Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  May 23, 2018 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
i think they want a sign from kim that this is serious.
10:01 pm
he uses twitter to tweet them out to you. including to those who mean this country harm. under mining our nations traditions and norms in realtime. but what we have seen and heard from the president in the past five days maybe the biggest lie of all. repeatedly and with no facts to back him up, making the claim that the so called deep state spied on his campaign. he did it again today. >> when they look at the documents, i this i people will see a lot of bad things happened. i hope it's not so. if it is there's never been anything like it in the history of the country. if you look at clapper, he admitted they had spies in the campaign. yesterday. i hope it's not true but it
10:02 pm
lacks like it is. >> it's not true. it's a lie. james clapper the former director of national intelligence did not in any way admit to the false charge of spies in the trump campaign. he said the opposite. listen to what he told jake tapper today. >> did the intelligence community spy on president trump and the campaign. >> we did not. that is a distortion of what i said. i had an add version to the use of the term. i made that clear. the important thing is what is this all about? about trying to determine what the russians were doing. were they trying to began access and infiltrate a political campaign. it had nothing to do with spying on the campaign. it was about the russians. which is what we should be concerned about including president trump. >> there's the secretary of state. listen to what he said today. when asked if there was a so
10:03 pm
called deep state at the state department. >> do you believe there's a criminal depp state at the state department? >> i haven't seen the comments from the president. i don't believe there's a deep state at the state department. >> yet president trump doubles down on the baseless claim of spies. and a deep state. this is not just an angry president popping off. this a deliberate and coordinated effort to save his presidency. to cast doubt on the russian investigation by repeating a lie. repeating it every chance he gets. and that repetition is a key part of the strategy. if you hear him say the same thing over and over. it gets into your head. you may start to wonder if there's some truth to it. that's what the president and his allies want to put the question in the back of your mind. a strategy he used.
10:04 pm
since his false and racist birther claim that president obama was not born in this country. >> that was a lie. a lie he told for years. a lie he reportedly still clings to today. it served trumps purpose. he rose to prominence on it. do you think he regrets it? i doubt it. what lesson did he learn from it? i wonder. you may wonder. you may have been wondering through all of this why doesn't his own party stand up against this blatant disregard for the truth. it's telling that the few republicans who are speaking out against the president are leaving congress. like arizona senator jeff flake. ad his harvard law school commencement today, our presidency has been debased by a figure who has a bottom wills appetite for destruction and division. only a passing familiarity with
10:05 pm
how the constitution works. i do not think the founder could have anticipated the beauty of their invention might some day founder on the rocks of reality tv and the congress would be such willing polices to this calamity. very strong words. but this is not just about talk. this is about facts. facts do matter. the truth matters. and the truth is under daily assault from the president of the united states. and that is a crisis. that is the truth. we begin with breaking news. white house saying they are working on having two meetings. two classified briefings tomorrow. one the white house intel chairman devin nunes. over sight chairman and doj officials. the gang of eight. i want to get to the folks who are here.
10:06 pm
the gang of eight meeting. we heard it was going to be after. this is a separate meeting from your former colleagues. why not just have one briefing for everyone? >> i would have one briefing for everyone. i was chair of the house ethics committee. it operates in a similar way to the intelligence committee. everything is done secretly and quietly. i never would have met with witnesses, conducted any interviews or anything of substance on sensitive information without the minority members present with me. we should always have to work together in these matters. otherwise the other side will question the integrity of the investigation. it's a mistake to have a partisan only meeting. everybody should be brought? >> everybody wants to be on the same page. you have the president consistently putting out false information. the truth is going to survive.
10:07 pm
i wonder if it will survive this presidency? >> unfortunately i think donald trump strategy is all too effective. as you rightly said. i commend you for calling him out. more journalists need to do that. his strategy is working with the republican base. if you look at the polls the in your opinions are shocking. cnn had a poll showing that only 17% of republicans have confidence in bob muellerer's investigation and 71% of republicans think that donald trump is telling truth about russia. even though he has been caught in lie after lie. as you point pout. so this vat strategy of trying run down the special counsel. it's unfortunately what i see is it's working for donald trump. it's a threat to the democracy.
10:08 pm
but donald trump doesn't care about that. he cares about political survival. and he's helping to assure his police cal survive by convincing the republican base he is informant the victim of the imaginary deep state plot. >> everybody wants to be on the same page. why not have one bipartisan meeting. instead of two meetings back to back. >> this is not an impartial. this is a partisan hit job. designed to acquire information to help the president to defame investigators looking into his campaign. that's what devin nunes is all about. he has destroyed the reputation of the house intelligence committee and continues to destroy the reputation. his own reputation. as acting as partisan henchman for donald trump.
10:09 pm
>> they got pressured into having that. max just nailed it. he's out to do this to have a private meeting with the sort of his cocon speet tor on how to defend himself. getting help from people in congress leading the fight. i think there's a limit to how far the people can go on capitol hill. legislative immunity has a limit. if you start interfering with witnesses or disrupting the process in some way. these people can be charged with obstruction of justice. this is going to play later. if this is ever tried. the president will hear about his behavior and these meetings. >> i want to talk about again about the gaslighting that's going on.
10:10 pm
and what i said in the opening. especially about. >> that's the right word. >> you heard the president distort his words. it has a cost. here's more from clapper. >> what do you think when they suggest you committed a crime? >> i take um bridge of that. i haven't committed a crime. i was trying to explain my understanding of what the informant was doing. it wasn't spying on the campaign. i take exception to it. and i don't particularly want to dignify it by talking about it too much. >> that was a great answer. this president lives and breathes in conspiracy. and distorting the truth. and you watch that and realize he's attacking people who serve this country all their lives and attacking the broader institution as well. to what end? >> i don't know what end. clapper has a book out there now. he maybe trying to discredit it.
10:11 pm
i happen to share editors with clapper. i don't know him personally. i know the wonderful reports i had from the ed tr of what a fine man he was to work with. candid and open as he was putting together the story of a book he hadn't planned to write. and wrote it because of the way the presidency was won. >> the president is attacking james comey. watch this. >> i think james comey has a lot of problems. we're not under cutting, we're cleaning everything up. this was a terrible situation. what we're doing is we're cleaning everything up. it's so important. what i'm doing is a service to this country. i did a great service to this country by firing james comey. >> he says he's cleaning things up. but he's making a bigger mess and putting his own interest above the country. >> i have to say i agree. i'll tell you what, he had the
10:12 pm
right to fire james comey. when he fired james comey that got him a special prosecutor on his back. that was a mistake. i want to say something as a political matter for my republicans in the house especially. i have to tell you, they need to exercise serious over sight. if they didn't get the message in the election in western pennsylvania. where the republican candidate said he was going to be trumps wing man. he was trump before trump. voters wanted somebody to be a check on the president. in a safe trump district. i tell my colleagues they have to be serious about the article one powers. when there's a republican president. and we have to act that way otherwise we can end up in the minority. >> go ahead. >> the thing that jumps out at me from hearing this tirade from president trump against the deep at a time. he doesn't have awareness he's the head of the state. he's the president. all these people report for him.
10:13 pm
that he is tearing down the fbi. tearing down the department of justice. and supposed to be the person who it their boss. he doesn't care about the cost of defending himself. which is diminishing public confidence in law enforcement. which will make the job much tougher. he's making this country less safe by getting people to believe the fbi is part of this nefarious conspiracy. they won't cooperate in the future. it's a clear violation i would say. >> deep state is him. and the people -- >> he is. and the conspiracy is really him. and nunes and sean hannitity and all these people. pushing this crazy conspiracy theory to defend donald trump. >> i want to keep you around. the second will be with the gang of eight. the first one will include the white house chief of steph.
10:14 pm
deputy attorney general rod rosenstein. christopher wray. dan coats. nunes and gowdy. along with fbi and doj briefers and staff. the second one will be kelly. rosenstein. wray, coats and the members of the gang of eight. gowdy and -- everyone stick with me. more about exactly what kind of questions that robert mueller's team asked jared kushner. they don't sound one bit like a witch hunt. ♪ ♪ ♪ raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ♪ ♪ bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens ♪ ♪ brown paper packages tied up with strings ♪ ♪ these are a few of my favorite things ♪ ♪ ♪
10:15 pm
♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller ♪i'm gonna follow the sun♪ ♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller ♪i'm gonna follow the sun transitions™ light under control™
10:16 pm
no one thought much of itm trat all.ls™ people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here. pah! thano, no, no, nah.k. a bulb of light?!? aha ha ha! a flying machine? impossible! a personal' computer?! ha! smart neighborhoods running on a microgrid. a stadium powered with solar. a hospital that doesn't lose power. amazing. i like it. never gonna happen.
10:17 pm
(baby crying) ♪ fly ♪ me to the moon (elegant music) ♪ and let me play (bell rings) breaking news tonight, the justice says there's going to be two classified briefings tomorrow. we'll continue to talk about that. we still don't know whether president trump will ever sit down with mueller. the president's son-in-law, jared kushner had his second interview with mueller's team last month.
10:18 pm
an interview that lasted seven hours. back with john dean and max booth. john, kushner's attorney was on with wolfe blitzer today. he was questioned last month about russian collusion. listen to this. >> we basically followed their lead and the topics were what were the appropriate topics. you foe that they're being thorough looking at the campaign, and by campaign the issue they're investigating is there's something called clug, -- collusion whatever that means to people. they're looking to see if there was some sort of undue influence put on, particularly russia. that i have been looking at post-inauguration issues, firing of james comey. >> so if saying mueller was asking the appropriate question this wouldn't be witch hunt then.
10:19 pm
>> it sounds like he's being very candid and he would be in a position to know exactly what those questions were. so, no, this will not bolster the witch hunt argument at all. >> after the president's former attorney john dowd quit, mueller he called it terrific. he told the national law review people trusted each other, there were no misunderstanding. it was all conspiracy peddling that we're seeing right now. part of trump and giuliani's new strategy. to under mine the investigation. is that what it is? >> he's out there as kind of an attack dog for the president, snarling against mueller saying he's going to rip apart the investigation, it's all ill legitimate, calling his former colleagues storm troopers for exercising a lawful search warrant. this is a strategy the president
10:20 pm
is waging because it's clear he does not have the facts on his side and he's quite worried i suspect, especially about the obstruction of justice charge. he's trying to undermined the mueller investigation, attack the doj and the fbi, i think he has good cause for worry. my concern ultimately, i'm concerned that this presidential strategy, which is completely at odds with the rule of law, the constitution and the truth itself, my concern stat strategy may nevertheless will working because it's resonating with this republican base that is willing to protect trump at all cost. >> so, charley, then, your colleagues or former colleagues, i imagine they're smart people. why are they such enablers, why won't they stand up for this? what is going on? >> well, i've had some
10:21 pm
frustration with some of my colleagues on this matter. i've said to them repeatedly. you work with the president and the administration when they're on the right track. if they're moving in a bad direction you need to check them. if they're going off the rails, at least that's what's happening right now, you have to call the president out on this. and i think that's the appropriate thing today. max is right, by the way, as a political strategy, i think the white house or the president is succeeding. because he has essentially tainting the investigation. whatever mueller finds a large number of people will say the facts are tainted. as a legal strategy i don't think this is necessarily helping anybody who is under investigation. how many people have been indicted. others have pled in mueller's not going to pay attention as i suspect. to my colleagues, i say as a matter of survival you need to have your own brain and identity. the you're going to be seen as
10:22 pm
an enabler or facilitator you're going to have a tough time this november. jared kushner getting his secure clearance back as robert mueller begins to center another adviser. is mullers investigation coming to a critical peak? or just starting to amp up. >> vo: they're getting more out of life
10:23 pm
10:24 pm
by starting with miracle-gro potting mix and plant food. together, guaranteed to produce three times the harvest. more to enjoy... to share. three times the harvest. one powerful guarantee. miracle-gro.
10:25 pm
if you'd have told me three years ago... that we'd be downloading in seconds, what used to take... minutes. that guests would compliment our wifi. that we could video conference... and do it like that. (snaps) if you'd have told me that i could afford... a gig-speed. a gig-speed network. it's like 20 times faster than what most people have. i'd of said... i'd of said you're dreaming. dreaming! definitely dreaming. then again, dreaming is how i got this far. now more businesses in more places can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. the justice department says it will have two classify briefings tomorrow. one at noon for the house of
10:26 pm
chairmans, along with white house chief of staff, john kelly. the second one, just two hours later with the congressional gang of eight, nancy pelosi plus gowdy and kelly again. i want to bring in dana bash. dana maybe you can explain this to me. i'm not sure what's going on. why not have just one meeting tomorrow with a bipartisan group? >> you know exactly what's going on because that's exactly the question, don. i've been covering congress a long time. to me the idea is that it took this kind of public pressure on the white house and on republicans in the house to have the most basic bipartisan meetings on the most historically bipartisan issue, which is national security is mind boggling. and first and foremost, they -- okay they pressured the justice department and the white house,
10:27 pm
really, to have this gang of eight meeting, which means republican and democratic heads of the intelligence committees and the republican and democratic leaders, the four top leaders in the house and the senate. it doesn't make any sense that this shouldn't just be the meeting. the only reason to have a separate meeting with just two republicans on the house intel committee is to have a partisan discussion. this isn't a partisan issue, it's fine for republicans and democrats to have meetings amongst themselves, but not when you're talking about something like this. it just -- there's not even a whisper of anything other than the fact that this is a strategy meeting. it is not a briefing and oversight situation. >> we had a lot of news toot in the russian investigation, dana, you say the team leads drops by mueller is interesting.
10:28 pm
what do you mean by that? >> first and foremost we saw in court that the mueller team said they are going to sentence george papadopoulos. this is somebody who that i have been trying to get information for for months and month and months. he has been cooperating. the fact that they are sentencing him means they're done getting information. that was an indication, perhaps that things were chugging along until tonight. tonight there was a different court filing, technically to by the way back media request to seal documents in the russian investigation. as their defense or push back, what was filed, it specified that the investigation consist of multiple lines of inquiry with the -- within the scope of the authority. it goes on to say that many
10:29 pm
aspects of the investigation are factually and legally interconnected. they involve overlapping course of conduct, relationships. it finally says the investigation is not complete and its details remain nonpublic. the laymen's term is back off, we got a lot more work today. so, that really -- and it's the most specific explanations of where they are in their investigation that we've really gotten to day from the mueller team. >> dana, always appreciate it about capitol hill whisper. thank you so much. now michael moore, the former district of jackson. >> thank you. >> we'll talk about jared kushner and what wen went on. let's talk about this breaking news now. what is going on here, jack?
10:30 pm
>> with the -- >> why not have one meeting? the meeting with nunes, gowdy and those guys, then you're going to have another meeting. >> this is an echo that they wen through with the nunes report and partisan nature of that exercise. the republicans and trump forces, they want to get their story straight. more to the point, they're trying to shape the narrative. the reason they wanted to get into the republican side in advance is because they want to get their story out ahead of time. they want to frame the issue here. this is -- this is shaping a story, not searching for truth, that's the fundamental problem. >> you agree with that? >> i do. i think this is best follow after giuliani came out and said i'm not going to let my man talk until we know what's being said. >> but --
10:31 pm
>> to spin it. >> they recognize if they got a problem winning in a court of law when the facts they have. so, now we're spinning the public of court opinion out there. >> i need you to comment on what dana said. the relief tees here, back off we got a lot of work to do. >> i think that's true. you got one guy being sentenced, his cooperation at this point -- there's ways to cut back and set aside the fact. he could have a rule 35. he could have the gofr come back in to -- this is just one individual. you got indictments, trials coming up, russian indimes and the investigation going on. i don't think there's anything that indicate to us -- >> so, them trying to get the information to spin it, does that affect the investigation and how mueller's going to handle. because they get the information
10:32 pm
and give it to the lawyers -- >> it does not affect what special counsel's going to do. >> i think we're all watching the special counsel keep his head down, plow ahead, he's not responding to any of this publicly. but, you know, clearly they want to -- you know, in world war ii we had the big lie technique. they said if you repeat often enough a really big lie people begin to believe it. you've seen the erosion of support on the republican side for special counsel mueller. it's shocking to me because he's leading a team of people who are dedicated members of the premiere law enforcement agency in the world. people who are making police pay to, you know, keep america safe, and they're tearing them down. >> yeah.
10:33 pm
>> they are selling the reputations of the people and undermining the investigation itself. it's also because they need to stem the narrow and get people on their side. >> it's really harmful. the truth always comes out in the end, it comes out in the rinse, right? i'm wondering how long it will take for it to come on and how much damage it's going to do. i want to move on though. jared kushner, his attorney was on with wolfe blitzer saying now he has the secure clearance back and cooperating. is he clear if this investigation owner? >> i don't think he's clear. a security clearance has nothing to do with the mueller investigation. this means they were able to look at the fact he failed to disclose all his business relationships and contacts he had with folks overseas. it doesn't clear him as far as the investigation goes. >> what do you think, he's in close proximity to the president and would be someone they're
10:34 pm
looking to get information from. do you think he's clear? >> he's clear only in the terms of having his security clearance. i agree, that does not mean anything about the investigation. i don't want to bebruj him, congratulation on getting that security clearance, but it has nothing to do with the mueller investigation. >> of course, how long did it take though to get it? how many times did he get the wrong information, or miswrote or what ever it is. >> it took a long time and there were numerous numerous numerous omissions that had to be cleared up. but speaking how long it takes, these investigations take a long time. think about white wear, think about water gate. >> years. >> all of those investigations took more than four years.
10:35 pm
mueller actually is on a pretty rapid pace right now with the number of charges he's brought already. he's way ahead of those schedules. i've got to run. everyone should not get too ahead or forward on these skis? >> no we just getting to going. there's plenty more. >> it's amazing when the president says there's no collusion have been shown anything. we are in the second inning of a long baseball. >> we always say here on cnn, there could be nothing but we don't know because the investigation is still ongoing. >> and the good men and women conducting that investigation deserve to be able to do their job. when we come back our breaking news, congressional gang of eight invited to hear information from the fbi in the second two briefings tomorrow. that's next.
10:36 pm
i'm 85 years old in a job where. i have to wear a giant hot dog suit. what? where's that coming from? i don't know. i started my 401k early, i diversified... i'm not a big spender. sounds like you're doing a lot. but i still feel like i'm not gonna have enough for retirement. like there's something else i should be doing. with the right conversation, you might find you're doing okay. so, no hot dog suit? not unless you want to. no. schedule a complimentary goal planning session today with td ameritrade®.
10:37 pm
this one's below market price and has bluetooth. same here, but this one has leather seats! use the cars.com app to compare price, features and value. thethe more you know theme, commute is worth it. for all the work you pour into this place, you sure get a lot more out of it. you and that john deere tractor... so versatile, you can keep dreaming up projects all the way home. it's a longer drive. but just like a john deere, it's worth it. nothing runs like a deere. now you can own a 1e sub-compact tractor for just 99 dollars a month. learn more at your john deere dealer.
10:38 pm
10:39 pm
the justice department says it will have two classified briefings tomorrow. one at noon for nunes and the
10:40 pm
second two hours will lair congressional gang of eight which includes nunes, gowdy and kelly. joining me now a california democrats who sits on the intelligence. moments ago we learned about this mee meeting happening tomorrow. what do you think, why not one or two? >> why whiny meeting at all? of course, if a meeting's going to take place, you should have republicans and democrats there so there's no distortion of the facts. we've seen time and time again chairman nunes and aided vice speaker ryan, a perversion of what's been happening in this case. the claims to trump tower -- i prefer to see one meeing so the democrats can ensure there's no
10:41 pm
misinformation put out to the public. >> so, earlier today in the day your colleague represented joaquin castro atroeched nunes on the floor and said the -- was ready to go. he said i'm not going to play this game. are democrats the one playing games? >> no, what we're trying to do, don is to stand up for the rule of law. america is an idea. the idea where you can work hard and become anything, no matter where you come from. you have a rule of law to make sure there's always a check on those empowered. and that idea right now is under assault. we never thought it had be under assault from anyone other than the russians now it's under assault by donald trump and his fixers in congress. paul why yan, i hope will do is to stand up to devin nunes and say enough is enough. this is more than just protecting the president --
10:42 pm
>> good luck with that. >> it's about prek protecting democracy. >> paul ryan announced moments ago he's not even going to the meeting. he's been asleep at the wheel allowing this to happen. heb he's not going. it's crazy. >> well, are you worried, because you're there, these are your colleagues, your in proximity of president, these are norms that are just being-blown through, busted, ignored, are you worried? >> yeah. you know what worries me is that my constituents come up to me and told me about these norms that are being violated and scratching their head asking what's going on. i tell them, it's not you, it's them. we're not helpless, we in congress are able to check an executive that's out of control our constitution allows us to do that. republicans i think are dangerous -- >> you say that but nothing's being done.
10:43 pm
you come leer and tell it to the world but nothing happens, they're still meeting without you guys tomorrow. >> hold on tight, don we got five more months until the election seeing the american people all across the country i think they're going to hold accountable anyone who looking the other way. or enables this president. as fixers in congress. >> here's what trump said today. >> all you have todd is look at the basis and you'll see it, looks like a very serious event, but we'll find out. when they look at the documents, i think people are going to see a lot of bad things happen. i hope t not so. if it is it's never been anything like it in the history of our country. >> i hope it's not true but looks like it is. >> several thing here, looks like, i think, i hope, i hope. now he's building an
10:44 pm
investigation of investigator on i hope, i think, i hope, many people have said. he's making accusations with no evidence. this is gaslighting. >> thfls like the birth certificate claims he made many years ago against president barack obama. the if, if, if, that's not evidence, it's throwing out the smoke bomb. russia attacked us. those are two things that we should investigate and he is preventing us from doing that. the only way to make sure those investigations go through are for republicans to stand up for this democracy and stop protecting a president not worthy of their evers. >> congressman thank you so much. when we come back we'll get down to the facts and go through how the fbi works can confidential sources. that's next.
10:45 pm
what's critical thinking like? a basketball costs $14. what's team spirit worth? (cheers) what's it worth to talk to your mom? what's the value of a walk in the woods? the value of capital is to create, not just wealth, but things that matter. morgan stanley as one of the nation's largest investors in infrastructure, we don't just help power the american dream, we're part of it. this is our era. this is america's energy era. nextera energy. this is america's energy era. sometimes a day at the ballpark is more than just a day at the ballpark. [park announcer] all military members stand and be recognized. sometimes fans cheer for those who wear a different uniform. no matter where or when you served,
10:46 pm
t-mobile stands ready to serve you. that's why we're providing half off family lines to all military. ♪ ♪ ♪ raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ♪ ♪ bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens ♪ ♪ brown paper packages tied up with strings ♪ ♪ these are a few of my favorite things ♪ ♪ ♪
10:47 pm
♪ these are a few of my favorite things ♪ i no wondering, "what if?" uncertainties of hep c. i let go of all those feelings. because i am cured with harvoni. harvoni is a revolutionary treatment for the most common type of chronic hepatitis c. it's been prescribed to more than a quarter million people. and is proven to cure up to 99% of patients who've have had no prior treatment with 12 weeks. certain patients can be cured with just 8 weeks of harvoni. before starting harvoni, your doctor will test to see if you've ever had hepatitis b,
10:48 pm
which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after harvoni treatment. tell your doctor if you've ever had hepatitis b, a liver transplant, other liver or kidney problems, hiv or any other medical conditions and about all the medicines you take including herbal supplements. taking amiodarone with harvoni can cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. common side effects of harvoni include tiredness, headache and weakness. ready to let go of hep c? ask your hep c specialist about harvoni. james comey is pushing back today on president trump's escalating attacks against the fbi and encouraging americans to learn the fax. so let's discuss those facts with cnn counterterrorism
10:49 pm
terrorist phillip mud and national security analyst shawn turner. gentlemen, thank you so much for join us. good evening. >> thanks, don. >> former fbi director james comey tweeted this out today in response to president trump's attacks against the fbi. facts matter. the fbi's use of confidential human source, the actual term, is tightly regulated and essential to protecting the country. attacks on the fbi and lying about its work will do lasting damage to our country. how will republicans explain this to their grandchildren? so phil, walk us through how the fbi uses confidential human sources and how this is different from spying. >> let me explain the difference. the president is confusing like santa claus and frosty the snowman. they both live in the same place but they're not the same person. let's talk about a spy. if you want to understand north
10:50 pm
korea, you want to understand what we call in the spy business plans and intentions. what are the north koreans thinking about at a high level about their nuclear program. what do they plan to do in the past? what do they plan to do in the future in a negotiation about their nuclear weapons? you want the whose whol pizza pie. in this case in the russia investigation i want an informant. i don't need to know about plans and intentions related to the campaign. i don't need to know about what donald trump thinks about hillary clinton. there's a tiny slice of the pie i need to know. that is we have information that people involved in the campaign think george papadopoulos had advance information about stolen e-mails from the democrats. i want to understand from an informant whether people are talking about that in the campaign and whether they indicate they did in fact know about those stolen e-mails before the public did. that's frosty the snowman. what the president's talking about is santa claus. they are not the same, don. that's a different story. spies, informants, not the same.
10:51 pm
>> shawn, it was george papadopoulos who blabbed about hillary's stolen e-mails to an australian diplomat that started the investigation in the first place. so didn't they bring this investigation on themselves? >> not only did they bring it on themselves but now they are attacking the fbi for doing exactly what the fbi should have done in this case. look, phil's absolutely right. i would extend that a step even further. the president is misrepresenting to the american people in his haste to attack the fbi, he's misrepresenting what the fbi was trying to accomplish. if the fbi believe there was credible information that let's say there were russian operatives that were trying to infiltrate the trump campaign and they were trying to co-opt campaign election officials in their efforts to do so, the fbi has a responsibility to take a look at that and to find out what's going on there. so when you look at this -- i look at this from the other end. what exactly were they trying to accomplish vis-a-vis president trump? president trump wants people to believe, particularly a sector
10:52 pm
of the public to believe that the fbi was focused on him, that he was the target, that he was under attack. the truth is that the fbi was much more interested in what the russians may have been doing and what individuals with his campaign have been doing in their collaboration with the russians. so yes, they brought this on themselves and now they're attacking the process. >> so phil, president trump tweeted this out today. he said, "if the person placed very early into my campaign wasn't a spy, put there by the previous administration for a political purposes, how come such a seemingly massive amount of money was paid for services rendered, many times higher than normal?" that was earlier in the week that he did that. what money has a confidential source received exactly? are they routinely paid? what's the deal with that? >> let me cut to the chase here. i spent 25 years in the spy business at both the cia and the fbi. i never remember a single circumstance dealing with cia directors and also 4 1/2 years
10:53 pm
with director mueller where the white house directed us to put a spy into a political campaign. the white house doesn't tell the cia and the fbi how to run operations. to suggest the white house was actually involved in inserting somebody in the campaign is absurd. the point about payment, if the informant is working for the fbi as a contractor or an employee, of course they're going to get paid. i get paid. you get paid. if they're working on behalf not only of the fbi but of the u.s. government, i'm going to cut them a paycheck. so i'm going to assume the informant here got a paycheck because he's working at the behest of the u.s. government. sure, he got paid. >> and don, there are very specific guidelines, there is actually a book, it's the guideline for the use of confidential informants that lays out all the rules with regard to paying confidential informants. i can just tell you, and i've reviewed this book in great detail, there are a lot of checks and balances with regard to the use of these confidential informants. and yes, there are situations in which they can get paid.
10:54 pm
but these are not freelancers who are out there doing what they want to do. they are really closely under the thumb of the fbi. >> i want to play this because i really want to get your response. at a hearing today on capitol hill the secretary of state, mike pompeo, was asked about the notion of a deep state and trump's assertion that it exists. >> i don't believe there's a deep state at the state department. >> that's your experience also when you interact with colleagues at the fbi and department of justice as well? >> yes. there are always exceptions to every rule. i've never led an organization that didn't have bad actors. >> so phil, sounds like he's refuting the president's allegation. so do you think that's going to change the president's twitter feed? >> no. but i mean, we've been at this for months. let me give you the deep state. senator burr, the head of the senate committee said that the russians intervened in favor of president trump, last i checked it the attorney general who said this case is so significant that i'm going to recuse myself. it was the deputy attorney general, who's a trump nominee,
10:55 pm
who said i'm going to nominate a special counsel. it's the special counsel robert mueller, whom i've worked for, the best federal civil servant i ever saw, who was a republican nominee by president bush who said this case is so significant, i'm into year two. where's the deep state? i suppose it's, a, the republicans and, b, those tree huggers at the fbi. what is, this don? it's a joke. >> shawn, i want to get your take on the breaking news that we have that there's going to be two briefings that are going to happen tomorrow, one with kelly, nunes, gowdy, the second with the gang of eight and all the exact same people from the first meeting. shouldn't the intelligence community have agreed to that? >> i don't think the intelligence community is happy about this briefing. and i think it's got a lot less to do with whether or not members of congress should have access to this information and much more to do with the politicization of intelligence. we know we're going to have one side of this debate, the republicans are going to look at this information and we're going to have the entire week and a
10:56 pm
long memorial day weekend in which that information is going to be talked about before others get an opportunity to go in and see that debate. that in and of itself i can tell you as i sit here tonight, that is going to result in the politicization of this information. it's going to be leaked out in ways that are favorable to one side. that's what the intelligence community is concerned about. we need to make sure under all circumstances that our intelligence is preserved and it's not used in a way to help one political party or the other. >> shawn, phil, thank you both. appreciate it. when we come back, the president turning a completely unsubstantiated rumor into a full-blown conspiracy theory. it is just the latest of many times he's done this. just how much is all this damaging the country? (baby crying) ♪ fly
10:57 pm
♪ me to the moon (elegant music) ♪ and let me play (bell rings) no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here.
10:58 pm
miracle-gro guarantees results >> vo: these neighbors are starting right. with rich potting mix and essential plant food for three times the blooms. success is sweet. miracle-gro. three times the beauty. one powerful guarantee.
10:59 pm
if you'd have told me three years ago...
11:00 pm
that we'd be downloading in seconds, what used to take... minutes. that guests would compliment our wifi. that we could video conference... and do it like that. (snaps) if you'd have told me that i could afford... a gig-speed. a gig-speed network. it's like 20 times faster than what most people have. i'd of said... i'd of said you're dreaming. dreaming! definitely dreaming. then again, dreaming is how i got this far. now more businesses in more places can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. 11:00 p.m. on the east coast. live with new developments tonight including the justice department saying it will have two classified briefings tomorrow. one at noon for house intelligence chairman devin nunes and oversight chairman trey gowdy and the doj. along with white house chief of staff john kelly. the second, just two hours later, with congressional -- t

45 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on