, i'm proud of you. you actually did some of the things i asked you to do the other day (laughs). [owner] ha, ha, ha. [accountant] i've been able to say, okay... ...here's the challenges you're going to have. and we can get it confirmed through our quickbooks. and what steps are we going to use to beat these
7:50 pm
obstacles before they really become a problem. [announcer] get 30 days free at quickbooks.com back with my panel, i want your reaction first to something that president obama said tonight in ohio. he's imploring men to think about whether their opposition to clinton has anything to do with the fact that she is a woman. >> and i know that my wife is not just my equal, but my superior. that i want us -- i want every man out there who is voting to kind of look inside yourself and
7:51 pm
ask you if you're having problems with this stuff, how many of it is that we're just not used to it, so that like -- you know, when a guy's ambitious and in the public arena and working hard, that's okay, but when a woman suddenly does it, suddenly, you're like why is she doing that. i'm just being honest. i want you to think about it because she is so much better qualified than the other guy. >> what do you think, coffall k? >> i think he's encouraging men to look inwardly and analyze if they have any sexist tendenciet, there's an assumption people aren't voting for clinton because of her gender and men say do i want the first woman president? a lot of woman i do want the first woman president to be someone who surround federal criminal investigation on two counts? the answer is no that's an insult to have the first female president be someone who is so
7:52 pm
corrupt and has done so much bad for our country it's an insult to have this as the first female president. >> i have heard men, i have to be honest, here in new york city say -- you think new york city is one of the most diverse in the country, if not the world, say i'm not sure that a woman can be president of the united states. you guys have not heard anybody say that? >> it's not even that. turn the globe inside out and put on to clinton all the things that are on the show. if you had a woman, who if hillary clinton was -- was caught on tape saying she'd like to grab men by the penis because she was rich and powerful and would still be in the race and competitive if you believe that's true there is no sexism. if you had a woman who is in charge of a real estate dynasty, and had been sued for racial discrimination, and a pattern of discrimination, found to have a pattern sued once by the justice department, if that person was competitive, that is sexist.
7:53 pm
or if you have a person who has no governmental experience really, and has said all sorts of horrible experience that underline the fact they have no sense, no concept what foreign policy even means and if that person would be competitive, there is no sexism, but maybe it is not her, it is him and he's still competitive, maybe there is something to be said. >> if you look at hillary clinton's resume, right, you may not like her, maybe you don't like her policies, but she's a very qualified person and her political qualifications, by far surpass donald trump. >> sure. >> if the qualification is we need someone who understands washington, d.c. that's been part of the system for 30 years, that can go down and make sure nothing changes, absolutely she's qualified. she's been the first lady, she's been a u.s. senator, she's been the secretary of state. there's no question that she has those credentials. the question is, do the american people want those credentials and i think what we see now is the plurality of the american people think the country is moving in the wrong direction. i can give you the exact
7:54 pm
statistics if you like or you can look them up yourself or most people think the country's on the wrong track and what they want is a fundamental change agent to go to washington -- >> you don't think there's any sexism there? >> this isn't about sexism. it's about keeping things status quo and bringing change and what donald trump is bringing is, to your point, they don't want someone with government experience. that's what we've seen, because if that was the case, jeb bush, or some other candidate who's -- all this government experience they would be the nominee. >> but -- but one second -- one second. sexism is about status quo. let's always remember that, that session sexism, misogyny, are about maintaining status quo. >> because we were talking about statistics, it took me about three seconds to find four national polls between 1% and 2% to go back to the earlier conversation, there was a "washington post," and u.s. post poll. on the question of sexism, putting hillary clinton aside
7:55 pm
there's a lot of academic research about how people respond to women in power. men and women, as well tend to respond to people differently. there was one academic study they took two hypothetical state senators and gave them a paragraph about the people and they said they were very ambitious. people didn't respond negatively to the male politicians but responded negatively to the female politician being ambitious. it would be bizarre if there were not some sexist response to hillary clinton or any other potential first female president because we know from academic research, this is baked into the way people respond to women in power including women. >> here's what's bothersome. i've been on college campuses for the last decade of my life and i've seen my peers out earning their counterparts. we're out achieving our male counterparts and when you have hillary clinton stand on a stage and play use her gender as a tool against bernie sanders, oh, maybe you think i'm yelling because i'm a woman. she did the same thing to rick
7:56 pm
lasio. it's an insult to femininism. >> you realize you're the exception and not the role, right? >> i hear this on campus they don't like when you play the victim card and hillary clinton does that all the time. >> we'll see what percentage of those women vote for donald trump. we do know women respond differently. there are academic studies. this is something that's been imperically proven. people respond differently to men than they do women. we'll continue this the next hour. there was a very interesting moment i want you to respond to in the next hour at a hillary clinton rally. you won't believe what happened. we'll be right back.
tv-commercial
7:57 pm
they offer a claim-freerance a smdiscount.. because safe drivers cost less to insure, which saves money. and when they save, you save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call. hillary clinton: far too many families today don't earn what they need and don't have the opportunities they deserve. i believe families deserve quality education for their kids, childcare they can trust and afford, equal pay for women, and jobs they can really live on. people ask me what will be different if i'm president? well kids and families have been the passion of my life and they will be the heart of my presidency. i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message.
7:58 pm
7:59 pm
teachers, firefighters and nurss support prop 51. prop 51 repairs older schools and removes dangerous lead paint and pipes ensuring classrooms are safe for all students. for safe schools vote yes on 51. teachers, nurses and firefightes support prop 51. prop 51 will upgrade libraries,
8:00 pm
science labs, and classroom technology and relieve school overcrowding creating more opportunity . . . and better learning for students help students succeed vote yes on 51. the fbi's november surprise. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. a new document dump from the fbi just one week before the election, files from the 15-year-old investigation for bill clinton's presidential pardon of mark rich. hillary clinton's campaign crying foul, why now, and what will it mean to voters. plus, the candidate who could throw the whole race into chaos, and it is not who you think. want to get right now though to cnn politics executive editor, mr. mark preston. mark, good evening to you. overall, what do early-voting numbers tell us? >> don, you know, the

126 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on