Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  January 13, 2017 6:00am-7:01am PST

6:00 am
and good morning, i'm carol costello, thank you so much for joining me. inauguration day getting closer but the president-elect's cabinet picks are keeping their distance from the key positions, the president-elect is in new york city for more meetings at the trump tower, this week exposing how far the nominees are from trump on major issues. live in the capitol with more. good morning. >> reporter: good morning, this was one of the big takeaways from the week of confirmation hearings on capitol hill that trump and many of his -- the
6:01 am
president-elect this morning trying to frame this as something as a good thing saying he wants his nominees to be themselves and express their own thoughts. >> in the first week of confirmation hearings for key members of donald trump's cabinet, his nominees braking from his biggest campaign promises and policies like the president-elect's soft stance on russia. >> if putin likes donald trump, i consider that an asset. >> trump's nominees for defense secretary and secretary of state taking in more adversarial stance. >> i would consider the principle threats to start with russia. >> we're not likely to ever be friends. >> in confirmed, rex tillerson would america's top diplomat but says he hasn't even spoking with trump about russia. >> i would have thought russia would be at the very top of that considering all of the actions taking plain. >> that has not occurred yet,
6:02 am
senator. >> pretty amazinamazing. >> after doubting u.s. intelligence, trump now believes russia was the culprit. >> i think it was russia. >> reporter: mike pompeo says russian cyber hacking will need a robust response. >> america has an obligation and cia has a part of that obligation to -- >> to bring back illegal interrogation tactics. >> would i approve waterboarder? you bet your as. >> absolutely improper and illegal. >> absolutely not. >> i don't think we should come close to crossing the line that is beyond what we as americans would expect to follow -- >> his promise to build a wall on the u.s./mexico border. >> we're going to build a wall. >> physical barrier in and of itself will not do the job. >> trump's vowed during the
6:03 am
campaign to temporarily ban all muslims entering the u.s. >> i have no belief and do not support the idea that muslims as a religious group should be denied admission to the united states. i don't think it's ever appropriate to focus on something like religion as the own factor. >> i do not support targeting any particular group. >> next week will be another big week up here on capitol hill for the trump administration, serve confirmation hearings, including education commerce and education secretary. carol. >> thanks so much. let's talk about this more with me now is tam ron keith for npr and david louder for the los angeles times. welcome to both of you. >> thank you. >> as you might expect, trump tweeted about this this morning, all of my cabinet nominees are looking good and doing a great job. i want them to express their own
6:04 am
thoughts not mine. >> david, do you think mr. trump means that? >> he may. you know, he does to his credit, he wants people who have strong views and long careers and are not simply -- but these are core issues that trump campaigned on and one after another you see his nominees walking away from positions that he took during his campaign. the ones that we just heard about and others as well, both tillerson and mattis talked about how the iran nuclear deal maybe they didn't support it because it was the best that could be done right now and should be kept. we talked about keeping sanctions against russia and rex tillerson talked about global warming is real not a hoax as the president-elect has referred to. there's a gap between what the
6:05 am
president-elect says he believes and what his chosen people to run the government say they believe. >> david is exactly right, we're not talking about the small stuff here, we're talking about stuff like the iran deal and torture tactics. sean spicer, told fox when you come into a trump administration it's the agenda you are implementing not your own. does it sound like sean spicer has it right and that's going to happen? >> you know, the thing about donald trump is that he has shown himself at times to be persuadable. so for instance, on waterboarding, during the campaign on multiple occasions, we should bring it back, seemsz like a good idea. then there was an interview he did with a large group of new york times reporters and said when he spoke to general mattis for his interview, general mattis said he opposed waterboarder and donald trump expressed surprise and have to
6:06 am
consider -- he has shown himself willing to be persuaded by those around him and he says he surrounds himself with the best people. this is one of those things president-elect donald trump has not been in a political leadership position before. and this is one ever those things that i think that he and america is and his cabinet are going to have to feel out over the next several years. >> so there's also this, trump's pick mr. tillerson, he testified he had not even talked to trump about russia policy so is it possible that these different viewpoints are a surprise to mr. trump too? >> yeah, they could be. and general kelly, his pick to head homeland security, testified that he had not had any conversations and didn't really know where the administration was going to go on the question of what to do with the almost 800,000 people
6:07 am
who have been shielded from deportation under the obama administration's so-called daca program, dreamer act, young people. so it's clear that there are some big issues of policy that the president-elect has not engaged on. he has shown he's quite interested in policies having to do with jobs. we've seen that repeatedly as he's tweeted and talked about things like carrier corporation and general motors and toyota. on a lot of other issues, some of which they'll deal with in about a week. he does not appear to have engaged in the details and maybe not even the broad general strokes of policy. and that could be a big issue going forward about who's really running this government. >> well, the other issue, let's say the argument over policy gets heated, mr. trump is president. he has the final say. so will his nominees feel strongly enough about their positions to resign, because that's possible, right?
6:08 am
>> i mean, that's a ways down the road but i think that -- i heard someone on npr this morning who we interviewed who is close to president-elect trump's pick for cia and he said that if donald trump asked him to do something illegal, like waterboarding, that he would resign rather than do it. that isn't pompeo saying that himself, and it's a long way down the road and it's not clear that the president would ask anyone to do anything illegal but you know, again, this is something that is going to be played out over the coming months. >> and i see you struggling because we've never had a president-elect like this but it's hard to repredict the future. >> absolutely. >> appreciate your insight. to washington now, a busy day for the house kicks off in just minutes, lawmakers set to
6:09 am
huddle -- the cia and fbi and nsa and director ever national intelligence and it comes as vice president biden confirms what cnn has already accurately reported, that the intelligence community briefed trump and president obama, that russia might have compromising unsubstantiated information on trump and those officials plan to tell the president-elect. >> their argument was that this is something that the press already had, not just here in the united states but other places and that it would be -- they would be -- they didn't use the word derelict. it was their obligation to inform not only us but the president-elect that this was out there. >> cnn justice correspondent evan perez joins us now with more. >> good morning, vice president joe biden says the intelligence officials briefed him and president obama about the unverified claims that russia
6:10 am
may have compromising information on the president-elect. cnn was first to report that the nation's top intelligence chiefs presented both the president and president-elect with a two-page written synopsis of these claims which came from a 35-opposition research dossier and based on russian sources. the u.s. intelligence agencies haven't verified these allegations and leon panetta and pentagon secretary, explained to erin burnnet why they would include that information. >> the fact is it is extremely sensitive. and i think the problem is that the intelligence agencies would have felt that they would be at fault if they didn't bring that to attention of the principles and this is what happens in intelligence briefings.
6:11 am
if we have information that is unsubstantiated by very sensitive, it's important to bring it to the attention of the key people so that they know that this information is out there, even though you make very clear that it is unsubstantiated and uncorroborated, it's still important information for them to have. >> the four top intelligence chiefs met with trump to brief him on the meddling. sources tells us that james comey briefed trump in a russian claims in a one on one conversation at the meeting. it's the fbi's counterintelligence division that's leading the investigation into what the russian spy agencies are up to here, carol. but we're told the conversation was cordial and fbi by the way has declined to comment on this matter and we know that trump has said the allegations are all false, carol. >> all right, evan perez reporting live from washington. let's talk more about this
6:12 am
three-page addendum with unsubstantiated allegations in it. with me now is jackie spierer of california. good morning. >> good morning, carol. >> there's an intel briefing with house members on this unsubstantiated report that russia has information on donald trump they could use against him. you were briefed earlier on that and i know you can't get into. but what can you tell us about the briefing? >> the briefing and as i member of the intelligence committee i'm continuously briefed on the issues around the world. the briefing this morning will go into greater detail in terms of the hacking that went on by russian operatives. so it's going to be much more granular than the unclassified briefing and report that people have received. >> did the intel chiefs bring it up at all, these unsubstantiated
6:13 am
claims? >> actually, he did not. these were stories that had been circulating obviously mother jones had carried references to some of this earlier. but it was not brought up in our original briefing this week. >> why was it important for the intelligence community to bring that brief to the attention of done add trump and president obama? >> i think that the community feels compelled to brief the president and in this case the president-elect on anything and everything they have been made aware of. they have been recipients of this information from news sources and from others in the intelligence community around the world. so it was incumbent on them to brief the president-elect about what might surface publicly. >> and in your mind, should the public know about this?
6:14 am
would it have been better if the public had been kept in the dark? >> well, the public always wants to know and the real question here is can any of this be substan substan stanciated the question becomes will the ic community actually investigate this and will they inform us. >> do you think it should? >> i certainly believe that the intelligence committee should be informed as to whether or not they have completed an investigation and whether they have found anything that merits our concern. >> as far as russia's role in the dnc hacking, what more needs to be done about that that's not being done now? >> well, the president has taken actions overtly. he has certainly not going to telegraph to anyone what he does covertly. but i believe a strong message needs to be sent to russia.
6:15 am
this is really un -- it's never happened before that there has been an effort to so undermine our democratic system. so if you remember during the campaign it was donald trump who kept saying the electoral process was rigged, it was rigged. that was all i believe coming in part from russia and as soon as he won, everyone dropped the term rigged. well, it was rigged and we need to recognize that our system is not fail safe and we must take steps to protect the electoral process, to protect the tallying the votes and i still don't think we know for sure whether or not they were effective in doing more harm than has been established so far. >> so donald trump's nominees have been going through these confirmation hearings, all of them definitive say russia was behind the hacking. they've said that more
6:16 am
definitively than donald trump, the man who nominated them. what do you make of that? >> it's disconcerting. i must tell you we elected a president, not a king. and we want him to rely on the experts and want him to rely on his cabinet. i'm hopeful that he'll listen to his cabinet. they appear to understand very clearly the ram fictions of russia trying to infiltrate our election system. we cannot be manipulated. russia is not our friend. and it's very important that they convey that to the president and that the president accept that. he is not running a company anymore, he's running the country that is the leader in the free world and he's got to start thinking like a public servant. >> jackie spierer of california, thank you so much for joining me this morning.
6:17 am
>> my pleasure. >> still to come, dismantling o bam pla care, it's been a pledge from the day it became law. today the house takes its first step towards repealing the law. also in the newsroom, her courage is inspiring and empowering, six months after gretchen carlson's sexual harassment lawsuit shook fox news to its core, she opens up to me. >> when a little girl or little boy sits back and looks at the entirety of your career and what's happened to you and what you've become. what do you want them to take away? >> i want them to think about what i look at every day which is carpe diem, seize the day, be brave and fearless and for god's sake stand up for yourself. start to threaten the enamel and start to cause what we call acid erosion.
6:18 am
if there's a thinning of the enamel, the teeth actually start to appear more yellow. with pronamel, it is making your teeth harder and stronger and more resistant to wear. start using pronamel right away and have that be your toothpaste for the rest of your life. these are the last set of teeth that you're getting, you don't get another set, you have to protect them. choose. choose. choose. but at bedtime... ...why settle for this? enter sleep number and the lowest prices of the season.
6:19 am
sleepiq technology tells you how you slept and what adjustments you can make. she likes the bed soft. he's more hardcore. so your sleep goes from good to great to wow! only at a sleep number store, right now save $600 on our best selling i8 mattress, plus 36 month special financing. learn more at sleepnumber.com. know better sleep with sleep number. why are you checking your credit score? you don't want to drive old blue forever, do you? [brakes squeak] credit karma, huh? yep, it's free. credit karma. give yourself some credit. ito become dangerous.d for an everyday item new tide pods child guard pack. helps keep your laundry pacs safe and your child safer. align, press and unzip.
6:20 am
6:21 am
right now on capitol hill, lawmakers in the house are exbarking on a pivotal day towards obamacare. paul ryan wants to prevent millions of people from losing coverage all together despite the repeal and vows to reveal obama care and replace it with a new health care plan almost simultaneously. >> we want to do this at the same time and in some cases in the same bill. we want to advance repealing this law with its replacement at the same time. >> cnn political reporter manu raju has more on this. good morning. >> reporter: good morning, carol. that comment about doing this at the same time is a shift for the house republican and senate republican leadership and senate republicans saying something
6:22 am
similar. the reason why is because they have been getting a lot of pressure because the plan was to repeal most of the law and then wait maybe a year or two years and develop a replacement plan because of the procedures here in congress makes it harder to replace the law than it does to repeal it. now that has changed. now you heard paul ryan saying this needs to be done at the exact same time. he laid out his reasoning in detail last night. >> because we see this law collapsing even faster this year, because we see more insurance companies pulling out and people with little or no choices and another round of double digit premium increases, we really feel we need to provide better choices as fast as possible. >> first 100 days. >> something -- yeah definitely within the first 100 days to get moving on this legislation. >> there are good objectives that they sought to achieve in the law, we agree with that. we think young people should be
6:23 am
able to stay on their parent's plan until they are 26. we think there needs to be a solution to people with preexisting conditions. but we want more choices, no monoplies. that's what we're working on right now. >> reporter: now the challenge is there's now u.n. nimty within the republicans on congress about what exactly to replace the health care law with. they are going to be under pressure to figure out what to do. they want to repeal the law at the same time as replacing it. one of the things they are looking at doing is adding some revisions to replace the law within the repeal legislation which they hope to put together within the first two or three months. today begins that process. there's a vote in the house to clear a budget plan that would pave the way for a repeal vote to happen in a manner of weeks. the details are really what matters here. we don't know the details yet and that's one thing the republicans will have to decide because they are going to get
6:24 am
stiff democratic opposition and not any -- and some opposition within their own ranks. a lot of questions going forward here, carol. >> absolutely. manu raju reporting live this morning. >> politicians aren't the only people torn over obama care, doctors are weighing the pros and cons and ultimately they think the solution begins and ends with them. dr. sanjay gupta has more for you this morning. hi, sanjay. >> good morning, docs are divided on this issue like most of the country. there's no question about it. but you're right, i think they say, look, somewhat less control of government. we like that but also want less control with third party payers and systems all together. and i had a chance to talk to one of the doctors, take a listen. >> all yours. >> i love medicine. medicine is great. when you sit in the exam room and interact with the patient and operate and you do those things that we were trained to do. it's awesome. when i have to deal with all of
6:25 am
the bureaucracy and burden built around the system of health care, that makes medicine difficult. >> on a typical 14-hour day, brian hill is immersed in the realities of health care. his conclusion -- >> affordable care act has to go away. a year from now, 2018, what does it look like. >> the same political more as that it was eight years ago. >> reporter: it's same to say most doctors like brian hill are not shy when expressing their views as obamacare. studies find doctors tend to like or dislike the law based on their political preference. there are other factors, your age for example. >> younger physicians were generally more favorable towards the affordable care act and more supportive of the idea that the government has a role to play in helping citizens afford their access to health care.
6:26 am
>> reporter: how do doctors feel about obamacare? well, a little stuck because surveys show only 3.2% give oba obamacare an a grade and yet most of the major medical organizations are urging no repeal without replacement. worried about the loss of coverage for millions of people. >> i think the ama has is right. this is the biggest drop in the number of people without health insurance since the creation of medicare and medicaid 50 years ago. >> for people out there beneficiaries, 20 million of them, what would you say to them as a doctor? >> did we really solve the problem? co-pays are going up, deductibles are going up. are they giving you access to health care? >> as dr. hill and many other doctors see it, the same exact care now cost more than it should. i look at my office and i've got a code or bill or some prior authorization, precertification, all of those things have raised the cost of health care to the point where physicians went, i'm out. >> last year, hill got out. his practice swallowed by one of
6:27 am
atlanta's largest hospitals, a growing trend across the country. that did reduce his cost but now he worries about his patients. why? because big hospitals can charge more money. for example, we decided to join dr. hill in the operating room. we understand that now that he's partners with the hospital, he can be doing the same type of operation on the same type of patient literally in the same operating room except the costs will be 20 to 30% higher. >> the hospital partnering with hill, refused to comment for the story. so what is the solution? for hill, it's about giving the market back to the consumer and letting doctors earn their trust. >> why do i need 535 people in washington, d.c. to fix things. we're going to fix it. i have faith in that. i think the solutions will come from us. >> that's what we hear a lot. common theme, saying we have to play a role in terms fl how health care goes forward.
6:28 am
two big ideas that come out from this, not for all doctors but a lot talking about full cost transparency. how much do you really know about how much health care costs and how much drugs cost and procedure and hospitalization, most people don't know that. transparency of costs could help people be more cognizant and drive costs down. when it comes to markets, they say is it possible that patients and potential patients could be dealing directly with doctors and hospitals instead of through the government or insurance systems? again, not everyone is on board with that but those are some of the ideas or types of ideas you're hearing. >> it's such a tough problem to solve. just to be clear because some people don't realize this, if you're enrolled in obamacare, you're still dealing with a private insurance company. the government is setting the cost. the private insurance company is still doing that, right? >> reporter: absolutely, that's one of the things people got to remember. this isn't a government sponsored or paid system like singer payer systems, this is such a private health care
6:29 am
insurance country with the government offering incentives in various areas. important point. you're absolutely right. >> some people believe that's the problem, right? >> reporter: including these doctors who are saying, how about you want health care, how about you contract directly with mel or the hospital as opposed to going through this third party system, however you want to define it. now, again, i don't want to suggest that every doctor thinks this way but that is something that we hear a lot as we're talking to more and more health care professionals. >> interesting, thanks so much. >> thank you. >> still to come in the newsroom, ben carson absolutely grilled on the hill by senator elizabeth warren. and guess what comes up? donald trump's conflicts of interest. ben carson's nonanswer next. and my life is basketball.west, but that doesn't stop my afib from leaving me at a higher risk of stroke. that'd be devastating. i took warfarin for over 15 years. until i learned more about once-daily xarelto®... a latest-generation blood thinner.
6:30 am
then i made the switch. xarelto® significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. it has similar effectiveness to warfarin. warfarin interferes with vitamin k and at least six blood-clotting factors. xarelto® is selective. targeting one critical factor of your body's natural clotting function. for people with afib currently well-managed on warfarin, there is limited information on how xarelto® and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. like all blood thinners, don't stop taking xarelto® without talking to your doctor, as this may increase your risk of a blood clot or stroke. while taking, you may bruise more easily, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto® may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto® can cause serious, and in rare cases, fatal bleeding. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, unusual bruising, or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto®, watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle-related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto®,
6:31 am
tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver, or bleeding problems. to help protect yourself from a stroke, ask your doctor about xarelto®. insurance changes? xarelto® has you covered.
6:32 am
6:33 am
good morning, thank you so much for joining me. one of the most heated exchanges on capitol hill this week. on thursday senator elizabeth warren grilled housing nominee dr. ben carson about how he would prevent trump from profiting from the very agency carson is being tasked to lead, the department of housing of urban development. >> can you assure me that not a single taxpayer dollar that you give out will financially benefit the president-elect or his family? >> i can assure you that the things that i do are driven by sets of morals and values and therefore i will absolutely not play favorites for anyone.
6:34 am
>> dr. carson, let me stop right there. i'm actually trying to ask a more pointed question and it's not about your good faith. that's not my concern. my concern is whether or not among the billions of dollars that you will be responsible for handing out in grants and loans, can you just assure us that not one dollar will go to benefit either the president-elect or his family? >> it will not be my intention to do anything to benefit any -- any american. >> i understand that. >> it's for all americans, everything that we do. >> do i take that to mean that you may manage programs that will significantly benefit the president-elect? >> you can take it to mean that i will manage things in a way that benefits the american people. that is going to be the goal. >> to the best -- you understand that you don't --
6:35 am
>> if there happens to be an extraordinarily good program that's working for millions of people and it turns out that someone that you're targeting is going to gain $10 from it, am i going to say no, the rest of you americans can't have it? i think logic and common sense probably would be the best way. >> although, we do have a problem here and i appreciate your good faith in this and do, dr. carson. the problem is that you can't assure us that hud money, not a $10 varieties but of multimillion dollar varieties will not end up in the president-elect's pockets. and the reason you can't assure us of that is because the president-elect is hiding his family's business interests from you, from me, and from the rest of america. and this just highlights the absurdity and the danger of the president-elect's refusal to put his assets in a true blind
6:36 am
trust. >> okay. so keep this in mind, the housing and urban development program grants loans to organizations, including real estate developers, to build low income housing. according to reports, mr. trump owns shares in an affordable housing development in brooklyn overseen by you guessed it, the housing of urban development. welcome back. thanks for sticking around. so david, what do you make of that exchange? >> well, you know, it was political of course and that's part of the point of confirmation hearings, kind of political theater. donald trump's father, fred trump, started out, built the family fortune based on federal housing programs, it's not actually that huge a stretch to ask if somehow a federal housing programs over the next several years might in some way benefit the trump family. there's not necessarily anything
6:37 am
nefarious about it but it is the kind of thing that the president-elect has left himself open to because he's decided to maintain his ownership interest in his business even though he will distance himself from the management of the business for the length of time that he's in office and then he says he wants to resume control once he's finished being president. that leaves him open to this kind of insinuation from political opponents that he's unfairly benefitting from federal programs. >> ultimately, i think this is what ben carson said, you know what, if there's a program that maybe trumps would profit, i would assume he's talking about the sons because they are going to take over all of trump's businesses, right, if there's a program that benefits trump, it's okay -- it's for the greater good because if it benefits so many disadvantaged people, shouldn't i take that into account? isn't that okay? >> we should point out that donald trump will remain an
6:38 am
owner of his businesses. he will continue to have an ownership stake. and that's the thing that emphasis, bipartisan emphasis, those who worked for george w. bush and president obama and others, and those who are including the head of the office of government ethics still in the government now, what all of them are saying is that by maintaining that ownership stake, there's essentially no way for donald trump to avoid questions about whether he is doing things in the interest of the american people or in the interest of himself. and that is a risk that i think donald trump has decided he's willing to take by not fully divesting his lawyer argues that he can't fully divest because it would require a fire sale and wouldn't be fair to him to have to fully sell his business. and as a result of that, there
6:39 am
will be these types of questions from his opponents throughout his presidency. >> here's the thing. so the heads of these departments will have to take all of that into account, right, whether the president of the united states will profit, won't that grind government to a screeching halt? >> it may not bring things to a halt but it's going to be a concern and going to hand the president-elect's political opponents a weapon they can use against him repeatedly over the next however long he's in office, four years, eight years, whatever it ends up being. of course, his nominees are held to a different standard because they are covered by the federal conflict of interest statute that excludes the president. so they have to divest. and they have to put their assets into blind trusts and there are all sorts of complicated rules that they have to follow. he doesn't. you can see a situation where
6:40 am
some of the cabinet officials may start thinking, i have to do this stuff, how come he doesn't? and it could be an issue that could cause ill will as the presidency develops. >> so i'm coinkind of glad you brought up the house ethics office, what's far more interesting, jason chaffetz, has asked the head of the independent ethics office to appear before a house committee because he's upset that the ethics chief is criticizing donald trump's conflicts of interest publicly. >> the office of government ethics has long been a sleepy office that doesn't get a lot of attention, except am there are these confirmations that come up. but walter shaub has been far more public about ethics recently than in the past. he is -- he authorized and called for a tweet storm
6:41 am
encouraging donald trump to fully divest and then earlier this week after the president-elect came out with his announcement about his plans for separating himself somewhat from his business. shaub actually delivered about a 15-minute statement in what amounted to a press conference saying that it was woefully inadequate and would not prevent conflicts of interest. and congressional republicans and other republicans feel like shaub has gone too far. other emphasis, bipartisan from both parties, view what chaffetz and his committee are potentially doing as threatening this independent ethics office because they also do have budget control. chaffetz wants a private interview with shaub. what democrats on the committee want is a public hearing. but then that would potentially turn into another platform for
6:42 am
shaub to talk about ethics concerns, to point out people like rex tillerson had to divest and again to call for donald trump to fully divest. so congressional republicans don't i think want a public hearing where this could get aired out even more. >> it will be interesting. tamara keith and david lauder thanks again. we have to talk about joe biden. he choked back tears as he received that surprise gift from president obama. the presidential medal of freedom. thags the country's highest civilian honor. michelle kosinski has more for you. >> reporter: with humor and a crowd gathered in the state dining room -- >> also gives the internet one last chance to talk about our bromance. >> this thank you and good-bye was a surprise in itself. >> it is as joe once said a big deal. to know joe biden is to know
6:43 am
that love without pretense and service without self-regard and live life fully. >> reporter: then the real surprise. the vice president taken completely off guard as a member of the military was called forward. >> for the final time as president, i am pleased to award our nation's highest civilian honor the presidential medal of freedom. [ applause ] >> reporter: and taking it a step further, awarding it with distinction, only ever bestowed upon pope john paul ii and collin powell and ron ald reagan. for fighting for the middle class, a fair judiciary and violence against women and cancer. president obama planned this himself and wanted it to be a surprise. he worked with a very small group of staffers to make it happen and biden true to
6:44 am
character made the acceptance about those he says he has leaned on and things he loves p most and his family and the president. >> i just hope that after some history, that it was attached to my name when they talk about this presidency, is that i can say i was part of, part of the journey of a remarkable man who did remarkable things for this country. >> reporter: out of this candid emotion and all of the memories, one last biden joke. >> president looked at me, you know, joe, you know what surprised me? how we've become such good friends. i said, surprised you? mr. president, you know as long as there's breath in mee, i'll be there for you and my whole family will be and i know it is reciprocal. and i want to thank you all so
6:45 am
very, very much. all of you. >> michelle kosinski, cnn, the white house. when it comes to healthcare, seconds can mean the difference between life and death. for partners in health, time is life. we have 18,000 people around the world. the microsoft cloud helps our entire staff stay connected and work together in real time to help those that need it. the ability to collaborate changes how we work. what we do together changes how we live.
6:46 am
6:47 am
now that i work there, i value dothe food even more. i feed it to yoshi because there are no artificial colors, preservatives and it's made with real chicken.
6:48 am
i'm so proud to make dog chow natural in davenport, iowa. checking some top stories for you at 48 minutes past, today an arizona man is hailed as a hero who shot a man who had ambushed a trooper in the middle of a highway. he had shot the trooper and was beating him when a motorist stopped to help, shooting and killing the gunman. the trooper is in stable condition. victims of a baltimore house fire range from 9 to 11 years old.
6:49 am
their mom, who works for congressman elijah cummings, is in critical condition. a gofundme page settle up to help the victims reached its $100,000 goal in less than 24 hours. for the first time in american history, the u.s. mint coin will feature an african-american woman as lady liberty in celebration of the u.s. mint and the treasury's 225th anniversary. for the profile, lady liberty wears a crown of stars holding back her hair. according to the mint, future depictions will portray asian, hispanic and indian lady liberties as well. president obama is announcing an end to the so-called wet foot/dry foot immigration policy. that means cubans who make it onto u.s. soil will no longer be granted automatic u.s. residency. joining us is cnn correspondent athena jones. good morning. >> reporter: good morning,
6:50 am
carol. this is possibly the last step in the president's historic move to rebuild relations with cuba. he's working up until the very end to truth things done. this is a policy the cuban government has long argued encouraged people to make the dangerous journey to the u.s., whether by sea on these makeshift rafts or over land through central america. it was a policy controversial in other quarters because it treated cuban immigrants differently than immigrants from every other country in the world try to get into the u.s. removing the policy, reversing it, will put cuban immigrants on the same footing as all of those other immigrants. but it isn't being applauded in all quarters. it does have some critics including in the president's own party. democratic new jersey senator menendez says it will tighten the noose of the castro regime around the neck of the cuban people. so not everyone is happy about this move. and in other news, the president
6:51 am
and his wife have been giving a lot of exit interviews as their final days in the house behind me wind down. in an interview with "60 minutes" set to air on sunday, the president was reflecting on his time in office. he says he and his team have not always been good at communicating the good things about his policy proposals. let's play some of that. >> part of the job description is also shaping public opinion. and we were very effective, and i was very effective, in shaping public opinion around my campaigns. but there were big stretches while governing where even though we were doing the right thing, we weren't able to mobilize public opinion firmly enough behind us to weaken the resolve of the republicans to stop opposing us or to cooperate with us.
6:52 am
>> reporter: so something that is always a big challenge for any white house, which is communicating to the american people. it highlights this idea that you campaign in poetry but govern in prose. it will be interesting for the next white house to take some of that information under consideration, carol. >> athena jones reporting live for us this morning, thank you. still to come in the newsroom, the president-elect goes after hillary clinton, yes, hillary clinton, just days before he takes office. i'll talk to clinton's former campaign manager about that and more in the next hour of "newsroom." and my one on one with gretchen carlson on life after fox news, how she's using her fight against sexual harassment to empower girls around the world. why are you checking your credit score? you don't want to ride the 13l forever, do you?
6:53 am
the doctor said it's not contagious. [coughing] credit karma, huh? yeah, it's free. credit karma. give yourself some credit.
6:54 am
6:55 am
the chargers made it all official, right? they're moving to los angeles too. how many sports teams are in
6:56 am
that city, cory wire? >> there are a lot, carol, actually two teams in every major sport in l.a. the chargers, they spent 56 years in san diego. but over the last 15 years, the team and the city couldn't come to an agreement on a new stadium funded by taxpayers' money. fans if san diego are upset that their team is in l.a. now. some are lashing out by piling up their team gear and setting it ablaze in chargers park. mayor kevin falconer put the blame on dean spanos. >> dean spanos was never willing to work with us on a stadium solution and demanded a lot more money than we could have ever agreed to. we live in a great city and we will move forward. san diego didn't lose the chargers. the chargers just lost san diego. >> the chargers wasted no time unveiling their new logo on twitter just moments after owner
6:57 am
dean spanos had a press conference yesterday. it quickly became the top trending sports topic because many are saying this looks just like the l.a. dodgers logo. some realized it kind of looks like a tampa bay lightning logo. they cleared their throats and said, for the record, us and the dodgers are just friends. dodgers followed up by tweeting, "you said you'd call." >> i understand how san diego feels because i still haven't reviewed from the cleveland browns moving out of baltimore. there you have it, cory wire, thanks so much. "cnn newsroom" continues after the break. with its high-strength, military grade, aluminum-alloy body...
6:58 am
just blew the doors off the competition. now, it's time to blow their tailgates off too. by adding the new, more powerful, next-generation, 3.5 liter ecoboost engine. and an all-new 10-speed transmission... cranking out more power and acceleration, more efficiency at the pump, and the most torque of any half-ton pickup. this is the ford f-150. boom. (vo) what'scorn? dog food's first ingredient? wheat? in purina one true instinct grain free, real chicken is always #1. no corn, wheat or soy. support your active dog's whole body health with purina one. with sleep number, there's an adjustment for that. tilt your tormentor and put those snores to sleep. does your bed do that? come into a sleep number store and save $600 on our best selling mattress. it's a no brainer.
6:59 am
7:00 am
and good morning, i'm carol costello. thanks so much for joining me. almost since the day obamacare became law, republicans have vowed to kill it. today the house gop takes its first step toward repealing it. lawmakers on both sides of it aisle are concerned about the millions of americans who could

26 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on