Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  November 17, 2017 12:00pm-1:00pm PST

12:00 pm
>> i agree with your friend and mine that says really all that islam has given us is oil and dead bodies over the last millenia and a half. and they are not our friends. they are not our friends. >> all right. you, sir, you published this. within 24 hours he resigned. >> yes, we published it yesterday at about 2:00 p.m. they basically gave a comment where he said even though these comments were as recent as 2016, he said this doesn't reflect my current thinking. i've changed since i joined the administration. but, you know, by the time i got home last night, i was eating pizza, i looked, and i saw someone report that he had resigned. and we confirmed that shortly after. >> here's his statement that i guess you all got. and so he's resigned. your k file investigation
12:01 pm
revealed he was hired by john kelly, right, when he home dhs, now president trump chief of staff. does this resignation any potential blow back from the white house? >> we didn't get any comment from the white house. initially appointed by trump to work at dhs, then it seems kelly promoted him to the broader more important position in about march. and the white house has not responded to any questions about it. >> okay. thank you so much. appreciate it. >> top of the hour here as we continue on. you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. we are waiting for the white house daily briefing to begin. lots to talk about on this friday afternoon. the administration will likely be asked to explain, perhaps what we were just discussing is one question, but certainly explain the whopping double standard the president dropped on himself strie a twitter while he has stayed silent on whether alabama candidate ray moore should get out of the race after
12:02 pm
allegations of sex abuse. the president blasted al franken. franken has apologized to this radio anchor after she a cuesed him of groping and forcing her to kiss him during this uso to your back in 2006. president trump spoke directly to this photo right here of al franken, this was as we mentioned in '06 as private citizen, but clearly doing something no man should do when a woman is asleep. now here is the tweet from the president of the united states. the al frankenstein picture is really bad. speaks 1,000 words. where do his hands go in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 while she sleeps? now, the president has placed himself with these tweets in the exact position he's been trying to avoid according to a source, under more scrutiny for the
12:03 pm
allegations made against him during his campaign. >> he was grabbing my breasts and trying to turn me towards him, and kissing me, and then after a bit that's when his hands started going, i was wearing a skirt, tan his stands started going towards my knee, and up my skirt. and that's when i said i don't need this. and i got up. >> cnn white house correspondent sara murray in the briefing room. remind us what the reaction has been from the white house and president choosing to go after franken and staying mum on moore. >> quite a disparity between his response, talking about allegations against a democrat senator, against a republican senate hopeful. earlier today kellyanne conway adviser to the president was on television and dismissed the ray moore as old news saying that's
12:04 pm
why the president was not weighing in on those but was tweeting about al twrang in. but the notion that it's old news ignores the fact there is still an election. alabama voters still have to decide who their next senator is going to be. to that end sources tell us mitch mcconnell is preparing a memo for the white house about options going forward in the alabama senate race. one administration official say they expect one of those options could be to try to press the alabama governor to delay the election. that is unclear whether trump would do. while he's been pretty mum on ray moore. sarah huckabee sanders issued a statement we don't want to put the scale on this. but you can bet she will get many more questions about this today. >> we will hear her and see her momentarily take it live. thank you so much for that. we have senior analyst and
12:05 pm
political analyst here as well congressional reporter for the "washington post." so great to see both you. and mark, to you first, listen we've been talking about tt hypocritical president, right. the fact that he says one thing on al franken and not at all on ray moore. how do they not say anything on ray moore today? >> well, a couple things. one is not only is he hypocritical but go to the straight topic of honesty. if the president is being honest. he was presidented he was president he w he w he was prrks pressed by reporters. whenever president is traveling, we know he's basically traveling with the full compliment of the white house. if his aides did not tell him
12:06 pm
when this was happening, they would be negligent in their jobs. not hoenl thonly that, he refer to a statement by sarah huckabee sanders, again not from president trump. so as you say when he weighs in on al franken, there is a double standard, where he is going after one person, but yet stepping back for political reasons, not going after another. and that in itself is very dishonest from the president. >> i mean, even the tweet, we can talk about the juvenile nature of calling him frankenstein, albeit misspelled, and that sort of thing and taking it to that level. but, again, is it because you think al franken is a democrat? is it political? is it because he apologized? why do you think he can jump in on that and not ray moore? >> well, i can't speak for what
12:07 pm
the president's thought process was directly. but it does seem many republicans were jumping on this as a way of saying, ha-ha, you too. the gop has been under the gun with these allegations with ray moore. before that it was about president trump. it's been an issue where democrats have been trying to do high moral ground, this isn't acceptable, then a democrat ends up in pretty much the same boat. so it's almost like you are seeing the gop including the president just this burst of relief that they have somebody to point the finger across the aisle at. clearly this is not one party or another. sexual harassment and a salt does not know any political limitations. >> of course. >> but it is rather -- the president does not seem to be thinking stre much beyond seeing franken actions in these stories when he makes those tweets because it's very transparent. no one has forgotten a year ago against the president.
12:08 pm
>> what he has just tweeted about al franken further spot lights what everyone was talking about a year ago. >> so it's a major blind spot, basically for him to think that they wouldn't be readily a parent. that, you know, the person who is throwing the stones is in ha glass house. everybody knows that. >> brooke, if i could just add to this. karen is absolutely right. sexual harassment, any kind of harassment is not be lined to politics, or it is be lined to a politics. it's not being a republican or democrat. the different between mitch mcconnell in the senate and donald trump is that mitch mcconnell when he learned what had happened immediately condemned the actions of ray moore and has continued to do so. it has been very uncomfortable for him. puts him in a bad situation. donald trump hasn't done that at all. and perhaps the reason why t as you have reported and gotten this information the other night, is he doesn't have the moral high ground right now. dozen woman have accuse ds him
12:09 pm
of doing the same thing, which to your point of the juvenileness of how he wrote the tweet this morning. yes, al franken that picture is very damming as was the access hollywood video we heard during the cam page. >> i'm left wondering, we replayed the access hollywood last hour, and we do need to talk about the president here as the allegations, right, allel women who came forward, and i'm just wondering, and again we can't climb into the hearts and feelings of these women, but i am wondering, we have to pay attention. let's go to the white house. sarah huckabee sanders. >> good afternoon. >> good afternoon. >> yesterday momentum continued to build behind our plan to deliver massive tax relief and job creation for the american people. the house passed the tax cuts and jobs act and the senate finance committee passed companion tax reform bill. these were important moments as
12:10 pm
we move closer to vote. in recent we've heard from reenreen entrepreneurs and families. in pennsylvania said our lan will be incredible for me and other fixed income retirees, end quote, because tax relief is targeted at the middle class. in ohio, christina port, a small business owner who raised twins as single mother while launching her company says increase in child tax credit would help working mothers. also said simplifying the complex tax code would ease the burden on entrepreneurs and devote more of their time growing their businesses rather than wrestling with taxes. in state after state, we have heard how our plan will improve the lives of hard working americans. optimism is many coulding back because with this tax plan come bind with president's measures, americans feel their goals are
12:11 pm
attainable. reminder of the one of the things that made our country unique to begin with. future for their lives and children and make it a re-a that's why it's called the american dream. and this tax plan will make it more attainable for more of our people than ever before. but for this to happen we need economic growth that makes it possible for businesses to create jobs tan raise wages. so to give some perspective on how our tax plan will do that i've asked us to join us in the briefing. kevin will say a few words and then take some questions specific to this topic. and as always i'll come back up to take the rest of your questions after that. which i'm sure will all be on tax reform. so with that, i'll turn it over to kevin. >> thanks, sara. thanks, it's a pleasure to be here and see some familiar faces. last week, i had the honor of chairing the economic policy committee meeting in paris. and the economic policy committee is one of the oldest
12:12 pm
committees and brings together people like chairmans from countries around the oecd. and at the meeting they were going through the staff recommendations of the oecd for creating economic growth in countries around the world. and the three main points the staff recommendations were tax reform, infrastructure, and deregulation, that if the government pursues those things, then they can produce more economic growth. in fact, there was widespread a claim for the president's approach towards corporate taxation in particular, because they have been calling for us to reform our corporate tax code for almost a decade. and so the idea right now that this corporate tax is close to the finish line is celebrated not only by us in the white house but people around the world, the highest corporate tax on earth, elsewhere, is bad not only for us but the world economy, because vibrant u.s. economy is good even for our
12:13 pm
friends in the oecd. with that, i'm pleased to see the house ways and means committee, and the house passed this bill and out of the finance committee and look forward to the senate moving forward right after the thanksgiving break. and i guess i'm not good at this i don't know what the protocol is but i'll start in the front row. >> perfect. >> yeah, that's right. i'm just an economist. >> kevin, i know there is political component. six senators on the hill including ron johnston saying they can't support the bill in this form. we can only afford to lose 2. are you confident you can get this passed through the senate? or could the president go like the obamacare and loses? >> there is a joke, those who can count and those who can't. and it takes a while for that one to sink in. the fact is the president has supported from the beginning
12:14 pm
regular order. because he doesn't think that we have to wait until the thing becomes law to learn what's in it. that the right thing to do is expose the bills to scrutiny and debate. and senator johnston i met with him yesterday in his office has serious concerns. and it's appropriate at this point in the legislative process to bring it forward. and i'm hopeful that people can work it out and everybody, including democrats will vote for it. so i'm not sure for etiquette for follow up. >> trickle down economics is going to work this time and hasn't worked before? >> so trickle down economics is something that, yeah, i guess people who criticize the idea that taxes effect the economy will use to characterize approaches like the ones we are pursuing. but i don't think those celebrated by the nonbipartisan staff, is voodoo economics tore
12:15 pm
controversial at all. the fact is countries around the world have cut their corporate rates and had broad based reforms on individual seen and seen economic growth result. i don't think there is anybody who thinks you'll get no growth or negative growth. but in everything i've seen you get growth, a lot of growth or sometimes if it's a closed economy model, a little growth. but you get positive growth out of this. and that growth will benefit workers. and let's talk about that. so right now the way u.s. form avoids u.s. tax is they locate activity, say, in a country like ireland instead of here. so if you build a plant in ireland then you can sell the stuff back into the u.s. and when you sell the stuff back in the u.s. increases trade deficit and doesn't do anything for american workers but it does increase the demand for eire itch workers and drive up their changes. so what he wants to do is 20 percent and guard rails so they can't trans fort. and if we do the people who benefit will be workers in the u.s. who have increased demand for their jobs.
12:16 pm
i said no follow ups if we can help it. i'll switch sides. sorry i don't know everybody's name. >> one of senator johnston concerns is this bill doesn't do enough for medium size and small business. can you talk about what it does do for medium size and small business? >> sure. and the fact is i want to remind everybody that tt president has really three main non-negotiables for this bill. 20% corporate tax rate. there is a big middle class tax cut. and that the bill simplify the tax code. and we believe after analyzing the progress on the hill, that both approaches sea the three main objectives. so the question then is moving forward what do they do about pass through, what do they do about this and that, and we at the white house don't want to get ahead of that process. the president supports regular order that's how bills become law. it's urgent that we get 20% rate for america's workers and urgent
12:17 pm
that tax cut and exactly when the small business things kick in and out are things that we are watching worked out on the hill. and encourage them to pursue regular order because they need to listen to everybody ab get the votes they need to make this law. i'll go to the lady right there. >> one of the major differences between the house and senate bill is the elimination of the nontaxable tuition waivers. so while they are trying to reconcile differences on that tax reform bill, what do you forsee which could potentially move this tax bill to a lot of young americans? >> that's the kind of detail we are letting congress work out. the fact that they are finding the coalitions they need to pass the bills in the house and senate and we support that process. we support regular order and the transparency that is leading to debate about issues about this. >> tlangs for beihanks for bein. one of the tel television pieces
12:18 pm
yesterday, you said a family could have a benefit of $4,000. that's a lot of money. >> can you walk us through that? >> sure. for those of you, and i see some nerdy looking people out there, that we have two ca reports that go through this in great detail. the fact is you can get to numbers like that four different ways. i won't try to do that now in the limited time we have. but the basic idea is that back when we increased our corporate tax rate from 34 to 35%, we were kind of in the middle of the pact of nations. skub consequently what happened countries around the world found when they cut the corporate tax their economic activity increased and welfare of their workers improved. then very often did it against since cut our corporate rate two or three times. and for economists what that does is gives you data to analyst. you can compare the experiences
12:19 pm
of those types of countries. peer review literature that looks about that, including a paper by german economic, and what we do is go through papers and have charts to say if this is true what wage do you get. and most of the action is well north of $4,000. that's where it comes from. i'll go in the middle with orange tie. >> one of the criticisms of the tax reform proposal is that the corporate tax rate is cut permanently. the individual tax rate phases out after ten years. why in your view that is that such a good idea? >> so the president supports permanent tax cuts for the middle class and permanent tax cuts for corporations. and that's certainly the objective of the planters of this tax bill. but there are also senate budget rules and reconciliation rules that are required to allow this bill to move forward with 51 votes. of course the hope for everybody is that when the time comes for these things to he can pier, that they get extended.
12:20 pm
as happens, you know, i might add, even for the top marginal rate when barack obapresident o into office, but even the tax rate at the beginning, which they must have done because if you increase the tax rate during the real session it would be harmful for the economy. so back then there was bipartisan support for the idea that you should not lift the top marginal rate, so there should be bipartisan support economic growth effects of bringing it down right now. i'll go back down into the middle there. >> hi, on american news. the two bills are different in that the house bill repeals or does away with the estate tax and the senate doesn't. and i know that was a big point for the administration. and vice president pence. do you think a final bill will include a repeal of it? >> again, that's one of the things that the senate and the house are working out. i know that the president very strongly favors the elimination
12:21 pm
of the death tax. and if that is in the final bill, i'm sure that he'll be happy about that. but he's listed his non-negotiables and those non-negotiables i cited at the beginning. i'll go back to the far back. >> i appreciate it. can you talk about this moment earlier in the week at the "wall street journal" gary cohn was on stage and moderator asked ceo if this passes who here will increase their investment? pan only a couple of hands went up in the room. gary cohn said why aren't more hands going up? >> can you answer that question? you would assume ceos are going to stay yes we are going to invest morph tax reform passes. is administration missing something? >> that's a great question. and i went on a little after gary cohn, when they asked that question, it's a hard question, there are bright lights, just like here, looked like half the hands went up.
12:22 pm
>> and i think if you go back and look they had time to think about it. but very often they survey ceo, if we change the tax code would you do anything, and they tend to answer no in surveys. but if you look at the hard evidence, imagine they don't, then they wouldn't do their fiduciary duty. and firms that did act rapidly would put them out of the business. so the point is it the hard evidence is that people do respond. in fact ks one of my very first papers i rote when i got out of the grad school is brook ings papers that we looked at the 1986 effects tax act. very large effects. >> gene sperling saying this tax plan costs $1.5 trillion and
12:23 pm
it's a deficit hole. this is in a tweet. just paraphrasing his tweet. he says basically doesn't justify that cost for 100 million households for tax increase. >> well, you know, i respect gene a great deal and consider him a friend and disagree with him. and i'm sure at some point we'll have a chance to talk about that. but here's the way i think about it and what i would say to gene if he was here. if you look at the joint tax committee score in the tenth year they say the tax bill cost about $170 billion. in you look at gop it's about $28 trillion. so the amount of deficit you are talking relative in the tenth year is it only .6%. doesn't take a whole lot of economic growth to cover that hole by the tenth year. so the idea now we have the highest corporate tax on earth generating almost no revenue because they avoid it by moving it it ireland. if we fix that and make america
12:24 pm
attractive, and blow a hole. it's not economically rational. and i know the score says what it says and i respect the professionals of that stf, but the fact is the oecd has a study that says the u.s. is on the wrong side. that we have such a high corporate tax rate we are chasing it offshore. so i think that's incorrect. >> i want to pick up where john right in front of me left off when he asked about the phase out on the individual side. you are an economist, however, the two answers that you gave were both political. one, there is it reconciliation rules, and, two, hopefully politics down the line solve it. like i mentioned you are an economist, so can you not make an economic argument why this is good? >> oh, is it good for things to expire? >> right. why this is good for the country as it stands right now to expire within 8 years or so. >> if you lower marginal tax
12:25 pm
rates, broaden the base, lower rates, give middle class a tax cut f you cut the corporate rate, if you do any of those things, they are positive for economic growth and less positive for growth if they expire. expensing is kind of a strange thing in the sense that if you have expense gs for a year, if you go back and look at u.s. history very often in recessions they'll put it in for a year. when it expires it could have a short run stimulus because people try to buy capital before it goes away. but for the most parliament permanent tax ruts are far -- permanent tax cuts are there. if you go back to the great recession, they even extended bush tax cuts at the top because they understood this. >> can i go back to you. >> i want to follow up on that. so if you made a value judgment to make the corporate tax cut permanent and make the individual tax cuts expire, even though you want all things to be
12:26 pm
permanent. what's the rational for having corporations have that urgency of knowing they don't have to worry about what's happening in washington while families are going to have to worry about what politicians do for six or seven years? >> sure, those are the kinds of things being worked out by congress senate and house rules can become law. and the non-negotiables for us are met in both bills and we consider that good news. but the choices that the senate has to make in order to acquire a coalition to make this law are choices that the senate has to make. and we don't want to get in front of that process. >> value one way or the other whether the corporate tax cuts. [ inaudible question ] >> i think tax cuts permanent of course will have larger positive effects. i'll give you the last one. >> kevin, you melded politics and economics here quite successfully. and i would ask you political and economic question. you talked about growth covering what the congressional office and joint committee said could
12:27 pm
be a deficit of half a million dollars. that is going to be measurable overtime. dynamic scoring or static scoring answers that question. and since it's on ts line of some of your undestieded republican senators, is this administration willing to commit to a review five years in to see if the growth models have held along your lines and the deficit aren't as large, or if they aren't to reassess these tax cuts in order not to blow a hole in the deficit? >> you know, i have not discussed with the president, i don't think sarah has what we are willing to commit to in terms of what we do five years from now. but let me talk about what we can be clear about today, which is that as the president came into office, you know, the president's opponents were saying 2% growth was inevitable. that we were stuck in secular stagnation. that the president's policies couldn't deliver 3% growth and it was a bad idea to assert it. we've had two quarters in a row of 3% growth.
12:28 pm
if you look at fourth quarter, this is about 3.2 as of yesterday. so it's saying that we are growing at 3%. if we take that momentum into next year and add a tax cut then we are quite confident that one should be able to expect sustained growth at that level or above. and with that i have to hand it back to sara. thanks for being so gracious with your questions. >> thank you. >> thank you, kevin. major, he's right, i haven't spoken to the president about that, but i do appreciate that you know that the president will still be here in five years. so i like that vote of confidence ens that you would know that we will be here to take that review and we'll be sure to raise that with them. >> thanks, sara. i have a nonray moore question for you. can you say definitively, i want to ask you about the lebanese prime minister hariri, can you say he hasn't been held hostage by the saudis?
12:29 pm
>> i'm not sure. that would be something i would check on and get back to you. i don't have any further comment beyond that on this point. and i would refer you to the state department on specifics on that. >> is it fair to investigate al franken and the allegation made by his accuser, is it also fair to investigate this president and the allegations of sexual misconduct made against him by more than a dozen women. >> look, i think this was covered pretty extensively during the campaign. we addressed that then. the american people i think spoke very loud and clear when they elected this president. >> how is this different? >> i think in one case specifically senator franken has admit td wrongdoing and the president has. i think that's a very clear distinction. >> so i want to revisit something we discussed yesterday. you said one of the ways that alabama voters might be able to figure out if these allegations against ray moore are true is in the court of law. that's a direct quote from you. there is no criminal means by
12:30 pm
which that could happen. so are you suggesting that ray moore sue the accusers in order to hash this out in court? >> that would be something that i would refer to him to make that decision. that's not something i would be table to advise him on. >> but is that what you meant? >> i said that's one option. one way to determine that process. but that would be a decision that he would have to make. certainly not one i'm going to make. >> bausz during the campaign, then candidate trump said after the election he would sue all the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct, and you from the podium have deemed all lies. he hasn't done that. why hasn't he done that? >> i haven't asked him that question. i'd have to ask him and let you know why he hasn't chosen to take that path. i'm simply stating that tease an option ray moore has on the table. jeff? >> some critics have said it was hypocritical of the people to tweet about al franken and not ray moore. >> he did weigh in on ray moore. he did it on a foreign trip in
12:31 pm
asia. i did it repeatedly yesterday. in fact 15 questions on that topic and only one on amp franken so to say the president hasn't weighed in is inaccurate and wrong. he weighed in if the allegations are true he should step aside. also weighed in when resources from state of alabama. simply inaccurate statement to make about the president. >> can you tell us whether the president believes the women who are making these allegations against ray moore? and would he be willing to ask the alabama governor to delay the election or take a step like that to try to intervene in this electoral process in alabama? >> the president certainly finds the allegations extremely troubling. as i stated yesterday h and he feels like it's up to the governor and the state, the people in the state of alabama to make a determination on whether or not they tee lay that election or whether or not they support and vote for ray moore.
12:32 pm
>> in light of the national discussion about the importance of taking these kinds of accusations seriously, i wanted to check, is it still the white house position that all the women who have accused the president of sexual misconduct are lying? >> the president has spoken about this multiple times throughout the campaign and has denied all of those allegations. blake? >> let me ask you about the pending potential at&t and time warmer merger. president had said on campaign trail back in 2016 he said it was a deal we will not approve in my administration because it's too much concentration of power in the hands of too few. does the president still feel that way? >> the president was asked about this a few days ago. maybe a week ago while we were on air force one. and i would prefer you back to those comments. april? >> sarah, is this an uncomfortable conversation about the sexual allegations for this white house be it al franken or ray moore? >> i think it's uncomfortable
12:33 pm
conversation for the country. i think this is something that is being discussed pretty widely. and we certainly think that it should be taken very seriously. and it's one of the reasons i stand up here to answer your questions every day. and will continue to do so and continue to address them. obviously, it's something that should be looked at. and i think it should be looked at widespread, not just in the political sphere, but in the business atmosphere and across the board in this country and something we certainly again take seriously. >> hillary clinton today about the president's past. and going back to that. she said look i worry about everything from his past because it tells you how he behaves in the present and in the future. what do you say to that as it relates to these allegations against the president? >> i think hillary clinton probably should have dealt with some of her own issues before an addressing this president. alex? >> two questions. one on taxes. a recent university poll said 61% of voters say republicans tax plan will benefit the
12:34 pm
wealthy. white house said this planning plan is working class tax cut. why the disconnect? then on immigration. >> let employme answer the firs question. >> we argued this tax plan helps all meernsz. that's the point of it. specifically our priority is facing americans, first the house or the senate. but at the same time, we want all americans to benefit by a growing economy and tax system that actually works for our country versus one that penalizes people. we are going to keep moving because we are tight. john? >> ask you the same thing i asked kevin. you have six republican senators who are seriously on the fence here. can you win enough over in order to pass this? and if the president gets snookered again by the senate, what's the reaction? >> we'll certainly are very confident that we'll get this package passed and we would love to see some of the democrats
12:35 pm
come on board and support this historic piece of legislation that we feel will it be one of the great legacies of this presidency. >> didn't get any democrats in the house, how does that go to the senate? >> we'll always hope. we'll hold out hope that democrats in the senate will put bipartisan politics a side and put the people of this country first. we haven't ruled it out. and pushing forward and confident we'll get it done. >> is it fair to say president? >> i think the american people won't be pleased because they'll lose out the most if this doesn't go forward. >> administration put out a disaster funding request for about $44 billion today. it's much less than what a number of different governors and officials in the various impacted territories and states have requested. can you explain why the number is so low compared to what the local officials say they need?
12:36 pm
>> i don't think $44 billion is a low amount. and my guess is if you ask any average citizen across this country wouldn't feel it's low. at this point texas hasn't put any in, we feel strongly they should except up and play a role with the federal government. we did a thorough assessment and that was completed and this was the number that we put forward to congress today. >> request forward in the future, specifically for puerto rico. >> yeah, absolutely. at this point the request that went in today roughly $44 billion primarily addresses texas and florida. those storms took place ahead of puerto rico and the assessment for puerto rico hasn't been completed yet. once that is done, we fully anticipate that there will be additional requests at that time. christen. >> thank you. steve bannon is sending a strong message to the establishment to back off of ray moore. is the president's allegiance to
12:37 pm
steve ban gonon in any way doin his response? he has allegiance to the people of this country and no one else. >> naukd. >> not that i'm aware of. >> i think the president is less concerned about the seat and more focused on ts policy and legislation we are pushing through right now like tax reform. >> in regards to that question regarding the supplemental request that president and administration has put forward, $44 billion. puerto rico has requested $94 billion. are they going to get somewhere along that order? i think half of the island is still without electricity. >> as i said we'll wait until that assessment is complete and make a determine fact at that point and see what the best path forward is. >> does the president -- >> i'm sorry. >> does the president notify -- >> john, i'm going to keep
12:38 pm
moving and try to be respectful of your kl eegs. >> colleagues. >> yesterday it was vetoed and ambassador haley said they cannot be trusted as a partner going forward in trying to solve the political situation in syria. does the president have any response to the veto, first, what is it the u.s. view going forward, how chemical weapons will be investigated and dealt with in syria? and is it the u.s. position now that russia cannot be a partner in trying to solve or do annex day political situation? >> i think the actions the president has taken specific to chemical weapons, i think she's shown his position on that. with strike in syria earlier this year. in terms of russia's veto, it's
12:39 pm
certainly not one we support. we do hope that moving forward they want to get on board hand work with us on this. but at the same time, this isn't something that we support their decision on. stephen? >> there has been some extraordinarily push back on elephant trophies and hunting in africa. can you shed some light on this. >> yeah, this is actually do to due to review, gone by career officials at the fish and wildlife service, that sam bzim had new conservation standards that allowed them to resume. a ban on tusk from all countries remains in place, but this was based on a study that started back to the previous administration. and done by career officials. >> darlene?
12:40 pm
>> senate tax bill has a tax break for corporate jets. how does that help the middle class? >> as kevin stated before, this administration has laid out the priorities that we want to see reflected in this legislation. we are going to continue to fight for those priorities and let's the legislative process work through. in terms of the specific pieces, that is something i would refer you to members of the house and senate on that. bull our focus is making sure these priorities are answered and met. we'll make this the last one. >> yesterday on jared kushner and the campaign emails, senate committee are asking for the emails in the russian investigation. today what's the white house reaction to those previously undisclosed emails? >> look, as i stayed they would put out a statement they did. and i would prefer you back to anything specific to that inquirery. thanks so much, guys, hope you have a happy friday tan good weekend. we'll see you on monday. >> all right. so still lots and lots of questions on sarah huckabee sanders on this friday afternoon as far as why won't president
12:41 pm
trump say more on the alabama senate candidate versus his tweet this morning on democratic senator al franken and hearing sarah huckabee sanders, let me bring you in on the discussion. mark, just first to you, she is saying ks listen the president talked about it on the asia trip, which by the way barely barely touched it. just looking at the transcript. saying she's addressed it. but they are saying we take the sexual harassment seriously but we know they were leaving for asia, questions arose on the trump accusers and basically called them liars. so i'm confused how they can pick and choose where to comment and who to believe. >> the white house is very good at doing facts, and very good at creating a lot of white noise and then stepping away from direct challenge. what we saw today is direct challenges regarding the ray moore and al franken situation. now, should the president weigh
12:42 pm
in on whether the united states senate should investigate al franken? absolutely. if he wants to that is his right. however, you are talking about the transcript over in asia, the president when asked a direct question, really deferred deferred answering it and said when we get back we will have more to say, or what have you. we can pull up the exact language. the fact of the matter is sarah huckabee sanders has weighed in on the part of the president. the president has not weighed in on this controversy. >> i have the transcript in front of me t there is a bit of i haven't gotten to see much. i don't watch my television. right now it's their word against his. and honestly i would have to look at it and see. so when sarah huckabee sanders says the president has addressed it. that was it. >> for somebody who says he doesn't watch much television and fake news, he's lying to you, absolutely. we all know he watches cable
12:43 pm
news and where he gets talking points specifically from fox notes and quite frankly put a tweet out when he got back from asia saying, all i could watch when i was in the philippines was cnn and their fake news. so clearly. >> that's right. >> he was watching television. >> all right. asked about the difference again, abby, asked about the difference between the donald trump accusers and al franken and ray moore, sarah huckabee sanders says senator franken has admitted wrongdoing and the president hasn't. that seems to be the delineation. is that fair? >> there is a big difference between those two cases in that franken is not trying to deny that it even happened. and the president and his aides are giving a blanket denial of the women that have come forward to accuse him of wrongdoing. but that being said it doesn't make those cases go away. it doesn't make them not exist. and i think sarah huckabee sanders also added that the american people spoke and that
12:44 pm
they elected the president. >> that's right. >> even after these allegations had come to light. and that is absolutely true. at the same time t right at this moment in american society, there is it a conversation happening about sexual abuse, sexual assault, and the president has not weighed in on that conversation at all. tan he hasn't addressed fully some of the allegations that have been raised against him. so they are different. but i think that it may not be that that's a reason for them not to respond. >> how is this not a hypocrisy to the president of the united states? >> well, senator franken did admit wrongdoing. i actually think he's to be commended. i thought he handled this about as flawlessly as he possibly could. again he said if the allegations are true about judge ploor, that he in fact should step down as the nominee for the republican party. so i think he has pretty well
12:45 pm
addressed it. >> that actually wasn't from him, it was a statement we heard it from sarah huckabee sanders. and again how is this not hypocrisy? >> in what way? again, senator franken admitted he had been wrongdoing, and apologized. and i don't know where the hypocrisy is? because one has admitted wrongdoing and one hasn't. >> where do you see this? >> bless your heart. but, look this is the height of hypocrisy on the part of the president of the united states. how can the white house press secretary standing at the podium presumably speaking for the president of the united states who has been accused, donald trump has been accused of sexual misconduct of being a sexual predator, how can she stand at the podium and if she's allegations are true ray moore he should step down. does the white house believe the president of the united states
12:46 pm
will tinder his resignation? this makes no sense to me. so again we have not heard directly from donald trump. we have muddied waters from this white house, and it's mainly because people in glass house k's not throw stones. >> andrew? >> well, i would say senator sanders is definitely my friend and i respect someone greatly. but again donald trump has never been convicted of these crimes and he says he's innocent. >> that's in ha court of law though. >> i'm sorry, senator? >> i love that you make me a senator today. that makes me feel great. >> it's samone. i was like is bernie around? >> once a senator, always a senator. >> i think it's in the court of law, that is true, innocent until proven guilty in the court of law in united states of america. what we are talking about addressing our sexual culture in
12:47 pm
this country. and we have put the onus on the belief on the victims. if the victims can prove this happened to them then the public can believe them. i'm so happy now the media and greater society has come around to say, well, actually if women are stepping up, not just women, because men have been victims of sigs eversexuality assault as well, if people are stepping up and saying this happened to them, have gut wrench real stories we must believe them. and that is the lens we should take to look at this. we have to examine our sexual culture and should not be on the own us of victims to prove something has happened to them. >> let me go back listening to your argument yes he admitted to it and apologized for it. and of course innocent it will proven guilty. so let's give you that. so do you approve of the president of the united states using, you know, this juvenile language regarding this current u.s. senator and these attacks
12:48 pm
on this issue of sexual assault? >> it's not how i would have handled it. and i really wanted more than anything to continue to push on trying to get this tax bill passed where we see more and more republicans not doing what people elected them to do. but he has a different way of connecting with folks in the media than i do and the folks on twitter. >> a different way. the al frank picture is really bad. this is the president. . silence. >> i think the bigger question is when you talk about sexual harassment why haven't they come forward before now? why now would be the big question for you. >> i want to stop right there because that is dangerous. you can't -- as a person that also has a me too story i commend women with these me too stories have been victims of
12:49 pm
sexuality assault, sexual micro aggressions, rape, coming forward and talking about it. it is very hard to know people will pick you a part. that you could be persecuted. that people are going to look at not just you but your family. so we should not be ever asking the question why are people coming forward now. we should be thankful they have the courage to speak their truth and share this this with the word so we can change the system. so i don't want to hear any conversations about why now. the question really needs to be why has ray moore not dealt with his issues, okay, and why are rears across the country defending him, protecting him, and trying to shift and twist the conversation so it makes him look better. >> to be fair, a lot of republicans are saying no matter what you should bow out and leave the race. and again we heard from his wife, kayla moore standing by him denying, denying, denying. >> one thing lost in this
12:50 pm
briefing ws a question about why the president after having threatened to sue the 12 women accusers who accused him of sexual assault or being sarah huckabee sanders said, you know, i don't know. i'll have to get back to you. i do hope the white house press corps presses her on monday and says what is the answer to that? >> let me thank all of you, and abby, a belated welcome to the cnn family as a big white house correspondent. congratulations to you. thank you all so very much here. wove got some breaking news out of the state department. this major admission about the state of morale within the agency. still a lot of jobs not filled. what the spokeswoman has just said regarding that. a live report coming up next.
12:51 pm
paying less for my medicare? i'm open to that. lower premiums? extra benefits? it's open enrollment. time to open the laptop... ...and compare medicare health plans. why? because plans change, so can your health needs. so, be open-minded. look at everything-like prescription drug plans... and medicare advantage plans from private insurers. use the tools at medicare.gov. or call 1-800-medicare. open to something better? start today. ♪ here is the breaking news from the state department. during their briefing moments ago, spokeswoman acknowledged that there is a morale deficit at the agency.
12:52 pm
>> i hope they won't give up. i know that times may seem tough right now. i know that the headlines coming out of the state department do not look good, do not look promises. we have a lot of work to do here at the state department, from the crises that unfold in burma right now, to what is going on in iraq and the good defeating of isis that we are doing, we have so much work that has left to be done to what is happening in cambodia right now. their work, i can just say from a personal point of view is valued, is needed. we need the foreign service officers to keep doing what they have committed their lives to do. i hope that they will stay on. it breaks my heart to hear that some feel they aren't wanted or aren't needed or aren't appreciated. if i can get somebody to convey that more convincingly than i can, i would love to do that. >> let me bring in cnn global affairs correspondent elise labbot. elise, here you have the
12:53 pm
spokeswoman acknowledging this bad morale and saying, what, hang in there? >> listen, brooke, you've seen the stories over the last couple of days. this is maybe the second or third wave of stories about dissatisfaction at the state department here. concern on capitol hill about secretary of state rex tillerson's management practices, that a lot of positions aren't being filled. the latest wave was prompted by this letter by the head of the american foreign service association, the union that represents the foreign service, that senior career services officers are leaving in droves. now it -- the numbers don't suggest a mass exodus, but as heather said, there is a real morale problem here at the state department. the career foreign service, these longtime diplomats that have served republican and democratic administrations, they don't feel that their expertise is really valued. and that goes across the
12:54 pm
administration. it's really felt here at the state department. now when secretary tillerson goes across the world and talks to the embassies, he's always telling those employees that there are 25,000 worldwide, your work is valued. but here in washington, here in the billing i think there is a morale problem that the state department is starting to realize that they need to address and they're trying to do that. >> saying it out loud at the state department briefing. elise, thank you very much. for me in washington. i want to get to a major update now to this harrowing story that cnn first reported on this past week. our crew traveled into libya to track down a dark secret and they found it. our cameras were rolling as migrants were auctioned off in a slave trade. if you haven't seen it, here is just a short clip. >> reporter: were ushed in to one of two auctions happening on this same night. crouched at the back of the yard, a floodlight obscuring much of the scene. one by one men are brought out as the bidding begins. 400.
12:55 pm
500. 550. 600. 650. 700. very quickly it's over. >> nima elbagir is live for us now from london, our cnn senior international correspondent. let me just say, when we were watching this, you could have heard a pin drop watching the emotion, the fact that this is happening on this planet and that you brought it to light, risking all of your lives to share this story on cnn. what has happened, nima, since you captured those moments? >> reporter: well, we have had the most extraordinary international response, brooke. you showed it on the show. other cnn programs have also been pushing it out and people have responded across the world. and that seems to have raised the profile of this to the
12:56 pm
extent that now the libyan authorities have formally opened an investigation and they say their priorities are not only to bring these criminals to justice, but also to try to track down the men that you saw auctioned off there. and i think really what we the team would love to get across, that this isn't just about the libyan authority, the libyan authorities, it's great that there is willing, but in practice the actual -- the scope of their authority is limited. this is about making sure that the international community steps in and does what it needs to do. so the more people out there continuing to share, continuing to watch this and we are so grateful to you, brooke, for giving this such a high profile. honestly, it's been extraordinary to watch. >> i deserve no thanks. it is all to you and your crew. nima, thank you so much for extraordinary journalism and shining a light on part of the world that needed it to badly. thank you so much. if you haven't seen herpes, it's on cnn.com. thank you. we do have some news just in
12:57 pm
here. breaking news on the russia investigation and another major player getting ready to talk to special counsel robert mueller. that is coming up.
12:58 pm
just in, special counsel robert mueller in talks with the lawyer for the british publicist who set up those infamous-history that infamous trump tower meeting between a russia lawyer and donald trump jr. among others. investigators, we are told, want rob goldstone come to the united states. no date has been set.
12:59 pm
just to refresh your memory here, goldstone offered trump jr. a meeting with a, quote, russian government attorney and now they want to talk to him. all right. i'm brooke baldwin. we're going to send it to washington here. that's going to do it for me. have wonderful weekends please stay here. "the lead" with jake tapper starts now. thanks, brooke. the president says the al franken photo is really bad. it is. so is that "access hollywood" tape. "the lead" starts right now. the hypocrisy seems to know no end as president trump fires off a hastily spelled tweet slamming senator al franken as the president's silence on roy moore and his own sexual assault accusers remains rather deafening. standing by her man. roy moore's wife says he will not drop out despite a growing list of women accusing him of creepy and unwanted and potential illegal behavior when they were in high school.
1:00 pm
hey, how many men in your 30s do you know call high schools and track down girl in trig glass? plus, glaring omission. senators now saying the president's son-in-law and top adviser jared kushner owes this e-mails on wikileaks and russian backdoor channels, documents he just happened to leave out of the pile. good afternoon, everyone. welcome to "the lead." i'm jake tapper. we begin with the politics lead today and the white house hammered this afternoon by questions about president trump's past alleged sexual misconduct. moments ago, press secretary sarah sanders suggested there is a distinction between al franken and the president because franken has admitted wrongdoing and the president has not. asked if there should be an investigation into the trump accusations, sanders said they've been addressed and the american people, quote, spoke loud and clear when they elected president trump. we're in the middle of a maelstrom