Skip to main content

tv   New Day  CNN  December 1, 2016 3:00am-4:01am PST

3:00 am
the inauguration now just 50 days away. we have this all covered for you let's begin with jessica snider this morning outside trump tower with this morning's drama. jessica? >> today it is a return to the rallies that propelled donald trump to an election win. he will start his day off here at trump tower before making his way to indiana and ohio to thank those voters who handed him a victory. president-elect donald trump heading back into campaign mode embarking on a thank you tour in swing state that won him the white house. trump will hold a rally in cincinnati tonight, after taking a victory lap in indiana, celebrating a deal with carrier to keep at least 1,000 manufacturing jobs from moving to mexico. carrier offering limited details on terms of the deal, receiving unspecified incentives from the state, run by trump's vp mike pence. this as trump's cabinet
3:01 am
continues to take shape. the search for secretary of state narrowed down to these four candidates. close trump adviser newt gingrich hammering mitt romney after his high-profile dinner with trump tuesday night. >> you have never, ever in your career seen a serious adults wealthy, independent, been a presidential nominee suck up at the rate that mitt romney is sucking up. >> reporter: trump also facing blistering criticism from the left over his newly appointed economic team. elizabeth warren slamming trump's pick for treasury secretary, former goldman sachs steve mnuchin who made big money off the 2008 housing crisis. >> he promised when he was running for president that he would break the connection between wall street and this congress. and then what does he do? he turns around and picks a guy who had actually been one of the people who helped do all of those lousy mormortgages.
3:02 am
>> reporter: the president-elect's team defending the pick. >> take someone like steve who understands how the system works and how can we go make it more fair and help american workers to get in there and actually change it. >> reporter: capitol hill also reacting to trump's announcement that he will separate himself from his billion dollar empire. >> you've got to be very, very careful on conflicts of interest. sooner or later this had to happen. he's probably not very happy about it but one of the things that had to be done. >> reporter: sending out an unusual series of tweets applauding trump's pledge and encouraging the president-elect to divert his assets, a commitment that trump has not yet made. and donald trump will leave new york around 10:00 this morning to make his way to indiana. while his transition team told us not to expect any more personnel or cabinet announcements this week, a short list is emerging for director of national intelligence, that list
3:03 am
includes dan c orcoatess a as w as fran townsend and mike rogers. she has said according to sources that she has told donald trump she wants to work for him whether it's in the private or public sector. alisyn and john. >> jessica, thank you very much. let's discuss all of this with our panel. errol louis and national political reporter for real clear politics rebecca burg and executive editor mark preston. great to see all of you. let's talk about mr. trump's visit to carrier. to the air conditioning plant today. he promised he would save jobs and delivered on that at least to the tune of 1,000 jobs. what is unclear whether he used the carro t or the stick. he sounded like he used the
3:04 am
carrot but we don't know what those unspecified incentives were. what could they have been, errol? >> carrots provided by the taxpayers of indiana. >> subsidies. >> governor mike pence might have done what many governors have done. try to buy them back. try to give them incentives to slow the pace, to change the pace. let's keep in mind, this is 1,000 jobs that were saved, but 1,000 are also going. it was my understanding of the math. 2,000 were going to leave and 1,000 are going to stay. there is a question about the sustainability of that and, again, who is actually paying for this. >> here's the thing, the argument against it is that you can't call every air conditioning plant or manufacturing plant in the country to save those jobs but you can call some and you called this one. 1,000 people who might not have had jobs in a few months and now they will have jobs. mike pence may be the guy who delivered real things, but they can say they delivered even
3:05 am
before they're sworn in. >> even if it's not necessarily at this point addressing the underlining economic problems here, it's a huge symbolic coup for donald trump. carrier was part of his stump speech on the campaign trail and to be able to go out there to indiana and speak directly to these workers and say i am the reason your jobs are still here. i mean, there's no way that is a bad thing for donald trump. the fact that he was able to do this before he is even sworn in as president, it gets his administration off on the right foot. >> a huge feather in his cap and certainly everyone at carrier is delighted. but remember what conservative its said about president obama when he was supporting cylindra. and that is that the free market doesn't pick winners and losers. if it turns out there were subsidies on the backs of the taxpayers, then what happens? >> it does open a pandora's box because free market conservatives will say you're
3:06 am
picking winners and losers and are you going to do this with every company going forward. if you are a company in some state are you going to say, we're going to pack up and go to mexico. let's see what we can get out of this to try to get something back. but this is really one of those really difficult issues because we're talking about 1,000 jobs that are probably affecting, who knows, 3,000 people, 2,000 people. because you're talking about families and existing businesses in the area. it's a very difficult situation for us to talk in political terms because these are real people's lives. the question, too, is it the carrot or the stick. apparently, it is the carrot but could be the stick. $5.6 billion worth of business with united technologies that own owns. we don't know if there was a threat or implicit threat or something that was said that we'll stop giving you defense contracts. >> how much more can they do this and for how long and it is something that he has today. also, tonight, he's going to cincinnati for this big political rally.
3:07 am
and i think the big basketball arena there and he's going to thank his supporters. ohio is one of the blue states or one of the states that voted for president obama twice that voted for him. it's interesting, once elections are over political rallies feel different. i wonder what tonight will feel like. >> that is an interesting question. there was a point in the early days of the obama administration where there was that he was doing rallies every month. that was the kind of wave that he road in on and he put a stop to that right away in part because he is busy in the oval office. we'll see if this is going to work for donald trump. i suspect that this one in particular might be a way of getting him out of trump tower. he has been holed up for the last couple of weeks just to get him out and get him back in contact with his base and pay off some of the debts to the base that did support him and get his confidence up as he goes into the next phase of the transition. >> let's talk aboutwhat we know
3:08 am
for the cabinet. secretary of state seems to intrigue everyone because there seems to be, at least in the media, this contest between rudy giuliani and mitt romney. >> he's literally creating this contest. they've created the contest. >> if bob corker gets it, that was a head fake. >> they faked us out. >> it's the weirdest season yet of "the bachelor." they talk about this like it is a reality show. they refer to these candidate as the four finalists for the position. donald trump knows how to keep us interested in the process. and i think that's one of actually his great talents as a politician. usually this is boring. it's secretary of state, who cares. but donald trump makes it this exciting process and keeps us sort of hanging on to his every development and every thought. but it is -- >> it's working. >> still quite a competition. again, we refer to it as a competition. it's like a reality show.
3:09 am
>> the suspenses interesting to see how this is all going to play out and the public dance between all of these. >> i like that. >> the strangeness of mitt romney and going out to dinner with donald trump in a very public restaurant and having a very important discussion about basically the future of the free world in and itself is a little bizarre. but you add to the fact that rudy giuliani. i think david petraeus is very much in the mix of the secretary of state spot. >> it could be "the biggest loser" because romney or giuliani is going to end up with this public shaming the likes we've never seen before. >> the confirmation process like a petraeus could be very difficult. nancy pelosi was re-elected as the top democrat in the house. what does the party have to do now to recover from this bruising election? we discuss that and president obama's legacy, next.
3:10 am
i'm victoria alonso and i'm an executive producer at... ...marvel studios. if my office becomes a plane or an airport the... ...surface pro's perfect. fast and portable but also light. you don't do this 14 hours a day, 7 days a week... ...if you don't feel it in your heart.
3:11 am
for millions of baby boomers there's a virus out there. a virus that's serious, like hiv, but it hasn't been talked about much. a virus that's been almost forgotten. it's hepatitis c.
3:12 am
one in 30 boomers has hep c, yet most don't even know it. that's because hep c can hide in your body silently for years, even decades, without symptoms and it's not tested for in routine blood work. if left untreated, hep c can cause liver damage, even liver cancer. but there's important information for us: the cdc recommends all baby boomers get tested for hep c. all it takes is a simple one-time blood test. and if you have hep c, it can be cured. be sure to ask your doctor to get tested for hep c. for us it's time to get tested. it's the only way to know for sure.
3:13 am
house minority leader nancy pelosi winning the election to hold on to her position as the head of the democratic caucus. what the the path forward for the democratic party?
3:14 am
we have errol, rebecca and mark preston. she got twice as many votes as tim rn did. he was the face of sort of where he thinks the democratic party should go, get back in touch with the working class people. he's from youngstown, ohio. he didn't win. >> as always, very good vote counter, nancy pelosi said she would win with two-thirds. she won with two-thirds. >> what will she do differently now? >> she has already given some indications of that. she has brought some younger people into the leadership. congressman who had not been that friendly to her in the past. she has broadened the team and she acknowledged that she and her other top leaders who are all in their 70s, mid to late 70s they have to make some room for them. they have to try like the dickens to make a much better showing in the midterms. they lost four straight elections and lost 60 plus seats since their high-water mark. if she in opposition can do what
3:15 am
brought her to the ldership in the first place which is rage an unrelenting war and find good candidates and get a good message. if she can do that in the next 24 months, she can probably have a bright future. >> she is perhaps the best vote counter in washington. maybe the only good vote counter left in washington. she's a very good caucus leader and she is the personification of why the democrats lost. she's a san francisco liberal. she's a coastal liberal -- >> elite. >> seen as out of touch with the middle of the country. when you talk about the future of the democratic party, mark preston, where is it, what is it? >> obviously, our focus has been 1,000% on donald trump and how he's going to govern the country and the fact is the democratic party is in total shatters. it's not just nancy pelosi but the united states senate and also state houses across the country. >> run by new york liberal. you have chuck schumer.
3:16 am
>> interesting because of his ties to wall street and will he moderate in some places and we'll see what happens. we'll see leaders or perceive leaders of the democratic party meet later this week to try to see who will be the head of the democratic national committee, which has been a position that hasn't really existed the last eight years because barack obama has been president. but that is going to be a very big job, as well. the democratic party, to your point, is aging out at this point. they need some fresh, young leaders in there to come in with new ideas. >> rebecca, let's talk about president obama's legacy or as he sees it. he gave an interview to "rolling stone" the day after the stunning defeat of hillary clinton. he must have still been reeling but he didn't let that on because he never really let that on and one of the things that has gotten a lot of attention for why he blamed, what he said was the cause of the defeat, i'll read it to you. he said part of it is fox news. is in every bar and restaurant
3:17 am
and big chunks of the country. but part of it is also democrats not working at the grassroots level. this has gotten a lot of criticism from his critics who say, buy a mirror. some of this is a reaction to you and your policies. not just hillary clinton's failed campaigns. >> one of the problems democrats will have to tackle moving forward, are they trying to speak to these people who, for the last four years, fox news has been speaking to. so, working class americans, middle america does the democratic party have a message that appeals to them? so, i think even a lot of democrats would say that president obama oftentimes didn't make the argument the way he needed to make it. fox news took advantage of that certainly for entertainment ratings purposes. and also for new s purposes. but democrats are going to have to find a messaging solution in the short term because they need to learn to speak to these people who fox news are speaking
3:18 am
to because those are voters. >> because that's saying, you know, it was what they were told, not what they feel. the president there is sort of saying they voted against their interest. maybe they voted for their interest. he seems to discount that possibility and he talks about the grassroots, errol. you have been the leading democrat for eight years. >> you are former community organize organizers, as well. what happened for america and the things that were supported to build up this core of grassroots across the country. it's a tough loss in this election. you know, 100,000 people across three states made the difference. if hillary clinton had won, we would be having a completely different conversation about his legacy. it didn't go his way. he'll have to suck this up. as we look at thebes inacross the various state houses and across congress, you start to see that. he has not had, politically speaking a great, successful legacy he will be able to point to. >> if they dismantle obama care, there goes that. >> if they are going to
3:19 am
dismantle obama care, the question is, what are they going to replace it with? over over reach, the idea of a mandate. no such things as mandates any more. we saw that with george w. bush in 2004. he thought he had a mandate, not the case. if they overreach -- >> he got no child left behind and a giant tax cut. >> he got a lot done. he got a lot done even though there was ta recount and. >> later. panel, thanks, guys. the death toll continues to rise and raging wildfires. a live report from the fires, coming up.
3:20 am
3:21 am
3:22 am
3:23 am
we are following breaking news right now. a police officer was killed in the line of duty. police are not releasing the 45-year-old officer's name but they say he was a 17-year veteran of the force. authorities are locking down the neighborhood and surrounding the home where they believe the suspect is still barricaded. police report gunshots coming from the home. they say officers have not
3:24 am
opened fire. the raging wildfires in eastern tennessee have now claimed seven lives. several families still looking for loved ones who are missing. hundreds of homes and businesses have been damaged or destroyed. jennifer gray is live for us with the latest in pigeon forge. >> good morning, john. it is still just heart wrenching as firefighters continue to battle the blazes. no wind this morning, so they should be able to make some headway overnight into the early hours. we'll find out today if fema is going to be coming in and offering assistance and the families should also hear today when they could return to see if they have homes left in the areas. a body was identified as alice hagler, 70 years old. we know she has two sons. one of her sons was living with her and made contact with her as
3:25 am
the fires were getting close and then lost contact and never heard from her again. her other son and daughter-in-law came in from savannah and were actually supposed to go to disney world the following day. our condolences are with the family and the family also wants everyone to know how great of a grandmother she was and she loved her grandsons more than anything. guys, it is just continuing to be horrible story here across eastern tennessee. but hopefully families will be able to learn some more today. >> seven families dealing with that tragedy and heartbreak. jennifer, thank you so much. coming up in the 8:00 hour we'll speak to the family of alice hagler and talk about what they have gone through in the last day. >> so sad. to another story now. protesters are demanding answers in charlotte over the district attorney's decision not to charge the police officer who shot and killed keith lemott
3:26 am
scott. what is the latest, nick? >> good morning, alisyn. t this is a decision that the scott family dreaded but that they anticipated. the protests continued last night. they will file a civil lawsuit and keep all avenues open to seek justice for keith lamont scott. protesters taking to the streets of charlotte, some clashing with police during demonstrations that remained mostly peaceful. authorities confirming that four arrests were made. the protests in response to a district attorney's decision not to charge officer brently vincent in the september shooting death of keith lamont scott. >> it is a justified shooting based on the to tally of the circumstances. >> reporter: he did have a loaded weapon in his hand. >> a semi automatic was
3:27 am
recovered at the scene. it had one round in the chamber. the safety was off and the gun was caulked. >> reporter: he was holding a book inside the car, a claim now proven untrue. >> drop the gun! >> he doesn't have a gun. >> chief, chief, don't you do it! >> did you shoot him? >> reporter: scott's wife also heard on video telling officers that her husband has a traumatic brain injury. after police confronted him while searching for another person wanted on an outstanding warrant. >> he draws the gun. he doesn't keep it in his holster or put it on the floor, he draws the gun. he's told numerous times to drop the gun. he then gets out and doesn't turn to run away from officers. he turns towards them. >> reporter: scott's family attorney reacting to the d.a.'s decision. >> we still have real questions about the decisions that were made that day in terms of how they confronted keith. >> reporter: the shooting and this video of keith's daughter
3:28 am
that went viral shortly after his death. >> the police just shot my daddy four times for being black. >> reporter: set off several days of violent protests that destroyed several downtown businesses. a stark contrast to last night. protesters peacefully demanding answers. police on the streets meeting and talking with those marching, hoping to build trust in the community. the d.a. went to great lengths to detail that scott was armed at the time of the shooting. highlighting some surveillance video tt showed scott wearing an ankle holster just minutes before that fatal shooting. it is not distinctive, however, according to the family attorney whether it was in his hand and to the family that matters. john? >> nick valencia for us in charlotte, thanks so much. one of the key questions. was the d.a.'s decision not to charge that officer justified? we'll take a deeper look.
3:29 am
3:30 am
3:31 am
3:32 am
there were peaceful protests last night in charlotte after the district attorney announced no charges brought against the officer in the shooting death of keith lamont scott in december. the d.a. said the shooting was justified after scott ignored orders to drop his gun and he did have a gun, the d.a. said. let's bring in b.e.t. news host and morehouse college professor and cnn law enforcement harry.
3:33 am
mark, i want to start with you. the d.a. made clear that the officer brentley vinson had imminent fear and he had a gun and laid out a clear chain of evidence that he had a gun that was cocked and loaded. if he did have a justified fear of a threat, is that shooting not justified? >> from a legal perspective it certainly is. the standard for police officers is not what would a reasonable person do, what would the reasonable officer do? the question is with other officers under the same circumstance make the same decision. his gun wasn't raised, it was lowered. legally it seems as if there was no other alternative. i don't think you get a conviction on this and get it through courts on this. the question for me is not that but what other things could have been done leading up to this point but this is justified or legal for sure.
3:34 am
>> harry, he thinks the d.a. probably made the right legal decision here. but what other decisions could have been made because people are pointing to the fact that the d.a. said there is no evidence and no witness said that the gun was raised at any point. no witness, no evidence said the gun was pointed in any instance here. >> that doesn't matter. >> at all? >> at all. everybody is talking about de-escalation. let me tell you the de-escalation in a situation like this. it's called drop the gun, drop the gun. the officers said this ten times. i think they said it eight times too many because those officers had their lives in danger every time they were telling to drop the gun after the first time. now, what a lot of people don't realize is if i'm standing there with my gun down like this and i'm a police officer and i got my gun there like that. it only takes me a quarter of a second, boom, you're dead. it takes the officer and there's statistics to this a half a second just to determine what's
3:35 am
going on. and then him letting a round loose. in other words, in a situation just like that and there have been instances just like that before a police officer is dead. and that is why the officers have got to tell him, drop the gun. if you don't. you are getting shot. >> how do you de-escalate if you have given repeated orders to drop the gun and, in this case, scott didn't do it. >> i think raises an important question here. if the gun is pointing downward, that doesn't mean necessarily that it's not an imminent threat, right? again, studies show guns can raise very quickly. but the question becomes before you even get to the point that the guy is getting out of the car, even the act of pulling him out of the car raises questions. how do you deal with someone with a mental illness raises a question. these are all things that we need to think about in the bigger picture. once you get to the point where a guy is standing outside with a gun and you're yelling drop it, drop it, drop it. you're probably in too deep. i'm not suggesting at that
3:36 am
moment police could have done anything different. remember, this is officer vinson's first time doing it. this is his first rodeo. there are questions we can raise about that. i'm questioning the practice here. these are practices that aren't just about this case but about broader cases around the nation. >> one of the things really interesting about this case is how it all unfolded afterthe fact. there were witnesses including scott's wife who said he was in the car reading a book and there was no gun. and that was one of the stories that came out of this. and was on social media. well, it turns out the d.a. says and the evidence he says, there was no book at all. and not only did this man have a gun, but he produced an incredible chain of custody here from when he bought the gun illegally and then the fact that the wife knew he had a gun. so, you have this public story, mark, that really wasn't true and wasn't true from the beginning and affected perceptions a lot in charlotte. >> well, one thing to remember here is that in all cases like
3:37 am
this there are competing stories, multiple stories. some of those stories come from law enforcement. i don't want to suggest everyday citizens are the only people who tell stories that aren't true. the challenge in this case is that the police were so silent about things. people on the streets were demanding more information and turns out they were staking out someone named walter boyd. people were asking where is the evidence of the gun because none of the visible accounts would show a gun. just a year before walter scott shot in the back running away from police and the gun was planted on him. there is a history of law enforcement misconduct where in a moment, i think, reasonable suspicion of police officers have heightened and in the midst of all that police say we're not going to tell you anything. if police want to de-escalate the media, what they need to do is be more forthcoming with information. >> the police saying the d.a. wanted to make the right legal
3:38 am
case here. but there is also a p.r. case that needs to be made. >> police aren't releasing information because they doun't want to release any information that might be bad. in the beginning tngs are questionable. the problem is the violence not because of what the police officers do, but inviolence is because of the false narrative that comes out from these different groups. >> just that -- >> first of all, the wife is saying he never had a gun, he was reading a book. we know that was a lie. we know that -- we know that all they do is talk about de-escalation for police officer os. nobody ever cares and in all the times that i've talked about this, the life of the police officer. the police officer who is facing the threat at that exact time. everybody cares about the purp trarpt. >> we have talked about the risk that police officers face. we get your point. harry, marc, thanks for being with us. the cowboys take on the vikings tonight, but an
3:39 am
important member of the vikings may not be at the game after a medical scare. what went on, more on the bleacher report, next. ♪ (ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) woman snoring
3:40 am
take the roar out of snore, yet another innovation, only at a sleepnumber store. "w"i think we can finally get a bigger place." "hey!" "hey!" "ahhhh." "charades?" "yeah, let me check my score too." "try credit karma. it's free." "check out credit karma today." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
3:41 am
3:42 am
3:43 am
severe weather has just pummeled the south. tornados and violent storms tearing through several states. cnn's chad myers has the forecast. >> this weather is brought to you by humana. we think great things are ahead of you if your health is ready for it. more tornadoes in the future because dixie alley has its tornado season in the fall. and we saw dozens of tornadoes over this week. hard to say much about anything, how good this week could be other than the rain that came down with it. still, the death toll from the tornadoes over this week stands at five. we will see the rainfall, though, help the firefighters. this is one of the beneficial things that happened over the week. almost four inches of rain fell in the wildfire area there in tennessee, parts of georgia and
3:44 am
alabama. more than just the one fire. the one fire that we focused on in gatlinburg got all the national attention, but dozens of fires out there. the rainfall starts here across the northeast and kind of windy today and heavy snow in the mountains up there in maine. good skiing in some spots, i guess, if you're going to be a skier. what you'll notice for the next few days, much cooler weather, john. >> chad myers for us, thanks so much, chad. the injury report for tonight's thursday night football game vikings head coach mike zimmer had emergency surgery on his eye last night and may not be able to coach against the cowboys. good morning, andy. >> finally a great game on thursday night football 10-1 cowboys versus the 6-5 vikings but the vikings maybe without their coach. an injury that happened on halloween. zimmer's status for tonight is uncertain. the cowboys meanwhile can clinch
3:45 am
a playoff spot tonight. zach prescott and company won an nfl best ten games in a row. no strike in major league baseball. according to multiple reports, the union and the owners coming to an agreement last night on a new collective bargaining agreement. the new deal supposedly going to kick in in 2017 and reportedly have some big changes. for example, the all-star game will no longer determine who has home field advantage in the world series. it will reportedly go back to who has the better record. smokeless tobacco will be banned for all new major leaguers and the regular season going to be extended four days by 2018 to give players more days off. so, alisyn, it looks like by 2018 it will end by november. >> the smokeless tobacco really got john berman's attention. >> the idea that the new players won't be able to do it. that's a big change. meanwhile, you have to see our next segment.
3:46 am
they stood behind donald trump through all the ups and downs of this crazy election. up next, a panel of mr. trump's earliest supporters sound off on what they think of him now on fake news on where they get their news. you'll hear from them, next. lyou gotta make a truck heavier to make it stronger, has been workin' too long without a hard hat. meet the all-new 2017 ford super duty. they cut weight with a high-strength, military grade, aluminum alloy body and reinvested a big chunk of it to beef up the high-strength steel frame. forging the most capable heavy-duty pickup in america. time to punch work in the face. this is the next level. this is the all-new ford super duty.
3:47 am
3:48 am
3:49 am
3:50 am
new evidence in the investigation of a deadly plane crash in colombia. anado recording a crew member is heard saying the plane is without fuel. investigators say a lack of fire damage once the flight hit the ground backs up this theory. only six of the 77 people onboard that flight suived. >> my gosh. a historic peace agreement in colombia. lawmakers are proving a deal that would end the deal between the farc rebel group.
3:51 am
lay down their weapons within 150 days. they rejected the first version of this in october. it went to congress for approval. okay. so during the course of the presidential campaign, you may remember that we routinely checked in with donald trump's supporters to find out why they were so passionate about the businessman and whether that passion ever wavered after various controversies. well, this week we circled back with several of them to see what they think of his plans as president-elect. and whether they were surprised on election night. take a look. >> okay, show of hands. who was surprised on election night? none of you were surprised, though so many people in the country were surprised by donald trump's win. >> i had confidence in trump's ability from the very beginning. i never doubted him the entire time. >> paula, were you concerned that the polls suggested that he was not going to win? >> i knew he was going to win.
3:52 am
when you believe in somebody and mr. trump always makes things happ happen. >> what signs have you seen that you think are good signs so far? >> i think all the people that i'm looking at that trump has appointed or nominated have all been top of the class, number one in their field, extremely talented. great leaders on their own. >> very funny to hear you say that. do you remember who you really did not like last time around? >> time to get rid of him. >> time to get rid of reince priebus? >> that's right. >> he is now the chief of staff. all of you said he's got to go. time for him to go. how do you feel today? >> smart move. >> i think it's a very smart move because now he keeps the republicans in check. he knows how to work with them because he was the head of the gop. and now if they want to get elected, again, they need to tow the line. >> now you like reince priebus. >> i like him, but i think it's a good pick that mr. trump did.
3:53 am
>> how do you all feel? do you know much about steve bannon? how do you feel about steve bannon? >> i like him. i don't know too much about him. i am more of a general flynn fan. >> what do you like about flynn? >> i feel like he will be an amazing leader. i love his military background and i think he's strong and he will give president trump sound advice, you know, when to move. when not to be too aggressive and when to be aggressive. i think he'll do that and i think he will be a strong asset. >> he said what are considered controversial things about muslims. he has said basically that he considered it a political ideolo ideology, not a religion. >> islam is a political ideology. it is a political ideology. it definitely hides behind this notion of it being a religion. >> it's interesting to talk to you, tony, about this because we talked last time around about your feeling about some of your muslim co-workers, i believe. >> yes, yes.
3:54 am
>> you had a close relationship. are you concerned about general flynn's comments? >> i'm not. i feel that people do say stuff that maybe they regret at times and then they reflect on it and move forward. and i feel that maybe some of the stuff was taken out of context or maybe he didn't exactly mean it. i'm in support of him and i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. >> but you find those comments regrettable. meaning, you hope that they were taken out of context. on their own, they would bother you. >> yes, they would. they would. to be honest. they would. i don't wantpeoplelumped together in just one category based on their religion. >> how do you feel about the white nationalist movement? the alt-right some neo-nazi salutes that we've seen. what are we to make of what feels like a ground swell of
3:55 am
that with the steve bannon breitbart connection? >> that's been around forever. if you keep reporting on it, it's going to grow like a cancer. if you forget about it, it's probably going to go away. the media has to hop on everything and it's wrong. >> there have been protests. tipping cars over. >> i don't even know if they know what they're protesting. >> some didn't even vote. voting is a privilege and you need to be legal, not like california where 3 million illegals voted. >> let's talk about that. >> i'm glad i brought that up, alisyn. >> me, too, paula. where are you getting your information? >> some of oit was cnn. >> cnn said 3 million illegal people voted. >> if cnn didn't do it, then they were being smart this time. >> do you think that 3 million illegal people voted. >> i believe in california there were illegals that voted. >> how many? >> i don't know. to tell you the truth, nobody
3:56 am
really knows that number. >> do you think three dozen or 3 million? >> i think there was a good amount because the president told people they could vote and they said the president said i could vote. i'm here illegally. >> did you hear president obama say illegal people could vote? >> yes. >> tell me where. >> google it. you can find it on facebook. i don't want to waste any more time. i see where it came from it's fox business network deceptive he said nothing of the sort when you go back to the transcript. you think millions of illegal people voted in this country. you believe there was widespread voting abuse? >> i think there was in some states. >> in the millions of people. >> california allows it. >> do not allow -- you mean voter fraud, california allows. >> i believe there is voter
3:57 am
fraud in this country. >> flag burning and people should go to jail. >> absolutely. >> and lose the citizenship. >> community service. >> absolutely. >> no, they shouldn't but they should get a ticket for starting a fire out in public. >> they need a permit for it. >> burning our flags and yet we're not arresting them and deporting them and they burn our flags. you want to be in our country but you burn our flags. exactly. send them home. i can't wait for the wall to be built. >> what happens if the wall isn't built? if mr. trump doesn't build the wall, then how do you feel? >> i believe he will build the wall, but he will make sure that we have enough border patrol out there to take care of this country. >> that was really interesting. >> it was fascinating. fascinating to circle back with them. i was excited to go back and talk to them because i had
3:58 am
talked to them throughout the campaign so much and i wanted to know where they are today and you heard, basically, the message that i took away is that they are willing to give mr. trump the benefit of the doubt. they are willing to overlook some of the things that have given other people pause because they're excited about his candidacy and about his presidency and what he can do. >> we often ask this question, what would trump supporters think if he goes back on this promise or does something differently? he can do whatever he wants, according to those supporters there. reince priebus they were very critical of during the campaign and now he's chief of staff, the wall, which he talked about in every speech. does he need to build the wall -- >> they believe he will protect the country. so, wall, no wall. more border patrol agents. they believe in his strength and that he will protect the country. >> they voted for him perhaps more than what he was saying there at the end of the day. that was really interesting. also some of the false information they had and said it was news, it was news.
3:59 am
we saw it on cnn? you didn't see it on cnn. >> they said facebook and there is always some nugget that gives them their false impression, but they didn't trace it back enough to see that it had been discredited and debunked. so, that was an interesting thing to see where they were getting the information. you may also have noticed that one of the most vocal panelists from previous interviews a guy named jerry was not there. last spring jerry was arrested and charged with two counts of conspiracy and weapons charges for his role in the 2014 confrontation at clive and bundi's ranch in nevada. he has pleaded guilty in august and he remains behind bars in nevada awaiting a judge's decision. >> a really interesting interview. put that online so everyone can watch that again. we're following a lot of news, let's get right to it. >> we had a trade victory before
4:00 am
we come into office. >> the president-elect has four finalists for this position. >> donald trump is literally handing the keys to a wall street banker who helped cause the crash. >> these guys do fit the outsider bill. >> you have to be very, very careful with conflicts of interest. >> nearly 200,000 civilians still trapped in the war zone. >> they made the decision a long time ago that they would rather die in dignity than leave. >> you can sense the panic here. they're fleeing what could be one of the worst fights yet. >> they know how this movie ends. >> announcer: this is "new day" with chris cuomo and alisyn camerato. >> jane burrman joohn berman jo. mr. trump will travlg to indiana to celebrate a deal to keep more than 1,000 jobs in the u.s. and tonight he kicks off a thank yo

64 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on