Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  January 25, 2017 7:00am-8:01am PST

7:00 am
on the border wall separating the united states from mexico. that photo op is now overshadowed as he steals his own spotlight and drops a bombshell, doubling down on debunked claims that millions of people voted illegally. his tweet, quote, i will be asking for a major investigation into voter fraud, including those who registered to vote and are dead and many for a long time. depending on results we will strengthen up or voting procedures, end quote. sara murray is at the white house, good morning. >> reporter: good morning, carol. it's clear that this is something that donald trump really does believe, that there was widespread voter fraud during the campaign. of course there is no evidence to back that up. his press secretary sean spicer was questioned specifically about why the president believes this and whether spicer himself believes it by my colleague, jeff zeleny.
7:01 am
>> you say the president believes there was voter fraud. i wonder if you believe that. you were at the rnc. do you believe there was widespread voter fraud? how can he be comfortable with his win if he feels there were -- >> he's very comfortable with his win. he got 306 electoral votes. i've asked and answered this question twice. he believes what he believes based on the information he's been provided. yes, ma'am. >> what about democracy, sean, if he does believe that, what does that mean for democracy? >> i've answered your question. >> have you? >> reporter: trump's call for this investigation into voter fraud comes as democrats, some republicans on the hill, secretaries of state across the country and even donald trump's own lawyers during the campaign insist there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud. it's interesting timing to pick this fight because it comes on a day when donald trump was
7:02 am
already poised to execute on a number of his campaign promises. he's expected to go to the department of homeland security later today where he will move forward with executive action to begin adding on to the border wall, the wall he said he would build during the presidential campaign to add 5,000 additional border patrol officers, and also to look into the aid that's being given to mexico, that could be another opportunity for donald trump to look for an another source of funding to pay for this wall that he so ynow s mexico will reimburse us for. it makes you wonder why the trump administration didn't want us to focus on these actions rather than a side story about a vote investigation. >> an interesting question. we'll get into that. sara murray live at the white house. a major investigation into voter fraud, not exactly the same, but it takes you back to november when green party candidate jill stein sued for a recount in michigan, wisconsin, and
7:03 am
pennsylvania. republicans were incredulous, including donald trump. this is what he tweeted at the time. quote, the green party scam to fill up their coffers by asking for impossible recounts is now being joined by the badly defeated and demoralized dems. how times have changed. mr. trump is now demanding a nationwide voter fraud investigation. joining me is a former rnc communications director, larry sabato, and kayleigh mcenany is a cnn political commentator. kayleigh, in light of what i just said, if mr. trump thinks there is massive voter fraud, is his presidency legitimate? >> it is legitimate. there have been allegations of voter fraud going around for some time from republicans in particular after a study came out that's actually -- >> he says there is widespread voter fraud. how can trump's presidency be
7:04 am
legitimate? >> i think he's asking for people to look into it based on information he has. it is a legitimate presidency. we have an electoral college based system. but he wants people to look into this. there was a study conducted in 2014 that showed 6% of noncitizens actually did vote. that would mean hundreds of thousands of noncitizens voted. it was a peer-reviewed study. >> no, no, no. please, please. when you cite these studies, please cite them accurately. >> absolutely. >> registered improperly. but they found no evidence that anyone ever cast a fraudulent vote. i have it right here. >> yes, that was two findings. there were two findings in the study. one was 14% registered. number two was 6% actually voted. there were two findings in the study. >> all right. i'm going to bring in kristen clark, the president and executive director of the lawyers committee for silver rights under law. she studies things like voter fraud. is kayleigh right? >> absolutely not. my organization, the lawyers committee for civil rights under law, does this work all over the country.
7:05 am
we run an election protection hotline where we hear from voters. and the number one complaint that we hear from voters is about voter suppression. the obstacles and barriers that people face as a result of photo i.d. requirements and proof of citizenship requirements. all over the country. american citizens are having trouble accessing the ballot box. this notion that there are undocumented people by the millions who are casting ballots in our elections is false. what they're trying to do is set the stage for voter suppression tactics to be put in place around the country. >> i will only add one more thing about that 2014 study, because we had somebody who was involved in that study on cnn last night who said that donald trump misinterpreted the results. so there is no evidence, you know, in citing that study you're talking about, kayleigh,
7:06 am
that there was massive numbers of people voting fraudulently. i would to go to you, doug. why is this going on at this particular time, when donald trump is delivering on what he promised which should make people who voted for him very happy, why muddy the waters with this? >> that's a very good question. if you talk to congressional republicans who are about to go on their annual retreat where they'll meet with president trump and mike pence, he's done so much, this morning, yesterday morning with executive orders. as you say, following on his promises that they're excited about. there's a lot of anxiety that we're going off message, off topic in talking about these things that congressional republicans don't think are real as far as widespread voter fraud, they believe he's the legitimate president because he won a legitimate election. i agree what donald trump tweeted about jill stein and the green party, that was the right
7:07 am
message, which is why muddying the waters right now is troubling for a lot of republicans who want to be excited about what he's done the last few days. >> larry, you like me have been around forever and ever. as you sit back and watch this, what's really going on here? >> well, donald trump, it's always a giant question. i think the best explanation is that this isn't a plot to add additional restrictions on who can vote and how they vote, it's just donald trump. it has stuck in his craw since november that he lost the popular vote by 2.9 million, far more votes than anyone has ever lost the popular vote by, and yet still ended up in the white house. that has stuck in his craw. he thinks at some level that enables people to question his legitimacy. he is a legitimate president. he was elected president. he was installed as president. he's taking the actions that a president does.
7:08 am
but he's actually hurting himself. this is self destructive behavior, not just because he's stepping on his own story in the first week of his presidency, but also because it opens up to his critics the questions that they've been raising about donald trump for two years. >> so kayleigh, is larry partially -- because what if donald trump launches this nationwide investigation and the results come back, as everyone expects, that there is no widespread voter fraud in this country? >> he should of course accept the results. if you commission a study and get the results, you should trust the people doing the study and accept the results. i agree with doug on whether this should be a priority, i don't think it should be. but those out there who are saying donald trump is lying, number one, it's impossible to prove a negative, it's impossible to prove that millions of people did not vote, that's -- >> that's not true.
7:09 am
>> number two, the study found 6% of citizens told the authors that they voted. for those saying that he's lying, give him a chance to present his evidence, give him a chance to commission the study. we can talk about whether the study should go commissioned in the first place. but we can't say donald trump is lying because it's impossible to prove that. >> kristen, i would assume you've looked at these studies that donald trump has cited, even though we had somebody in in charge of the study on last night who said donald trump misinterpreted the results and there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud, what do you see when you look at these reports? >> i see baseless allegations that suggest undocumented people are voting, that there are people impersonating the dead. it's just false. this president has had since november to come forth and proffer evidence and you can't because there is noune. we know voter suppression is
7:10 am
real. >> i want to concentrate on voter fraud, kristen, i think it's really important. doug, when donald trump or members of his cabinet go to other countries and talk to them about america being the greatest country in the world, the greatest democracy, how can they look at him and say, you know what, you have widespread voter fraud in your country, what are you talking about? >> there's a real problem. we should remember, this isn't just about us. this is about the message that we constantly send out not just every four years when we have an inauguration and election, but every two years, and every day of american democracy, that we send out this message that we're a beacon of hope for the world. this undermines that message and sends the message to the rest of the world that they can question us. we know that china and russia would actively like some assistance on that. car carol, a lot of people were critical of sean spicer the last two days. when you're the spokesman for a politician like that, your job,
7:11 am
number one, is not to get in the way and not disagree with your boss. sean spicer did his job and acquitted himself very well under the circumstances. i thought jeff zeleny asked a good question that sean would have made a mistake if he added his own personal opinions. that's not his job. >> he's a fast learner. i have to leave it there, thanks so much. still to come in the newsroom, it was a cornerstone of president trump's campaign. now he's promising to follow through on his pledge to build that wall. s are off the charts... sir! what's the status? there's a meteor hurtling towards earth. how long until impact? less than a minute. what do you want to do, sir? listen carefully... if we all switch to geico we could save 15% or more on car insurance. i like the sound of that. geico. because saving fifteen percent or more on car insurance
7:12 am
is always a great answer.
7:13 am
[ park rides, music andoooh!d sounds ] when your pain reliever stops working, your whole day stops. [ sighs sadly ] try this. but just one aleve can last 12 hours. tylenol and advil can quit after 6. so live whole. not part. with aleve. and check your sunday paper for big savings. what makesheart healthysalad the becalifornia walnuts.r? the best simple veggie dish ever? heart healthy california walnuts. the best simple dinner ever? heart healthy california walnuts. great tasting, heart healthy california walnuts. so simple. get the recipes at walnuts.org.
7:14 am
oh, look! we've got fees ew, really? oh, it's our verizon bill look at them. line access fee, administrative fees, there are even taxes on top of them. decent people shouldn't have to live like this did i get it? t-mobile ends surprise fees and taxes that's right, with t-mobile one, taxes and fees are now included 4 lines, 40 bucks each. all unlimited, all in.
7:15 am
in just a few hours from now, president trump launches a multi-day blitz of immigration reforms, chief among them, ordering construction to begin on a border wall separating the united states from mexico. this as the president's top aides meet with high level
7:16 am
mexican officials today, setting the stage for a meeting between trump and president nieto. president trump is intent on building that wall. for trump's supporters, he's following through on a campaign promise. but the challenges are enormous. how much will the wall cost? who will eventually pay for it? how long will the wall be? will it be partially a fence? how do you build a wall in terrain that looks like this? these are the rugged mountainous areas along the border between mexico and the united states. with me to talk about this, cnn corresponde correspondent, layla, what do you think will happen in this meeting today? >> well, you know, there's certainly going to be talk about free trade, and given trump's tweet last night and the mounting pressure here in mexico city for this delegation to sort
7:17 am
of stand firm and protect mexico's national interests, there is certainly going to be talk about that wall. but yesterday, i can tell you, the economic minister here said that if the u.s. pushes mexico to try to pay for that wall or if they try to tax remittances, they will walk away from any sort of negotiations that don't protect their interests. a free trade deal that doesn't protect the interests of mexico. so i think today those will be the big talking points. immigration and free trade. but mexico, the delegation from mexico, has to sort of somehow stand its ground given the mounting pressure here at home, even calls for cancellation of the meeting from some mexican senators here, carol. >> david, i can hear a lot of americans saying, who cares if mexico walks away, what's the big deal? >> well, the concern is mexico is one of our largest trading partners. we need to renegotiate nafta, according to president trump, and you have to go through a
7:18 am
negotiation process. alienating the mexicans on the day they're coming for the start of this process, the start of diplomacy, could make those negotiations harder. in the end, if we have a trade war with china, another huge trade partner, and mexico, that could harm american jobs. to be fair, president trump has done an excellent job of focusing on jobs in his first full week of office. but the wall, this style of diplomacy, could complicate creating those jobs. >> so kayleigh, it could get complicated, we don't know. i'm sure mr. trump will say more about the wall and how he plans to fund it. but we don't know the answers to that question, of course. is it a little premature for mr. trump to sign an executive order when those things remain up in the air? >> look, i know as part of the executive order, reportedly he's going to commission a group to outline the amount of foreign aid we give to mexico. and potentially what that says to me is, some of this aid might
7:19 am
be drawn back and put towards the wall. that may be a way to make mexico pay for it, because money that was slotted to go to mexico in fact will not go there. i think he's going through these steps he has to go through to figure out how to pay for this. i know members of his transition team were meeting with the u.s. army corps of engineers to find out what the price would be, how much walling they would need. i know they've gone to painstaking detail to find out how to do this in a way that's affordable. >> larry, it's going to be expensive to build that wall. there's 2,000 miles between the u.s. and mexico. some of it is already fenced, right, some of it is walled, some of it is fenced. there's rugged terrain there. and i think the general accounting office said per mile of wall could cost between 1 and $4 million, that's per mile. so i'll ask you the same question. is it premature of donald trump to sign this executive order when we really don't know how he's going to pay for this?
7:20 am
>> well, it's going to be interesting to see whether the republicans in congress start to question him about how exactly we are going to pay for this. because in other administrations, certainly the obama administration, republicans have demanded to know where the money is coming from, how is this going to fit into the budget. and they were very concerned about budget deficits, the overall national debt. but on the other side of it, as unwise as this wall may be, and i'm one of those who thinks it's very unwise, president trump ran on this. in fact it was one of the two or three most prominent promises that he made on the campaign trail at virtually every rally. you can't hold it against him that he's trying to fulfill a campaign pledge even if people who have evaluated it think it's unwise. >> so leyla, can mexico afford to pay for the wall, if it comes to that? >> i asked the consul general
7:21 am
that very question, the consul general of los angeles, where there is a big population of mexicans. he said no, we can't afford it and we're not going to do it. right now mexico has its own set of problems, given that the mexican president just raised the gas prices here. that caused some protest. and also the peso is plunging right now. so mexico has its own set of problems, and they have said over and over, we are not going to pay for that wall. but one of the interesting things that the president did mention just a few days ago, he laid out a ten-point plan talking about his strategy with the u.s. and this new administration and he talked about security. because remember, he says this is a win-win situation. we should be working together to ensure security on that u.s./mexico border. the majority of the people crossing that border without permission are from central america.
7:22 am
they are not from mexico. so the mexican president believes that the u.s. and mexico should be working together to ensure security on that border. >> okay. i want to switch topics just a little bit, because mr. trump is also expected to take action on other immigration issues, specifically refugees. he wants to suspend the refugee program for 120 days, which means, you know, refugees from syria, for example, could not come into the united states for 120 days. the interesting thing that happened today, david, i'll pose this to you, the pentagon, the department of defense, tweeted this out this morning. let's take a look. let's put it up on the screen so we can all look at it together. from refugee to marine, corporal ali muhammad takes the fight to the doorstep of those who cast his family out. now, this man, he was raised in baghdad. before he joined the service,
7:23 am
his sister worked as a translator for the united states. his family received threats for helping the united states while they lived in iraq. this man became a marine. i just find it interesting that the dod would tweet this out, david. >> i'm surprised, i don't know much about the tweet. but it seems they're hitting on this larger issue. to win the war against isis, to win the war against radical islamic terrorism, the term president trump uses, you have to have muslim allies join the united states to fight these people on the ground. and the danger, we don't know the details yet of the ban, but if the ban on visas are all from predominantly muslim countries, that plays into isis recruitment efforts, it will be viewed in the region as a ban on muslims in general. that will hurt our ability to get muslim allies to fight this extremism. >> larry, it was a big campaign promise of donald trump, and he's delivering on it. >> that's right. i don't think anybody is
7:24 am
surprised that he's doing it. if you want politicians to fulfill the promises they made on the campaign trail, that's what donald trump is doing. having said that, i think david is absolutely right, this is very harmful to our overall efforts abroad, particularly in the wars we're participating in right now. and one wonders long term, if this becomes permanent, this is a temporary ban, if it becomes permanent, i wonder if it will be challenged in our courts under the constitutional ban on religious tests. >> thanks to all of you. coming up, president trump getting slammed for the false voter fraud claims. nancy pelosi is set to speak to reporters any minute now. i'll be back.
7:25 am
only at&t offers you all your live channels and dvr on your devices, data-free. it's entertainment. your way.
7:26 am
7:27 am
7:28 am
7:29 am
good morning, i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. history made on wall street, we hit 20,000. let's go to paul la monica on wall street. >> reporter: carol, yes, it was extremely loud and festive at the market open. things have quieted now. with the dow at 20,000, you have a lot of enthusiasm about the donald trump administration and what he might do for the economy, helping push the market higher. boeing is at an all-time high, defense stocks are surging because of trump.
7:30 am
a lot of people think that even though donald trump was at odds with silicon valley during the campaign trail, things have cooled off there too. google, which isn't in the dow, is at an all-time high also. you have a lot of blue chip companies leading the market higher. carol? >> paul la monica, thanks so much. president trump sending shock waves this morning, vowing on twitter to investigate voter fraud, the president providing past debunked claims that millions of people voted illegally, tweeting, quote, i will be asking for a major investigation into voter fraud, including those registered to vote in two states, those voting illegal, and even those registered to vote who are dead. depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures. that was two tweets. ohio secretary of state john huston is in charge of making sure that voting in his state is fraud-free. >> i think he's going to bear the responsibility of providing the facts. and i'm eager to see what those facts are.
7:31 am
what i'm focused, what i've been focused on, carol, and we've talked about this in the past, is that every state does this differently. this is how we do it in ohio. >> no, i understand. but critics say that by talking about this issue that's really a nonissue because there's been a zillion studies that show there is no widespread voter fraud in this country. >> and there isn't. >> right. by the president of the united states saying this in the most powerful democracy in the world, doesn't that concern you? >> it does concern me. and i've said this in the past, when the president talked about the election being rigged during the election, that was when i came out and i publicly said, look, there's no evidence of that, this is a bipartisan process in ohio, i know it's a bipartisan process in the united states. the election system in america is as good as it's ever been.
7:32 am
>> we'll likely hear strong pushback from democrats on those false voter fraud claims. house minority leader nancy pelosi is set to speak in a few moments on that. democrats say the president has a penchant for making false statements. cnn's sunlen serfaty is on capitol hill. good morning. >> reporter: good morning, carol. that's right, house minority leader nancy pelosi is set to give her weekly press conference. her fellow democrats are already giving a preview of the tone we'll likely see coming from her, many condemning donald trump's move here. we heard from debbie wassermann schultz this morning, questioning why donald trump is questioning the validity of his own election. schultz says she's deeply disturbed by this and bringing
7:33 am
out the "l" word, liar, about tru trump's move. >> what's the most disturbing about this is the president's penchant for lying. from the trivial, how many people showed up to watch his inauguration, to perpetrating the lie that 3 to 5 million people fraudulently voted in his presidential election. anything that makes him look bad or doesn't make him look good is something that he is willing to just tell bald-faced lies. >> reporter: some strong words there certainly from debbie wassermann schultz. what we've already seen coming from democrats is really them trying to rachet up the pressure on republicans to put some distance between them and pum president trump. senate minority leader chuck schumer yesterday said senate republicans have an obligation
7:34 am
to reject falsehoods, that was his quote, falsehoods, that donald trump is peddling here. senator lindsey graham told cnn's manu raju that trump basically needs to knock this all off. we know that president trump will be heading to a congressional republican retreat tomorrow. that will be an interesting backdrop to all of this going on. >> sunlen serfaty live from capitol hill, thank you. still to come in the newsroom, president trump gives the green light on a controversial oil pipeline. how the standing rock tribe and its supporters across the country are gearing up for their new fight, next. d and puffed... like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes.
7:35 am
symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (child giggles) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. get symbicort free for up to one year. visit saveonsymbicort.com today to learn more. youthat's why you drink ensure. sidelined.
7:36 am
with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing... ...what you love. ensure. always be you.
7:37 am
7:38 am
the mistay connected.elps us the microsoft cloud offers infinite scalability. the microsoft cloud helps our customers get up and running, anywhere in the planet. wherever there's a phone, you've got a bank, and we could never do that before. the cloud gave us a single platform to reach across our entire organization. it helps us communicate better. we use the microsoft cloud's advanced analytics tools to track down cybercriminals. this cloud helps transform business. this is the microsoft cloud.
7:39 am
i have a first 100 days alert for you. you see the former governor of south carolina, nikki haley, is being sworn in as the newest u.s. ambassador to the united nations. of course that's the vice president standing beside her. let's listen. >> we would rise to become the first female indian-american governor in our country's history. the people south carolina have placed great faith in you. you repaid them with a record of extraordinary success which has created prosperity and opportunity for the people of south carolina. all of america also watched with admiration as you led your state and inspired the nation through a time of great tragedy in charleston just last year. i know the president and i are confident you will bring your intellect, your leadership, your character, and your unfailing
7:40 am
grace to the role of ambassador to the united nations for the united states of america. >> nikki haley now officially the u.s. ambassador to the united nations. in other news this morning, the standing rock sioux and their supporters vowing to stand up to the president, this after president trump orders construction to restart that controversial oil pipeline project in north dakota, the same one president obama stopped in its tracks last year. tribal leaders are saying they'll take legal action if needed. cnn's sarra sidner is live there with more. >> reporter: this camp has shrunk to 500 or so people. we're talking hundreds, not thousands. but people people are diehards,
7:41 am
very passionate about what's happening here. there is a lot of high emotion, especially in the ramp-up of president trump being inaugurated. as that was happening, there have been a couple of face-offs, a couple of clashes that have happened. this one that we're go to show y you, protesters decided to take their fight towards where the drilling is happening, where the actual area where they're doing the work. you'll see them come up in confrontation with members of the national guard and law enforcement agencies that are there. that is how folks feel here. they are part of the group that is here that are really into staying and fighting. and there's another part of the group that is here that feels like they have to do this far more peacefully but also they are thinking about leaving. i want to let you know what the tribe has said, and we've talked to them. this pipeline is about 1200
7:42 am
miles long. it goes through four different states, $3.7 billion project. we're talking a lot of money. the pipeline folks say it's going to bring jobs to this state in particular. and the governor has said it's 90 to 95% complete. but the sioux nation says, hold on a second, the pipeline is threatening their water and their sacred sites, even though it is not on reservation land. they h i had a conversation with the tribal councilmember who is a chairman of the standing rock sioux. he was pretty disappointed that he hadn't heard from the president before the president had signed the memorandum. and basically what he says, we were hoping to hear from him but we will continue to fight both legally and politically to try and stop this pipeline, carol. >> all right, sara sidner, reporting live from north dakota this morning. scary video caught on dash cam that shows a utah commuter train crashing into a fedex truck, splitting it in two.
7:43 am
according to utah's transit authority, the gates were affected by severe ice and snow conditions causing them to malfunction. there were no serious injuries in this accident. george orwell's novel "1984" is now amazon's bestselling book. why the demand? some call kellyanne conway's reference to "alternative facts" orwellian. a leader has refused to work with charities that distribute condoms. conservatives believes the distribution of condemns violates the catholic church's teaching. pope francis says it could be acceptable to protect life, such as in an aids-ravaged area. a massive sinkhole in
7:44 am
pennsylvania, authorities have evacuated homes in two neighborhoods. wow. coming up, what president trump's wall proposal means for those who call the border home. once only in doctors' offices. for deep penetrating relief at the source. aleve direct therapy.
7:45 am
7:46 am
7:47 am
7:48 am
as president trump prepares to crack down on illegal immigration by discussing a border wall, some texas residents are questioning whether a concrete wall will actually work. cnn's ed lavendera takes us on a tour of life on the texas/mexico border. >> reporter: this journey across the u.s./mexico border begins in south texas, where the rio grande empties into the gulf of mexico. this man runs an atv border tour
7:49 am
business. >> a scary, dangerous place? it's not as bad as people make it seem to be. >> reporter: cameron was born in mexico, is now a u.s. citizen, was a long time democrat until donald trump came along and made him a republican. living and working on the border reveals a blurry reality. cameron fully supports the idea of trump's border wall. but every day, he sees the holes in that plan. >> this is part of the border wall that already exists, right? >> exactly. this was put back in 2006 by george bush. it's been around for a while. >> reporter: a few months ago, while riding along the rio grande, he recorded this video of what appeared to be smugglers with packs. it's the kind of story countless people along the border can share. but this is an area where a border fence is already in place. yet drugs and human smuggling keep coming. >> it hasn't stopped them, absolutely not. you have this wall all the way
7:50 am
around, the eye can see, over there. >> reporter: it keeps going. >> it keeps going. but then it's like, they start here. i don't know. i'm sure there's a reason, wouldn't you think? they ran out of money. >> reporter: this is the landscape in the big bend area of texas. that's the challenge. how in the world do you build a wall in this kind of terrain? marcos lives in big bend, west texas. he takes visitors on aerial tours of some of the most beautiful landscapes you'll ever see. >> i want to know, where in all of that do you put a wall? >> reporter: if donald trump flew with you, would he still want to build a wall?
7:51 am
>> i would tell donald trump, we already have a wall, thank you very much, and i don't think he can build a bigger one. >> reporter: this is the most rugged terrain you'll find along the southern border. hard to imagine anyone would try to cross illegally through here, simply through treacherous. the big bend region stretches 250 miles along the rio grande, a place far past the middle of nowhere. on a canoe trip down the rio grande, it's so quiet out here, you can hear the wind flutter past coasting birds. every night, 88-year-old pamela taylor, out of compassion, leaves bottled water outside her gnome f home for smugglers going north and the agents who chase them. when the border fence was built ten years ago north of the river, she found herself on the
7:52 am
south side between the wall and mexico. you're in a little bit of no man's land. >> my son-in-law says we live in a gated community. you have to laugh about it. >> reporter: taylor voted for trump and wants to see illegal immigration controlled. she once found an undocumented migrant hiding from border patrol agents in her living room. she warns the rest of the country that a wall won't work. >> that wall is not going to stop 'em. if it's 20 feet high, they're going to get a 21-foot ladder, right? >> reporter: donald trump wants to build a bigger, more powerful wall. >> if he will come down here and talk to the people. >> reporter: until then, life on the border will keep passing by pamela taylor's front porch. and it might even stop for a quick drink. >> that was cnn's ed lavendera reporting. coming up, why is hussein bolt losing one of his medals? we'll talk about that, next.
7:53 am
you do all this research on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claims centers are available to assist you 24/7. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
7:54 am
(ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) woman snoring take the roar out of snore. yet another innovation only at a sleep number store.
7:55 am
and they're absolutely right. they say that it's hot... when really, it's scorching. and while some may say the desert is desolate... we prefer secluded. what is the desert? it's absolutely what you need right now. absolutely scottsdale.
7:56 am
with its high-strength, military grade, aluminum-alloy body... just blew the doors off the competition. now, it's time to blow their tailgates off too. by adding the new, more powerful, next-generation, 3.5 liter ecoboost engine. and an all-new 10-speed transmission... cranking out more power and acceleration, more efficiency at the pump, and the most torque of any half-ton pickup. this is the ford f-150. boom.
7:57 am
andy, andy scholes, you want me to talk about the new england patriots. i'm sorry, bostonians, i'm sorry. >> reporter: carol, you're going to the super bowl again. we've got to talk about 'em. >> i would like the falcons to win. >> reporter: we'll see. the patriots are the favorites. bill belichick and tom brady have been so good for so long, they'll go down as the greatest coach/quarterback combo ever. brady played 15 seasons as a patriots quarterback. he's going to his seventh super bowl, we likely will never see a run like this again. it's become infectious. we asked the team, what is the patriot way? what is it about you guys that makes you guys so special?
7:58 am
>> i think it's just the mental toughness, being able to fight through adversity. >> we're worried about what we've got to do, not falling into the noise or the hype. preparation and practice. >> reporter: falcons favorites are running wild in atlanta. even georgia's supreme court is getting in on it, they held a special session where they wished the team well on their trip to the super bowl in houston. >> it's been a great season. now it's time for all falcons fans to rise up! [ applause ] >> reporter: rough news for a jamaican legend, husain bolt today, the international olympic committee saying bolt will have to return his medal. his team qualified because his teammate nessa carter tested
7:59 am
positive for a banned substance. he had won the triple-triple in three straight olympics. i would like to note, bolt is not implicated in any doping. finally, denver brockcos legend john elway was in dc over the weekend for inauguration festivities. the cabdriver, not knowing who his passengers were, said john elway was the greatest quarterback of all time. then this happened. >> would you know john elway if you saw him? >> hell, yeah. >> if you ran into him, would you know who he was? >> oh, yeah. >> turn around. >> how you doing, man? >> oh, come on, man, are you serious? come on, man. john elway. damn. i got to take a picture. >> reporter: it was cool to see how happy he got, he was
8:00 am
probably embarrassed, he was going on and on about how great elway was and he's sitting in the back. >> it's a good thing he didn't say peyton manning. thank you, andy, you made my day, as usual. thank you for joining me. "at this hour with berman and bolduan" starts now. hello, everyone, i'm john berman. >> i'm kate bolduan. this morning, a major investigation into voter fraud. that's what president trump is promising after continuing his fixation on the widely-debunked claims that millions of people voted illegally in november's election. this started back up again of course when trump made this claim in a private meeting with congressional leaders this week, that three to five million illegal votes cost him the popular vote. white house press secretary sean spicer defended trump's claims, without providing evidence to back it

27 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on