Skip to main content

tv   Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer  CNN  March 20, 2017 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
acknowledges an active probe of russia's election meddling including possible coordination with the trump campaign and whether any crimes were committed. no support. in another blow to the president, james comey declares there is no evidence that mr. trump was wiretapped by president obama during the campaign. this hour i'll talk to a democrat on the house committee that heard all the bombshell testimony. no apology. the white house insists the dramatic intel hearing hasn't changed anything as the president unleashes a new tweet storm and ignores democrats' demands that he apologize for the baseless wiretap claims. north korea tests a new missile. how will the trump administration respond? we want to welcome our viewers in the united states and around the world. i'm wolf blitzer. you're in the "the situation room."
3:01 pm
>> announcer: this is cnn breaking news. breaking news tonight. the most powerful evidence yet that president trump's wiretap claim was blatantly false as the fbi director testifies before congress and reveals a criminal investigation of the trump camp's possible links to russia, a probe that began back in july. james comey joining with the national security agency director to flatly declare that is no information to support mr. trump's claim that he was wiretapped by president obama or by british intelligence. comey also publicly confirming for the first time that the feds are investigating russia's alleged meddling including the possibility of collusion with the trump campaign. also tonight, the white house is refusing to back off from the wiretap claim or offer any apology claiming today's hearing didn't change anything. mr. trump's official twitter
3:02 pm
account going into overdrive, commenting about the hearing realtime. the president and many republicans are downplaying testimony that could be damaging on the administration, focusing instead about who leaked information about the russian investigation and whether laws were broken. i'll talk with all of that about the democratic who took part in the hearing, house intelligence committee hearing erik swell. and our commentatorors standing by. first, let's go to cnn justice correspondent, pamela brown. this was a very important hearing and us precedented in many ways. >> absolutely right. in a bombshell comment, james comey acknowledged that the investigation into the russian election meddling. he knocked down president trump's wiretap allegations.
3:03 pm
>> reporter: tonight fbi's james comey said that there are investigations of the russia meddling. >> the fbi as part of our counterintelligence is investigating the russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and that includes investigating the nature of any links between the individuals associated with the trump campaign and the russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and the russia's efforts. >> reporter: and the rebuke to the president, comey said there is no evidence to support the president's claim that former president obama had, quote, wiretapped inside trump. >> i have no information about those tweets and the department of justice asked me to share with you the same is for the department of justice and all of its components.
3:04 pm
>> reporter: mike roberts repeating that. >> did you request that your counterparts in gchq should wiretap president trump by president obama. >> no sir. would i ever. >> reporter: instead focusing on whether laws were broken and reporting about ousted national security adviser michael flynn's conversations with the russian ambassador that were caught on s surveillance. >> do you know whether director clapper knew the name of the citizen that appeared in the "new york times" "washington post." >> i can't say in this forum. >> would the director brennan have the information. >> in? circumstances, yes. >> reporter: republicans wanting to deflect details regarding the investigation and to person most knowledgeable collusion between
3:05 pm
trump associates and russia, insisting there was a real crime in the leaks to the press. >> some of that may rise to the level of a crime, some of it does not rise to the level of a crime. one thing you and i agree on is the flenus investigation is most definitely a crime. >> reporter: from the beginning laying out a circumstantial argument about what they believe may have transpired. >> it wasn't that the russians had a negative preference against secretary clinton, they had a positive preference for donald trump. >> correct. >> what about for mr. putin? >> mr. putin likes people who like him. >> reporter: comey denied going any further. >> i'm not going to talk about any particular person today. >> reporter: perhaps anticipating outcry from the democrats, he south to clear
3:06 pm
about today's testimony and hillary clinton's into the sever. >> the past were the department of justice and the fbi have spoken about the details of some investigations. but please keep in mind that those involved the details of completed investigations. our ability to share details with the congress and the american people is limited when those investigations are still open. which i hope makes sense. >> reporter: and director comey says he doesn't know when the fbi's counter-intel investigation will wrap up. one official said counter-intel investigations can take a while, even years in some cases because the investigation is rarely black and white. could be taking some time. >> certainly could be. pamela brown reporting. we're standing by to hear from president trump at a campaign. we'll see if he talks about the
3:07 pm
hearing. his presidential twitter account has been active offering reactions on the commentary in realtime. big crowd in louisville already gathering there, ryan. james comey had an opportunity to respond to one of the presidential tweets. tell us what happened. >> yeah, wolf. this is really an interesting wrinkle to what happened here in the hearing. as you mentioned, someone at the white house was tweeting from the official potus account offering commentary during the day. one of the tweets was a video with this caption, the nsa and the fbi tells that russia did not influence. the video was of devin nunes asking the national security director if there was any evidence that russia had directly been able to interfere with the actual casting of ballots during the election. rogers said there was no
3:08 pm
evidence. that wasn't necessarily new information. it's something that had been recorded in the past but it doesn't quite meet the standard of influence which is what the white house tweeted. that led to fbi director james comey being forced to clarify that tweet rarity in the hearing. this is what he had to say. >> well, it's hard to react. let me tell you what we understand the state of what we said is. we've offered no opinion, have no view, have no information on potential impact because it's never something that we looked at. >> so we've heard from the potus twitter account, from white house press secretary sean spicer about this hear. we haven't heard from the president himself. what happens we'll hear about what he thinks happened today. later on at this big event in louisville. >> ryan reporting to us in louisville. thank you. we know that the fbi's investigation of russia's meddling in the election began back in july but fbi director
3:09 pm
james comey waited until today to confirm. he waited until weeks ago to to the intelligence committees about this as well. why now? >> you know, wolf, i think part of the calculation from the fbi has been a lot of pressure to explain what exactly is going on here. there is obviously a lot of reporting since president trump took office 60 days ago and i think the fbi has been under pressure from democrats on the hill and also from the piublic o try to explain what they're looking at, how real it is and to put a timeline on how long that will take. today he tried to do a little bit of that. he went to the gang of eight to the leaders of congress there was an investigation. the specifics of what it was. today they were surprised how far he went publicly in this hearing. we talked to a couple of members who said they were surprised
3:10 pm
that he publicly said as much as as he said. >> i was as well. you covered the department of justice, you covered the fbi. were you surprised. >> i was surprised that he went as far as to claim this was an investigation that could end up in criminal investigation, wolf. this is a counterintelligence, often they never end up in criminal charges, they go on for yaers. i think this is building an investigation. >> i was surprised to see he was checking any crimes were committed. confirming a criminal investigation is now under way and has been since july. evan, good reporting. let's get more on all of these developing information. we have a democratic on the house intelligence committee. he took part in today's hearing. thank you for joining us. >> thank you, wolf. >> were you satisfied with
3:11 pm
director comey's investigation? >> i was satisfied. we had been trying to connect the dots between the trump campaign and the russian government. did those extend to russia as they were attacking us and the director told us under those circumstance he was reading into an active investigation which was quite stunning to hear but i think important for the american to know that we are looking at whether his team is looking at russia as this historic and unprecedented campaign had been run by russia. >> let me play a clip of the exchange you had with the fbi director. listen to this. >> would it be safe to assume if a prominent person was doing while they were in russia, the russians saw it. >> i would stick to my answer that people some assume. >> was donald trump under an
3:12 pm
investigation during the campaign? >> i'm not going to answer that. >> is he under investigation. >> i'm not going to answer that. please don't assume what i'm saying. i'm not going to answer about anybody in this forum. >> congressman, do you believe director comey was forthcoming enough? did he answer the questions you wanted answered? >> he did. he confirmed that an investigation is underway. i don't want him to disclose anything that would compromise the election. i want to ask the questions that my constituents at home are asking. they follow the leads, and wolf, if this is merely a thousand confidences it's in the president's interest and the country's interest that he's cleared. if this is a convergence of political and economic ties with the russian officials people need to be aware. >> what if the fbi director says the dots don't end up to collusion between president
3:13 pm
trump's campaign, his campaign associates and the russians? what if there is no hard evidence? where do we go from there? >> wolf, he's our president. and the questions that americans are asking was he or anyone on his team was involved with russia. this is not what is proved in a court of law under a reasonable doubt standard. as a former prosecutor i know that what happened and what you can prove in court is sometimes different. if you have to drag russian witnesses to the united states to prove a fact, that may be difficult in court. that doesn't mean that didn't happen and the american people should know if the president or anyone on his team was working with russia as they were interfering in our elections. >> when you're talking about russian witnesses being dragged here, what are you talking about or who were you talking about? >> we know, for example, carter page one month after russia was attacking us went over to russiaaze senior policy adviser
3:14 pm
from the trump campaign with permission from the trump campaign. if he met with someone from russia and that came up during the investigation, it probably be hard to bring that russian to the united states. so proving that they were working together under a reasonable doubt standard in a prosecution case that would be difficult. that doesn't mean that we shouldn't know the evidence that carter page was working with the us ares if that was happening, for example. >> are you willing to subpoena the president to testify? >> i think we need to subpoena all relevant witnesses, from the president to his family to his security team, to manafort, page, stone, flynn. the american people saw our democracy attacked. right now it's time for the republicans and democrats to unite and say this democracy belongs to us and we're going to get the to bottom of why we were attacked, who was responsible and tell the american people we'll never have this happen again. this is a mess. >> if this is vladimir putin's
3:15 pm
to sew chaos -- >> it's worked. >> -- do you worry that accomplished that goal and what are the cam rations. >> sometimes it gets better before it gets worse. the goal i do not want to see russia achieve is a dramatic change in the u.s. policy toward russia. so i'm asking the president and i think the american people do not want to see any policy changes toward russia until this is resolved. because there are too many questions about prior relationships and whether there's any quid pro quo going on. >> congressman, i want you to stand by. we have more questions. we're getting more information. we'll take a quick break. we'll be right back.
3:16 pm
why are you checking i want to see if it changed. credit scores don't change that much do they? really?
3:17 pm
i'll take it! sir, your credit... is great, right? when was the last time you checked? yeah, i better check my credit score. here, try credit karma. it's free. alright, no more surprises. credit karma. give yourself some credit. my insurance rates are but dad, you've got... ...allstate. with accident forgiveness they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. indeed. it's good to be in, good hands. guests can earn a how cafree night when theypring book direct on choicehotels.com and stay with us just two times? spring time. badda book. badda boom. or... badda bloom. seriously? book now at choicehotels.com the market.redict but through good times and bad... ...at t. rowe price... ...we've helped our investors stay confident for over 75 years.
3:18 pm
call us or your advisor. t. rowe price. invest with confidence.
3:19 pm
♪ ♪ everyone deserves attention, whether you've saved a lot or just a little. at pnc investments, we believe you're more than just a number. so we provide personal financial advice for every retirement investor. we're back with the bean. the first public confirmation
3:20 pm
from the fbi director of a potentially criminal investigation into the trump campaign's alleged links to russia. let's talk with more with congressman eric swalwell, a democratic on the house intelligence committee. held a pivotal hearing as we all know today. roger stone who for years was closely connected to donald trump, not so much in the recent year and a half, or two years, responded to the hearing saying this. it's only fair that i have a chance to respond to any smears or half truths with any collusions from today's intel hearing. here is the question, would you respond to that? are you going to call him to testify? >> well, he actually wrote me in the middle of the night last night, wolf, on twitter, and called me some names i cannot repeat on cnn. roger stone loved to go to the twitter during the 2016 election, saying that john
3:21 pm
podesta was going to have his day in the barrel before the russians will put forth the podesta e-mail. we want to hear from him as well. >> will you call him back for more questioning? >> yes, i think we should call him back if he has more information for us. no investigation would be complete if we didn't hear from other witnesses and i think, wolf, more than ever we need to see the president's tax returns. there are too many financial interests that the president has and the fbi director himself said today that foreign agencies used as a way to recruit and develop as people they want to influence. >> how with you going to get the tax returns? >> we can subpoena them and i hope that the republican colleagues join us in the effort. >> your republican colleagues including devin nunes they pressed the fbi director, about how michael flynn was unmasked
3:22 pm
referring to public calls he had with the russian ambassador to the united states. do these republicans have a legitimate concern? >> if their take away was we need to focus more on leaks rather than the russians attacking us, they learned the wrong lesson. >> what about focusing on both, the russian government and illegal leaks? >> yes, that's the director of justice's job. but as comey said today we don't know where the leaks are coming from. they could be coming from the white house. this is an opportunity for republicans and democrats to u unite. our president had deep ties with russia. going forward we need to change this. an investigation we're doing on the intelligence committee is the best thing. >> you want a criminal investigation of the leaks, right? >> yes, of course. >> let's talk about another
3:23 pm
issue that came up today unrelated. cnn learned that large electronics have now been banned from airplane cabins on some middle east ern flights to the united states. >> i can't confirm nor deny, wolf. what i can say about aviation safety is that we have known that our adversaries especially terrorists across the world, would love to bring down an airline. we have to make sure that our passengers in the united states and abroad are safe. >> can you say anything more? >> i can't saying about this, wolf. >> cnn said it will impact about a dozen flights into the united states. do you know how long this will take place? >> i don't, wolf. >> it's a serious issue that you've been briefed on, but you can't -- >> i can't say yes or no to that either. i'll just say that al qaeda has
3:24 pm
long put out a cookbook of how to make a bomb, how to bring it on a airplane. >> that's a significant new development. congressman, thank you for joining us. er kick swalwell, from california. the political fall-out as the fbi director goes on with the investigation about vladimir putin's actions. >> he hated secretary clinton so much that he had a clear presence for the person running against the reperson he hated s much. woof! eeh-- woof! wuh-- [silence]
3:25 pm
[engine roars to life] [dog howls] ♪ dramatic opera music swells from radio ♪ [howling continues] well, what are you doing o take care otomorrow -10am? but... staff meeting. 3:45? tai chi. 6:30? sam's baseball practice. you are busy. wouldn't it be great if you had investments that worked as hard as you do? yeah. introducing essential portfolios the automated investing solution. say hi to xiidra, lifitegrast ophthalmic solution.
3:26 pm
the first eye drop approved for the signs and symptoms of dry eye. one drop in each eye, twice a day. common side effects include eye irritation, discomfort or blurred vision when applied to the eye, and an unusual taste sensation. do not touch the container tip to your eye or any surface. remove contacts before using xiidra and wait for at least 15 minutes before reinserting them. if you have dry eyes, ask your doctor about xiidra. yeahashtag "stuffy nose."old. hashtag "no sleep." i got it. hashtag "mouthbreather." yep. we've got a mouthbreather. well, just put on a breathe right strip and ... pow! it instantly opens your nose up to 38% more than cold medicine alone. so you can breathe ... and sleep. shut your mouth and say goodnight mouthbreathers. breathe right.
3:27 pm
3:28 pm
quote
3:29 pm
we're following all the breaking news out of the house intelligence committee hearing on russia including the fbi director's confirmation that a criminal investigation is now underway, has been since july, of the trump campaign's possible links to moscow. we're joined by our political, legal and national security experts. mike, rogers. he made a point of saying, comey, the fbi director that the justice department, the fbi they rarely, if ever, talk about ongoing investigations especially investigations involving classified material. but this is an exception. listen.
3:30 pm
>> i have been authorized by the department of justice to confirm that the fbi, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election. and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the trump campaign and the russian government, and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and russia's efforts. as with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of any crimes were committed. >> you were once the chair of the house intelligence committee. how extraordinary is this? >> and an fbi agent. and i have to tell you that's extraordinary. because when you talk about. the fact there was an investigation by the fbi into what the russians may have been doing, you would hope and expect that would be happening. by mentioning the people in the
3:31 pm
trump campaign, these are united states citizens, this is a criminal investigation and they acknowledged it. the leaks, knocked me over by a feather if there weren't any leaks to the fisa investigation which is a u.s. citizen's investigation to the public. he wouldn't confirm that. he confirmed, yes, there was an investigation and, yes, it included u.s. citizens that may or may not have been in the trump administration. >> he seemed to go a lot further than i had anticipated and much greater experts than i have anticipated. >> this area has been such fine field for comey. as of june last year, there was -- or july, there were two criminal investigations going of hillary clinton and her e-mails and of the trump campaign. he only chose to announce one of them in the summer, which was incredibly damaging to hillary clinton.
3:32 pm
but now he has decided to announce this one, and it's a very big deal for the white house to be under criminal investigation and given the complexity particularly all of the classified information here, there is no way this can be resolved in three months. this is a long time. >> the investigation into russian hacking began in july. it's unclear when the investigation into trump associates, the trump campaign, and alleged collusion actually began as well. >> well, that -- my reading of what he said it was more or less simultaneously. >> the whole time. >> it's going on now. that much is clear. >> with he know only in the last few weeks has the fbi identified the intelligence committee there was such an investigation even though it was going on since july. >> and it is going to take a while. doesn't mean anyone will be charged, but it is not going to be resolved for quite sometime. >> gloria, how damaging was this
3:33 pm
testimony to president trump? >> i think this was the most damaging day for the young administration. there is this big cloud hanging over the administration and no administration likes to operate that way. we saw sean spicer, the president's press secretary, going out today and say nothing has changed. but, in fact, everything has changed because the fbi director came out and said that donald trump's tweets about barack obama wiretapping him were wrong and there has not been any acknowledgement of that from the white house at all. and then allowed publicly, which as mike says, is unprecedented, that there is this investigation into associates of donald trump. and i think it's something that they're going to have to be pushing back against, but it's very difficult when you don't know exactly what the investigation is.
3:34 pm
>> rebecca, let me get your reaction to the white house's response to comey and the testimony of the national agency secretary, director rogers. the white house tweeted this @potus account. the fbi and nsa tell that russia did not affect electoral process. that's not exactly what the director of the nsa or the fbi said. they confirmed there was no evidence of russian involvement and changing votes and getting into election ballots and stuff like that, but clearly they were trying to influence the election process. >> clearly. that was sloppy phrasing at best or intentionally misleading. it doesn't look good for the white house it suggests they didn't learn their lesson from a few weeks ago. they floated the idea that president obama wiretapped him at the trump campaign.
3:35 pm
that has proven to be a false and baseless accusation as confirmed by comey today. you would think they would want to restore the credibility and be careful about the fact that they're putting out there. that tweet suggests to me they're not doing this at all. >> a former chairman of the house intelligence committee and a former fbi agent, a lot of the republicans in their questioning today, they didn't focus on the big picture of russian hacking, of institutions, democratic party, the democratic party getting involved in the election, or alleged collusion between trump associates, trump campaign folks and russia. instead, they focused in on the damaging leak to michael flynn, for example, the national security adviser at least for a few weeks in the trump white house, they called it unmasking as they call it because there was investigation of the russian official, the
3:36 pm
russian ambassador the united states. are they missing the big picture, though? >> well, i was a little disappointed that the majority of their time was spent on the leak. i would say this is a fisa warrant, these are very, very sensitive and classified things especially if you have a u.s. citizen's name attached. they're right to be outraged. >> it is a felony. >> it is a felony. i was concerned by both points. the democrats were trying to make the court of public opinion sway in their political direction. and i thought here we had this opportunity for both points to come together and lay out what the russians have been doing, what they've been doing in the past, doing during our election, how they were trying to influence us through what's called an information operation. and what a great way to lay out a case why we really need to be concerned about the russian and what that would mean for policy
3:37 pm
moving forward on the uses are. that was completely lost today. republicans decided it's about the leaks, which are bad sure enough. and the democrats were going to decide to make the case because comey couldn't make the case publicly. we swung and missed here. >> as you know, jeffrey, a lot of democrats want a 9/11 commission to take over or a special prosecutor to take over. the. >> you have to have jeff sessions appoint a special -- >> he recused himself. >> i'm sorry. the justice department. it will be rod rosen steen. what everyone knows special prosecutors sometimes cannot be controlled. ken starr went from white water to monica lewinsky.
3:38 pm
the iran contra investigation went on for six years. the party in power doesn't want to give that sort of free flowing power to the justice department. the timing of the reveal by comey about an investigation that's been going on since july. what does it mean for president trump? global markets may be uncertain... but you can feel confident in our investment experience around the world. call us or your advisor... t. rowe price. invest with confidence.
3:39 pm
3:40 pm
its raised 1 dare devil, 2 dynamic diy duos, and an entrepreneur named sharon.
3:41 pm
its witnessed 31 crashes, 4 food fights, and the flood of '09. it's your paradise perfected with behr premium plus low odor paint. the best you can buy starting under $25. unbelievable quality. unbeatable prices. only at the home depot.
3:42 pm
we're back with our analysts. we're following the breaking news on the federal criminal investigation into the trump campaign's alleged links to russia. there is a lot more to talk about after that dramatic house intelligence committee hearing
3:43 pm
today. gloria, let me ask you. react to director comey. he was asked about the timing, the timing of this investigation, the release of all of this. >> this is still very early in our investiation. is it fair to say that you're still relatively early your investigation? >> it's hard to say because i don't know how much longer it will take, but we've been doing this investigation -- this investigation began in late july so for a counterintelligence investigation, that's a fairly short period of time. >> a lot of people are wondering, it began in late july. but only now we heard there is a formal criminal investigation underway. there was word released during the campaign that the fbi investigation of hillary clinton are going on and people are saying, you know what, they released the hillary clinton investigation information, why not the trump campaign investigation? >> well, and that's the question that democrats are clearly asking. and i think comey only announced
3:44 pm
it today because he was up against the wall and because it's become such a matter of national discussion. not that the e-mails weren't, by the way, they were. i think this is a question that's going to continue to dog him, which is that they've been investigating it for months and that at the time at the comey letter on the clinton e-mails, they'd been investigating the trump associates for three months. >> you heard remember becca, sa there is double standards. >> a lot of democrats hitting their heads on desks. this is disappointing if you importanted hillary clinton or worked for hillary clinton in particular. we don't know that was the fbi's intention to try to throw this election in one way or another, this would be a serious charge
3:45 pm
indeed. it would be unusual they would be talking about in i investigation. and furthermore, the investigation into the russian government not to say the trump administration. they issued a statement at the end of october that russia was involved in the hacking of the dnc, and at the end of october only 55% of americans thought that russia had been involved in the hacking. >> there is a big difference between some congressional report and the fbi director saying we are investigating hillary clinton and even though we didn't charge her and we think her behavior is terrible. not to say about the last minute intervention when the anthony wiener computer was investigated. many people think that cost her the election. comey was all over the election
3:46 pm
-- >> i remember harry reid, the minority leader in december asked for a word from the fbi about some sort of investigation, and he never got it. >> so what comey giveth, comey can taketh away. >> it's one thing of doing it in march of 2016 versus october of 2016 -- >> right. >> could be it different than a criminal investigation? so the course of the investigation could -- i'm just talking about plausibility -- could have changed along the way including after the election when this he had more contact that would lead them back to associates of the trump campaign. so the criminal portion of that, making somebody in the campaign -- >> he said in the statement as with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed.
3:47 pm
that was comey. let me get your reaction, mike, and we'll start off with the comey statement rebutting, rejecting president trump's accusation in the four tweets 16 days ago that president obama ordered the wiretapping of trump tower. listen. >> with respect to the president's tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, i have no information that supports those tweets and we have looked carefully inside the fbi. the department of justice has asked me to share with you that the answer is the same for the department of justice and all of its components. the department has no information that supports those tweets. >> all right. so we got an objection from the fbi, nsa and the white house -- how much credibility does the white house and the president lose? >> i worry that it has other
3:48 pm
implications for them on the credibility factor. what if some major national security event happens? you need to say that the president is acting in the best interest of the country, not saying that he wouldn't do that. but what's going to happen is you'll have a partisan fight, are you telling us everything, why are you making these decisions when it comes to something overseas, a national event. he can say i miss interpreted what i said, i'm sorry about that, we need to move forward. he should stop talking about it, he should move on. think about what's happening in north korea, think about what's happening -- china is rattling their cage in the south china sea. these are major national security issues -- th >> he made it worse for himself bay the white house saying a statement let's have an investigation, let congress
3:49 pm
investigate and now the fbi has investigated, the department of justice is investigating and we've gotten to the bottom of it. >> donald trump doesn't apologize and he doesn't back off. and that's what got him elected i guess, and he's not going to change. he's a 70-year-old man who's had a lot of success and this is his personality. >> we got a statement from paul manafort, who was the trump chairman and he dropped out after the convention started in april. let me put out his statement. i had no role or involvement in the cyberattack on the dnc or the subsequent information kbaned from the attack and i have never spoken with any russian official. the suggestion that i had worked in consent to release hacked e-mails or south to undermine the interests of the united states is false. despite the constant scrutiny and innuendo there are no facts to support these allegation.
3:50 pm
i'm disappointed that anybody would give credence to allegations by individuals in a blatant attempt to discredit me and the legitimate of donald trump. >> he's clearly saying nothing happened. sean spicer said paul manafort had a mineral role in the campaign. he was>> i think that what he i saying is the fbi is wrong here, if they're talk become me. we don't know that ther talking about him. >> the statement said russian government officials 'did not say businessmen who often have very close ties to the government. >> the only bit of caution i will say when james clapper the former dni came out and said i saw no collusion evidence or information, he would be in a position to know that. that was a pretty strong
3:51 pm
statement. so the fbi's saying what they said today tells me there's probably a different direction here that we're not aware of, but this collusion part, that was a very definnative statement. >> that was of january 20th he doesn't know what has happened between january 20th and now. >> if there was a counterintelligence investigation started in july through january 20th he would have a very good idea if that in fact were accurate unless there's some new angle to the investigation. >> are all these people going to be testified manafort, rogers and all these others? >> you mean in front of congress? >> yeah. >> i would imagine they're going to try. it could be interesting to see if you are the subject of an fbi investigation or they believe you might be associated with an investigation if they would even come to show up at congress. matter of fact most lawyers will tell you don't do it. >> or plead the fifth. >> most lawyers of tell you don't even show up if you could avoid it. >> stand by, there's more coming up including north korea
3:52 pm
celebrating an missile test. it's prepared to use it's nuclear sword of justice. or how high the pollen count, flonase allergy relief keeps your eyes and nose clear. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances
3:53 pm
that cause nasal congestion and itchy, watery eyes. for relief beyond the nose. flonase. at crowne plaza we know business travel isn't just business. there's this. 'a bit of this. why not? your hotel should make it easy to do all the things you do. which is what we do. crowne plaza. we're all business, mostly.
3:54 pm
won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. and if you have more than one liberty mutual policy, you qualify for a multi-policy discount, saving you money on your car and home coverage. call
3:55 pm
for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
3:56 pm
3:57 pm
>> tonight new progress by north korea has it works to develop a nuclear weapon that can strike the united states. we're learning more about a missile engine test and the u.s. reaction. let's go to our pentagon correspondent barbara starr. what's the latest. >> reporter: tonight the promise of diplomacy, the threat of war neither option appears to be changing kim jong-un's mind. tonight an urgent race by u.s. intelligence to find these, north korean mobile missile launchers moving around trying to escape the eyes of u.s. satellites overhead. >> he's act very, very badly. >> the threat of north korea is expected to launch more missiles. some might be capable of reaching u.s. soil.
3:58 pm
they delivered these last month to deliver an unwelcomed surprise landing just off japan's coastline. japan now conducting its first ever evacuation drill for sa civilians in the face of the growing threat. kim jong-un the unpredictable leader testing a new miss i i will test. the u.s. things this engine might eventually go on an intercontinental ballistic mitt i will. >> through this test it is assessed that north korea has made meeping full progress in engine performance. >> reporter: it's another potential component for kim's march to be able to attack the u.s. >> the closer that the northian regime gets to being able to deliver a nuclear weapon, we're going to have to be in a position to take some type of preemptive strike. >> reporter: if attacked, even with a single shell, the regime will strike back with such
3:59 pm
power, quote, no living thing can be found. secretary of state rex tils making clear on his trip to asia, the trump administration would consider a military strike against north korea but with the chinese he is take a more consillaer to tone towards beijing's sensitivity. >> i think we share a common view in a sense that tensions on the peninsula are quite high right now and things have reached a dangerous level. and we've committed our telephonselves to did everything we can. >> they say north korea's readiness leflds are such that they could launch missiles or undertake an underground nuclear test on absolutely no notice the u.s. might not know until it happens. wolf. >> very disturbing development indeed. barbara starr reporting from the
4:00 pm
pentagon. thanks very much. once again the president getting ready to address this rally in louisville. we're going to have coverage for that, stand by. that's it for me. thanks for watching. erin burnett out front starts right now. up next the breaking news the fbi director seds there's an investigation into links between the trump campaignnd at russian government he's denies any evidence of wiretapping claims the president will be speaking live this hour. will he fight back? plus more breaking news, personal electronics banned on direct flights from a dozen airlines in the united states. a major security concern linked directly to alqaeda tonight. and is sean spicer's credibility shot? >> good evening i'm erin burnett. out front. president donald trump is wrong and the white house tonight so far will not admit what the fbi director james comey said in a

65 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on