Skip to main content

tv   The Legacy of Barack Obama  CNN  January 2, 2017 9:00pm-11:01pm PST

9:00 pm
in a sense, america made a big bet in electing barack obama as its first african-american president. and with respect to his personal character and intellect, most of the country believes it was a bet that paid off. i'm fareed zakaria. thanks for joining us. >> good evening, thanks for joining us. we begin the program and the year with breaking news, on n evidence linking russia to the president-elect donald trump know its downplaying the notion. and on the search for a gunman who took 39 lives at a turkish nightclub on new year's eve. authorities today releasing photos of the suspect, one of them taken from this video which began making the rounds late today on social media. isis said he's one of their followers, calling him a soldier
9:01 pm
of the caliphate. right now, the search is on for this terrorist. sarah is there. are authorities any further long? >> they certainly have more clues. there's that image put out in turkey of the suspected gunman. what they don't have is a name and where he might be. so a manhunt is definitely under way. the entire country is on one hand absolutely furious over this and on the other hand so many people are living in sorrow right now because 39 families are having to bury their loved ones. >> we will have more from you later on this hour. we want to turn now to the hacking story. new evidence that may fly in the face of president-elect trump's ongoing effort to cast doubt in russian involvement in it. he said he knows things others don't. and will reveal them perhaps as soon as tomorrow. today u.s. intelligence officials did some revealing themselves saying they have
9:02 pm
another big clue that points to the kremlin. pamela brown joins us now. what is this clue that you are learning about? >> reporter: newly identified digital footprints that is bolstering the view that moscow is the culprit according to u.s. intelligence officials. analysts were able to trace the election hack to specific keyboards with an alphabet used by russians and they believe the keyboards were used to make the malware code used in the hacks. this is just one piece in the puzzle, though, leading the u.s. intelligence community to believe that russia is the culprit. as one official said, the intelligence in russia is so high value, high quality, that is part of why they are so confident russia is to blame. compared to other cyber hacks we've seen involving more secretive regimes like north korea. anderson? >> how were investigators able to trace the keyboards allegedly used in the hacks?
9:03 pm
>> they were able to do analysis of metadata in certain documents and they were able to through the analysis look at the source code and determine that these were keyboards with the text but as one official cautioned the same keyboards could be bought online or could be used by other eastern european hackers not in russia. this is just one piece of the puzzle, one piece of circumstantial evidence. still, anderson, there is a high level of confidence as we know and a consensus in the u.s. intelligence community that russia is to blame. now we are waiting for the comprehensive review that president obama ordered about the hack. >> and president-elect trump says he knows things about who is behind the hacking saying we can't be sure it actually is the russians. could it be someone else? these computer keyboards could have been bought by anybody. >> that was one piece of evidence out of lots of evidence and digital footprints that intelligence analysts were able this investition. the course of
9:04 pm
cyber hacks are rarely slam dunk definitive. in terms of determining who it is. as i pointed out the intelligence is high quality when it comes to russia. so that is why you are seeing this consensus and why the fbi and dhs came out last week pointing the finger at russia and laying out why it believes that. it is unclear what president-elect trump was talking about. he does know more than most of us because he has received some classified intelligence briefings. he pointed out that he is skeptical because of failed intelligence leading up to the iraq w. what will be interesting to see, though, is whether his conclusion or view changes once he receives the specific intelligence briefing on the russian hack that he is supposed to be given by leaders in the intelligence community around the time the comprehensive review is completed. we'll have to wait and see what happens. anderson? >> pam brown, thanks. >> president-elect trump says he has evidence of his own. details to come shortly.
9:05 pm
i had a chance to ask trump's transition advis, kellyanne coay, aboutll of that. we spoke just before air time. >> over the weekend president-elect trump said that the hacking quote could be someone else. who do you think he thinks it could be? cnn is reporting that u.s. intelligence officials identified digital fingerprint is what they're calling it, which point directly to the russian government. >> the president-elect receives intelligence briefings that you and i are not privy to, anderson. additionally he just is noting that there are unnamed sources, people tking to the pres instead of attending house intelligence community -- cmittee briefings, when they've been invited. but the president-elect has agreed to receive an intelligence briefing here at the trump tower this week. we expect that the top intelligence officials in our country will be here to provide that briefing. at the same time we are all just wondering why when president obama earlier in this year said
9:06 pm
to vladimir putin, knock it off, he didn't come out more strongly. did he think hillary clinton would win the election? and so "knock it off," which is what i tell my dogs when they're fighting over a bone, why would that be sufficient? was that a diplomatic response or a political response? we do have questions. he will receive the briefing. things are not completely clear to us here. and then he will speak accordingly. he has eight years probably to be president. president obama has 18 days left. the expulsion of the russian operatives last week seems sort of curious because there just didn't seem to be such a strong response earlier in the election cycle to these allegations. >> when trump says he, quote, knows things that other people t kn is he referring to things he has learned in briefings or things he just knows prior to even becoming president-elect?
9:07 pm
>> every president of the united states, in this case, imminent president of the united states, donald trump, ought to know many things that the rest of us do not know. that is to what he is referring. that will include the briefing he will receive this week at trump tower. from our top intelligence officials. but what woe dooon >> do we expect that wednesday? >> it looks that way right now. what we do know -- or what i can say is that we don't believe that intelligence efforts should interfere into politics, certainly. we also don't believe that politics should interfere with our intelligence. i can't help but think that many people who are still talking about this are disappointed if not embarrassed by the content of the hacked e-mails of the dnc that the hillary team was pretty disparaging of her and her lack of judgment. she can't find her voice. 84 different slogans being tested. we had one.
9:08 pm
>> even people who weren't supporting hillary clinton, would understandably be concerned about any foreign entity hacking into anybody's e-mails here, whether it was the sony hacks, which were believed to have been done by north korea, it's not necessarily all political. >> what you just described we share your view. in other words, of course, we are concerned about a foreign government hacking into our information. you and i are agreeing on a principle but not an actual set of facts. i would tell you, another set of facts that we all know that didn't seem to get much more than a shrug and a slap on the wrist from president obama at the time, and that was the 2015 hack of one million former and current government employees at the office of personnel management. we know that information was hacked. there was no public punishment. of the magnitude that we experienced as a nation last week with these russian operatives and people are left
9:09 pm
wondering, why is that different? >> i saw one democrat in the intelligence committee, saying, and i don't want to misquote him, but saying the difference between those is that china hadn't weaponized those. in his opinion, russia had weaponized the hacks and used them against, in that case, the dnc. >> that to me is a very poor excuse. i'm sorry, anderson. that is a very poor excuse and really very creative. monday morning quarterbacking after the fact. so it doesn't matter to us as a government, doesn't matter to congressman schiff, or president obama, or the rest of us, that one million people who did nothing wrong, other than they had their personal information in the government files, it's okay that we know things about them personally, that is never okay. we as a nation should be outraged about that.
9:10 pm
there was no public punishment. we can't help but think that the difference here, too, is that hillary clinton lost an election and somehow they think they had the wrong messenger or hacking or what not. basically was the wrong message. not just the wrong messenger. >> i want to read something that president-elect trump tweeted tonight. north korea just stated it is in the final stages of developing a nuclear weapon capable of reacarts of the u.s. it won't happen. how exactly does he plan on stopping their nuclear program and what steps will he take that other presidents haven't? >> i will tell you what he won't do. he won't do what we did with iran, for example. emboldening iran with increased nuclear capability that even prominent democratic senators like bob menendez of new jersey, chuck schumer here in new york opposed, that is not something you do. >> what will he do? >> also comes -- he will meet again with his national security team and see what can be done. he is not going to sit idly by while north korea is close to -- one year away from having this missile that could reach
9:11 pm
seattle. we all read and we're told, anderson. >> because right now, the policy in order to try to stop this has been get china a number of state actors to put pressure to put sanctions. >> that's right. it would be nice if china did more on a number of fronts. i think president-elect trump has been very clear about his attention there. -- tension -- intention there. look, again, sanctions he will discuss it with his security team, but is it actually a deterrent to north korea, we don't know yet. are the russian sanctions from last week a deterrent to them? vladimir putin said he'll wait, delay those sanctions. >> more of that interview in the next hour. just ahead, though, tonight the president-elect putting himself on a hard to defend position on the hacking and what to make of his claim suggesting he has inside information. i will talk to the panel about that. what happened to the smooth transition from president obama's jabs to president-elect's tweets.
9:12 pm
we will take you inside on all of it tonight on 360. for lower back pain sufferers, the search for relief often leads... here... here... or here. today, there's another option. drug-free aleve direct therapy. a tens device with high intensity power that uses technology once only available in doctors' offices. its wireless remote lets you control the intensity, and helps you get back to things like this... this... or this. and back to being yourself. aleve direct therapy. find yours in the pain relief aisle. there's a more enjoyable way to get your fiber. hey, it's the phillips' lady! try these delicious phillips' fiber gogummies , a good source of fiber to help support regularity. mmm...these are great!
9:13 pm
my work here is done. phillips', the tasty side of fiber. is america's number-one you kmotorcycle insurer. yeah, she does purr! best bike i ever owned! no, you're never alone, because our claims reps are available 24/7. we even cover accessories and custom parts. we diget an early start! took the kids to soccer practice. you want me to jump that cactus? all right. aah! that lady's awesome.
9:14 pm
i don't see a possum!
9:15 pm
breaking news, more evidence pointing to russian involvement of hacking of democratic national committee. and hillary clinton's campaign chief. all eyes on president-elect trump who promised to put his own cards on the table. perhaps as soon as tomorrow. he says he knows things about it that others don't. and he stands virtually alone in deferring to moscow the way he has. here is more of what senior adviser kellyanne conway had to say about it. >> i want to be clear about the information about the hacks that trump says he knows. he says you will find out tuesday or wednesday. will he announce what the information is tuesday or wednesday as he said he would after being briefed? >> he didn't say he would announce it.
9:16 pm
what he is saying is that he'll -- we'll find out, he'll find out. i think it is contingent on what the intelligence officials reveal in their briefing. everybody should be very happy that the president-elect is open to receiving that briefing. >> plenty to unpack. joining us republican consultant margaret hoover. jeffrey lord, contributing editor and former white house political director and long time trump supporter. and atlantic contributor peter bienheart. do you think donald trump is sort of getting over his skis here in terms of talking about i know stuff, going to release stuff before he gets his briefing? >> no, i don't think he gets over his skis. i say that, he is now president-elect of the united states. how many times in the last year and a half have there been conversations about he is saying he is over the top of his skis here. i think he will find out what is going on by talking to the appropriate people.
9:17 pm
he will get the briefings that none of the rest of us see and he'll make a judgment. i don't think he would walk something out like that without having some knowledge of what he needed to see. >> so the logic seems to be because trump was elected therefore he can't do anything wrong. >> no, no. >> time and time again he's said stuff which turned out not to be true. he has shown remarkable ignorance about basic facts like not knowing the nuclear triad and didn't know what brexit was. just weeks before the vote. and he hasn't been taking a lot of intelligence briefings. so he said he knew more than generals did about isis. i think we should take with a large grain of salt any suggestion that donald trump knows more than our intelligence agencies. >> i don't think he says he knows more, but i think he's talking to these people. until we find out he has had the conversations and if we may not get to know what they've said to him, other than selective leaks from various quarters. so we need to find out. >> we say he is talking to these people but he is actually not talking to them nearly as much
9:18 pm
as any president-elect in recent history has. most president-elects get daily presidential briefs. kellyanne conway there just said america should be glad that he's going to be talking and taking his presidential brief on wednesday or tuesday. most of them get it every day. george h.w. bush told his son the most important thing you do is get your intelligence briefing every day. this has just been catechism. this is what president-elects do. the one thing he is tasked with keeping this country safe and maintaining stability in the world. you can't do that without information. he is taking scores of scores of calls without situational awareness. >> donald trump has said and kellyanne conway has said, he has confidence in the intelligence community. but in public statements he has raised questions about, they got wmd wrong and -- >> the intelligence agencies were much more correct than the political appointees of the bush administration.
9:19 pm
>> that was my next point. it was more the politicizing of intelligence, as opposed to the intelligence itself. this is something donald trump doesn't know the difference about. it appears he doesn't understand that what went wrong with the lead-up to the iraq war and the claims of wmd, it was exactly that. the it was the politization of the intelligence. not the intelligence itself. that is what we learned in hindsight. somebody part of the bush administration and supported the war in iraq, that is what we have learned from that and we hope not to repeat those errors again. 17 intelligence agencies have concluded that russia was behind this. that is very different than the iraq wmd. >> all i'm trying to communicate to you and i fall back on the -- on his business career, and until he takes office, that's all we have to fall back on. he knows how to make judgments based on facts. not supposition, facts. >> he's not getting the facts, that's the problem. >> you're assuming the daily presidential brief is not saying the same thing.
9:20 pm
a good executive would say, if they say the dog is red and the next day they say the dog is possibly red or the dog is red again. >> have you gotten those -- >> no, and neither have you. and that's my point. >> i worked in the white house and i have a pretty good -- you [ all speak at once ] >> you and i both know that -- do you really think president obama sits there and gets -- by the way, you have to ask for information too. you get deep dives on some things. you don't find osama bin laden and run two wars not getting intelligence briefings every day. >> nobody needs these briefings more than donald trump because no president in recent memory has come in more ignorant about basic realities. nobody needs it more -- he needs a tremendous amount -- he didn't know what the nuclear triad is. couldn't name leaders of hezbollah, hamas. >> there would be new information if he got the same briefing every day. >> george w. bush didn't know the name of the president of pakistan. >> but to his credit, he at
9:21 pm
least got the daily briefing. >> president obama has been reading these things every day and the world is a mess. >> if you want to debate president obama this goes back -- [ all speak at once ] go ahead. >> what jeffrey just did is something that kellyanne did as well. a lot of people who are in a position of needing to defend donald trump or wanting to defend donald trump, you divert and deflect. you put on obama's failures and hypocrisy. i'm no fan of the current president, but you can only do that for like ten more days and then it's on you. >> day one, it becomes his responsibility. that is my point. >> you say donald trump makes decisions based on facts. i'm not sure if we know that. i'm not saying this in a disparaging way. i think he's also very much a gut -- he does things guy gut. he has a gut instinct which i think has served him very well in the election. if he had been listening to facts there were people saying there is no way you can win. he had a gut feeling and he went with it. >> right. >> it was a gut feeling, based
9:22 pm
on reporting from "wall street journal," when to turn on the other gop candidates. a lot of it was done by instinct. >> right. one of the things that i think is very important to understand here, is that he sees things, i think he has the ability, like ronald reagan did, to see things that other people do not see, and he is willing to go outside the box. all i can say is anybody who is president of the united states if you to take on the federal bureaucracy, you are immediately, the minute your hand comes down from that bible, you are put in position where there's tons of stuff coming into you that is organized in the shape that the bureaucracy wants you to see things. and it becomes very difficult, ask this is truly going to be his task. it's going to be his task to look things over in a different capacity and take a fresh look. this is why we have a fresh set of eyes. >> that's an interesting argument to make.
9:23 pm
>> i think it is a great argument. >> a new light. maybe it should be done the way it has always been done. >> that's fine. [ all speak at once ] >> donald trump can challenge the intelligence agency but again you have to start from some basis of knowledge. if donald trump were to say i took the intelligence briefing for a month and i find it wasn't that useful, i want to reorganize it. but he hasn't been taking it from the very beginning. >> the problem with that is -- and i hate to use the benghazi episode. hillary clinton who was seriously experienced senator, first lady, attorney, secretary of state and the whole benghazi thing blew up in her face. she had all this experience, she was in charge, and it blew up. >> there you go again, this is exactly what margaret said. because the pilot who has experience flying the plane crashed therefore it's fine for someone who didn't get the training. -- get the training to fly the plane. hillary clinton had lots of people who had lots of experience made terrible mistakes.
9:24 pm
it's not an excuse for going into the job without information. >> everyone is going to stick around. remember all that transition good year at the white house? the eggnog seems to have gone a little bit. things have turned a little sour. you'll see how and why when we continue. stry dna results it was a shocker. i'm from all nations. it puts a hunger in your heart to want to know more. wis that they contourt tempur-peto your body.s... it keeps us comfortable and asleep at night. start the new year off right with the best sleep of your life. buy your tempur-pedic now for as low as $25 a month and a 90-night free trial. call or click today.
9:25 pm
youthat's why you drink ensure. sidelined. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing... ...what you love. ensure. always be you. we're doing the wave! htaking off with me!y! for 42 minutes he's been trying to bring an entire stadium to its feet. you missed it, buddy. it's all good. and much like this hero, courtyard is all about the game. one, two, three... waaaaave! if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough, ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions
9:26 pm
can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach.
9:27 pm
congress back tomorrow promising to undo his legacy. whatever you can understand why president obama might feel torn about the transition. on the one hand he sought to help prepare donald trump for the job and ease his way into the white house. on the other hand, we're talking about the guy who openly and loudly doubted his citizenship,
9:28 pm
who has promised to dismantle everything he pretty much holds dear. for several weeks after the election obama sought to minimize irritations. lately not so much. the strain is showing. >> reporter: president obama with only days remaining in office, looking to preserve his legacy in any way possible, taking to, yes, twitter, while on vacation and out of sight, to defend his work on job creation, health care and energy. this week he will head to capitol hill to meet with democrats trying to protect at least parts of obama care. at virtually the same time vice president elect mike pence will be meeting with republicans on repealing it. it was only weeks ago the first face-to-face meeting, show of good will. >> i just had the opportunity to have an excellent conversation with president-elect trump. >> i very much look forward to dealing with the president in the future. >> reporter: didn't take long for the winds of politics carrying plenty of thorns to blow straight from the campaign
9:29 pm
trail into this transition. >> ronald reagan would roll over in his grave. >> reporter: in the last few days president obama saying he thinks he would have beaten donald trump in the election. trump responding by tweet he thinks he would have won against me. he should say that but i say no way. and another one, doing my best to disregard the many inflammatory president o. statements and roadblocks. thought it was going to be a smooth transition. not. we heard from the first lady. >> we are feeling what not having hope feels like. >> reporter: we have seen top democrats blast the head of the fbi over the clinton e-mail investigation. obama administration standing by its expressions of deep concern and believe that donald trump is unqualified, hitting his campaign picks, excoriating the team for denials and doubts that russia hacked democratic websites. >> the republican nominee for president was encouraging russia
9:30 pm
to hack his opponent because he believed that that would help his campaign. >> reporter: despite very public clashes trump speaks of a quote good relationship with the outgoing president whose legacy is already under fierce attack. the two spoke again by phone friday. >> i'm getting along very well other than a couple of statements and i responded to and we talked about it and smiled about it. >> reporter: michelle cossin ski, cnn, the white house. >> a lot to talk about with cnn senior political commentator david axelrod. david, the day after the election, president obama, president-elect trump voiced commitment to a smooth transition. do you think either of them has kept their word? >> well, i think that insofar as there are communications between the staffs of both men at various levels, who are affecting a transition, yes, in
9:31 pm
so far as generally their rhetoric has been friendly, yes. but obviously there are big differences about the direction of the country. one president is finishing up his administration, trying to lock in those things that he believes are important. the other president has been very vocal about a variety of issues, kind of breaking with tradition in that regard. and so there is this natural tension that we have seen. >> and just in the last couple of weeks president obama has imposed sanctions on russia and kicked out diplomats. led a u.n. resolution condemning israeli settlements pass. if you ask the trump folks they will tell you the president is trying to box them in. do you think that is true? >> well, i don't know that the resolution in the u.n. -- sounds like president-elect trump is going to chart his own course in the middle east on the issue of
9:32 pm
-- in the middle east. on the issue of russia, there's a bipartisan consensus in the congress that something should be done. the criticism of president obama has been that he didn't act soon enough and in the minds of some members of congress on both sides harshly enough against the russians. so on this, trump stands almost alone. but clearly these are not things that he welcomed and they have been bumps in the road along this transition period. >> president-elect trump has -- hasn't been sitting quietly either. is this just what happens when you have a president and president-elect who are as different as these two men are or is it more complicated than that? it is an awkward -- >> i think it is fair to say that everything involving donald trump is a little more complicated because he doesn't operate by the same rules that we're accustomed to. his tweets are often provocative.
9:33 pm
he sent out a tweet accusing president obama of bad faith in the transition and then the next day he reported that they had a good conversation and the transition was going swimmingly. so it's like a dr. jekyll, mr. twitter thing he's got going and you never know exactly which side is up. >> and this back and forth between the president and the president-elect, do you think there's lasting effect here, or come january 20th, they're ships passing in the night? >> i think very clearly on january 20th, donald trump will become president of the united states. he may or may not rely on predecessors. i remember one of the things that president-elect obama asked the president bush was that he assemble all former presidents for a conversation about the presidency and what he should be
9:34 pm
thinking about president-elect obama as he entered office. there hasn't been such a meeting i assume because this president-elect hasn't asked for such a meeting. how much he will rely on his predecessors for advice, i don't know. once the transition is effective on january 20th, there isn't any constitutional reason for them to be in communication. so they may well be ships in the night. until then i can tell you as someone who was involved in a transition eight years ago, it is very, very helpful to have the resource of people who have been there for eight years to help acclimate you to all the nuances of life in the white house. i assume that that is going on. >> david axelrod, thanks very much. >> okay, anderson. >> more with david in our second hour. democrats plan to begin
9:35 pm
thwarting president-elect's administration. that plan is taking shape and it starts on capitol hill. dana bash has that coming up. and new video in the man authorities think killed more than two dozen people on new year's eve. the manhunt for him is on right now. per roll bounty is more absorbent, so the roll can last 50% longer than the leading ordinary brand. so you get more "life" per roll. bounty, the quicker picker upper we catch flo, the progressive girl," at the supermarket buying cheese. scandal alert! flo likes dairy?! woman: busted! [ laughter ] right afterwards we caught her riding shotgun with a mystery man. oh, yeah! [ indistinct shouting ] is this your chauffeur? what?! no, i was just showing him how easy it is to save with snapshot from progressive. you just plug it in and it gives you a rate based on your driving.
9:36 pm
does she have insurance for being boring? [ light laughter ] laugh bigger. [ laughter ]
9:37 pm
of reach for far too long:s have health insurance.that's been out how? they enrolled through covered california. it's the health insurance marketplace where you'll find a range of plans from leading health insurance companies that offer you the best combination of quality, rates, and benefits. and, through covered california, you may get financial help to pay for coverage.
9:38 pm
to get covered, you've got to get going. open enrollment ends january 31st. visit covereca.com today. it's a new year and a new world order. at least a new washington order. when congress is gavelled back in session tomorrow.
9:39 pm
president-elect trump has made it clear he has a list of obama policies he wants to unravel. and he looks to waste no time. do not wait for democrats to sit by and make things easy. they are picking their battles. have their sights set on trump's nominees. here is chief political correspondent dana bash. >> reporter: democrats may not have the votes to defeat donald trump's nominees but can delay their confirmation. >> i am concerned about a bunch of nominations. >> reporter: and chuck schumer is warning democrats will slow walk eight of trump's picks unless they turn over additional financial information to the senate saying in a statement if republicans think they can quickly jam through a whole slate of nominees without a fair hearing process they are sorely mistaken. democrats say these eight trump nominees have yet to provide key committees and the office of government ethics enough records for senators to make informed decisions about potential conflicts of interest. for example, rex tillerson, trump's nominee for secretary of state handed over information about his taxes.
9:40 pm
he is not required to turn over his full tax returns but democrats want to change that. >> without seeing their tax returns it is impossible to know if his nominees have conflicts of interest from their financial dealings that would influence their decisions affecting the american people. >> reporter: tom price, nominee for health and human services is also on the democrats' target list. this year he bought and sold 12 health care stocks. democrats are pushing for more information to investigate whether congressman price violated a 2013 insider trade law. the reality is, beyond his business dealings, democrats strongly oppose price on policy. >> when it comes to issues like medicare, affordable care act and planned parenthood congressman price and average american couldn't be farther apart. >> reporter: in fact, these eight trump nominees are being singled out by democrats because of what they believe, as much as
9:41 pm
where they invest. like hardee's ceo pick for labor secretary who criticized federal minimum wage increases. >> he's supposed to be for labor, but he's been pretty anti-worker when he was the head of hardee's. >> reporter: sean spicer says democrats should act as the gop did eight years ago allowing democrats to confirm seven of obama's nominees on the day he took office. >> each of these individuals is an unbelievable agent of success and change who is help this country move forward. and the idea that the democrats' choice is to figure out from day one, how to oppose every one of these individuals, it's frankly sad. >> reporter: democrats argue the difference now is that trump is filling his cabinet with billionaires who haven't handed over enough information to be properly vetted. still democrats aren't just doing this to scrutinize nominees. it is a way to try to mess up the gop legislative agenda like repealing obama care. by burying the senate floor with
9:42 pm
lengthy debates on nominees, which could take weeks, or even months. >> dana join us now with the panel. even though democrats don't have the votes to block these nominees, what is it they gain by delaying the process? >> attention and time. and the more time they have the more attention they can get. it's not so much for necessarily -- certainly is an added benefit, but not so much about potential conflicts of interest for the nominees, it's using the nominee as a vehicle to discuss policy issues that they represent. for example, take tom price at health and human services. if they delay that for a week on the senate floor, and by delaying it, it means you have to talk a lot. they can talk a lot about the reasons why they think that the republicans are wrong to repeal obama care and you can go down the line from the epa administrator on down.
9:43 pm
at the end of the day this is the most important thing. it will be very hard to see how they could possibly block the nominees. that's not really their goal. it is to get attention and to unify the democratic caucus around these ideas and around these anti-republican messages. >> the other way of looking at this is that it is the same thing that democrats criticized republicans for doing against president obama which they did from the get go. >> yes but it's not even apples to apples. there is a real risk to doing it. even republicans who -- democrats constantly cite mitch mcconnell saying his job is to make sure obama failed. republicans confirmed all obama's cabinet nominees. they didn't slow-roll any of them. even on the day he was inaugurated, five of them were confirmed. this actually to me represents
9:44 pm
more of this unraveling of just civility and the basic way business has been done. it's like peeling off layers of the onion. it gets worse and worse and worse with each successive congress. >> is it unraveling democratic party trying to figure out what to do? >> right. anderson, i've been through a number of these confirmation situations and it's almost always exactly as dana just described it. they have a policy difference with nominee a, b or c. they don't want to say they have already said that. we don't want obama care repealed but they are not going to touch that. they are going to go after some conflict of interest. they'll find some other subject and that's what they do. if the thing is big enough then they hope to hammer the nominee into the ground and defeat. that is the m.o. it is a cynical game and a dangerous game because at this point one of the reasons donald trump is president is because so many people think these people are cynical politicians. and they're just going to reinforce that image doing this. >> should democrats do this? >> i think that ultimately these people deserve a vote.
9:45 pm
i'm sure almost all of them will be confirmed. i agree, they should have the votes in the same time process that happened for obama's nominees. i don't think there should be some excessive delay. i do think that there is an important principle about whether these people are going to give over the same information that previous cabinet nominees did. we know that donald trump has changed the rules when it comes to himself unlike other presidential nominees. he didn't release his tax returns. i think it is important to try to hold the line and make sure it doesn't become true of the entire trump administration. so on that point, i think the democrats -- >> donald trump didn't change the rules. there was no rule that he had to -- >> right. these are unwritten norms. norms that people have abided by. and i think they're important norms. >> they are important norms but the difference fortunately there there are la. >> more binding than it is for a presidential candidate. >> and i want to add i think peter is right that as cynical
9:46 pm
as this is and shocking there is politics in washington, there is a difference. margaret points out that the republicans in the minority when president obama took office allowed seven nominees to be approved the day he was inaugurated. that is true. but the democrats rightly point out that those nominees had given all their paperwork. they didn't just hear from the president-elect that this is the person who i want to nominate and that is the end of it. they got their information to the appropriate committee so they can get the trains moving on time. that's why -- one of the reasons democrats are saying we are not going to move this fast especially in a day and age where we are supposed to say politics as usual is going to be different and these people are not bought and sold because that is what donald trump ran on. we want to make sure that that is the case.
9:47 pm
it is cynical politically, but there is some -- it's understandable that they're doing that, on the other hand. >> do you think there is a chance that middle of the road republicans that there might be enough that one or more confirmations doesn't get through? >> probably not. there is always the exception. there is always the chance that we learn something that we didn't expect. who would have thought eight years ago that tom daschle, who would have been the democratic leader in the senate, would sink as the nominee, because he had his own personal tax issue. you never know. probably the more likely scenario and more likely thing we will look for is how many democrats peel off from their party and support the president's nominees. >> i want to thank our panel tonight. ahead, more breaking news. the killer, terrorist who attacked on new year's eve still at large tonight as the man hunt intensifies. we are learning more about some of his victims and clues he left behind.
9:48 pm
(vo) it's that time of year again. when you realize you still didn't get quite what you wanted. that's why verizon has the best deals of the year on the best network. like a free smartphone when you add a line or switch. no trade-in required. choose from the samsung galaxy j3, the lg k8 or stylo, or the the motoz play. all free. and as if you needed another reason, switch to verizon now and get up to $650 to cover your costs. there's still time to get exactly what you want at verizon.
9:49 pm
customer service!d. ma'am. this isn't a computer... wait. you're real? with discover card, you can talk to a real person in the u.s., like me, anytime. wow. this is a recording. no, i'm kidding. 100% u.s.-based customer service. here to help, not to sell. see me. see me. don't stare at me. see me. see me. see me to know that psoriasis is just something that i have. i'm not contagious. see me to know that... ...i won't stop until i find what works. discover cosentyx, a different kind of medicine for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. proven to help the majority of people find clear or almost clear skin. 8 out of 10 people saw 75% skin clearance at 3 months. while the majority saw 90% clearance. do not use if you are allergic to cosentyx. before starting, you should be tested for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur... ...tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms... ...such as fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to.
9:50 pm
if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me. see me. see me. on my way. find clear skin... and a clearer path forward. for a different kind of medicine, ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
9:51 pm
the other breaking news tonight we're following, escalating manhunt for the for the who gunned down dozens of people on new year's eve in
9:52 pm
istanbul. photos have been released to turkish media. as we said at the top of the program, isis claimed responsibility for the attack which claimed victims from across the globe celebrating the start of a new year at popular club when they came under fear. here again is our sara sidner. >> reporter: video from a party inside the upcale reina nightclub the moment istanbul entered 2017. just 75 minutes later, mayhem. flashes from a gun head by a man as he begins his killing spree, first outside shooting a police officer and security guard. then he opens fire inside. 39 people are killed. 69 injured. the victims from all over the world including the united states. >> i've been shot in the [ bleeped ] leg, man. these crazy people came in shooting everything. >> reporter: william jake raak survived the night of the terror. seven of the nine of the people
9:53 pm
he entered the club with left with bullet wounds. >> for me, i wake up in the united states. i eat breakfast. you guys wake up and have to think of this. it's so sad and i really wish everybody here the best. >> reporter: the worst was yet to cop for the victims' families. 24 hours after the massacre, the funerals began. this one for another security guard. his mother's moans pierced the silence. his father in shock. the son had survived a car bomb attack three weeks ago at an istanbul stadium, but not the nightclub massacre. he was one in a million. if he wasn't special, hundreds of people wouldn't have showed up. this sorrow will be multiplied 39 times. this is just one of the families forced to say good-bye to their young loved ones. after the reina nightclub attack. 27 of the 39 victims were were
9:54 pm
foreign nationals including a film producer and a fashion designer from india. a beautiful 19-year-old israeli citizen with a full life awaiting her. a massive manhunt is now under way man believed to be the lone attacker. turkish authorities have his fingerprints and image but still have not caught him. the aim of the attack though has come into focus as isis claimed responsibility using social media saying in part, a soldier of the brave caliphate attacked one of the most popular night clubs while christians were celebrating their holiday. but the majority killed were muslim. many from saudi arabia. the killer's ideology against western ideals failing to change minds but you can seeding in sewing is sorrow. >> sarah joins us tonight. this manhunt and the video just out of the alleged attacker, doing turkish authorities think they're closer to catching him? >> reporter: they do. they think they're getting
9:55 pm
closer and closer with every new clue. anderson, it has been more than 48 hours since this attack happened. there is a porous boarder with syria here and they don't know the attacker's name and don't know his whereabouts at this hour. >> turkey has experienced a big uptick in attacks. all claimed by isis? >> reporter: no, interestingly, there have been times and the government thought that isise perpetrated the attack. this is the first time which makes it significant that isis has officially said it was behind this terrible massacre. >> aub mentioned some of the security. i mean, how much security was there at there the club, do we know? >> reporter: we know that there were at least two security guards because two security guards were killed. we also know there was a policeman who was killed and in this particular neighborhood, anderson, it is -- it's quite a place where a lot of people end up going because there are cafes that are affordable. there are shops that people go
9:56 pm
to and at night, there are a lot of nightclubs. the reina nightclub is the most famous. certainly there are others in the area. it's usually filled with people anise stan but was on high alert. there was a bigger police presence in the neighborhood than there has been in awhile because of all the previous attacks including the attack in december where the security guard that we just showed who died in this particular attack avoided being killed when there was a bombing at the stadium. anderson? >> sarah, thanks for the reporting. more breaking news ahead including new evidence that appears to weaken trump's claim that we don't know who hacked the e-mails of the democratic party officials and hillary clinton's campaign chief. more on that ahead. there's druge aleve direct therapy. a high intensity tens device that uses technology once only in doctors' offices. for deep penetrating relief at the source. aleve direct therapy.
9:57 pm
[ rock music playing ] have fun with your replaced windows. run away! [ grunts ] leave him! leave him! [ music continues ] brick and mortar, what?! [ music continues ] [ tires screech ] [ laughs ] [ doorbell rings ] when you bundle home and auto insurance with progressive, you get more than a big discount. that's what you get for bundling home and auto! jamie! you get sneaky-good coverage. thanks. we're gonna live forever! anyone ever have occasional constipation, diarrhea, gas or bloating? she does. help defend against those digestive issues. take phillips' colon health probiotic caps daily... ...with three types of good bacteria. 400 likes? wow! phillips. be good to your gut.
9:58 pm
zero really can be a hero.ds) get zero down, zero deposit, zero due at signing, and zero first month's payment on select volkswagen models. right now at the volkswagen sign then drive event.
9:59 pm
10:00 pm
good evening. breaking news. digital fingerprints that intelligence officials say may make their hacking case against russia even stronger and weaken trump's claims we don't know. mr. trump says he knows things that the public doesn't know. we'll look closer at his record on delivering on those kind of statements. pamela brown is back with the breaking news. what's the latest evidence that has investigators once again pointing to russians? >> reporter: there is newly identified digital fingerprints pointing the finger once again to moscow according to u.s. intelligence officials. they were able to tie the hacks
10:01 pm
to specific keyboards with cyrillic text with the russian alphabet and able to do this by looking at the metadata and certain documents. they believe these keyboards made up the malware code used in the russian hacks. one official said this is just one piece of evidence in the overall puz. there are many factors at play leading the u.s. intelligence community to point the finger at russia. >> the president-elect has a different view whether or not the russians were involved, right? >> reporter: that's right. he continues to cast doubt on russia's involvement as recently as this is past weekend. he says part of the reason why he is steppical is because of the failed intelligence leading up to the iraq war. he says he knows what others don't know because he receives classified intelligence briefings periodically. it's unclear though exactly why he continues to be skeptical. he said he would come out with more information. his spokesperson sean spicer sort of walked that back and
10:02 pm
said he wasn't going to release new information but raise some of the questions he had. he did make the point, president-elect trump, that cyber hacks are tough to prove which is true. but in this case you have a consensus in the intelligence community blaming russia as the culprit. >> do we have any kind of idea of what intelligence the president-elect has, it would point to if it's not the russians? >> he's received briefings from his own advisors, periodic classified intelligence briefings. he's going to receive a specific briefing from leaders in the intelligence community soon. what's interesting is one of his advisors, james woolssly said on our air today contradicting trump saying he himself believes that russia is involved in the hack. so it's still unclear why exactly trump is reluctant to go on board with the u.s. intelligence community. >> pamela brown, thanks again. donald trump over the weekend
10:03 pm
promising to reveal what he knows shortly. it's not the first time he made a statement like that. tom foreman tonight looks back. >> reporter: donald trump has suggested many times he'll make his tax returns public. he hinted he would do it back in 2011. >> maybe i'm going to do the tax returns when obama does his birth certificate. >> he promised he would do it in 2014. >> if i decide to run for office, i'll produce my tax returns, absolutely. >> reporter: and he dared he would do it just months ago as his race against hillary clinton raged. >> let her release her e-mails and i'll release my tax returns immediately. >> reporter: but it has never happened. the whole trump team repeatedly retreating behind a claim tax professionals dismiss. >> i will absolutely give my return but i'm being audited now for two or three years. so i can't do it until the audit is finished obviously. i think people would understand that. >> reporter: another promise in limbo. the president-elect has pledged to explain how he'll step free of his private business
10:04 pm
interests. in late november, a spokesperson said trump would talk to reporters. >> soon but he's just got action packed days filled with meeting. > soon turned into nine days without a word. then a tweet from the president-elect pushed it two more weeks down the line. i will be holding a major news conference in new york city with my children on december 15th to discuss the fact that i will be leaving my great business in total. and that did not happen either. now team trump is promising the elusive explanation will come this month. though they have not yet announced details or a date. and so it goes. >> lying ted. lies, oh, he lies. >> reporter: as a candidate he threatened to sue challenger ted cruz for not being a natural born citizen. trump promised detailed documentation about his own wife's immigration record and he hinted the president's birth certificate even after it was produced was a fraud saying he
10:05 pm
had sent a team of his own investigators to hawaii and that he would publicly release what they had found. yet, he came up with no credible proof for any of that and finally acknowledged that obama was born in the u.s. >> he's a good man. long time. we've been friends for a long time. >> reporter: now despite promises of a widely open transparent administration, he is largely limiting his public statements to passing words and photo ops, tweets a few interviews and his own rallies. >> thank you very much. of course, many of his fans love the way he says what he wishes and shoves the critics aside. but pretty soon the promises he made directly to those voters will also be on the line. and then his follow-through could matter a whole lot more. anderson? >> tom, thanks very much. tom foreman, kellyanne conway will be helping with his follow through. we spoke to her earlier tonight.
10:06 pm
>> do you think, does donald trump, once he becomes pdetend actions that president obama has taken just in these last couple of days toward russian personnel being persona non grata in this country? >> what president trump will do, anderson, is confer with his national security and foreign policy team certainly on a regular basis and certainly his national security team on this particular issue and make the decisions then. we're not going to talk about those policies now because we're reminded every day that there's one president at a time. and so we'll respect that, but i think that president-elect trump has made clear what his position is on this generally and what his position is on this specifically as goes these allegations. and again, he is very happy and immediately jumped on the opportunity to receive the intelligence briefing here at trump tower. i was there when that was being discussed last week in palm beach. and we'll see how that goes. >> has president-elect trump
10:07 pm
talked about going to meet vladimir putin or having putin come here to meet him? obviously, you know, they clearly seem to be trying to reset a relationship in a different way than the previous administration. and reset is a bad term to use. but is that something the president would like to do, meet vladimir putin face to face as soon as possible? >> there certainly is an interest in improving relations between the two countries. i love the word reset. it reminds us all of the disastrous quote russian reset with that silly little gadget that i guess secretary of state passed and again future presidential candidate was dispatched to do on behalf of president obama who tried to improve russian relations. people should be reminded. we will join with different countries that want to help in such an important goal like stopping the advance of isis which is not retreating, certainly not the jv team. in terms of who is inviting whom to their countries, we're loath
10:08 pm
to talk about because one president at a time. i would note with the exception of one foreign leader, that since the president one or two foreign lieds are since president-elect trump was elected on november 8th, he has talked -- he and vice president pence have talked to most of those leaders on he the phone. they have not met with them to show respect for the president in the only office right now. >> president-elect trump rang in the new year in florida. gave a speech to guests celebrating the. i want to play something from that speech. >> hussein and the whole family from the most people from dubai are here tonight. >> that was apparently a reference to hussein, his billionaire business partner in dubai. can you confirm that's who he was speaking about? if it is, it's raised questions about he's obviously turning his businesses over to his adult sons. because he felt it was visually
10:09 pm
important as president to know we have a conflict of interest. some people would raise questions is celebrating new year's eve with a business partner from dubai three weeks before the inauguration separating himself. >> i find that to be so completely ridiculous. this man is allowed to have a new year's eve celebration with his friends and business partners or his aquaintances. i've spent a lot of time at mar-a-lago over this break. i had dinner with the husseins one night. hussein and his wife are absolutely lovely people. the idea that he's giving a speech recognizing a friend and his beautiful wife and people are going to twist that around to somehow it's a business favor, we've got to get ahold of ourselves here that this man can't be at a social event. if you took that example to its extreme, nobody would be able to be friends with anybody else. i saw you on new year's eve having a great time with kathy griffin. i find that to be very
10:10 pm
entertaining. i'll leave it at that. nobody is saying but do you endorse the maker of the shirt she had on? let's not take things to the extreme. donald trump said it best in the interview with the "new york times" november 21st or 22nd when he said that you know, if it were up to some people, he would never talk to his children again. it's not going to happen. one can disentangle their business interests to the fact he's going to be 100% committed to his job as president of the great united states and yet still have a relationship with his children. >> just following up on the same topic, the press conference president trump talked about regarding his business ties, any idea whether he that is going to be? it was already rescheduled? >> i believe it was rescheduled for january 11th originally. if the lawyers and compliance officers feel like we're ready, we'll stick to that date. it's up to them. i talked to the president-elect today about press conference. i know that's the current plan. that's next week.
10:11 pm
>> i just want to quickly go back to one thing earlier. the information about the hacks that trump says he knows. he says "you'll find on tuesday or wednesday." will he announce what the information is tuesday or wednesday as he said he would after being briefed? >> he didn't say that -- he didn't necessarily say he would announce it. he's saying we'll find out, he'll find out. it's all very contingent on what these intelligence officials reveal in their briefing. everybody should be very happy that the president-elect is open to receiving that briefing. >> the public will find out he wasn't necessarily maybe he was just speaking we'll find out and then we'll see. is that what you're saying? ? >> it could be that. we will see. as you know, it can come in a tweet, in a press conference. it can come in a statement. this is donald trump. he's going to communicate with people the way he always has. >> it could come in an interview on this broadcast. >> yes, he could. i totally recommend it. i had a great time myself. thank you, anderson. >> thanks always.
10:12 pm
appreciate it. >> thanks. not holding my breath on that one. what our panel of national security experts make of the president-elect and his team's reluctanceton point the finger at russia. later, what's behind chicago's murder epidemicing? ok, let me explain.
10:13 pm
this is your tax return. ok. now, there are many right ways to fill out this tax return. and the irs will accept them all. one of them gets you the most money back. isn't that the one you want? that's the one i want. that's the one you want. mmm... you touched all these. don't just get your taxes done, amy. get your taxes won.
10:14 pm
10:15 pm
talking tonight about new evidence intelligence officials say they have tying russia to the hacking of tdemocrats democ campaign chief. and over the weekend, iraq and wmd was cited as a reason for skepticism.
10:16 pm
steven hall joins us from the cia, former cia officer bob baer and michael durand author of "america's rise to dominance in the middle east." mike, cnn is reporting u.s. intelligence officials identified digit counsel fingerprints pointing to the russian government. yet president-elect trump says the hacking could be somebody else. is it possible trump knows something that the president and the entire intelgence ngrey a members of co who get intelligence briefings don't know? >> i think this is really more a question of domestic politics than any kind of assessment of russia. this claim about russian hack or these allegations about russian hacking are taking place within a very specific context suggesting that somehow the trump election wasn't legitimate. and i think the easiest way for him to just avoid that whole discussion and shove it aside is to say look, we don't know what ppened the oer thing is he doesn't want to be botched in in his
10:17 pm
relations with putin by president obama. he wants to engage with putin in his own time and his own way. this is a way of delaying the whole thing. that's how i see it. >> steve, what do you make of trump continuing to question the analysis about russia behind it? >> i think it's going to continue to complicate his initial relationship with the intelligence community. i mean look, there's a lot of professionals, certainly i worked with them in the cia that republicans, democrats, people who are pro-cia and anty cia. this is a little different. not only has he cast aspersions on the intelligence and organizations themselves, but on the issue of russian hacking he has said i doubt what you're telling me and turned around and done a virtual high five to putin and saying good job with how you handled this whole situation. that's going to sting. >> and bob, the former cia director james woolsey who is a
10:18 pm
national security adviser to the president elect said he does believe the russians hacked but it doesn't mean others were hacking, as well. is that a real possibility that it wasn't solely the russians? >> anderson, i think it's case closed here. it's kgb code. the whole question of reuse have they used this code in the past to hack, yes, in the ukraine. and then you've got the metadata. this is as good as it gets. this is clearly a russian hack, yes, somebody else could have stolen the code or given it away. there's too many factors in this to leave any doubt it was russian intelligence who got into the dnc and hillary's computers. there's no way hcan deny this. this administration is going to make that very clear before it's out the door. >> you know, mike, we heard from kellyanne conway in the last hour president-elect trump is going to getting a briefing this week in trump tower. the fact he has expressed doubts publicly will the intelligence
10:19 pm
on russia's involvement, do you foresee him being open to what intelligence officials will tell him in that briefing or as you said, he doesn't want to box himself into a corner in his future dealings with putin? >> i think he wants to play the clock out till he's in place and he's got his own team in place. he's got mike pompeo at cia to run that building. he can start making decisions and actually carry out the policies that he wants to carry out. right now, he's in an awkward position where he's being asked to make very kind of significant statements about relations with russia when he doesn't actually have any of the tools of power in his hand. president obama keeps telling us there's only one president at a time. yet, everyone is turning to donald trump to say what he thinks should be done about this. >> bob, i mean, when you have a president-elect coming in who has expressed skepticism about certainly past assessments by
10:20 pm
the intelligence community, what kind of an impact do you think that has for once he becomes president and his relationships with the intelligence community? >> well, i think it's debilitating, anderson. anything he does with russia is going to be looked through the lens of this hacking and did the russians help him, did the russians tip the election. i mean, there's a lot of people that don't like trump that are calling him you know, a russian proxy of some sort or too close to putin or whatever or putin's choice. it's going to hurt him in anything he does and even tillerson, if he gets in, the fact if he's secretary of state and he has financial ties to russian oil which means putin, the whole administration, this is going to be a cloud over them for a very, very long time. i don't see any way out of it. >> steve, does it -- is it possible that by doubting that russia's involved, you're actually encouraging future hacking by sort of raising questions about him just kind of
10:21 pm
saying it's a really hard thing to figure out and computers are just inherently unsafe? >> i'm not sure that it necessarily discourages future hacking. you know, what has happened is in terms of encouraging and discouraging things, the president-elect has encouraged russia to continue to invest in him which i think is exactly what putin is doing at this particular point. i certainly don't think it will stop the russians from doing any additional hacking. whether or not there are other hackers out there, one thing i can also say is in terms of making a distinction of future hackers between some 400-pound guy in his basement someplace, that's very, very different from a state actor from somebody like russia hacking. the difference is like watching peewee football and the nfl. you can tell. the intelligence community is very good at determining who is doing these hackings. >> mike, you agree that you can actually tell that it is possible to figure out identity,
10:22 pm
not just well, you know, it's a tricky thing? >> i think the vectors are pointing toward russia. we'll never know for sure, but let's assume it is. but look, president obama for the last eight years has had a policy of appeasing russia and syria, in the ukraine with regard to hacking, we had edward snow deny and his very, very close relations with russian intelligence. obama never took any steps against russia until the 11th hour, three weeks before he leaves office. what did he do? he expelled 35 diplomats which is nothing. so if donald trump is inheriting a policy of appeasing russia, that's obama's policy. he's put us in this position. >> steve hall, michael durand, bob baer, thanks for joining us president-elect trump spent more than the last year making clear his opinions about vladimir putin. he made a number of public
10:23 pm
statements. next fareed zakaria with what those good vibes could mean for america and the rest of the world. dy. it keeps us comfortable and asleep at night. start the new year off right with the best sleep of your life. buy your tempur-pedic now for as low as $25 a month and a 90-night free trial. call or click today. justice is spelled b-o-x.hero, say hello to a powerful tool that gives you options to fit your budget. ♪ oh, i'm tied to this chair! ♪ dun-dun-daaaa! i don't know that an insurance-themed comic book is what we're looking for. did i mention he can save people nearly $600?
10:24 pm
you haven't even heard my catchphrase. i'm all done with this guy. box him up. that's terrible. now? excuse me. again? be right back. always running to the bathroom because your bladder is calling the shots? you may have oab. enough of this. we're going to the doctor. take charge and ask your doctor about myrbetriq. that's myr-be-triq, the first and only treatment in its class for oab symptoms of urgency frequency, and leakage. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase blood pressure. tell your doctor right away if you have trouble emptying your bladder, or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may cause serious allergic reactions. if you experience swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue or difficulty breathing, stop taking myrbetriq and tell your doctor right away. myrbetriq may affect or be affected by other medications. before taking myrbetriq tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure common cold symptoms, urinary tractinfection, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness and headache.
10:25 pm
it's time for you to make the calls, so call your doctor to see if myrbetriq may be right for you. visit myrbetriq.com to learn more. tadirectv now. stream all your entertainment! anywhere! anytime!
10:26 pm
can we lose the 'all'. there's no cbs and we don't have a ton of sports. anywhere, any... let's lose the 'anywhere, anytime' too. you can't download on-the-go, there's no dvr, yada yada yada. stream some stuff! somewhere! sometimes! you totally nailed that buddy. simple. don't let directv now limit your entertainment. only xfinity gives you more to stream to any screen. the breaking news tonight, u.s. intelligence officials saying newly identified digital fingerprints kate moss quo was behind the hacking into democratic servers in the run up to the election. president-elect trump's been skeptical to say the least of russian involvement and continued to praise and throw olive branchs to vladimir putin. the question is what that means for american foreign policy when he takes office in two weeks. we'll talk about that tonight, fare fareed zakaria. >> this embrace of putin by
10:27 pm
trump and trump by putin, do you think this is a short-lived bromance? >> certainly history would suggest that. in a way, this is the third attempt by an administration to do a reset. the reason these resets have failed and suddenly the reason you would imagine this one will have some trouble is, russia right now is in a very different place than many people realize. russia is playing the role of a kind of spoiler in the international system. it's been doing it in europe, interfering in elections trying to weaken the european union, trying to weaken the liberal democratic order itself. that's a position where it's very difficult to see how america finds common interests with a country that is systematically trying to undermine america's greatest achievement over the last 70 years. >> and in the -- sanctions russia has decided not to retaliate for the sanctions that the obama administration hit
10:28 pm
them with. is that solely about just kind of wanting to wait out the end of the obama term and just kind of start with a fresh slate with trump? >> i think it's a kind of preemptive concession to trump or a gesture of good will. putin also likes to surprise. he does this quite well. he's very nimble and thoughtful in this way. the whole strategy in europe has been this kind of black art of cyber warfare, black ops, special ops, not traditional uses of power. even in the case of the united states what he did was you know, very inventive ingenious. he's always trying to do something unusual. >> "the new york times" last week, one of the articles said that russia was an enemy on friday morning, a friend by the afternoon. can you ever remember a time when there were neese these mixed messages of this magnitude. >> i don't think i've ever seen
10:29 pm
something like this where an outgoing administration has identified serious national security problems with a country. these have now gone on for two administrations. and the incoming administration is signaling something quite different. what's even more unusual about it is it is really just the president because jim mattis, incoming secretary of defense seems to have a different view and tough view on russia. rex tillerson we don't know. as the head of exxon, did he deals with russia. we don't know what his personal views are as secretary of state of the united states. the national security advisor has generally been a hawk though has some pro-russia leanings and the entire bureaucracy of the state department, the defense department has been wary of russia partly again because they've been burned trying to trust russia. >> trump tweeted china has been taking out massive amounts of money and wealth in the u.s. in totally one-sided trade but
10:30 pm
won't help we north carolina. nice. >> trump has a strange view of the world where he wants to be very confrontational with china and very accommodating to russia. and i at least think in some ways this gets it backwards because china at the end of the day is trying to be part of this global order. i mean certainly it's done well economically but whether you look at peacekeeping, whether you look at the u.n. and a whole variety of things, global warming, they have been getting more and more responsible over time. russia, on the other hand, has been less and less responsible and more of a spoiler. in a sense, it's explained the last 25 years. for the chinese for the last 25 years have grown in wealth and power and status in this western international order. they want to be more important within it, but they don't want to wreck it. for russia as putin has often said, it has been a disaster. he described the collapse of the soviet union as the greatest
10:31 pm
geopolitical ca tas fro fee. many russians believe the west has taken advantage of russia and placed it in a subordinate position. they see the last 25 years as being all about loss and they're trying to wreck the system in some way. i get why russians might see the world that way. why an american president would endorse that view is the puzzle. >> fareed, thanks. >> pleasure. just ahead, the huge opportunity president trump will have to reshape the supreme court and federal courts across the country. it's your last chance to save during the final days of the ford year end event. hurry in for the best deals of the season on ford, america's most awarded brand. with the most 5-star ratings... and the highest owner loyalty... giving drivers what matters most. that's how you become america's best-selling brand. just announced, get $1500 total cash on select models,
10:32 pm
on top of the best offers of the season. hurry, the final days of the ford year end event end january third. that i was ion the icelandic game show. and everyone knows me for discounts, like safe driver and paperless billing. but nobody knows the box behind the discounts. oh, it's like my father always told me -- "put that down. that's expensive." of course i save people an average of nearly $600, but who's gonna save me? [ voice breaking ] and that's when i realized... i'm allergic to wasabi. well, i feel better. it's been five minutes. talk about progress. [ chuckles ] okay.
10:33 pm
10:34 pm
10:35 pm
president-elect donald trump has vowed to fill the vacate seat on the sfreep court with a nominee as conservative as antonin scalia. beyond the court, donald trump will have an even bigger opportunity to reshape the federal court for years. there are more than 100 vacancies in the nation's appeals and district courts waiting to be filled. pamela brown joinsus how many vacancies will trump have to fill when taking offi? >> as of now, there are 103 vacancies, anderson and 38 judicial emergencies that means these are vacancies there for an extended period of time. so donald trump has a unique opportunity here to change the face of the courts, not just with the supreme court but also
10:36 pm
the lower court with these vacancies when it comes to abortion rights, when it comes to gun control, transgender rights. experts we've spoken to say that 103 is an unusually high number of vacancies. you look at president obama when he entered office, he only had 59 vacancies, anderson. >> can you explain why there are so many vacancies for trump to fill compared to past presidents? >> well, one reason is judicial warfare. that friction between president obama and congressional republicans blocking those he appointed. in the end, president obama appointed more than 300 judges. of course, it's a different situation with trump. congress is on his side with republicans as a majority in the house and the senate. and don't underestimate the power of just one judge as you'll recall with president obama's immigration plan, it was a district judge in texas that blocked it. it went all the way up to the supreme court and it is still blocked to this day. >> pamela brown, thanks.
10:37 pm
a lot to discuss. joining me former federal prosecutor jeffrey toobin and jonathan turley, professor of law at george washington university. jeffrey, how important are filling these vacancies? the number of issues these kind of judges rule on? >> it's enormously important in terms of what they do. but it's even more important for how long they serve. because all of these judges under the constitution serve for life. so there are still many judges who were appointed by ronald reagan, anthony kennedy on the supreme court is still there appointed in 1987. so this is an opportunity for a president to extend his influence decades after he leaves office. >> and jonathan, given the number of vacancies, seeps like trump is going to be able to shape the courts in a way that president obama wasn't. >> he will. he controls the senate through his party. so these vacancies will be filled which is good news for many judges who are desperate t have colleagues. and i do think it's important to
10:38 pm
remember these lower court judges are subject to the rules of precedent. and so they don't have as much leeway obviously as someone on the supreme court. and there's a desperate need to fill these slots. this is a very high number, and because of that, a lot of these courts are really suffering. i talked to federal judges all the time at judicial conferences. and it's in every single circuit, the judges desperately need these to be filled. >> and that's absolutely true but i think it's worth pointing out precisely why there are all these vacancies. you touched on it a little bit with pam. mitch mcconnell as the majority leader of the senate simply decided he was not going to confirm judges in anywhere near the numbers that had been done historically. most famously, most notoriously he refused to hold a vote on merit garland for the supreme court. it was also the district and circuit courts. it's not some accident that
10:39 pm
there are all these vacancies. this was intentional on the part of mish mcconnell. >> there's a tendency in washington to paraphrase richard iii to remember your friends as better than they were and your foes as worse than they are. the democrats plays the same type of politics. in the end, president obama currently has 329 confirmed judges. that's three more than bush had in his two terms. jeffrey is absolutely right. there has been a virtual stoppage but that is by no means unique in washington. this was much more successful in this case. but the politics unfortunately is the same. >> no, i think that's actually not -- i mean, this is an order of magnide different. there was something called the thurmond rule named after strom thurmond where judicial confirmations would stop the summer of a presidential election. that has been the case, but this was two years. two years of no confirmations and that was without precedent.
10:40 pm
that's why there are double the number of vacancies for president trump than thereere for president obama. >> but jeffrey, to be fair, you should keep in mind in the context of this, this was a president that violated the recess appointments claus. it was absolutely warfare in terms of presidential power versus congressional power on a dozen different fronts. a lot of stuff stopped because of those conflicts. >> just in terms of the supreme court, jeff, which obviously is probably foremost on so many people's minds, is there a clearer sense of who trump may look to? >> well, he's done something unusual and kind of positive in that he has announced the group of people from which he will choose his candidate. so we know unless he violates what he said, that he is going to choose from the 20 people that he's named. all of them are very conservative. certainly the republicans i talked to say the most likely are an appeals court judge in
10:41 pm
alabama, gosh, i'm blanking on his name. >> pryor. >> sorry. are you talking about judge pryor. >> yes on the 11th circuit and. >> shon: sykes on the 7th circuit in chicago both of whom they respected, very conservative, likely to vote to oppose roe versus wade. i think the likely votes of any of the 20 would be very similar to justice scalia. >> jeffrey toobin, professor jonathan turley, thank you. coming up, it's the kind of record no city wants to break. 2016 was the deadliest in nearly two decades in chicago. 762 murders. what the city is planning to do about it next. ♪ if you're gonna make an entrance...
10:42 pm
[car driving upon the water] ♪
10:43 pm
wis that they contourt tempur-peto your body.s... it keeps us comfortable and asleep at night. start the new year off right with the best sleep of your life. buy your tempur-pedic now for as low as $25 a month and a 90-night free trial. call or click today.
10:44 pm
10:45 pm
new numbers from the chicago police department tell a very grim story. 2016 was the deadliest year in nearly two decades with 762 murders in the city, more than 4300 shooting victims. in parts of chicago, gun violence is a sad fact of life affecting everyone including the city's youngest residents.
10:46 pm
rosa florez reports. >> i knew it was a gunshot because when i hear, i know it wasn't firecrackers. and that's why i know it was like gunshots. >> reporter: she was sitting on her grandma's front porch when all hell broke loose this summer. the 10-year-old says her dad used his body to shield her from the flying bullets. >> i heard a lot of like -- i saw all the blood on his shirt. i thought i wouldn't see him again. >> reporter: her downstairs neighbor devin henderson was playing games by a window. >> when i heard the gunshots, i got on the floor. my mom grabbed me. she put me in the room. so to hide me. >> reporter: etira and devin were lucky to survive the hail of bullets but so many children are not. cnn analyze the police crime
10:47 pm
data. one child is killed in chicago every week on average. that's a figure that's been true for the past quarter century. why is chicago so deadly? >> officers are under attack. >> reporter: in an interview with "60 minutes," former chicago police superintendent gary mccarthy says chicago cops are not actively policing out of fear of putting themselves and their families in jeopardy. >> police are on their heels. they're on their heels for a number of reasons. we see the results, don't we? we're reaching a state of lawlessness. >> reporter: of the 762 murders in 2016, 65% of the killings are happening in five districts on the south and west sides of the city. where 59 rival gangs fight each other for thert, police say. to curb the violence, more officers are being hired and gunshot detection technology allowing a faster response is being purchased but until the killings stop -- >> i feel scared in chicago.
10:48 pm
i want to move from chicago. >> reporter: children caught in the crosshairs are left dodging bullets. since the two most likely places to get shot in chicago are the street or even the home. >> i feel sad and scared. i don't want to be shot. >> rosa joins us now from chicago. people you talked to, do they think things can be turned around there. >> you know, anderson, people find hope in the little things that they can do to keep themselves safe. let me explain. i talked to a lot of people. they were sitting on their front porches. if you looked around you could see bullet holes all around them. and you know, they looked at me and said, you know, we have to find hope somewhere and we can't wait for the government to fix this problem. so what do they do? mothers teach their children how to dodge bullets. let me repeat that so we can process this. in the city in the united states of america, some mothers teach their children how to duck and dodge bullets in order for them
10:49 pm
to be safe in these communities. i mean, a grandmother who patrols her street to make sure that it's safe for her grandchildren to go out and play. so again, people are finding hope in some of these communities and what they can do to keep themselves and their children safe. >> rosa flores, thank you very much. a lot to discuss. senior political commentator david axelrod who hosts the ax files podcast on cnn.com. >> david, you lived in chicago for decades. you know the city. it's your home. 762 murders in 2016. more than new york, los angeles combined. what is behind these numbers? >> well, one thing that's behind them for sure is there's been a real slowdown of police action since the shooting of laquan mcdonald erupted as an issue chicago, the young man shot as he was walking away from police 16 times by a police officer who
10:50 pm
has since been indicted for murder. all of the ramifications and reverberations from that have left the police department demoralized and really standing down in many interactions, arrests are way arrests are down, stops are way down, because police officers don't want to become engaged. that's certainly part of the story the other part of the story is a hong history of gang d drug activy in some of the neighborhoods of chicago that have basically been stripped of all economic activity. you've got a lot of young men, 18-25 who have very little to do but go out there and work for these gangs or with these gangs, and a lot of the influx of guns into the city has been a long-standing problem. many come from indiana, but not exclusively. so you've got a perfect storm of problems that have confronted the city. >> this was happening in a white suburb with ese kind of headlines.
10:51 pm
there would be more national outrage. chicago is president obama's adopted hometown. why do you think it wasn't a priority for him. could he have done more? should he have done more? >> i think that -- i'm sure he wanted to do more. and i'm sure he will do more once he's out of office. this issue of youth violence was always one of great concern to him, but these problems are deeply ingrained. they require huge infusions of resources and attention. and when the president took office. he took office in a time of enormous economic crisis. it wasn't the optimal time to make those kinds of investments
10:52 pm
there are investments in education, in health care and some of these other priorities were helpful to the community. they're not nearly enough. >> david axelrod, thanks. quick break, when we come back, to make you smile, the end of the long night. the first ridiculist of 2017. all right, here we go, baby! hey! we're doing the wave! taking off with me! for 42 minutes he's been trying to bring an entire stadium to its feet. you missed it, buddy. it's all good. and much like this hero, courtyard is all about the game. one, two, three... waaaaave! enjoy your phone! you too. all right, be cool. you got the amazing new iphone 7 on the house by switching to at&t... what??.... aand you got unlimited data because you have directv?? (laughs to self in disbelief) okay, just a few more steps... door!
10:53 pm
it's cool! get the iphone 7 on us and unlimited data when you switch to at&t and have directv. we have your fingerprints soon the safe., a photo of you opening the safe. a post using the hashtag "#justrobbedthesafe" so, what are we supposed to think? switching to geico could save you a bunch of money on car insurance. excellent point. case dismissed. geico. because saving fifteen percent or more on car insurance woo! because saving fifteen percent or more on car insurance is always a great answer. just checking my free credit score at credit karma.
10:54 pm
what the? you're welcome. i just helped you dodge a bullet. but i was just checking my... shhhhh... don't you know that checking your credit score lowers it. just be cool. actually, checking your credit score with credit karma doesn't affect it at all. are you sure? positive. huh, so i guess i could just check my credit score then. oh! check out credit karmaoday. credit karma. give yourself someredit. sorry about that.
10:55 pm
see me. see me. don't stare at me. see me. see me. see me to know that psoriasis is just something that i have. i'm not contagious. see me to know that... ...i won't stop until i find what works. discover cosentyx, a different kind of medicine for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. proven to help the majority of people find clear or almost clear skin. 8 out of 10 people saw 75% skin clearance at 3 months. while the majority saw 90% clearance. do not use if you are allergic to cosentyx. before starting, you should be tested for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur... ...tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms... ...such as fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to. if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me. see me. see me. on my way. find clear skin... and a clearer path forward. for a different kind of medicine, ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
10:56 pm
time now for the ridiculist. we would be remiss if we didn't point out, america was graced with one last moment that was volcanically awkward.
10:57 pm
it happened on new year's eve, i didn't see it while it was happening, because i had a standing date for kathy griffin to verbally abuse me. as she and i were ringing in the new year, elsewhere in times square, mariah carey performed auld lang syne. if you're allergic to cringing, you may want to avert your eyes, ears and concept of space and time. ♪ ♪ well, happy new year. we can't hear, but i'll just go through the motions. okay? ♪ all right. we didn't have a check for this song, we'll just say, it went
10:58 pm
the to number one and that's what it is. okay. >> i'm no colombo. but i think something may have gone askew. ♪ but i like the way you >> i'm going to let the audience sing, okay? ♪ >> we didn't have a sound check for this new year's baby, that's okay, you guys. >> now, listen, i feel bad for mariah carey, you can't even call it a lip syncing problem, there was nothing sync. and then all of a sudden, there was this. ♪
10:59 pm
>> and you just don't get any better. >> okay. i'm really starting to think there may have been some sort of a technical problem. the thing i'm more curious about, is how someone from 2009 got into the crowd. the glasses just say 2009, don't they? if only she would have used her powers to travel into the future to fix the sound. do you think this is going to break the stride of miss mariah carey? absolutely not, she wrote this, [ bleep ] happens. have a happy and healthy new year, everybody. here's to making more headlines in 2017. that's the spirit, i think. that's the mariah carey i know and love. i don't actually love her, that's the mariah carey i heard about.
11:00 pm
it's a perfect way to end one year and start a new one on the ridiculist. thank you for watching. cnn's coverage continues. this is cnn newsroom. police suspect this is the gunman who killed dozens. and chicago marks its deadliest year in two decades. we'll explore what's behind the spike in homicides in america's third largest city. hello, and welcome to our viewers in the united states and around the world. i'm michael holmes, and this is newsroom l.a.

49 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on