Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  December 21, 2016 11:00am-12:01pm PST

11:00 am
as we begin the hour with what's been happening, the latest developments in berlin, i want to play sound for you that just happened. this is president-elect donald trump speaking out for the first time as he's been on holiday in palm beach at mar-a-lago specifically weighed in on these attacks overseas, including berlin. here's mr. trump. >> reporter: have you spoken to president obama since then. >> what's going on is terrible. i don't have the intelligence right now. what's going on is terrible. >> reporter: has it caused you to re-evaluate your plans to create a muslim registration or muslim immigration into the united states? >> you've known my plans. i've been 100% correct.
11:01 am
nice to have you with us. >> reporter: have you talked to president obama at all, sir? >> i have not. two days ago but not recently. not since. >> reporter: mr. president, your comment about the attack in berlin being against christians, do you think this might -- >> say it again, what? >> reporter: the attack in berlin being against -- an attack against christian. >> when was that said? >> reporter: i think -- i believe you said it. >> did i? >> reporter: so i'm wondering how this might affect relations with muslims? >> it's an attack on humanity, that's what it is. it's an attack on humanity and it's got to be stopped. thank you. >> i know that wasn't crystal clear. i'm sure we had a correspondent who can walk us through what he said. what was crystal clear is in reference to this heinous
11:02 am
attack. he called it not just an attack on christianity but humanity. that's the first time we've seen him on vacation in palm beach. we'll loop back to that ch. this urgent manhunt is under way. this is the first time we've seen images of the suspect. this is 23-year-old anise amry, a new teasian asylum -- tunisian asylum seeker. he plowed a truck into a christmas market two days ago. authorities say he has direct ties to an isis recruiting network within germany. sources say he was arrested back in august and let go.
11:03 am
police have said he's under urgent suspicion. do they have leads in finding him? >> reporter: well, brooke, at the moment authorities are being tight lipped with that kind of information. they don't want, of course, to compromise this investigation. he was registered to have lived in cologne, germany. they issued a warrant for his arrest identifying him as 24 years old, a tunisian national. 5'8", 165 pounds he was arrested in august trying to cross illegally into italy but the judge took the decision to let
11:04 am
him go. he applied for asylum in germany. that application was denied however at the time authorities could not identify him directly and therefore they were unable to deport him back to tunisia. lots of questions surrounding that here in germany tonight. authorities in that arrest warrant warning that he is armed and dangerous today saying that the polish citizen that was found in that truck had been shot, was believed to have not been driving the truck. that gun still missing, brooke. >> i'll loop back to the points you made with my law enforcement panel in a second. let me hear about these duelling protests at the christmas market where the truck careened and killed a number of people. some people calling to close germany's open borders. tell me about that, erin.
11:05 am
>> that's right, that duelling protest has just wrapped up. a few dozen or so neo-nazis gathered. they were met by a counterprotest number in the hundreds, separated by police for the most part. it was peaceful though the neo-nazis clearly trying to capitalize on the tragedy that took place here. lawmakers are looking at pushing a number of security measures, new laws in place that would increase their surveillance powers, increase the number of cameras out in public spaces, electronic surveillance powers as well. they're also looking at arming police with body cameras to be able to document exactly what is taking place in some of these incidents. after all, this was not the first terrorist attack to take place in germany this year. >> all right, erin, thank you. in berlin, let me bring in two voices here. juliette kayyem back with us today, national security analyst
11:06 am
and former u.s. assistant director -- secretary for homeland security and also a former fbi agent and extremism expert. a rhea, let me turn to you, they hear the arrest and that he was unfit for refugee status, the question would be why wasn't he watched more closely by authorities? >> it's just there's too many people, too many immigrants, too many refugees in that area to be watching all of those people 24/7. he wasn't violent beforehand. so to ask a federal law enforcement agency to watch somebody 24/7, there's not enough law enforcement people to do that. >> juliette, i want you to weigh in on that as well. also given the fact that he is considered armed and dangerous and what he is capable of doing. how does that change the calculus in this kind of
11:07 am
manhunt? >> well, i think the fact that they released his name and photo means they need the public's help because that's a lost -- an option of last resort. you don't want to engage the public if you're looking for an armed and dangerous person but they may have lost the trail. i should note that it's a european warren; it's not just germany. it would mean all the tools and resources that any country would need to arrest him and have essentially probable cause. they call it different things in different countries exist. so they may have a belief or certainly should believe that he had left the country. but just to this point, he clearly was being watched at certain stages but just given the number of people in europe now who have radicalized ties, they just don't the capacity. the irony here is he's not an asylum seeker, refugee seeker from syria which is the big political issue. it's -- he's coming from a different country. it doesn't matter in the politics of this, though.
11:08 am
>> just so i'm clear on your initial point. the fact that law enforcement have released his face and name tells you, what? square one? >> well, i think they probably don't have a trail. law enforcement will always prefer to keep the manhunt to themselves. not because they don't need the public's help but because you don't want to put the public at harm. this is basically saying see something, say something. if you know where he is, one has to believe he had an exit strategy that he is now hiding somewhere and people may be protecting him. >> foria, another thing that's missing, from everything i've read, there is no surveillance video of this attack. you walk around new york city or any major metropolitan city or other places in europe and there are cameras everywhere and apparently it's an issue with german behaviors toward being surveilled. >> so this is one of the
11:09 am
negatives of not having those security cameras around where it might have been able to help us identify him earlier. maybe who dropped him off, there could be so much more information if there was security cameras. right now we don't know of anything but in terms of if i may follow up on what juliette said reporting him hiding out. if they don't know where he is, they have to fall back on traditional law enforcement methods. where does he go where he is most comfortable? that guy in the french attacks hid back in the neighborhood a few blocks from where he was most comfortable so unless there's new information coming from his internet use, cell phone tracking, in you don't have none of that and you're frozen on that, then you have to fall back on where would he go where he's most comfortable. >> on that point, juliette, the fact that apparently law enforcement is saying he does have direct isis ties within
11:10 am
germany, they know where he comes from. >> you always begin with the family. siblings, marriage, he doesn't appear to be married. what we don't know is that -- whether others were helping him so they had safe houses outside of areas of berlin or in another country. this network has ways of communicating that make it difficult for law enforcement to track, especially if they had planned it ahead. i would suspect he's staying put somewhere. i don't think he's moving around. that's risky for people on the run. they're seen. they make mistakes. they need to go to houses that affiliates of isis or him that may be heading him or protecting him. >> juliette kayyem and foria younis. thank you so much.
11:11 am
i want the tell you about d deadly explosions that wrong this marketplace. look at this. we have the very latest and what fire investigators are saying about how this mass tragedy happened. also ahead, strong words from the kremlin today saying russia's is relations with the united states are frozen. how the pentagon is responding to that today. also ahead, the queen, queen elizabeth, changing her holiday plans because of an unexpected really, really bad cold. what buckingham palace is saying about the 90-year-old royal's health. i'm brooke baldwin. you're watching cnn. when you have type 2 diabetes, there's a moment of truth. and now with victoza® a better moment of proof. victoza lowers my a1c and blood sugar better than the leading branded pill, which didn't get me to my goal. victoza® works with your body to lower blood sugar in three ways:
11:12 am
in the stomach, the liver, and the pancreas. and while it isn't for weight loss, victoza® may help you lose some weight. non-insulin victoza® comes in a pen and is taken once a day. (announcer) victoza® is not recommended as the first medication to treat diabetes and is not for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza® or any of its ingredients. stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck or if you develop any allergic symptoms including itching, rash, or difficulty breathing. serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. so, stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area. tell your doctor your medical history. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. the most common side effects are headache, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
11:13 am
side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems. now's the time for a better moment of proof. ask your doctor about victoza®.
11:14 am
11:15 am
'. welcome back. this place is known as the pyrotechnics capital of mexico now you have workers combing through the rubble of this market after a series of explosions left 31 people dead 50 others injured. here's what happened. it just keeps going and going. these massive plumes of smoke and explosions into the sky. sara sidner is in mexico for us and, sara, how did that start?
11:16 am
>> you know, that's the question everyone's asking, especially those who have lost loved ones. 32 people officially confirmed dead. dozens of other people are in the hospital. a man came up and said he's still looking for his mother who was working in the market alongside her sons. the sons made it out. they can not find their 72-year-old mother so they are going from person to person handing out flyers. i want to let you see the scene now and see what happened after you saw those unbelievable explosions that seemed never ending. that's the result, brooke, right there. you're looking at a very devastating scene for the people of this town, not just those who lost love ones, they are in mourning. then you have to rest of the town that relied on this as really the place to make a living. pyrotechnics is the main economy here. what you're seeing right now, you see those men walking around
11:17 am
in the whiteout fits? that's the forensic team. they've been digging through that area for quite some time. what are they looking for? any evidence as to how this started and also the possibility that there may be more charred remains inside of all of this rubble. this used to be about a football-field-sized area of 300 little stalls, you see the stall there is, th s there, they are made of concrete. they were filled with fireworks, not sparklers, professional-grade fireworks that are explosives, essentially. and they somehow caught fire and it started a chain reaction. this is not the first time this happened here in this market but it's the first time people have died here and in such high numbers, brooke. >> help me understand. this is an area where these mega fireworks are made and sold and there's a market where it's hustling and bustling and full
11:18 am
of people? >> this one was marley full of people. people come from all over to come here because it's christmas time and as tradition has in the mexico people will bring their children, they have mom and dad and grandma and grandpa and uncles and aunts to pick up fireworks so they can blow them off for christmas and new year's. it was bustling. there were a lot of people here. there were quite a few children who have been injured. three were so badly injured they had medevac them to texas in galveston. we know it's bad because they had to be airlifted out of here, brooke. >> awful, awful, awful. sara sidner, thank you we'll stay in close contact with you. 32 dead. we have news into cnn from russia's kremlin saying nearly all levels of dialogue with the
11:19 am
united states frozen but the u.s. pentagon is telling a different story. we'll discuss that also ahead, president-elect donald trump stopping to speak to reporters as he's on vacation in florida talking specifically about the attack in berlin calling it an attack on humanity, more on what he shared in just a moment.
11:20 am
11:21 am
11:22 am
. just into cnn, russia's kremlin has surprised the u.s. state department by saying all communication between russia and the u.s. has quote/unquote frozen. let's go straight to elise labott, our cnn global affairs correspondent for -- let's begin with what the kremlin said and
11:23 am
then, of course, how the u.s. is responding. >> brooke, the kremlin put out a statement saying all contact with the u.s. government was frozen and it went on the say they keep at a minimum that they don't talk to the us if they have to and obviously the u.s. and russia have tensions that are sky high over syria, over the hacking allegations but this kind of surprised both the pentagon and the state department. pentagon spokesman peter cooke putting out something that said the u.s. and -- the pentagon and the russian department had a conference call just today about coordinating and trying to deconflict in syria. the state department spokesman john kirby gave us a statement that said it's difficult to know what is meant by this comment but diplomatic engagement with russia crosses a wide range of issues, they have significant differences with moscow on some
11:24 am
of these issues but there hasn't been a break in dialogue. john kerr biwent kirby said tha spoke to foreign minister lavrov yesterday. so tensions sky high, brooke, but conflict doesn't mean dialogue is frozen and if you listen to what the u.s. is saying, that's not true. >> not the case, elise, thank you. let's talk politics here. donald trump's electoral college victory has been in the books officially for two days since electors got together. but trump isn't ready to end the chapter of the election just yet. he tweeted "campaign to win the loerl colle electoral college is more difficult and sophisticated than the popular vote, hillary focused on the wrong states." well, hillary supporters are not seeing the electoral college in a positive light since their candidate won the popular vote by nearly three million votes. enter fox news host bill
11:25 am
o'reilly and his take on what's really bothering clinton supporters, he thinks. >> the left in america is demanding the electoral college system put into place in 1787 be scrapped but there's a hidden reason for that. talking points believe this is all about race. the left sees white privilege in america as an oppressive force that must be done away with therefore white working class voters must be marginal idesed. summing up, left want power taken away from the white establishment, they want a profound change in the way america is run. taking voting power away from the white precincts is the quickest way to do that. >> let's begin there. political commentators alice stewart is with me, a republican strategist who served as ted cruz's communication director. bakari sellers is a hillary clinton supporter and ryan lizza is the washington correspondent for the "new yorker." awesome having you all on and alice, let me turn to you and ask, that clip -- since that
11:26 am
happened last night, that quick has gone gang busters online. you read the more liberal critics and they're equating it to be rims any sent of something you might have heard in the apartheid era south africa. do you think o'reilly went too far? >> his language, as it always is, is used to provoke thought and if you take in context what he's saying, he's saying the electoral college was set up to spread out the balance of power with the election and bring about people in the smaller state, the battleground states, give them equal voice as larger areas, say california, new york, texas and so forth. if we do away with the electoral college, that takes away a lot of the areas where there are large white influence and it changes the way presidents run for office. >> but if i may, we went back because listen, this is all on the twitters. donald trump, 2012, november of that year tweeting "the electoral college is a disaster for a democracy." how do you square that?
11:27 am
this is how he won? >> those two statements conflict. contradict each other and if we do away with the electoral college in the future presidential campaigns will be run in california, los angeles, new york, chicago, houston, large cities where there are huge concentrations of population, largely democratic, and it will change the face of how they campaign but also the make up of the election process. >> i think so many people -- and bakari, let me pivot to you -- are jumping on this because of how he talked about white establishment and privilege and it was dan pfeiffer who said something to the effect of like his internal monologue now like his inside voice externally. is this how he feels. what did you think of what he said? >> well, this is the same bill o'reilly who we a di cushion about not too long ago who said that slaves were okay because
11:28 am
they were well fed and had jobs. i don't have much use for bill o'reilly. this statement in itself was the height of hypocrisy and ignorance. yes, he was talking about ideals which have come up. it sounded as if it was apartheid south africa the way he was speaking and the way he discussed race, i think bill o'reilly misses one factor, and a lot of people when we have this discussion about race they miss one fact. many people on the left, many minority, african-americans, we don't want anyone to give us anything. all we want are our endowed rights. all we want is the benefit of our humanity and equity so for him to say suddenly the white establishment, this white nationalist rhetoric that he was using, this is bill o'reilly we're talking about. he's been saying this for a long time and we're finally listening to him. >> let's move on to donald trump, ryan lizza. we heard him step out in the front of mar-a-lago, his vacation home in palm beach, florida. he spoke specifically about the
11:29 am
berlin attack. here he was. >> reporter: in the wake of the violence in europe and turkey, have you spoken to president obama since then? >> what's going on is terrible. what's going on is awful. >> reporter: has it caused you to rethink or re-evaluate your plans to create a muslim registry or ban muslim immigration in the united states? >> you know my plans all along. i've been 100% correct. what's happening is dreadful. mice to have you here. >> reporter: have you talked to president obama at all, sir? >> i have not. two days ago but not recently. not since. >> reporter: your comments about the attack in berlin being against christians -- >> say it again? what? >> reporter: the attack in berlin being an attack against christians. >> who said that?
11:30 am
when was that said. >> reporter: i think -- i believe you said it in a press release. >> did i? >> reporter: i'm wondering how this might affect relations with muslims. >> it's an attack on humanity is what it is. it's an attack on humanity and it has to be stopped. thank you. >> ryan lizza, you hearing is better than mine. i asked for a transcript. he was saying the attacks both in turkey and in germany were terrible. he said specifically the attack in berlin was an attack on humanity. he said he had spoke within president obama as recently as two days ago. what i wanted to highlight with you is ones of the reporters asked given what happened overseas, has it caused you to rethink or re-evaluate your plans to create a muslim registry or ban muslim immigration to the united states? trump's answer was, "you know my plans, all along, i've been proven to be right. 100% correct. what's happening is disgraceful.
11:31 am
anyway, nice to have you here." how do you interpret that answer? >> on the two most controversial and alarming things he's talked about with respect to immigration, this registry and banning muslims from entering the country. he hasn't -- the ban on muslims is still on his web site and there's been a lot of conflicting reports from people around him and from him personally about whether he's committed to either of those things. the registry was a question someone asked and it seemed like he was caught off guard and he suggested that he would be okay with that which, granted, is worrying because it would probably be unconstitutional. but if you notice there he wasn't eager to talk about either even though he said "you know what my plans are." i don't think we know where he'll end up. i know he's hearing from a lot of people, a lot of important republicans who are not in favor in any way with a ban on muslims
11:32 am
and i think we have to wait and see where he ends up. he's hearing from people like mattis and his new -- some of his new national security advisors who don't agree with him on these things. hesper suedable. i interpret that as the jury is still out on both of those policies and i hope -- myself i hope he sees the light of day and realizes that's not the way to go and that it wouldn't work anyway. >> alice, the jury is still out. this is something that has concerned a lot of people in this country. when hewill he address it? >> he clearly needs to outline more of his foreign policy specifics and he will do that in due time. he's working to flesh out more people that will fill these rolls. with these latest attacks -- i was in berlin and there was a lot of criticism of angela merkel with her open borders policy. there are a lot of people in the country that are against that so
11:33 am
we don't know the details of what happened but this type of activity happening -- surrounding a time when trump is putting together foreign policy, he'll take this into consideration and i think he will hold the line when it comes to his strong stance on immigration in light of these incidents because it's taking a backlash in germany. >> it could hurt angela merkel because of her open arms policy because she agreed to stand as chancell chancellor. i want to hear more from you on -- we should hear in the next 24 to 48 hours who trump picks as his press secretary. give me any indication it would be anyone other than john spicer. >> i don't know who it will be but a lot of people have been working extremely hard on the campaign. sean has done a tremendous job. >> the rnc spokesperson. >> rnc spoke person. he knows the people he'll deal with on a day to day basis. donald trump knows him and trusts him so in hi view he would be at the top of the line but there are a lot of -- hope hicks has done a tremendous job.
11:34 am
jason miller. kellyanne conway is still in the mix so there's good talent for a great position. we'll wait and see. >> you may know. what i got from you is you may know but you're not saying. allison, ryan and bakari, thank you so much. >> thanks, brooke. up next, murder accusations, admissions of being high on meth, even an alleged confession. right now real estate heir robert durst, here he is, back in court as new bombshell court documents surface that could have a massive impact on his case. we will be live in los angeles. next. see me. see me. don't stare at me. see me. see me. see me to know that psoriasis is just something that i have. i'm not contagious. see me to know that... ...i won't stop until i find what works. discover cosentyx, a different kind of medicine for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. proven to help the majority of people find clear or almost clear skin. 8 out of 10 people saw 75% skin clearance at 3 months.
11:35 am
while the majority saw 90% clearance. do not use if you are allergic to cosentyx. before starting, you should be tested for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur... ...tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms... ...such as fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to. if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me. see me. see me. on my way. find clear skin... and a clearer path forward. for a different kind of medicine, ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
11:36 am
11:37 am
robert durst the 73-year-old
11:38 am
real estate heir on trial more murdering his best friend to cover up another murder says he hasn't confessed to anything. what is more, he claims he was high on methuen he made that dramatic statement that sounded like a confession during a taping for an hbo documentary. in that film, durst was caught mumbling to himself off camera on a hot mike. >> . >> kill them all, of course. >> "kill them all, of course." that statement came in the 2015 finale of "the jinx" on hbo but newly-released court documents showed durst explained to investigators why he said those things. >> the whole long weekend when i did the interviews for "the jinx" i was on meth.
11:39 am
the whole time i was on meth and when i looked at little pieces of it i was going like this and like that. it should have been obvious. i'm surprised my lawyer let me go ahead with it because there was something going on. >> durst was arrested before the final episode aired and happening now in a los angeles courtroom a judge will decide on what evidence prosecutors can use in this case. with me now, lisa bloom, trial attorney with the bloom firm and legal analyst as avo and mark geragos, cnn legal analyst and defense attorney. good to see both of you. lisa, let me ask you first. durst says he maintains his innocence and we know prosecutors are trying to use this clip and this film but durst now says it's privileged. is it admissible or attorney/client privilege.
11:40 am
>> well, the tape of him saying "killed them all, of course" is admissib admissible. it's going to come in. his lawyers won't say "it's an at mission, we should go home." they'll say he was on drugs and it wasn't an admission and the jury will have to make that determination. as to documents or communication he is may have had with his attorneys, those would be protected by the attorney/client privilege unless he gave them to a third party like the film producer. that's considered to waive the privilege which is why i tell my clients don't be giving things out to other people, let's keep them between you and me. >> mark gar coaeragogeragos, wh think? >> well, the stuff on the hot mike, what the judge will end up ruling is even if he was the influence of meth or anything else, it's what's called a declaration against penal interest or conceivably an admission and it goes to the weight that a jury will give it but not to its admissibility. the other stuff is more
11:41 am
problematic. as lisa mentioned, if it's communications or work product of the lawyers then arguably the presumption is it doesn't come in. then it depends on how did a third party get it? did he share it? did the cops come in and seize it? if the cops seized it, it probably won't come in and they'll have what's called a special master proceeding. they'll have somebody independent, go through, take a look at this stuff and they'll have to come up with what's called a privilege log and list the things and why it's attorney/client or work product. >> so it's up to the judge to determine what you all have laid out. but lisa bloom, back up three steps. what's at stake here. >> what's at stake is whether robert durst will ever in fact be held accountable for any of the killings he's done in his life. we know for sure he killed one person, morris black in texas years ago. he went to trial, he was acquitted, the jury found he did in the self-defense even though he chopped up the poor man's body and threw in the galveston
11:42 am
bay but for decades he's been a suspect in the murder of his wife kathleen and he's accused of having killed susan berman to shut her up because she was potentially a witness in the kathleen murder. so he's 73 years old, you can see he does appear to be in poor health. will he ever be held accountable? that's what's at stake here. >> on his health, mark geragos, he apparently had esophageal cancer a number of years ago derks kleini i, declining health, he said in a jailhouse interview he says he thinks he only has five more years to live. if you're a juror and you see this man in a wheelchair, do you have any sympathy whatsoever? >> well, it's certainly sitting there in the wheelchair looking frail and he's probably right. he probably doesn't have more than five or six years of life expectancy. that arguably will resonate potentially with some juror. i don't think it matters with a judge. it won't have any impact on any
11:43 am
judicial ruling. but, you know, arguably you get one or two jurors in a criminal case that has to be a unanimous verdict and one or two jurors that hold out that don't want to convict him, that could resonate, i could see where there could be sympathy. >> how would you get him off, mark? >> this case to me is an infinitely triable case. i think there's a reason dick deguerin is in los angeles trying this case. i think he can win. they don't have an overwhelming -- this is not an overwhelming case, this is not a circumstantial case that's tightly focused or anything else. i think this case is a stretch for the prosecution. i don't give them a lot of -- >> despite that tape? despite the hot mike? >> the hot mike is "killed them all." i literally don't know how much they're going to be able to use
11:44 am
that with a jury and they don't -- even that, remember, a defendant's statements, a defendant's admissions, all of that stuff still may not be add missable if they can't prove what's called the corpus delecti. >> of course people innocent of killing three people often say offhandedly "sure, i killing kim all." that's a very important statement. >> lisa -- >> and everybody heard it. one more point, we haven't talked about one of the most important pieces of evidence which is the handwriting exemplar. we know robert durst's handwriting and we know a letter that he sent close in time this murder, which is very significant. that's less flashy than the "i killed them all" recording. but listen, mark is a terrific defense attorney, he's always going to pick apart the evidence one by one but the prosecution is going to put it all out there and the jury will take it all together. they may not think every piece
11:45 am
of evidence is significant but there's certainly enough hire to try robert durst for the killing of susan berman. >> we'll see what happens. thank you both, lisa and mark. >> thank you. >> i know you want to keep arguing back and forth but we have to go. coming up, we do now have a photo of the man who police believe is the one who is behind the wheel plowing through those crowds at that christmas market in berlin this week. the latest on this manhunt. who is he? straight ahead. hey, searching for a great used car? i don't want one that's had a big wreck just say, show me cars with no accidents reported find the cars you want, avoid the ones you don't plus you get a free carfax® report with every listing i like it start your used car search at carfax.com
11:46 am
11:47 am
11:48 am
from a war bunker to a presidential palace, the twitterer updates captivated the world with her family's struggling to survive in aleppo. today after an evacuation from syria to turkey the seven-year-old little girl and her family met with turkish president erdogan there in the capital and she even thanked him in english.
11:49 am
>> thank you for supporting aleppo and help us to get out from war. i love you. >> how about that? seven. while she is safe, evacuations are winding down and have met with many delays amid falling snow, subzero temperatures. more than 37,000 people have been evacuated so far. with me now, a syrian and american writer lena atar, co-founder and ceo of karam foundation, a nonprofit credited with helping the youngest victims of the syrian civil war. lena, nice to have you on. >> thank you for having me. >> you are from aleppo. you have dispatched a number of members from your team to syria. what are they doing to help? >> we have an active team on the ground in idlib, northern syria
11:50 am
and in the aleppo country side where the evacuations are taking place along with many other organizations on the ground working really around the clock top provide these families who have suffered so match with the basic necessities, shelter, is trying to get them what they need, medical attention so they can start settling into their new lives as displaced people. >> there are so many layers of challenges. i mentioned it's pouring snow, freezing, freezing cold there as they're working to get out. we see the pictures. what are other -- what is the biggest challenge your team is facing? >> the biggest challenge is the weather conditions and the fact evacuations were taking so long and people were arriving on buses that they had been spending hours and hours on buses stuck in the middle
11:51 am
between their homes and places they were being displaced to. so this uncertainty of where the people were, if they were going to be safe and where they were going to be evacuated to has created really a catastrophic humanitarian crisis for the organizations that are working to deliver aid to the families but in general we have had families being displaced into specific towns and villages, people are taking shelter in schools, in homes, and there are also idp camps that are currently under construction. camps that are under construction specifically for the people that are being evacuated from aleppo these are not evacuations, it's forced displacement of tens of thousands of people who have
11:52 am
been besieged for three months, who were evicted from their home, left on the streets until the buses arrived and started taking people out and left really with nothing but the clothes on their backs to be able to start their own lives from scratch. >> i know this is such a different aleppo than you knew and loved when you left in the late '90s. lina attar, thank you so much for all your work. >> thank you. coming up, is queen elizabeth okay? the queen changing their christmas plans after catching a horrible cold. w what we just learned from buckingham palace. richard quest is next. your insurance company
11:53 am
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
11:54 am
11:55 am
11:56 am
we've all been there, skmas a couple days away, you might get hit with a monster cold, end-of-the-year exhaustion, you get it. such is the case in buckingham palace where officials say queen elizabeth and for instance phillip have quote/unquote heavy colds and won't be letting out to the traditional country home. >> sandringham. >> sandringham. for you and i this might mean a couple days of chicken soup and netflix. the queen is 90 and her husband is 95. even at that age a mild cold could spell danger. richard quest, who used to cover the queen and the royals in london -- >> the royals. her majesty always goes to sandringham. it was bought by her father. she always goes to sandringham christmas and stay there is to february. it's a big country estate. a big pile of a mansion of a house in norfolk in eastern england. >> so it's a big deal she's not going. >> very much so. when she's at sandringham she
11:57 am
goes to christmas morning services at the local parish church. >> she takes the train, her own carriage? >> no, no, no. >> i thought she get hearse own carriage on the train. >> that's the royal train. she doesn't take the royal train to sandringham. her majesty in recent years has taken a normal train from kings cross station to kingsley -- >> is that not what i said? she takes the train. >> a normal train. >> that's what i meant, she's with the people. >> sort of. she goes first class. and it's quite a spectacular thing because she turns up at the station, she gets on the train, buys a ticket. she won't be going this year. and the serious point about that is she is 90, phillfill philip . although they enjoy excellent health, any form of heavy cold which could turn into something more serious is of great concern when you get to that age. >> what is she going to be doing instead? >> she'll stay in london at the palace and they'll decide
11:58 am
tomorrow or friday whether they'll go to sandringham. they already had the family christmas lunch earlier in the week but now sandringham is a chance for the close family to come together to have a real christmas family occasion and the decision will be whether or not she goes later in the week. >> 90 years of age. >> 90. and she will address the british people and the commonwealth on christmas day. that's been recorded and that christmas message is one of the great traditions in britain. >> before i let you go, have you ever met the queen? >> yes. >> that was that like? >> i met her majesty -- did. >> did you bow? >> i met her majesty when she opened cnn's new london bureau broadcasting center. you shake hands and she shakes your hand. >> but don't you -- >> it's a short sharp bow. >> i haven't met the queen. i'm taking notes. >> it's a short sharp bow from the neck. it's not a japanese -- it's a
11:59 am
administration forward -- and it's ma'am like spam. not maum like farm. >> thank you, sir, i knew you'd be excellent. >> lord will do. >> lord quest. thank you. now to this. >> you were watching cnn, i'm brooke baldwin. this manhunt is under way for the person on your screen, 24-year-old anis amri. he plowed a truck into a christmas market. he is considered armed and dangerous. what we can tell you is that he has been known to authorities who say he has direct ties to an isis recruiting network in
12:00 pm
germa germany german security services consid him a threat president-elect trump says it's an attack on humanity and says it proves that tightening of muslim immigration is necessary. erin mclaughlin is in berlin as the manhunt is on. protesters are there. they are calling for closing of the borders. erin, what can you tell us about the investigation? >> authorities are being tight lipped in terms of not wanting to compromise this ongoing investigation. owe know they were conducting police raids in the cologne area of germany earlier today. that is where a 24-year-old tunisian suspect, anis amri, is registered to have lived.