Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  October 9, 2017 9:00pm-10:00pm PDT

9:00 pm
did you know slow internet can actually hold your business back? say goodbye to slow downloads, slow backups, slow everything. comcast business offers blazing fast and reliable internet that's up to 16 times faster than slow internet from the phone company. say hello to faster downloads with internet speeds up to 250 megabits per second. get fast internet and add phone and tv now for only $34.90 more per month. call today. comcast business. built for business. we begin tonight with breaking news on the las vegas shooting that alters big pieces of what authorities have previously said about what happened that night
9:01 pm
in vegas. a new timeline including a substantially revised account of the moments before the mass killing began. cnn's in vegas where she joins us now. so explain this new timeline where the sheriff now says happened. >> reporter: well, anderson, just as you said, this is a significant shift. up until now our information was that the gunman on the 32nd floor of the mandalay bay hoilgts was firing on this crowd, this crowd of 22,000 innocent concertgoers, and then he turned his gunfire to the security guard. so shoot at the crowd first then turns to the security guard and that diverts the gunfire from the crowd to the security guard. the information we're getting today from the sheriff is that the security guard, jesus campos was shot first. here is what the sheriff said. >> he was injured prior to the mass volley of shooting. what we have learned is mr. campos was encountered by the suspect prior to his shooting to
9:02 pm
the outside world. >> reporter: and this is a significant time shift because according to what the sheriff says today, anderson, it was a six-minute time shift. the security guard was shot first. six minutes later security cameras then see the first gunshots fired from that 32nd floor hotel room on to that crowd. so a very different picture that we're getting. not surprised by the security guard. security guard shot first. >> it also raises questions because the sheriff also said the security guard notified hotel security and was able to stop a maintenance worker or something from being on the floor as well. but i don't understand. if he alerted hotel security, i would assume hotel security would have called the police. so i would have assumed police would have been aware that shots were fired on the 32nd floor much sooner than perhaps they were if the hotel did call the police. and it also raises the question
9:03 pm
of what then diverted the gunman -- what stopped the gunman from shooting after ten or 11 minutes outside and why didn't he continue his rampage? was it that police by then had arrived? do we know. >> there are a lot of questions. all of these that you have, around son. we just can't answer. and right now at least the investigators don't appear to have those answers for us. so there are a lot of questions that we have after this news conference. and one that we specifically have is this drilling. i think the drilling here is key. the sheriff talked about how the security guard responded to an alarm on the floor. then he heard some drilling, and that made him turn his attention to this particular hotel room. and he appeared to surprise the gunman. he was midway through this drilling, accord to go what the sheriff said about the gunman and then started firing on the security guard. so yes, anderson, a lot of questions about what happened in
9:04 pm
those six minutes and then in the very minutes following the mass shooting of this crowd. >> we also learned that the shooter checked into the hotel days earlier than previously thought. >> you're talking about a shift of three days. and this is very curious as well. what the sheriff initially told reporters publicly is that the shooter checked in on the 28th, but today it's now appearing to be the 25th. and investigators don't know what happened between the 25th and the 28th because the sheriff said it does not appear that the gunman was in the hotel room. so what happened to those three days? where was he? another question that they can't answer right now. >> i also understand you obtained a deposition from 2013 from when the shooter was suing another casino. >> reporter: this is a lawsuit, a civil lawsuit that really doesn't pertain right to this particular investigation, but the fbi we are told now has this deposition that was exclusively
9:05 pm
obtained by cnn. we are hearing this from two different sources that the fbi is looking at this. they're trying to build a profile. you heard the frustration in the sherch's voice. they're trying to step into the mind of this gunman. before the gunman unleashed his murderous assault on an innocent concert crowd, he called himself the biggest video poker player in the world. gambling up to a million dollars in a single night, overnight, sleeping during the day, prescribed valium for anxiousness. these are the killer's own words as he testified in 2013 in his lawsuit against a cosmo positively tan hotel in las vegas where he slipped in the walkway. he says he moved from las vegas casino to casino, at one point staying upwards of three weeks out of aa month. a high roller, his hotel stays were comped 95% of the time. bets ranged from 100 to 150 each
9:06 pm
time i pushed the button. he called video poker a game of discipline, at times appearing condescending and sarcastic as he explains to the attorney why he stays sober while gambling. at the stakes i play you want to have all your wits about you. the mesquite home suggests an upper middle class life. he paid a yearly fee to dr. winkler. he prescribed him valium. the las vegas review journal reported that dr. winkler prescribed him valium in june of this year. cnn doopt independently confirm that information. despite all the claims about his high rolling ways, he testified on the day he fell in the cosmo
9:07 pm
positively tan he wore his typical clothing saying i always wear black nike sweatpants on his feet black flip-flops that he wore 9d 8% of the time. life was better before the economic meltdown, he testified, saying vegas consist comped less and less meaning he visited sin city less. what happened to the economy in 2007, he said? it tanked. las vegas went into the gutter with a lot of other things. they quit giving away free bees. it just wasn't worth coming out here as often. >> in the deposition i understand that the killer was asked about his mental health in addition to the medicine. what did he say? >> reporter: he did talk -- he was asked a handful of times about his mental illness, if any existed. did he have any history of it? was there any family history of mental illness? were there any addictions? and he always said no, anderson.
9:08 pm
we should point out the doctor that we did mention, this las vegas area doctor, we did reach out to him via e-mail and cell and he did not respond to any of our requests to speak to us. >> all right. thanks very much. i want to go over that updated timeline one more time. at 959 the security guard authorities say was shot by the gunman. at 1005 the first shots were fired. he fired the last shots at 10:15 p.m. authorities breached the room at 11:20, though law enforcement had arrived sooner. james, i think i was on the air with you probably on wednesday from las vegas when there was a press conference from law enforcement wednesday night, and they sort of gave this timeline as saying it seemed to indicate it was the arrival by the security guard and then law enforcement that changed this from a shooting by this gunman out into the crowd to having it
9:09 pm
be focused on the security guard and law enforcement. that now seems to not be the case. so there's a lot of questions this raises about did law enforcement know shots had been fired on this floor at the security guard, because the security guard apparently radioed in to hotel security to let them know what happened. were police aware of that before the shooting into the crowd began and also what was it that made the shooter stop shooting out the window. >> anderson, in investigation, you know, the sunl or the perpetrator, the bad guys always presented the variables. from the law enforcement end we have to get it right and we have to provide the constant. and listen, i'm not critical of the las vegas police department or the las vegas sheriff's department because of the chaos and fog of war and the things that happened during these times of ins depts. i've been involved in a number of them and i know it's hard to get things perfectly right right away. but this is why, i think, and i'm going to be a little critical here. this is why i suggest there
9:10 pm
should have been a little bit more caution, a little bit more ret sense as far as what was shared. yes, the public has a right to know. yes, we want to put things out that will help the police solve the crime or figure out a motive in this instance, but sometimes putting out too much information or getting things wrong like the timeline, again, no dplus it on the part of the police. i don't think this was a concerted effect on their part to get it wrong, but that is a huge change in the timeline, anderson, when we know now that the security guard was fired upon six minutes before paddock fired into the crowd, that changes everything. and then what was it that actually caused him to stop firing? we all plead that it was because he was disturbed by the security guard and began to prepare for the advance of the police. and now we know that wasn't the case. a lot more questions than answers. >> i remember you saying in the early days after this you're always very skeptical of the initial reports, of the reports by law enforcement, you know, describing what happened for
9:11 pm
several days because just of the confusion. what do you make of this change in timeline? >> this doesn't mean a lot to me, anderson. i'm less critical than james. look, we're talking about 360 second. we're talking about the time difference between six minutes and seven minutes. i think the timeline still holds true from a general perspective. that is this individual decided he wanted to shoot on the crowd. he saw one person come down the corridor. he shot that person, assume this timeline, this sort of revised timeline is correct. i'm not sure that's true. and then he had an air gap where he could return to the windows and shoot. i don't think this is tremendously significant. the bottom line is the media here wants answers within 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours. the sheriff tried to provide those time lines and he was 360 seconds off. in my world that doesn't mean a lot, anderson. it's not a big deal. >> mary ellen, what do you make of the fact that we still don't seem to have any clear motive for this attack?
9:12 pm
>> yes. what that suggests to me is that the trigger was not external, that it was internal. it was something that he had been thinking about for a long time. it wasn't because someone did something to him or insulted him. the plan came, emanated from him and it was controlled by him. it wasn't the result of somebody aggravating him. and that may be the reason that we're finding it so very difficult to find that external triggerment and we do have criminal behavior that is not triggered by some external problem or incident. i mean, it happens all the time. this was certainly the biggest, most sensational crime that we've seen in so long, but i do think it was something that we had enthinking about for years. >> phil, i meenl, the sheriff saying they've uncovered more than 200 times that the shooter was traveling through las vegas, was never seen with anyone else. does seem to stand in contrast
9:13 pm
with what the sheriff said last week that he didn't think this could be carried out by just one person alone of the it's interesting that they have yet according to law enforcement have seen him with anybody else. >> that's not a contrast to me, anderson. i understand what he's saying. when you go down the road in this investigation your fist response has to be before we assume that nobody else is involved, we have to look at every avenue. that's sort of the default. this is a curious case. let's go through three stages. stage one is chaos. a day or two in this sort of fog of war, what happened here. stage two is acquisition of data. that is interviews with people like friends and family, the girlfriend, acquisition of data. and you're going to assume in that acquisition of data and in those interviews you're going to find a motive, politics, sex, money. now we're in stage three and we're realizing maybe the motive was some internal demon that this individual might have reacted to after decades of absorbing whatever that internal
9:14 pm
demon was. that's really difficult to figure out and i think that might be where we're sort of going now, anderson, internal denim ons, not an external focus. >> the shooter had some sort of protective gear. law enforcement hasn't gone into detail what it was. it would be interesting to see kev lar voice, whvest, what lev it was. i guess my interest in that is whether this was for some sort of close up, you know, involvement with law enforcement or whether he thought he was vulnerable to a longer shot. >> sure, anderson. just to help your viewers out, so there's a number of different levels for kev lar vest. there's a three, three a, four and the difference yags between them is the amount of fabric that's compressed, that's put together, that basically just slows down the t factor, the time that the bullet strikes the
9:15 pm
vest before it can get to human tissue. now, if there had been ceramic plates in or steel plates, that's also possible. we see those overseas. i'm not sure. i'm struck by the news late yesterday or earlier today about the computations he was doing on trajectory. so we know he was doing physics computations that a fire support officer would do in the military. you know, worrying about the properties of matter and energy and how he had to aim his weapons to make sure that they rained fire down on the crowd below 500 meters away. this was planned with military style precision. again, i'm not critical for the police on their response. they were dealing with a committed killer who had gone to great lengths to kill as many people as possible. i'm just hoping going forward with the police we slow down what we're releasing, make sure we get it right. >> i want to thank everybody. coming up next, the senator who says the president's words and
9:16 pm
actions could lead to world war three. we'll see what else he says and why the white house is attacking him for all things tweeting. and later the congressman who says we got it all about those neo-nazis. we're keeping him honest ahead. but also actively steer... ...we're getting closer to our ultimate goal: a world without accidents. experience driver-first innovation. experience amazing.
9:17 pm
'saved money on motorcycle insurance with geico. goin' up the country. later, gary' i have a motorcycle! wonderful. ♪ ♪ i'm goin' up the country, baby don't you wanna go? ♪ ♪ i'm goin' up the country, baby don't you wanna go? ♪
9:18 pm
geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. you know win control? be this guy. check it out! self-appendectomy! oh, that's really attached. that's why i rent from national. where i get the control to choose any car in the aisle i want, not some car they choose for me. which makes me one smooth operator. ah! still a little tender. (vo) go national. go like a pro. but he hasoke up wwork to do.in. so he took aleve. if he'd taken tylenol, he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength to stop tough pain for up to 12 hours with just one pill. aleve. all day strong. tonight the president and the criticism of him by a powerful republican senator. now, it would be easy to portray this story as just a typical
9:19 pm
washington war of words, but it's important to note the stunning nature of what is actually happening right now between the president and republican senator bob corker, the chairman of the foreign relations committee, a man not given to exaggeration and loose talk. a man who is now saying the kmachbder in chief could be putting the country, quote, on the path to world war three. and that's not all senator bob corker told the new york tiles over the weekend about the man he once campaigned for and praised at the time for his newfound maturity and subtle grap of foreign policy in a 25 minute phone call he said the president is tweeting his office like a reality show. he went on to say i know for a fact that every single day at the white house it's a situation of trying to contain him. senator corker also telling the times, quote, he concerns me and said he would have to concern anyone who cares about our nation. he said the vags majority of his fellow republicans agree with his assessment. you may remember a few weeks ago he criticized the president's handling of the charlottesville
9:20 pm
protests. >> the president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful. he also recently has not demonstrated that he understands the character of this nation. >> well, apparently stunned by that and comments by the senator suggesting the top cabinet members were the only thing preventing chaos the president seemed to as i remember awhile and then this weekend he took to twitter. senator bob corker begged me to endorse him for re-election in tennessee. i said no and he dropped out. said he could not win without my endorsement. he also wanted to be secretary of state. i said no, thanks. he is also largely responsibility for the horrendous iran deal. hence i would fully expect corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. didn't have the guts to run. well, senator corker responded with this.
9:21 pm
it's a shame the white house has become an adult day-care center. someone obviously missed their shift this morning. then he spoke with the times detailing four instances in which the president had according to corker encouraged him to run. he lamented that the president tweets things that simply rpt true, telling the times you know he does it. every one knows he does it. but he does. he did not call the president unfit for office, but it's hard to read his remarks any other way skpchlt this morning appearing on fox and friends white house adviser kellyanne conway had this to say when host brian kill immediate called senator corker's tweet demeaning. >> well, it is. and world leaders see that. we've all worked with senator corker over the years. we thank him for his service, but i find tweets like this to be incredibly irresponsible. it adds to the insulting that the mainstream media and the president's detractors almost a yoor after this election they still can't accept the election resulted. it adds to their ability and their cover to speak about a president of the united states,
9:22 pm
the president of the united states in ways that no president should be talked about. >> she finds tweets like senator bob corker's, quote, incredibly irresponsible, saying world leaders see it. let's just let that sink in for a moment. bob corker's tweets are incredibly irresponsible and these concerned that world leaders see it. a tweet incredibly irresponsible. let me just remind you she works for the president of the united states who tweets in the predawn hours and all throughout the day seemingly whatever poms into his mind whether those things are true or not. but shelsz corker is the irresponsible one. does she hole the president to the same criticism? no, she doesn't nor do many people in the president's orbit. >> donald trump social media platform is a very powerful way for him to communicate with people. >> he has this following of more than -- >> it is a very effective form of communication. i'm not unproud of it to be honest with you.
9:23 pm
>> i like the fact that president-elect trump feels free to go and tweet and get his views out there and talk directly to people. >> he's able very quickly over and over again to set the agenda. >> it's a great way for him, chris, to take his message directly to people, cut through the noise or the silence, whatever the case may be. >> when he tweets he gets results. >> i think a lot of the mainstream media don't like it because he's cutting out the middle man. it's what i call the democratryization of information. >> why ont wouldn't i use it? if i have all these millions of people and it's a great way to get a imagine out. >> so it's a good thing for a president to attack his own cabinet members or republican leaders. it's a good thing the president tweets that the secretary of state is wasting his time trying to prevent a war with north korea the very moment his secretary of state is trying to prevent a war of north korea. it's a good thing to call the leader of north korea little rocket man. sorry, but only one thing will work when it comes to north korea.
9:24 pm
all that good according to kellyanne conway and others, but when it's not her boss doing it, it's incredibly irresponsible. this has been another profile in courage. we're learning the president is not through yet with senator corker as well as how other people around the president see this. the new york times has just released audio of their interview with the senator. >> the one reason i supported mattis and tillerson and kelly last week is long as there's people like that around him that are able to talk him down and, you know, when he gets spun up, you know, calm him down and continue to work with him before the decision is made. i think what we find -- i don't -- i do worry that he's -- again, sometimes i feel like he's on a reality show of some kind when he's talking these big foreign policy issues and, you
9:25 pm
know, he doesn't realize that, you know, that we could be heading towards world war three. >> joining us now is jonathan martin and -- jonathan, under the heading of this ain't over, where might this go from here? because again, i mean, this is just not your average washington feud. >> no, it's not. and you just played an excerpt that i was struck by in talking to the senator yesterday. basically saying america will be okay and the world will be okay as long as there's adult supervision in the white house, mentioning chief of staff john kelly, quintet mattis, the defense secretary, by name in that clip that you played. we're going to be okay provisionally as long as the adults are still there. that's extraordinary to have somebody of senator corker's status saying that. putting that side for the moment and being looing ahead, i think the sort of immediate implications here revolve around the issue of tax cuts.
9:26 pm
and some kind of a tax reform. this is the big ticket item, anderson, that the folks down here in the gop want to get done. they ned a victory going into the midterms. that is the priority right now and what the president has done in talking to sources today is he has imperiled this prospect. if you think about how tight the majority is in the senate, it's only two seats. they can only afford to lose two senators and still pass any major bill, if you attack bob corker like the president did and you have those three republicans, john mccain, lisa murkowski and susan collins who oppose the obamacare repeal, you've now basically got four free agents who are not beholden to this president who are basically immune to this president's persuasion, that could spell trouble for a big tax cut bill. >> so those who say senator corker didn't speak oit like this until he was free from the political pressures of re-election, does it give it
9:27 pm
less resonance. >> well, it gives it less resonance clearly to trump supporters, people like kellyanne conway, i'm sure, some people inside the white house, but not to people inside the senate, which is what jonathan is talking about, which is people inside the senate who are going to have to deal with this president, who privately and i've spoken to a couple of them today agree with bob corker, but they're afraid to say it publicly because they're going to have to deal with the president again in the future. and let me add one other thing. i don't think this necessarily means that senator corker is going to vote against donald trump in any kind of a knee jerk way, because is he has been in the past kind of a supporter of trump's in some ways. but it does mean that he's going to continue to speak out more and make a lot of his colleagues pretty uncomfortable as he does it.
9:28 pm
>> the idea that according to corker nearly every senate republican agrees with him. >> right. >> i don't know if it's terrifying -- it's stunning. >> it's revealing is what it is. i was so struck by that part of the conversation too. and what he said was, now, if you print that, jonathan, and you go and ask them, some of them will say no, no, no, that's not true, but basically the majority of our caucus will say that. but they actually are with me. i mean, that is inviting the press corps next week when the senate is back in session to ask all 52 republican senators, really, folks, do you not agree with senator corker or are you just saying that for public consumption? because all of us who work in washington have had conversation privately with them and they roll their pies at president trump -- >> they're not going to say it. >> right. because those who have to face the voters again are facing a primary electorate, either 2018
9:29 pm
or 2020 where most of the conservatives are still with this president zoe they have to guard what they say publicly. >> the message to a lot of them the president's loyalty only goes so far. >> right. the president is loyal to himself and to his voters, and that is exactly what his former senior adviser, steve bannon is now trying to do on the outside. he's going to run candidates against 15 incumbents who are republican because what he wants are trump supporters, not the establishment republicans who are in the senate, who don't like the president. bob corker just told us that and we already knew that, but he said it out loud. >> amazing. incredible reporting. thanks so much. next what drives the president to carry a grudge so far and for so long even if it hurts him or his agenda. we'll ask the man who wrote the art of the deal as well as magy haberman who has a remarkable talent forgetting the president to talk. ue psoriasis,... ...isn't it time to let the real you shine through?
9:30 pm
maybe it's time for otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months,... ...with reduced redness,... ...thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has... ...no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. otezla may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. tell your doctor if these occur. otezla is associated with an increased... ...risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have... ...a history of depression... ...or suicidal thoughts,... ...or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla... ...reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. other side effects include upper... ...respiratory tract infection and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take... ...and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you.
9:31 pm
witness katy perry. witness katy perry become a legal witness. witness katy perry and left shark. or a card shark. grandma? witness katy perry work. witness katy perry firework. witness katy perry swish.
9:32 pm
witness katy perry... aaaaaaw look at that dog! katy perry: with music videos and behind the scenes footage, xfinity lets you witness all things me. these make cleaning between myi love easy.sy. gum brand for healthy gums. soft picks, proxabrush cleaners, flossers. gum brand. a president who seemingly cannot resist slapping someone down on twitter. a president who can't let a personal perceived slight go. it sounds like something no one has seen before except tony schwartz has. he wrote art of the deal. he's known donald trump for
9:33 pm
decades. also with me maggie haberman. >> maggie, the president does seem to have the habit particularly on weekends of getting on the twitter machine and going for it. >> yeah. it's usually times when he's isolated either by himself in the residence or whatever reason or if he's at work, but when there are fewer people around, fewer activities. in this case it's not clear precisely what set him off, but most people in the west wing think it was some combination of watching fox news on sunday where there was some reference to corker and tillerson and this was a front page "washington post" story about the budget, which corker has also been involved with. but it can be almost anything, as you know. he can have a sidebar with someone and something sets him off. there are all these strategies that have gone into place over nine months to figure out the bess way to manage him. i think that john kelly has come up with some. even when he controls the inputs and information throw you can't
9:34 pm
control everything. >> corker said there isn't a strategy of with trump he's going to play the mad man and everybody else is the straight guy, that it's not the good cop bad cop strategy. it's just the way -- it's impulsive. do you think he -- that he needs to distract from things that aren't working out by tweeting about the nfl or whatever it is or do you think it's purely impulsive real time or shack test of what's happening in his head? >> the latter. i do think that it's a very clear neuro chemical thing that's going on. so when he is calm and relaxed like all of us, i know you were out meditating this weekend. >> yes. >> when he's in that state, he's not going to be as reactive. he's not going to be as impulsive. as soon as he starts to fela tacked, sools he starts to feel a threat, then he moves from the prefrontal cortex into the amygdala and relax. he's emotional.
9:35 pm
what happens in that state you're ability to thinkologicel shuts down. so he's no longer thinking. he's just spopding as if he were under -- literally his life were under attack. >> which does sort of back up what corker has been saying, that it's these other people around him, that corker has confidence in, you know, in mattis and kelly and mcmaster and sort of, i mean, for lack of a better term adults. >> what was remarkable about corker was not that someone was saying this. because we have heard people saying this in washington for months now. what was amazing was that you had a sitting senator, prominent member of the president's own party saying this out loud, saying it on the record. and he just sort of laid bare everything that you hear privately for a very long time from members of congressional leadership on both sides. it is true that there is a sense of in washington people sort of protecting the republic from the president.
9:36 pm
i think some of the president's advisers take great issue with that, but it is clear that there is not some, to your point -- there has been this big debate about whether there's a grander strategy or not. there's not a master plan. he's surviving certain increments of time. >> how did he deal with those impulses? was it getting on the phone. >> yeah, absolute. he got on the phone and rant and raved. he got off the phone and rant and raved some mother. i think there's a bigger issue here. i think the issue raised by corker's last comment which is autos in an imminent world war three is not to be triefld with. he is sitting there with the capacity to move -- to press that nuclear code. >> he didn't say imminent. i think he said leetding -- >> i'm going to say imminent because of the very reason we were just discussing which is as the circle closes on trump, as he feels under more threat, the
9:37 pm
need to react, the likelihood that he's in that reactive fight other flight state rises and his ability to react rationally is higher than it's ever been. that's why we need to understand. that's why this book, you know, of these 27 psychiatrists, the dangerous case is so critical because it really gives you a sense of what's going on inside the brain of this guy. >> what's interesting too about twitter is for all of kellyanne conway, it is the only time, i think, in presidential history that we have a minute to minute, instant look into what is in the president's head. usually presidents are completely in a bubble and for better or worse, you know, protected, not just physically but, you know, their impulses are protected. it's not until the nixon tapes
9:38 pm
come out later that you hear the rantings and raifgz. with president trump it's real time. >> this is my colleague peter baker's point repeatedly. essentially it's like having the nixon tapes live. there are a lot of really good arguments about why this president or any president should not be expressing themselves on twitter this way unfettered. but for those of us who are in this business for the general public i would argue there is a real service to this. there are also serious down sides in terms of other people not understanding how to read him in terms of -- look, what corker said is true in terms of what he believes, in terms of what some of his colleagues believe. there's a danger in what corker said too. a lot of this comes down to how the rest of the world is trying to figure out donald trump. and so people have invested a lot in the idea that there must be some grand plan here because without that there's a loet of chaos that scarce people. but the reality is you still get to see where he is at any given
9:39 pm
moment. >> one of the things also that corker said, he said i don't know why the president tweets out things that are not true. you know he does it. everyone knows he does it. but he does. i mean, it's certainly the kind of thing that it's one thing for him to have done it as a businessman to just make up stuff, but it's a different level, obviously, you would think as president. >> i just think that when he's in that aroused state, when he's feeling under threat, he makes no distinction between true and not true. in that moment he believes it's true. you take what he said about corker, and it's almost exactly the reverse is true. but in that moment he's saying to himself this guy, he wouldn't listen to me. you know, he didn't get it. so he absolutely believed it in that moment and it doesn't matter because he must mobilize all resources necessary to fight off the enemy in that moment. so that's what's scary is that he experiences the world as a
9:40 pm
global threat to him. meanwhile, he's hold us -- and i really believe this. he is holding america hostage right now. he's holding it hostage to his own impulse sift and we know that if it goes this way or it goes that way, the consequences could be literally millions of deaths. >> tony scharts, appreciate it. up next, another white supremacist rally in charlottesville this past weekend. one of the outrageous theories that you'll hear about, who organized the rally. we're telling you which sitting member in congress, someone actually in congress right now is pushing it.
9:41 pm
9:42 pm
9:43 pm
white nationalists marched yet again this past weekend at charlottesville, virginia. once again chants of you will not replace us. last time it was jews will not replace us. torch lit galley. smaerl than the one in august. heather hire was killed when a man plowed his vehicle into a crowd. there's something else that caught our eye when it posted this last friday. it's the claim that the august protest, the one that killed
9:44 pm
mishigher was some sort of left wing plot. now who might say something so offensive and disgusting as that? some shock jock radio personality maybe? no. an elected representative who is serving right now in congress. two term arizona congressman paul gosarment here is what he said. >> let's not get the pepper that actually started the rally. it's come to our attention that this is a person from occupy wall street that was an obama sympathier. so wait a minute. be careful where you start taking these people to and look at the background. george soros is one of those people. who is he? i think he's from hungary. i think he's jewish and turned his own people into the nazis. >> do you think george soros funded the neo-nazis who marched in charlottesville. >> it would be interesting to find out. >> again, that was republican
9:45 pm
arizona congressman paul gosar. this man, keeping him honest. does he have proof? no, nothing. in other words, it's a false flag. he's spreading a conspiracy theory. we asked congressman gosar to come on the program tonight. his office declined. we got no reply. these theories were first spread by radio talk show host alan jones. he also says he became disenchanted with the obama administration and in addition has spent time on youtube railing against what he called white general side. as for billionaire investor george soros, a spokesman for his foundation issued a statement george soros survived the occupation of hungary and has spent his life supporting efforts to ensure that such
9:46 pm
terrifying authoritarianism never takes root again. he did not collaborate with nazis. he did not help round up people. he did not consequence skate anybody's property. does it make any -- i mean, when this congressman says that to you, you were at the original rally. does it make any sense to you what he's saying? >> oh, no, of course not. some of the people involved in that rally have track records going back five or ten years. the none profits are available online. you can look at who is funding them. they absolutely believe what they say. and i presented that to him. i said i've talked to these people. they don't sound like leftists. he just smirked at me. >> the idea also the way the congressman was saying, oh, we're learning this or we're finding this out as if it's the full weight of his offers or the u.s. congress when in fact it seems like he's just getting stuff from alex jones. >> that seems to be where the
9:47 pm
news is coming from, alex jones claims to have sources all throughout the government, but gorge soros did not fund these people. what he's saying is not true. >> just to be clear, the point of your interview with him, it wasn't even about charlottesville, right? >> no. >> he just brought this up. >> right. yeah. we were interviewing him about a constituent who is suing him for blocking her on facebook. it's an interesting first amendment case and we asked him why block these people. he tried to draw a line between the attempted assassination of steve scalise and hateful conversations on facebook. and he kept bringing up antifa. and i was like antifa is in the news because of a white supremacist rally and that's when he launched into this. >> have you seen any republican congress men speaking out against this. >> no, i have not. >> no one is saying this is absurd, offensive. >> nothing that i've seen. another congressman, dana roar
9:48 pm
backer has accused the protesters there of being civil war -- >> it's great to have you on again. thanks very much. >> when we come back, a dust up between first lady melania trump and the president's first wife evana. even for this white house this is a bizarre turn of events. trg to get pregnant. new one-a-day couples pack gives you both nutritional support you may need. for her to prepare for a healthy baby and for him to support healthy sperm. be in it together.
9:49 pm
america's small business owners. and here's to the heroes behind the heroes, who use their expertise to keep those businesses covered. and here's to the heroes behind the heroes behind the heroes, who brought us delicious gyros. actually, the gyro hero owns vero's gyros, so he should have been with those first heroes. ha ha! that's better. so, to recap -- small business owners are heroes,
9:50 pm
and our heroes help heroes be heroes when they're not eating gyros delivered by -- ah, you know what i mean. but he hasoke up wwork to do.in. so he took aleve. if he'd taken tylenol, he'd be stopping for more pills right now. only aleve has the strength to stop tough pain for up to 12 hours with just one pill. aleve. all day strong.
9:51 pm
the energy conscious whopeople among usle? say small actions can add up to something... humongous.
9:52 pm
a little thing here. a little thing there. starts to feel like a badge maybe millions can wear. who are all these caretakers, advocates too? turns out, it's californians it's me and it's you. don't stop now, it's easy to add to the routine. join energy upgrade california and do your thing. it's an argument that ended >> it's an argument that would seem right at home on real housewives of washington, except that end ed seasons ago. they are embroiled in a spat after the first wife ivana called herself the first lady in an interview today. melania trump felt moved to put out a statement of her own. just as a reminder, this actually happened. randi kaye broke this down. >> reporter: the shot across the bow came from ivana trump on good morning america this morning.
9:53 pm
>> i have the direct number to white house but don't want to call him there because melania is there, and i don't want to cause any jealousy because i'm the first trump, i'm the first lady. >> reporter: as you might imagine, that didn't sit very well with the first lady. first lady melania trump fired back through her spokesperson. mrs. trump has made the white house a home for baron and the president. she loves living in washington, d.c., and is honored by her role as first lady of the united states. she plans to use her title and role to help children, not sell books. the statement went on to say, there is clearly no substance to this statement from an ex. this is unfortunately only attention-seeking and self-serving noise. that statement certainly a different tone than we heard from melania trump back in 2005.
9:54 pm
>> do you know his ex's? >> yes. >> do you get along with them? >> i don't see them much. we don't see them. >> reporter: ivana trump and donald trump met four decades ago and were married eight months later. she's the mother of the president's three eldest children. donald jr., ivanka and eric. the two divorced after the future president began an affair with marla maples who would later become his second wife. over the weekend, ivana told cbs she doesn't speak to marla maples but that she gets along with melania trump, explaining her reasoning this way. >> ivana is nobody and melania is first lady. >> reporter: first lead, a title ivana took for herself just 24 hours later during her other network interview. ivana's shot at first lady ended when her marriage to donald trump ended but, as she tells it, she did have a chance at an
9:55 pm
ambassadorship. >> i was just offered to be american ambassador to check republican. donald told me, if you want it, i'll give it to you. but i like my freedom. why would i go and say bye-bye to miami in winter and bye-bye to spring and fall in new york? i have a perfect life. >> the perfect life, far from the east wing of the white house. randi kaye, cnn, new york. >> so to really understand what is going on here, i had to call in reinforcements. my friend abandy cohen, who is here. here's part of that conversation. >> i was watching this play out today and i just thought, you know what, i would like to be -- i'm here on cnn, open invitation to the first lady, to the honorary first lady, ivana trump. i would like to get marla maples in there.
9:56 pm
i think she maybe has some unresolved issues, and i feel it would be good to have ivanka trump there as well. i would set up two couches, get this thing going and put me in the game. i can do this. >> more of my conversation with andy at the 9:00 hour, including tips from andy's "housewives playbook". up next the fight between the president and a powerful republican sitting senator who says the president is putting the country at risk of world war iii. knowing where you stand. it's never been easier. except when it comes to your retirement plan. but at fidelity, we're making retirement planning clearer. and it all starts with getting your fidelity retirement score. in 60 seconds, you'll know where you stand. and together, we'll help you make decisions for your plan... to keep you on track. ♪ time to think of your future it's your retirement. know where you stand.
9:57 pm
♪ time to think of your future reminds me of how geico hasd been saving people money for over 75 years. hey, big guy! come on in! let me guess your weight! win a prize! sure, why not. 12 ounces! sorry, mate. four ounces. i've been taking the stairs lately. you win, big guy. sorry, 'scuse me! oh, he looks so much more real on tv. yeah... over 75 years of savings and service. get your rate quote today.
9:58 pm
advil liqui-gels minis. our first concentrated pill that rushes powerful relief. a small new size that's fast, cause it's liquid. woohoo! you'll ask, what pain? new advil liqui-gels minis. t-mobile's unlimited now includes netflix on us. that's right. netflix on us. get 4 unlimited lines for just $40 bucks each. taxes and fees included. and now netflix included. so go ahead. binge on us. another reason why t-mobile is america's best unlimited network.
9:59 pm
whyou're not thinking clearly, so they called the fire department for us. i could hear crackling in the walls. my mind went totally blank. all i remember saying was, "my boyfriend's beating me" and she took it from there. and all of this occurred in four minutes or less.
10:00 pm
i am grateful we all made it out safely. people you don't know care about you. it's kind of one of those things where you can't even thank somebody. to protect what you love, call 1-800-adt-cares the president wages open warfare on a powerful republican senator. the senator says he could be putting the country on the path to world war iii. the president launching a tweet, and a white house official saying he is not through yet with senator bob corker, chairman of the senate foreign relations committee. better known as a republican vote he needs on tax reform, immigration, health care, you name it. senator corker said what he said to the "new york times." he all but called the president unfit for office, comparing the white house, in a tweet yesterday, to an adult day care. the fact that he's speaking out says a lot about where we are these days. the president's inability to let go also says a lot. how's the white house dealing with this? what's been their reaction since the "new york times" article? >> reporter: anderson, as you pointed out, white house