Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  November 3, 2016 6:00am-7:01am PDT

6:00 am
but whatever. >> okay, bye. >> you don't look very happy. >> aw. >> i'm from northeast ohio. "newsroom" starts now. and good morning, i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. it is a fierce showdown. the race is tightening up. donald trump and hillary clinton scrambling to sell themselves and they only have five days left to do it. that's right. you can count it on one hand. both candidates trying to lock in critical votes in places like battleground north carolina today and the clinton campaign rolling out major surrogates again. making stops in crucial states like florida, and ohio. donald trump looking to rev up support with a boost from his own kids. and a rare stump speech from his wife melania. we're covering all the angles with our team of political reporters. let's begin with cnn's jason carol. he's in jacksonville this morning. hi, jason. >> good morning to you, carol. can you believe in just five days to go?
6:01 am
and with things being so close in the polls, and so close to election day, the campaign is really feeling somewhat encouraged. encouraged by the polls that show a tightening race. what they really want going forward is for donald trump, their candidate, to stay on message. not to step on his message. he he's been challenged with doing that throughout the campaign and donald trump in a way poked fun at himself just yesterday, reminding himself publicly that he has to do just that. >> we've got to be nice and cool. nice and cool. stay on point, donald. stay on point. no side tracks donald. nice and easy. nice. because i've been watching hillary the last few days. she's totally unhinged. we don't want any of that. >> so that's one of their goals, carol. stay on point. stay on message. and also still try to make inroads into some of the blue
6:02 am
states. pennsylvania being one of them. melania trump will be out campaigning for the first time in a suburb of philadelphia. donald trump tweeting about that. he says my wife melania will be speaking in pennsylvania this afternoon. so exciting. big crowds. i will be watching from north carolina. the campaign also not giving up on states like wisconsin. not giving up on michigan, as well, mike pence will be there with ted cruz who will be out campaigning for the top of the ticket for the first time there in michigan. also, in iowa. trump for his part when he's done here in jacksonville he's going to be heading to north carolina, making two stops there. carol? >> jason carroll reporting live from jacksonville, florida. thanks so much. while trump stays to stay on message, hillary clinton is warning her supporters what a trump presidency would look like. >> he has shown us who he is. now we have to decide who we are. and right now across the country, people are doing just
6:03 am
that. they are rejecting his dark, and divisive vision. we know that america is big-hearted. not small-minded. we want to lift people up. not tear each other down. >> let's begin with cnn's senior washington correspondent joe johns. hi, joe. >> hi, carol. hillary clinton's closing argument to get out the vote in the, excuse me, battleground states, is sounding much more somber than her campaign would have preferred. though they say they are hoping to get back to talking more about the candidate's vision for the country before it's all over. she's expected to have two stops in north carolina today, wrapping up tonight with an event featuring pharrell williams and her opponent in the primaries bernie sanders. her top surrogates fanning out across the country, including the surrogate in chief, president obama, who was just in north carolina on wednesday, and in miami today.
6:04 am
here's a sampling of what the surrogates are saying on the trail. >> all of you are uniquely qualified to make sure this guy who is uniquely unqualified does not become president. you just got to vote. >> donald trump just uses so much oxygen with what he is -- saying and in how he is demeaning huge swaths of our country. >> our future is bright. but we can't get there. if we choose anger over answers. and if we choose fantasy over facts. >> ladies and gentlemen, this guy doesn't get it. on his sixth bankruptcy, stiffed more workers than you can count and said on national television, maybe i didn't like the quality of the work. well trump maybe i don't like the quality of what you say.
6:05 am
>> today hillary clinton's running mate tim kaine is in arizona. bill clinton is in las vegas, chelsea clinton is in wisconsin. so they're all working it, girl. >> they certainly are. joe johns reporting live for us this morning. five days to go, trump is within reach and a bid to stay on that path to 270 and also on message trump issued this strict warning to his staff. >> we've got to be nice and cool. nice and cool. stay on point, donald. stay on point. no side tracks, donald. nice and easy. nice. because i've been watching hillary the last few days. she's totally unhinged. we don't want any of that. >> joining me now to talk with this and more, author -- and ron
6:06 am
brownstein senior editor for the atlantic. ron, i'm going to stay on point myself. >> yes. >> and ask you why mr. trump said that. >> you know, i remember -- this reminds when george h.w. bush in '92 read the cue card message, i care. kind of reading the stage instructions to the autd jens. look, the last few points in this election, the voters who have moved to make it a closer race than it was in october, are largely voters who are -- have questions about both hillary clinton and donald trump. are voters who may think that -- question her honest and trustworthiness, also question whether trump has the temperament, experience and judgment to success as president. many of the voters are looking more at their doubts about clinton. the goal of the clinton campaign in the last week, clearly is to get them to focus again on their him there almost reminding u see himself, if i can convince enough people that they can envision me as president, maybe i can get there.
6:07 am
>> but julianne, arguably, trump went off message when he attacked the nbc reporter katy tur yesterday at the rally. before you comment listen to that. >> we have massive crowds. there's something happening. they're not reporting it. katy you're not reporting it, but there's something happening kany. there's something happening, katy. >> okay. so that attack sparked a twitter #i'mwithtur, right? was that unwise or did mr. trump stick to his particular script? >> i think it's actually on message. the central message, there's two. one is to attack hillary clinton. and her character. the second is to attack the entire election process. and to attack the media, and say the whole system is rigged. so i think when he's pointing out a reporter, and criticizing her, and he's saying basically, you're not covering what's actually going on, it fits with
6:08 am
the theme that he explodes this entire campaign with. >> i would say one thing the defining divide in this case is the education gap, is the class inversion. the agree to which hillary clinton is running so much better among college educated whites than blue collar whites. 20 points today in both "the washington post" and "new york times" cbs poll 20 points better than college whites than non-college whites. for them many of them the biggest hurdle for donald trump is his temperament. exactly episodes like this. while he does animate his mobilize his base i think he reinforces the problem that he has in the suburbs of charlotte and raleigh or philadelphia, where melania trump is going today. and that is heartbreak hill for him in this election. that's what he has to get over in order to win those big white collar suburban counties where he's at risk of sickly underperforming. >> both candidates have gone really negative. kellyanne conway was asked about it on "new day" this morning. she says her candidate's negativity is more like a man
6:09 am
saying what he means. let's listen. >> i mean, i think people will look back at this campaign, particularly after he wins on tuesday chris and they'll say we totally missed how much america just appreciated, and i hear it at these rallies, it makes me very emotional, how much america appreciated the fact that he and his family made enormous sacrifices to run for president. americans have told pollsters for decades we want somebody who's not of the political system. we want a true outsider. not just to disrupt the place, but to be the voice of the forgotten man, the forgotten woman. >> well, there's a fine line between someone who speaks their mind, and someone who is a bully. and i think the electoral gap that he faces is the gender gap. and this comment can also be problematic, even if it fits with the script, in terms of him singling out female reporter who's been harassed because of what he did, to her -- what he said in previous campaigns, and i think he has a problem with
6:10 am
suburban married women who are key to a victory for him. i think that's another way in which this could hurt a bit. it still fits his message. >> but the polls are tightening. everybody's saying she might lose -- >> race that is much closer and more competitive with more states at risk than democrats expected. it's pretty clear that hillary clinton believes her trump card, as it were, is the doubts about his temperament. that's the message she's gone back to. she wanted to end on a broader message about what she was going to bring to the country and what her real fire wall is electorally, the doubts about whether he has the personal qualities that you want to see in a president. that's advertising on. that's what she's doing the message on and that i think is their core -- their core asset or weapon in these white collar suburbs which are her last line of defense. >> donald trump's core weapon is painting hillary clinton as a criminal. because he also he brought up the word impeachment today. hillary clinton gets into office
6:11 am
you know there might be impeachment hearings started right away and a criminal investigation. >> it's not very subtle. this is why the comey letter played into a story that really started with the convention with the chants of lock her up. it is to literally criminalize his opponent, setting up an argument for his campaign, but even if he loses, i think that's the issue that you're going to see front and center if you still have a republican congress. but -- but i think it's clear that the clinton campaign is certainly not calm and confident and their campaigning in michigan. they are going to many places not giving off the aura that this is locked up anywhere. >> do you guys care to make predictions? >> no. >> i'm a historian. i don't have to do that. >> but to julian's point one gamble they made, they have spent in this campaign $180 million in television advertising in florida, north carolina, and ohio. three states they don't have to win in order to win.
6:12 am
they spent by contrast $16 million in michigan, wisconsin, and colorado. and the time, the personal time of the candidates is comparable to that. they put up big bet on states that are in effect their insurance states and the question that donald trump is trying to exploit is whether they have not paid enough attention to kind of their castle keep and left the door open to try to pry away one of these states where she has been leading in the polls pretty much all year. >> five days from now we'll see. >> yep. >> thanks so much. still to come in the "newsroom," melania trump delivering her first speech in months, but can she deliver more votes for her husband? i have asthma...
tv-commercial
6:13 am
...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece
6:14 am
in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com.
6:15 am
6:16 am
i we worked with pg&eof to save energy because wenie. wanted to help the school. they would put these signs on the door to let the teacher know you didn't cut off the light. the teachers, they would call us the energy patrol. so they would be like, here they come, turn off your lights! those three young ladies were teaching the whole school about energy efficiency. we actually saved $50,000. and that's just one school, two semesters, three girls. together, we're building a better california. we are just hours away from a rare moment this election season. melania trump stumping for her husband. the former model returning to the states for the first time in more than three months. she's been lying low since her
6:17 am
rnc speech was in part taken from first lady michelle obama. but today a chance to shore up support for her husband with pep. sharing what the campaign calls a trump administration vision for families. so let's talk about that. i'm joined by the co-chair of women vote trump amy cremor and cnn political commentator and hillary clinton supporter hilary rosen. welcome to both of you. >> hey, carol. >> sorry about those indians. >> i'm so sad. >> i guess we're not going to talk about baseball, huh? >> no. but that's a good thing today, amy, since my team lost. amy, i want to start with you and ask you what you want to hear from melania trump, since she hasn't been stumping for her husband much. >> right. i'm -- you know, i want to hear what she wants to do as first lady. i think she's a great speaker. and she's a very classy laidy. i know that it's the convention and any time she's been out there talking people love her. so i want to hear more about what she's going to do. i -- i applaud her, because she
6:18 am
hasn't been out there. she has said that raising their son baron is her number one priority. and there's a lot of pressure on campaigns as we all know. i'm sure she's felt the pressure to get out there. but she stood firm and said no my son is number one. that's been her priority and i applaud her for that. >> hilary what do you expect to hear from melania trump? >> well, i'm sure she's going to be the, you know, the beautiful wife and talk about how much she believes in her husband. which i hope she would since she's married to him. i think that, you know, the fact that she hasn't been out there has been because she wanted to stay home with her son. but also because the campaign kept making promises about her appearances that then they couldn't keep, like she was going to -- they were going to have a press conference about her immigration status. or that she was going to deal with her issues that had been raised. so i think that they have tried
6:19 am
to not put her in that position of having to defend herself against some of those mysteries. but, look, these are the final days. it's all hands on deck. >> right. right. i'm just -- because she's going to be speaking in the philadelphia suburbs so she's going to try to woo those white, suburban college educated women back to the trump camp. so what will melania trump say, amy, that will accomplish that? >> well, you know, carol, i mean, you know, she's a mom. she's no different than any other mom out there. yes, she is melania trump and her husband is running for president of the united states. but she's still a mom. and just like michelle obama and her girls, i mean i think that that is -- i think that it's good that she portrays that. the other thing i would say is she's also a very strong woman. like i said, i think they pressured her to be out there, and from interviews she's done and things she's said she seems to, you know, control her own destiny, and she does what she wants to do, and nobody makes her do that. and i think that that's
6:20 am
encouraging for women to stand up and be strong and hold your own and not succumb to the pressures around you. we all face pressures all the time. i think it's really encouraging and she'll be able to relate to those mothers, the suburban women in philadelphia. >> but i do think, hilary, that underlying, you know, people will be watching melania trump's speech but underlying all that they'll be thinking what about those things that her husband said about women? what about those women who have accused donald trump? i don't think that melania trump will bring it up. probably -- but that's there still, right? >> this is a very high risk strategy for the trump campaign because it's inevitable, i think, that when people see melania trump, when news reports come out about melania trump it doesn't matter how classy she comes across, what people are going to be remembering and thinking about is donald trump's words on that bus, those twelve women who have accused him of, you know, inappropriate groping.
6:21 am
his boorish behavior over the years on howard stern. his nasty comments about megyn kelly and rosie o'donnell and women in general, alicia machado. that's what they're going to be thinking about when they look at melania trump. and they may admire her for sticking with a guy who is so obviously misogynist and boorish but really it's going to reinforce memories and thoughts about him that suburban women are not happy with. and so i think it's a mistake on a campaign part. >> amy, amy, and i bring this up because of what happened in new hampshire with republican senator kelly ayotte. right. she's running for re-election. it's a very tight race there and she was on this radio show and she talked about whether she wanted her daughter in the same room as mr. trump or bill clinton, this is what she said. >> i have a 12-year-old daughter -- >> okay. would you want your -- let's say -- let's pass forward four years and your daughter is 16 years of age, would you havement waed your daughter to hear the conversation that donald trump had engaged in with a reporter
6:22 am
from "access hollywood" on that bus? >> i think we all know the answer to that. >> okay. at any point in time would you want your 16-year-old daughter in a room with bill clinton? >> i didn't want my daughter in the room with any of them. but you know, the point of this is that, you know, why would i want my daughter in the room with them? >> so amy, that, that incident is still out there. >> yeah, but, carol, this is the thing. what donald trump did, he apologized for. and we're going to see if the american people have forgiven him. and you know, kelly ayotte, i respect her for saying that about her daughter. i mean, quite honestly, i wouldn't want my 12-year-old daughter in a room with him or any other guy. i mean, that's something as a mom we don't want our daughters -- we don't ever -- >> come on -- >> i don't think she's -- >> we're talking about -- >> my point is, she's not talking about like they're going to attack her. i think she's saying she doesn't want them around -- she doesn't want her daughter around that language.
6:23 am
and i understand that. >> we're talking about the president of the united states. >> exactly. >> what parent would not want their child to be in the oval office to meet barack obama? or hillar clinton? >> do i need to remind you about bill clinton? >> no. what we need to think about -- >> i'm sorry this is what we need to think about. who is going to be our next president? who will we want our -- >> right. >> -- children to be in the room with. hillary clinton is somebody who children will want to be in a room with. following barack obama. so that's to suggest that somehow for kelly ayotte to say oh, well i dis -- i wouldn't want my kid to be with any president that's crazy. >> i disagree with you. >> we want our kids to look up to our president. hillary clinton will be that kind of president. >> no she wouldn't. if she wins she will go into the white house under federal investigation and never in our history has that happened. >> first of all, she is not under federal investigation at this point. we have a staff issue there. but having said that -- >> that's not the case, hilary.
6:24 am
>> -- kelly ayotte will not be able to put her kid in a room with donald trump because she's afraid that what he would grope her or kiss her or whatever? >> please. >> let's not even think about that. >> and she's going to send her child to the white house with bill clinton? i don't think so. i think the american people -- >> bill clinton is not running for president. >> the fact is is that we have two candidates that are the most unlike candidates in the history of this nation. and the american people are going to have to decide. and are they going to decide based on comments that donald trump made that we don't like or are they going to base it upon decisions, and actions that hillary clinton has done putting our national security at risk by having a server unsecured server in her basement and sending top classified information across it. >> there's no evidence that hillary clinton put our nation at risk and that comes from the fbi director. it was careless of her to do that -- >> but you're right elections are -- >> -- about choices. >> both of you. thank you both of you.
6:25 am
still to come in the "newsroom" you've heard them. you've seen them. but will you change your because of them? the bad, the good and the ugly of this political ad season. but first, washington politicians are roiling wall street. topic live at the new york stock exchange with a preview of the markets right before the bell. >> good morning, carol. you think you're uneasy about who is going to win the election. look at wall street. as the polls get tighter between hillary clinton and donald trump and since the news came out about the fbi looking into new e-mails as part of its investigation into clinton's personal e-mail server, we have watched stocks fall. look at the s&p 500 yesterday closed at its lowest level until four months. and closing in the red for the seventh day in a row. so there's definitely, definitely been a mood change here and it isn't a good one. it is becoming more apparent, wall street prefers a clinton win because it could mean a fatter portfolio. if she wins, macro economic advisers is predicting a 2% gape on the s&p 500 because she's a
6:26 am
known commodity. i know it doesn't sound like much, but it is better to expect the market as predicted. if trump wins, those analysts are predicting stocks will tank 8% if trump wins because he's so unpredictable. brookings institution, it puts the losses even bigger predicting 10% to 15% dive but no matter who wins i say buckle up for the day after the election because, carol, history shows it's usually a rocky one with stocks falling 1%. get ready. carol? >> okay. i'll try. alisyn kosik thanks so much. download the cnn money stream app. the only place you can follow the happenings that matter most to you available on your iphone or android device.
tv-commercial
6:27 am
mobility is very important to me. that's why i use e*trade mobile. it's on all my mobile devices, so it suits my mobile lifestyle. and it keeps my investments fully mobile... even when i'm on the move. sign up at etrade.com and get up to six hundred dollars. now that fedex has helped us we could focus on bigger issues, like our passive aggressive environment. we're not passive aggressive. hey, hey, hey, there are no bad suggestions here... no matter how lame they are. well said, ann. i've always admired how you just say what's in your head, without thinking. very brave. good point ted. you're living proof that looks aren't everything. thank you. welcome. so, fedex helped simplify our e-commerce business and this is not a passive aggressive environment. i just wanted to say, you guys are doing a great job. what's that supposed to mean? fedex. helping small business simplify e-commerce.
6:28 am
6:29 am
6:30 am
6:31 am
and good morning, i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. hillary clinton's campaign is more than doubling its ad spending in the final days leading up to the election. the campaign flowing an additional $18 million into advertising as polls show clinton and donald trump locked in a tight race across several battleground states. the rnc is also getting into the game. it's putting up nearly $3 million in its first ad buy in support of mr. trump. but are these massive ad buys, well do they pay off at all? i'm joined by political science professor and negative ad expert johnny greer. welcome. >> thank you for having me. >> thanks for being here. so, you are an expert on these kinds of ads. we've asked you to pick the most
tv-commercial tv-commercial
6:32 am
and least effective of the season. >> right. >> and we chose the clinton ad as one of the most effective. let's watch. >> i'm hillary clinton. and i approve this message. ♪ >> i look right in the sad, ugly face of hearse. she's a slob. she ate like a pig. a person is very hard to be a ten. does she have a good body? no. >> why is this ad effective? >> well, it's using donald trump's only words against him. and it's playing to the theme about -- about young girls, and about the treatment of women. and so it resonates with people and the basic reason it works, because it's not exaggerating. it's a fact troublingly so the truth. >> okay. so on the trump side is an ad spot lighting hillary clinton's deplorable comment. watch. >> hillary clinton called tens
6:33 am
of millions of americans deplorable. >> you could put half of trump's supporters into what i call the basket of deplorables. the racist, sexist, homophobic -- >> so, john, why is this ad effective? >> for the same reasons the other one was. hillary clinton did not, you know, do herself any favors with those comment about the deplorables. and the trump campaign appropriately is against it. >> so i'm getting -- i'm detecting a theme here. so if you use the candidate's own words against them, that's the most effective kind of political ad. >> right. and this is why negative ads are important. because they're providing factual information. they're showing reasons that you might not want to vote for trump or you might not want to vote for hillary clinton. this is information the public needs to know. we happen to have two very unpopular candidates so we can expect a lot of negative ads and for those negative ads on average to be pretty effective if they tell the truth and hit on the themes. >> now for the ads that weren't so effective.
tv-commercial
6:34 am
the trump campaign tried to counter criticism about trump's experience and temperament with an ad called speech. watch. >> it's a movement. not a campaign. its leader, donald trump. builder, businessman, success. doing what others called impossible. donald trump's priority, you. dreaming big. building bigger. united for family, jobs, country, defined by freedom. standing together. pushing ahead. leaving the past behind. changing our future. together we'll make america great again. >> so, john, this is such an uplifting ad. why isn't it effective? >> well, because the problem is it's basically going into some serious cross winds. that is that donald trump is not perceived by the american public to be any of those things. he has very high unfavorables. and this ad is trying to paint a picture that's just not consistent with the evidence. and so, the result is, it backfires. and that's among the reasons why we have so many negative ads in this campaign, because both candidates are unpopular.
6:35 am
>> interesting. so here is one clinton ad that didn't work. this was by a pro-clinton pac and the ad is called speak. and it also uses trump's own words against him. watch. >> you know you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. blood coming out of her, wherever. does she have a good body? no. does she have a fat ass, absolutely. girls 5'1" -- >> if ivanka weren't my daughter perhaps i'd be dating her. >> are you a person -- >> okay. so, the mirrors ad worked so why wouldn't this one? >> well this is really an interesting example, because it is very similar theme to the mirrors but it's presented in a different way and i don't think that it comes across effectively. so, it isn't just the message it's the mess edger that matters and in this case that ad didn't work very well. i think on average a lot of the third party ads aren't very good, because they don't have direct contact with the candidates by law. and so the candidate's ads themselves they're directly tied to the campaign. they know the kind of theems
6:36 am
they want to talk about. so i think this is a really great example that it isn't just a message as i said. it's also the way the message is presented. >> in these last five days leading up to the election, hillary clinton especially, her camp is releasing a barrage of ads in battleground states. and i would suspect most of them are negative. is that a good strategy for her since the polls have tightened? >> i think it's -- yes i think it is a good strategy. i mean, everybody believes that all these ads make a difference. and if you hear them in the battleground states it should be able to turn some voters towards clinton. the problem is it's 4 to 1 ads for clinton now in spending. that should make a difference. but this campaign has upended so much conventional wisdom that maybe that won't be the case. maybe trump's strategy of just trying to get free media coverage will carry the day. but clinton has the money. it's close. it's a good investment, and probably not the time to air positive messages because both candidates are unpopular. so keep reminding voters about
6:37 am
why the other side is so bad, and hopefully you'll get enough votes to carry an election. >> all right. john gere thank you so much for being with me this morning. election day 2016 we'll have all-day coverage right here on cnn. as protesters and police clash outside of a louisiana senate debate, featuring ku klux klan member david duke. protests outside the venue an historically black college turned rowdy as demonstrators tried to force their way inside prompting police to begin pepper spraying students. >> -- for no reason -- >> they started releasing pepper spray. they sprayed me directly in the face with it. my shirt, my arms, my face. >> pepper spraying -- >> in all, six people were placed under arrest. the group that organized the protest protests have excluded duke from attending the debate.
tv-commercial
6:38 am
intense fighting inside mosul right now with iraqi forces enter the isis stronghold. approve this message. i could stand in the middle of 5th avenue and shoot somebody and i wouldn't lose any voters, okay? and you can tell them to go f**á themselves. you know you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. you gotta see this, i don't know, i don't remember. he's going like 'i don't remember.'
6:39 am
safety doesn't come in a box. it's not a banner that goes on a wall. it's not something you do now and then. or when it's convenient. it's using state-of-the-art simulators to better prepare for any situation. it's giving offshore teams onshore support. and it's empowering anyone to stop a job if something doesn't seem right. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. when they thought they should westart saving for retirement.le then we asked some older people when they actually did start saving. this gap between when we should start saving and when we actually do is one of the reasons why too many of us aren't prepared for retirement. just start as early as you can. it's going to pay off in the future. if we all start saving a little more today,
6:40 am
we'll all be better prepared tomorrow. prudential. bring your challenges. explore your treatment options with specialists who treat only cancer. every stage... every day.... at cancer treatment centers of america. learn more at cancercenter.com/experts with toothpaste or plain water.an their dentures and even though their dentures look clean, in reality they're not. if a denture were to be put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria
6:41 am
that still exists on the denture, and that bacteria multiplies very rapidly. that's why dentists recommend cleaning with polident everyday. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
6:42 am
two u.s. service members have been killed fighting terror in afghanistan. military officials say the service members died this morning from wounds they sustained during an operation to clear a taliban position in the northwestern part of the country. two other service members were also wounded in that same operation. . iraqi forces are now inside mosul for the first time in more than two years. troops entered the isis stronghold just hours ago. cnn's arwa damon is with the forces on the outskirts of the city. hello, arwa. >> hi, carol. it was the iraqi army's ninth division that made that initial push into mosul. but the going has been quite tough as would be expected. clashes described as being very intense. they've only managed to move two
6:43 am
blocks into mosul itself. the advance being hindered by the resistance that isis is putting up. by the fact that they have snipers positioned on rooftops. as we have seen in the past, quite often isis will position itself on homes that have civilians still inside them. now the iraqis say that they are offering safe passage to civilians who want to flee from the areas that they have already cleared but they're really just at the beginning of this operation to try to recapture the entire city with a population of 1.2 million people. this coming just a day after isis leader al baghdadi put out an audio message calling on his fighters to battle until the very end, to not allow the infidels to destroy the caliphate. but at the same time, we are still, regardless of that, seeing the iraqi security forces pushing forward. that being said, of course, all of this is resulting in what humanitarian organizations warn could potentially be a tsunami
6:44 am
of people trying to flee. already from the areas around mosul that we were in we've been seeing an exodus of thousands of families, young, old, women and children, all trying to get as far away from the fighting as they possibly can. some women who we spoke to earlier today were telling us that they have relatives inside mosul who attempted to flee, carol, but they say isis fired at them and forced them back into their homes. all of this is part of the great concern that so many have over the fact that isis may attempt to use the population of mosul, more than 1.2 million people, as human shields. and of course the more we're talking to people who lived under isis' brutal rule, the more horrific the stories that we are hearing. one woman who we spoke to yesterday, she's a mother of ten. and she told us that isis enslaved her, kept her with them for a year and a half, raped her, and she gave birth to a baby boy. and she was saying that all she can do is pray that he never finds out who his father is,
6:45 am
carol. >> arwa damon reporting live from inside iraq. thank you. still to come in the "newsroom," it's not just a problem for clinton's campaign. that e-mail investigation apparently causing deep divisions within the fbi.
6:46 am
6:47 am
tv-commercial
6:48 am
man: in cities big and small, newspapers all over say it's time. woman: time to legalize and regulate marijuana in california. man: time to "vote yes on prop 64." woman: it's "better for public health, for law and order and for society." man: "it makes sense to regulate and tax" marijuana. woman: "prop 64 would bring discipline and oversight." man: "prop 64 is the first step toward a rational drug policy." woman: "it's time for a new approach." man: vote yes on 64.
6:49 am
growing turmoil behind closed doors. the presidential election has revealed deep divisions among americans. cnn is learning of a similar rift among the fbi, the government agency shaken up in particular by the clinton e-mail investigation. we have more from washington.
6:50 am
>> reporter: good morning, carol. this has been a toxic year in politics and apparently it's infected just about every part of american government including the fbi where we have for several months people -- >> evan, do you have your microphone on? >> reporter: i do. i do. can you hear me? >> now i can. >> reporter: okay. again, things are supposed to work the way they are supposed to, then they don't. back to 2016 and the toxic year of politics, it turns out even inside the fbi, there have been arguments over clinton and in particular, over the clinton foundation. we know that obviously the fbi has been conducting this e-mail investigation that took over a year but behind the scenes, there's also been several investigations that were ongoing in four different offices, los angeles, little rock, washington and new york, into allegations of impropriety in the clinton foundation. behind the scenes because some agents thought things weren't moving fast enough, they started believing conspiracies that
6:51 am
perhaps politics were at play and back here at headquarters in washington, there was an effort to try to make sure the agents had what they thought they had, that they had the goods to bring some kind of investigation, to make it a full-blown investigation. it turns out that a lot of what they had was based on this book called "clinton cash" published by peter schweitzer, now an editor at breitbart. a lot of allegations in there have not been substantiated. fbi headquarters and the justice department thought the agents needed to do a lot more work. what you have is a lot of misunderstanding and a lot of innuendo as to what exactly was going on. >> evan, thank you. still to come, a rain delay, extra inning, and in the end a dramatic comeback. the cubs finally putting an end to their 108-year-old curse. more on their historic win.
6:52 am
>> reporter: the cubs no longer loveable losers. they are now finally champions. we will take you inside the clubhouse celebration when "newsroom" continues.
6:53 am
6:54 am
6:55 am
6:56 am
the curse is broken. the chicago cubs are world series champions for the first time in a lifetime, ending the longest championship drought in baseball history in a dramatic game seven victory over the cleveland indians. andy schulz live in cleveland. i really wanted the indians to win. that's all i'm going to say. hi, andy. >> reporter: hey, good morning, carol. it's a gloomy day in cleveland, fittingly. it's pouring down rain earlier. they are cleveland tears because now they have the longest drought in all of baseball, 69 years without a world series title. what a game we saw last night. it will go down as one of the greatest ever in the history of
6:57 am
the world series. the emotion for both benches throughout the game, really enough to last a lifetime. show you how it went down at the end. bottom of the eighth inning, davis sent the crowd into a frenzy as he hit a two-run home run to left. it bounced off the camera in left field. check out lebron james. he was in the stands. he was pumped this game was now tied. the game would go to extra innings. after a short rain delay, ben zobrist coming through in the clutch with the rbi double in the tenth inning. he's your world series mvp. bill murray weeps as his cubs win in an absolute thriller 8-7 to end their 108 year world series drought. >> this is what you dream for as a kid. i'm 24 years old. i'm the luckiest guy on the planet. >> i feel like a wet dog. everybody stinks in here. i know i do. it's sweat, champagne, beer, you
6:58 am
know. >> that's fine. >> it's fine. it stings. >> it definitely stings. how excited are you to get back to chicago to celebrate with the fans? >> i can't wait. i'm going on a bender. >> reporter: the cubs gm going on a bender. tell you what, check out the scene last night around wrigley field when the cubs clinched their first world series in 108 years. the place went absolutely nuts. i'm guessing a lot of these fans going on a bender after last night and maybe some actually hung around earlier this morning when the cubs returned to wrigley field with the championship trophy in tow. check out anthony rizzo getting off the bus with that trophy. what a scene. who would have thought, the cubs 2016 world series champions. tell you what, that clubhouse champagne party, so much fun. i have been in a couple of those but i have never seen this many champagne bottles, ever. tell you what, standing next to
6:59 am
theo epstein in the champagne celebration, not a great idea. he was getting peppered left and right. i was trying to dodge it. not very successful. >> why weren't they wearing goggles? usually everybody is wearing goggles so it won't get in their eyes. >> reporter: bunch of the players were but theo epstein was rocking it. he was having a blast. >> the unsung hero is joe maddon. what an amazing manager. we really wanted him to come to the detroit tigers, but no. but i am happy for the chicago cubs. >> reporter: everybody wanted him. >> i know. one more word about being inside that locker room for the celebration. what was that like? >> reporter: it was awesome. just the emotion from all the praye players. they were so happy with what they accomplished and the ups and downs, they were up in that game, it was tied, looked like it could go the other way. i have been in a few of those, i
7:00 am
have never seen the players celebrating as hard as they were last night. i'm sure that celebration is going to continue once they get back to chicago and schedule the big celebration championship parade. >> we were looking at the people celebrating in the bar in chicago. i'm sure they have been on a bender for the last several weeks. andy, thanks so much. next hour of "cnn newsroom" starts now. good morning. i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. the presidential race tightens as time runs out. with just five days to go, trump and clinton using very different tactics. >> stay on point, donald. stay on point. no side tracks, donald. nice and easy. >> right now across the country, people are doing just that. they are rejecting his dark and divisive vision. >> they do share one goal, though. lock in those battleground states. both candidates trying t

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on