Skip to main content

tv   The History of Comedy  CNN  July 30, 2017 1:00am-2:00am PDT

1:00 am
to understand humanity is to understand the sweet, lovely, wonderful foolishness of the human condition. >> the best comedy comes from your living experience. >> every comic sees the world through a prism that the average person doesn't see through. >> all we do is point out the obvious really and then twist it somewhere. >> i just can't believe the way people are, what is it with humanity, what kind of world do we live in? >> you're not alone ultimately. that's what comic is saying. >> reality is fodder for comedy. that's what we have, where else can we find comedy if not in real life.
1:01 am
>> as opposed to what? fake life? life is real, yeah. we got that. ♪ ♪ first a philosophical question. have you ever noticed when you're driving that anyone who is driving slower than you is an idiot? and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac! >> you see a million things a day in your life and they all go
1:02 am
on the back burner of your six burner wolf ridiculously priced mind. a comedian brings it to the front burner. >> i don't like other people's showers, always a temperature adjustment and a hair stuck on the wall. want to get rid of it but don't want to touch it. i don't know how it got up that high in the first place. >> real life is funny because reality is relatable. period. if watching something relatable, make them laugh. go that happened to me too. >> remember as kid go on vacation, why is dad always in a bad mood? now i understand. >> no. >> is this grandma? >> yeah she's still alive. >> why is the family a good place to look for humor? was that it? where else is it? >> maybe you should ask santa for a new family. >> i don't want a new family or any family. families suck.
1:03 am
>> ever notice where you trip on something walking and go what was that? that was your family. they've put their foot out and you don't get so ahead of yourself. anybody got motrs tt would hit you with a shoe? i had a mother throw a shoe at you at drop of a dime and [ bleep ] you up wherever she was aiming. >> i don't want to give you wrong impression of my dad. he never hit us. carried a gun. he never shot us. just -- >> when i started, i just did fat jokes. didn't know other families had that insanity that i grew up with. >> mom told me to tell you today, you're adopted. you're ruining this whole family. >> that's why we laugh. that's why the family sitcom always prevailed.
1:04 am
>> i could just crawl into a hole and die. >> second hole she's crawled into today. >> in the '50s get sitcoms not trying to be that funny. >> nobody can make pancakes like mom. >> nobody eat them like. >> presented by soap sellers, who wanted their product to be nice with no sharp edges. couldn't be that daring. >> white bread portrayals of family were what the public wanted to see at that time but in the '70s, all that changed. ♪ and you knew who you were then >> comedy comes out of transgression.er side of the nur family. >> you realize how many boring things i do every day that dri me crazy? i got to get up, brush my teeth, shave. i hate to shave. mornings i stand there debating with the mirror, should i shave or cut my throat.
1:05 am
but i always shave. >> too bad you always lose that argument. >> what was it about "all in the family" that was so different? >> i wasn't aware it was different. writing out of my own experience. i grew up with father like archie who insisted i was laziest white kid he ever met. >> you're a meathead. >> what? >> meathead, dead from the neck up. meathead. >> norman lear blows lid off what a family sitcom is. >> we were writing about what we knew, what was happening in our families, up the street, down the street, across from each other. that's how we got to real problems. >> we got to have a brother-to-brother talk about to put it delicately, about the birds and the bees. >> i have to study right now. i'll teach you about sex some other time okay?
1:06 am
>> norman lear gave you "all in the family," "good times," "the jeffersons." he gave different looks at niched versions of the american family in different segments of this country. >> mixed up families. >> what do you mean? >> zebra city. he's white, she's black, kids are medium rare. >> it was basically all flawed characters but that was what was good about it. people relate to the fact these were not perfect human beings. far from it. >> draw a line right there, that's where it started to change and paved way for everything that came after. >> i'm going to get married when i'm 23. >> 23. >> and have a husband named bud. >> husband named bud? bud what? >> bud huxtable. >> "the cosby show" in the '80s
1:07 am
normalized the black experience in a way that was super important. felt more like my family than the myth of the black family. >> how are you going to get into college with grades like this? >> no problem. >> huh? >> i'm not going to college. >> damn right. >> "cosby show," "family ties," the seavers, saying we're all basically the same. >> more conservative era, you had upper middle class households that aren't worried about money and balancing careers and kids and in comes "roseanne." >> what do you want me to do? throw myself off a bridge? >> yeah. and take your brother and sister with you. >> are you ever sorry we got married? >> every second of my life. >> used to slickness in the sitcoms but "roseanne" got rid of that. mostly because she was never that kind of performer. let it all hang out.
1:08 am
>> being totally unfair just because i don't want to eat your stinking beans. >> wrong. i'm being totally unfair because that's my job. sit down and have a nice dinner with your family. >> i hate you! >> hey! >> i say disown her. >> i wanted to do a show about real people that wasn't about honey bathroom wall needs cleaning. i wanted to do a show of the joy and horror of life. >> every person from a family recognizes all that stuff. human beings are a huge pain in the ass. how any of them get along with any others of them -- they really don't actually. >> i don't know what to do. metimes i just want to smack you. >> y're uck with your family. nothing you can do about them. you put up with stuff from your family you wouldn't from anyone else. >> what do you mean you don't eat no meat? oh, that's okay.
1:09 am
i make lamb, come. >> anything you find horrifying as kid, write it down, when you're older you can make money off it. >> you used to scream all night, we didn't feed you, you turned out fine. >> i didn't turn out fine. i'm a fat comedian with ocd, get up in front of strangers and talk about my [ bleep ], this is talk about my [ bleep ], this is not good parenting. ship packages, all the services of the post office right on your computer. get a 4 week trial, plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale.
1:10 am
go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
1:11 am
1:12 am
feel like i was just here a minute ago. >> i know what you mean but you'll get used to it. everybody does eventually.
1:13 am
>> the workplace is something we all have to endure in some way or another. >> i got to get out of here. i think i'm going to lose it. >> uh-oh, sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays. >> you can go to work on tv show, in insurance office, still have a boss, pain in the ass worker, somebody you're maybe attracted to that you have to deal with. human experience that transcends all generations. >> comedy is about an imbalance in power. everybody who has ever had a job realizes it's a power imbalance the minute they get there. >> i'm the new vice president of east coast television and microwave oven programming. >> sounds like you program microwave ovens. >> i like you, you have the boldness of much younger woman. >> you go to work and boss is [ bleep ], if you write a joke about him and everyone laughs at him -- >> is that decaf? >> no regular. >> -- suddenly you go from being his victim to captor.
1:14 am
the joke is refiguring the scales of justice. >> when you were dismissing some of the sff, did you intend to fire me too? especially me? i'm very sorry i troubled you. you little runt! >> early sitcoms just about home life. i used to make the joke all the time in "ozzy and harriet" what did he do for living? and van dyke the first time saw home life and work life. >> is this the comedy spot? >> no this. >> rob. >> buddy. >> sally. >> mel. >> rob. >> sally. >> buddy. >> it's your turn. say rob. >> wonderful. >> somebody asked me to do a situation comedy after i
1:15 am
finished being on the show of shows because situation comedies weren't very good, didn't mirror life. i asked myself what piece of ground do i stand on that nobody else stands on? worked as writer/director on variety show and write about what happens at home and home i talk about what goes on at office. >> are you doing this because you're afraid of alan? >> no because i respect alan brady, a man of his caliber has great firing power. >> it's a hybrid of family life, work life, cared about them as family because you saw them together every day. they were a family. >> hi everybody. >> norm! >> hey mr. peterson, caller waiting for you. >> if she calls, i'm not here. >> on tv family transcends blood. we recognize that family system and family dynamic, even if it's not biological.
1:16 am
>> sure things didn't go your way and we're a little disappointed but we'll get over it. what is important here is you tried to do the wrong thing. >> that's right. i did didn't i? >> sammy, sammy. >> archetypes in the bar, office, workplace, taxi company. they're there because they're real, honest and true and we all recognize them. >> i don't deserve this, god damn it, i don't but you do. because you are all losers. every mother [ bleep ] one of you, loser. loser! >> the worst word you can hear when you're trying to make a comedy is likeable. from the suits. it's not believable if everybody is likeable. we're not. >> what happened to old idea of doing something for your fellow man? of service. i mean today people just -- >> mr. fawlty. >> i'm coming! wait a moment. >> there's no comedy in likeable. i always go to louie depalma played by danny devito. >> sunshine cab.
1:17 am
crazy lady, give me a break here. it's ma. >> this was a troll. mean. said the worst things. was he likeable? no. loveable? yes. why? he's really funny. >> this guy does the best addy g. impersonation. do it. go on. >> i don't. >> oh, sorry, it's not you. it's the other one. >> the other what? paki? >> that's racist. >> i think the thing that made "the office" successful with ricky gervais was the realism more relationship oriented and commented on the mundaneness of situations we find ourselves in. >> if i have to work with him another day i will slit my throat. >> not like that though. get the knife in behind the windpipe, put it down like that.
1:18 am
>> i could just apply for another job. >> jokes or stories or emotion isn't from the work but the people who work together. >> where to first? >> your mother's butt. >> all you need to relate is the human connection, the believability. that these people live together, know each other, love each other, and it's that love underneath that allows for all kinds of behavior. [ raspberry sound ] >> i can't argue with this.
1:19 am
i wanti did my ancestrydna and where i came from. and i couldn't wait to get my pie chart. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american.
1:20 am
i had no idea. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know more about my native american heritage. it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com.
1:21 am
who knew that phones would starentertaining us,ng? getting us back on track and finding us dates. phones really have changed. so why hasn't the way we pay for them? introducing xfinity mobile. you only pay for data and can easily switch between pay per gig and unlimited. no one else lets you do that. see how much you can save when you choose by the gig or unlimited. call or go to xfinitymobile.com.
1:22 am
xfinity mobile. it's a new kind of network, designed to save you money. puberty usually begins between the ages of 11 and 14 when profound hormonal changes occur. onset is function of the small gland called pituitary, sends chemical signals throughout the body, most notably resulting in height increase and hair growth in the genital area. hey, knock it off. you think this is funny? just try me. >> people love coming of age comedy because it's innocence to not innocence. you know. >> obstacles to growing up, maturing, always really hilarious because most of the
1:23 am
time things do not go well. don't know how to deal with the emotions of it, physical aspects of it, it's just going to be very embarrassing. >> she's gotten her boobies. >> i better get my magnifying glass. >> when i was in high school and mother said to me someday you'll look back on all this and laugh, didn't realize would take 20 years but ultimately she was right. >> my two front teeth didn't fall out until i was in fifth grade, which is late. and that same week, i got my period. which is early. >> any stage of life, if you tell the story honestly, it can be funny. that's what people connect with. everybody's been 12 years old, knows what that feels like. >> were you typical? >> i was typical of i guess a
1:24 am
young budding future pervert. >> sitting around when you was young men sitting in class and your [ bleep ] get hard for nothing? just sitting there and [ bleep ] say hey, what's going on in there? that's when the teacher says want to come work out this problem on the board? >> just trying to figure out how to be humans and body is changing and you're become aware of how it's changing and sex is just this crazy mysterious thing. >> well we'll just tell your mother that we ate it all. >> let's face it, all the unpleasant subjects, one way of dealing with them is humor. >> i can't believe this, they [ bleep ] forgot my birthday. >> john hughes captured many different eras of life but one of the great storytellers about being a high school student. >> he took his teenage characters incredibly seriously.
1:25 am
all of them. >> i loathe the bus. >> "16 candles" was a revelation as kid because i thought oh, i'm anthony michael hall. that's who i am. >> all right. i knew you'd come around. >> epitomizes what it's like to be 15, 14, a freshman, anxious to be at senior parties, with >> that guy who is normally made fun of in other movies is a hero in this movie. farmer ted is, could argue, the leader of that flick for a lot of us. >> very nice. we're five minutes in -- i'm at a loss. >> prior to john hughes, most of the comedies weren't aimed at us. teenagers in the movies were olivia newton john and john travolta. these kids looked like my parents. like he woke up one day, entirely underserved audience
1:26 am
here, make movies for them on their level, the way they talk. using actors that look their age. >> i think one of the mistakes commonly made in hollywood teenage pictures is their just going for bucks and not heart. >> i think he's honest and doesn't try to show us for something we're not. >> took the simplest of canvasses and ones we were all familiar with. >> bueller? >> growing up. >> bueller? >> staying home from school, all the stuff we tried to pull off. >> life moves pretty fast. you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. >> john obsessed with the middle american outlook on life. no clearer expression of john's affection for what is a flawed society but he loves it. >> that's it. i'm going to be outside those doors. next time i have to come in here, i'm cracking skulls.
1:27 am
>> celebrated the normalcy in all of us. made it bigger. made detention an event. made oddballs okay. >> all pretty bizarre, just some of us better at hiding it, that's all. >> oh, god. >> because hughes cracked the code with the teen audience, others that followed realized you don't have to talk down to them, talk up to them or at their level. >> man, i hate high school. >> on "freaks and geeks" what was important for everybody was it was realistic. >> oh, my god. >> come on guys. >> somebody please tell me what is supposed to be fun about this? >> paul feig wrote characters that were more authentic. he really more than anyone else to me understands really what it was like and hasn't forgotten what it was like to feel like an outcast. >> homo. >> homo. >> hey, hey, if sam wearing something different to express his individuality makes him a homo, well then, i guess we should all be proud to be homos.
1:28 am
you go ahead sam. >> paul had this idea he wanted to see a high school show about the kids no one ever talked about. >> you're dead, weir. >> that was different for network television. seemed bizarre to them. why do they fail all the time? because you fail all the time. it's that simple. >> we live on the same floor. if you live on this floor. i don't know where you live. at. >> what i love about judd apatow, he took the smartness of the john hughes but let the kids be less articulate about it. they're a little more lost, not quite as sure of themselves. >> not fair they flaunt that stuff and i have to hide every erection. imagine if girls were not weirded out by our boners and wanted to see them. that's the world i someday want to live in.
1:29 am
>> no matter how much we try to add new viewpoints to it, still the same people reacting to the same change and something really startling about that. >> boop. boop. >> if you get to the heart of it beyond the funny and find out a living breathing heart there you can identify with, you've got the audience. >> i love you. >> i love you.
1:30 am
1:31 am
1:32 am
1:33 am
women know what men want, men know what men want. what do we want? we want women. that's it. it's the only thing we know for sure. it really is. we want women. how do we get them? oh, we don't know about that. >> the reason relationships are fertile area foromedy because what do you look for in life anything more than love exceptaybe mey? and money's so not funny. >> how many women's purses are about five pounds heavier in case you have to sleep elsewhere tonight? you guys may think we're spontaneous but women have to pack for these events. >> in a relationship or dating for a couple of days, recognize the ridiculousness of the situation. we go through an awful lot just to get naked with people.
1:34 am
>> only time i get hit on is last call at bar. weird time of night right? lights go on, feels rapey all of a sudden. some dude in full blackout walking at me like a zombie, pointing at his own [ bleep ], here. i'm like, i'll get us a cab. >> romance is a great source for comedy because everybody wants it. and also romance gives people instant vulnerability, stakes are really high, and whenever the stakes are really high, funny [ bleep ] is going to happen. >> did you want to see some brochures? >> this is so awkward, i really want you to leave but don't know how to say it without sounding like a [ bleep ]. >> oh. >> the idea that human beings couple up for good, it's ridiculous. >> imagine if marriage didn't exist, you're a guy and ask
1:35 am
woman to get married. you'd be like, hey, you know, we've been hanging out, spending time together, everything. i know. i want to keep doing that until you're dead. >> doesn't really make sense. because of that, it's rife with comedy. >> it takes courage to go on a for both sides. two very different kinds of urag male courage, speaking traditionally, he decided to ask. went up to a random woman, no idea if she likes him or not, walk up, terrified. everything in your body saying go home, [ bleep ] off, don't do this. >> hilarious subject because it's awkward and makes you feel great or makes you feel terrible. >> are you breaking up with me? >> you know, i can't believe i even thought of getting back together with you. we are so over. >> fine by me. >> if i had a terrible breakup, i would just wail about the breakup and because it was so real and honest, it relates to people. >> it's actually really comforting to realize that something that's truly troubling in your life could be great
1:36 am
fodder for comedy. >> those were the days when people knew how to be in love. >> you're a basket case. >> they knew it. time and distance, nothing could separate them because they knew it was right, it was real, it was -- >> a movie. that's your problem, you don't want to be in love, you want to be in love in a movie. >> we have a love/hate relationship with romantic comedies because sets ideal you can never reach. but love is so relatable, you empathize with one of the people and feel like you're falling in love. >> did you put that breakfast burrito on my desk? >> i felt like you might be hungry. >> that's why i love you. >> i love you too. oh, yeah, you're right. i needed that. >> cliche is boy meets girl, gets girl, loses girl, gets girl back. no new stories, just what is your take on the old story. >> let's face it, i don't think
1:37 am
our retionship is working. >> i know. a relationship i think is like a shark. it has to constantly move forward or it dies. i think what we have on our hands is a dead shark. >> "annie hall" was a game changer. woody wanted to do a real film about real people where you care about the characters and be somewhat emotionally invested. >> call this quits. >> that's fine. that's great. i don't know what i did wrong. i can't believe this. somewhere she cooled off to me. something i did? >> it's not something you did, it's who people are. love fades. >> that's depressing thought. >> there's no happy ending with a neat bow tie at the end. but ironically "annie hall" became one of the funniest movies ever. changed so much about the way people thought of romantic comedies. >> one of the summer's surprise hit movies stars billy crystal
1:38 am
and meg ryan, called "when harry met sally". >> men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. >> that's not true, i have a number of men friends with no sex involved. >> no, you don't. >> yes, i do. >> no, you don't. >> yes, i do. >> you only think you do. >> saying i'm having sex with them without my knowledge? >> no i'm saying they all want to have sex with you. >> nora ephron wrote "when harry met sally," got a lot of help from reiner creating neurotic main character. that's because he was based on rob reiner. >> it was extension of what i had been through as a single person. married for ten years and then single for ten years, experiences i had trying to get with women and confusion of can you be friends with a woman and if you have sex, does it ruin the friendship? >> why can't we get past this? are we going to carry this thing around forever? >> it just happened. >> it happened three weeks ago. you know how year to person is
1:39 am
like seven years to a dog? >> yes? is one of us supposed to ba dog this scenio? >> rob reiner's collaboration with nora ephron, very much both worked together for equal female and male perspective. >> there are a lot of desperate women out there looking for love. especially over a certain age. >> you know it's easier to get killed by a terrorist than get married over the age of 40? >> that's not true. that statistic is not true. >> that's right. that statistic is not true. but it feels true. >> even a romantic comedy where you know what's going to happen, still something satisfying about it. i don't know why. still something that works. that's why they use the formula over and over. >> love is the bottom line. so many billions of ways to be with somebody, it's never finished. relationship material is never finished. >> frankly wish i had someone i could care about and hold. but don't have that person so
1:40 am
i'm just going to [ bleep ] off and go to bed.
1:41 am
1:42 am
1:43 am
you won't see these folks they have businesses to run. they have passions to pursue. how do they avoid trips to the post office? stamps.com mail letters, ship packages, all the services of the post office right on your computer. get a 4 week trial, plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again. aren't people stupid? not us. it's the others.
1:44 am
ever notice -- >> have you noticed -- >> what is it with -- >> why are hemorrhoids called hemorrhoids and asteroids called asteroids? wouldn't it make more sense the other way around? if that was true, wouldn't be proctologist but astronaut. >> so many things distasteful in life and stupid and rules that everybody has to follow. it's tedious. so they deserve lampooning. >> this is an awful morning. i get up this morning and put maxi pad on adhesive side up. come on, you've done it. >> there is so much comedy in the little details of life. it's just taking a magnifying glass and throwing it out to the audience. >> that's sort of my job, to think about stuff that a lot of us are too busy for most of the time. little things that occur to us, we have universal ground. did you ever belch and almost
1:45 am
puke? >> we think that we're alone and comedian steps ostage, says have you ever noticed -- kaboom, it explodes. and in that moment we all connect. amazing charge. adrenaline rush to connect on that kind of level. >> we have to fight these battles. we're all alone in the bathroom. alone. whatever goes wrong, you have to handle it. ever flush a toilet in big party and water starts coming up? most frightening moment in the life of a human being. >> it's illumination on something right in front of you. it's right there but they bring it up, it's the way they shine the light on it. >> what in god's name are we doing? >> what? >> what kind of lives are these? we're like children, not men. >> no, we're not. we're not men. >> we're pathetic. do you know that? >> like i don't know that i'm pathetic. >> "seinfeld," initially called it show about nothing. obviously not about nothing but that's what they called it.
1:46 am
initial idea was larry david and jerry had idea of two guys hanging out and talking about stuff. >> marcy comes over and tells me ex-boyfriend was over late last night and yadda yadda yadda i'm really tired today. >> what do you think she was tired from? >> obviously the yadda yadda. >> larry david and jerry seinfeld, those two minds together, comedy dynamite. >> what do you think did it? can you take a step back, say this made this show? >> i think the style of the writing was fresh and the strength of the cast. the cast is very, very strong. and the writing had a different sounto it. the conversations sounded different than the otheritcoms that you see. >> so you think you're spongeworthy? >> i think i'm very spongeworthy. >> i'm out there, jerry, and loving every minute of it. >> the ideas were seemingly
1:47 am
insignificant where the comedy came from. usually small quirky idiotic things. >> larry always carried this little note pad in his pocket. whenever something happened he thought would make a good idea, write it down and eventually wind up in a show. >> you mean shrinkage? >> yes, significant shrinkage. >> it's a little thing i might notice that i could expound on. expound on or expand on? expand on. both. both. expound and expand. yeah. >> i got it. >> no, i'd like to pay for mine. >> julie, don't insult me. what difference does it make who pays for lunch? it's totally meaningless. >> thanks, george. >> here's your big salad to go. >> thank you. >> i remember i was editing an episode with larry and we took a break for dinner and he turned to the editor, carol and i going to get a bite, would you like something? yeah. bring me back a big salad. we got back to editing and i
1:48 am
gave it to janet. >> thank you, julie. >> you're very welcome. >> and two months later an episode written called "the big salad." >> she just took credit for my salad. that's right not. >> no, it isn't. >> i mean, i'm the one that bought it. >> you sure did. >> don't you think she should have said something? >> i wonder where that came from, oh, right, me. perfect. >> lot of larry's humor is based on the difficulty of just being out in the world and everything is land mine waiting for you to step on it. >> mind your own business, how about that? >> we all think that [ bleep ] but larry just points it out. it's great. >> it's just material. >> i know but really, look at thespants. >> i've seen pants bunch up before. >> never seen a bunchup like this in my life. it's like a five inch bunchup here. >> "curb your enthusiasm" is brilliant, larry took the essence of himself, of larry
1:49 am
david, it's not exactly larry but close, and when you get close to the bone, audience can somehow feel that's real. >> get me off the speaker phone please. >> you're off. >> what's the matter with you, i thought i was having a private conversation? didn't know anybody else was in your car. >> i think with "curb" larry gets to be the full completion of himself. >> the person i would like to be, but social mores prevent me from being that way all the time. >> hey, what the hell are you doing? >> what the [ bleep ] are you doing? >> what are you doing? >> we decided we should walk this line where people watching wouldn't be certain if it was really a documentary or embellished but play it as close to real as possible. and sure enough there were
1:50 am
people who thought it was real. >> you walk through my door play by my rules, take off your [ bleep ] shoes. >> my feet have a tendency to get a little chilly. >> he's psychotic. get him out of the house. get out! >> i had no idea until the show was on the air that anybody would ever have to leave the room because they couldn't bear to watch the scene because cringing about what was about to take place. i kind of liked it. >> thank you for fixing judy's hair. >> you're welcome. >> mommy, mommy, that bald man is ithe bathroomnd there's something hard in his pants. something hard in his pants. >> let's get him. that's a good , but it doesn't cover everything. only about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans,
1:51 am
they pick up some of what medicare doesn't pay and could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. call today to request a free decision guide to help you better understand what medicare is all about and which aarp medicare supplement plan works best for you. with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. plus, there are no networks, and virtually no referrals needed. there's a range of plans to choose from, too, and they all travel with you anywhere in the country. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations... and provided by unitedhealthcare insurance company, which has over 30 years of experience behind it. ♪ call today. remember, medicare supplement insurance
1:52 am
helps cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. expenses that could really add up. these kinds of plans coulsave you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you'll be able to choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. and there are virtually no referrals needed. so don't wait. with all the good years ahead, look for the experience and commitment to go the distance with you. call now to request your free decision guide. this easy-to-understand guide will answer some of your questions and help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan that's right for you.
1:53 am
1:54 am
usually such a shame to just dump this in the trash. maybe birds would like to make nests with it or maybe you boys can use it for school projects. arms up. >> people love family comedies. >> dude. >> and now it seems like the family comedies they want are how strange can this family possibly be. >> and i'm expected to climb back on top of kitty and do my thing again. this family runs into problems and oh, let's have gob [ bleep ] our way out of it. >> what's the matter with you? >> there's a lot more variety in families represented on television today because it's
1:55 am
represented in real life. >> who? >> he's our son. >> and our grandson. >> i'm his daughter. >> and you're? >> his uncle. >> i have to believe that for kids of today, seeing that families come in all kinds of permutations has got to be great. >> what's that? >> had andre do it. we're floating above her, always protecting her. >> don't worry, lily, you were torn from everything you know. things are normal here, your fathers are floating fairies. >> shows like "modern family" or "will & grace" before that, really sped up the conversation about gay marriage and tolerance. >> works at coffee shop and his name is paul. cute with capital q. >> seeing people you don't normally see, makes you realize you should love them as much as you love anybody else. >> that's the finger. work in progress. >> trying to say my family is different than yours, but if you look close enough, you might see
1:56 am
things your family is too. >> hey, why don't the boys go with you? not you, you're too precious to me. >> junior is the bad black person who needs educating. after we get home, be bona fide black panther. >> actually dr. king had problems with the black panthers. >> do you know who back panthers had a problem with? >> i think television has a history of helping us figure out how to deal with difficult discussions or changes in our time. >> can we just close up shop a little bit. your knees? male privilege is leaking all over the place. >> fearlessness of comedians bringing up subject matter we're afraid to talk about is wonderful conduit to starting a conversation. >> get yourself up and -- >> i don't want to freak you out but i think i may be the voice of my generation. or at least a voice. of a generation.
1:57 am
>> there's a number of amazingly great unique voiced shows on tv right now. standing apart from the wave of stuff that's being thrown at us all the time. >> the guy said this was their best selling thing, by far. i'm just trying to improve our sex lives. >> here's an idea, how about you stop rubbing your eye every time you shove your junk in me. >>hat? >> yeah. u're alws like -- it's distracting. >> now we're in this weird world where there's demand that people take chances. no one wants generic stuff anymore. >> i like mama's better because she makes good food. and i love her more so i like being there more. >> okay. all right, baby. >> louis c.k. tapped into things most people don't tap into. he's able to take that sensibility he uses so effectively on stage and find a form to dramatize it.
1:58 am
>> put on your pjs, okay baby. >> more realistic comedy gets, the more drama is in them. because real life not just drama all the time or just funny all the time. >> why do you say such hurtful things? >> only way to get your attention. that's why i have a rage problem. >> stop, all of you. can i talk? is it my turn, waited 45 years to talk. screwed up my life. lost the best [ bleep ] job i could find. i'm doomed. look at all of you, it's all your fault. you're all disasters, i don't want to be in this family anymore. >> wah, wah, wah, what a baby. >> what is great about comedy, comedy can't exist unless it's true. you don't laugh unless you know there's inherent truth to it. >> i keep forgetting what a freak show this family is until somebody comes in and looks at us like that. >> we all are human and fallible and crazy and have foibles and
1:59 am
all in it together. >> nothing more interesting than the foolishness of the human condition. it takes the comedian to find the moment that helps people laugh at themselves. >> if you're lucky in life you will have seen it, done it, eaten it, [ bleep ] it, all of it. and now you can relive it through storytelling and somebody's point of view all over again. >> life is not that complicated. you get up, go to work, eat three meals, take one good [ bleep ], go back tbed. what's the [ bleep ] mystery? >> when you see these things, do you keep track of them? >> i do. write them down on a small pad. once i lost a pad and it was -- it was the worst experience of my life. and can never get them back. because these incidents where you get the thoughts, it's very
2:00 am
specific. never happens again, only happens that one time. all those ideas gone. still gone. never thought of one of those things again a breaking story we're following this hour on cnn. a shooting in a german nightclub has left at least one person dead there. we'll have the latest from authorities. >> a major terror operation in sydney and australia, a plot to bring down an aircraft. the latest ahead. and the president of the united states slams china for not reigning in kim jong-un and his missile program. 5:00 a.m. on the u.s. east coast. we want to welcome our viewers here in the united states and all around the world. i'm george howell in clant. >> and it is

22 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on