Skip to main content

tv   New Day  CNN  May 2, 2017 4:00am-5:01am PDT

4:00 am
was meant to investigate. how did that happen? "new day" gets after it. >> the trump administration, are they on the verge of another health care defeat. >> we're getting closer and closer every day but not there yet. >> people with pre-existing conditions. >> we have one plan going through. it's getting better and better and better. >> i can't imagine what the right conditions would be for a meeting between our president and kim jong-un. >> obviously he's a smart cookie. >> the president understands and will do whatever is necessary under the right circumstances from the threat they pose. >> the white house is rolling out the red carpet for all these human rights violators. >> announcer: this is "new day" with chris cuomo and alisyn camerota. >> good morning. white house turning up pressure on house republicans to vote this week on a health care bill. trying to get a vote wednesday and now thursday.
4:01 am
remember, congress is going on vacation again. do they have the votes? you're looking at the current whip count. we've got to say current because votes keep changing. there are a lot of uncertain minds. right now you have 21 house republicans against the bill. the simple math would suggest they can only afford to lose one more vote. what is the issue? there's a disconnect between president trump's promise for people with pre-existing conditions and what the bill actually guarantees. so you've got a lot of lawmakers who are concerned that people on their districts were the most vulnerable, the most at risk. >> but some of this health care debate is being overshadowed by eye popping interviews given by the president. president trump doubling down on his assertion that president andrew jackson could have prevented the civil war. and the president is also reaching out to some of the world's rogue leaders. so we have it all covered for you this morning. let's go to cnn suzanne malveaux live on capitol hill for us. good morning, suzanne.
4:02 am
>> reporter: good morning. the house republican plan to repeal and replace obamacare still very much influx, some calling it a do-or-die. asked last night how it was going, whipping up support, he said stay tuned. house republicans once again trying to create this sense of urgency to get something done before now they go on their friday recess. so far house speaker paul ryan has yet to schedule a vote for this. >> mr. vice president, votes on health care? going to get it passed? >> the republican effort to repeal and replace obamacare in jeopardy again. the white house ramping up pressure on house republicans to bring the new bill to a vote this week despite wavering confidence in its fate. >> have the votes for health care. i think we do. >> getting closer and closer every day. we're not there yet. >> cnn's latest whip count has 21 house republicans planning to vote against the bill, which means they can ensemble afford to lose one more vote or it
4:03 am
fails. a big gamble for president trump considering 18 other lawmakers remain undecided. some republicans warning the no count could be even higher. >> probably a few more no votes than 21 at the moment. i don't know what the exact number is. i've heard numbers saying it's within two or three votes and as many as ten. i would suspect it's probably closer to ten than two or three. >> the core issue, how patients with pre-existing conditions would be covered under the new plan. president trump insisting the bill will protect them telling bloomberg news, i want it to be good for sick people. it's not in its final form right now. it will be every bit as good on pre-existing conditions as obamacare. but the bill actually allows states to apply for a waver, allowing insurers to change on pre-existing conditions, attracted house members but alienated moderates. surprise defection congressman
4:04 am
billy long who supported the first bill with drawing his support complaining it strips away any guarantee pre-existing conditions would be covered and affordable. president trump's lack of understanding about what's in the bill growing more apparent. the white house attempting to clarify the president's mixed messages. >> what the president is doing is ensuring going forward as we attempt to repeal and replace it that coverage of pre-existing conditions is at the core of that. that is something he has ensured is in the current bill and will continue to push forward. >> house republican conference will meet in just two hours behind closed doors to try to build on their momentum behind this legislation to see if they actually have the support. then at 10:00 that's when they will come out with gop leadership for press conference to get more information about this. we also expect the vice president to be back here on the hill working in earnest to whip up those votes.
4:05 am
chris. >> suzanne, thank you very much. another story line you'll hear, president trump facing criticism for his praise of brutal world leaders, many with atrocious human rights records. the president says, quote, he would be honored to meet with north korea's kim jong-un. as we learned trump is going to speak with president vladimir putin today, it will be the third time. joe johns live at the white house with details. joe. >> reporter: good morning, chris. that call coming at a time there are multiple investigations into russian interference in the last election. on top of that, you have this situation where the president of the united states is reaching out to strong men, dictators, desp despot. the president's critics say it puts the white house seal of approval on authoritarian rule. the administration says it's all about reaching out and forming alliances against adversaries. >> if it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, i would
4:06 am
absolutely -- i would be honored to do it under the right circumstances. >> reporter: president trump sending shock waves through the international community with the prospect of an american president meeting with north korea's brutal dictator kim jong-un, after praising the nuclear armed despot a day earlier. >> at a very young age he was able to assume power. a lot of people i'm sure tried to take that power away. he was able to do it. obviously he's a pretty smart cookie. >> reporter: the president issuing an impromptu white house invitation to philippines authoritarian president rodrigo duterte, who is overseeing a deadly crackdown on drugs and openly bragged about killing people. the president's willingness to cozy up to rogue leaders with atrocious human rights records is sparking criticism from both sides of the aisle. >> what you do is legitimize a person who is one of the really bad actors in the world.
4:07 am
>> white house press secretary san spicer left to clean up the mess defending trump's praise of kim jong-un. >> he's still head of state. it is sort of -- there's a diplomatic piece. >> the invitation to duterte, who has since rebuffed trump saying he may be too busy to visit. >> it is an opportunity for us to work with countries in that region that can help play a role diplomatically and economically is plating north korea. >> reporter: these aren't the only comments, in an interview with sirius xm he made this perplexing argument the civil war fought over slavery could have avoided. >> had andrew jackso been a little later, you wouldn't have had the civil war. he was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the civil war. he said there's no reason for this. >> reporter: the problem, andrew jackson had been dead for 16 years when the civil war started and was also a slave owner.
4:08 am
president trump later acknowledging this fact on twitter while insisting president jackson, quote, saw it coming. trump also defending his unproven claim that president obama illegally wiretapped his phone, refusing to answer questions about his charge that obama is a bad or sick guy. >> you assistant by that claim about him? >> i don't stand by anything. >> before bankrupt abruptly end intervi interview. >> you don't have to ask me. i have my opinions, you have yours. >> i want to know yours. you're the president of the united states. >> today the call on president trump and putin scheduled for this afternoon. these two men have spoken three times we know of since donald trump became president but the first time since the cruise missile strike on syria which mr. putin said he didn't like at all. >> joe, you've given usa lot of
4:09 am
material. thanks. let's discuss eyebrow raising interviews with chris cillizza, a.b. stoddard and cnn political editor and "new york times" editor patrick healey. >> eyebrow raising, head scratching, insert your own adjective here in terms of what president trump's goal is in saying some of these things in these interviews. patrick, let me start with you. let's play it one more time. he talks about the andrew jackson story more tan once. okay. he likes talking about andrew jackson. he talked to celine, gave her this interview. listen. >> had andrew jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the civil war. he was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. and he was really angry that -- he saw what was happening with regard to the civil war. he said there's no reason for
4:10 am
this. people don't realize, you know, the civil war -- >> yeah. >> think about it, why? people don't ask that question. why was there the civil war? why could that one not have been worked out. >> patrick, what's happening here? >> president trump has such an attachment to andrew jackson. his statement, he's a tough guy with a big heart is word for word how president trump would describe himself on the campaign trail. >> and how he was compared to andrew jackson. >> absolutely. he saw himself as someone who knew how to stand up, who fought for the country. who, again, with so many confrontations. what he seems to either forget or leave out was the incredibly brutal record by andrew jackson to native americans in this country, sort of a view of executive power that would just sort of smash through any kind
4:11 am
of obstacles. i think you see this in how president trump, again, talks about dictators, about strongmen. has he a view as long as your heart is in the right place and you're fighting for country first, things like legislative process and niceties don't matter. this is almost bordering on almost an obsession with him going to andrew jax as his way out. >> i get it. i remember the compare sons during the campaign. i would be slow to draw comparisons between andrew jackson and donald trump. do a quick google, you'll find the men got to office in very different ways. not so much about historical obsession but penchant to ignore facts. nobody asks why we had the civil war. that's absurd, an absurd notion. people have been asking that since 1861. many books written. the absence begins and ends with vagaries surrounding slavery. this is what the president likes
4:12 am
to do, ignore obvious fact in favor of what he thinks. >> that's exactly right. this is a pattern of behavior. look, the comments about surveilling -- him being surveiled by president obama saying a lot of people are talking about it. no, you're talking about it. the truth of the matter is, everybody, fbi director, former director of national intelligence, paul ryan, barack obama all say it's not true. we've seen this over and over again. 3 to 5 million illegal votes cast. he had the biggest inauguration crowd ever. there were muslims celebrating on the rooftops after 9/11. ted cruz's father wasn't potentially involved in the jfk assassination. you only have an hour long show, chris, so i'm not going to throw out all of them. this is what he does. he conflates opinion with fact. you see it in the back and forth with john dickerson. i have my opinion, you have your
4:13 am
opinion. why don't you tell me what you think it means. again, the facts are not on his side often. he simply says that they are. what's dangerous, i think, for our sort of broader healthy democracy is the fact that when he says his facts, lots of people believe them, even thought actual facts give lie to what he is saying. that's the issue here. we can't agree on a set of facts, which is not a good place to be. >> a.b., i'm not a psychologist, but i do play one in the mornings on television, and i see a commonality, in fact, a common thread you can draw from andrew jackson to kim jong-un. if you listen to president trump's words about these two men, i do think there is a reflection -- reflective effect happening here. so let me read them to you. this is what he said about andrew jackson's campaign, since he does like to talk about andrew jackson. they said my campaign is most like my campaign and the win was
4:14 am
most like andrew jackson with his campaign. i said, when was andrew jackson. 1828. a long time ago. that's andrew jackson. a mean and nasty campaign. they said this was the meanest and nastiest. unfortunately it continues. then you listen to what he said just yesterday -- or sunday, about kim jong-un. listen to this. >> and at a very young age, he was able to assume power. a lot of people i'm sure tried to take that power away, whether it was his uncle or anybody else. and he was able to do it. so obviously he's a pretty smart cookie. >> a.b., is it a stretch to think he relates to these people. he, too, got power from his father at a very young age and was able to parlay that into success. are we just sort of seeing what president trump values because it reminds him of himself? >> well, perhaps. i actually think that sometime
4:15 am
during the campaign, steve bannon told donald trump that his movement was similar to the populist attraction of andrew jackson and dragged him down to his grave on his birthday when other advisers in the white house, and this has been reported, wanted him to go to an event with justin trudeau in new york city and bannon talked him out of it. it's a populist hero he wants to emulate and that's why he likes to talk about him. what chris said is true. if donald trump -- it doesn't matter what's in the health care bill, everything for pre-existing conditions is going to be covered beautifully. it will be simple and it will be cheap. whatever he wants to be real is the way he describes things. so facts can be easily discarded. with regard to other strongmen, yes. we have heard him talk about duterte in the philippines, putin russia and others. he loves to cite their approval ratings.
4:16 am
brutal murderous dictators who have high approval ratings at home, he thinks that's impressive. can you go back decades to hear what he said about what chinese government did at tiananmen square, they put down with force what has been going on. he has been talking in this way for decades. he likes a strongman. and i think if donald trump was concerned about human rights, we would know it. he never spoke about this in the campaign and it's not going to be a concern of his. that said, in terms of duterte, he has reached out in a strategic way to the prime ministers of singapore and thailand at the same time trying to have concerted effort to try to sort of buffer the chinese and the south china seas and build this kind of asian coalition for north korea. so that is part of it. but the way he talks about duterte, he's in keeping with the way he's always spoken about strongmen. >> therein lies the problem, which is that what's going on
4:17 am
with north korea, you could sell it, see it as a strategy, trying something new. that's fine. what we see repeatedly with how the president speaks in interviews and to the american people, it shows something that is considerably less well thought out than that. and remember, it's a two-fer, cillizza. you have a president who likes to ignore the facts and who does not like when that is called out. we just got perfect evidence of that at the end of the cbs interview. let me just remind people about this moment? >> i just wanted to find out, you're the president of the united states. you said he was sick and bad -- >> you can take any way you want. >> but i'm asking you, you don't want it to be fake news. i want to hear prosecute president trump. >> you don't have to ask me. >> why not? >> because i have my own opinions, you can have your own opinions. >> i want to know your opinions. you're the president of the united states. >> that's enough. thank you. thank you very much. >> let's put the wave and rude ending to the side, that's his prerogative as president of the united states. you called president obama and bad and sick.
4:18 am
that requires explanation. he didn't want to explain it. he gave a notional answer, well, you make of it whatever you want. >> chris, it's even worse than that in my opinion. i looked at the transcript yesterday. if you go to the transcript right before that exchange, trump is the one who brings in the issue of him being -- allegedly being surveiled by barack obama. so he brings that topic up. john dickerson rightly follows up with, well, you said he was bad and sick. do you have any evidence of being surveiled? again, this is what happens when what we know are facts are confronted with the world that donald trump creates. i've compared him before to that guy in the cartoons driving the train and laying the track down one piece at a time as he goes forward. that's sort of what you see. when confronted with someone who says this is not the best way to make a train track, he reacts the way you saw him react. i would add, john dickerson not
4:19 am
like john cuomo and chris cillizza, fiery italians. that was not a confrontational interview. donald trump can't -- it is very hard for him to deal with being faced with facts. >> panel, thank you very much for trying to help us analyze all of this this morning. great talking to you. what will it take for republicans to get their health bill across the finish line? we have a gop congressman still undecided at this point. perhaps in the next four minutes he will make up his mind and share it with us on "new day." you do all this research
4:20 am
on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. switch and you could save $509 on auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. you know, you missed a bunch of great guys today? where? everywhere you went. who? i don't know, but you could know with new missed connections from match. check it out... oh, crossed paths with john. you had no idea. check out new missed connections on match. start for free today! intelligent technology can help protect it. the all-new audi q5 is here.
4:21 am
♪ can i get some help. watch his head. ♪ i'm so happy. ♪ whatever they went through, they went through together. welcome guys. life well planned. see what a raymond james financial advisor can do for you.
4:22 am
4:23 am
what's going to happen this week with health care. cnn's current whip count shows 21 house republicans opposed to the new gop bill, 18 are undecided. if 2011 those vote no, the bill cannot pass. so joining us now is republican congressman jfrom ohio. good morning. >> good morning.
4:24 am
>> are you yay or nay. >> i'm yes. the new amendment was added. i wanted to take a look at it, vet it, see how it worked with ohio, what it did. of course after i was able to vet through it, remember, i was a supporter of the bill before this amendment. the real key was to see any time there's changes like this i want to make sure i understand it and it's good for ohio. >> at this hour you are a yes, you will vote for the new bill. >> i will. again, i was a supporter prior to this amendment. i'm now a supporter after the amendment. >> let's talk about the amendment. the amendment, as i understand it says, part of it, about pre-existing conditions. let's talk about that since that's the one getting a lot of attention. it's hard to know for people at home whether or not pre-existing conditions absolutely 100% will be covered. what's your understanding? >> well, pre-existing conditions will be covered, pre-existing conditions. the real issue here is this
4:25 am
amendment gives flexibility to states. let's face it, the difference between ohio and california are massive differences. this gives governors the opportunity to really develop their health care program, their medicaid program and some of the systems within the health care based on the state. >> agreed. so since it gives governors that latitude, how can you be so certain this morning that pre-existing conditions will be covered? what if governors say, no, i can't afford that or i don't want to do that. >> first off i look at it, it's best to push this down to state levels anyway. i believe governors know what's best for states like mayors know what's best for cities. the closer you get to people, the better it will be. i'm a big believer in letting it be made at state level. >> how can you guarantee pre-existing conditions will be in everyone's health care coverage. >> i support it. it's an issue already there. it's going to be up to the governors to make that decision. if the governors decide to
4:26 am
remove that, that's something they are going to have to do within the constraints of the people they represent. >> i understand. but that's quite different from what you've said. if the governors decide to remove it, that's their prerogative but leaves people then with pre-existing conditions not covered. >> i think the real answer here is how do we make health care more affordable. the system currently is not working. we've got to give some flexibility. this allows the states to do it. again, i'm a big believer in allowing states to have this flexibility. that's what this amendment does. as governor i would make sure pre-existing conditions were maintained and left in there at some point. but again, i think allowing flexibility, you can't have a one size fits all, which is really the problem we have with health care today. the obamacare is collapsing because it's a one size fits all. >> you say that's what you would do as governor, but there's no guarantee the other 49 governors would do that. so what do you say to the american public for whom this is
4:27 am
a really important condition? >> well, again, what i would tell the american public is we are voting a package that does allow to maintain for pre-existing conditions, we're giving states flexibility. that's the real key. this is going back to the states where most people want it to be. most people want additions to be made as close as they can to them so they have a voice in the decisions that are being made. >> yes. but i mean, look, not to belabor this but it does mean some people will lose their coverage. >> i don't believe that. i don't believe there's any governor out there who is going to try and eliminate coverage. i think what the governors will do is design programs that best fit their states, make sure it's designed for the people in the state. as i said, the difference between ohio and california is major. so i like to see governors have the opportunity to build a program that works, brings costs down and covers people, which is what we're seeing. we have to make sure coverage is there. >> have you talked to president trump about your yes vote? >> president trump knows i support the plan. he knew that in the previous
4:28 am
version and he knows it now. >> so what do you think is going to happen? will there be a vote this week on this plan? >> well, again, that's up to the leadership if they are going to bring the vote to the table. i would hope we can move this forward. it is important we get health care passed us, especially this part. we move it over to the senate, let the senate start doing their work on it. i'm a big process person. we are not following the process, we can't keep this moving. i hope we get it on the floor, i hope it passes and move it forward. remember, as i tell people back home, this is not the final bill. it will go to the senate. the senate will change it, maybe eliminate provisions, add provisions, send it back. that's the process that really should work here. >> one last thing, congressman, there have been reports this amendment and the new plan that actually members of congress like your self would be exempted from changes. can you clarify that? will you have exactly the same coverage as your constituents or
4:29 am
do members of congress have a different plan? >> there's another piece of legislation that's bundled with this. take the amendment by itself, which some people are doing, it does exempt congress. the problem is there's another bill which i co-sponsored that means members of congress are not exempt from this. if you take the entirety of the bill, no, members of congress wll not be exempt. >> okay. congressman renacci, thank you very much for sharing your stance on this health care plan. chris, back to you. >> why does president trump say things like this. >> why was there the civil war? why could that one not have been worked out? >> you stand by that claim? >> i don't stand by anything. you can take it the way you want. actually this is more work than my previous life. i thought it would be easier. >> the president has just done a spate of interviews. up next we're going to take a look at what might be his motivation for making comments
4:30 am
that not just confound us with fact but make us question what is motivations are next. why the samsung galaxy s8 is better on verizon? well we have the largest 4g lte network in america. yeah that's a pretty good reason. and the most reliable. uh-huh. and, with unlimited, you get full hd video. oh wow, yeah, that's, uh, two, maybe even three reasons right there. it's exactly three. okay. sure, whatever you say. (vo) if you really, really want the best, switch to verizon unlimited and get the galaxy s8 for just $15 a month. i saw you take those phones, you know. no, you didn't.
4:31 am
i have to tell you something. dad, one second i was driving and then the next... they just didn't stop and then... i'm really sorry. i wrecked the subaru. i wrecked it. you're ok. that's all that matters. (vo) a lifetime commitment to getting them home safely. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
4:32 am
you need one of these. you wouldn't put up with an umbrella that covers you part way, so when it comes to pain relievers, why put up with just part of a day? aleve, live whole not part. tell you what, i'll give it to you for half off.
4:33 am
4:34 am
all right. so president trump just did a spate of interviews and they have given us a real host of things to struggle with. baffling comments as he was going through his 100 day mark. it makes us wonder why he says some of the things he says. why would he once again say maybe it wasn't russia that did the hacking, maybe it was china. why would he say again he was wiretapped by the obama white house and it's been proven strongly. in an interview with sirius xm radio he did some revisionist history questioning aloud, quote, why was there a civil war? he said nobody asks that question. historians answered with a single word that's been asked in 1861, slavery. he then waded back into troubled territory by again praising dictators this time telling bloomberg reporter he would be, quote, honored to meet with north korea's notorious leader kim jong-un. he defended extending a white house invitation to philippines
4:35 am
president despite his atrocious human rights record. trump noting duterte's high approval ratings. in an interview with cbs asked if he stands by unproven wiretapping claim, you know what his answer was, i don't stand by anything. he abruptly ended the interview when asked to justify why he called president obama bad and sick. last but not least when asked to reflect on being president he summed it up by saying he thought being president would be easier. why? i give him a pass on thinking the job would be easier but these other things confounding notions of fact. simone sanders press secretary for bernie 2016 and jeffrey, political commentator and white house official. jeffrey, are you a lover of history, we do not have to go back and forth with what started
4:36 am
the civil war. we understand that. the question is, what do you think motivates the president's continuing desire to conflict with fact? why does he do it when he has to know it's going to drive another negative cycle. >> i think he's just answering questions. the civil war issue i think has been way overblown. i was just looking at his statement again. he was saying quite clearly, and he used the phrase, if jackson had been there a little later, meaning if he had been president in 1856, between 1856 and 1860, he might have been a whole lot less passive than james buchanan was. >> except andrew jackson also owned slaves, except andrew jackson was a plantation owner that also owned slaves. because of the civil war was slavery, it was the confederacy
4:37 am
that attacked the union, the south that attacked the north that caused an illegal and costly war all because they wanted to defend their right to own african people and descendants of african people because they benefited economically. >> you are 100% right. as i said said many times and written many times, andrew jackson as a co-founder of your party was one of the people who put this core of racism at the center of the democratic party, which exists today. simone. >> that's a reach. i think the culture of racism -- hold on. both of you are going down a rabbit hole i have no interest in. that's not the topic today. it's a complete distraction, jeffrey, and i'll tell you why. here is the issue before us. why does the president insist on if he's going to get things wrong never owning that error. it's not true people ask why we
4:38 am
had a civil war, not recei rhetorically or literally, he doubles down. that's the pattern. >> chris, he did not say that. >> he did. >> please, i just read the statement right here. he said if he were there a little bit later. he knew he was dead for heaven's sakes. he's been to his home. >> whether he was dead or not. the point is him saying we don't ask why about the civil war, that's just not true. then when pushed on it, he doubles down. when he's asked about russia and he says it could have been china, you have all the intelligence community say it's not true. you have the men in uniform around him saying it's not true. then he's given an opportunity and, again, he doubts it. why? why continue the pattern of fighting fact? why? >> because, chris, he doesn't agree that what you're saying is fact. i don't agree with it either.
4:39 am
>> you disagree with the entire intelligence community and the people he's put around him as trussed advisers, none of him -- none of whom agree with what you're saying and the president is saying that maybe it wasn't russia. what's your basis. >> i am saying that general flynn's name is out there because -- >> general flynn. >> yes, because he was listened to, surveiled by american intelligence community. >> that has nothing to do with what i just asked you, jeffrey. that has nothing to do with what i just asked you. flynn was never surveiled. he was picked up on surveillance of someone else. that's a material difference and you know it. >> you know, chris, i guess my point is your question is why does donald trump do this. i believe this is how donald trump has gotten through his entire adult life. he's been afforded this luxury, this privilege because of who he was. he was a celebrity, an allegedly very, very rich businessman with
4:40 am
a lot of power and a lot of access. so that works, i guess, in the business world where no one -- his words are not under constant scrutiny, he's his own boss. when you're president of the united states, you work for the people. i think we've seen that the smell test doesn't hold up. donald trump is having a realtime adjusting to the reality that the rest of us have lived in for our entire lives and it's not serving him well. frankly, i don't think he cares. he doesn't care. >> jeffrey, counter. >> chris, i don't understand where were these stories when president obama said he had an uncle that liberated one of the death camps where unless he was a russian simply didn't happen. >> we are talking about donald trump. we're talking about donald trump. >> we're talking about presidents and dealing with history. >> wait. this isn't normal, jeffrey. this is not normal. >> hold on. >> jeffrey, how does it serve --
4:41 am
how are you serving the president well -- >> he's not. >> by obviously distracting from his own concerns, bringing up presidents past. i'm not in any way saying we had perfect people in office before president trump. what i'm saying is if i ask you about what he said and why it's false and why he doesn't correct it, he's not instructed at all to say other people have done the same thing. >> chris, chris, chris, he's answering a question. you may not like the answer. >> incorrectly. it's not liking it, it's whether it's true or not. it's not an opinion. >> chris, it is your opinion. it's your opinion. chris, what you are doing here is constructing and you're certainly not alone, a media narrative about donald trump and i am countering it, that's all. >> jefrry, how is it a basis of opinion that when the intelligence community comes and has a consensus, when the men and women around the president at his own choosing say this is about russia, when we're holding
4:42 am
congressional hearings, how is it just a mere opinion when i say the president is wrong to say it was china not russia? >> where is the proof that donald trump and the russians colluded for him to win the election. >> that's not what i'm asking you about. they are doing an investigation right now. maybe they will find proof, maybe they won't. i asked you something else, i don't know how you ran away from it. i don't know how that serves the president well. >> i'm not running away from it, chris. i'm just saying there are disagreements with the way you're presenting things. that's all. that's no crime. this is america, god bless it. >> got to go, simone, last word. >> there's no disagreement with the facts, the facts do matter. the bar for this white house is so low, the bar for donald trump is low. if it was anybody else under any other circumstances, we would hold them accountable. we need to raise the bar. >> not barack obama. >> simone, jeffrey, i love you both. rel relax. next time.
4:43 am
nxt time. alisyn. >> an idea by president trump could end up costing you more money at the pump. we'll tell you the details next. your insurance company won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. switch and you could save $509 on auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
4:44 am
4:45 am
4:46 am
president trump says he's considering raising the federal tax on gasoline. what could that cost you? christine romans joins us now. >> what can it pay for. raising gas tax a no-go for republicans but the president said he would consider it to fund infrastructure. >> the truckers have said that they want me to do something as long as that money is earmarked to highways. >> the federal gas task has not increased since 1993. the price at the pump has been overall rising here but still near the lowest prices in a decade. high supply, weak demand, overall extra cash in the pocket of every day americans. higher gas taxes would be felt most by lower income drivers and folks in rural areas who drive more. gas taxes could disproportionately affect people who elected president trump. the bill to repair highways, bridges, airports could top a
4:47 am
trillion dollars. administration needs revenue and gas tax raised $29 billion in 2015. so it is a source of revenue to pay for some much needed repairs. >> all right. christine romans, thank you as always. so she worked for the fbi and ended up marrying an isis fighter. this is a must see cnn exclusive investigation next. when did you see the sign? when i needed to create a better visitor experience. improve our workflow. attract new customers. that's when fastsigns recommended fleet graphics. yeah! now business is rolling in. get started at fastsigns.com. yeah! now business is rolling in. kevin, meet yourkeviner. kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin kevin
4:48 am
kevin kevin kevin trusted advice for life. kevin, how's your mom? life well planned. see what a raymond james financial advisor can do for you. you're in the match app. now tap on the new missed connections feature. it says i've crossed paths with kate six times this week. that is a lot of times. she's cute too! yea! how did i miss her? you didn't. match picked it up for you. check out new missed connections on match. start for free today!
4:49 am
your only worry...ty customer first guarantee... will be how to drink this monstrosity. get help with hotels, free twenty-four-hour flight changes, and our price match guarantee. travelocity.® wander wisely.™
4:50 am
4:51 am
now to an exclusive investigation. an incredible real-life drama involving an fbi translator that grows rogue and marys the isis fighter she was assigned to investigate. >> it has rattled the fbi. the fbi telling us they have changed procedures to tighten up the vulnerables this case exposed. but clearly for a time the fbi lost contact and control of one of its own. he is known by isis as the german. a notorious isis fighter and recruiter, a former german rapper who called for violent
4:52 am
jihad. he is a german national targeted by the united states as a specially designated global terrorist who survived a missile strike in 2015 and believed to be still alive in syria. what has not been disclosed until now is an fbi employee with top secret clearance lied to her bosses, secretly traveled to syria and married him for a time, becoming the isis bride of the very terrorist she was assigned to investigate. that former employee is daniel la green. having violated the public trust and endangered our nation's security, green served two years in prison and is now free. she wouldn't answer cnn's questions saying if i talk to you my family will be in danger.
4:53 am
the information about her case comes from previously sealed court documents. the records unsealed only after green finished cooperating with authorities and after prosecutors asked the judge to make them public, unsealing these documents they write would allow appropriate public access to this case. green who was lar married traveled to syria in the summer of 2014 and not only spent time in the company of isis, but ended up marying an infamous isis terrorist. >> he is calling upon his followers to commit attacks inside europe. he says, quote, europe is a new battleground. and he says go and slaughter them, take hostages, kill them. >> she was raised in germany, met and married a u.s. army soldier. the u.s. army brought her south to south carolina where he
4:54 am
enrolled in clemson history department seeking her master's. >> she was a hard-working conscientious student. >> a few years after graduation, the fbi hired green as a translator, assigning her to the detroit field office. she was tasked with a terrorist labeled individual a. cnn has learned cn nrks nrknn a german rapper. it turns out the fbi knew of only two accounts. green has sole access to a third skype account and in june 2014 green told her supervisor she was making a trip to germany to visit family. instead, she flew through toronto, crossed the syrian border with the help of the terrorists and disappeared. there in isis controlled syria, government prosecutors say she
4:55 am
met with the isis terrorist and not only married him but told him she was employed by the fbi and that the fbi had an open investigation into his activities. professor says any tale involving terrorism simply could not involve the daniella green he knew. >> i would assume you would find that hard to believe. >> i would be dumbfounded by that. it would be hard to believe. i don't think there is anything in her background that would suggest to me or any of the people she worked with her proclivities in that direction. so, yes, i would be survived. >> shortly after, daniella green had a change of heart and writing e-mails to the united states. i was weak. i really made a mess of things this time. the following day she wrote, i
4:56 am
am gone and i can't come back. i am in syria. i am in a very harsh environment. i don't know how long i will last here. i will probably go to a prison for a long time if i come back, but that is life. on august 6th, 2014, daniella green left syria, left isis and did return to the united states where she was immediately arrested. >> daniella green's arrest and plea deal would receive no publicity at all from the department of justice. the case quietly hidden. court records sealed for months, even after her case became a matter of public record still license. >> a look on the website show page after page of press releases about similar terrorism arrests over the years, but this one stayed buried until now. >> this is a wild tale involving
4:57 am
terrorism, the fbi, matters of national security and i's hard to imagine there would not be public interest in it. >> scott glover discovered the court documents. >> i think it is a fair assessment to say it's embarrassing when an employee with a top secret national security clearance secretly travels to syria and marys a terrorist who is the subject of the investigation that she's working on. >> what is even more stunning about this case is how it ended. green began cooperating with the fbi immediately upon her arrest. she pleaded guilty to false statements involving international terrorism. the government said she skated a line dangerously close to other more serious charges. the nature and circumstances of this event warrant serious punishment. similar cases have ended in sentences of 8, 10, 15 years in federal prison. green was sentenced to just two. according to prosecutors, it was because of her cooperation.
4:58 am
she's already out on probation, but free. as for the german rapper turned isis soldier who married the fbi contractor remains at large and still a specially designated global terrorist. >> hey, drew. riveting, riveting story. all of us here in the story were watching with attention. i know you addressed this, but why did this fbi agent get such a light sentence? >> the department of justice, one official there tried to tell us her sentence was in lined with similar cases. but offered us no proof and no analysis of that. and like we said in the report, similar cases like this, we've seen cases where the people get 8 up to 15 and sometimes even much more than that when they have lied to the fbi about terrorist investigations. >> are they still tracking the terrorist? >> they are tracking him. he's been a lot less active
4:59 am
since that missile strike but believed to be living in syria and one sources telling us with a new wife from sweden. >> that was one you had to see to believe. thank you very much for bringing it to us. all right. we are following a lot of news, including president trump's health care gamble. do they have the votes? if they're not sure, why are they doing it? let's get after it. >> we're going to get health care down to the floor of the house. we're convinced we've got the votes. >> i suspect there are probably no more votes at the moment. >> there is clearly a disconnect between what the president believes is in a bill and what is actually in the bill. >> it would be appropriate for me to meet with them, i would be honored to do with it. >> you legitimize a person who is a bad actor. >> i don't see any harm in trying to improve america's relationship with a dictator in north korea.
5:00 am
>> we have a president who shows a disturbing pension for authoritarian figures. >> this is "new day" with chris cuomo and alisyn camerota. >> good morning. it is tuesday, may 2nd, 8:00 in the east. the trump administration wants house republicans to vote this week on their health care bill. cnn's kurn whip count and it changes every hour as you might now since watching "new day" last year. it has 21 republicans against it. they could only afford to lose one more vote could republicans be on the verge of another health care defeat. >> the debate getting overshadowed by president trump's comments in a series of interviews. he's raising questions about why president andrew jackson couldn't have prevented the civil war and sounding alarms with his outreach to some of the world's reogue leaders. what is the state of play? >> very much in

25 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on