Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  September 22, 2017 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
can be more presidential than any president that's ever held this office. that i can tell you. xxxx. breaking news, the president speaking to a cheering crowd in alabama tonight. this is cnn tonight. i'm don lemon. thanks for joining us. the president apparently has russia on his mind much listen. >> just in case you are curious, no, russia did not help me. okay? >> and he is doubling down on his rocket man rhetoric. >> we can't have mad men out there shooting rockets all over
7:01 pm
the place. and by the way, rocket man should have been handled a long time ago. >> and listen to what the president says about john mccain's decision today to vote no on the gop's last-ditch effort to repeal obamacare. >> john mccain, if you look at his campaign, his last campaign, was all about repeal and replace, repeal ask replace. so he decided to do something different, and that's fine. and i say we still have a chance -- we're going to do it eventually. we're going to do it eventually. >> let's get right to cnn's kaitlyn collins in huntsville, alabama for us tonight. he covered a lot of ground in his rally and we're going to get to a lot of that in this show tonight. but what did the president spa about senator john mccain's announcement? >> well, we were expecting the president to take several swipes at john mccain after he announced today that he would not be supporting the graham/cassidy bill. the president said that it
7:02 pm
actually came as a surprise to him because he was given a list of people to be worried about and that john mccain was not on that list. listen to what the president said. >> they gave me a list of ten people that were absolutely nos. these are ten republican senators. now, john mccain's list -- [ crowd booing ] >> john mccain's name was not on the list. so that was unexpected. terrible. repeal and replace, because john mccain, if you look at his last campaign was all about repeal and replace, repeal and replace. >> so although that the president -- what john mccain did today potentially dealt this fatal blow to another effort by the republicans to repeal and replace the affordable care act
7:03 pm
the president still soupded hopeful. in fact, he thinks that he can get senator rand paul of kentucky who has been a hard no on this bill the entire time, that he can get him to say yes. and the president said wouldn't it be ironic if he got rand paul to say yes while john mccain was saying no because he said that rand paul and john mccain don't like each other. but, yeah, he took several swipes at john mccain here tonight in huntsville. >> is there any word on whether they're going to continue their efforts to wrangle these votes? he's saying he is, but have you heard anything from the white house. >> one person did tell our dan that what john mccain said today undeniably hurts their efforts to repeal obamacare. they're going to reach out to senators and try and move this thing forward. but it's definitely not in a good place, don. >> thank you very much. now i want to bring in bob cusack. he's the editor and chief in the hill, april ryen and kevin mad
7:04 pm
den. happy friday. how are you guys? >> hey, don. >> bob, i -- april, wow, look at that. i like the glasses. very nice. bob, are you surprised that the president publicly went after senator john mccain? >> no. this is his tile. i am surprised that his supposed list of ten republican senators who could be a no that it didn't include john mccain. john mccain has been saying for the last couple days he is undecided. and of course, he's the one who killed the so-called skinny bill. so this thing is really on life support. senator collins would have to vote yes. she may run for governor. i don't think she's going to be a yes. murkowski voted no last time. i don't think they can get rand paul. and the clock is ticking, don, as you know. they have to get it done by september 30th. >> even if he gets rand paul and he doesn't get the other two, what does that mean? >> if he's able to get rand paul but he can't get murkowski or collins, they don't get there.
7:05 pm
this is a numbers game and they don't have the numbers. john mccain in all likelihood killed healthcare reform, obamacare replacement again. this is the second time he's done it. i don't think anybody should be too surprised. we're not even getting a cbo score on this bill and john mccain was saying we need to do regular order, meaning deliberations and hearings. there have been no hearings on this bill. so don't be that surprised that john mccain is a no. he was a no last time. >> well, you're reading my mind, kevin. that was my question to you. should people be surprised? i mean, didn't john mccain say what he wanted from any efforts to alter the healthcare system, he said it last time when he gave his speech in front of the senate? he said he wanted bipartisanship. he wanted people to work together. should we be surprised? >> i am not surprised. and for exactly that reason. senator mccain does believe that this needs to be a bill that's done with regular order and that something as big as reorganizing one-sixth of the american
7:06 pm
economy should have a broader swath of bipartisan support. and i expect that one of the reasons that he was not on that list that was given to the president was that john mccain is probably not somebody who is going to be swayed by just one phone call from the other end of pennsylvania avenue. i expect that the intel that the white house was probably getting and as well as some of the intel that folks up on the hill were getting was that john mccain was pretty dug in and that he believes that this is very steadfast in his belief that this needs to be a process that's bipartisan and done through regular order. >> april, i want to bring you in, but i want to hear more from the president and then we'll talk on the other side. okay? >> john mccain came in and he went thumbs down at 3:00 in the morning. everybody. i know so much, folks. i could tell you. it was sad. and we had a couple of other senators, but, you know, at least we knew where we stood there.
7:07 pm
that was like really a horrible thing. honestly, that was a horrible, horrible thing that happened to the republican party. that was a horrible thing. >> why is the president talking about the gop bill as if he had nothing to do with it. he signed it. he tried to get senators on board. he stride to pass it. it's his bill too. >> it's very much his bill. he doesn't want to let it go. he's not going to let it go, you know. even if all of this fails, he's going to continue and continue and continue and continue until he gets something. he does not like to lose. but really what's striking to me is how he continues to rail against senator mccain. we saw that during the campaign. we saw how he talked about, you know, when he doesn't like people who are caught, you know -- >> war heroes because he was captured. he likes people who weren't captured, yeah. >> yeah, who aren't captured.
7:08 pm
and he's been railing on senator mccain ever since then. and even so now, senator mccain is someone who is fighting for his life but is very clear at this point that, you know, he is not going to vote something that we don't know the positives or the negatives with. and typically we've seen in the last couple of months, it's not even been that long, every time they try to do this we've seen that people are cut. the least of these are hurt. you know, some issues that are on the table, you know, mental health and services for the opioid addiction, things of that nature. medicaid. i mean, you know, what is it? pre-existing conditions. people who really need help are the ones who are hurt. so -- and you also have to remember this, don. senator mccain is fighting for his life right now and he is able to pay for care sh but he's probably in the back of his mind saying i can do this, but others can't. and he is in a real situation. this is not, you know, i'm okay,
7:09 pm
i'm with the party. he sees the reality and life and death in his hands and in his face right now with this and others could be doing the same. so this is very real for him and for this president to keep railing against john mccain is something very interesting to me. >> yeah. he probably could have gone further tonight and i think he, for this president, i think -- >> he may want to go -- >> i was surprised -- i've got to tell you, i was surprised he didn't. >> i think he realizes the risk in that, kevin. i was going to say for him he was reserved. but go on. sorry to cut you off. >> he prides himself in being this counter puncher. he goes after people not only for their politics or how they've disappointed him politically but personally. and he didn't do that and i think that's because he and others still believe there's a sliver of hope that they can find votes elsewhere and he doesn't want to distract away from that.
7:10 pm
>> do you think they can? >> i think it's a very, very tall order. i know that bob cusack knows the hill as well as anybody and the numbers game that he was describing before, yeah, the numbers game that he was describing before is very, very daunting challenge right now for folks on the hill. >> one more thing -- >> but you guys, it's about -- >> go ahead, april. >> well, it's about the undecide ds and it is a numbers game. i'm going to tell you earlier today i was about with 1,500 mostly african-american women at the cbc annual legislative week, the black women's agenda luncheon and when they heard that john mccain gave a no vote to this, they all stood up and applauded. i mean, they were rejoicing over senator mccain feeling there is hope and again it's a numbers game. for these undecide z, if their constituents come out and really
7:11 pm
make a difference in numbers it really could make a difference whether this moves forward in any way shape or form either procedurally or by a vote. >> here is the president speaking about his key campaign promise, the wall. watch this. >> what i do best, i build. so i have a concrete wall and you have mexico. wonderful, wonderful place. mexico. and you have over here the united states. but you can't see anything. right? so now they take drugs literally and they throw it a hundred pounds of drugs, they throw it over the wall. they have catapults, but they throw it over the wall and it lands and it hits somebody on the head. you don't even know they're there. believe it or not, this is the kind of stuff that happens. >> so the president spoke about the wall. he brought upbeating hillary clinton and winning the election. we heard lock her up chants. i mean, he's clearly still in campaign mode, bob, yet there's no legislative happening p. what do you make of this.
7:12 pm
>> well, in this speech tonight he talked about all those things. he talked about nfl injuries. he talked about nfl ratings and they're down because people are watching the news. and remember, this was a rally for senator strange of alabama, who is in a very difficult primary and is the underdog against roy moore and that race is next week. but this is what trump is. i mean, we saw this on the campaign trail, don, as you know, so many sometimes is that wide ranging speech. he's talking about the wall. he says he's going to get it. but he's also willing to trade daca for the d.r.e.a.m.ers for just border security. that's not the wall. so he's saying he's going to get it, but unless he has, i think, 60 republicans in the senate, he's probably never going to get that wall, unless they change the filibuster rules, which is not going to happen anytime soon. >> ut-oh. strap yourselves in, especially april. it's going to be a long three and a half years.
7:13 pm
all rightment thank you you'll. i appreciate it. when we come back, john mccain's decision -- is john mccain's decision to vote no the final nail in the coffin of obamacare repeal or can zombie trumpcare come back to life? he's on his way to work in alaska. this is john. he's on his way to work in new mexico. willie and john both work for us, a business that employs over 90,000 people in the u.s. alone. we are the coca-cola company, and we make much more than our name suggests. we're an organic tea company. a premium juice company. we've got drinks for long days. for birthdays. for turning over new leaves. and all of our products rely on the same thing we all do... clean water.
7:14 pm
which is why we have john leading our efforts to replenish every drop of water we use. we believe our business thrives when our communities thrive. which is just one of the reasons we help make college a reality for thousands of students. today, companies need to do more. so john and willie are trying to do just that. thank you for listening. we're listening too. with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis? how do you chase what you love do what i did. ask your doctor about humira. it's proven to help relieve pain and protect joints from further irreversible damage in many adults. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira has been clinically studied for over 20 years. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure.
7:15 pm
before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ready for a new chapter? talk to your rheumatologist about humira. this is humira at work. ♪ ♪ where do you want to go next? ♪ ♪ only the platinum card gives you more reasons to go anywhere and everywhere. ♪ ♪ earn rewards like never before with 5 times points on flights, from american express. ♪ ♪ because there's always more world, there's platinum.
7:16 pm
backed by the service and security of american express. because there's always more world, there's platinum. t-mobile's unlimited now includes netflix on us. that's right, netflix on us. get four unlimited lines for just forty bucks each. taxes and fees included. and now, netflix included. so go ahead, binge on us. another reason why t-mobile is america's best unlimited network. john mccain just must have killed the gop hell care bill
7:17 pm
when he made this statement earlier, he said, quote, i cannot in good conscious vote for this graham/cassidy proposal. i believe we could do better, working together, republicans and democrats and have not yet really tried. so let's discuss this. former congresswoman lay worth is here of the independent woman's forum board of directors. daniel dress ner, matt lewis, good evening. good to have you all on on this friday. dan, i'm going to start with you because this is an extraordinary legacy item for senator john mccain who had to weigh friendship and party loyalty. what's your reaction? >> my reaction is that the surprising element of this is it is in fact his best friend nft senate lindsey graham is a cosponsor of the bill. in some ways the objections he raised this time aren't weren't that fundamentally different from the elections he raised in
7:18 pm
july when he voted against skinny repeal. in some ways this was worse because at least that bill had some cbo scoring. this one, there was no cbo score. i think there was an attempt or a plan to schedule one hearing, but this was about as far from regular order as you can get, so it's not surprising that mccain didn't change his mind. >> listen, this is an extremely important matter, matt, but friends disagree all the time and remain friends. family members disagree all the time and loved ones remain family members. but you said snore mccain had to say this because his legacy outweighed all else. explain that. >> i think so. lindsey graham and john mccain aren't just friends. there are people who are friends who disagree. but lindsey graham and john mccain are almost always allies. they're almost always together. so this was odd, i think, but, you know, john mccain -- i think
7:19 pm
it would be interesting. we'll never this. it's impossible to say, but john mccain, if he hadn't gotten that diagnosis, that health diagnosis, i don't know how he would have voted on this. it's impossible to say. but remember how it played out. he comes in sort of as the white night and kills the skinny repeal and lays the predicate why he couldn't vote for it because he wanted something bipartisan, because he wanted to return to regular order. the committee hearings, amendments, all that stuff. >> as dan was saying, i don't think how he could go from really being heroic and getting all of that aclaim and really a moment that's a legacy, maybe a swan song. i don't know if he's going to come back to the senate or not after this term. so is he had that legacy. he got all that attention and aclaim to completely do a 180 and vote for this now would have been -- it would have really undermined all of what he did last time which was very weird.
7:20 pm
>> that's why it's surprising. remember we were all sitting here last time, remember the skinny repeal and we were all talking if anyone knows what the healthcare system is like right now, it's john mccain who is actually in the throws of it and he's dealing with it. do you remember that conversation? do you agree with that and it's sort of basically what april ryen said, you know, last segment. . >> yeah. well, you always have to remember that john mccain has always been the may have rick, right. he's never been one to necessarily go along with what every wanted or he hasn't always been the most conservative senator on things. so i mean, i agree with matt in that with john mccain being so adamant about process before when the skinny bill went down that if that's still the same reason this time, i think that's valid. i said last night that, you know, not having a cbo score and not having the regular order of going through committee and working on trying to get more
7:21 pm
support for this is problematic. i mean, republicans were very critical of democrats when they would do this on certain things and ram things through. but the problem is they're up against a hard deadline with september 30th, and reconciliation. because after that they will not be able to pass anything without 60 votes, basically. and they don't have it. there's 52 senators in the senate. so this is -- it's a challenge. and this is what happens when the republicans p don't have a clear message and they don't have the support of the president staying on message. he's add. he's all over the place. i talked to my sources on capitol hill today, who told me that there's supposed to be a meeting on wednesday next week with the entire caucus, the whole gop, undisclosed location, but everyone had to cancel their committee meetings and everything else to be ready for this meeting wednesday morning supposedly to talk about tax reform now. >> right. >> they're still in the middle
7:22 pm
of a major health care fight. this has plagued the gop agenda from the beginning with trump because they're all over the place. they can't stay focused. >> so what do you think? do you think if it doesn't happen this time is it -- do you think it's going to happen? >> i have my serious doubts, don. i'm not confident that senator murkowski won't go the same way now especially since her governor has expressed his opposition to the bill, which is really unfortunate, because the bill has a lot of provisions that would actually make access to care -- i mean, you can say what you want about access to insurance and arguably that has declined precip to usel in recent years, but not just that, ak seg to care would be vastly better with this bill. >> if it's such a great bill, then why rush it? if it's really great, then there will be people from the other side of the aisle who may jump on board and say you know what? this is actually better -- this is a way improve the healthcare
7:23 pm
system? >> there is a real ideological divide between the democratic minority in the senate and the republican votemajority. we have a few swing senators on both sides of the aisle, but not enough to constitute 60 votes to get the legislation to the floor for a vote. and that's the problem. and we're running out of time because of the reconciliation mechanism. now, i happen to agree with the president. i think they're going to have to relinquish the filibuster if they really want to move forward. >> okay. so when we come back, we're going to talk about jimmy kimmel and what role he's playing in this. has he become one of if not the leading voice on health care or at least the opposition to it. and we're also going to hear from the vice president. we'll be right back.
7:24 pm
stay with me, mr. parker. when a critical patient is far from the hospital, the hospital must come to the patient. stay with me, mr. parker. the at&t network is helping first responders connect with medical teams in near real time... stay with me, mr. parker. ...saving time when it matters most. stay with me, mrs. parker. that's the power of and.
7:25 pm
if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis,... ...isn't it time to let the real you shine through? maybe it's time for otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months,... ...with reduced redness,... ...thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has... ...no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. otezla may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. tell your doctor if these occur. otezla is associated with an increased... ...risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have... ...a history of depression... ...or suicidal thoughts,... ...or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla... ...reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. other side effects include upper... ...respiratory tract infection and headache.
7:26 pm
tell your doctor about all the medicines you take... ...and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you.
7:27 pm
to defy his party and the president to vote down republicans last ditch attempt to repeal obamacare. so what does this say about the fracture toured party and its agenda? back with me now. so tar a, kmoodian jimmy kimmel played a big role. he tweeted today thank you
7:28 pm
senator john mccain for being a hero again and again and now again. what is his impact in all of this? >> well, i think he certainly had an impact on public opinion without question. he has a platform. he relates to average americans that people that don't live, breathe politics like we do. the average american out there will take jimmy kimmel's word because it comes from an authentic place for him. i'm not saying that we should be taking healthcare policy advice from jimmy kimmel because he admitted he's not an expert on this and he's not. but he has a personal story that average americans can relate to given what happened with his son. >> so he can -- >> so it certainly has an impact. i don't know necessarily if it's impacting senators. perhaps. but i don't think so. >> it's affecting your constituents, it certainly impacts the lawmakers, the senators. >> yeah. but i think not the same constituents with the lawmakers who are on the fence here.
7:29 pm
i don't think john mccain's decision was based off of jimmy kimmel's monday lotion the last couple of nights. >> you say he should not be the leading voice on health care. why? >> because he has indeed a very moving story, but in fact, if he actually were a serious student of healthcare policy, he'd know that unfortunately because of the way in which the affordable care act works, narrow networks around the country have actually shut off access to a lot of specialized programs for children like his son. now, no child, thank god, in this country should be going without life-saving surgery, but that access has actually been limited by the affordable care act and would be enhanced by cassidy graham. >> but don't you think that he understands that obamacare is not perfect? even the staunchest democrat will tell you obamacare is not perfect. it needs to be fixed, but they don't want to start all over. they don't want to repeal and
7:30 pm
replace. >> jimmy kimmel was given this position by senator cassidy. >> the jimmy kimmel test. >> i know senator cassidy. he's a model doctor and citizen, but he betrays his nonpolitical origins by giving jimmy kimmel this kind of ash tore ship over health care. >> he probably didn't realize -- >> and whoever his communications director is, senator cassidy's communications director should be fired because they should never have allowed him to name it the jimmy kimmel test and not be prepared to properly defend his own bill on this. it made him look terrible and republicans fail on this messaging all the time. it's frustrating. >> dan, you've been sitting by patiently. you write a very powerful column in the "washington post" about the jimmy kimmel effect. and the problem is not that comedians are aspiring to wade into public policy. the problem is that our policies have become so stupid and totalizing that comedians can't
7:31 pm
do their job properly without talking about it. explain that. what do you mean by that? >> well, i mean, as jimmy kimmel has delivered monday log after monday log attacking graham/cassidy a fair number of conservative critics have come out and saying who is he to make these arguments. he's a comedian. he's not a policy wonk. why is he doing this? but i believe as unanimous said, senator bill cassidy set him up for this when he declared that there's a jimmy kimmel test. and in some ways he actually had an obligation to respond to this bill. >> he said my name is on it. what am i not supposed to smond to it? go on. >> right. exactly. so if he had said nothing, it is entirely possible people would have inferred he has no problem with this bill when clearly he does have a problem. it is interesting to note i believe there was a daily beast story that came out today that suggested in fact kimmel's staff had actually been in contact
7:32 pm
with chuck schumer's staff to get information about the nature of the bill so when he did deliver his monday logs he would actually be armed with some degree of facts. and i believe politifact rated some of his more recent monday logs and he did stretch the truth or exaggerated. >> i want to move on. i want to talk about the -- i'm sorry. finish your thought. sorry about that. >> no. that was all i was going to say. >> the vice president today said if you aren't voting to repeal obamacare, you're voting to save it. watch this. >> a vote against graham/cassidy is a vote to save obamacare. the republican majority in congress in particular was not elected to save obamacare. they were elected to repeal and replace it, and it's time for every member of the republican majority to keep their word. >> matt, is he right? should republicans that are voting, not like rand paul and
7:33 pm
john mccain, should they be worried about backlash? >> yeah, i think so. look, i mean, i think senator mccain had very legitimate and defensible reasons for his vote against this. and it is also fair to say that republicans and ted cruz have been saying for years if you do this, it's a vote for obamacare, right. but this time it actually is, because as we've discussed, reconciliation is going to expire on september 30th, and it really is a binary choice now. you either vote for graham/cassidy or, look, it appears that we will have obamacare indefinitely. so i don't think that vice president pence is exaggerating this time. >> i know. but what do you do when people like the affordable care act what they currently have which is obamacare, by the way, if you're watching, they're the same thing, they like that befrt than graham/cassidy? what do you do?
7:34 pm
>> well, look, i think, you know, as a -- if you're a public servant and you're elected, now you have a serious question. are you elected to represent, you know, public opinion or are you represented to do what you believe is in the best interest of your constituents. i think it's never fg to be popular -- >> i thought you say public opinion or to keep a campaign promise because i would be on the side of public opinion more than to keep a campaign policy. >> the public is actually unclear on this. i think that anytime it's coming -- if you want to change health care again, we just went through this, it's always going to be unpopular. people don't -- you know, then don't want to go through that again, even if it's an improvement. so people -- thaurs a lot of -- there are a lot of times that the public is against something. it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it if it's the right thing to do. >> quick, i know you want to say something. >> don, the public pressure is going to keep increasing, though, because 45% now of the counties across the country have
7:35 pm
only been insurer in the exchange. and premiums are on the rise yet again. >> more fuel for a bipartisan bill. >> it's a gigantic subsidy to the insurance coverage. >> have a great weekend, every. great conversation. my next guest says president trump may deserve a word for huts pa. and we're working together to do just that. bringing you more great tasting beverages with less sugar or no sugar at all. smaller portion sizes, clear calorie labels, and reminders to think balance. because we know mom wants what's best. more beverage choices, smaller portions, less sugar. balanceus.org
7:36 pm
whfight back fastts, with tums smoothies. it starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue. and neutralizes stomach acid at the source. ♪ tum -tum -tum -tum smoothies! only from tums i was playing golf a couple days ago... love golf. and my friend mentioned a tip a pro gave her. did it help? it completely ruined my game. that advice was never meant for you. i like you. you want to show me your swing? it's too soon. get advice that's right for you with investment management services. we just got to take it one game at a time. next question. odell. odell. can you repeat everything you just said? my livestream won't load. (blows whistle). technical foul. wrong sport. wrong network. see you need unlimited on verizon it's america's largest most reliable 4g lte network. it won't let you down in places like this. even in the strike zone. (laughs). it's the red zone. pretty sure it is the strike zone. here use mine. alright. see you on the court champ. heads up! when it really, really matters you need the best network and the best unlimited. plans now start at $40 per line for four lines.
7:37 pm
(con artists...) they'll try anything to get your medicare card number. so they can steal your identity, commit medicare fraud. what can you do? guard your card? guard your card? just like your credit card. nobody gets my number, unless i know they should have it. to protect your identity, new medicare cards without social security numbers will be mailed next year. visit medicare.gov/fraud stay sharp people!
7:38 pm
7:39 pm
so john mccain may killed the republican's attempts to repeal obamacare for a second time but is this really the end much repeal and replace. good to have you on. >> good to be with you. >> thank you very much. we have a lot to dofr, but i first want to ask you about this graham/cassidy proposal and then john mccain said he couldn't vote for it in good conscious, sinking this bill probably in its entirety. what's your reaction? >> so, i mean, i think that this probably does kill it, and i think it also -- you know, these issues have momentum so i think it's going to then affect the
7:40 pm
tax reform. i think it's going to make it harder to pass tax reform. and down the road infrastructure finance which is also -- it's difficult to fit in this year's agenda. i think it just makes the broird trump agenda that much more difficult to achieve when he loses what he was starting out with. >> who do you think -- the president spoeng tonight. he spoke of the bill as if it was a republican bill and he had nothing to do with it. is it the president's, is it congress? is it the american people who have now come to like obamacare, the polls show that it's more popular than graham/cassidy. so whose fault is it? >> well, i mean, ultimately -- >> all of it. >> when you have a republican president working with a republican congress and you can't get 50 votes in the senate to do something that they've all been talking about for years, then something is wrong, i think, with that presidential leadership. but, i mean, you know, fundamentally there was something profoundly wrong with the bill which is that every
7:41 pm
health care expert thought it was aweful and would harm the health of the american public. one of the things i fear is that now president trump is going to try to undermine obamacare not through the legislative process so much but by not providing the cost sharing subsidies which would hugely undermine it by -- >> isn't that happening somewhat now? especially with the rhetoric. >> and every time president trump talks about how it's going to die under its own weighted, you know, the image i think of is somebody who is stepping on the oxygen hose of the patient and saying, oh, look, the poor patient is dying. it's because you're stepping on the oxygen hose. >> and i hear people say that and if you actually read up on it and you look at the fact checks, it's not collapsing under its own weight. >> absolutely not. >> there are a number of different factors. huge problems. >> it certainly has difficulties, but it has actually been stabilizing, but it does -- i mean, it does need
7:42 pm
some fixes. it does need those cost sharing subsidies. >> i wonder if there will ever be a bipartisan proposal. john mccain said i believe we can do better working together, republicans and democrats and have not yet really tried. will there ever be a bipartisan proposal, do you think? >> there was a real effort in that direction and then it was put aside because of this effort to kill obamacare. you know, maybe that can be revived. i think there are some people on both sides who really do want to repair and improve obamacare. >> let's move on, shall we? i want to talk about north korea, because at the u.n.g.a. this week president trump calling kim jong-un a rocket man on a suicide mission for himself and then in your op-ed in "the new york times" you wrote the following. you said if there were an award for united nations hutzpah, the competition would be tough, but the melds might go to trump for warning that if necessary we will have no choice but to totally destroy north korea.
7:43 pm
there were gachs in the hall, a forum for peace was used to threaten to anie late a nation of 25 million people. your thoughts on the president's comments? >> i mean, it was not just tonalel wrong. it was counterproductive. the basic problem here is that we need diplomacy to defuse a situation and both president trump and kim jong-un are temper mentally inclined to react by escalating. so indeed that is what has happened. president trump made his comments and now kim jong-un has made a remarkable statement, the first that anybody knows of in history of north korea in which the leader of north korea directly made a comment to a foreign head of state and i think, unfortunately, kind of painted himself in a corner which is going to make it harder for north korea to ever negotiate a deal on its nukes and its missiles. i'm afraid it's going to be a
7:44 pm
lot harder this coming week to negotiate some kind of peaceful outcome than it would have been a week ago. >> that's why everyone always says take the high road when it comes to dealing with north korea. >> speak softly and carry a big stick but don't shout and bluster in ways that just make it harder to antagonize allies and make it harder to achieve peace. >> thank you. >> good to be with you, don. >> always good to see you. when we come back, president trump calling facebook's russian related ads part of what he insists is the russian hoax. but who is really hyped those ads and how sophisticated were their efforts? red lobster. and we went all out to bring you even more incredible shrimp and new flavors. like new nashville hot shrimp, drizzled with sweet amber honey, and new grilled mediterranean shrimp finished with a savory blend of green onions, tomatoes, and herbs. feeling hungry yet? good, 'cause there's plenty more where these came from. like garlic shrimp scampi, and other classics you love.
7:45 pm
as much as you want, however you want them. but hurry, endless shrimp won't be here long. [fbi agent] you're a brave man, your testimony will save lives. mr. stevens? this is your new name. this is your new house. and a perfectly inconspicuous suv. you must become invisible. [hero] i'll take my chances.
7:46 pm
♪ ♪ what would you do if you had even more time to explore? ♪ ♪ book your next stay through the fine hotels and resorts program and enjoy a world of benefits with the platinum card. ♪ ♪ open up the world with platinum. backed by the service and security of american express. ♪ ♪ backed by the service and security of american express. he's on his way to work in alaska. this is john. he's on his way to work in new mexico. willie and john both work for us, a business that employs over 90,000 people in the u.s. alone. we are the coca-cola company, and we make much more than our name suggests. we're an organic tea company.
7:47 pm
a premium juice company. we've got drinks for long days. for birthdays. for turning over new leaves. and all of our products rely on the same thing we all do... clean water. which is why we have john leading our efforts to replenish every drop of water we use. we believe our business thrives when our communities thrive. which is just one of the reasons we help make college a reality for thousands of students. today, companies need to do more. so john and willie are trying to do just that. thank you for listening. we're listening too. t-mobile's unlimited now includes netflix on us. that's right, netflix on us. get four unlimited lines for just forty bucks each. taxes and fees included. and now, netflix included. so go ahead, binge on us. another reason why t-mobile is america's best unlimited network.
7:48 pm
president trump at his rally tonight in alabama slamming the russia investigation. >> just in case you are curious, no, russia did not help me. okay? russia. i call it the russian hoax. >> here now to discuss is steve la pow ski the senior writer at wired. hr reporting appears on wired.com. general gentleman far former associate white house counsel and reign aldough marriottty a former federal prosecutor the so good to have all of you on this
7:49 pm
evening. thank you so much. we're learning tonight that the department of humid security has informed as many as 2 is states that russian hackers targeted their election infrastructure ahead of the 2016 election. what were they trying to do and were they working with anyone to do it? >> well, i will tell you, i was shocked to hear that news because frankly, we are getting close to elections. here in illinois we have an election coming up in march and frankly, the washing could have come earlier to let states know that they needed to guard against another attack and investigate what had happened. but wernl one thing that we do know is given the search warrant that was executed at facebook, that cnn and others have reported about, there can be no doubt that a federal judge has determined that there is probable cause, in other words a good reason to believe, that a crime occurred on facebook. and there is evidence of that crime. and that crime would be a
7:50 pm
contribution to the election by a foreign individual. and so while the president seems very sure that russia had nothing to do with the election, i think, you know, unless he knows something that we don't, i think that the judge who is a neutral third party has a good idea of what's going on. >> so let me ask you, then, the president tonight in his rally you we know they certainly tried and the assessment from the entire intelligence community, that's the assessment. the president loved touting everything from wikileaks, hacks, on the campaign trail. is he right? >> there's no question the russians tried to influence the selecti selection. and to be very successful at it. we've seen russia talked about every day in the news. it's clear president trump has been hampered in his ability to function and congress has
7:51 pm
investigated this. the russian covert intelligence operation has been successful. absolutely there's an effort by russia to manipulate the election and to try to undermine confidence in our electoral system. >> but is he right? that was my question. he said he got no help from the russians. >> it's unclear who the russians were trying to help. what they were surely trying to do is manipulate the election process and undermine our confidence and with that they've been successful. whether they were trying to help donald trump or not i don't think it matters all that much. what matters at the end of the day is they were successful in their effort and are continuing to be successful. we continue to talk about these things. which look, we have to do because it's part of the news. but they were successful in influencing our election system and undermining confidence. >> what about the story of the russia-backed facebook ads that facebook is turning over to investigators? we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. do we know how sophisticated these efforts were? >> we really don't. facebook has been really reticent about this. so far the only people that
7:52 pm
facebook has shared information with is special investigator robert mueller and just yesterday they announced they'll be sharing information with congress. that follows weekends weeks of congress asking for this information. the public is still largely in the dark about what these ads contained, about facebook even found them frankly. if we don't know how facebook was looking for these russian ads we can't know what else is out there. facebook is not criminal investigators. this is not their area of expertise. and i think they really need to call in help, which it seems like they are doing now. >> why do you think they were so reticent to turn it over and what do you think the push was? >> it's not a great look to be the biggest advertising platform on the platform and having sold ads to russian that's may have influenced the american election. that's not a great look. so facebook doesn't really want to publicize that. i think it was a little out of their hands. this was the biggest story in the country and arguably the world right now and robert mueller is looking into this. and i think that it was very
7:53 pm
important, that these ads which are digital fingerprints that the russians left behind get into his hands for a proper investigation. >> you know, jared kushner touted that highly targeted facebook advertisements on facebook from the trump campaign, was very proud of it. and also, what did those ads look like? hmm. we'll talk about that after the break. i count on my dell small business advisor for tech advice. with one phone call, i get products that suit my needs and i get back to business. ♪ when you switch to progressive. winds stirring. too treacherous for a selfie. [ camera shutter clicks ] sure, i've taken discounts to new heights with safe driver and paperless billing. but the prize at the top is worth every last breath. here we go. [ grunts ] got 'em. ahh. wait a minute. whole wheat waffles?
7:54 pm
[ crying ] why! what's going on? oh hey! whole wheat waffles? ♪ that's it? yeah. ♪ everybody two seconds! ♪ "dear sebastian, after careful consideration of your application, it is with great pleasure that we offer our congratulations on your acceptance..." through the tuition assistance program, every day mcdonald's helps more people go to college. it's part of our commitment to being america's best first job. ♪ (baby crying) ♪ fly ♪ me to the moon (elegant music) ♪ and let me play
7:55 pm
(bell rings) and life's beautiful moments.ns get between you switch to flonase allergy relief. flonase outperforms the #1 non-drowsy allergy pill. when we breathe in allergens, our bodies react by overproducing 6 key inflammatory substances that cause our symptoms. flonase helps block 6. most allergy pills only block one and 6 is greater than 1. with more complete relief you can enjoy every beautiful moment to the fullest. flonase. 6 is greater than 1 changes everything.
7:56 pm
7:57 pm
back with me now, iss issie lip owsky, jameel jaffar, and renato ar yachti. we know jared kushner was very proud of the trump campaign's highly targeted use of facebook ads. is that an angle you think investigators are pursuing? >> absolutely. i think that mueller has gott gotten -- has executed the search warrant, he's gotten all
7:58 pm
this data. and what the search warrant shows is he is looking at foreigners who contributed to our election and the crime that he believes that they've committed. so the next step is going to be for him to figure out which americans may have assisted in those efforts. what your viewers may not know is if you know that a crime is being committed and you do something tangibly to move that crime forward you are also guilty of that crime. it's called aiding and abetting. so if any american, whether it's jared kushner or someone else, help the russians target their advertising, help them develop their advertising, help them conceal what they were doing, those people are also guilty of those claims. so i suspect that is going to be a major focus of the mueller investigation. >> we wanted to show our viewers what these ads looked like, what to look out for, what to keep an eye on for. but they haven't been made public. facebook has only handed them to investigators. why is that? >> facebook doesn't want the public to see the ugly truth i
7:59 pm
think is the answer. their excuse is that they cannot divulge all these details about an ongoing investigation. however, they did say yesterday that they are going to be presenting congress with copies of these ads and some information about the ads and they trust that congress will do with it what it sees fit. i do want to point out that there are no ties so far between the trump digital operation and these russia-linked ads. these ads that were purchased from russia were purchased by as far as we know a group called internet research agency, which is a known propaganda group that operates out of t. petersburg. there are so far no ties between the trump digital campaign that the kushners talked about and this russian group. so i think we have to be very careful about distinguishing between these two. >> but don't you think this is a real inflection point for facebook, how they handle this going forward? because there could be a real backlash if it's -- >> well, it -- >> go on.
8:00 pm
>> i'm sorry, don. i was going to say i agree with you. and frankly, speaking as a lawyer, facebook's got very good lawyers and one thing those lawyers are telling facebook is when the justice department looks at there's any liability for facebook, which is something people have been asking me a lot about on twitter and i'll be writing about soon, one of the factors that they're going it look at is how cooperative facebook was, how cooperative they were with the government, how much they came forward. and so not only is there a pr component to it, which i agree is part of it. i also think that part of it is a legal component where being as cooperative as possible with authorities is the best way to ensure as little liability as possible for them. >> jameel, i'll give you the last word. >> well, look, don, i think renato's right. i think it's important the government and facebook work together on this effort. i think facebook's made some good progress in the last few days. what they're going to do with congress to disclose the ads going forward. and so i think there's a real opportunity for the government and industry to work

24 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on