Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  May 5, 2017 12:00pm-1:01pm PDT

12:00 pm
many lives and represented true strength. >> when you get the call from the president's office, that's like a whole other -- that's a game changer. >> reporter: still, these guys say -- >> we greatly appreciate it but it's not warranted. >> reporter: do you feel heroic? >> i just feel like it's part of my job. i have done my job. >> reporter: dianne gallagher, cnn, atlanta, georgia. >> we continue on. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. moments ago, the white house said it does expect changes to the health plan. the president hailed 24 hours ago after the house passed it. his first massive victory act. now the american health care act is in the hands of the u.s. senate. while senators look at what the house approved, some of them are also working on their own version of the bill. the white house remains confident the primary parts of the bill will remain. however, deputy press secretary
12:01 pm
sarah huckabee sanders filling in for sean spicer today failed to embrace -- failed to actually call it trumpcare. >> i think that the one thing that you can be sure of is to never underestimate this president. i think he's shown time and time again when he's committed to something, it's going to get done. he's made no secret he's committed to reforming the health care system. you are going to see that process take place. we are not going to get ahead of the legislative process. we expect there to be some changes but we expect the principles and the main pillars of the health care bill as it exists now to remain the same. the fact that obamacare is simply unsustainable. democrats know that. republicans know that. the american people know that. we have to have change. that's what we are going to get. we fully anticipate that to take place. >> let's begin the hour with the white house reporter for the ""wall street journal" carol lee. listening to when she was pressed on what sort of
12:02 pm
deadline, how long is the president willing to wait, this thing could take months and months with the u.s. senate, it was clear she was very hesitant to set any sort of deadline whatsoever. >> yes. that's exactly right. they don't want to set a deadline. congress does not do well under deadlines and they don't like to be told what to do and when. but deadlines have also not been a friend to this white house in their previous attempt to get health care. they also are very aware this is going to be a big fight in the senate for a number of reasons. last night we heard the president, i was traveling with him in new york and he was saying that the bill is destined probably to change and his spin on that was that it could change for the better. i think there are republicans in congress who may disagree with that but the senate, they will take up the bill, they will be fighting over a number of things, principally the medicare expansion issue, and you know, it remains to be seen how they get this done. the white house definitely does not want to set a deadline.
12:03 pm
>> one of the questions asked was about how the president was meeting with the australian prime minister last night, which you covered, and essentially the president was saying that australians' health care system is even better than ours which by the way, it's universal health care. then in the briefing, sarah huckabee sanders was asked about that comment and is that the case? this is what she said. >> premiums are going to come down very substantially. the deductibles are going to come down. it's going to be fantastic health care. right now obamacare is failing. we have a failing health care -- i shouldn't say this to our great gentlemen, my friend from australia, because you have better health care than we do. we are going to have great health care very soon. >> i think he believes they have a good health care system for australia. again, that's one of the biggest things that is wrong with obamacare. it's tried to be a one size fits all. that's the opposite of what the plan is that we are putting in place right now. it allows for state flexibility.
12:04 pm
what works in australia may not work in the united states. so i think again, he was complimenting the prime minister and we are focused on putting a health care plan in place that works here. >> i don't know, sort of a swerve from sarah huckabee sanders. even senator bernie sanders, no relation, came on anderson cooper last night and said sure, mr. president, let's definitely take australia's health care system. >> reporter: right. that's not what republicans want to hear. certainly they would have had heartburn over the president saying that. i was in the room and he seemed a little off the cuff in the moment and what you heard from sarah, she was trying to distance the president from that statement while also not being insulting to australia. as you know, the president has had not a great start to relations there. they were trying to repair them with their meeting last night. so i think that generally, obviously this is a white house
12:05 pm
and president who does not want something like universal health care but that comment certainly stirred up some things. >> some stuff. thank you so much. let's continue the conversation. with me, professor of health policy management at the university of minnesota, lynn blewit, expert on health insurance coverage and high risk pools. lynn, welcome. also with us, cnn politics reporter and editor at large, chris celizza. there were colorful responses from some senators in the midst of the house passing the bill. you had senator graham saying like y'all, i'm still waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl. senator corker saying i turned the volume off some time ago and have no idea what the house is even passing. what sort of harbinger is that for how this will go in the
12:06 pm
other chamber? >> some of this is the disdain with which senators view house members. they view them as sort of the lower chamber, literally and figuratively, that the senate is where the real governing takes place. some of that is what you are seeing there. the other thing is the reality of the situation. the bill that passed the house cannot pass the senate. there just aren't the votes for it. remember, republicans do have a majority but it's 52 seats. it's not 65 seats. they just don't necessarily have enough oomph to pass it. this bill is going to have to be changed. whether that's amended, rewritten, i think that remains to be seen. i do think some of that is senatorial elitism to their little brother, the house. >> okay. fair. that is sort of how they see them. but we are looking at their little brothers behind the president and you wrote about this as well. maybe if you are looking to look inclusive and diverse and
12:07 pm
whatnot, this is not the picture of diversity, all these white guys in ties. let me move on. now we are looking at this group of senators tasked with working on this bill, building a consensus and as we all look at this picture, chris, what's missing? >> yeah. well, a woman or anyone of color. you know, look, this is a -- it is first of all, politics, it's a problem for a party that's struggling with -- and has struggled with the stereotype that it's a bunch of old white men. in terms of perspective more broadly, wanting to bring as many voices in policy-wise, it's obviously a problem there, too. the issue is the republican congress is not terribly diverse. this is not a huge surprise to people who follow it closely. but you are talking about under 10% of the house republicans who are women, talking about under 1% of house republicans that are african-american. you know, there are two african-american congresspeople, republicans, if you are
12:08 pm
wondering, mia love and will herd. this is an issue they have. they have a little more diversity at the gubernatorial level. governor martinez of mexico and nikki haley. this is the issue they have. it's not only that they pick those people. it's the fact they don't have a huge variety to pick from. they don't have a diversity of opinion, a diversity of background. that's part of the issue for them. >> right. which matters when you are talking about women's health issues. >> exactly. when you are talking about issues that are both so personal in that regard, in regards health care, you want as many different variant voices as you can coming from different backgrounds as you can. they don't really have that. >> okay. chris, don't go far. i will come back to you. lynn, talk about the high risk pools, they have existed for, from what i roead, 30 plus year before obamacare. your state was one of the first
12:09 pm
to create this high risk pool, operating for more than three decades but it isn't cheap for the public or the patients. premiums skyrocketed. what lessons were learned there? >> well, i think we had one of the oldest and largest high risk pools and even with the largest high risk pool we only had 26,000 people enrolled. that enrollment stayed pretty steady over the last ten years. what we have learned is there are high costs. so the costs kept going up, the premiums are relatively high so not everybody who has a pre-existing condition can even afford to enroll in the high risk pool. >> okay. that's a piece of this as we are looking into some of the policy. chris, back to you, as these members of congress head out to recess, we thought the previous town halls were colorful and boisterous and i can only imagine, you know, what democratic agitators may show up and who knows what may happen at some of these town halls.
12:10 pm
what are you watching for back home for these folks? >> look, every republican who voted for this, 217 of them, has to know that they took a very big risk here. now, the argument for it is that they had to pass something or run the risk of losing their base entirely. without your base, you are not going to even come close to holding the house in 2018. but they had to know this bill is not the most popular thing in the world. there's polling, 17%, i have seen in the 30s in terms of people wanting it. even as obamacare gets more popular. so this is always a dicey political proposition. this was not between a good choice and a bad choice. this was between a bad choice and what they calculated to be an even worse choice. i don't think they -- they certainly shouldn't be surprised to hear some blowback on this, particularly as regards pre-existing conditions, particularly in many of the states in which the medicaid funding, medicaid expansion plan was frozen in 2020.
12:11 pm
opioid and addiction funding stripped out of the bill. we haven't heard that much about it yet. we will hear more about it in the senate. there's a lot in here that impacts people's individual lives. that's why changing health care is so difficult. it's not a pie in the sky conversation that people can't relate to. this is about when you go to your primary care physician, how much it costs, whether you can afford it. as the professor said, for people in the high risk pools, many of them, the premiums are just too high. how much money can they subsidize it with, is that enough. >> let me ask lynn, on medicaid, how devastating will this be for the states on the medicaid front? >> well, the bill the house passed is just completely devastating for the states. it cuts $8 billion from the medicaid program and basically takes, for minnesota, it's $1 billion. it takes significant amount of money both from our economy, from our providers, from the basic infrastructure of the state and requires us to
12:12 pm
completely change the way that we are operating once again when we just spent the last seven yoe years implementing the affordable care act. not to mention the increase in the number of uninsured which the cbo estimated on the first bill, 24 million people would end up without health insurance. it's devastating both for cuts to the program and for the people who are going to lose coverage. >> by the way, to that point, it is not as though just because the house voted and passed this bill, the cbo is not going to score this and tell us how much it's going to cost and -- >> it will. like in two weeks? >> it's coming. it will come. procedurally, it was complicated, but procedurally it has to come before the senate votes if they are going to use a simple majority. that's going to be another problem to answer for if it cuts off a lot of people. >> right. right. >> the additional problem -- >> go ahead, please. >> okay. i was just going to say, an additional problem is our insurance plans are right now
12:13 pm
setting their premiums and the situation is so chaotic, they don't know how to set premiums. they don't know what's going to happen next month. are the costs reduction, all their cost reductions subsidies going to be funded. this kind of decision making and this last minute and not knowing has really been chaotic for insurors and for people and for states. it's very unfortunate, i think, and not often felt at the national level or at the congress, where people on the ground really need more information and need more security in what's going to happen. >> i know it felt last minute to you and so many americans. to chris' point, the senate will take a good long, long, long look at this before anything potentially gets through. thank you so much for your expertise. chris, always a pleasure. thank you. thank you both. coming up, on this same conversation, survivors of sexual assault. some of them are furious about this new health care plan.
12:14 pm
warning that it could make the ordeal they face even worse by turning assault into a pre-existing condition. there's a lot of misinformation out there. let's get the facts. we will talk to a survivor coming up. also ahead, the united states accused of an assassination plot against the leader of north korea with a biochemical substance. spy movie, perhaps? pyongyang says this is very real. more than 100 years, the white house has only had nine chief ushers. this woman was the first woman, first african-american in the job. now she's out. why some are stunned she is no longer at the white house. ♪ ♪ ♪
12:15 pm
i'm dr. kelsey mcneely and some day you might be calling me an energy farmer. ♪ energy lives here.
12:16 pm
12:17 pm
we're on the move. hey rick, all good? oh yeah, we're good. we're good. terminix. defenders of home. this i gotta try ldcats 'til we die... bendy... spendy weekenders. whatever kind of weekender you are, there's a hilton for you. book your weekend break direct at hilton.com and join the weekenders. i can just quit school and get a job. daddy's here. hi hey buddy hey dad i think we can do this. adam baily.
12:18 pm
adam baily. north korea accusing the u.s. and south korea of plotting to kill their leader with a biochemical substance. this report claims the cia and
12:19 pm
south korean intelligence colluded with the man they call human scum to take kim jong-un down. let's go to ivan watson, our cnn senior international correspondent, live in seoul, south korea. i mean, all the details that north korea is alleging and why even put this out there? >> reporter: part of an information war, perhaps. before i go any further, i just want to point out, cnn cannot confirm any of these claims. the north korea ncns haven't gi hard evidence or images to back this up and u.s. and south korean intelligence officials have dismissed the accusations as well. basically, they claim that the cia and south korean intelligence recruited a north koreat t korean timber worker in far eastern russia and later at a chinese border city, they claim he was supplied with more than a half million dollars as well as
12:20 pm
a satellite transmitter. they have only identified the north korean citizen by the surname kim, which is the most commonly used name here on the korean peninsula and that allegedly the mission was for him to gather intelligence and target north korea's supreme leader either at a military parade or at the tomb of his father and grandfather in pyongyang. now, another bit of context here. the state media that published this on a given day in april, they also published reports, i will paraphrase here, with a north korean youth group planning to bomb the enemies of north korea with five million nuclear bombs, in a separate dispatch the same day claiming that north korean forces would kill all u.s. troops so that there wouldn't be a single american man left to sign a letter of surrender. those are the kind of
12:21 pm
outrageous, bombastic pieces of propaganda that normally come out of north korean state media. why we should put this latest claim in a bit of context. also, while north korea makes these accusations, it's facing charges that it murdered the half brother of north korean dictator in broad daylight in february in the airport in kuala lumpur using chemical vx nerve agent, charges it denies. brooke? >> so bizarre. ivan watson, thank you for that. out of south korea for us. coming up next, back on health care, survivors of sexual assault taking to social media over this republican health care plan that passed the house. some of them are worried that their trauma could be considered a pre-existing condition. we will fact-check that and hear from a survivor who could be directly affected. to do the best for your pet, you should know more about the food you choose.
12:22 pm
with beyond, you have a natural pet food that goes beyond telling ingredients to showing where they come from. beyond assuming the source is safe... to knowing it is. beyond asking for trust... to earning it. because, honestly, our pets deserve it. beyond. natural pet food. at where instead of payinging a befor middlemen,em. we work directly with family farms to deliver higher quality ingredients for less than you pay at the store. get $30 off at blueapron.com/cook won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says you picked the wrong insurance plan. no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, you won't have to worry about replacing your car because you'll get the full value back including depreciation. switch and you could save $509
12:23 pm
on auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
12:24 pm
12:25 pm
but we've got the get tdigital tools to help. now with xfinity's my account, you can figure things out easily, so you won't even have to call us. change your wifi password to something you can actually remember, instantly. add that premium channel, and watch the show everyone's talking about, tonight. and the bill you need to pay?
12:26 pm
do it in seconds. because we should fit into your life, not the other way around. go to xfinity.com/myaccount welcome back. i'm brooke baldwin. one of the concerns to come out of this house republican health care bill is its impact on survivors of rape and domestic violen violence. before obamacare became law in 2010, some women complained that they were denied coverage because insurors considered the treatment they needed because of a rape or assault as a pre-existing condition. joining me now is jeannette moreland, a survivor of sexual assault who now works with the rape abuse and incest national network. also with us, cnn national politics reporter m.j. lee.
12:27 pm
ladies, thank you both so very much. m.j., let me begin with you. i have been reading so much about this. there is so much misinformation out there about this new republican bill and sex assault victims, you see headlines like this makes rape a pre-existing condition and worries about loss of coverage. what are the facts? >> look, there is a lot of misinformation about this house bill that passed yesterday. it is because it is genuinely a very complicated and big issue so just to clear things up, here is what the house actually voted on yesterday as it pertains to pre-existing conditions. remember, there was a lot of debate about this. there's a lot of fighting within the republican party to get to a consensus. what they eventually decided on is states would be offered the option of applying for waivers from the requirement in obamacare that insurance companies cannot charge you more if you have a pre-existing condition. how does this apply to a rape survivor? well, if you have been raped and
12:28 pm
you have presumably and hopefully gotten a lot of treatment for it and that could include treatment for a mental disorder. now, prior to obamacare, that treatment that you have gotten in the past could have counted as a pre-existing condition and therefore insurance companies could have charged you more. i think the fear that's out there is that if you live in a state that potentially applies for this waiver, then because of your past and your medical history, you suddenly are looking at a situation where you can't afford insurance. >> it's the states is what i'm hearing. so m.j., thank you for that. jeannette, obviously i want your reaction to what happened yesterday. first, can you briefly tell me your story, the care you needed afterward? >> yeah. i was sexually assaulted my sophomore year of college and i don't think that anyone ever plans for rape to be part of their story. i was just elected student body president and was completely humiliated and so ashamed to seek help. but eventually got to the point
12:29 pm
where i had to. the mental trauma i faced, i suffered from night terrors and post-traumatic stress disorder and prompted me to go to my university and under title ix i was able to receive a no contact order from my assaulter and began to go to therapy. i was provided medication to help me deal with some of the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder and eventually was able to come to the point where i was able to make peace with what had happened and the fact that i'm able to share my story now is a huge testament to the importance of mental health care and treatment. so when i heard that this bill was being brought forward, it almost seemed like, you know, my willingness to speak up and seek help was being punished. i'm 22 years old and i'm fortunate to be on my parents' health care, but the next time that i apply for insurance, will the fact that i sought help for something that i never wanted to happen to me potentially make me unable to afford my health insurance? we already live in a society
12:30 pm
where rape and sexual assaults, the culture is often blamed on the victim and 95% of perpetrators are never brought to justice. so i really feel like this is one more reason that sexual assault survivors feel like they can't speak out. to me, that is really concerning. >> that's, in reading about all this, that's my worry. that women or men are hesitant to speak up and if there is even a fear of loss of coverage, that people would be reluctant to reporting a rape. >> absolutely. >> yes. yes. >> yeah. that is a choice that you should never have to make. our government and our society should be supporting survivors and empowering them. the fact that so many go and report it is because we do live in this system and health insurance is already a huge worry for people being able to afford. i feel like this is going to continue to push people to silence which absolutely shouldn't happen. >> let me point this one thing out, for people who are watching, listen very closely.
12:31 pm
m.j., even if obamacare is replaced tomorrow, insurors in 44 states will still be barred by law from considering domestic and sexual abuse a pre-existing condition and in states that don't have that law, history shows insurors don't necessarily take advantage of that loophole. >> yeah, that's right. this is going to be a complicated issue that the senate now has to take on as well. we were talking about this in the last hour, that it was notable and it's being picked up by a lot of people, we are looking at the list of the working group, the senate republicans that is working on the next bill that will come out of the senate and -- >> no women. >> right. we are only half the country. no big deal. but the optics certainly isn't great, especially since senate republicans are emphasizing that they want to be very inclusive, they want to have moderates, conservatives involved in the dialogue. i'm personally surprised someone like susan collins wouldn't have been on that list. she's an example of someone who
12:32 pm
is female and has been very involved in the health care talks. >> yeah. memo to the senate, add a lady on that list. mj, thank you. jeannette, thank you so much for just coming on national tv, telling your stories and how you feel. thank you both ladies. i appreciate both of you. coming up next, family with two young kids threatened with jail if they don't get off a delta flight. the new video catching fire online. what you need to know about your passenger rights. i can just quit school and get a job. daddy's here. hi hey buddy hey dad i think we can do this. adam baily. adam baily.
12:33 pm
we're on the move. hey rick, all good? oh yeah, we're good. we're good. terminix. defenders of home.
12:34 pm
12:35 pm
12:36 pm
delta airlines is apologizing for kicking a family with two young children off of a flight after they were in their seats. this incident happened last month. the husband recently posted the video online. at issue here was the seat occupied by the man's infant son.
12:37 pm
it was apparently booked under the name of his older son, who took an earlier flight. >> i don't know what to tell you. i'm just trying to do the best i can. unfortunately, he can't be there. i wish i could help you guys. >> what you're saying makes no sense. is that an option for us at this point to hold the baby so we can take off? or are they saying no? ask them. we are getting kicked off this plane? >> i told you that at the beginning. [ inaudible ]. >> i got two infants, i have nowhere to stay. there's no more flights. what are we supposed to do, sleep in the airport? what are we supposed to do once we're off this plane? >> that is not up to me. >> it should be. >> it's not. at this point you guys are on your own. >> the things my kids have to have are in those bags. >> we will get all your bags off, sir. >> unbelievable. you guys are unbelievable. great customer service.
12:38 pm
awesome. great job. >> well, delta says its quote goal is to always work with customers. they plan to reimburse the family's tickets plus additional compensation. our next guest believes airlines should do more to inform passengers of their rights. nice to have you on. you know, it's important to get into the details of this story. give me a fact-check because apparently, number one, this delta official is heard telling that it is federal policy whoever occupies the seat on the plane, it has to be the name of the person issued on that ticket. is that true? >> in this day and age we call those alternative facts. >> let's not even go there. >> it's wrong. there's no federal rule that says you have to have your name on the seat. if you had any rule like that,
12:39 pm
southwest airlines would never be able to take off. it's sort of ridiculous. >> there was also at issue whether they could put the child in his car seat. apparently he was saying the child could only sleep in the car seat. delta was saying they have rules based upon age and buying seats. can you explain that to me? >> they may have rules. however, i have never heard of an airline refusing to put anybody into a car seat. i'm not sure what delta was trying to do at the time. i think someone was just trying to get the child out of the seat and they really didn't have anything else to go on so they make up their rules. that's what consumers are faced with an awful lot. this is why there should be better notification of what the rules really are so consumers know what the heck's going on. >> yes. but isn't also part of this issue, we talked about this with that crazy united dragging dr. dao off the plane story, that was united, but flights being
12:40 pm
overbooked and listen, i fly delta a lot. i feel like they are pretty good at giving folks quite a bit of money to change flights or to be bumped for someone else. is that just -- is that not working? what's happening here? >> in this case it's not working. the guy paid for the seat. he had his infant son and should be able to sit the person there. he was told by the gate agent evidently he could take his child on and do that. he was going along that way. now we have a crew member who has come up with her own set of rules. so we don't really know what the rules are but we do know for sure it is not a federal regulation. and it is not anything that the u.s. government is involved with. this is totally on delta. it's delta customer service and it's a delta flight attendant making those rules. >> okay. amazing. everyone with their cell phones now. charlie, appreciate you. thank you so much. lot of people flying, as we are heading into the summer season. people do need to know their
12:41 pm
rights. thank you, charlie. >> thanks for having me. coming up next, the first woman to ever serve as chief usher at the white house, no longer on the job. what we are hearing from insiders about the staff shakeup. ♪ ♪ ♪ i'm dr. kelsey mcneely and some day you might be calling me an energy farmer. ♪ energy lives here. why pause a spontaneous moment? cialis for daily use treats ed and the urinary symptoms of bph. tell your doctor about your medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas® for pulmonary hypertension, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess.
12:42 pm
to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have a sudden decrease or loss of hearing or vision, or an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis. my insurance rates are but dad, you've got... ...allstate. with accident forgiveness they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. indeed. it's good to be in, good hands.
12:43 pm
12:44 pm
12:45 pm
a member of the white house staff has moved on and this particular employee made history when she was hired in 2011. the white house confirms chief usher angela reed no longer works for the trump administration. she was the first woman and she was the second african-american to hold this chief usher position. she was actually featured in the cnn documentary called "the end, inside the last days of the obama white house." >> the staff in the executive residence, they are not political. we are part of a long-standing institution so a lot of them have had experience in working for upwards of seven administrations. what i think about most when i walk around the house is who has been here, who has done what in this particular space, because
12:46 pm
you know, there's something that i am able to walk here now when 100 years ago, a president or first lady did or other guests did or some of my ancestors did, it gives me a sense of awe. the fact that slaves built this house and i now work in this house as a leader. something out of my wildest dreams. >> as chief usher, she managed the residence and the staff. the white house today in the daily briefing was asked a question about this and said that they wish her well. >> she is no longer employed here at the white house, but we left on very good terms and wish her the very best, and certainly hope for great things for her in the future. however, it's not uncommon that you might have a transition of staff when a new administration comes in and it's simply nothing more than that, and we certainly wish her again the very best. >> with me now, kate anderson
12:47 pm
brower, author of "first women, the grace and power of america's modern first ladies." kate, was this a surprise to you? hearing her speak about the white house, it seemed like she was full of gratitude for having this precious job. what do you think of this? >> well, i have been waiting for something like this to happen for awhile, because she was an obama loyalist. they did bring her in. some resident staffers i have interviewed said she could be difficult to work for but overall, it's kind of sad to see because it shows how this job is getting politicized. the chief usher at the white house, the resident staff, it used to be a joke among the staffers, they stay and presidents and first ladies come and go. now we are seeing where a chief usher who is hired by one administration is let go by another. that happened with stephen rochand who was hired by the bushes and let go by the obamas. this is another example of how partisan washington is becoming.
12:48 pm
>> so she was let go. that is what happened? i wasn't entirely sure. >> well, the understanding is that that's what happened. in these kind of positions you serve at the will of the president, the pleasure of the president and you are asked to resign. we don't know for sure because she hasn't talked to anyone definitively about that. in the past instances like this, this is how it's gone down. >> sarah huckabee sanders said she left on good terms, they wish her the best and it's not uncommon for transition staff to your point in a new administration, we know basic staff, i have this note basic staff stays on average of 25 years. where does one go next after being chief usher at the white house? >> i mean, a lot of these people like the head chef, the former head florist, they go on and write books or have speaking engagements. you can go down that route. this has happened before. when chris emory spoke with barbara bush and the clintons
12:49 pm
found out, they fired him. there is a sense of loyalty they expect from you. if they hear you say anything which i have heard that she said about whether she could work for a republican, she wasn't sure if she could do that, when that comes up, it really bothers a sitting president and first lady. i think you can kind of understand that but it looks bad. she's the first woman to hold the job and so you have to think hopefully they will replace her with somebody who is equally ground-breaking and interesting. she has great experience. she worked in the ritz-carlton but she was polarizing among some staffers. >> do you think they bring in someone from the trump administration or from the trump property? >> i mean, they certainly have a big roster of people to choose from, from their hotels. it would make sense for them to pull from people they already know and who have hospitality kind of experience. it's a very powerful, important job, though. it's not just about managing the residen residence. it's much more than that. and it's political now. >> thank you very much. >> thank you.
12:50 pm
on to this. the federal investigation okay. >> the allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination and retaliation against former boss roger ailes and former host bill o'reilly cost them their jobs and now the accusers are trying to make an impact on network's finances. current ceo rupert murdoch is trying to buy sky, a satellite tv giant in the uk, and lawyers for women have accused fox news of harassment and discrimination will travel to britain next week to try to persuade regulators to block that acquisition, so joining me now cnn senior media and politics reporter dylan byers. could these scandals cost murdoch that mega sky deal. >> yeah? >> they absolutely could. no ge about it. if you're murdoch it feels like the walls are closing in, and they are clothing in on both sides of the atlantic. in new york there's the federal investigation into how fox news handled some of the settlements that were paid out to women who
12:51 pm
had accused roger ailes of sexual harassment, and then, of course, on the other side of the pond in the uk you have this office of communications which is another sort of federal review, if you will, looking into whether or not the murdochs are fit and proper to be owners of sky. right now the murdochs own 39% of sky. what they are going after is the other 61%. i would put this at top of their list of goals right now. it's the single most important media deal they are chasing. the idea that what happened at fox news over the course of the last year could get in the way of that and indeed it could must make them feel terrible. in fact, they were trying to get this deal back in 2011 and the phone hacking scandal that took place at one of their uk properties got in the way of it then, so, yeah, the fox news controversies we've all been covering for last year could very much get in the way of their broader ambitions
12:52 pm
>> you mentioned the federal investigation. we know that president trump and rupert murdoch have had a long-standing friendship. we just saw murdoch at trump's event here in new york and saying money donated at murdoch's request was, quote, money swell spent. does their relationship at all complicate the doj investigation? >> it does and to say it's a friendship is almost understated. what we know as our reporting confirms is that the president and rupert murdoch talk on an almost daily basis, and when they talk rupert murdoch very often offers advice to the president of the united states. the idea that the same man whose company is being investigated by the doj has the ear of the president, is giving vision to the president, is clearly friends with the president, is extremely problematic and i'll say very quickly, i've been speaking to some lawyers today is they told me this is going to be a very big test for attorney general jeff sessions. >> yeah. thank you.
12:53 pm
>> thank you. coming up next here hon cnn, house republicans may have passed a health care bill, but it still has a long way to go before it gets to the desk of the president. a democratic senator joins us live to talk about the battle about to play out in the senate. if you have moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis like me, and you're talking to your rheumatologist about a medication... ...this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain... ...and protect my joints from further damage. humira has been clinically studied for over 18 years. humira works by targeting and helping to... ...block a specific source... ...of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain and... ...stop further joint damage in many adults. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas... ...where certain fungal infections are common and if you've had tb,
12:54 pm
hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flulike symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. talk to your doctor and visit humira.com this is humira at work. a cockroach can survive heresubmerged ttle guy. underwater for 30 minutes. wow. yeah. not getting in today. terminix. defenders of home.
12:55 pm
12:56 pm
fmy doctor recommended ibgard. abdominal pain and bloating. now i'm in control of my ibs. nonprescription ibgard - calms the angry gut.
12:57 pm
you're not taking these. hey, hey, hey! you're not taking those. whoa, whoa! you're not taking that. come with me. you're not taking that. you're not taking that. you're not taking that. mom, i'm taking the subaru. don't be late. even when we're not there to keep them safe, our subaru outback will be. (vo) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. he's just out of college but the cnn hero is already making a huge difference in the lives of cambodian children and all it takes is a simple bar of soap. . >> when children do not wash their hands they are vulnerable to illnesses which,
12:58 pm
unfortunately, can take their life. no child should suffer because there wasn't any soap available. my vision for cambodia's youth is to understand that they can take their own health into their own hands. >> very good, very good. >> just by a simple act such as and-washing. >> is that what it is? >> to see his full store ge to cnnheros.com. ten years ago this week madeline mccann vanished while on family vacation in portugal days before her fourth birthday and one decade later millions of dollars have been spent on search-and-rescue efforts and still no sign of this little girl. cnn's randi kaye covered this story when it first broke sand now back and more on the parents sadly waiting for answers.
12:59 pm
>> there are two witnesses who say independent of one another that they saw what they described as a very ugly pock-mocked or spotty-skinned man watching apartment 5a. >> another witness reported having seen suspicious man on a balcony near the mccann's apartment just hours before madeleine disappeared. >> meanwhile an upstairs neighbor saw another man acting very suspiciously in the little pathway between the pool garden and apartment 5a. >>. >> reporter: and there was more. british police released a sketch of one of the men they say had approached nearby apartments asking residents for donations to a local orphanage. there was no such orphanage so clearly these men were involved in some kind of a crime, possibly just burglary. but possibly something else.
1:00 pm
>> watch the report tonight, "missing madeleine mccann," 10:00 eastern here on cnn. i'm brooke baldwin here in new york. thanks so much for being with me on this friday afternoon, but stay right here. "the lead" with jake tapper starts right now. thanks, brooke. it is cinco de mayo today which means one year ago this happened. "the lead" starts right now. replacing the plan to repeal and replace. senate now taking a crack of its own version of trump care and maybe this time we'll get to find out what it costs. it's not as if the north korean government is known for adhering to facts. in 2012 they claimed they had discovered a unicorn layer. that's true. look it up, but how wild is their new claim that the cia infiltrated the country to kill kim jong-un. >> literally trampling free speech. an armored plowing over a crowd of people as deadly protests are reaching a new level